Masterbuilt Smokehouses
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Masterbuilt Smokehouses

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

182 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have had this Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (20071814) for 2 years, but it has only been used 5 times and stored indoors when not in use. The control panel now clicks repeatedly when I try to set a temp. If I unplug and then plug it in again it might eventually start working, but I might go through that process for 15 or 20 minutes. It may then shut off during the cook so I have to constantly check. Seems to defeat the purpose of having an electric over a wood smoker. I contacted customer support and was told it was out of warranty and I would have to purchase a new control panel.

I mentioned that this seems to be a common problem with their units and even with the 2 year age, the limited amount of use should have some bearing on that decision. I later sent them an email message asking if this part comes with any kind of warranty and has there been any changes made to correct this issue with the control panel. Never heard back. Seems redundant to purchase the exact same part that has already shown to be unreliable. I thought I was getting a good deal on this smoker when I found it on sale. Now I have become another casualty of MasterBuilt.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I bought a Masterbuilt smoker (Model # 20070311) 08/3/2016 through Walmart. I have used this smoker 6 times so far. The 3rd time I used it, it shut off all by itself within the 1st hour of a 10 hour timer. I thought it might have been my GFCI outlet. I turned it back on, set the time/temp and it worked just fine for the rest of my set cook time. The 4th time, no problem -- the 5th and 6th time, it shut off by itself again. The 6th time was this morning. My bad for not calling Masterbuilt the 1st time it happened.

Now it is 3 months out of warranty and I haven't even used it since July 3rd. They want $29.99 for a controller and $10 to ship. This is unacceptable for a smoker that I paid $335 for. 10% of the purchase price to repair!!!??? I have looked online and see that there are a lot of folks that have had the same problem. Shame on Masterbuilt! I will NEVER buy another one of their products and I will do my best to keep others from buying either. When you talk to the Masterbuilt Reps (twice for me), they act like they have never heard of this problem. I say Hogwash!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We apologize for any inconvenience. Our warranty does cover your unit for the period of 1 yr. It sounds like the issue experienced was intermittent which makes it hard to determine whether to call or not. We definitely could have replaced the control panel within that warranty period at no cost to you. We're sorry we were unable to assist you during that time. If you decide to give the replacement control panel a shot - please just give us a call and we will do what we can to help!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have had my Masterbuilt 30 glass front electric smoker for 1 year now. 3 months after I bought it the control panel went out & the Masterbuilt customer service sent me a new one. I went to use it about 2 months ago & wouldn't you know? The control panel went out IN THE MIDDLE of smoking!!! Called customer service again & they said when I get done using it I should be removing the control panel. Can't say I saw this in the booklet. I'm not wasting my money on another Masterbuilt as I had a propane one before this & the closing handle broke off. Pure junk.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Dear Jessica, I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience and would love to work with you to see if there is something we can do to assist you in this matter. If you are able, please give me a call or send me a private response back and I will give you my contact information so I can assist you as needed. Thank you in advance for your reply!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

This Masterbuilt Electric Smoker I bought as a gift for my husband. I feel cheap. This unit has issues and he gets frustrated and so do I. It makes me sad that he always wants to use it and once he starts using it he gets in a bad mood because our food gets ruined. The unit is constantly shutting off. Seems to work OK for the first few hours and then it is out of control. We called Masterbuilt and they did nothing. I spent the money and got a new control unit on the top and the still does the same thing. If you are not paying attention and walk away, you can come back to a cold smoker and the unit is off. We have tried different locations and the results are the same, so I know it isn't electrical sources, it is stored inside and kept covered so it's not that. I just received a defective product and I would never buy anything Masterbuilt ever again.

Jeana,
We are very sorry to hear that this has been your experience. This is never what we want for our customers and hope that you'll give us the opportunity to work with you to assist you in getting your smoker working correctly again. At your convenience, please give us a call or email us through our website to see what we can do for you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought this smoker for my husband for Christmas last year, He was sooo excited, his 2 cousins and friend bought one as well. I can count the times he used the smoker on my hand. Now the smoker won't even turn on!!! We have done everything Academy Sports has told us to do and it still doesn't power up! We toted the smoker to Academy where they informed us that there was not a year warranty on this as I was led to believe. Very poor business. The reference number was ** created 10/2/17 with Academy. My proof of purchase was 11/19/16 and in 10 months of pure perfect care of this Masterbuilt Smoker it will not power up and they offered us 20% off another one... Heck no, I am so embarrassed that I talked others into purchasing and just waiting for their smoker to malfunction... I am very disheartened that there was no help for us!

Marcia,
We are very sorry to hear this has happened! Please call us!! If you have your proof of purchase and you're in that one-year warranty period, we can help you get what you need to get your product back in working order! We are here to help! Our number is 800-489-1581 and we are available Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST.

Customer Support Specialist

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Resolution response: Nov. 13, 2017

Masterbuilt Smoke houses has finally resolved my problem by supplying new controllers for both the master unit and the remote.

Thank you very much.

Ed **

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Smoker Model 20070411 SN AS111715. I received my Smoker and assembled it, when I put batteries in the remote the screen was obviously defective. I contacted Masterbuilt Customer Service and received a reply that they are working on it. As of 4 days NO RESPONSE! The seller of the product does not provide Customer Assistance. They tell me to contact Masterbuilt. I contacted Masterbuilt 4 days ago and NO Results. Apparently Masterbuilt does not support it either. I will now have to contact The State Attorney for Consumer Protection and the FTC. DO NOT BUY MASTERBUILT PRODUCTS!!!

Dear Edward,
I am very sorry to hear that you were unable to get a response from our email. We are closed on the weekend which may explain some of the delay. I am currently working on emails and would very much like to assist you with this matter. If you have not already received a response, please take a moment and resend your information and I will happily place that order for you!
I look forward to assisting you!

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

2.5 years ago I received the 30” basic electric smoker for retirement and since then I have had a blast. Ribs, butts, chicken, turkeys, and salmon have all been excellent. But I could not fit a whole brisket in the box. I have occasionally smoked butts for a local soup kitchen and the patrons go wild. To do the 6 or 7 butts I need to feed them, it takes 2 batches. I really don’t mind but it is really time consuming. I thought about buying the 40” model, but could not justify the expense. Then one day the director of the soup kitchen told me just got 3 whole briskets. I immediately went Lowe’s who had the 40” on sale for less than $300. I was now in the brisket business. The first couple of cooks went really well. But during the last 2 cooks, times have been getting out of hand.

I generally do butts at 225 for 5 hours that gets them to about 160 or so. Then Texas crutch for 3 hours then into the cooler. Perfect. I had 2 butts at 225 and they were barely to 130 in 5 hours. Cranked it to 275 and 2 hours later I was at 151. Same results for the previous cook. Today, I deep cleaned both smokers. Got my oven thermometer and calibrated in my KitchenAid oven. Spot on at 250 and 275. Checked the old 30” and the readout on the smoker and the thermometer were exactly 275. Went to the 40”. The best I could get was 253. And I watched the readout fluctuate between 264 and 280 over the course of 2 hours. But the thermometer stayed at 254. Now remember that this is an empty smoker. I can live with it. I would just prefer the same consistency between the 2 smokers. I will now cook with the oven thermometer and of course give myself extra time.

Dear Joe,
Thanks for sharing your feedback on your two smokers! We're so pleased to have you as a part of our Customer Family! If we can be of any assistance or service with your new unit, we may be able to help troubleshoot and determine if there an issue with it as well as any replacement parts you may need! We'd be glad to talk it over with you! You can call us @ 800-489-1581 and we're here 8am-5pm Mon-Fri EST. Thank you for choosing Masterbuilt!
-Janel

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have used this unit a total of less than 15x. I kept it covered and cleaned it every 3 or 4x after use. The first thing to go was the thermometer/meat probe. It no longer read the meat but simply read 320 degrees. Then the unit would start to flip the gfi it was attached into. Now the unit will not even power at all. Oh - and the plastic bubbled around the display, making it look like crap. Then I found out the warranty was only 90 days... I just about 'flipped my lid'. I truly hope Masterbuilt will stand behind this unit which is less than 11 months old.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Thank you for sharing this! Our warranty is actually 1 year from the date of purchase so you can definitely get replacement parts for your unit. You can either email us through the Support Form on our website (www.masterbuilt.com) or you can call us @ 1-800-489-1581. We'd be glad to assist either way! And hopefully we can turn that one star into 5! We look forward to assisting you!
-Janel

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I got my smoker and loved it until this last time I tried to use it. It has only been used twice and stored in the garage so it is covered from the elements. This time, when I set the temperature, it would act like it was working, then turn off a few minutes later. It would stay on 275 but any change in that temp and it would turn off. I would really like a replacement. It is a lot of money to pay for something that doesn't work correctly. We had to finish our meal inside. Thankfully we were able to do that because we would have had no dinner.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for taking time to share this experience. We are sorry that this is what happened to you - this is never what we want for our customers. Please give our Customer Service a chance to troubleshoot this unit for you? We would be happy to help you get what you need to make your smoking experience with our unit a positive one. We look forward to assisting you! Our number is 800-489-1581 and we are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Purchased a Masterbuilt smoker about two and half months ago. Loved it until the control panel wouldn't: A. Work with app or B. Properly regulate the temperature of the smoker. Trust me, when this smoker works, it's awesome, but when that's done, it's ruined meat, frustration and ruins all of the family fun and good meals. Called their Customer svc number today. It rang and rang and then just disconnected. UNREAL. A company of this size should have adequate customer service reps, or maybe they are being overwhelmed with warranty complaints. Hope they get their act together. I love it when it works, but...

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the phone issue - our phone system was down yesterday afternoon, so we were unable to assist you. Please give us a call today? Our phones are back up and online. You're also welcome to email us through our website form as well @ www.masterbuilt.com We look forward to assisting you!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

It should be an extremely easy thing to use an electric smoker, but "Masterbuilt" makes it truly infuriating. Already replaced one part, the connector to the heating element because it literally disintegrated. Now the thermometer isn't working, saying the temp is way higher than it is so it's not heating up. Oh and pretty much from the very beginning the meat probe just doesn't work. So after less than a year of use it's basically as functional as a 25 year old car that's never had maintenance. Long story short, everything about these are cheap and it shows very fast, not worth the money at all.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We are sorry that your experience with our product has been so poor. We have an awesome Customer Service Department with terrific agents who can assist you with any replacement parts you may need for your unit and we offer a one-year warranty as well. We hope you will give us the opportunity to turn your Masterbuilt experience into a 100% positive one!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have had my unit for about a year, the controller kept shutting off in the middle of the cook. I reached out to Masterbuilt and they sent me a new controller and now it is doing the same thing! Very frustrating and I am sure they will reply to contact them but I am concerned that even if I do get ANOTHER controller, it will do the same thing!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - we are very sorry for any inconvenience. We would be happy to assist you with the issues with your controller - please give us a call so that we can help! Also, please ask one of our agents about our covers for our smokers as well? This may help increase the life of your controller if weather is a factor. We look forward to assisting you!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

This Masterbuilt Electric Smoker was bought as a gift from my in-laws as a housewarming gift since I love grilling and smoking meats. When this smoker works, I love it. But, the issue is that it shuts off and doesn't work when it wants. If you are not paying it any attention and walk away, you can come back to a cold smoker and the unit is off. You get it to work, I constantly have to keep unplugging it until it decides to work properly. Not to mention that if you keep pressing the buttons, it will shut off. I have tried this at 3 different locations and the results are the same, so I know it isn't electrical sources, I just received a defective product. The times it does work, I would say I love this thing. The food is amazing. But, the issues make me want to push this thing into Lake Michigan. Great product when it wants to work.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I received the 30" smokeless smoker as a gift last Christmas. I immediately tried it and was very pleased with results. The second time, little to no smoke. Thought I did something wrong but figured out I am now the proud new owner of an electric oven instead of a smoker. After reading these reviews, I believe Masterbuilt smokers are just poorly designed and a waste of money. I don't have time to spend hours on end troubleshooting this boat anchor nor am I willing to spend any money getting it fixed. Guess I'll go back to my trouble free charcoal smoker.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We are sorry to hear of your experience with your smoker. There are a few reasons why you are having this issue and we hope you'll allow us to help you troubleshoot it via email or phone. It is something that can be resolved!! You can submit a support request form on our website (www.masterbuilt.com) or you can call us @ 800-489-1581. We look forward to assisting you and getting you back to enjoying your Masterbuilt Smoker!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Masterbuilt signature series electric smoker - Have had my smoker for approx. 2 years. In the last 6 months the wiring in the back has burnt up 5 times. Had to rewire each time but running out of wiring. Will work until you are about halfway through the smoking process then heating shuts down due to burnt wiring.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We are sorry that you had this experience with your smoker and sincerely hope you will give us the option to assist you with it. We do offer replacement parts which may prove to be a better resolution for you. Please give us a call @ 800-489-1581. We are available to assist you Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I bought this unit a year ago so by the time I realized it wasn't working correctly, it's out of warranty. Problem is it only has heat settings to 175 degrees. Could not figure that out, since the book said I should set to 275 to cure for first time. Since their website and manual give no troubleshooting info or anything else of meaningful use, I was stuck wondering **. I was able to smoke fish, took twice as long. Big flaw in whole is, as soon as the unit gets to set heat setting, the heating element shuts off (expected) and chips stop burning (no smoke) then it never remains on long enough to burn anymore. Save your money, I wasted mine. Funny how the company website search does not find their own model number.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would like the opportunity to assist you with this issue and hope you will take a moment to give us a call so that we can help you find a resolution to the issue you're having. Our number is 800-489-1581 or you can use the email submission form under the Support tab on our website: www.masterbuilt.com We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

2 months ago I ordered a part for my smoker grill and for 2 months I was told it's on back order. Now I was told that the part I requested was not a high priority part so your company will not send it or even make one. I requested my money back and I want this review posted so people become aware of your terrible treatment of a consumer who will never recommend any of your products again.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We are very sorry for this issue and promise you that each of our customers is a priority. Above all, we value your satisfaction. We hope you have been able to reach a resolution to this issue. If not, please contact our Customer Service Department @ 800-489-1581. We are available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Bought the Sportsman Elite Smoker as a gift for my husband last year. He used it one time in the summer and the second time was in the winter. The second use was kind of iffy... we attributed it being so cold outside. We brought it up to lake this weekend to smoke some meat for a family outing and it won't heat up at all. Of course Masterbuilt is cussed for a "team building" event and is not taking calls. Very frustrated. Bought this from Cabela' s... Maybe they should think about the products they sell.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

We apologize for this situation as well as the delay in responding to your message. We hope you were able to find a solution to the issue. If not, please contact our Customer Service Department @ 800-489-1581. We are available Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Wife and Kids bought me this smoker, size is 30, has the Bluetooth so newbies can smoke the meat and monitor it from the ease of your couch. This does not work at all, the smoker goes and changes it's temp from 225 to 800 on its own and the Bluetooth does not communicate with the smoker at all. I called the company and they sent out another control panel which does not work either... Just a big piece of junk that burned up $100 worth of meat... Scared it will burn my home down and catch fire since it wants to change temps to 800 degrees on its own... I want my money back please for the smoker and the meat.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Bought this smoker about a year ago. On July 4th weekend I had friends coming over. Meat had been marinating for many hours and ready to have a great meal. Went out and started the smoker and returned 15 to 20 minutes later only to find the smoker would not heat up. Checked the reviews to see if anyone was having problems with the heating element going bad only to find numerous complaints. I wrote on the Masterbuilt web site of my problem over 3 weeks ago. To date, I have heard nothing form Masterbuilt! I even told them that this was only the 4th time the smoker had been used. I strongly recommend no one buy a Masterbuilt smoker, evidently they do not support their own product!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Please accept our apologies for this situation as well as our delayed response to your message. We hope you were able to find a resolution to your issue, however, if you have not, please call our Customer Service Department and see about getting a replacement element for your unit. 800-489-1581, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I enjoyed using this smoker, easy and fun results. After about 25 uses, it failed to heat correctly. It would heat up to 212 degrees max, then drop temp to 120 and stay there. I replaced the heating element. Same problem. Contacted Masterbuilt tech support. They said the control unit is the problem. Purchased the control unit for $36 and installed it. Still same problem. Contacted tech support again, I wanted to purchase the thermostat. They do not support that part. Are you kidding me? Nope. They suggested I purchase the smoker housing and swap out the old door, shelves, handle etc. Would cost $250. No thanks. I removed the back panel, found the thermostat had a broken terminal. Went to my local appliance repair parts store and purchased a thermostat for $11.86. Sure better than $250. If anyone needs that part, it's part number is SLS300 Automatic Rollouts. Thanks Masterbuilt. But no thanks!!!

Original review: June 22, 2017

Masterbuilt Smoker is a horrible product. Don't waste your money on something for only one or two good use and paying to replace the crap they made is ridiculous. You are better off buying another piece of crab unit. I would never again.

Original review: June 1, 2017

After two units purchased and put together to find problems with the units and a total of 3 hours of waiting for someone to answer from customer service, the best the company tells me is return the unit and purchase another one, putting it all together again. Really this is customer service. I put more time and effort in trying to get a product that would work and is correct and found this company to be a horrible example of customer service. I could go on to explain how I was hung up on and my email was never returned but it really does not matter. I would tell anyone that wants a product they can count on and also a company that will stand by it to look elsewhere.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I am not shy about expressing my displeasure with a product of company when I have a bad experience so when a company does well I think it's only fair to give them kudos. I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker about 4 years ago. Shortly after I bought it I started have trouble with the electronic control unit. I should have addressed it then but I did not. Recently it quit working completely. I e-mailed their Customer Service only asking for some technical help in diagnosing the problem so I could purchase the necessary replacement parts. After reviewing my e-mail Masterbuilt felt it was justified to send me a new electronic control unit AND new heating element completely free! The unit's warranty is 90 days. Mine is about 4 years old. How's that for GREAT customer service! Thanks a bunch Masterbuilt! That is how you retain and gain customers!

Original review: March 21, 2017

I used my Model 2007910 electric smoker TWICE. Both times excellent results. When I tried to set it to use for a weekend cookout, all I get is 300F on controller. I can set the temp and timer but it reverts back to 300F. After reading all the other problems I am very disheartened about this product or the remedies.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I did so much homework before buying this electric smoker with glass door for $350.00. All the reviews said how easy it was to get replacement parts, how great the company was. The competition was from Canada mainly, I wanted a USA built product, so I thought we did it right. Wrong. The smoker didn't last 2 years, with under 20 uses. The unit would not heat anymore, they sent a replacement element, still didn't work. The units are only warrantied for 1 year, and by the looks of everyone else on this site, 2 years in the magic number for product failure. I almost think everyone who purchased in 2015 received faulty products.

The customer service people were very nice, it's not their fault that by the looks of it, the company they work for makes a use by date product. We recommended this unit to friends and family, they bought it also, but we will not purchase another Masterbuilt again. Too much money for a cheap product that doesn't last 2 years. So disappointed in Masterbuilt.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Masterbuilt Smoker 20075315. After two years connections to heating element have burned out. Smoker was kept inside except for use. From what I am reading here and on other sites, it is a known common problem. Now I can't find a replacement element (after hours of searching) to try to fix this $300 piece of landfill material. I wouldn't spend the money had I known of this problem.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Received as a gift a Masterbuilt (20070910) electric smoker less than 1 years ago, used it sparingly, probably about 6 times. It worked well initially and I loved the product that came out of it. I have not used it for about 4 months, now when I try to start it, it will not take a temperature set point, so the unit will not heat. I displays no error codes to even allow a diagnosis of the problem. I contacted Masterbuilt customer service and they did send me a new digital control panel, but still the same problem. So I called them back and was told that if that did not fix the problem it would take a body replacement to resolve the issue at a cost of $199. About the cost of a new smoker.

A body replacement is the entire smoker except for the control panel. I would need to replace the entire body because they tried to explain that no other parts are serviceable, boy that is hard to understand why. They did say that they "might" be able to help if I had a receipt for the purchase, but because it was a gift no help there. I don't see how receipt would change the poor quality of the product that they sold. So after about a half a dozen uses of the smoker and it is junk. My experience seems to like everyone else's here, Masterbuilt smokers are crap, stay away from them!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I am the owner of a MES30, Mod#20070910, Ser#CU041335. The unit is approx 2-3 years old. Purchased from Amazon. It has about 12-15 smokes on it. Approx. 1 year ago it began to shut itself off before it reached desired temperature. Turning it off and on seemed to work. In Oct. 2016 it quit & ruined several pounds of salmon. I called Masterbuilt, they were kind enough to replace the control unit which worked once. Feb 2016 it ruined more meat. Again they replaced the control unit (great service). When I plugged in the new one & set the temp to 250 to test, it went to 275 before I shut it off. Masterbuilt offered to sell a frame kit? For what a whole new unit costs. I am stuck with a $200 junk. Customer service people are nice and helpful but the product has a flaw. I see complaint after complaint about the same problems, both on smoking forums & YouTube. So I know I am not the first with issues on the otherwise good unit.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

So I bought the 40" electric Smoker model #20070311. I have had the unit approx. 2 years. The entire time the unit has been kept in a temperature controlled environment in the original box. The second time I used it the control panel started flickering and shut the machine down completely. I have asked Masterbuilt for a special exception in this case. Waiting for a response. So far I have not been impressed or satisfied with Masterbuilt products and would not buy again or recommend them.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information