4.1/5 (195 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Friedrich Air Conditioner

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Friedrich Air Conditioner Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

Original review: June 18, 2020

Friedrich Mini Split AC 12,000 BTU are very Good, Easy Option for Older Buildings which do not have Space for regular AC, unit with Installation completed in 1 Day. Cost $1500, it's silent, Efficient & perfect for 500 SF Room, only Inconvenience was very hard to have a Remote Replaced after it got damaged. I had to wait for 4 months.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Received air conditioner. Don't work. Tried to call Friedrich. Got disconnected 3 times. Left number to call back. No call back! Remote is a joke. You have to stand on step stool for it to work. Smart part is a joke! Why can't you buy a thru the wall with just a remote? This is the worst of all. Do not buy! The remote sensor is at the ceiling??? Therefore it don't work unless you get a step stool and get above it! Should give you a step stool with every unit they sell. Why wouldn't you make a control panel that can be seen and works with a remote if your unit is up high??? Why would you make a remote that only has three buttons but you can't see anything?

I think they need a new CEO to run this company. I want to return this unit with full refund and find another brand! I can't get help with this brand new machine that will not run! Place where I bought it from I think is ready to get rid of dealing with Friedrich! They also comment on no one can run the smart part! They have more problems with computer part than any other thing! DO NOT BUY! IT. People can't figure this out!

Original review: March 13, 2020

I purchased a Friedrich air conditioner in November of 2019 and was promised a rebate of $40.00 within six weeks of purchase after completing the required forms with George **. I called the rebate department in January because I had not received any rebate. I spoke with George and asked to speak to his supervisor who is Jeffery **. Jeffery promised that he would check into the matter and give me an update. Never heard back from Jeffery so I called back and spoke to George again and asked for Jeffery's supervisor. George informed me that Jeffery's supervisor was Jackie **. When I spoke to Jackie, she informed me that she was not the supervisor and that I needed to speak with Jeffery. So you can see where this is going and to date, March 13, 2020, I have yet to receive the rebate that was promised to me in November 2019!! BEWARE OF Friedrich Air Conditioner rebate promises. They do not make good on them!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Recently installed 4 Friedrich through the wall air conditioning/heating units at over $1000 per unit. They are extremely noisy. Thermostats on units are unreliable. Had an authorized Tech service guy come in to look at them. He agreed they were noisy but couldn't do anything about the noise level or the faulty thermostat. Contacted Friedrich headquarters to no avail. Despite the fact that they are (falsely) marketed as quiet units headquarters guy told me the warranty doesn't cover noise level. He didn't address the thermostat issue at all. Guess that isn't covered either.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I thought this was a top brand. I bought 4 Friedrich air conditioners. They have given me nothing but problems. Break frequently and have had to be replaced countless times. The installation also costs more than just buying new air conditioners every year and is a major headache.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

This 24,000 BTU window air conditioner did not even last three before it started having issues. To start with you had to use the remote after just one year as the buttons on the unit stopped working. After just two and a half years I knew that it was not as cold as it used to be and this was proven just before I replaced it. I took a digital thermometer at the discharge and the coldest it would get was 75.5 degrees. Fast forward two hours after the new LG was installed. I was reading 58.5 degrees on the discharge.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My large Friedrich window unit/heater required a repair costing almost as much as the unit after two years and wasn't covered under the warranty. It was a total loss. The fan motor started making noise and the technician said it needed to be replaced. $450! I'll never buy this name brand again. Very very disappointed. I had over $900 in this unit with the extended warranty. I feel completely ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Updated on 06/04/2020: I posted a review here last September of my brand-new Friedrich wall unit. It was very long, and very unfavorable. This is an update: Went to use the A/C for the first time this summer. Temps in the upper 80s today. It doesn't work. Spent 40 minutes on hold with Friedrich trying to get help and was disconnected. Texted the special tech support guy I was connected with by my installer last summer, he hasn't responded. DO. NOT. BUY. THIS. AIR CONDITIONER.

Original Review: Wish I could give zero stars. The apartment I purchased several years ago was equipped with a Friedrich wall unit that was at least 25 years old and incredibly loud. I would often turn if off, even in the dead of summer, because I simply couldn't take the noise — it was literally impossible to put the TV loud enough to hear over it. I finally decided to replace it this summer. I was excited to get a new, higher-tech, quieter AC. The installer, who obviously has a deal with the company, only recommended a Friedrich — essentially an updated version of the unit I had. He said it would be quieter because it was so much newer. Showed me a brochure that touted the brand's "QuietMaster" technology. Lol.

Off the bat, the unit I was sold made an intermittent clicking noise. Install company sent a repairman. Seemed to be fixed, but a few hours later, the clicking noise was back. A few weeks later they replaced the unit altogether — only the new one is even louder and more disruptive than the last. There is a constant ringing/buzzing noise above the whoosh of the fan. Occasionally a flutter in the fan too, just for fun. The ringing burrows so deep into my head that I hear it for a while even after the unit shuts off. I have numerous times turned the whole thing off before it reaches the designated set-point temperature because I can't handle the sound. I have even had visitors to my apartment request that I turn it off because of the noise.

Some days I just leave it off entirely, despite the fact that it's summer in NY and we've had temperatures above 85 for weeks. As with the much older model, it is almost impossible to put the television loud enough to hear it clearly over the clatter. The other night I was approaching my building on foot from down the block and heard what I thought was the sound of a very loud generator. I suspected it was on the roof of a neighboring building. As I got closer to home I realized the sound I was hearing was my own AC echoing down the street. As others have pointed out, it sounds like a jet is idling in the wall. Or a refrigeration truck.

Beyond the noise, this hulking, hideous (despite its supposedly sleeker design) machine has plenty of problems: a remote that works only if you point it not at the unit in general, because that would make too much sense, but directly at the small, upward-facing, top-left display panel. It is a wall unit that sits eight feet off the floor. I'm lucky that I have a lofted bedroom, so at least I can walk up a flight of stairs to point the remote down toward the display panel so it will work. Of course that completely defeats the purported convenience of, y'know, a remote. I heard from the install team that they get lots of complaints from people who simply can't use the remote at all because of how their room is configured. If I couldn't use it I would need to keep a full-sized ladder next to my air conditioner in case I needed to make adjustments manually via the display panel. Cool.

The manual is nonsensical and full of mistakes; initial set-up on unit one took about three hours of my life. Even my boyfriend, who is adept at these types of things, pitched in and found the manual infuriating. Also, the tech features the company touts are a joke. The app is not compatible with iPhones; you'd think someone selling you this very costly device would mention that, but instead they just wax on about how great it is that you will be able to use an app to control your machine from anywhere. Except...you won't. (Congratulations, though, Droid users.)

Setting up the Wifi at all was so complicated the installer ultimately connected me with another AC guy at a different company who specializes in helping people with the Friedrich app. (Side note: There are two Friedrich apps available when you do a search in the app store. One apparently is the "wrong" one. The only way I found out was from this guy telling me after the fact, after I'd downloaded the bad one and had all kinds of trouble. Anyone who doesn't have the benefit of help like I did wouldn't know.) He was the one who confessed that the app is not iPhone-compatible, then said, all easy-breezy, that I can just pull up the website via a browser on my phone. Which defeats the purported convenience of, y'know, an app. (By the way, you have to completely log out and then log back in to the site whenever you want to make an adjustment to the controls.)

Then he talked about how great it is that the site shows a bunch of data readings from my machine that are complete gibberish to a consumer but apparently tell repairmen things they might need to know if they ever have to come fix a problem. Um, OK. I don't care about digits, acronyms, and graphs that makes no sense to me. Consumers want a functional *consumer* product. He also said that Friedrich is making improvements to the app "every day." Note to Friedrich: How about don't beta-test your app on consumers who've paid thousands of dollars for a piece of machinery whose manufacturer brags about its technological advancements? Also, the room temperature readings the site shows based on the device's thermostat always seem WAY off. Like by 5-10 degrees.

This machine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200. With installation/labor, I paid $2,000. For a hunk of junk that is still so loud and irritating I mostly keep it turned off unless it is really sweltering. I purchased the model that heats, too, since the heat in my building is terrible. But I already know I won't be using it this winter because of the noise. This experience has been miserable. Weeks of back and forth with the installer, and it's still not over. I will never, ever buy Friedrich again and would never recommend it to anyone, and I told the installer as much. And if you work with a dealer/installer who only recommends Friedrich and no other brands, run the other way.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

On 3rd unit in 3 weeks--horrible quality control. Thru wall unit preexisting so not a lot of options to replace. Poorly made and premium pricing--not a good combination! Rarely write reviews of products but this is so egregious that maybe the company will address these issues.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

On July 16th I had a very expensive, top of the line Friedrich Kuhl KCL28A30A 28000 BTU through the wall unit installed. 2 days later it stopped working, waited a week to get service, only to hear the compressor wasn't kicking on / problem with mother board. Waited 5 more days to get new replacement unit, since Friedrich doesn't repair this model "too new" I was told. Unit worked nicely for next 7 days but unable to use all the bells & whistles built into the process. Timer, Wifi features DO NOT WORK. Then on 8th day SAME PROBLEM, compressor wont kick on. Friedrich does not seem to provide ANY customer service. I have called several times only to be out on hold & once line was finally picked up, it was promptly disconnected. RUDE & UNWORTHY of what this company once stood for.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I wish I had read these reviews first. Sadly, I replaced my old Friedrich through-the-wall which ran for twenty years, with a new one, and while it looks great, the digital panel often stops working all together...this a month after installation. The surge protector built into their plug is not tripped, so it appears to be in a poor display circuit. And forget about trying to set up Wifi, I am convinced it was a marketing gimmick that never was designed to work. Sadly, I could find no other brand to fit the sleeve, so instead of replacing this, based on these reviews, I will hire a carpenter to resize this for another brand.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Brand new Friedrich air conditioner worked fine until just before the warranty ended. The control panel would not work. They repaired it and then several months later, same issue. Now they will not do anything. Poor quality + poor service = never a Friedrich product again.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I had a brand new unit installed in my garden. It cost $3300 with labor. After one month of minor usage, it stopped working and displayed error code CH 38 (the four way valve is abnormal). Now I have to wait for a repair or a replacement unit, meanwhile summer is getting hotter and my garden is adversely affected. I did not expect a brand new unit to break down after just one month, especially for how much it cost. This is just an example of poor manufacturing.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Update on 10/02/2019: Well I'm back. Two A/C's later, 4 louver fronts later. The unit still has an inherent rattle in the front cover. I even tried WD40 spray to no avail. The compressor also still sounded like a small jet engine. When I removed the old front to put on the new one to my shock the whole inside has styrofoam. No wonder why the darn thing is so noisy. I would have never thought a Friedrich would have a styrofoam interior.

I didn't want the hassle of returning this unit again etc, so I bought 3/8" sound deadening foam tape. I covered much of the styrofoam with it and installed the new cover. Well, it's not a perfect fix but it worked. I can now hear my TV and the decibel level I can live with. I paid over 1000.00 for this unit plus many hours waiting for installation. I have probably had at least 4 installers come to my home. Most of the installers said Friedrich new models are not what they used to be, wish I had known. BUYER BEWARE is my opinion. What a nightmare. Note this unit is made in Mexico not in Texas as I thought it was. Then again what is..

Original: The new model KCS14 is the second one I got after sending the first one back. I could very easily send this one back also. Very sad to even report this. The front grill has an inherent rattle which starts to drive you crazy. It rattled on the first unit I returned and rattles on the second one as well. And as the other review it does sound like a small jet engine even after I screwed down the window frame that could possibly amplify any sound. I can live with it but at these prices, why. You have to play with the slide switch on the grill to find a setting where it doesn't rattle, but it doesn't stay like that, so you constantly have to get up and move the slide switch again. Friedrich authorized dealer states you can always get a replacement grill but after having two already I'm snake bit to get another one.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My mother bought 3 of the same unit. House is airtight. Within 3-4 of purchase, 2 barely squeak out cold before turning in to fans, and one stopped working all together. So, because they couldn't find another co. that makes units that fit in the wall, she made an error in judgment and bought ANOTHER unit, same model. It lasted 1 summer, and was under par at best in cooling. The thing now just hums. I bought a $138 GE mini window unit and surprise surprise, it's super cold and DOESN'T SHUT OFF. Want more reasons? They are ridiculously LOUD, and their thermostat is **, 70 means 77. Just stay away from this overpriced, ** quality products.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I had a Friedrich through-the-wall air conditioner which died after four years. Unfortunately, the only company which makes a/c units which fit the wall sleeve my co-op had is Friedrich. I bought another 12,000 BTU unit in August of 2016 and it no longer cools. The compressor kicks in but the air coming out is a steady 77 degrees. PC Richard (where I bought it) said they don't do repairs and sent me to Friedrich. They said they don't do repairs either. Since I knew from my last Friedrich fiasco that nobody repairs window or sleeve a/c units I didn't have much hope of fixing this one. And I was right; I now have a $900 fan.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I recently bought a thru the wall a/c. The original model I ordered was no longer available, so I received the newest version WCT12A10A. In order to setup the a/c to run automatically you must connect to WIFi, which is close to impossible. The first a/c I received they evidently had a bad board so the store I bought it from replaced it. The new one arrived and am still having a hard time setting it up. The buttons are in an awkward spot and they hurt your fingers after using them. After trying several time to connect to WiFi, I still can't because the "Menu" button does not work. Do not buy this model.

Original review: May 29, 2019

3 weeks after paying $1600 for an 18000 BTU unit, the compressor stopped working which costs us $450 to repair. It broke after one season. Customer service was beyond poor! Repair was horrible. Aggravation was beyond belief because this so called excellent company would not even answer phone calls. So we bought another but this time GE which was half the price. Oh yes, you have so many symbols on the keypad and when the wrench comes up, you pay a service call for it to be reset so add on another $100. Not happy at all with this company. I will never recommend them not for their products or for their customer service. Be smart.... Don’t buy one!

Original review: March 8, 2019

We purchased a 12,000 BTU CP12 Friedrich A/C in May 2017 for $599. In August 2018 the fan died. No one in the local area would service a Friedrich, so we finally got the name of an authorized service from a Friedrich rep at the appliance store where we purchased it, Elite A/C Service in Jackson NJ, which is an hour away. Elite came out in Sept 2018 and charged $125 for a service call, ordered a fan motor, came back in Nov 2018 to install it and broke another part when they tried to install the motor.

We never heard from them again and after multiple phone calls we called Friedrich and spoke to George who said they would issue a repair authorization then several days later said no they wouldn't since it was not within its 1-year warranty. The unit died at 14 months. The appliance store where we originally purchased the A/C said they stopped carrying Friedrich due to the horrible quality. As a footnote, the LG brand unit we bought for $350 is still working perfectly after several years.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

UPDATED 2/02/2021: Two years ago I bought small Friedrich climate control unit EQ08N11C 115V for $800. Fan stopped working in two days. Repair shop couldn't get parts from Friedrich for three months and Friedrich refused to exchange the unit. Fortunately, Amazon agreed to replace it. We used the replacement maybe for 20 days over 2 years and now the heating coil broke. We can't get the part and Friedrich refuses to give us ETA.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I bought this A/C+heater in December. In January the heating element broke. I've been waiting for two weeks for a replacement element. Friedrich customer service rep George informed me that the unit had been back ordered and that "it will take as long as it will take". I tried to explain to him that it's difficult to live without heat in NYC winter but he refused to provide me with a replacement unit, "It's not how we do things at Friedrich," or even to give me a time frame. Well, I am boiling from anger so much that I don't really need heat in my bedroom. On a positive side, Amazon issued me the full refund. Thank you, Amazon!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I purchased a Friedrich window unit A/C thinking I was going to get a quality product like they USED to make; instead, I got a piece of junk that lasted barely two years, and I’ve been waiting for nearly THREE MONTHS for a warranty replacement and have gotten nothing but runaround from their corporate office. What I’ve found out from my own experience and talking with their service reps is that Friedrich is a completely different company now and quality/customer satisfaction are the LAST things they are concerned with. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased 2 Friedrich dehumidifiers from Allergy Supply. Both still under warranty. They worked well until this year when the one in my basement stopped working. Would not pull humidity out and the pump would not work. This was in June 2018. I called Friedrich who directed me to a local service center who I paid, and they said the unit had low freon and could not be serviced. Funny you can recharge AC in a car but not for a home. I called Friedrich again and they said I needed the tag from the unit and other docs.

So back to the service center, who put the tag on the back of their service order (per Friedrich instructions they said). I collected all other docs and scanned them all before mailing. Friedrich claims they never received my docs and so I emailed the scanned docs which they accepted except for the unit tag. I called them today (09/17/2018) to appeal to them as our basement is now getting mold again. They agreed to replace it with the scanned docs and said it would be 10 to 14 business days for delivery. Really? 3 months of this? Come on!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I got a Friedrich unit that heats and cools through our power company 11 years ago. I'm on the 6th one now and it's tore up!!! Every single one of these things are junk!!! We paid over $1500 in the beginning and kept warranty the entire 10 years that we could. Well now that 10 years is up and our 6th one has quit! The longest we've kept one is like 2 years and that's their life expectancy! The others tore up within months! Do NOT waste your money on this garbage!!! Before this one finally just stopped it would constantly run the actual, we had to manually cut it off. Needless to say whenever we were away it just constantly ran the actual so guess what??? Now my budget billing is nearly double what is used to be. Take my word, DO NOT buy one!!! Wish I could give it a -10??? Because I would!

Original review: July 31, 2018

Just bought a new Friedrich CP06, 6000 BTU window A/C unit. The adjustable side curtains are too short for the window width. The window is a standard egress window which is required by the building code. It's 40" wide and the A/C unit only fits a 36" wide window. I have another Friedrich A/C which fits the 40" window. Customer service told me to cut plywood to fill the holes. REALLY?

Original review: July 17, 2018

Looks can be deceiving. This Kuhl model (Friedrich SM24N30A 23,500 BTU through sleeve a/c) is sleek and modern and quiet but primarily that's not why you buy it. Performance is everything and for 3.5 years that's what we got. Then it started to freeze up after 8 hours. After 6 hours. After 4 hours. After 2 hours. We had purchased a 5 year major component warranty. Friedrich told me to talk to them. Friedrich wouldn't even admit it was a problem with their unit. They said my room must be too small. When I told them it was 47x14 with a 12 ft. ceiling their response was, "We can't help you".

The company that I'm now working with has ordered a new compressor but Friedrich can't tell them when it will be shipped. In fact the firm who works with the extended warranty told us that the wrong size compressor had been installed in the unit at the factory and as an authorized Friedrich repair shop they would know the difference. One person at Frieidrich admitted it could happen. Another told them that's impossible. We're at the height of the summer and now we have to rent a loaner until they get the right compressor in. My recommendation: Buy a Friedrich at your own peril.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We build and operate apartments. This last year we built 4 new buildings. We purchased 69 large Friedrich AC units and 16 bedroom size for these buildings. We bought the AC units in January - finished buildings in October - began to rent them out. We have had a 20% failure rate and the folks at Friedrich said “not under warranty" anymore. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! It was mostly computer brain failure. They will never get a dime of our money again!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I've had Friedrich Air-conditioning products for many years. I replace a huge device after 20 years and system died. Understandable. The new Friedrich through the wall, model EP12G33B was purchased and installed by PC Richards. System has a remote control. Everything worked well... Until the past week. The computer went wacky. Even if you turned off the Air-conditioning the compressor still ran. Crackling noise started to come out of unit. Then it just stopped working. After 2 years? A small fortune went into this unit. Filters changed and always unplugged while away.

Will my house burn down because of this? I'm sure the unit is not in warranty. What happened to Friedrich Corp?? I see many other NJ/NY complaints. Could we have gotten a bad batch? If anyone else has one of these units and have had the same problems, please let me know. I'm so terribly disappointed in the company. I hope when I contact them, they will make good on the unit.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I bought a new wall mount A/C (24000 BTU Friedrich) 2 yrs ago. It worked wonderfully for 1 month then quit. Warranty replaced the computer brain. 1 month later, a wire inside melted. Warranty fixed it again. It worked ok for the rest of that summer. Next summer, it is freezing up solid. The 1year warranty is almost up. Warranty replaced both evaporator AND condenser. 2 months later it is freezing up again.

Friedrich USED to be the best one could buy. Not anymore :( Today, they are the junkiest, most overpriced pieces of junk on the market, making sales only from their past reputation which is quickly becoming a stench. The refineries and chemical plants I work at used to all buy Friedrich exclusively. Now you see Frigidaires and GE's taking their places. This latest generation of junk is turning everyone away. I hate to see a good company go bad. I also hate to see my $1500 wasted like it was. Friedrick USED to be an A/C that was still working and got replaced because it got old and ugly and covered with rust. Now... it is just sad. RIP Friedrich.

Updated 11/3/2017: Just brought my Friedrich home from the dealer after its 4th warranty repair and its 3rd condenser coil installed (because the refrigerant had leaked out, causing it to freeze up into a ball of ice... again). Anyhow, got it installed, turned it on, enjoyed the cool breeze for about 90 minutes... ice ball again. Evaporator frozen solid. Waited weeks for the part, 120 miles driving to deliver and pick up the unit at the dealer... for 90 minutes of cooling. This is getting crazy.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I bought 2 window units in 4 years. I live in NJ where we use AC about 2 months a year. The 4 yr old unit stopped working. The coils ice freeze up. The filter and coils are clean, so it must have a leak. I was told I would have to pay $75 for a diagnostic fee, $300 labor for a sealed unit. The company only covers $100 labor, so I'm out $275 plus a fee to reinstall the window unit. I thought this was a quality company with a good 5 yr warranty. I was given no incentive to buy a new unit. Only told they couldn't do anything until I paid $75 fee. They have lost a customer. I found out this company also outsources the building of these units to Taiwan and Mexico. They used to build them in the US. Don't waste your money.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Purchased 2 large units, one went out in 2 months. The other was rarely used a 25,000 BTU I paid $1500 for. It was used 2 weeks a year. It blew out on me too. I feel like I have been ripped off big time, never again. I am going with those GE A/C they sell at Home Depot for a few hundred. I have had this GE I paid $150 for running great for 5 years now. Good bye to Friedrich for life! Beware. They make hunk of junks!

Friedrich Air Conditioner Company Information