1.58/5

Last updated: April 18, 2018

233 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2018

I was given a 30” Sportsman Elite smoker for my birthday late 2016. Of course now it’s out of warranty. At first temps would shoot up or go low resulting in a very bad experience with meat (sometimes burnt sometimes undercooked). Now the control pad registers 240 degrees even when it’s first turned on and the door is open! The up/down buttons seem to have a mind of their own. Sad since I didn’t use this many times. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this unit?

Dear Cecilee,
I would be happy to work with you on this issue and find a resolution for you so you can continue to enjoy your smoker! Please send me a private response through here with your model and serial number and contact information and I can get started! I look forward to hearing from you!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2018

Purchased the smoker a week ago. Used it once. Smoked a pork shoulder at 235 degrees for nine hours. The smoker did a good job. Was moving it around in the garage an hour ago, and lo and behold... I discovered the paint is peeling off the area of the main smoker box around where it contacts the door seal. Just noticed the warranty SPECIFICALLY doesn't cover paint peeling. I guess they already know this is a problem. I wish I had seen this little disclaimer before purchasing. I would have purchased a different brand. Again, less than two weeks old. One use. Sad.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We are sorry to hear this has occurred and would be happy to help you with the necessary parts for your smoker so you can continue to enjoy it. Please give us a call @ 1-800-489-1581. You're also welcome to send me a private response here on this site and I can work with you to resolve this issue for you.

Customer Support Specialist

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought this smoker about 10 months ago and it lasted about 4 times cooking, after emailing the company and no response for 3 or 4 days. I called Masterbulit, diagnosed the problem and got parts only to be wrong diagnosis. Sent another part and seems to be working, not sure at this point though, my problem is. Who wants to work on these things? I bought to cook on, it takes two people to put parts on. Congratulations to the people who have no problems with their purchase. Very nasty job replacing these parts. I would NEVER buy another product from this company, nice customer service, and they will send all the cheap parts you want, but you have to be the mechanic.

Dear Tim,
We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that the issue with your smoker is resolved and you're able to continue using and enjoying your smoker from here on out. Thank you for being a Masterbuilt Customer!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Bought a competition brisket for a special event this weekend and started smoking Friday night. Just 3 hours in the smoker temp shot to 300 and is stuck there, even though the inside temp is already back down to 75 degrees. It is just the third time I have used my Masterbuilt 30 Electric Smoker that I purchased from Academy Sports + Outdoors. What a downer!!!!

Dear Russ,
We are sorry to hear this has happened. This is a quick and simple fix and I would be glad to assist you with it! Please feel free to send me a private message on here and I will get you started with this replacement part order!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I bought my Masterbuilt smoker and right out of the box the control panel did not work. I will say that they sent a new control box, but I still had to put a digital thermometer inside to manage the heat inside. Seems the readout is off about 10 degrees. I was very happy with its cooking performance, and after only 15 uses (yes I counted)... I go to smoke a turkey only to go out to check on it and it's cut off. Temperature was down to 91 degrees (by my digital remote thermometer)... I cut it back on and it won't heat up... all the control, lights work but NO HEAT... I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I hate I spent all the money on the product to have nothing but problems, when I called the hotline I was on hold for 46 minutes, then the line went dead and I was disconnected. Looks like the smoker will now be used as a storage box for wood... I purchased it from my place of work. Lowe's home improvement... I will not recommend this to my customers. I hope everyone that reads this does so before wasting their hard earned money. God Bless you all.

Dear Michael,
I would be happy to help you with this inconvenience and get your smoker working properly again! I am sorry for all the troubles you've had! I hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right with you! Please send me a private message and I would be happy to provide you with more information!

Customer Support Specialist

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a Masterbuilt Pro electric smoker several years ago. I was a beginner smoker and had a lot to learn. I only smoke a couple times a year but never really got good smoke in the smoker. I read tips online and figured that it was just my inexperience. I read an article online that said that Masterbuilt has a retro kit for my smoker. I called them on 4-10-2018 and was told that all lines were busy and that I could leave my number for a callback. I waited two days for my callback but it never came. I called on 4-12-18 and spoke to a very nice lady.

I was told that there was a retro kit for my smoker but that I would have to pay for the part and the shipping because I was out of the warranty date. I don’t feel that I should have to pay for a part on a smoker that was their design flaw. I offered to pay for the part if they covered the shipping. I again was told that I would have to pay for everything. Just don’t feel that this is entirely my fault that they sold a product that needed a retro kit to work properly.

Daryl,
We are sorry for any troubles you may have had in regards to this situation. We would be glad to help if at all possible. We do have a 1-year warranty on our units but I would be glad to assist you in this matter however I can. Please feel free to send me a private message with your information and unit details and I will see what can be done.
Sincerely

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

I bought your product & first time something goes wrong with it. Cannot get the parts to fix it. First & last time to purchase a Masterbuilt product. Spend that kind of money on something only to throw it away.

Dear Kenneth,
We apologize for any inconvenience and would like to help if possible! Have you called our Customer Service Department to see if parts are available for the issue you're having? We have most available and if not, we can try to help you find parts for discontinued items online as well. Please send me a private message if you'd like assistance with this!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 6, 2018

I bought a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker in December of 2017 with my Christmas bonus from Academy Sports and Outdoors in Mesquite, Texas. Today, on April 4, 2018 I have attempted to use my smoker for the third (3) time. I smoked a Turkey for Christmas and one brisket about 3 weeks ago but, now today the piece of crap continues to overheat even though I have the smoker thermostat set for 250. The smoker runs up to 300 degrees and then shuts off. I was trying to smoke a Boston Pork Butt. I guess I will have to finish cooking it in my oven. I am incredibly disappointed in my experience with this smoker. I'm not going to waste my time trying to go through Masterbuilt's customer service department because looking at other reviews they are apparently aware that they are selling an inferior product. I have stored and used this product correctly and have taken exceeding care not to hurt or damage my first and probably last Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.

Dear Michael,
I hope you will give us a chance to resolve this issue with your smoker so you can continue to enjoy it! I would be happy to work with you regarding this issue! Please feel free to reply with a private response if you would like assistance!

Masterbuilt Support Specialist

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought my dad a 40” Masterbuilt smoker a few years ago and now it’s not working. It doesn’t heat at all anymore. The panel says it’s heating but it doesn’t. He loved using it and is saddened by the fact that he can’t anymore. Is there anything you can do?

Hi Chelsea,
I'd be glad to help you with this! It sounds like it is just a simple element replacement. Please send me a private response and I can get started on this for you!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 30, 2018

Bought this Masterbuilt electric smoker 4 years ago and only used it few times (10). Went to smoke with it today and got error codes that won’t reset. Looked online and found this is a major problem with this smoker. Why wouldn’t Masterbuilt try to correct this. After seeing all the other people with the same problem and not getting help, and there are hundreds of them, I will be looking into different brand of smoker. I am retiring and plan on smoking meat all the time, I need a dependable product and this company can’t seem to put one out!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and would be happy to help resolve this issue with your smoker! Please send me a private response and I would be glad to start the process in troubleshooting and assisting you in this matter!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I bought a Masterbuilt electric digital smoker about 4 years ago and loved the performance and convenience, for about 6 months. It would start up and by the time I brought the food from the kitchen it had shut down and refuse to start up again. I stored it covered in a commercial metal building with a concrete floor fully protected. My son took a look at it and discovered a wiring problem. I was thrilled he was able to repair it, until it did the same thing. I really missed it and bought another, same problem. It's so upsetting to spend $$$ on a product that just does not hold up. Masterbuilt you should change your name, your smokers are obviously not built by a master!

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We are very sorry to hear you've had these issues and would be glad to help resolve the issue with your current smoker. Please give us a call! Our knowledgeable Customer Service Representatives are here to provide World-Class Customer Service for you! I would also be glad to help if you'd like to send a private response. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased the 42” electric window sportsman elite on 12/6/2017 and attempted to use it for only the 3rd time today 3/24/2018. It will not allow me to set the temperature. I’ve followed the directions and pressed the digital temp control once after startup but it will allow me to set a temp. The time control works fine. I’m extremely frustrated as this is only the 3rd use. Please point me in the right direction to get this resolved. I’m a member of the American Culinary Federation and don’t understand how Masterbuilt can charge a premium price for an item that clearly has electronic defects?

Lamar,
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would be more than happy to assist you with your smoker! Please give us a call @ 1-800-489-1581, or send a private response through here and I can also help. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: March 24, 2018

This model (20072415) is less than 9 months old. The last two times I wanted to use the unit the temperature gets too hot. On the digital readout it goes to over 800 degrees and there is no way to lower to temperature except to shut it off and on again. Brought the unit at The Home Depot. Very disappointed in the reliability of the unit. Serial unit bo091650.

Howard,
Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to assist you in resolving the issue with your smoker. You can call us @ 1-800-489-1581 or send a private response through this site and I would be glad to help as well! We look forward to hearing from you!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 24, 2018 30" mdl. 20072115 purchased in Feb. from Academy in Grapevine Texas. Smoker worked well for 4-5 uses then bluetooth became contrary to connect. Used several times without remote feature... then TEMP. became uncontrollable... TEMP would rise above 300F and not respond to control. I would have to turn it off completely and then resume... TEMP would rise back to setting and appear to be ok for a while THEN rise uncontrollably again until shut off! NO JOY IN THIS!

Academy says warranty is through MFG which I think is BS!

Dear Daryl,
We apologize for any inconvenience and would like to help you with your smoker! You have a 1-year warranty with us and we are here to stand behind our products and assist you! Please give us a call @ 1-800-489-1581 or send a private message and I would be glad to help!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased my Masterbuilt smoker from Academy Sports. I have used it a total of 3 times in the 2.5 years I've owned it. I absolutely love the way it cook(ed). The last time I used it was well over a year ago. I attempted to use it about 3 months ago and it kept tripping the breaker when it reached its set temp. I googled it up to troubleshoot only to learn that this was a ongoing issue. When I contacted Masterbullt customer service. I spoke with the customer service rep. As I begin to explain my issue and the parts I needed. The customer service rep corrected me and told me I did not need a control unit, but instead I needed an element. I advised him I don't think the element is going to fix my problem, but I'll try it.

The part arrived I installed it only to have the same problem. When I called back in January I was told the part I needed was on back order and to call back on Feb 28. On Feb 28 I called back and I was told to call back on March 14. To date I still do not have the parts I need. I love my smoker, but hate the customer service. I just want the part to fix it (free of charge) I'll do the labor. I want it before this one just dies of old age not being used. My case no. is **. Please help me. Model no 20070311.

Dear LeRoy,
I apologize for this experience and would be glad to help you in this matter. Please feel free to send me a private message with your name and case number and I will definitely look into it for you!

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: March 19, 2018

This cold smoker attachment is ok. But I’m very disappointed that it only comes with j hooks to mount it to your smoker. I recently found out that they make a mount for it to permanently affix it to the smoker and called about it and they want 50$! For this little piece of metal. My goodness. Seeing how you pay a arm and leg for the smoker and another 65 for the attachment and then they want to short you on the mount. Very disappointing. I was planning on upgrading smokers. Look like I’m going with a Pit Boss.

Updated on 03/19/2018: I wrote a bad review on the Masterbuilt cold smoker earlier today. Not knowing that anyone at Masterbuilt would see it. They contact me about what I was unhappy about and still try to sell me the part I need cheaper than originally. But that not the issue I simple want them to know that the part is vital to the operation and they still just want more money. After they get your money they want more.

Dear Jacob,
I am sorry to hear you are disappointed and would be glad to work with you to get this bracket that you need sent out to you. Please feel free to send me a private response and we can work together to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: March 11, 2018

I purchased this smoker (Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 40") from Bass Pro in early 2017 and for the first 9 months it worked flawlessly. All that soon went downhill fast, first the temperature probe went, I made a call and they were quick to send me another. Next the temp in the smoker started to rise on its own, and by rise I mean that I set the temp to 225 degrees and after about an hour the heating element kicks on and won't stop rising. One more call into Masterbuilt and they told me my product was out of warranty but they would sent me a new internal thermostat, that's was all well and good but when I purchased this unit it had a 1 year warranty.

Well they sent me a new thermostat and I installed it a few days ago and made the mistake of trying to smoke a $50 brisket without testing the smoker. After about three hours the temp in the smoker shot up to over 300 degrees, for how long I'm not sure. So I went through the ritual of shutting off the smoker when the temp goes thermonuclear, resetting the unit and starting the program process all over again. I have to do this about every two hours or the temperature will keep rising and to tell you the truth I'm not sure it would stop (I haven't had the desire to wait and see if this thing bursts into flames). So about 4 hours into the process of smoking my brisket I place another call into Masterbuilt, they tell me that the problem is not my smoker but the Masterbuilt app, and that there is nothing I can do to fix the problem.

My question is why in God's name would I buy a $500 Bluetooth electric smoker if I can't monitor the darn thing through Bluetooth?!?! This means I can't use the internal meat probe or any other feature I played for. I end up babysitting the thing like I have to with my propane smoker. (I have two Masterbuilt Smokers, one Propane and one electric and have had ZERO issues with the propane one in over 4 years). Needless to say my $50 brisket ended up a hockey puck and I'm stuck with a $500 fire hazard for a smoker. From my understanding my unit is a late 2015 model which I purchased in early 2017, so logic tells me it was in the store for over a year which doesn't surprise me when the retail price is $449.99 before tax. I understand the unit is out of warranty now but my issues started about 4 months while it was covered. How can you have such a dangerous problem with a product and say "sorry we have no fix for it"?

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience. Our Development Team is working on finalizing the update for your app which will correct this issue for you. We hope once that update is available, you'll be able to use the remote function with your Bluetooth device again without issue. In the meantime, if we can assist you further in any way, please feel free to send a private response and we would be happy to work with you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: March 10, 2018

My wife bought me the big electric Masterbuilt smoker. Don't remember the size, it was a Christmas present and I have only used it 3 times and it shuts off by itself. It does this quite a bit during the smoking process. I'm aggravated to say the least because I have to constantly check the smoker to make sure it's still on. I cant return it back to Sam's Club because they want the original packaging which no one keeps. I'm to the point now that I'm going to just throw this one out and find a different smoker from a different manufacturer.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. We do offer a 1-year warranty on your smoker and would be happy to assist you with getting it fixed as needed! Please feel free to send a private message to us through here or call us @ 800-489-1581 with your unit's model and serial number and we can get that process started for you! We look forward to hearing from you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: March 6, 2018

I bought a 30" digit smoker and it worked 1 time, now it doesn't produce any smoke no more. I called into customer support (good luck trying that as the first 60 times you usually get a busy signal before you even get into the main menu). The customer support admin there was telling me to loosen screws to adjust the height of the heating unit, which I tried without any change, then was asked to buy different woodchips which I did - no difference, then they had me put in 4 chips and hear up to 225, the chips slightly turned black but there was no smoke at all visible when opening the door.

The only way to get smoke is to crank it to 275 and leave it there. I measure the temperature with a thermostat and it reaches the temperature. The seller on Amazon doesn't take the unit back after 30 days and told me to contact the manufacturer. Masterbuilt doesn't return units and provides a new one for a defective unit. This is ridiculous that you buy a smoker for that money and can't get any help from anywhere. DO NOT BUY FROM MASTERBUILT!!!

Dear Roland,
We are very sorry regarding the phone issues. We had issues with our providers that prevented us from taking calls Mon & Tues. I would be happy to work with you on this issue if you'd like to send me a private message? We pride ourselves on being right behind our products and would love to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one!

Original review: March 5, 2018

Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker - We purchased this smoker back in Dec 2016 as a gift to my father-in-law and I just found out that he ended up purchasing a new Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite Smoker (Cheaper Model) due to the one we had purchased back around Christmas time of 2016 had stopped working and has something to do with the control box and it turning off every 3 or 4 mins. I asked him why he didn't call and replace it but he said for as much as it was going to cost to fix it there was no point especially since there are so many other issues he read about online about it. Very disappointed that we spent $300 on a smoker that he used maybe 10 times total.

Dear Courtney,
We are very sorry to hear this happened and want you to know that this is never what we strive for! I would be glad to assist you as needed if you're still needing that replacement control panel for the older unit. Just send me a private response and we can go from there! I hope you'll give us the option to make your Masterbuilt experience 100% positive!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I received a Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker for Christmas this year after wanting one for years. After one use it completely died... It was kept covered, turned off properly, wires are sealed, nothing at face value seems to be wrong with it but it won't even turn on! I wish I could give a good review of this product and company, but your money is better spent on something you can use more than once.

Dear Brett,
We sincerely apologize for this experience. We can help! If you would like assistance, please feel free to send me a private response and I would be happy to work with you to resolve this matter and make your Christmas gift what you expected it to be!

Masterbuilt Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt 40 Electric Smoker from Sam's Club. Used it twice and it worked great. Then after that all went downhill and it's been a battle to smoke since. Went to roll it out of garage and back panel completely separated. Then intermittent heating issues, not heating to temp, randomly shutting off, and overheating. After the 1st year it basically became a warming box. Customer service was zero help with Masterbuilt, "I could buy heating element", could return to Sam's, so spend more money or return. By the way Sam's wouldn't take back without all packaging and who keeps that? Took heating cover off and fixed the Chinese connections and it worked ok for a few times then again back to same crap.

Set to 225 and barely gets to 190 but like I said warning box. So me thinking I would be a nice volunteer for a local school and smoke pork shoulders to feed kids. Obviously you can't use a piece of crap to smoke good meat so I thought, "Hey I'll fire up my wood smoker, smoke during day, wrap meat, and put in the heating crap box, set on 260 to get it up to 225, and continue heat through the night." Good thing I checked it at 2am when I left dog out. Down to 86 degrees and back to same **; randomly shuts off, won't heat, heats then just stops, says heating but doesn't, and just wastes electric. So at 2 am I had to stoke the real deal to make it happen.

I can stoke and manually set my $199 wood smoker (12 years old) and what do you know I wake up at 6 am and go out and check old manual, falling apart, gem, and she's purring on 215 degrees. A little more fuel and as of 8 am still kicking right on 225 (internal and external temp gauges). The bottom line is that this electric mastercrap thing is the biggest $400 Lemon I have ever purchased and they should recall every one of them and send them back to China.

Dear Paul,
We are very sorry to hear your smoker is not working as expected. We definitely expect more from our smokers as well and would like the chance to assist you with your unit! If you would like to work toward a resolution, please send me a private response and I would be glad to assist you in this matter.

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker - I bought this gift for my husband for Christmas. He used it the first time and it works fine. Mind you we've had several of the Masterbuilt and we've loved them. However today is he's trying to cook his brisket it keeps shooting up to 300 degrees and then giving an error on the temperature. I'm very disappointed and now we have a very expensive brisket that's going to be ruined. After this only using this the second time this should not be an issue at all. I'm very disappointed and disgusted that I spent this much money on something that's not going to work.

Dear Tiffany,
Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience. Our Customer Service Team would be very happy to assist you in this matter! Please feel free to send me a private response and I would be happy to work with you to resolve this situation!

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I purchased a Masterbuilt 20071910 two years ago and have cooked on it twice. Well, I get it out this past weekend to cook, guess what, it doesn’t work! Now I’ve kept it covered in my storage room the whole time! Thinking it could be the element. I called Masterbuilt and ordered an element, and just in case I got two of them to have a backup. You guess it, still doesn’t work!!! I check the element with my electrical meter and I’m not getting voltage to the element! So I guess I’m stuck with a piece of junk!!! I will be purchasing a different brand in the near future!

Dear Tim,
We are very sorry for this inconvenience and would like to help! If you'd like to work with me to see if we can get your smoker working again, please send me a private response and I would be happy to look into things for you!

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Received 30" Masterbuilt digital smoker as a Christmas gift December 2016. Digital panel didn't work so Masterbuilt sent me a new one. Have used the smoker 8-10 times this past year without any issue. Always covered, always stored inside. When used, it's inside my shop. Went to smoke a brisket this weekend and same problem, digital panel chirps when plugged in but won't power up. An obvious quality issue with this smoker. Called Masterbuilt and was informed that the replacement panel was only warranted for 30 days and I would have to buy a new one. I don't think I should have to because there is an obvious issue with my smoker. Customer support stated she had the same smoker and never has had an issue.

Dear Ryan,
We are sorry you were misinformed and apologize for the troubles. Our warranty on your unit's control panel is for a full year and we would be happy to assist you with that replacement. If you would like to work with me, please send me a private response with your contact information and unit's information (model and serial number) and I would be glad to assist you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Purchased this 40" Digital Electrical Smoker in early Fall 2017, smoked a few things and none of them would come up to temperature. I thought I was doing something wrong. Tried to smoke ONE <2 lb cornish hen today for 6 hours with a temperature setting of 250 degrees, the internal temp of the meat only got to 140 degrees. The smoker itself only reached 220 degrees. I am very upset with this unit. What a waste of MY money! Going back to the old fashioned Brinkmann. I guess this one will go to the landfill!

Dear Gary,
We are very sorry to hear this! We can help, though! Please allow us the opportunity to assist you with your unit! You can reach us at 800-489-1581, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST. We look forward to speaking with you and getting your smoker working properly for you!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

So my Masterbuilt Smoker (30in gen 1) seems to be having some issues. I can't seem to get the meat probe to read properly as well as I don't think the burners burning near as hot as it needs to reach the internal temperatures of the meat that I'm smoking. I would like to know if there's a website or if there's a specific book of instructions that will help me troubleshoot the reason for my Masterbuilt.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for this issue you are experiencing and would like to help! If you would, please utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department, or call us @ 800-489-1581. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are here to assist!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My wife bought this smoker for me as a gift for Christmas of 2017. The first time I use it was flawless. I loved it and was hooked and started smoking every time I could. Then the controls just started shutting off every 20 or 30 minutes by themselves. Started reading reviews and was disappointed and feel as if my wife was suckered and purchased a piece of garbage. Save yourself and stay away from this brand altogether. Now that being said since it’s only 30 days old this company will send me a new controller that works and I can retract this review and write the one I first wanted to.

Dear Shawn,
We apologize for any inconvenience. Your unit does have a 1-year warranty with us and we would be happy to send you the controller you need. If you'd like, send a private message with your contact info and your unit's info and I would be happy to work with you to get that order placed!

Masterbuilt Customer Support Specialist

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I purchased the Masterbuilt MES 140S Digital Electric Smoker over a year ago, but have only used it maybe 15 times max. A couple of weeks ago I was pre-heating it and it wouldn't go any higher than 240 degrees. When I contacted Masterbuilt they were kind enough to send me a new element because they said that was what the problem was. After installing the new element and I tested it and now it wouldn't get any hotter than 150 degrees. So once again, I contacted Masterbuilt and this time they said it must be the control unit and sent me a new one of those. After installing the controller I went to test it again and now the element didn't heat at all. When I installed the element initially I didn't replace the connectors with the ones that came with the element because there wasn't any visible damage to them, but as a last resort I went ahead and replaced them to see if maybe that was the problem now.

It wasn't so I contacted Masterbuilt again as they instructed me to do if the problem wasn't fixed after installing the new control unit. Only this time they said there was nothing else that could be done and I would have to purchase a whole new unit. Seems to me that everyone in Customer "Service" didn't have a solution, they just kept throwing new parts at me to replace and once they ran out of user serviceable parts to send me they didn't know what else to do. I find it hard to believe that Masterbuilt is unaware that this has been an ongoing problem based on all of the posts I've read on numerous sites complaining about the same thing that's happened to me. Some of which go back several years.

You'd think they would try to fix the problem before selling anymore or, at the very least, recall the ones that are experiencing this problem. Seems to me that they just keep selling them hoping that they don't go out before the warranty does. Now I'm stuck with a cabinet that doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever. As far as buying a new unit is concerned, I will never purchase another Masterbuilt product and will recommend to all of my smoking/grilling buddies to do the same.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for any inconvenience. You are correct, there are only certain parts that are replaceable on a unit and then it is an issue of paying for a replacement body cabinet or replacing the unit entirely. There are several points to review with this type of issue and situation. We would suggest that you call in and request to speak to our Lead Supervisor to see if anything can be done to assist you further.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought the Masterbuilt Sporstman Elite Electric Smoker (Model: 20071414) this unit back in November 2016, the unit was working perfectly for the first year. Now, the unit is not staying on. It continuously turns itself off; leading to inconsistent cooking temperatures and ruined meats. I am extremely disappointed in the longevity of this product.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response
We apologize for any inconvenience. We can assist you with repairing your unit. Please utilize our online Support Form on our website @ www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department, or call us @ 800-489-1581. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are here to assist. We look forward to helping you.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information