Call toll free
(855) 410-2095
4.41/5
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Have you been interested in installing a water softener system? Discount Water Softeners offers a variety of softeners in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. Not only do we offer a variety of water softeners, but we also have a selection of filtration and reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, water testing kits, and more. Whatever your need might be, Discount Water Softeners guarantees quality products. Visit our website today for specials and order your products today!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

113 Discount Water Softeners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have hard water. I went on the website of Discount Water Softeners and I decided to purchase their product online. The ordering process was moderately easy and their website was easy-ish to navigate through. But there were some things that were a little strange and confusing, but not terrible, so I had to call them. I dealt directly with their customer service reps and they were fine. When the product was delivered, one part came broken, which was kinda disappointing. They shipped me a new part but it was sad to get a part that was broken in shipping. Also, the installation instructions were subpar at best. There were instructions on part of it but there were no instructions on how to put everything else on. That was pretty bad. Other than that, I've noticed a difference in my water since having their system. It’s not earth-shattering, but it is better.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

When I purchased the Fleck 5600, I ordered it through the Discount Water Softeners' website. The process was quick, and their reps contacted me through email. However, the last product I received looked like there was a shift to a different manufacturer, so it came a bit different from the other products they had. In addition, they need to deal with a better quality control on their shipment through UPS. Given the quality of the items I've purchased, I’m switching to a different supplier.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was able to get the water softener unit from Discount Water Softener for half the cost as compared to the places that deal directly in it, so I was really happy. I then had the unit installed by my own guy and he also recommended the unit because his has lasted close to 30 years. I'm really happy with what I got. I can see how many gallons it has before it recharges and it keeps a running count. That's a really nice feature that I enjoyed, and it's easy to use. It's all touch button and I can reset it. It's a pretty nice system and the water's a lot better using it. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I'm running on a well and it's known to be a hard area so I needed to get some of the iron out and some of the softness in. I looked at a lot of different products and purchased the Fleck 5600SXT from Discount Water through their website as it seemed that it was the best value for my money. However, I was disappointed that I never got a response back when I placed a request for a basic setup initially. I was able to get a setup to what I believe is correct, but I'm not 100% sure for the size of softener that I have. We've only had it for six months but it seems to be functioning fine and it does its job. I'm also using an iron out salt so I don't have any redness in any of the fixtures in the house. I've been very pleased with my experience and I'd recommend them.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I'm disappointed with the Genesis model that I got from Discount Water Softeners and I'm thinking of returning it. I was replacing my previous one because it was so old and something in it was failing. I figured that the kits needed to do the maintenance on it were almost as much as the softener. When Discount offered Genesis, I liked the idea of not using as much salt. Also, while all the traditional water softeners were downflow, Genesis was upflowing and the water has gone through a lot of salt. It also says on their website that everybody's been satisfied with it. There's none that's been returned. After doing research, I looked at the size of it and then I picked the model.

I thought it would be maintenance-free for a long time and I just needed salt. But the unit doesn't work as advertised. It is big enough for my family of four and the house, but there have been a lot of times that we didn't have soft water and I'm not sure why. I go down and I manually regenerate it but then it still doesn't have soft water. I constantly have to clean our fixtures in our house because of it. I spent a lot of time on the unit to get it to the required rates that they advertised. I even went over it, hoping that it'd regenerate more. But it doesn't. It also doesn't use the salt like they say it does.

Another thing with it is that I can't set the times when I want to regenerate. Once you set your hardness and all the criteria for the softener, it sets its own times. I looked at different companies such as Fleck and Culligan but I went with the bang for the buck. I took a chance on Discount but in hindsight, I should have just bought the $600 Fleck model that was very similar to what I had. I probably would have been happier since at least my old one kept my water softened.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Water Softeners?

Original review: July 18, 2018

I replaced an existing water softener system and purchased the mid-grade product from Discount Water Softeners. My interaction with the sales consultant was great and the quality of the item I purchased was very good. I noticed that the product uses a lot less water than the previous one. We also noticed that the water usage is down as well as the salt usage.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We have hard water, and I did a little research and found Discount Water Softeners to be good. I installed the Genesis water softener and it was pretty straightforward. I've only had it six months but so far it's been fine.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased a Genesis Revolution 64,000 Grain Water Softener from them on December 20, 2017 and installed it approximately 10 days later. My water hardness before the installation was between 25-26 GPG and has continued to run that consistently before entering the softener. Initially my softener worked as described, or so I thought. One afternoon in February I decided to re-check the hardness of my water, and it had increased to between 15-17 GPG with over 900 gallons left before regeneration. I performed a manual regeneration and the water hardness dropped to between 0-1 GPG. I then re-checked with approximately 1000 gallons remaining before regeneration, and again, the hardness had increased to 15 GPG.

I initially contacted them on February 24, 2018 to tell them of my issues. Off and on since then we have tried several fixes, none of which solved my issue. They contacted the manufacturer who suggested I check to see if the float assembly would move freely; the assembly would not move freely, suggesting it was air locked. After a couple of manual regenerations, the unit would still airlock. The manufacturer sent me a new assembly which I installed on May 20, 2018 and then scheduled a regeneration for that night. I checked my water hardness the next morning, May 21, 2018 and it was down to 0 GPG. I checked the water hardness again on May 25, 2018 with 987 gallons remaining and the hardness was 2 GPG. I re-checked the water hardness again on, May 26, 2018 and with 756 gallons remaining the hardness has jumped to 11 GPG. So, in a little over 200 gallons of usage, the water hardness had increased 9 GPG.

Since the replacement of the float assembly, we have tried replacing injectors and different programming; none of which have fixed the problem. I have now entered the seventh month since I purchased this unit, and they have yet to fix the problem. I mentioned that since this unit was purchased new and has not worked properly from day one, that I would like a complete new unit. They answered with that they had talked to the manufacturer rep again and would be sending me a new brine tank. I do not believe that it is too much to ask that a product bought new from a company that has not worked properly since day one, be replaced after 5 months of attempted repairs. I purchased a similar sized Fleck from them in 2016 for my previous home and had no issues. I don’t know if I have received a lemon, but I cannot in good conscience recommend this product or company due to the issues I continue to have.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Our water is really hard, so we needed a water softener system. We purchased the 60,000-Grain product from Discount Water Softeners through their website. Their online site was okay and I didn’t have any problems at all with it. I was happy with the cost of the product that we purchased. So far, the quality of the system is good and it's comparable to the other system that we had before which has been replaced. The experience was straightforward and I followed the directions for the system. I would recommend Discount to others.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We were buying a new house and we wanted to get a water system and get it right the first time. I got the Genesis system directly through the website which was basic and user-friendly. We had been in the home for two months while we were waiting for the system to get here and my wife was very vocal about being itchy. Then at first, I was still itchy and I thought the system wasn’t using the salt I put in. But we've only had the system for less than a month at that time. We've had the system for three months now and when I looked, the salt is more than half empty and the system has been good. My wife hasn't been vocal about being itchy either. Overall, my experience with Discount Water Softeners has been easy.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife wanted a water softener system and I purchased the Premiere Discount Water Softener. The online ordering process was very easy then I had a professional plumber install the system for me and it went well but I might have been able to do it myself. So far, the quality of the product seems to be very good and the water is a little softer and different now.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I was replacing an old unit and the whole deal was in the price. I also verified that I was purchasing the correct equipment with a sales consultant and she was a very knowledgeable person. That was what made my decision to buy. Discount Water Softeners has got a good website too. It's very user-friendly and they tell you exactly what to do. They also have tutorials on how to install the product. When I bought replacement filters from them, shipping was very fast and efficient. I’d tell others to purchase there than a local place. They are a very good company and I'm very happy with the system I got.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We had our other water softener for almost 20 years but it failed and we weren’t happy not having a water softener so it was time we purchased another one. We read about different brands and features, and Discount's website was easy to navigate. It even allowed us to compare different models and we picked what we thought was a good buy for what it did. My husband also called to make sure he understood all the features and he was satisfied with their answers. Then we went ahead and purchased the item. It was a simple thing to buy online and the cost was fair. We’ve had the product for a while now and we're very much happy with it. It’s working fine and I’d recommend others to purchase from Discount Water Softeners as well.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The water system that was in the house that I bought was really old and wasn’t working right. So, I bought a Genesis Water Softener System on the online site of Discount Water Softeners. Their purchasing process was very easy and their website had a lot of information and videos. I had a couple of questions on some different issues, so I called their sales consultants and they were really helpful. They also sent me some videos to look at. So far, I’m very happy with my water system. The cost was about what I expected to pay and if I bought it locally, I probably would’ve paid a little more. So, I got a better price by buying it online. I would tell people that I use Discount's system and that they should give it a try.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I work with purified water so I've used water softener systems. I've always done my ordering from Discount Water Softeners' website and I've never had any issues that I couldn't resolve over the internet. The website is very well put together with a lot of information and everything is categorized nicely. They've always been extremely reliable and cheap plus the shipping has always been right on point. And the items are in perfect condition and everything's brand new. The package is great. Also, they're local with one of their branches in Florida which is another reason why I used them. I have high remarks for Discount Water Softeners. In my line of work, it's hard to find a place that you can rely on knowing that they're gonna have the parts I need. I recommend them to other people, too.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The water here in Florida is really hard so we needed a water softener system. I liked Discount Water Softeners' price. My system pays less than $1,000 and the others were probably $3,000 and $4,000. A friend of mine who bought one of their systems told me about it so I went ahead and bought the same through the website. Discount could get a better page especially when you do mobile. Their website was like all over the place. But so far, so good other than that. And I referred a few people to Discount.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I put in a new shower and I put it in a new bathroom. I was starting to see scale and stuff build up, and I didn’t want it destroyed, so I decided to get a water softener. The pricing of Discount Water Softeners was good. However, I had a little problem. I was missing a part but they shipped it right out to me. So, it was all good. It’s been working out great and I noticed a 100% improvement in the quality of our water since having it. Our drinking water with that included with the reverse osmosis system is outstanding.

Discount Water Softeners response

Having a missing part is not good! But we're glad we were able to ship it out and get your new water softener working! Having great water quality is awesome to have, even more so drinking water. If there are any future questions, please contact us. We'd be happy to help.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Somebody mentioned the Discount Water Softeners website to me. He was really satisfied with the product and said they had decent pricing so I went on there and looked at some of the models. The website was real easy to navigate and you can plug in your household size. I purchased a Genesis model and there was some deal you could get if you bought the quick connection kit with the water softener upfront but I didn’t realize that till after. I talked to a sales consultant via email and tried to get him to retroactively apply it. But he wasn't able to do that. I would’ve thought that they would honor that considering I had just bought the water softener which wasn’t a cheap purchase. But I still went ahead and bought it. The shipping went all smooth and nothing was damaged.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you for your review Jahshua. We're happy to hear that you used our water softener sizing on our website! we are sorry we couldn't make the deal work. But your purchase means a lot to us and if there is an issue in the future or concern, please reach out and we will try our best to assist.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought some charcoal bedding for my softener from Discount. I put my order online and they shipped it, and I got it in two days. And its quality is very good.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you David, our goal is to ship items as soon as possible as well as provide quality products. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I’ve ordered five products from Discount Water Softeners over the phone and I've spoken with the same guy every time I’ve called, but he’s been great. I've been working with Discount for a year and a half, and they've been sharp with the water quality issues I've been working with. Everything’s worked good so far. They’re worth using.

Discount Water Softeners response

Your continued patronage doesn't go unnoticed Sam! Thank you for working with us for a year and a half and for leaving a review!

Original review: May 29, 2018

We have hard water so we purchased a Genesis water softener online. On the Discount Water Softeners' website, it says there that the water softener is going to regen at a delayed regen time. The rep, whose expertise wasn’t good, was adamant about this and turned it to the on position so it regens at 2:00 AM every day. I needed to have that setting set to the off position so it only regens however long the regen cycle takes. But that was also the opposite of what they tell on the video and in the instructions that come with it.

Finally, after I programmed and reprogrammed, read the manual, and looked at the video over and over again, I talked to the rep. I told them that it's an error and they ought to change their video and their instructional manuals because that was a frustrating experience. Also, it costs a lot of money to regen every day as water here in Arizona isn’t cheap. Then I had some other issues and a question that I asked through email but they never responded, so I gave up. If I had the instructions right and they’ve been responsive to me, it would’ve been a better experience.

Tom,

I am very sorry for any confusion on the programming of your system. The system will not regenerated at a delayed regeneration each night unless someone manually turns it on. Our video and manual instructions do reflect that but if it was confusing I do apologize. Please feel free to reach out to us again if you need any additional support. We have recently moved to a larger facility that will allow us the ability to take on more staff to assist you faster.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I was experiencing scratchy skin and dry hair, and then my plumber recommended Discount Water Softeners. Our dealings with DWS were all over the internet. I have had the unit for four months already, and it has been great. It has not, however, solved my itchy skin, but that is okay. Overall, I would recommend them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Sorry to hear that your skin issue wasn't resolved with us but hopefully it does soon! Thank you for your purchase and your recommendation Jennifer.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I've got hard well water. I went with Discount Water Softeners because it has a good price and a good website that was helpful to get me up and running without any problems. I ordered it online, and the instructions were straightforward and everything worked. I have had the unit for five months now and it seems to be operating properly. It was worth the money.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you David for your review! We know hard water isn't something you want to deal with so we're happy to hear it's working well!

Original review: May 25, 2018

My old water softener system broke, so I needed a new one. I purchased the Fleck 9100 96,000-grain water softener from Discount Water Softeners through Amazon. It was easy to find the product that I was looking for. To a certain extent, I was replacing an existing product, so I pretty much knew what I wanted. So far, everything has been great with the quality of the product that I got and I would recommend Discount Water Softeners.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks Darrel, we're glad to hear that the process and replacement went smoothly. If you ever run into any issues, please email or call us. We'd be happy to help!

Original review: May 24, 2018

Genesis Revolution 64,000 grain Water Softener - I purchased and installed this unit six months ago. At first, it worked extremely well but recently stopped working altogether. It runs through its regeneration cycle as programmed but makes no soft water. I worked through the troubleshooting guide checking everything that was suggested but nothing worked. I then attempted to call Customer Service but no one answered. I called five times over two weeks each time leaving my name and contact information. I never received any response. Once, someone actually answered the phone only to tell me no technicians were available but assured me someone would get back to me right away. Nothing. This is absolutely unacceptable; This unit was not inexpensive. If you choose to buy one and it works for you consider yourself lucky because if it doesn't you are on your own.

Kris,

I do apologize, we did receive your two phone messages left on May 4th and 5th. Your messages along with some others were initially lost during our company move. We moved to a larger facility May4th-6th and our phones were down for most of those 2-3 days. We did not get the messages highlighted in our system so they did appear as though they were called back. I do apologize.

It is my understanding that our tech Bill was able to help determine that you had it plumbed in backwards and that is why it was not functioning correctly. I am glad he was able to assist and get your system working properly. If you need anything else please let us know. You can also email us anytime as well and we can assist.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I’m in West Loxahatchee River in Florida, and the water had tannins in it and was dark. I bought a house that had a water softener at the property and it needed to be rebuilt. And I had a neighbor who had used Discount Water Softeners and said that their service was good. So, I called and set me up and they sent me all the stuff that I needed to put new guts in my water softener. The product is supposed to take out everything. I had to get two different types of filter that go in it. One’s a regular one and another one’s some special thing that takes out the tannins and the colors.

My neighbor had given me a good indication of what I needed because he did the same thing for his water. And then when I contacted Discount's salesperson, he knew what I was talking about. In fact, he pulled up the other person’s account and said, “Yeah. This is what we sold him.” So far, the overall quality of the products has been really good. My water’s starting to taste a little funky again. Over a matter of four days, there was a complete change in the water. I live here by myself so I don’t use a lot of water. And before I could never get any bubbles. The water was too damn dark but now, I'm getting soap in the shower. It’s worked out very well. I’d recommend Discount.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you so much for trusting in us and in your neighbor, Ronald! We're very happy to have been able to clear up your water quality. We know having tannins and other impurities is not a good sight (or taste)! If there is ever an issue with your water quality or system, please let us know!

Original review: May 18, 2018

We had normal hard water. We bought a unit online from Discount Water Softeners and we got the black one. We looked at all the information about the one we thought would work from their website and we didn't have any trouble using it. We knew what the hardness of the water was, so we already knew what type of water softener we needed. The product works great and it's good quality. Now, we don't have hard water and we'd tell our friends that we had a good experience with Discount Water Softeners.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you Stuart for your review and thank you for purchasing a Genesis water softener. Not dealing with any hard water after having it is a great change. We're happy everything works well and happy you would tell your friends about us!

Original review: May 17, 2018

We're an installer of water softeners and we purchase from Discount Water Softeners for our customers. We buy from them online and their website is very easy to use. Their consultants have been helpful, too. They're a great source of water softeners for us and so far, the quality of the items we received from them was as expected.

Discount Water Softeners response

Top quality for both the website and water softeners is very important to us. We are very glad to hear that the website was easy to use and the items have met your quality standards. As well as our support desk! Thank you, Scott, for the review!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have hard water here in my vacation home. I wanted a whole-home water softener and I Googled it. The reviews came up and Genesis was one of the best. Then I shopped for the price and Discount Water Softeners had the best one. They carried the Genesis, which was recommended online, and the deal included free delivery, so, I purchased a unit from them on behalf of my son through his company. I did it online and their website was very useful. It was great because you could put in the hardness of your water, then it would recommend a system. Everything I needed to find to make an informed decision was there online and I just backed it up with a couple of other Google searches to make sure it was correct.

Everything was right on with my order and I was happy with delivery. It was very fast and everything was included in the package. Plus, the system works great and it's very good quality. I've got two other homes with water softeners and this one from Discount Water Softeners is by far the best system I've got. The cost was excellent, too, compared to what I am getting. If I wanted the other prices or services, I could call them again and they'd come out and do it all. But this is much cheaper. If I had to buy another water softener, I'd go back to the same place. I'd also tell others to use Discount Water Softeners. They're considerably less expensive than their competitors for the same product, except the shipping was done the next day, so we had the product within a few days.

Discount Water Softeners response

We are happy that you found us through Google! Your research paid off as well! You found the better price, better product, and quick service for your Genesis water softener. Knowing that your system works great and is of very good quality also makes us happy to know!

Thank you for your review and your future recommendations, Dave! If you ever need anything more for us, feel free to call or email. Keep enjoying your soft water!

Original review: May 6, 2018

I live in Arizona where the water is really hard and I was trying to get the best price with a good water softener system. I purchased the Genesis water softener through Discount Water Softeners' website. The site was really good and has a lot of good information to educate myself. But the problem was you need to find someone to install. Since they said it's really easy to install, I thought it would be something that you could do yourself. It was a little bit more complex than we could do by our own and at the end, I had to pay someone to install. I also ordered the Reverse Osmosis water filter and I don’t think it’s working properly or that is no pressure there because now the water pressure in my refrigerator is really low. So, I’m not satisfied. But so far, Discount Water Softeners' products have been great. I’d tell people to buy from them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Hi Carlos, thank you for purchasing from DWS! We are sorry to hear that self-installing didn't work out. We offer some videos that could help in the future. We also have an installation guide and two videos that could help with your reverse osmosis system. Thank you for recommending us in the future Carlos.

Discount Water Softeners expert review by Greg Chick

Discount Water Softeners has been offering commercial and residential water treatment solutions for over 25 years. It sells, services and installs water softeners, iron filters, reverse osmosis systems, sulfur filters and more. Consumers can order products online with free shipping, as well as take advantage of multiple online sales and specials.

• Home filtration: Discount Water Softeners offers whole-house carbon filtration, pH neutralizer and clover bottleless water cooler systems. Consumers can visit their website for a full list of each systems models, complete with pricing and features.

• Water softeners: Discount Water Softeners provides multiple models of on-demand, timered, cabinet style and commercial water softeners. It includes a water softener sizing chart online to help consumers determine the correct water softener for their home based on the number of people living in the residence.

• Free water hardness test kit: Discount Water Softeners will send free water hardness testing kits for city water residents. Consumers can fill out an online form with their basic information, how many people live in the home and how many bathrooms are in the home. Discount Water Softeners includes a coupon towards the purchase of a water softener with each kit.

• Install videos and guides: For consumers installing their water treatment products themselves, Discount Water Softeners provides online installation guides and videos. To view a guide in PDF form, simply click the model number to see the installation instructions. It also includes videos for the installation of various water softeners and water filtration systems.

• Water softener warranties: All of Discount Water Softeners water softeners come with full warranties. The fiberglass tanks come with a 10-year warranty, softener valves carry a five-year warranty and brine tanks have a five-year warranty.

• Best for: consumers looking for a wide variety of water treatment systems.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick

Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Discount Water Softeners Company Information

1998
176 Detroit St Ste 13
Cary
IL
www.discountwatersofteners.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business