Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Masterbuilt Smokehouses

1.6/5 (471 ratings)

About Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I had a problem with a new Gravity Series 800 Smoker/Grill and customer service emailed me to ask what time to call and then did. They sent me replacement parts and did so happily. Very Happy with the service and the Grill quality.

Jody,

Thank you for your smoking review! We are very happy to hear you are satisfied. :)

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I hope you never, ever need service on this product. I had a Masterbuilt 20070311, and it was a generally good experience. Over 10 years of use a couple times a year, some parts deteriorated from age and use. It finally failed in September 2022, I decided to replace it with a similar model and bought the MB20070421. I can't begin to express my frustration with this product and the service around it. It was purchased Sep 22, 2022. First used a few weeks later with no problem. Again for a Thanksgiving turkey. On December 9 it was loaded with 6 large fillets of salmon and steelhead for a company Christmas party (close to $100 of fish). All started as usual, checking the chip level every 30-45 minutes. At about the 2 hour mark I went to check the chips and find the unit cold. It was 40F that day and the smoker was at 45F and falling.

This 3-month old unit had instructions all through the manual to call (telephone) the company, so I did. The recording that answered basically said: "Use our website", then hung up. Website gives a "robo-chatbot" (not artificial intelligence, but just artificial). It asked a few questions and I did finally "text chat" to a person briefly, who told me they'd send me a new heating element. I have no idea why they decided it was the heating element.

In my mind it could have also been a thermostat or control module. No discussion, no human contact, no "sorry this happened with your new smoker." And no expectation of delivery time. I emailed back to ask about delivery and they said it could be up to 6 weeks. The only good news in this story is that it actually arrived about 8 days later. But needless to say I lost the fish (almost half the cost of the smoker) and disappointed a lot of people.

The new part arrived. It had an instruction sheet that did not match my smoker, which was annoying. But the parts looked identical, and I was able to change it with only minor frustration. I plugged it in, ran it a few minutes and it heated! Today I have another load of fish in the smoker. Guess what - same problem as I had Dec 9 - it heated and smoked for about 45 minutes, and when I went out at about an hour to check the chips... it was cold. I'm starting the so-called-warranty process again. I have no idea what will happen as I'm promised that someone will get back to me in 3-5 business days. At this point I have lost as much cost in food (let alone disappointment to family and friends), that I could have bought 2nd new smoker.

By the way, I registered my smoker on their website when purchased. I uploaded my purchase receipt at that time as well. When I contacted them Dec 9, they required me to upload a photo of the unit, the serial number, and the purchase receipt. I asked why they could not get this from my registration, but got no answer. I expect that I'll have to dig our that receipt again in 3-5 days to get this second warranty request processed.

I really expected better after my first Masterbuilt experience. I understand that problems do occur, but the post-sales support is less than junior league. It's Keystone Kops. 5 minutes on the phone and a more caring person on their keyboard might have solved the real problem and saved me a 2nd failure on this brand new unit. Their website even makes it hard to find and initiate a service issue. Normally I'd contact the company and give them a chance to respond and work with me privately. But there is no way I can see to do that. I can only submit issues if I upload a photograph of the problem. This is not the company I talked to 10 years ago.

Allan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We truly apologize for the troubles and frustration this has caused. We will be sending over a private message shortly to gather a bit more information, as we do want to turn this into a positive experience.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I purchased the gravity series 800 series mid September through the Masterbuilt website and received it Oct. 10. The main body and lid had some pretty obvious dents in them where there was no way I could accept that for the amount of money I paid. After a few back and forth emails of needing to verify all this information that I did indeed buy the product, I was told a replacement body/lid would be arriving in the upcoming weeks. 2 weeks later I sent an email to verify it was on its way and then I was told the order is still being processed. Really? It hasn’t even been sent out yet?

Here I am November 2 with no tracking number for anything being sent out to me yet. Is it really going to take 2 total months from buying a grill to actually grilling? Oh, and if you ask for some sort of a discount for the inconvenience of this whole process which includes time, and having to store all the extra parts for the grill, and disposal of the heavy, bulky, damaged product that came in you are going to get told that that’s not in the contract. I did receive a couple “I’m truly sorries” though. It shames me to think I supported a business that doesn’t have an urgency to correct its wrong.

Benjamin,

We are very sorry to hear you have experienced a shipping delay and would be happy to look into this for you. We will be sending over a private message to gather more information.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

Purchased this unit in May/22. Lasted less than 5 months and the electronics crapped out. Tried to call for customer support and there are NO humans for support. Customers have to deal with bots that inform us we Must be electrical engineers with extensive testing equipment to track down the faulty components on our own.

Leonardo,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very sorry to hear you are not satisfied, and would love to look into this. Please look for our private message so we are able to assist.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I purchased this grill, I absolutely love the way it performs. After 2 uses, the display started to malfunction. I could not read the display. Luckily the app would still communicate with the controller. Customer service has no phone number, no one you can talk to. You have to email and wait 2 or 3 days just to get a response. After several emails and days, and multiple possible solutions by the warranty department, they decided to send me a new controller. It took 2 weeks to receive the display. We are now 3 weeks into a warranty issue.

They sent me a controller for the 800 series grill. Now I am back to square one with trying to get the correct controller. It takes days to communicate with their staff. I recommend returning the grill to the store if you have issues. I am not knocking the grill itself. I love the grill. I enjoy using it. The temperature control is almost perfect. Customer Service is despicable!!!!

James,

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you were not satisfied. We are sending a private message to gather more information so we are able to look into this.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Temp probe never worked, but I went old school and never tried to reach support. Then control panel cover came off, no evidence of cause. I have and use a cover for the smoker. I just found the control panel cover on deck by the smoker one day. About a month later the smoker stopped working entirely in the middle of a 16lb brisket. Impossible to find replacement parts for this unit on the website. Without an image of your original receipt you cannot open a ticket online. I was able to open one in the mobile app (for the non working temp probe). Am told to expect response within 5 business days. Currently am midway through day 4. Purchased in April 2021. Steer clear of this vendor.

Dan,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sending you a private message so we are able to assist.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker through Walmart.com not quite 2 years ago. We had been happy with its performance until recently. The control panel is on and the temperature shows 93. Unfortunately, I can't adjust it. I looked at the manual and it said to call customer service at 800-489-1581, but all you get there is a message telling you that all issues are handled online and would be responded to in 24 hours. So I went to the Masterbuilt website. They have a "chat" option but it's all automated, pre-ordained questions. My issue was a bit different than the options given. So I submitted a claim through their website following their instructions. I received an email back with a claim number telling me they would respond within 5 days, (different than what the phone message says). It's now been 7 days, and despite 2 followups, I've still heard NOTHING! I'd like to know if it's fixable (within reason) or if I need to move on, but all I get is CRICKETS.

Doug,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very sorry to hear you have not been provided with an update. We are sending over a private message so we are able to assist!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I purchased a brand new smoker on August 8th and have used it twice. The first run-in and use went well. The temperature was controlled well to a degree or two for 10 to 12 hours. Adjusting the time and temperature through the stall worked well and was uneventful. On the second use, the smoker came up to temperature quickly, but after half an hour, the temperature button would only turn the power off instead of allowing us to adjust the temperature and the unit wouldn't run. We would turn on power, press the temperature button and the unit would go dark. Turning on the power and setting the time worked fine but then pressing the temperature button would turn the unit off. We tried unplugging the power and reconnecting to perhaps "reset" but it still didn't allow us to set the temperature.

I’ve gone back to take pictures that are required for the Masterbuilt “Contact Us” page for In-Warranty issues and the unit will not turn on at all. I checked the circuit breaker and tried a different indoor outlet that I had just used and both are fine, but the smoker will not start.

Robert,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sending over a private message to gather a bit more information so we are able to assist.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I purchased a Masterbuilt Gravity 560 smoker & grill around 7-8 months ago max.. I will be %100 honest, I've had many many issues with this product but even then I was still in love with it up until when I realized how bad of a customer service these guys have. My orders have been delayed and some have never arrived even which I did not care but they did the same thing with my warranty parts and waited until the LAST 14th day to ship the parts.

Oh I said warranty parts even though my grill is a bit older than half a year:) Do you know why? Because these grills start falling apart on the 1st or 2nd time you use.. Believe it or not, I started seeing issues on my 2nd time grilling and those issues never ended!!!! I am still struggling with a leaking oil from the bottom issue, almost all door/lid sensors already failed, the rotisserie motor I purchased also stopped working on the 3rd time I use. I am filing a small claims case today in CA to get my money back and get rid of this BBQ. I loved this BBQ and would face all the issues if there was a just a bit support from the customer service BUT customer service is falling apart as well, worse than their product. So, long story short, stay away from this brand!!!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very sorry to hear you are not satisfied. You will receive a private message requesting further information so we are able to assist.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Purchased this smoker as a Christmas present for my father and I am very regretful I didn’t spend the extra money and buy something from a reputable company. First time using it was in the spring, temperature was about 15c here in Canada so I had low expectations of it reaching the desired temp. It did ok for a couple hours until the evening when it started to get cool out, so I unplugged it and put it away until summertime.

I just broke it out today to smoke some beef cheeks, beautiful sunny afternoon 28c weather, smoker did ok for about an hour and then I noticed it drop down to 170f (temp was set to the max, 275f). I played around with the thing for a half hour, unplugging it and plugging it back in, took the digital control off to see if anything was shorted, I did notice moisture in the control box but everything else looked ok.

I was at a standstill, I figured I’d plug it back in and if it maintained 170f I would just have to work with what I’ve got….but then again 20 minutes later the temp was reading 300f but nothing was working, opened the door and it’s the same as the ambient temperature outside. So here I am with a $300 boat anchor that I didn’t even get to use for one full smoke. After reading deeper into this company it’s nothing but problems as a result of cheaply sourced parts. Stay away from this company and buy a good quality charcoal smoker, it’ll save you the headache from this cheap junk.

Hello Cody,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We do apologize for the inconveniences this has caused. We would like to gather a bit more information to begin your claim. We will be sending over a private message for further assistance.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information