GE Light Bulbs
Based on 182 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

GE Light Bulbs

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 1, 2017

224 GE Light Bulbs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The GE long life 3 way light bulbs was in my living room lamps... One of them blew up while I was in the bathroom. Burned holes in my carpet, couch and tile... Insurance covered it. But I have to pay a $500 deductible... I'd say it's $3000 in damages.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We own a family restaurant business. One day coming into work it was noted that a bulb (GE 72w 120v 1270 lumens) had broke over a table. (Thank goodness this happened at night and not while someone was working) the problem was the bulb still lit up when the switch was turned on. The entire bulb was broke. We thought this was just a freak accident until tonight. I was closing down drawers and the bulb directly above me burst. Glass fragments went into my hair and all over the cash drawer and floor. This bulb burnt out and did not fully bust. The third picture is the type of bulb. These are extremely dangerous! Let alone being in a restaurant. Thank goodness none have broke over a table! They have all been removed since then.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I was sitting in my living room and the turned off LED light bulb arced. Since the one in the bedroom has been flickering since I installed it, I went online, read reviews and decided to remove them before there was an actual explosion of glass. I no longer have the receipt for these, so I will be unable to get my money back. However, I do have the box, so I will post the information about them. Manufactured for GE lighting, General Electric Company Nela Park, Cleveland, OH 44112, Made in China. PC: 67614. Desc: LED6DA19/5k/4pk. Res. # 1518341. bar code 0 43 168 67614 4. CTNLEDA194DL6GE67614ASCH-02. The reason for two stars instead of one is, I liked the clean white light and the idea of energy savings. However, I can't justify keeping them installed with the behaviors they are exhibiting.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Last night the GE 72 Watt light bulb in my 4 year old's bedroom exploded. The glass went everywhere. It actually burned my shirt and my skin under it. My son was scared but thankfully was covered by a blanket. Very dangerous.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have been purchasing GE Crystal Clear light bulbs for all my overhead ceiling lights simply because I prefer the bright clean white light they produce. Today while sitting at my desk working I was startled by a loud explosion in the ceiling light above me. Fortunately all my ceiling lights are closed dome fixtures so the explosion was contained. While removing the dome to examine the bulb a stream of fine pulverized glass began streaming out through the mounting post hole in the glass dome. I covered the hole with my thumb so that I could safely contain it while climbing back down the ladder I was using to reach the fixture. The dome was filled with completely pulverized glass with the consistency of sea salt, however with sharp edges. There were no larger pieces. It was completely pulverized.

All that was left of the bulb was the metal screwed into the socket which I had to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers. I really hate to think of what could have happened had the bulb been in an open table or floor lamp. Yes, the bulbs were made in Hungary and I will be forwarding the remains as well as the original packaging to GE once I get an address to send it to. These bulbs will generally burn out in half the time as others. However I prefer the light they produce, and although this is the first such experience I have had with them these bulbs are extremely dangerous and should be pulled off the market.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: July 16, 2017

Recently purchased two boxes (4 ea) of soft white 40 watt round bulbs for two bathrooms being renovated. That was a week ago. Since then 7 out of 8 new bulbs have failed. These bulbs are manufactured in Hungary. Have taken one box back for exchange, Home Depot had no problem with the return, but now I have 3 more bad ones and am returning them all. One expects more than 4 or five days life out of a light bulb. The fixtures are new and were installed by a licensed electrician, so I don't think it's the fixture. Is THIS what foreign manufacturing does for us?

Original review: April 4, 2017

I installed 2 light bulbs (GE 12W Hungary 120V 1270 Lumens) within a week apart in 2 different lights. I turned the light off and the bulb exploded!!! Glass everywhere. The second light bulb blew and broke apart. Not as violent. I need help!!! This is very dangerous.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I purchased 8 GE LED bulbs for my house. One by one within a few months they started to flicker. I rounded them all up after reading online others with the same issues. After calling GE, I was told that yes, they were having problems, to copy my receipt and the bar codes and I would get my money back. 4 months later I had not gotten my money back. I called and was told they never got anything from me, so I went online and sent a second request. After another 2 weeks, I got a letter stating my problem was 'not typical' and to send the bulbs back for a examine. 6 months ago I was told I didn't have to keep them, just the bar codes because they knew they had an issue. I feel that GE is SCAMMING me out of over $60!! I always thought GE was a reputable company but they are not. I will never ever, ever buy another GE product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My 6-year-old was in his room last night and we heard a pop. When my wife and I arrived in the room we found the GE LED bulb exploded out of the socket all over the room. Smoke was coming out of the socket. My child was cut by the bulb and parts of the bulb melted in the carpet causing my son and myself to burn our bare feet. Ten minutes before this happened my son and I were lying on the floor under the fan light reading. We are very lucky.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My daughter and I were in the living room when the light above her exploded causing her to fall to the floor. She ended up falling on glass getting burnt through 2 pairs of Under Armour shorts and 1 pair was lined making it 3 layers of shorts!!! Her blanket ended up getting a hole burnt in it also. I'm so angry! These light bulbs are fairly new too! I hate these new halogen light bulbs, what happened to the good old days, good old bulbs!! I'm usually a chill person but when my child gets hurt and stuff get ruined I get upset. You suck GE!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

If I could give GE bulbs a zero, I would! Was talking to my two children the other night while one was sitting on the couch next to a table lamp, and the other was standing. The lamp was on. The light bulb exploded and burst glass onto the couch where my son was sitting and onto the floor by my daughter. Luckily, no one was hurt I believe due to the lamp shade perhaps shielding it from going directly out sideways. Shreds of glass did land on the couch. I couldn't help but think what would have happened if it had hit one of the kids or myself in the eye or face! It was a terrifyingly loud sound that scared us half to death. My young son is now afraid that our house will catch on fire if we have a lamp or other light on now. This NEVER should have happened! Please check your bulbs and replace them if they are GE! I included pictures of the make, etc. stamped on the bulb. GE needs to do a recall on those bulbs NOW!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

My husband was sitting in the living by a lamp and the GE light bulb just exploded. Glass was all over the place from the bulb. We thought maybe we had too high of a watt in it but from the sticker on the lamp it looks like it could take up to 100W and the light bulb was only 72W. I don't have a receipt. See pictures of broken bulb, lamp with bulb broken off in the socket & label from the lamp stating that it can handle up to 100W.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I purchase many exterior flood light bulbs for our business. I date each one when installed to keep track of usage and they are on timers as well. At 11.99 each it gets expensive over time to replace. It took GE months to finally reply after I sent an email to corporate headquarters to seek help. They finally sent coupons to replace my failed bulbs. Question is will they keep doing this. As long as they do I will purchase their bulbs. If not then I will purchase others.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

Yesterday the 21st of December my mom who is elderly 71, here in Klamath Falls Oregon, had those light bulbs in your bathroom or incandescent. She had left the bathroom and turn the light switch off, went to the kitchen to make some coffee and she said it sounds like a 22 going off shotgun. Panic, she didn't know what was going on and she went into the hallway and saw a piece of glass but then she noticed that there's glass all over the bathroom.

G-Eazy wonderful light bulb head exploded and that power wasn't even on, the light was off and they still exploded five minutes after the light was turned off. Now I've read a lot of your complaints and you will have the same thing in common or light bulbs explode. GE used to be a good company but not anymore. If I knew a way to do it, it seems like every store you go to, Walmart, we have a Fred Meyer here in town, all they sell is GE so there really is no alternative. But if you go online you can find other brand names and we have a little store here in town, it doesn't sell GE. They sell those light bulbs but they're different brands.

My device, her body, is get online, get a review on other light bulbs companies that make these and boycott GE and run them out of business. Little boys and girls going to different areas of their homes. If my mom had been in the bathroom when it exploded she would have ended up in the hospital ER. All the ecology but they think they're so big for their britches. They probably want to talk to me anyways and just hang up. So I say we find other means to get these light bulbs besides GE and boycott them or run them out of business and let them know we will not tolerate things that harm our children or family members and I think you too ever reads this.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

Turned the light on above the kitchen table this morning and one of the bulbs exploded!!! There was glass everywhere!! Couldn't believe there was so much glass from a small bulb. Luckily the only casualty was my cup of tea which was on the table but had someone been sat there they would have been cut by the glass. I had to remove the metal part from the fixture with a pair of pliers. This was a GE multi-use bulb, which was the only type I could find to fit the light fixture as it needs 3 small sized bulbs. However I will be now trying to find a different brand to replace, especially after reading all the reviews here. I still have the packet and these were made in Mexico. UPC no 4316876584.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

I had installed some G-16-1/2 25W bulbs in the light in my bedroom. I have little information about when they were purchased, how long it lasted, etc. But I had one go out pretty quickly (mind you I had the previous 4 for about 8 years with no problems). Then a second one was starting to flicker and die. I took out the 2 bulbs and to my surprise, the bases were falling off. I was appalled by the genuine lack of quality that GE had, but to ensure that I would leave completely unsatisfied, when I went to remove a working bulb and put it in a separate spot to help balance out the light, surprise, the base separated from the bulb completely leaving the base inside the socket and 1 bulb left. Good job GE. Good job.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

I replaced the bulbs in my kitchen light fixture less than 2 mos ago on Aug 8th, the day after I bought them, with these GE modified incandescent bulbs and they both blew this morning, Sept 23, 2016. They both look like the metal ends are corroded. According to the pkg, they're suppose to have a 9 year life. That should be 10.8 months, not less than 7 wks. These bulbs were made in the USA, according to the packaging. Purchased at the Walmart in Clinton AR. I still have the receipt but am unable to upload it at this time as my printer/scanner is down. What happened to GE's quality?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

My table lamb almost caught fire yesterday and hence my home. When I turned it on, the bulb flickered and smoked. Thank God I was home. I turned off the lamp immediately. I do not trust GE bulbs anymore. I will never buy them again. It would be valid to reimburse me via a check. I do not want a voucher instead to buy any GE bulbs. I have zero confidence with this company. UPC #043168662499, "4 bombillas" #1340837, PC: 66249 Desc: 72A/W/H/MSP-4PK Res.#1223586, again, made in Hungary! I will also notify and warn Goodman's Hardware store in Mill Valley, Ca and Costco San Rafael, Ca. A fire danger to be sure!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I bought GE LED bulbs a couple years ago for a fixture in my bathroom that needs 5 bulbs. Not a cheap investment, but I assumed that even though GE bulbs were near the bottom of the line regarding life expectancy, if I got even close to the longevity promised I would be happy. After a year the bulbs began turning off for hours at a time and coming back on. With 5 bulbs I figured if half are out at any time I can still get by. Last night I walked in and when I turned the switch on it was like an old time camera flash went off followed by darkness. My wife and I are trying to research online and find a good LED bulb to replace these GEs with. But how can I believe any promises or reviews? Reviews on GEs claim they last 13 years and I have 5 that I bought that haven't lasted 2!!! I'm just frustrated.

Original review: July 23, 2016

I've had the same experience as others who have written about the GE bulbs. Ours were made in China. They exploded in different rooms at different times, both times (and now the last time we hope since we will never buy these again!) sending shards of glass flying everywhere and leaving a burning odor. When did light bulbs start to explode? What is going on and why is the selling of these bulbs allowed at all?

Original review: July 22, 2016

I like the light the bulbs give off but most of the bulbs burn out in a few months. It's irritating having to purchase and replace the bulbs so often. GE must purposely manufacture the bulbs this way because they could easily manufacture bulbs that last much longer.

Original review: July 13, 2016

My hallway light bulb by my bathroom just exploded sending little shards of glass everywhere!!! My 4 year old son could've been there. My sixteen year old son was in the kitchen right next to the hallway. I am extremely pissed. My kids could've been hurt!!! I'm sweeping constantly to make sure glass doesn't get in our feet! I want answers! This could've been a fire in my house!

Original review: June 13, 2016

Back in October of 2015 I submitted a review about a bulb blowing up in our bedroom fixture. Yesterday on 6/13/16 another one blew up in our bathroom fixture right after my son turned the lights on. I thought the first time might be an isolated incident but obviously there is a real manufacturing problem. I am going to replace these bulbs today to avoid any other problems.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I have purchased over 20 of the GE yellow bug bulbs in the past week to install in the front and rear porches at my house. Overnight several of the 60 Watt GE yellow lights have burned out, they were the ones manufactured in Hungary, bought at Walmart and ACE hardware. The bulbs looked like they were re-soldered and re-packaged as new bulbs, very poor quality. I would expect much better quality from GE. If you experience the same problem, you can call 1-800-435-4448 and they might be able to issue vouchers to get new ones.

Original review: March 13, 2016

I purchased two 4 packs of these bulbs at Walmart in Alliance Ohio and all 4 in first pack when screwed in lamp popped and blew. The bulbs in second pack all worked. The # on sleeve is PC:94531 Desc:53AWHMSP4/12-USA RES.#1235101. Thank you for your attention on this matter as we were very disappointed as we have bought GE bulbs for a long time!

Original review: March 6, 2016

I've been purchasing these bulbs since the incandescent ones were banned. The only problem I've had up until now was an extremely short life (from one to four weeks at most). Today I had one explode while it was on. It had been on for about an hour and it was about 2 weeks old. Totally terrifying experience. There was glass on every surface of my bathroom. No warning... it just popped and exploded. Luckily I wasn't standing directly under it at the time or I surely would have been injured. After reading these reviews, I see that this has happened to quite a few people and it's only a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or loses their home because of these faulty bulbs. Something needs to be done.

Original review: March 4, 2016

We purchased 9 of these LED lamps to replace the can lights in our kitchen. They worked fine for a couple of days then started going on and off intermittently. I thought it was just two or three of them at first but after moving them to different locations in the house and over time, all of them did the same thing. It will drive you crazy as they will be going on and off at random times so you cannot read or watch TV, so they are definitely defective. This was during the winter time so it is not a heat problem, just defective products.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

The light bulb caught fire. If I had not been present, my pet, home, and belongings would have been destroyed. The light flickered, then went out completely, followed by smoke, and flames. I have contacted GE, and waiting for a response. I have 8 of these bulbs in total; which I have removed all from my fixtures.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

This light bulb was flickering & coming on at half brightness. I thought maybe the cord was damaged since it was a hanging light so I took the light down and discovered the wires to the socket were burnt, but not twisted or damaged. I put this bulb in a different lamp and had the same problem. I think this bulb has a dangerous defect. Glad it didn't cause a fire!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

I recently moved into a new apartment. I have been wondering why not 1 but 2 General Electric light bulbs I installed in the bedroom ceiling fan burned out within 2 or 3 days. Hard to believe that bulbs that supposedly have a 1 year life could burn out so quickly. I asked the apartment manager to have a maintenance man check to see if the light fixture was shorting out the bulbs. No such electrical problem was found to exist. The bulb I have in there now is a different brand. Time will tell if General Electric has been selling substandard bulbs or if an undiscovered problem is making the bulbs burn out prematurely. I notice however that many people are complaining about problems with General Electric bulbs used in ceiling fans.

GE Light Bulbs Company Information