1.34/5
Based on 107 reviews that contain star ratings

122 LG Air Conditioner Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We purchased a 2 unit LG duct-free split system on April 15, 2016. The recommended filter cleaning is once a month. Each unit only operates about 8 hours a day. When the filters are removed, there is very little particulate matter on the screen. We even added the recommended 3M filters inside the interior of each unit. However, we have had to have the plastic blower wheels removed and cleaned because of extreme dirt and grime attached to the wheel.

This servicing has been done twice now for the interior units at considerable expense because we were told this problem is a result of our failure to keep the filters clean. Even our installer admits that we have a clean house. Along with the filthy blower wheels, we've also had the bedroom unit leak water inside the house on our bed several times. I am thoroughly disgusted with this LG product and wish we had never gotten involved with this brand. It kind of goes along with a LG television that was less than 2 years old that just went to a black screen one night with no warranty left for this problem. Believe me, we will not be buying anything produced by LG again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I bought a very high end portable LG air conditioner and it has leaked inside the unit since the first day I bought it. I called and they sent a service technician who told me I needed to just put a hose on it so the water could drain out. I DID THAT. Guess what? It leaks from inside the unit even with hose on. Every night I have to turn machine on its back to get the water that sitting inside the unit or it just will start spilling all over my floor. I can't get inside as it sealed but you can see where it drips from a cylinder.

When I called back they said it was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do... They told me to contact SoCal tech and when I did they said they don’t work on those anymore for LG. Probably because they are so poorly made. I paid over 400 bucks and the thing has never worked and they won't help me. And they can't even provide a paid service technician... So I either mop up water every day or buy a new one. BUYER BEWARE.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I purchased my air conditioner for my Grandson bedroom, and around 2017 I received a notice from LG about a recall on my unit. Model Lp0814nr. I contacted LG and the services came. Took last than two minutes and was done. I run the unit for very little time after in 2017. In 2018 I set up the unit and with just a few day I got an error code (E2) display on the panel, did all that is require but nothing will allowed unit to start again.

I call LG very nice at first, was told that I will be getting a technician on the 8-11-2018, was call right back was told my unit is no longer in a recall, that was fix in 2017 and that the services call have been cancel, I was told after a lengthy conversation that a new unit will be sent to me that I must sent my unit to them, that was a lie (No record of any of the conversation). 8-11-2018 I received a call from the technician. He is on his way, I call him back explained what was told to me on the telephone about a new unit been sent in the near future, so he never came. Shortly after LG call me ask why? I explained because what I was told by another Customer services person but no notes.

Another appointment was set, for 8-14-2018, I wrote to the company via email, was told that that appointment was cancel because my recall was fix, however I never had a problem with my air conditional only after that so call recall was fix. I was direct again to call the recall center with no luck so here I am today, complaining about an item that it supposed to work but is not. I sent another email today. But to be honest all that I wanted was to have my unit fix. Nothing also, LG is a very big company and there were 3 air conditioner in a recall list. I wonder how many customer are having this same issue. I thought that someone must be aware of this since this company have a call center but the customer services never have notes about the callers. That is my experience.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Portable air conditioner - The manual states that there is internal evaporation and no draining is required. This is false. No drain hose is provided although there is a drainage port. Water drains down the inside onto the floor. I called for help in ordering a drain hose. Customer service is worse even than the product. I was told to go on Amazon and choose a hose for myself. Never will I buy another LG product.

Original review: July 2, 2018

LG Mini Split - Mini Dual Ductless HVAC customer tech support. The worst I have ever seen. I would not buy this product no matter how good it is because their customer service is so bad. Just terrible. No email support. Phones just go into endless music. One hour, two hours... 1-888-865-3026 good luck. Basic information like indoor - outdoor product/model compatibility not available. No one knows...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: July 2, 2018

I bought this AC June 13, 2017. Never used it. Sat in box until today 7-1-18. It won't run. Upon inspection there's 2 pieces of foam blocking the fan from moving. Warranty just exp 2 weeks ago. I paid 500.00.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Always on hold at least 45min. then get a runaround. The worst customer service of anybody I've ever dealt with. Unit is under warranty. Have order #, case # and part #. But nobody will send the part. In fact the last time I called they couldn't find any record of me at all. Just saying never buy a LG product if you expect any customer support after the sale.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought LG split AC 2 years ago and barely cools. My contractor has taken a look twice and mentioned that the unit just drops pressure in a month and hence does not cool. I have tried calling customer support multiple times and they just put me on hold. Such a waste for 5K dollars. If LG support is seeing this please reach me at **.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Model # LW1216ER: Do not purchase this Chinese piece of junk, lasted a year and 10 days after warranty expired. Compressor stays running even after manually or remote controlling it off, must unplugged from AC outlet. This can be a potential fire hazard and you can come to no home and God forbid your pets. This company needs to recall this unit and repair it with quality relays or get sued. China can copy a product to a tee but use inferior parts, watch out for their dog food as well as it's poison our pets and their toys kill our toddlers with chemicals they use. I did not know LG was made in China or I would have never purchased this junk.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I only wish I could give 0 stars. I've had the system for 2 years now and it has never worked properly. Installed in March of 2016 and within two months the a/c was blowing warm air. I had the installer come back and he said the condenser was bad. I called LG and told them I had the LG mini split system and they said, "You need to call the commercial dept for mini splits," and gave me a 1-800 #. Called the 800 # and was put on hold for 36 minutes before I gave up.

The next day I tried again and same thing. Then I told the person, "Please don't put me on hold again," so he bounced me from line to line to line--you know the game. Ok, so I called back the original LG customer service and asked if they had a website for commercial customer service and they said, "No but here's the 1-800 #." Ya right. Ok so I called Angie's List to see if I could get someone to fix my LG mini and the first 6 people wanted nothing do with it. Finally I got a guy to come out and fix it but it stopped blowing cool air after a month. Anyway, that was the pattern for the last 2 summers and I just tried it and it doesn't work. Please! Don't buy an LG! If you don't believe me just call LG customer service just for fun and they will bounce you to the Comm. dept and give you this stupid 1-800#. Then the fun begins... Just buy a Mitsubishi or some other brand instead.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have been using the small LG window unit for approximately 1 year. It's not an expensive unit and the model number is not visible on the front. No remote was a mistake. I should have gotten a higher end unit. The temperature control is the worst I have ever seen. You will be uncomfortable before it turns on and again before it turns off. Getting up to turn it on and again to turn it off is not for me. I will be taking it out and putting some rounds through it. Moving the thermostat to another location has not helped at all. And due to the safety plug a remote plug will not work. If you are thinking of buying a inexpensive ac unit get one with a remote.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have had my free standing LG air conditioner for 10 years or more and the only thing that happened was a code to let me know to empty the water out and then I pressed the reset button on the plug which put it back to normal. Have also washed filter every 2 weeks and I live in South Florida so it gets used a lot.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

The conditioner cooled for only two summers of moderate use, by the third season it powered up and both the fan and compressor turn on but only non cooled air came out. I tried to access the innards to check for coolant leak but it was impossible to remove the rear case after removing all the screws (14) fastening it closed. While it is a good looking product with convenient controls the fact remains that it has some major inferior internal design problems with the cooling system.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I purchased a $400 LG air conditioner 3 years ago and after 2 years it quit working although I often clean the filter and empty the water. I've been purchased a second $400 LG air conditioner which lasted one season with the same results. This product is garbage and you rip off your customers as I have seen several similar reviews. Your company should not be allowed to steal people's money like this.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Bought this 6000 btu LG ac unit and the unit is not working. The compressor doesn't turn on. Will never buy another product from them. This unit is 14 months old and I am elderly on a limited income. Stay clear of this so called company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am in the process of looking for an affordable 12000 BTU window A/C. My similar LG unit has just died after 10 years of great service. I am considering another LG, but with some of the reviews, I'm not sure if the quality is still there. My LG unit had all of the features that I desired and could really chill a large bedroom, foyer and a small bathroom. Hope I can find a repeat of what I'm losing.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

15 years ago, I purchased a 10,000 BTU LG window air conditioner. At the time, they were a top rated a/c maker. It lasted 10 years with only one servicing for refrigerant. When the compressor went out after 10 years, I replaced it with a new 10,000 BTU LG in 2012. In just over two years, it broke - it would not turn on. It was the control panel circuit board and cost almost as much to repair as the purchase price. The authorized LG repair company said that this had become a common problem with many LG appliances. The circuit board was replaced in the Spring of 2015, but a bit over two years later, the same problem has happened again.

LG is not interested in the problem, which is obviously a quality of manufacturing issue. They are insulting, unprofessional and condescending. I did not expect to have to replace this window air conditioner this quickly. With what I have spend between the purchase price and the repair, I would have been better off spending an additional $150 initially on a Freidrich unit. It's amazing how far a company can fall from top rated products to incredibly poor quality. I will never purchase any LG product again and would highly recommend that no one else does, either.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Purchased LG INVERTER AC from Reliance Digital and found there is cooling issues from the first day and started complaining with Reliance Digital as well as LG. Min temperature even after 2 hrs of continuous cooling is 22°C only. Service engineer informed that company is stopped replacing of faulty AC, but will repair only. Please think twice before purchasing AC from LG.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Bought LG AC just 8 months ago. Service guy giving irrelevant reply to us when called for service. His service is worst. Kindly make sure service guy is really doing service to customers or not. Please don't buy LG AC as they have not called for service or not done service properly.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I bought a LG portable Air conditioner unit on eBay (LG LP1414GXR). It died on me 3 months into services. LG fixed it under warranty. It died again a month after 12 month warranty expired. LG has refused to fix the product. Due to poor quality of product and service I would not recommend LG products to anyone. This was the last LG product that I purchased, no more LG products for me.

Here is veiled threat from LG when I informed them that I intend to inform the public about this: "At this time, the only assistance we would be able to provide would be service on the unit. If you are interested in scheduling service please contact customer service. Also, just as a reminder, to avoid being marked as spam, please read our Community Rules: ** to learn about trolling and other behavior that breaks the guidelines of this page. We invite all conversations and look to assist customers reaching out for help, but there are community rules in place to prevent spamming, etc."

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I live in an apartment that my son owns and two of two the rooms each have an LG window air conditioner/heater in it. They are both about two years old and I have 1 of those years enjoyed them perfectly. Last week 1 of them stopped working so I needed a repairmen whom promptly came (within two days). I live in southwest Florida. The repairmen was from LG and was very professional and courteous and provided great work.

My problem happened when I was told that the reason my unit stopped working was because of a piece of Styrofoam that came loose from around one of the coils that apparently is in place for transportation of the unit but does not get removed because the installers don't even know it is in place so the piece of Styrofoam came loose and blocked the fan and hence the problem. That cost me a services call of 192.60 dollars. I do keep the unit clean. I take the screen out once a month and wash it. I ask is that not a problem that I (the consumer) should pay so dearly?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

My experience with LG (Lucky Goldstar) products has been consistently poor. Their air conditioners vibrate and are noisy. I also purchased a Goldstar dehumidifier that had to be tossed because the membrane panel went bad. When I was on vacation in Mexico, the room had an LG wall unit that, big surprise, vibrated and made different noises! Is it so hard to manufacture an air conditioning unit that runs quietly? I would avoid purchasing any products from this company as they are of a consistently inferior nature. LG is quite the contrast to Samsung, another Korean corporation that makes high quality, durable products.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I purchased AC last year. I lodged a complaint in customer service during warranty period. Engineer came and found product damage. Engineer said this will be replaced as soon as we receive the product. I called many times. No response. After two months, they said I need to pay since it is out of warranty. How we can trust such a fraud company. They do pricing the products including the charges of warranty. Please careful.

Resolution response: Sept. 21, 2016

The LG Company has started corresponding with me. It is being resolved

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

Worst experience when I bought the LG Portable AC Model 1111WXRY1 from local Home Depot on 04/02/2012. Just one week before completing one year, the cooling stopped. I called LG Customer Service on 03/27/2013 when the unit was well within one year warranty. I was given name and number of a Technician. The technician came and measured the outflow air temperature and suggested that either Compressor is bad or Freon is out. I followed up with LG after few days on 04/01/2013 and I was told they have not heard anything from technician. Upon my calling Technician, I was told that he cannot fix the AC.

I talked to customer Service again on 04/07/2013 and gave all my information again and the Rep gave me same technician number despite my telling her that they are not ready to do repair work. Thereafter, I called twice on 04/09/2013 and my phone was disconnected. So, I went to the Home Depot from where I bought this unit. The manager at Home Depot was kind enough to call the LG Customer service on my behalf. He spoke to the Representative who promised that the technician will call next day and issue will be resolved. Nobody called me next day. When I called technician, I was told, not to call him again. Reluctantly, this piece is lying in my garage. I have all dates and time and the person who I speak to are available. I could not give my review earlier due to some family issues.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

I purchased the portable A/C unit LP0814WNR from Lowe's this summer to cool one room that is not connected to central A/C. After 4 weeks the fuse got tripped and after that the A/C did not start working anymore. The error code E1 came up and the manual that clearly states "LG" asks to call the customer service with an LG customer number. My first call to them resulted in confusion as they were not familiar with the differences between the model, type and serial number. The first person I talked to told me that my request to repair was forwarded and I would receive a call shortly. After three days nothing happened and I called the service center again and was told a repair was scheduled for in about 10 days and I was given a phone number. The end of the story was that after he asked for me to take a picture of the A/C and send it he stated that he would not come because the machine did not say "LG" on it. The fact that Aeon is an LG product did not change his mind.

The call center was surprised to learn that this "service center" was not working out and suggested somebody else who is not repairing portable A/C though they repair other LG products. I got three other numbers from "service centers" and was told to start calling them at 9 am next day. I ended up calling Lowe's where I had purchased the machine and because I bought it less than 30 days ago I was able to return it for a full refund. I would have liked to get it repaired but this was not working out. Everybody at the service center (which is located in the Philippines) was very friendly and tried their best but they are not familiar with those "service centers" in the USA, which are basically contractors or other businesses that repair LG products. The Aeon product webpage also has a customer phone number but they do not even pick up and once I was waiting for more than 5 minutes the call got disconnected. I will not buy a LG product again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I bought a 12,000 portable air conditioner in July of 2015 and used it for awhile and it seems to work fine then, but in May of 2016 I hooked it up and it was not cooling off my rooms which was the kitchen and living room. So brought back to Home Depot in June before the warranty expired and they exchange it for another one 12,000 btu. I finished talking to a tech from LG because the 2nd one is doing the same as the first one did. They will not warranty the 2nd one. Only on the first which the warranty has expired. So I am stuck with a air conditioner that does not cool the rooms. I will never buy anything from LG. They do not work with you at all or stand by their products.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Purchased the LG Model: LP1415SHR Heating and A/C Unit. It leaked, then leaked again, then leaked again - flooding my floor. Had a tech come out three times and each time it (of course) was user error - they will NEVER take responsibility. The first time supposedly it wasn't level. The second time the pan is small and needs to be emptied more often, is all. The third time it was clogged. NOW the Temperature Buttons do not work, so I have an A/C that does not cool below the standard setting of 72 Degrees.

I am home-bound and on disability so this was a huge purchase for me. I sent a couple of the upper management and the board or director's emails and NEVER heard back. I am not a spiteful person, but I do take a little pleasure that people who read this will KNOW what a crappy product and an even crappier company LG is BEFORE they spend their money with them like I did.

Original review: July 26, 2016

Window unit LG model LW7013HR - I have bought 3 units within 2 years. It worked good the first year, but after a year They had a problem with capacitor twice, I had replace it. The compressor shut off before it reached the set point. Two units acted that way. I would not recommend for Unit LG to anybody. Thank you.

Original review: July 9, 2016

I purchased LG Portable Air Conditioner 10,000 BTU 5/15/14 from Home Depot. A couple of months ago I noticed it didn't function well. I was having heart problems, breathing problems. Throwing up everyday, nausea, dizziness as it progressed. Two or three weeks ago I started smelling a men's public restroom smell like pee. I live in my room with my wife due to my dialysis status. I need air. I called Home Depot repair. They connected me to the technician. I described the smell and my symptoms. He told me that he could tell me right now what was wrong. He said it smells like cat pee and it showed E4. It was the Freon added smell when Freon is leaking.

He told me that it would be 12 more days before they could come out but he would work on a better date. I don't have a problem with Home Depot. I took it to Home Depot and they exchanged it for me. I looked up the health problems associated with from Freon leak. They were what I was experiencing in my small room. I had no idea that a Freon leak causes heart problems along with breathing and dizziness problems. I was severely dizzy everyday and fell three or four times, and stumbled everywhere. The new machine has clean air and I am slowly improving. Consumer beware.

Original review: June 7, 2016

LG LPO815WNR. I have say that my experience with the LG portable air conditioner that I purchased has been trouble since day 1. I called customer service after I hooked everything up and complained that I was having trouble with a loud banging noise coming from inside the unit (sounded like rocks bouncing around inside). Let them know that the sound was not as bad when unit was set on low. She was unable to answer my questions but did send me an email the next day asking me a few questions. I responded but did not receive a reply.

Called a few day later and got someone that was obviously not in the US. Went over my complaint again. He asked me where my unit was. I told him it was in my beauty shop at my house and he told me straight out that voided my warranty on the unit because I was using it in a business??? I told him that it was at my house, in a small room??? How could it be voided. I knew that I was screwed and that LG had NO intentions of helping me with the problem. PLEASE ~ DO NOT do business with them. They are not sympathetic and will look for ways to void your warranty, even if it is not working when you first plug it in. I learned my lesson the hard way.

LG TV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LG is a multi-national corporation headquartered in South Korea, specializing in bringing the latest technological advancements into consumer’s homes. In addition to many other tech products, LG innovates and sells portable, window and wall air conditioners along with accessories to improve your air conditioner’s accessibility and performance.

• Live chat: Get your questions answered fast from your laptop, tablet or mobile device using the live chat feature. Send an email if you can’t wait around for a chat reply and you’ll receive a prompt response.

• Promotions: LG frequently offers deals on their appliances, so be sure to check their website before buying your new air conditioner to see if your purchase will qualify for a discount, rebate or other promotion.

• 24-hour timer: Many of LG’s wall air conditioners feature a 24-hour timer so you can pre-determine how warm or cool you want your home. Cool it off before you leave for work and then again just before you come home so you are always comfortable without spending a fortune on energy costs.

• Remote control access: Control your wall, window or portable air conditioner from across the room with convenient remote control access.

• Dehumidification: Opt for a portable air conditioner with dehumidification technology to reduce indoor humidity levels while cooling off your indoor space, creating a more comfortable environment.

• Best for: homeowners and apartment dwellers who are looking for portable, window or wall air conditioning units.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs