Get Started

4.6/5 (130 ratings)

About Independent Home

Independent Home manufactures and sells a variety of walk-in tub and shower models. Its product line includes soaker, whirlpool, wheelchair-accessible and bariatric walk-in tubs. The company offers a lifetime warranty on all its products. It requires an in-home consultation to determine the price of your walk-in tub.

Pros

• Customizable models
    • Installation discounts
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Rain showerhead options

Cons

• Capacity may affect water heater
    • No online pricing

Bottom Line

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible options. The company offers many tub sizes, including bariatric models. Get an in-home consultation for a quote.

Top Independent Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I love my walk-in tub. My only regret is I didn't get it sooner. Salesman was great and very nice. He actually listened to my needs and didn't push anything on me. The installers ...

Verified

We called Independent Home and they came out and they discussed the product with us. ... The installation was wonderful. The crew came about 8:30 and they were finished with the j...

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy.

The company also makes walk-in shower options for places where a tub might not be the right fit due to customer preference or bathroom size limitations.

Independent Home’s walk-in tub models include a deep-soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home shower and tub seats are ADA-compliant, making for a safer and more comfortable shower or bath experience.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features including the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs:

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
    • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lowering a person into the bath.
    • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer relaxing components that help to invigorate and gently massage your body during a shower or bath.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Independent Home provides certified installers to install your walk-in tub. These installers come from multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. Installation specialists are experts in this field and usually average well over 500 installations completed.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each representative explains how to use the tub after they install it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they’re satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges widely (installation is included), but it varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades you select. Adding options like hydrotherapy increases price. Independent Home suggests calling to receive a free, customized quote for your walk-in tub or shower.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what’s required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub in your space. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation coupon on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQ

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
    Independent Home backs its tubs with a lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered for all components of your tub.
    What are Independent Home’s walk-in tub dimensions?
    Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 33 by 35 inches to 26 to 26 inches, with several other measurement options between. All the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub. Its website suggests calling to find out more about specific sizing.
    Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
    There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and in Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist through the company’s website. Independent Home manufactures its tubs at its headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, many customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have a lot of health issues so we started looking at walk-in tubs about two years ago. We looked at Safe Step and something that was local. Price-wise, they compared to Independent Home. But the quality wasn't there. Francis with Independent Home came out and walked us through things. He did measurements and got us approved. The whole experience was good. Our first tub that was supposed to come got damaged so we had to wait an extra two or three days for them to ship another one. Installers came when they said they would and they put in the walk-in tub in the two days like they said they would. They got it all together and it’s wonderful. But it would have been better if there had been some way for me to have gotten in and out of the tub before it was installed. But it was already in the house and set up before I got to try to get in it.

The tub can hold a 300-pound person and getting in and out of it would be easy for someone of that weight. That was why we went with Independent. At that time, I was 280 and my son was 120. Our Independent tub door opens to the inside and it’s close to the feet. We’re having to get up on the seat, which is very difficult for me, to get the door closed before we can take our bath and get it open in order to get out. I have slid twice and I have broken my toes. The tub is so little for me and it’s a nightmare. My son also slipped in it and broke the inside of his left foot. But my husband does fine with the tub and enjoys it. He takes his shower.

I called and spoke to someone named Nate. He was supposed to talk to the owner of the company to get back in touch with him yesterday but I haven’t heard anything yet. I put another call to Nate this morning and we still haven’t heard back as to what we can do to fix our issue. Overall, the product is great. I love to look at the tub and I love the space that it took up.

Independent Home response

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your kind recommendation and for choosing us for your project! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I asked if there were certain amenities I can choose not to have and the Independent Home rep said no. I wasn't told there were different models. But I like the tub. It works great. I have the six water jets, the air jets and the light therapy as well as the aroma therapy. We might change the showerhead and get a little bit of better pressure on it. Also, we’ve been having some small problems with the surrounding stuff that was installed with tub and the way they had to fit the shelf in there. When the installer first put it in, the tub to the wall is about eight inches and we built a shelf there. But he built the shelf lower than the tub. So water would collect in that. It was about a half inch deep. So, I had a little tool, about six feet long, eight feet wide, and a half inch deep. I called and the guy put in another piece of masonry board in there. Then, he put another piece of surround on top and caulked it down.

We waited, like he said, two days before we used it. But I can go in there and I can push that little shelf down about a quarter of an inch. It's spongy. I don't know how he attached the surround to that masonry board. But right now, I've got a little bit of weight in there to try and keep it sealed. The first time he caulked as well, couple of spots shrinks a little bit as the caulk dries so some cracks showed up, and he filled them in. When he built that shelf again, when he caulked it and it dried and shrunk a little bit, some cracks showed up. So I'm caulking it myself again.

We're one of Independent Home’s younger customers because my wife is only 52 and I'm only 50. But we figured that it’s better to do it now while our minor inconveniences don't become ailments where it makes it so we have to have the walk-in tub. It's one of the better bangs for your buck. The only thing is to pay attention to some of the details and everything will be great. My wife loves it and even the teenagers are using the tub. It's like a spa treatment.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Originally, we were supposed to have the walk-in tub installed on the 30th of March, and it wound up being Easter weekend before they finally were able to get here. There was a delay at the factory, and that's understandable. And then, the installers were in Oklahoma the night before they were supposed to be here and having to drive home. They were going to wait until Monday, and then they said, "No, we'll just come Saturday. And if we don't get it all put in on Saturday, then we'll come back Sunday." And I said, "On Easter?" He says, "Oh, yeah, no problem." So that's what they did.

The only problem that I've had with it is that I didn't watch closely enough when they did the installation. I assumed that they were going to run the wiring through my attic. Instead, they ran it in some conduit and attached the conduit to my brand-new gutters. They're two years old. So I was kind of disappointed with that. But I've contacted the company and we've gotten estimates on redoing the wiring. I'm having an electrician come and redo the wiring and replacing the guttering that was drilled into, and Independent Home is covering all the expense of redoing it like that.

Every person that I've talked to in the company has been easy to talk to, including the salesperson as well as the installers as well as the finance manager as well as the VP. They were very understanding and helpful about the whole thing. I love the tub. I have used it several times since Easter. For a bath, it's very relaxing. I love the fact that it has the air jets and I don't have to worry about running water through it all the time to keep them clean. I couldn't ask for anything better.

Independent Home response

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for your recommendation and for working with us around the holiday! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 6, 2021

I got a call wanting to know if we were interested in a walk-in tub and I actually had been looking at tubs. The person called me back in a few days and we set a time for someone to come out here. A team of two men and one woman came for the installation of the walk-in tub. They said they would have the job done that day. We had a tub that was in the ground and they were gonna have to get that out of there then put the new tub in. We also did a new hot water heater because ours was about 19 years old. Sure enough, the installers did the job in a day.

They were neat and they didn't leave behind a big mess. They were very conscientious and kind too. My mother is bedridden and they had to go through her room because the bathroom was behind the room. They were very quiet when they came through the room. And when she was having to be changed, they left the house so that she wouldn't feel embarrassed.

We got the deluxe walk-in tub that had more bells and whistles. The water shoots out and the air things do the same thing. I have an incredibly bad back and legs so I wanted to have as much working on it as I could. When I first used the walk-in tub, my back didn't hurt me for two days afterward. I use the walk-in tub every other day. It's just that it happens a lot where I find something and it works great then once I get used to it, it stops. But it still helps. Right now, half of my back is hurting but the other half is not. On the whole, Independent Home did everything they said they were going to. People have been teasing me and telling me that I should start selling tickets because I tell everybody, "You got to try this tub, you gotta try this tub."

Original review: March 16, 2021

I can step into the walk-in tub from Independent Home and sit down and I like the therapy. I like those little air jets. It’s like getting a massage with water. I lay in there and I thank God for the decision I've made to go ahead and pull the trigger on getting it. At first, I thought I wasn’t gonna be able to get it in there because the guy said the tub wouldn't fit. They had said they were gonna have to enlarge my door. But when he got here and looked at it, he said that he could put the tub in if he could cut a space big enough for it in the living room and slide it through there and then replace the drywall once he got in. By doing that, it saved me another $300. He didn’t charge me the $300 for having to replace the door and put a bigger doorway in.

They clean up very well. ​I can tell where they've made that cut in the wall, but it doesn’t bother me. I just hope that it doesn't be a problem if I ever decide to resell. Also, the walk-in tub may be a setback as far as a family with children is concerned if they are among the buyers because they probably won't want a walk-in tub. But somebody might come through that wanna buy it in the same situation I am, single and just want a good tub to relax in.

The only complaint I have is that the tub isn't long enough for me to lay down in without folding my legs. I’m 6’3” so I have to have a much bigger bathroom to get one in long enough. I also doubt if they even make them that long. But I’d highly recommend it to people over 50 years old that are still active and like to do a lot of walking, even younger people. If you have an active workout regime, your muscles do feel very tired and aching, and having the walk-in tub is like a miracle to your muscles. You’ll relax so well.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Independent Home sent one of the representatives out and I spoke with him. He answered all of our questions pretty much. I did some more looking around. I finally ended up with him, and I've been very happy since. Three men came out for the installation, and they've got that thing down to a science. Everything was perfect. They did a great job. As far as the tub, quality is good. The features were everything we talked about. It's working very well for my needs. The whole transaction was handled very well and I'm very pleased.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I couldn't use the water tap faucet outside in the back. I contacted Independent Home and they said they would look into it. That was about two weeks ago. Other than that, the installation was great and the guys were super. I have the tub for about a month now and the quality seems to be good. The water pressure is not very good, but it's not bad. And it's easy to get in and out of.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Independent Home seemed like they were more responsible and less fly-by-night people. Also, the tub is guaranteed for life. Everybody that came through was good people, and they did the job good. They got here on time. It didn't take them very long to do the job. They did exactly what they said they would do. When they brought the tub in here, they set it up in my living room and had me get in it before so I would be satisfied with it. It was okay for what I needed it for. The guy that came after, where they had to cut the hole out of the wall, did an excellent job. I've hired him to do some other work for me. The only thing is that I’m a pretty big guy and the tub is a little tight for me. They could make it a little bit wider. But it’s okay. The bathtub is perfect. But the price is kinda high. A lot of people that need it could not afford it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

The installation guys were very friendly and took care to cover the carpet, and did not leave a mess. However, they didn't seal the drain holes that they cut, so when the wind blows, it comes in the house. I got up in the middle of the night, and I could see light coming up from the floor where the tub sits on the floor because they didn't seal things underneath there and the yard light was shining inside the house. They came back and sealed up those. Then the air that comes out of the jets when in the warm water was cold. I don't know if there is something I need to adjust. Other than that, the tub works great and exactly like it's supposed to. I love it. The problem that I'm having now is getting enough hot water in it because my hot water tank is small.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Independent Home had a good price and a good product. We love it. My husband likes the wave feature that it has. I just like to be able to get in and out of a tub. I'm very pleased about that.

Independent Home Company Information