2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.69/5

Independent Home manufactures and sells a variety of walk-in tub and shower models. Its product line includes soaker, whirlpool, wheelchair-accessible and bariatric walk-in tubs. The company offers a lifetime warranty on all its products. It requires an in-home consultation to determine the price of your walk-in tub.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

Independent Home offers several walk-in bathtubs, including wheelchair-accessible options. The company offers many tub sizes, including bariatric models. Get an in-home consultation for a quote.

PROS

• Wheelchair-accessible tubs
  • Bariatric models available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Various customizable models

CONS

• Capacity may affect water heater
  • No online pricing

Top Independent Home Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

I love my walk-in tub. My only regret is I didn't get it sooner. Salesman was great and very nice. He actually listened to my needs and didn't push anything on me. The installers were very polite and had it installed in one day. They even cleaned up after themselves. Very impressed.

We called Independent Home and they came out and they discussed the product with us. ... The installation was wonderful. The crew came about 8:30 and they were finished with the job... before 1:00. They cleaned up everything that they had messed up and I was satisfied. I absolutely love our tub.

Independent Home Get Started

Independent Home models

Independent Home makes eight different walk-in tub models. Each comes equipped with many standard features, including fast-fill faucets and speed drains. Higher-end models include luxury features such as air or whirlpool hydrotherapy, dual massage jets and color-soothing chromotherapy.

The company also makes walk-in shower options for places where a tub might not be the right fit due to customer preference or bathroom size limitations.

Independent Home’s walk-in tub models include a deep-soak walk-in tub with optional massage jets, a structurally upgraded acrylic model and a wheelchair-accessible tub. All Independent Home shower and tub seats are ADA-compliant, making for a safer and more comfortable shower or bath experience.

The company’s walk-in tubs vary by features including the number of jets, the size of the tub and hydrotherapy options. Several models are designed for specific needs:

• The Access is a wheelchair-accessible model that helps those in wheelchairs safely get in and out of the bathtub.
  • The Royal is designed for larger individuals and has a power-controlled seat for lifting and lowering a person into the bath.
  • The Cube is a compact walk-in bathtub designed to fit into an existing shower stall space.

Standard features of Independent Home walk-in tubs

All Independent Home walk-in tubs and showers come with multiple standard features. In addition to industry-wide features, such as a low step-in threshold and a wide door, Independent Home walk-in tubs offer relaxing components that help to invigorate and gently massage your body during a shower or bath.

Independent Home walk-in tub installation

Independent Home provides certified installers to install your walk-in tub. These installers come from multiple trades, including plumbing, electrical, demolition and finish work. Installation specialists are experts in this field and usually average well over 500 installations completed.

Independent Home holds its technicians to strict standards. Each representative explains how to use the tub after they install it, and each customer signs a completion certificate stating they’re satisfied with the work.

Every walk-in tub is tested during construction with checkpoints that guarantee the quality of the electrical components and integrity of the watertight seal. As a factory-direct company, Independent Home adheres to a standard of single-source accountability for sales, installation and service.

It usually takes one day to complete the installation. All Independent Home walk-in tubs are turnkey solutions designed to replace existing bathtubs.

Independent Home walk-in tub cost and financing

The cost of an Independent Home walk-in tub ranges widely (installation is included), but it varies by the model you choose and any add-ons or upgrades you select. Adding options like hydrotherapy increases price. Independent Home suggests calling to receive a free, customized quote for your walk-in tub or shower.

The company suggests having a specialist perform a free in-home estimate before purchasing a tub. The specialist measures your current bathroom and explains what’s required to install an Independent Home walk-in tub in your space. Having a technician inspect your bathroom lets the company give you the most accurate quote possible.

The company provides a $1,500-off installation coupon on its website, and financing is available to qualified buyers. If you’re a veteran with a disability, you may be able to subsidize a bathroom remodeling project with a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) grant.

Independent Home FAQ

What type of warranty does Independent Home offer?
Independent Home backs its tubs with a lifetime warranty. You’re fully covered for all components of your tub.
What are Independent Home’s walk-in tub dimensions?
Independent Home walk-in tub sizes vary by model. They range from 33 by 35 inches to 26 to 26 inches, with several other measurement options between. All the company’s walk-in tubs are designed to fit inside an existing space for a standard tub. Its website suggests calling to find out more about specific sizing.
Where can I buy an Independent Home walk-in tub?
There are Independent Home walk-in tub locations in all 50 states and in Washington, D.C. You can connect with a local specialist through the company’s website. Independent Home manufactures its tubs at its headquarters on Long Island, New York. After meeting with a specialist, it usually takes between 10 and 14 days to order, build, ship and install your new walk-in tub.

Do we recommend Independent Home walk-in tubs?

Although the final price can only be determined after an in-home estimate, Independent Home guarantees quotes for a year and includes installation in the tub price. The company’s ADA-compliant tubs come in a variety of sizes and styles to fit different needs. According to Independent Home walk-in tub reviews, many customers enjoy their tubs and are pleased with the installation process.

Independent Home Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: March 16, 2021

I can step into the walk-in tub from Independent Home and sit down and I like the therapy. I like those little air jets. It’s like getting a massage with water. I lay in there and I thank God for the decision I've made to go ahead and pull the trigger on getting it. At first, I thought I wasn’t gonna be able to get it in there because the guy said the tub wouldn't fit. They had said they were gonna have to enlarge my door. But when he got here and looked at it, he said that he could put the tub in if he could cut a space big enough for it in the living room and slide it through there and then replace the drywall once he got in. By doing that, it saved me another $300. He didn’t charge me the $300 for having to replace the door and put a bigger doorway in.

They clean up very well. ​I can tell where they've made that cut in the wall, but it doesn’t bother me. I just hope that it doesn't be a problem if I ever decide to resell. Also, the walk-in tub may be a setback as far as a family with children is concerned if they are among the buyers because they probably won't want a walk-in tub. But somebody might come through that wanna buy it in the same situation I am, single and just want a good tub to relax in.

The only complaint I have is that the tub isn't long enough for me to lay down in without folding my legs. I’m 6’3” so I have to have a much bigger bathroom to get one in long enough. I also doubt if they even make them that long. But I’d highly recommend it to people over 50 years old that are still active and like to do a lot of walking, even younger people. If you have an active workout regime, your muscles do feel very tired and aching, and having the walk-in tub is like a miracle to your muscles. You’ll relax so well.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I had both knees replaced and to take a regular bath was really difficult. It was dangerous to get up and out of a regular tub. I hadn't talked to my husband very much about getting a walk-in tub until we were contacted by phone. I told him that I really would enjoy that type of a bath. I have fibromyalgia and I take medication for that. By the end of the afternoon, sometimes, I have a lot of aches and pains. The thought of being able to relax in a warm tub in the evening sounded so wonderful to me.

When Independent Home called, the lady asked if they could send over a person to talk to me about the tub. I wanted to know about how much it would cost and if they could put one in where our regular tub was. The salesperson answered all of our questions. It didn't feel like we were talking to a salesperson. The first thing he did was measure our doorframe to see if it could go in, and it could. We found out that we could afford it. We're not going on cruises right now so we have some money that we could spend other ways.

I've taken one shower since we had it put in. During the first part of October, it's been the baths. We wanted to know if it was costing us more water usage. We compared October to September water usage and the cost difference was 40 cents. I was taking baths as often as I was taking showers so for 40 cents difference, it was very nice. I love my Independent Home walk-in bathtub. It has helped and it's very relaxing. I have problems with going to sleep and we've learned that that helps if I take a bath in there before I go to bed.

The second time I used it, I had remembered that I had some bubble bath that was out. I had never used bubble baths and thought it would be nice to get some bubbles. So, I poured some in and turned those jets on. But I wasn't real familiar with the tub and the bubbles kept getting bigger and bigger and I couldn't find the button to shut the jets off because it was hidden by all the bubbles. I yelled for my husband to come. Luckily, he was up. He came and I was up to my chin in bubbles and it was almost overflowing the bathtub. That's a warning to be very familiar with the tub and know how much bubble bath you should use. Now, I'm very conservative with how much I put in.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

The team did a good job of getting the tub in. That was amazing. The bathroom was a very small area. They cut a part of the wall out and they were able to get in. I had painters come in and redo everything. They sanded it down and painted the whole bathroom afterwards. You wouldn't even know a wall had been cut. The guy that did the installation knew what he was doing. His helper made several mistakes but he did a good job putting it all back together. The pocket door works perfectly.

They had a hard time connecting the drain pipe down into the drain that goes out to the septic system. We haven't tried it yet and we hope it works. It leaked in the beginning when he first did it through the ceiling in the basement. But we figured that was because he was trying to get it done. He told me about that. We went down there and I got to replace one tile which is not a big deal. But I still don't know when we go to turn the power. It sucks the water out fast. I don't know where it's gonna go through and cause a problem with the hose.

The only thing I had any kind of concern about is the caulking along the edges and along the tub itself got a little bit sloppy. I called their office and told them I didn't like the silicone caulk that goes around the bathtub. He got it on the tub itself but I don't blame him. He was here 12 hours to put in a small little tub so it was tough. Towards the end, I know he was getting tired. He had to go back and take care of the errors that his helper had done. His helper was a nice older guy but he obviously has not been a real carpenter and doesn't recognize how things go back together.

We had it painted since then and it looks nice. However, when we tried to paint, there was caulk in areas we couldn't get to and some of it was on the floor. I don't know how they're gonna fix the caulking. I've already called in but Independent Home has not returned the call back to me. It was a week ago. I am dissatisfied with the fact that I called their office and told them we had a problem but I haven't heard back from anybody.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I lost my leg a couple of years ago and we needed to get a tub that was stable enough for me to get in and out of with one leg because I might lose the other one too. So I started looking on Facebook and we called Safe Step but they wanted quite a bit of money. And Medicare really don't help people like me that have prosthetics. So, we couldn't afford them. I started looking more and I set up an appointment with Independent Home. Their sales rep came out and was telling me what the price would be. His name was Patrick and he was very nice and very informative. He told us to call him if we had questions or anything. We've called him several times and he called us right back. I also liked the way he presented the tub and how he was so professional. He was very helpful to us because we did have questions, so we really enjoyed meeting him.

Aside from that, there's a lifetime warranty on the tub. Plus, we knew we'd be moving and when I asked him what was going to happen with my tub if I have to move, he said they will move it for free and reinstall it wherever I go. So because of that and the price, we went with them. Their rep came out with the paperwork while they were installing the tub. My husband and I filled all that out, and they weren't pressuring us about this or that as far as price. And they worked with us really well about getting the old tub out and getting the new one in. So, it was a good experience all around. So far, everybody wants to come in and see my tub and I've recommended it to five people who have all been at my house. One of our friends also wants to come and see it. She's at the beach right now but I have told her all about it and I gave her Patrick's number. When she gets back, she intends on calling him.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

We found a few models of the walk-in shower and all kinds of prospectus on them, and decided that Independent Home would fit our needs the best, realizing that it is not that much different from many that we had looked at. However, its price was somewhat more reasonable than others had been, even though we felt it was expensive, but it was something that our time and physical abilities in our lives that we needed something that was a more accessible than the step-in tub that we had.

The sales representative came out, looked over the situation and we discussed the aspects of it. We went ahead and did it, and then scheduled an installation date and time. The installation crew came and proceeded to do it. They had a problem that they couldn't solve the first day so they had to come back the second day to actually do the installation. But they did it fairly efficiently, and cleaned up very well and left everything in a nice workable and livable condition without too much disturbance. It was an excellent experience.

The showerhead comes up on its rod just fine for pipes and so forth, but it would be nice if its handle was a little longer so that it came further out from the wall over the tub. When you use the shower head, it splashes back against the wall and the controls up against the front end of the tub there. It's hard to get under the shower. It doesn't come out far enough. It's partly due to the shower configuration. But we had somewhat of a problem with the splash from the shower over the shelf. It's the back edge of the tub that had to be filled in with a shelf between there and the wall behind it simply because of the configuration of the bathroom.

We get water over on the back side of the tub fixture and the tub installation. And then you have to sop up quite a bit of water back there. We've tried to rig some kind of a shower curtain on the backside as well. I realized that in some installations there's not a problem there, but in ours there is about a foot wide shelf across between or the side of the tub and the back wall of the bathroom. I'm trying to rig up an additional shower curtain to go on that side of it, so it has a shower curtain on both sides of the tub.

Original review: April 5, 2021

We took delivery of our walk-in bathtub on Friday and we love it! A big thank you to Mark **, the salesman, who came to our home to measure, and to go over everything. A special thank you the Installer, Ozzi and his partner, who made the whole installation process go so smoothly. There was no clean-up to do. Our tub was installed in an upstairs bathroom, so not the easiest installation for them, but they were absolutely great.

After installation was complete they asked us to join them upstairs for the big reveal! It was wonderful! They even installed an additional grab bar on the wall, built in shelves at back and sides of tub, finished with skirting board at bottom of tub and around the wall, installed new electrical outlet to replace the one that was there, used all new drain parts. All of our questions were answered and Ozzi demonstrated the workings of the tub, we couldn't be more impressed and happy with the finished product. Thank you Independent Home!!

Original review: April 1, 2021

We bought the tub for my mother but because it is a walk in tub you have to get in before it is filled, then wait till it fills, and that can be cold. It is a long wait till it is filled up. Not the company's fault. Just a part we don't like.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Independent Home needs to step up. They're giving us the runaround. It wasn't two weeks after they left that the handle they put on our tub screwed up. It quit holding the door tight. I had one man install it and he put some more putty in a hole that he thought would make the handle tighten up. He then said he was going to order me one. I waited and waited but I never got it. I called Independent Home and a woman told me she would order the handle and send it to me. She said when I get it, I should call them, and then she would set up a time for one of the workers to come in and install it. I haven't received it yet.

I thought my tub had a lifetime warranty on it. I was pleased until I found that they don't come through with what they claim they have. When I pay $11,500 cash for something, it's not funny when the seller doesn't come through. Other than that, I like having a walk-in tub because I can get my husband who has Parkinson's and dementia in the tub, wash his hair, and give him a bath. I like getting in the tub late at night, let the water run, turn on my jets and relax.

Original review: March 15, 2021

The guy who put my tub in checked my water tank and said that it was big enough. But, I'm not getting to use the tub like it's supposed to be used because the tank isn't big enough. I can't fill it up because I don't have enough hot water, even with my water heater working perfectly. I had some plumber come in and I had him put two new units in it, one of which needed to be replaced. With the two new units, it still doesn't put out enough water to fill the tub up. The jets just come up on the water about an inch on the seat. Behind my back, the jets don't work because there's no water there. I'm discouraged with the tub. I love it but I'm disappointed that it's not doing what it's supposed to do.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I was not thrilled with the customer service after the tub has been installed. The installers kind of did a half-assed job and my contractor tried to build around it and fixed everything else around it because it destroyed the way my bathroom was designed. Then, once we finally got hold of the installer, we could tell he wasn't interested in having to take care of me because he's from Orlando and I'm on the other side of Florida. Also, the tub uses more water than what my hot water heater carries, which they should have known. And when we drain it, I get rust floating in the bottom of the tub. I had been trying to find an answer for it. Independent Home just disappeared.

Independent Home Company Information