LG Air Conditioner

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I live in an apartment that my son owns and two of two the rooms each have an LG window air conditioner/heater in it. They are both about two years old and I have 1 of those years enjoyed them perfectly. Last week 1 of them stopped working so I needed a repairmen whom promptly came (within two days). I live in southwest Florida. The repairmen was from LG and was very professional and courteous and provided great work.

My problem happened when I was told that the reason my unit stopped working was because of a piece of Styrofoam that came loose from around one of the coils that apparently is in place for transportation of the unit but does not get removed because the installers don't even know it is in place so the piece of Styrofoam came loose and blocked the fan and hence the problem. That cost me a services call of 192.60 dollars. I do keep the unit clean. I take the screen out once a month and wash it. I ask is that not a problem that I (the consumer) should pay so dearly?

My experience with LG (Lucky Goldstar) products has been consistently poor. Their air conditioners vibrate and are noisy. I also purchased a Goldstar dehumidifier that had to be tossed because the membrane panel went bad. When I was on vacation in Mexico, the room had an LG wall unit that, big surprise, vibrated and made different noises! Is it so hard to manufacture an air conditioning unit that runs quietly? I would avoid purchasing any products from this company as they are of a consistently inferior nature. LG is quite the contrast to Samsung, another Korean corporation that makes high quality, durable products.

I purchased AC last year. I lodged a complaint in customer service during warranty period. Engineer came and found product damage. Engineer said this will be replaced as soon as we receive the product. I called many times. No response. After two months, they said I need to pay since it is out of warranty. How we can trust such a fraud company. They do pricing the products including the charges of warranty. Please careful.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The LG Company has started corresponding with me. It is being resolved

Narendra of Charlotte, NC on

Original Review

Worst experience when I bought the LG Portable AC Model 1111WXRY1 from local Home Depot on 04/02/2012. Just one week before completing one year, the cooling stopped. I called LG Customer Service on 03/27/2013 when the unit was well within one year warranty. I was given name and number of a Technician. The technician came and measured the outflow air temperature and suggested that either Compressor is bad or Freon is out. I followed up with LG after few days on 04/01/2013 and I was told they have not heard anything from technician. Upon my calling Technician, I was told that he cannot fix the AC.

I talked to customer Service again on 04/07/2013 and gave all my information again and the Rep gave me same technician number despite my telling her that they are not ready to do repair work. Thereafter, I called twice on 04/09/2013 and my phone was disconnected. So, I went to the Home Depot from where I bought this unit. The manager at Home Depot was kind enough to call the LG Customer service on my behalf. He spoke to the Representative who promised that the technician will call next day and issue will be resolved. Nobody called me next day. When I called technician, I was told, not to call him again. Reluctantly, this piece is lying in my garage. I have all dates and time and the person who I speak to are available. I could not give my review earlier due to some family issues.

I purchased the portable A/C unit LP0814WNR from Lowe's this summer to cool one room that is not connected to central A/C. After 4 weeks the fuse got tripped and after that the A/C did not start working anymore. The error code E1 came up and the manual that clearly states "LG" asks to call the customer service with an LG customer number. My first call to them resulted in confusion as they were not familiar with the differences between the model, type and serial number. The first person I talked to told me that my request to repair was forwarded and I would receive a call shortly. After three days nothing happened and I called the service center again and was told a repair was scheduled for in about 10 days and I was given a phone number. The end of the story was that after he asked for me to take a picture of the A/C and send it he stated that he would not come because the machine did not say "LG" on it. The fact that Aeon is an LG product did not change his mind.

The call center was surprised to learn that this "service center" was not working out and suggested somebody else who is not repairing portable A/C though they repair other LG products. I got three other numbers from "service centers" and was told to start calling them at 9 am next day. I ended up calling Lowe's where I had purchased the machine and because I bought it less than 30 days ago I was able to return it for a full refund. I would have liked to get it repaired but this was not working out. Everybody at the service center (which is located in the Philippines) was very friendly and tried their best but they are not familiar with those "service centers" in the USA, which are basically contractors or other businesses that repair LG products. The Aeon product webpage also has a customer phone number but they do not even pick up and once I was waiting for more than 5 minutes the call got disconnected. I will not buy a LG product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

I bought a 12,000 portable air conditioner in July of 2015 and used it for awhile and it seems to work fine then, but in May of 2016 I hooked it up and it was not cooling off my rooms which was the kitchen and living room. So brought back to Home Depot in June before the warranty expired and they exchange it for another one 12,000 btu. I finished talking to a tech from LG because the 2nd one is doing the same as the first one did. They will not warranty the 2nd one. Only on the first which the warranty has expired. So I am stuck with a air conditioner that does not cool the rooms. I will never buy anything from LG. They do not work with you at all or stand by their products.

Purchased the LG Model: LP1415SHR Heating and A/C Unit. It leaked, then leaked again, then leaked again - flooding my floor. Had a tech come out three times and each time it (of course) was user error - they will NEVER take responsibility. The first time supposedly it wasn't level. The second time the pan is small and needs to be emptied more often, is all. The third time it was clogged. NOW the Temperature Buttons do not work, so I have an A/C that does not cool below the standard setting of 72 Degrees.

I am home-bound and on disability so this was a huge purchase for me. I sent a couple of the upper management and the board or director's emails and NEVER heard back. I am not a spiteful person, but I do take a little pleasure that people who read this will KNOW what a crappy product and an even crappier company LG is BEFORE they spend their money with them like I did.

Window unit LG model LW7013HR - I have bought 3 units within 2 years. It worked good the first year, but after a year They had a problem with capacitor twice, I had replace it. The compressor shut off before it reached the set point. Two units acted that way. I would not recommend for Unit LG to anybody. Thank you.

I purchased LG Portable Air Conditioner 10,000 BTU 5/15/14 from Home Depot. A couple of months ago I noticed it didn't function well. I was having heart problems, breathing problems. Throwing up everyday, nausea, dizziness as it progressed. Two or three weeks ago I started smelling a men's public restroom smell like pee. I live in my room with my wife due to my dialysis status. I need air. I called Home Depot repair. They connected me to the technician. I described the smell and my symptoms. He told me that he could tell me right now what was wrong. He said it smells like cat pee and it showed E4. It was the Freon added smell when Freon is leaking.

He told me that it would be 12 more days before they could come out but he would work on a better date. I don't have a problem with Home Depot. I took it to Home Depot and they exchanged it for me. I looked up the health problems associated with from Freon leak. They were what I was experiencing in my small room. I had no idea that a Freon leak causes heart problems along with breathing and dizziness problems. I was severely dizzy everyday and fell three or four times, and stumbled everywhere. The new machine has clean air and I am slowly improving. Consumer beware.

LG LPO815WNR. I have say that my experience with the LG portable air conditioner that I purchased has been trouble since day 1. I called customer service after I hooked everything up and complained that I was having trouble with a loud banging noise coming from inside the unit (sounded like rocks bouncing around inside). Let them know that the sound was not as bad when unit was set on low. She was unable to answer my questions but did send me an email the next day asking me a few questions. I responded but did not receive a reply.

Called a few day later and got someone that was obviously not in the US. Went over my complaint again. He asked me where my unit was. I told him it was in my beauty shop at my house and he told me straight out that voided my warranty on the unit because I was using it in a business??? I told him that it was at my house, in a small room??? How could it be voided. I knew that I was screwed and that LG had NO intentions of helping me with the problem. PLEASE ~ DO NOT do business with them. They are not sympathetic and will look for ways to void your warranty, even if it is not working when you first plug it in. I learned my lesson the hard way.

The unit is 13 months old and the fan is loose on the blower motor shaft. This caused a vibration that shook the unit. Looks like the keeper rusted away as has some of the shaft the fan is attached to.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY LG PRODUCTS...WORST PEOPLE AND SERVICE. We just bought a brand new split AC one week ago from a LG showroom in Dasarahalli near Jalahalli Cross, Bangalore. Their true service came into light once the booking was done. For shipping the AC to our home, they took 2 days time but before booking, they had mentioned just a few hours after our booking it will be delivered. On repeated calls to the sales person of that showroom, they delivered the AC and initially they had not mentioned any kind of extra charges but once the delivery was done, all the extra charges were told, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Now, for the installation they do not have technicians and there is only one person who is always busy with phone calls more than his work and never responds to the calls. It's been more than a week and yet the AC is still to be installed. The LG showroom sales people are least bothered about this even after we calling them up continuously. Everyday they give us lame reasons or provide us with contact number of people (according to them the higher authority of LG - which I believe they are bluffing) who are even more careless, arrogant individuals and fit for nothing.

LG's own representatives are stating that our service is like this only and we can't do anything. How cheap is that. Now, they are telling us to find someone from Quikr and get it installed by ourselves and they pay the amount to us. Cheap, very cheap. "LG - Life's Good". If you provide such services and hire such representatives, then life will become bitter and your company will soon be under loss for sure. WORST PEOPLE AND SERVICE.

I bought Window AC Model no - LWA3GP3A1.ANLG in last October. It's making too much noise, even we can't sleep in that noise. I raised complaints to area manager but he is not helping to solve issue. His team fail to resolve issues and now they are saying we can't change AC, it's replaceable in 7-8 days. Company person not solved issue and now they are even responding.

I purchased an LG window air conditioner LW8015ER in May 2015. By August 2015 the control panel on/off switch was not working properly and was hard to press on and off. I put in a repair request and they entered it in the system. First the confirmation came over by email that it was a Microwave that I was asking for repairs. I called them and told them it was not. They had the model number and the SSN of the unit and they supposedly fixed it. Wells appliance came to look at the unit, when they arrived, the technician said they had me down for a microwave but he said clearly they had the wrong information because the numbers matched the air conditioner.

Wells put called in a replacement part for the control panel. Weeks later I called and they had to put the call in again because it got lost. Weeks later the part finally comes in and the tech comes to put in the part. He can't figure out how to put it in, makes a few calls after trying and cuts himself in the meantime. Runs the unit and it sounds awful. Much, much worse than it ever ran. He said he was going to call in to get the unit replaced. From here it goes downhill.

I have made several calls to Wells and LG, they both tell me to talk to the other and I get the runaround. Here it is February 1, 2016 and I made another call to LG, they are doing nothing about this problem, they see no request from the tech to have this replaced, they want to send Wells back out. NO WAY! Both companies should be ashamed of themselves for this poor treatment they call "Customer Service". I have many LG Products and this will be the last one I buy if this is how they treat their customers. Seems like they are waiting for the warranty to run out so they don't have to repair or replace this poorly made product. They are now looking for a different service company to come out to look at the unit. They told me it will take 5 to 10 business days until I hear back. This is what they always tell me and I never hear back from them. Do not buy this product. If it breaks you will never get it fixed.

Attempted many times to obtain a refund for this defective product. Last contact was an appointment with their rolling technicians, had requested a specific time to be here - No call at the specific time, had to cancel appointment. Previous tech visit could not repair unit on the spot. Lost use of this air conditioner during the hottest month - August. So disappointing - words cannot describe. BBB has been involved also (to assist with getting a response from LG). I could go on and on...

Point here is, this product needs to be removed from sale - period. This is a defective product. It shuts off the compressor - leaving you with No Cooling... When it functioned, the heat from the exhaust tube alone, defeats the cooling. Additionally: Air-Conditioner pulls cool room air through the unit and out the exhaust tube, not efficient use of electricity, or a ideal cooling method. This unit needs to be taken off the market. Thanks for your time and reading. Great days everyone. I feel this product experience has been the right up there with the worst purchase that I can recall; ever.

LG portable AC-motel LP0814WNR (8000 BYU) - Purchased the unit in Oct 2014 at the tail end of a heatwave in Los Angeles. The unit is rated for a 200 sq. ft room. My bedroom is 150 sq. ft. It seemed to cool pretty good during that week or two. However in July-Aug 2015 I found it took 2-3 hours to drop the room 5-7 degrees. With the room starting at 83-85 degrees it took 3 hours to get the temp down to 79-78 degrees. I've had LG technicians out 3 times and all they do is measure the outlet air temp and claim the unit is operating satisfactorily. They refuse to address its inability to cool the room effectively. It looks like I wasted $300. Be cautious of LG products.

The LG Model L 214 GXR worked just fine when we got it last summer. We plug it up this year and water run out the bottom of the unit. We cannot find where it is coming from. Oh well. Good for one year and that is it. We will not buy another. Too much money for so little use.

Called on June 23 about the mode on the ac. Had to send the picture of receipt to show under warranty. Took a month to get Expert Appliance to look at it. Came and said I needed a new mode. There is no part number to give LG to order it. LG said "Sorry will check on it tomorrow." It is August in Florida and hot. Paid over 600.00 dollars for this unit and still no part and LG is no help. Came home and my house about burnt down because of this. Very angry and nobody helps.

Picture this - sleeping in your room on a peaceful summer night, suddenly waking up in shock that your AC owned for two years is catching on fire. If it weren't for the smell of the smoke or loud booming sounds two people could have been hurt.

Bought a LG air conditioner (LW8014ER) from Home Depot September 2014. August 1, 2015 it locked up. On Aug 4 a technician arrived, decided it needed a replacement part he didn't have. Removed the unit from the window, stored it in our garage, and then ceased to answer our phone calls. After multiple phone calls to LG customer service, they denied authorization to return the unit. They said the part had already been ordered (?), and then refused to answer where they were located, or where the part was being shipped from/to. They also refused to tell us how long this process would take.

In the meantime, we're without an air conditioner in the hottest part of summer. Don't guess we'll need one 'round Christmas, which is about when I expect LG to make good--although I could be wrong. NEXT Christmas is a strong possibility. After reading hundreds of reviews, seems like this unit spends more time in ICU than in the window. Shame on LG. Hope every consumer who bought one makes as much noise as this useless air conditioner. Don't have an order #, but here's the serial #:403CXEAC0612, Model #LW8014ER.

Ease of use is excellent, but alas, the product itself is illogical in that it produces as much heat inside as it tries to cool, thus recycling the heat it produces. Behaves like an elaborate fan with many different controls so that it gives the impression it works as an air conditioner (which it really isn't). Sad, because for elders who cannot lift window A/C's, no lifting is technically required to install it. But lifting is required to empty it if water condenses in the bottom (as it claims to). Too new to collect any on any of the 3 machines purchased, except 1 which gave error message as FL (full), after it rattled, and shut down, repeatedly! So, very confusing machine, as it operates like no other window A/C ever owned... potential? But no cigar! Not cheap, but not expensive for Boston summers... recommended for Southern U.S. Weather? NO WAY!

The LG air conditioner I purchased less than 3 years ago is terrible. I have to physically remove the water 4 times a day because the unit overheats and turns off. I called LG and they do not offer help and their support staff reads off a computer screen and don't know how to assist customer properly. When I asked to speak to a manager, they hang up on me. I spoke to agent ** which did not assist nor answered my concerns. I will never buy an LG product again. This company does not back up their products.

Portable air conditioner model No. LP1111WNR,LP1311WNR - I purchased the unit a year and a half ago and just recently plugged the unit in. The unit functions normally for a time and very loud I might add and then begins spewing water and ice through the cooling vent instead of cold air. Finally the fuse blew. Less than an hour of use. Something seriously wrong with this unit. Seems I am not alone with this problem. Wish I had checked out their rep before buying. They gave me a service center off island about 15 miles away. I will bring it there and probably leave it there as well. From what I have read there is no service for this company's products that is reliable. Consensus seems to be that LG is junk.

If you're in a store and considering buying an LG air conditioner... STOP and DON'T DO IT! No, SERIOUSLY. It's not just the money factor. I am trying to save you from customer service from the depths of Hades. From being on the phone with idiots who don't speak English until you have a headache of all headaches although you have refrained from banging your head. And you WILL want to bang your head. I am trying to save you from potential heat stroke.

We purchased one last summer at Home Depot in mid-June and the compressor went out mid-August. They sent a technician and we told him, it's the compressor. He ordered another part. Came back a week later and the brain box he'd ordered, surprise! Didn't fix the problem. After talking to "supervisors" in their service department who said it was our breaker box he left without fixing it. So we spent the money to replace breakers we KNEW were not defective but had to be replaced before they would return.

After suffering through an Alabama winter which those locally know does require a/c from time to time to be comfortable as we often have a week of unseasonable weather thrown at us... They finally sent a technician back in May. (I requested the service call in MARCH as my cousin from across the country was visiting in April). At the May service call (the 3rd ) the first "supervisors" at 1-800-we-no-speak-English kept insisting to the technician on site that it was our breaker box (again) but the technician, God love him, pushed it and got another "supervisor" to listen to the compressor shut off over the phone and FINALLY they agreed it was the compressor. So they replaced it.

Here it is July and the compressor is out again. This is our forecast: Heat Advisory Statement as of 3:10 AM CDT on July 21, 2015. Heat advisory remains in effect until 10 PM CDT this evening... *Temperatures... Highs 94 to 99. Heat index... Maximum values 100 to 107 degrees. *Impacts. Increased risk of heat-related illnesses including heat exhaustion and heat stroke. The moral of this story is do not buy from LG unless you want to live through miserable summers and go through the headaches of their warranty/customer service departments. FTR this was a $400 unit not a little cheapie unit. I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ANOTHER LG PRODUCT OF ANY TYPE EVER AGAIN.

I have purchased an LG refrigerator, which lasted less than 2 years and a few years later an LG 1400 but portable a/c unit. I did not purchase the extended warranty with the refrigerator, so I was SOL. When I purchased the a/c, it started leaking (all over my wood floors) within 2 weeks of using it. I called LG, they finally sent a repair person, that was located over an hour away from where I live. I took the day off to be home, when the repairman got here, he told me he had never worked on one of these portable a/c units. But he gave it a shot.

He was here for 2 hours, said it was fixed, something about the float switch not working, said it was fixed and left. I WAS grateful, it was during a week-long heatwave. So, after he left I turned it back on, and within 20 min it was leaking all over my wood floors again. I called LG again, and they said that they would replace it. It came 3 days later. This is now the unit I have, it worked last summer, but again, it is now leaking all over the wood floors. I have never had an LG appliance product that has performed as it should or as it says it will. And they were both very expensive, with nice features. It's a shame. I feel LG should stick to their electronics and stay the ** out of appliances. I know, I will NEVER BUY another one of their appliances.

It has been repaired 3 times since summer of 2013 that l purchase it. Up till now the air condition is not cool.

I purchased 3 window units from Home Depot. The 2 ton 220 unit which was installed by a cert. AC man. I did not have a 220 plug so he wired it into my old central ac unit's electric box. The unit gave me problems right away with freezing up, then the plastic fan broke. The ac man did not have this replacement part. I paid over $500 for this unit for one summer use. THEN in my dumbness, I went to Home Depot and bought another one. Same thing with the freezing up. Had checked by 2 ac men and they just said LG were poor quality and they see it a lot with them. So another unit that didn't even last the summer. The 2 smaller ones I purchased were 8,000 but they lasted 2 seasons but would still freeze and spit ice when it rained. Yes every time it rains the smaller ones spit water then ice.

So I will NEVER EVER buy ANYTHING made with LG name on it. I wasted so much money. I work damn hard for my money to just throw away like that. LG would not warrant the large units due to being wired into an a/c breaker box. It was supposed to just plug in the wall. Yeah right! How many homes are equipped with 220 wiring except for clothes dryers? It was a perfectly good install and very safely done by professionals. DON'T BUY LG ANYTHING!!!

Portable air conditioner LP1014WNR - Bought this less than a year ago. Worked for the 3 months during the summer.... Obviously do not need in the winter in Minnesota. Plugged it back in the spring, does not cool. Been on the phone with LG numerous times. I've gotten nothing but a runaround from them. They can't seem to find anybody to fix portable air conditioners. So LG tells me that they will send one of their own technicians out. So I take the day off of work, but they don't show up and they don't call back. I called LG and got more runarounds. I've lost my patience. Do not buy one of their air conditioners! I also have a window unit that I've had for two and now that has stopped working. I just don't recommend any LG products.

LG Portable AC Model # LP1213GXR - I purchase this at the end of June 2013. It's been used a total of about 3 weeks since it was new. I took it out today for the first time in 2015 today, plugged it in, turned it on, it blows warm air only, compressor does not work. LG has no repair depot less than 400-500 miles away. Can you imagine what it would cost to ship something that heavy that far away and back? What this amounts to is $550.00 for three weeks of air conditioning. Not impressed and will strongly not recommend any LG product to anyone, ever again. LG was not helpful, at all.

We got two LG room air conditioners Model LT0810CR, which are sleeve through the wall style units, at considerable expense and had them professionally installed. They worked for one season and then basically completely stopped working. Out close to $1,500. Will never by LG air conditioners again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LG specializes in bringing the latest technological advancements into consumer’s homes. They sell portable, window and wall air conditioners along with accessories to improve your air conditioner’s accessibility and performance.

• Live chat: Get your questions answered fast from your laptop, tablet or mobile device using the live chat feature. Send an email if you can’t wait around for a chat reply, and you’ll receive a prompt response.
  • Promotions: LG frequently has promotions on their appliances, so be sure to check their website before buying your new air conditioner to see if your purchase will qualify for a discount, rebate or other promotion.
  • 24-hour timer: Many of LG’s wall air conditioners feature a 24-hour timer so you can pre-determine how you warm or cool you want your home. Cool it off before you leave for work and then again just before you come home so you are always comfortable without spending a fortune on energy costs.
  • Remote control access: Control your wall, window or portable air conditioner from across the room with convenient remote control access.
  • Dehumidification: Opt for a portable air conditioner with dehumidification technology to reduce indoor humidity levels while cooling off your indoor space, creating a more overall comfortable environment.
  • Best for LG’s air conditioners are best for homeowners and apartment dwellers who are looking for portable, window or wall air conditioning units.

Compare Air Conditioners