1.41/5
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratings

46 Friedrich Air Conditioner Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased 2 Friedrich dehumidifiers from Allergy Supply. Both still under warranty. They worked well until this year when the one in my basement stopped working. Would not pull humidity out and the pump would not work. This was in June 2018. I called Friedrich who directed me to a local service center who I paid, and they said the unit had low freon and could not be serviced. Funny you can recharge AC in a car but not for a home. I called Friedrich again and they said I needed the tag from the unit and other docs.

So back to the service center, who put the tag on the back of their service order (per Friedrich instructions they said). I collected all other docs and scanned them all before mailing. Friedrich claims they never received my docs and so I emailed the scanned docs which they accepted except for the unit tag. I called them today (09/17/2018) to appeal to them as our basement is now getting mold again. They agreed to replace it with the scanned docs and said it would be 10 to 14 business days for delivery. Really? 3 months of this? Come on!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I got a Friedrich unit that heats and cools through our power company 11 years ago. I'm on the 6th one now and it's tore up!!! Every single one of these things are junk!!! We paid over $1500 in the beginning and kept warranty the entire 10 years that we could. Well now that 10 years is up and our 6th one has quit! The longest we've kept one is like 2 years and that's their life expectancy! The others tore up within months! Do NOT waste your money on this garbage!!! Before this one finally just stopped it would constantly run the actual, we had to manually cut it off. Needless to say whenever we were away it just constantly ran the actual so guess what??? Now my budget billing is nearly double what is used to be. Take my word, DO NOT buy one!!! Wish I could give it a -10??? Because I would!

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Just bought a new Friedrich CP06, 6000 BTU window A/C unit. The adjustable side curtains are too short for the window width. The window is a standard egress window which is required by the building code. It's 40" wide and the A/C unit only fits a 36" wide window. I have another Friedrich A/C which fits the 40" window. Customer service told me to cut plywood to fill the holes. REALLY?

Original review: July 17, 2018

Looks can be deceiving. This Kuhl model (Friedrich SM24N30A 23,500 BTU through sleeve a/c) is sleek and modern and quiet but primarily that's not why you buy it. Performance is everything and for 3.5 years that's what we got. Then it started to freeze up after 8 hours. After 6 hours. After 4 hours. After 2 hours. We had purchased a 5 year major component warranty. Friedrich told me to talk to them. Friedrich wouldn't even admit it was a problem with their unit. They said my room must be too small. When I told them it was 47x14 with a 12 ft. ceiling their response was, "We can't help you".

The company that I'm now working with has ordered a new compressor but Friedrich can't tell them when it will be shipped. In fact the firm who works with the extended warranty told us that the wrong size compressor had been installed in the unit at the factory and as an authorized Friedrich repair shop they would know the difference. One person at Frieidrich admitted it could happen. Another told them that's impossible. We're at the height of the summer and now we have to rent a loaner until they get the right compressor in. My recommendation: Buy a Friedrich at your own peril.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We build and operate apartments. This last year we built 4 new buildings. We purchased 69 large Friedrich AC units and 16 bedroom size for these buildings. We bought the AC units in January - finished buildings in October - began to rent them out. We have had a 20% failure rate and the folks at Friedrich said “not under warranty" anymore. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! It was mostly computer brain failure. They will never get a dime of our money again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I've had Friedrich Air-conditioning products for many years. I replace a huge device after 20 years and system died. Understandable. The new Friedrich through the wall, model EP12G33B was purchased and installed by PC Richards. System has a remote control. Everything worked well... Until the past week. The computer went wacky. Even if you turned off the Air-conditioning the compressor still ran. Crackling noise started to come out of unit. Then it just stopped working. After 2 years? A small fortune went into this unit. Filters changed and always unplugged while away.

Will my house burn down because of this? I'm sure the unit is not in warranty. What happened to Friedrich Corp?? I see many other NJ/NY complaints. Could we have gotten a bad batch? If anyone else has one of these units and have had the same problems, please let me know. I'm so terribly disappointed in the company. I hope when I contact them, they will make good on the unit.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I bought a new wall mount A/C (24000 BTU Friedrich) 2 yrs ago. It worked wonderfully for 1 month then quit. Warranty replaced the computer brain. 1 month later, a wire inside melted. Warranty fixed it again. It worked ok for the rest of that summer. Next summer, it is freezing up solid. The 1year warranty is almost up. Warranty replaced both evaporator AND condenser. 2 months later it is freezing up again.

Friedrich USED to be the best one could buy. Not anymore :( Today, they are the junkiest, most overpriced pieces of junk on the market, making sales only from their past reputation which is quickly becoming a stench. The refineries and chemical plants I work at used to all buy Friedrich exclusively. Now you see Frigidaires and GE's taking their places. This latest generation of junk is turning everyone away. I hate to see a good company go bad. I also hate to see my $1500 wasted like it was. Friedrick USED to be an A/C that was still working and got replaced because it got old and ugly and covered with rust. Now... it is just sad. RIP Friedrich.

Updated 11/3/2017: Just brought my Friedrich home from the dealer after its 4th warranty repair and its 3rd condenser coil installed (because the refrigerant had leaked out, causing it to freeze up into a ball of ice... again). Anyhow, got it installed, turned it on, enjoyed the cool breeze for about 90 minutes... ice ball again. Evaporator frozen solid. Waited weeks for the part, 120 miles driving to deliver and pick up the unit at the dealer... for 90 minutes of cooling. This is getting crazy.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I bought 2 window units in 4 years. I live in NJ where we use AC about 2 months a year. The 4 yr old unit stopped working. The coils ice freeze up. The filter and coils are clean, so it must have a leak. I was told I would have to pay $75 for a diagnostic fee, $300 labor for a sealed unit. The company only covers $100 labor, so I'm out $275 plus a fee to reinstall the window unit. I thought this was a quality company with a good 5 yr warranty. I was given no incentive to buy a new unit. Only told they couldn't do anything until I paid $75 fee. They have lost a customer. I found out this company also outsources the building of these units to Taiwan and Mexico. They used to build them in the US. Don't waste your money.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Purchased 2 large units, one went out in 2 months. The other was rarely used a 25,000 BTU I paid $1500 for. It was used 2 weeks a year. It blew out on me too. I feel like I have been ripped off big time, never again. I am going with those GE A/C they sell at Home Depot for a few hundred. I have had this GE I paid $150 for running great for 5 years now. Good bye to Friedrich for life! Beware. They make hunk of junks!

Original review: June 28, 2017

I purchased this M36TQYF1 3 WAY SPLIT SYSTEM 6/5/08 for my guest house in Palm Desert Ca. It worked fine till 2013 when it failed and I had to replace the motherboard, it worked fine again till the middle of 2016 when it failed again and now I am being told by the factory trained tech there are no parts to repair this unit and the entire system inside and out needs to be replaced. I am sorry but it is not acceptable for me to spend $6k total with installation for this unit and only get 8 years of service, especially since this unit was installed in my guest house and had minimal use.

After contacting Friedrich Co. to see what they can do for me so I will not take a total loss BECAUSE they do not provide parts to repair an 8 year old unit!! Their management said that 8 years is about what you would expect as a life expectancy for one of their units. As far as I'm concerned this company makes

an inferior product with a planned obsolescence and I WILL TELL EVERYONE NEVER TO BUY A FRIEDRICH PRODUCT.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I bought an dehumidifier last year to take care of uncontrollable mold... It arrived broken.. 300 bucks... They said if you want to return it you need to give us 150 dollars restocking fee... Can you believe that??? They want me to pay again even though they sent me a defective unit... 10 months later the replacement unit failed... Guess what... Same time the mold comes back... This time they want me to pay to ship it back... Well gee... It weighs like 50 pounds... So that means like 200 bucks to ship it back and no assurances... Next I got a local service guy... A month ago... He said sometimes it can take 3 months to get a part... IE the part he needs to fix it... So essentially I got the run around from these **!! At Friedrich and they did not honor their 1 year warranty... They suck big time... Never will I buy a unit from them again... They suck suck suck!!! Don't buy a Friedrich.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Bought the CP15G10A Friedrich Room Air Conditioner, 2 years ago, it was installed into a sleeve in the wall. Well one day it totally just stopped. There was only a 1 year warranty so we had a repair company come for $75 to tap it and it started working again. Ok a few days later the fan went into LOUD mode!! It was so loud it sounded like there was a blender running next to my bed, it was impossible to sleep with that noise!!! So the end result is to spend $1,200 to haul the piece of crap out and replace it!!! Don't waste your money on this piece of crap made in China!! Buying American made is more $$ but hopefully will last. I rarely write reviews, but I hope this helps someone else.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I've had my unit for two years. Within first month it was replaced. Problems with compressor. The only thing I can say good about this A/C is that it chills the room. Other than that, it sprays into my room dirt, pollution, bugs and water from the outside. My ledge is ruined. I have piles of dead bugs and the black soot from outside is coming thru the air vent. The NOISE level is so loud that I wear headphones to block it out. The repair person assigned is horrible to deal with. And I've tried to call manufacturers and never get anyone. When people come into my apt. they ask what that terrible noise is, as it sounds like a LOUD motor running. The feature of this unit was it's low sound. Well, it's NOTTT. Does anyone else have these issues?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I bought two of these Friedrich chill ACs -- one w/ 15 btu and one w/ 8 btu. They have minds of their own. They change settings frequently, never staying on the simple COOL at 75 degrees. They switch to money saver automatically, and/or they go off all the time. No matter what setting I am using (dehumidify) they won't stay on same setting. Wake up at night and the thing has gone off. I just want to keep on ONE setting but impossible on both ACs. No help from customer service. I paid a lot to have these installed and now I'm stuck with lemons.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I am very frustrated, bought a new unit (SL22n30B), and because these units are so costly, I thought this would be a high-end product and also could expect decent customer service. Come to find out after installing this very heavy unit that the front control panel is not working. I called technical assistance and got many names and phone nos. of service dealers, but they either didn't want to work on this unit (too many BTU's??), they were not licensed for my area, or I was too far away for them, some of them were actually very rude and one even hung up on me. In the end after 3 hours on the phone, I had to call P.C. Richards and Son where I purchased the unit, and after they confirmed no one would service it, I'm getting an exchange, but now I have to uninstall this unit and reinstall the replacement, which is not straightforward as you must realize.

I guess I'm going to have to pray that the next unit is OK, or that the unit never needs a repair in the future (unlikely from what I am reading in other reviews), as I have no way apparently to get it serviced... What kind of customer service is this for a high end product like this? At first I was thinking to, with time, replace all my A/C's with Friedrich ones, but I'm definitely having second thoughts on that now. Not even a week after purchasing it, my frustration level is through the roof... An unhappy first time customer of a Friedrich A/C unit, and apparently not the only one.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I bought a Friedrich 18,000 BTU window air conditioner back in April, 2015 from Conn's Appliances store and unit worked fine until August 2, 2016 when it completely went out. I called Conn's repair services since that was the place I bought it. As I sit writing this review the repairman has only been once and that was on 8/9/2016 to repair the unit (air conditioner). Today they are just coming back after having to order parts and canceling scheduled appointments. I have waited through triple digit heat waiting for repair of my unit. I am very disappointed in the air conditioner only lasting for a year and paying a large sum of money for something that would not last longer than a year. I do not understand why I have to give a rating at all since I did not get service from the unit and no replacement of the unit. I will not purchase another Friedrich Air Conditioner and will never buy another appliance or anything from Conn's again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

We purchased a split system unit about 1 month ago online. We installed it and it worked for about 2 weeks then just stopped. I called for support and they start telling me they don't think they can find anyone to service but will work on it and call me back, no call back... nothing for days. I call again, they tell me something similar and promise another call back, I trust them only to hear nothing. I call again, anger is starting to show, I give them everything they ask for and still hear nothing!!! I would never buy anything from them. Worst customer service and product I have ever seen!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I purchased a Friedrich "N" model Air conditioner from LivingDirect for $1179.00, weeks ago, because I have to have remote control capability. Right off the bat the model number was not available in the firmware drop down list. The setup was not for a novice but then I'm not. The setup failed halfway through due to the "Kuhl" control unit's inability to communicate with the Internet on my Zyxel CenturyLink Modem, through a special port. Friedrich said it was the Modem or the setup. I'm not a novice with modems or routers either, but I called CenturyLink. Their techs and I troubleshot the Modem and my Local Area Network, at yet more additional expense to me. The modems, and the LAN are all working properly and the port(s) needed are "OPEN." I informed Friedrich's customer service who said the tech support would call me back shortly. Three weeks and a dozen phone calls later, "Not a peep out of Friedrich."

Everything being said and tested, it only leaves the Kuhl plug-in adapter and/or device that are the likely culprits. However Friedrich seems to want to ignore the problem instead of sending me a new adapter and/or device. One of their customer service agents actually suggested I "box up the entire air conditioner and return it." I asked who was going to cover deconstruction costs?" Result now - absolute "SILENCE!" Now I'd like to be clear here. LivingDirect has done everything possible to help resolve the problem and seem to be as upset with Friedrich as I am. I do not hold them culpable in this matter. They have even suggested replacing it with another brand but I cannot afford the deconstruction and reconstruction costs in money and loss of time on the project.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

I bought a brand new (through the wall sleeve) unit from P. C. Richard & Son. It didn't work correctly, straight out of the box (specifically, the compressor would randomly go off, thereby preventing the unit from cooling the room). I contacted P. C. Richard & Son, and learned that Friedrich has a policy that requires that you contact their service department for them to inspect the unit. Whoever heard of such a thing? A brand new unit? It should have been replaced immediately. Their service department is unreachable on the weekend, and when I finally got a hold of them on Monday, they said that their earliest appointment was two days later! So, as a result, I have had to suffer with a bedroom with no air conditioning during this unbearable heat wave. They are the worst, and I would never buy from such a company again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

This unit cost us over $400.00 and we have had trouble with it from the second month with moisture in the green box where temp. is located. Control panel was changed and the moisture is back. Place we bought it is giving us the runaround so we had to locate another dealer. Friedrich was nice enough to give us another dealer's name. I am glad they agreed to come fix it since it is not even 1 year old yet. We got a lemon! I give their product a 2 star.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Paid 800$ for a 24,000 BTU Friedrich air conditioner 5/14/2015. Live in Buffalo, NY. Only have about 3-4 months of summer heat here. Used this Friedrich 2 1/2 months after buying last year. Took it out of window, store it in a room in house thru winter. Put it back in window this June 2016. Have used 2 months this summer so far. So it's 14 months old, have used it 4 1/2 months. Of the 14 it shuts off constantly, flashes letters CH THEN FLASHES NUMBER 34. No one can tell me what this means. It's a huge air conditioner. Friedrich wants to do nothing about this piece of crap air conditioner that we bought. Still making payments on it, and there this beast of a machine sits while we sit in 90-degree heat which I might add is very unusual for us in Buffalo, NY and it's not working.

I've called Friedrich. They say this number means air conditioner has been running too long!!! Excuse me??? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the purpose of an air conditioner when's it's hot outside to run it?? Why the heck did we buy this expensive thing if we can't use it?? Friedrich YOU HAVE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! YOUR PRODUCT IS CRAP! I've been in management for going on 10 years now. I would and have never treated my customers like you have us!!! You sold us a brand new PIECE OF CRAP!! Because of the way you have handled my situation of using your product for 4 1/2 months and it died I WILL BE LETTING as many people as I can about your product and your poor customer service!!! I hope your company is proud of your crappy ways!!! Frustrated and mad. You want to buy this crap back??

Original review: March 25, 2016

AVOID FRIEDRICH AT ALL COSTS!! AVOID PC RICHARD AND SON COMPLETELY! I purchased a Friedrich Chill CP 10 from Adrian at the PC Richard store in Rego Park NY (he is now at the Forest Hills Store). The Unit lasted only 2 seasons, and is just plain junk!

Original review: March 10, 2016

Having purchased several years ago 4 of the very expensive 32,000 BTU air conditioners from Friedrich for my company and being very satisfied I decided to replace my Westinghouse air conditioner in my apartment which I had for over 18 years and which still was fully functional with a new Friedrich unit based on it being more energy efficient. What a mistake!!! I purchased a cp12c10 on 5/26/07. The compressor went within 2 years. It was replaced in the spring of 2009. Once again the compressor blew in the spring of 2012. Once again after much fighting with Friedrich, it was for the fourth time in a span of 7 years replaced on 4/12/14. This replacement unit for the last 5 months has been making a racket like the sound of a jet engine when the compressor kicks in.

Once again I battled with Friedrich consumer affairs over this inferior product. I even offered at this point to buy their best & most expensive unit if they would credit me for this malfunctioning unit. They absolutely refused telling me that the warranty period had elapsed. On a unit that is under 2 years old!! What a disgrace & shame that a company that at one time had such a fine reputation has declined so rapidly. I read previous reviews and complaints about Friedrich and see that my utter disgust & dissatisfaction are corroborated.

I researched the source of the problem & here is the root of the problem. Friedrich as so much of corporate America is outsourcing their units to China in order to corner the market for the less expensive units which at one time they did not market. Up until recently their pricier SS units were made in America. Now it's my understanding that even the SS units are now being made in Mexico. Wow, do we ever now need Donald Trump to turn this mess around!! Goodbye to Friedrich!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

I bought three a/c in the wall units, 6000 BTU, one of the unit had a loud comp., and the air sweep stayed on when the unit cycled off. I search for the service comp., I found out that only one comp. in LA county and it's one man comp. The other closest comp. was 40 miles away and they refused to come. He came and told me that he needs to change the comp., but Friedrich refused to pay for the repairs and they informed me that they will replace the unit but they did not have it in stock and I had to wait until Apr. 2016!!! I told them that I will contact the company I bought the AC from and maybe they have it in stock. After back and forth with the customer service at Friedrich it took two month to go through, and I got the replacement unit, but it had a cracked part.

I called the distributor and he called the service comp. in LA, CA. to replace the part. I did the research and I got the part # and gave it to the service comp. Three weeks later he told that he did not get the part yet, SEARS has in stock!!? He was rude and told me that when he get the part he will call me and he refused to tell me where he ordered the part from??! Do not buy Friedrich AC unit.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

The first I have purchased in the Kuhl line and I am very impressed. The wi-fi is a very good option to turn on and cool your room from somewhere other than home. It is built very well like a commercial line of a/cs. The remote lights up so you can see it in the dark and the display on the a/c is adjustable so it won't be too bright. A heavy duty quiet well made a/c but rather expensive. Produced in Monterrey Mexico at the Friedrich plant. I have heard bad reviews about it but that may be because they expect much more for the purchase price. I find that you get more.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

I bought 2 Friedrich air conditioners made in China since they were half the price of an American made unit. I was replacing a large unit on the living room and a small unit for the bedroom. I quickly found out that none of today's air conditioners fit in the sleeves that were built into my house. Both units were installed by filling in the space around the sides. Both units came with remotes. They work fine and the units have proven to hold up to constant use during the hot summer days. The digital thermostats work great and the remotes control all the power saver features. I keep the remote on the night table and if I wake up warm or want to turn it down the remote does the trick.

Needless to say, the salesman at PC Richard told me these were inferior to their American made counterparts. From the reviews I'm reading, I think I made a good choice. I also saved a bunch on the purchases, as they were half the price of the USA made product. There was also no need for the manual as the unit is very user friendly. I hope it lasts.

Original review: July 3, 2015

AC sounds like a jet engine taking off continually throughout the night and day. No sleep. Some gray foam liner inside the unit chewed up by the motor and blew out.. I would like a new air conditioner in a different model to replace the one we have. It's BEEN a lemon since the day we bought it. Friedrich AC Model #XQ08M10 Serial number AKLX00616.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I purchased a Friedrich Portable AC model P12B A in August 2013. I have used it no more than five times. I used it last Friday and will never use it again. The unit overheated and did not warn me or shut off. I just noticed after six hours of use the room was warmer than when I had first turned it on. I touched the window by the exhaust and nearly burned my hand. The unit had the potential to cause a house fire. I have two of these units. Only one did this.

I called Friedrich and they are not concerned with the danger of this product. I will have to pay for the unit to be repaired. They may cover the cost of the part. It will be just as cost effective to buy a new unit. This time from another manufacturer. Friedrich didn't even seem concerned to find out the cause. I'll never buy another product from them! Unfortunately, I bought three Friedrich units that summer, trusting the company from its prior reputation. They all have their issues. However, almost causing a fire is huge! Friedrich does not care about consumer safety. I'll never trust them again!

Original review: June 2, 2015

I just got 5,000 & 15,000 units. It's too early to tell how the units will operate and stand up but I can say that manual seems to have been written by someone who knows little about the unit and then poorly translated into English. With parts that often are not in proper English. When I called for more information I did seem to get someone in the USA but they knew absolutely nothing -- they even said that all they had was the information in the manual. So they were unable to clarify anything, just repeat the same uninformative information.

Original review: May 19, 2015

When my Mother had been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer I had a room added to my home. Our heating and AC for the home couldn't support this addition. Our contractor had a Friedrich AC/Heat Wall Unit installed. It worked just fine for the first two years. When my Mother passed I was unable to bring myself to use her room. For three years no one used the addition. Then my son moved into the room in 2009 and the unit worked Okay. Then in 2012 my son went away to college.

In 2014 my son returned. This when the unit started acting up. We tried everything that was suggested to us from the manufacturer. It started freezing up on the exterior and my husband told my son don't use it any longer. The heat portion had already stopped working. In March 2015 my husband unexpectedly passed away. I have not been able to even think about getting the unit fixed until now. Unfortunately, I am not financially able to pay a huge repair bill. Nor do I feel I should have to as the unit was barely used. I realize the unit was installed in 2002. However, the unit was only used for three of those years. Also, the unit wasn't used much. Only when it was extremely hot or extremely cold.

Friedrich Air Conditioner expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Friedrich is an air conditioner manufacturing company with a long history of technological innovation. Founded in 1883, Friedrich developed one of the first food refrigeration systems. By the 1950s, Friedrich was a leader in the commercial refrigeration industry and expanded to air conditioning units. They now specialize in both residential and commercial air conditioning systems, sold at dealers nationwide.

• Manufacturing focus: Friedrich prides itself on manufacturing only air conditioners. Unlike other major manufacturing companies, it does not offer other consumer appliances, instead focusing only on air conditioners in order to be an industry leader and expert.

• Product selection: Friedrich offers many residential air conditioning options, including window units, through-the-wall room air conditioners, ductless systems, portable units and air purifiers. The systems are available in cooling only or cooling and heating to fit your needs.

• Product rebates: Friedrich offers several rebate programs to help you save money on your new air conditioner. Check the website to see which models are currently eligible for a rebate.

• Innovative remote-controlling technology: Friedrich uses a web portal called Friedrich Link to help you manage your air conditioning units. You can use any Internet-connected mobile device or computer to set up an account and control your air conditioner remotely. You can even set up your units on a schedule to automatically go on or off at set times during the week.

• Helpful website and customer service: Air conditioning units can be complicated, but Friedrich’s helpful support website offers information about each unit, how-to videos, downloadable manuals and brochures, frequently asked questions and more. Friedrich’s customer service representatives are available by phone, mail or through a contact form on their website.

• Best for: homeowners, renters and business owners who need air conditioning solutions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs