GE Light Bulbs

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased 8 GE LED bulbs for my house. One by one within a few months they started to flicker. I rounded them all up after reading online others with the same issues. After calling GE, I was told that yes, they were having problems, to copy my receipt and the bar codes and I would get my money back. 4 months later I had not gotten my money back. I called and was told they never got anything from me, so I went online and sent a second request. After another 2 weeks, I got a letter stating my problem was 'not typical' and to send the bulbs back for a examine. 6 months ago I was told I didn't have to keep them, just the bar codes because they knew they had an issue. I feel that GE is SCAMMING me out of over $60!! I always thought GE was a reputable company but they are not. I will never ever, ever buy another GE product.

My 6-year-old was in his room last night and we heard a pop. When my wife and I arrived in the room we found the GE LED bulb exploded out of the socket all over the room. Smoke was coming out of the socket. My child was cut by the bulb and parts of the bulb melted in the carpet causing my son and myself to burn our bare feet. Ten minutes before this happened my son and I were lying on the floor under the fan light reading. We are very lucky.

My daughter and I were in the living room when the light above her exploded causing her to fall to the floor. She ended up falling on glass getting burnt through 2 pairs of Under Armour shorts and 1 pair was lined making it 3 layers of shorts!!! Her blanket ended up getting a hole burnt in it also. I'm so angry! These light bulbs are fairly new too! I hate these new halogen light bulbs, what happened to the good old days, good old bulbs!! I'm usually a chill person but when my child gets hurt and stuff get ruined I get upset. You suck GE!!

If I could give GE bulbs a zero, I would! Was talking to my two children the other night while one was sitting on the couch next to a table lamp, and the other was standing. The lamp was on. The light bulb exploded and burst glass onto the couch where my son was sitting and onto the floor by my daughter. Luckily, no one was hurt I believe due to the lamp shade perhaps shielding it from going directly out sideways. Shreds of glass did land on the couch. I couldn't help but think what would have happened if it had hit one of the kids or myself in the eye or face! It was a terrifyingly loud sound that scared us half to death. My young son is now afraid that our house will catch on fire if we have a lamp or other light on now. This NEVER should have happened! Please check your bulbs and replace them if they are GE! I included pictures of the make, etc. stamped on the bulb. GE needs to do a recall on those bulbs NOW!

My husband was sitting in the living by a lamp and the GE light bulb just exploded. Glass was all over the place from the bulb. We thought maybe we had too high of a watt in it but from the sticker on the lamp it looks like it could take up to 100W and the light bulb was only 72W. I don't have a receipt. See pictures of broken bulb, lamp with bulb broken off in the socket & label from the lamp stating that it can handle up to 100W.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

I purchase many exterior flood light bulbs for our business. I date each one when installed to keep track of usage and they are on timers as well. At 11.99 each it gets expensive over time to replace. It took GE months to finally reply after I sent an email to corporate headquarters to seek help. They finally sent coupons to replace my failed bulbs. Question is will they keep doing this. As long as they do I will purchase their bulbs. If not then I will purchase others.

Yesterday the 21st of December my mom who is elderly 71, here in Klamath Falls Oregon, had those light bulbs in your bathroom or incandescent. She had left the bathroom and turn the light switch off, went to the kitchen to make some coffee and she said it sounds like a 22 going off shotgun. Panic, she didn't know what was going on and she went into the hallway and saw a piece of glass but then she noticed that there's glass all over the bathroom.

G-Eazy wonderful light bulb head exploded and that power wasn't even on, the light was off and they still exploded five minutes after the light was turned off. Now I've read a lot of your complaints and you will have the same thing in common or light bulbs explode. GE used to be a good company but not anymore. If I knew a way to do it, it seems like every store you go to, Walmart, we have a Fred Meyer here in town, all they sell is GE so there really is no alternative. But if you go online you can find other brand names and we have a little store here in town, it doesn't sell GE. They sell those light bulbs but they're different brands.

My device, her body, is get online, get a review on other light bulbs companies that make these and boycott GE and run them out of business. Little boys and girls going to different areas of their homes. If my mom had been in the bathroom when it exploded she would have ended up in the hospital ER. All the ecology but they think they're so big for their britches. They probably want to talk to me anyways and just hang up. So I say we find other means to get these light bulbs besides GE and boycott them or run them out of business and let them know we will not tolerate things that harm our children or family members and I think you too ever reads this.

Turned the light on above the kitchen table this morning and one of the bulbs exploded!!! There was glass everywhere!! Couldn't believe there was so much glass from a small bulb. Luckily the only casualty was my cup of tea which was on the table but had someone been sat there they would have been cut by the glass. I had to remove the metal part from the fixture with a pair of pliers. This was a GE multi-use bulb, which was the only type I could find to fit the light fixture as it needs 3 small sized bulbs. However I will be now trying to find a different brand to replace, especially after reading all the reviews here. I still have the packet and these were made in Mexico. UPC no 4316876584.

I had installed some G-16-1/2 25W bulbs in the light in my bedroom. I have little information about when they were purchased, how long it lasted, etc. But I had one go out pretty quickly (mind you I had the previous 4 for about 8 years with no problems). Then a second one was starting to flicker and die. I took out the 2 bulbs and to my surprise, the bases were falling off. I was appalled by the genuine lack of quality that GE had, but to ensure that I would leave completely unsatisfied, when I went to remove a working bulb and put it in a separate spot to help balance out the light, surprise, the base separated from the bulb completely leaving the base inside the socket and 1 bulb left. Good job GE. Good job.

I replaced the bulbs in my kitchen light fixture less than 2 mos ago on Aug 8th, the day after I bought them, with these GE modified incandescent bulbs and they both blew this morning, Sept 23, 2016. They both look like the metal ends are corroded. According to the pkg, they're suppose to have a 9 year life. That should be 10.8 months, not less than 7 wks. These bulbs were made in the USA, according to the packaging. Purchased at the Walmart in Clinton AR. I still have the receipt but am unable to upload it at this time as my printer/scanner is down. What happened to GE's quality?

My table lamb almost caught fire yesterday and hence my home. When I turned it on, the bulb flickered and smoked. Thank God I was home. I turned off the lamp immediately. I do not trust GE bulbs anymore. I will never buy them again. It would be valid to reimburse me via a check. I do not want a voucher instead to buy any GE bulbs. I have zero confidence with this company. UPC #043168662499, "4 bombillas" #1340837, PC: 66249 Desc: 72A/W/H/MSP-4PK Res.#1223586, again, made in Hungary! I will also notify and warn Goodman's Hardware store in Mill Valley, Ca and Costco San Rafael, Ca. A fire danger to be sure!

I bought GE LED bulbs a couple years ago for a fixture in my bathroom that needs 5 bulbs. Not a cheap investment, but I assumed that even though GE bulbs were near the bottom of the line regarding life expectancy, if I got even close to the longevity promised I would be happy. After a year the bulbs began turning off for hours at a time and coming back on. With 5 bulbs I figured if half are out at any time I can still get by. Last night I walked in and when I turned the switch on it was like an old time camera flash went off followed by darkness. My wife and I are trying to research online and find a good LED bulb to replace these GEs with. But how can I believe any promises or reviews? Reviews on GEs claim they last 13 years and I have 5 that I bought that haven't lasted 2!!! I'm just frustrated.

I've had the same experience as others who have written about the GE bulbs. Ours were made in China. They exploded in different rooms at different times, both times (and now the last time we hope since we will never buy these again!) sending shards of glass flying everywhere and leaving a burning odor. When did light bulbs start to explode? What is going on and why is the selling of these bulbs allowed at all?

I like the light the bulbs give off but most of the bulbs burn out in a few months. It's irritating having to purchase and replace the bulbs so often. GE must purposely manufacture the bulbs this way because they could easily manufacture bulbs that last much longer.

My hallway light bulb by my bathroom just exploded sending little shards of glass everywhere!!! My 4 year old son could've been there. My sixteen year old son was in the kitchen right next to the hallway. I am extremely pissed. My kids could've been hurt!!! I'm sweeping constantly to make sure glass doesn't get in our feet! I want answers! This could've been a fire in my house!

Back in October of 2015 I submitted a review about a bulb blowing up in our bedroom fixture. Yesterday on 6/13/16 another one blew up in our bathroom fixture right after my son turned the lights on. I thought the first time might be an isolated incident but obviously there is a real manufacturing problem. I am going to replace these bulbs today to avoid any other problems.

I have purchased over 20 of the GE yellow bug bulbs in the past week to install in the front and rear porches at my house. Overnight several of the 60 Watt GE yellow lights have burned out, they were the ones manufactured in Hungary, bought at Walmart and ACE hardware. The bulbs looked like they were re-soldered and re-packaged as new bulbs, very poor quality. I would expect much better quality from GE. If you experience the same problem, you can call 1-800-435-4448 and they might be able to issue vouchers to get new ones.

I purchased two 4 packs of these bulbs at Walmart in Alliance Ohio and all 4 in first pack when screwed in lamp popped and blew. The bulbs in second pack all worked. The # on sleeve is PC:94531 Desc:53AWHMSP4/12-USA RES.#1235101. Thank you for your attention on this matter as we were very disappointed as we have bought GE bulbs for a long time!

I've been purchasing these bulbs since the incandescent ones were banned. The only problem I've had up until now was an extremely short life (from one to four weeks at most). Today I had one explode while it was on. It had been on for about an hour and it was about 2 weeks old. Totally terrifying experience. There was glass on every surface of my bathroom. No warning... it just popped and exploded. Luckily I wasn't standing directly under it at the time or I surely would have been injured. After reading these reviews, I see that this has happened to quite a few people and it's only a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or loses their home because of these faulty bulbs. Something needs to be done.

We purchased 9 of these LED lamps to replace the can lights in our kitchen. They worked fine for a couple of days then started going on and off intermittently. I thought it was just two or three of them at first but after moving them to different locations in the house and over time, all of them did the same thing. It will drive you crazy as they will be going on and off at random times so you cannot read or watch TV, so they are definitely defective. This was during the winter time so it is not a heat problem, just defective products.

The light bulb caught fire. If I had not been present, my pet, home, and belongings would have been destroyed. The light flickered, then went out completely, followed by smoke, and flames. I have contacted GE, and waiting for a response. I have 8 of these bulbs in total; which I have removed all from my fixtures.

This light bulb was flickering & coming on at half brightness. I thought maybe the cord was damaged since it was a hanging light so I took the light down and discovered the wires to the socket were burnt, but not twisted or damaged. I put this bulb in a different lamp and had the same problem. I think this bulb has a dangerous defect. Glad it didn't cause a fire!

I recently moved into a new apartment. I have been wondering why not 1 but 2 General Electric light bulbs I installed in the bedroom ceiling fan burned out within 2 or 3 days. Hard to believe that bulbs that supposedly have a 1 year life could burn out so quickly. I asked the apartment manager to have a maintenance man check to see if the light fixture was shorting out the bulbs. No such electrical problem was found to exist. The bulb I have in there now is a different brand. Time will tell if General Electric has been selling substandard bulbs or if an undiscovered problem is making the bulbs burn out prematurely. I notice however that many people are complaining about problems with General Electric bulbs used in ceiling fans.

I have a overhead bedroom light fixture that holds three bulbs. When I turned the lights off, after they had been on for about two hours, one of them exploded. After cleaning up the glass shards, I removed the bulb and found the inner glass part blew out.

Two ceiling fixtures that were on in the same room had light bulbs explode in them. Thankfully, the fixtures had bowl style shades under them that caught most of the broken glass. However, my grandchildren were crawling in the room at the time and this could have been a terrible incident if the glass had gotten in their eyes or cut them. I will now remove every GE bulb from my home and NEVER buy another GE bulb again. The bulb in question here is a 1270 Lumens Soft White 72W 120V S05 and 25 also appear on these bulbs.

I recently purchased a few GE light bulbs, specifically focused on home automation and voice control lighting. I should start by saying that I have the Amazon Echo at home (amazing product, equivalent to the invention of the cellphone) and I preconfigured it before I went off to Home Depot. Now one of the features of the Echo is that it has the ability to control household lighting via voice command functionality (great for my wife and I as we are both disabled; failed spinal fusion for the lady and I am a disabled veteran) and the literature specifically tells you that the Echo will work with 3 home automation companies: Insteon, SmartThings and Wink.

So at Home Depot I came across GE's Link Connected LED bulb, 60 watt, 800 lumens, Soft White. The packaging is nice, clean and sturdy; so I thought we were off to a great start, it just felt like a solid product instantly. The package states that it replaces a 60 watt while only utilizing 12 watts in actuality. It's extremely energy efficient, with an estimated annual operating cost $1.45 a year; based on a 3 hr day and the piece de' resistance', a 22.8 year life expectancy! So I buy two, head home, open them up and screw the first one in.

Upon turning the light on we heard a sharp hissing, followed by crackling & popping. It then began to smoke wildly, this lamp in my living room was literally bellowing smoke. We were at about 40 seconds in at this point and the fun continued as the smoke was followed by sparks and flames. Which subsequently led to my 100 pound service dog to leap out of his bed knocking into my wife as she was walking by with a plate full of food and she lost her footing and fell through the glass coffee table.

This crash then led to my wife's 80 pound service dog becoming so scared he bolted through the room to get outside, running right through all the broken glass, ultimately slicing open his pad. So within 5 minutes of plugging in this wildly defective product, I have a small house fire to deal with, the destroyed hand carved walnut end table my wife brought back from Indonesia, an emergency room visit for my poor wife who already had fused rods in her back), two emergency veterinary visits (after hours - $$$$$$$), a huge mess to clean up and to add insult to injury the fire knocked the Amazon Echo off the end table shattering it ($199.00 and I even got to have it for 4 whole days!). I should sue GE to the Stone Age!

A GE white 43W bulb made in China exploded in my ceiling fan. The outer shell fell on our bed and floor and the filament was still lit. We had to turn the power off and remove the remainder with gloves on. Dangerous situation.

I replaced all my light bulbs in my house with LED bulbs, it has been 10 months they have been in service and 50% have already failed. I do not expected the remaining will last a full year. The advertising that the lights will last the 20+ years is false. There is no savings on energy when the bulbs cost 3 times and only last 10 to 12 months. I will be purchasing the old bulbs in mass quantities hopefully to last until I am 6' under. This is the biggest scam of a product yet.

These are the WORST light bulbs I have ever used. The LED light bulbs (spot and 60-watt lamp) last about two months. What a ripoff. They are so expensive and to have them last a matter of weeks is unbelievable. I will NEVER buy another GE light bulb again.

Extremely scary situation where these GE Biax bulbs randomly explode and fall out of can light fixtures. We have had over 4 bulbs recently do this in a business office. These bulbs as I have now read many reviews on are subject to poor quality control if made in Hungary. This is an extremely danger and these bulbs should be recalled before someone gets hurt.

GE Light Bulbs Company Profile