3.8/5 (93 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Goodman Manufacturing

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Goodman Manufacturing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I will NEVER buy another @Goodman_Mfg (Good Air Conditioning & Heating) unit! If you're considering such a transaction -- just don't! My unit has six years left on the warranty, and although Goodman has coils to manufacture and sell new units EXACTLY like mine (I can buy one today and have it installed for $3,000 and change), for some reason--Goodman cannot find a replacement coil for my warrantied A/C unit that is four years old.

Goodman has a really good game -- headquarters in TX refuses to speak with the homeowner/end user. All communication has to take place between the Distribution Center (WPB) and the a/c tech. If you call their homeowner support line--the ONLY support they offer is to assist you in registering your warranty. Nothing else. Nada. I cannot get ANY information out of them as to WHEN I will either receive a replacement coil or approval for a replacement unit.

My A/C person has followed up on this diligently and has not been able to get much out of them other than--Goodman MIGHT have a replacement coil for my unit SOMETIME NEXT WEEK (hurricane is forecasted to hit here in Florida then). Here's the fun part--in addition to asthma, I have Covid (tested + on Tuesday night, 09/20/22). The temp inside my house is 89'/90', and the humidity is so high it feels like a gd swamp. I feel like I'm trying to breathe underwater. Thanks to Covid, checking into a hotel or staying with friends is not an option. Checking into the hospital may be my next alternative.

Goodman's product, their 10 yr. warranty, and their non-existent homeowner support is not worth a warm bucket of spit. Welcome to capitalism! BTW, #Satoru Akama (CEO) and #daikinairconditioning I rate your company a -10.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I will never buy a Goodman product ever again! My a/c compressor 5ton 14 SEER went out right at 2yrs and they would not replace it! Their warranty don't mean anything! Customer service was no help, they didn't care!!

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2022

We bought a new Goodman furnace and air unit. $14,000. The humidity is horrible!!! 57%-68% everyday and night. The repair guys tell me to turn it down to 67*, well that’s too dang cold for us, we are in our 70’s. Then they said to keep fan on 24-7, all of this deletes the purpose of high energy savings. What crap! Hours and hours of service men here and the humidity still doesn’t go below 57%. They keep telling me an air conditioning unit DOES NOT remove humidity. Every home we had, the air conditioning took the humidity out to a comfortable level. Our 22 yr old unit did just fine. So much for updating The two units. So RUN FROM GOODMAN if you like lower humidity!!!! Now they say we need a whole house dehumidifier for $2000 more, are you kidding me?? We’ve lived in this house for 7 yrs, NEVER EVER have we had high humidity.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Dear customers, willing to buy a good men air conditioning system, they claim to have a warranty, when you go to their website and file after having the units installed professionally. Well if you try to claim for a warranty repair which, it consists of 10 years after having it installed, Customer service tells you that no it's not our responsibility. Their unit breaks down after two days of the unit gets installed by a professional.

The air handler I have has a valve that's internal of their product. Who would think that when you purchase a product it should be working correctly. Customer Service and not willing to cover the repair job done at home. I am a Korean veteran 95 years of age and boy do I feel like it was taken for Advantage. I am now set with a repair job of $745.00 for something that was already installed, by a Professional, then failed after 2 days. Failed not by my installer, but by the craftsmanship ship from the Goodman manufacturer. I was satisfied with Goodman from the past, but not now. Product damage and not covered under a 10 year warranty. Think twice about buying a Goodman air system conditioner.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I bought a house that had been totally redone from the roof down due to smoke damage from a small fire. They installed a brand new Goodman heat & air system in 2013. I noticed a few weeks ago it wasn't cooling like it should. I had someone come out for a leak test today. They told me the coil on the outside unit is bad and I'll need a new system. It didn't even last 9 years. A good unit should last 15-20 years I'm told! My next unit will not be a Goodman.

Original review: June 24, 2022

Unit failed within one year of service due to manufacturing defect caused by faulty workmanship. Submitted claim to Goodman under warranty but warranty ONLY covers a defective part and its replacement, nothing else associated with bringing the unit back to working condition. Submitted detailed invoice, pictures and videos of where defect occurred and repairs performed to return unit to working condition. Goodman denied any reimbursement indicating the only warrant defective parts not their manufacturing process or workmanship. Consumers should be aware of just how limited their warranty is in considering a purchase of this product.

Original review: June 19, 2022

How in the world can I give you an A+? You're a waste of time to dial up. I purchased A Goodman A/C & Heating Unit because this is was what I wanted. It runs Excellent. You're just not qualified to be in this position. Maybe this is why you don't get sales anymore. I will be blunt on all matters if it needs to be known by Company & Consumer! I wanted to know if a PRO1/T-170 is compatible with a Goodman Three (3) Ton Unit? What's so wrong to not help your buyer's in any or all needs? These A/C & Heating Units are very important to keep in Excellent Standards. I purchased this Thermostat, & it cools off quickly, but it doesn't seem to move down fast enough to my temperature I programmed it to.

Now, can any Educated Person give me an answer? I smell a burnt smell after the A/C stops running. I don't want problems, but someway, somehow, I notice these unexpected events. I'm covered through 2024 on all parts. Now, is there someone who will explain why this is happening? Do I have the wrong Thermostat in my Unit? All information will be very helpful. Thank You!

Original review: April 5, 2022

In 2020, I purchased a 16 SEER Air Conditioning unit and a cased evaporator coil after the coils on my old Carrier unit (which I loved) failed due to age. Since the new coil required an updated refrigerant, I decided to replace the AC unit as well. The installation went smoothly, and the unit (although failing to cool quite as well as its predecessor) has been functioning without issue. Fast forward to last weekend, when I received a letter from Goodman, stating that they were issuing a voluntary recall on their evaporator coil drain pans (“under abnormal conditions, the drain pans may overheat, deform and melt, posing a fire hazard”). Of course, whenever I see the words “fire hazard”, I sit up and take notice.

I immediately contacted Goodman and found out that my unit was affected. Initially, I was impressed that they quickly sent out a replacement kit - which took only a couple of days to arrive at my home. But unfortunately, my experience has accelerated downhill from there. Goodman provides their own technicians to effect these types of repairs - apparently because these dealers are willing to complete the job at a rock bottom price. As a homeowner, I have specific vendors that I have trusted over the years who know me and my home, and I would prefer to have the repairs effected by the HVAC company that has performed my service for many years.

Goodman does allow for these “third-party” repair preferences, and my HVAC company was able to price out the job. Unfortunately, when they filed their claim with Goodman, they determined that only a nominal amount would be disbursed, and that the balance (which was over $600) would have to be covered at my expense. Think: “You totaled your $40,000 vehicle, and the insurance company is only prepared to issue you a check for $20,000”.

Since discovering that I am on the hook for $600+ in order for Goodman’s problematic part to be repaired correctly (and which I would think they would want to avoid fixing “on the cheap”, since they apparently didn’t get the original design correct in the first place), I have tried every avenue I could think of to avoid having to foot such a large bill myself: 1. I talked to my HVAC company to determine if there was any way they could affect the repair for less. Nope. Replacing the pan will require removing that coil, and that’s a two-man job.

2. I called Goodman’s recall department (which - although staffed by friendly people - is really just a call center). They said they couldn’t help and directed me to the main Goodman number. 3. I called the main Goodman number and was told that they have technicians that have agreed to the rock bottom “you get what you pay for” price, and that if I don’t want to use one of those, I’ll have to pay the difference myself. Gives new meaning to the term “paying customer”. 4. I asked what this rock bottom price was. After a brief hold, I was told that Goodman cannot release the actual amount of the rock bottom price.

5. I asked to speak to a supervisor. After some recalcitrance, I was finally connected with said supervisor, who rendered the same explanation. In essence: “You have to use one of our techs-who-you-have-knowledge-of-and-cannot-vouch-for-the-quality-of-their-work-and-oh-by-the-way-they’ve-agreed-to-do-the-repair-for-the-rock-bottom-price-that-we-won’t-tell-you-what-it-is or else you must pay the difference yourself”.

6. After thinking about things, I decided to try to vet their list of vendors to see if I could indeed go with one of them. I called Goodman back and was immediately told that Goodman doesn’t release the names of these vendors. “You can go to our website for a list of certified Goodman vendors, but there’s no guarantee that the one you call is the one that has agreed to do the repair. And oh, by the way, our process is not for you to call them. They will contact you when they are able to fit you in to the 500,000+ repairs that have to be made”. Needless to say, at this point, frustration levels were through the roof.

Continuing... 7. I opened the Goodman website and found a list of certified vendors - scrolling through them and using the point-and-click method, coupled with “they have a nice sounding name” to pick one at random. I found a vendor after a few minutes, checked their reviews (they were good), and called. I was immediately connected to a receptionist who promptly dropped my call. I called back, got the same receptionist, and was able to talk for about 30 seconds before she dropped my call again. 8. I called a second vendor and was told that they weren’t sure whether or not they did Goodman recall repairs. They would get back with me once their service manager had an opportunity. No call came that day.

9. I called my home warranty company to see if they could help with my $600+ passed-along-to-customer cost. They were very nice, and nicely told me that my warranty does not cover manufacturer recalls. So, that pretty much brings the saga up-to-date. I absolutely loathe feeling so defeated, and have pretty much resigned myself to paying $600+ to correctly repair Goodman’s defective manufacturer part. This was my first Goodman unit, and - one thing I can absolutely promise - it will definitely be my last.

Original review: March 19, 2022

Had a Goodman GSZ14 Heat Pump and Air Handler system installed in my house. The units ran trouble free for about four years. Last week the house lights would randomly flicker, yesterday the Heat Pump stopped working. The repairman found that a wiring bundle was ty-wrapped to a coolant line and the vibration of the system wore through the wire insulation and shorted out on the coolant line and arced a hole in that line causing the coolant to escape and shut down the unit. The wire was on a high voltage circuit so every time it shorted out, our house lights would flicker.

The repairman was able to repair the hole in the coolant line, high voltage line and reroute the wiring away from the metal components. Warranty? Sorry, coolant not covered, no real parts needed replacing so I was stuck with an $800 service call. ADVICE: Check the wiring routing in the outside unit for loose wire bundle and tighten/reroute wiring away from metal components. This was a QC fail.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Our house has two HVAC units. Had both air conditioners replaced just under two years ago. The coil from the bigger unit cracked, and all the refrigerant leaked out. The warranty covered the part, the cheapest item of the repair. The warranty did NOT cover the labor or the $1500 worth of refrigerant that leaked. What a gyp. It's not like we did anything out of character. We paid a certified installer to install a new unit. Air conditioners use refrigerant. If the unit breaks, the refrigerant leaks out. This should be covered. The treatment from Goodman (also known as Diakin) is that if you pay to have brakes installed on your car, and the brakes fail causing your car to get totaled, Goodman will pay for new brakes, but not to have them installed, or to have the car repaired or replaced, saying "we're terribly sorry our brakes failed, but the rest of the car, well, that's just incidental, we won't cover you, that's on you."

This gets worse. I posted a review on their website. They emailed me asking for more information. They emailed me back asking me to call. I called. They found my warranty, but had no idea why I was told to call. The lady said "it must have been our media team". And that was it! Oh yeah, I checked, they removed my negative review from their website. On top of that, they obviously manipulate their reviews. In addition to removing mine, they left another review that gave one star, but talked about how Goodman made the best unit every. Can't even own up to their mistakes. I will not make the mistake with Goodman again. Our furnaces are probably going to go in the next few years, certainly will avoid Goodman and Diakin.

Goodman Manufacturing author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Goodman Manufacturing has been building air conditioning and heating equipment since 1982. The units are sold to homeowners by independent contractors across the country. As a member of the Daikin Group, they also sell Daikin HVAC systems commercially.

• Affordable: One of Harold Goodman’s priorities was to offer reliable heating and cooling solutions that were affordable for everyone. To that end, Goodman has spent the past three decades focused on manufacturing products that are reliable and dependable instead of spending their money on expensive marketing campaigns.

• Financing: Goodman offers several financing options for consumers with good credit to make their home comfort system more affordable. Financing options include low monthly payments, low-interest rates and no down payment.

• Online energy calculator: Using your address to calculate average weather, fuel types and seasonal energy usage, Goodman’s online energy calculator helps you find your ideal air conditioning system.

• Ductless and central: Goodman offers both central and ductless air conditioning, making them a great option for homeowners with medium to large sized homes with or without ductwork in place.

• State rebates and incentives database: Use the interactive map on Goodman’s website to find out what rebates and incentives are current in your state.

Goodman Manufacturing Company Information