Masterbuilt Smokehouses
1.78/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 29, 2018

209 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Received 30" Masterbuilt digital smoker as a Christmas gift December 2016. Digital panel didn't work so Masterbuilt sent me a new one. Have used the smoker 8-10 times this past year without any issue. Always covered, always stored inside. When used, it's inside my shop. Went to smoke a brisket this weekend and same problem, digital panel chirps when plugged in but won't power up. An obvious quality issue with this smoker. Called Masterbuilt and was informed that the replacement panel was only warranted for 30 days and I would have to buy a new one. I don't think I should have to because there is an obvious issue with my smoker. Customer support stated she had the same smoker and never has had an issue.

Dear Ryan,
We are sorry you were misinformed and apologize for the troubles. Our warranty on your unit's control panel is for a full year and we would be happy to assist you with that replacement. If you would like to work with me, please send me a private response with your contact information and unit's information (model and serial number) and I would be glad to assist you!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Purchased this 40" Digital Electrical Smoker in early Fall 2017, smoked a few things and none of them would come up to temperature. I thought I was doing something wrong. Tried to smoke ONE <2 lb cornish hen today for 6 hours with a temperature setting of 250 degrees, the internal temp of the meat only got to 140 degrees. The smoker itself only reached 220 degrees. I am very upset with this unit. What a waste of MY money! Going back to the old fashioned Brinkmann. I guess this one will go to the landfill!

Dear Gary,
We are very sorry to hear this! We can help, though! Please allow us the opportunity to assist you with your unit! You can reach us at 800-489-1581, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST. We look forward to speaking with you and getting your smoker working properly for you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

So my Masterbuilt Smoker (30in gen 1) seems to be having some issues. I can't seem to get the meat probe to read properly as well as I don't think the burners burning near as hot as it needs to reach the internal temperatures of the meat that I'm smoking. I would like to know if there's a website or if there's a specific book of instructions that will help me troubleshoot the reason for my Masterbuilt.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for this issue you are experiencing and would like to help! If you would, please utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department, or call us @ 800-489-1581. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are here to assist!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My wife bought this smoker for me as a gift for Christmas of 2017. The first time I use it was flawless. I loved it and was hooked and started smoking every time I could. Then the controls just started shutting off every 20 or 30 minutes by themselves. Started reading reviews and was disappointed and feel as if my wife was suckered and purchased a piece of garbage. Save yourself and stay away from this brand altogether. Now that being said since it’s only 30 days old this company will send me a new controller that works and I can retract this review and write the one I first wanted to.

Dear Shawn,
We apologize for any inconvenience. Your unit does have a 1-year warranty with us and we would be happy to send you the controller you need. If you'd like, send a private message with your contact info and your unit's info and I would be happy to work with you to get that order placed!

Masterbuilt Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt MES 140S Digital Electric Smoker over a year ago, but have only used it maybe 15 times max. A couple of weeks ago I was pre-heating it and it wouldn't go any higher than 240 degrees. When I contacted Masterbuilt they were kind enough to send me a new element because they said that was what the problem was. After installing the new element and I tested it and now it wouldn't get any hotter than 150 degrees. So once again, I contacted Masterbuilt and this time they said it must be the control unit and sent me a new one of those. After installing the controller I went to test it again and now the element didn't heat at all. When I installed the element initially I didn't replace the connectors with the ones that came with the element because there wasn't any visible damage to them, but as a last resort I went ahead and replaced them to see if maybe that was the problem now.

It wasn't so I contacted Masterbuilt again as they instructed me to do if the problem wasn't fixed after installing the new control unit. Only this time they said there was nothing else that could be done and I would have to purchase a whole new unit. Seems to me that everyone in Customer "Service" didn't have a solution, they just kept throwing new parts at me to replace and once they ran out of user serviceable parts to send me they didn't know what else to do. I find it hard to believe that Masterbuilt is unaware that this has been an ongoing problem based on all of the posts I've read on numerous sites complaining about the same thing that's happened to me. Some of which go back several years.

You'd think they would try to fix the problem before selling anymore or, at the very least, recall the ones that are experiencing this problem. Seems to me that they just keep selling them hoping that they don't go out before the warranty does. Now I'm stuck with a cabinet that doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever. As far as buying a new unit is concerned, I will never purchase another Masterbuilt product and will recommend to all of my smoking/grilling buddies to do the same.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for any inconvenience. You are correct, there are only certain parts that are replaceable on a unit and then it is an issue of paying for a replacement body cabinet or replacing the unit entirely. There are several points to review with this type of issue and situation. We would suggest that you call in and request to speak to our Lead Supervisor to see if anything can be done to assist you further.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought the Masterbuilt Sporstman Elite Electric Smoker (Model: 20071414) this unit back in November 2016, the unit was working perfectly for the first year. Now, the unit is not staying on. It continuously turns itself off; leading to inconsistent cooking temperatures and ruined meats. I am extremely disappointed in the longevity of this product.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for any inconvenience. We can assist you with repairing your unit. Please utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department, or call us @ 800-489-1581. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are here to assist. We look forward to helping you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Received Electric Bullet Smoker for Christmas 2017. Tried to assemble, but a bracket wasn't threaded so I couldn't attach it with the provided screw. I called customer service to get a replacement part with the model number. They told me I needed the serial number to verify it was still under warranty, which I didn't have on me, so they refused to send me the new piece. I was told I could purchase a new part, which I became irritated and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told that I could leave my info and someone would contact me within 24-48 hours. I asked if they were refusing me a supervisor and I was told it was policy. I said, "so you're unwilling to assist a customer who called customer service?" They said, "without a serial number we can't replace the part."

I told them that if they sent me a quality product, I wouldn't need it, so now they should be trying to make up for and not being petty over a part that cost pennies. I also tried to smoke a brisket about a week after Christmas and had to put the brisket in the oven due to the smoker only getting to 150 on high. It was cold outside, but I would think it would get warmer than that. Very disappointed with my experience. Why is it so hard to just go buy a quality product, and why are companies so hard to deal with?

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for any inconvenience. It is necessary to have both the model and serial number to complete your order. If you would like to provide me that information in a private message I can assist you with you with getting the part you need. Please let me know how I can help!

Customer increased Rating by 4 stars! Resolution In Progress
Resolution response: Feb. 4, 2018

Thank you kindly for replacing the failed heater, this shows that you stand behind the name and the product you produce.The unpleasant experience was not necessary, hopefully if there is another approach to warranty department in the future will be different. The weather in Michigan is not too kind but look forward to install the new heater and enjoy the flavorful smoked briskets again.Best regards, Ioan

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have purchased the 40" smoker after a long search to decide on the model. Purchased it in 2013 Aug before my daughter's wedding, she wanted brisket for the next day. It turned out great, my cousin from Alabama did a great job, 16lb Angus, long night. Used no more than 10 times since. The second year it started triggering the GFCI, yes it creates steam, using "spritzer" and a liquid bowl for 14 hours. No biggie, I used an indoor plug, non GFCI, through a 12AWG 15' extension for a 10 A draw, play it safe.

The current leak was not enough to trigger a regular breaker. First and last time last year was at Thanksgiving, 16lb turkey. The heater had a hard time reaching and holding the temperature, and after 3 hours it just went out, controller was demanding heat, it was showing heater on but temp was dropping fast. Not happy, with guests on the way. I worked many years in E/E lab R/D testing, very familiar with electrical failure root cause analysis.

Pulled the back cover, and what I have seen explains the reason for failure, pictures attached. Poor seal job in the area where the heater connections exit the smoker, smoke trail in the connection box. The steam creates positive pressure, and lots of seasoning on the brisket, salt, forced onto the connectors, spade/female non insulated completely corroded one connector at the wire crimp the other paper thin. Use of inferior quality materials. Anyway, I called the warranty department, presented the case to the rep and I said, "I know it's out of warranty but this is the reason for the failure." The rep looked for every reason to blame me for the cause. How much water did I use in the water bowl. Answer was "to the line stamped on the bowl that says - fill to this line", after that I was asked how much, one cup, two cups? Again I said, "To the mark identified by the manufacturer."

Not happy, asked again one or two cups. I said, "Most likely 2 cups." I was told that is way too much liquid. I asked if she disagrees with the design/ manufacturer recommendations. The answer was no, but still insisted I used too much water and that is the cause of the steam leak into the connection compartment. Tried to explain to the rep that it is not the volume but the area exposed that controls the evaporation, but in vain. I have already checked for a heater, $20.00 no bank breaker, but I asked her if the company stands behind the quality of their product, this should be covered, or no more purchases of their brand and no recommendations from me for their products.

The answer was "sorry to hear that but it is out of warranty and the failure was due to use of too much water". Masterbuilt needs to train their warranty personnel to understand their products. Did not even have to spend $20.00 for a new heater, just cleaned the heater and soldered new spaded terminals, crimped new female terminals on the wires insulated of course.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We are sorry to hear this occurred and that you were unhappy with the level of customer service you were provided. If you feel that speaking to one of our Supervisors or a seasoned representative would better assist you, please let me know and I can arrange for that contact for you. We try very hard to stand by our products and assist our customers to the best of our ability. I look forward to your reply!

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I called on 12/27/2017 due to the smoker Model number 20050412 missing a grate and the holder for it when I opened it Xmas morning. So I call Masterbuilt Smokehouses thinking it would be an easy fix and they would just send it to me. So I call at 4:30 when I got off of work and thought I would handle it during my 40 min commute. I call and it says it would be an 8 minute wait so I think, "Cool. I'll get this taken care of right away." 90 minutes pass and still no answer and finally at the 92 minute mark...guess what...I get hung up on. I call back and it says they are closed for the day. Terrible customer service and I will be bringing back the entire smoker and getting a different brand from a company that will actually support me if I have a dumb, little issue like a missing grate.

Dear Matt,
We are so sorry that this occurred. Our call volume has been very high this holiday season and we apologize we missed an opportunity to assist you. Please feel free to send a private response and I can provide you with the information to get you the part you require for your unit. I look forward to assisting you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I bought a 20070411 30 in smoker 9 months ago. It worked well, aside from temp inaccuracies, for 10-12 smokes. Last weekend I started a brisket and went out to check the smoke. The control unit wasn't responding at all and randomly shutting off and turning back on. The handheld stoppped working and a $60 brisket went into the trash. From what I have seen online, this is a junk unit from a junk company. What a waste.

Dear Jake,
We are very sorry to hear this has happened. I would be glad to assist you with getting a replacement controller for your unit. Please send me a private response and I can get you some contact information so I can help you get your smoker working again! I look forward to helping you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Put together took one half hrs total on Christmas morning. Motherboard out. The book should state plug in and make sure it works first step. Now back to deal with replacing it with another one that just may not work. Or another brand??? Not happy.

Dear Raymond,
We are very sorry to hear this has occurred. We would be glad to assist you in this matter if you are unable to work with you retailer to negotiate an exchange. Please give us a call and we can place an order for the part(s) you need under your warranty. We look forward to assisting you! Our number is 1-800-489-1581.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30": Just over a year and it's gone out. After doing some reading it seems this is a common design flaw. Lots of people complain just at the year mark or just after. I have used mine maybe a dozen times and what do you know on Xmas eve having an early Christmas and poof it goes out. Shuts down several times, shows a 400 temp, goes out again after resetting the temp. Checked plug, wires...everything on my side works but not the smoker. Since this so common what's being done about it. Do we have to pay to replace the parts when it's not our fault? So disappointed. Loved this thing. I will update once I hear from Masterbuilt.

Dear Nick,
Thank you for contacting us. Please be aware we were closed Monday and Tuesday of this week and there may be a delay in our response to your web submission. If you would like, please contact us by phone today, Thursday, or Friday to allow us to assist you with your unit. Our number is 800-489-1581 and we look forward to hearing from you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have a MES 30 smoker that I purchased about two years ago. After a little over a year and 3 uses, the heating element quit working. Of course, it was out of warranty by that time so I contacted Masterbuilt and they sent a new element, (at my cost). Now, after another year and a few more uses, the digital controller is shutting off and I have to unplug it for a while and it may or may not work. I love using this unit when it works but so far it's only been working about 2/3 of the time. I haven't contacted the manufacturer about this problem yet but, depending on how this is resolved, I probably will not purchase another Masterbuilt product. Btw, it has been cleaned and stored inside after every use.

Dear Steve,
We are very sorry to hear this has occurred and would like to help! Please do contact us via email on our website or by phone and we can assist you with troubleshooting your unit and/or sending replacement parts as needed. We look forward to hearing from you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I bought mine and was pleased until after 9 months went by and I learned the manufacture warranty is only 90 days. I turned on the smoker and it would not heat as it thought it was already 400. I have a 4 year warranty with Sam's as I purchased a 3 year and get an extra year being a plus member. Set up a claim but cannot find anyone locally that will touch it and I am not sending this in via UPS or etc. It really upset me, as I have both the propane and electric and have replaced the faulty ends on the electrical and done all I can figure to get it to work. Thought it fixed itself as I noticed it turned on by itself when I plugged it in but then still said 400. Tried to call and found out my they are open when I am at work. So, it sits in my shop as I decide what to do with it next. I think I would stay away from this as I may have used mine 9 or 10 times and definitely did not get 320$ out of it.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for any inconvenience. We can assist you with the unit and would love to hear from you! Please call us @ 1-800-489-1581. We are available to you Mon-Fri, 8am-7pm EST through until January 2nd when we will revert back to our regular hours of 8am-5pm EST. Please let us know how we can help!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I received this smoker as a gift last Christmas. Worked great for 3 times. Then the internal thermometer quit working, and as I don’t use the smoker but maybe once a month, the warranty went out. The smoker seems to work good but how can you accurately smoke meat if you don’t have an internal thermometer. As I’ve dug further into this problem, I’ve noticed this is a problem with this company. You might want to send a notification to your customers unless this is a ploy to keep the customer buying from you in the future. And as much money as these things cost you’d think the product would come with a better warranty. This product is kept inside when not in use. No one operates it but me. Don’t buy these products unless you would like to keep sending them money for new parts.

Dear Chris,
I am very sorry to hear this has happened. If you'd like to send me a private response, I'd be happy to work with you via email/phone to see if we can't assist you in this matter and get your smoker working again!
I look forward to hearing back from you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

While I did enjoy my Masterbuilt 30” electric smoker (mod. 20070411) for about 15 months, on my last attempt to cook I discovered there is an electrical short in my unit. I connected it to 4 different plugs (GFCI and non-GFCI), and it tripped the breaker each time it was plugged in. I talked to customer service and they advised me the warranty expired after 12 months and sending the unit in for repair would likely cost more than purchasing a new unit. How ridiculous!

I didn’t realize this was a disposable product. And how convenient that the short appeared after the warranty expired. If I must resort to purchasing a new smoker, I assure you it WON’T be a Masterbuilt! Based on the reviews I’ve read, this short seems to be a common issue. One would think the manufacturer would want to correct the issue and make their customers happy with their product, not vowing to purchase anything but their product. It certainly should work longer than 15 months.

Dear Jay,
I am very sorry to hear you've had this experience. I would like to help, if possible. Please send me a private response and I will assist you if I can! I hope to hear from you soon!

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

First the good news. I purchased this Masterbuilt smoker 20070910 in Oct 2014 and have Loved it every time I've used it. It's fantastic when it works, and I bought it on the recommendation of a neighbor that had one just like it. So I've probably used it 20 times in three years. The morning before a recent party, I went to plug it in and it immediately tripped my outdoor circuit. I went online and found that this is a reasonably common occurrence, sometimes at a particular temperature, and other times immediately when plugging it. I did a few of the troubleshooting steps from the forum (including drying out the heating element with a blow torch, etc) to no avail.

I had heard that the factory had a very helpful reputation. I called, and found their customer service agent very knowledgeable and friendly. Unfortunately, I also found that this model is being phased out because of this very problem. Apparently, since it's beyond a year old, the cost of the potential fix is equal to the cost of a whole new system. Sooo, on the one hand, I loved this unit, but I intended on having a unit for at least 10 years, not 3. I'm now very suspicious of repeating the same mistake with a newer version of the same with the outlay of an additional $250. No other invitation was made by the company for sharing in the cost of replacement. In essence, their poor quality production is potentially generating new sales revenue for the company... And I hate sending that reinforcing message (I've never been a fan of planned obsolescence). So, I guess it is buyer beware. Really heartbroken about the this end to one of my favorite purchases.

Dear David,
We are very sorry to hear that this occurred. Unfortunately, from time to time, when our Design Teams implement a newer model, the older one is phased out, and then the parts availability begins to also dwindle. This is unfortunately a common process in the manufacturing business. There are a few other places you may be able to find parts. If you'd like that information, please send a private response and I will try to assist you further.
Sincerely

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I went to use an Masterbuilt Electric Smoker I purchased approximately one year ago. I used the smoker twice last summer and this was the first time to use it this year. I plugged in the smoker, turned on the power and when I tried to set the temperature it got to about 140 and then powered off. Trying to turn it back on using the power button caused numbers to flash, but the unit would not power up. Unplugged the unit for 10-15 seconds and plugged it back in. Was able to set temperature and when I set time, it once again powered off. Unplug and reset the temperature and was able to set time, but temperature reading is obviously incorrect as I used a separate temperature gauge to monitor the temperature. I attempted to raise the temp to meet my gauge and the controller powered off again. This smoker has been kept indoors during storage and not left out in the elements.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We are very sorry to hear this has occurred and would like to help! Please feel free to use our Support Request form on our website (www.masterbuilt.com) or call us @ 800-489-1581. We would be glad to assist, and your unit does come with a one-year warranty so we may be able to get you the parts you need under that warranty! We look forward to hearing from you!

Resolution response: Dec. 1, 2017

I finally reached someone at Masterbuilt and was able to purchase another element for $29.99.It is on the way.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I a have a Masterbuilt Digital Smoker Model # 20070810. The element shorts out after 4 or 5 uses. I only use it 2 or 3 times per year. My element shorted out again when I turned it on Thanksgiving Day 2017. I called Masterbuilt Friday. Closed for Thanksgiving Holidays. Called Monday and got a message then a busy signal all the rest of the day. Called Tuesday. After 1 and 1/2 hours on hold, told their system was down and to call back Wednesday. Called Back Wednesday and after 1/2 hour on hold told they would be out for some time leave my number. I have had it. Can you believe that large companies like Sam’s Club, Bass Pro Shops etc. market this junk. It is time to contact the retailers and tell them to stop marketing this junk to customers and inform them of their terrible customer service and inferior product.

Dear David,
Please accept our sincerest apologies. We had some awful issues with our system Monday and Tuesday of this week and were unable to accept calls or orders for most of those days. We are back online and would like to help! Please give us a call at your convenience!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I bought this 30" MES Bluetooth smoker last week, it dies the next day. Took it back to Lowe's and got another. Guess what! Its heating element and Bluetooth are malfunctioning. Called customer support, after waiting on hold over 3 hours, I hung up. Called the next day and waited on hold 2.5 hours before hanging up. Reading these reviews, I see that "Tiffany" has the same response for all, and Tiffany, I think what you're MISSING here, is that we don't TRUST Masterbuilt anymore!!! As for me, I'm DONE!!! Your "quality control" is non existent!!!

Dear Sir/Madam,
We apologize for any inconvenience. We were experiencing some technical issues which affected our ability to answer calls earlier this week. We are back online and accepting calls and encourage you to call in for assistance. There are several tips our agents can offer to help resolve what's occurring. We look forward to assisting you!

Resolution response: Nov. 29, 2017

I was able to get through the Masterbuilt today and I spoke with a delightful lady named Susan. She apologized for the hold time and cut off of my call yesterday, after I was on hold for 1 hour and 10 minutes. It seems they have been both busy and having problems with the queue system. It was not supposed to make me leave a message, but I should have been sent to a customer service person since I was already in the queue at closing time.

Susan said the warranty period had been extended to 1 year, and was not 90 days as stated in the book. So, my control panel will be replaced at no charge. She also said that after I installed the new panel, they would cover any other problems that may arise once I got the smoker to turn on. So, this was a pleasant resolution to what I thought was going to be a bad experience. Hopefully I won't have any more problems in the near future. I hope everyone reads this after my not so glowing review of 11-27-2017.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 30" smoker on 11-25-2016 and have used it 3 times. The smoker is always kept inside. When I tried to fire it up Friday night (11-24-2017) there was no response on the control panel. No number, error codes, the Power light didn't come on, nothing. So, I got out the book and went through the reset 4 times. The unit beeped once each time I plugged it back in, but, still nothing on the control panel. The book said to call Masterbuilt. But, it was after hours and they aren't open on Saturday. When I checked the book, it said there was a 90 day warranty, but, as I read Masterbuilt's answers to the posts on this site, Masterbuilt said there was a 1 year warranty. Considering it was now Saturday, 11-25-2017, the exact one year mark, I couldn't call until Monday (today).

At 11:00 a.m., I started calling and got busy signals until sometime after 12:00. Then a recording said they were closed for an hour. After that, I kept getting busy signals until I got in the queue at 2:50. I stayed on hold for an hour and ten minutes. I started out at 5th in line and made it all the way down to "You're next". Then, precisely at 4:00, closing time, I hear, "please leave a message". I was hotter than that smoker ever got. At the very least, I expect for Masterbuilt to replace the control unit at no charge or replace the entire unit. We'll see if I get a call from them in the morning. Next stop, Cabela's customer reviews.

Dear William,
Please accept our sincerest apologies - we have been having some technical issues with our internal systems to include our phones and were unable to accept calls or orders for the last couple of days. We are back online now and able to assist you. Please give us a call at your convenience, or use our web email submission form on our website and we would be happy to assist you!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I bought my Masterbuilt 30in model number 20071217 a year ago and it started give me problems only a few months later. I have to overset the temperature just to get it where I need it to be and then have to use a separate temperature gauge inside because the one in the smoker is way off. It also only smokes very briefly and then stops. I have to basically stand over it the whole time to attempt to get it to work properly and it disappoints every time.

Dear Kevin,
We are very sorry to hear this! We offer a 1-year warranty on our units, to include what sounds like your unit's controller. We can definitely help and hope you'll give us the opportunity to do so! Just give us a call! We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I purchased the Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker and have had problems with it since the first use. The unit cannot be plugged into a GFCI outlet, it trips the outlet immediately. Masterbuilt cannot solve this problem, even after sending me a new element the unit still trips the GFCI with the new element installed. After plugging into a non GFCI protected outlet the unit stays on but the digital controller does not work, the temperature climbs and climbs, the electric element never turns off. What a waste of money. It sits in my garage because it simply does not work as advertised. Masterbuilt customer support is awful, I basically have scrap metal.

Dear Nick,

This experience is never what we want or strive for with our customer service. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. We pride ourselves on our products and our customer service! Please ask to speak to one of our experienced agents who can definitely assist you with this issue! If you'd like to send us a private message, we can give you the name of who you'll need to speak with. We look forward to assisting you!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I have had the 40" electric smoker for about 18 months now. In that time I have used it about 10 times and was happy with how it operated. Until Yesterday when I went to turn it on and set time and temp, the panel went haywire just running through the settings then shut off. I had to unplug it for awhile then retry it several times. Finally the panel lit up but does not function. My problem is that a piece of equipment you spend 300.00 plus on should last more than 18 months and 10 uses. At this rate it would be cheaper to buy smoked meat. I wondered how well electric smokers held up now I know. It looks like I am not the only one with control panel problems just by googling it.

Dear JD,
We are very sorry this has happened and would like to assist if we can! We do offer a 1-year warranty on our units, to include the controller that's giving you some trouble. We can offer you a replacement part to get your smoker up and running again! We hope you'll give us the chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a 5-star one!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I have a 30 inch Masterbuilt smoker. Used 10 time or less. About the 5 time shuts off. Try to restart. Just clicks. Called Masterbuilt. They told me to clean the eye and it work that time. 11-22 went to use. It just clicks. These things are junk!!! I'm officially done with this piece of crap!!!

Dear Bill,
We are sorry to hear this. You may need to replace your control panel on your unit. We can assist you with order and would be happy to help! Please give us a call back or if you'd like to work with me personally, just send me a private response and I'll provide you with my information.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I’ve used this smoker less than a dozen times. It’s never been in weather and is stored indoors. Yet the controller has failed. Sometimes it just clicks rapidly when I try to turn it on. Other times it turns off by itself anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours into the cooking cycle. I have to keep a constant eye on it to make sure it’s stays on and the food doesn’t get ruined. Reading other reviews, it appears this is a common problem. I’ve always been told that Masterbuilt is one of the best brands of smokers. I was hoping for years of enjoyable use. But I’m very disappointed with this product.

Dear John,

We are very sorry to hear this has happened and would like to assist you with getting a replacement controller for your unit sent out to you! . If you would, please utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-7pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are here to assist. We look forward to helping you!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I am on my second electric Masterbuilt Smoker, the first one was a hand me down but I had to replace the heating element every two or three uses. I saw a newer model for sale last year with electronic controls and decided to upgrade. It has tripped GFCIs since day one. Now the electronic controls have gone off the rails. I am trying to cook our Thanksgiving turkey and it shuts off randomly, and the temperature just keeps going higher and higher regardless of the set temperature. These smokers have not lasted me more than 18 months. That's sorry. I feel like a well taken care of smoker should last at least 5 years when I'm using it 6-8 times a year. The price seems right but I would recommend trying a different brand in the future.

Dear Bobby,

Thank you for taking time to share this with us. This experience is never what we want or strive for with our customer service. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. If you would, please utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are here to assist. We look forward to helping you.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have had this Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (20071814) for 2 years, but it has only been used 5 times and stored indoors when not in use. The control panel now clicks repeatedly when I try to set a temp. If I unplug and then plug it in again it might eventually start working, but I might go through that process for 15 or 20 minutes. It may then shut off during the cook so I have to constantly check. Seems to defeat the purpose of having an electric over a wood smoker. I contacted customer support and was told it was out of warranty and I would have to purchase a new control panel.

I mentioned that this seems to be a common problem with their units and even with the 2 year age, the limited amount of use should have some bearing on that decision. I later sent them an email message asking if this part comes with any kind of warranty and has there been any changes made to correct this issue with the control panel. Never heard back. Seems redundant to purchase the exact same part that has already shown to be unreliable. I thought I was getting a good deal on this smoker when I found it on sale. Now I have become another casualty of MasterBuilt.

Dear William,
We are very sorry to hear you've had this experience. Our warranty does extend to cover the unit and all parts for 1 year. We are constantly working to improve our parts and if an issue with your unit's control panel was identified, we assure you it was or is being fixed immediately as we take great pride in our products. If we can assist you in replacing your control panel, please let us know!

Resolution response: Dec. 15, 2017

I posted my problem on Materbuilt's FB page and I got a quick response. Since, I have received a new smoker BODY, transferred all my parts including the controller, powered it up 5 times, just as a test and it seems to be working fine. Thank You Masterbuilt!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I bought a Masterbuilt smoker (Model # 20070311) 08/3/2016 through Walmart. I have used this smoker 6 times so far. The 3rd time I used it, it shut off all by itself within the 1st hour of a 10 hour timer. I thought it might have been my GFCI outlet. I turned it back on, set the time/temp and it worked just fine for the rest of my set cook time. The 4th time, no problem -- the 5th and 6th time, it shut off by itself again. The 6th time was this morning. My bad for not calling Masterbuilt the 1st time it happened.

Now it is 3 months out of warranty and I haven't even used it since July 3rd. They want $29.99 for a controller and $10 to ship. This is unacceptable for a smoker that I paid $335 for. 10% of the purchase price to repair!!!??? I have looked online and see that there are a lot of folks that have had the same problem. Shame on Masterbuilt! I will NEVER buy another one of their products and I will do my best to keep others from buying either. When you talk to the Masterbuilt Reps (twice for me), they act like they have never heard of this problem. I say Hogwash!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We apologize for any inconvenience. Our warranty does cover your unit for the period of 1 yr. It sounds like the issue experienced was intermittent which makes it hard to determine whether to call or not. We definitely could have replaced the control panel within that warranty period at no cost to you. We're sorry we were unable to assist you during that time. If you decide to give the replacement control panel a shot - please just give us a call and we will do what we can to help!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have had my Masterbuilt 30 glass front electric smoker for 1 year now. 3 months after I bought it the control panel went out & the Masterbuilt customer service sent me a new one. I went to use it about 2 months ago & wouldn't you know? The control panel went out IN THE MIDDLE of smoking!!! Called customer service again & they said when I get done using it I should be removing the control panel. Can't say I saw this in the booklet. I'm not wasting my money on another Masterbuilt as I had a propane one before this & the closing handle broke off. Pure junk.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Dear Jessica, I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience and would love to work with you to see if there is something we can do to assist you in this matter. If you are able, please give me a call or send me a private response back and I will give you my contact information so I can assist you as needed. Thank you in advance for your reply!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information

www.masterbuilt.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use