Friedrich Air Conditioner

Compare Heating & Cooling Systems

Research top Heating & Cooling Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've had my unit for two years. Within first month it was replaced. Problems with compressor. The only thing I can say good about this A/C is that it chills the room. Other than that, it sprays into my room dirt, pollution, bugs and water from the outside. My ledge is ruined. I have piles of dead bugs and the black soot from outside is coming thru the air vent. The NOISE level is so loud that I wear headphones to block it out. The repair person assigned is horrible to deal with. And I've tried to call manufacturers and never get anyone. When people come into my apt. they ask what that terrible noise is, as it sounds like a LOUD motor running. The feature of this unit was it's low sound. Well, it's NOTTT. Does anyone else have these issues?

I bought two of these Friedrich chill ACs -- one w/ 15 btu and one w/ 8 btu. They have minds of their own. They change settings frequently, never staying on the simple COOL at 75 degrees. They switch to money saver automatically, and/or they go off all the time. No matter what setting I am using (dehumidify) they won't stay on same setting. Wake up at night and the thing has gone off. I just want to keep on ONE setting but impossible on both ACs. No help from customer service. I paid a lot to have these installed and now I'm stuck with lemons.

I am very frustrated, bought a new unit (SL22n30B), and because these units are so costly, I thought this would be a high-end product and also could expect decent customer service. Come to find out after installing this very heavy unit that the front control panel is not working. I called technical assistance and got many names and phone nos. of service dealers, but they either didn't want to work on this unit (too many BTU's??), they were not licensed for my area, or I was too far away for them, some of them were actually very rude and one even hung up on me. In the end after 3 hours on the phone, I had to call P.C. Richards and Son where I purchased the unit, and after they confirmed no one would service it, I'm getting an exchange, but now I have to uninstall this unit and reinstall the replacement, which is not straightforward as you must realize.

I guess I'm going to have to pray that the next unit is OK, or that the unit never needs a repair in the future (unlikely from what I am reading in other reviews), as I have no way apparently to get it serviced... What kind of customer service is this for a high end product like this? At first I was thinking to, with time, replace all my A/C's with Friedrich ones, but I'm definitely having second thoughts on that now. Not even a week after purchasing it, my frustration level is through the roof... An unhappy first time customer of a Friedrich A/C unit, and apparently not the only one.

I bought a Friedrich 18,000 BTU window air conditioner back in April, 2015 from Conn's Appliances store and unit worked fine until August 2, 2016 when it completely went out. I called Conn's repair services since that was the place I bought it. As I sit writing this review the repairman has only been once and that was on 8/9/2016 to repair the unit (air conditioner). Today they are just coming back after having to order parts and canceling scheduled appointments. I have waited through triple digit heat waiting for repair of my unit. I am very disappointed in the air conditioner only lasting for a year and paying a large sum of money for something that would not last longer than a year. I do not understand why I have to give a rating at all since I did not get service from the unit and no replacement of the unit. I will not purchase another Friedrich Air Conditioner and will never buy another appliance or anything from Conn's again.

We purchased a split system unit about 1 month ago online. We installed it and it worked for about 2 weeks then just stopped. I called for support and they start telling me they don't think they can find anyone to service but will work on it and call me back, no call back... nothing for days. I call again, they tell me something similar and promise another call back, I trust them only to hear nothing. I call again, anger is starting to show, I give them everything they ask for and still hear nothing!!! I would never buy anything from them. Worst customer service and product I have ever seen!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

I purchased a Friedrich "N" model Air conditioner from LivingDirect for $1179.00, weeks ago, because I have to have remote control capability. Right off the bat the model number was not available in the firmware drop down list. The setup was not for a novice but then I'm not. The setup failed halfway through due to the "Kuhl" control unit's inability to communicate with the Internet on my Zyxel CenturyLink Modem, through a special port. Friedrich said it was the Modem or the setup. I'm not a novice with modems or routers either, but I called CenturyLink. Their techs and I troubleshot the Modem and my Local Area Network, at yet more additional expense to me. The modems, and the LAN are all working properly and the port(s) needed are "OPEN." I informed Friedrich's customer service who said the tech support would call me back shortly. Three weeks and a dozen phone calls later, "Not a peep out of Friedrich."

Everything being said and tested, it only leaves the Kuhl plug-in adapter and/or device that are the likely culprits. However Friedrich seems to want to ignore the problem instead of sending me a new adapter and/or device. One of their customer service agents actually suggested I "box up the entire air conditioner and return it." I asked who was going to cover deconstruction costs?" Result now - absolute "SILENCE!" Now I'd like to be clear here. LivingDirect has done everything possible to help resolve the problem and seem to be as upset with Friedrich as I am. I do not hold them culpable in this matter. They have even suggested replacing it with another brand but I cannot afford the deconstruction and reconstruction costs in money and loss of time on the project.

I bought a brand new (through the wall sleeve) unit from P. C. Richard & Son. It didn't work correctly, straight out of the box (specifically, the compressor would randomly go off, thereby preventing the unit from cooling the room). I contacted P. C. Richard & Son, and learned that Friedrich has a policy that requires that you contact their service department for them to inspect the unit. Whoever heard of such a thing? A brand new unit? It should have been replaced immediately. Their service department is unreachable on the weekend, and when I finally got a hold of them on Monday, they said that their earliest appointment was two days later! So, as a result, I have had to suffer with a bedroom with no air conditioning during this unbearable heat wave. They are the worst, and I would never buy from such a company again.

This unit cost us over $400.00 and we have had trouble with it from the second month with moisture in the green box where temp. is located. Control panel was changed and the moisture is back. Place we bought it is giving us the runaround so we had to locate another dealer. Friedrich was nice enough to give us another dealer's name. I am glad they agreed to come fix it since it is not even 1 year old yet. We got a lemon! I give their product a 2 star.

Paid 800$ for a 24,000 BTU Friedrich air conditioner 5/14/2015. Live in Buffalo, NY. Only have about 3-4 months of summer heat here. Used this Friedrich 2 1/2 months after buying last year. Took it out of window, store it in a room in house thru winter. Put it back in window this June 2016. Have used 2 months this summer so far. So it's 14 months old, have used it 4 1/2 months. Of the 14 it shuts off constantly, flashes letters CH THEN FLASHES NUMBER 34. No one can tell me what this means. It's a huge air conditioner. Friedrich wants to do nothing about this piece of crap air conditioner that we bought. Still making payments on it, and there this beast of a machine sits while we sit in 90-degree heat which I might add is very unusual for us in Buffalo, NY and it's not working.

I've called Friedrich. They say this number means air conditioner has been running too long!!! Excuse me??? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the purpose of an air conditioner when's it's hot outside to run it?? Why the heck did we buy this expensive thing if we can't use it?? Friedrich YOU HAVE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! YOUR PRODUCT IS CRAP! I've been in management for going on 10 years now. I would and have never treated my customers like you have us!!! You sold us a brand new PIECE OF CRAP!! Because of the way you have handled my situation of using your product for 4 1/2 months and it died I WILL BE LETTING as many people as I can about your product and your poor customer service!!! I hope your company is proud of your crappy ways!!! Frustrated and mad. You want to buy this crap back??

AVOID FRIEDRICH AT ALL COSTS!! AVOID PC RICHARD AND SON COMPLETELY! I purchased a Friedrich Chill CP 10 from Adrian at the PC Richard store in Rego Park NY (he is now at the Forest Hills Store). The Unit lasted only 2 seasons, and is just plain junk!

Having purchased several years ago 4 of the very expensive 32,000 BTU air conditioners from Friedrich for my company and being very satisfied I decided to replace my Westinghouse air conditioner in my apartment which I had for over 18 years and which still was fully functional with a new Friedrich unit based on it being more energy efficient. What a mistake!!! I purchased a cp12c10 on 5/26/07. The compressor went within 2 years. It was replaced in the spring of 2009. Once again the compressor blew in the spring of 2012. Once again after much fighting with Friedrich, it was for the fourth time in a span of 7 years replaced on 4/12/14. This replacement unit for the last 5 months has been making a racket like the sound of a jet engine when the compressor kicks in.

Once again I battled with Friedrich consumer affairs over this inferior product. I even offered at this point to buy their best & most expensive unit if they would credit me for this malfunctioning unit. They absolutely refused telling me that the warranty period had elapsed. On a unit that is under 2 years old!! What a disgrace & shame that a company that at one time had such a fine reputation has declined so rapidly. I read previous reviews and complaints about Friedrich and see that my utter disgust & dissatisfaction are corroborated.

I researched the source of the problem & here is the root of the problem. Friedrich as so much of corporate America is outsourcing their units to China in order to corner the market for the less expensive units which at one time they did not market. Up until recently their pricier SS units were made in America. Now it's my understanding that even the SS units are now being made in Mexico. Wow, do we ever now need Donald Trump to turn this mess around!! Goodbye to Friedrich!!

I bought three a/c in the wall units, 6000 BTU, one of the unit had a loud comp., and the air sweep stayed on when the unit cycled off. I search for the service comp., I found out that only one comp. in LA county and it's one man comp. The other closest comp. was 40 miles away and they refused to come. He came and told me that he needs to change the comp., but Friedrich refused to pay for the repairs and they informed me that they will replace the unit but they did not have it in stock and I had to wait until Apr. 2016!!! I told them that I will contact the company I bought the AC from and maybe they have it in stock. After back and forth with the customer service at Friedrich it took two month to go through, and I got the replacement unit, but it had a cracked part.

I called the distributor and he called the service comp. in LA, CA. to replace the part. I did the research and I got the part # and gave it to the service comp. Three weeks later he told that he did not get the part yet, SEARS has in stock!!? He was rude and told me that when he get the part he will call me and he refused to tell me where he ordered the part from??! Do not buy Friedrich AC unit.

The first I have purchased in the Kuhl line and I am very impressed. The wi-fi is a very good option to turn on and cool your room from somewhere other than home. It is built very well like a commercial line of a/cs. The remote lights up so you can see it in the dark and the display on the a/c is adjustable so it won't be too bright. A heavy duty quiet well made a/c but rather expensive. Produced in Monterrey Mexico at the Friedrich plant. I have heard bad reviews about it but that may be because they expect much more for the purchase price. I find that you get more.

I bought 2 Friedrich air conditioners made in China since they were half the price of an American made unit. I was replacing a large unit on the living room and a small unit for the bedroom. I quickly found out that none of today's air conditioners fit in the sleeves that were built into my house. Both units were installed by filling in the space around the sides. Both units came with remotes. They work fine and the units have proven to hold up to constant use during the hot summer days. The digital thermostats work great and the remotes control all the power saver features. I keep the remote on the night table and if I wake up warm or want to turn it down the remote does the trick.

Needless to say, the salesman at PC Richard told me these were inferior to their American made counterparts. From the reviews I'm reading, I think I made a good choice. I also saved a bunch on the purchases, as they were half the price of the USA made product. There was also no need for the manual as the unit is very user friendly. I hope it lasts.

AC sounds like a jet engine taking off continually throughout the night and day. No sleep. Some gray foam liner inside the unit chewed up by the motor and blew out.. I would like a new air conditioner in a different model to replace the one we have. It's BEEN a lemon since the day we bought it. Friedrich AC Model #XQ08M10 Serial number AKLX00616.

I purchased a Friedrich Portable AC model P12B A in August 2013. I have used it no more than five times. I used it last Friday and will never use it again. The unit overheated and did not warn me or shut off. I just noticed after six hours of use the room was warmer than when I had first turned it on. I touched the window by the exhaust and nearly burned my hand. The unit had the potential to cause a house fire. I have two of these units. Only one did this.

I called Friedrich and they are not concerned with the danger of this product. I will have to pay for the unit to be repaired. They may cover the cost of the part. It will be just as cost effective to buy a new unit. This time from another manufacturer. Friedrich didn't even seem concerned to find out the cause. I'll never buy another product from them! Unfortunately, I bought three Friedrich units that summer, trusting the company from its prior reputation. They all have their issues. However, almost causing a fire is huge! Friedrich does not care about consumer safety. I'll never trust them again!

I just got 5,000 & 15,000 units. It's too early to tell how the units will operate and stand up but I can say that manual seems to have been written by someone who knows little about the unit and then poorly translated into English. With parts that often are not in proper English. When I called for more information I did seem to get someone in the USA but they knew absolutely nothing -- they even said that all they had was the information in the manual. So they were unable to clarify anything, just repeat the same uninformative information.

When my Mother had been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer I had a room added to my home. Our heating and AC for the home couldn't support this addition. Our contractor had a Friedrich AC/Heat Wall Unit installed. It worked just fine for the first two years. When my Mother passed I was unable to bring myself to use her room. For three years no one used the addition. Then my son moved into the room in 2009 and the unit worked Okay. Then in 2012 my son went away to college.

In 2014 my son returned. This when the unit started acting up. We tried everything that was suggested to us from the manufacturer. It started freezing up on the exterior and my husband told my son don't use it any longer. The heat portion had already stopped working. In March 2015 my husband unexpectedly passed away. I have not been able to even think about getting the unit fixed until now. Unfortunately, I am not financially able to pay a huge repair bill. Nor do I feel I should have to as the unit was barely used. I realize the unit was installed in 2002. However, the unit was only used for three of those years. Also, the unit wasn't used much. Only when it was extremely hot or extremely cold.

We bought a new Friedrich wall unit air conditioner. It was fine for the first year, the 2nd year, it stopped working. We called the store where we bought it and was told it was under warranty to call the co. We called the Friedrich (wasn't all that pleasant) and they told us to contact a repair firm in Lakewood NJ. We called, they came, took the unit. This co. never responded to our phone calls. They finally brought it back, turned it on and it worked for the 10 minutes they were there. Next time we turned it on, it didn't work, blew hot air. Called them again and it took forever to get a response from them!!! They finally came and took the unit again, made us wait again before they responded to our calls as to when it would be back.

They finally came and said it was repaired, stood in our living room for 10 minutes while it blew cold air. Great! This was the end of the summer and we never used it again. We turned it on and again it didn't blow cold air, only hot air. I am done with this company's brand of air conditioners. They weren't that nice on the phone and the sub contractors they use were useless and the unit was expensive to boot!!!

I have always known Friedrich to produce the best AC's on the market. But the two units I purchased late last Summer were horrible. The models I bought were: SQ10N10, SS14N10A. First of all, It is a fruitless task to setup the timers on the units. You have to open the front of the unit where the filter is located to access the keypad to set the timers each time you want to change the timer settings. If you always want it to go on or off at the same exact time, this is a one time task. If not, prepare to spend some time doing this.

The wifilink app is horrible and is a separate purchase. Even the technician I spoke with at Friedrich said it was lousy. There is no way to determine if your unit turned on or off until you get home. You either walk into a sauna or you walk into a chilled room. It's hit or miss and no one can explain why this happens. The setup of the wifilink alone is enough to set even the most patient person off. I don't think it could have been made more complicated if they tried. You actually need to two people to be able to complete this task. I have two different units and both have the same issues.

Having not turned these units on all Winter, when I tried to set them up again (May 2015), I spent hours trying to figure this out. Friedrich offers customer service only during business hours so you will need to take a day off work to get help. There is no evening support. If I had known this in the first place, I would have went somewhere else.

I spent $2,200 on these two machines and have begun the process of having them returned and replaced with something that works. I can't believe it has gotten to this point. I am prepared to go to the mat with them if I have to. I will say, the folks I have spoken with in customer service have been pleasant and understanding, but they are not at liberty to provide any additional information that you could get yourself online.

It's important to note that I have a technical background and still found this to be complicated. These are air conditioners. I want cool air. Not trying to launch a missile into space here. I am very disappointed in Friedrich but I will give them a final chance to make it better before I seek some legal assistance. Very frustrating. I could not recommend a Friedrich to anyone at this point.

Friedrich air conditioner 9800-1200 btu's model CP183G30A - The first of these $994 units installed in my 13th floor condo did not work when it was turned on... to the chagrin of the dealer who recommends this unit highly. I had used this company for 25 years with no problem. But on this model the control panel is a bear - when you turn it off you have to re-set it, when you turn it back on, bummer. You have to stand on your head with a magnifying glass to read the control panel, very tiny and at the very bottom. Then the 'door' is in the way. The manual does not explain what the 'Modes' are about... on which one does it drip and not drip? Afraid I'd try and find another brand.

Bought this unit in Aug. 09. In Sept 14, 1 mo after the warranty expired, I woke up and the unit had turned itself off. I tried the reset test feature on the power cord to no avail. Unit simply does not work... no lights, no fan, nothing. My previous Carrier unit worked for 13 years. Considering Friedrich's 'reputation' I feel burned and disappointed.

Bought A/C 7/16/2014. Was delivered 7/26/2014. No instruction manual or remote control unit in box. Store had to contact Friedrich warehouse in San Antonio, twice. And I emailed them after they sent a manual but no remote. Didn't get remote till 8/24. In the meanwhile, unit after a few days, started to leak water from left inside corner. Store sent 2 men 8/13/2014 to drill a hole in back and insert shims to tilt unit. Worked fine until yesterday night 8/31/2014 when it happened again from the front middle. Will go back to store again. They have been quite cooperative; it's Friedrich I'm having doubts about. Maybe they gave me an old unit without remote or manual in box? Either way I'm getting tired of the leaking problem!

Bought a Friedrich AC. from PC Richards & Sons, July 10, 2014. Had a hole cut in wall to install AC on July 17. Very noisy when compressor kicked in, couldn't sleep. Called Friedrich, told to have Pete's Appliance come to fix on July 28. Put some foam in, didn't stop noise. Went to PC Richards Aug. 4, they had Pete's Appliance come again Aug. 8, still noisy, said a supervisor would have to come out, why I'll never know. I will never buy again at PC Richards, and never buy another Friedrich product. Nobody seems to care, mean time it cost me a lot of money and still no AC.

Bought this air conditioning 3 years ago... Now it's junk. Bad machine, dishonest salesperson - so sad.

I bought a new unit (SL28M30) and the fan was rattling. I had to work with Friedrich via telephone and get special diagrams of the parts because the parts manual did not even show the part that was missing! A small collar around the fan drive was missing! Brand new $1500 unit! They offered to send a technician, but I'm thinking, "Oh boy, here we go. I have to have a technician come in for a BRAND NEW unit???!!! No way." I made a simple collar and put it on the unit. It worked fine. But I have had to pull this large unit out of the wall a dozen times to adjust this and clean that - what a pain. That was 2010. The unit became unusable in 2013. The last unit we had looked like it was at least 20 years old - that was the one we replaced. Now this unit is a goner in 3 years with limited use! Stay away from Friedrich AC!!!

Unit shut itself off and will not turn itself back on unless I push power button twice. Called the person I purchase the unit from Jarmon Air Conditioner only days after installation. He came out and told me that there was nothing wrong with the unit. I threatened Better Business Bureau and a attorney. He then advised me of a firmware upgrade that this unit needed. When he place the flash drive in it he blew the board then he attempted to change the board which blew the unit. He then ordered and replace the unit with the same model #, said he tested it. You guess it, it has the same problem AAAAHHHH. Called Friedrich. They sent me a flash drive to install. No way will I even try it. Had no idea. I thought I was buying a good unit since it was to be install in the wall. I spent 1,800.00. So sad.

I bought a Friedrich window unit air conditioner for my garage. It broke near the end of the first summer of use. It took a month to get the replacement part and get it fixed. It broke at the beginning of the second summer. It took a month to get a replacement unit. Customer service was not helpful. Avoid Friedrich air conditioners!

Model P12B (portable A/C unit ) - This A/C unit takes up a big space in the room, much more than I had expected. The compressor seems to go off and on constantly making the unit extremely noisy. I keep the temperature setting on 72 degrees and the room temperature may vary from 3 or 4 degrees warmer or colder than the desired setting. Thank heavens I do not have this A/C in a bedroom. I cannot imagine trying to sleep with it going off and on. I do have the unit in the family room and the TV volume has to be constantly adjusted with the operation of the air conditioner unit. I guess I am stuck with this one, but I would not buy another one or recommend this product to anyone.

Friedrich / Kuhl 5400 btu - Not very impressed with this unit but since I went through the time to mount the wall sleeve, I will stay with it I guess... Already I have a unit that has escaped the firmware mods made to this unit control. My unit fan shuts off continually even though I have it set on continuous fan! Lost some sleep with that thing going on and off all night. They are sending me the USB chip fix... Now when and will it do the trick? Tried my remote and it automatically changes things into auto fan, which I don't want while I sleep! So let's hope the chip fix cures that also?

At around twice to three times the cost of a Home Depot throw away or what I had before this Friedrich.... It's not any quieter than my DAEWOO unit... In fact the Friedrich needs some work on the blower design (foam form) that they use because you can hear air hunting around in the unit for a smooth escape??? Kind of an annoying flutter sound, not as flowing as my DAEWOO unit... Any speed by the way makes this blocked-air-sort-of fluttering noise. Compressor vibe is not dazzling as well... You can still hear the compressor hum even though its brick wall anchored in my case. Disappointing... NOT going to use the WiFi feature as I don't want to push my luck. I just wanted a hearty and quiet unit for sleeping mode... with a fan that doesn't cycle all night!

The ONE good thing that I like is the easy access to the cold coil for cleaning!! The other units give you filter cleaning access, but you can't keep the cold coil clear of build-up crap unless you can easily see it! That's what it did in my DAEWOO. I consistently cleaned the filter, but the cold coil STILL managed to become clogged with micro-dust because it was a major pain to remove the front grill! Okay Friedrich/Kuhl unit... You get some points here for easy cleaning of the coil face. Awaiting my zap chip to make my fan stay on... Let's see how that goes... Would I do this again? NO!

Friedrich Air Conditioner Company Profile