1.68/5
Based on 102 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

268 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SMOKERS! I own a 40 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker. I have owned it for under 2 years and have only used it 8-10 times. It is kept under a covered patio with a factory cover on it as well. Shortly after I purchased it, I began having problems turning the power off and on. I realized that I could turn it on with the remote, so I began doing that. Now it is very difficult to set the temp or cook time with either the unit or remote. I’ve also noticed that it no longer smokes or burns chips at 220 degrees.

I found an online forum with others having the same problem and telling how to cut out some of the metal near the heating element to improve on that. Both known, obvious design flaws. I called Customer support today. They offered to sell me a new control unit. (Gee, thanks). The lady I spoke with said she has the same problem with her unit and has to turn the heat up higher to achieve actual smoke from her smoker. So, when this thing works, it’s basically an outdoor oven.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you Bob for reaching out. Please send of a private message with your information and your smoker's model # and serial #. We are happy to assist you with your smoker.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have a 40 inch electric smoker. It is not exposed to the elements. I am now attempting to repair the wiring that connects to the heating element, because it is a "known failure" that has not been recalled. It is a safety issue, because the connections heat up, and melt at the heating element connection. It is a huge deterrent, and I had previously recommended this brand to a number of people! This is absolutely ridiculous, and should be listed under a manufacturer recall!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you Dan for reaching out with your information and feedback. If you have not reach out to us directly, we encourage you to do so through private message or our Customer Service Department for assistance with your smoker and accurate part replacement. Many factors can cause the element and/or wiring to burn out, so the unit would not need to be listed under a recall. We look forward to helping you in any way possible. Thank you for your time.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have had my 30 inch electric smoker for about a year. It has been great until about 3 weeks ago the wood chips are no longer smoking. I bought a new chip tray hoping that would help. NOPE. The heat stays at 225 and I am a seasoned person around cooking/smoking. I have read several reviews on sites all over the web and this seems to be an issue for a lot of them. I hope the 4 friends I convinced to buy the same smoker don't have this same issue and make me look bad. I don't think I will recommend this smoker to anyone going forward.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Joel, we hope that you will give us a chance to turn your opinion around. Please send us a private message or reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581 with your smoker's model number and serial number. We are glad to assist you with the unit and provide any help that we can. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Purchased Masterbuilt propane smoker last year and used the unit for the third time this year and luckily we were in backyard as the Masterbuilt smoker set to low and turned around to see a flame shooting out from underneath the unit which I turned off the gas. Inspected the unit which because of poor design which gas fed underneath the unit and close to burner burned away from connection, burned new nonmetallic flooring and melted the connection assembly. Reached out to Masterbuilt and have Case number ** with description and photos showing damage to gazebo and unit. The response was spider nest in hose which when speaking to Jalan that it’s not spiderwebs. It’s fibers in the gas line that melted and now Masterbuilt will not return emails or calls so now I will be reaching out to Consumer Affairs as I’m doing now and USA.Gov for investigation and recall because of poor design and defected pro product.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 20, 2018

Bought a Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker less than 2 weeks ago. Used it once and it worked great. Put a brisket in it today and and set it on 225... Smoker will not stay below 300 and is beeping and will then shut off. We have restarted it... Unplugged it... Opened the vent and door to let it cool down but it still shoot a straight to 300 plus degrees! I would have never bought this brand if I had known the reviews were so bad! I have a 50 dollar price of meat in this smoker that might be ruined now. This is only the second time it has been used and it is overheating badly. If I could return this I would.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Brett, We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning. Please send us a private message with your smokers model # and serial # and we would be happy to assist you with your smoker. We look forward to hearing from you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2018

The worst customer service ever. Takes them several days to email you back. On hold to speak to customer service on a week day 30 minutes. Ordered a part. Repeated the item to be sent MULTIPLE times. They sent the wrong part. Find an Electric Smoker Company that provides Good Customer Service. They don't.

Hello Alane,
Thank you for your feedback. This experience is never what we want with our customer service. Please send us a private message with your smoker and order information if we can assist you.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2018

Bought 2 Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite and both smoker has caught on fire. No explication of why when both smokers were clean and hoses were in working order. Loved these smokers but definitely in question to get another one.

Hello Chad,
Please send us your information regarding both of your smokers. We would be happy to assist you with the smokers.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2018

Bought a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker and used it about 10 times. Then went to use it and it would randomly shut off. Called Masterbuilt and told them my issue and bought a replacement control panel. I put it in and it still keeps shutting off. Sometimes it's 2 hrs before it does and sometimes it's shorter. When I first got this I thought it was the best thing I ever bought. Now it's just frustrating. Not sure if I will buy a replacement but if I do I may buy a different brand sadly.

Damien,

Please send me a private message so that I can assist you with your smoker. I would be glad to try and find a solution for your smoker's power issue. I hope to hear from your soon.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Bought the Masterbuilt smoker model number 20076514. It worked great 3 times. But the fourth time we tried to use it and the control panel started flashing an error code. After looking up the code online it said the control was broken and needing to be replaced. This is kept under an enclosed porch protected from the elements. I could understand if this was used over and over again and kept outside exposed to the elements. But after three uses it's basically useless unless we purchase a $100 part. Very very disappointed with this company and the quality of their products.

Joshua,

We are sorry to hear that is has been your experience so far. We do not have any replacements control panels that are $100 and we offer a warranty with our smokers. If you have not reached out to our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581, please send a private message and we will be glad to assist you with your smoker.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Bought a new 30" gas smoker about year and a half ago, the gas valve was bad straight out of box. Called customer service but did not get the problem solved, I had to look at people with the same problem to find out what was wrong. Bought a new gas valve and it worked fine for about 5 uses and yesterday on the 4th of July it melted the knob that adjusts the flame. Waste of money and meat.

Robert,

Please send us a private message with your smokers information so that we can assist you with your smoker. We would be glad to trouble shoot with you and reach the best solution for you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Not exactly sure about the purchase date. Let me tell you, this is the biggest piece of crap I've ever purchased. I'm not joking when I say I've only use this 6 times and the element has be replaced 2 twice already. Once shortly after I purchased it and another one maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Today the darn thing caught on fire, yep element went out again. 3 times I have failed to complete my cooking. Thank God it caught on fire without my meat in there and I was there to unplug the smoker before it really flamed up.

I'm sure the warranty is up but you guys knew there was an issue with these smokers and didn't do anything about it. I brought this topic up and was told there wasn't any known issues but based on all the complaints I see for the same topic online I know there is. I'm sure I'll get the same generic response you guys give everyone else. "Masterbuilt Smokehouses response." "We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would like the opportunity to assist you with this issue and hope you will take a moment to give us a call so that we can help you find a resolution to the issue you're having. Our number is 800-489-1581 or you can use the email submission form under the Support tab on our website: www.masterbuilt.com. We look forward to assisting you." I guess I will just follow their footsteps and leave a bad review too.

Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. If you have not already been assisted through the quoted steps in your post, please send us a private message.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife gave my an Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for Christmas of 2017. After the first month of use I observed problems with the temperature gauge. The smoker never reached the correct temperature and took twice as long to reach the temperature of 225 degrees. When cooking food it take twice as long to cook. I would clean the smoker as instructed I would still encounter the same problem. On July 3 2018 I pulled the smoker out to test it. The smoker no longer works nor will the smoker even heat up. I have not even had this product for even a year and it has completely failed. What a rip off. I would not recommend this product to anyone. A bad product deserves bad reviews.

Hello William,
We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning properly. Please send us a private message with your smokers information so that we can assist you with it.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Extremely disappointed in Masterbuilt electric smoker model 20070910. This is the 2nd bad control panel since I've owned the smoker. The 1st control panel lasted about 7-8 uses and the 2nd control panel lasted thru 5 uses. I'm aggravated since I have 15 lbs of pork all prepared for what I thought would be smoked pulled pork. Now it looks like I'll be cooking it inside my instant pot. I'm unsure if I should toss unit in the trash and buy a Green Egg smoker or a new Traeger smoker. So once again Masterbuilt thanks for FAILING ME!!

Scott,
If you have not thrown out your smoker, please send us a private message with your smoker's information so that we can troubleshoot with you. We would be glad to assist you with the smoker's digital control panel and help prevent any future issues with it.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We just bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker from Lowe’s. My husband used it the first time last night, after 3 hours we smelled smoke coming inside our house. When I went outside to check on it, there was a massive fire next to the smoker. The smoker had let out a spark which flew over and hit our trash can. Our trash can burned to the ground and proceeded to catch my car on fire. Luckily we caught and put out the fire before the fire got to the engine, but the entire front of my car is destroyed because of the malfunction of this smoker. It looks like we are not the only ones who have had this issue with the smoker either. This company needs to do something about it. This could have easily caught our house on fire or started a major car fire because of this smoker. It is very scary and disappointing. We will not be using this brand new smoker again.

Jessica,
Please send us a private message with your contact information so that we can reach out you. This experience is never what we want.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2018

Bought a new electric smoker and it quit after 3 uses. Bought a propane smoker and it exploded nearly killing my husband. Have emailed and tried to call customer service. This happened 3 weeks ago and still no response.

Shannon,
If our Customer Service has not reached out to you, please send us a private message with your information so that we can locate your request and reach out to you.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had two of these in 18 months. Both have had the same issue... Plug it in and it beeps, runs through a series of numbers and DIES... Brisket and ham ready to go in smoker and I am just out of luck huh... Same Exact problem TWICE... I am so angry. What do I do with all this meat??? There is NO doubt Masterbuilt KNOWs they have an issue.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Pamela, We are sorry to hear about the experiences you have had so far. Please send us a private information with both of your smokers information so that we can assist you the best way possible.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We loved our smoker and used it almost daily until it blew up in my husband's face and he got hurt. Contacted Masterbuilt. Not even to hear "I am sorry" from them! We sent them pics and everything! They said the only thing they will do is send us a new smoker which we declined since it is very dangerous! This company is responsible for my husband's injuries and they did nothing! So much for your Christian values Masterbuilt!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you for your message Jennifer. We have been in contact with your husband since his initial correspondence via email and have been actively working on this matter with you to reach a resolution.

Resolution response: Aug. 1, 2018

Masterbuilt sent me two controllers which they didn't have to do, but they did and that says a lot about the company caring about their customers

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have purchased 2 of the 40" digital smokers, one worked great for over two years. It failed when I cleaned it. The controller wouldn't turn on. It was two days before Thanksgiving and I was going to smoke a turkey, so I ran out and bought a second one. A little over two year later, the second smoker failed as well. When you plug it in it beeps, but will not turn on. I couldn't find a manual online so I emailed support with the model number and serial number, I got a reply a little over a week later stating that if I gave them the correct part number they would send me a manual and a quote for a new controller.

The week I spent waiting for a reply I started searching the web for a solution to my problem, wow I was astonished on the number of bad reviews for Masterbuilt digital smokers, These controllers are not reliable at all, as confirmed by all of the negative reviews on consumer affairs. I replied with the correct part number as I made a typo writing 20060311 instead of 20070311.

I responded with the correct part number and that I had done some research and apparently the controllers are not very reliable and that they would have to be really cheap for me to invest any more money in Masterbuilt products - it has been 10 days since that reply and no response from Masterbuilt. Either I made them mad with my reply or they are swamped with complaints, suffice to say, they still have not sent me the manual! I was a Masterbuilt proponent but with the support I have gotten for a very unreliable controller, I would suggest at least staying clear of buying the Digital smokers until they fixed the reliability issues or re-design the controllers.

Hello Jon,
Thank you for your review. Please send a private message with your information including your email address and we will assist you with getting the information that you need.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: June 5, 2018

I received a propane smoker made by a Masterbuilt for my birthday. On Super Bowl Sunday I wanted to cook a meal for my family. After smoking chicken and a pork tenderloin for three hours, I’ve been down to look at the temperature and the smoker blew up in my face. Had to go to the ER with thousands of dollars in medical bills. I’m lucky it didn’t kill me. Please do not buy a Masterbuilt propane smoker if you value your life or the life of your family members. I asked Masterbuilt for help with my medical bills and they want me to send them The smoker that blew up so that I have no proof. I don’t want other families to go through what we went through. There shouldn’t be a chance of you dying from cooking your family a meal on Super Bowl Sunday.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you for your message Greg. We have been in contact with you since your initial correspondence via email. We are actively working with you on this matter and your Case is currently being assessed.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: June 2, 2018

Love the smoker, less than one year old (Father's Day 2017) but meat probe stopped working this spring. Not sure if covered under one year warranty or not. Seems a shame since rest of smoker has been performing EXCELLENTLY with perfectly smoked meats/fish. I understand Probe takes a while to read correct temp once powered up but just continues to read 310F even in 50F pork shoulders. HELP!

Hello Thomas,

I am sorry to hear that your smoker's meat probe is not functioning properly. Please send me a private message with your Model #, Serial # and contact information so that we can assist you with a resolution for that part. Thank you.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have a 30" Masterbuilt smoker I purchased from Sam's about 2 yrs ago... Used it only 4 times since and thought I'd fire it up for this Memorial Weekend. Unfortunately it is a deadbeat with no heat! I did some continuity testing on the element and it seems to be ok at 12 ohms, but no heat. I guess I should have just stuck to my Weber, which is what I'm now going to go back to unless Masterbuilt can inform me as to how to fix this without additional $$$. Sad because it is still new and clean, glass is clear, like having a very nice car that doesn't start... becomes a big paperweight. I would not recommend this brand at all being that it went out so soon.

Hello Woody,

We are sorry to hear this. We do not strive for this type of experience with our products. Please send a private message with your information and your smoker's Model # and Serial #. We would be glad to assist you with your smoker the best way that we can. We look forward to helping you.

Resolution response: July 14, 2018

Masterbuilt customer service worked with me to get the problem with my smoker resolved even though my smoker is out of warranty. The smoker works great and the customer service is exceptional.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I purchased this smoker (digital electric) in February 2016 and have used it six times since. I used it two or three times before the digital controller failed. Of course it was a holiday and company coming. I put the smoker back in the garage and forgot about it for a while. Sometime after the warranty ran out I called Masterbuilt and they sent me a new digital controller at no cost. This was great customer service. I used the smoker a few more times and once again it failed. This time the temperature would not stop rising. I called Masterbuilt again and the rep suggested a new digital controller, which I purchased. I installed the new digital controller and had the same problem.

Temperature would not stop rising. I believe that both controllers are ok. I removed the back panel and replaced the thermostat. Same issue, heat won't stop. So, I have a Masterbuilt smoker that I've sunk about a hundred fifty bucks into and had six uses out of. It would probably make a good offshore reef or maybe a birdhouse with a few holes drilled in it. It won't work for smoking unless you prefer your meat burned to a crisp. If you see one on sale, keep walking. If your store is giving them away for free, keep walking. Go to a barbeque restaurant and feed the whole family, in-laws, neighbors or anyone else you may see on the way there. Your frustration level will be much less than dealing with a product that doesn't work.

Lamar,
We sincerely apologize for the experience you have had with your smoker. We would be more than happy to assist you with your smoker! Please give us a call @ 1-800-489-1581 to troubleshoot further, or send a private response through here and I can also help. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: May 27, 2018

Owned the Masterbuilt 40” electric smoker for about 2 years now. Used it only about a dozen times. Went to heat it up to clean it before the Memorial Day cookout and it shot up to 300+ degrees and wouldn’t shut down! Even when the digital display wasn’t on, it was still heating! No smoking this weekend for us. Disappointing that it would have issues like this with such minimal usage.

Brett,
We apologize for your inconvenience. I would be happy to help you with this inconvenience and get your smoker working properly again! I hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right with you! Please send me a private message and I would be happy to provide you with more information!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have a Masterbuilt smoker that I have been seeking a replacement digital controller for. I believe the part number of this controller is 99070002. This part went out in about a year and half after purchase right in the middle of cooking. So far no luck of any kind finding one that will work on this smoker. I still would love to get a replacement for this part. I have since purchased another smoker of a different brand but don't like the way it works compared to the Masterbuilt one I have. I spent almost $400 on the Masterbuilt smoker from Sam's wholesale store several years ago and really love to get it working again.

Hello Kenneth,
You are able to get replacement parts directly from us. If you would reply with a private message with your contact information, I can assist you with getting a replacement digital control panel for your smoker. I look forward to hearing from you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I purchased a Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker 2 years ago and loved every minute of use for the first year and a half. Unfortunately last summer, I started experiencing some issues with the unit. The digital panel would sometimes start going haywire and blinking all over the place. I then had issues with the temperature heating up and staying at a desired spot. I then started reading some reviews only to find that many other people have had bad experiences with the Masterbuilt electric smokers having wiring issues. After having my smoker completely quit one day (no response at all when plugged in), I decided to pull the back panel off to expose the wiring of the heating element. To my surprise, I saw all of the burnt up wiring that many others had posted photos of from the factory wiring system.

I have never had my unit outside - it has always been used in my garage and covered. I was disappointed to find that a relatively lightly used unit could fail so quickly. After lots of research, I decided to order a rebuild kit for the heating element and wiring. I installed the kit only to find that the smoker was still completely dead after plugging it in. After calling in all I was recommended to do was now replace the control unit. It is pathetic to have to purchase so many replacement parts in order to enjoy using a product from a company that cost a decent amount to purchase. I only purchased an electric smoker for the enticing promise of it making smoking more user friendly - instead, this has been nothing but a nightmare.

Blair,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and would be happy to help resolve this issue with your smoker! Please send me a private response and I would be glad to start the process in troubleshooting and assisting you in this matter!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I ordered the Masterbuilt 30 Bluetooth electric smoker online from Academy Sports. When it arrive 4-16-18 the front of the box had a puncture with a rip down it. We open the box. The glass is shattered and the door glass goes everywhere. I look on the box. It states if there are problems or damage to contact Masterbuilt. So I email them stated what occurred. They emailed back, "Sorry about the glass being shattered. You need to contact the company you bought it from."

So I contact Academy Sports. It takes them 7 days to respond back. To say, "We sent it to accident/damage department." I never receive a response back until I call them. All they say is, "We're waiting for Masterbuilt to respond back." I wait several more days. Academy Sports calls and tell me to sent email to Masterbuilt with receipt serial and model number. I even sent pictures. Here it is now 5-15-18 I have not received a response back from Masterbuilt. Almost a month out and still have not gotten it taken care of. I will not buy another Masterbuilt product and I will never order online from Academy Sports.

Brenda,

Thank you for taking time to share this. This experience is never what we want or strive for with our customer service. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. If you would, please send a private message so that we can resolve this for you.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Purchased a replacement element. Worked great for 2 days. Now, element will not heat. My main question is simple...many problems with the JMSS electric smoker. Why has there not been a recall by Masterbuilt? As has been said previously by another disgruntled customer, when I spend 300 plus dollars on something, I expect it to work more than 5 times! I shouldn't have to be purchasing replacement items for a practically new item!

Dear Christopher,
I would be happy to help you with this inconvenience and get your smoker working properly again! I am sorry for all the troubles you've had! I hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right with you! Please send me a private message and I would be happy to provide you with more information!

Original review: May 14, 2018

I purchased this Masterbuilt 20070512 40-Inch Front Controller Electric Smoker and have been happy with the results smoking various foods. However, shortly after I started using it (about 4-5 uses) the wireless remote stopped working. Sometimes I can get it to connect if I open the battery cover and squeeze the battery into the compartment but usually the screen will go blank as soon as I take my finger off. Anyway, I figured I could live without the remote control because it's not that hard to walk outside and check the control panel on top of the smoker to program and check what the temperature and time settings are. However, a few more uses is (about 10 total) the plastic cover over the electronic control panel came loose on the bottom. It was still attached at the top but was clearly not water-proof anymore. Since the control panel sits on top of the unit that's not a good thing if there is any kind of drizzle or rain.

I always keep the smoker covered when not in use. This past weekend when I went to use it, the plastic cover had come completely off and it blew away in the wind. Now I'm left with an exposed control board. I called customer service and was told that it was out of warranty so I would have to buy a whole new control assembly. She said that since the cover had come off, the electronics had likely been exposed to weather so I couldn't just get a new clear plastic cover for it. Of course it's out of warranty so they want $35 plus shipping in order to replace a 20-cent piece of plastic that had a poorly designed or was outright defective in terms of attaching to the smoker. Now I have a $400 smoker that is missing a very inexpensive component and they are asking me to pay about 10% of the cost of a new smoker to bring it back up to working condition.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have a propane smoke and called customer service about the function of the gas valve not working properly. It was stated from the customer service rep the gas valve assembly is defective and they could sell me a new for 50.00 dollars. This smoke is just over a year old. Now I have a smoke with defective parts could create a problem if I use the smoke. In my opinion this unit could blow up or create a fire. I was surprised after talk to the supervisor. The answer on the communication from the service rep was Service Rep is new and shouldn't told me the part is defective. From what I could tell the supervisor advice the reps to mislead the customer think it's their problem and they have to pay for the repairs. I am surprised that a company wouldn't take responsibility for their products.

Kevin,

We sincerely apologize for the experience you had with our customer service. We would be more than happy to assist you with your smoker! Please send a private response through here so that I can get more information from you to better assist you. I look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: May 6, 2018

I bought a Masterbuilt Smoker and the first one shipped did not work. I returned the first one and was shipped a 2nd one. On the 2nd one the tub that holds the wood chips does not turn to drop the chips into the box to burn them. It never worked. Is there an easy fix. Thanks.

Peter,

Yes, I would be happy to work with you on this issue and find a resolution for you so you can continue to enjoy your smoker! Please send me a private response through here with your model and serial number and contact information and I can get started! I look forward to hearing from you!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information

Masterbuilt
Columbus
GA
31907
www.masterbuilt.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business