Get Started

2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

4.6/5 (152 ratings)

About Independent Home

Independent Home manufactures and sells a variety of walk-in tub and shower models. Its product line includes soaker, whirlpool, wheelchair-accessible and bariatric walk-in tubs. The company offers a lifetime warranty on all its products. It requires an in-home consultation to determine the price of your walk-in tub.

Pros

• Customizable models
    • Installation discounts
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Rain showerhead options

Cons

• Capacity may affect water heater
    • No online pricing

Bottom Line

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible options. The company offers many tub sizes, including bariatric models. Get an in-home consultation for a quote.

Top Independent Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I love my walk-in tub. My only regret is I didn't get it sooner. Salesman was great and very nice. He actually listened to my needs and didn't push anything on me. The installers ...

Verified

We called Independent Home and they came out and they discussed the product with us. ... The installation was wonderful. The crew came about 8:30 and they were finished with the j...

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy.

The company also makes walk-in shower options for places where a tub might not be the right fit due to customer preference or bathroom size limitations.

Independent Home’s walk-in tub models include a deep-soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home shower and tub seats are ADA-compliant, making for a safer and more comfortable shower or bath experience.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features including the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs:

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
    • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lowering a person into the bath.
    • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer relaxing components that help to invigorate and gently massage your body during a shower or bath.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Independent Home provides certified installers to install your walk-in tub. These installers come from multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. Installation specialists are experts in this field and usually average well over 500 installations completed.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each representative explains how to use the tub after they install it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they’re satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges widely (installation is included), but it varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades you select. Adding options like hydrotherapy increases price. Independent Home suggests calling to receive a free, customized quote for your walk-in tub or shower.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what’s required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub in your space. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation coupon on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQ

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
    Independent Home backs its tubs with a lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered for all components of your tub.
    What are Independent Home’s walk-in tub dimensions?
    Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 33 by 35 inches to 26 to 26 inches, with several other measurement options between. All the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub. Its website suggests calling to find out more about specific sizing.
    Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
    There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and in Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist through the company’s website. Independent Home manufactures its tubs at its headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, many customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have a lot of health issues so we started looking at walk-in tubs about two years ago. We looked at Safe Step and something that was local. Price-wise, they compared to Independent Home. But the quality wasn't there. Francis with Independent Home came out and walked us through things. He did measurements and got us approved. The whole experience was good. Our first tub that was supposed to come got damaged so we had to wait an extra two or three days for them to ship another one. Installers came when they said they would and they put in the walk-in tub in the two days like they said they would. They got it all together and it’s wonderful. But it would have been better if there had been some way for me to have gotten in and out of the tub before it was installed. But it was already in the house and set up before I got to try to get in it.

The tub can hold a 300-pound person and getting in and out of it would be easy for someone of that weight. That was why we went with Independent. At that time, I was 280 and my son was 120. Our Independent tub door opens to the inside and it’s close to the feet. We’re having to get up on the seat, which is very difficult for me, to get the door closed before we can take our bath and get it open in order to get out. I have slid twice and I have broken my toes. The tub is so little for me and it’s a nightmare. My son also slipped in it and broke the inside of his left foot. But my husband does fine with the tub and enjoys it. He takes his shower.

I called and spoke to someone named Nate. He was supposed to talk to the owner of the company to get back in touch with him yesterday but I haven’t heard anything yet. I put another call to Nate this morning and we still haven’t heard back as to what we can do to fix our issue. Overall, the product is great. I love to look at the tub and I love the space that it took up.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I asked if there were certain amenities I can choose not to have and the Independent Home rep said no. I wasn't told there were different models. But I like the tub. It works great. I have the six water jets, the air jets and the light therapy as well as the aroma therapy. We might change the showerhead and get a little bit of better pressure on it. Also, we’ve been having some small problems with the surrounding stuff that was installed with tub and the way they had to fit the shelf in there. When the installer first put it in, the tub to the wall is about eight inches and we built a shelf there. But he built the shelf lower than the tub. So water would collect in that. It was about a half inch deep. So, I had a little tool, about six feet long, eight feet wide, and a half inch deep. I called and the guy put in another piece of masonry board in there. Then, he put another piece of surround on top and caulked it down.

We waited, like he said, two days before we used it. But I can go in there and I can push that little shelf down about a quarter of an inch. It's spongy. I don't know how he attached the surround to that masonry board. But right now, I've got a little bit of weight in there to try and keep it sealed. The first time he caulked as well, couple of spots shrinks a little bit as the caulk dries so some cracks showed up, and he filled them in. When he built that shelf again, when he caulked it and it dried and shrunk a little bit, some cracks showed up. So I'm caulking it myself again.

We're one of Independent Home’s younger customers because my wife is only 52 and I'm only 50. But we figured that it’s better to do it now while our minor inconveniences don't become ailments where it makes it so we have to have the walk-in tub. It's one of the better bangs for your buck. The only thing is to pay attention to some of the details and everything will be great. My wife loves it and even the teenagers are using the tub. It's like a spa treatment.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I can step into the walk-in tub from Independent Home and sit down and I like the therapy. I like those little air jets. It’s like getting a massage with water. I lay in there and I thank God for the decision I've made to go ahead and pull the trigger on getting it. At first, I thought I wasn’t gonna be able to get it in there because the guy said the tub wouldn't fit. They had said they were gonna have to enlarge my door. But when he got here and looked at it, he said that he could put the tub in if he could cut a space big enough for it in the living room and slide it through there and then replace the drywall once he got in. By doing that, it saved me another $300. He didn’t charge me the $300 for having to replace the door and put a bigger doorway in.

They clean up very well. ​I can tell where they've made that cut in the wall, but it doesn’t bother me. I just hope that it doesn't be a problem if I ever decide to resell. Also, the walk-in tub may be a setback as far as a family with children is concerned if they are among the buyers because they probably won't want a walk-in tub. But somebody might come through that wanna buy it in the same situation I am, single and just want a good tub to relax in.

The only complaint I have is that the tub isn't long enough for me to lay down in without folding my legs. I’m 6’3” so I have to have a much bigger bathroom to get one in long enough. I also doubt if they even make them that long. But I’d highly recommend it to people over 50 years old that are still active and like to do a lot of walking, even younger people. If you have an active workout regime, your muscles do feel very tired and aching, and having the walk-in tub is like a miracle to your muscles. You’ll relax so well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I had both knees replaced and to take a regular bath was really difficult. It was dangerous to get up and out of a regular tub. I hadn't talked to my husband very much about getting a walk-in tub until we were contacted by phone. I told him that I really would enjoy that type of a bath. I have fibromyalgia and I take medication for that. By the end of the afternoon, sometimes, I have a lot of aches and pains. The thought of being able to relax in a warm tub in the evening sounded so wonderful to me.

When Independent Home called, the lady asked if they could send over a person to talk to me about the tub. I wanted to know about how much it would cost and if they could put one in where our regular tub was. The salesperson answered all of our questions. It didn't feel like we were talking to a salesperson. The first thing he did was measure our doorframe to see if it could go in, and it could. We found out that we could afford it. We're not going on cruises right now so we have some money that we could spend other ways.

I've taken one shower since we had it put in. During the first part of October, it's been the baths. We wanted to know if it was costing us more water usage. We compared October to September water usage and the cost difference was 40 cents. I was taking baths as often as I was taking showers so for 40 cents difference, it was very nice. I love my Independent Home walk-in bathtub. It has helped and it's very relaxing. I have problems with going to sleep and we've learned that that helps if I take a bath in there before I go to bed.

The second time I used it, I had remembered that I had some bubble bath that was out. I had never used bubble baths and thought it would be nice to get some bubbles. So, I poured some in and turned those jets on. But I wasn't real familiar with the tub and the bubbles kept getting bigger and bigger and I couldn't find the button to shut the jets off because it was hidden by all the bubbles. I yelled for my husband to come. Luckily, he was up. He came and I was up to my chin in bubbles and it was almost overflowing the bathtub. That's a warning to be very familiar with the tub and know how much bubble bath you should use. Now, I'm very conservative with how much I put in.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

The team did a good job of getting the tub in. That was amazing. The bathroom was a very small area. They cut a part of the wall out and they were able to get in. I had painters come in and redo everything. They sanded it down and painted the whole bathroom afterwards. You wouldn't even know a wall had been cut. The guy that did the installation knew what he was doing. His helper made several mistakes but he did a good job putting it all back together. The pocket door works perfectly.

They had a hard time connecting the drain pipe down into the drain that goes out to the septic system. We haven't tried it yet and we hope it works. It leaked in the beginning when he first did it through the ceiling in the basement. But we figured that was because he was trying to get it done. He told me about that. We went down there and I got to replace one tile which is not a big deal. But I still don't know when we go to turn the power. It sucks the water out fast. I don't know where it's gonna go through and cause a problem with the hose.

The only thing I had any kind of concern about is the caulking along the edges and along the tub itself got a little bit sloppy. I called their office and told them I didn't like the silicone caulk that goes around the bathtub. He got it on the tub itself but I don't blame him. He was here 12 hours to put in a small little tub so it was tough. Towards the end, I know he was getting tired. He had to go back and take care of the errors that his helper had done. His helper was a nice older guy but he obviously has not been a real carpenter and doesn't recognize how things go back together.

We had it painted since then and it looks nice. However, when we tried to paint, there was caulk in areas we couldn't get to and some of it was on the floor. I don't know how they're gonna fix the caulking. I've already called in but Independent Home has not returned the call back to me. It was a week ago. I am dissatisfied with the fact that I called their office and told them we had a problem but I haven't heard back from anybody.

Original review: July 22, 2021

The beautiful tub from Independent Home has given me my life back. I fell twice in the shower and wasn't looking forward to the third one. So, I had to do something. I'm taking care of myself, and I'm doing pretty good at it. Independent Home put this in front of me and I brainstormed it and went, "That's what I need." It makes my bathroom look awesome. It’s cool. The sales guy was like Superman. He was really awesome. I wish I had about five more homes, so I could buy five more tubs. I tell everybody that that's what they need.

Independent Home response

Hi Larry,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for choosing us for your project. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 19, 2021

The installers did an excellent job. There was a little hiccup in a couple of places that didn't pan out, not from an installation’s perspective but on the preliminary side, but the issues got resolved. The quality of the walk-in tub is good. In fact, I gave a big kudos to the installations crew. That was the best part of the experience, especially when the first time they delivered the tub, it didn't have the features that I had. They didn't hesitate to say, “Well, we're gonna get you the right tub,” and they corrected that.

Original review: July 18, 2021

The installers were here for a long time and they cleaned up their mess and did a good job. We liked the representative that we were dealing with and the tub is excellent. We like the jets.

Independent Home response

Hi Bill & Jane,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for choosing us for your project! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: July 17, 2021

We like the tub. My husband really likes it when he gets in it. He also likes the jets and seat in it. We were hoping it had heat in it, but it didn't. We've got the wave, the down, the up, and the heat on it. We asked for the panels that go up the ceiling, but this one doesn't do that. It went part of the way up the wall.

Original review: July 16, 2021

The installment crew helped me out. I had some electrical questions on a different plug and they knew more about it than I did. They told me what I needed to do so they gave me more information. Everything’s good so far. I like the jets in the tub too. I've already recommended Independent Home.

Independent Home Company Information