Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought 30-inch Masterbuilt Digital Smoker last year on Black Friday sale at Ace. Used it 3-4 times. Nice job. Smoking the turkey for Thanksgiving this year, went to turn up temp and the digital control shorted. Beeped. Took it off the unit, jiggled wires, checked the quick connects, reset, boom, shorts again. Needless to say did it 6 times, gently laid controller down and finished smoking. But now it won't turn on, just beeps and clicks and won't start, that is the controller. It is done for, being of digital build, not worth buying controller. Saw on here that replacement controller fails also. Don't buy this smoker due to controller.

I have chosen to review as per my experience. Bought 40" unit perhaps 3 years ago. Have successfully smoked at least ten times. Not more than 15. Have been satisfied with the results. However, aside from that. I once noted a very slight shock when touching the unit barefoot upon a use. Upon later use the unit would trip the GFI. Then not. Then... The last time the unit was used some months ago I received a shock when touching the unit. The GFI was repeatedly tripped. Removed the element cover plate. Found the wiring burned. Masterbuilt suggested element replacement. Given the cost and use of the unit replacement of the element is a bit much. Have considered buying a replacement thinking I may have purchased and used the lemon of the year unit. Given so many others with similar experiences, I realize I made a mistake.

Bought this smoker a year ago. Worked great first 2-3 times we used it. Now, here on thanksgiving I woke up early to get it going and of course it won't work. Same electrical issue being described by everyone else. Turns on, runs for a minute or two, shorts out and turns off. Unreliable piece of junk. Will never buy a crapster-built product again, and I mean that. Reading all these reviews, it's the biggest con going.

Masterbuilt electric smoker is Garbage. I received smoker as a gift in 2014. Used it 4 times and element went out. Replaced element and it too went out after 3 smoking sessions. DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$ ON THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

Thank you for reaching out. We looking forward to getting this resolved quickly!

Purchased a Masterbuilt 40" Smoker two years ago and have only used it a handful of times. Kept the smoker stored in a clean, dry garage. Took it out today and our electric GFI kept tripping every time I tried setting the temperature and time. It's unsatisfactory that a higher priced smoker would break so easily after a few years. Would be nice to have a Masterbuilt rep contact me in order to discuss further.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Received as a gift (another of my wife's QVC bargains). After literally hours of unpacking and assembly I was looking forward to my first cooking experience. Smoker started one time and got warm, not hot, but warm. It hasn't worked since. After calling and waiting on hold for a goodly period of time and starting the machine with the troubleshooter a replacement burner was sent and installed with another 90 minutes of repair. Result: really nice cabinet. The timer works really well. Smoker, it ain't! Has yet to rise beyond the outside temperature. If it would just get colder we could store soda pop in it. What a piece of junk!

I got one as a Christmas gift. I loved it for the first three smoker events but by the fourth use it was hard to turn on (it kept turning itself off after a couple of minutes). By the fifth event I couldn't get it to turn on. I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased it. I did not keep the receipt but bought it at Ace Hardware.

I have a 40 inch Model 20076515 Masterbuilt Smoker. I've had less than a year, and the control panel face popped off and blew away. Now I don't know what the buttons' functions are. It's been covered and well cared for, and this should not have happened, especially after using the smoker a few times. I would like to get a control panel cover for the buttons, but they don't make one. You apparently have to buy the whole control panel for $100.00! The whole machine isn't much more than that! I just want it up and running again. Other than the panel cover, it's worked well.

I bought my master built electric smoker September 3, 2016. It worked great for two smoking. Started the 3rd smoke session October 22, 2016. It worked for 30 minutes, then it stop heating. What a mess. It only lasted for one month and a few days. After reading all these reviews I will ask for my money back.

We were very excited to buy this smoker when it was on sale on QVC in March 2015. We used it maybe two or three times before it started repeatedly shutting on and off while making a weird beeping noise. We called customer service, and they sent us a new control panel to fix the issue. We used it a couple more times with no problems and saved it indoors for the winter. We maybe only used it a couple of times this year, and of course on Labor Day, the smoker is having the same problem.

After waiting over 30 minutes on the phone to speak to somebody, I decide to email the company seeing as no one responded to the voicemail they say you can leave them. Now I am being offered a new body kit for $100 plus shipping, because my warranty expired. Waiting to hear back if there will be any kind of warranty with this new kit if I decide to purchase it. But after reading all these reviews, I'm really not sure if I should chance spending at least another $100 on this brand. It's upsetting to make this decision when I've already spent over $250 on a product that I thought was worth it. It's also a shame because when the machine does work, the food comes out incredible. It gets an extra star for that.

I have a Masterbuilt smoker model 20071814 that works great when working properly. However, over half the time the unit will shut off randomly or never turn on. The control on this unit has temp setting and time setting on it and frequently is inoperative. I received this as a gift so I didn't have a receipt and used it no more than twice before the issue started. I contacted the company 5 times and they never got back to me. Given that it's only worked a few times it's essentially cost $50- $100 for each successful smoke I've got out of it. I understand that certain items are bad out of the box but I do not understand how a supposedly reputable company does such a poor job supporting their product.

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker model 20070910 - I purchased this unit about 2 years ago. I kept it in the garage and only brought it out when using it. I never used an extension chord. I probably used this smoker about 10 times. The last time I tried using it, the system kept shorting out the GFI outlet. I tried a different outlet with the same problem. Parts are not available. This should not happen to a unit that cost as much as it did and was well maintained.

I originally purchased by Masterbuilt Smoker Model # 200472612 in March 2015 and just after the warranty period the smoker would start to heat up then shut off. I paid over $100 to replace the electronic control on the front of the smoker. Now it is doing the same thing after only using it 3 times. When the smoker works it does a great job but I can't afford to keep throwing $100 out for a part to keep it running. Not satisfied at all with this smoker.

Bought a Masterbuilt (20070910) electric smoker about 1.5 years ago, used it sparingly. It worked well when it worked. I tried to use it recently and it keeps tripping my GFCI. I can't find the replacement part. Not sure what I would do if I found the part. In my mind this item should last a long time. I am looking for a replacement now. Masterbuilt is off the table.

30in Digital Electric Smoker. I too wish I'd have read the reviews prior to purchasing a Masterbuilt Smoker. While I have owned it for awhile I have used this smoker less than 10 times and it no longer produces smoke. Better off spending a little more to buy a higher quality unit.

Masterbuilt 30 Smoker model 20079015 - Bought the smoker on May 31, 2016. Used it for the 4th time on August 29. Started just fine and ran for about an hour then started beeping and error code F showed up. Unplugged it several times for up to 3 hours and it never restarted. Funny that it died on the 89th day of ownership. Wished I'd have found these reviews before I bought it. Daughter has one she's real happy with so she's got one out of thousands that work. Bought 2 yr replacement plan from Lowe's so I hope they'll refund my money. If not I'll end up with another piece of junk that quits after 3 uses, stored in my house and only outside on a covered concrete patio for use.

I wish I had read these reviews before I bought mine. I have the same problem as most have described. Control panel (can't read the numbers to see what the heat is set on). Plus heat not coming up to set temperature. Have had only eight months. I guess that's why they only warranty them for 90 days. Piece of junk. Bought mine from Lowe's Home Improvement. Going to let them know the about the junk they are selling.

I purchased a new Masterbuilt Model 20070311 40 inch electric smoker from a second-hand store. First mistake. It was new and had all the parts, store employee told me he had tested it and it worked. Second mistake, I believed him. Anyway, I get this shiny new smoker home and plug it in and set the controls to season it per the manual. After 5 minutes it clicks off, starts beeping with an error message EAA1. Call company, explain problem. Put me on hold for 5 minutes. Ask me for serial number which is impossible to read, it is so poorly stamped. They sent me a new controller. Installed it. Set temp and time. No kidding, 5 minutes later it starts beeping again and the display shows temp at 37F and the same EAA1 error code. I figure it's the thermostat? Maybe. Has anyone ever had this problem and fixed it. If I didn't live in California but in Georgia I would just dump this piece of junk in Masterbuilt's parking lot.

This smoker is a piece of **, don't buy it. It will ruin your smoking experience. Period. As an experienced smoker, KCBS certified judge and competitor; I promise you if you buy this piece of junk you will never want to smoke again. There is no consistent way to control temperature or airflow. Whoever designed this piece of ** was a **. I promise you if you buy, and try to use this product, you have just wasted your hard earned money. Just so you know, I used it several times in different weather scenarios and no matter what the testing circumstances, it did not perform to specifications. Don't waste your money ever!!!

Thank you for your review, we will be happy to help you in regards to the issue your experiencing. If you would leave a good contact number I will gladly reach out to you to help resolve this issue. Please have model and serial number available at time of call.

Tiffany

Electric Smoker 20070910 - Bought the smoker from Amazon 2 years ago. It worked great for the first summer. Then it started working intermittently. It will heat up and sometimes will maintain its temp but sometimes the temp starts going down and will not heat back up until I unplug it and replug it a few times. Today I put a rack of ribs on, temp set at 250. After about an hour I noticed the temp going down. It hit 170 before I could get it to start heating again. We thought the heating element was going out so we purchased a new one and replaced it but it still does the same thing. :(

Tiffany

Masterbuillt 30" electric smoker - Junk. This smoker was a gift 3 years ago. $199. Lots of fun with it until now. Didn't last. The coil/electric thermostat trips gfci every time. Removed both, cleaned them, dried, then connected them together out of smoker... Gfci tripped. Authentic replacement parts (Masterbuilt no longer makes these parts) over $100. Buying propane smoker soon. In trash dump now.

Tiffany

I have only used my smoker about a half dozen times. And I keep it covered In my garage. I contacted Masterbuilt and told them it was not smoking correctly. I would get very little smoke out of it. They had me do a test and said the temperature sensor was no good and I could buy a new smoker for $186 at a discounted price since it was out of warranty. I have only used it about 6 times and it never did smoke a lot. I thought maybe it was the wood chips so I tried different brands and types of wood but it still didn't smoke like it should. I don't think I'll be spending another $200 on a smoker that does not work correctly and never did.

Tiffany

Had problems with my NEW 30 in Masterbuilt smoker. When I turn on the unit it starts clicking and shuts off. Called Masterbuilt and told them about my problem. After following their instructions I was sent a NEW unit. Plugged in the new unit and I have the same problem. Now what. Reading all the reviews it looks like Masterbuilt has some real issues with these smokers. This is not a cheap unit. I do have a smoker from Masterbuilt when they first came out and have had no issues, about 5 years old now. Just wanted to upgrade to one with a light and glass door. Bad product.

Tiffany

The 40" Electric smoker Model # 20070508 was purchased on 6-26-09. This is a high end product I spent nearly $600.00 for. The heating element is thermostatically controlled and it has a timer in addition to stainless racks and a stainless door with window. The heating element burned out last week. I called Masterbuilt to order a replacement. I was told they no longer made the part and there was no replacement assembly. When I asked what I should do with my smoker, Masterbuilt customer service suggested I throw it away. I am one IRATE customer with no plans of replacing my smoker with another Masterbuilt as apparently designed obsolescence is their number 1 product feature!

Tiffany

I also fell victim to the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker issues. I bought mine used, and it worked great for two or three smoking jobs. Then I started getting the clicking sounds, along with the shutting down during the middle of smoking. Glad I didn't pay full price. Yes, it is kept in the garage, and is used under cover, and not abused. Model 20070112. Based on previous reports, it seems that buying a replacement controller is throwing money into a black hole. So, try another brand.

Tiffany

I purchased my Masterbuilt elite electric smoker about a year ago from Cabelas. I keep in on my covered patio out of the weather. I plug it directly into my GFI outlet on my home. I have used it 6-8 times and it has never kept a good temperature. To top it off, today I was cooking a turkey for a family dinner and half way through cooking the turkey the analog plug melted over the left prong and began to smoke. It shorted out, and will not even turn on now. I was able to get the analog controller off of the heating element prong and both the left prong and the controller are no longer usable. If I am going to spend nearly $200 on something I expect it to last more than a handful of times. Very, very unhappy with this product. Even though It has only been used I am out of my warranty period so I am just plain out of luck.

Thank you for your review, I assure you, you are not out of luck. I would be happy to help you in regards to the issue with your smoker. If you would leave a good contact number I will gladly reach out to you to help resolve this issue. Please have model and serial number available at time of call.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have had the chance to speak with Masterbuilt again over this issue, and this time, the individual I spoke with was great, she informed me that there may have been some internal wiring issues with the unit and had sent out a new unit. I set up the new unit, ran it through a few test and all seems well, even the temperature is much closer (4-9 degree variance). I am happy and changing my rating to 4 stars.

Dave of Monroe, NC on

Original Review

Masterbuilt 20070411 30-Inch Top Controller Electric Smoker - First off let me say that say that when it works it can be great (I purchased on Amazon). With that said, I did contact Masterbuilt about 40ish days after I received the item. The smoker was two major flaws. One the built in temperature sensor is completely wrong (which is what I contacted Masterbuilt regarding). When I set the Smoker at 220, my first smoke was done very quickly (overcooked). I then went out and purchased a Maverick ET-733 and also used my buddies to ensure the heat readings on both were accurate. At 220 on the MES my and my buddies ET-733 were at 256 and 259 respectively. Way too hot for smoking low and slow.

The second major issue that I have is my unit powers on and off at times (usually right when I plug it in). I store it in my attached garage out of the weather, with a cover (though I don't need the cover). I have had it turn off in the middle of two smokes, luckily there were both small cuts of meat/appetizers and I was able to unplug and plug it back in. Like I said I have most issues when I first plug it in. It flickers on and off and then I have to unplug it usually 2-3 times and it's good after that. I've had it less than a year and I am not 100% happy at all. Hopefully I just had a defective unit, but the customer support rep I spoke to was not very helpful either. When it totally breaks and I'm sure it will I don't know if I will purchase another Masterbuilt, even though it has pretty solid reviews I would like to stay away from a second unit with issues. So a top digital controller issue and a heat issue - horrible and no support.

30" Electric Smoker - Gift for Father's Day 2014 (bought on QVC). Used about 6 times and June 2015 stops working. Dial controller shorted out and broke off one of the element prongs inside the controller body. Just over one year old. Contacted Masterbuilt and they hinted at design issue and sent me new controller and element. No charge. Was quite happy. Used 5-6 times in 2015/2016. May 2016 plug in, light goes on and no heat in element. Controller has shorted out, melted part of controller body and discolored element prong. Interesting that it is same side of controller and same element prong that is affected. Contact Masterbuilt and the response was "We already sent you one free of charge last year and our parts warranty is 90 days. You can order new parts (with shipping will be about $75)." They also said I probably used an extension cord that contributed to the problem??? I did not. Thinking I should just throw away and buy different brand.

Tiffany

I've had my smoker for three years. Used it 3-4 times and kept it in the garage when not in use. Put a brisket in it yesterday with 1 cup of Mesquite pellets and a small amount of water in the pan. Set the temp at 225 for 10 hours and went inside. 10 minutes later, my doorbell rang and my neighbor was screaming FIRE! Fire was from ground to rooftop. What was fuel source for this fire? Never again!!

Thank you for your review, we will be happy to help you in regards to the situation you had with your smoker. If you would leave a good contact number I will gladly reach out to you to help resolve this issue. Please have model and serial number available at time of call.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Profile