Goodman Manufacturing

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought my house in 2014 in South Florida. The house was brand new construction and very well built. It has all impact windows and doors, along with plenty of insulation. The biggest mistake however was that the builder installed a "GOODMAN" manufacturing HVAC system. The system is sized well within Florida code and worked fine the first year. However, the second year things quickly went downhill during the summer of 2016 when the condenser motor went out in the unit - only to be followed by the coils leaking 4 months later. As of this summer 2017 the unit has gone out again and was completely out for 2 WEEKS!!! I set the unit to 74 and it runs all day even though the house is 85 degrees inside.

I have had 4 different HVAC companies come out and try to diagnose my problem. I have had 7 techs from 4 different companies completely disassemble my unit trying to find the problem. They have checked all the ducting and checked my home's structure for leaks, to no avail. All 4 companies have told me that they believe that the unit is defective and ALL has NOTHING positive to say about the company and all these companies refuse to even do business with GOODMAN (for obvious reasons). That Goodman is one of the cheapest units you can buy and has the most problems! They all recommended that I "Bite the Bullet" and replace the 3 year old unit, after I have dumped $1400 into it.

When I contacted Goodman Manufacturing, an "American made Company out of TEXAS." I was told by a supervisor after explaining my situation, that there was nothing they could do to help me out, despite there being a 10 year warranty on the unit. The incompetent employee I spoke to from GOODMAN told me that my unit was fine and didn't see a reason for them to have to replace it. For a company's motto to be, "At Goodman we believe in American Dependability. Units are designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S.A." to tell a customer that there's nothing you can do is appalling. Goodman Units are nothing more than the lowest quality TRASH - Made from defective parts in China and Mexico, shipped to the U.S and then assembled by migrate workers. Their whole American Made motto is **.

Goodman Manufacturing and its management are no better than "All Talk No Action Politicians!" I hope Trump builds that WALL and taxes your defective parts coming into the U.S so much you go bankrupt!!! It is safe to say that I have thrown out my garbage known as Goodman and Switched to a much more dependable A/C unit.

As for anyone thinking about buying a Goodman A/C unit don't!!! For anyone thinking about replacing their existing unit or buying a house with a Goodman A/C be warned!!! It will cause you so much money, stress and headache when it goes out within 3 years. You will be HIT IN THE FACE with thousands of dollars in repair bills, only to dish out another several thousand dollars to replace it with another unit. I am so entirely dissatisfied with Goodman, their "product" as well as their employees. I won't even sell my old unit to anyone because I don't want them going through what I had to, down here during a HOT South Florida Summer. P.S.A.!!! To anyone purchasing a new HVAC unit. Spend the extra money upfront and buy something that will last you at least 10 years. DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM GOODMAN MANUFACTURING OR YOU WILL EAT THESE WORDS, THAT I CAN PROMISE YOU!

Lennox is leading the industry but Goodman is just as good, but is a simpler machine. The problem is Goodman used to have less restrictions on who they deal to. Because of this, non-professionals have bought Goodman and installed them incorrectly. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO HOW IT'S INSTALLED!!! Pay the extra $$$ to go with a reputable company!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

After I completed an earlier review, a "Goodman" supervisor contacted me by phone. We spoke, and after explaining the issue and my thoughts, the supervisor said she would get back me on extending the warranty on my new unit. A couple of hours later I received an email from the supervisor, with an attached copy of the corrected and updated warranty coverage. Fantastic customer response after what I believe was a fair complaint issue.

John of Mesa, AZ on

Original Review

I moved into my new home in May 2017, and believed I had 90 days to register my new Heat-pump/AC unit for an extended free warranty. While looking for the paperwork, I had learned the time was 60 days, not 90. During a very complicated move, the registration paperwork for all warrantied items in the home was lost/misplaced. On finding the warranty/registration, I attempted to call "Goodman" (I hope the name "Goodman" does not imply anything positive) about 5 times, and on each occasion I was met with a voice message the business is "Closed for the 4th of July", and would be open the 5th.

This was the point at which time I saw I had 60 days, not 90 days to register. On the "Goodman" warranty letter, there is nothing stating hours, and or time zone of the customer service office. I learned they are in Texas, which is a different time zone from Arizona. On writing to Goodman to activate the extended warranty I included a written reason for the late registration.

On the weekend of 072117 I received a response from "Goodman", I believe automated, telling me the item was registered, but the extended warranty was not active. I next called "Goodman." I then had 2 phone conversations with employees of "Goodman" to address the issue, to include an explanation for my delay, and I asked they waive the 2 or 3 day late application.

One of the high quality employees from "Goodman", in telling why she would not address the issue said, "You had ample time." I remained polite and asked to speak to a supervisor. The 2nd employee/supervisor, "Laquicia" was the same in her tone, and was also unwilling to listen to my request to waive my late registration. I explained the reasoning again, and suggested possible examples to her of lost papers due to fire, and or significant issue such as death, as to why it could be possible to validate my extended warranty. But in her flippant response she said, "I have dealt with them all, and there are no exceptions."

I had noted to the employee "This is a new home, and the unit is new." I explained to her there are viable exceptions to rules, and also that it might just be good business to waive the rule. But she was not willing to address the notion of waiving the 2 or 3 day tardiness of my app. I also explained again I had tried to call the number listed on the warranty and website, but all I got was a recording from their system telling me they were closed "July 4th". Neither employee appeared to understand their system was not updated, and it did not provided me an alternative to address my issue to a live person.

Seeing I was getting little flexibility from the "Supervisor", I asked to speak with her Supervisor. Before she transferred me to her supervisor "Christine's", I was told, "She's not going to be able to help you either." So of course, Christine let her phone go to message, so I left my details for a callback. Nice tone, and not threatening.

I don't need repairs, it’s a brand new unit on a brand new house. My developer "Meritage Homes" and unit installer, "Chas **" will be contacted, and they will be advised of the inflexible and very poor service from Goodman. I will also suggest an A/C supplier change, and/or address the business skills of Goodman call takers, and their ability to address common sense and reasonable requests in a professional manner. I can handle "No", but try a little Honey in your sales pitch.

My point here is this; I know the company has rules, and if the house was an old home with an old unit, I could see their trepidation, but as I was only 2 or 3 days outside of the extended warranty with a brand new unit, I would think from a customer service/business issue, they would be understanding and cover my unit. I have run into many stories over the years where good companies waive a simple issue such as this, and the "Goodwill" and "Good word" that come from the experience of the customer, goes a long way toward a good business reputation.

We purchased a Goodman Central Unit in 2012 - The unit has been nothing but trouble, it has become a money pit, last year we survived the summer with small window units, because the coolant would leak out after about 2 weeks. In my opinion this has got to be the worst central unit ever sold!

I had an Amana 2 ton hvac gas pack for 18 years, never had a problem, never cleaned, never serviced. The unit had to be replaced in 2006 and was a problem from day one! The unit would not cool like the old one, the unit was supposed the same as I had before. I spent $3,900.00 in repairs with everything in the unit being replaced, including the compressor. Goodman did not offer any help! They even called one service technician and said I wasn't happy with him, when the fact of the matter was he could not figure out what was wrong!

The unit would run continually all day long with the thermostat on 73 and the outside temp was 83 degrees! I have finally found that the original compressor was a 19000 BTU's and the sensible BTU's rating was rated at 18000, which several HVAC techs said that was a 1/2 ton difference and would not work! I just recently replaced with a Coleman and will not buy Goodman ever again!!! The last tech found the blower wheel was wobbly because of insulation, but said even replacing it would not solve the issue!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?

I built a new house in 2012-2013. 3 separate Daikin commercial grade split units were installed. The house was completed in August of 2013 when I moved in. I noticed, in February of 2014 the unit wasn't heating the rooms on 1 of the unit's zones. I called the installer and spent over $900 to fix it, the company refilled the freon which was empty and left. 6 months later in August, unit's not working again. Long story short second repair company after two three to four visits finally identify the problem with a Daikin tech rep to be the condenser coil in the outdoor unit and evaporator coil in one of the handling units.

I've spent now $2500 to identify the problem. Daikin will not cover parts citing 1 year warranty on all but compressor for a unit that didn't even have normal residential wear and tear. Parts are $1500. I am completely dissatisfied with the lack of quality and desire to stand behind the product they manufacture here in the States for Daikin. I will never recommend or purchase another product from this company.

I have read so many bad reviews and all I can say is I have been installing Goodman units since 2008 and have yet to have one fail. I would put a Goodman up against any brand. Dollar for dollar and dependability you can't beat it. I have had 2 units where ants made a home in the contactor, but that's the only times I have had to replace any, and I mean any part on a Goodman unit. Goodman also has a solid alum. Evap. Coil, nothing to rust out like other brands have a MILD steel end plates that after 10-15 years of service with it being wet from condensation will rust and cause the copper loops to have pinhole leaks that is impossible to fix.

Goodman, Amana, Daikin are all the same company and is the largest HVAC company in the entire world. They didn't get that way from building bad and undependable equipment. They build good quality equipment, maybe it's the installer, and not the equipment, because as I have said in the last 9 years of steadily installing Goodman, not one has failed.

I bought a Goodman 3 ton and in the winter it's not that good at producing heat and this summer just kicked off and the fan motor gave out. I barely use this central air unit and now the guy who installed it wanted to charge me 100 a pound and then he said I might not even be covered. This isn't cool at all! Thousands down the drain. Never again will I buy this junk!

Worked for Goodman a few years ago. Arrogant, paranoid upper management, inferior products, delusional opinion of their products. Think they are a higher quality than Carrier, Lennox, and Trans, who are the industry leaders.

I have purchased a Goodman heat pump there 3 years ago and it stopped working. The compressor went and have been trying to get it fixed. Have contacted the company many times and they will not replace the part. I know of someone else who has the same problem as I do. Will never deal with them again. There is a 10-year warranty on it and they will not fix it, it's been two years waiting.

GOODMAN R22 5 TON UNIT "JUNK UNIT" - Goodman is garbage. I just hit 5 years and during this time we replaced a compressor under the bull ** warranty and it still cost me $1000 between labor and freon. Now the coil leaked out all the freon. The owner of this junk company needs a visit... I bet you in his home he doesn't have this junk. My last unit was a Carrier and it never gave me a problem in 37 years of use... shame on this fool who owns this bad company. Do not believe any installer. This manufacturer makes junk!

I had a Goodman (GPG153609041AD) unit installed December 2010. Since then I have had to replace a draft motor, ignition board, and now the evaporator coil is leaking and needs to be replaced. All in I will spend more than $4,000 in repairs on a unit that cost me $6,800 to install! Goodman would not help. Given all comments online, the evaporator coil at least is a problem that has consistently come up. After speaking with customer service, they would not offer any help at all. I recommend that no one use Goodman units ever. I will replace mine as soon as I am able to do so.

I purchased the "extended warranty" through our local One Hour Heating and Air (now out of business). This covered a total replacement installation in 2009 of: a Furnace/Coil downstairs; heat pump/air handler unit upstairs; two outdoor units. Evaporator coil sprung a leak last week and I checked my warranty online and on the phone w/ Goodman and they confirmed my coverage for parts and labor. Called one of their authorized "Asure" techs and he came out and told me the coil wasn't covered.

Everything (all serial numbers for furnace, heat pump/air handler, two outdoor units) was covered and registered EXCEPT, they had "no record" of the serial number for the coil. They all start with similar #s (0905, 1001) yet that one serial number for the coil isn't among what they have. I'm beyond angry, especially after reading that that's the part that may have been defective upon install!! *sigh* They said the only recourse I had was to present them with a RECEIPT from 2009 showing that coil on there! After confirming the furnace was covered online, I didn't even consider keeping the receipt. Lesson learned there, I suppose. I will be calling them back today and try and dig a bit deeper. This is ridiculous.

Replaced old unit in 2008 with Amana 5 ton. So far replaced coil in upper unit (Which was supposed to be recalled 2 years after unit was installed. No contract by manufacturer). Replaced fan in upper unit twice, which is down again and replaced compressor three times in a row in order to get a good one along with valve motherboard and comfort control. All at my cost because company that installed unit went under and no contacts was made to me to let us know this unit isn't even 10 years old. Totally never buying a unit from Amana or Goodman again!

Our Amana heat pump started breaking down after 5 years. First it was a leak, then coil, condenser then the other coil and another 5-6 leaks repaired. All of these on separate occasions & all in an 8 month period. Customer service wasn't any help either! I will never purchase Goodman Mfg. brand in the future!

I purchased a Goodman heat pump GPH1360H41BC (sn: 1208655671) in 2012 from a local dealer by my AC tech. It worked ok at first except for low freon. This year I began having problems. First a capacitor, then the fan motor. A month later I was told the coil had a leak and tech replaced 5 lbs freon at $30/lb plus labor. I was quoted 11 lbs of freon at $30/lb plus 3 hrs labor for a total of about $900 for a new coil. Coil was under warranty but labor and freon isn't. Those are the biggest cost on the problem. Why should we have to pay for freon that escaped as a result of a faulty coil?

A week later the new coil arrived and will be installed tomorrow. Now I find out there are many problems with Goodman products. I am a widow on social security and cannot afford costly repair bills. My tech tells me they do not install these anymore. I'm also afraid that my son who purchased one a year or so ago will also start having problems. Made in China products are no good. Please stop selling these.

Amana package unit is not old. 2014 I think. Evaporator coil has had constant leaks. I've already had 3 prior service calls on this unit, the fan motor and now the compressor has gone bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It there was a zero or lower, that is what I would rate this unit.

I bought a 15 seer heat pump from Goodman Manufacturing. This is my worst mistake ever, less than 5 years evaporator coil started leaking out Freon. 2 pounds to start with, then 1 year later 5 pounds. Unless you like spending enormous amounts of money on Freon ($45 per pound), and $75 per hour labor, do not buy a goodman heat pump or air conditioner. The amount of rust around the evaporator coil is unbelievable. Their warranty is a ** warranty. The warranty is only as good as the product, and the product is only as good as the warranty. Please do some research and don’t buy goodman products. I thought it said made in America. It's made with defective parts, please look at all their negative reviews. I had a Rheem that lasted 31 years and a carrier 33 years.

Unit is barely 6 years old. Evaporator coil has a leak. Goodman said unit wasn't registered and I don't have a record that I registered online so it's my problem. I looked online and saw there was a class action lawsuit but it was dismissed? I've already had 2 prior service calls on this Goodman. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I had my AC guy come over and he discovered a leaky coil, which is only 13 months old. After calling Goodman in Winter Haven FL they discovered this unit is out of stock across the country and on backorder? Now this seems a bit odd since apparently their coils go bad often. We have to sit and wait without AC in the Florida Sun for them to start manufacturing them and then ship to local warehouse. Maybe 2+ weeks I am being told.

AC replaced September 2013 with a brand new Amana/Goodman ASZC18. Four service calls in the last 3 1/2 years and $853 in repair charges. Evaporator coil failed this week after only 3 1/2 years causing refrigerant to leak. New evaporator coil is covered by warranty but not the $400 labor charge. I have since found out that this was a problem for the company on units sold between 2009 and 2011 and there is a class action lawsuit in progress. I bought my unit in 2013, so apparently this is still a problem.

People buy Amana thinking that it has the best warranty (10 year for units, lifetime for compressors) on the market. But like so many others, our home builders (in 2009) didn't give us any registration papers, or bother to register the product themselves... So the warranty is irrelevant after just 5 years. I thought this was an illegal practice, to require registration for promised warranty coverage, but turns out it's only illegal in California. Our AC unit failed promptly after first 5-year period expired, and the repairs have been costly. Never going to buy Amana/Goodman again, not unless they change this predatory warranty policy. This company's extended warranty is a sham and a hustle. I hope that someone with more time on their hands brings a class-action suit.

We bought a home in 2011. The home was built in 2008/2009 with a Goodman unit. No other person ever lived in our brand new home. Last year the nightmare started when we had a company to come out to replace a part. However we continue to have a bad odor coming from the air of the air condition that smelled like dirty socks. I had started getting bad sinus and my husband woke up with headache every morning. So we called to have the entire system check last week. The company found a lot of rust and molded inside the unit and a bad coil. Many of my neighbors have replaced the coils in their system as well. Needless to say we had to replace the entire system the next day (Friday, March 31, 2017). We now have a Carrier and clean air.

Brought a unit from Goodman on 3/7/17. Installed the unit for my customer on 3/9/17. On 3/11/17 they had to evacuate from their home because of the smell because the heat exchanger is bad. Also the children got sick and the parents got headaches and had them for 3 days. Goodman said they couldn't give us a new heater and the homeowner no longer wants this furnace in their home. They do not want no tech from Goodman at their home. They want to be reimbursed. The Manager Michael ** was the most unsympathetic person I dealt with in my life. Instead of just reimbursing the homeowner he is making it difficult for them. He wants us to pay a tech from Goodman to deem it bad when we purchase the unit not even a week ago.

I will never recommend Goodman to any of my customers and homeowners and I have been doing heating for over 25 years and I know what I am talking about. Do not purchase a heater from Goodman. They didn't care about children getting sick and they had the homeowners without heat for 5 days and will not reimburse them with their money. I am appalled they only care about one thing taking money from customers. They didn't try to help at all. You will never see our business again. I also suggest to you Michael ** learn how to be a manager the way you handle this situation is uncalled for.

I own several houses and have had several Goodman HVAC systems (mainly heat pumps) installed. It's turning out to be a nightmare; chickens are coming home to roost! It's the same thing on nearly all of them--- leaking coils! After reading all these other reviews I am very worried!

3 TON Amana AC cost $6875!!! (this is a small ac) The compressor went out after 2 years. Date of purchase 2/25/14. Date replaced 6/22/16. This is for a small footage upstairs split level - rarely used. It's warranted for 10 years - but I had to pay $850 labor to replace it. They replaced with a Goodman, which is supposedly same manufacturer. One year later - it has gone out. Maybe they will replace it... but this product is far inferior and as costly as the top of the line Trane, Carrier or American Standard. Extreme hassle to replace even though it's warranted.

Circuit board sensor controlling defrost cycle failed and parts were ordered on a Tuesday for expedited delivery. A week later parts had not arrived and all Goodman would tell the repair company was that it didn't ship until Thursday. They had no explanation of why there was a delay in shipping, they had no way of tracking the shipment, they couldn't even say how it was shipped. After 8 days, they simply didn't care when or if it arrived. Parts have been reordered, but Goodman is no longer on my list for replacement consideration.

I just purchased a Goodman 3 ton 16 seer packaged unit. 9-10-16. It is in a weekend home. The unit shut down after just two days. A local dealer (Mills AC) sent out a tech. He told me that he was 100% positive the circuit board had failed. New one was installed and unit still does not work. Now they want me to pay them to come out again and Goodman has weaseled out of their warranty. This by far the worst pile of junk I have ever purchased and the Goodman service is the worst and Mills AC has no clue as to what they are doing. AVOID GOODMAN, PURE JUNK!!!

In August of 2016 we had an A/C system failure, and decided to have a Goodman complete system with gas furnace installed. Not only was the overall cost much lower than some competitors, both A/C and heat have performed at a very high level from day one. Our home has less humidity, is comfortable, and we also enjoy the fan speed settings. The entire system is powerful and efficient, and we are looking forward to many years of comfort with it in our home.

I bought a Goodman M acvolt8/ 208/233 unit when I bought my module home Feb 2015. This came as a package deal. I have had to have a local authorized dealer out three times because the air conditioner will not work. Leak found at filter dryer and piston meter device. There is a clog in the system in the area of the clog. The unit was completely frozen. There was no Freon in the system. This system is LESS than two years old. The repairman also noted that the ductwork was not the proper size for the unit we have. I need to have the unit completely replaced and have the proper ductwork put in or I will continue to have this problem. Since the AC/HEATING unit came as a package deal through Taylor Made Homes and Destiny manufacturer I had no choice in what company they used.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Goodman Manufacturing has been building air conditioning and heating equipment since 1982. The units are sold to homeowners by independent contractors across the country. As a member of the Daikin Group, they also sell Daikin HVAC systems commercially.

• Affordable: One of Harold Goodman’s priorities was to offer reliable heating and cooling solutions that were affordable for everyone. To that end, Goodman has spent the past three decades focused on manufacturing products that are reliable and dependable instead of spending their money on expensive marketing campaigns.
  • Financing: Goodman offers several financing options for consumers with good credit to make their home comfort system more affordable. Financing options include low monthly payments, low-interest rates and no down payment.
  • Online energy calculator: Using your address to calculate average weather, fuel types and seasonal energy usage, Goodman’s online energy calculator helps you find your ideal air conditioning system.
  • Ductless and central: Goodman offers both central and ductless air conditioning, making them a great option for homeowners with medium to large sized homes with or without ductwork in place.
  • State rebates and incentives database: Use the interactive map on Goodman’s website to find out what rebates and incentives are current in your state.
  • Best for owners of medium to large sized homes who want either a central or ductless split air conditioning system.

Compare Air Conditioners