2. Homeowners
  3. Swim Spas

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Interested in obtaining a swim spa at home? Michael Phelps Swim Spas offers a variety of swim spa models to help you choose what best fits your needs. The team at Michael Phelps Swim Spas understands that you may not have the time to go and practice at a pool every day, so we decided to bring it to you. Designed by Michael Phelps and his coach, Bob Bowman, the Michael Phelps Swim Spas are designed to meet a range of health and wellness needs. Contact us today to learn more about the products.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2017

I wanted an alternative between not having a pool versus having a full-blown pool. The Michael Phelps swim spa served the purpose of having a swimming pool, and at the same time, a spa. I have the 18-feet model which is a twin with a spa on one side and a pool on the other. The features are good on both sides. I like the design and the utilization of all the area and parts. Based on my research, there were more features that I wanted that were in this one versus the other. I also liked the quality that I saw when I physically saw the various ones. Not that I saw too many which of the ones I saw. It felt like this was a little more durable than the others. But the cost is way too much considering the amount of maintenance and work that is required. In hindsight, if I look back, I would have probably built a pool.

Maybe my experience was a little bit outlier. The very first thing that happened to my experience was that they delivered the unit. So, they took all of that, the crane and they put it, set it up. And then when the electrician came to install, they looked under the hood and they said, “Oh! Wait a minute. The whole engine and the compressor is not there. This is a unit only with the body.” Somehow, the QA passed without even making the basic check that this unit didn’t have the heart of the system. The gentleman was quite apologetic and he did say, “We’ll take care of it. We’ll do what is required to change it,” and so on. Of course, at their expense, they brought a crane again. They lifted it out again then brought the other unit which had the thing. So that itself was a big blow and a disappointment for me that a company this big. I got to isolate the gentleman who tried to fix this versus the actual fact because he did, Mike did a good job.

Maybe I should have done a little more research on my side before I decided to do this. I was led to believe that the maintenance is almost negligible or very little in terms of day-to-day or weekly. But the amount of maintenance that is required to keep the system running is way beyond what I expected. Literally, I’ve owned it for about three years and I used it three times. It was very disappointing the amount of work that is required to just use that. Me and my family just used it once and then we get out of the pool, and there is the amount of change that is required to clean the filter, put in this, wait for something, then check the litmus, if that changes, put this one, put that one, keep it going – It is just unbelievable. Don’t ever buy one. I’m still going to my swimming pool. I still got membership at my local swimming center.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas response

Hello Shri. We're so sorry to hear that you haven't been enjoying your swim spa. Our goal here at Master Spas is to make sure that all of our customers are satisfied with their purchase. I have forwarded your review to our customer care department. They will be looking over the information and will be following up with you via email soon. Thank you for the feedback - we really appreciate it.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I saw their full-page ad in a magazine when I was flying. It was a nice sell and then I had a pretty good experience emailing them back and forth. We decided to buy the MP Force Deep. The swim test is what nailed it. We wanted our swim spa to be deeper but not so deep and we planned to use it for our fitness too. So, the MP Force Deep may be above and beyond our general needs, but we have a family of eight. Since having it, everybody’s more fit. On the first month, we were all just tired all the time. But we’re getting fitter because we’re still doing the same level of activity or more and we’re not so tired all the time. We’re always in the swim spa at least once or twice a day. We love it and we're generally confident that it’s not going to break and it’s going to last for a long time.

We had a great experience with the person who came and showed us how to change the filters and we had to install the thing that holds the cover. But I’m having this kind of standoff by email with the main person at East Coast Spa. I said, “I’m scared it’s coming and I wanna make sure I have extra chemicals and extra filters. So tell me what to buy.” Maybe she thought I was lazy, that I couldn’t figure out myself but I actually couldn’t figure out myself. She used some words that I didn’t know. So I used those words to go to their swim spa supply store and select some things from the list. Her response was still kind of iffy. So I ended up getting a filter that I don’t even know if it’s one of the filters that work. She said it was a busy time for them right now, but it’s like a $40,000 investment for us so it was awkward.

There’s no general guidance about how to use the chemicals for my swim spa. After people sell it, they don’t care about what you do with the chemicals. So I’m just doing it myself but that was unpleasant. They were reachable but it was very terse. At one point, she had misspelled the term and I said, “Is this what you want?” and then she wrote back in all caps, “YES”. That’s way too much. We got the swim spa so we won’t have any stress but that was incredibly stressful. There was also no way that you can figure out from the manual how to make the light constant. I know it’s a small thing, but it was really frustrating that I didn’t have anybody to talk to about it.

Then we called Master Spas. I’m not going to call East Coast Spas again so I talked to the Master Spas people and they sent a very limited email response back, didn’t make any sense. So I followed-up with a call. I tried and it didn’t work. Then I called them and it was really horrible that the first thing I heard was, “Because of liability issues, essentially you’re not gonna get any technical support.” It was just a robot. It’s not a person saying it. It’s really awful and unpleasant. But I didn’t follow the instructions ‘cause it said, “Call back when you have the serial number.” So I got a person and I said that, “I don’t have my serial number." He said, “Just turn it on, turn it off.” I said, “Well, what about the instructions, they tell you to go to preferences. And then the different color of the lights, there’s no way to actually select one.” He’s like, “Oh, I never heard of that before.”

The information he gave me was actually correct. So it worked but it is inconsistent with the instructions in the manual that describe how the preference features work. It just was a small thing. So our swim spa is an amazing, life-changing thing. But the fact that I feel I’m going to get yelled at when I ask questions about the chemical, it’s really uncomfortable.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I bought the Michael Phelps Signature Swim Spa for exercise. I did some research, read and found out that the current that’s created by the propellers was the best way to go. I love it but I'm very disappointed with the soft tread on the bottom because it’s peeling up. When it was first installed, I also had some serious issues with one of the modules that it had to be replaced twice. The owner’s manual was also worthless and lacking. Plus the swim spa didn’t come with any helpful hints on how to set it up and get the water in it. Then when they delivered the swim spa, they brought the wrong cover and the whole thing was a fiasco. Although my dealings with their customer service have been okay most of the time except when I called about the soft tread peeling up because the young man on the phone was not friendly, overall, it’s a great product and I would tell my friends to purchase one.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I purchased the Momentum Deep from Michael Phelps Swim Spa for workout and relaxation purposes because of the propulsion system and the fact that Phelps put his name on it. It was very expensive, but my interaction with the sales guy went well. Because of the Momentum Deep's size, the installation was a challenge and they had to crane it back. The features are good and I like them, including the swim spa and the Jacuzzi. However, there are some things that could be designed differently. There's water that gets trapped up by the controls. All they had to do is tilt it up a little bit more to make sure any water that splashes on the side flows back in. I've had it up and running for about three months, and so far, it's all right and everything that I thought it would be. My girls are Olympic level swimmers and they can swim faster than it can push them.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I want to swim and wanted the Michael Phelps system as opposed to the other brand that Master Spas have on some spas. When I was looking to buy one, I went to an exhibit that they were doing in Atlanta. They had a bunch of spas there and I met a guy from Michael Phelps Swim Spas. He was helpful and showed me all the features of the new one. Then I got home and realized that the one I was looking at was the 17 feet model. I measured the space that I have and it wasn’t gonna fit. We had to go with 14. But nobody explained to me when I got it that it wasn’t gonna have all the features of the new model and that was kind of disappointing. I was a little frustrated and I felt that it was a little misleading, but I don’t think it was intentional. It doesn’t have as many difference from speeds as the one they showed and I love the Wi-Fi connectivity with the app. It has a different filtration system, but they gave me a nice discount on giving an older model.

Then, I dealt with the local dealership for the delivery and it was not great. They're really nice but they were originally going to use a crane to deliver this thing because I live in a pretty small lot in the middle of the city. But then they decided they could put it up on its side and they could get it into our gate. They did but the guys moving it weren’t really equipped to do that. They were trying to roll it on these plastic tubes and they broke a corner of the acrylic off of it. But they had a great repair guy who made it go away so that was good. I felt terrible for them because they were really working hard but they didn't have the tools that they needed. Also, they were super creative. It was like the Egyptians building a pyramid because they were trying to use levers and pulleys and there were no power tools.

I liked my swim spa and I use it regularly. The propulsion is actually not nearly as powerful as I thought it would be so I got a tether. But I couldn’t get the workout that I thought I'd be able to get swimming without the tether. I would overtake the system, which I was surprised by because it's supposed to work on Michael Phelps when he's a little faster than me. There's the accessory kit that you get with the spas and you can use the belt and the two-sided hook and swim with it and it works fine. But it was pretty underpowered and made me think it's a little overpriced.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have done a little bit more research and really understand more about the propulsion system and the other options, but I'm happy to have it and it's working for me. Also, I get to swim more often which is nice. I get home from work, go out in the backyard and get to swim at night where previously, I'd have to go to a pool somewhere and then fight with other people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Michael Phelps Swim Spas?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I tried out a Master Spa jet one and another Korean brand, and the Michael Phelps Signature 2014 swim spa was the one I liked. Endless Pools are a lot more expensive and the Michael Phelps one is a good deal. I wouldn’t want to spend a full price on one of them by any means, since they're a little overpriced. I got ours for $26,000, which was a good price, because we bought a floor model. However, it's still overpriced based on its features but I think that it's a good quality product for what I got it for. The delivery was good but the team was four hours late. It cost us a little money since we had a guy with a crane ready to pick it up and set it on the platform. We then put the unit in-ground in our house so it's indoors.

So far, we love our unit. It's convenient, relaxing, and it meets my needs. I like swimming in it and my kids also love playing in it. I liked its flow more than its jets, which are like hose in your face, and I also like how deep it is. Michael Phelps is welcome to try it. However, its touch pad can sometimes be a bit tacky and won't work when my hands are wet.

Original review: July 3, 2017

The Michael Phelps Swim Spa I bought two months ago is for exercise. The model we bought was The Force, and we love it. We also love its swim jet. Other spas have more jet propulsion but theirs has a propeller. I love swimming in it, and the experience has been enjoyable.

Original review: June 29, 2017

We bought a Michael Phelps Swim Spa because we wanted the best one for swimming and because I like that its jets were not a separate item like endless pools. My wife has some issues with her leg and I actually ran into a problem with my work where I tore all my ligaments. With Michael Phelps Pool Spa, both of us still are able to exercise. It takes the stress off our lives. Another reason is that they don't have bubbles and that I can get a service with my person instead of getting something outside, which is hard. It's also better quality from my understanding, and you can see the bottom which is very important to us.

We love the model that we got but we weren't aware that the pipes had goo in it and have to be emptied and refilled. They sprayed the pipes on the inside and we’re just told to empty it and refill it. Two weeks into buying the pool, I thought there were some real problems with it. But the pool is absolutely wonderful, we love it, and we're very pleased with it. We use it four times a week easily.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We considered an in-ground concrete pool but they were very expensive and we couldn’t put it in my backyard. I have grandchildren and I couldn’t watch over them if the pool was put on the side of the house. We got the Michael Phelps swim spa because it was cheaper and we had a deck built around it. It was also contained in a glassware or plastic room built at the back of the house so we won’t be bothered by mosquitoes and I can watch over my grandchildren. It was a big renovation and the best we could do. Plus, I can get the exercise needed for my arthritis. I love the times I’ve been in the pool and it really gives you a workout. I don’t have the swelling in my feet and arthritis when I wake up the next morning and I like that.

I used to go to a spa every day to swim when we lived in California and I don’t have that opportunity here in Georgia because the drive distance is crazy. It’s wonderful and a good option for us and my grandchildren to be able to use this at home. It was just big enough for me to kind of do a lap or two and exercise. We had an in-ground pool when we were in California so I didn’t spend a lot of time looking around at other companies.

My husband and I went to a show and bought the floor model onsite and I’m sure the one they delivered was not the one on the floor and the guy who owns the company said, “Well if I show it, I'll just give you guys another one.” That’s what he did and we were really happy with it. Someone from the technical part of the store came out and gave us a lesson on how to use our pool and spa. I asked him about attaching the oars but he didn’t really know about that since he hadn't sold this model before and I still haven’t used them because my only problem is just attaching this equipment.

Our pool's excellent, solid, seamless and elegant. I would like to see a little improvement on that loose sight plastic glass that’s between the spa and the pool part. It's not quite high enough and we get some run-over from the spa to the pool. One other situation is with the therapeutic jets. I understand that they're made to be completely out of the water but I worry about them burning out. The guy who came out said, “Keep your water level below those jets.” And I just don’t quite understand that. I'm fearful that we will damage the spa that way. I was going to call the store and let them know of my apprehensions and see if they could do something about it. But overall I’m really satisfied with it. It's just the small things that need to be tweaked and I don't know if they can. Maybe it’s something I don’t understand that can be easily remedied by a demonstration or an explanation.

Also, I would like to be able to choose the lights to one color like red or blue and not have them always changing to other colors. I’m a 64-year-old woman and that thing is actually for younger party people so it's not something that I'm happy to share with a friend. Other than that, I think it's a safe, beautiful, well-built item and I will buy it again if I had to do it all over.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas response

Hi Aginah! We're so happy to hear that you and your grandchildren are enjoying your swimspa and that it has been able to help with your arthritis! To answer a couple of your questions, the lighting can be changed to be one solid color. To do so, go to the preferences menu on your topside control. Once there, select the "color" option and continue to press select until you reach the desired color. Also, we have a guide on how to install the exercise equipment that I will send to your email address shortly. Thank you for the feedback! We greatly appreciate it.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I purchased two spas, a Michael Phelps and an Endless Pool. The prices are about the same, but Endless Pool would not help me get it into the ground. They would drop it at a shipping point in Carbon. I had to get it and put it where I was gonna place it. But Phelps Spas has a dealer in Des Moine and they took delivery, came and put the spa on the ground for me. We bought the MP mostly for swimming and it was the one recommended by the dealer. The stand-up jets are really the nicest ones for me ‘cause they go over my whole back so I stand there and turn it on and I can exercise my arms while I’m doing that.

I feel much better than I did before. I’m 70 years old and have arthritis. I can’t do high-impact aerobics, so learning in place in the pool, swimming and using my arms with it, mitts on, are what I can do. I had a new hip replaced and I hadn’t had any exercise for a couple years so it’s really been a godsend. However, it stopped running the other day. When I called the reps from Phelps Swim Spas, they told me there was a spike in the electricity. I needed to flip the switch and it’ll start over and it did. The reps were responsive, but the spa went out again a couple of days ago and I had to flip the switch again. I’m concerned that maybe the fuse box inside the spa is a little too sensitive.

I don’t like that the on and off switch fuse box is all the way down at the bottom and everybody puts the swim spa down. It’s five feet tall so we put it down into the ground. It has a deck around it and to take the deck up to get down there to flip a switch, it’s stupid. Also, whoever designed the damn thing never used it. There's a cleaning spa, which shoots water and the edges around the spa are concave outwards towards the spa, so there’s water that sits on these ledges instead of draining back into the pool. After spending $36,000, I’d think the little things like that would be wiped. It wasn’t perfect and I’m not absolutely happy with it. When it’s working, it’s a beautiful thing and my friends are envious of me, but for $36,000, a couple of those little things shouldn’t have happened.

Michael Phelps Swim Spas Company Information