4.75/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

721 Independent Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 15, 2019

We had a representative come to our house and he ended up selling us a tub. I've been through the mill with salespeople and been a salesperson. I kinda know the ins and outs of stuff like that, and some of it rubs me the wrong way. But the rep from Independent Home was personable and he knew about the product. He is a fellow veteran, so we connected on that. The installation guys did a wonderful job. They knew exactly what they were doing. They were clean and they didn’t leave a mess. They was super nice, friendly, and willing to do whatever we needed. Even when they had to come back, they were the same. There was something wrong with the motor. It would make a super loud, ear-piercing sound. They had to replace the motor and it has been working good since then.

The original door of the bathroom wasn’t real wide so they put a bigger door. We had a cast iron bathtub and it was super heavy. It was a total surprise to me that they took it out and didn’t have to take any walls down. The only thing was that the installer didn't pay attention and when he had to go to a local hardware to get the door, he got the left-hand instead of the right-hand opening. The door that he took out opened to the right, but he got a door that opened to the left. He asked us if we were not happy because he could go back and get the other one. But we went ahead and told him it was okay. We’ve had to get used to the door and opening it the opposite way, but we’re pretty well used to it now.

My wife uses the bath more than I do. I'm a shower guy, but I have also used the bath and the jets. We were expecting that tub had to be warmer than what it is. It don’t seem warm to me and my wife. I was expecting some warm air. I got the impression that the air was warm enough to field warm air. This definitely does not feel warm. Also, the shower is a little bit small but it is still okay. It does the job and I like the handles to hold on to, and the seat. I have trouble bending over and I use the seat to put my feet up to wash it. All in all, we’re happy with the tub. It works like they said it would.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have an elderly lady at my church who got a walk-in tub and it cost her 13,000. She said it was the most wonderful thing she has ever done. I have multiple cirrhosis. So, it's difficult for me to maneuver, walk around and get in and out the bathtub. I like to take a bath and my husband always likes to take a shower. We have a stand up shower and it got to be difficult. On occasions, I would have to have him lift my leg over the edge of the tub or out of the tub. So, we went looking at Lowe's or Menards. They have these nice big shower stalls and they weren’t all that expensive, but by the time we bought the door and everything, it was around $1,500. In the midst of looking at that, we came up on a walk-in tub at Menards and it was 39.99.

I had neuropathy in the feet and it may be good for my legs. The walk-in tub has got the water jets and everything. So, we started searching and typing in walk-in tub on the internet but nobody has any that you could look at. Home Depot and Lowe's sell them but nobody could tell you anything about them. You have to look it all up online. You also could not go to any store and look at one. So, I was typing in for there was some in Missouri and I came up with Independent Home. Ari was the first person I talked to. He was very nice and answered all my questions.

My husband put the tub in. He had to call and question some stuff, and whoever it was my husband talked to told him that these tubs are inspected when they go out of here. So, I'm gonna find out who inspected that tub because it was just in a little line that went from one of the water jets to the pump. My husband figured out what to do. I like my tub and it takes plenty of water. We had to replace our hot water heater, so I can't take that into cost consideration because I had to have it replaced anyway. So now, we're going to get one that just services that tub like a booster to it.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My wife was having some problems and I saw something on the internet about walk-in tubs, so I decided to get one. Independent Home was the first one that called me back and I had no problem with them. I had a few questions and they answered them. I purchased a tub and a shower and the installation team was good. They took about 4 hours and got things done. However, the dealer furnished me with a couple of broken pieces when they put it together, but then everything went well. I was also gonna call them about the handheld shower if they had one with a smaller grip on it since the grip on it is rather large. My wife has small hands and it's hard for her to hold onto it. I have one with a smaller grip but I don't know whether I should put it in without talking to them first or not.

The only thing I didn't like about the whole process was when we talked about financing. I was under the impression that they were gonna hold the paper themselves until I paid them off. I paid them $5,000 down, which was half of the amount, and they said I could have the other 5,000 for 18 months with zero interest. That was fine but I didn't know they were gonna send it to some Synchrony Bank or something like that. And I didn't like to deal with those guys. As soon as I opened it up, I see they charged 26.99% and that kinda sucked. I wasn’t paying any interest, but that's a horrible rate of interest to charge anybody for anything. I didn't even know about that until they sent me a credit card and I don't want any credit card from these people back in Florida. They also didn't wanna take no for an answer when I told them I didn't want the credit card.

So, I just went ahead and paid the whole thing off so I wouldn't have to mess with the bank. And I've been getting a thing in the email saying that my balance is paid so I'm good there. Still, I would have liked a little bit more transparency with the financing part. Other than that, our experience with Independent Home was good. They did what they said they were gonna do, when they said they were gonna do it. I would also recommend them.

Hi Robert,

We are happy to hear that your walk-in tub and shower combination is working well. Thank you for your recommendation and have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

One of my friends in a nearby town told me that there was a guy over at her house, trying to sell her an Independent Home walk-in tub. She lives off her Social Security and couldn't afford it. She as told she could get a loan, but she doesn't don’t make that much off Social Security to pay a loan off. I said I was interested in the walk-in tub and to send the guy over. She gave him my phone number and he made an appointment with me.

I’ve seen pictures of other brands and some of the prices were more than what Independent Home's were. Independent Home's price of $16,000 is still too damn high though. They say everybody can afford it. If it cost about $5,000, everybody would probably have one, but it cost $16,000. I’m fortunate enough to have money to get one but I know six other people that came over here, looked at it and said they wish they could afford one. The other ones cost even more, with some costing 25.

You couldn’t find anybody any better and nicer than the two guys that put it in. They were terrific. They took one day for the installation, plus they also installed a water heater that day. I had some trouble with mine though. The part that ran the air bubbles and the water motion inside of it went out about a month after I got the tub. It was all covered, but I had to call somebody and it took them two weeks to get here. I could still take a bath, but I couldn’t run the air jets and the water circulation. That's what helps me a whole lot. I have trouble with my legs and it makes them feel a whole lot better. They were so busy at the time because they also contract and build houses. The walk-in tubs are just a sideline for them.

The tub is convenient but it says down at the bottom that the tub is 3 inches off the floor, but mine is 9 inches off the floor. I’m bound to a motorized wheelchair and I can get up, but I can’t walk. As long as I’m holding onto something, I don't have difficulty getting in and out the tub. But once I sit down, I have to have my son to help me get back up whenever I wanna stand up in the tub. Everybody should have an Independent Home walk-in tub if they could afford it.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I’ve heard good things about Independent Home's service. If something goes wrong I can call and also that I can pick the tub up and move it to another home. And if I want to they will come in and hook it up. My husband had major back surgery and he could not get in and out of our tub so he needs a walk-in tub. We have a very small bathroom. We could’ve taken the tub out and put the shower in, but the shower is so small. So water would have been everywhere. And I didn’t have time to be adding on, knocking out walls because I needed to have something ready for him three weeks after rehabilitation in the hospital. My only option was to do a walk-in tub.

If it had been a shower stall, he still would have to sort of twist to get in there and he could fall. And I would have to stay there with him all the time. In this way, I can get him in the tub and he can sit there and bathe himself. The Independent Home sales guy came and I bought it that day. He even gave us a better discount because my husband is a veteran. The installers worked like a well-oiled machine together. It was sort of funny. They were an older man and a younger guy. But they just knew what each other was doing and there weren’t a lot of talk. They just went to work and got it done. They knew everything. I was watching them and everything they did, I thought, “Wow, this is good.” They did a wonderful job putting it in.

I had a carpenter come in and redo the whole bathroom. After they left, I had everything ripped out and we put a new toilet. They gave me a new toilet. They were nice people to deal with. Everything has worked perfectly and I can’t say that about everything else that I’ve had done since my husband got sick. I’m very satisfied and I’ve been recommending Independent Home to our neighbors down the street. The wife is gonna have similar back surgery to my husband’s. Her husband came down here, talked to us and he wanted to see the tub and all that because they have small bathroom too. And I said, “Well, see, this will fit the footprint. You can put this in.” That’s what’s really important especially in these older homes.

Independent Home response

Hi Olive, Thank you for your recommendation of our walk-in tubs. We are happy to have served you and we are happy your husband can now bathe safely and independently.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: May 24, 2019

Very professional and friendly. Great attention to detail, and they clearly meant to please! They were friendly to my pets, and the dogs, who are great judges of character, liked them, too. I would recommend them without hesitation. Very pleased with the results.

Original review: May 22, 2019

They had very difficult job on installment here. Great responsible worker. Would highly recommend their work. Only problems we have are toilet is using extra water because flap is not doing what it's supposed to do and my doorbell got hit with some and got broken. But their work quality was excellent. Thanks again. Very positive experience.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Ari from Independent Homes was extremely helpful in explaining all about the shower to me and my husband. His worker Tony was extremely professional in every manner. Tony's work was excellent. He made sure that the Shower was installed properly even with all the problems in my house due to nothing being level. I would recommend I.D.H to my family and friends. Thank you again for a great job.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was very pleased with the installation and the installers. They were very courteous and very professional. They made sure we were informed regarding all aspects of our new spa tub. They were on time and worked while they were here. They left my bathroom in the condition in which they found it.

Hi Carolyn,

We are happy to hear you are pleased with the installation and the team treated your home with respect and care. Thanks for the recommendation - have a super day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 14, 2019

Somebody called me about walk-in tubs and my wife wanted one. Buying from Independent Home was very easy and the installation team did a great job. They were very professional and it took them only half a day to finish the installation. I've had the walk-in tub for a couple of months and I like the safety that it provides.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your kind words and recommendation of Independent Home walk-in tubs! Have a great day.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 13, 2019

We had regular bathtubs here and my wife couldn’t get to lift her feet high enough to get into them, so we put a shower in but she didn’t like that. A guy from Independent Home called me and he knew what he was talking about and explained it to us, and he was very good about it. We told him to bring the walk-in tub down and put it in. They brought a small one, but my wife couldn’t get in to it because she is heavy. So, they brought a bigger one and put it in. We’ve enjoyed it, and I would recommend Independent Home.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Purchasing the Independent Home tub was very easy and the installation went fine. The installers told me who they were and I showed them where to put the tub, and I backed off and let them do it. They got through with it and cleaned up after themselves fine. With the model I got, I just lean over, open the door, step in, close the door and take a bath. I can also put a wave, plus it has a place for an aroma if I want it. It seems to be very good and I haven't had any problems with it. I like being able to just sit down and take a bath again. Before I got it, it was strictly a shower because I couldn't step in and out of it.

Hi Veda,

We are glad to hear the whole process was easy! That is our goal. We are happy to hear you are able to take a bath again - thanks for your recommendation.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 11, 2019

I couldn't get out of my tub for the longest time, and that was almost a couple of years ago. It was impossible for me because I wasn’t feeling well and I had some things with my legs. The gentleman from Independent Home who came here was friendly. I trusted him and he was really good. I had no difficulties buying the walk-in bathtub but my family got upset. On the night before the installers were supposed to come and install it, they told me that I have to call and cancel it. We had a big discussion. Somehow, the reps from Independent Home came and installed it. They finished in half a day and everything was fine after that. At the time, it cost me $12,000 which was a lot of money. My family thought it was a scam. Now, they like it. They’re completely different.

Hi Eva,

We are happy to hear your tub is making a difference and you are now able to bath again! And we are happy your family agrees! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 10, 2019

We got a robocall from Independent Home that I accidentally answered. We wanted to get rid of the bathtub and have a shower in there but there was a problem. You needed to build a wall because you couldn’t have a shower without a wall. So, it was something we needed to solve and Independent Home did it for us. They built the wall and they put in the walk-in shower. We’re getting up in age and figured one day we may need a walk-in shower with a seat. Neither one of us cared for the idea of a walk-in tub.

The shower was ridiculously expensive. I know it is quality but I was hesitant because of the price. We came very close to saying, “Forget it.” The salesman was very friendly, and we felt comfortable with him. He had a big part in convincing us. His name was Joe and he came from Des Moines, Iowa. It took him two and a half days. There was a blizzard coming and he needed to get home. He left the pieces here and so, my husband somewhat finished the project. Building the wall and finishing it off would have taken quite a lot of time but it’s okay. It worked out and I like the shower.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bathtub to shower. The two gentlemen on my job were very friendly and professional at what they were doing. They were careful to clean up each day before they left. I was very impressed with the job they did and would be very happy to recommend your company.

Hi Mary!

Thanks for your kind recommendation of Independent Home! We are happy to hear you are impressed and will pass this on to your installation team. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 8, 2019

A very professional job. They bent over backwards to make sure we were happy with the work. The shower is going to be a blessing to us. The sales team and install team did a very good job. We think that the shower will be a good fit for us.

Hi Dickie,

Thanks for your kind compliments and we are happy that you are happy! Thanks for choosing us and have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 8, 2019

My sister and I purchased a Walk-in Spa Tub last summer (2018). We had service out three times within a couple of months of install. The install was great. The service tech was respectful and did a great job. I was disappointed that the tub was not installed in the direction we asked for. I let that go. The work looked so good.

However, we still have a leak in the basement when showering and I have spent a month trying to get in touch with someone at Independent Home and they have not responded to me. I called last week and no one has called me back. The metal that the handle closes against has fallen off the tub and another metal part has come out of the bottom of the handle. Did I mention it still leaks downstairs when someone showers? Oh, and the water jets have not worked for months. Also, the metal shower rod that holds the hand-held unit for showering - is rusting and a rust stream is running down the rod onto the tub rim. Also, it looks like part of the tub finish is coming off the rim of the tub where you rest your hand/arms when in the bath. I do not recommend this company at all. They do not stand behind their work. I hope this review will get me a response from someone at Independent Home!

Original review: May 6, 2019

My installers arrived and quickly went to work covering my floors and removing anything that might be damaged during the work process. Every evening when they left, they cleaned up anything that needed to be cleaned. They worked quickly and efficiently to remove the old tile walls and tub and get everything ready for the new walls and tub floor. I couldn't ask for competent workmanship and I am very happy with the new shower. I know I will enjoy many years of safe showering in my own home.

Hi Shirly,

Thanks for taking the time to share you story. We are happy to hear that our teams exceeded your hopes for the outcome of your shower and we are happy that you will be enjoying you'll be enjoying your shower for years to come! Have a super day!

Original review: May 6, 2019

This lady came to my door one evening and told me about Independent Home. I didn’t have any other company talk to me so I just took this one right away. I got the shower and I like it. I had a shower before but this one seems nicer. The reps put new faucets on the shower but I got a new sink too and they just put the old faucets back on. But they said they’re gonna send somebody with the faucets and put them on for me. So, that was nice.

Original review: May 4, 2019

My wife saw an advertisement for walk-in bathtubs. We are getting old and we decided that it would be a good idea to get one. It would be easy to get in and out of. The installation team from Independent Home knew what they were doing. They were here all day but we got out of the way and let them do it. The tub worked out great as well as our experience.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation. We appreciate you choosing us for your project. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: May 3, 2019

The installers were very professional and very clean. They took good care of my property and possession. The tub looks great. Can’t wait to use it. The Independent Home company was very respectful from the installers on up. Would recommend. Samuel and Mary

Hi Samuel and Mary,

Thanks for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Spa Tubs. We will be sure to pass this on to the installation teams and share your feedback. Have a great day!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Someone from Independent Home came to our home and purchasing from them was extremely easy. We got the only model that would fit, and the installers had to come back another day but they were very good. I take a bath every other day now and we haven't been doing that in years.

Hi Rose,

Thanks for your recommendation. We are happy to hear you are bathing again! Have a great day.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have been trying for over a month to get a replacement faucet. I have called the 1-800 number several times and they keep telling me that They will have someone call me. I just called now and they hung up before they even took my number. Cory

Independent Home response

Hi Cory, Thanks for working with us to resolve the confusion about the replacement faucet and for updating the star rating to 5 stars. We appreciate your business and have a great day!

Independent Home Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 1, 2019

I did an online search and Independent Home was the one that answered back. I had been looking into this for a while ‘cause I didn’t know if I wanted to do that or turn it into a handicap bath, and when I got to research it, they had the best prices compared to the other places. Purchasing was the easiest in the world. Everything was explained and they showed me videos. The installers knew what they were doing and did it in the amount of time they said they would do, and they didn’t miss cleaning up.

Because of the way my bathroom is laid out, I figured the tub for the door to open to where it wouldn’t bother the commode. I also got some lavender bath salts and it makes a difference. Bathing is so easy, in and out and there’s nothing to clean. You just rinse it out and you’re done. I would recommend anybody with issues of any kind to get one of Independent Home tubs ‘cause it's a lifesaver, especially if you’re going through physical therapy anywhere. You just sit in it, relax and you’re good to go.

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation of our tubs, installation teams, and affordable prices. Have a super day!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Extremely excited about the new walk-in tub! Looks great in the bathroom and very simple to operate. Both the installers were very professional, friendly, informative, and helpful! The tub was installed in a very timely manner. Would definitely recommend to family and friends!

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your kind words and recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs! Have a wonderful day!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I've been interested in a walk-in bathtub for a long time because I am no longer able to get out of a tub by myself. I am disabled, so I needed the walk-in tub for health reasons. The first gentleman I spoke with at Independent Home was a very nice man and was very congenial. He was very good about calling me back when I had a question. The installation of the walk-in bathtub went well. The general manager called me and he said that he had another tub that just came in. It was still in the crates and it would cost less. Although I can manage, my problem now is I am a little on the queen size, so I have a little problem getting the door shut because I need about another three inches wider. I am satisfied.

Hi Virginia,

Thanks for sharing your experience and we are glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. Thanks for choosing Independent Home. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: April 29, 2019

My wife has arthritis and I'd been thinking about getting a walk-in tub for a long time. I looked up Independent Home and I went with them since they make their own tubs locally in the States, and it's got a lifetime guarantee. The rep was really nice, but the price tag was pretty high at $11,000 each. Still, the installation guys did a very good job and cleaned up their mess. They were very nice and polite. I've already told their boss that he should give them a fair raise. We have two full baths so I got two tubs, and the ones I got have bubbles. We both use them and they work well.

Hi James,

Thanks for the kind recommendation of our products and installation teams. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: April 25, 2019

I got several quotes from different walk-in tub manufacturers several years ago. I didn't decide to do anything back then but now that I am ready to get one, Independent Home came along. I then got my unit from them. The salesman I worked with was wonderful. He seemed very knowledgeable and his delivery was great. The installers who came to install the tub were very friendly and knew what they were doing. It took them three hours before they completed the job, but then I thought that it would take all day. Overall I'm very satisfied with the tub. It's everything I thought it is. I have arthritis and problems with my back, and it really helps.

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for taking the time share your experience with our walk-in tub specialist and our installation teams. We are glad the hydrotherapy is helping your arthritis and back pain. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: April 24, 2019

Somebody called me to see if I might be interested in the Independent Home walk-in tubs, and I said, “Maybe.” So then he came over and showed it to me, and I said, “Yes.” The salesperson that came left it up to me whatever I wanted to do. That was very nice, and I would recommend him to anybody. The installers were great. I didn’t have to pick up or clean anything after them. It was all clean. The Independent Home tub is great, and I love it.

Hi Velma,

We are glad you love your tub! Thanks for the kind recommendation and have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: April 23, 2019

Sales person very nice and explained about materials used on shower. Workmen called to tell me when they would arrive, and did arrive at that time. They were very professional in doing job and seemed to take pride in their work. They clean up when they finished for day. They explained how new equipment worked, and answered my questions.

Hi Judith,

Thanks for your review and we are happy to hear your walk-in shower project was handled by our installers that took pride in their work. Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

A manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002, the company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information