4.80/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible tubs. The company offers more size options than any other walk-in tub brand. Accurate pricing is determined through a free in-home consultation.

PROS

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Bariatric models available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Various customizable models

CONS

• Tub capacity may affect water heater
  • No online pricing

Top Independent Home Reviews

The installation guy was...very good at what he did, and he's done it several times. And he was like clockwork. He did it in one day. Installation was great, and I especially liked the attachments, the faucets, and everything else. They're top-notch. They have a very good quality tub.

I got an Independent Home tub with a wheelchair access. Everything worked fine. The installation team was excellent. They were in and out, and had it done in eight hours. I can now get in, take a bath without worrying about falling.

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each model comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy. The company also makes a walk-in shower for situations where an Independent Home tub may not be the right fit because of customer preference or bathroom size limitation.

Independent Home walk-in tub models include an affordable deep soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home products are ADA compliant.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features such as the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs.

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
  • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lower people into the bath.
  • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer an extendable showerhead, user-friendly locking handles and one-touch controls.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Your Independent Home walk-in tub installation is performed by certified installers skilled in multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. New team members are trained by current installation professionals and must complete at least 200 walk-in tub installations as part of someone else’s team before running their own.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each employee explains how to use the tub to the customer after installing it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they are satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges from about $8,000 to $12,000, installation included, but varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades added to the tub. Adding options such as hydrotherapy to a tub increases its price.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what is required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation certificate on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQs

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
Independent Home backs its tubs with a full lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered on all components of your tub and every aspect of installation.
What are the Independent Home walk-in tubs dimensions?
Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 35 to 60 inches in length, 36 to 47 inches in height and 26 to 33 inches in width. The company’s most compact model is the Cube, and its largest model is the Access. All of the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub.
Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist via the company’s website. The tubs are made in the U.S. and manufactured at the company’s headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I had been thinking about having a walk-in tub put in. I had one contractor come in six months ago, and he was gonna charge so much. And then Nate from Independent Home called me, and we set up a time for the salesman to come and talk to me. He showed me his brochures and what they had to offer and the price. So we went from there. And I've been well satisfied with it.

The installation team was supposed to get here on Friday morning, but the guy called me and he asked if Monday would be okay. I told him it would be fine and he said he would be here between 9:30 or 10:00. He also said he would call me before he got here. I told him it was okay. At 11 he hadn't come, so I called him. He said he was on his way, and that he told me between 10:30 and 11:30. I told him he didn't tell me that. But that was okay. When he came to the door, he said he was real sorry.

His son was with him, and they tore out some walls that day so it took them a while to get that out. But they got that out the first day and then they left. They came back the next morning sort of early. He told me he'd call before he got here. They worked that day, and he had to go to Lowe's and get some stuff because by that time, they had poured the bath tub out. They had to tear it up so they could get it out. And then they got the walls fixed. He told me everything looked good, but he reinforced everything back there. He did a good job. They were both nice as they could be, and we just got off on the wrong foot at first. But after that, we were joking and talking and we got along fine.

Nate all of the papers that I had to sign, and he stayed here all afternoon, which was fine. Everybody was real nice. I've enjoyed the tub. The only thing was that I wanted a bar. I only have one hand bar up at the front where your shower heads are, and I wanted one at the other end because that's where your seat is. So when the man that makes this product called me and asked me if I was satisfied with everything that they did, I told him I was and everything went along okay. I said that it is real pretty and I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy it. I then told him that they need a bar at the other end where the seat is. He said he haven't thought about that. And then I told him that I was call Nate because he told me to call him if there was anything that I needed that I didn't get. So I called him, and last Friday, they came and put the other bar in. I'm well pleased with my walk-in tub. Everybody has really taken care of me and the tub looks nice.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

The possibility of my mother having to move in with us made me interested in getting a walk-in tub. She’s 78 years old, and she has a hard time getting in and out of the tub. When I spent most of the last winter with her in Indiana, she was complaining to me that one of her biggest issues at her own home was the fact that she had a hard time taking a bath. She didn't want me helping, yet she wanted her back washed and whatnot, so she had to sit on the edge of the tub. She was talking about how much that hurt her bottom.

With the Independent Home walk-in tub, she doesn’t have to worry about hurting her bottom because it has the nice seat in there. She wouldn’t be able to handle the high jet. That'd be too much for her because she’s really skinny but I’ve tried the settings just so that I would be prepared for her, because I do expect her to move in here when she finally realizes that she needs to. So, we’re getting our house, at least part of it, ready for her. I’ve taken a shower using the showerhead, the handheld one, and I realized that you should take your bath first, then wash your hair with the shower last. Otherwise, you’re gonna sit there and get a little cold while straightened. It’s not much, but for her, that would make a big difference.

The sales rep from Independent Home was great. He was down-to-earth and was not a hard sell because I had done a lot of checking online and read up on different things. I went first with Safe Step but didn't like the response we got from them. The two installers from Independent Home were good too. They were very polite, very caring about our house and took time to explain things to us. They accidentally cut a wire in our bathroom and spent a long time with my husband in getting things corrected, but they were good. I was worried about the mess but the guys cleaned up after themselves really nice and I couldn't ask for a better experience.

I like that I can sit in the new walk-in tub and have aromatherapy, which was what I wanted for myself. I started using the walk-in because it was easier for me to get in and out of it rather than my hot tub. So, I shut down my hot tub to use the walk-in tub myself. Also, I love the quality. I hope that anybody else that has back problems, neck problems, or any kind of problems take time to really look into it. I didn't realize how much it would even benefit me.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your kind words and for getting the tub for your mother! That is great to hear and we are glad that she is able to bath independently now. Have a wonderful day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I was thinking about a walk-in tub and I already talked to a person that had done some work for us and he came and told me all the kind of things that would have to be done, and so I ended up deciding not to do a walk-in tub. This was about six months before I found out about Independent Home. When the rep from Independent Home came, it was later on in the day and he took all the time in the world. He was fantastic, very patient and he explained very well.

Three guys came to do the installation and I knew they were coming. A couple of things were explained to me such that they were gonna have to take out the frame of the door into the bathroom and that they were gonna have to do some work downstairs so that we had the right kind of electric so that wasn't gonna be a problem. He took extra time because I've had a lot of different jobs in my life and I am not one that just says, "Okay, go ahead and do it." In a nice way, I found out what they would have to do. Then, we agreed that some of the tiles could stay the way it was, and it would work out well. But they had to do some major work on getting the unit, so it would fit and so then, when they actually brought it, they were able to make it right into the room. They had to be careful but they were strong. One of them was more experienced than the other. The one that was less experienced took orders very well and did exactly what he was told to do.

I like that I was able to talk to my wife into doing it. I'm able to sit in it and when it's filling in from the bottom, I'm able to wash my hair. I don't have to wait until it's full to do that, so that's one nice feature. I like the ability to be able to soak and then have the bubbles come flying around, which is nice. When I'm finished and I pull on the chain, it does not take very long to be emptied, which is an important thing. Another important thing that they’re way ahead of most competition is that about five minutes after it has emptied, for about a minute and a half, I hear the other pump working, taking all the water out of the system. So, when we fill up next time, there's no dirty water that mixes all in, which is a great feature.

Hi George,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your recommendation. We are happy to hear that your installation was performed with care. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

My wife had an accident and we were gonna do a Thermospa that I saw on TV. I talked with my older brother who has polio and has never been able to walk. He's up-to-date on what does and doesn't work. He told me that if we get a spa in our back patio, we'll never get to where we can use it because of the weather. Plus, there are the chemicals and getting her in and out of it. It wasn't a luxury item though, it was medically necessary with the circulation because of my wife's diabetes and her back injury. My brother suggested to get a tub. I looked at Pat Boone with Safe Step. I also got looking online and Independent Home kept popping. They were at the top of ConsumerAffairs and the voters rate it highly.

I really liked the sale rep and what he stood for. We sat in my home, talked for a minute and saw what was going on in our situation. He told me a little bit about his history, what he had done previously, and where he was at now. I was comfortable with him. He was a straight shooter and aboveboard. He wasn't a high-pressure salesman. He laid the price on the table with everything it came with and said that it was not going one way or another and that we were getting a good deal.

I checked into Safe Steps, Kohler, Jacuzzi, and even Re-Bath in Macon. They start out 18,000 and go up into the 20s, which was really pricey. We live in a retirement community and my neighbor next-door said that his cousin was looking into getting one that was 25,000. I thought that was a little bit over-the-top and ridiculous. We came in at 9,000 with Independent Home, which was really good. What I like most about Independent Home though is that the tub has a lifetime warranty on it and the warranty goes along with the house. A lot of other companies offer a five-year warranty. If we ever sell the house, the tub is gonna be a selling point in a 55 and up retirement community.

The tub we got has all the bells and whistles to it. It has aromatherapy, the head shower, the air massage, a seating area, and the eight jets. Independent Home also put in some safety grips and hand grips. We put it in our guest bathroom, so it didn't interfere with the master bath. The two guys that came over to install it were aboveboard and really professional. They pulled up with their truck and trailer and they were in and out in one day. Plus, they cleaned up after themselves.

When my wife gets out of that tub at night, she can get a whole night's sleep. She doesn't wake up in the middle of the night and cuss in pain. The doctor has gone as far with her that they were able to go and there's nothing else that science can do for her. I was just taking a chance, but I feel very blessed that I ran across Independent Home.

Original review: May 15, 2019

We had a representative come to our house and he ended up selling us a tub. I've been through the mill with salespeople and been a salesperson. I kinda know the ins and outs of stuff like that, and some of it rubs me the wrong way. But the rep from Independent Home was personable and he knew about the product. He is a fellow veteran, so we connected on that. The installation guys did a wonderful job. They knew exactly what they were doing. They were clean and they didn’t leave a mess. They was super nice, friendly, and willing to do whatever we needed. Even when they had to come back, they were the same. There was something wrong with the motor. It would make a super loud, ear-piercing sound. They had to replace the motor and it has been working good since then.

The original door of the bathroom wasn’t real wide so they put a bigger door. We had a cast iron bathtub and it was super heavy. It was a total surprise to me that they took it out and didn’t have to take any walls down. The only thing was that the installer didn't pay attention and when he had to go to a local hardware to get the door, he got the left-hand instead of the right-hand opening. The door that he took out opened to the right, but he got a door that opened to the left. He asked us if we were not happy because he could go back and get the other one. But we went ahead and told him it was okay. We’ve had to get used to the door and opening it the opposite way, but we’re pretty well used to it now.

My wife uses the bath more than I do. I'm a shower guy, but I have also used the bath and the jets. We were expecting that tub had to be warmer than what it is. It don’t seem warm to me and my wife. I was expecting some warm air. I got the impression that the air was warm enough to field warm air. This definitely does not feel warm. Also, the shower is a little bit small but it is still okay. It does the job and I like the handles to hold on to, and the seat. I have trouble bending over and I use the seat to put my feet up to wash it. All in all, we’re happy with the tub. It works like they said it would.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

After the guy told me their price, I never thought it would cost that much. But I do like the material that they use. The installer was very conscientious. I liked him. He didn't get in a hurry. He was here two and a half days. They said he would do it one day, but that didn't bother me. I want it done right, and I felt he did it right. I got a handicap shower, and my wife likes it but she is still afraid to use it. She has medical problems, and she is afraid she's gonna fall because she gets very dizzy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

My husband has wanted a walk-in bathtub for a long time. When we were in another state, he had a whirlpool, and he really loved it and has talked about it ever since. And so, we decided to go ahead with Independent Home. It was the lowest offer and we could handle the one that we got. We also like the rep that came. The installation process was very nice. The installers were efficient, fast, clean and neat. They were very good guys. They told us it would be done in a day, and it was not even half a day to get it in and working.

The only thing with the tub is you never know if you’re pushing the control on it hard enough. It doesn’t feel like a button to push. I don’t like that. I don’t know if we just aren’t used to it enough yet to get them to do what we are thinking they should do. But I was glad when I called back that they took the time and sent somebody out to let us see the things that we were not aware of. We didn’t understand the motor coming on after to drive the jets out. We were trying to shut it off and didn’t know what we were doing. So, that wasn’t explained. And the manual was not handy. It could have been brought to our attention when they were leaving to go over a few things in that manual so we know where to look for them.

Hi Wanda,

Thanks for your recommendation and for choosing us for your walk-in tub project. We will pass on your kind words to our installation teams in Arizona. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

The Sales Manager, Ari, offered a good deal on an Independent Home new walk-in tub. It had all the features we were seeking such as: inward opening door, water jets, air jets and heated seat. The price was amenable and included life-time warranty on the tub, and installation as well as removal of the existing cast iron tub and its acrylic overlay. The price was all inclusive including labor and taxes. The Installer, Tony, was meticulous and very professional. He worked over ten hours each of the several days he was at the house including a Saturday and Sunday. We are very pleased with the tub and the installation.

Hi John & Virginia,

Thanks for your detailed review and comments about Ari and Tony. We will be sure to pass this on to them. We appreciate you choosing us for your project and hope you enjoy your walk in spa tub for many years. Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I love the walk-in tub from Independent Home. I heard about it a while back. Then I got a letter in the mail and I answered the letter, and they came out and gave me an estimate. I said, go for it. The customer service was outstanding. He gave us a good spiel to tell us about it and what the feature was. I just enjoyed talking with him. And the people that installed it were very knowledgeable and willing to help us any way they could. It was a good experience all the way. There’s only one thing that I don’t like about it. After a period of time, the water doesn’t stay warm. It gets cold. But that’s the only thing I have against it. Other than that, my wife and I love it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

A lady from Independent Home called, and then the man came out and talked to us. Everything went well with the buying process and the installers took about a day and a half to come out and install the tub. We were fully satisfied with everything that they've done about it.

Independent Home Company Information