Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am not shy about expressing my displeasure with a product of company when I have a bad experience so when a company does well I think it's only fair to give them kudos. I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker about 4 years ago. Shortly after I bought it I started have trouble with the electronic control unit. I should have addressed it then but I did not. Recently it quit working completely. I e-mailed their Customer Service only asking for some technical help in diagnosing the problem so I could purchase the necessary replacement parts. After reviewing my e-mail Masterbuilt felt it was justified to send me a new electronic control unit AND new heating element completely free! The unit's warranty is 90 days. Mine is about 4 years old. How's that for GREAT customer service! Thanks a bunch Masterbuilt! That is how you retain and gain customers!

I used my Model 2007910 electric smoker TWICE. Both times excellent results. When I tried to set it to use for a weekend cookout, all I get is 300F on controller. I can set the temp and timer but it reverts back to 300F. After reading all the other problems I am very disheartened about this product or the remedies.

I did so much homework before buying this electric smoker with glass door for $350.00. All the reviews said how easy it was to get replacement parts, how great the company was. The competition was from Canada mainly, I wanted a USA built product, so I thought we did it right. Wrong. The smoker didn't last 2 years, with under 20 uses. The unit would not heat anymore, they sent a replacement element, still didn't work. The units are only warrantied for 1 year, and by the looks of everyone else on this site, 2 years in the magic number for product failure. I almost think everyone who purchased in 2015 received faulty products.

The customer service people were very nice, it's not their fault that by the looks of it, the company they work for makes a use by date product. We recommended this unit to friends and family, they bought it also, but we will not purchase another Masterbuilt again. Too much money for a cheap product that doesn't last 2 years. So disappointed in Masterbuilt.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Masterbuilt Smoker 20075315. After two years connections to heating element have burned out. Smoker was kept inside except for use. From what I am reading here and on other sites, it is a known common problem. Now I can't find a replacement element (after hours of searching) to try to fix this $300 piece of landfill material. I wouldn't spend the money had I known of this problem.

Received as a gift a Masterbuilt (20070910) electric smoker less than 1 years ago, used it sparingly, probably about 6 times. It worked well initially and I loved the product that came out of it. I have not used it for about 4 months, now when I try to start it, it will not take a temperature set point, so the unit will not heat. I displays no error codes to even allow a diagnosis of the problem. I contacted Masterbuilt customer service and they did send me a new digital control panel, but still the same problem. So I called them back and was told that if that did not fix the problem it would take a body replacement to resolve the issue at a cost of $199. About the cost of a new smoker.

A body replacement is the entire smoker except for the control panel. I would need to replace the entire body because they tried to explain that no other parts are serviceable, boy that is hard to understand why. They did say that they "might" be able to help if I had a receipt for the purchase, but because it was a gift no help there. I don't see how receipt would change the poor quality of the product that they sold. So after about a half a dozen uses of the smoker and it is junk. My experience seems to like everyone else's here, Masterbuilt smokers are crap, stay away from them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

I am the owner of a MES30, Mod#20070910, Ser#CU041335. The unit is approx 2-3 years old. Purchased from Amazon. It has about 12-15 smokes on it. Approx. 1 year ago it began to shut itself off before it reached desired temperature. Turning it off and on seemed to work. In Oct. 2016 it quit & ruined several pounds of salmon. I called Masterbuilt, they were kind enough to replace the control unit which worked once. Feb 2016 it ruined more meat. Again they replaced the control unit (great service). When I plugged in the new one & set the temp to 250 to test, it went to 275 before I shut it off. Masterbuilt offered to sell a frame kit? For what a whole new unit costs. I am stuck with a $200 junk. Customer service people are nice and helpful but the product has a flaw. I see complaint after complaint about the same problems, both on smoking forums & YouTube. So I know I am not the first with issues on the otherwise good unit.

So I bought the 40" electric Smoker model #20070311. I have had the unit approx. 2 years. The entire time the unit has been kept in a temperature controlled environment in the original box. The second time I used it the control panel started flickering and shut the machine down completely. I have asked Masterbuilt for a special exception in this case. Waiting for a response. So far I have not been impressed or satisfied with Masterbuilt products and would not buy again or recommend them.

I have had my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for 14 months. Overall I was pleased with the device except for the dismal bluetooth range, but then it started tripping GFCI every time I turned it on. I then connected to a standard outlet and it worked for a couple more uses. Then it started tripping the 30 amp breaker. Then it would come on but it would not heat up so I ordered a new $40 element thinking that it was defective. When the part came in, I disassembled the connections for the element to replace and found that when I removed the protective cover off of the back, the wiring was melted. I don't think having the main wiring for the unit directly up against the metal is a good idea. The only protection was a little spray foam that was brittle and fell away when touched. I am lucky it did not burn down my house.

20070512 electric smoker - Used smoker 5 times cost $379.00, found unit smoking from electrical panel in back, it tripped breaker. Took unit apart, here it had started melting foam inside box, POOR design. Seen there was a recall on unit, called Masterbuilt, lady said only recall is on firebox. It gets too hot and may blow door open. Bunch of BS, thing almost caught on fire next to my shop. If I could post pictures of what it looks like inside after I peeled off cover on back it's very poor design, wires are spray foamed tight to hot metal so they heated up and shorted out. Please don't buy no smokers from Masterbuilt. Poor customer service, product sucks. Masterbuilt has no quality!!!

So I bought the smoker about two years ago. Used it four times. Worked great when it was working. Had my next batch of meat all seasoned and ready to go and plugged it in the smoker and it turned on for about 30 seconds and then beeped and turned off and it has been dead ever since. It's been sitting in the garage for probably close to a year now since that happened because I don't know what to do with it. It still looks new but just doesn't work? PURE JUNK!!! So frustrating.

The first one we had, the door fit so poorly we took it back to Lowe's. They looked at it and agreed it wouldn't work. Gave us a new one. Got it home and the inside drip panel wouldn't go in. Finally forced it into place, scraping the sides of the smoker. Have used it 8 times and today the part that holds the water tray fell off. The electronics seem to be ok, but the physical construction is not acceptable. I will just take this to my local recycling drop off, as I personally don't like things that are not right. I have smoked with charcoal for 30 years and thought this might be better. I was wrong. You get what you pay for. I have not owned this a year.

I bought an electric smoker model number 20071514 in October of 2015 and now after two or three uses the heating element has gone out. I don't think I will mess with trying to get another heating element after reading all the reviews on here because if I order another one it looks like it will just go out again so I won't buy any more junk from Masterbuilt unless they can get this situation resolved.

We have had our Masterbuilt approx. 3 yrs. After 2nd time using, the seal around the door leaked all the smoke out. We replaced the door. Then the drip pan fell off and the tray for the wood chips wouldn't go all the way in. Called Masterbuilt and they said there was nothing they could do because it was out of warranty. I wanted to smoke my turkey for Christmas and it wouldn't heat up. We have used this smoker less than 10 times. We have always kept it in the garage and cleaned it properly. We purchased it from Sam's Club and paid $300 for this unit and it is a piece of garbage. I found out that my brother-in-law and nephew recently purchased Masterbuilt smokers. I advised them to return the units before using it and after hearing about my unit they both returned the units. Definitely not worth the money. Very frustrating!!!

Extremely disappointed in Masterbuilt. I have a stainless steel digital smokehouse I purchased in 2007 from Cabelas, used it about ten times to smoke turkey, jerky and fish. Keep it clean and pristine and in my garage covered, looks like new. I purchased this model because I wanted something that would last me for many years. Works well when it works but it failed me this Christmas when I went to smoke some eel and venison. The unit beeps 5 times and the GFCI outlet keeps tripping after a few minutes of heating up.

I called customer service and was told that the heating element is bad and they don't make them anymore and there is no replacement option. I am told the unit is old and no longer viable. That's a crappy response from a Customer Service department. I paid $250 for this unit and it is in perfectly good shape but because they don't make the part anymore, I have no recourse to fix this? Masterbuilt touts it has over 60 thousand parts available, but that doesn't help me here. And they offer no recourse other than sorry you are SOL. I will be appealing to Masterbuilt CEOs as soon as I find their contact numbers and I will be sure my next replacement smoker is not a Masterbuilt and not an electric unit. Very disappointed.

I received my Master Built Smoker as a gift Christmas of 2015. I thought I had a very good product, but after reading all the reviews, I'm having the same problem as a lot of the people that's giving their reviews. My smoker worked great for about a year. Now when I plug it in, I don't have to do anything, temperature goes to 300 and stays there!! Now keep in mind, I just plug it in without turning unit on!!! I wanted to replace the digital control panel, but as I've read the reviews, that too will fail also!! The product was a gift so of course I don't have a receipt!!

The really big problem I have is, I cooked for several people when my unit was doing good, now my son and brother-in-law just received the same smoker for Christmas as gifts!!! I guess I'll have to break the bad news to them and tell them to fill out the Warranty paper and sent it in, or maybe try to get their money back before it's too late!!! So... Where do I go from here??? I'm I basically screwed, or can I get any help to get a new unit or a new control panel, which will fail in time!!! HELP!!!

My first Masterbuilt Electric Smoker lasted about 5 years and finally wore out. The heating element got fried because of moisture collecting on the element where it connects with the controller unit. I ordered the exact same 30 inch Masterbuilt Smoker model and it lasted for about 2 years. After plugging it in, it trips the switch at the plug after about a minute. I was thinking about ordering a new smoker from Masterbuilt but after all of the poor reviews, I decided against it. It's sad that the company put its name on crappy products.

I received a Masterbuilt Signature Series digital smoker model # 20071514 Serial # 1113 approximately a year ago and have only used it about 3 times and kept it in dry storage when wasn't in use. I took it out today and tried to use it and just like a lot of other reviews I've read I got no power. I tried different outlets and still no power to it. I am very disappointed with this. This is the first smoker I've ever had and now I don't if I got a lemon but I don't know if I'd buy another Masterbuilt after seeing a lot of the reviews about the problems with this. I loved my smoker but don't know what to do about and tried to find something online to troubleshoot the problem but nothing can be found. I am very disappointed with this and hopefully they can do something about this so I can change a negative experience to a positive experience and give a different review.

Bought 30-inch Masterbuilt Digital Smoker last year on Black Friday sale at Ace. Used it 3-4 times. Nice job. Smoking the turkey for Thanksgiving this year, went to turn up temp and the digital control shorted. Beeped. Took it off the unit, jiggled wires, checked the quick connects, reset, boom, shorts again. Needless to say did it 6 times, gently laid controller down and finished smoking. But now it won't turn on, just beeps and clicks and won't start, that is the controller. It is done for, being of digital build, not worth buying controller. Saw on here that replacement controller fails also. Don't buy this smoker due to controller.

I have chosen to review as per my experience. Bought 40" unit perhaps 3 years ago. Have successfully smoked at least ten times. Not more than 15. Have been satisfied with the results. However, aside from that. I once noted a very slight shock when touching the unit barefoot upon a use. Upon later use the unit would trip the GFI. Then not. Then... The last time the unit was used some months ago I received a shock when touching the unit. The GFI was repeatedly tripped. Removed the element cover plate. Found the wiring burned. Masterbuilt suggested element replacement. Given the cost and use of the unit replacement of the element is a bit much. Have considered buying a replacement thinking I may have purchased and used the lemon of the year unit. Given so many others with similar experiences, I realize I made a mistake.

Bought this smoker a year ago. Worked great first 2-3 times we used it. Now, here on thanksgiving I woke up early to get it going and of course it won't work. Same electrical issue being described by everyone else. Turns on, runs for a minute or two, shorts out and turns off. Unreliable piece of junk. Will never buy a crapster-built product again, and I mean that. Reading all these reviews, it's the biggest con going.

Masterbuilt electric smoker is Garbage. I received smoker as a gift in 2014. Used it 4 times and element went out. Replaced element and it too went out after 3 smoking sessions. DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$ ON THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

Thank you for reaching out. We looking forward to getting this resolved quickly!

Purchased a Masterbuilt 40" Smoker two years ago and have only used it a handful of times. Kept the smoker stored in a clean, dry garage. Took it out today and our electric GFI kept tripping every time I tried setting the temperature and time. It's unsatisfactory that a higher priced smoker would break so easily after a few years. Would be nice to have a Masterbuilt rep contact me in order to discuss further.

Received as a gift (another of my wife's QVC bargains). After literally hours of unpacking and assembly I was looking forward to my first cooking experience. Smoker started one time and got warm, not hot, but warm. It hasn't worked since. After calling and waiting on hold for a goodly period of time and starting the machine with the troubleshooter a replacement burner was sent and installed with another 90 minutes of repair. Result: really nice cabinet. The timer works really well. Smoker, it ain't! Has yet to rise beyond the outside temperature. If it would just get colder we could store soda pop in it. What a piece of junk!

I got one as a Christmas gift. I loved it for the first three smoker events but by the fourth use it was hard to turn on (it kept turning itself off after a couple of minutes). By the fifth event I couldn't get it to turn on. I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased it. I did not keep the receipt but bought it at Ace Hardware.

I have a 40 inch Model 20076515 Masterbuilt Smoker. I've had less than a year, and the control panel face popped off and blew away. Now I don't know what the buttons' functions are. It's been covered and well cared for, and this should not have happened, especially after using the smoker a few times. I would like to get a control panel cover for the buttons, but they don't make one. You apparently have to buy the whole control panel for $100.00! The whole machine isn't much more than that! I just want it up and running again. Other than the panel cover, it's worked well.

I bought my master built electric smoker September 3, 2016. It worked great for two smoking. Started the 3rd smoke session October 22, 2016. It worked for 30 minutes, then it stop heating. What a mess. It only lasted for one month and a few days. After reading all these reviews I will ask for my money back.

We were very excited to buy this smoker when it was on sale on QVC in March 2015. We used it maybe two or three times before it started repeatedly shutting on and off while making a weird beeping noise. We called customer service, and they sent us a new control panel to fix the issue. We used it a couple more times with no problems and saved it indoors for the winter. We maybe only used it a couple of times this year, and of course on Labor Day, the smoker is having the same problem.

After waiting over 30 minutes on the phone to speak to somebody, I decide to email the company seeing as no one responded to the voicemail they say you can leave them. Now I am being offered a new body kit for $100 plus shipping, because my warranty expired. Waiting to hear back if there will be any kind of warranty with this new kit if I decide to purchase it. But after reading all these reviews, I'm really not sure if I should chance spending at least another $100 on this brand. It's upsetting to make this decision when I've already spent over $250 on a product that I thought was worth it. It's also a shame because when the machine does work, the food comes out incredible. It gets an extra star for that.

I have a Masterbuilt smoker model 20071814 that works great when working properly. However, over half the time the unit will shut off randomly or never turn on. The control on this unit has temp setting and time setting on it and frequently is inoperative. I received this as a gift so I didn't have a receipt and used it no more than twice before the issue started. I contacted the company 5 times and they never got back to me. Given that it's only worked a few times it's essentially cost $50- $100 for each successful smoke I've got out of it. I understand that certain items are bad out of the box but I do not understand how a supposedly reputable company does such a poor job supporting their product.

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker model 20070910 - I purchased this unit about 2 years ago. I kept it in the garage and only brought it out when using it. I never used an extension chord. I probably used this smoker about 10 times. The last time I tried using it, the system kept shorting out the GFI outlet. I tried a different outlet with the same problem. Parts are not available. This should not happen to a unit that cost as much as it did and was well maintained.

I originally purchased by Masterbuilt Smoker Model # 200472612 in March 2015 and just after the warranty period the smoker would start to heat up then shut off. I paid over $100 to replace the electronic control on the front of the smoker. Now it is doing the same thing after only using it 3 times. When the smoker works it does a great job but I can't afford to keep throwing $100 out for a part to keep it running. Not satisfied at all with this smoker.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Profile