1.18/5
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

248 Goodman Manufacturing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Like everyone else my coil started leaking. They could not find the leak last year when it would of been under warranty for the part. This year it is just outside the five-year warranty and they were able to identify the large leak. Goodman customer service was worthless. These coils should be recalled! Will never buy a Goodman product again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

With our new home was installed an Amana & Goodman Heat Pump. We have been in the house for just under four years now. We got news today that the Goodman Heat Pump coil has a leak and it will cost $ 625.00 in labor and recharge of the system. The part is covered but not labor to replace or the front to recharge the system. Not what we expected in a new home. Sadly other reviews indicate further problems with Goodman units so I am now contemplating replacement rather than keep getting stiffed by an uncaring company and sleazy policies.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I had a 4 ton Goodman home air conditioner installed less than 5 years ago. The evaporator coil has already started leaking and is being replaced as I write this review. $625 to replace the coil and $75 handling fee from parts warehouse. My service tech tells me I was lucky to get 5 years and that he replaces these coils frequently. He found the leak in 1 minute. I called Goodman (877-254-4729) and they denied problems with their units and did not offer any compensation. Then I got on this website and read the reviews and got even more depressed. I'll never buy another Goodman (or Amana because I understand they use the same coil) and be sure to tell my story as often as possible.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This unit is less than 3 years old. Within the first few months of install a coil went bad. Costing labor and coolant. They gave a new part but refused to do anything else. Then the 2nd cool has a leak a little over a year later apparently. Kevin ** sold the unit to my installer who is a dealer. He made it right out of pocket. Then in early June, the compressor went out. I had called Kevin once about the 2nd coil issue. He said he couldn't deal with me the homeowner. So here we go again jumping through hoops. Now it's the compressor. That will be 3 times I have bought coolant and twice a complete loss plus labor etc.. Not to mention I had to go buy a window unit just to make it manageable (400.00) in the main area of the house. Ferguson has went down and Kevin ** is a guy you don't want representing your company unless you want it to lose business.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We brought a Goodman air-condition and it the compressor went within 3 years. Contacted Goodman, experience runaround, and was told to expect a call back. One of the worst companies I have dealt with. Out of thousands of dollars, unit shall have lasted much longer. Sad she companies don't stand behind their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?

Original review: July 24, 2018

Well the Goodman HVAC unit is 3 years old and 2 coils down and now a compressor. These are clearly pieces of junk. Do not buy them. It's a shame that even with a parts warranty, I will have more money in labor in 3 years than the unit cost me to begin with. Not to mention burning up in the heat of summer. Junk Period!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Have had our unit in CA, for less than 1 year. The compressor just went out and am now being told that the manufacturer won't allow the parts to be stored. It shouldn't fail within a year anyway, but there is always a certain percentage of failure in anything mechanical. How you deal with that is key, and withholding parts is unacceptable.

Original review: July 17, 2018

This is the second coil I have had a put in the Goodman unit in 8 years. Even though they have a 10 year warranty having your AC go down for a week in Florida is horrific and it's just not the coil. We've had compressor issues. We've had for 5 service calls and this was a brand new unit in 2011. I can see why they had a class action lawsuit on their product.

Original review: July 14, 2018

This unit (Goodman GPH1448H1 Heat Pump) is worthless, cheaply made, tinny, extremely noisy and inefficient. It is outrageously noisy and Goodman customer service doesn't give a damn about it. The structure of the unit is made of flimsy material and vibrates loudly every time it starts and runs. Goodman Mfg offers NO solution to correct the noise and even denies there are problems despite NUMEROUS online and YouTube comments. This unit should NOT be sold. It is too cheaply made and of extremely poor quality. Do NOT waste money on Goodman products.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Bought Goodman. Never again. 2 burnt blower motors and now a defective evaporator coil and on top of that my installer said it’s all warrantied through Goodman for 10 years but now Goodman says they will not warranty the units for 10 years; only 5 because a form was not filed within 90 days from install. This is bull. It’s because they are in a class action lawsuit about having lot and lots of defective coils and so they're trying to get out of covering their 10 year warranty on a technicality and because they know their stuff will only last for 5 year and now turning the blame on homeowners for their installing company negligence in not filing their paperwork timely by saying, "Oh that’s the homeowners' responsibility to file the warranty paperwork and if they don’t we will penalize them for our defective products."

Let’s face it. Paperwork or not it should not affect the warranty. If their stuff was built right from the beginning and they felt a 10 year warranty was proper then filing a form should not matter. It does not change the MFG date or the install date or the way they make their products. They have not heard the last from me. This is just a start.

Buy Trane not Goodman and save your self lots of headaches. Dealing with Goodman’s customers service is a joke just a headache. I’m not asking for labor charges or the 10 lbs of Freon that was lost due to their defective coils just to stand behind their 10 year policy and provide the parts to replace their known bad inferior parts for the 10 year period they promised. If you're looking for HVAC work do your homework. Check out the net for all the people having issues with Goodman then buy something else more reliable like American Standard or Trane. I wish I did.

Original review: June 29, 2018

We purchased a brand new Goodman residential air condition two years ago. We have had it repaired seven times. It has cost more on labor than we paid for the unit. It has been a nightmare. Currently not running with a heat index of 115 and three puppies who are suffering. Would not recommend this unit to anyone.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I selected a Goodman 5-ton heat pump unit with a variable speed fan system in 2011 for a large insulated shop that I own. It was installed by a licensed installer that also is a dealer for Goodman and also does commercial installations for McDonald's, Burger King, etc. 3.5 years later in 2015, the evaporator coils failed. It was a leak deep inside the coils. Pure manufacturing defect. Goodman warrantied the coils, but of course not the $800 in installation and refrigerant costs. Roll forward 3.5 more years and the evaporator coils failed again. Goodman won't replace them, even though it is CLEARLY a manufacturing defect, because replacement coils only have a 1-year warranty. Hmmm. I wonder why that is? Their warranty speaks volumes on what they think of the quality of their product. Customer support tried to help me, but their hands were tied.

They did try to blame the installer and that it "could have been" an improper installation issue. Again, the leak is deep inside the coil array. It seems that the coils are manufactured in such a way that they are rubbing on each other inside the array. Goodman won't admit it, but they know they have an issue when they only offer a 1-year warranty on the replacement coils. That being said, I'm driving into Austin today to pick up a new set of replacement coils for $700. I'll be forking over another $500+ for installation and refrigerant. If they fail again, I will happily pay whatever it takes to completely replace the Goodman. I own 7 other properties with different brand heat-pump HVAC systems.

The American Standard on my home (11 years old) and the Bryant (5 years old) on a rental house have performed flawlessly. BTW, I have an Electrical Engineering degree with 33 years experience working for a manufacturing company in customer support and development. I know bad product, bad warranties, and bad customer support when I see it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Goodman compressor just went out and had to be replaced. Original paperwork listed a 99 year warranty on compressor. The company that installed it in 2007 is no longer in business, and when I contacted Goodman, they said the warranty was through that company, not them. Sounds like Goodman doesn't stand behind their product!!? Talked with another Goodman supplier and they also suggested contacting Goodman directly. Will NOT recommend them at all. Anyone have suggestions on what else to try to help get financial relief?

Original review: June 20, 2018

So we went with a Goodman Heating and AC unit for our house. We have had nothing but problems with the unit for the past 3 years (the unit is 4 years old). The total in repairs is almost as much as we have in the unit. I would not buy a Goodman again. When we asked Goodman to help us get the unit replaced, all they wanted to do was give a $300 discount off a $3500 unit. Wow. I think I have learned my lesson with them. We will now have the Goodman unit replaced with a better quality unit from another competitor. Very disappointed.

Original review: June 20, 2018

This unit was installed almost 4 years ago - brand new unit. The coil needs to be replaced. When they do the repair, I will lose all of the freon in the system. The freon is not covered under the warranty and it doesn't matter that the reason I am having to replace the freon is due to a mechanical problem. I have to absorb the cost to replace freon, service call and labor to replace coil out of even though I have a warranty to go with the unit. It is a $1200 repair bill for a product under warranty. When I spoke with Kristin from Goodman she informed me that Goodman can't help because they only cover the parts and the reason they only cover the parts is because they don't install any of the units. It makes no sense that I need to pay to replace the freon that is lost due to a mechanical issue. I will never recommend Goodman to my friends.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have a Goodman AC unit that is barely 2 years old. Back in November 2017 my coil went bad and lost all coolant. Had to wait almost 2 months for a new coil since it was on backorder. The new coil was installed in January of 2018. Roughly a month later, the float switch died and had to be replaced. A week or two later, the blower died. This also had to be replaced. It is now June of 2018 and the six months old coil is leaking AGAIN! It will cost around 800 dollars to fix AGAIN! Since both coils failed and caused the air handler to freeze up, I now have water damage in the air handler cabinet. Mold is now growing and had to be removed. The air handler cabinet will have to be replaced as well since the insulation is now damaged. With this new repair, I will be $2,000 dollars in the hole on a 2 year old system.

Goodman seems like they have poor quality control for their systems and refuse to help. I called the manufacturer and they blame the installation company and to contact the distributor about any complaints. Since the parts keep failing, I would say it's the manufacturers fault, not an installation company or distributor. They also have poor customer service. The person I called was Debbie. She was very rude and not helpful at all. She seemed like she didn't want to hear my complaint and not help me. She told us to call the distributor and that was it.

With poor quality control and poor customer service, I would have to say this is, by far the worst company I have had to deal with and never will again. Reading all the reviews on here, I am starting to consider legal action against GOODMAN. There has to be some laws protecting consumers against such practices that GOODMAN conducts.

Original review: May 21, 2018

This unit was installed 16 months ago- brand new unit. The Freon line rubbed against another line due to the horrible design of the unit and caused all of my Freon to leak out of the unit. Which, I had to replace out of pocket- even though I purchased a warranty to go with the unit. When I spoke with Caroline from Amana (Goodman) she informed me that the defect had nothing to do with the unit itself, but that the defect comes from poor installation.

I have seen the design of the inside of this unit, and it absolutely came from the manufacturer defective. This is even a known issue, and when I told her that I was aware of it, and the class action suit brought against them, she repeated again that this was due to an error from the installer. Even though- Goodman changed out the design of this particular model sometime after I purchased it.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Goodman is not so good. We are new homeowners who luckily purchased a home warranty, and so repair was covered at least! Turns out this Goodman Split System Model GSH130301... was already replaced at tail end of the 5 year warranty. This replacement unit is under six years old, and been serviced for an Evaporator leak, freon replacement just 9.5 months ago, and today a capacitor was replaced as well as freon leak replacement... As it was totally empty. Based on our limited experience and other reviews, glad we purchased the coverage. Suggest if you are purchasing an existing home with a Goodman Split System unit, to do the same. Will be saving our pennies to replace this system after our first year here.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Bought my unit 3 years ago, last year the motor went out, this year the coil is bad. We live in AZ, and the parts not in stock, haven't had A/C for over 2 weeks now, I do not recommend Goodman. Great the parts are warrantied but not the labor so all the labor has come out my pocket and that's not counting the inconvenience of having no A/C for days at a time, this year no A/C for over 2 weeks just waiting on the part to come in. Ridiculous. I thought there was a Lemon Law if the unit is bad it gets replaced. This unit is was suppose to be reliable, nope just affordable but not really as labor comes out of your pocket.

Never offered an Extended Warranty otherwise I would have bought like I do on all of my other appliances etc. Thanks Goodman for the poor quality and unreliability and slow service. Struggling single mothers I feel for you, or the elderly on fix incomes, we expect things to work as they should when purchased new, if not make it right and stand behind your brand. Not a happy customer, money and a lot of my time wasted on an unreliable product.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Unit GPH1560M41AC: My coils are bad in my unit. Unfortunately for me my warranty expired on 11/26/17 and since I haven't had my air on since November I did not know I had any issues with the air. I am now about 4 months out of my warranty. I called Goodman thinking that they may be willing to offer a concession or discount to me so I would not have to pay the full price of $854 for the part to replace. I explained that I have always been a loyal Goodman customer. The last 3 units I have purchased have been Goodman.

Goodman is unwilling to assist with anything, I figured that they may at least offer a concession or discount off of the part being just 4 months out of warranty as most appliance companies usually do. Goodman had a opportunity to keep a loyal customer but now they have totally lost one. I should not be having an issue with a unit that is barely 5 years old and Goodman should try to take better care of their customers. I won't ever buy a Goodman or any brand associated with Goodman again... they just lost a loyal customer.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Had the Goodman DSXC18 AC condenser installed with a matching Variable speed air handler and after research and vetting a qualified installer I am very happy with the value, efficiency, overall performance of the Goodman product. Would suggest this product to anyone looking for a great value, warranty, and performance. (As long as they have a qualified technician installing the product).

Original review: April 10, 2018

I purchased the Goodman 16 SEER compressor unit. The very first time that I turned it on, it would not run. Doesn't hold refrigerant. I contacted the company, and they said that if I hire a company to fix it, they will supply any faulty parts, but they will not cover any labor. However, the unit is BRAND NEW and just installed and never run. This is extremely bad quality control in manufacturing quality control and very callous customer service.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Heat pump 4 years old - spent 2500$ in repairs already. The very first year, we had to replace the condenser, the second year, the coils, the third year we have had to replace the tubing soldering. The parts are warranty but the labor is not, it has costs us 800 to 900 dollars a year. We have called Goodman and they say, the parts are under warranty but we are responsible for the labor to repair these parts. I have asked that extend our warranty or replace the unit. I can get no help. There is no logical reason for the major items in a brand new unit purchased in 2013 have so many bad parts. Customer service is HORRIBLE, no help at all. Registered 4/9/13, Serial #1210586748, Model gph1348h41, Dealers name Connell's heating and A/C.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Replaced my outside AC unit in 2014. Original unit lasted 15 years. Inside unit still going at 20 years with regular cleaning. Regular AC guy, John **, recommended a Goodman outside unit. In 2016 compressor leaks and John replaces it under warranty charging me labor at $75 per hour for 14 hours to pick up and install (ripoff). In 2017, the warranted replacement compressor is leaking. Replaced under warranty and same install cost. I had to use John as he had purchased the unit and could only do the warranty. Never again will I fall into this trap. The outside unit has now cost me $4500. I could have replaced the whole system with a reliable system for that expense, which I have to do now in 2018.

So after just shy of 4 years a 4 ton a/c and heating outside unit needed service and Freon added two times (2016 and 2017). The tech I called out today showed me oil leaking from the condenser too. The freon was gone. At least with a whole new unit I will switch from R22 to R14 freon. So no more C & J Repairs and Services Inc to service my AC and never again a Goodman AC unit.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Had my evap coil replaced in 2015 because the refrigerant leaked out. In 2017, the replacement coil was leaking. The compressor also crapped out. Had to use portable AC units until now when I was able to finally get this Goodman crap replaced with Carrier. Never will buy Goodman again!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

After only 2 years, the 3 ton a/c and heating unit needed service and Freon added. Now, after only 10 months, the unit once again is not cooling. The initial diagnosis was that it needed more freon, not it needs a new condenser. I will never, ever buy another Goodman and if you are smart, neither should you. A $4000 unit should at least give you carefree service for 5 years more. I am going to contact Goodman and see what they have to offer.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I purchased a Goodman ductless mini split heat pump. It was installed by a professional installer. The compressor stopped working after about 5 years and 2 months. Assuming the unit had a 10 year warranty, I contacted the company. Upon doing so, the customer seemed to enjoy telling me that the unit only had a 5 year warranty. I then attempted to contact a company to repair the unit, and found it difficult to find a company that worked on the Goodman brand. I was advised that Goodman was not a good unit and it would be less expensive to replace it with a Mitsubishi unit, which I intend to do. I will never do business with Goodman again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought two Goodman sir conditioner units in 2011 and 2014 for two separate townhouses. After only three years on each unit - coils needed to be replaced. Cost $700 each time. Wrote to Goodman and they would not reimburse. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON GOODMAN!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I got my 3 ton 14 seer heat pump unit 2010. Had to have leak repair in 2012 and refill gas. Have had to add gas every year since. I was told by two technicians I had a leak in my coil. They have been unable to find a coil. Now my compressor is shot. They can find a compressor but not coil. I still have two years left on warranty but can't get coil.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

When this unit Goodman heat pump model GPH144841AC was about one year old it developed a major leak causing all the refrigerant to escape. It cost $500 to have someone repair the faulty factory solder joint and recharge it. Since I installed the unit myself Goodman will not honor any warranty. It is a self contained unit that I did not even open up so there was no way I could have damaged the inside of the unit. About two years later the main power relay failed and I had to replace it.

This past Spring, 2017, I found it low on refrigerant and I added about 3 pounds and it worked correctly up until a few days ago even cycling off during some 28 degree weather (so it had refrigerant then). Yesterday I noticed it was running on emergency heat and checked it this morning. Not a pound of pressure. Apparently the small leak became a big leak. Again since it is a self contained unit it must be a factory fault. I'm hoping it is something that can be easily fixed, but I'm going to start saving for a replacement and it sure will not be a Goodman unit. They are junk.

Goodman Manufacturing expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Goodman Manufacturing has been building air conditioning and heating equipment since 1982. The units are sold to homeowners by independent contractors across the country. As a member of the Daikin Group, they also sell Daikin HVAC systems commercially.

• Affordable: One of Harold Goodman’s priorities was to offer reliable heating and cooling solutions that were affordable for everyone. To that end, Goodman has spent the past three decades focused on manufacturing products that are reliable and dependable instead of spending their money on expensive marketing campaigns.

• Financing: Goodman offers several financing options for consumers with good credit to make their home comfort system more affordable. Financing options include low monthly payments, low-interest rates and no down payment.

• Online energy calculator: Using your address to calculate average weather, fuel types and seasonal energy usage, Goodman’s online energy calculator helps you find your ideal air conditioning system.

• Ductless and central: Goodman offers both central and ductless air conditioning, making them a great option for homeowners with medium to large sized homes with or without ductwork in place.

• State rebates and incentives database: Use the interactive map on Goodman’s website to find out what rebates and incentives are current in your state.

• Best for: owners of medium to large sized homes who want either a central or ductless split air conditioning system.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Houston
TX
www.goodmanmfg.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business