1.64/5

281 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Trouble this morning with digital control would not start. After unplugging and plugging back in finally started to work. Called customer service was told over a year old I would have to buy a new control. This unit has been used 12 times and kept in a garage. I was told they have no issues with their controls. I said try looking at all the complaints on a Google search. I will not spend any money on this unit. I will try another company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I purchased this electric smoker on 8/24/18. I chose it over a less expensive model because of the Bluetooth feature. I checked requirements and I needed USB 4.0. Great! I have 4.2. So, I find out Bluetooth will not connect so I call tech support and am told, "Yes we know, there is a new app coming out in a few days."

After numerous calls, web inquiries and emails - through the non-functioning app, I get a call telling me that I might need to get a phone with at least Android version 8. The smoker part works okay. I would like it to have the capability of going up to 300, but it works. So here is the deal. Masterbuilt prides themselves as a faith-based company. After reading the app reviews, over 1,200, nearly 1,000 mentioned the Bluetooth not working... going back to 2014. This company is selling a product which they know does not function as advertised! And they are charging an additional $100 or so for it! What does that say about Masterbuilt's faith? I believe this to be fraudulent business practices and I'm thinking of contacting the A.G. office in GA and NM. Want a smoker with Bluetooth? Buy another product!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I purchased my smoker November of 2017 from Sam's, I loved it until in Sept in went dead. It does absolutely nothing. The company send out a replacement digital control panel and power circuit board and still nothing. Now I email the person whom I had been communicating with and now they said I need to call. The first 2 times I called I got hung up on and will now have to wait until I get off work to try again. This experience has been horrible! $329 + tax smoker and I can't get the company to get it fixed correctly!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Jennifer for taking time to share this with us. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a message with your full name, case # , smoker information, address and email. We will gladly look into your case and take the appropriate actions for you. This experience is never what we want or strive for with our customer service. We hope to hear from you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt dual fuel smoker from Home Depot. When brought it home, I realized a part was missing and another was broken. I thought not a big deal, I will call them and have the parts shipped to my address and decided not to return the whole unit. That was a terrible mistake. Three weeks passed, and I didn't receive the package. Reached out to customer service again and they deferred my question to FedEx. When I reached out to FedEx they were unable to locate the package. I reached out to customer service and asked what would be my options. They never responded and ignored my message. I am very disappointed and if they don't resolve this in the next few days, will return the smoker and will buy another brand. Bottom line: I did not feel respected as a customer. For reference, in case anyone from Masterbuilt cares enough to look into this my order number was **.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Hello Reza, we are sorry to hear that this has been your experience. We are glad to assist you with your case in any way possible. Please send us a message with your name, shipping information, email and order number again. We will look into your case and order status for you. We hope to hear from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I was hoping that my experience with this smoker would be a pleasant one. I see now, that I am in the same position as MANY other people, who purchased one of these. Defective smokers and lack of satisfaction among consumers. I would not recommend this product.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your unit did not meet your standards. Masterbuilt would like the opportunity to assist you with your smoker. If we can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact us for warranty items, replacement parts, troubleshooting assistance, and helpful tips. You can reach us at 1-800-489-1581 or www.masterbuilt.com/support. Our hours of operations are Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I have a new smoker that is exceeding the set temperature (currently set at 200) and the smoker is 305 degrees and rising, based on two independent temperature probes. I’m so disappointed. There’s no fix for this and I’m 7 hours into a 15 hour smoke...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Wrote a review on here a few months back about 2 gas smokers that I purchased at Bass Pro shop and both smokers catching on fire. Masterbuilt contacted me after reading my review and ask for documentation as well as pictures and receipts and serial and model numbers in which I sent the information to the Masterbuilt representatives that I guess was assigned to my complaints. The representative was very helpful and would wrote me back promptly to answer my questions or concerns. Several weeks passed and the representative was in touch wanting to know if anyone else had contacted me from parts/returns department, when I said no she replied she was glad she followed up.

Well now it has been several more weeks that have passed and I have contacted same representative as well as parts/returns department and 2 other representatives who say someone would follow up within 24 hours. Well it has been weeks and still no, phone calls, text or emails. Not feeling all warm and fuzzy about Masterbuilt right now. I was a true diehard Masterbuilt customer at one time.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Used my new Masterbuilt 30 for the first time yesterday. Now I don't claim to be an expert pit boss, but, or perhaps "BUTT", I have cooked tons of meat both professionally and privately. I am 65 years old. Got into smoking meats about ten years ago and have always done the offset thing in my propane grill and developed what I thought was a nice product. However, something was missing. The product this little smokehouse delivered on the first try was an entirely new experience. It produced a rich smoke flavor that stays with Ya for a while. The meat was tender and juicy.

Added a meat probe to the process for the first time, it's the only way to go so you don't have to stick the meat every 10 minutes as it finishes cooking. The machine worked perfectly and only used about a cup of chips total and produced plenty of smoke. If you open the door for a couple seconds each time you load chips, the temp will come down a few degrees causing the heat element to come on and make the chips smoke. Surely this is not a commercial grade machine, Masterbuilt openly tells you that. "Butt" for a couple bucks this is gonna give very acceptable results.

Be sure and PRE-SEASON as directed. Note: THIS IS YOUR OVEN. CLEAN the removable parts after EVERY USE. If you slop sauce all over the inside you're gonna have to clean it up. Burned sugar doesn't make for good flavor. Old grease and fats don't make good flavor, they go rancid and taste awful. Not to mention health risks. Keep the unit covered and out of the weather. The only criticism I would have at this point is that my exhaust is on top located fairly close to the control panel so at some point expect the moist smoke to affect it somehow. I monitor this and turn the machine to the breeze to minimize this and make the smoke go the other way. In conclusion - It was LOVE at first sight BITE! I recommend this product.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We just bought the Masterbuilt 135S. Smoked some peanuts just to try it out. Worked ok I guess. The next day got a big rack of ribs. Couldn't keep temperature steady at all. Very little smoke sometimes other times it looked to be on fire couldn't get the temperature below 275 degrees. 3rd time using the smoker. A day later figured I would try a brisket. Got the smoker warmed up put the meat in let it go 30 minutes or so went out to check on it no smoke at all. Temperature over 30 pop degrees and control panel beeping. Unplugged the unit plugged it back in got it cooled down to 140 degrees set temp back to 155 watched smoker for 15 minutes heating element never shut off got over 309 degrees again. Pulled out the trusty Treager to finish the brisket. Masterbuilt is a POS. I'll contact Masterbuilt tomorrow. I don't want replacement parts. I want my money back.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Bought Masterbuilt smoker at Lowe's 4 months ago. Using it for about the 5th time and controller has become non functional. Cannot maintain over 200 degrees. Goes on and off even when set to highest temp no matter what temperature thermometer is reading. Had to tie it in place with upward traction to make it come on at all. Also paint bubbling and coming off in several areas and grease leaks down two front legs. Feel like I have thrown 150 dollars in the toilet! Certainly would strongly recommend no one else waste their money on this unit. Sorry didn't check with this website before purchase, as there are numerous exactly the same complaints!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Larry, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. If you would, please call us at 1-800-489-1581 or utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department. If you are having trouble with your smoker, we are happy to help.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Purchased new. Used once, and that first time, it worked as expected for about 12 hours, but quit early. However, the brisket was cooked and although not yet tender enough, edible. Used it a second time about a year later. It worked as expected for about 1.5 hours, but would never again allow me to set time or temp or even turn it on. So, ruined a $40 piece of meat. So, if you choose Masterbuilt, you should expect no more than 1, partially successful use. Kind of expensive at that rate. Will never purchase another Masterbuilt anything as long as I live. Will starve to death first!

Updated on 08/22/2018: Sent a copy of the review/experience I posted here about failure of smoker after 2 uses. After two days, customer service replied, "Thank you for your feedback. Sorry for your experience." So much for standing behind their junk!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Wrote a review and was asked to private message them. Still have yet to hear anything since. My smoker stopped working after 10 or so uses. I called Masterbuilt and they said it was the control panel. I paid 40.00 for a new one. Installed it and after about an hour of use the panel display dimmed to the point that I thought it was off. Then it wouldnt reach the programmed temp and then eventually shuts off like it did originally. I am going to buy another smoker but it won't be a Masterbuilt. Please dont ask me to private message you if you are not going to respond. Not only did I get taken for a ride buying the smoker in the first place. But I got taken for another buying a worthless replacement panel.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt Model 20072614, and it simply quit working reliably after only a couple months and fewer than 10 uses. The electronics unit on the smoker trips off unexpectedly. Very disappointed in this product. It was stored inside and was not exposed to the elements.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Molly for sharing this with us. Please contact our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581. Our representatives will be happy to assist you with your smoker. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SMOKERS! I own a 40 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker. I have owned it for under 2 years and have only used it 8-10 times. It is kept under a covered patio with a factory cover on it as well. Shortly after I purchased it, I began having problems turning the power off and on. I realized that I could turn it on with the remote, so I began doing that. Now it is very difficult to set the temp or cook time with either the unit or remote. I’ve also noticed that it no longer smokes or burns chips at 220 degrees.

I found an online forum with others having the same problem and telling how to cut out some of the metal near the heating element to improve on that. Both known, obvious design flaws. I called Customer support today. They offered to sell me a new control unit. (Gee, thanks). The lady I spoke with said she has the same problem with her unit and has to turn the heat up higher to achieve actual smoke from her smoker. So, when this thing works, it’s basically an outdoor oven.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Bob for reaching out. Please send of a private message with your information and your smoker's model # and serial #. We are happy to assist you with your smoker.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have a 40 inch electric smoker. It is not exposed to the elements. I am now attempting to repair the wiring that connects to the heating element, because it is a "known failure" that has not been recalled. It is a safety issue, because the connections heat up, and melt at the heating element connection. It is a huge deterrent, and I had previously recommended this brand to a number of people! This is absolutely ridiculous, and should be listed under a manufacturer recall!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you Dan for reaching out with your information and feedback. If you have not reach out to us directly, we encourage you to do so through private message or our Customer Service Department for assistance with your smoker and accurate part replacement. Many factors can cause the element and/or wiring to burn out, so the unit would not need to be listed under a recall. We look forward to helping you in any way possible. Thank you for your time.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had my 30 inch electric smoker for about a year. It has been great until about 3 weeks ago the wood chips are no longer smoking. I bought a new chip tray hoping that would help. NOPE. The heat stays at 225 and I am a seasoned person around cooking/smoking. I have read several reviews on sites all over the web and this seems to be an issue for a lot of them. I hope the 4 friends I convinced to buy the same smoker don't have this same issue and make me look bad. I don't think I will recommend this smoker to anyone going forward.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Joel, we hope that you will give us a chance to turn your opinion around. Please send us a private message or reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581 with your smoker's model number and serial number. We are glad to assist you with the unit and provide any help that we can. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2018

Purchased Masterbuilt propane smoker last year and used the unit for the third time this year and luckily we were in backyard as the Masterbuilt smoker set to low and turned around to see a flame shooting out from underneath the unit which I turned off the gas. Inspected the unit which because of poor design which gas fed underneath the unit and close to burner burned away from connection, burned new nonmetallic flooring and melted the connection assembly. Reached out to Masterbuilt and have Case number ** with description and photos showing damage to gazebo and unit. The response was spider nest in hose which when speaking to Jalan that it’s not spiderwebs. It’s fibers in the gas line that melted and now Masterbuilt will not return emails or calls so now I will be reaching out to Consumer Affairs as I’m doing now and USA.Gov for investigation and recall because of poor design and defected pro product.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Bought a Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker less than 2 weeks ago. Used it once and it worked great. Put a brisket in it today and and set it on 225... Smoker will not stay below 300 and is beeping and will then shut off. We have restarted it... Unplugged it... Opened the vent and door to let it cool down but it still shoot a straight to 300 plus degrees! I would have never bought this brand if I had known the reviews were so bad! I have a 50 dollar price of meat in this smoker that might be ruined now. This is only the second time it has been used and it is overheating badly. If I could return this I would.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Brett, We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning. Please send us a private message with your smokers model # and serial # and we would be happy to assist you with your smoker. We look forward to hearing from you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: July 14, 2018

The worst customer service ever. Takes them several days to email you back. On hold to speak to customer service on a week day 30 minutes. Ordered a part. Repeated the item to be sent MULTIPLE times. They sent the wrong part. Find an Electric Smoker Company that provides Good Customer Service. They don't.

Hello Alane,
Thank you for your feedback. This experience is never what we want with our customer service. Please send us a private message with your smoker and order information if we can assist you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Bought 2 Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite and both smoker has caught on fire. No explication of why when both smokers were clean and hoses were in working order. Loved these smokers but definitely in question to get another one.

Hello Chad,
Please send us your information regarding both of your smokers. We would be happy to assist you with the smokers.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: July 8, 2018

Bought a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker and used it about 10 times. Then went to use it and it would randomly shut off. Called Masterbuilt and told them my issue and bought a replacement control panel. I put it in and it still keeps shutting off. Sometimes it's 2 hrs before it does and sometimes it's shorter. When I first got this I thought it was the best thing I ever bought. Now it's just frustrating. Not sure if I will buy a replacement but if I do I may buy a different brand sadly.

Damien,

Please send me a private message so that I can assist you with your smoker. I would be glad to try and find a solution for your smoker's power issue. I hope to hear from your soon.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Bought the Masterbuilt smoker model number 20076514. It worked great 3 times. But the fourth time we tried to use it and the control panel started flashing an error code. After looking up the code online it said the control was broken and needing to be replaced. This is kept under an enclosed porch protected from the elements. I could understand if this was used over and over again and kept outside exposed to the elements. But after three uses it's basically useless unless we purchase a $100 part. Very very disappointed with this company and the quality of their products.

Joshua,

We are sorry to hear that is has been your experience so far. We do not have any replacements control panels that are $100 and we offer a warranty with our smokers. If you have not reached out to our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581, please send a private message and we will be glad to assist you with your smoker.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Bought a new 30" gas smoker about year and a half ago, the gas valve was bad straight out of box. Called customer service but did not get the problem solved, I had to look at people with the same problem to find out what was wrong. Bought a new gas valve and it worked fine for about 5 uses and yesterday on the 4th of July it melted the knob that adjusts the flame. Waste of money and meat.

Robert,

Please send us a private message with your smokers information so that we can assist you with your smoker. We would be glad to trouble shoot with you and reach the best solution for you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Not exactly sure about the purchase date. Let me tell you, this is the biggest piece of crap I've ever purchased. I'm not joking when I say I've only use this 6 times and the element has be replaced 2 twice already. Once shortly after I purchased it and another one maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Today the darn thing caught on fire, yep element went out again. 3 times I have failed to complete my cooking. Thank God it caught on fire without my meat in there and I was there to unplug the smoker before it really flamed up.

I'm sure the warranty is up but you guys knew there was an issue with these smokers and didn't do anything about it. I brought this topic up and was told there wasn't any known issues but based on all the complaints I see for the same topic online I know there is. I'm sure I'll get the same generic response you guys give everyone else. "Masterbuilt Smokehouses response." "We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would like the opportunity to assist you with this issue and hope you will take a moment to give us a call so that we can help you find a resolution to the issue you're having. Our number is 800-489-1581 or you can use the email submission form under the Support tab on our website: www.masterbuilt.com. We look forward to assisting you." I guess I will just follow their footsteps and leave a bad review too.

Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. If you have not already been assisted through the quoted steps in your post, please send us a private message.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife gave my an Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for Christmas of 2017. After the first month of use I observed problems with the temperature gauge. The smoker never reached the correct temperature and took twice as long to reach the temperature of 225 degrees. When cooking food it take twice as long to cook. I would clean the smoker as instructed I would still encounter the same problem. On July 3 2018 I pulled the smoker out to test it. The smoker no longer works nor will the smoker even heat up. I have not even had this product for even a year and it has completely failed. What a rip off. I would not recommend this product to anyone. A bad product deserves bad reviews.

Hello William,
We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning properly. Please send us a private message with your smokers information so that we can assist you with it.

Resolution response: Sept. 2, 2018

I want to thank Masterbuilt for truly sticking by there product. Customer service went the extra mile to make sure i was satisfied and now my smoker is back up and running. Thanks again Masterbuilt!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Extremely disappointed in Masterbuilt electric smoker model 20070910. This is the 2nd bad control panel since I've owned the smoker. The 1st control panel lasted about 7-8 uses and the 2nd control panel lasted thru 5 uses. I'm aggravated since I have 15 lbs of pork all prepared for what I thought would be smoked pulled pork. Now it looks like I'll be cooking it inside my instant pot. I'm unsure if I should toss unit in the trash and buy a Green Egg smoker or a new Traeger smoker. So once again Masterbuilt thanks for FAILING ME!!

Scott,
If you have not thrown out your smoker, please send us a private message with your smoker's information so that we can troubleshoot with you. We would be glad to assist you with the smoker's digital control panel and help prevent any future issues with it.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We just bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker from Lowe’s. My husband used it the first time last night, after 3 hours we smelled smoke coming inside our house. When I went outside to check on it, there was a massive fire next to the smoker. The smoker had let out a spark which flew over and hit our trash can. Our trash can burned to the ground and proceeded to catch my car on fire. Luckily we caught and put out the fire before the fire got to the engine, but the entire front of my car is destroyed because of the malfunction of this smoker. It looks like we are not the only ones who have had this issue with the smoker either. This company needs to do something about it. This could have easily caught our house on fire or started a major car fire because of this smoker. It is very scary and disappointing. We will not be using this brand new smoker again.

Jessica,
Please send us a private message with your contact information so that we can reach out you. This experience is never what we want.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Bought a new electric smoker and it quit after 3 uses. Bought a propane smoker and it exploded nearly killing my husband. Have emailed and tried to call customer service. This happened 3 weeks ago and still no response.

Shannon,
If our Customer Service has not reached out to you, please send us a private message with your information so that we can locate your request and reach out to you.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had two of these in 18 months. Both have had the same issue... Plug it in and it beeps, runs through a series of numbers and DIES... Brisket and ham ready to go in smoker and I am just out of luck huh... Same Exact problem TWICE... I am so angry. What do I do with all this meat??? There is NO doubt Masterbuilt KNOWs they have an issue.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Pamela, We are sorry to hear about the experiences you have had so far. Please send us a private information with both of your smokers information so that we can assist you the best way possible.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We loved our smoker and used it almost daily until it blew up in my husband's face and he got hurt. Contacted Masterbuilt. Not even to hear "I am sorry" from them! We sent them pics and everything! They said the only thing they will do is send us a new smoker which we declined since it is very dangerous! This company is responsible for my husband's injuries and they did nothing! So much for your Christian values Masterbuilt!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you for your message Jennifer. We have been in contact with your husband since his initial correspondence via email and have been actively working on this matter with you to reach a resolution.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information