2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible tubs. The company offers more size options than any other walk-in tub brand. Accurate pricing is determined through a free in-home consultation.

PROS

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Bariatric models available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Various customizable models

CONS

• Tub capacity may affect water heater
  • No online pricing

Top Independent Home Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

The installation guy was...very good at what he did, and he's done it several times. And he was like clockwork. He did it in one day. Installation was great, and I especially liked the attachments, the faucets, and everything else. They're top-notch. They have a very good quality tub.

I got an Independent Home tub with a wheelchair access. Everything worked fine. The installation team was excellent. They were in and out, and had it done in eight hours. I can now get in, take a bath without worrying about falling.

Independent Home Get Started

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each model comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy. The company also makes a walk-in shower for situations where an Independent Home tub may not be the right fit because of customer preference or bathroom size limitation.

Independent Home walk-in tub models include an affordable deep soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home products are ADA compliant.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features such as the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs.

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
  • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lower people into the bath.
  • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer an extendable showerhead, user-friendly locking handles and one-touch controls.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Your Independent Home walk-in tub installation is performed by certified installers skilled in multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. New team members are trained by current installation professionals and must complete at least 200 walk-in tub installations as part of someone else’s team before running their own.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each employee explains how to use the tub to the customer after installing it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they are satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges from about $8,000 to $12,000, installation included, but varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades added to the tub. Adding options such as hydrotherapy to a tub increases its price.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what is required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation certificate on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQs

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
Independent Home backs its tubs with a full lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered on all components of your tub and every aspect of installation.
What are the Independent Home walk-in tubs dimensions?
Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 35 to 60 inches in length, 36 to 47 inches in height and 26 to 33 inches in width. The company’s most compact model is the Cube, and its largest model is the Access. All of the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub.
Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist via the company’s website. The tubs are made in the U.S. and manufactured at the company’s headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I had both knees replaced and to take a regular bath was really difficult. It was dangerous to get up and out of a regular tub. I hadn't talked to my husband very much about getting a walk-in tub until we were contacted by phone. I told him that I really would enjoy that type of a bath. I have fibromyalgia and I take medication for that. By the end of the afternoon, sometimes, I have a lot of aches and pains. The thought of being able to relax in a warm tub in the evening sounded so wonderful to me.

When Independent Home called, the lady asked if they could send over a person to talk to me about the tub. I wanted to know about how much it would cost and if they could put one in where our regular tub was. The salesperson answered all of our questions. It didn't feel like we were talking to a salesperson. The first thing he did was measure our doorframe to see if it could go in, and it could. We found out that we could afford it. We're not going on cruises right now so we have some money that we could spend other ways.

I've taken one shower since we had it put in. During the first part of October, it's been the baths. We wanted to know if it was costing us more water usage. We compared October to September water usage and the cost difference was 40 cents. I was taking baths as often as I was taking showers so for 40 cents difference, it was very nice. I love my Independent Home walk-in bathtub. It has helped and it's very relaxing. I have problems with going to sleep and we've learned that that helps if I take a bath in there before I go to bed.

The second time I used it, I had remembered that I had some bubble bath that was out. I had never used bubble baths and thought it would be nice to get some bubbles. So, I poured some in and turned those jets on. But I wasn't real familiar with the tub and the bubbles kept getting bigger and bigger and I couldn't find the button to shut the jets off because it was hidden by all the bubbles. I yelled for my husband to come. Luckily, he was up. He came and I was up to my chin in bubbles and it was almost overflowing the bathtub. That's a warning to be very familiar with the tub and know how much bubble bath you should use. Now, I'm very conservative with how much I put in.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

The team did a good job of getting the tub in. That was amazing. The bathroom was a very small area. They cut a part of the wall out and they were able to get in. I had painters come in and redo everything. They sanded it down and painted the whole bathroom afterwards. You wouldn't even know a wall had been cut. The guy that did the installation knew what he was doing. His helper made several mistakes but he did a good job putting it all back together. The pocket door works perfectly.

They had a hard time connecting the drain pipe down into the drain that goes out to the septic system. We haven't tried it yet and we hope it works. It leaked in the beginning when he first did it through the ceiling in the basement. But we figured that was because he was trying to get it done. He told me about that. We went down there and I got to replace one tile which is not a big deal. But I still don't know when we go to turn the power. It sucks the water out fast. I don't know where it's gonna go through and cause a problem with the hose.

The only thing I had any kind of concern about is the caulking along the edges and along the tub itself got a little bit sloppy. I called their office and told them I didn't like the silicone caulk that goes around the bathtub. He got it on the tub itself but I don't blame him. He was here 12 hours to put in a small little tub so it was tough. Towards the end, I know he was getting tired. He had to go back and take care of the errors that his helper had done. His helper was a nice older guy but he obviously has not been a real carpenter and doesn't recognize how things go back together.

We had it painted since then and it looks nice. However, when we tried to paint, there was caulk in areas we couldn't get to and some of it was on the floor. I don't know how they're gonna fix the caulking. I've already called in but Independent Home has not returned the call back to me. It was a week ago. I am dissatisfied with the fact that I called their office and told them we had a problem but I haven't heard back from anybody.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I lost my leg a couple of years ago and we needed to get a tub that was stable enough for me to get in and out of with one leg because I might lose the other one too. So I started looking on Facebook and we called Safe Step but they wanted quite a bit of money. And Medicare really don't help people like me that have prosthetics. So, we couldn't afford them. I started looking more and I set up an appointment with Independent Home. Their sales rep came out and was telling me what the price would be. His name was Patrick and he was very nice and very informative. He told us to call him if we had questions or anything. We've called him several times and he called us right back. I also liked the way he presented the tub and how he was so professional. He was very helpful to us because we did have questions, so we really enjoyed meeting him.

Aside from that, there's a lifetime warranty on the tub. Plus, we knew we'd be moving and when I asked him what was going to happen with my tub if I have to move, he said they will move it for free and reinstall it wherever I go. So because of that and the price, we went with them. Their rep came out with the paperwork while they were installing the tub. My husband and I filled all that out, and they weren't pressuring us about this or that as far as price. And they worked with us really well about getting the old tub out and getting the new one in. So, it was a good experience all around. So far, everybody wants to come in and see my tub and I've recommended it to five people who have all been at my house. One of our friends also wants to come and see it. She's at the beach right now but I have told her all about it and I gave her Patrick's number. When she gets back, she intends on calling him.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

We found a few models of the walk-in shower and all kinds of prospectus on them, and decided that Independent Home would fit our needs the best, realizing that it is not that much different from many that we had looked at. However, its price was somewhat more reasonable than others had been, even though we felt it was expensive, but it was something that our time and physical abilities in our lives that we needed something that was a more accessible than the step-in tub that we had.

The sales representative came out, looked over the situation and we discussed the aspects of it. We went ahead and did it, and then scheduled an installation date and time. The installation crew came and proceeded to do it. They had a problem that they couldn't solve the first day so they had to come back the second day to actually do the installation. But they did it fairly efficiently, and cleaned up very well and left everything in a nice workable and livable condition without too much disturbance. It was an excellent experience.

The showerhead comes up on its rod just fine for pipes and so forth, but it would be nice if its handle was a little longer so that it came further out from the wall over the tub. When you use the shower head, it splashes back against the wall and the controls up against the front end of the tub there. It's hard to get under the shower. It doesn't come out far enough. It's partly due to the shower configuration. But we had somewhat of a problem with the splash from the shower over the shelf. It's the back edge of the tub that had to be filled in with a shelf between there and the wall behind it simply because of the configuration of the bathroom.

We get water over on the back side of the tub fixture and the tub installation. And then you have to sop up quite a bit of water back there. We've tried to rig some kind of a shower curtain on the backside as well. I realized that in some installations there's not a problem there, but in ours there is about a foot wide shelf across between or the side of the tub and the back wall of the bathroom. I'm trying to rig up an additional shower curtain to go on that side of it, so it has a shower curtain on both sides of the tub.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

We love our Independent Home tub. My husband and I both have issues because we're 85 and 86, and he has a terrible back. And so, we've been talking about getting more of these tubs. This young man called and said he was in our area making calls, and that they were putting a special out. He said, "I'm from the Dallas area, but I'm in Amarillo, and I would love to come and present this to you." I asked if he could be here at 10 o'clock in the morning which was a Saturday morning in December. He was here at 10 o'clock that Saturday morning. It was very unusual for anybody to make that kind of a prompt call by phone especially in person.

He came in and we met with him, but we had to go to MD Anderson. My husband has cancer, and we were going down for a check-up. And so, we told him, "Nate, we cannot sign now because we don't know what we're gonna find out when we get to MD Anderson, and we must wait and see what we have going on." He said he was gonna be working the Amarillo area and that he would call us. We had to go down on Wednesday, see the doctor, had test run, do the doctor's thing on Thursday, and we started home Friday. I asked Nate what was the plan, and he said he'd call us at 4 o'clock Friday. We were driving through Fort Worth, Texas at 4 o'clock Friday, and I got a phone call from him. He stayed over to meet with us Saturday morning. He was here at 10 o'clock. He called at 4 o'clock. You don't find that in this world today from young people. And so, that made a great impression on us.

We went through it all. And we had looked at some others and we had tried to get local plumbers even from as far as Lubbock and Amarillo to come and give a look at where it had to go and look and see what could be done about it. We talked to the guy in New York. We talked to one in Des Moines that was head of the contractors. Then Christmas came and went. And so, we decided that we would do it after Christmas. They've contacted us, gave us a time that the contractors would be here, and they came a day and a half early. They called, and this is Shonda and Shasta.

Shasta's the head of contractors. She called and said, "Could we come and look? We know this is gonna be an unusual job for us." They came out Sunday evening, and they were here when they told us they'd be here. They told us that they would be here at 9 o'clock Monday morning to start the work, and they had a plan. They were here at 9 o'clock every day that they worked for us because that's the time they chose to come. These two women did an awesome job.

We are in love with the whole thing so far. We enjoy the air bubbles and the water jets. We like the low shower. When we went back to the doctor for the first time after my husband had used it just a couple of times, his back was so much better that the doctor told us that it had probably moved some muscles off of the nerves that were giving him a lot of his problems. We're very satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

We bought our tub from Independent Home after having American Standard and Safe Step come by and Patrick from independent home was so nice and easy to deal with. Our tub was installed 11-17 and the installers did a great job. They worked from 830 am till 6 pm nonstop. Patrick and Jessie are nice and know their job. We are very happy with our tub and we highly recommend Independent home. Danny and Evilyn **.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

We were satisfied with the price at Independent Home, which made us decide to work with them. The installation team was very good and they did a great job. I like that you can get a massage from the tub's two levels of massage.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I am very pleased so far. Will know better tomorrow when I can try it out. They were careful not to mess up my carpet, etc. The tub looks great! They were friendly and hardworking. They gave me lots of information on how to use it, and I have an instruction manual. Hoping it eases my back pain.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

Independent Home was the least expensive walk-in tub manufacturer. Their sales rep was nice and those guys who installed it were excellent. The walk-in tub was what I was expecting. I hadn’t had a bathtub bath for a long time and I bought it ‘cause I wanted to sit and soak. I'm relaxed when I get out of the tub.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

We have bad backs and we were going to the pool, and sitting in the jacuzzi. I looked at Jacuzzi and they were so far of our budget. I’d seen Independent Home and I thought that I'd try this one. The installers were very young men. They were so polite, respectful, and they cleaned up really well. They had to go through my son's wall which was on the other side because the tub wouldn't fit around a closet thing that I have in my back room. They did an awesome job. They moved things out, they put things back, and they took very good care of it. I was really happy about the tub. I like to be able to sit down to bathe and it takes a little bit more water. But mine doesn't get quite as hot as I'd like. I have to run just straight hot water because, luckily, we have a large solar water tank. It's just that it's too small for us. We're big people and getting in and out of that door is a little rough. But we'll get used to it.

Independent Home Company Information