1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

261 Goodman Manufacturing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I purchased the complete AC on June 2, 2018. Today is November 11, 2018 and my AC is not working. This is ridiculous... I have to pay $1000 plus to have replace the coil... I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing the unit.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I purchased both a Goodman Central AC Unit and a Goodman Furnace in 2013. I had become disabled around that time and this was my last big purchase. I had hoped that in buying 2 new units that I wouldn't have problems with them and that they'd be reliable for years to come. That was not the case. When I went to start up the AC at the beginning of the 2nd year, it wasn't working. The repairman had to replace the coil. Now, going into the 5th year, my furnace is not working. The repairman came out and said it needed a part that had to be ordered. He said the error code on the panel read: "Low fire pressure switch open."

Since it was Friday afternoon when the repairman came out, the part wouldn't be delivered until late Monday (or early Tuesday) and so therefore Tuesday would be the earliest it could be repaired. This left me without heat for almost 6 days in 30-degree weather with snow on the ground. It's freezing in this house. I have severe arthritis and nerve damage which is worse in the cold. I've had to increase my pain medication and I'm stuck sitting under a heated blanket.

I made this purchase because I didn't want to have to worry about my old system breaking down while I was out of work with limited funds and as it turned out, my 20-year-old system was more reliable. I'm really disgusted with this company. Both their AC units and furnaces are junk. I spent thousands thinking I was making a good investment for my home and it's one of the worst purchases I've ever made.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I purchased a Goodman 5 ton unit and since it was installed I had only have issues up to the point the installer doesn't want to get back to me. Compressor was replace, add an expansion valve which it didn't work, it leaks Freon and every 3 weeks he has to come to refill. Don't know what to do.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

4-year-old Heat pump, been out 5 months through summer, now into fall. Coil started leaking out dents in bottom... just the way factory installed. Kept getting run around about "they couldn't find box" to ship warranty replacement in. Got replacement finally and it's so beat up, likely down at least 10% in efficiency due to smashed fins. Made me sick to have to spend $6-800 to install that garbage. Tech said was in box with a few foam peanuts. At least 4 months to ship THAT. Appears ongoing problem for years. They just selfish, money grabbing thief company. NEED CLASS ACTION SUIT TO STOP THIS NONSENSE!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bought mine about 5-6 years ago. Filled out online warranty registration and noted date on the warranty along with all serial and model numbers that I filed on warranty. Inside fan failed. Installer who sold unit said that Goodman said unit was not registered. I did register the unit. We had call after rope-a-dope call with them and nothing was ever resolved. Cost me 800.00 because they lost my registration. I would take a polygraph on this one and pass, because I did file the warranty. Very bad business... Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Old AC unit went out, homeowners insurance barely paid for the bottom right cheapest crappy product available on the market, which was a Goodman compressor and coil. The brand new coil lasted 46 days before it had emptied out of all of the refrigerant due to holes in the brand new coil. I live in Tucson, Arizona where the summers are between 105 and 115° and my AC went out in the middle of the summer and I was without any AC for four weeks before the homeowners insurance finally paid for the crap product, which didn’t even last two months. After two separate deductibles, two separate sets of uncovered charges my out-of-pocket is now just over $2000 for a product that wasn’t worth 500 to begin with. Buyer beware, seriously beware, do not purchase Goodman products.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I purchased a Goodman Heat pump with high hopes only to be sadly disappointed. I have had this unit for 6 years and in this time, I have had to replace the evaporator core which was under warranty but the service and the recharge was not. The bill was 600 dollars. I have replaced the motor on the outside unit. I have had to have three capacitors replace and the unit recharged 4 different times. The most joy that this unit has brought me was the today when I bought a different unit.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Purchased two Goodman/Amana heat pumps at the same time for my home. Both 16 SEER, one was a 2 ton unit, one was a 5 ton unit. All new units, both inside and outside. First Unit: Would not heat without kicking on strips. Thirteen service calls and 4 years later, it was finally addressed. Second Unit: 2nd year, capacitor failed. 3rd year, same capacitor failed. 4th year, outside unit fan failed. Had a couple of other smaller issues, too.

Also purchased 10 year parts/labor warranty with Goodman. Apparently not. Even though I have an invoice that states what I purchased, Goodman will not recognize the labor warranty. Made many calls to get the issue addressed and they would not listen. I can understand one or two problems, but not many significant problems, continually on two separate new units. We keep temp 78 in summer and 68 in winter, so not an overworked system. Carry your business elsewhere or set a dinner plate for the regular serviceman as we did.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

In July of 2012 I purchased a Goodman System for my Condominium in Ossining New York. I was a little skeptical because I had never heard of Goodman but was assured it was made by Amana and was a good, reliable brand and somewhat less expensive than the "name" brands. I was told by the company that installed it that it had a good warranty... 10 years in fact so not to worry. I had routine maintenance done on schedule and in April of 2018 began having trouble with the A.C. Serviceman repaired and recommended a new thermostat system which I had done. Three months later the system failed again. Noticed some "ice" buildup on copper pipes around unit and some water on the floor. Serviceman replaced filter and cleaned outside condenser.

One month later FAILED again and now told by repair service the condenser coil is no good. He said, "Don't worry. It's covered under warranty..." Until three hours later when Goodman told him the unit was not registered and they would not honor the warranty. Now I have the bill of sale with all documents and serial numbers yet they are telling me that I had to send in the postcard to have it registered. It's a damn 7000 unit... Like a car. I said... "You don't send in postcards for cars do you?" I went round and round with Goodman NON CUSTOMER SERVICE and decided to try to reach a supervisor. THEY KEPT TELLING ME THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE. Well I called the corporate office and asked to be connected to the CEO a Mr. Ebisu's secretary. Lo and behold I was connected to a woman named K.D. ** (Write that down folks. K.D. ** is the secretary to the CEO.)

I started to explain my issue and she was trying to put me back in touch with customer service... But I convinced her to listen to the whole story (the same complaints that many of you have mentioned in these reviews) after a good 10 minutes she assured me that the head of Consumer Complaints a Mr. Preston ** would be working on my case and that she was sure he would help in the matter. She even went so far as to tell me that she was instructing him to get back to me within 2 hours with a resolution. Well... he called back and was ABSOLUTELY NO HELP AT ALL. In fact he said to me... "You were never supposed to get put through to Ms. ** office." I was and I intend to make sure that both of their names are out in public so that people will know who they are and how little they care about customer service.

Tomorrow, I am having a new unit installed at a discount price from TRANE which is a REAL COMPANY that backs its products. My service company was so mad at Goodman that they are eating the labor cost to install the new system. They discounted the price by 2600 DOLLARS and a 4500 price tag is now down to under 1700 which is less than the part that Goodman wanted to send me. STAY AWAY FROM GOODMAN... Tell your friends to stay away from Goodman and if anyone has a class action suit going count me in. Please call Ms. ** and Mr. ** and give them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I just had a home built from the ground up after much sacrificing and saving for years. The builder used Goodman ac units for the bottom and top floors. The top floor unit gave me issues from the day I moved in and the repair guy had to come like 3 three times before he finally was able to "rig" it up enough to work. That should have been enough to send me running to the builder to exchange the units out with another brand but I thought it was mostly the repair guy 'cause he was saying those are not very good units blah blah blah so I just chalked it up to him being a lazy money hungry dude but looks like now he was right 'cause now the other unit was blowing hot air this week and a trusted ac repairman came and told me the thing has a leak causing the Freon to disappear.

I can’t recall the name of the part because I am at work right now and don’t have my receipt here with me. But whatever the case may be it is TOO early for anything to be broken or worn out as I have only been in the home 3 yrs!!! This is ridiculous. And some kind of warranty they have 'cause they pay for the part but I am responsible for the labor and Freon which is around 650.00. Man I really dislike this company. I am thinking of joining the CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT that is being started against them. I will NEVER buy any of their products again and advise you to do the same.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2018

The company went out of their way to resolve the issue above and beyond. I'm very happy with the out come. I would recommend them and their tech support.

John

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Having problems with Goodman MFG HVAC systems. Please call to add your name to start a class action lawsuit. **. Alpine Home Air Tech support is useless. I know, I have a broken HVAC system! I would recommend using someone else, Alpine Home Air didn’t support me! AC unit failed to work. Goodman Failed to warranty the AC unit less than a year old!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I was told by the installer to register my Goodman 5 ton heat pump for an extended 10 yr warranty on the compressor. The unit was registered- and the compressor failed after 6 years. Guess what--- my particular unit is not covered past 5 years. What a coincidence! NEVER BUY A GOODMAN HEAT PUMP. Apparently these are junk. I wish I had read some reviews before purchasing.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Goodman and Amana are the same company. I made the mistake of buying an Amana A/C unit. I've had nothing but trouble. Brand new in 2013... compressor went in 2018, just outside of five years. Can be repaired for a mere cost of $1000 labor, $800 in freon, plus the compressor (another $2000 if it's not under warranty). NEVER buy Amana/Goodman. Why did the compressor go? Tech: "Oh, they just go from time to time."

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Like everyone else my coil started leaking. They could not find the leak last year when it would of been under warranty for the part. This year it is just outside the five-year warranty and they were able to identify the large leak. Goodman customer service was worthless. These coils should be recalled! Will never buy a Goodman product again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

With our new home was installed an Amana & Goodman Heat Pump. We have been in the house for just under four years now. We got news today that the Goodman Heat Pump coil has a leak and it will cost $ 625.00 in labor and recharge of the system. The part is covered but not labor to replace or the front to recharge the system. Not what we expected in a new home. Sadly other reviews indicate further problems with Goodman units so I am now contemplating replacement rather than keep getting stiffed by an uncaring company and sleazy policies.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I had a 4 ton Goodman home air conditioner installed less than 5 years ago. The evaporator coil has already started leaking and is being replaced as I write this review. $625 to replace the coil and $75 handling fee from parts warehouse. My service tech tells me I was lucky to get 5 years and that he replaces these coils frequently. He found the leak in 1 minute. I called Goodman (877-254-4729) and they denied problems with their units and did not offer any compensation. Then I got on this website and read the reviews and got even more depressed. I'll never buy another Goodman (or Amana because I understand they use the same coil) and be sure to tell my story as often as possible.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This unit is less than 3 years old. Within the first few months of install a coil went bad. Costing labor and coolant. They gave a new part but refused to do anything else. Then the 2nd cool has a leak a little over a year later apparently. Kevin ** sold the unit to my installer who is a dealer. He made it right out of pocket. Then in early June, the compressor went out. I had called Kevin once about the 2nd coil issue. He said he couldn't deal with me the homeowner. So here we go again jumping through hoops. Now it's the compressor. That will be 3 times I have bought coolant and twice a complete loss plus labor etc.. Not to mention I had to go buy a window unit just to make it manageable (400.00) in the main area of the house. Ferguson has went down and Kevin ** is a guy you don't want representing your company unless you want it to lose business.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We brought a Goodman air-condition and it the compressor went within 3 years. Contacted Goodman, experience runaround, and was told to expect a call back. One of the worst companies I have dealt with. Out of thousands of dollars, unit shall have lasted much longer. Sad she companies don't stand behind their products.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Well the Goodman HVAC unit is 3 years old and 2 coils down and now a compressor. These are clearly pieces of junk. Do not buy them. It's a shame that even with a parts warranty, I will have more money in labor in 3 years than the unit cost me to begin with. Not to mention burning up in the heat of summer. Junk Period!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Have had our unit in CA, for less than 1 year. The compressor just went out and am now being told that the manufacturer won't allow the parts to be stored. It shouldn't fail within a year anyway, but there is always a certain percentage of failure in anything mechanical. How you deal with that is key, and withholding parts is unacceptable.

Original review: July 17, 2018

This is the second coil I have had a put in the Goodman unit in 8 years. Even though they have a 10 year warranty having your AC go down for a week in Florida is horrific and it's just not the coil. We've had compressor issues. We've had for 5 service calls and this was a brand new unit in 2011. I can see why they had a class action lawsuit on their product.

Original review: July 14, 2018

This unit (Goodman GPH1448H1 Heat Pump) is worthless, cheaply made, tinny, extremely noisy and inefficient. It is outrageously noisy and Goodman customer service doesn't give a damn about it. The structure of the unit is made of flimsy material and vibrates loudly every time it starts and runs. Goodman Mfg offers NO solution to correct the noise and even denies there are problems despite NUMEROUS online and YouTube comments. This unit should NOT be sold. It is too cheaply made and of extremely poor quality. Do NOT waste money on Goodman products.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Bought Goodman. Never again. 2 burnt blower motors and now a defective evaporator coil and on top of that my installer said it’s all warrantied through Goodman for 10 years but now Goodman says they will not warranty the units for 10 years; only 5 because a form was not filed within 90 days from install. This is bull. It’s because they are in a class action lawsuit about having lot and lots of defective coils and so they're trying to get out of covering their 10 year warranty on a technicality and because they know their stuff will only last for 5 year and now turning the blame on homeowners for their installing company negligence in not filing their paperwork timely by saying, "Oh that’s the homeowners' responsibility to file the warranty paperwork and if they don’t we will penalize them for our defective products."

Let’s face it. Paperwork or not it should not affect the warranty. If their stuff was built right from the beginning and they felt a 10 year warranty was proper then filing a form should not matter. It does not change the MFG date or the install date or the way they make their products. They have not heard the last from me. This is just a start.

Buy Trane not Goodman and save your self lots of headaches. Dealing with Goodman’s customers service is a joke just a headache. I’m not asking for labor charges or the 10 lbs of Freon that was lost due to their defective coils just to stand behind their 10 year policy and provide the parts to replace their known bad inferior parts for the 10 year period they promised. If you're looking for HVAC work do your homework. Check out the net for all the people having issues with Goodman then buy something else more reliable like American Standard or Trane. I wish I did.

Original review: June 29, 2018

We purchased a brand new Goodman residential air condition two years ago. We have had it repaired seven times. It has cost more on labor than we paid for the unit. It has been a nightmare. Currently not running with a heat index of 115 and three puppies who are suffering. Would not recommend this unit to anyone.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I selected a Goodman 5-ton heat pump unit with a variable speed fan system in 2011 for a large insulated shop that I own. It was installed by a licensed installer that also is a dealer for Goodman and also does commercial installations for McDonald's, Burger King, etc. 3.5 years later in 2015, the evaporator coils failed. It was a leak deep inside the coils. Pure manufacturing defect. Goodman warrantied the coils, but of course not the $800 in installation and refrigerant costs. Roll forward 3.5 more years and the evaporator coils failed again. Goodman won't replace them, even though it is CLEARLY a manufacturing defect, because replacement coils only have a 1-year warranty. Hmmm. I wonder why that is? Their warranty speaks volumes on what they think of the quality of their product. Customer support tried to help me, but their hands were tied.

They did try to blame the installer and that it "could have been" an improper installation issue. Again, the leak is deep inside the coil array. It seems that the coils are manufactured in such a way that they are rubbing on each other inside the array. Goodman won't admit it, but they know they have an issue when they only offer a 1-year warranty on the replacement coils. That being said, I'm driving into Austin today to pick up a new set of replacement coils for $700. I'll be forking over another $500+ for installation and refrigerant. If they fail again, I will happily pay whatever it takes to completely replace the Goodman. I own 7 other properties with different brand heat-pump HVAC systems.

The American Standard on my home (11 years old) and the Bryant (5 years old) on a rental house have performed flawlessly. BTW, I have an Electrical Engineering degree with 33 years experience working for a manufacturing company in customer support and development. I know bad product, bad warranties, and bad customer support when I see it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Goodman compressor just went out and had to be replaced. Original paperwork listed a 99 year warranty on compressor. The company that installed it in 2007 is no longer in business, and when I contacted Goodman, they said the warranty was through that company, not them. Sounds like Goodman doesn't stand behind their product!!? Talked with another Goodman supplier and they also suggested contacting Goodman directly. Will NOT recommend them at all. Anyone have suggestions on what else to try to help get financial relief?

Original review: June 20, 2018

So we went with a Goodman Heating and AC unit for our house. We have had nothing but problems with the unit for the past 3 years (the unit is 4 years old). The total in repairs is almost as much as we have in the unit. I would not buy a Goodman again. When we asked Goodman to help us get the unit replaced, all they wanted to do was give a $300 discount off a $3500 unit. Wow. I think I have learned my lesson with them. We will now have the Goodman unit replaced with a better quality unit from another competitor. Very disappointed.

Original review: June 20, 2018

This unit was installed almost 4 years ago - brand new unit. The coil needs to be replaced. When they do the repair, I will lose all of the freon in the system. The freon is not covered under the warranty and it doesn't matter that the reason I am having to replace the freon is due to a mechanical problem. I have to absorb the cost to replace freon, service call and labor to replace coil out of even though I have a warranty to go with the unit. It is a $1200 repair bill for a product under warranty. When I spoke with Kristin from Goodman she informed me that Goodman can't help because they only cover the parts and the reason they only cover the parts is because they don't install any of the units. It makes no sense that I need to pay to replace the freon that is lost due to a mechanical issue. I will never recommend Goodman to my friends.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have a Goodman AC unit that is barely 2 years old. Back in November 2017 my coil went bad and lost all coolant. Had to wait almost 2 months for a new coil since it was on backorder. The new coil was installed in January of 2018. Roughly a month later, the float switch died and had to be replaced. A week or two later, the blower died. This also had to be replaced. It is now June of 2018 and the six months old coil is leaking AGAIN! It will cost around 800 dollars to fix AGAIN! Since both coils failed and caused the air handler to freeze up, I now have water damage in the air handler cabinet. Mold is now growing and had to be removed. The air handler cabinet will have to be replaced as well since the insulation is now damaged. With this new repair, I will be $2,000 dollars in the hole on a 2 year old system.

Goodman seems like they have poor quality control for their systems and refuse to help. I called the manufacturer and they blame the installation company and to contact the distributor about any complaints. Since the parts keep failing, I would say it's the manufacturers fault, not an installation company or distributor. They also have poor customer service. The person I called was Debbie. She was very rude and not helpful at all. She seemed like she didn't want to hear my complaint and not help me. She told us to call the distributor and that was it.

With poor quality control and poor customer service, I would have to say this is, by far the worst company I have had to deal with and never will again. Reading all the reviews on here, I am starting to consider legal action against GOODMAN. There has to be some laws protecting consumers against such practices that GOODMAN conducts.

Original review: May 21, 2018

This unit was installed 16 months ago- brand new unit. The Freon line rubbed against another line due to the horrible design of the unit and caused all of my Freon to leak out of the unit. Which, I had to replace out of pocket- even though I purchased a warranty to go with the unit. When I spoke with Caroline from Amana (Goodman) she informed me that the defect had nothing to do with the unit itself, but that the defect comes from poor installation.

I have seen the design of the inside of this unit, and it absolutely came from the manufacturer defective. This is even a known issue, and when I told her that I was aware of it, and the class action suit brought against them, she repeated again that this was due to an error from the installer. Even though- Goodman changed out the design of this particular model sometime after I purchased it.

Goodman Manufacturing expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Goodman Manufacturing has been building air conditioning and heating equipment since 1982. The units are sold to homeowners by independent contractors across the country. As a member of the Daikin Group, they also sell Daikin HVAC systems commercially.

• Affordable: One of Harold Goodman’s priorities was to offer reliable heating and cooling solutions that were affordable for everyone. To that end, Goodman has spent the past three decades focused on manufacturing products that are reliable and dependable instead of spending their money on expensive marketing campaigns.

• Financing: Goodman offers several financing options for consumers with good credit to make their home comfort system more affordable. Financing options include low monthly payments, low-interest rates and no down payment.

• Online energy calculator: Using your address to calculate average weather, fuel types and seasonal energy usage, Goodman’s online energy calculator helps you find your ideal air conditioning system.

• Ductless and central: Goodman offers both central and ductless air conditioning, making them a great option for homeowners with medium to large sized homes with or without ductwork in place.

• State rebates and incentives database: Use the interactive map on Goodman’s website to find out what rebates and incentives are current in your state.

• Best for: owners of medium to large sized homes who want either a central or ductless split air conditioning system.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs