1.22/5
Based on 196 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

238 GE Light Bulbs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 28, 2018

GE 72w 120v 1270 lumens: This was a new lightbulb purchased about six weeks ago. It exploded spreading glass shards all over my bathroom getting glass dust in my eyes and as our eye doctor said phosphorous in my eyes because the light bulbs contain phosphorous. That was several days ago. To date, four days later my eyes are not well but are healing. The manager at the store where these were purchased told us to get an electrician to come out and make sure there wasn't a power surge. I did one better. I contacted our electric company and found out there was no power surge to our house and no power failures in our area they service. I have all this evidence in black and white, hard copy. Next week we will be presenting this to the store manager. However, I believe we should also contact GE if that is possible. Another option is to no longer purchase GE lightbulbs. They are not the only company in the USA.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Today out of nowhere we had a GE Soft White (100w) Uses- Manufactured in Hungary, Model PC: 66249 explode in our lamp. Thank goodness no one was hurt. It sounded like a firecracker and glass was all over our den. I contacted GE Lighting by phone, since there wasn't an option to contact by email. GE basically offered me a coupon to purchase more light bulbs. Asked if she wanted my contact information and she said no. Basically, they would only need my contact information if they were going to send me a coupon. It was very disturbing know that GE wasn't taking information and following back up on these type of complaints.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Had a GE 72w halogen light bulb BLOW UP and cover my cat and I in hot shrapnel. :( Maybe we should bring back manufacturing to the UNITED STATES. I didn't vote for Trump, but I am strongly considering we really do need a dose of MAGA please.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Over last few years, I bought many LED bulbs of different brands. One of them is this GE dimmable 10.6 W LED bulb, which was priced higher than other store-brand bulbs but I thought I should try it since GE bulbs must be of a higher quality. I was very wrong. This is the first LED bulb that broke among many LED bulbs I bought. A while after it gets turned on, it becomes dark, it flashes, becomes dark. It seems there is some bad connection inside the bulb. I'm certain it is not even a year old. I thought LED bulbs would last almost forever. What happened to GE who invented (or promoted?) the six sigma?

Original review: April 7, 2018

Over the last year I've had these light bulbs fail in a matter of days of replacing them. Absolute junk. What happened to GE quality? No matter what fixture I use them in, they fail after a very short time. One failed after two days. The others may have a weeks worth of life before they fail. Can't justify buying these bulbs anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: April 4, 2018

I'm so sorry to see GE quality go down. I purchased GE bulbs less than 4 months ago with my first package having a broken bulb when arriving home. I returned the bulb for a second package and one of the bulbs never worked. I returned that package and got a 3rd package with having used all of the bulbs up. They don't last more than one month each. I have other brands and older bulbs with the same multi bulb light fixture that are dusty and still working. I just replaced my GE last bulb and will not purchase a GE light bulb again. The problem appears to go beyond quality control. Most unfortunate!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Last night my son was laying on his bed when the GE bulb in his ceiling light fixture exploded! Sending glass everywhere and burning holes in his sheets. Thankfully he was not hurt but very scared. After doing some research online I was shocked to see that this is an issue that the company is very aware of! Why are these dangerous bulbs still on the market? I will never purchase anything from GE again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The lamp had a GE - USA made 890 Lumens Soft white 120 V light bulb. The lamp can hold 2 light bulbs. It had been on for 2 hours. The light bulb was about 3 months old. After turning the lamp off, within 3 minutes, the light bulb exploded. It shattered and scattered the shards up to 13 feet in all directions from the lamp. After reading reviews of GE light bulbs...never buying these again. I was lucky that I had just gotten up from the chair that sits by the lamp.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I have used GE bulbs in the past and not had problems until recently. 12/24/17 I replaced a bulb in a hanging light over my counter, using a new 40 W med. base bulb. Three days later it burned out. I replaced it again and 1/1/18 that bulb burned out. I did not replace it. 3/16/18 I replaced a bulb in our range hood with a 40 W med. base bulb. 3/17/ 18 it burned out and I replaced it with the other bulb from the 2- bulb package, and it burned out next day. I won't be buying anymore GE bulbs.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Never in my relatively long lifetime have I ever seen a light bulb explode, out of the blue, for no reason, while the light is on. Glass went flying everywhere. I was watching TV about 4 feet away and definitely felt small pieces of glass hit me. My honey was making bread. We had to throw away 4 loaves, after hours of rising and pounding down, right before they were to go into the stove because we couldn't risk shards of glass in the bread. My honey was angry, I was sad. I searched through the broken glass and found at least one legible piece. It said GE 1270 Lumens Hungary on the top.

I've dealt with large halogen bulbs used in stadiums enough to know they fail "nonpassively," in other words the halogen filament explodes 30% of the time when they fail. But if the guts of the bulb blows up the outer globe of these big bulb are engineered to be strong enough to withstand the explosion. They are engineered with outer glass strong enough to contain a "nonpassive" failure inside. My bulb exploded because the outer glass wasn't strong enough... probably because somebody wanted to pinch pennies and save money on glass during the manufacturing process. The result is an extremely hazardous product. Please get it off the shelves fast.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Just yesterday I purchased 2 4pks of Ultra Soft White 40w 2x Longer Life light bulbs (made in Hungary). I came home from the store and replaced 3 of the light bulbs from 2 light fixtures, (3 bulbs each), above our bathroom vanity. The very next morning I turned on the bathroom lights and 2 of the 3 bulbs that I just replaced had blown out already??? These light bulbs are not the only GE light bulbs I have had this problem with. I have always used Reveal light bulbs as well as smaller light bulbs used in pendant lights. Within the past couple of years it seems as though the regular light bulbs blow out within days to weeks to months of installing them. I am tired of wasting money on GE and will switch to another brand to check them out.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

1270 Lumens Soft White 72W 120V F6 Hungary - These bulbs actually shatter and extrude glass for at least 2 yards! And that is with a protective shield [Four-Light Bath Bar with White Glass Shade]! Never buying these bulbs again!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

We just had a GE lightbulb explode in our bedroom seconds after laying our 4 month old down for bed. The hot, broken glass landed about an inch from his face! Thank the Lord he is okay, I get sick just thinking about what could've happened. These are very dangerous!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I was contacted by a customer telling me the GE Light Bulbs Halogen installed in his product just blew up. He gave me a link to this site. I was shocked to find out that GE is just another one of those "too big to fail" companies who gets to do whatever they please, including manufacturing shoddy, dangerous products. We were lucky in that the bulb was contained within a machine so the shards didn't hurt anyone. I'm waiting to hear if the shards damaged the product's wiring.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The GE long life 3 way light bulbs was in my living room lamps... One of them blew up while I was in the bathroom. Burned holes in my carpet, couch and tile... Insurance covered it. But I have to pay a $500 deductible... I'd say it's $3000 in damages.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We own a family restaurant business. One day coming into work it was noted that a bulb (GE 72w 120v 1270 lumens) had broke over a table. (Thank goodness this happened at night and not while someone was working) the problem was the bulb still lit up when the switch was turned on. The entire bulb was broke. We thought this was just a freak accident until tonight. I was closing down drawers and the bulb directly above me burst. Glass fragments went into my hair and all over the cash drawer and floor. This bulb burnt out and did not fully bust. The third picture is the type of bulb. These are extremely dangerous! Let alone being in a restaurant. Thank goodness none have broke over a table! They have all been removed since then.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I was sitting in my living room and the turned off LED light bulb arced. Since the one in the bedroom has been flickering since I installed it, I went online, read reviews and decided to remove them before there was an actual explosion of glass. I no longer have the receipt for these, so I will be unable to get my money back. However, I do have the box, so I will post the information about them. Manufactured for GE lighting, General Electric Company Nela Park, Cleveland, OH 44112, Made in China. PC: 67614. Desc: LED6DA19/5k/4pk. Res. # 1518341. bar code 0 43 168 67614 4. CTNLEDA194DL6GE67614ASCH-02. The reason for two stars instead of one is, I liked the clean white light and the idea of energy savings. However, I can't justify keeping them installed with the behaviors they are exhibiting.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Last night the GE 72 Watt light bulb in my 4 year old's bedroom exploded. The glass went everywhere. It actually burned my shirt and my skin under it. My son was scared but thankfully was covered by a blanket. Very dangerous.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have been purchasing GE Crystal Clear light bulbs for all my overhead ceiling lights simply because I prefer the bright clean white light they produce. Today while sitting at my desk working I was startled by a loud explosion in the ceiling light above me. Fortunately all my ceiling lights are closed dome fixtures so the explosion was contained. While removing the dome to examine the bulb a stream of fine pulverized glass began streaming out through the mounting post hole in the glass dome. I covered the hole with my thumb so that I could safely contain it while climbing back down the ladder I was using to reach the fixture. The dome was filled with completely pulverized glass with the consistency of sea salt, however with sharp edges. There were no larger pieces. It was completely pulverized.

All that was left of the bulb was the metal screwed into the socket which I had to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers. I really hate to think of what could have happened had the bulb been in an open table or floor lamp. Yes, the bulbs were made in Hungary and I will be forwarding the remains as well as the original packaging to GE once I get an address to send it to. These bulbs will generally burn out in half the time as others. However I prefer the light they produce, and although this is the first such experience I have had with them these bulbs are extremely dangerous and should be pulled off the market.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Recently purchased two boxes (4 ea) of soft white 40 watt round bulbs for two bathrooms being renovated. That was a week ago. Since then 7 out of 8 new bulbs have failed. These bulbs are manufactured in Hungary. Have taken one box back for exchange, Home Depot had no problem with the return, but now I have 3 more bad ones and am returning them all. One expects more than 4 or five days life out of a light bulb. The fixtures are new and were installed by a licensed electrician, so I don't think it's the fixture. Is THIS what foreign manufacturing does for us?

Original review: April 4, 2017

I installed 2 light bulbs (GE 12W Hungary 120V 1270 Lumens) within a week apart in 2 different lights. I turned the light off and the bulb exploded!!! Glass everywhere. The second light bulb blew and broke apart. Not as violent. I need help!!! This is very dangerous.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I purchased 8 GE LED bulbs for my house. One by one within a few months they started to flicker. I rounded them all up after reading online others with the same issues. After calling GE, I was told that yes, they were having problems, to copy my receipt and the bar codes and I would get my money back. 4 months later I had not gotten my money back. I called and was told they never got anything from me, so I went online and sent a second request. After another 2 weeks, I got a letter stating my problem was 'not typical' and to send the bulbs back for a examine. 6 months ago I was told I didn't have to keep them, just the bar codes because they knew they had an issue. I feel that GE is SCAMMING me out of over $60!! I always thought GE was a reputable company but they are not. I will never ever, ever buy another GE product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My 6-year-old was in his room last night and we heard a pop. When my wife and I arrived in the room we found the GE LED bulb exploded out of the socket all over the room. Smoke was coming out of the socket. My child was cut by the bulb and parts of the bulb melted in the carpet causing my son and myself to burn our bare feet. Ten minutes before this happened my son and I were lying on the floor under the fan light reading. We are very lucky.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My daughter and I were in the living room when the light above her exploded causing her to fall to the floor. She ended up falling on glass getting burnt through 2 pairs of Under Armour shorts and 1 pair was lined making it 3 layers of shorts!!! Her blanket ended up getting a hole burnt in it also. I'm so angry! These light bulbs are fairly new too! I hate these new halogen light bulbs, what happened to the good old days, good old bulbs!! I'm usually a chill person but when my child gets hurt and stuff get ruined I get upset. You suck GE!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

If I could give GE bulbs a zero, I would! Was talking to my two children the other night while one was sitting on the couch next to a table lamp, and the other was standing. The lamp was on. The light bulb exploded and burst glass onto the couch where my son was sitting and onto the floor by my daughter. Luckily, no one was hurt I believe due to the lamp shade perhaps shielding it from going directly out sideways. Shreds of glass did land on the couch. I couldn't help but think what would have happened if it had hit one of the kids or myself in the eye or face! It was a terrifyingly loud sound that scared us half to death. My young son is now afraid that our house will catch on fire if we have a lamp or other light on now. This NEVER should have happened! Please check your bulbs and replace them if they are GE! I included pictures of the make, etc. stamped on the bulb. GE needs to do a recall on those bulbs NOW!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

My husband was sitting in the living by a lamp and the GE light bulb just exploded. Glass was all over the place from the bulb. We thought maybe we had too high of a watt in it but from the sticker on the lamp it looks like it could take up to 100W and the light bulb was only 72W. I don't have a receipt. See pictures of broken bulb, lamp with bulb broken off in the socket & label from the lamp stating that it can handle up to 100W.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I purchase many exterior flood light bulbs for our business. I date each one when installed to keep track of usage and they are on timers as well. At 11.99 each it gets expensive over time to replace. It took GE months to finally reply after I sent an email to corporate headquarters to seek help. They finally sent coupons to replace my failed bulbs. Question is will they keep doing this. As long as they do I will purchase their bulbs. If not then I will purchase others.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

Yesterday the 21st of December my mom who is elderly 71, here in Klamath Falls Oregon, had those light bulbs in your bathroom or incandescent. She had left the bathroom and turn the light switch off, went to the kitchen to make some coffee and she said it sounds like a 22 going off shotgun. Panic, she didn't know what was going on and she went into the hallway and saw a piece of glass but then she noticed that there's glass all over the bathroom.

G-Eazy wonderful light bulb head exploded and that power wasn't even on, the light was off and they still exploded five minutes after the light was turned off. Now I've read a lot of your complaints and you will have the same thing in common or light bulbs explode. GE used to be a good company but not anymore. If I knew a way to do it, it seems like every store you go to, Walmart, we have a Fred Meyer here in town, all they sell is GE so there really is no alternative. But if you go online you can find other brand names and we have a little store here in town, it doesn't sell GE. They sell those light bulbs but they're different brands.

My device, her body, is get online, get a review on other light bulbs companies that make these and boycott GE and run them out of business. Little boys and girls going to different areas of their homes. If my mom had been in the bathroom when it exploded she would have ended up in the hospital ER. All the ecology but they think they're so big for their britches. They probably want to talk to me anyways and just hang up. So I say we find other means to get these light bulbs besides GE and boycott them or run them out of business and let them know we will not tolerate things that harm our children or family members and I think you too ever reads this.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

Turned the light on above the kitchen table this morning and one of the bulbs exploded!!! There was glass everywhere!! Couldn't believe there was so much glass from a small bulb. Luckily the only casualty was my cup of tea which was on the table but had someone been sat there they would have been cut by the glass. I had to remove the metal part from the fixture with a pair of pliers. This was a GE multi-use bulb, which was the only type I could find to fit the light fixture as it needs 3 small sized bulbs. However I will be now trying to find a different brand to replace, especially after reading all the reviews here. I still have the packet and these were made in Mexico. UPC no 4316876584.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

I had installed some G-16-1/2 25W bulbs in the light in my bedroom. I have little information about when they were purchased, how long it lasted, etc. But I had one go out pretty quickly (mind you I had the previous 4 for about 8 years with no problems). Then a second one was starting to flicker and die. I took out the 2 bulbs and to my surprise, the bases were falling off. I was appalled by the genuine lack of quality that GE had, but to ensure that I would leave completely unsatisfied, when I went to remove a working bulb and put it in a separate spot to help balance out the light, surprise, the base separated from the bulb completely leaving the base inside the socket and 1 bulb left. Good job GE. Good job.

GE Light Bulbs Company Information

GE Washing Machines
Public
Ticker Symbol:
GE
www.ge.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business