1.41/5
Based on 58 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

92 Jenn-Air Cook Tops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have only cleaned my cooktop with soft cloths and a water/Dawn mixture spray. To wipe around the edges or round areas I cleaned as anyone would. This surface scratched with just soft cloth and soap and water. The cleaning directions say clean with the grain. How is that possible when the surface is round to just go back and forth and to get along the edges of the square cooktop pan? This product surface is terrible. I cannot get these scratches out. My cooktop has been in use 2 months. I now have bought a counter top electric cooktop so I won’t get my cooktop dirty and have to clean it - risking more scratches. This is ridiculous. I have had other stainless products; sink, refrigerator, oven unit and never experienced scratching like this. Very poor - wish I had bought a different brand.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Electric black glass digital unit looks great, heats fast. Temperature selector is a touch + or - key that will increase or decrease burner temperature. Reducing the burner temp causes the burner to go full hot for 5-15 seconds depending on the starting setting of the burner. Then the new temp setting will take effect and everything is ok until you next adjust the burner temp lower again and the whole burner hot cycle starts again. Had serviceman out, showed him the problem, he called Jenn-Air service and was told that this is how the unit works. I would say that this is a poor design feature. Jenn-Air needs a better electronic design!

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 21, 2018

Four years ago I remodeled my kitchen and purchased an entire Jenn-Air kitchen package which included a $2200 induction stove top. I purchased the expensive pots and pans that have to be used with it. After 3 years the stove top blew up. Of course it had just gone out of warranty so I had to purchase another $2200 induction stove top because that is what fit the hole in my granite. 4 MONTHS after purchasing the new stove top the middle burner and to right hand burners quit working so I had to have it repaired and all JENN-AIR did was offer to extend my warranty for 6 months.

Well then 2 MONTHS after having it repaired the same burners have quit working again. All JENN-AIR is willing to do is give me a $200 check and repair it for free. I have spent $5000 dollars in 5 years with this company and that is all they will do. PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY BECAUSE THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS OR THEIR PRODUCT. I would give it zero stars but it will not let me.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Disheartening to see negative reviews on Jenn-Air. The cooktop we have JGD3430 BB00 was bought in Jan 2016 and apparently was replaced by a new model shortly after. Writing to ask if spare parts can be got anywhere as the knobs come apart and the cooktop scratches no matter how carefully one cleans it. Any advice appreciated, meanwhile perhaps those considering a new Jenn-Air purchase will think again about their products.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought this stove because it has gas burners and an electric oven and I thought was a quality name product. I have had to replace the complete electronic control panel once so far (I’ve had this stove about 10-12 years). In the last 5 years I’ve had to replace the burner igniter 6 times and it’s out again. I would not buy another Jenn-Air stove.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jenn-Air?

Original review: March 22, 2018

We invested a lot of money in our kitchen reno. We purchased Jenn-Air products with the assumption that we would receive a quality product. There is only two of us living in the house and we are very gentle on all of our products. The reason for this review is that I have sent Jenn-Air Canada a note a month ago and have not heard anything back. We are continued put off by our local Jenn-Air dealer... so this is our story. Here is our experience: We had the smell of gas in our kitchen. We contacted our gas guy to check the lines and they were tight and fine (bubble test complete). He noticed that the Jenn-Air stove fittings, next to the gas line connection and they were loose and emitting gas.

We had informed the retailer of this issue and received no follow up. We continue to have the odor of gas in our kitchen around the range (suspect other loose fittings) and we have reached out to the Jenn-Air dealer in Moncton NB and they are not taking this seriously. The black top grates, over the flame, scrape very easily. Consequently, the black colour is being rubbed off and exposing the metal underneath. The control panel has become very scratched and we are puzzled. We don't use hard tools or scrape with jewelry but yet the control panel cover becomes discoloured due to the heat of the flame (burnt looking) and scratched.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased this piece of junk about 7 years ago. During this period of time I have replaced the control board twice at about $200 each. Entire control panel twice each costing $150 or so. Also the some of the burners have failed numerous times. The glass top broke and I replaced that at $300. I do the repair work myself so my labor is only time wasted. I understand that these things are manufactured by Whirlpool. I also have a Kenmore washer and dryer which I also understand are built by this company. The washer is on its 4th pump and second motor control board. The dryer is at my shop for total rebuild due to numerous component failures. I have spent more money on parts for these appliances than the original cost. I will never, ever buy another appliance or anything else for that matter, made by Whirlpool.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Starting to find these reviews helpful in choosing everything in life, learn from others experiences! We have a Jenn-Air stove top, it works well, although it’s hard to clean and iron top plates chipped very quickly so aged very quickly. My beef with this product is the knobs that turn the burners on and off, they are so cheaply made that they constantly break and crack so we have been constantly switching them around to hopefully spread around the wear and tear of the knob. Many an occasion I have left the kitchen thinking that I have turned the burner off as it indicated on the knob's position, but only to return to the kitchen a few hours later and noticed heat from the stove, looking closely I could see that the burner flame was still burning on a very low setting even though looking at the knob it was in the off position!!! What a fire hazard!!

I have a house full of hungry teenagers and my gas stove is constantly being used. All the knobs are hanging off and I have to use pliers to turn to a complete off position! What a pain. Over the Christmas period my gas stove was left on for two days!! I called the company and they offered me new knobs at a discount price! Really! The money this company makes you would think they would send the knobs out "complimentary". I will never buy an expensive Jenn-Air product ever again and will tell anyone I know not too because the customer service sucks! If you want your customers to continue coming back you need to accommodate and follow through with good customer service

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Our Jenn-Air gas cooktop is 11 years old and has been a piece of junk from the start. The glass cooktop itself cracked twice within the first two years and the burners have had to be serviced at least three times. We're so tired of calling service that we light one defective burner with a match. Early on two knobs cracked and had to be mended and now that we've decided to replace the knobs they're no longer available. We're going to replace our cooktop and it won't be with a Jenn-Air. Especially after reading consumer reports.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

Less than a year after installation our Jenn-Air 5 burner gas stove top had one of the igniters clicking and needed to be hand lit. After a service call we were informed that the igniter porcelain had chipped after being snagged during cleaning and needed replacing. By the time I purchased necessary parts online another burner had the same issues: So after ordering 2 burner units including igniters in addition to a new knob as one had melted from a hot cookie tray placed on grill. (Note 'cheap' plastic knobs.)

Rescheduled service call only to discover that replacing burner units screws might break and then entire new cooktop might be necessary. I didn't want to risk being w/o a cooktop so I decided not to proceed with repair. We would continue hand lighting. Now four burners have to be hand lit and we have an intermittent obnoxious clicking. Jenn-Air has never offered me any help/replacement. What a piece of junk for almost $1500 of investment. Save your money.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

Rust on new 4 burner JGD3430D cooktop with downdraft. This cooktop was bought in Jan 2016. Supposed to have been a new model. The grate has been cleaned according to the instructions in the manual. 8 months on there's rust on it. And the dealer says Jenn-Air will probably not do anything. The configuration purchased cost about 2200+. Besides the rust, the downdraft (as others on this board have mentioned) is inferior, doesn't seem to do much other than make a loud noise. The previous Jenn-Air model that came with the house (obsolete, unsupported, had been there for about 18 years) had a downdraft that worked much better. Apparently the motor, etc. were downsized in recent years as was their quality, perhaps. The rust on components however is the worst. Other manufacturers' components that cost far less last better for years without this sort of issue. Is there no way to hold Jenn-Air accountable and get them to stand behind their products?

Original review: July 21, 2016

Three years ago we remodeled our kitchen and purchased Jenn-Air stove top from Lowe's for the project. Within a year all of the igniters quit working and would only make a sparking sound. Repairman came out and stated that he needed special tool to repair. He never followed up. Said the job would be too expensive and we probably should just replace the unit. We now use a lighter to light the burners. This is extremely dangerous without the proper igniter. Additionally, we have had to replace all of the cheap flimsy knobs at about $30 apiece. Jenn-Air is a piece of crap!

Original review: July 2, 2016

In the early 1980's we purchased a Jenn-Air electric oven/cooktop. We had it for 12 years and were very satisfied with it. We moved and 6 years ago I decided to replace my gas cooktop with a Jenn-Air cooktop (model JGD8130ADW) so I could have a grill inside. We have had nothing but problems with it since. We had one of the burners replaced while it was still under warranty because the coating was cracking off.

Since then (no longer under warranty) here are the issues we have: coating cracking and rusting in the down draft exhaust; one burner control will not turn at all; one burner quit working. We moved the burner so that it now matches up with the non-functional control. All four burners, including the one we don't use, create a large amount of what looks to be burned metal ash. The metal grate is very discolored. Very difficult to clean - food get down under the controls and you can't get to it, even after removing the control knobs. Occasional spontaneous clicking of the ignite switches on the burners. I'm posting this so other consumers will reconsider this product and look for something else.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2016

I purchased a Jenn-Air gas 4 burner cooktop. It is not what I was hoping for. It is loud, very loud and the noise is the same no matter what blower speed. Actually I don't see any difference in air movement either whether on low, med, or high. When I use the downdraft the flames are sucked over and the downdraft grate gets hotter than the bottom of my pans! If the only place I have for a cooktop is on my kitchen island I would not have it. If you don't want to live in an airplane flight path don't buy this downdraft. Two stars only because the burners work well when not using downdraft.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

We have an older Jenn-Air. Last night the fan came on of its own volition. We were unable to shut off the fan. And by the time we were able to get it shut off by pulling the fuses, the motor/ wires had already started to burn producing a horrid smell. If we had been out at the time I am sure the range would have caught fire. I'm going to replace the Jenn-Air with a different stove.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

The knobs are horrible, grill doesn't work well, just extremely disappointed in general. After 10 years need to replace it already. Have to stay with the downdraft vent because it's on an inside wall. Do NOT want to replace with another Jenn-Air... Any ideas on an alternative replacement?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

We bought a Jenn-Air Cooktop Model JEC9536. The top has been broken and replaced twice. The burners go out one after another with costly repair. The knobs are a joke. If you try to clean around them, they can strip and no longer work. We have replaced knobs so many times, I can't count. Two burners have never worked right. We are now exhausted and will never buy Jenn-Air for any appliance ever.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

I have a JGC7636BS00 cook top that was purchased 1/1/2015. I contacted Jenn Air in Sept 2015 and asked for warranty repairs. A technician came on 10/1, but did not have the parts and rescheduled for 10/10. Another technician came on 10/10, but said he did not have the parts and rescheduled for 8AM 10/17. On 10/17 a technician called me at 1:46 PM and rescheduled for 10/31. A technician came on 10/31 and said he did not have the parts.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

I purchased the 720-0061-LP from Lowe's in 2005. After a couple years I could only grill on half the grill. The left burner was good, the middle was ok and the right didn't work. I lived with this issue since it was workable for me. However this year the burners rusted out (all but the right side) and now I have only flames in the back. Since this grill was built like a tank with no rust or holes (I even kept it uncovered for the last 8 years and live in Illinois) I decided to rebuild it. I purchased cheap burners and heat plates. I also purchased a new regulator which later realized I did not need but was recommended. After putting everything back together I was back to where I was before the burners rusted. The left burner was good, the middle ok and the right did not work. I researched this over and over on the internet but could not find information related to this issue.

I finally decided to inspect the gas valve themselves. Using a flashlight I removed the burners, stuck my head in the grill and noticed that the tip from the one on the right looked perhaps plugged from corrosion. I took a needle and inserted it into the center tip of the valve moving it back and forth a bit. Did the same with the middle valve. I put the burners back on and BAM all my burners are now at 100%. My grill hadn't been this hot in 8 years! This could be one of the reasons why so many people were complaining of low flames. If you have low flames try this trick - it may work for you! Needless to say I cleaning up the grill and I feel that I have a brand new grill! And for $800 10 years ago I feel that I could go another 10 years. Well worth the money. I just wish I had tried this a long time ago.

Original review: July 28, 2015

We have a little over a year old Jenn-Air Designer Line electric cooktop we purchased to replace a 30-year-old unit from Jenn-Air that appears to be almost identical. We purchased all accessory cartridges and purchased extended warranty from Jenn-Air for another 5 years. In the year we have had it, we had the auto fan switch explode, which regular warranty took care of. We had wanted to remove one of our two ceramic cooktop cartridges in the left channel bay of the cooktop to place our grilling element with grills to cook steaks. For whatever reason, the left ceramic cartridge refuses to release. We have had no issues taking out gently any cooking cartridge, as for years we have had Jenn-Air.

So I called Whirlpool, who holds the extended warranty for Jenn-Air to schedule a repair person to solve the problem. Imagine my frustration when I describe the problem with a CS rep for Whirlpool who has me on hold for 5 minutes to see if this is covered! Verdict is, it is NOT! It is deemed a COSMETIC issue. The grilling unit only works in the left bay channel! So I guess we grill on top of the ceramic cooktop? We spent well over $2100 for the unit and double ceramic cartridges, coil units and griddle. I am livid as this seems to be a company who does not honor their extended warranty and will do anything to get out of servicing their products.

Original review: July 17, 2015

SAFETY ISSUE: I've now had four knobs burn up/melt over the three years I've owned the house (the stove itself is 10 years old). They are made of cheap plastic. The smell is terrible when they melt. I don't know why Jenn-Air has not found a solution to this ongoing issue.

Original review: June 17, 2015

For some time the front right burner on my Jenn Air Gas Cooktop would not light and the attempts caused sparking from the other burners. Finally, the other burners stopped lighting except for manual lighting with a match. After being lit, they all sparked. Service repair person could not lift the glass top to make a repair because the 8 burner screws have rusted and disintegrated and he wouldn't take the chance of breaking the top. Jenn Air customer service will sell me 8 screws for $48 plus and they only had one company they could recommend I call and that company is not even accredited by the BBB. Customer service offered no solutions. To whom do I turn? Cooktop is only 7 years old.

Original review: June 14, 2015

We have to replace two Jenn-Air Cook Tops in 5 years. First issue, the burner switch keep broken. To fix it, Part + Labor is 270$. Even after replace a completed new cook top, 3 years after, it dead again. I will not buy any Jenn-Air Cook Tops in the rest of my life.

Original review: June 8, 2015

25 years of moderate to heavy use cooktop replacement knobs had to go generic, and grease filter replacement difficult to find after 22 years. NO PROBLEMS OR FAILURES. Oven has recently developed problem, will not come on unless temperature probe is inserted and setpoint at max. Something in the 'logic' failed, won't go into 'Clean' either. Don't know where to start looking.

Original review: June 3, 2015

We purchased a Jenn-Air downdraft slide-in range on 5/15/2015 from Filco Sacramento. It was installed on 5/26/2015. When we are broiling in the oven and cooking on the stove-top at the same time, the stove top burner control handles get so hot that they will burn your hands when you touch them. We contacted Jenn-Air Customer Service at 1-800-536-6247 and were told by their customer service representative that you are supposed to use oven mits to turn the stove-top burner controls. We previously had a Jenn-Air downdraft slide-in range prior to purchasing this new model. We never had an issue with the control handles getting so hot you can't touch them.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

Bought a Jenn Air Ceramic Cooktop in November 2013. February 2014 - 3 of 5 burner switches failed - 3 months out of warranty. $250.00 for the switches and $180 for the labor. Make up your own mind about buying this product.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

We purchased our stove about 10 years ago. It has an oven and the top has four burners and one of the burners can be replaced with a grille type burner. After eight years we had to replace one of the double burners, which come as one unit. Within a year one of those burners stopped working. One of the other double burners stopped working and we have to now replace it.

The rear burner stopped working first and the front burner now has a crack and the flames are emitting from the crack. Each double burners costs about $280. Not cheap. I would never buy another Jenn-Air. The part came from Whirlpool Corp in Carlisle, PA JGA810ADB.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

We purchased the jenn-air gas stove top with grill along with the electric double wall oven in 1998 when we did our kitchen over. The temp on the oven(s) has never been right. We had it calibrated several times in first few years. My wife finally gave up and just sets the temp 25 degrees higher than called for. I am not a fan of gas grills but thought having a gas stove top with grill would keep everyone happy. We very rarely use it as the fan is so weak the kitchen fills with smoke and allows the grease in the smoke to dirty the ceiling. We had service done in the beginning and had a completely new fan and motor installed. Worked a hair better but still not strong enough to exhaust the smoke and grease when using the grill. We had an electric stove top for probably 10 years prior to the gas unit. Between the two and previous comments read here, I would never purchase a jenn-air again or recommend to anyone considering changing.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

The wire to the spark igniter was burnt and needed to be replaced. Service man came and used black electrical tape to isolate the wire harness instead of replacing it. We are still having problem with burner.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

I have a Jenn-Air oven, microwave, dishwasher & gas stove top that we purchased as a package. It was the biggest mistake ever! Not only were they very expensive, I have had nothing but problems with all of them. I can't clean the gas burners very well... and the rings around them are not removable. The glass surface which I clean after every use, has spots that can't be removed with vinegar, commercial stove top cleaners or baking soda. The oven takes forever to preheat and doesn't maintain the temperature. It took 6 months to get the microwave replaced... the first one didn't work at all, and the dishwasher fried my pans on the normal setting. Can only use the one hour setting. Their customer service is terrible. I would NEVER buy or recommend Jenn-Air... very bad experience.

Jenn-Air Cook Tops Company Information