2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5

Empire Today has provided customers with carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring and window to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representatives helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Resolution response: July 17, 2020

I just received an email requesting me to update my star rating. Unfortunately, it won't allow me to lower it to one-star. Empire never reached out to me as their response suggested. Absolute scam of a company.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I've purchased flooring from Empire twice. First was carpet, which lasted about a year before it started looking aged and started pulling up from the floor. Blaming it on children and an active household, I foolishly went back to Empire when it was time to replace the floors again. The sales reps were nice, but ill-informed. They showed me products that were no longer available, and didn't seem to have the answers to my questions about others. Ultimately, they assured me the flooring I'd picked out was durable and offered guarantees to ensure it wouldn't tear up. I was specifically told it was build to withstand children and pets. A week later it was installed by a great team who worked quickly and thoroughly. The new floors looked like a million bucks.

Cut to three weeks later when there are gouges in these allegedly "tough" floors. It took me two days to get a customer service agent on the phone, and then a week longer before the appropriate person could call me back. A week later they send someone out, and they stain over the gouges so it's "good as new." The lady calls to follow up and explains to me that the damage to the floors is "normal wear and tear" and not covered by any policies. She tells me she is in no way responsible for any promises made by the sales team. She tells me the contractor repaired the floor as a "one-time courtesy" and that I should not expect that to happen again. These floors were expensive but are cheaply made. Management offers no warranties or guarantees, and are quick to blame the customer for their shotty materials. I would never purchase from them again, and I would not recommend them to anyone else. What a scam.

Empire Today response

Sami, we regret to hear that you feel this way and assure you that we take your concerns seriously. We'll be in touch with you shortly to discuss your experience.

Original review: July 9, 2020

It is extremely rare that I take time to document a complaint. This is one. The Empire Today installer was there to install my kitchen floor. He started removing the original linoleum and came upon a section, under the linoleum, by the garage entry door that had either old termite or water damage. He took pictures, saying he needed his bosses approval to continue. He checked the moisture level saying it was too high and that I needed to have the subfloor repaired before work could continue. I immediately searched online for a subcontractor and luckily found one who came right over. He found the damage was only to the Luwan wood and not the subfloor. They talked and agreed it was not a real problem. The Empire Today installer said he could resume installation another day if his boss approved.

Evidently the boss did not approve because a few days later Empire Today called two different times to verify the subfloor work was completed and that they would not complete the installation otherwise. When the subcontractor was at my home, he gave me a couple of estimates depending on what was found pending further inspection. My kitchen was in a mess and already contractually obligated to Empire Today so I had to comply with their demands to repair the subfloor. I contacted Orkin for termite service. No termites found. No moisture under the house either. I then had the subfloor contractor to return. He cut out and replaced the section of luwan wood that was in question. Only that section was replaced. Subfloor is level. No issues. The cost of the subfloor repair was $250.

When the Empire Today installer returned he resumed removing the linoleum. As they were doing so the 19 year old linoleum, in a different section of the kitchen, stuck to some of the original luwan wood. The Empire Today installer then says he has to remove all the luwan wood including the section just replaced by the subcontractor. Otherwise the floor would obviously be unlevel. Now the repair for $250 is wasted money. Empire Today could have just removed all the luwan wood and installed the their flooring over my subfloor from the start. To summarize - Empire Today demanded repairs be made. I paid $250 for repairs. Empire then removed the repaired section. Empire Today then installed the new flooring.

After explaining what occurred to a member of their management he agreed to refund the $250. A couple weeks later and I haven't heard from them. I reinitiate contact. A different member of their management calls and says the installer and the district (I think) manager denied my claim. They lied stating that they only wanted me to have a termite inspection.

That makes no sense for several reasons. (1) The subcontractor is not a termite company. They had demanded the subcontractor complete FLOORING work. I brought in Orkin as an extra precaution. That is why I am NOT asking for the expensive Orkin service be reimbursed. (2) They lied claiming that they were going to remove the luwan wood anyway so the subcontractor repairs were not needed. They never said that. Again the general subcontractor doesn't do termite protection. Both calls made to me demanded that the subcontractor flooring work be completed before Empire Today would resume installation of the flooring. Now after doing all that was demanded of me Empire Today refuses to reimburse me for the unnecessary subcontractor work that THEY demanded previously.

The total for all my flooring was $6150. Yet Empire Today refuses to reimburse the $250 additional that they had previously demanded. English was obviously not the primary language of the Empire Today installer. So either dishonesty or miscommunication between the installer and management of Empire Today occurred. Either way I am owed $250. What a dishonorable and cheapskate way for a company to operate.

Empire Today response

Raymond, we take your concerns seriously and will be in touch with you shortly.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: July 6, 2020

We had Empire Today install flooring over 4 years ago. Within 6 months of the installation, our wood floors were buckling, snapping and popping when you walked on them. Empire came to review the problems and agreed there were problems. A couple of times, servicemen came and fixed the buckling problem but that was all. With popping and snapping problems still ongoing, other Empire reps came to review the problems... all agreed we had flooring problems but no one has resolved these problems.

We have even had service managers come to our residents, agree with the problems, take pictures etc, but no resolution in over four years. Where does the buck stop!? Some have suggested the wood floor material could be the problem and I have asked for them to be totally replaced... BUT, Empire doesn't offer this high-end laminate floor anymore. I wonder why!!?? We are senior citizens and on limited income and cannot afford to replace these floors. We believe Empire is still responsible for replacing these substandard floors.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I had an Empire rep come out late April and we scheduled work to be done 5 weeks later. The work included tile work, which they have very few capable installers, so that is why it was scheduled so far out. The Friday before my install was to occur, Empire called me to cancel due to covid-19 issues. We rescheduled AGAIN for two weeks later. As we came closer to the install date, Empire called again to cancel! At that point, I asked for a refund of my deposit. At the time I wasn’t really angry, but thought I could have more success with a local company. I was told it would take up to two weeks to have my deposit credited to my account. Funny, it took less than 20 minutes for them to take the money! I waited more than two weeks and noticed my account was not credited.

I called Empire and the first rep hung up on me. I called right back and got a much nicer rep who saw that I was correct and hadn’t been issued a refund. He called the regional office and issued “a ticket” for an investigation and assured someone would call within 24hrs. Guess what? No one called, so I called again. The next rep said that she left a voicemail for the person who was handling “the ticket” and that was all she could do. I have not heard from this unknown person, nor have I been refunded my deposit. Basically the company has stolen over $1100 from me.

Empire Today response

Beth, we take your concerns seriously and regret to hear about your experience. We'll be in touch with you soon to learn more.

Original review: June 29, 2020

After installed carpet less than 6 months, thread at the cut is coming out. I called in February. They start giving me excuses???, keep asking for additional photos and questions...then COVID19 and stay home order. When in May reopen allowed I started again asking where it stand. I am getting the run-around all over again. So far the person working on my case from Empire only called me once and ask for more of the same photo. I have been calling and calling and get no response. I try escalate, spoke to a supervisor although he is responsive in calling me back, but not much he can do, it seems. In the meantime, the person responsible for my warranty case is very very unresponsive. So far nothing!!!!

Empire Today response

Margaret, we regret to hear that your carpet is not meeting your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon to learn more.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Exceptional care from the initial meeting with Steve to obtain an estimate and to see samples - to the installation crew supervised by Scott and headed up by Kevin. We cannot thank you each enough for your professionalism, excellent customer service, patience, willingness to assist, and for the great products you represent and install. A special thanks to Kevin who went far beyond the call of duty to ensure that we were satisfied. Overall, after 3 previous estimates from other major LVT and Carpet companies, we are very pleased and satisfied with our choice of Empire Today! -JJD

Original review: June 28, 2020

Updated on 07/21/2020: VERY DISSATISFIED! After a poor initial install which wrinkled in 2 years I set up for carpet restretch for $330 on Saturday. I decided to give them a chance to redeem themselves after I had put up a bad review and they reached out to me. After waiting all morning for a call about the time they would be there and not receiving one they showed up at 2:30. The installer said it was too large a job for Saturday at 2:30 pm so he wouldn't be able to get it done then and needed to set it up for Monday at 5:30 pm. Very inconvenient since we had the house already dismantled so they could do the job but whatever. THEN ON MONDAY THEY NO SHOW. Called a different company who will be out tomorrow at 7 am and it only costs $190. Will never recommend or use Empire again.

Original Review: 2 years ago I had my carpet installed Empire Flooring. All seemed well at the time and we were very happy with our carpet however just over a year after the carpet was installed we noticed puckering of the carpet. This progressed and is now present in multiple spots throughout the house. I called to see if we could have somebody come out and fix this problem and they have refused. As this continues to progress it not only looks bad but is now becoming a tripping hazard in our house. We are going to need to hire somebody to come stretch and re-staple the carpet. Not very fair after the amount of money we spent to have it installed the first time.

Empire Today response

Jessica, we regret to hear that your carpet is not meeting your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon to learn more.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Less than a month after having flooring installed I dropped an item on it and a small nicked happened. Called the company and was told the flooring hadn't "cured" yet. I sent a picture of the damage as asked to and was told they would come out and fix it for two hundred dollars. I spent four thousand to have it installed. I asked to speak to a manager and was told the manager would call me back within 24 hours. It didn't happen. Disappointed!

Empire Today response

Susan, we take your concern seriously and will be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: June 23, 2020

The sales guy came at time promised and did a great job explaining the different types of flooring. He even played with my cats with the laser pointer. :) He measured rooms and we went over different colors of flooring for different rooms. Had it set up for the 2 different colors and some carpeting for the stairs. We ended up finding hard wood under our stairs when we pulled the original carpet out so I canceled the carpeting.

Called salesman to have that canceled he says it’s good to go. All canceled BUT Never got refund!! I tried calling several times to get my $300 back to no avail. Always some excuse about no one in the office or no one in the finance department was answering the phone.. So I just gave up after the runaround and paid the original financed amount off.

The installers showed up on time day scheduled But when asked to see the second color of flooring they had no clue about the second color. Said the order only had one color on it. So after calling the sales guy he says he never measured one room. I told him to and he “forgot” about the second color of the order. So the installers had to measure the room I originally wanted added into the order. We get that all set up and set up a second day for installers to come back with the other color. (Which included a second day off of work for me.)

When they show up the second day for installation they hand me a bill for $1300 before they can do anything.. I had been approved for financing and that was supposed to be added to that. So after ANOTHER phone call to add that to financing.... ughhh we finally get the second color finished. But I live in a bi level house and where the footing for the banister is they supposedly couldn’t cover that so there’s no cover over that and when you walk in my front door the “edge” of the floor that comes out there and the top of my stairs only has a 1 inch cap on it which is half the size it should be.

When I called to find out why the right size isn’t on it I was told the manufacturer only makes the 1” size and I would have to fix all that stuff myself. The installers left his jacket here the first time they were here and the second time they left all of their paperwork here and I had to make another phone call for them to come back and pick it up. The flooring is supposedly indestructible but I pushed a mattress across the floor and it scratched. I pulled out my stove to clean behind that and it also scratched the floor. The customer service and the product are not all they say they are.

Empire Today response

Kelly, this is not the experience that we wish for our customers and we apologize for your experience. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I love my carpet for the price, but in less than one year I have several areas of carpet buckling! I now have had installers back into my home twice and I am sure I haven’t seen the last of the buckling. Not sure as I am not a carpet professional, but I don’t think they are stretching it properly.

Empire Today response

Jackie, we’re sorry to hear you feel this way. We've located your account and we’ll reach out to you tomorrow to discuss things further.

Empire Today Company Information