1.68/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

294 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I received this smoker as a Christmas present 8 years ago. We live in Northern Wisconsin so in winter I didn’t want to have to deal with proper temp control with a coal or wood fueled smoker. I have used mine about 8 times a year doing brisket, ribs or fish. I use it summer and winter and have never had an issue with it. Maybe the newer ones are not built like the older ones but I love mine.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I got this smoker as a gift since I was hoping to get into smoking meats. Unpacked it, set it up and began seasoning it. And then I noticed a broken thermometer straight out of the box. Very disappointing! I sent a message to MB and I guess I'll wait to hear back on a new one. Had to cancel my first Ever attempt. After reading reviews you may be better off with a different brand.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Bought this smoker. I'm having same problem as a whole bunch of people with the Control Panel. It beeps, it shuts itself off, have to unplug it. You set the temp then go to set time and it just quits, then plug it in and it won't stop beeping. I have used it about 7 times in the last 20 months and have ruined more than one batch of fish. But for some stupid reason I keep on trying only to get more frustrated. Masterbuilt obviously has a problem with their controllers. I don't want to buy a new controller only to have it fail. I'm done throwing my money away. I cannot recommend Masterbuilt to my friends.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My husband and kids bought me the smoker 20071117 for my Mother’s Day gift. I love to cook and grill, so I was thrilled to get the smoker. We’ve used it five to six times, worked great. I’m having family and friends over for Thanksgiving and planned on smoking my turkey, so I Went to plug in my smoker and it doesn’t turned on. It’s not an outlet issue, it’s the crappy smoker. I’m devastated and will tell everyone I know to not buy Masterbuilt products. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I've had my smoker for 4 years now. Every year for the past 3 years my element will burn out for now reason. I don't use drop chords either. I ordered the part, and received someone else's part. My info on the box was correct but someone else's info inside and the part they ordered. I'm on a deadline for Thanksgiving and they refused to pay to have it overnighted since it was their fault. Now I have to wait and have my function postponed. I called the customer on the packaging slip and they had my part. This is sad and makes no sense. They say they put the customers first, but I sure can't tell.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought an electric smoker last year to smoke a turkey with. Used it twice since then and both times the control panel went on the fritz causing me to lose a brisket and a pork shoulder due to temperature and timer not acting correctly. Now this year I supposed to smoke a turkey to take to my dad's which could be his last due to a recent cancer diagnosis. I call your customer service line to explain the issue and I get told I have to shell out more money on a product that only worked once. I purchased this product from Lowe's which is where I work. What's real funny is while on hold the recording says how important my satisfaction is to them... Well I'm so unsatisfied and disgusted with this product, company and customer service that I will most definitely tell every customer looking at your product to walk away because Masterbuilt is junk. Absolute junk and customer care very useless.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have had a Masterbuilt Smoker for about a year and a half, and truly enjoyed smoking with it until last weekend when I was heating it up to smoke a pork butt and the control panel went all crazy and the smoker heated up to 300 degrees (checked it with infrared thermometer). In fear of it catching fire I unplugged it and ended up cooking the pork butt in the oven. I contacted Masterbuilt today and was on hold for a good 20 minutes before speaking with customer service only to find out there is nothing they will do and that I need to buy a new control panel. I really thought the smoker would last longer than a year and a half. I have electric table saws, grinders, drills welders that are over 20 years old that get used a hell of a lot more than this smoker ever has and they're still working. I guess I will do what everyone in the forums say and save up my money for a real smoker.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I decided to smoke up a Texas style bbq meal in celebration of Election Day. The digital control panel kept flickering on & off between temp settings which made it extremely difficult to read any of temperature & timer settings with any degree of accuracy. I removed the panel & all of the connections were snug and tight and the electricity was functioning perfectly. Needless to say the next six hours were a total guessing game. I had promised a house full of people a meal & all I did was worry! Masterbuilt has never let me down before but after this experience I certainly have my doubts.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I received this as a present for Christmas last year. I work all the time and very rarely get to use it. I have used it 3 times prior to today. This morning when I went to put my brisket in the smoker was on fire from the inside. I was going to put my meat in then leave my wife to watch it while I went to get tires rotated and balanced. I’m thankful it was already on fire before I left. I’m not sure what happened. I unplugged it immediately. I tried water hose but it’s 20 degrees and it was frozen. Grabbed a pitcher of water and put it out that way. This is the first time I’ve used the water pan, not sure what went wrong.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I love this smoker so much I bought a second one when the first one stopped working. BUT now the second one stopped working (has electrical issues). I ordered a new digital panel for now. I’m looking for a new smoker. I’m skeptical about buying this brand again but it is so well recommended and honestly does a great job when it works. I’m still researching options.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Connie, thank you for being a Masterbuilt Customer and considering our products. If we can be of any assistance, please contact our Customer Support Department at 1.800.489.1581. We are happy to assist you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Smoker worked for a few times, then caught fire underneath the unit. It could have easily started the deck on fire. This device is dangerous! Taking the unit apart did not reveal the source of the problem. Attempted to contact Masterbuilt, but you can't unless you send photos of the device and your receipt.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Chris, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our Customer Support Department directly at 1.800.489.1581 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. You can also utilize our online Support Form on our website at www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I got this smoker in Dec 2017 as a gift. Finally set it up last weekend. Woodchips do not burn. No smoke. Went onto the web and found it appears to be a design defect. Apparently there is a piece a metal between the heating element and the metal chip tray that prevents the chip tray from getting hot enough. People are removing the metal plate to get it to smoke. Unacceptable.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Scot, we hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our technical team directly at 1.800.489.1581 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. You can also utilize our online Support Form on our website at www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I purchased the smoker for my wife for Mother's Day. It took a few hours to put together. It worked beautifully for about a month. Then it would not stay lit. I emailed the address in the paperwork Manual. I never got a response. That was about 2 years ago, Talk about bad customer service. If you're from Masterbuilt and want to contact me **.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Patrick, thank you for providing your review. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our technical team directly at 1.800.489.1581 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. You can also utilize our online Support Form on our website at www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Trouble this morning with digital control would not start. After unplugging and plugging back in finally started to work. Called customer service was told over a year old I would have to buy a new control. This unit has been used 12 times and kept in a garage. I was told they have no issues with their controls. I said try looking at all the complaints on a Google search. I will not spend any money on this unit. I will try another company.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Dale, thank you sharing your experience. We would like to talk to you regarding this situation and see if we can reach a better resolution for you. If you would, please send us a message with your smoker's model number, serial number and your contact information. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I purchased this electric smoker on 8/24/18. I chose it over a less expensive model because of the Bluetooth feature. I checked requirements and I needed USB 4.0. Great! I have 4.2. So, I find out Bluetooth will not connect so I call tech support and am told, "Yes we know, there is a new app coming out in a few days."

After numerous calls, web inquiries and emails - through the non-functioning app, I get a call telling me that I might need to get a phone with at least Android version 8. The smoker part works okay. I would like it to have the capability of going up to 300, but it works. So here is the deal. Masterbuilt prides themselves as a faith-based company. After reading the app reviews, over 1,200, nearly 1,000 mentioned the Bluetooth not working... going back to 2014. This company is selling a product which they know does not function as advertised! And they are charging an additional $100 or so for it! What does that say about Masterbuilt's faith? I believe this to be fraudulent business practices and I'm thinking of contacting the A.G. office in GA and NM. Want a smoker with Bluetooth? Buy another product!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you, Dan for making us aware of your situation. We strive for a better experience than the one you have encountered. We show that since this posting, you have called and spoken with our Customer Service. Please send us a message if you still need assistance.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I purchased my smoker November of 2017 from Sam's, I loved it until in Sept in went dead. It does absolutely nothing. The company send out a replacement digital control panel and power circuit board and still nothing. Now I email the person whom I had been communicating with and now they said I need to call. The first 2 times I called I got hung up on and will now have to wait until I get off work to try again. This experience has been horrible! $329 + tax smoker and I can't get the company to get it fixed correctly!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Jennifer for taking time to share this with us. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a message with your full name, case # , smoker information, address and email. We will gladly look into your case and take the appropriate actions for you. This experience is never what we want or strive for with our customer service. We hope to hear from you soon.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt dual fuel smoker from Home Depot. When brought it home, I realized a part was missing and another was broken. I thought not a big deal, I will call them and have the parts shipped to my address and decided not to return the whole unit. That was a terrible mistake. Three weeks passed, and I didn't receive the package. Reached out to customer service again and they deferred my question to FedEx. When I reached out to FedEx they were unable to locate the package. I reached out to customer service and asked what would be my options. They never responded and ignored my message. I am very disappointed and if they don't resolve this in the next few days, will return the smoker and will buy another brand. Bottom line: I did not feel respected as a customer. For reference, in case anyone from Masterbuilt cares enough to look into this my order number was **.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Hello Reza, we are sorry to hear that this has been your experience. We are glad to assist you with your case in any way possible. Please send us a message with your name, shipping information, email and order number again. We will look into your case and order status for you. We hope to hear from you.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I was hoping that my experience with this smoker would be a pleasant one. I see now, that I am in the same position as MANY other people, who purchased one of these. Defective smokers and lack of satisfaction among consumers. I would not recommend this product.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your unit did not meet your standards. Masterbuilt would like the opportunity to assist you with your smoker. If we can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact us for warranty items, replacement parts, troubleshooting assistance, and helpful tips. You can reach us at 1-800-489-1581 or www.masterbuilt.com/support. Our hours of operations are Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I have a new smoker that is exceeding the set temperature (currently set at 200) and the smoker is 305 degrees and rising, based on two independent temperature probes. I’m so disappointed. There’s no fix for this and I’m 7 hours into a 15 hour smoke...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Wrote a review on here a few months back about 2 gas smokers that I purchased at Bass Pro shop and both smokers catching on fire. Masterbuilt contacted me after reading my review and ask for documentation as well as pictures and receipts and serial and model numbers in which I sent the information to the Masterbuilt representatives that I guess was assigned to my complaints. The representative was very helpful and would wrote me back promptly to answer my questions or concerns. Several weeks passed and the representative was in touch wanting to know if anyone else had contacted me from parts/returns department, when I said no she replied she was glad she followed up.

Well now it has been several more weeks that have passed and I have contacted same representative as well as parts/returns department and 2 other representatives who say someone would follow up within 24 hours. Well it has been weeks and still no, phone calls, text or emails. Not feeling all warm and fuzzy about Masterbuilt right now. I was a true diehard Masterbuilt customer at one time.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Used my new Masterbuilt 30 for the first time yesterday. Now I don't claim to be an expert pit boss, but, or perhaps "BUTT", I have cooked tons of meat both professionally and privately. I am 65 years old. Got into smoking meats about ten years ago and have always done the offset thing in my propane grill and developed what I thought was a nice product. However, something was missing. The product this little smokehouse delivered on the first try was an entirely new experience. It produced a rich smoke flavor that stays with Ya for a while. The meat was tender and juicy.

Added a meat probe to the process for the first time, it's the only way to go so you don't have to stick the meat every 10 minutes as it finishes cooking. The machine worked perfectly and only used about a cup of chips total and produced plenty of smoke. If you open the door for a couple seconds each time you load chips, the temp will come down a few degrees causing the heat element to come on and make the chips smoke. Surely this is not a commercial grade machine, Masterbuilt openly tells you that. "Butt" for a couple bucks this is gonna give very acceptable results.

Be sure and PRE-SEASON as directed. Note: THIS IS YOUR OVEN. CLEAN the removable parts after EVERY USE. If you slop sauce all over the inside you're gonna have to clean it up. Burned sugar doesn't make for good flavor. Old grease and fats don't make good flavor, they go rancid and taste awful. Not to mention health risks. Keep the unit covered and out of the weather. The only criticism I would have at this point is that my exhaust is on top located fairly close to the control panel so at some point expect the moist smoke to affect it somehow. I monitor this and turn the machine to the breeze to minimize this and make the smoke go the other way. In conclusion - It was LOVE at first sight BITE! I recommend this product.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We just bought the Masterbuilt 135S. Smoked some peanuts just to try it out. Worked ok I guess. The next day got a big rack of ribs. Couldn't keep temperature steady at all. Very little smoke sometimes other times it looked to be on fire couldn't get the temperature below 275 degrees. 3rd time using the smoker. A day later figured I would try a brisket. Got the smoker warmed up put the meat in let it go 30 minutes or so went out to check on it no smoke at all. Temperature over 30 pop degrees and control panel beeping. Unplugged the unit plugged it back in got it cooled down to 140 degrees set temp back to 155 watched smoker for 15 minutes heating element never shut off got over 309 degrees again. Pulled out the trusty Treager to finish the brisket. Masterbuilt is a POS. I'll contact Masterbuilt tomorrow. I don't want replacement parts. I want my money back.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Bought Masterbuilt smoker at Lowe's 4 months ago. Using it for about the 5th time and controller has become non functional. Cannot maintain over 200 degrees. Goes on and off even when set to highest temp no matter what temperature thermometer is reading. Had to tie it in place with upward traction to make it come on at all. Also paint bubbling and coming off in several areas and grease leaks down two front legs. Feel like I have thrown 150 dollars in the toilet! Certainly would strongly recommend no one else waste their money on this unit. Sorry didn't check with this website before purchase, as there are numerous exactly the same complaints!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Larry, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. If you would, please call us at 1-800-489-1581 or utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department. If you are having trouble with your smoker, we are happy to help.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Purchased new. Used once, and that first time, it worked as expected for about 12 hours, but quit early. However, the brisket was cooked and although not yet tender enough, edible. Used it a second time about a year later. It worked as expected for about 1.5 hours, but would never again allow me to set time or temp or even turn it on. So, ruined a $40 piece of meat. So, if you choose Masterbuilt, you should expect no more than 1, partially successful use. Kind of expensive at that rate. Will never purchase another Masterbuilt anything as long as I live. Will starve to death first!

Updated on 08/22/2018: Sent a copy of the review/experience I posted here about failure of smoker after 2 uses. After two days, customer service replied, "Thank you for your feedback. Sorry for your experience." So much for standing behind their junk!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Wrote a review and was asked to private message them. Still have yet to hear anything since. My smoker stopped working after 10 or so uses. I called Masterbuilt and they said it was the control panel. I paid 40.00 for a new one. Installed it and after about an hour of use the panel display dimmed to the point that I thought it was off. Then it wouldnt reach the programmed temp and then eventually shuts off like it did originally. I am going to buy another smoker but it won't be a Masterbuilt. Please dont ask me to private message you if you are not going to respond. Not only did I get taken for a ride buying the smoker in the first place. But I got taken for another buying a worthless replacement panel.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt Model 20072614, and it simply quit working reliably after only a couple months and fewer than 10 uses. The electronics unit on the smoker trips off unexpectedly. Very disappointed in this product. It was stored inside and was not exposed to the elements.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Molly for sharing this with us. Please contact our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581. Our representatives will be happy to assist you with your smoker. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SMOKERS! I own a 40 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker. I have owned it for under 2 years and have only used it 8-10 times. It is kept under a covered patio with a factory cover on it as well. Shortly after I purchased it, I began having problems turning the power off and on. I realized that I could turn it on with the remote, so I began doing that. Now it is very difficult to set the temp or cook time with either the unit or remote. I’ve also noticed that it no longer smokes or burns chips at 220 degrees.

I found an online forum with others having the same problem and telling how to cut out some of the metal near the heating element to improve on that. Both known, obvious design flaws. I called Customer support today. They offered to sell me a new control unit. (Gee, thanks). The lady I spoke with said she has the same problem with her unit and has to turn the heat up higher to achieve actual smoke from her smoker. So, when this thing works, it’s basically an outdoor oven.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Bob for reaching out. Please send of a private message with your information and your smoker's model # and serial #. We are happy to assist you with your smoker.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have a 40 inch electric smoker. It is not exposed to the elements. I am now attempting to repair the wiring that connects to the heating element, because it is a "known failure" that has not been recalled. It is a safety issue, because the connections heat up, and melt at the heating element connection. It is a huge deterrent, and I had previously recommended this brand to a number of people! This is absolutely ridiculous, and should be listed under a manufacturer recall!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you Dan for reaching out with your information and feedback. If you have not reach out to us directly, we encourage you to do so through private message or our Customer Service Department for assistance with your smoker and accurate part replacement. Many factors can cause the element and/or wiring to burn out, so the unit would not need to be listed under a recall. We look forward to helping you in any way possible. Thank you for your time.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had my 30 inch electric smoker for about a year. It has been great until about 3 weeks ago the wood chips are no longer smoking. I bought a new chip tray hoping that would help. NOPE. The heat stays at 225 and I am a seasoned person around cooking/smoking. I have read several reviews on sites all over the web and this seems to be an issue for a lot of them. I hope the 4 friends I convinced to buy the same smoker don't have this same issue and make me look bad. I don't think I will recommend this smoker to anyone going forward.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Joel, we hope that you will give us a chance to turn your opinion around. Please send us a private message or reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581 with your smoker's model number and serial number. We are glad to assist you with the unit and provide any help that we can. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Purchased Masterbuilt propane smoker last year and used the unit for the third time this year and luckily we were in backyard as the Masterbuilt smoker set to low and turned around to see a flame shooting out from underneath the unit which I turned off the gas. Inspected the unit which because of poor design which gas fed underneath the unit and close to burner burned away from connection, burned new nonmetallic flooring and melted the connection assembly. Reached out to Masterbuilt and have Case number ** with description and photos showing damage to gazebo and unit. The response was spider nest in hose which when speaking to Jalan that it’s not spiderwebs. It’s fibers in the gas line that melted and now Masterbuilt will not return emails or calls so now I will be reaching out to Consumer Affairs as I’m doing now and USA.Gov for investigation and recall because of poor design and defected pro product.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information