Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Masterbuilt Smokehouses

1.6/5 (459 ratings)

About Masterbuilt Smokehouses

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt Smokehouses?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Masterbuilt?

Original review: June 19, 2020

The food was great the whole 3 times we cooked with it. The bottom heating element doesn't turn on. I phoned customer support to file a claim for a replacement part that should have been. Covered under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The response was that we would get a callback within 48 hours. We received no callback. I emailed and no response. This is my final avenue.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear of the negative experience you have had, calling our support line. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all support staff is working remotely, therefore, all service has gone digital. Our Customer Support team will be happy to assist you, through our website, Masterbuilt.com. To expedite service, please ensure your product is fully registered.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Don't even try to get any help from Master Built. They totally don't care!! I will never purchase another master built grill or smoker! They only accept e mail no phone contact and answer emails when and i.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear it has not been a positive one. Our Customer Service team is working remotely, therefore, all phone support has been suspended. Warranty service is available and non-warranty parts are available for purchase through Masterbuilt.com. I will send a private message to better understand your, individual, circumstance.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Purchased new in May 23, 2019. Used half dozen times. Stopped heating up on May 11, 2020. Contacted customer service through their form and since May 12, have only heard from them once via email thanking me for my patience (form letter). It is June 6, 2020 and I finally gave up and spent $100 more on parts which they WILL happily provide you a link to. Be wary, buy from a company that will support you which Masterbuilt is not.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

All Masterbuilt products are warranted for one year from the date of purchase, with completed registration on file. Unfortunately, due to restrictions surrounding COVID-19 all operation is delayed. I am very sorry your unit was not serviced, under warranty. Please note, cases are handled in the order received, furthermore, additional messages, requesting update, will cause your request to be moved to the end of the queue. We are extending service if you contacted prior to warranty lapse.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Used smoker a few times and then the digital lights slowly stopped working. It has now gotten to the point that I can’t see the temperature or timer. Sent customer service a message on 1 May and then again a week later. Haven’t heard anything back. Terrible experience.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I bought my smoker on 9/14/19. The bluetooth is terrible. That is the reason why I bought the smoker. I am always resetting the bluetooth anytime I want to change the time or temperature. The temperature is not stable and nor is the temperature meat probe. I don’t even use it anymore. I submitted a case over 8 business days ago with no response. My case is **. I understand the delay due to COVID-19, but 8 business days and counting??? I am well within warranty and do not want this smoker anymore. I want to take it back to Lowe's. Lowes told me to contact Masterbuilt because I was still within warranty. I am waiting for a response on my case.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I purchased a Masterbuilt 40 Sportsman Elite at Farm and Fleet about two years ago. Used it about seven times and lost power to the controller. Email Masterbuilt the next day and they did get back to me the next day with some questions about did it get wet or are you using a extension cord and I replied no to all that. And they said it's not a warranty issue and that was it. Email them again and no response. I just need to get it fixed. Not happy with Masterbuilt and I will not recommend this smoker to anyone.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Michael. I am sorry for the lack of communication. Our Customer Service representatives are only able to send warranted parts. All paid parts must be purchased on our website, at Masterbuilt.com. If you are unable to locate the necessary part, many popular parts sites, such as appliancefactoryparts.com may be able to help.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I purchased a 20072612 Electric smoker that worked fantastic when the control unit wasn’t worn out. I tried to call and can get a damn live person to save my life. Emailed several times and never have received a response. WTF I need a replacement control unit for my smoker and cant find one because they say they are no longer available! WTF what is the part number for the one that will work for my smoker dang it. It should not be this freezing hard to get a simple replacement part!!!!

Good morning Chrisatopher,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. All call center operation has been suspended, due to COVID-19. At the moment, our Customer Service team is only able to handle warranty claims, I am sorry for the inconvenience and delay. All purchasable parts are available at Masterbuilt.com. Please note, the control panel, part number 9007120067 has been discontinued and all stock liquidated. Third party parts dealers may still have availability.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Used Grill 3 times. Fan or electronic thermostat quit working. Tried to contact customer service 3 times. Still no answer! I guess I should have bought a pellet grill. I spent over $500 for this grill and now it is a piece of junk.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. I am sorry to hear it is not functioning as designed. Our Customer Service team is working diligently to handle every case, in the order received however, is delayed due to restrictions surrounding COVID-19. Please note, each additional message marks your case new, restarting its queue time. Our team is here Monday-Friday, from 8am-5pm Eastern.

Original review: April 24, 2020

We paid a good amount for this one time only use smoker! Model 20075615 electric smoker. Customer service was nice enough but, basically said you're SOL! Why didn't they fix the problem they knew about? FYI- it's the control panel!???

Good afternoon Debra,

Thank you for taking time to review our smoker. I am sorry to hear it has died. Your unit has a one-year warranty, with completed registration filed. We would be happy to work with you to get the smoker functioning again. I will private message you, for more details.

Resolution response: April 17, 2020

They sent me a leg right away. Case closed.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Bought at Home Depot and assembled same day. Got about 7 steps in and realized I don't have the rear left leg. In fact I have two front left legs. I can't assemble it. Customer Service won't answer the phone because of coronavirus and the automated email immediately tells me to reply to the email with photos, but their email server is down. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna return it to home depot. Based on the reviews here and elsewhere I highly doubt I'll ever get the leg I need.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I purchased a Masterbuilt smoker approx. 2 years ago from Sams Club and everything was going fine until I took the cover off to bbq during New Years and found that the plastic keys on the control board came off I guess due to weather conditions. These keys control the temperature and cook time, anyway the sites that I have went on to find a replacement claim that the part is no longer offered by Masterbuilt. I've attempted to contact the company by phone but they have temporarily closed down due to the coronavirus and referred to the website but no reference to the part I need only different grates and heater coils, no control board which is main operation component to the smoker. Now I'm left with a $400.00 piece of art. Don't get me wrong. When it's working it can't be beat but for that type of money you better get an extended warranty or you won't have anything but a piece of junk.

Original review: April 6, 2020

I recently purchased the MES 440|S Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker directly from the Masterbuilt web site. I was surprised, that during the Coronavirus, they were able to get the smoker out within a week. So, the very next week it arrived.

When I unpacked it, unfortunately, it had damages, which I documented with photos and then I submitted to the company by using their long, online form. I uploaded the photos and added all the necessary information - Model, date purchase, place of purchase and serial number. The damages themselves were severe enough for me to be concerned. The door had fallen off and had considerable sized dents on it, the control panel had been broken, the side of the unit had been bent in, and worse, I believe the control panel was malfunctioning because of the damage. To my surprise, they contacted me the very next week, in about 48 hours. To my disappointment, they asked me to provide them with photos, serial number and model type - information I had already given them when I initially submitted the form. I once again uploaded the information. A few days later they contacted me again (March 31), and asked for photos, once again, to verify my claim. Since then, I’ve heard nothing from them. Not even a acknowledgement that they have received the necessary information. I realize that the world is experiencing something unprecedented in the COVID-19, however, due to the earlier responses, I believe their customer service department is indeed working.
Original review: March 17, 2020

I purchased this product a few years ago. I tried it twice and both times it cut out before finishing. I thought I must be doing something wrong. Since I was very busy with my business, I figured it was just me not having patience enough. So, I stored it for awhile and decided now that I am retired I would try it out again. So, with all the patience in the world, and a hunger for some smoked bovine flesh, I tried again. Bummer, the problem is clearly the smoker. Master-built it is not. Model#20072514 electric smoker; epic fail. Tom **.

Original review: March 16, 2020

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Model - MB20073519. Their App doesn't work. Does not connect most of the time and when it does it disconnects. Same issue using Android or Apple type devices. The LED display is too dim to read even indoors low light conditions. Customer service said they know of this and there is no fix on hand and nonbeing worked on or planned. Week engineering all the way around on this product causing a bad end user experience. I do not recommend this product.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

We bought this smoker in 2017 because we were tired of having to deal with the hard work involved with the traditional smoker. Last year we had to replace the heating element ($50). About the same time, the control panel went out, and since it's another $100 part and we were still able to use the remote, we did not order another one. Now the probe reads 310 degrees all the time. On Feb 6 I sent a note to Masterbuilt and received an automated response saying they would contact me within 24-48 hours (Case #: **). But I did not hear back. I sent another note today (Feb 15) and received another case number (**). I'm really disappointed, not only because of the issues, but because of no response.

Hello Beth,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry to hear that your message has not been responded to yet. Customer Service is working diligently to reach all submissions. Please send us a private message with your name, case numbers, model number and serial number, we can research this information for you and have a member of Customer Service reach out to you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

If you are thinking about buying anything from Masterbuilt, check out their FB page under community and look at all the complaints about customer service. If something goes wrong with your unit nobody will respond to you either by email or phone. I have waited on hold for an hour and a half now, listening to recordings on how the customer satisfaction is number one, sent emails, and have heard NOTHING. So basically if your smoker/bbq or whatever has issues you are on your own. I really regret buying anything from Masterbuilt.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Joseph, we are sorry to hear this. If we can assist you with your smoker, please send us a private message with your smokers model number, serial number and description of the issue. We are always willing to assist our customers.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Got a smoker on 12/23/19. One of the plastic feet was cracked. I contacted them as requested in the manual. Took a week for a response requesting the same information I already sent. Then 2 weeks later after sending requests to find out where the case was at. They asked for a copy of the receipt. It has been a month. I would recommend returning to the store. Their customer service is rude, slow and terrible!!!

Hello Robert,

We are sorry to hear this. If you still have the product in your possession and you still need assistance, please let us know. We do require proof of purchase for warranty claims as most companies do. We understand your frustration and hope that we can be of assistance. If you would, please contact us at www.masterbuilt.com.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I purchased a smoker stand to go with the electric smoker I received for Christmas. I open the package to assemble and notice that all of the assembly is present except for the 16 flange nuts I need to assemble the stand. I contacted Masterbuilt to inform them that the nuts were never included in the assembly packing...possible manufacturing and packaging problem. Went online and opened a case with them and have not heard anything back. This was on 1/3/2020. I have replied to the automated case response they send you twice and still have not heard back. Their automated response says, "Someone will contact you within two business days". We are well beyond this time frame. My family will never purchase a Masterbuilt product ever again. If they cannot handle a simple issue then it would be a nightmare to think of having an issue with the smoker. Stay away from this company!!

Hello Kwante,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry that this has been you experience. If you still need assistance with your hardware, please let us know by sending a private message or calling us at 1.800.489.1581. We are always willing to help however we can.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Updated on 02/14/2020: I bought the Masterbuilt elite 44” pellet smoker 12/22/19 and had nothing but issues and spent hours on the phone trying to get help. Masterbuilt finally responded to my first bad review here and agreed to ship me a new one. Well it was delivered and left curbside by FedEx. I documented its location and box. Upon assembly all the parts boxes inside the smoker were broke open. Appears like some were torn open when it was packed. Once unpacked I noticed the doors don’t shut and sag. I had to lift both doors to properly align them to shut. I left masterbuilt message on Facebook and told them it was the hinges welded on cabinet that were off.

They sent new doors and these fit even worse than the original ones. Now I have two smokers here that complete pieces of trash. Calling them is a joke and I wait hours on hold. They expect you to email and as in the case of the first smoker nobody replies. The only way Masterbuilt seems to care is by bad review and then they care. When I contacted them that fedex missed two delivery dates they never replied to me. I haven’t smoked anything since Christmas because these smokers are defective and use cheap parts. Never buy anything from Masterbuilt spend your money on a better product that don’t jerk you around on hold for hours or hide behind a private message. I have two smokers here to prove their products are junk.

Original Review: Bought this Masterbuilt pellet smoker before Xmas and on its first smoke the temp probe is 20 degrees off from controller. The smoker couldn’t maintain 225 degrees. After a long smoke 12hrs it suddenly went nuts and temps were all over. Ended up in a fire inside and burnt my meat probe up. Called the number and put on hold 45 mins. Tech started talking then hung up. Called back, waited over an hour and promised I wouldn’t get disconnected and they had my phone number. It happened again and no call back. I called a third time and this time waited 1 1/2 hrs on hold to get someone who told me to reset controller and sent me a probe. On Christmas eve I reset it and then fought it to get to temp. Once it was working it was fine until after the 12hrs and it did the same thing with temps and was on fire. Pellets were burning up into the hopper.

Tried several times to call and wait on hold. Once was about an hour then got a message they closed for the day. I finally sat on hold on day at work for an hour and finally got someone who sent a controller and I had to convince her there was a temp probe for the smoker and looked up the item for her. I did complain over the long wait times and was told it's normal. All I heard being on hold for hours was how important the customers are to them. Yeah that is bs. They hope you give up and don’t wait. I even emailed and never got a reply for service that way. I could spent a few extra and bought a Traeger. Now I have a smoker that's got two smokes on it and the igniter and auger has been burned. The fire bubbled paint on my smoker box. It was so hot. Buyer beware.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

It's shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I purchased a smoker from the Masterbuilt website, upon delivery I opened the top of the box to see a dent in the corner. I contacted their customer service through email and after a short exchange they would not respond back to me. At that point I started calling the customer service line and was told that they had no record of my purchase so they could not do anything for me. I called again with the order number and was told that the dent wasn't bad so they wouldn't do anything. At this point I had to tell them that I did not purchase a dented smoker and did not want a dented smoker. Now they are telling me that if I want to ship the smoker back at my cost they can exchange it. After weeks of dealing with poor customer service I think I'll just ship it back and go with a different brand.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses response

Thank you for bringing this experience to our attention. We are sorry to hear that it has not been positive. If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please contact our Customer Support Team at www.masterbuilt.com.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My family purchased a 2nd propane smoker for my brother-in-law for Christmas. We have had our 1st one for more than a year and have actually really enjoyed it. We ordered the 2nd one directly from the manufacturer instead on Amazon. It arrive with a huge dent that looked like it had been hit with a forklift. It was actually so bad that we could not assemble it if we wanted to.

I have now spent 2 weeks and many phone calls to customer service, all of which took at least an hour and a half on the phone. At first I was told that they would replace it but that I was responsible for the cost of shipping it back to them. Given the weight and size, this would have been very expensive! Then after a few more calls I was told to send in some pictures of the damage and from my description they would just send me a replacement part. That seemed very reasonable!

So I sent them the pictures and we all agreed (during my next 1.5 hour phone call to cust. service) that it was in fact damaged as I had described. I thought this would be the end of it and they would send me the replacement part as promised. I WAS WRONG! They then told me that customer "service" could not authorise this and that customer "support" would call me back within 48 hours to confirm this. That did not happen and I am still waiting to hear from them a full 2 weeks later.

In this time I have been given the runaround, had it implied that I was scamming them, and pretty much ignored. This was not a cheap product! However, in the future I will spend a little more and buy Weber products. Weber grills have, in my experience, the best customer service in the world. Do yourself a favor and stay away Masterbuilt! I would rather deal with Comcast!

Hello Brian,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are sorry to hear that it has not positive. We would like to work with you to complete you case. If you would, please send us a private message with your case information so that we can research your information. Thank you for your time, we hope to hear from you.

Masterbuilt Customer Support

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Customer service unknowledgeable. They have charged me for an item I never received and are telling me that it got shipped to me. Seven different tracking numbers on three boxes. Won’t return phone calls. Won’t return emails. The one phone call I did get a hold of them they said it might possibly be on back order that item I am telling them I never received and then the supervisor gets on the phone and tells me I received it. PayPal and my credit card are already in dispute with this company. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

We purchased a Masterbuilt smoker this month for Thanksgiving. Smoker arrived damaged, which was obviously packed and sent that way. Did the online form to open a case and they refuse to respond. Try to call, wait on hold forever. Try a different option, recording tells you to go online and fill out your form. I reply to the initial email they sent asking for our receipt (which I provided immediately) every day asking for a response. Nothing. I see that most all online reviews of their customer service is on par with my experience. We have never even used this smoker to review the product, which is a shame. But the customer service at Masterbuilt is terrible, as it is entirely nonexistent.

Hi Beth,

Thank you for letting us know of your experience thus far with our customer service department. Cases are responded to in the order they are received and if you are continuing to reply to your case, it does push your case further down in the list with each response. We always respond to cases within 24-48 business hours to assist our customers. If you could send us a private response with your case number. I will make sure that your case is expedited.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Purchased item on Oct 30 and received it on Nov 10. One latch was broken right out of the box. Emailed and called several times without a response. After informing them I was contacting the BBB and disputing the charge with my credit card company did they finally offer to replace the lid. At this point I didn’t want to deal with the company and asked for a refund that they are now willing to give me but won’t pay for the shipping. I don’t feel as though we should have to pay for shipping on sending this huge item back. Still waiting to see if the company will do the right thing. They lost this consumer for life.

Hello Rebecca,

We are sorry to hear this. If we can be of any further assistance to you, please send us a private message with your case information.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Purchased a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Hasn’t worked from the beginning, They won’t Honor their warranty. Terrible customer service. No quality control system in place. Nothing good to say about this company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I purchased a smoker 10/22/19, followed their directions very carefully when I went to season. It the unit shutdown on ERR4 and had some good flames coming from the crucible. MULTIPLE calls unanswered to their customer support that went nowhere, being put on hold to never get picked up. I finally got someone that answers calls, was provided a control panel that made things worst. Right now I have a $330 worthless piece of metal taking up space in my garage. I have been waiting for a call from one the managers for 2 weeks. This company is only interested in taking your money and not standing by their product. They honestly do not care. Stay away people.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

The control unit on my 30 inch Electronic Smoker started to fail just over a year. After turning of the smoker, it fails within 15-30 minutes and shuts off completely. I can get the smoker heated up, but it requires me to restart the smoker every 30 minutes since it keeps shutting off. I tried to call Masterbuilt and I have had lots of trouble getting the part. I talked to 2 representatives, one was helpful but was unable to do much since I didn't have proper information at the ready. The other rep was awful. She would not give me her name. She was very uninterested in helping me, and straight up hung up on me after I asked to speak with a supervisor. I am very unhappy with the customer support I have been given.

At this point, since I've wasted half my day on the phone with unhelpful reps. The only option is to file a warranty report online for which I am over a year so no value there. This is a really lousy product. The electronics are cheap and support from this company is useless. The physical construction is flimsy at best. I do NOT recommend this product at all. The company does not back up or support the product well. Clearly they know the products have issues.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Received a Masterbuilt Smoker 3 months ago as a gift. Went to assemble and it had two right legs in the box. Needed a left left. Call customer service. They required a receipt of purchase in order to send me the correct leg. Don't have a receipt as this was a gift. Policy is policy so I decide to purchase the correct leg. Took 2 weeks to get it ordered as they had to find the part number. Took 9 days to get it delivered. Open the package and it is the completely wrong part. Got a handle for a grill lid instead. Packing list has the right part number on it. Part they sent a totally different part number.

QC an issue at Masterbuilt also. Just waited on hold for 37 minutes to get the issue resolved and was told they will place another order for the part but cant ship it expedited. "We do do that". So another 9 days to wait. Keep in mind in 3 months I have not used this smoker once. Told the agent to forget it since i can't get it shipped for delivery tomorrow. Throwing all the pieces back in the box and bringing it back to home deport to exchange for a different brand. Worst customer service experience ever.

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience with our Customer Service Department and would like to assist you. If you would, please send us a private message with your order information and contact information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution response: July 30, 2020

It took a while but Masterbuilt came through and fixed my issue. I think they are starting to get ahead of these complaints and since the fix my smoker has worked well for about 5 months with lots of use. Thanks Masterbuilt.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Updated on 01/07/2020: I wrote a 1 star review on November 11th 2019 stating that my smoker was barely over a year old and the electronic controller malfunctioned and the unit would not work and that I was very disappointed in the poor quality of the product. On November 12 I was surprised to receive a response asking me to share more info.. Wow! They requested the exact model number and some details on my electronic controller if it had a 4 pin or 5 pin controller for which I promptly answered 5 Pin. Then they disappeared. That was November 18th and it is now January 7th and I have not heard back from them. I am reiterating my very poor rating this time not just for a poor quality product but now for extremely poor customer service.

Original review: The control unit on my Sportsmans Elite Electronic Smoker started to fail just over a year. Lights start to flash and if it does work it fails within 10-15 minutes and shuts off completely. I tried to call Masterbuilt and there is literally no way to talk with anyone. The only option is to file a warranty report online for which I am over a year so no value there. This is a really lousy product. The electronics are cheap and support from this company is useless. I do NOT recommend this product at all. The company does not back up or support the product well. Clearly they know the products have issues.

Hello.

If you would, please provide us with your smoker's model number serial number and your shipping address. If the control panel is in stock, I can process an order for a replacement to ship to you.

Jasmine

Resolution response: Nov. 9, 2019

Masterbuilt has stood up to the reputation that I read of, prior to purchasing my smoker. My unit had cracks in the door. They have taken care of this issue and I would not only recommend others to do business with them, but I would buy a Masterbuilt again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I have a 40” digital electric smoker. Purchased 12/31/17 I’ve used it seven times. Recently I was washing unit after using it. I noticed cracks in the door trim. There are three cracks coming from three screws holding a trim piece to the door that connects to the door hinge. After contacting customer support I was told to buy a new $100.00 door.

They stated since it’s out of warranty there’s nothing they will do. After searching the internet, I found this problem has happened to others as well. The cracks appear to be from over torque when assembled, or bad structural plastic. The unit has been well maintained. I feel the reason these cracks didn’t show the first year of use was because they were small. Now they are growing. I was informed to just use the product even if it has cracks. Customer support is lacking.

Masterbuilt Smokehouses Company Information