2.4/5 (601 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Goodman Manufacturing

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Goodman Manufacturing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?

Original review: April 5, 2022

In 2020, I purchased a 16 SEER Air Conditioning unit and a cased evaporator coil after the coils on my old Carrier unit (which I loved) failed due to age. Since the new coil required an updated refrigerant, I decided to replace the AC unit as well. The installation went smoothly, and the unit (although failing to cool quite as well as its predecessor) has been functioning without issue. Fast forward to last weekend, when I received a letter from Goodman, stating that they were issuing a voluntary recall on their evaporator coil drain pans (“under abnormal conditions, the drain pans may overheat, deform and melt, posing a fire hazard”). Of course, whenever I see the words “fire hazard”, I sit up and take notice.

I immediately contacted Goodman and found out that my unit was affected. Initially, I was impressed that they quickly sent out a replacement kit - which took only a couple of days to arrive at my home. But unfortunately, my experience has accelerated downhill from there. Goodman provides their own technicians to effect these types of repairs - apparently because these dealers are willing to complete the job at a rock bottom price. As a homeowner, I have specific vendors that I have trusted over the years who know me and my home, and I would prefer to have the repairs effected by the HVAC company that has performed my service for many years.

Goodman does allow for these “third-party” repair preferences, and my HVAC company was able to price out the job. Unfortunately, when they filed their claim with Goodman, they determined that only a nominal amount would be disbursed, and that the balance (which was over $600) would have to be covered at my expense. Think: “You totaled your $40,000 vehicle, and the insurance company is only prepared to issue you a check for $20,000”.

Since discovering that I am on the hook for $600+ in order for Goodman’s problematic part to be repaired correctly (and which I would think they would want to avoid fixing “on the cheap”, since they apparently didn’t get the original design correct in the first place), I have tried every avenue I could think of to avoid having to foot such a large bill myself: 1. I talked to my HVAC company to determine if there was any way they could affect the repair for less. Nope. Replacing the pan will require removing that coil, and that’s a two-man job.

2. I called Goodman’s recall department (which - although staffed by friendly people - is really just a call center). They said they couldn’t help and directed me to the main Goodman number. 3. I called the main Goodman number and was told that they have technicians that have agreed to the rock bottom “you get what you pay for” price, and that if I don’t want to use one of those, I’ll have to pay the difference myself. Gives new meaning to the term “paying customer”. 4. I asked what this rock bottom price was. After a brief hold, I was told that Goodman cannot release the actual amount of the rock bottom price.

5. I asked to speak to a supervisor. After some recalcitrance, I was finally connected with said supervisor, who rendered the same explanation. In essence: “You have to use one of our techs-who-you-have-knowledge-of-and-cannot-vouch-for-the-quality-of-their-work-and-oh-by-the-way-they’ve-agreed-to-do-the-repair-for-the-rock-bottom-price-that-we-won’t-tell-you-what-it-is or else you must pay the difference yourself”.

6. After thinking about things, I decided to try to vet their list of vendors to see if I could indeed go with one of them. I called Goodman back and was immediately told that Goodman doesn’t release the names of these vendors. “You can go to our website for a list of certified Goodman vendors, but there’s no guarantee that the one you call is the one that has agreed to do the repair. And oh, by the way, our process is not for you to call them. They will contact you when they are able to fit you in to the 500,000+ repairs that have to be made”. Needless to say, at this point, frustration levels were through the roof.

Continuing... 7. I opened the Goodman website and found a list of certified vendors - scrolling through them and using the point-and-click method, coupled with “they have a nice sounding name” to pick one at random. I found a vendor after a few minutes, checked their reviews (they were good), and called. I was immediately connected to a receptionist who promptly dropped my call. I called back, got the same receptionist, and was able to talk for about 30 seconds before she dropped my call again. 8. I called a second vendor and was told that they weren’t sure whether or not they did Goodman recall repairs. They would get back with me once their service manager had an opportunity. No call came that day.

9. I called my home warranty company to see if they could help with my $600+ passed-along-to-customer cost. They were very nice, and nicely told me that my warranty does not cover manufacturer recalls. So, that pretty much brings the saga up-to-date. I absolutely loathe feeling so defeated, and have pretty much resigned myself to paying $600+ to correctly repair Goodman’s defective manufacturer part. This was my first Goodman unit, and - one thing I can absolutely promise - it will definitely be my last.

Original review: March 19, 2022

Had a Goodman GSZ14 Heat Pump and Air Handler system installed in my house. The units ran trouble free for about four years. Last week the house lights would randomly flicker, yesterday the Heat Pump stopped working. The repairman found that a wiring bundle was ty-wrapped to a coolant line and the vibration of the system wore through the wire insulation and shorted out on the coolant line and arced a hole in that line causing the coolant to escape and shut down the unit. The wire was on a high voltage circuit so every time it shorted out, our house lights would flicker.

The repairman was able to repair the hole in the coolant line, high voltage line and reroute the wiring away from the metal components. Warranty? Sorry, coolant not covered, no real parts needed replacing so I was stuck with an $800 service call. ADVICE: Check the wiring routing in the outside unit for loose wire bundle and tighten/reroute wiring away from metal components. This was a QC fail.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Our house has two HVAC units. Had both air conditioners replaced just under two years ago. The coil from the bigger unit cracked, and all the refrigerant leaked out. The warranty covered the part, the cheapest item of the repair. The warranty did NOT cover the labor or the $1500 worth of refrigerant that leaked. What a gyp. It's not like we did anything out of character. We paid a certified installer to install a new unit. Air conditioners use refrigerant. If the unit breaks, the refrigerant leaks out. This should be covered. The treatment from Goodman (also known as Diakin) is that if you pay to have brakes installed on your car, and the brakes fail causing your car to get totaled, Goodman will pay for new brakes, but not to have them installed, or to have the car repaired or replaced, saying "we're terribly sorry our brakes failed, but the rest of the car, well, that's just incidental, we won't cover you, that's on you."

This gets worse. I posted a review on their website. They emailed me asking for more information. They emailed me back asking me to call. I called. They found my warranty, but had no idea why I was told to call. The lady said "it must have been our media team". And that was it! Oh yeah, I checked, they removed my negative review from their website. On top of that, they obviously manipulate their reviews. In addition to removing mine, they left another review that gave one star, but talked about how Goodman made the best unit every. Can't even own up to their mistakes. I will not make the mistake with Goodman again. Our furnaces are probably going to go in the next few years, certainly will avoid Goodman and Diakin.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

DO NOT BUY.... We have gone through two defrost boards, one compressor and two capacitors...all in just two years. Wish I had just paid more for a better brand like a Trane or American Standard. Stay away from this product.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I am very frustrated right now. My American Standard unit that had been working great for 17yrs finally died 3 yrs ago. It was replaced by a Goodman AC unit and heat pump. My HVAC guy said they were a good system so I trusted him. Now 3 yrs later the heat pump is not working and have to keep the gas furnace on emergency heat. I have contacted goodman with no help of a tech person to come out and check what is going on. It's still under warranty but I do not want to pay for a service call when the unit is only 3 yrs old.

I am pretty sure it is the compressor. I have been in the building business for over 40 yrs and know when or what is broken. I am not impressed with their products or help from company. I would expect someone from goodman to come out and look at it to make sure it was installed correctly and to replace the unit free of charge. I still have a second american standard unit on second floor that is running good without issues for 22 yrs. I Kept the filters changed and coiling fins clean on heat pump. I hate to leave reviews like this but when the company doesn't reach out to help solve a product problem then I let others know about the product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Wish I had seen the reviews here before I made my purchase. If I could go back to Dec 2021, I would NOT purchase a Goodman. Were I not a senior on a limited income so that I cannot afford to trash it and get another brand, I must live with it. It is LOUD and provides, and I am being generous, uneven temperature. It is only at the set temperature at the thermostat. My old Rheem, seriously failing, provided better, more even heating.

Never have I experiences such a crappy, over-priced major home investment failure. Your sales partners mislead about the warranty and service and heating capacity making this a BIG, overpriced mistake. Clearly Goodman does not expect the compressor to last more than two years since Goodman limits its warranty to two years; a limit the dealer failed to disclose prior to purchase despite the fact that I made clear the reason for purchase was the lifetime warranty on all parts as praised on the internet sites. Goodman must compensate the “professionals” that praise and publish a lifetime warranty, quiet function and quality product.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Purchased a 3.5-ton package unit. Right from the start, the inducer blower motor was vibrating/humming, installer/technician did some troubleshooting and said the inducer motor was defective and needed replacement. 2 months later, still waiting for the replacement part, part Not in stock supposedly, insane... Save your money buy buy another brand.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I had their 97% AFUE furnace installed in my house in April 2018 along with a Ecobee thermostat. The system worked fine for the first season (winter 2018) but had starting issues winter 2019. The furnace tries to start but could not make the solenoid valve open - E0 H A 8 error code was displayed. The installer came back and somehow managed to make it work. Come winter 2020, same starting issue and the installer changed out the solenoid valve to make it work. Come winter 2021, one more change of the solenoid valve but system stopped working 2 weeks later. Please pay and install Goodman products if you are lacking action and grief in your life.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Two Goodman units were purchased and installed in my home. One of the copper lines wasn't long enough to bypass another line and thus vibrated causing a hole in the line. This is a common problem and Goodman is aware of the problem but refuses to cover the cost to repair. I spoke with Goodman customer service who referred me to the local rep. When I call the area rep Phillip ** ** who was extremely rude.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Appears there are MULTIPLE complaints about the AC units breaking down right after the warranty. AC units are supposed to last for many years, these are breaking down within a year and the consumer is responsible for the labor to replace their crappy parts. $2,000 into repairing their crappy product 16 months after purchase. Thanks Goodman for standing behind your product. Think twice before buying their product. Concerned for the coming years that it is just going to be a money pit.

Goodman Manufacturing author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Goodman Manufacturing has been building air conditioning and heating equipment since 1982. The units are sold to homeowners by independent contractors across the country. As a member of the Daikin Group, they also sell Daikin HVAC systems commercially.

• Affordable: One of Harold Goodman’s priorities was to offer reliable heating and cooling solutions that were affordable for everyone. To that end, Goodman has spent the past three decades focused on manufacturing products that are reliable and dependable instead of spending their money on expensive marketing campaigns.

• Financing: Goodman offers several financing options for consumers with good credit to make their home comfort system more affordable. Financing options include low monthly payments, low-interest rates and no down payment.

• Online energy calculator: Using your address to calculate average weather, fuel types and seasonal energy usage, Goodman’s online energy calculator helps you find your ideal air conditioning system.

• Ductless and central: Goodman offers both central and ductless air conditioning, making them a great option for homeowners with medium to large sized homes with or without ductwork in place.

• State rebates and incentives database: Use the interactive map on Goodman’s website to find out what rebates and incentives are current in your state.

Goodman Manufacturing Company Information