2. Homeowners
  3. Air Conditioners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Friedrich Air Conditioner Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

Original review: May 13, 2021

Friedrich a/c rebate is a scam as stated by others on this site. I have been waiting for my rebate since summer 2020. It is now May 2021. When you call, they verify address and promise it is enroute. I also received an email confirmation that the check is on the way...again. They constantly try to blame my address that has never changed; I have NO issues receiving mail. I reported them to Better Business Bureau. They lied to BBB and claimed that they reached out to me to verify my address...yet again! I will report them to my state Consumer Affairs next. This is going on for several months now. Imagine the desperation of a corrupt business that prefers to play games with consumers rather than send a $30 rebate check. Friedrich has destroyed their reputation. I will never buy their products again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Purchased a Friedrich Room Air Conditioner in August. It came with a $30 rebate offer. Rebate will be sent in 4-6 weeks. It is now December. No rebate. I contacted "support". Don't bother calling as they don't answer. I emailed "support". I did get a reply that basically said... "Hey, we sent it to our rebate vendor (whatever that is) and they must be running behind. Your rebate was approved, it's just that they are running behind." I followed up with another email saying "I want my rebate now."... Reply..."I told you, they are running behind." I filed a complaint with the BBB (there were 32 complaints about Friedrich there before mine).

My advice... don't buy from this company. Research every major purchase you make. Google the company's name and add the word "complaints" or "Issues" to it. I also filed complaints with my state's Consumer Affairs Office and the Office of the Attorney General. I contacted the local Friedrich dealer (the one I purchased the unit from) and gave him the details. He said he would check out the BBB website and discuss it with other dealers in the area. I hope they stop buying from this company.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have been going through nothing but aggravation since I purchased a Friedrich thru the wall air conditioner (model UCT12a10a) in April 22, 2019, used it for four months, uncovered it this season only to have warm air coming from the unit. Because the year was up I had to go through Friedrich limited warranty. Due to (covid 19) every Friedrich repair shop in my area was closed, couldn't get anyone to come and check out the AC. The process with Friedrich went back and forth until June when I was told my only option was to go to a repair shop they recommended that was out of state to drop off the AC. Three weeks later received a call from the repair shop to pick up the ac. The ac worked for a few days only to have the same problem return.

Spoke to Friedrich hoping perhaps I could get some kind of replacement or refund and I was told my only option was to go back to the same repair shop to get it fixed. So again I went out of state to drop off the ac. I tried to leave feedback at PC Richards where I purchased the air conditioner, I received an email in August saying my feedback cannot be published to the website. I also received another email for my contact information so they can contact the vendor on my behalf to see if they can resolve the issue. I then received a phone call that the ac would be replaced, come to the store drop off the old unit and pick up the new ac. Well here I am again two months later with a replacement Friedrich UCT12A10A, same problem, warm air coming from the unit. I am DONE with Friedrich products!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I had a mini-split system installed and I am very disappointed. Thought I was buying a name brand in Friedrich but I am very disappointed and unhappy with the units. Indoor air handlers are noisy. Units shut off in the middle of the night without warning. Friedrich customer service is USELESS!! Don't even bother calling them. I am working with my HVAC installer to get the system replaced with another brand. Do yourself a big favor and choose another brand. Pay the extra $$ and get Mitsubishi or Fujitsu. I have learned the hard way!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Purchased 1st Friedrich mini split because company is based in Texas. I quickly discovered that the installation "manual" LOL was clearly not produced in the Lone Star State. THE MANUALS ARE TERRIBLE! That said, however, the units (I have personally now installed 3 of them) are quite good. Why did I buy the next 2? After the 1st install, I no longer needed the so called installation manual(s). I strongly suggest that before you purchase (if you plan to DIY) examine the installation manuals online. You will find for example that LG's documentation to be extensive and Friedrich's very minimal. -- I might add that a couple of calls to customer service dept were also less than satisfactory. I give the units 4 stars and the documentation 1 star.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Just getting someone on the phone is impossible, every-time is over an hour hold. I call to have assistance with setting up WiFi, which I have had no problem doing on older models. They rather tell you the times they “called” you Back than just set up the appointment to set up my WiFi. They are clueless, don’t actively listen to what you need, and condescending. If I didn’t hardwire these ac’s into the wall I would throw them In the trash! Beyond so stressful trying to get any help from this company. Ac don’t get that cold and are so much louder than older models. These will be my last ac purchases from them.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Friedrich Mini Split AC 12,000 BTU are very Good, Easy Option for Older Buildings which do not have Space for regular AC, unit with Installation completed in 1 Day. Cost $1500, it's silent, Efficient & perfect for 500 SF Room, only Inconvenience was very hard to have a Remote Replaced after it got damaged. I had to wait for 4 months.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Received air conditioner. Don't work. Tried to call Friedrich. Got disconnected 3 times. Left number to call back. No call back! Remote is a joke. You have to stand on step stool for it to work. Smart part is a joke! Why can't you buy a thru the wall with just a remote? This is the worst of all. Do not buy! The remote sensor is at the ceiling??? Therefore it don't work unless you get a step stool and get above it! Should give you a step stool with every unit they sell. Why wouldn't you make a control panel that can be seen and works with a remote if your unit is up high??? Why would you make a remote that only has three buttons but you can't see anything?

I think they need a new CEO to run this company. I want to return this unit with full refund and find another brand! I can't get help with this brand new machine that will not run! Place where I bought it from I think is ready to get rid of dealing with Friedrich! They also comment on no one can run the smart part! They have more problems with computer part than any other thing! DO NOT BUY! IT. People can't figure this out!

Original review: March 13, 2020

I purchased a Friedrich air conditioner in November of 2019 and was promised a rebate of $40.00 within six weeks of purchase after completing the required forms with George **. I called the rebate department in January because I had not received any rebate. I spoke with George and asked to speak to his supervisor who is Jeffery **. Jeffery promised that he would check into the matter and give me an update. Never heard back from Jeffery so I called back and spoke to George again and asked for Jeffery's supervisor. George informed me that Jeffery's supervisor was Jackie **. When I spoke to Jackie, she informed me that she was not the supervisor and that I needed to speak with Jeffery. So you can see where this is going and to date, March 13, 2020, I have yet to receive the rebate that was promised to me in November 2019!! BEWARE OF Friedrich Air Conditioner rebate promises. They do not make good on them!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Recently installed 4 Friedrich through the wall air conditioning/heating units at over $1000 per unit. They are extremely noisy. Thermostats on units are unreliable. Had an authorized Tech service guy come in to look at them. He agreed they were noisy but couldn't do anything about the noise level or the faulty thermostat. Contacted Friedrich headquarters to no avail. Despite the fact that they are (falsely) marketed as quiet units headquarters guy told me the warranty doesn't cover noise level. He didn't address the thermostat issue at all. Guess that isn't covered either.

Friedrich Air Conditioner author review by ConsumerAffairs

Friedrich is an air conditioner manufacturing company with a long history of technological innovation. Founded in 1883, Friedrich developed one of the first food refrigeration systems. By the 1950s, Friedrich was a leader in the commercial refrigeration industry and expanded to air conditioning units. They now specialize in both residential and commercial air conditioning systems, sold at dealers nationwide.

• Manufacturing focus: Friedrich prides itself on manufacturing only air conditioners. Unlike other major manufacturing companies, it does not offer other consumer appliances, instead focusing only on air conditioners in order to be an industry leader and expert.

• Product selection: Friedrich offers many residential air conditioning options, including window units, through-the-wall room air conditioners, ductless systems, portable units and air purifiers. The systems are available in cooling only or cooling and heating to fit your needs.

• Product rebates: Friedrich offers several rebate programs to help you save money on your new air conditioner. Check the website to see which models are currently eligible for a rebate.

• Innovative remote-controlling technology: Friedrich uses a web portal called Friedrich Link to help you manage your air conditioning units. You can use any Internet-connected mobile device or computer to set up an account and control your air conditioner remotely. You can even set up your units on a schedule to automatically go on or off at set times during the week.

• Helpful website and customer service: Air conditioning units can be complicated, but Friedrich’s helpful support website offers information about each unit, how-to videos, downloadable manuals and brochures, frequently asked questions and more. Friedrich’s customer service representatives are available by phone, mail or through a contact form on their website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team