Masterbuilt Smokehouses Reviews

• 14%
  • 3%
  • 82%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Reviewed July 20, 2018

Bought a Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker less than 2 weeks ago. Used it once and it worked great. Put a brisket in it today and and set it on 225... Smoker will not stay below 300 and is beeping and will then shut off. We have restarted it... Unplugged it... Opened the vent and door to let it cool down but it still shoot a straight to 300 plus degrees! I would have never bought this brand if I had known the reviews were so bad! I have a 50 dollar price of meat in this smoker that might be ruined now. This is only the second time it has been used and it is overheating badly. If I could return this I would.

Pinned

Hello Brett, We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning. Please send us a private message with your smokers model # and serial # and we would be happy to assist you with your smoker. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 14, 2018

The worst customer service ever. Takes them several days to email you back. On hold to speak to customer service on a week day 30 minutes. Ordered a part. Repeated the item to be sent MULTIPLE times. They sent the wrong part. Find an Electric Smoker Company that provides Good Customer Service. They don't.

Hello Alane,
    Thank you for your feedback. This experience is never what we want with our customer service. Please send us a private message with your smoker and order information if we can assist you.

Reviewed July 13, 2018

Bought 2 Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite and both smoker has caught on fire. No explication of why when both smokers were clean and hoses were in working order. Loved these smokers but definitely in question to get another one.

Hello Chad,
    Please send us your information regarding both of your smokers. We would be happy to assist you with the smokers.

Reviewed July 8, 2018

Bought a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker and used it about 10 times. Then went to use it and it would randomly shut off. Called Masterbuilt and told them my issue and bought a replacement control panel. I put it in and it still keeps shutting off. Sometimes it's 2 hrs before it does and sometimes it's shorter. When I first got this I thought it was the best thing I ever bought. Now it's just frustrating. Not sure if I will buy a replacement but if I do I may buy a different brand sadly.

Damien,

Please send me a private message so that I can assist you with your smoker. I would be glad to try and find a solution for your smoker's power issue. I hope to hear from your soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2018

Bought the Masterbuilt smoker model number 20076514. It worked great 3 times. But the fourth time we tried to use it and the control panel started flashing an error code. After looking up the code online it said the control was broken and needing to be replaced. This is kept under an enclosed porch protected from the elements. I could understand if this was used over and over again and kept outside exposed to the elements. But after three uses it's basically useless unless we purchase a $100 part. Very very disappointed with this company and the quality of their products.

Joshua,

We are sorry to hear that is has been your experience so far. We do not have any replacements control panels that are $100 and we offer a warranty with our smokers. If you have not reached out to our Customer Service Department at 1.800.489.1581, please send a private message and we will be glad to assist you with your smoker.

Reviewed July 5, 2018

Bought a new 30" gas smoker about year and a half ago, the gas valve was bad straight out of box. Called customer service but did not get the problem solved, I had to look at people with the same problem to find out what was wrong. Bought a new gas valve and it worked fine for about 5 uses and yesterday on the 4th of July it melted the knob that adjusts the flame. Waste of money and meat.

Robert,

Please send us a private message with your smokers information so that we can assist you with your smoker. We would be glad to trouble shoot with you and reach the best solution for you.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

Not exactly sure about the purchase date. Let me tell you, this is the biggest piece of crap I've ever purchased. I'm not joking when I say I've only use this 6 times and the element has be replaced 2 twice already. Once shortly after I purchased it and another one maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Today the darn thing caught on fire, yep element went out again. 3 times I have failed to complete my cooking. Thank God it caught on fire without my meat in there and I was there to unplug the smoker before it really flamed up.

I'm sure the warranty is up but you guys knew there was an issue with these smokers and didn't do anything about it. I brought this topic up and was told there wasn't any known issues but based on all the complaints I see for the same topic online I know there is. I'm sure I'll get the same generic response you guys give everyone else. "Masterbuilt Smokehouses response." "We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would like the opportunity to assist you with this issue and hope you will take a moment to give us a call so that we can help you find a resolution to the issue you're having. Our number is 800-489-1581 or you can use the email submission form under the Support tab on our website: www.masterbuilt.com. We look forward to assisting you." I guess I will just follow their footsteps and leave a bad review too.

Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. If you have not already been assisted through the quoted steps in your post, please send us a private message.

Reviewed July 3, 2018

My wife gave my an Masterbuilt Electric Smoker for Christmas of 2017. After the first month of use I observed problems with the temperature gauge. The smoker never reached the correct temperature and took twice as long to reach the temperature of 225 degrees. When cooking food it take twice as long to cook. I would clean the smoker as instructed I would still encounter the same problem. On July 3 2018 I pulled the smoker out to test it. The smoker no longer works nor will the smoker even heat up. I have not even had this product for even a year and it has completely failed. What a rip off. I would not recommend this product to anyone. A bad product deserves bad reviews.

Hello William,
    We are sorry to hear that your smoker is not functioning properly. Please send us a private message with your smokers information so that we can assist you with it.

Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Scott increased rating by 2 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Masterbuilt Smokehouses, Scott increased their star rating on Sept. 2, 2018.

Updated review: Sept. 2, 2018

I want to thank Masterbuilt for truly sticking by there product. Customer service went the extra mile to make sure i was satisfied and now my smoker is back up and running. Thanks again Masterbuilt!!

Original Review: July 3, 2018

Extremely disappointed in Masterbuilt electric smoker model 20070910. This is the 2nd bad control panel since I've owned the smoker. The 1st control panel lasted about 7-8 uses and the 2nd control panel lasted thru 5 uses. I'm aggravated since I have 15 lbs of pork all prepared for what I thought would be smoked pulled pork. Now it looks like I'll be cooking it inside my instant pot. I'm unsure if I should toss unit in the trash and buy a Green Egg smoker or a new Traeger smoker. So once again Masterbuilt thanks for FAILING ME!!

Scott,
    If you have not thrown out your smoker, please send us a private message with your smoker's information so that we can troubleshoot with you. We would be glad to assist you with the smoker's digital control panel and help prevent any future issues with it.

Reviewed July 3, 2018

We just bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker from Lowe’s. My husband used it the first time last night, after 3 hours we smelled smoke coming inside our house. When I went outside to check on it, there was a massive fire next to the smoker. The smoker had let out a spark which flew over and hit our trash can. Our trash can burned to the ground and proceeded to catch my car on fire. Luckily we caught and put out the fire before the fire got to the engine, but the entire front of my car is destroyed because of the malfunction of this smoker. It looks like we are not the only ones who have had this issue with the smoker either. This company needs to do something about it. This could have easily caught our house on fire or started a major car fire because of this smoker. It is very scary and disappointing. We will not be using this brand new smoker again.

Jessica,
    Please send us a private message with your contact information so that we can reach out you. This experience is never what we want.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Bought a new electric smoker and it quit after 3 uses. Bought a propane smoker and it exploded nearly killing my husband. Have emailed and tried to call customer service. This happened 3 weeks ago and still no response.

Shannon,
    If our Customer Service has not reached out to you, please send us a private message with your information so that we can locate your request and reach out to you.

Reviewed June 16, 2018

I have had two of these in 18 months. Both have had the same issue... Plug it in and it beeps, runs through a series of numbers and DIES... Brisket and ham ready to go in smoker and I am just out of luck huh... Same Exact problem TWICE... I am so angry. What do I do with all this meat??? There is NO doubt Masterbuilt KNOWs they have an issue.

Pinned
    Pamela, We are sorry to hear about the experiences you have had so far. Please send us a private information with both of your smokers information so that we can assist you the best way possible.

Reviewed June 16, 2018

We loved our smoker and used it almost daily until it blew up in my husband's face and he got hurt. Contacted Masterbuilt. Not even to hear "I am sorry" from them! We sent them pics and everything! They said the only thing they will do is send us a new smoker which we declined since it is very dangerous! This company is responsible for my husband's injuries and they did nothing! So much for your Christian values Masterbuilt!

Pinned
    Thank you for your message Jennifer. We have been in contact with your husband since his initial correspondence via email and have been actively working on this matter with you to reach a resolution.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

John increased rating by 3 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Masterbuilt Smokehouses, John increased their star rating on Aug. 1, 2018.

Updated review: Aug. 1, 2018

Masterbuilt sent me two controllers which they didn't have to do, but they did and that says a lot about the company caring about their customers

Original Review: June 9, 2018

I have purchased 2 of the 40" digital smokers, one worked great for over two years. It failed when I cleaned it. The controller wouldn't turn on. It was two days before Thanksgiving and I was going to smoke a turkey, so I ran out and bought a second one. A little over two year later, the second smoker failed as well. When you plug it in it beeps, but will not turn on. I couldn't find a manual online so I emailed support with the model number and serial number, I got a reply a little over a week later stating that if I gave them the correct part number they would send me a manual and a quote for a new controller.

The week I spent waiting for a reply I started searching the web for a solution to my problem, wow I was astonished on the number of bad reviews for Masterbuilt digital smokers, These controllers are not reliable at all, as confirmed by all of the negative reviews on consumer affairs. I replied with the correct part number as I made a typo writing 20060311 instead of 20070311.

I responded with the correct part number and that I had done some research and apparently the controllers are not very reliable and that they would have to be really cheap for me to invest any more money in Masterbuilt products - it has been 10 days since that reply and no response from Masterbuilt. Either I made them mad with my reply or they are swamped with complaints, suffice to say, they still have not sent me the manual! I was a Masterbuilt proponent but with the support I have gotten for a very unreliable controller, I would suggest at least staying clear of buying the Digital smokers until they fixed the reliability issues or re-design the controllers.

Hello Jon,
    Thank you for your review. Please send a private message with your information including your email address and we will assist you with getting the information that you need.

Reviewed June 5, 2018

I received a propane smoker made by a Masterbuilt for my birthday. On Super Bowl Sunday I wanted to cook a meal for my family. After smoking chicken and a pork tenderloin for three hours, I’ve been down to look at the temperature and the smoker blew up in my face. Had to go to the ER with thousands of dollars in medical bills. I’m lucky it didn’t kill me. Please do not buy a Masterbuilt propane smoker if you value your life or the life of your family members. I asked Masterbuilt for help with my medical bills and they want me to send them The smoker that blew up so that I have no proof. I don’t want other families to go through what we went through. There shouldn’t be a chance of you dying from cooking your family a meal on Super Bowl Sunday.

Pinned
    Thank you for your message Greg. We have been in contact with you since your initial correspondence via email. We are actively working with you on this matter and your Case is currently being assessed.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

Thomas increased rating by 2 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Masterbuilt Smokehouses, Thomas increased their star rating on July 18, 2018.

Updated review: July 18, 2018

Wonderful customer service regarding issue with meat probe resolved quickly and efficiently. I look forward to years of continued smoking on my Masterbuilt John McLemore Signature Series Smoker!

Original Review: June 2, 2018

Love the smoker, less than one year old (Father's Day 2017) but meat probe stopped working this spring. Not sure if covered under one year warranty or not. Seems a shame since rest of smoker has been performing EXCELLENTLY with perfectly smoked meats/fish. I understand Probe takes a while to read correct temp once powered up but just continues to read 310F even in 50F pork shoulders. HELP!

Hello Thomas,

I am sorry to hear that your smoker's meat probe is not functioning properly. Please send me a private message with your Model #, Serial # and contact information so that we can assist you with a resolution for that part. Thank you.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

Woody increased rating by 3 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Masterbuilt Smokehouses, Woody increased their star rating.

Original Review: May 28, 2018

I have a 30" Masterbuilt smoker I purchased from Sam's about 2 yrs ago... Used it only 4 times since and thought I'd fire it up for this Memorial Weekend. Unfortunately it is a deadbeat with no heat! I did some continuity testing on the element and it seems to be ok at 12 ohms, but no heat. I guess I should have just stuck to my Weber, which is what I'm now going to go back to unless Masterbuilt can inform me as to how to fix this without additional $$$. Sad because it is still new and clean, glass is clear, like having a very nice car that doesn't start... becomes a big paperweight. I would not recommend this brand at all being that it went out so soon.

Hello Woody,

We are sorry to hear this. We do not strive for this type of experience with our products. Please send a private message with your information and your smoker's Model # and Serial #. We would be glad to assist you with your smoker the best way that we can. We look forward to helping you.

-Masterbuilt Customer Support

Lamar increased rating by 3 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Masterbuilt Smokehouses, Lamar increased their star rating on July 14, 2018.

Updated review: July 14, 2018

Masterbuilt customer service worked with me to get the problem with my smoker resolved even though my smoker is out of warranty. The smoker works great and the customer service is exceptional.

Original Review: May 27, 2018

I purchased this smoker (digital electric) in February 2016 and have used it six times since. I used it two or three times before the digital controller failed. Of course it was a holiday and company coming. I put the smoker back in the garage and forgot about it for a while. Sometime after the warranty ran out I called Masterbuilt and they sent me a new digital controller at no cost. This was great customer service. I used the smoker a few more times and once again it failed. This time the temperature would not stop rising. I called Masterbuilt again and the rep suggested a new digital controller, which I purchased. I installed the new digital controller and had the same problem.

Temperature would not stop rising. I believe that both controllers are ok. I removed the back panel and replaced the thermostat. Same issue, heat won't stop. So, I have a Masterbuilt smoker that I've sunk about a hundred fifty bucks into and had six uses out of. It would probably make a good offshore reef or maybe a birdhouse with a few holes drilled in it. It won't work for smoking unless you prefer your meat burned to a crisp. If you see one on sale, keep walking. If your store is giving them away for free, keep walking. Go to a barbeque restaurant and feed the whole family, in-laws, neighbors or anyone else you may see on the way there. Your frustration level will be much less than dealing with a product that doesn't work.

Lamar,
    We sincerely apologize for the experience you have had with your smoker. We would be more than happy to assist you with your smoker! Please give us a call @ 1-800-489-1581 to troubleshoot further, or send a private response through here and I can also help. We look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed May 27, 2018

Owned the Masterbuilt 40” electric smoker for about 2 years now. Used it only about a dozen times. Went to heat it up to clean it before the Memorial Day cookout and it shot up to 300+ degrees and wouldn’t shut down! Even when the digital display wasn’t on, it was still heating! No smoking this weekend for us. Disappointing that it would have issues like this with such minimal usage.

Brett,
    We apologize for your inconvenience. I would be happy to help you with this inconvenience and get your smoker working properly again! I hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right with you! Please send me a private message and I would be happy to provide you with more information!

Reviewed May 26, 2018

I have a Masterbuilt smoker that I have been seeking a replacement digital controller for. I believe the part number of this controller is 99070002. This part went out in about a year and half after purchase right in the middle of cooking. So far no luck of any kind finding one that will work on this smoker. I still would love to get a replacement for this part. I have since purchased another smoker of a different brand but don't like the way it works compared to the Masterbuilt one I have. I spent almost $400 on the Masterbuilt smoker from Sam's wholesale store several years ago and really love to get it working again.

Hello Kenneth,
    You are able to get replacement parts directly from us. If you would reply with a private message with your contact information, I can assist you with getting a replacement digital control panel for your smoker. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 18, 2018

I purchased a Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker 2 years ago and loved every minute of use for the first year and a half. Unfortunately last summer, I started experiencing some issues with the unit. The digital panel would sometimes start going haywire and blinking all over the place. I then had issues with the temperature heating up and staying at a desired spot. I then started reading some reviews only to find that many other people have had bad experiences with the Masterbuilt electric smokers having wiring issues. After having my smoker completely quit one day (no response at all when plugged in), I decided to pull the back panel off to expose the wiring of the heating element. To my surprise, I saw all of the burnt up wiring that many others had posted photos of from the factory wiring system.

I have never had my unit outside - it has always been used in my garage and covered. I was disappointed to find that a relatively lightly used unit could fail so quickly. After lots of research, I decided to order a rebuild kit for the heating element and wiring. I installed the kit only to find that the smoker was still completely dead after plugging it in. After calling in all I was recommended to do was now replace the control unit. It is pathetic to have to purchase so many replacement parts in order to enjoy using a product from a company that cost a decent amount to purchase. I only purchased an electric smoker for the enticing promise of it making smoking more user friendly - instead, this has been nothing but a nightmare.

Blair,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and would be happy to help resolve this issue with your smoker! Please send me a private response and I would be glad to start the process in troubleshooting and assisting you in this matter!

Reviewed May 16, 2018

I ordered the Masterbuilt 30 Bluetooth electric smoker online from Academy Sports. When it arrive 4-16-18 the front of the box had a puncture with a rip down it. We open the box. The glass is shattered and the door glass goes everywhere. I look on the box. It states if there are problems or damage to contact Masterbuilt. So I email them stated what occurred. They emailed back, "Sorry about the glass being shattered. You need to contact the company you bought it from."

So I contact Academy Sports. It takes them 7 days to respond back. To say, "We sent it to accident/damage department." I never receive a response back until I call them. All they say is, "We're waiting for Masterbuilt to respond back." I wait several more days. Academy Sports calls and tell me to sent email to Masterbuilt with receipt serial and model number. I even sent pictures. Here it is now 5-15-18 I have not received a response back from Masterbuilt. Almost a month out and still have not gotten it taken care of. I will not buy another Masterbuilt product and I will never order online from Academy Sports.

Brenda,

Thank you for taking time to share this. This experience is never what we want or strive for with our customer service. We hope you will give us a chance to make your Masterbuilt experience a positive one. If you would, please send a private message so that we can resolve this for you.

Reviewed May 14, 2018

Purchased a replacement element. Worked great for 2 days. Now, element will not heat. My main question is simple...many problems with the JMSS electric smoker. Why has there not been a recall by Masterbuilt? As has been said previously by another disgruntled customer, when I spend 300 plus dollars on something, I expect it to work more than 5 times! I shouldn't have to be purchasing replacement items for a practically new item!

Dear Christopher,
    I would be happy to help you with this inconvenience and get your smoker working properly again! I am sorry for all the troubles you've had! I hope you will give us the opportunity to make things right with you! Please send me a private message and I would be happy to provide you with more information!

Reviewed May 14, 2018

I purchased this Masterbuilt 20070512 40-Inch Front Controller Electric Smoker and have been happy with the results smoking various foods. However, shortly after I started using it (about 4-5 uses) the wireless remote stopped working. Sometimes I can get it to connect if I open the battery cover and squeeze the battery into the compartment but usually the screen will go blank as soon as I take my finger off. Anyway, I figured I could live without the remote control because it's not that hard to walk outside and check the control panel on top of the smoker to program and check what the temperature and time settings are. However, a few more uses is (about 10 total) the plastic cover over the electronic control panel came loose on the bottom. It was still attached at the top but was clearly not water-proof anymore. Since the control panel sits on top of the unit that's not a good thing if there is any kind of drizzle or rain.

I always keep the smoker covered when not in use. This past weekend when I went to use it, the plastic cover had come completely off and it blew away in the wind. Now I'm left with an exposed control board. I called customer service and was told that it was out of warranty so I would have to buy a whole new control assembly. She said that since the cover had come off, the electronics had likely been exposed to weather so I couldn't just get a new clear plastic cover for it. Of course it's out of warranty so they want $35 plus shipping in order to replace a 20-cent piece of plastic that had a poorly designed or was outright defective in terms of attaching to the smoker. Now I have a $400 smoker that is missing a very inexpensive component and they are asking me to pay about 10% of the cost of a new smoker to bring it back up to working condition.

Reviewed May 11, 2018

I have a propane smoke and called customer service about the function of the gas valve not working properly. It was stated from the customer service rep the gas valve assembly is defective and they could sell me a new for 50.00 dollars. This smoke is just over a year old. Now I have a smoke with defective parts could create a problem if I use the smoke. In my opinion this unit could blow up or create a fire. I was surprised after talk to the supervisor. The answer on the communication from the service rep was Service Rep is new and shouldn't told me the part is defective. From what I could tell the supervisor advice the reps to mislead the customer think it's their problem and they have to pay for the repairs. I am surprised that a company wouldn't take responsibility for their products.

Kevin,

We sincerely apologize for the experience you had with our customer service. We would be more than happy to assist you with your smoker! Please send a private response through here so that I can get more information from you to better assist you. I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed May 6, 2018

I bought a Masterbuilt Smoker and the first one shipped did not work. I returned the first one and was shipped a 2nd one. On the 2nd one the tub that holds the wood chips does not turn to drop the chips into the box to burn them. It never worked. Is there an easy fix. Thanks.

Peter,

Yes, I would be happy to work with you on this issue and find a resolution for you so you can continue to enjoy your smoker! Please send me a private response through here with your model and serial number and contact information and I can get started! I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed May 2, 2018

I love the smoker (ESQ30BP) itself, however, the digital control panel went bad after using only 3 times. I can reorder a new one for $44.99 plus shipping but not sure I’m going to because chances are it may go bad again. A lot disappointed in the quality of control panel. From the reviews sounds like this is a defective issue with this unit. First time customer... not happy!

Donna,

Thank you for your feedback. I would be happy to work with you on this issue and find a resolution for you so you can continue to enjoy your smoker! Please send me a private response through here with your model and serial number and contact information and I can get started! I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed May 2, 2018

It sounds like everyone has the same experience here. You buy the smoker, you final get the hang of it, you make some great food, and it ends up breaking down. My first one had problems with a burnt out wiring. It would turn on and do some crazy beeping thing and die on me. I had the first one for less than two years. I see there is a brand new smoker and go ahead and get a new one (since they look like they listen to a lot of the concerns and fixed some problems).

I got the Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite Electric Digital Smoker less than a year ago. My meat thermometer is faulty at best. It is all over the place. Too hot, too cold, never the right temp. Now the front face that is built in (different from the attached face from the previous one) is peeling off. Between the meat thermometer and the face coming off (and the inevitable bricking my smoker), I do not intend to get a new one. I just hope that one day that their products meet their very good customer service.

Pinned

We are sorry to hear this has occurred and would be happy to help you with the necessary parts for your smoker so you can continue to enjoy it. Please give us a call @ 1-800-489-1581. You're also welcome to send me a private response here on this site and I can work with you to resolve this issue for you.

Reviewed April 29, 2018

I was giving the Masterbuilt Signature Series Electric Smoker for Father's Day two years ago. We have moved twice since then and I was able to use it 4 (four) times. I go out today, 4-29-18 to smoke some chicken and it won't heat up. Keeps tripping the breaker. What a disappointment. 4 Times!? It isn't the house, as I checked. This will be the last Masterbuilt anything I buy!!!

Reviewed April 28, 2018

The Masterbuilt electric smoker looked like a nice smoker, however for the price and only using 3 times it quit working. On closer inspection we found it looked like it shorted out and burned the inside insulation. Pretty expensive for only 3 uses. From what we found looks like we will be purchasing a new smoker however don't think it will be another Masterbuilt. Too bad my receipt was tossed from Farm & Fleet which was purchased as a gift.

Reviewed April 22, 2018

I love cooking food with these smokers, however, 3 have failed due to either control head or element failures. The internet is littered with people trying to solve various problems with these smokers. I will probably not buy a 4th smoker, too much trouble.

Pinned
    We are very sorry to hear this occurred! There is no need to replace your entire smoker, however! We can help with replacement parts to get your unit going again if it has had an issue! Please call us with your model and serial number, or feel free to reply here with a private response and I can also assist you!

Reviewed April 18, 2018

I was given a 30” Sportsman Elite smoker for my birthday late 2016. Of course now it’s out of warranty. At first temps would shoot up or go low resulting in a very bad experience with meat (sometimes burnt sometimes undercooked). Now the control pad registers 240 degrees even when it’s first turned on and the door is open! The up/down buttons seem to have a mind of their own. Sad since I didn’t use this many times. Can you tell me what I need to do to fix this unit?

Dear Cecilee,

Reviewed April 17, 2018

Purchased the smoker a week ago. Used it once. Smoked a pork shoulder at 235 degrees for nine hours. The smoker did a good job. Was moving it around in the garage an hour ago, and lo and behold... I discovered the paint is peeling off the area of the main smoker box around where it contacts the door seal. Just noticed the warranty SPECIFICALLY doesn't cover paint peeling. I guess they already know this is a problem. I wish I had seen this little disclaimer before purchasing. I would have purchased a different brand. Again, less than two weeks old. One use. Sad.

Reviewed April 14, 2018

Bought this smoker about 10 months ago and it lasted about 4 times cooking, after emailing the company and no response for 3 or 4 days. I called Masterbulit, diagnosed the problem and got parts only to be wrong diagnosis. Sent another part and seems to be working, not sure at this point though, my problem is. Who wants to work on these things? I bought to cook on, it takes two people to put parts on. Congratulations to the people who have no problems with their purchase. Very nasty job replacing these parts. I would NEVER buy another product from this company, nice customer service, and they will send all the cheap parts you want, but you have to be the mechanic.

Dear Tim,
    We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that the issue with your smoker is resolved and you're able to continue using and enjoying your smoker from here on out. Thank you for being a Masterbuilt Customer!

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Russ increased rating by 4 stars.
    After a positive interaction with Masterbuilt Smokehouses, Russ increased their star rating.

Original Review: April 14, 2018

Bought a competition brisket for a special event this weekend and started smoking Friday night. Just 3 hours in the smoker temp shot to 300 and is stuck there, even though the inside temp is already back down to 75 degrees. It is just the third time I have used my Masterbuilt 30 Electric Smoker that I purchased from Academy Sports + Outdoors. What a downer!!!!

Dear Russ,
    We are sorry to hear this has happened. This is a quick and simple fix and I would be glad to assist you with it! Please feel free to send me a private message on here and I will get you started with this replacement part order!

Reviewed April 12, 2018

I bought my Masterbuilt smoker and right out of the box the control panel did not work. I will say that they sent a new control box, but I still had to put a digital thermometer inside to manage the heat inside. Seems the readout is off about 10 degrees. I was very happy with its cooking performance, and after only 15 uses (yes I counted)... I go to smoke a turkey only to go out to check on it and it's cut off. Temperature was down to 91 degrees (by my digital remote thermometer)... I cut it back on and it won't heat up... all the control, lights work but NO HEAT... I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I hate I spent all the money on the product to have nothing but problems, when I called the hotline I was on hold for 46 minutes, then the line went dead and I was disconnected. Looks like the smoker will now be used as a storage box for wood... I purchased it from my place of work. Lowe's home improvement... I will not recommend this to my customers. I hope everyone that reads this does so before wasting their hard earned money. God Bless you all.

Dear Michael,

Reviewed April 12, 2018

I purchased a Masterbuilt Pro electric smoker several years ago. I was a beginner smoker and had a lot to learn. I only smoke a couple times a year but never really got good smoke in the smoker. I read tips online and figured that it was just my inexperience. I read an article online that said that Masterbuilt has a retro kit for my smoker. I called them on 4-10-2018 and was told that all lines were busy and that I could leave my number for a callback. I waited two days for my callback but it never came. I called on 4-12-18 and spoke to a very nice lady.

I was told that there was a retro kit for my smoker but that I would have to pay for the part and the shipping because I was out of the warranty date. I don’t feel that I should have to pay for a part on a smoker that was their design flaw. I offered to pay for the part if they covered the shipping. I again was told that I would have to pay for everything. Just don’t feel that this is entirely my fault that they sold a product that needed a retro kit to work properly.

Daryl,
    We are sorry for any troubles you may have had in regards to this situation. We would be glad to help if at all possible. We do have a 1-year warranty on our units but I would be glad to assist you in this matter however I can. Please feel free to send me a private message with your information and unit details and I will see what can be done.
    Sincerely

Reviewed April 10, 2018

I bought your product & first time something goes wrong with it. Cannot get the parts to fix it. First & last time to purchase a Masterbuilt product. Spend that kind of money on something only to throw it away.

Dear Kenneth,
    We apologize for any inconvenience and would like to help if possible! Have you called our Customer Service Department to see if parts are available for the issue you're having? We have most available and if not, we can try to help you find parts for discontinued items online as well. Please send me a private message if you'd like assistance with this!

Masterbuilt Customer Support Specialist

Reviewed April 6, 2018

I bought a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker in December of 2017 with my Christmas bonus from Academy Sports and Outdoors in Mesquite, Texas. Today, on April 4, 2018 I have attempted to use my smoker for the third (3) time. I smoked a Turkey for Christmas and one brisket about 3 weeks ago but, now today the piece of crap continues to overheat even though I have the smoker thermostat set for 250. The smoker runs up to 300 degrees and then shuts off. I was trying to smoke a Boston Pork Butt. I guess I will have to finish cooking it in my oven. I am incredibly disappointed in my experience with this smoker. I'm not going to waste my time trying to go through Masterbuilt's customer service department because looking at other reviews they are apparently aware that they are selling an inferior product. I have stored and used this product correctly and have taken exceeding care not to hurt or damage my first and probably last Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.