Kohler High-Pressure Toilets

Compare Online Bathroom Fixtures & Plumbing Companies

Research top Online Bathroom Fixtures & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Kohler 1.6 Toilet - I purchased two of these toilets three years ago, on the second year I've had constant problems with the flush valve not sealing completely on both toilets. I replaced them and to my surprise within 7 months they're leaking again, not only is this a problem but sometimes when the water doesn't fill the bowl and you flush they blow water up out of the bowl!!! This product is a piece of crap literally, do not purchase this brand unless you want constant maintenance or unnecessary clean up!!!

Top of pedestal, where the tank mounts, dropped off on the left side, making it impossible to mount the tank level. Very poor quality control. Been a new construction plumber for a while and have never seen anything like it. And who is footing the bill for removal, installation, removal, and installation, the home owner... Great job Kohler. The bold slogan "get bent".

Unless you have more than one bathroom in the house, don't buy a Kohler toilet! I needed a new flush valve for the Kohler Cimarron model. After removing the flush valve from mine, I headed for the box store where I purchased the toilet a couple of years ago. I began down the plumbing aisle... Mmmmm? Seems all other toilets have a 2 inch or 3 inch hole that the flush valve sits in. I measured mine before I left. 3 inches plus. More like 3 3/4". I see hundreds of different flush valves for hundreds of different toilets. All fitting 2" or 3" holes. MMMMM? But this Kohler, it is not 2 inch, and it's not 3 INCH. It's a funky odd size. MMMM? Is my toilet defective?

I continued to search the plumbing aisle, back and forth to no avail and finally as much as my male soul held me back, I had to ask someone. "Got one of these?" After performing the same up and down the aisle search, and then making a few radio calls. The clerk says, "No. Special order only from Kohler. Different size hole." "Can I get a non-Kohler part--any other flush valve to get this toilet working today--I'm desperate." "No". Not even a No... "sorry." Went to Home Depot, same conversation.

It was a Sunday, so there were no plumber supply stores open, and certainly no plumbers available. It's just my luck Kohler actually makes their holes 3 inches plus. Plus just enough that nothing 3 inch fits their hole. So, if your toilet is leaking, your only option is to order parts from Kohler, and wait for them to be shipped, assuming you know exactly what to order before you start and of course, nothing else is needed once you start taking the toilet apart. Or god forbid, you break another cheap Kohler plastic part as you are removing the other cheap Kohler plastic part.

Not being a plumber, any plumbing repair is always a "three trip to the store process" to get the right stuff. I really don't need Kohler to make the process more ridiculous by having proprietary parts, impossible to acquire without shipping and handling fees and a two week wait. Especially when it's a simple 30 minute repair job when you have the right parts. If you have an extra bathroom -- waiting for that proprietary Kohler part may be feasible for you. But if your family is waiting on this one bathroom, nobody in the family is going to like you all that much until that magical-cheap plastic-Kohler only-flush valve arrives.

Kohler executives may think it's a clever business model to make products that force customers to only buy their replacement parts. But, it doesn't work all that well for me, the customer, if nobody is carrying their expensive parts. And if that is the business model they use with toilets, I'm going to assume it's the same model they are using for all their products. So I'm taking back this Kohler shower head I recently bought. And I will never own another Kohler product. And unless you have two bathrooms, or two of anything else Kohler makes--you might want to pick another brand. Because sitting on the curb waiting for UPS, while the family is waiting to get their bathroom back is not fun!

Today my daughter thinks she doesn't like me for not getting the bathroom fixed, but it is really Kohler she doesn't like. And I will convince her of that even if it takes years of reminders. So that when she or my grandchildren, or their friends need a sink, toilet, faucet, bathroom or house, even a damn generator for the plant they will be managing in the future, they will know to never ever buy anything with a "Kohler" in it. On Monday I bought a new toilet. Not a Kohler. Took the old Kohler out, and put the new one in. Took about an hour. Done.

Two years ago I had a plumber install the Kohler touchless flush kit in three toilets. Last week I called customer service to request a replacement part. I had done some troubleshooting and realized a chlorine tab was installed inside one of the water tanks. This caused corrosion of the contacts in the battery compartment and the unit no longer flushed. My expectation was that a replacement part would not be available and that I would have to purchase a complete kit. The rep quickly agreed with my assessment and said she would have a replacement kit sent to my home free. She instructed me to remove the chlorine tab and advised me how to be sure the unit would calibrate itself to the room.

I was shocked. The installation guide even warned against use of in-tank toilet cleaners. The one year warranty, which wouldn't cover these circumstances, had expired a year ago. There was no reason to deal with my situation this way other than a desire to provide excellent customer service. I just installed the new kit and it works perfectly. Thank you Kohler customer service!

I was dumb enough to replace all 5 of my toilets with their touchless Cimarron Toilets that cost 399 each. I have had trouble with them so often we have had to leave the top of the toilet open. I have two kids and I bought these toilets so they can be germ free. I called Kohler numerous times asking them nicely as to what was wrong with the toilets. I kept getting the same answer "We can send you a replacement parts." They sent the part. I had them installed in all 5 toilets. Instead of fixing the problem the toilets started to act up even more. They started to flush by themselves in all hours of the day and night. The problem got so bad my daughter who is 8 didn't want to use any of the bathrooms because she thought we had ghost. I have had it by now.

I called them again and this time I had to let them know. The lady on the phone again had the same answer for me. "We will send you the replacement part." I asked her how many times am I supposed to have replace the part, for the rest of my life. She with a condescending way told me that she also has the same toilets and have never had a problem. I lost it at that time. I asked her if she thought I was just making all this up and enjoyed calling them and over and over again. I asked her to transfer me to her supervisor, which she never did. She finally told me after I had to curse the hell out of them, that she is going to have all the tanks replaced with the manual tanks. So now they are searching for a 3rd party vendor to replace them because Home Depot has refused to do so. This toilet is a pain in the ass. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A RIP OFF.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kohler?

I purchased a Kohler Numi toilet and premium remote. Both of these items were shipped and installed. The total cost for materials only was $5,000.00. The toilet worked for 1 day and now have been told it will be 28 days before they can supply the correct parts to make the toilet work.

My Kohler toilet has not flushed well. Several times I have had to call a plumber and spend a lot of money to unclog my toilet after plungers and a liquid toilet safe drain opener failed. This is despite using septic safe toilet paper which I was told to do the previous time I had to call the plumber.

I have owned an elongated 1.6 gpm flush version for 2 1/2 half years and bowl cracked. I had thought the quality would be better than this and will plan to replace it with a non-Kohler product.

I purchased 2 new Kohler toilets about 3 years ago. I picked Kohler because my father was a plumber for 30 plus years and swore by the brand. Unfortunately things have changed! Both of these toilets have water stained BADLY!! I have "city" water so it's not a hard water problem. It appears to be a low quality porcelain problem. If I had purchased a bargain low priced item I would not be upset, but these items were neither bargain priced or cheap! It seems that another of our fine high quality manufacturers has taken the low road. America is becoming the Land of Junk!!! PITY!! In my opinion I say DO NOT purchase a Kohler toilet. As much as it pains me to say it -- it seems that the Japanese products are of a much higher quality. How the tables have turned!

Purchased a Kohler Wellworth K3575 about seven months ago. As a mechanical engineer, I was very impressed by the flushing action. Most toilets swirl around for a while, then empty, then refill; this can leave some lighter materials left in the bowl. The Kohler has a very linear flushing action, followed by a rinse flow that follows the flush out of the bowl, then a refill. It never leaves residual materials in the bowl and at 1.28 gal/f it is efficient.

We purchased this Memoirs Toilet from Keller Supply in Auburn, WA. They are a supplier for Kohler. They didn't tell us about any problems with these toilets. This is in a very seldom used bathroom, but recently I have had to use it daily as my bathroom is being remodeled. Within 3 days, the toilet handle kept coming off of the cylinder and the chain would not stay attached. I finally took off the top of the tank lid and just pull up the cylinder to flush it. When the handle did work to flush it, it did not stay at the top of the tank, but instead was over half way down as far as it could go.

This was only 3 years ago. When we went to purchase a new one for our remodeled bathroom, we wanted to make sure we did not get a Kohler, but we asked about the Memoirs model. We were told they no longer sold that model. Perhaps everyone had negative experiences with it. Primarily I would never buy Kohler again and will express that feeling to anyone who wants an opinion about toilets.

Very poor design. The rather horizontal design of the bowl allows waste to sit and not slide down into bowl so toilet must be cleaned with each use then more flushing required. Nice looking but poor design, very inefficient. The cheaper Home Depot toilets are more efficient. Want a great looking but good flusher, Porcher is great, much better than Toto I have owned. As a house sitter I have used this Kohler, but do not own one. Have not been impressed with them and have used different models. Much better choices out there.

I've gone through 6 toilets. In those 6, three of those were Kohlers. I experienced an issue with my Sloan mode M-101526-F4. No recall was made known but they were very quickly offering me a replacement @ no cost. Kohler was very secretive to this problem. I was unhappy of how everything was handled.

Flush problem. The model is a memoirs k-3453. This is the second one in 2006. Kohler exchanged it for the same make and model. The problem still existed with new one as per the tech support. Told me in 2006 the one they replace had a defect in the outlet. As I said the new one has the same problem. I look at this design. The problem is, as plain as day, waste goes into the bowl through the trap then it goes horizontally for about 5' in. to the waste pipe where it exits into the waste pipe. It's a 90* not a sweep so it jams at that point.

I had a local bathroom remodeling company install the Kohler 3753. It looks great, and the flush is excellent. However, there is a strange dripping noise coming from someplace for about 5 minutes after the flush. The installer came back, and we were unable to determine either the source or the destination of the drip. The Kohler customer service rep was extremely unhelpful -- advised us to read the installation and care guide. D'oh. I hope a rotted floor is not in my future. I should have kept my Caroma toilet! Six years, and not a bit of trouble...

Yes, the issue was resolved by Lowe's. The toilet was removed by Lowe's and an American Standard Champion Model was installed. There was no extra charge and installation was included. The price of the toilets were the same.

I'm giving 1 Star to Kohler. Lowe's handled the problem very professionally.

Thank You.

P of Baltimore, MD on

Original Review

My recently purchased (1 month ago) Kohler (Devonshire) toilet cracked and split where the top half is joined to the bottom half of the toilet. In examining how this could have happened, I noticed that the layer of porcelain that spreads to the back of the toilet that allows the two parts to be screwed together is a very thin layer of porcelain. Now I can understand if a very heavy person were to plop themselves down on the toilet, but my weight is 125 lbs. This is not acceptable. I will be calling Lowe's tomorrow. But, I don't want a replacement of the same toilet, and I will be looking more closely at the stability of another toilet and the thickness of the porcelain that attaches the two pieces.

Because of the "low water use" mandate the company has changed the way the toilet empties. Instead of the usual swirling action used for years, the water flows down from under the rim, sort of like pouring a cup of water from the top of the windshield of your car.. The most minute "something" on the surface, even just cleaned ones, causes the water to part around the space, thereby missing parts of the surface. Whereas the swirling action covers ALL the surface, several times, the "parting" action causes residue to remain, making it necessary to clean the toilet after almost every use.. The toilets need the centrifugal force of the swirling action to properly clean it after each use. They are built wrong and need to change the way they flush.

I called Kohler about the explosion of my pressure assist 81100 Rialto toilet as described in my post below and want to report that I had a much more favorable experience dealing with Kohler on this than I had been led to believe reading the reports by others. The toilet that exploded was manufactured and installed in 1994 and despite how old it is, the company offered to ship me another of the same model (without the faulty pressure assist system) for free. They also offered to send new replacements for the other toilets I have of the same type for $200 each, much less than the cost to purchase new ones. I think this is more than fair and I commend them.

I just had a very similar experience to that of the last person who posted here. My home has many Kohler toilets manufactured in 1994 with the high-pressure flush system. I never wanted those to begin with but they were mandated upon us by law at the time to save water. Anyway, one exploded today when nobody was at the house. Fortunately for me, the flood which followed went into the garage and hit a sensor for my fire alarm system which apparently mistook it for flames or smoke and sent out a signal. The disaster was discovered before even more damage would have happened.

I checked "exploding toilets" on Google to see if this had ever happened before and found there was a recall of 2.3 million toilets by a supplier (Flushmate) to Kohler and many other manufacturers but which covered toilets made after 1997. My Kohler apparently had their own 81100 system manufactured in 1994. When I then googled "Kohler exploding toilets" I found this Consumer Affairs complaint site.

Aside from the damage caused by this explosion, I am facing a large additional problem. Flushmate is providing some sort of kit to fix their toilets. If Kohler is not doing the same thing, as seems to be the experience of those who have posted here, I not only have to replace many toilets in a relatively large house but will never be able to do so and match the colors of the tubs and other fixtures in those bathrooms. If anyone is aware of a class action against Kohler, I'd like to hear about it.

I have lived in my home for 21 years. The house was built with 3 of these power flush Kohler toilets back in 1992. Recently, on May 14, 2013, I returned to my house after being out for 12 hours only to find that the entire house was flooded. The cause - an exploding toilet. A piece of the black container inside tank literally blew up so hard that it broke off a piece of the tank which caused water to continuously pour out of the tank for 12 hours! When I pulled up to the house and noticed that my driveway was soaking wet, I knew something was very wrong. My garage ceiling had caved in and dining room ceiling as well. It was a complete disaster. I have read about a recall on exploding toilets that were built between 1997-2008, but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem with the 1992 model that I have and if there’s any legal recourse or experience trying to obtain some satisfaction from Kohler.

Our first Devonshire toilet we bought brand new from Home Depot. Within the first year, the bottom of the bowl (inside) turned brown and stained from lack of enamel. Kohler sent us a voucher for a new one (same model) at HD and the same exact thing happened. I felt both of the insides of the bowls and they are very rough, with no enamel coating at all. I sent an email. A woman called and said this doesn't happen blah blah blah. I told her to send someone out to see for themselves, but she was in denial. Our plumber is doing well though...

I bought a brand new house with 4 bathrooms. Since I bought it, every six months or less, I need to replace the float for every single one of them. Each costs $15.00. That's the first problem. The second problem is the fill valve. It costs me $65.00 each purchasing from local plumbing stores, and every year, it must be replaced. The other option is to replace the parts inside, but it doesn't fix the problem and it is better to change the complete fill valve. I'm just sick of this brand. I also have problems with their push button faucets. It gets rusted and doesn't work after a short time. I am not even able tor replace it, so just dealing with shower only. I am not using the faucet for like 3 years. Since I bought the house, it has been 5 years. I have spent lots of money. Replacing all the toilets and faucets will cost me a lot and I cannot replace them, so I'm just dealing with it. I hate the design.

I purchased a toilet from Lowe's 9 months ago in 2011. Included with the purchase from Lowe's was installation of toilet with new water supply line and valve. I've had to have a real plumber unclog the toilet 2 times and pay more money than I paid for the toilet. The only advice the plumber could give me was to hold the flush handle down for an additional 10 seconds to extend the flush time. I'm done buying toilets and any appliances with installation from the "big box stores." It's back to the local Mom & Pop stores for me.

In rebuilding our house, we put in three Kohler high pressure toilets. We thought by spending the money, we would get better quality. One toilet leaks every few minutes and another doesn't fill the bowl after flushing. To make matters worse, we went back to Lowe’s to get parts and they don't stock them for toilets that are 2 years old!

I purchased a Kohler toilet which flooded my bathroom and bedroom. The valve was faulty and had a split down the side. We took pictures which we mailed to the company and brought the valve to Lowe's where we purchased it. The manager there, my installer, and us could not see anything other than that. Kohler later told me that it appeared that a tool was used on the valve causing it to malfunction. We know that a tool was never used and are very upset with their company and customer service. I will never buy a product from them again.

I have just had a brand new toilet professionally installed. I have not even used it yet, so I cannot comment about its functionality. My problem is the tank is so small it doesn’t fit against the wall. There is about a two-inch gap between the wall and tank. This looks extremely poor. I spent many hours and many trips to several stores to find one I would be satisfied with. I have just spent several thousand dollars re-doing my bath. I made my choice based on the fact that the tank appeared to be larger than the others. My purchase was from Home Depot. I am very unhappy about the look of the tank.

Kohler quick release toilet seat - This toilet seat is constantly releasing (slipping) when in use. Caps over quick release are firmly in place when this happens. Bolts loosen several days after tightening. This is a defective design.

Kohler's 8100 Pressure Tank System exploded. They say they will merely replace it at a cost of $200 to me. They take a week to ship it out; and then I have to pay to have it installed. It is their faulty product; they should replace it for free. They have very bad customer service.

I litigated against Kohler for several years involving the 81100 pressure flush toilets and have much information relating to reports of the toilets exploding.

Kohler 81100 Pressure Clean Flushometer toilet has flushed poorly for quite some time (a few years), requiring 5 or 6 flushes or more to clear the bowl. We seldom use this toilet, and so have tolerated it to some degree. Upon contacting Kohler, I was told that parts are not available to repair the toilet. When I asked why, the rep gave no reason; he said he didn't know. Phone rep indicated Kohler would offer a goodwill $75 credit toward another Kohler toilet. Again, I asked why. No reason, no answer. Only now after reading others' accounts did I understand why; tanks explode!

Since there is a limited height space for this toilet installation, I don't know what other short-height toilet would work as a suitable replacement. I'm very disappointed in Kohler's hiding facts and truth regarding this product design failure. If this unit is not replaced, eventually, I may encounter a burst tank and flooding - or even worse, personal injury.

Kohler High-Pressure Toilets Company Profile