2. Miscellaneous

Masterbuilt Smokehouses

1.1/5 (36 ratings)

About Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt Smokehouses?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I put an incredible amount of research prior to purchasing an entry level electric smoker. Masterbuilt 30" seemed to be mentioned often in many articles and reviews. Alas, the perfect Father's Day present in June 2021. Initially, the product performed wonderfully, however after 6 batches of jerky, and a couple of briskets the seals round the door began to deteriorate. Hard to believe 185-190 degrees could do so much damage to a product built to withstand much more than that. I had high hopes for this smoker, even bought my father in law the same one.

I haven't been able to use this product in a month because the control panel suddenly stopped working and the unit would not heat. Tried several outlets, cleaning connections, even ordered a replacement control module (which took 3 weeks to arrive). Nothing. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere if you're considering an electric smoker. You will save the anger and disgust of prepping a gorgeous brisket only to that a product you cared for and maintained for under 4 months (just outside the 90 day warranty) let you down. Give your business to a company that takes pride in their products. I should have listened to the one star reviews...

Dear Tyler,

We are very sorry to hear you have experienced this issue. Masterbuilt products have a 1 year warranty. We will be sending you a private message to help begin your warranty claim.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I bought my Masterbuilt 40" smoker about 2 years ago. It is my 5th and last one. I will never buy from this company again. I usually get about 3-5 years use before either the control panel or the heating element goes bad. Their customer service was very good when I bought my first one over 10 years ago. Now, to call what they have "customer service" is a misnomer. My unit will not heat and the water pan was leaking. I went online to their website to get their number and could not find it. It said the best (and only way) to contact them is filling out their online form. I then went web hunting and found their number. I called it and got an automated message that told me the only way to contact them is to go online and fill out their form.

What kind of company thinks they are going to stay in business with this kind of business model? So, I filled out their very comprehensive online form. After I submitted it, they told me to wait 5 business days (it was 7) before I could expect them to contact me. I guess they are busy losing customers like me. Their reply was generic and not very helpful. BTW - the reply was from Kamado Joe. I thought it was spam. They own them too. Same ** "customer service". My next smoker will be a Traeger or Camp Chef. Yes, they are more expensive but my research shows they are more reliable. Have have real customer service that is good and helpful. Save yourself the trouble and do the same. Do not buy a Masterbuilt smoker.

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for providing your feedback and bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear you have had a negative experience. We will be sending you a private message, as we would love to make this right.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

I purchased the propane/wood chip smoker online via Home Depot. Upon receipt of the product the packaging was badly damaged. Once opened it appear that the product itself was not damaged. During assembly it was discovered that the temperature gauge (stem) was cracked. Contacted the customer service by phone and was advised that I must contact them via their online site.

I did so on October 15, 2021 providing details of the issue and photos and received a confirmation that the issue was received and was provided with a reference number, Case #: **. It is now October 26, 2021 and still after 2 follow up emails I have not received a response. I have attempted twice to register the product online and both times I have received error messages stating that there is a system error and to try again. This is not what I expected from this company.

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a delay with your claim and would be happy to assist you. We will be sending a private message so we can proceed.

Customer Support

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Updated on 10/27/2021: I have a problem with a relatively new electric MasterBuilt Smoker. I searched for a telephone number to contact customer support. I found one but when I called, the recording said that all customer support issues are now handled via their website. I got on their website, and filled out the requested information regarding my particular product and my specific issue. The response I got back is that they would get back to me within 5 business days. Really? That's not all. I got a canned response that said "we think it could be this part". So I should just order the repair part and hope that it fixes the problem. No technical support, no technical diagnosis, no circuit specifics, no nothing, NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

I have been fooling with this issue since October 16, 2021. What in the world would ever give a company like MasterBuilt the idea that ZERO customer support is the way to go? I would make a suggestion to anyone considering buying anything from Masterbuilt, to not only do your due diligence research on the product, but certainly research their customer support for issues that most certainly will come after the sale. MasterBuilt has NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT. ZERO, NADA ZILCH.

Original Review: I did my due diligence & researched electric smokers before I bought a MasterBuilt. I saw the negative reviews but rationalized then by thinking that mine would be the exception. I purchased it on sale on a Black Friday deal. Used it once in December, used it 3 times the next & once this year. This time I plugged the unit in, set the timer, set the temp, hit enter, popped the breaker. Tried a couple more times, same. Moved the smoker to the garage to try another set of electrical plugs, same. So a 2 year old smoker that I used max 5 times won’t perform? That’s a very poor quality product? I’ve read all the troubleshooting guides, how to replace this part & that, but that just sucks. I enjoyed it the few times I used it, but for the price I paid, the quality sucks.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for taking the time to review our smoker. We are sorry to hear the unit is not functioning as expected. We will be sending you a private message so we are able to further assist.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

The worst possible customer service I have encountered. Sent an email, (because you can't call them), explain that the digital #'s on my controller on the smoker was starting to become unreadable. I got an email back about the temperature. Sent another email, got the same mumbo jumbo! Will never buy another Masterbuilt product!

Good Morning Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. We are sorry to hear of your recent experience with Customer Service. We will be sending a private message so we are able to further assist you.

Customer Support

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Updated on 09/01/2021: Masterbuilt now tells me they do not keep much parts for my electric smoker 20079015. The control panel protective cover is not available nor is the control panel assembly. So now the smoker is useless.

Original Review: Since Masterbuilt does not entertain phone calls anymore and require customers to email them for parts and questions, I have sent 2 emails already asking if a particular part is available. I have a digital electrical smoker Model 20079015. The control panel face is torn and wanted to know if it can be replaced or do I have to purchase the entire control panel assembly. Their website says they will respond in 5 business days. But its been 3 weeks. What is going on? And please do not use Covid as the excuse.

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Customer Support. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a delay. We do recommend not submitting multiple claims or responses as this can delay our response time. We will send you a private message so we are able to further assist you.

Resolution response: Aug. 27, 2021

The part was delivered and I installed it. It works, but your customer service is still horrible and I would still not recommend buy directly from you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Bought a smoker last month, finally got it on August the 9th. Got it all assembled and the internal temp probe was not working. Let them know via chat (the only way to talk to them) it was not working. I have contacted them three more times to try to get the part. Today the 25th they gave me a tracking number for the part. The catch is the label was made today. It has not left their warehouse yet. Don't buy directly from them.

Good Morning Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. We will send a private message to further assist you.

Customer Support

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I purchased Model 20050813, which is a vertical propane smoker, and I only got three full uses out of the unit before it caught fire below the burner. It's been cleaned properly, but each time thereafter I go to start it, fire erupts below it, and because of their short connection to the propane tank, I fear the fire will catch the propane tank one of these times and cause it to explode. There appears to be a defect in the burner itself, which I reported to customer service. I sent in pics and described the problem, and they basically said I don't clean it frequently enough and I would have to buy a new burner. What the heck kind of service and product guarantee is that?!?! I plan to just toss the unit and buy an electric smoker from a different Manufacturer who stands by their product. Extremely disappointed!!!

Good Afternoon Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. We are sorry to hear that you experienced this issue and we will be sending a private message so we can further assist you.

Customer Support

Original review: July 24, 2021

My sister owns a Masterbuilt smoker. She's had it for a number of years and it stopped working. She thought the Analog control failed. Well her smoker model (20070712) no longer exist so we can't find the part on the Masterbuilt site or a knockoff brand on another site. The issue is you can only communicate with Masterbuilt via their online support. In addition you must have registered your product which includes uploading a image of your receipt, model and serial number. Only after all of this can you then submit a "Contact Us" email. She still has the book and the smoker is at least 10 years old and there's no proof of registration. So, no registration means no email, which means no parts, which means, Lose Lose. How is it that there is no alternative for contacting a manufacturer? It appears she will have to replace the entire smoker for essentially the cord. The replacement won't be a Masterbuilt or their other product the Kamado Joe.

Good Morning Hillary,

Thank you for reviewing our product. We will send a private message to further assist you.

Customer Support

Original review: July 23, 2021

I ordered the electric smoker. It came damaged. There is a gash/dent on the side..Very unsightly. I contacted Masterbuilt and was emailed that the damage would not affect the performance. They will not replace it. I did not get an owner's manual..They refuse to send one. I emailed them I am very unhappy with the quality of service. I have a damaged smoker and no owner's manual. I regret this purchase and will tell friends and family not to use or buy Masterbuilt.

Dear Judith,

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced this issue. We will be sending a private message to further assist you.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information