Liberty Home Guard vs. Home Warranty of America
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between Liberty Home Guard and Home Warranty of America?
Both Liberty Home Guard and Home Warranty of America provide home service contracts, which pay for repairs and replacements of household appliances and systems when they stop working. We compared the companies’ plans, premiums, service call fees, add-on coverages and customer reviews to help you decide which company is right for you.
|Monthly premium cost||$64.99 to $74.99||$43 to $55.31|
|Average cost for combo plan||$74.99 (Total Home Guard)||$55.31 (Premier Plus)|
|Annual premium cost||$624.99 to $749.99||$516 to $663.72|
|Service call fee||$125||$75 or $100|
|Discounts available||One month free for each year of contract if paid upfront (up to 5 months free for 5-year contract)||Not specified|
|$64.99 to $74.99||$74.99 (Total Home Guard)||$624.99 to $749.99||$125||One month free for each year of contract if paid upfront (up to 5 months free for 5-year contract)|
|$43 to $55.31||$55.31 (Premier Plus)||$516 to $663.72||$75 or $100||Not specified|
|Plans available||Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, Total Home Guard||Premier, Premier Plus|
|Combo plan covered items||15||20|
|Service recall period||60-day workmanship warranty||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor|
|Availability||45 states||50 states|
|Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, Total Home Guard||8||7||15||60-day workmanship warranty||45 states|
|Premier, Premier Plus||10||10||20||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor||50 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||Add-on||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||3.7|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
Liberty Home Guard
Liberty Home Guard provides home warranties in all states except California, Wyoming, Washington, Wisconsin and Illinois. Customers can purchase a monthly, yearly or multiyear contract. Claims can be filed online or by phone 24/7. Choose systems coverage, appliance coverage or combo coverage, plus optional add-ons. LHG has a network of 10,000 technicians who go through a 10-point screening process. All repairs are backed by a 60-day workmanship warranty.
Liberty Home Guard plans
- Appliance Guard: Appliance Guard covers your washer, dryer, kitchen refrigerator, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, garbage disposals, range/oven/cooktops, ceiling and exhaust fans and garage door openers.
- Systems Guard: Systems Guard covers air conditioning, heating, ductwork, plumbing, the electrical system and water heaters.
- Total Home Guard: Total Home Guard combines everything in Appliance Guard and Systems Guard.
- Optional coverage: LHG offers additional coverage for pool and spa, central vacuum, stand-alone freezer, re-key, carpet cleaning, electronics, second refrigerator, free-standing ice maker, generator, water dispenser line, sump pump, additional spa, limited roof leak, gutter cleaning, water softener, swamp cooler, trash compactor, wine cooler, plumbing fixtures, instant hot water dispenser, well pump, septic pumping, lighting fixtures, pest control, lawn sprinkler, ejector pump, ice maker, saltwater pool, grinder pump and reverse-osmosis system.
What Liberty Home Guard customers say
Liberty Home Guard has a good rating overall on ConsumerAffairs. Homeowners who have service contracts through LHG praise the company’s reliability and mention fast response times and successful repair experiences. They say it’s easy to reach customer service when they have claims or questions. Some reviewers are unhappy with denied or unresolved claims, and a few discuss having issues with cancellation.
Home Warranty of America
Home Warranty of America provides yearly service contracts for homeowners in all 50 states. Customers can make a claim 24/7 online or over the phone and pay as little as $75 per service call. Choose from Premier or Premier Plus coverage and select from a variety of add-on protections. HWA uses licensed, local technicians and offers guarantees on parts (90 days) and labor (30 days).
Home Warranty of America plans
- Premier: The Premier plan provides basic coverage for your dishwasher, built-in microwave, range/oven/cooktop, plumbing system, heating system and furnace, water heater, trash compactor and garage door systems. It also covers the washer and dryer, kitchen refrigerator, garbage disposal, electrical system, ductwork, permanent sump pump, doorbell, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuum, alarm systems and whirlpool bathtub.
- Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan covers everything in the Premier plan, with coverage of more components and parts on certain items. It also adds coverage for the air conditioning system.
- Optional coverage: Customers can purchase add-ons for roof leak repair, pool/spa, saltwater pool, stand-alone freezer, second refrigerator, septic system, septic tank pumping, stand-alone ice maker and well pump. The Green Plus add-on gives you Energy Star-certified replacements, and the Orange Plus add-on covers re-keying, water softener, code violations and permits up to $250, toilet replacement up to $600 and removal of defective equipment.
What Home Warranty of America customers say
Home Warranty of America has significantly more reviews on ConsumerAffairs and a slightly less favorable rating. Themes among 5-star reviews include professional and efficient handling of claims, helpful customer service, competent contractors and good value for the cost of a plan. There are some homeowners who mention delayed or unsuccessful repairs and problems with customer service.
Bottom line: Liberty Home Guard or Home Warranty of America?
Liberty Home Guard and Home Warranty of America each offer home warranty plans nationwide. Home Warranty of America’s plans cover both systems and appliances and tend to be less expensive and have a lower service call fee. Liberty Home Guard plans give you the choice to cover appliances only, systems only or both. If you’re looking for add-on coverages, you can’t go wrong with either company; LHG has around 30 options, and HWA has both single add-ons and packages. Liberty Home Guard has a slight edge in reviews on ConsumerAffairs.
- Liberty Home Guard is best for customers who want protection for appliances only or systems only. It’s also good for homeowners who want highly specialized add-on coverage, like for pest control, gutter cleaning or electronics.
- Home Warranty of America is best for homeowners who want to spend less and want coverage of both appliances and systems as part of a basic plan.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.