Goodman Manufacturing

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a Goodman (GPG153609041AD) unit installed December 2010. Since then I have had to replace a draft motor, ignition board, and now the evaporator coil is leaking and needs to be replaced. All in I will spend more than $4,000 in repairs on a unit that cost me $6,800 to install! Goodman would not help. Given all comments online, the evaporator coil at least is a problem that has consistently come up. After speaking with customer service, they would not offer any help at all. I recommend that no one use Goodman units ever. I will replace mine as soon as I am able to do so.

I purchased the "extended warranty" through our local One Hour Heating and Air (now out of business). This covered a total replacement installation in 2009 of: a Furnace/Coil downstairs; heat pump/air handler unit upstairs; two outdoor units. Evaporator coil sprung a leak last week and I checked my warranty online and on the phone w/ Goodman and they confirmed my coverage for parts and labor. Called one of their authorized "Asure" techs and he came out and told me the coil wasn't covered.

Everything (all serial numbers for furnace, heat pump/air handler, two outdoor units) was covered and registered EXCEPT, they had "no record" of the serial number for the coil. They all start with similar #s (0905, 1001) yet that one serial number for the coil isn't among what they have. I'm beyond angry, especially after reading that that's the part that may have been defective upon install!! *sigh* They said the only recourse I had was to present them with a RECEIPT from 2009 showing that coil on there! After confirming the furnace was covered online, I didn't even consider keeping the receipt. Lesson learned there, I suppose. I will be calling them back today and try and dig a bit deeper. This is ridiculous.

Replaced old unit in 2008 with Amana 5 ton. So far replaced coil in upper unit (Which was supposed to be recalled 2 years after unit was installed. No contract by manufacturer). Replaced fan in upper unit twice, which is down again and replaced compressor three times in a row in order to get a good one along with valve motherboard and comfort control. All at my cost because company that installed unit went under and no contacts was made to me to let us know this unit isn't even 10 years old. Totally never buying a unit from Amana or Goodman again!

Our Amana heat pump started breaking down after 5 years. First it was a leak, then coil, condenser then the other coil and another 5-6 leaks repaired. All of these on separate occasions & all in an 8 month period. Customer service wasn't any help either! I will never purchase Goodman Mfg. brand in the future!

I purchased a Goodman heat pump GPH1360H41BC (sn: 1208655671) in 2012 from a local dealer by my AC tech. It worked ok at first except for low freon. This year I began having problems. First a capacitor, then the fan motor. A month later I was told the coil had a leak and tech replaced 5 lbs freon at $30/lb plus labor. I was quoted 11 lbs of freon at $30/lb plus 3 hrs labor for a total of about $900 for a new coil. Coil was under warranty but labor and freon isn't. Those are the biggest cost on the problem. Why should we have to pay for freon that escaped as a result of a faulty coil?

A week later the new coil arrived and will be installed tomorrow. Now I find out there are many problems with Goodman products. I am a widow on social security and cannot afford costly repair bills. My tech tells me they do not install these anymore. I'm also afraid that my son who purchased one a year or so ago will also start having problems. Made in China products are no good. Please stop selling these.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Goodman Manufacturing?

Amana package unit is not old. 2014 I think. Evaporator coil has had constant leaks. I've already had 3 prior service calls on this unit, the fan motor and now the compressor has gone bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It there was a zero or lower, that is what I would rate this unit.

I bought a 15 seer heat pump from Goodman Manufacturing. This is my worst mistake ever, less than 5 years evaporator coil started leaking out Freon. 2 pounds to start with, then 1 year later 5 pounds. Unless you like spending enormous amounts of money on Freon ($45 per pound), and $75 per hour labor, do not buy a goodman heat pump or air conditioner. The amount of rust around the evaporator coil is unbelievable. Their warranty is a ** warranty. The warranty is only as good as the product, and the product is only as good as the warranty. Please do some research and don’t buy goodman products. I thought it said made in America. It's made with defective parts, please look at all their negative reviews. I had a Rheem that lasted 31 years and a carrier 33 years.

Unit is barely 6 years old. Evaporator coil has a leak. Goodman said unit wasn't registered and I don't have a record that I registered online so it's my problem. I looked online and saw there was a class action lawsuit but it was dismissed? I've already had 2 prior service calls on this Goodman. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I had my AC guy come over and he discovered a leaky coil, which is only 13 months old. After calling Goodman in Winter Haven FL they discovered this unit is out of stock across the country and on backorder? Now this seems a bit odd since apparently their coils go bad often. We have to sit and wait without AC in the Florida Sun for them to start manufacturing them and then ship to local warehouse. Maybe 2+ weeks I am being told.

AC replaced September 2013 with a brand new Amana/Goodman ASZC18. Four service calls in the last 3 1/2 years and $853 in repair charges. Evaporator coil failed this week after only 3 1/2 years causing refrigerant to leak. New evaporator coil is covered by warranty but not the $400 labor charge. I have since found out that this was a problem for the company on units sold between 2009 and 2011 and there is a class action lawsuit in progress. I bought my unit in 2013, so apparently this is still a problem.

People buy Amana thinking that it has the best warranty (10 year for units, lifetime for compressors) on the market. But like so many others, our home builders (in 2009) didn't give us any registration papers, or bother to register the product themselves... So the warranty is irrelevant after just 5 years. I thought this was an illegal practice, to require registration for promised warranty coverage, but turns out it's only illegal in California. Our AC unit failed promptly after first 5-year period expired, and the repairs have been costly. Never going to buy Amana/Goodman again, not unless they change this predatory warranty policy. This company's extended warranty is a sham and a hustle. I hope that someone with more time on their hands brings a class-action suit.

We bought a home in 2011. The home was built in 2008/2009 with a Goodman unit. No other person ever lived in our brand new home. Last year the nightmare started when we had a company to come out to replace a part. However we continue to have a bad odor coming from the air of the air condition that smelled like dirty socks. I had started getting bad sinus and my husband woke up with headache every morning. So we called to have the entire system check last week. The company found a lot of rust and molded inside the unit and a bad coil. Many of my neighbors have replaced the coils in their system as well. Needless to say we had to replace the entire system the next day (Friday, March 31, 2017). We now have a Carrier and clean air.

Brought a unit from Goodman on 3/7/17. Installed the unit for my customer on 3/9/17. On 3/11/17 they had to evacuate from their home because of the smell because the heat exchanger is bad. Also the children got sick and the parents got headaches and had them for 3 days. Goodman said they couldn't give us a new heater and the homeowner no longer wants this furnace in their home. They do not want no tech from Goodman at their home. They want to be reimbursed. The Manager Michael ** was the most unsympathetic person I dealt with in my life. Instead of just reimbursing the homeowner he is making it difficult for them. He wants us to pay a tech from Goodman to deem it bad when we purchase the unit not even a week ago.

I will never recommend Goodman to any of my customers and homeowners and I have been doing heating for over 25 years and I know what I am talking about. Do not purchase a heater from Goodman. They didn't care about children getting sick and they had the homeowners without heat for 5 days and will not reimburse them with their money. I am appalled they only care about one thing taking money from customers. They didn't try to help at all. You will never see our business again. I also suggest to you Michael ** learn how to be a manager the way you handle this situation is uncalled for.

I own several houses and have had several Goodman HVAC systems (mainly heat pumps) installed. It's turning out to be a nightmare; chickens are coming home to roost! It's the same thing on nearly all of them--- leaking coils! After reading all these other reviews I am very worried!

3 TON Amana AC cost $6875!!! (this is a small ac) The compressor went out after 2 years. Date of purchase 2/25/14. Date replaced 6/22/16. This is for a small footage upstairs split level - rarely used. It's warranted for 10 years - but I had to pay $850 labor to replace it. They replaced with a Goodman, which is supposedly same manufacturer. One year later - it has gone out. Maybe they will replace it... but this product is far inferior and as costly as the top of the line Trane, Carrier or American Standard. Extreme hassle to replace even though it's warranted.

Circuit board sensor controlling defrost cycle failed and parts were ordered on a Tuesday for expedited delivery. A week later parts had not arrived and all Goodman would tell the repair company was that it didn't ship until Thursday. They had no explanation of why there was a delay in shipping, they had no way of tracking the shipment, they couldn't even say how it was shipped. After 8 days, they simply didn't care when or if it arrived. Parts have been reordered, but Goodman is no longer on my list for replacement consideration.

I just purchased a Goodman 3 ton 16 seer packaged unit. 9-10-16. It is in a weekend home. The unit shut down after just two days. A local dealer (Mills AC) sent out a tech. He told me that he was 100% positive the circuit board had failed. New one was installed and unit still does not work. Now they want me to pay them to come out again and Goodman has weaseled out of their warranty. This by far the worst pile of junk I have ever purchased and the Goodman service is the worst and Mills AC has no clue as to what they are doing. AVOID GOODMAN, PURE JUNK!!!

In August of 2016 we had an A/C system failure, and decided to have a Goodman complete system with gas furnace installed. Not only was the overall cost much lower than some competitors, both A/C and heat have performed at a very high level from day one. Our home has less humidity, is comfortable, and we also enjoy the fan speed settings. The entire system is powerful and efficient, and we are looking forward to many years of comfort with it in our home.

I bought a Goodman M acvolt8/ 208/233 unit when I bought my module home Feb 2015. This came as a package deal. I have had to have a local authorized dealer out three times because the air conditioner will not work. Leak found at filter dryer and piston meter device. There is a clog in the system in the area of the clog. The unit was completely frozen. There was no Freon in the system. This system is LESS than two years old. The repairman also noted that the ductwork was not the proper size for the unit we have. I need to have the unit completely replaced and have the proper ductwork put in or I will continue to have this problem. Since the AC/HEATING unit came as a package deal through Taylor Made Homes and Destiny manufacturer I had no choice in what company they used.

I just got my furnace 2 years ago and the air went out, and now the furnace is not working. I am a senior citizen with 2 grandkids living with me. I am now using space heaters trying to keep the family warm during this cold time. We live in STL and I am willing to pay for the part but I don't see where you have the part in stock, B1282628S. What a Christmas! Can you help me?

So after reading good reviews and hearing good things about Goodman, I decided to fork out the money and pay to have a brand new Goodman heat pump packaged unit installed before winter gets here. Well needless to say that I'd much rather have my 13 year old unit back in. The HVAC service company installed a new 3-Ton Packed heat Pump in on the 23rd of November. It's been almost two weeks and already I'm very disappointed in this unit. Yes it may be a little bit quieter but it definitely does not get as warm as my York did. The funny thing is that they are both the same size.

I'm an engineer so I took my infrared thermal gun along with my Fluke Thermometer to record over a two day period what the min., avg.,and max. temps coming out the ducts were. This past weekend the outside air temp was around 42-45 deg. F.. This isn't all that cold outside but needless to say that having my thermostat left on 73 all weekend left for some warm to even bitter air temps inside the house. My house is basically a brand new house with all new dry walls and insulation.

After recording the temps, the lowest air temp the hvac pumped out was 64.8, the average was 78.6, and finally the max. temp was 96.8. Only 96.8? That is ridiculous for it being only 42 degrees outside. My 13 year old York heat pump unit would put out at least 110-115 max in that weather. Needless to say I will never buy a Goodman again after losing all the money that I have. I'm scared to see how cold it's going to be in this house when it is 0-5 degrees and snowing outside. I'm more than likely going to have to bite the bullet on this one and buy a whole new unit from York, Trane, or even a Lennox.

Let me start out by saying I'm a HVAC business owner for 24 years and I will no longer be installing Goodman equipment. The reason is that I've needed technical help on a few jobs in the last month and the Tech Desk was the worse I've dealt with out of any manufacturer. They were short, didn't give me many things to try and after I told them what I've already tried, they were like "I don't know". I kept asking them what other things I can try and they just repeated themselves giving me no new things to try. I've always had great help with other Tech help with other brands and they always helped me figure it out. But Goodman Tech help was worthless the 4 times I dealt with them. They all must really hate their job and take it out on the Service people that call in.

I've been installing Goodman on and off since it was Janitrol. They were helpful and nice years ago. I haven't had to call in for Tech help in years and man have they changed. The most arrogant, rudest ** I've ever talked to. They all need to be fired and hire new Techs and retrain them. Otherwise this company will fall within 5 years the path they are on. I see many other 1 star reviews on here which means this company's Customer Service sucks. Wake up Goodman and if you can't see all these negative reviews, you people in corporate are the dumbest people on earth and you deserve to fail. If I owned a huge company such as Goodman and I see all these negative reviews, I would do undercover calls and find out who all the filth and garbage is within the company and fire them. A new training regimen must be enacted immediately for customer service. New management must be put in place. Out with the old and in with the new.

We switched to a Goodman furnace 8 years ago. The company we bought from were very friendly as was the installer, who did a great job. Never had any troubles at all, just changed air filters every 3-4 months. But this July 2016 the coil went bad. The coil warranty was for 5 years, so missed out. After reading these reviews I guess we were fortunate and can't complain. Still would recommend.

Several years ago I purchased a Goodman central air conditioner through a local dealer. It was supposed to be high quality with a 10 year warranty. After several years the coil developed a very small leak and had to be replaced. I tried to get Goodman to replace it, but they told me that I did not register it correctly and essentially told me to **. After some quick research, I found out there is a class action suit against Goodman for knowingly selling coils with a defective design. Many customers have been stuck with these faulty coils. STAY AWAY FROM ANY PRODUCT GOODMAN SELLS. On the Goodman website it says IN LARGE TYPE "A name you can trust." Do not believe it. I understand that any company can make design mistakes, but Goodman is a very large company that could afford to stand behind their products, but choose NOT TO. Check out the consumer reviews. Goodman is VERY LOW.

After 3 years I needed to pay $2000. In repairs. Not the first time. 2016 broke down again. Needed the same repairs. I live in Florida and would be without ac for days in August. I was homebound after a hip replacement. So disgusted that I chose to replace entire system to avoid any more open-ended repair bills. I became a widow recently and could not afford this expense. Now I'm reading the terrible reviews about Goodman ACs.

I purchased this unit from a local contractor and have had 3 problems with it since installation. I had installer fix the first issue which he told me they would not charge me for. Unit was installed horizontally in attic and installers didn't know that when unit is installed this way condensation builds up in tube which won't allow heat to start up.

Their employees are totally incompetent since they never glued PVC vent and exhaust piping through roof. Primed but never glued. Stick a piece of pipe in and that's done. Crooked coming out the roof, which I had to have repaired with the unglued pieces of pipe. I'm afraid to check and see if they at least glued the pipe that holds condensation as that will eventually leak in time if that was also improperly installed. Now I had to have flame sensor replaced and unit is only 3 years old. Goodbye to Mensers Heating and Cooling and Goodman products.

Goodman offers a 5 year warranty. Our furnace is less than 2 years old and the igniters on both of my units are failing. The service company here in Colorado Allied - through Richmond Homes stated that Goodman will not cover the replacement of theses components. Nice! The last home I will buy from Richmond and the last Goodman that I will ever own!

We had a new Goodman AC installed in 2014. The warranty covers parts only after one year. The unit developed a refrigerant leak on a factory joint right at the equalizing tube. All the refrigerant leaked out. It cost over $600 to repair the leak (labor) and replace the refrigerant. Goodman does not feel they are responsible for any of this cost because it is not a part replacement. I feel that since their part failure caused the loss of the refrigerant, they should reimburse me for same. Needless to say I would never buy another Goodman.

We purchased and registered our 3.5 ton 14 seer package unit heat pump in June 2016. Oct 2016 our air stops cooling. We call the HVAC installers and they come out and the coil is leaking. We had to have freon and are now waiting on the new coil to be delivered. A new heat pump should last more than 3 months. We will be out labor cost and cost of freon. Since Goodman knows that this is an issue they should be bending over backwards to cover all cost associated with the coils.

I purchased my home in 2006. Since 2007 I have been having an issue with the unit not working properly. Every year there was something wrong, but because I was not home often I was not able to always request a service technician. As a first time homeowner, I feel I was taken advantage of by the repair company MARK-AIR, INC, because they never submitted for warranty repair service and never advised me to look into my warranty for the issues I was having, such as the Compressor Leak I had in 2009-2010. Then the fan/motor went on the unit and MARK-AIR, INC still didn't submit for warranty repair. Instead they charged me and it took me 3 years to get the fan replaced. During this time and to date I still do not have heat or A/C!

Then MARK-AIR tells me that I am out of my warranty. I called Goodman and the lady told me to contact Consumer Affairs because Goodman could not help me. I am not just unhappy, I am disgusted with the process and the thieves. This unit was a problem from the beginning and instead of rectifying the problem, they left me with it and now I cannot get help from Goodman. Why install a broken unit and not honor the warranty? Why am I about to go into another winter with no heat? I want a resolution to this matter and for someone to contact me. I need a compressor and I am not paying $1000 for something that was broken during the warranty period.

I thought MARK-AIR would look out for the customer and use the warranty option, but they chose to dig into my empty pockets! I have spent over $2000 in repairs and excessive heat/cooling bills because the unit is faulty, not fair to the customer. The unit is garbage!! It always has a leak. It really broke after the service technician did a pressure test. Model #: CPRT-30; S/N: 0603056767, Make: GMC.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Goodman Manufacturing has been building air conditioning and heating equipment since 1982. The units are sold to homeowners by independent contractors across the country. As a member of the Daikin Group, they also sell Daikin HVAC systems commercially.

• Affordable: One of Harold Goodman’s priorities was to offer reliable heating and cooling solutions that were affordable for everyone. To that end, Goodman has spent the past three decades focused on manufacturing products that are reliable and dependable instead of spending their money on expensive marketing campaigns.
  • Financing: Goodman offers several financing options for consumers with good credit to make their home comfort system more affordable. Financing options include low monthly payments, low-interest rates and no down payment.
  • Online energy calculator: Using your address to calculate average weather, fuel types and seasonal energy usage, Goodman’s online energy calculator helps you find your ideal air conditioning system.
  • Ductless and central: Goodman offers both central and ductless air conditioning, making them a great option for homeowners with medium to large sized homes with or without ductwork in place.
  • State rebates and incentives database: Use the interactive map on Goodman’s website to find out what rebates and incentives are current in your state.
  • Best for owners of medium to large sized homes who want either a central or ductless split air conditioning system.

Compare Air Conditioners