Jenn-Air Slide-In Range

Compare Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves

Research top Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Just like others posting here, I find myself replacing the keypad control for my Jenn-Air dual-fuel range a second time -- and I am not amused. When I bought this range 9 years ago in order to switch to gas burners. My house was built in 1983 and the original owner installed an all-electric Jenn-Air range in a free-standing cooking island, with the downdraft ventilation. It worked fine, although the grilling unit was lousy -- I've had toaster ovens with more heat! When I looked into a gas-burner replacements, my only option to fit the custom space dimension was another Jenn-Air. So I bought the dual-fuel version in 2006 and had problems from the get-go.

First, the new range didn't fit -- it was about 1/2" wider than the other, although they were sold as the identical size. I had to cut the counter-top to get the thing squeezed in. Looking forward to using the gas grill feature, I was immediately disappointed. It's no better than the old electric version! It takes less time to fire up a Weber kettle than it does to cook a steak on this thing. And don't even think about lamb chops -- the downdraft ventilation is so poor, my house smelled of grilled lamb for days.

But irking me most was when the electronic keypad abruptly failed about five years ago. At least the old electric range had real knobs and not a circuit board. I spent $350 for a new keypad and installed it myself. But now, just weeks before Thanksgiving, this second one has died without warning. I looked into buying an entire new oven -- Samsung and Bosch now have dual-fuel ranges that will fit my space. But I didn't feel like coughing up another $1800 when I can replace the keypad for $300. Overall -- when the keypad is working -- the burners and oven work fine. But spending $300 every five years to replace a key part is just not acceptable.

In 9 years I am now getting ready to replace the control panel for the THIRD time. This is ridiculous. I wrote and called the manufacturer to no avail. Now must purchase another range that uses a downdraft system. DO NOT BUY JENN-AIR.

They are not worth the price! I remember when my parents bought appliances that lasted almost a lifetime. This is not the experience I have with Jenn-Air Products. We did a home renovation early 2008 and we purchased a commercial range, dishwasher and cabinet depth refrigerator. The dishwasher was replaced after 5 years because it was beginning to cost more than a new dishwasher to repair.

The range has been another recurring issue with burners consistently not working and a regulator that has been replaced 2x. I have had PSEG to my home 4x because of gas leaks and faulty equipment. All repairs are of course needed after the warranty is expired. I am now faced with yet another gas leak and not being able to get a new regulator for the $4,000 range, as Jenn-Air no longer carries. I have reached out to the company before frustrated with no response. I called them today to ask for partnership for my current issue and I am told I am on my own. The 1st representative that I spoke with told me to look for the part on eBay. What fabulous Customer Service. Learn from our experience and do not buy ANY Jenn-Air products. They look pretty but do not hold up to everyday wear and tear.

Model JGR8895BDS. I am extremely unhappy with this oven. The touchpad for the oven controls is so sensitive as to be ridiculous. It was purchased in 2009 and in 2013 the touchpad membrane had to be replaced. In 2014 I had to have the control and touchpad replaced again. Now, in 2016 on 9/19 I preheated the oven and went to put it on the timer and found that NONE of the keypad worked except the cancel button. (Thank god, I was able to turn it off.) Now I cannot use the stove. All I have is a cooktop.

I have NEVER had so many problems and repairs with ANY appliance. I will not spend another $226 dollars for another year or two of use, if I am lucky. This has happened in seven years of use, and not heavy use. Two people, no kids. THIS IS A LEMON!! I will never purchase another Jenn-Air product. I had also purchased an over the oven microwave the same time I got the oven. It died last year in 2015. I made a point of replacing it with a non-Jenn-Air product. I don't complain about trivial matters, but this is just absurd!! I am very upset and disgusted that Jenn-air presents their products as quality.

Jenn-Air 30-inch Electric Self-Clean Slide-In Range JES9750BAB - The control board finally went dead for the sixth time since we purchased this oven in 2008. We have to have a downdraft oven because our house was built in 1769 and the kitchens design is unusual. We decided to forgo fixing this pos after doing the math as back in 2010 the control board died twice in 6 months. There should be a class action suit against Jenn-Air for not fixing this electrical problem and overcharging customers $200-350 for a $10 piece of wiring and not rectifying the original engineering problem. "The control board fizzles because of the heat in the oven"??? That's an actual answer from a tech. What's next? The wings fell off because of it was windy? Your pool collapsed because it got wet? DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM Jenn-Air and save yourself from losing your mind.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jenn-Air?

We lost the oven calibration during a power outage. The range is less than 3 years old. They now want $69.95 to drive 2 miles to just diagnose it. The oven temperature was never right. The model & serial number are under the unit, I am not able to get under the very small area to see the model & serial number. I cannot recommend this stove. I have been very dissatisfied. The next time something goes wrong with unit, I will replace it with a non-Jenn-Air product.

The manual says on page 8 under the heading OVEN LIGHT: "When oven is cool, use fingertips to grasp edge of bulb cover. Pull out and remove." I've tried several times, but this thick glass cover will not budge. I'm afraid if I try to force it, it will break. I need some advice here.

We purchased this slide in range four years ago. I have replaced the keypad three times. The past several months it does not reach the correct temperature, and changes from bake to broil. After just again replacing the keypad, it lasted only 30 minutes and again failed, reporting "function not available" in the window. I am extremely unhappy with this product.

We purchased this Jenn-Air downdraft range about seven years ago. We have had nothing but problems with it. It takes about twenty minutes for the oven to pre-heat despite the oven indicating that it reached the target temperature in about ten minutes. One of the burners only works on the larger burner but not on the smaller. One of the heat indicator lights on the stove always remains on. Every so often, when selecting "Bake" on the oven, it strangely goes to "Broil." This has caused several ruined dinners. Lastly, the oven temperature is never correct. For instance, I set the temperature for 475 and it only reaches 450. When using the "More Options" feature to adjust it up 25 degrees, it raises it to 500 degrees. It is disgusting that this company be allow to peddle this crap.

In October of 2014, the Dual Burner on my Jenn-Air stove top was turning on for 10 seconds and then turning off. Had to wait 10-15 minutes for it to turn back on, but then same thing, would turn off within 10 seconds. So we call Jenn-Air, and have the part replaced. ($330) Then in May of 2015, same problem starts occurring, same burner is faulty. So I call Jenn-Air, I ask them if they can do anything about the repair this time. They took 50% off the burner and I had to pay 100% of labor which was an O.K compromise. ($230)

Around June 2015, I had an electrician come in to do some work at my house. So I asked him to take a look at the stove/connections/electricity (whatever you want to call it) to make sure that electricity was not the issue. Electrician said that everything was fine. Therefore electric circuit is not the issue, so I thought maybe I was unlucky the first time I had it changed/defective part maybe.

Now February 2016, same problem starts occurring (only 8-9 months since previous repair), so now I call them and they say they can't do anything. I need to pay full amount to fix the stove. They weren't even offering some sort of discount - NOTHING!!! A quick google search revealed that I was not the only one with this problem and I feel cheated that they deny that they have an issue with that part. I'll be buying a new stove top NOT FROM WHIRLPOOL/JENN-AIR!!! Anyway I could sue them?

My Jenn-Air dual fuel double oven range lasted 3 years before the control panel went out and the stove stopped heating up. This range has been the biggest disappointment ever. It has never cooked right. I have had to double the bake time and up the cooking temperature by 15 degrees whenever I bake. This was a costly investment for the small amount of time I used it. Let's hope my Samsung works better than this poorly made appliance.

In the process of replacing a defective control panel. I found that the ribbon cable in the old panel had a delaminated separation of the two-part plastic covers enclosing the copper leads in the ribbon cable. A problem expressed in several reviews. The label on the new ribbon cable is dated 5/7/2015. When I connected the new ribbon cable it immediately delaminated in the same manner. Even to the extent of copper traces in both ribbons stuck to either side of the delamination in the same pattern as the old cable! I consider this proof of failure in a new part that demonstrates an inherent defect in manufacture of the ribbon cable. Control Panel Assembly Part number: W10206064. The front touch control panel failed on the stove requiring the replacement that I ordered. I removed the old front panel from the stove and noticed that the ribbon cable connecting the panel to the stove had separated in two parts.

There are 13 electric lines in the cable. Some remained attached to one side of the separated cable and some to the other side. For installation connection the ribbon cable has to be curved in the reverse of the natural curve as it comes out of the panel in order to connect it. I did that to connect the new panel ribbon cable to the circuit board moved from the old panel. When I connected the ribbon cable to its connector on the panel I noticed an immediate separation of the new ribbon cable into two enclosing plastic pieces with some lines in the cable remaining attached to one side of the separation and other lines remaining attached to the other side of the separated cable. This is the same separation in the new ribbon cable that happened to the old ribbon cable. Two sides of the semi-rigid plastic ribbon cable are stuck together with an adhesive.

The bend required to attach the ribbon cable to the connector causes the ribbon cable to separate. Furthermore the separation pattern of the 13 conducting lines in the cable that remained attached to one or the other sides of the separated cable was the same as in the original cable. This is a cheaply made defective ribbon cable. I continued with the installation and tested operation of the panel after it was installed and the panel operated correctly in spite of the cable separation. I suspect that the original ribbon cable was defective upon manufacture and that over time exposure of the very thin otherwise enclosed conducting copper lines corroded causing failure. This panel will also certainly fail over time for the same reason.

Others have reported similar failure of the ribbon cable and still others have reported multiple failure and replacement of the touch panel without citing possible or probable reason for the replacement. The obvious explanation being the ribbon cable failure. These unfortunate buyers. Me too! If you are installing the control panel then look for this problem. If it is being professionally installed I suggest that you observe the installation or at least tell the installer about the nature of the problem. Jenn-Air never heard of the problem! Copy to Jenn-Air!

I purchased a Jenn-Air slide-in range in 2007 and for the third time the control panel is out. I'm shocked that Jenn-Air would put their name on a product like this. I've had three Jenn-Air ranges in my 48 years of marriage. The first two were quality products. The one I have now is "junk". I've also had problems with the grease drain from the grill since the onset. I never had problems with the one I owned in the past. I abhor writing this bad review because I have been a fan of this company for a long time but I think as good citizens, it's our responsibility to make others aware of a company that will not support a product after the purchase. Sorry Jenn-Air... I won't be purchasing from you again!!!

Jenn-Air nightmare! How do companies continue with disregard of their customers? I have many times tried to get parts for my downdraft range from my kitchen island. Some parts I have gotten via another company... not from Jenn-Air themselves! For they do not supply older model parts told over and over again... and if they do? Super expensive compared to other sites that provide the part. I brought a new component board... mistake. It went out later again! This part was very expensive. So, I called Jenn-Air to now replace my stove in the island. My response? The newer Jenn-Air will not fit the same... Must cut out the island more! The vent to the downdraft? Also must be cut more into the cabinets behind the island to fit down into the original downdraft hole vent to go to the outside vent off the house. Which too is another issue now (I will respond to issue below).

So, first the cost of a new Jenn-Air downdraft? (It seems they are the only ones who market downdrafts? A Monopoly again by big business... it seems) Not to mention, the price for a new downdraft by Jenn-Air! Unbelievable costs! Compared to other up draft vented ranges. So, I have to first cut out my island; thus replace tiles, then, cut out my back cupboard area and lose space for storage to be able to re vent the new BIGGER range to accommodate the range downdraft venting! On and on it goes... NOW? ADD! The outside vent (neighbors too with the same problem). The tubing that goes to the outside vent is underneath the foundation slab which comes up to a metal box, which then heads to the vent to expel the ranges cooking air and heat. IT IS TOTALLY RUSTED AT GROUND LEVEL! I now have to find a way to remedy this issue. It seems neighbors also have this issue who had the same downdraft Jenn-Air Island range!

Unbelievable Costs now to replace... Live and let/learn! Never again! A Jenn-Air or downdraft range period! I am now working on altering the entire downdraft system to an overhead draft and replacing with a more closer fitted and less expensive Samsung range... The cost? Nearly the same or less!! Than to do a Jenn-Air again... Also one must fix that downdraft vent hole that has rusted out! For it has created problems with others with regards to water flowing in from downpour rains. Thus filling up the tubing under the house! Great product Jenn-Air! Thank you for the headaches and costs! PS. Look at the reviews of Jenn-Air and complaints! Low... I wonder why?

Jenn Air Gas Range Constant Temperature Problem Model JGR8890ADP - About 18 months after purchase, we had the first repairs. This is the high end gas range with an upper slim oven (for trays, pizza, cookies, and the like) and a lower large convection oven for cooking large dishes, turkeys, etc. It has electric starters and a computer control panel at the top. The computer control panel (Part no. W10172705) went faulty and the top oven "igniter" (Part no. 7432P143-60) went bad. The controller was replaced first but the oven did not light. The other lower igniter was then replaced and the stove finally began to operate. After about another 18 months, the range quit working again and igniters were replaced.

This stove is regularly failing to work properly. Either the oven igniters won't work or the top touch pad controller goes on the blink or both. We have replaced the touch pad controller once and now are told we apparently need to replace it again. We have replaced the igniters twice but are now told they may need replacing. Like the substandard KitchenAid dishwashers with the black membrane touch pad, this high end range is just substandard.

The top oven will not come on at all. The temperature displays 100 degrees, the start of the heating cycle, but the oven does not light. The bottom oven lights and the temperature climbs to 125 degrees and then the whole membrane panel goes blank. Even the cancel function does not work. KitchenAid is Kitchen Junk. It ruined our Thanksgiving last year and is a frequent issue at dinner time. How many repairs does an owner need to have done in order to get a working range?

We paid over $1800 for this range on the basis that it was reliable & high end. Well, we were taken to the cleaners. The stove we replaced was a 35 year old Kenmore that was simply beyond getting bright & pretty and silly us, we thought appearance was important enough to replace it. Boy did we blunder. This KitchenAid range is between 6 and 7 years old, it has never worked longer than a few months and so we have regretted buying it since purchase. In our minds eye, KitchenAid now is means Kitchen Junk. Do I need to be fair? Yes, its substandard Chinese electronics packaged by technically illiterate sales people and designed to make profit, not baked food. Stay away from KitchenAid. Buy a used Kenmore and move on with life.

I purchased a downdraft Jenn-Air range to replace an old Thermador range and man am I disappointed. Firstly - they sell their ranges with a grill and you must purchase a kit to replace the grill with burners. Secondly - the replacement burners will go no lower than medium. A stove top with just one true "simmer" burner is certainly not made for cooking - it's made for boiling and burning!! I went with the Jenn-Air as a range, with the downdraft feature was not easy to find locally - I now wish we'd renovated and not been forced into purchasing a Jenn-Air.

We purchased a Jenn-Air Stove (JES9900BCS) back in September of 2009. Actually, the unit was delivered in January of 2010. Last year the glass top developed a hairline crack and the front control panel stopped worked all together. Thankfully, they were both replaced under warranty. Fast forward to September 2015 when the front tight dual burner decided that it too would stop functioning. Oh, did I mention that this unit cost us $2,200.00 plus tax? I called Whirlpool customer service hoping that I could have them cover the cost of repairs. That was a complete waste of time. I ended our conversation vowing that neither I or anyone of my three daughters were ever going to buy a Whirlpool product again. Next stove is going to be a very ordinary stainless unit in the 500-600.00 dollar range. What a lemon. How does that saying go? Oh yes, "They just don't make them like they used to."

The knobs turn by just passing by them! This is the fourth time this has happened in less than 2 years. When you're cooking you can turn the gas on by just pressing your stomach against them. If someone is in the kitchen standing next to the stove that's enough to turn on the gas. We notice it when all of a sudden the house stinks of gas! This morning on my way upstairs to change my son I was carrying him and his foot brushed the knob when we were passing. I didn't notice it when it happened till we came downstairs and I was overwhelmed by the smell! We just woke up and hadn't used the stove yet so that tiny little foot was enough to turn the gas on high! So scary! What if we had left the house and it had the whole day to build up!

When I called customer service they said they can't do anything about it. The guy also said his dog turns his Jenn-Air range on all the time, which isn't saying much. This product in my opinion should be recalled before someone's house explodes. But they don't seem to care about that. Also, the oven doesn't lock. It's supposed to be pressing two buttons but they don't work, which is so dangerous if you have kids. I would never buy a Jenn-Air product again, and I would advise anyone who is thinking of getting this brand to find another.

We waited years to buy a Jenn-Air Ceramic Cooktop range, and it looks like maybe we should've waited even longer, given how long it takes to cook very ordinary things! The range was purchased in January of 2015 and we've experienced a series of disappointments with the stove's overall performance. Not the least of which is just how long it takes the heating areas on the ceramic cooktop to reach "high" heat and for the oven to preheat: a whole hour to reach a sufficient simmer to boil ears of corn and 25 minutes (or more) for the oven to reach 425 degrees!

The boiling water never did reach a robust rolling boil. My homemade stove-top caramel sauce was almost a flop, because the burner never stayed quite hot enough so that the melting butter and brown sugar would briskly bubble along the edges. Add to that a set of wonky oven racks that slide out much too loosely (I almost had a burn injury when one came slipping forward toward my mid-section while I was bending over to check on a batch of cookies!) and an oven that doesn't heat evenly. For example, cookies in the middle of the oven will brown and/or burn while those along the edges don't bake as well.

When I called the customer service telephone line to report the problems, I did speak with a very cordial representative who indeed did try to assist me with some "tricks" to improve the stove's performance: 1) Buy new cookware! Make sure that the bottom dimensions of the cookware match the sizes of the 'burners' exactly, and make sure that the cookware is truly flat on the bottom, without convex sides! 2) Bake with just one rack in the oven! That's right, because oven racks absorb heat and that makes it take longer to preheat.

When I explained to the rep that I have some cookie recipes that require moving the cookie sheets from bottom to top rack to bake properly, she didn't have a solution to offer other than to say that it's better to bake with just one rack in the center of the oven! Funny, but you never seem to hear about these kinds of limitations in any of the advertising information! And funny, too, but none of the dealers seem to provide working floor models so you can test them out, and of course, none of the sales reps seem to offer any of this kind of information at the time of purchase!

When I complained to Jenn-Air's customer service rep that following her tips would mean that I would either have to abandon the recipes that I've used for years (such as the home-made caramel sauce prepared on the stovetop) or that I'd have to learn another way of cooking, she suggested that I could buy a much more expensive Jenn-Air stove than the slide-in model that we purchased. I explained that we were limited in our choice of models because we did not feel ready to undertake a major kitchen remodeling just to replace a stove.

She went on to explain that the slide-in models don't have the same features as the higher end models, which was another way of saying that if you are an accomplished cook and are looking for the kind of flexibility that a professional chef would want from a stove, you're not going to have that with the 30" slide-in model. In summary, I could probably boil corn much faster with an iron cauldron in the family fireplace!

The electronic panel on the front of these ranges controlling the oven is totally useless. They simply burn out from the heat of the stove/oven. If you use this range for full power, lets say you cook for 20 people as we do sometimes that control electronic computer-like panel simply burns out and you need to have it replaced. We are in to our 3rd panel now. Needless to say we are now shopping for a new stove, NOT from Maytag, Jenn-Air ever again... This technology is simply a piece of junk.

As my oven is turning 7 years old it stopped working after having my regular repair man out who told me he can't buy parts for the Jenn-Air professional series. I had to use their tech. The cost of repair is $2,000 or I'll have no oven.

The Jenn-Air dishwasher has only been repaired once in the 6 six yrs. we have owned it. Now display is gone again. But the 30" slide-in gas range is another story. When you turn on the oven, the room reeks of gas, so bad I have to open a window and turn on my fan. Repairman said this is normal and I say it's not. I have used many gas ranges in my life and this is a first. My dad's 300.00 range works better than this $2,000.00 one! I have had a few igniters go out, sometimes they just keep igniting and won't shut off. The igniter will keep sparking and the gas is coming out but does not light (unless I use a match. Another hazard!!!). I have replaced hinges on the oven door and now my display panel is not working. Grrrrrrrr...... I am done with this range and will never again buy a Jenn-Air product!

We have a two year old stainless slide in range and it already requires a new electronic control panel! So disappointing. It's a beautiful but crappy appliance. Apparently the heat kills the control panel -- some numbers don't work at all, and the self-clean option gives an error message. I tried to order a replacement, from Sears Parts Direct -- almost $300 including tax and shipping. I checked out a $900 Samsung on Consumer Reports and I'm buying that one... goodbye, Jenn-Air. Based on reviews it sounds like people have to replace these repeatedly... no thanks. Off to Samsung (model NX58F5500SS).

I have had my Jenn-Air for about 6 years and today I was preheating the oven to bake at 350, when you could smell like something was getting super hot - the F1 code on the screen. I paid 1900.00 for this item; should work good. THE UNIT WOULD NOT TURN OFF, HAD TO SHUT OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER SO IT WOULD NOT BURN DOWN MY HOUSE.

I Purchased Jenn-Air oven range in Feb. 2014. I have not been able to use oven because it does not hold a steady temperature. Everything takes longer than what recipe calls for and still isn't cooked inside. I had a tech out 2 times to adjust the temp. He said that the oven temp goes up to 375, then goes down to 330. An oven is supposed to rest at a relatively constant temperature. It is not holding at 350 degrees. I Spoke to Jenn-Air and they said I had to use the convection mode or otherwise it will take longer to bake or cook and won't brown and they weren't kidding. This range was designed for convection baking and cooking only, I purchased a range that I would have the option to use the convection mode if I wanted to. I cannot believe that this is how a Jenn-Air oven is supposed to operate.

Jenn Air range locks and self cleans when above 350 degrees. This happens every time. Old model Jenn-Air so everything else works fine, except controls are not visible on readout display. Repairman said it could be as many as 3 or 4 things, all of which are expensive fixes (controls, ovens, temp sensor, etc.). Has anyone else had this issue and ever fixed it?

My JennAir range needed a replacement bulb. I pulled out the owners manual and ordered from a dealer the bulb. When it came in I could see it was different and it would not fit. Called customer service at jennair, they told me it was the correct bulb. I told them it looked nothing like the bulb that came out, and asked to speak with a technical person, they have none, or a supervisor none at the moment. Every time I call this company it is a nightmare. Never again will I purchase Whirpool or jennair. They suck.

I got your response. A product is as good as its service, and the service is horrible. The guy Gulfcoast appliances sent had no clue according our mind. When I placed the repair call it was already difficult, that they would take the order. It took 2 different people there to get the appointment. Then the guy came, tried to open one screw on the problematic burner. He could not open it and then he said the whole unit needs to be opened and the replacement of the whole grid would cost at least $600.00. We refused this and then he presented us an invoice for $105.00 which was already ready prepared from this Gulfcoast office. This is what we call a rip off and a horrible customer service. Your offer to call. A second opinion would just cost us another amount to waste. Is this the case, that when one speaker is no more working, that we have to replace a whole grid? Please inform us at least about this point.

The knobs to control the flame on this range can move too easily. Bumping against a knob when cooking can turn on a flame. This is a safety hazard for children and also cooks who when reaching to stir a pot on a back burner can accidentally turn on a front burner. I haven't been injured but recently a surprise flame burnt a hole in my sweater.

I brought this to Jenn Air's attention. They require the serial number of the range, which is fair. Unfortunately this number is on the back of the range. Since this is a slide-in range it is not a simple job to pull it out and look at the serial number because the gas has to be turned off and connections removed.

They will let this only be done by an authorized dealer. Understandable. Unfortunately the nearest one is an hour away and their charge to pull the stove out will be around $200. This is not covered by warranty. The Jenn Air rep who telephoned me was not helpful, saying things like "don't stand too close to the stove" and "don't wear loose clothing". I wasn't looking for recompense. I just wanted them to know about the design flaw of the knobs. It reminds me of the old adage "No good deed goes unpunished."

Several issues: The grill grates are $69 and last about three yrs. The digital display has a thermostatically-controlled cooling fan which was not sufficient and the display is gone though all functions still work and the entry areas beep when you touch them. The display I hear is a common failure and $189 just for the part. The oven is hotter on the right side than the left. Had element checked out. Things will burn on the right side if I don't alternate. The grease drain cools the drippings and stops up. I have had two fires. I clean the drain with detergent, hot water and a hair dryer. I sent a suggestion to Jenn-Air about a timed heater coil around this tube to enable the grease to continue draining downward. The ceramic cooktop does not boil water as fast as other brands of stoves.

Jenn-Air Slide-In Range Company Profile