4.58/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Independent Home is America's Leader in Affordable Walk-In Tubs. Our mission is to help seniors and the disabled bathe safely and comfortably in their own home. With over 10 different models and sizes, we can meet the specific needs of any bathroom application. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.

Independent Home Video
Independent Home Gallery (1)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

358 Independent Home Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: May 27, 2017

Independent Home's walk-in tub was made in the USA so I chose to buy from them. The sales rep was very nice. However, I'm having a little problem with the drain that when I turn it to close it and put water in it, it seems that it does not want to go down. Other than that, I'm happy with my walk-in tub.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I am disabled and can’t get in and out of a bathtub. I went on the computer and I liked what I saw so I called Independent Home. The installers did what they were supposed to do. They made the walk-in bathtub look nice up in the bathroom and cleaned up after themselves. I've talked to some of my friends that are seniors like I am about the tub and I would recommend them to friends.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I kept complaining to my husband that the step in our walk-in tub was too high. So he found out about Independent Home's Walk-in Bathtubs. They came out and gave us an estimate. When the gentleman came, I told him that the old step was too high and he agreed with me. I had an accident before so I don’t have the total ability to step up a little higher to get in and out of the tub. But now it's much easier to step into the tub and I also enjoyed it. The guys that installed the bathtub were good, kind and considerate.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Independent Home had a tub dimension I wanted. It's the smallest one they make. We had a huge 80-gallon bathtub. We never used it since it was hard to get in and out of and it created water shortage when you fill it. I wanted to get rid of that. I ended up with the jacuzzi. The walk-in tub was a secondary thing. My wife has some arthritis in her back and didn't like leaning over to put her makeup on and I wanted to create a space to put a sit-down counter for her to put her makeup on. So, I wanted to have a minimum sized walk-in tub.

The tub worked fine and they did an excellent job installation-wise. When we took the tub out, a marble wall panel was created to put around it. It looks excellent. I purchased it directly from Independent Home. I called the factory, made sure they could put the sides and ends on it to accommodate the way I wanted to turn it. I worked directly with the factory. They sent the installer out. The guy was very easy to work with and understood what I wanted to accomplish. He did a good job and cleaned up after they left. And I'm very satisfied with it.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I had my shower changed to a garden style tub. I wanted to get something that I could use to a better experience than a walk-in shower, where I can soak in and bathe. Their two installers were great and they did a good job. They had the old one out and the new one in within three hours. They also took their time to go over everything with me. They made sure I knew how to operate the tub.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Independent Home?

Original review: May 21, 2017

I've been hearing about walk-in bathtubs for years and for me, they were old people bathtubs. I ended up having several back surgeries, a knee and neck surgery. Both my rotator cuffs are shot and I'm getting ready to have those repaired. We have two bathtubs and I kept falling. So, I told my hubby, “I don’t care what it costs. We’re getting one. I am so tired of falling.” I had to get myself one of those “Help! I've fallen I can’t get up” things and put that by the bathroom. I started doing some research with the different companies and Independent Home is the most economical with a good warranty and that’s where we went. My mom and dad who live in Tacoma also purchased a tub. They paid $18,000. When they found out how much I paid for mine, they were livid because they tore up their bathroom floor.

We had a couple of different problems. I’m not going to say that we don’t because we’re human and we caught them and got them corrected by Independent Home. They worked, bent over backwards and helped whichever way that they could and so the problems were taken care of. The tub is working fine. I’m not tripping anymore. We got us a brand new hot water tank with our tub. My folks got a toilet.

One major problem that we caught was they were installing the wrong tub. They didn’t check their paperwork and they had gone to lunch and hubby and I went in and I said, “We’re supposed to have 30 jets. These only have 20. And we’re supposed to have a light kit.” So I called the company because I didn’t have the workers’ phone number. They immediately got back and the guys came in and said, “We are just so sorry.” But they were the ones who had to be sorry because they came in on a Saturday morning at 9:00. They left Saturday night at 10:00. They came back Sunday morning at 9:00 and they left Sunday afternoon at 4:00.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Independent Home's prices and the salesperson who called us were really good and the product seemed to suit our needs. The people we dealt with explained everything. We had a strange bathroom and they still were able to get it in. It was really hard working in the bathroom and the installers had knocked our toilet paper holder off but fixed it.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I'm 72 and my son who is 52. Both of us are getting older and he has trouble getting in and out stepping over the bath tub that we had. So we had been looking at the hot tubs and decided it'd be better to go with a walk-in tub. Besides that, it's all just one person in it. At first, we saw an ad for the same company that had a $1500 and $2000 rebate. But we didn't know about that and that's the time that we went ahead and purchased the air jets. The process with the home dealer was pretty easy because when we decided we were going to get it, we went ahead and went straight to the bank, withdrew the money out and paid him for it.

The installers, a guy and his daughter, were very nice, courteous and answered all my questions at that time. He said that he had one in his home and that they enjoyed it just as much without the water jets. It worked better as far as the massage and making you feel better. Especially on people that have older skin. I was satisfied with the experience when we bought it. But my son is complaining about the handles being loose and the tub dripping a little bit. I need to get that fixed. But when I called the guy who installed it, he didn't call back so I'm a little dissatisfied with that.

Original review: May 15, 2017

We got a call from Independent Home and in fact, they even came out. They talked to us about the walk-in tubs and showed us what they had. I had heard about it before and after talking to them, we went ahead and took it. Then we gave them a time to put it in and the installation team went upstairs, put it in, did a good job and left. The experience had been easy. The tub is 5-inch depth in, with double door seal built-in and has a safety grab bar. I enjoy it and I have no complaints.

Original review: May 14, 2017

The purchasing process was very easy. I checked out three different ones and Independent Home was more of what I wanted. I got the taller 47-inch tub to get higher up on my back and I chose that tub because of injury and health reasons. But, the jets aren't as high up as I wanted them. The team that installed the tub has been good, courteous and were able to answer my questions. However, on an older pier-and-beam home with a high tub, they need to look more at the floor because the tub's a lot of weight. If I had done it again, I'd have extra beam pairs underneath the house because of the amount of water that goes in the tub and the amount of weight that goes. It does put a lot of stress in it and it somewhat sinks down a little bit.

But the product itself is pretty good. Although, the tub only has four feet that go down on the floor and you got several hundred pounds of weight. You got over 800 pounds per 100 gallons or sometimes you'll use 200 gallons of water. So, you've got 1600 pounds on four little legs that go down so there needs to be more reinforcement underneath. Other than that, they were easy to get along with. I'd recommend Independent, but the tub they install needs more support.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I just had surgery on my hip and I wasn’t doing good in a regular shower so I had to have a walk-in bathtub. I’m sorry I bought it because of the cost. And it’s supposed to have a shower holder to hold the shower nozzle up on the wall. They didn’t give me that and I didn’t care for the way they put the trim up. It looks schlocky, but it’s all right. The installers from Independent Home were good but they took a brand-new shower head that I wanted back.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I met a good man who came to the house and explained a whole lot of things about Independent Home. During the installation, it took the installers eight hours to put the walk-in tub in which was good. They knew what they were doing and everything was all right. I'd recommend them to anybody.

Original review: April 25, 2017

Independent Home had a beautiful installation. Their installation team was very good. I feel, though, that I wasn't ready for it. I shouldn't have invested in it. My own shower had a lower threshold than this tub does, and it was easy just to step in and out. My own shower was roomier and I could maneuver better. I get into a fight with the shower curtain every day but it functions well. It's a wonderful product as far as using it for a tub but water is so expensive here in Verde Village. As a matter of fact, after I got the unit, I discovered that my hot water heater was inadequate. So I had to spend an additional amount of money in getting a new hot water heater.

I use it every day as a shower. However, I don't have time anymore to sit and enjoy the tub for a while. I've only filled it once since I've had it. Nonetheless, I would recommend to anybody that wants that kind of installation but the first thing that a person ought to do is to know how many gallons it takes to fill it and if they have a rapid recovery hot water tank that has the capacity to fill the tub. Because on my end, there were still four inches to go to the top of the jet and my hot water was already gone. People should at least check if they would need to get a new hot water tank.

Original review: April 23, 2017

I got online and Independent Home was the first one to call me back. The rep was very friendly and knowledgeable. He's also not too pushy. The installation team was very professional and they did a great job. They cleaned up after themselves as well. I would definitely recommend them. However, we can only fill up our walk-in bathtub below the jets. The hot water tank isn't big enough. We fill it up halfway with hot water, wait an hour and a half and then we climb in over the top.

Original review: April 22, 2017

My contractor gave me Independent Home's phone number and I called them to order the walk-in hot tub. I told them what I needed and they took care of it. However, there was trouble with its arrival. Nobody notified me that it was scheduled for pick-up and it sat around for almost a week waiting for me to go pick it up. What happened was they sent it to my contractor instead of sending it to me. But he didn't see it and I had to do a little work to figure out where it was and how we could pick it up. Then I had my own people install the tub. I like it but it uses hot water like crazy. And if I want to fill the tub, it empties the entire tank. I'll need a 30 or 40-gallon tank. If I had known it was that deep, I wouldn't have gone with it because now I need to have a larger water heater in my house.

Original review: April 12, 2017

The cost of Independent Home bathtub was better for me. That was the reason why I chose them. The one I got has air bubbles but there are no jets in it. The installation was good. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with the strike plate. But they came right out and repaired it.

Original review: April 9, 2017

It was great with Independent Home all the way through. We went with them for our tub because I like the way that the sales was presented and gave me a lot of information. Getting the tub was something that we had thought about, but the sales rep had all the information available and facts about the other companies that was good as far as getting somebody else in for a second or third opinion. We talked about the model that would work for us, and it was everything that I had expected. Our tub's got the shower attachment, which is great. It also has the air bubbler, which works wonderfully. So, it was everything that I've wanted in a tub and I couldn't ask for anything more.

It was all good with the installation team. We were able to do the preset in our garage. It was a cold, nasty winter day when they were here, so that worked out great. The guys jumped right in and took over, and they got the old tub out and the new one in. They worked hard and had everything in and going by the end of the day. There wasn't a wasted moment at all, and by the time they were all done, we were ready to go. The tub has been perfect ever since then.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I had been interested in finding out some information about the walk-in tubs because I'm 74 and I walk with a walker because of back surgery that did not go well. The gentleman from Independent Home called me and wanted to come by about the walk-in tub so my husband and I said yes. He came, explained to us all the pros and cons of this walk-in tub and that because of the jets, it was supposed to be good for us, health-wise. My husband decided that that would be okay, so we bought it and had it installed on the same week in one day. It was really fast and they did a fabulous job of installing it. It was a lot of work and they got it done and it looks great.

My only complaint so far is that the jets are small and they churn up the tub. All that is good but they blow air. I was under the impression that all of them blew out the warm water that fills up your tub but this one just blows air. I thought they were all the same but we never did really get into that because I didn't know that they were different. It is a 5-inch step but it really didn't make much difference. Some of them are a little bit lower but I don't have a problem with that. I just have to be careful of getting in and out and hold on to something. They install grab bars at the right place and so far, it's been really great.

Original review: April 7, 2017

We called Independent Home, then Steve came out and gave us a price. We accepted it, and then he did the installation himself. The installation went a little longer than it should because he was getting hundreds of phone calls that held him up. It took him six days and he said it would take about three to begin with. But he did good work and was very organized. My wife is in bad health and using our tub is very relaxing to her and she enjoys it. I haven't used it yet since I had a plate right on my Achilles tendon, but I'm free to get in the tub now and I'm looking forward to getting in it. Quality is excellent and I'm satisfied with what we’ve paid.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I told Independent Home what we needed and they chose the 2016 Acrylic Deluxe model for us. The guys that came and put it in were nice and professional. They had to make the bathroom door bigger. We had a sunken bathtub and they had to remove that and go down to the basement. They cleaned up and got everything out of the way. I'd rather not have somebody in my house doing things, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was noisy because they had to use saws, but it wasn't a bad experience. They let us know when they were coming and they made it as easy as possible.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I had several companies in mind and Independent Home was one of the top knowledgeable ones, so that was cool. They knew what they were talking about. I'm a contractor so I would know if they were spoofing me or not. They gave me a really honest price right off the bat, and their answers were right. They didn't hem and haw, like some of the other ones were doing. It was great purchasing from an Independent Home dealer. They were very quick and responsive. They had a lot of knowledge in the area of what I wanted and it was pretty easy.

I wanted jets for my tub, but then they explained to me how jets can get filthy, and I'm so glad that I got the bubbles only. That is absolutely wonderful. I got everything that I possibly could, except for the jets, the heated seat, and something else that they don't do, but it was great. I wanted a tub that had the door opening in, and this model looked nice and fit my spot perfectly. They said it would and it did. Furthermore, it offered the extra benefit of having a shower and/or tub. A lot of companies don't offer both, and you have to add on, so this was perfect for me.

The installer came out with his son, and it was great and nice with them. I have to deal with installers all the time, and they were absolutely fabulous. A lot of companies will tell you that they'll put runners down and won't cross across your carpet, because I never wear shoes in my house. These guys put everything down so it was all protected, and they cleaned up and didn't leave a mess. I was impressed with them. I really love my tub and I liked the whole experience. When you run it down and ask other people about their tubs, my tub didn't cost as much as theirs but my tub is better. It is gorgeous.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Independent Home was the cheapest, so we got a tub from them that has air jets and aroma therapy and then when we turn on the jets, we can also punch another button that makes it like waves. The Jet feature is my favorite in fact. Purchasing the tub from the dealer was awesome. The manager gave me the cost and we were building a brand new home but we had some problems with the builder so it took longer to build. I kept updating the manager and he kept saying not to worry. When we finally can move in and put the tub in, I contacted him and I thought the price will change because it had been a while but it didn't. The next day, they came out and put the tub in. It was very quick, and the guys that came out were very knowledgeable and cleaned up after themselves. The tub works great. Overall, our experience was great.

Original review: April 3, 2017

In the beginning, I didn't care who I got the tub from. I called other people for the tub and made two or three appointments and they never showed up. But when I called Independent Home, they actually came out and showed up for the appointment to do an estimate so I went with them. The sales rep from Independent Home was great and nice. He explained everything to me and it worked out good. Then, the installation team was really great and they were all nice. It didn't take them till 12 o'clock at night to finish either. The guy explained everything to me and showed us how everything worked. They were also really neat and they fixed everything they tore up. Also, if anything goes wrong, there's a lifetime warranty on it. I can call him in and he'll have somebody close to come out.

I love the tub. I don't have to worry about picking my right leg up high to get in it and I like the seat and the jets in it. Everything worked out for me and even the shower worked good. They put something up where I could put the shower up and high like a regular shower instead of holding it in my hand and they put some bars up to hold on to. It's neat and I have tried to talk people into getting it.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I got an Independent Home tub because I wanted it for my husband's legs. He hasn't gotten the courage to get in it yet, but the tub goes with the other things in the bathroom. The salesman was real nice when he called. But then I got discouraged about getting the tub. We live way out and I thought it was useless. There wasn't much room in my bathroom, and I thought we might be wasting his time. But he came out and we figured out a way to put it in, and he couldn't have been nicer. The installation team was really nice as well. They came in and the installation was quick. They got here about 8:30 in the morning and were gone by 5:00. They worked real hard and got it done. I would recommend Independent Home. I had a couple of other people who asked if Independent Home could put the tub in their trailer.

Original review: April 1, 2017

We saw Independent Home's ad and we thought we'd give them a call, get an estimate and see what we were looking at. But they sounded so good that we went ahead and signed up with it. What stuck out most was the confidence that their rep John has in the product. He sounded genuine like he had experienced and sat in the tub himself and he knew. Also, the installers were very knowledgeable. They went in and told us they've changed some of our plans, which was fine because they were right. It was a two-day installation and it was exactly what we expected. We had one callback because the tub was leaking a bit and they came back the next day and took care of it right away.

It's a sturdy tub and there's nothing flimsy about it. The hardware is very sleek-looking so I was really thrilled with the whole thing. Independent Home did all the trim and everything looked really nice when they were done. It's also not just a bathtub to somebody who can't take a bath. I'm in a wheelchair and I hadn't had a shower in over five months. We didn't know what we were gonna do. We tried all different kinds of showers and nothing was working out the way we wanted it to. When Independent Home came and talked to us, it was like throwing a lifeline to some drowning people. I love the tub and my roommate loves it. It's awfully expensive, but they made things easy and the tub will certainly bring up the value of the house. It's been a very positive experience all the way around and I'd recommend them to anybody that might want or need one.

Original review: March 29, 2017

The guy from American Standard was supposed to come out here but he called that day and said he didn’t wanna come and that tub would be expensive for us anyways. They didn't even ask us if we wanted it or not. Then right after that, this lady called from Independent Home and she sent a guy out the next day and we bought it. He was real nice. And so we just signed up with him and then we got our tub in a couple of weeks. The tub that we purchased got a shower, hot and cold water and air jets. It's a real nice tub. I really like it. The installation team were great. They did a good job and finished it up so it just looks really nice.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I looked at several different walk-in and specialty tub manufacturers and Independent Home had what I wanted. I had one guy come out to make an estimate. We had tile where the bathtub was and he was gonna rip it out, cut out the ceiling, both ends and the side and put plastic or fiberglass all up there. This guy putting it in said, "No, we don't wanna do that. We could take out about four inches above the tub, bust the tub out and leave the walls. Nice fancy tile up there."

The tub works great. I got no complaints against it other than it takes about 50 gallons. I had to have him come back out to reinstall the stool this morning because he used the old gasket where the stool hooks to the sewer pipe and it was seeping a little water. He came out and put a new beeswax ring in there and I think we got it fixed. Everything's about standard as far as everything. They put handles everywhere we needed them. They did a great job sealing it to the tile walls. No water leaks there. It's got the heated air blowing in there. It works fine.

The guy that came out and put it in from Independent Home was here on time. He didn't tear out my expensive tile walls that I had up there. He did a great job installing it in there, cleaned it up nice, left everything. I told him to leave the stool out there 'cause I was gonna store it. Everything went just like it was supposed to. And I had a good experience with them.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Purchasing the tub and having it installed was not difficult, but using it is not as delightful as I had hoped. As soon as I had it installed, I needed to have a new drain line put in so that it would drain rapidly enough. And my hot water heater is not large enough to fill the tub completely. It’s been a little bit of a disappointment and these things should be gone over when discussing purchasing the item. I realized that my hot water tank and my drain lines are not connected, that it’s not part of the tub installation, but it's something that Independent Home should talk to the customer about.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I searched the web about tubs because my husband's in a wheelchair. The other tubs open inward, and he needed one that opens outward. He's a large gentleman and the tub from Independent Home is the perfect product for him. We love our tub. We've had two of them, so far. Now, we're moving into another condominium, which we've closed on already, where we may have to install a tub. We would get the same tub. We're extremely pleased with the product.

Independent Home is perfect, and their product itself is excellent. However, because of the installers, it has not been a perfect experience. In Massachusetts, we had problems with the installer who came from Connecticut. He was not licensed in Massachusetts. We had trouble with him coming back to finish the installation. And here in South Carolina, we had trouble with Steve, our contractor. He is an excellent craftsman but he hadn't paid the electrical bill, and I've been called for three months. He said he will pay it early this week, which we hope.

Original review: March 25, 2017

There were some comparison prices among tub manufacturers and Independent Home was the best. The sales rep was great and he's a nice guy. Also, dealing with the installation team went well. But they were a day late in putting it in because some guys were sick but one of the installation guys came back from his vacation a day early and then flew his son out from Las Vegas to help him. They installed it the next day and they were wonderful. Then, because I couldn't fill it up all the way with hot water because my hot water would run out, he came over and took a look at my hot water heater and recommended something that you install on it and he put that in for me, too. It gave me enough gallons of water to be able to fill up the tub and the water was warm. The work was well done and the place was very clean when they finished.

I got the 28-inch model because I had a small area for them to put in and it's all ADA approved. I have an extra place to hold on to and stuff getting in and out of the tub. It also has all the jets and because they were late in putting it in, they sent me a free pillow to use in the tub. They did a really good job.

Independent Home Company Information