Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

20070512 electric smoker - Used smoker 5 times cost $379.00, found unit smoking from electrical panel in back, it tripped breaker. Took unit apart, here it had started melting foam inside box, POOR design. Seen there was a recall on unit, called Masterbuilt, lady said only recall is on firebox. It gets too hot and may blow door open. Bunch of BS, thing almost caught on fire next to my shop. If I could post pictures of what it looks like inside after I peeled off cover on back it's very poor design, wires are spray foamed tight to hot metal so they heated up and shorted out. Please don't buy no smokers from Masterbuilt. Poor customer service, product sucks. Masterbuilt has no quality!!!

So I bought the smoker about two years ago. Used it four times. Worked great when it was working. Had my next batch of meat all seasoned and ready to go and plugged it in the smoker and it turned on for about 30 seconds and then beeped and turned off and it has been dead ever since. It's been sitting in the garage for probably close to a year now since that happened because I don't know what to do with it. It still looks new but just doesn't work? PURE JUNK!!! So frustrating.

The first one we had, the door fit so poorly we took it back to Lowe's. They looked at it and agreed it wouldn't work. Gave us a new one. Got it home and the inside drip panel wouldn't go in. Finally forced it into place, scraping the sides of the smoker. Have used it 8 times and today the part that holds the water tray fell off. The electronics seem to be ok, but the physical construction is not acceptable. I will just take this to my local recycling drop off, as I personally don't like things that are not right. I have smoked with charcoal for 30 years and thought this might be better. I was wrong. You get what you pay for. I have not owned this a year.

I bought an electric smoker model number 20071514 in October of 2015 and now after two or three uses the heating element has gone out. I don't think I will mess with trying to get another heating element after reading all the reviews on here because if I order another one it looks like it will just go out again so I won't buy any more junk from Masterbuilt unless they can get this situation resolved.

We have had our Masterbuilt approx. 3 yrs. After 2nd time using, the seal around the door leaked all the smoke out. We replaced the door. Then the drip pan fell off and the tray for the wood chips wouldn't go all the way in. Called Masterbuilt and they said there was nothing they could do because it was out of warranty. I wanted to smoke my turkey for Christmas and it wouldn't heat up. We have used this smoker less than 10 times. We have always kept it in the garage and cleaned it properly. We purchased it from Sam's Club and paid $300 for this unit and it is a piece of garbage. I found out that my brother-in-law and nephew recently purchased Masterbuilt smokers. I advised them to return the units before using it and after hearing about my unit they both returned the units. Definitely not worth the money. Very frustrating!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Extremely disappointed in Masterbuilt. I have a stainless steel digital smokehouse I purchased in 2007 from Cabelas, used it about ten times to smoke turkey, jerky and fish. Keep it clean and pristine and in my garage covered, looks like new. I purchased this model because I wanted something that would last me for many years. Works well when it works but it failed me this Christmas when I went to smoke some eel and venison. The unit beeps 5 times and the GFCI outlet keeps tripping after a few minutes of heating up.

I called customer service and was told that the heating element is bad and they don't make them anymore and there is no replacement option. I am told the unit is old and no longer viable. That's a crappy response from a Customer Service department. I paid $250 for this unit and it is in perfectly good shape but because they don't make the part anymore, I have no recourse to fix this? Masterbuilt touts it has over 60 thousand parts available, but that doesn't help me here. And they offer no recourse other than sorry you are SOL. I will be appealing to Masterbuilt CEOs as soon as I find their contact numbers and I will be sure my next replacement smoker is not a Masterbuilt and not an electric unit. Very disappointed.

I received my Master Built Smoker as a gift Christmas of 2015. I thought I had a very good product, but after reading all the reviews, I'm having the same problem as a lot of the people that's giving their reviews. My smoker worked great for about a year. Now when I plug it in, I don't have to do anything, temperature goes to 300 and stays there!! Now keep in mind, I just plug it in without turning unit on!!! I wanted to replace the digital control panel, but as I've read the reviews, that too will fail also!! The product was a gift so of course I don't have a receipt!!

The really big problem I have is, I cooked for several people when my unit was doing good, now my son and brother-in-law just received the same smoker for Christmas as gifts!!! I guess I'll have to break the bad news to them and tell them to fill out the Warranty paper and sent it in, or maybe try to get their money back before it's too late!!! So... Where do I go from here??? I'm I basically screwed, or can I get any help to get a new unit or a new control panel, which will fail in time!!! HELP!!!

My first Masterbuilt Electric Smoker lasted about 5 years and finally wore out. The heating element got fried because of moisture collecting on the element where it connects with the controller unit. I ordered the exact same 30 inch Masterbuilt Smoker model and it lasted for about 2 years. After plugging it in, it trips the switch at the plug after about a minute. I was thinking about ordering a new smoker from Masterbuilt but after all of the poor reviews, I decided against it. It's sad that the company put its name on crappy products.

I received a Masterbuilt Signature Series digital smoker model # 20071514 Serial # 1113 approximately a year ago and have only used it about 3 times and kept it in dry storage when wasn't in use. I took it out today and tried to use it and just like a lot of other reviews I've read I got no power. I tried different outlets and still no power to it. I am very disappointed with this. This is the first smoker I've ever had and now I don't if I got a lemon but I don't know if I'd buy another Masterbuilt after seeing a lot of the reviews about the problems with this. I loved my smoker but don't know what to do about and tried to find something online to troubleshoot the problem but nothing can be found. I am very disappointed with this and hopefully they can do something about this so I can change a negative experience to a positive experience and give a different review.

Bought 30-inch Masterbuilt Digital Smoker last year on Black Friday sale at Ace. Used it 3-4 times. Nice job. Smoking the turkey for Thanksgiving this year, went to turn up temp and the digital control shorted. Beeped. Took it off the unit, jiggled wires, checked the quick connects, reset, boom, shorts again. Needless to say did it 6 times, gently laid controller down and finished smoking. But now it won't turn on, just beeps and clicks and won't start, that is the controller. It is done for, being of digital build, not worth buying controller. Saw on here that replacement controller fails also. Don't buy this smoker due to controller.

I have chosen to review as per my experience. Bought 40" unit perhaps 3 years ago. Have successfully smoked at least ten times. Not more than 15. Have been satisfied with the results. However, aside from that. I once noted a very slight shock when touching the unit barefoot upon a use. Upon later use the unit would trip the GFI. Then not. Then... The last time the unit was used some months ago I received a shock when touching the unit. The GFI was repeatedly tripped. Removed the element cover plate. Found the wiring burned. Masterbuilt suggested element replacement. Given the cost and use of the unit replacement of the element is a bit much. Have considered buying a replacement thinking I may have purchased and used the lemon of the year unit. Given so many others with similar experiences, I realize I made a mistake.

Bought this smoker a year ago. Worked great first 2-3 times we used it. Now, here on thanksgiving I woke up early to get it going and of course it won't work. Same electrical issue being described by everyone else. Turns on, runs for a minute or two, shorts out and turns off. Unreliable piece of junk. Will never buy a crapster-built product again, and I mean that. Reading all these reviews, it's the biggest con going.

Masterbuilt electric smoker is Garbage. I received smoker as a gift in 2014. Used it 4 times and element went out. Replaced element and it too went out after 3 smoking sessions. DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$ ON THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

Thank you for reaching out. We looking forward to getting this resolved quickly!

Purchased a Masterbuilt 40" Smoker two years ago and have only used it a handful of times. Kept the smoker stored in a clean, dry garage. Took it out today and our electric GFI kept tripping every time I tried setting the temperature and time. It's unsatisfactory that a higher priced smoker would break so easily after a few years. Would be nice to have a Masterbuilt rep contact me in order to discuss further.

Received as a gift (another of my wife's QVC bargains). After literally hours of unpacking and assembly I was looking forward to my first cooking experience. Smoker started one time and got warm, not hot, but warm. It hasn't worked since. After calling and waiting on hold for a goodly period of time and starting the machine with the troubleshooter a replacement burner was sent and installed with another 90 minutes of repair. Result: really nice cabinet. The timer works really well. Smoker, it ain't! Has yet to rise beyond the outside temperature. If it would just get colder we could store soda pop in it. What a piece of junk!

I got one as a Christmas gift. I loved it for the first three smoker events but by the fourth use it was hard to turn on (it kept turning itself off after a couple of minutes). By the fifth event I couldn't get it to turn on. I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased it. I did not keep the receipt but bought it at Ace Hardware.

I have a 40 inch Model 20076515 Masterbuilt Smoker. I've had less than a year, and the control panel face popped off and blew away. Now I don't know what the buttons' functions are. It's been covered and well cared for, and this should not have happened, especially after using the smoker a few times. I would like to get a control panel cover for the buttons, but they don't make one. You apparently have to buy the whole control panel for $100.00! The whole machine isn't much more than that! I just want it up and running again. Other than the panel cover, it's worked well.

I bought my master built electric smoker September 3, 2016. It worked great for two smoking. Started the 3rd smoke session October 22, 2016. It worked for 30 minutes, then it stop heating. What a mess. It only lasted for one month and a few days. After reading all these reviews I will ask for my money back.

We were very excited to buy this smoker when it was on sale on QVC in March 2015. We used it maybe two or three times before it started repeatedly shutting on and off while making a weird beeping noise. We called customer service, and they sent us a new control panel to fix the issue. We used it a couple more times with no problems and saved it indoors for the winter. We maybe only used it a couple of times this year, and of course on Labor Day, the smoker is having the same problem.

After waiting over 30 minutes on the phone to speak to somebody, I decide to email the company seeing as no one responded to the voicemail they say you can leave them. Now I am being offered a new body kit for $100 plus shipping, because my warranty expired. Waiting to hear back if there will be any kind of warranty with this new kit if I decide to purchase it. But after reading all these reviews, I'm really not sure if I should chance spending at least another $100 on this brand. It's upsetting to make this decision when I've already spent over $250 on a product that I thought was worth it. It's also a shame because when the machine does work, the food comes out incredible. It gets an extra star for that.

I have a Masterbuilt smoker model 20071814 that works great when working properly. However, over half the time the unit will shut off randomly or never turn on. The control on this unit has temp setting and time setting on it and frequently is inoperative. I received this as a gift so I didn't have a receipt and used it no more than twice before the issue started. I contacted the company 5 times and they never got back to me. Given that it's only worked a few times it's essentially cost $50- $100 for each successful smoke I've got out of it. I understand that certain items are bad out of the box but I do not understand how a supposedly reputable company does such a poor job supporting their product.

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker model 20070910 - I purchased this unit about 2 years ago. I kept it in the garage and only brought it out when using it. I never used an extension chord. I probably used this smoker about 10 times. The last time I tried using it, the system kept shorting out the GFI outlet. I tried a different outlet with the same problem. Parts are not available. This should not happen to a unit that cost as much as it did and was well maintained.

I originally purchased by Masterbuilt Smoker Model # 200472612 in March 2015 and just after the warranty period the smoker would start to heat up then shut off. I paid over $100 to replace the electronic control on the front of the smoker. Now it is doing the same thing after only using it 3 times. When the smoker works it does a great job but I can't afford to keep throwing $100 out for a part to keep it running. Not satisfied at all with this smoker.

Bought a Masterbuilt (20070910) electric smoker about 1.5 years ago, used it sparingly. It worked well when it worked. I tried to use it recently and it keeps tripping my GFCI. I can't find the replacement part. Not sure what I would do if I found the part. In my mind this item should last a long time. I am looking for a replacement now. Masterbuilt is off the table.

30in Digital Electric Smoker. I too wish I'd have read the reviews prior to purchasing a Masterbuilt Smoker. While I have owned it for awhile I have used this smoker less than 10 times and it no longer produces smoke. Better off spending a little more to buy a higher quality unit.

Masterbuilt 30 Smoker model 20079015 - Bought the smoker on May 31, 2016. Used it for the 4th time on August 29. Started just fine and ran for about an hour then started beeping and error code F showed up. Unplugged it several times for up to 3 hours and it never restarted. Funny that it died on the 89th day of ownership. Wished I'd have found these reviews before I bought it. Daughter has one she's real happy with so she's got one out of thousands that work. Bought 2 yr replacement plan from Lowe's so I hope they'll refund my money. If not I'll end up with another piece of junk that quits after 3 uses, stored in my house and only outside on a covered concrete patio for use.

I wish I had read these reviews before I bought mine. I have the same problem as most have described. Control panel (can't read the numbers to see what the heat is set on). Plus heat not coming up to set temperature. Have had only eight months. I guess that's why they only warranty them for 90 days. Piece of junk. Bought mine from Lowe's Home Improvement. Going to let them know the about the junk they are selling.

I purchased a new Masterbuilt Model 20070311 40 inch electric smoker from a second-hand store. First mistake. It was new and had all the parts, store employee told me he had tested it and it worked. Second mistake, I believed him. Anyway, I get this shiny new smoker home and plug it in and set the controls to season it per the manual. After 5 minutes it clicks off, starts beeping with an error message EAA1. Call company, explain problem. Put me on hold for 5 minutes. Ask me for serial number which is impossible to read, it is so poorly stamped. They sent me a new controller. Installed it. Set temp and time. No kidding, 5 minutes later it starts beeping again and the display shows temp at 37F and the same EAA1 error code. I figure it's the thermostat? Maybe. Has anyone ever had this problem and fixed it. If I didn't live in California but in Georgia I would just dump this piece of junk in Masterbuilt's parking lot.

This smoker is a piece of **, don't buy it. It will ruin your smoking experience. Period. As an experienced smoker, KCBS certified judge and competitor; I promise you if you buy this piece of junk you will never want to smoke again. There is no consistent way to control temperature or airflow. Whoever designed this piece of ** was a **. I promise you if you buy, and try to use this product, you have just wasted your hard earned money. Just so you know, I used it several times in different weather scenarios and no matter what the testing circumstances, it did not perform to specifications. Don't waste your money ever!!!

Thank you for your review, we will be happy to help you in regards to the issue your experiencing. If you would leave a good contact number I will gladly reach out to you to help resolve this issue. Please have model and serial number available at time of call.

Tiffany

Electric Smoker 20070910 - Bought the smoker from Amazon 2 years ago. It worked great for the first summer. Then it started working intermittently. It will heat up and sometimes will maintain its temp but sometimes the temp starts going down and will not heat back up until I unplug it and replug it a few times. Today I put a rack of ribs on, temp set at 250. After about an hour I noticed the temp going down. It hit 170 before I could get it to start heating again. We thought the heating element was going out so we purchased a new one and replaced it but it still does the same thing. :(

Tiffany

Masterbuillt 30" electric smoker - Junk. This smoker was a gift 3 years ago. $199. Lots of fun with it until now. Didn't last. The coil/electric thermostat trips gfci every time. Removed both, cleaned them, dried, then connected them together out of smoker... Gfci tripped. Authentic replacement parts (Masterbuilt no longer makes these parts) over $100. Buying propane smoker soon. In trash dump now.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Profile