Call toll free
4.67/5
Based on 165 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

497 Independent Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

The tub installation was exceptionally thought out and executed. The surrounding woodwork enclosure was very well done and because of the change in floor size Jay expertly installed flooring. We are extremely pleased with the result and would recommend it to anyone. Jay was very easy to work with, agreeable and knowledgeable and consulted with us every step of the way. Well done!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

Bathroom remodel - The end product is very nice and will be used extensively. Issues during installation were resolved quickly. The only concerns I have found so far is with a grab bar crooked and misaligned corners on the tub shelf. These are correctable problems that I have not yet reported.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Installer was very friendly and helpful. I felt confident in the work he was doing. He explained everything as he went along which helped me understand. And also when he was finished showing how it worked. I have no negative thoughts about his work or his manner. I love the end product.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I was 100% satisfied with Independent Home. We liked the way the tub looked. Our purchasing process with them went well. The sales rep came out and we were informed of what would take place and it basically took place that way. We then negotiated the paperwork when the two men came to install it. Everything went smoothly and they did a good job. Overall, I would recommend Independent Home to anyone.

Hi Robert!

Thank you for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 6, 2018

I really like the walk-in tub I have from Independent Home. My knees have stopped bothering me so much which was driving me crazy for a lot of years. During the installation, the installer was friendly and helpful. He is also going to change a few things if I ask for it.

Independent Home response

Hello Joy! We are glad to hear that your knee pain isn't bothering you so much now that you are using the walk in tub. :)

Independent Home Customer Care Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: July 5, 2018

Gerald ** and his crew were great. They were efficient, friendly and knew their job. They did a fantastic job with the install. The tub and bathroom looks wonderful and they left it as clean as before they came. I highly recommend him.

Independent Home response

Thanks for your note Kim! We are happy when you are happy!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Great experience, Dean and Angela were wonderful to work with, thank you very much! Everyone was very friendly, courteous, and professional. Would highly recommend them to anyone. Can't wait to try out the new spa. Dean worked through some hard places to get my spa installed and running great!

Independent Home response

Hi Priscilla, Thank your for sharing your experience and for your recommendation of Independent Home. Have a great day!

Original review: July 3, 2018

My husband had a medical procedure that required a walk-in shower. Our old shower had an 8-inch step-up into the shower and that wasn't gonna work. When I went online and investigated, somehow my name came up on Independent Home's list and they called me. We made an appointment with the salesperson to come and talk with us and make a pitch, we got the information from them and it was something that could be done rather quickly. My husband was tired of having to try to get from a wheelchair onto a shower chair into a tub, and I was tired of trying to step up into the shower because I have a bad knee. They met our needs and did it in a timely fashion and at a reasonable cost.

The installers from Independent Home were great. We had them install a shower and they were professional. They cleaned up after themselves, answered all of our questions and showed us how to use the devices. The shower's easy to get into and out of, it's safe and has lots of grab bars on it to facilitate my husband getting in. It has a shower chair that was installed at the same time. Everything works fine and we love it.

Hi Mary!

Thank you for sharing your experience! We work hard to provide the best customer service and quality bathing solutions.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 2, 2018

I've got a bad back and my wife has bad knees, and we could hardly use the bathroom that we had. We couldn't get in and out of our bathtub without kicking the hell out of the shower door rail. It was really a miserable situation. Independent Home called me on the telephone and said they'd sent somebody out to show me their products. Mike, the in-home sales representative showed us their products. They started out with a $16,000 amount and I'm not sure what it came down to. The guy told me there would never be any interest on the loan. Then I decided to go for it because I couldn't get any of my friends to help me do the work that I needed to do.

I would like to emphasize that there is absolutely nothing wrong with their product. It’s a very nice shower enclosure and I'm very grateful to be able to use it. I'm absolutely satisfied with what I've got. My problem with Independent Home is they turned around and defrauded me by selling my loan to Synchrony Bank which has the highest interest rate I have ever seen. If I miss a payment, the rate will jump to 26.99% interest.

I was totally convinced that there would be absolutely no interest and that the $12,000 will be all that I would pay after I paid my $1,000 down. They didn't say a single word to me about selling my note. They didn't point it out in the contract. I could have gotten this bathroom renewal for $6,000 right here in town, but I will have paid $18,000 for a 24-square foot bathroom. And all they did was take the tub out, replace the flooring, put in a new drain, and put in the shower enclosure. The only upside of it is the loan is uncollateralized. In other words, my house is not in danger of being taken if I renege on the note.

I think my situation is exploitation of the elderly. My house isn't hardly worth $40,000. It's basically a frame house with metal siding and a bad roof. For that kind of money, I should have had a real tiled floor, installed a 36-inch door and have replace the sink that they broke its pedestal during installation. I should have gotten a new toilet too. They just said, "Well, that wasn't part of the order." If a friend would ask me about Independent Home, I'd tell them to call somebody else first. They may be getting a good product and a quick change but they should think if it is worth it for the rest of their lives.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The installers were very nice, cleaned up behind themselves, and did a good job. I'm happy with it. Independent Home did fine, but I'm disappointed with the walk-in tub. It's too cold to get in there and by the time it gets the water in there, you're about half-frozen. And it eats up a lot of hot water. I run out of hot water before it gets filled up, and I've got a good hot water heater. The tub was just not what I had hoped for.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Our new shower and counter top is gorgeous. From the very beginning our experience with Independent Home, Inc has been simple, complete and flawless. From Danyell coming to our home to present their product, to ordering and scheduling our installation, down to the actual install, everything could not have gone smoother. Our installer, John, was an impeccably hard worker. His professionalism, diligence and communication throughout his work in our home was none other than awesome!! I wish we knew about Independent Home, Inc. a few years ago. Giving my disabled husband a shower will be easier and safer for both of us. Thank you so much!

Hi Gery & Patricia,

Thank you for sharing your story and for your compliments! We will pass on your praise to Danyell and John. :) Have a great holiday!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Install of new spa - Jason and Josh were fantastic. They were very efficient in there work. Cleaned up great after the work was done and while they were working everything stayed clean. I didn't have to worry about them at all. I felt safe in the house with them. I had a nail appointment and left them there to work while I was gone.

Independent Home response

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience Gloria! Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 28, 2018

I was amazed that they were on time every day. They took time to explain everything they were doing. They allowed us to keep certain parts we asked for. They were very courteous and understanding. They worked hard each day. They didn't bother any of our personal items.

Independent Home response

Hi Roy, thanks for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs!

Original review: June 26, 2018

The installation crew did a great job. They worked efficiently and always treated me with respect. They did a great job cleaning up after themselves. They gave me a clear explanation of the features of the shower. I am more than pleased with their work and my new shower.

Independent Home response

Hi Janet - We are happy you are pleased with our product and service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I’d been thinking about a walk-in tub & after some reviews decided on Independent Homes. I could not be happier with my decision. I’m 73 with fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, lymphoma cancer history & back pain due to advanced degenerative facet arthrosis, (simply spine arthritis). I also have some vision problems which causes balance problems so safety is a major issue for me. I’ve had my spa tub about a month & look forward to using it every day. The installation was completed in one long day which amazed me. The guys were very professional, personable & took great care in protecting my wood floors. They had to move some furniture to create a work path & returned my furniture & cleaned up everything on completion of the job.

It was obvious they had done this many times & I am so very satisfied with the results. The tub has 8 water jets & 30 three speed air jets, chromatherapy & aromatherapy. All the controls are easily accessible & easy to operate. I love the quiet motor & the self cleaning system. The controlled water temperature allows me to be able to enjoy staying in the tub for an extended period of time without the water getting cold. The system turns itself off after 20 minutes as a safety feature, but can be easily restarted for another 20 minutes which I usually do since my best pain relief comes in about 30 minutes of use. Actually there is nothing about my spa tub that I don’t like & I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Independent Home response

Hi Diane - Thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. We are happy to hear it! Have a wonderful day.

Original review: June 26, 2018

If you’re looking for a smooth process with professional and reliable people who care about you and your home, this is the company that will take care of you! We had all of our questions answered and our installation team was a pleasure to have in our home!

Independent Home response

Hi Shasta, Thanks for your kind words. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 25, 2018

I’ve heard good things about Independent Home's service. If something goes wrong I could call and also that I can pick the tub up and move it to another home. And if I want to they will come in and hook it up. My husband had major back surgery and he could not get in and out of our tub so he needs a walk-in tub. We have a very small bathroom. We could’ve taken the tub out and put the shower in, but the shower is so small. So water would have been everywhere. And I didn’t have time to be adding on, knocking out walls because I needed to get to have something ready for him three weeks after rehabilitation in the hospital. My only option was to do a walk-in tub.

If it had been a shower stall, he still would have to sort of twist to get in there and he could fall. And I would have to stay there with him all the time. In this way, I can get him in the tub and he can sit there and bathe himself. The Independent Home sales guy came and I bought it that day. He gave us even a better discount because my husband is a veteran. The installers worked like a well-oiled machine together. It was sort of funny. They were an older man and a younger guy. But they just knew what each other was doing and there weren’t a lot of talk. They just went to work and got it done. They knew everything. I was watching them and everything they did, I thought, “Wow, this is good.” They did a wonderful job putting it in.

I had a carpenter come in and redo the whole bathroom. After they left, I had everything ripped out and we put a new toilet. They gave me a new toilet. They were nice people to deal with. Everything has worked perfectly and I can’t say that about everything else that I’ve had done since my husband got sick. I’m very satisfied and I’ve been recommending Independent Homes to our neighbors down the street. The wife is gonna have similar back surgery to my husband’s. Her husband came down here, talked to us and he wanted to see the tub and all that because they have small bathroom too. And I said, “Well, see, this will fit the footprint. You can put this in.” That’s what’s really important especially in these older homes.

Independent Home response

Hi Olive, Thank you for your recommendation of our walk-in tubs. We are happy to have served you and we are happy your husband can now bathe safely and independently.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We needed a walk in shower for my mother in law who lives in queens the whole experience was fabulous and very professional. The owner Ari was always in contact with us and the installer was great the final product exceeded our expectation.

Independent Home response

Hi Sherri, Thanks for the note and kind words. Have a great day!

Original review: June 24, 2018

My husband and I needed a walk-in bath tub since we were older people and also, I’m crippled. The man from Independent Home called us and asked if he could come and talk to us. One time, somebody from another company came and talked to us but they wanted so much more so my husband told them no and that it cost more than the house. We got a walk-in shower from Independent and it’s nice. It's got a seat in it where we can sit down. I can stand, but I do have the seat if I need it and it's got a handheld thing we use for the feet. It also has a real shower overhead. The installers were polite and cleaned up really good. We enjoy the walk-in shower and I'd recommend Independent Home to anybody who wants it.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I've checked walk-in bathtubs for quite some time and when I spoke to Independent Home's salesperson and told him about the very small area where I'm gonna put it, he said that they've got one that will take care of it and asked if I could let him come over, look it over, measure and see exactly. I said yes and so I got a tub that fit in perfectly. A nice young couple of guys came, did their work and cleaned all up. They were wonderful, very nice, and very polite. So far, the overall quality of the bathtub has been good and I would recommend Independent Home.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We called Independent Home and the salesman came by. However, I had a little problem as it appeared that everybody in the world would get the same discount they offered so it was nothing special. Nevertheless, the walk-in tub seemed to be a good product and though we didn't do as much research as we might have, we found out it was within the range of the prices. Even though the price bothered me some, the purchasing experience was okay. I gave them my credit card number, they checked it and it was valid. Then I paid for the tub. The installers were efficient, interesting and of good humor. They let me watch and they did a great job. They also put in a water heater and a garbage disposal for me, which I requested initially. Later on, they installed a water heater. Everything has been working fine since. Still, I'd tell friends to do more research than we did.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I can't fully describe the satisfaction I feel with my purchase of the Hydrotherapy Spa by Independent Home. The sales representative was very knowledgeable about every aspect of the system and kindly answered all of my many questions. As a microbiologist for over 40 years, I feel reassured about the in-use Double Ozone Purification System, as well as the post-use Self-Purging Cleaning System. This is not an ordinary walk in tub, but a Hydrotherapy System, and IS MADE IN AMERICA! Additionally, the Life Time Warranty on Workmanship AND the Motor eases my mind, giving me one less thing to worry about.

The superb installation team of John and his son John Paul were professional, and very nice. They made every effort to lessen the impact of the construction project, and took very good care of my house. They had to perform an extra step of pouring a six inch slab of concrete since my old tub had been sunken, and still finished the work on time beautifully. Both of them were kind and considerate, and fun to talk to.

I purchased the Hydrotherapy Spa because I have Arthritis in every joint. My Rheumatologist told me this treatment will give me a lot of relief from pain and the number of down days. I still work full time in the medical field, spend as much time in my huge gardens as I can, take care of my house, and spend time with my family. But anyone with Arthritis understands how difficult this can be at times. I have been showering for several years, anxious about bathing in my sunken Whirlpool tub. I had several falls in my home and garden and knew the potential consequences if I fell in the tub, especially if it were full. I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to be informed of such a wonderful product that will dramatically improve my quality of life. Thank you so very much Independent Home and Staff!

Independent Home response

Hi Donna! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. We appreciate your kind words and are proud to have worked with you on this project.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The lady from Independent Home who came here was very pleasant. She explained everything, and since we had talked about getting a bathtub all year, we decided to go ahead and do it. We really like the model that we got. Purchasing it was fairly easy, and the installers were very good and very polite.

Independent Home response

Hi Mary - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Independent Home. We are happy to hear it! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 11, 2018

I didn’t like the way Independent Home's salesperson sold the tub to me. A lot of things he said is not practical. I told him I wanted it installed inside the bathroom shower and he said, “That’s no problem. We can do it. We can change the roof and you can do all these things.” He was sugarcoating a lot of things. The person who came to do the work said it was impossible to do it that way. So then they had to change it.

The salesperson thought because I’m an older person, he could oversell me. The installer came from a different state. But that’s not what the salesman told me. He told me the person is local. And if I have any problems or anything, I can tell them and they can come and fix it. Now the installer is in North Carolina so that was also another gimmick that the salesman used. The first time when he did all this, I said, “You are a good salesman.” But now I feel like he’s not a good salesman. He was only looking for himself.

I had a Jacuzzi and we had to take the Jacuzzi out and put the one I have from Independent Home. Now I wish I hadn’t done that. I feel like I wasted my $14000 -- closer to $15000. He cheated me with all the increased price and he said that we had to remove two doors in order to get the tub in. And finally there was only one door removed. They took $250 out of that one, because the door costs that much. I really like it. So I have to pay whatever they asked. But what they charged was not necessary. And finally I had to pay $4000.

Also with what I have now I need to get inside before I start the water. With the Jacuzzi I can fill the water and then get inside it. So it was a big mistake I made, changing my Jacuzzi. I said I might get some help for my pain and aching of my leg. But no, that’s just the same gimmick. The Independent Home tub has almost the same effect I was getting from the Jacuzzi. I don’t recommend Independent Home to anybody. So if you have a Jacuzzi, don’t take it out. Use that one. This is worse than Jacuzzi and I'm very dissatisfied.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My husband died a couple of years ago and I needed to redo his bedroom, the hospital bed, his bath and all kinds of stuff. A good Independent Home salesman came to the front door and I said, “Come tell me what you can do as far as this bath tub is concerned” because I moved upstairs right above my husband’s room all the while he was sick. I said I need some sort of impetus to get me down to the first floor again and stay in the bedroom where he died. They showed me all they could do including take out that old bath tub and all the surrounding things. And I wanted a seat in there to sit down because I’m in my 80’s. I needed to sit down to wash my feet instead of trying to balance myself. I got the one where I have a seat in one corner that drains at the back. They enlarged the drain and put in a real fancy one as far as being able to sit there and handle the hot water, whether standing up shower or sitting down shower.

The installation team was very polite. They were thorough as far as telling me when they were gonna be back and what they were gonna be doing. They cleaned up all the stuff to break up a tub, plus the walls and the ceiling. They did a super job. They went even to the point of hanging the curtain and telling why they were putting a cloth curtain there. They said because the rubber ones seem to go and touch and hold against you, and they shed the water. And even in putting the tub in, they asked then if they could send people to look at it so I already have all my neighbors to come and look.

Independent Home response

Thanks for your recommendation Shirley!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 9, 2018

Usually I don’t like salesmen but David from Independent Home is so driven. I’m always trying to get people involved on another side of an argument but that doesn’t work with David. The Independent Home walk-in tub gives me the independence that I cherish. I really praise the girl that’s been giving me a bath. But I’d still like to take a bath by myself. And I like to shave and brush my teeth while I’m in my bath. They’re the only things I can do by myself now. The installation team came in the morning and they left in the evening and it was done. They were quick as it can be and they worked hard. The tub is very comfortable. The seat was hard and I have a tender posterior. My housekeeper went down and got a waterproof cushion and it really was nice. So that worked out good.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Independent Home was the first one to come along and they came and put the bathtub in. Buying it was good and it all went on schedule.

Independent Home response

Paul, Thank you for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had my Independent Home walk-in tub for three weeks now. I enjoy it and it's fine except it has a blower on the back that when you're sitting in there and you turn the bubbles on, the blower blows cold air on your back. And I don't like that. But the salesman and the man that came and put it in were both wonderful. They were very helpful and assured me that if something was missing or arise, they would fix it. Independent Home seems to be a reputable company.

Original review: June 6, 2018

My experience with Independent Home was wonderful. I love it. I'm 76 and I live by myself, so it's just perfect for me. I wouldn't trade it off for anything. It was very expensive, and it was something I had to consider about buying because of the expense, but they did give me quite a bit of discount. They gave me a medical discount also, which was $2,000 off of it 'cause of my medical problems. Then they gave me other discounts that were available for me, and I used them too. They worked with me and they made it so that I could afford it. They started $23,000 and it moved down to quite a bit less than that. If people can afford it, they need to drop that money into that tub. They need to get one 'cause they don’t realize how safe they are.

The sales rep was wonderful as well. He was here for a long time 'cause we got involved in other situations and we also talked about other things besides the tub. The installation crew was great, too. They asked if there was anything they could do and help me with in the house 'cause I had just moved in more than a year ago and I was still unpacking, and then I had things that I couldn’t do. They helped me move my stuff out on the driveway and then they put it back up for me. They also took me to Lowe’s 'cause I didn’t have a car. They made themselves feel like family.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I've enjoyed my Independent Home tub quite well. The installers did an excellent job. My only problem is it's a little pricey. I got a friend, got the same thing for $4,000 less. I also don’t like the way they do their financing. I received a credit card, but it's not a credit card. It's only good for Independent Home and my payments are based off of that. And I don’t like that. They should've just set up an account and sent me a bill. But Independent Home seems to do what they say they’ll do.

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

Independent Home has been a manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002. The company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information