What is the difference between Liberty Home Guard and OneGuard?
Home repairs are often expensive and unexpected, but a home warranty can help offset these costs. It’s important to note that home warranties and home insurance are different, and warranties cover things insurance doesn't. However, finding the right warranty company can be hard. We’re looking at Liberty Home Guard and OneGuard side by side to help make your decision easier.
|Monthly premium cost||$64.99 to $74.99||$32 to $59|
|Average cost for combo plan||$74.99 (Total Home Guard)||$59 (HomeGuard)|
|Annual premium cost||$624.99 to $749.99||$384 to $708|
|Service call fee||$125||$69|
|Discounts available||One month free for each year of contract if paid upfront (up to 5 months free for 5-year contract)||Military discount|
|$64.99 to $74.99||$74.99 (Total Home Guard)||$624.99 to $749.99||$125||One month free for each year of contract if paid upfront (up to 5 months free for 5-year contract)|
|$32 to $59||$59 (HomeGuard)||$384 to $708||$69||Military discount|
|Plans available||Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, Total Home Guard||ApplianceGuard, SystemGuard, HomeGuard|
|Combo plan covered items||15||18|
|Service recall period||60-day workmanship warranty||30 days|
|Availability||45 states||3 states|
|Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, Total Home Guard||8||7||15||60-day workmanship warranty||45 states|
|ApplianceGuard, SystemGuard, HomeGuard||9||11||18||30 days||3 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||Add-on|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Ductwork||Only for covered HVAC units|
|Garage door openers|
|Only for covered HVAC units|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||4.3|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information accurate as of publishing.
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard gives you 24/7 access to an online portal and claims center. Coverage is available in all states except California, Illinois, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Liberty Home Guard plans
Liberty Home Guard offers three home warranty plans to fit varying needs and budgets:
- Appliance Guard: The Appliance Guard plan provides coverage for kitchen and home appliances. This includes your washer, dryer, ranges, ovens, cooktops, exhaust fans, refrigerator, built-in microwaves, garbage disposals, garage door openers and ceiling fans.
- Systems Guard: The Systems Guard plan is for major home systems only. Coverage includes your heating system, air conditioning system, plumbing system, electrical system, ductwork and water heaters.
- Total Home Guard: The Total Home Guard plan combines the Appliance Guard and Systems Guard packages.
There are also 30 add-on coverage options available for any of these plans.
What Liberty Home Guard customers say
Customers have pretty positive things to say about Liberty Home Guard on our site. Many say the claims process is easy and that technicians are dispatched quickly. Other customers are impressed with the company’s willingness to learn and improve. However, frustrated customers say the long claims and repair times can be difficult and that claims are often denied.
OneGuard offers home warranty and service plans in Arizona, Nevada and Texas. It has different plans for real estate professionals, homebuyers, home sellers and existing homeowners. Its offerings can vary by state as well.
For existing homeowners, OneGuard has three package options — one for appliances, one for systems and a combination plan that covers both:
- ApplianceGuard: ApplianceGuard coverage includes your refrigerator (with ice maker and dispenser), dishwasher, range/oven/cooktop, built-in microwave, garbage disposal, instant hot water dispenser, trash compactor, washer and dryer. It also covers maintenance services like re-keying, garage remote reprogramming, carpet cleaning, pest control, dryer vent cleaning, termite treatment, lawn maintenance and window cleaning.
- SystemGuard: SystemGuard covers home systems like your air conditioning, heating, plumbing (and plumbing stoppages), water heater, electrical system, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuum, smoke detectors, doorbells, garage door opener, equipment disposal, permits and code upgrades. Additionally, it covers services like air conditioning and heating tuneups, garage door tuneups, re-keying, garage remote reprogramming, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, pest control and lawn services.
- HomeGuard: HomeGuard covers all the systems and appliances covered in the ApplianceGuard and SystemGuard plans.
There are also several add-on options to cover things like pools, additional appliances and preexisting conditions. However, not all plans can receive every add-on.
What OneGuard customers say
Customers rate OneGuard highly for its customer service and professional technicians. Customers also say the claims process is easy and quick. Negative reviewers have said that calling customer service results in long hold times and that claims have been denied, though.
Bottom line: Liberty Home Guard or OneGuard?
Liberty Home Guard and OneGuard both offer similar options for home warranties, but OneGuard has a much smaller service range. On the plus side, OneGuard offers maintenance services as part of its warranty packages, and it’s a little bit cheaper.
- Liberty Home Guard is best for people who don’t live in Texas, Nevada or Arizona.
- OneGuard is best for people in Arizona, Texas or Nevada who are looking for maintenance services rolled into their home warranty coverage.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.