2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.12/5

Empire Today has provided customers with carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring and window to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representatives helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Empire Today Video
Empire Today Gallery (5)

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We ordered carpet on a Tuesday and was told they could install it that Saturday. We went forward with the purchase because we are in the process of buying and selling our house. The turn around time was extremely important for because of everything we have scheduled. Well, the Friday before our install we are told that someone did not process the paper work and we NEED to wait until Tuesday. Then told/asked for us to wait to put our house on the market?! Yes, excuse me, since the company can not do their job we are told to put our lives on hold!?. They said they were doing everything they could which is a lie! Mind you, no one cares that there is a cost on our end and affecting our bottom line, there are things scheduled and contracts we can not go back on. Ridiculous! Contacted multiple people and all said there was nothing they could do. So we have to pay since someone can not do their job.

Empire Today response

Jennifer, we take your concerns seriously and will be in touch with you shortly to start working on a resolution.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We had carpet installed June 15th 2020. The installers ran out of carpet and called other people over to “piece together” fragments of carpet because they wanted to finish in one day. You can see all the seams in every room. We called the same week the carpet was installed to complain about the seams. I vacuumed the carpet one time and the edges where 2 of the seams were, came up and frayed at the edges (creating a hole in the floor). Empire Today had told us the install would take 2 days originally but they wanted to finish in 1 day. Since June, we had someone come over to our house to “fix” the seams, we had an installation manager out to the house and he even said we should not be able to see the seams. It is now, September 2020, and 3 months have passed and still no solution to the problem.

Empire Today is now saying that WE caused the problem with the carpet (unusual wear and tear) and they will not give us a rebate or discount or anything on the $8,900 of money we spent on carpet. It seems their tactic is this: Delay, delay, delay doing anything to help the customer, and then when too much time has passed-tell the customer that they caused the problem. When, indeed, the problem started at installation. They do not stand behind their one year warranty-it’s just a ploy to they use to sell people more carpet. I would love to say they have rectified the problem. But they have not.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH EMPIRE CARPET. I have no reason to write this review other than to warn other customers who might be lured into spending a lot of money. When you have a problem, they will not answer their phones, they will not give you any money back for mistakes they have made, they will not fix or change the carpet (the supplier actually DCd this kind of carpet we bought); you’ll be lucky if they ever even call you back.

Empire Today response

Rachel, we're disappointed to hear that your carpet has not been meeting your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I purchased flooring in the amount of $3,052 and paid a $765 deposit in late February 2020. Covid19 came, EMPIRE had difficulty meeting the initial installation date, and I agreed to postpone installation. Covid19 then affected me financially and I continued postponing the installation date to the point when I decided in mid September 2020 that my best option was to cancel the purchase. At that point, EMPIRE upheld the 15% penalty fee for canceling the order, not caring about the dire conditions cast by the pandemic and my history as an old client. Shame on you, EMPIRE!

Empire Today response

Sam, we understand your frustration and assure you that we take your concerns very seriously. We'll be further reviewing this matter.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Note: Empire Today erases all of its negative reviews on Social Media and online if they can. The common response is "please contact us and we will look into it," or "someone will be contacting you soon." They NEVER do. This is a very detailed interaction. You also can never file a complaint with their office and there is no dispute resolution. If you call the corporate office you will be required to have an extension to reach someone but customer service will not give you that extension. So you cannot go up the ladder. You are stuck.

If I could give this review a NEGATIVE FIVE I would. Poor quality carpet, always sales consultant, no follow through, installation was bad (only realized it after a few days), and once they get your money you can forget about them honoring what their salespeople or managers promised. The rating is an A+ but only because the BBB does not take reviews into account. The only requirement I wanted and stated from the very first call of making my appointment to the sales rep was a carpet that would show no lines and no foot traffic. It was THE MOST IMPORTANT item and I was promised to get it. Instead I got a carpet that shows all the traffic and I have more work to do around the house. I chose Empire after looking for carpet for months.

The experience has been the worst regarding their sales representative Coleton, their customer service member Christian, their manager Caitlyn, and her assistant Shay. Coletan called me to say he would be to our appointment in 20 minutes. An hour later I called him to ask where he was. He said 5 minutes away. He finally arrives 40 minutes later explaining that he was closing on a new home and his realtor called about a problem. At first we turned him away, but since he was there already we decided to let him come in. HUGE MISTAKE. He showed me 3 samples. We picked a color we like and Coleton guaranteed it would not show lines or traffic. I ran my hands across the sample I did not see any. We were satisfied.

Later he said that he had more samples usually but they were at home packed in boxes. I thought what we got was a good price, $2700, and I liked the color so we were fine. Installation day. I was asked to confirm that the installers had the carpet I picked. It was rolled up but it was the right color and carpet. Christian called to ask me how installation was going. I explained they hadn't not started installing yet, only tearing up. She told me to call back to the number she called me from if there were any problems. We waited in the car since there was nowhere to sit in the house. I checked on the progress and saw that the carpet had their footprints. One guy was in the living room working and only half the carpet was laid.

I IMMEDIATELY called Christian at the number she gave me 4 times. No one ever picked up. I called and left a voicemail that there was a problem. My installation was a Saturday. She called me back on the following Tuesday. I explained the problem. She said a manager would call me. End of week and still no call. I called back again and explained the situation. Caitlyn finally called. I explained the problem. She offered me to get another carpet type and to pay for it but I would get a 50% discount. I would still owe the $2700 from the first installation. She went on to explain all of the things that the sales person should have explained, even telling me I should have went with a Berber carpet.

That was never an option offered. Then we discussed giving me a discount on the carpet that I already had. She said she would call me in two days to inform what discount I could get. She never called. I responded to the survey Empire sent via email and a man called me. I explained the problem and he said that he would have the manager call me. Instead she had her assistant Shay call me. Shay made me feel hope again. She apologized and told me that I did everything that I was supposed to do. She said that they have been short staffed and that was why no one answered the phones on the day of installation.

She said that normally the policy is to allow the customer to change the carpet but get a 50% discount but in my case it was not my fault and I would have no way of knowing the carpet would show lines because the sales person said it wouldn't, the sample didn't show it, and then no one answered my call when I tried to fix it. She scheduled an appointment for an inspector to come back and look over everything and find a solution. She said the manager would be calling me to make everything right. That was a Friday. On Monday Shay called completely different attitude and told me there was nothing they would do because I signed a contract and agreed to the carpet and I should've stopped the installation in progress even though no one answered the phones.

She said someone would have eventually contacted me to pick out new carpet but she did not know how long it would take. Meanwhile, I would have been in my house with exposed nails, subflooring and cement. I explained that Caitlyn promised to discount my carpet but Shay said that Caitlyn never told her that and she would check with her. I asked her to have Caitlyn call me back. She never did. Today I received a call from Shay telling me that I owe the full amount and I could pay to choose between the two Berber options they had, but it nothing would be done from Empire. I have attempted to reach corporate, I have filed a complaint with the BBB, I have disputed the amount on my card. No result.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Updated on 10/13/2020: I submitted my initial complaint on 09/10. Details are in a screenshot. No one reached out. In fact, I was contacted by their sales department trying to sell more to me. I explained that I am not happy with the customer support or product. The salesperson promised to follow up and that never happened either.

Original Review: Had my LVP installed in May 2016. Last month I noticed buckling of the floors (less than 4 years of light use). Contacted customer service support and was advised that it will be $100 for them to come over and evaluate what was wrong. After evaluation, I was advised that although couple of planks needed to be replaced due to product issue, but since it was 4 years, they will have to redo the whole room for the discounted price of $700. A little prior me noticing it, I had the adjacent room remodeled with using Empire Today as well.

One of the installers asked me whether the floors of the room in question were installed by ET. I said yes, and he never said anything, but now I realize that he has seen the issue and failed to tell me the truth. Highly disappointed in how they treat repeat customers. The room is not very big. I paid $1,200 in May 2016, and now I have to pay another $700. Poor practice, dishonest treatment. PS: at some point representative responded to my concern that installation warranty is only one year... "We have to take our of our installers". And all those years I thought it was all about customers.

Empire Today response

Darya, we apologize for your experience and will be in touch with you shortly.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2020

Empire contacted me within a day of my complaint going to Consumer Affairs. The installers returned and did remove the chipped piece and replaced. It looks great now. I am still not sure where the communication broke down but they did apologize. I feel better about Empire now.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

We had wooden floors installed in August 2020. The salesperson was very nice. When the installers came to the house, they were were acceptable. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when they were finished and within an hour of their departure, I noticed a piece of the wooden floor was chipped in the living room. I called immediately and I called and I called and I called. I even called the Salesperson. No response to my problem and still have not heard from them concerning standing by their product. The installers also left materials on our patio for us to clean up. The floors are beautiful except for the problem. I really can't believe they will not stand by their product. I would never purchase anything from them again.

Empire Today response

Susan, we take your concerns seriously and will be in touch with you shortly to learn more.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

Installers were quick and completed the install of 3 rooms in 2 days leaving the floor fairly clean. In one week I fount a damaged piece, two days later I found 6-8 pieces that are manufactured bad. The texture is damaged by manuf. 2nd call, waiting two weeks, 3rd call, the hung up on me; 4th conversation they stated they have no knowledge of the bad materials (even though installer saw it and we both took pictures). After the 4th call again... they have to come see it (AGAIN, 2nd time). I've lost over a $1000.00 in wages waiting for these people. HORRIBLE Company Communications!

Empire Today response

Marc, thank you for making us aware of your concerns. We sincerely regret to hear that your floor is not meeting your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

All seemed good when they installed my carpet. We were not to move in until the following week. The very first night in our new home, I took my grandson into the bathroom to brush his teeth. Unknowingly, there were at least 15 spikes sticking up in the threshold. My grandson received 2 deep puncture wounds to his foot and I received 3 deep puncture wounds to my foot. We both had to get tetanus shots. Now I am afraid to walk anywhere in my house in my socks. Did I mention my grandson is 6 years old. THANKS EMPIRE!

Empire Today response

Roger, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We sincerely regret to hear that your installation did not meet your expectations. We've located your account and will be in touch with you soon.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I had my floors done by Empire in 2018 and the installation went real good. The sales person that came out started off with the price way too high but then when I told them I wasn’t interested magically the price came down a whole $7000.00 which was such a joke to begin with but I went for it anyway. Here’s the problem I want everyone to understand. I had a dishwasher leak that damaged some of the laminate flooring planks in front of the dishwasher so I called Empire to get a price on repair. I talked to a customer rep that told me to just email them pictures of the damage. I then received a call back saying, "You need the whole floor replaced" and it’s going to cost big $$$$.

I told the customer rep that it’s not necessary to replace the whole floor and she said, "Ohhhh ok, I’ll have to go back to see what we can do." Well folks, that’s where it all ended because now, no one emails you back, calls you back or even wants anything to do with you. So it’s very simple, after the sale you are nothing to them, once it’s installed it’s your problem and if it gets damaged you are screwed because the materials/products they sell are their own and you can’t buy them anywhere else. Just be aware that this company and their deals are all meant for a one time sale and then, you're tossed in the trash. Trust me.

Empire Today response

Paul, we apologize for the lack of follow up that you've received, and will be in touch with you right away for further assistance.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had my carpet installed July 2020 and having seam problems for hallway to bedrooms, I have made at least 15 calls to your customer service and my issue is not resolved. I spent 7k and I will not recom.

Empire Today response

Joseph, we take your concerns seriously, and will be looking into this matter right away.

Empire Today Company Information