1.75/5

313 Masterbuilt Smokehouses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

Preheated smoker to 225. Sportsman Elite, put my wings in, checked it an hour later and I’m at 112 degrees. Figures I have company coming over for a snack and watch some games... Very disappointed. Never purchase a Masterbuilt again! Just under a year old. Warranty might still be valid but, that does not help me today.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 22, 2019

I use my smoker. I loved it very much. Now after the temperature reaches up to temp it automatically blows the breaker. I am very disappointed. I think it's the limit thermostat. But I'm not sure I'm ready to use my smoker and I can't use it.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for providing your review, and I apologize about the inconvenience. We would like to talk to you regarding the situation you are experiencing with your smoker. Please provide your contact phone number and we will contact you at our earliest convenience, or you can contact our technical team directly at 800.489.1581 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 14, 2019

My husband and I purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker. We used it about a year and the heating element went out and we had to purchase a new one. (Not cheap). After purchasing the heating element we were in the middle of smoking ribs for a party and the smoker quit working again. We were so desperate at the time we went and bought another smoker to finish all of the ribs. We were in a small town so the only selection was to buy another Masterbuilt. We used the second one twice and now that smoker is not heating correctly. Do not ever purchase Masterbuilt products. They are junk! I would never recommend this brand to anyone. We have had the second smoker less than a year and it should be under manufacturer's warranty - what happens when it stops working again. Very dissatisfied.

Hello Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We are sorry to her that you are not satisfied with the products. If we can assist you with the smokers, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our technical team directly between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. We hope to hear from you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have had 2 of the 40” electric smokers. Both failed after 3-4 uses. The first one I bought I thought maybe I messed it up by the way I cleaned it so I dumped it and bought another one. This one I’ve had for a year. Cooked on it twice. This time when I tried to use it I could set the time and temperature and it would trip the gfi circuit. After a little troubleshooting I determined the heating element had failed again. I think that is what happened to the first one. The smoker was always covered and garaged kept. After contacting customer service I was told to purchase a heating element. Shouldn’t have to replace elements every 3-4 uses. When the smoker worked you can’t beat it. I cooked some of the best ribs ever with lots of compliments. I even bragged on the smoker. I left 2 stars because of the way it cooks when it did work.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hi Robert, we hate to hear that you have had trouble now with 2 of your smokers. There are many circumstances that could cause the element to trip your GFCI outlet. We do offer a 1-year manufacturers warranty, which is why the representative you spoke with informed you the element would need to be purchased.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I received this smoker about 18 months ago and have only used it a handful of times. When not in use I keep it covered, clean and dry. Now some of the lights in the digital number display are out and we can no longer tell what time and temperature we are trying to program. I am wondering if Masterbuilt will stand by their product or if I have to trash this one and find another, more reliable smoker?

Hello Kori,

If you would, please call us or utilize our online Support Form on our website to submit a request to the Customer Support Department. We are available Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST. If there is an issue with your unit, we are happy to assist you. We look forward to helping you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My girlfriend gave me this electric smoker for a present approx 20 months ago, and after functioning fine for about 16 months, the heating element simply stopped working. Since it was six months out of warranty, I was given no help whatsoever. I would totally avoid this product and, given their lack of customer support, would suggest avoiding the company altogether. Totally a failure.

Hello Charles,

Thank you for sharing your experience. If we can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact us for warranty items, replacement parts, troubleshooting assistance, and helpful tips. Our hours of operations are Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm EST

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I purchased the smoker in 2013. The last time I used the smoker it shut down and stopped working. I started to remove the heating element and the wiring fell apart in my hand. I called the support line and was told that it was out of warranty. The unit was sealed and no rust was present. Hard to believe the wiring and connections would fall apart in my hand. Would not recommend this smoker to anyone, very poor experience with product quality.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hi Chris, there could be numerous reasons as to why the connections degraded over time. Unfortunately, I do not know of your specific circumstances to better determine the cause. However, we do offer replacement element kits that come with a new heating element and wire pigtails that is easy to replace and will have your unit back up and running. I looked in our system and the replacement element for your unit is $9.99 + S&H.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We have had our smoker for about 2 years. From the beginning, the time button on the controller was very difficult to make contact. We used it once that year and when we tried to use it again, the time button would not work at all. A call to the company for support got us another controller, but not under warranty. We used it one more time and now it will not work again. The controller is unresponsive once again. This is very aggravating, to say the least.

Hello Sid,

We apologize for the experience you've had. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our technical team directly between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. You can also utilize our online Support Form on our website to submit a request to the Customer Support Department.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I purchased my smoker. Less than 1 1/2 years it failed, I was truly disappointed they would not stand behind their product. They told me the heating element need to be replaced. $14.99 plus shipping, of course they weren't going to send me one as a courtesy to stand behind their product. But more so the hassle of having to fix a fairly new unit that had only been used about a half a dozen times. I would strongly recommend to purchase another brand.

Hello Kathy,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We stand behind our products with a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. If you still need assistance or would like to purchase the part your need, please contact us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Updated on 03/03/2019: This is my second review of Masterbuilt because my other “appears” to be working toward a resolution. I sent them the information they requested and they told me they were reviewing the information and that was the beginning of February. I have not heard from them since. I sent emails to Alma (my latest customer service rep), Kelly ** (representative I spoke with and emailed in December) and Summer ** (the first representative I contacted in the fall of 2018) and have not gotten a single reply. At this point I wish they would send me a box to return the smoker and refund our $600. We will not ever buy another smoker or grilling Masterbuilt product.

Original Review: Masterbuilt appears to have helpful customer service when you call and speak to someone, but after that you might as well have not wasted your time calling or emailing them. We bought a smoker spring of 2018 and have used it three or four times because the pellet box caught on fire the night before our son's birthday party when my husband was smoking three racks of ribs and a Boston butt. I called in the fall of 2018 (I tried calling a few times, but they were always closed when I remembered to call) about the faulty parts. I spoke with someone and she seemed very knowledgeable and helpful and then nothing. She was supposed to ship our replacement parts and about six weeks later I had to call and asked about the parts and then a week later I got a shipment confirmation.

Needless to say the replacement parts they shipped did not fix the problem and once my husband changed out the parts the smoker still throws a breaker and the feeder mechanism doesn’t work properly. I sent Ms. ** information about this on December 20, 2018 and we still have not received any replacement parts and it’s January 30, 2019. We basically made roughly a $400 donation to Masterbuilt and Academy Sports. My recommendation is to buy any other brand of smoker or don’t waste your money because if you buy a Masterbuilt you won’t be able to use it and it will take up space while you wait on customer service to follow through with what they said they would do. I’m sure they are dragging their feet so our unit’s warranty expires.

Hello Danielle,

thank you for providing your review, and we apologize about the inconvenience. We are happy to look into your case and we what can be done to help you. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # , serial # and case or order information. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

This is my second Masterbuilt product as the first one worked for about a year and then started tripping the breaker. Called the company and they couldn't tell me what the problem was and wanted to sell me both the controller unit and the heating element, which by the way is the only two things that could go wrong. We had out of town guest coming so I bought another unit (didn't have much choice and no time to shop) and it has worked about a year and today it keeps shutting off. I'm done with Masterbuilt. As someone else noted, I would give them zero stars if it would let me.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for providing your review, and we apologize about the inconvenience. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a private message with your contact information, both of your smoker’s model # and serial #. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

13 months after the purchase of my electric smoker, it blows the fuse every time that I plug it in. I reached out to Customer Service and they told me that they were aware of the issue but that since it was after 12 months they were no longer responsible for fixing it. The 'recommended part' for the fix - which is an entire new Body Kit - was more than I paid for the whole unit! Masterbuilt Customer Service Response: "Generally, if the smoker is tripping the breaker after the temperature and time are set and the heating light comes on, the element needs to be replaced. If it is doing it as soon as plugged in, it may be an internal wiring issue which means the body of the smoker would need to be replaced." A replacement Element Kit, P/N 9907090033, is $14.99 or if needed a Body Kit, P/N 9907100012, is $179.99 before shipping.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you for taking time to share this, we are very sorry this was your experience. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you with your unit by sending us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I bought my Masterbuilt Model #20071814 in December 2016. It has been used approximately 12-15 times, has been kept in a garage, covered and has never gotten wet. In short, it has been well taken care of. Just before Christmas, I planned to smoke a bunch of chicken thighs for a family get together. Unfortunately, my smoker would not even turn on the day we were supposed to get together. It would beep when I plugged it in but no lights would come on on the control panel. I pulled the panel off to see if it was getting power and it is. So obviously, the panel has gone bad. How does something used so few times and taken care of go bad?

Apparently this is a widespread problem with MB and all they do is send out canned responses. I sent 2 emails and FINALLY got some crappy response about calling customer service. Great, way to help. I finally spoke to someone who said I PROBABLY need to order a replacement control panel for $30. I'll do so BUT, I can guarantee you that I have bought my LAST Masterbuilt ANYTHING. The next time this one dies it will be ANYTHING BUT a Masterbuilt.

Hello W,

We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience with us. If you are willing to, please send us a private message with your information and smoker's model # and serial #. We would like to speak with regarding your experience. Masterbuilt prides itself deeply on our customer service and doing what is right by our customers. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Brand new out of the box the smoker would not work. The display would just show an error code EAA1 fault code, I had it in my garage where you would normally smoke and it was roughly 33 degrees here in Idaho Falls Idaho, I read online that it was a temperature sensor issue so I brought the smoker inside. I opened the door of the smoker inside my house so the temperature sensor could warm up as soon as it warmed up to 34 degrees that error code cleared and the smoker control panel started responding the fault code went away.

This product seems to have an engineering design flaw that does not allow the smoker to operate if the temperature sensor is less than 33 degrees inside. Some Forum said to use a blow dryer on the temperature sensor to warm it up and then immediately start your smoker. Should not have to do any of this on a brand new product. We have many days that are less than 33 degrees in Idaho. The Smokers basically no good in my state, luckily the smokers never been used, Sportsman's Warehouse said they will take it back and get my money back. It's brand new with this flaw. I suspect I'm not the only one that thought the control panel is bad when really is the temperature sensor in the engineering in the electronics of the control panel.

Hello David,

We apologize for the delay and the trouble you are having with your smoker. If the smoker is still in your possession and you still need assistance with it, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. We would be happy to work with you and make this situation right. Masterbuilt prides itself deeply on our customer service and doing what is right by our customers. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This is an electric grill. I like it because it's easy to get going, easy to clean, and saves time in setup and cleanup. It has a grease catcher which is easily accessible. Cleanup involves removing the grill, and optionally the metal reflector panel if it has gotten especially dirty. Great for a small home and just two users.

Hello Mark,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your Masterbuilt electric grill. We are glad that you found out the grill is easy to get going, easy to clean and it saved you time. We appreciate having you as our customer and invite you to take a look at the recipes on our website at www.masterbuilt.com.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Do not buy this product!!! We received it for a Christmas present in 2016. We've used it maybe 10-15 times max AND we keep it covered when not in use under a covered patio!!! The heating element has gone out twice, my husband was able to clean the connections the first time and it worked. This time around didn't help. Called them and explained our problem, they will not send me a free element. It is 14.99$ plus shipping. Seems to me, being that it's barely used, it should last more than 1 1/2 yrs... I will be buying a Traeger!!! Very disappointed in Masterbuilt... My ribs are now in the oven as I write this!!!

Hello Allen,

We apologize for the delay in addressing your review and your experience. If you still have your smoker, we hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. Please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. We can review your situation and provide any parts, troubleshooting assistance and helpful tips necessary. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I would give them zero stars if I could. Worst customer service ever. They shipped my order to the wrong address and then tried to tell me it was my fault because I didn't tell customer service my order was an online order and online order are handled separately. She acted like I was suppose to know that they have 2 separate departments that don't interact. AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Hello Ashley,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your review. We are also very sorry to hear about for your experience. If you still need assistance with your order, please let us know. Masterbuilt prides itself deeply on our customer service and doing what is right by our customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I am very disappointed in this product. We just bought this smoker and put it up. My husband did just as the instructions said. Did the first cooking session. That part went fine. He got his meat all ready to smoke and went to start it up and it tripped the circuit. Of course he tried it several times. He also tried plugging in different outlets with same results. Very unhappy, this was not a cheap purchase at all!!! I don’t feel you should have to work on a product that is brand new. I feel it should be replaced!!!

Hello Tammy,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your review. We are that the smoker has disappointed you and would like to assist you its operation. If you have not exchanged or returned the smoker to the retailer, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We bought this 6 weeks ago. Have used it once a week with success. Yesterday we noticed a horrible smell of burnt plastic about an hour after putting in a small turkey. Within an hour, it lost power and would not turn back on. Door seal is melted and burnt. I am going back to a charcoal smoker after this $200 mistake. We loved it in the beginning, but I would expect problems in the years ahead, not within weeks of purchase.

Hello Anne,

We apologize for the delay and the trouble you are having with your smoker. If the smoker is still in your possession and you still need assistance with it, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. We are happy to work with you and your smoker. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I received this smoker as a Christmas present 8 years ago. We live in Northern Wisconsin so in winter I didn’t want to have to deal with proper temp control with a coal or wood fueled smoker. I have used mine about 8 times a year doing brisket, ribs or fish. I use it summer and winter and have never had an issue with it. Maybe the newer ones are not built like the older ones but I love mine.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I got this smoker as a gift since I was hoping to get into smoking meats. Unpacked it, set it up and began seasoning it. And then I noticed a broken thermometer straight out of the box. Very disappointing! I sent a message to MB and I guess I'll wait to hear back on a new one. Had to cancel my first Ever attempt. After reading reviews you may be better off with a different brand.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. We apologize for the delay in responding to your review. If your warranty replacement part has not been replaced yet, please send us a private message with your contact information, shipping address, model # and serial #. We hope we have not missed the opportunity to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Bought this smoker. I'm having same problem as a whole bunch of people with the Control Panel. It beeps, it shuts itself off, have to unplug it. You set the temp then go to set time and it just quits, then plug it in and it won't stop beeping. I have used it about 7 times in the last 20 months and have ruined more than one batch of fish. But for some stupid reason I keep on trying only to get more frustrated. Masterbuilt obviously has a problem with their controllers. I don't want to buy a new controller only to have it fail. I'm done throwing my money away. I cannot recommend Masterbuilt to my friends.

John,

We are very sorry to hear this has occurred and apologize for your experience and the delay in responding to you review. We would be happy to work with you and make this situation right. If we can still assist you in any way with your smoker, please feel free to send us a private message with your smoker's information.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My husband and kids bought me the smoker 20071117 for my Mother’s Day gift. I love to cook and grill, so I was thrilled to get the smoker. We’ve used it five to six times, worked great. I’m having family and friends over for Thanksgiving and planned on smoking my turkey, so I Went to plug in my smoker and it doesn’t turned on. It’s not an outlet issue, it’s the crappy smoker. I’m devastated and will tell everyone I know to not buy Masterbuilt products. Extremely disappointed.

Teresa,

We are very sorry to hear this occurred and apologize for your experience. We would be happy to work with you and make this situation right. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to make your Masterbuilt experience positive. We apologize for the delay in responding to your review, but that you still have your smoker.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I've had my smoker for 4 years now. Every year for the past 3 years my element will burn out for now reason. I don't use drop chords either. I ordered the part, and received someone else's part. My info on the box was correct but someone else's info inside and the part they ordered. I'm on a deadline for Thanksgiving and they refused to pay to have it overnighted since it was their fault. Now I have to wait and have my function postponed. I called the customer on the packaging slip and they had my part. This is sad and makes no sense. They say they put the customers first, but I sure can't tell.

Toncatboy,

We apologize for the time it has taken to respond to your review. Thank you for taking time to share this, we are very sorry this was your experience. Please let us know if there is any way we can be of assistance to you with your unit!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I bought an electric smoker last year to smoke a turkey with. Used it twice since then and both times the control panel went on the fritz causing me to lose a brisket and a pork shoulder due to temperature and timer not acting correctly. Now this year I supposed to smoke a turkey to take to my dad's which could be his last due to a recent cancer diagnosis. I call your customer service line to explain the issue and I get told I have to shell out more money on a product that only worked once. I purchased this product from Lowe's which is where I work. What's real funny is while on hold the recording says how important my satisfaction is to them... Well I'm so unsatisfied and disgusted with this product, company and customer service that I will most definitely tell every customer looking at your product to walk away because Masterbuilt is junk. Absolute junk and customer care very useless.

Hello Renee,

We apologize for the time it has taken to respond to your review. Thank you for taking time to share this with us, we are very sorry this was your experience. If you still need assistance with your smoker, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. We hope to hear from you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have had a Masterbuilt Smoker for about a year and a half, and truly enjoyed smoking with it until last weekend when I was heating it up to smoke a pork butt and the control panel went all crazy and the smoker heated up to 300 degrees (checked it with infrared thermometer). In fear of it catching fire I unplugged it and ended up cooking the pork butt in the oven. I contacted Masterbuilt today and was on hold for a good 20 minutes before speaking with customer service only to find out there is nothing they will do and that I need to buy a new control panel. I really thought the smoker would last longer than a year and a half. I have electric table saws, grinders, drills welders that are over 20 years old that get used a hell of a lot more than this smoker ever has and they're still working. I guess I will do what everyone in the forums say and save up my money for a real smoker.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I decided to smoke up a Texas style bbq meal in celebration of Election Day. The digital control panel kept flickering on & off between temp settings which made it extremely difficult to read any of temperature & timer settings with any degree of accuracy. I removed the panel & all of the connections were snug and tight and the electricity was functioning perfectly. Needless to say the next six hours were a total guessing game. I had promised a house full of people a meal & all I did was worry! Masterbuilt has never let me down before but after this experience I certainly have my doubts.

Olga,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your review and are sorry to hear that your smoker let you down. Masterbuilt prides itself deeply on our customer service and doing what is right by our customers.If you still have the smoker and are still in need of assistance with the unit, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. We hope we are able to help you still.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I received this as a present for Christmas last year. I work all the time and very rarely get to use it. I have used it 3 times prior to today. This morning when I went to put my brisket in the smoker was on fire from the inside. I was going to put my meat in then leave my wife to watch it while I went to get tires rotated and balanced. I’m thankful it was already on fire before I left. I’m not sure what happened. I unplugged it immediately. I tried water hose but it’s 20 degrees and it was frozen. Grabbed a pitcher of water and put it out that way. This is the first time I’ve used the water pan, not sure what went wrong.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I love this smoker so much I bought a second one when the first one stopped working. BUT now the second one stopped working (has electrical issues). I ordered a new digital panel for now. I’m looking for a new smoker. I’m skeptical about buying this brand again but it is so well recommended and honestly does a great job when it works. I’m still researching options.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Connie, thank you for being a Masterbuilt Customer and considering our products. If we can be of any assistance, please contact our Customer Support Department at 1.800.489.1581. We are happy to assist you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Smoker worked for a few times, then caught fire underneath the unit. It could have easily started the deck on fire. This device is dangerous! Taking the unit apart did not reveal the source of the problem. Attempted to contact Masterbuilt, but you can't unless you send photos of the device and your receipt.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Hello Chris, please send us a private message with your contact information, smoker’s model # and serial #. Or you can contact our Customer Support Department directly at 1.800.489.1581 between the hours of 8-5 EST, Monday – Friday. You can also utilize our online Support Form on our website at www.masterbuilt.com to submit a request to the Customer Support Department.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information