4.78/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

761 Independent Home Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 15, 2019

We had a representative come to our house and he ended up selling us a tub. I've been through the mill with salespeople and been a salesperson. I kinda know the ins and outs of stuff like that, and some of it rubs me the wrong way. But the rep from Independent Home was personable and he knew about the product. He is a fellow veteran, so we connected on that. The installation guys did a wonderful job. They knew exactly what they were doing. They were clean and they didn’t leave a mess. They was super nice, friendly, and willing to do whatever we needed. Even when they had to come back, they were the same. There was something wrong with the motor. It would make a super loud, ear-piercing sound. They had to replace the motor and it has been working good since then.

The original door of the bathroom wasn’t real wide so they put a bigger door. We had a cast iron bathtub and it was super heavy. It was a total surprise to me that they took it out and didn’t have to take any walls down. The only thing was that the installer didn't pay attention and when he had to go to a local hardware to get the door, he got the left-hand instead of the right-hand opening. The door that he took out opened to the right, but he got a door that opened to the left. He asked us if we were not happy because he could go back and get the other one. But we went ahead and told him it was okay. We’ve had to get used to the door and opening it the opposite way, but we’re pretty well used to it now.

My wife uses the bath more than I do. I'm a shower guy, but I have also used the bath and the jets. We were expecting that tub had to be warmer than what it is. It don’t seem warm to me and my wife. I was expecting some warm air. I got the impression that the air was warm enough to field warm air. This definitely does not feel warm. Also, the shower is a little bit small but it is still okay. It does the job and I like the handles to hold on to, and the seat. I have trouble bending over and I use the seat to put my feet up to wash it. All in all, we’re happy with the tub. It works like they said it would.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have an elderly lady at my church who got a walk-in tub and it cost her 13,000. She said it was the most wonderful thing she has ever done. I have multiple cirrhosis. So, it's difficult for me to maneuver, walk around and get in and out the bathtub. I like to take a bath and my husband always likes to take a shower. We have a stand up shower and it got to be difficult. On occasions, I would have to have him lift my leg over the edge of the tub or out of the tub. So, we went looking at Lowe's or Menards. They have these nice big shower stalls and they weren’t all that expensive, but by the time we bought the door and everything, it was around $1,500. In the midst of looking at that, we came up on a walk-in tub at Menards and it was 39.99.

I had neuropathy in the feet and it may be good for my legs. The walk-in tub has got the water jets and everything. So, we started searching and typing in walk-in tub on the internet but nobody has any that you could look at. Home Depot and Lowe's sell them but nobody could tell you anything about them. You have to look it all up online. You also could not go to any store and look at one. So, I was typing in for there was some in Missouri and I came up with Independent Home. Ari was the first person I talked to. He was very nice and answered all my questions.

My husband put the tub in. He had to call and question some stuff, and whoever it was my husband talked to told him that these tubs are inspected when they go out of here. So, I'm gonna find out who inspected that tub because it was just in a little line that went from one of the water jets to the pump. My husband figured out what to do. I like my tub and it takes plenty of water. We had to replace our hot water heater, so I can't take that into cost consideration because I had to have it replaced anyway. So now, we're going to get one that just services that tub like a booster to it.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My wife was having some problems and I saw something on the internet about walk-in tubs, so I decided to get one. Independent Home was the first one that called me back and I had no problem with them. I had a few questions and they answered them. I purchased a tub and a shower and the installation team was good. They took about 4 hours and got things done. However, the dealer furnished me with a couple of broken pieces when they put it together, but then everything went well. I was also gonna call them about the handheld shower if they had one with a smaller grip on it since the grip on it is rather large. My wife has small hands and it's hard for her to hold onto it. I have one with a smaller grip but I don't know whether I should put it in without talking to them first or not.

The only thing I didn't like about the whole process was when we talked about financing. I was under the impression that they were gonna hold the paper themselves until I paid them off. I paid them $5,000 down, which was half of the amount, and they said I could have the other 5,000 for 18 months with zero interest. That was fine but I didn't know they were gonna send it to some Synchrony Bank or something like that. And I didn't like to deal with those guys. As soon as I opened it up, I see they charged 26.99% and that kinda sucked. I wasn’t paying any interest, but that's a horrible rate of interest to charge anybody for anything. I didn't even know about that until they sent me a credit card and I don't want any credit card from these people back in Florida. They also didn't wanna take no for an answer when I told them I didn't want the credit card.

So, I just went ahead and paid the whole thing off so I wouldn't have to mess with the bank. And I've been getting a thing in the email saying that my balance is paid so I'm good there. Still, I would have liked a little bit more transparency with the financing part. Other than that, our experience with Independent Home was good. They did what they said they were gonna do, when they said they were gonna do it. I would also recommend them.

Hi Robert,

We are happy to hear that your walk-in tub and shower combination is working well. Thank you for your recommendation and have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: April 13, 2019

I'm getting older now and I slipped in the tub. It's funny because Independent Home had come out and talked to me and I haven’t decided. And then I went to take a shower and I dropped shampoo in the bottom of the tub. I slipped on it and the only thing that saved me from falling was one of these little cheap chairs that I put in my shower. That was God telling me I need to invest in something for my health. I received a phone call from Independent Home and the woman asked me if had I ever thought about getting a walk-in tub, and we started a conversation. Then she said she would send somebody out to show me the pictures and give me an idea of what was involved and the price. They weren’t pushy and they weren’t selling. They didn’t tell me to buy anything. She just told me what the product was and how long it would take them to install it.

I sat in my living room during the installation. My bathroom is upstairs and the installers were running up and down the stairs like crazy. I kept saying, "Can I see it?" "No, you can't see it yet." "Can I see it now?" "No, can't see it now." But they worked so fast and they were so sweet. Also, there wasn’t a speck of anything anywhere. One guy told me my hot water heater wasn’t big enough for the project. So, he came back in a couple of weeks, took me to Home Depot because I have no transportation, picked up a hot water heater and everything he needed and installed it for me. How many people are gonna come and take you to buy a product? He went way above and beyond.

I love the tub. It's a walk-in tub with the jets, and it has a shower and with the shower chair. It's like a sit-in shower that you take a bath in. I've taken a couple of Epsom salts baths in it which were very enjoyable. I mostly use the shower section that I love because it's mounted on the wall, and you can slide it up and down. I'm happy.

Hi Retha,

Thanks for sharing your experience and we are happy to hear that your new walk-in tub is helping you avoid more falls. We also appreciate you noting that our sales staff is not pushy. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

One of my friends in a nearby town told me that there was a guy over at her house, trying to sell her an Independent Home walk-in tub. She lives off her Social Security and couldn't afford it. She as told she could get a loan, but she doesn't don’t make that much off Social Security to pay a loan off. I said I was interested in the walk-in tub and to send the guy over. She gave him my phone number and he made an appointment with me.

I’ve seen pictures of other brands and some of the prices were more than what Independent Home's were. Independent Home's price of $16,000 is still too damn high though. They say everybody can afford it. If it cost about $5,000, everybody would probably have one, but it cost $16,000. I’m fortunate enough to have money to get one but I know six other people that came over here, looked at it and said they wish they could afford one. The other ones cost even more, with some costing 25.

You couldn’t find anybody any better and nicer than the two guys that put it in. They were terrific. They took one day for the installation, plus they also installed a water heater that day. I had some trouble with mine though. The part that ran the air bubbles and the water motion inside of it went out about a month after I got the tub. It was all covered, but I had to call somebody and it took them two weeks to get here. I could still take a bath, but I couldn’t run the air jets and the water circulation. That's what helps me a whole lot. I have trouble with my legs and it makes them feel a whole lot better. They were so busy at the time because they also contract and build houses. The walk-in tubs are just a sideline for them.

The tub is convenient but it says down at the bottom that the tub is 3 inches off the floor, but mine is 9 inches off the floor. I’m bound to a motorized wheelchair and I can get up, but I can’t walk. As long as I’m holding onto something, I don't have difficulty getting in and out the tub. But once I sit down, I have to have my son to help me get back up whenever I wanna stand up in the tub. Everybody should have an Independent Home walk-in tub if they could afford it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: July 20, 2019

There was a salesman from Independent home who stopped by and told me about his company's walk-in bathtubs. He explained it to me and everything, and it sounded good. We made a deal, and they put the tub in the next day. The installation went fine and their crew worked every minute. They never stopped 'til they had the whole thing done. Thus far, I feel the tub is top quality.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your 5 star recommendation! We are glad to hear you are enjoying your walk in tub and that everything was explained to you during the process. Have a super day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 17, 2019

Independent Home's people were really polite and clean. I enjoyed their company and they cleaned up after themselves. I love the tub I got from them so far. I'm an old man and it helps me tremendously.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are glad you love your tub and that it is helping you! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 16, 2019

I've been thinking about a walk-in tub before. I've gotten a price from the one that does a lot of advertising and decided we aren't getting younger and we have to get one of those before we find ourselves wanting it or needing it right away. We got the tub from Independent Home and the installation team was nice. The installation went well.

Hi Gordon,

We are glad to hear your installation was handled with care. Thanks for your kind words and putting your trust in our teams. Have a super day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 15, 2019

I got my walk-in tub from Independent Home because of the price and the guy at sales was very nice. They were very good and very business people like. And I love the tub I got.

Hi Sophia.

We are glad you love your tub! Thanks for the recommendation and for choosing us. Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 14, 2019

The representative I worked with at Independent Home was very informative and very detailed in explaining everything. The installation guy was also very professional. He was very good at what he did, and he's done it several times. And he was like clockwork. He did it in one day. Installation was great, and I especially liked the attachments, the faucets, and everything else. They're top-notch. They have a very good quality tub.

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for your recommendation of Independent Home Walk-In Tubs. We are happy to hear your experience was described as top-notch and that the installation was done like clockwork. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 13, 2019

I got an Independent Home tub with a wheelchair access. Everything worked fine. The installation team was excellent. They were in and out, and had it done in eight hours. I can now get in, take a bath without worrying about falling.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your kind words and recommendation! We are glad that your wheelchair access tub has eliminated any fears of falling while bathing. Thanks for choosing us for your project. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 12, 2019

We got a telemarketing call and the salesman from Independent Home was quite persuasive. He was pleasant enough and very accommodating. Plus, I liked the idea of being able to walk in and step in to the tub. The installers were easy to work with and everything went very well with the installation.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Purchasing a tub from Independent Home was pretty easy. Their installation team was very nice and did everything well.

Hi Jim,

We are happy to hear the purchasing process was easy and that your installation team handled your project with care. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 10, 2019

I'd been interested in a walk-in bathtub for quite some time, but I had not made up my mind. I got a card in the mail from Independent Home and a gentleman came and talked to me about it. The installation people were very professional, and they really knew their job.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for choosing us for your walk-in tub project. We are glad to hear you were taken care of by our installation teams and we hope you have a great day!

Original review: July 9, 2019

We love our walk-in tub by Independent Home! My husband and I are in our late 40s-early 50s. Both of us have previous back injuries and soaking in our walk-in tub with the air jets on relieves our pain and is very relaxing! It helps us to get a better night's sleep. And my varicose veins are much less visible. We are glad we got our walk-in tub!

Hi Tracy,

We are glad to hear that you are your husband are getting some back relief from your walk-in tub! A good night's sleep goes a long way! Thanks for your recommendation. Have a super day!

Original review: July 9, 2019

I can't tell you how pleased I was with installation. Men were here 8:00 straight up, went right to work, took all precautions not damage anything and put clothes down on my floors, went through all instructions, cleaned up behind themselves and all was done. If you are lucky enough to get Tim and DJ you got the best!!!

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your kind review! We will be sure to relay this to Tim and DJ. Thanks for choosing us. Have a great day!

Original review: July 9, 2019

We got the cheapest tub that Independent Home had for my mother who is 83. The salesperson who came here was an awesome gentleman. The people who put it in were incredible. Everybody was on time and they did a great job. It was one day, just like they said. They had it within a week and they came one morning at 9:00 o’clock, on the dot, and they were here all day ’til 3:00 o’clock and did everything. So far we’ve been using it for showering and bathing, and both my mom and I love it. They put in the grab bar in the tub and there’s a hook-up on the wall. There's a part where heat comes out at the back of the seat, and it feels good on your back. It's the absolute best experience I’ve had in a while since I’ve been here in Florida. I told my barber about it and I brought the pamphlet and showed it to him when he asked me.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation. What a wonderful story of how you have taken care of your mother. We are glad you both are enjoying the tub and that you are sharing your experience with other folks in Florida. Have a super day!

Original review: July 8, 2019

We enjoyed having Dean and Alex install our new shower. They did a diligent, careful job, quietly and carefully, and left us with a beautiful shower. We would gladly hire them again anytime and would highly recommend them to everyone!

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your kind recommendation of Dean and Alex. We will pass this note on to them and we are happy you were left with your beautiful shower! Have a super day!

Original review: July 8, 2019

Independent Home's tub was cheaper than what they used to be, and what I paid for it was a real fair price. They did a good job putting it in and it looks nice. It does what it needs to do, and 10 minutes are all you need to set up everything. I’d recommend it.

Original review: July 7, 2019

We had estimates from a couple of companies and it appears that Independent Home gave us not only the best price but also went through things with us in great detail. We wanted to go with the hydrotherapy but, unfortunately, our home was not able to run the electric lines to do that. So, we went with the soaker. The purchasing process was easy and the installation was very good. Tony, the gentleman from Independent Home, knew exactly what he was doing. The house is very old so we had glass and stone behind the tile. It took time in order to get the cast iron tub out as well as to fill in the cracks and remove the step. So, it was time consuming but Tony was very thorough with his work. My wife says the tub is more like a spa than anything else. So, she is in love with the installation and the way that it’s functioning.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had a company called Bath Fitter come out and they gave me an estimate. Their product was like paper thin that goes on the wall. They cover the bathtub and they didn’t do any kinda work. A guy from Independent Home came and he had some samples of their product. It was great. It was real thick, and it was zinc. The price was good too and purchasing was not difficult at all. I just made two payments.

They did the bathroom remake from the tub to the shower. They stayed back in the back bathroom. I heard them sawing and drilling on stuff, and I told them, “The tile in that bathroom butts up right against the tub. So, when you gotta take that tub out, if you break that tile, that’s not on me.” They said, “No. Everything we do is covered in the price you pay. We’ll replace the tile.” Those guys took out everything all the way down to the concrete floor and hauled it off. They hauled off the bathtub. They took all the tile off the walls. Behind that tile and over the bathtub, there was mold, and they took all of that stuff out and replaced the insulation. They put a bleach liquid in there to make sure all the mold was dead. It took them one day, and they cleaned up afterwards. It was great. My two daughters came out and looked at it and said it’s beautiful.

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your detailed account of your the installation process. We are happy to hear that they were able to remove the mold issue and that your walk in spa was installed with care! Thanks for your business and have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 23, 2019

Independent Home was gonna do the hot tub at $12,000, just that it doesn’t say Kohler. The dealer came back twice in order to adjust things. He put a 50-gallon water tank in too and that’s working well. We’re satisfied with Independent Home.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I found Independent Home online and the experience was all good with the dealer. They seemed to care about their job a lot. I bought a walk-in tub with a shower and I like its convenience. The installers did the job very well. They also took pride in what they did.

Hi William,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your kind compliments of our installation teams. We appreciate you choosing us for your project!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: June 21, 2019

We were looking to fix our shower and the phone rang, and a fellow said that he thought we were interested in a walk-in shower. I don’t have any idea how he knew we were because we hadn’t contacted Independent Home but my husband said fine. They made an appointed to come out the next day. The salesman came and we talked to him. I've always wanted a big tub where I can walk in as we get older and he gave me all the information. At one time we had just the spa tub, and you had to clean it with chemicals all the time. When I asked the salesman how to clean the tub, he told me. It was the kind that I wanted. I don’t wanna have to have somebody always running chemicals through my tub.

During the installation, we realized right away that our door going into the bathroom was not wide enough and so, the fellows came in, made the door wider and replaced it. They installed the tub in one and a half days. They tore out the old one first and they went to Lowe’s that afternoon to get the boards and things that they needed to go around the side of the tub because it was smaller than my big tub they took out. They were back the first thing in the morning by 8 o’clock and were through by 11:00. The whole bathroom was cleaned up and it was perfect. The door was on and painted. They must have also changed the plumbing because now the water runs really fast to get it in and also to let it out.

I like that you're not sitting in a cold tub. We had a Jacuzzi before but it was not a walk-in tub so I like this one really well. I liked the ease of cleaning it, the fast drawing of the water and letting the water out. I would have liked to have had one of the water spouts or water jets come out right in the middle of my back instead of on the sides or plus the sides.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Independent Home came around and gave me a pretty good price. My wife who is 84 has gotten to where she's been having a difficult time putting her leg over the side of the bathtub. I went with them and their installer had to take a hacksaw and cut the steel bathtub out. He then installed a shower inside. They did a very good job and cleaned up the area. However, I had some people came in and thought the price was a little high. Also, my wife wasn't too happy with the door. Still, their reps were courteous and answered my questions. I would recommend them to almost anybody.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your recommendation of Independent Home! We are happy to hear you have taken care of your wife and the challenges she was facing stepping over the side of a regular bathtub. Have a super day!

Original review: June 19, 2019

The installer were very professional and courteous. They did a very good job on our new shower. They were on time and very courteous to me and my husband. They made sure the shower was going to be a good fit for us. Thank you Independent Home for everything.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your kind words! Have a wonderful day!

Original review: June 19, 2019

We were needing a new bathroom, and my husband had just fallen in the other bathroom. We couldn’t use that bathroom because the leak ran underneath the whole bathroom and it made our floor buckle up. We had that shower about six years and we couldn’t use it. We had discussed getting another shower so when this man from Independent Home called, we were ready to get a new shower. He was very good but we did have a problem with the installation. The install guy widened our door but when he did it, he cut a wire. When they put the door frame in, they sat it down on another wire and the door cramped it. We had to call an electrician in.

We really like our shower but we haven’t used it yet because we wanted to get everything taken care of. Right now, we have two holes in our vanity sheetrock where the electrician had to check it out. That’s how we found the cut wire. The guy that did the bathroom told my husband that he had cut a wire, so he knew about it. We talked to someone from Independent Home about it and he was gonna see if he could get us any help on the bill we had to pay. He was supposed to call back last Thursday, and we haven’t heard from him.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We got a walk-in shower from Independent Home and it was great. The salesperson was really nice. He was really helpful. Everything that went from the salesperson to the install was top-notch. They got here early and were real prepared. They got it done within 4 hours and they cleaned up after themselves.

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your kind review. We hope you enjoy your new walk in shower for years to come. Have a great day!

Independent Customer Care Team

Original review: June 14, 2019

Independent Home called us for an appointment. They went through all the details to help us make our decision and we got the tub with the door that opens inside. The purchasing process was okay as far as interviews went. We also had a good experience with the installation team. I like that they were able to get in here and then get out. They also cleaned up when they were finished.

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation of Independent Home. Thanks for choosing us! Have a great day!

Original review: June 14, 2019

The installers arrived on scheduled time. Installers were very professional and very clean and very nice. They took all care of my house and possessions. Job was done in a very professional manner. I am very satisfied with the work performed. Would recommend.

Hi Frank,

We are happy to hear you are very satisfied with the work performed! Thanks for sharing your experience and for your kind review. Have a great day!

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

A manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002, the company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information