Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

KitchenAid Stoves & Ovens Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Webster’s Dictionary defines “Self-Cleaning” as "capable of cleaning itself”. In 1963, GE developed the first “Self-Cleaning” oven. After 63 years, Kitchenaid and their AquaLift Technology has turned back time by redefining “self cleaning” to mean: “If you want your oven clean, you’ll have to do it your-“self" with a scrubby pad and manual dexterity”. Plain and simple, AquaLift does not clean your oven and does nothing other than soaking the bottom tray for 40 minutes in warm, filtered water. It produces no steam to speak of, which is the principal behind its cleaning method. After 40 minutes of steaming, the water in the bottom tray is lukewarm to the touch and any grease or oven grime in the oven is unaffected.

We called KitchenAid about this on 11.29.2019. When you call and ask about their knowledge of this issue, they tell you they have never heard of this problem before, yet after a quick web-search, you’ll find numerous Class Action Lawsuits filed and customer reviews regarding the false claims AquaLift makes. When the sales people at the Big Box store where we purchased the oven were asked how the self-cleaning worked, they only provided positive support for KitchenAid's superior technology.

During our call to KitchenAid, they suggest to run the Aqualift process multiple times and then scrub the oven with a scrubbing pad between cycles. Kitchenaid even offers to send you a sample of cleaning power named “Affresh”? Why would a “Self-Cleaning” oven need to be run multiple times; need a scrubby pad; and a scrubbing agent if the self-cleaning worked? The best part of “self”-cleaning the oven yourself: To get to the back part of the oven’s walls and back panel, you will have to remove the oven door, unless you can suspend yourself in thin air to avoid laying on the open door to reach these areas. So, when Kitcheaid saying their oven is "self-cleaning", it really means clean it your-“self”.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Kitchen Aid Range Model KSEG700ESS3. Our oven was purchased in late Sept 2019 and 7 weeks later, electric panel is fried. The smell and burning had progressed each time we used the oven. We are lucky this did not catch fire. The service person is saying that the part may have been discontinued. Wondering how Whirlpool corporation is going to rectify this as they "do not replace appliances, just fix them under warranty".

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We bought all new KitchenAid appliances for our new home in late 2011. Two years ago I had to replace the refrigerator after losing the compressor. It was going to be almost $900 to replace the compressor or $1300 to buy a new refrigerator, so we bought a new fridge, but NOT a KitchenAid. Also in 2017 two of the five burner knobs seized up and could not be turned on. Another service visit and about $500 later these were fixed. Now this week I’ve had to call for service AGAIN because two other burner knobs have seized up and cannot be turned on. This will cost me another $400-500 again to get it serviced. I’m seriously thinking about replacing it with an electric range. It takes forever for the oven to preheat and also takes forever for water to start boiling. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER KITCHENAID PRODUCT!! They used to be great but nothing but problems now.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

It is very easy to accidentally bump the control knobs on the front panel and cause gas to leak without igniting. This is obviously a MAJOR HAZARD and could cause significant damage and LOSS of LIFE. A major design flaw. I called the Canadian service support and it was suggested I remove the knobs when not in use!! Excuse me!! There are numerous complaints/comments on the web and surprises me there is no recall to resolve the problem. Do we have to wait for a disaster before someone wakes up - a class action lawsuit in the making.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I have the same problem than Denise of Mahwah, NJ. The oven does not keep the temperature, plus the self cleaning does not work at all. Also the stem comes between the window then it left mark. I bought also a dishwasher KitchenAid. 2 hours to clean and dry dishes. No clean dishes and not dry. I will never buy KitchenAid again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I bought a double oven stove 2 years ago, model number KFGD500EBL04. First the top oven quit working then only half the middle burner will light. I contacted KitchenAid with no luck. Just excuses. I feel this is a very dangerous item. They said they had no other complaints or any recalls. I would not buy their products again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Purchased four KitchenAid appliances three years ago for a complete kitchen remodel. Very disappointed. The exhaust fan on the microwave is extremely noisy. The handles on my fridge are always needing to be retightened. Happily the dishwasher is perfect. But my biggest complaint, if you slightly bump the knobs on the gas range (KSGB900ESS0) it lets out gas. You wont even know this until you start smelling it. So even cleaning it you have to be very aware to look at the knobs and make sure they are in the off position. This is a major safety issue. If I can't find a recall, I'll probably just throw it away and buy another brand. I bought all KitchenAid from its reputation/reviews but would not recommend to anyone...

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Almost four years ago, we bought KitchenAid appliances. From all of them, stove is not good. Stove looks very beautiful, but after two years, one burner was gone and we had to spent $150 and now the other burner is gone. So according to the price, the quality of the stove is not good at all. Now again I called mechanic and he is asking $150 to repair my stove. Overall I would like to say that my other appliances are good, but stove is not.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I purchased the KitchenAid Gas/Convection Range with AquaLift Self-Cleaning Technology. To put it simply - it does not work. It requires you to pour 1 3/4 filtered water on to the bottom of the range after you remove all racks. Click clean button and poof, in 40 minutes your oven is clean...NOT! I am not a cook. I purchased this oven almost 2 years ago. I've used it less than 10 times. Mostly for holiday dinners. It just is not that dirty. Tried the self-cleaning feature twice. No difference. It just does not work. I am currently also questioning whether the oven is really working well at all. It takes forever to preheat and lately, more time than usual to cook food.

I called customer service as I purchased an extended warranty. They won't come out until I troubleshoot all issues. Their recommendation was to unplug the oven and wait 30 minutes before plugging it back in - to reset the oven. Try cooking something and see if that solves the problem. Haven't done that yet at the time of this review, however, I think this is an oven I would avoid purchasing. I know I'm going to have to end up scrubbing the inside myself and be forced to use the recommended cleaners and "tools" or risk forfeiting the warranty. It is a great looking oven. It was recommended to me when I was looking to purchase all new kitchen appliances after a total kitchen reno. I just have a bad feeling about this appliance. Can't imagine what others with families and those that use this oven often are going through regarding the ability to clean it. This AquaLift, low-heat technology DOES NOT WORK.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

KitchenAid electric range # KERS807SSS00. I am very disappointed in KitchenAid! They don’t deserve a star! Because They sold out to Whirlpool to avoid covering their poorly built products that should’ve had been recalled or, came up with a seal to prevent control board burnout! This is my second spillover and the dash control panel is burned out again. At least the range does work because it’s independent from the oven, you do need the control panel to operate the oven. I called KA which is Whirlpool now. Whirlpool, simply have a way of not covering any warranties on KA. They always have an excuse. Or, there’s no record of a complaint by me or by anyone else on this issue!

I find that hard to believe because I had a spillover and I called and complained to KA within two months of purchase about the faulty glass top (No Seal) to prevent spillovers from the glass top to the bottom of where the control board burned out. Which they did cover because it was during the warranty period. And their excuse was, “Didn’t you read the manual?” Well No Ma'am! I didn’t! This is the third one in my family, and there’s been spillovers and nothing was blown out!! I should have realized. They had General Electric ranges. At the cost of $ 480.00 plus labor for the part. We will rather buy a new range other than KA or Whirlpool or any other products made by them!! In the meantime, I’ll be grilling out on the grill ☀️????

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid has been an iconic name in household appliances since its founding in 1919 and the introduction of its flagship automatic mixer. It began producing cooking appliances in 1985.

• Product selection: KitchenAid's line of cooking appliances is one of the largest in the industry, giving buyers a wealth of choices.

• Freestanding options: KitchenAid's selection of freestanding appliances provides an array of options for buyers designing cooking islands and other non-traditional kitchen layouts.

• Heating options: KitchenAid maintains one of the industry's largest selections of options for heating technologies.

• Robust support: The company's online support options are easy to access and provide a wealth of information and replacement parts.

• Traditional quality: KitchenAid's maintains that its tried-and-true quality is attributed to its long experience in the industry. The brand frequently eschews technology-driven special features in favor of dependable durability and use.

• Best for: Users cooking for one, users cooking for families and users cooking for businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs