Call toll free
4.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

552 Independent Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I like Independent Home and I've put the word out for them too. it is a great company and they have a great crew working for them. I purchased the tub due to my health problems. I’ve had back surgery and I have serious problems with my legs. And the gentleman who came out was very forthcoming and patient. He walked through the whole process with me and there was no pushing. When he came back to do some additional caulking, he even stopped at Walmart and picked up a shower curtain and a curtain rod. He didn’t have to do that but he did and he even hung those for me. The guy was fantastic.

The installers were very good also. They laid down stuff so they didn’t track through the house and they cleaned up after themselves. Plus they were very careful not to bang stuff around. I was very impressed with the whole process. The tub has been a big plus for me too. It’s been a big relief for legs and backs. As a matter of fact, my brother used the tub while he was here and he enjoyed it as well. He has diabetes and he used it a couple of times. He very much liked it.

Hello Bee!

Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your story about working with Independent Home. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I'm 83 years old and I was falling in my regular tub and slipping up in it. I didn't want to hurt myself, so I decided to get a walk-in bathtub. I was trying to get the cheapest way out and went with Independent Home. Now, I don't have to worry about slipping like I would in a regular tub. I'm real pleased with the tub and I’m enjoying it. I would recommend Independent Home 100%.

Hi Wesley!

Thanks for your 100% recommendation of Independent Home Walk In Tubs!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

It had a quadruple bypass operation and the hospital people kept pressing me to not get in and out of a tub without someone with me because I could fall. They made me so afraid of taking a tub bath. I had two tubs but I was terrified. I didn't take a bath and I just hand washed at the sink for a month. So, I decided to get a walk-in bathtub. Somebody from Independent Home came here to tell us about their tub and then, somebody came a couple of weeks later to put it in which was wonderful. The installer would stop to explain things, then we understood and left but the installation was so smooth and it was all done in one day. We came back later to put the holder up for the soaps and it was perfect! I didn't think I'd like that little wire thing holding the shower head but I've learned to adjust to it beautifully.

The first time I stepped into the tub, I thought it was a little high inside because it's higher than the floor but I love the tub! I can now take a shower without anybody around. I had independence. I can't just take a shower when I wanted to before. I had to have somebody there but now, I got a lot of freedom from being stuck on other people and their timing. The Independent Home tub was well worth every penny.

Hi Judith!

We are happy to hear that now you can bathe safely with your Independent Home Walk-In Tub and are no longer afraid of taking a bath or shower!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Neither Kirk nor I could get in and out of our old tub anymore. We consulted Independent Home and their sales representative came out to the house. He was very friendly and helpful, and gave us all the information that we needed. We liked the walk-in bathtub that they offered and we decided to go ahead and buy one. We got the biggest tub model they had. The two installers were very efficient and did a great job. They told us the installation would take up to nine hours, but they finished the job in six and a half hours. Everything looks very nice and we’re very happy with the tub. I would purchase a tub from Independent Home again in a heartbeat.

Independent Home response

Hi Janet, Thanks for sharing your story. We will be sure to pass on your kind praise to our installation team in Arizona. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My husband and I, and our children have been talking about ways to handle getting older. We had been talking about tubs and we were looking into the possibilities of changing that part of the bathroom. So when we were approached by an Independent Home rep, it made good sense to look more seriously. There was nothing that we could find that was negative so we went with them. We probably would not have done it, have we not talked to our kids before. We have been encouraged by them to think about changes because we're on this foot level house and we're getting older. We always shower so we need it.

The installation team worked very fast. However, one of the ceramic tile on the floor got damaged in their removal of the other tub. And the cluster board, the back-end wall brick has a hole in the wall, which does not make us thrilled. That was disappointing. It's a major job to change that floor and there was no effort to replace it or even fix the hole in the wall. My son's coming for Thanksgiving. He may be able to fix it himself or we can figure out what we're gonna do. Other than that, the most we have is settling cracks. Overall, both my husband and I are enjoying the tub so far. We don't have to worry about being able to get over into the bathtub itself. We feel it's much safer. I'd tell others to do their research and look at what the companies offer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Independent Home's rep was very efficient and professional. He was right on time for his appointment. The installation team was wonderful. They made sure that everything was done properly before they left. They even took the old tub out and cleaned up their mess when they were done. My wife couldn't step over the old bathtub to get in and we love the walk-in tub. We've had a little bit of problem with the leaking around the door, but it's because of the amount of pressure we put in closing the door. It's just a matter of going far enough, but not too far. I'd tell friends to come over and try it. They'd be sold.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your review of your experience with us. We are glad you are enjoying your walk in tub and you are kind for letting your friends try it too!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My mother had a really severe arthritis and had fallen and gotten a compression fracture. It was really hard for her to get in and out of the other tub. I was purchasing the Independent Home for her and before it got installed, she passed away. After my mom died, my dad got sick and been in and out of the hospital in emergency rooms and doctors' offices. I had to take a medical leave of absence to stay home with him and get things situated. I thought my dad would be able to use the tub, but he can't because he is in much worse shape than my mom was, and he can't get in and out of it without a lot of difficulties. So I have to have a walk-in shower installed somewhere. My sister and I use it, and we like it.

The rep was very professional and very knowledgeable. I like the features and the price that I got. The installation team did a good job. It was installed properly and it works fine. However, it was supposed to take two days and they were here for almost a week and they've come in late. I had a cast iron tub which they broke out instead of trying to just take it out and move. The man and his wife came, and he said normally his son comes, so I'm assuming that was why he decided he had to bust it up to get it out because his wife couldn't carry that heavy tub. Nevertheless, I'd recommend Independent Home. I was just a little disappointed with the time thing.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My husband is gonna be 80 next year and I’m gonna be 79. The jacuzzi tub we have is a really big one and it’s surrounded by a deck in the bathroom. At our age, getting in and out of that tub is difficult. So, we looked into getting a walk-in tub as a safety factor. We figured we could put that in so we could sit down to take a bath or we could stand up or sit down to take a shower.

Independent Home contacted us last year, but we weren’t ready to buy a tub then. I told them to give us a call later this year and that was what they did. We told them what space we had. We have a 5-piece bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, a separate toilet, double sinks, and a separate shower. The tub would take the place of the shower. The space we had for the shower was four feet long, so the tub had to fit into that space since that was the only place we could put it in. We bought a 48-inch tub as that was exactly what we had room for. Then we got our tub in 48 hours.

The installation went very smoothly. The installers not only installed a new tub but installed a new hot water heater as well. There were two guys working on removing the old water heater and installing the new one, and there were three guys consisting of an electrician, a plumber, and a supervisor working on the tub. Afterwards, they cleaned up everything and took out the old shower and the tile surround. They did an outstanding job and did it all in one day. I would certainly recommend Independent Home to anybody. They did a fantastic job.

Hi Gerald & Elizabeth!

We are happy to have been a part of your walk in tub project and are happy to hear that our teams did an outstanding job for you both! Thank you for working with us!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My husband is not well so I thought I would be able to use Independent Home more with him. But I don't think I'm going to be able to do what I thought I would be able to do with him. I did get him in there once and filled it up most of the way, and he seemed to enjoy it, but it takes so long to fill up. Nonetheless, the salesman was very congenial. I enjoyed talking to him. The installer did a good job. He was very professional, he worked well and cleaned up after himself.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Independent Home came by the house and I talked with their rep. I got the tub with the shower since we're getting older and we need something like that. During installation, the installers were very polite and did a perfect job. They did it in a day’s time. I love my tub and I’m very pleased with it. It feels good when I use it and I relax better.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We had talked about getting a walk-in tub off and on and my wife heard about Independent Home. Purchasing from them was very easy to do. The installation took one day and the techs were very nice and courteous. The bathroom was spotless after they were done. They did a fabulous job.

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs! Have a great day.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

This company tried to put in a walk in shower style that I did not order and was subpar. When I complained one of the 4 people I talked to, named Greg, tried to intimidate and bully me into accepting their product. I also found out from my plumbers that they damaged my joists in my floor and did not do any plumbing in the correct way! The people that installed the shower were not plumbers or licensed contractors and should not be do this work. For people that may have gotten the correct tub or shower still do not know the damage that was done under the tub or shower or their house.

This company should be put out of business! If you are reading this do not hire this company and if you already have, please have a plumber check the plumbing work and structural work that was done during installation! If you have had a problem with this company and were not satisfied, contact your Attorney General in your state to see if something can be done to stop them from scamming and cheating senior citizens across the country!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The Independent Home bathtub is a quality product. It was the most expensive bathtub but I like all the features and the quality of what we were getting for the money on it. We got the one with a lot of aerators and a lot of air flow things to stir the bath and the installer did a good job installing it. It took a day to complete it. All in all, I have a real good experience with Independent Home.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

One of my friends in a nearby town told me that there was a guy over at her house, trying to sell her an Independent Home walk-in tub. She lives off her Social Security and couldn't afford it. She as told she could get a loan, but she doesn't don’t make that much off Social Security to pay a loan off. I said I was interested in the walk-in tub and to send the guy over. She gave him my phone number and he made an appointment with me.

I’ve seen pictures of other brands and some of the prices were more than what Independent Home's were. Independent Home's price of $16,000 is still too damn high though. They say everybody can afford it. If it cost about $5,000, everybody would probably have one, but it cost $16,000. I’m fortunate enough to have money to get one but I know six other people that came over here, looked at it and said they wish they could afford one. The other ones cost even more, with some costing 25.

You couldn’t find anybody any better and nicer than the two guys that put it in. They were terrific. They took one day for the installation, plus they also installed a water heater that day. I had some trouble with mine though. The part that ran the air bubbles and the water motion inside of it went out about a month after I got the tub. It was all covered, but I had to call somebody and it took them two weeks to get here. I could still take a bath, but I couldn’t run the air jets and the water circulation. That's what helps me a whole lot. I have trouble with my legs and it makes them feel a whole lot better. They were so busy at the time because they also contract and build houses. The walk-in tubs are just a sideline for them.

The tub is convenient but it says down at the bottom that the tub is 3 inches off the floor, but mine is 9 inches off the floor. I’m bound to a motorized wheelchair and I can get up, but I can’t walk. As long as I’m holding onto something, I don't have difficulty getting in and out the tub. But once I sit down, I have to have my son to help me get back up whenever I wanna stand up in the tub. Everybody should have an Independent Home walk-in tub if they could afford it.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

All of us are getting up in age and it was hard for us to step over in a tub. I got a telephone call, we set up an appointment, and the reps came out and talked to us. My buying experience was good due to the way the rep explained things and the ones who put the tub in were good. They cleaned up their mess and did everything perfectly in one day. It's easier to take a bath now. Independent Home is wonderful.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Independent Home's purchasing process was very easy. I could either pay it off all the way, in six months or without interest for 18 months. My interaction with their installation team went very well. They installed the walk in tub perfectly and we're very much satisfied with it. However, I've had a knee surgery so I haven’t been able to use it for the last four weeks. Nevertheless, I’d highly recommend them.

Hi Patricia,

We hope for a speed recovery from your knee surgery and we are happy to hear that our install team did an excellent job. Thanks for your recommendation.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We got a call from an Independent Home rep and I liked how how the rep handled the phone call, the unit's price and that they're guaranteed for a lifetime. The salesman thought that the model type that we got was a good one for us. And it seemed to have exactly what we wanted. The installation team had a terrible time the first week that they came to deliver and install. They had a car accident and the tub was totally destroyed so they had to reorder it. They came back a week later and they installed the tub in a matter of hours. They did an excellent work and they did exactly what we needed and wanted. I would recommend Independent Home. In fact, I tell others to give them a try and see if it will work for them.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for being patient with the car accident on delivery day. We appreciate your kind words your recommendation of Independent Home!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We liked the Independent Home walk-in tub's price and the rep's speeches so we decided to go with them. Everything about the installation was good. We had a nice experience overall. Eugene is enjoying the walk-in tub.

Hi Carolyn,

We are happy to hear you had a nice experience with our rep and our installation team. We are glad you are enjoying the walk in tub. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We had a phone call about Independent Home's walk-in bathtubs. We had been thinking about it and they offered to come out, and it sounded like it was a good one. My husband is a large man and we thought it would be good to get the big one. We went with Independent Home and our experience with their walk-in bathtub has been good. Two men came and they worked hard and fast and got the installation done.

The installer told me he would be back again to double check everything. They only came back once, but they were gonna come again. However, they didn't get something put over. It's nothing serious and the tub is working efficiently, although it's good if I can keep my husband to remember to not try to open the door before all the water is out. It's a lot of mess to clean up and that’s our little problem. Otherwise, we are very pleased with the tub. It fits fine into our bathroom. We fortunately already took out a big Jacuzzi, so there was plenty of room. Independent Home is a step ahead and we’ve already recommended them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I got a tub from Independent Home which has a handheld shower that can be put up for a regular shower. The water jets are small but rather powerful when we use it. It's about a 6-inch step to get in the shower and for me, since I am somewhat handicapped, it's easier to get in than out. But other than that, I like the tub very well and I like the features which I can use in various different ways.

The interaction I had with the rep was very pleasant and he was convincing that the tub was the kind to buy. He seemed to know what he was talking about and since we got it, we believe him still. The installation team was also very pleasant and seemed to be an expert in their knowledge of what to do. It only took four to five hours for them to complete the installation which included removing and replacing the old tub, shower and commode. They also had to take the door in the bathroom off and reverse it so it'd open a different way. All in all, it was an excellent job when it got finished.

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for documenting your experience with Independent Home. We are happy that you are happy!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The installers (Dean & Alex) were very polite and very efficient with the work of installing the new tub/shower. The manner in which the job was done was excellent. I would recommend them to anyone that needs a walk-in spa.

Independent Home response

Thanks for giving kudos to our installation teams Sandra! We will be sure to let them know!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I got a call about walk-in bathtubs but I was thinking about it already. The guy from Independent Home was very thorough and I was impressed with his presentation. They sent two ladies out for the installation who were so professional and sweet. I was so pleased with them. I’ll be 86 in November and I had to make do with a shower for years so I’m enjoying the walk-in tub every day.

Hi Della,

No more "making due with a shower" now that you have the walk in tub! We are happy you are enjoying it everyday.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My wife has to go to a masseuse and a chiropractor and I thought about buying an Independent Home tub with hydrotherapy, so it would help her. The dealer was nice and during installation the guy was here when he was scheduled for. I just stayed out of his way and he got it done in 2 days. They did a good job and they cleaned up after themselves. The shower is what I used mostly and it was a little small. I don’t have much space on it but it did work here.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your kind recommendation. Have a wonderful day!

Resolution response: Oct. 8, 2018

I spoke with members of the corporation today. It appears we have reached an acceptable solution to this issue and they have agreed to complete this in a timely fashion. We realize that mistakes can happen and feel they are taking the appropriate steps to correct the matter and we expect rectification by the end of the week. They were professional and their responses to our family’s concern were addressed with respect.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Sadly, my family's experience does not match the reviews I have read. My elderly parents (one with extremely limited mobility, aged 91 years, and the other with orthopedic injuries, aged 90) and I met with a salesman last week. He portrayed himself as knowledgeable, professional, and caring. A plan was chosen and a scheduled implementation date of one week later was chosen. Midway through the week, he called me to ask if the install date can occur one day earlier, to which we agreed. They arrived on time and all appeared to be going well until the tub came in. My dad saw that it was the wrong one and he called our salesman. Our salesman said he spoke with his boss who advised that our parents' situation would be better suited with the configuration delivered. OUR SALESMAN DID NOT DISCLOSE THIS, NOT DID ANYONE COME TO REMEASURE!!!

Additionally, the movement of plumbing was in the contract and price, which was not done. Sadly, the tub does not work because there is no room to open the door due to the location of the toilet. Again, no one came out to remeasure, they only destroyed the existing bathroom rendering us helpless. The installer said that the job was 'GOOD ENOUGH" AND THE SALESMAN HAD THE AUDACITY TO ASK FOR MORE MONEY, which of course was not given to him. The contract also called for a new toilet. This was met with the cheapest toilet the big box store had to offer. This has been an insulting, disappointing, and eye opening experience.

We have been fed numerous untruths about this entire project. Additionally, the door does not lock when closed, leaving water all over the floor, the shower to faucet button does not work, the shower head does not come out far enough into the tub to be able to stand under the shower, and now, my elderly parents are extremely distraught over the mess left behind. We were told someone would call; WHEN? WHO? Don't know.

Not that it even matters at this point but the $1500 coupon advertised on the website was not even offered. Our salesman also insists that there is no extra cost involved in moving plumbing from one side of a room to another, breaking tiles, and replacing with new grout, tiles, trim, etc. It is as if he believes we are uneducated and have no idea what is involved in a project of this magnitude. This bath was intended to make their lives simpler, easier, more peaceful. It has done nothing of the sort and has so far caused heartache, anxiety, unrest, and distrust.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bought an Independent Home tub and I had a really good experience with the dealer I bought it from. Its installation went really well. I got a few scratches in the house because the crew had to move the big tub around, but that was expected. They were in a hurry to get back to Missouri, though, so they weren't able to patch that up. I've got the air and the bubbles from the jets in my tub. My daughter-in-law says I should charge the people who take a bath in there.

Hi Roger,

We think your daughter-in-law is right! Thanks for the recommendation!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Overall I enjoyed the service John & his crew provided. The shower & vanity top are beautiful. We had a measurement snag with the vanity top but a new top was sent out and they quickly installed it. John is very courteous and friendly and even gave me the opportunity to inspect his work. Good job!

Independent Home response

Hi Dorrell, We are happy to hear that the walk in shower turned out beautiful. That makes us so happy to hear this! Have a wonderful day.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My Installers - Johnny and his son John Paul - arrived early. They were very courteous, very professional, and they finished my installation early. It is a lovely spa. I am sure I will get a lot of use out of it. It was a pleasure working with them.

Hi Barbara,

We are happy to hear that you had a good experience with our installation teams and that you think the product is lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Much better than the salesman said. The extension is the same color as the walk-in not white as he said. The installers did a wonderful job in the bathroom. They was very nice and fast. I would recommend to my friends.

Hi Dwight

Thank you for the recommendation of Independent Home. If you need anything, just give us a call.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This is Diane ** in Peachtree City, and Dean installed my shower for me this last week. I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful job he did... I'm just really, really proud of it! It is very lovely and it is just a really, really beautiful shower, and at a good price and great service! Thank you so much Dean, Lytle, and all of the terrific people at Independent Home!

Independent Home response

Hi Diane, Thanks for the kind words. We think you are terrific too!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I purchased a Walk-in Shower a few weeks ago and wanted to let you know I am very pleased with this shower. The quality is excellent and it will add value to our home. I am 76 and was starting to have a problem getting in my tub shower. The new walk in is so easy to get in. I was impressed with your company when the day before the installation, a gentlemen arrived with the vanity top I had ordered. He told me the vanity was not ready when the truck was delivered, so he drove all the way from Kansas to Texarkana, Texas to bring it to me so that when the installer came, it would be here and the installation would not be delayed. Mike **, the specialist who sold me the product, was very knowledgeable and easy to talk with!

Independent Home response

Hi Patricia, Thank you for sharing your story. We will be sure to pass on your compliments to the installation team and to Mike. Have a great day.

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

A manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002, the company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information