4.64/5
Based on 129 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 18, 2018

456 Independent Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have been looking online for different types of bathrooms and someone called from Independent Home and set up an appointment. He came somewhere from Texas over to meet with us. We saw the product and it was very good material that they were going to use so we decided to go with them. The salesman was very nice. He knew about his product and suggested different things. We had to narrow everything down to what we wanted since there were many ways that it could have been done.

I decided against a walk-in bathtub. We would have to wait for the door to be open and sit there and wait for the water to fill then wait two minutes for it to drain which was not gonna work for us so we did the shower that was only about 1-1/2-inch step-in. Also, we installed a tall toilet and then a bench with several grab bars.

The people who came and did the installation did excellent work. Everything came in and they installed the shower in one day. They repositioned the showerhead to where the water could be turned on and off by someone sitting on the bench. And then, a hand-held showerhead that some part of it could be taken apart and then used just as a hand-held. It could also be put back up at the top and it could come out from the front up to the top of the shower. I would recommend Independent Home. I would tell others that it's a very good product and that they will stand behind their product.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We needed a walk-in tub for my wife and my neighbor recommended Independent Home. She couldn't get in and out of that old bathtub we have. We have a shower in the garage and it wasn't convenient for her to go out in the garage all the time and take a shower so I decided it's time to get her a walk-in tub and replace that old bathtub that we had. The sales rep was very cooperative. The price was a little higher than I thought, but we needed it. I'm with USAA and I have my credit card with them and all my insurance. He was very familiar with USAA and explained it clearly on the phone so, when we picked this one it's charged on my credit card. That's unusual and he was helpful on that. His knowledge of the product seems to be quite well and he understood it. He also told me a lot of the stuff that I didn't know about, all the competitors and what have you.

The installation went very well. The installer and his son did it in a day. They got here early and they stayed late but got it all wrapped up. They were very efficient and cleaned up. He showed me how to use the walk-in tub and I was very pleased with them. In fact, my neighbor told me if we do business with them to make sure to have him to come because he's excellent. My wife likes the walk-in bathtub because it's a lot better than that shower. I'm very pleased with Independent Home and I'd tell friends to call them.

Independent Home response

Thank you for sharing your experience! We work hard to provide the best customer service and quality Walk-In Tub solutions.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 16, 2018

If you want a walk-in tub, Independent Home will give what you ask for. We got something like a mini sit-down hot tub. It had the size and the features that we wanted. The salesman, who was like an oversized Mr. Clean was great. We liked his personality and the way he explained things. He was professional, and he was also cheerful. Meanwhile, the team they sent out was fantastic. They were fast and courteous and they explained everything they did. They were very communicative and good at their job.

Independent Home response

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with Independent Home. We are happy to hear it! Have a great day!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 15, 2018

I called Independent Home and they were interested coming to my place as I live out in the country. The dealer came out, measured and talked to me about cost and any other problems I might have with our water system. He did a good job. I selected a walk-in tub for its size. It would fit my bathroom. The installation went well. It was fast and the installers cleaned up after themselves too. They were very polite as well. I’m very satisfied with my experience with Independent Home. I enjoy the tub and I feel safe when I get in the shower. Independent Home was the best for my circumstance.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 13, 2018

The salesman from Independent Home was the first of many that showed up. He was a fast-talker salesman like most of them but he made me a better deal than anybody else. Like any salesman, he wouldn’t take no for an answer and that he’d give me the best deal but it was costly. American Standard came two days later and they had a much better tub but it was $4000 or $5000 more money. The Independent salesman only showed me one model of the tub which was the one I got. A couple of guys came and worked all day and installed the tub. They made a mess and cleaned up 90% of it but they didn’t get all the dust. They were focused on their job. But I would tell a friend asking that Independent Home is not the highest quality one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: May 12, 2018

I spoke to 3 companies before choosing Independent Home. I am so glad I found them. As the manufacturer they are able to offer a much lower price and faster install. They also offer lifetime warranty on products AND labor. A big relief not to worry about who to call or what a repair will cost. Walk in tub and higher toilet will be installed this week. Can't wait.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I did some research, went to different places, and read about Independent Home. I went out and tried to find out what the prices were. Independent’s price and reputation were the factors that made me choose them. Also, they said they had a discount for vets. The salesman who came was very pleasant, very professional and thorough. Also, he made me feel at ease that I was making a good decision. He guided me in a nice way and I appreciated his help too. The rep recommended a tub model as I’m 6’ 2” and a good size. He also wanted to make sure the walk-in tub was big enough for my comfort and how it would fit in the house. He took a number of different factors and shared with me what he thought would work best for me.

The installation team was very thorough and very tidy. I have an older house and the plumbing was up to standard and they didn’t have any problems doing it. The tub looks good in the house so I’m very pleased. I’m very satisfied and very happy with the walk-in tub I purchased. The rep checked the size of my water tank but the only deal was that the people who lived before me must have had the tank turned down to its lowest temperature possible, and so my walk-in tub would not fill up with enough warm water. I had to go in and readjust the temperature deal on the hot water heater. Now, it works great for me with the amount of water I need to have in there.

Also, I was surprised by how well the bubbling part works. I thought I had to have the jet streams too because that’s what hot tubs have. But I could’ve done without it because the bubbling is very forceful and very thorough with all the movement of the water. I’m turning 66 in a couple of days and I figured the walk-in tub will be one thing that’ll help me stay in my house a little longer. So it’s been a nice addition so far. If someone is ready to make a purchase, the people from Independent Home will work with you and make it happen for you. You won’t have second thoughts going through the process.

Independent Home response

Thank you for the nice review. Glad to hear the Walk-In Tub is working well for you!

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 11, 2018

I was on the computer looking at different websites about walk-in tubs. It automatically notified everybody in the world that I looked and I started getting a bunch of calls. I let two bathtub companies give me a bid but Independent Home was the most polite and was not high pressure. I got a lot of people on the phone that were very rude, asked a whole lot of personal questions that they had no business asking and that was not the case with Independent Home. So, it made a difference. The representative who came to my home was very knowledgeable. And the installers did what they said they were going to do. They were knowledgeable too and did a very nice and clean job. We have already recommended Independent Home.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 10, 2018

I love my tub and I like everything about it except the seat because it's so uncomfortable. I had to put a towel on the seat or it hurts my bottom. My son loves the tub, too, but he was also disappointed with the seat. During the installation, I didn't notice that the installers removed about a 4-6 inches of the baseboard between the tub and the door. They did not replace that molding and I did not notice for about three weeks. Still, the couple of installers who were here were wonderful. Overall, I'm really satisfied with the tub and I would tell my friends that Independent Home has been wonderful.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My wife was laid out for about a month or two with bad back, and she was on the internet most of the time. She got Independent Home and the salesman who came by was nice. He was from Texas and he gave me a price to take the old one out and put the new one in and a new floor for $13,000. The installation team came over one afternoon, pulled the old tub out, and came back the next morning and installed the new set. They were here about a day and a half, and they were through. The quality of work done was good and I watched them as they went along. I got a walk-in shower with sliding glass doors with the seat on one end. We just got the hose one on the front so when you're sitting on a stool, you can turn the water on and off right there and you don't have to get up. I had a shower tub and you had to step over, and I'm a disabled veteran and I got a bad hip. It hurts me to raise my leg up real high. Now, it's easier to get in and out.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My husband saw Independent Home's ad and I had been telling him I wanted a tub. The gentleman that sold it came in, talked to me and I liked everything he said. We just simply listened to what he had to say. I generally pray about everything before I buy it but I felt good and I had my husband purchased it. The price went up as you went up to other things too. This one has the aromatherapy dispenser and they gave me an extra grab bar and it has of course, the shower thing on it. They also extended the lifetime warranty to be transferable. The whole thing was smooth as it could be. We ordered it, they said it’ll be here in such a time, then they were here exactly that time. It took them a little bit longer because my husband changed their plan a bit but they were flexible.

The installers were great. One man did most of it but of course, he couldn’t carry it in by himself and thank God, they got through my bathroom door. We had it widened when we remodelled so they got the whole thing through the door without making any holes in the walls. The man started putting it back against the wall and just at that time, my husband walked in. He said, “Wait a minute. What are you doing?” He said, “We’re installing it against the wall.” My husband said, “No. I want it out here where the old tub was” and so they manufactured an enclosure around the whole thing and put the tub where my husband wanted it.

I have a great, little ledge beside the tub and it looks great. I sit in the tub almost every night. One of the things we like about it was the air. The jets are simply air. They’re not recycled and the water is not going through it. It’s only air. And then about 15 minutes after you get out, it blows air through all of them again for about a minute to keep the mechanism all dry and good. It’s very relaxing and I sit in it almost every night. While I’m sitting there with all the air jets going at the highest rate, I do my praying and my talking to God and I’m good.

Independent Home Customer Care Team

Original review: May 7, 2018

Independent Home has the biggest tub so I called them up and I purchased a walk-in tub. The experience was very pleasant. As a matter of fact, I have the salesman come by again to put in a walk-in shower for me.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Independent Home salesman came and explained everything, then I decided to purchase a tub from them. Their process was easy because we cleaned a lot of stuff up and we’re pleased with what we had. The installer was a lady who did it by herself and she was excellent. We recommended Independent Home. In fact, the one we recommended said they were gonna get one.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Independent Home initially gave me an astronomically high price to redo my bathroom which would have included the tub and I just ended up buying the step-in tub because of the installer. I really liked him that I wanted him to install any tub regardless of which company I got it from. He was just down to earth and honest. He came into the house and explained a lot of things about the tub. He knew what he was talking about and didn't oversell anything.

I’ve used the tub twice. The problem is I’ve got a forty-gallon hot water tank and it ain't gonna help do the job. I’ve got to get another hot water tank. But since we don't use the tub during summertime, we have about three months that we'll be using this tub again and by that time, I’ll have a bigger hot water tank. Still, I would recommend Independent Home.

Original review: May 5, 2018

We are super happy with Independent Homes' walk in tub. I’m 80 and my wife’s 75. We saw an ad about it and we knew we would enjoy the spa part of it. In addition, our regular tub has a lever that goes down and locks it and it's becoming very difficult for my wife getting in and out of it. We got a walk-in tub from Independent Homes and their installers were first class. I was concerned about the installation process, but they were so careful with everything, knew exactly what they were doing and everything was smooth. They were as polite as they can be and very professional.

I was interested in the process of putting the tub in so I was there. They’d go ripping our bathtub out and putting that big thing in and getting it upstairs. It was on our second floor. They reinforced the rafters up there before putting it. They also put in a new hot water heater boiler. Putting something that major up on the second floor, everything was smooth as silk. I couldn’t have asked for better people to work with and around.

The tub is very nice and very expensive, too. It is very large and it has all the bells and whistles. It puts a little aroma stuff on the thing and it has all kinds of water pressure. I love the spa part. I can get in, fill that thing up and I’d crank the temperature up on our hot water heater. At our age and to continue to live in our house, we need something like that. Instead of getting in a regular bathtub, we can raise our step from bust to bust. This is a step in so, we walk through the door and sit down. We also got a big thing of Epsom salts up there. We dump that in, and it’s like going to a spa. I’ve recommended Independent Homes to other people. If you’re somebody my age, you need to get one.

Original review: May 4, 2018

A really nice man from Independent Home came to the house and explained the tub to me, how it worked and how quickly the tub could be set up for me. It was real quick too. It wasn’t more than two weeks and the tub was in. For the installation, there was a young man but the one that was in charge had a drinking problem. I recognized it as soon as he came in. I could smell it and I hated the smell on him. He was constantly going out and he would stay there for five minutes then coming back in. I could tell that he'd had a drink. But he was nice. I’ve got a little dog and he played with the little dog. I knew that the man was harmless. I was pleased with my tub and the installation. Independent Home is nice as can be.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I looked at different walk-in tubs online and we got a telephone call from someone at Independent Home. We were asked if we were interested in looking into it and so they set up an appointment. It was easy to purchase the tub from Independent Home. They set up a financing plan for us because we told them that we could not do it any other way. Two young women came and installed the tub. They were very good, very efficient, very professional and very pleasant. My husband has fallen a number of times getting in and out of the shower so the tub is safer. And the health benefits, the massaging is very good. My husband feels better since he used the tub. I would recommend Independent Home.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My wife was having difficulty stepping out over our bathtub. We then bought a walk-in tub from Independent Home. Our rep was thorough and we were satisfied with his input. He explained everything and told us what to expect. However, the installation was a little noisy, but I expected that. The installers also left the place like they found it. The tub is more expensive than we expected, but, in any case, it is okay. My wife is enjoying it and it is easier for her to get in and out of it.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have been enjoying my Independent Home walk-in tub very much. I’m 81 years old and I figured I’m gonna need a walk-in tub eventually so I got one. Independent Home was the first one I talked to and the amount frightened me away at first because I am on a fixed income. Anyway, they kept reducing it, so I finally agreed.

The installation team that came was friendly and very cooperative. They fixed things the way that I wanted them to; to remove my shower door and a couple of other things without damaging them so that I could donate them to the Harvey Recovery. And the team was very, very accomplished at the work that they do. They did an excellent job. The only thing is that they do not have wood doors to go indoors anymore. But I was hoping they could have gotten at least a wood-colored door, a natural wood color, because everything else in my house is natural wood. Also, they had to cut off my carpet at the bottom to put the white thing across the floor at the bottom. And they left it a little bit on the ragged side. It isn’t cut down good. But it isn’t too bad. So, I was satisfied with the experience overall.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My experience with Independent Home was great. I was looking for the custom built-ins in tubs and Independent Home offered it. The rep showed me several kinds of the tubs and he did a very good job. I ended up with a step-in and it was nice. The installation team did a good job too but I'm concerned on the surround that they put around the tub. I was given the impression there was gonna be fiberglass or tile and it wasn't either one. It was just a piece of painted board.

I was charged with a downpayment, which was no problem. And then we arrived on the price, which was no problem either. But when they signed the credit, which was Synchrony Bank, I was a little bit concerned. A couple of days ago, I got my first statement. They financed it but I hadn't even been given a bill yet and I've already been charged $29 for opening the account which was a bit ridiculous. I would recommend them to a friend but there is some small things that they need to work out.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Independent Home was the first one I called, so I went with them. Their sales rep was real good and I didn't have any trouble with them. I use the tub occasionally and it's quality is okay.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My wife has been wanting a walk-in tub for years. Independent Home called and said somebody would come out and survey the situation and give us information on the tub, but he got sick and didn’t make it. The next week, he was all right and he came out and made the presentation, and we purchased the tub. Our experience with the installation of the tub was wonderful. It took the better part of two days, but the installers, Scott and Jeff, did a fantastic job putting the tub in.

There’s a big window beside the tub and the walk-in tub actually comes up about a foot above the bottom of the window. But Jeff built a shelf over there and he put a skirt down so that when you look from the outside, you just see white if the blinds are up. But when he put that tub in there, I told him that I wanna be able to stand on it. When I got back in there, he was sitting on it. My wife has been in the tub and I've been in it once. For the amount of hot water that it holds, our hot water heater was not sufficient, but it was 20 years old anyway, so I’ve had two 50-gallon hot water heaters put in.

Original review: April 30, 2018

When the tub I had got a crack in it, I decided to get a walk-in bathtub from Independent Home because my mother and my husband got bad backs so it’d be easy for them to get in and out. The installation experience was okay. I like that the tub's handle and sitting are much better than having a bath chair and putting up bars and stuff. I would recommend Independent Home.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I'm a retired VA and diabetic. I have heard of American Home through my brother. Their reps are great and the installation was also good. The tub is outstanding. Everyone should have Independent Home.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The Independent Home rep came into my home and we talked. I’ve never had anybody else come in nor have I even ever looked into one before but I wanted to do something different to my bathroom and I just went along and decided to go for it. I have to get used to it though. The amount of room in it for showering seems smaller. However, it seems nice when you get in there and have the jets going. I hope that I am really happy with it in the future because I didn’t know whether to put that in or just a regular tub. On the other hand I have lower back and hip problems so I thought it might be very good for that.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Independent Home's seller was good and explained everything very well. Then the installers came and did a good job. They just worked right away and got the job done. Overall, it was a good experience. I'm surprised that I spent that much money on a walk-in tub, though.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I had been thinking about getting something done to my bathtub and the installation experience I had with Independent Home was very pleasant. Their installers came a day early, which was nice for me. They called and asked to do it that day and they worked very hard and didn’t make a lunch break. They just worked until it was finished. The tub is in the guest room and it's mostly for a company who comes frequently and has a lot of problems with his legs.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I've been thinking about getting a walk-in bathtub because my wife can't get around very well. Independent Home called me, came by, and I decided to get one from them. The tub is good quality and I like it. Also, their sales reps and installer were very good.

Original review: April 27, 2018

A representative from Independent Home called me and said they’d like to come and give me an estimate. He came to my house and looked at the area over and told me what they could do. He was very good, very nice and I like him. The installation team was a man and his son and they were very nice people too. They did a good, clean job. They also explained it all to me very well. The walk-in tub is fine and I love it, but the installer was supposed to put a cabinet in the bathroom so that it would all match out. I felt like the guy lied when he said he’d ordered that other part but they never came. I held it out and didn’t pay for it.

So, I called and said the project wasn’t finished, the rep who I first spoke to got on it. But then the people weren’t nice so I thought I’m just gonna forget it. They said they were gonna really take care of it. Now, it’s been over five weeks. I'm done and even if they come, I’d tell them I don’t want it. That’s how ornery I feel. And I didn’t have a good experience with the head guy. He was kinda snotty on the phone. I wouldn’t call Independent Home for the third time. When I did the second time, whoever I talked to was very grouchy and crabby with me. If a friend wants the tub and not anything else, Independent Home is good because they had that done and left. I thought that they’d be back and finish the rest but that’s not the way it happened.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My husband is disabled and I wanted something for him to use. Lowe's had some sheets about walk-in bathtubs and I took one home because they didn't have what I wanted there. I also considered the Standard brand but they added on a couple of thousand dollars and wouldn't give me the brass finish that I wanted. Then, Independent Home's rep said they could do it so I went with them. They also installed some shelves in the tub and I didn't need as many as they put in but it was fine that I have them. They put in the collapsible seat, too, plus they gave me really nice doors. Then I wanted all of that in a kind of brassy black color and they did it all. They edged it in a wood kind of edging, too, and it's really nice.

When the installer was here, he was so polite and wonderful. I can't say enough about him. He told me he was gonna have to come back because he travels around from Arizona and goes to different places. And he was back within a week with the chair. Then, he mounted it to the tub and that was exactly what I wanted. He also told me that if I got a regular tub enclosure at Lowe's or at Home Depot, they'd only have one coating. But this one has three, so, I thought that's a good deal. I would tell my friends to go with Independent Home if they can afford the cost, which was a little bit pricey. But I went over and saw my neighbor's, and it's nothing like mine. He paid $3000 for his and I paid more, but I got what wanted.

Independent Home expert review by Shelley Webb

Independent Home has been a manufacturer of walk-in bathtubs and showers since 2002. The company was started with the simple mission of helping people have a safe, enjoyable bathing experience without being inhibited by mobility problems.

• Walk-in tub standard features: Walk-in tubs from Independent Homes come with standard features that include a low 5-inch step-in, a built-in safety grab bar, a soft touch electronic control panel, textured seats and floors, aerotherapy and hydrotherapy spa systems and more.

• Draining: Select tubs are equipped with a cable-operated 2-inch fast drain system and a pump-operated speed drain. These tubs can be drained in 90-120 seconds.

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs: Independent Home’s wheelchair-accessible bathtubs have outward-swinging doors that open 37.5 inches. The tub’s chair is 21 inches high to allow for easier access from a wheelchair.

• Specialty tubs: Independent Home offers specialty tubs like bariatric models, compact walk-in tubs, models with attached lifts and walk-in showers.

• Customer support: Independent Homes offers customer support through email, online chat and over the phone. You can call or email them for a free estimate.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility and senior citizens who want to maintain independent lifestyles.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Independent Home Company Information