GE Light Bulbs
1.21/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

GE Light Bulbs

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

GE Light Bulbs Reviews

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Have purchased over 60-70 GE LED bulbs over last few years from our local grocery store. The printed life of the box is about 22 years but in reality these last less than few months. Can understand this happening for one or two but for this to happen consistently over 4-5 years on a large number of bulbs suggests that this is not an anomaly but poor quality product with false claims build sold.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Just tried to replace 3-way bulb which exploded in my hand and left me with a pretty deep cut in my thumb. It was cold and the lamp was unplugged because I discovered a few hours earlier that the lamp was not functional. I am over 50 and this is the first time ever a cold light bulb literally exploded in my hands and required a very extensive clean-up. Thanks GE! I sincerely hope not needing any stitches - I am on my third high-absorbency paper towel trying to stop bleeding.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Identifiers from package: 40A15/CD1-DG2 PC: 81455. The rating specified on the packaging of these is 1.4 years at 3 hours per day usage. We have always kept range hood light on continuously, 24 hours per day because the stove in a corner where it is somewhat dark. Based on the specified rating, and using it at 24 hours per day, they should last about 64 days, which in itself is extremely low when you consider that the old conventional type lasted maybe 5 years or longer. Replacing them was so infrequent that no one would ever give it a second thought. Starting in 2007 I used CFLs in the range hood and they lasted an average of 2.4 years between 2007 and 2016, always on, 24 hours per day.

I’ve had headaches with bulb replacements in general since Walmart stopped selling CFLs in 2016. The CFLs were performing quite well everywhere in the house. No complaints in spite of the initial changeover cost. The cost of LEDs was still quite high then. I’ve tried incandescent halogens in other lighting that we use the most frequently and was only getting about 2 months out of them. Will have to try LED next I guess because the GE 40w (“regular”) Appliance Bulbs and the incandescent halogens I’ve tried elsewhere are worthless. This may seem trivial but to me, bulbs that only last a month or two is ridiculous. In my opinion they shouldn’t be allowed to sell them. Note: The reason I have this data is because when I changed over the whole house to CFLs in 2007 I started a log and have kept it updated with replacement info since then.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Bought 2 packets of GE Reveal LED light bulbs. When screwing in the light bulb there was an explosion and a fire. Thank goodness I had the lampshade on because the shards of glass could have easily hit my eye as the lamp was at eye level. I called out an electrician thinking it was our wiring or the outlet. It wasn’t. So, I googled the light bulb. Apparently this is a THING and it has happened to MANY people. DANGEROUS.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I purchased a 2 pack from Lowe's and within a 1 week one bulb stopped working and 2 weeks after that the second bulb blew out. I returned them to Lowe's and got another 2 pack of bulbs. Tonight the first one in that pack blew out. It is 4 months old. These bulbs were about $18 for a 2 pack and advertise a 15 year life. I don't have the packaging to return these bulbs so I will write it off as a lesson learned and will try another brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: April 26, 2019

I will be making another trip to Lowe's to exchange yet another factory defective appliance bulb. I purchased two 25W LED appliance bulbs earlier this week for under my microwave. Only one worked out of the package. The second one did not work at all. Made an exchange yesterday at the same Lowe's store. Tried the exchanged bulb last night - again nothing. The original working bulb is fine in either socket. The faulty bulbs work nowhere. Not in either socket of the microwave downlight, or any other socket I try. It is absolutely the bulb that is defective. GE must not have any Quality Control in place. Trying again today. Third time is a charm - right?

Original review: April 15, 2019

I purchased GE LED bulbs from Target. Installed in our kitchen chandelier. Within a few weeks, one of the bulbs apparently overheated and started burning. The insulation on the base of the bulb was charred, as well as the socket in the lamp holder. There was a flame rising from the fixture and much black smoke in the room. The new dimmer was damaged and no longer functions. The kitchen circuit breaker tripped. The flame self-extinguished. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Original review: March 26, 2019

I was sitting at my desk in my bedroom with my back to my ceiling fan when I heard a very loud bang behind me. The bulb in my ceiling fan exploded and sent shards of hot glass all over my bedroom. I discovered several burn holes in my comforter and glass pieces embedded in the mattress. VERY DANGEROUS PRODUCT!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Our GE Soft white 110 watt light bulb exploded. An inch whole in the bulb blew out and glass went everywhere. I am very grateful to folks for posting their stories. I am throwing out all the other GE bulbs in the house. This is very dangerous. What strikes me about GE’s packaging is that these bulbs last a year. I am not an engineer but I wonder if that is why it blew and shattered. Never in my life have I witnessed this happening. Had I not been home, next to the bulb, I would not have believed it. Just thankful that no glass flew into anyone at home.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I like the Reveal light effect it has in my home. I do not like the flickering and failure of these premium priced LED bulbs. I have been in the Energy Services Industry since 1988 and always preferred specifying GE products but this product has me concerned about safety.

GE Light Bulbs Company Information