4.74/5
Based on 60 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Have you been interested in installing a water softener system? Discount Water Softeners offers a variety of softeners in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. Not only do we offer a variety of water softeners, but we also have a selection of filtration and reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, water testing kits, and more. Whatever your need might be, Discount Water Softeners guarantees quality products. Visit our website today for specials and order your products today!

A-BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: Dec. 24, 2017

81 Discount Water Softeners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

We had hard water at our home. I found a water softener system online by Discount Water Softeners and then I called in. We talked about the house, the number of rooms and the volume. They recommended products that I might need and the rep helped me pick one for the whole house. They also sent me some quick connect hoses. I installed the system myself and it was easy. Since installing the system, I don't have water spots on my glasses anymore and they come out better in the dishwasher. Also, the cost of the system was good when compared to the quality so I got another one because I have two homes. I was happy with them because somebody answered the phone, I didn't get cut off and I didn't get the runaround. I knew what they were talking about and it was as advertised. Everything was good, which is a little rare these days. I have recommended them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you, Robert, for your review! We're glad to hear that the installation was easy too.

The effects of soft water can be seen pretty quickly after living with hard water in a home. Having spotless dishes is one of them! Giving you and other customers information and attention necessary is important to us. Thank you for recommending DWS!

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We have hard water but the only water softener system I had went out. I had to replace it with a product from Discount Water Softeners a year ago and it's been good for the most part. But the website was a little bit confusing and the navigation could be easier. It helped that I knew what I was looking for so ordering was a bit easy.

Discount Water Softeners response

Hi Bruce, thank you for choosing Discount Water Softeners for your new water softener purchase. We hope that if you have visited our website recently, you have found it to be easier to navigate and understand.

If anything ever comes up, please contact us!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I had a water softener system back in the day. I bought one for my parents for a present for them because they lived out to where they had well water and it’s hard water. It was a nice system and then when they passed away, I removed it so then we got to get used to it and got spoiled with it. When it started to get it where it kept running water into the drain and to be overflowed where it kept draining out and I went to buy parts for it, I can’t get them. The thing was 25 years old and I was told its parts were obsolete. I tried fixing it and rigged it up and got it working again but then I decided to buy one and found out a new premier up-flow water softener system that Discount had so I got it.

We loved it and it was working great. But then three months after we had it, we noticed that our water wasn’t soft again. Its valve was messing up and it wasn’t drawing from the brine tank. I talked to their guys and did all the stuff they told me to do but still wasn’t functioning properly. I shipped it out back to them and they couldn’t fix it either. They sent it back to the manufacturer and they just sent me a new head assembly and it’s been working fine since. They handled the situation greatly. It’s easy to hook up and doesn’t use up salt like the other one did.

Discount Water Softeners response

Having soft water is a bit like being spoiled! We're glad that you found us and purchased the premier upflow water softener from us.

We want all of our customers to be satisfied with their purchase so we're very happy to hear that you're finally enjoying soft water again. If anything else comes up, please let us know! Thank you again for purchasing from DWS, Michael!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I had a lot of iron in the water and the water coming out of the faucet was orangish. We just moved into the house and I was wondering why the owner before didn't have some type of filter system installed. My wife didn't even want to do the laundry with water like that because she was concerned about the whites. When I was looking at the website of Discount Water Softeners, there was a lot of information. I also talked with someone about it and he pointed me in the right direction with things. One part was they would get samples of the water and test it to see what's in the water and what's not.

But my main concern was the orangish color and that led me directly to the unit that removes the iron. I got the biggest iron filter they had and it works really good. It has cleared the water up so I don’t have any issues with the orange color anymore. It’s making the family happy and I got a good price too. I was happy with everything and I’d definitely shop at Discount Water Softeners again.

Discount Water Softeners response

We are happy to hear that you have clear, filtered water now, Dennis. Some of the information can be a lot to take in on our website which is why we're also available via the phone or email.

If you ever do have any issues in the future with your unit, please contact us. We want to keep your family happy! Thank you for your review!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

When my water softener system failed, I researched on different water softeners online and Discount Water Softeners carried a model that I was interested in. I went to their website and it was very easy to navigate. I selected the softener’s model, paid for it and had them ship it. I hired a local plumber to install it and he didn't have any trouble connecting it up because the mechanics are all the same although its technology was different. In terms of its quality, it’s very good. I noticed that it’s more efficient and I don’t use as much salt. I’d recommend them and if I needed another water softener, I’d go through them again.

Hi Frederick!

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our upflow technology to save you on salt and water usage. Thank you for your purchase and recommendation!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Water Softeners?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

My water softener system was about 19 years old, and it wasn’t working anymore. The Discount Water Softeners website was thorough and had all the information I needed, especially when comparing to other brands that I had found on other sites. It made it easy for me to figure out what they had, what the pros and cons were, and it’s what allowed me to make the right decision. I went to the site and put in a request for a quote. The salesperson called me up and asked me exactly what it is I needed, what kind of pipes I had, the size, so that he could better explain to me the stuff I saw on the website and answer any questions that I also might have had, which was helpful. I wasn’t exactly sure how the hookup was going to work and that cleared that up, which is what made me purchase it.

I got a quote with a discount and when I was ready, I bought a medium-end water softener and a hookup kit. They delivered it to my house for free and the gentleman was kind enough to bring the unit all the way down to my basement for me instead of just leaving it at the front door, which I thought was very nice. The quality as compared to the cost is very good and the system is way better than the builder grade I originally had. This was superior and very easy to install. Originally, I was getting quotes to have somebody install it and I was stunned at the price they wanted for that, especially knowing what the prices of the units were and how easy it was to install. I ended up doing it myself and saved $1,200. Also, I used to buy 40-pound bags of salt a month, and now I’m buying one a month.

Discount Water Softeners response

We're so happy that you chose us after having your original water softener for 19 years! We want to help all those who have questions regarding our water softeners and the installation process of it.

And we're pleased to hear that the delivery and set up process was quick and easy for you. Thank you for becoming a customer Mark!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I was looking for the professional grade equipment, not like what Home Depot or Lowe’s would sell. For that grade of equipment, Discount Water Softeners had the best price I could find and I was able to find all that I needed on the website. However, I found the website to be a little bit confusing and it took a little bit of work. But I installed the system myself and that was super easy. I'm happy with the product so far and I’ve already recommended it to people. I would tell others not to hesitate.

Hi Chad,

We're glad that you were able to find us and we fit your budget. Hopefully, you've seen and used our updated website since your first visit! It's been redesigned to facilitate finding the best water softener for your home. Thank you so much for recommending us and we're happy to hear you're satisfied!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We were doing a construction project to add to the house and we got the water softener system of Discount Water Softeners mainly because we wanted longevity for the appliances and fixtures. I purchased the system online and it was easy to navigate their website. Then I had a plumber install the system for me. The setup and process were easy and it was a cost-effective and quality solution.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks for choosing us Jordan! Glad to hear that the navigation was easy and so was the setup and process!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The Discount Water Softeners website was informative and easy to use. I had a couple of questions and the sales rep answered them right away. I was satisfied with their answers. The system was easy to install and I did it myself. It worked right from the get-go. I like the system and it doesn’t use much salt. I'd recommend them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks for your review Larry! And thank you for calling us with any questions that you had. We're happy to help. Thank you for recommending us in the future.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had a lot of staining on my tiles and I did some research on cost and Discount Water Softeners is the most reasonable. Their representatives are good. I ordered bits and pieces from them over the phone. I installed them myself and it was fairly easy. Since then, the water has been much better. I’ve been happy with it.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you, Brad, for the review and your purchases! Happy to hear you are that you are happy!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We were getting scales in our water and we decided to contact Discount Water Softeners because of their product's features and price. I like that I take a lot of salt in just once, fill it up, then it goes a long time with that salt as it cycles through to soften the water. I don’t have to fill it up once every six months and that was one of the reasons we waited so long to get a water softener. We didn’t want something that would require us to go down there every month and fill it up with salt.

I bought the water softener system through their website and it was fairly easy. I put in what my requirements were through the search field and it gave me models that I liked to consider with the different features that I was looking for. It was a simple process and I felt confident with what I was doing and what we got. We were able to install the system ourselves and everything was fairly straightforward. I’ve been very pleased with what it’s done so far. It helped cut down scales in the bathrooms and in the dishwashers. It also cut back on the amount of soap that we use in cleaning our clothes for the laundry. Plus, there's no negative impact on the electrical and water bills. It’s a good value for the money and a reliable product. We enjoy it and we wish Discount Water will keep up the good work.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Our old water softener system went bad so I got on Discount Water Softeners' website, saw which ones they had, looked that the specs, knew which one we needed and ordered it. I love the unit that we got and it's much more efficient than the one I replaced it with. The quality of the product was excellent and their reps were very easy to work with. I'd use Discount Water Softeners again.

Discount Water Softeners response

Quick and easy process Don! We love that! Thank you for your review!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We had a water softener system when we first moved here but then it died. We stopped using one for a while but we realized that we really needed it so we got the Genesis Premiere 32000 Grain Water from Discount Water Softeners as a replacement. My husband did a lot of research so he must have felt the cost was good. It seems to be a good fit and it’s working great so we’re happy. Even in washing our dishes, there's a huge difference. We were having problems with the dishwasher always clogging up and getting all gunky but we don’t have that problem anymore. It has been a positive experience with Discount Water Softeners.

Discount Water Softeners response

The Genesis Premiere is a great choice for a water softener. We're pleased to hear that your dishwasher is problem-free! You're saving money now too! Thank you for your review!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had hard water deposits. I bought the Genesis system through the Discount Water Softeners website and I installed the system myself. The website has a link that shows videos on how to install it on YouTube. They also have a contact number to ask questions and be able to talk to a real and experienced person in the business. I called and the rep was friendly, helpful and informative. The system is of good quality. It removes the minerals from the water and softens it. I recommend it.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you, Dale! And thanks for checking out our YouTube page for help! If you have any other questions, we're available. Thank you for your recommendation and we're happy to hear it's working well!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I’m in the purified water business so I’m very familiar with water systems. Discount’s prices are good and they also carry Genesis, the brand that I wanted to go with. I worked online but I had a unique challenge and I was trying to get special fittings because my situation was physically very limited and the standard header would not work. But I figured it out and Discount got me some extra parts I needed to make my solution work. I was really impressed with the rep I worked with. She was very sharp, knew her stuff, was honest and upfront. I believe it was the owner I may have dealt with as well. I had a very good experience with her. It was challenging. There were some things that they had no control over that needed to be done with the product itself but as far as them dealing with it, they did a good job. I refer people to Discount Water Softeners now.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks for choosing DWS, Ken.

We try to help as much as we can and make sure the installation is quick and easy. That way you have soft water as soon as possible. We're glad to hear that you had a good experience with our rep and our owner. Thank you for referring us in the future!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My previous water softener finally went kaput and we went about a year without one. My son did a lot of investigating online. And for what Discount Water Softeners got, it seemed to be a cheaper price. I called a water softener guy to come out and install the system for me, and evidently, it was fairly easy because they did it about an hour. With the new water softener, it makes a lot of difference in the water, especially in this area. My son takes care of it for me. He says it takes less water filter pellets., and he seems a bit pleased with it. It stopped working at one point, but we found out it had gotten unplugged. It's out in the garage and it had gotten unplugged. It wasn't a fault of the water softener, but it took a couple of days for it to get started again and recycle.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My water softener system failed and it had to be replaced versus calling the company to put the original one in, which was excessively expensive. I then started my research on the internet. Discount Water Softeners' price was a considerable driving factor, but on top of that, I looked at the different systems that were out there and did the best research I could and Discount's product sounded like a good system that would serve my needs with the iron problems.

I purchased the system online but I talked to a young lady consultant before I made my final decision in order to determine what I needed to buy as far as the product goes. She seemed to be very knowledgeable and has a good enough consulting piece. I also called some other companies and talked to people that actually put them in to know a little bit more about it. The system that I got is better than my old system which was 20 years old. I installed the system and it was easy, and it's working great. It also uses far less salt than the old system. I have control over the process, and the phone support with the company has been great with any questions I've had. I'm exceptionally happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My water was hard and had a little bit of iron so I wanted to take that out. Initially, I bought one from another outlet for $1,700 but when I called those people back, they changed the sales representative and I could not make any deal with them. I tried Discount Water Softeners and got the Fleck 4600. My son previously ordered the same unit and he was happy with it so I knew what model I wanted when I ordered from them. They were also a little bit cheaper than anybody else.

When I called up and talked to the actual person at Discount, I could not figure out if it was a woman or a man I was talking to and I felt that he or she was a little short with me both times I called. So I wasn’t particularly happy with that. Then, when I called them up about the delivery, they said that there was going to be a slight delay. But the tank came in about two days so I called them up and told them about it. I asked if there were any instructions with it but they said it's already pre-set and that I shouldn't need an instruction. So, the instructions could be a little better and the customer service is a bit lacking. But they got the unit to me pretty quick, it works like they say it would, and it was worth what I paid for.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I replaced our existing system with a whole house water softener from the Discount Water Softeners’ website. I researched at their site and other competitive websites, but theirs had a substantial amount of beneficial information. Also, after the sale, I spoke with their salesperson and she was very helpful. We've had the system since February and it's very good so far. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Discount Water Softeners response

We like to inform our potential customers of all specifications regarding our softeners. Thank you for taking your time to research and to review us! If you have any concerns in the future, don't hesitate to reach out!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I had a water softening system but I didn't like it. And I wanted to get one to use less salt and that could give better quality water. When I was at a home show at Freedom Homes, I talked to a guy at Discount Water Softeners' booth. He had a good product and I said I would take it. It was ordered over the phone and I got a fair price for it.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you for purchasing a water softener from us, Jack! We're happy that you were able to switch out your old softener for one that meets your needs! If you have any questions or concerns, give us a call or email us. We're here to help!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I went to Discount Water Softeners' website and I ended up talking to a rep. They instructed me how to do everything. They selected the light water softener. I went through a whole questionnaire and I answered a lot of their questions. And so, they directed me to the Genesis Revolution. They were very knowledgeable about the product and I had a great experience with them. They sent me in the right direction as far as the Genesis Revolution. I love it. It's been very reliable and I have no complaints so far.

I have a lot of hard water and the levels are pretty high so I needed the water softener system. I needed more samples to test my hard water because it was borderline and I haven't tested it in a while. I wanted to see if it's holding or if it's off a little bit but the results are much better now with the Discount Water Softeners installed. When my wife does the wash, cleaning the clothes is better now, and the dishwasher is working better too. So, it is helping out in all the way around.

I did the installation back on February 17 and they also have short videos on how to install, which was good. It was an easy setup. It wasn't complicated and everything went smooth. I'm very happy with it. When I did the installation, I put the pack from Discount Water Softeners where they have all the information right on the wall. So, when I talk about it, I got all the information here that I can tell other people.

Discount Water Softeners response

All those questions and testing paid off, Norbert! We aim to match everyone with the water softener that they need. And the results are shown by the quality of your washes, either dish or clothes. So we're happy that you are seeing results in all areas! The Genesis Revolution is a great product.

If you need anything from us, contact us. We're here to help!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

All the waters were hard so we got a Genesis from Discount Water Softeners. I purchased it through their website and I liked that I could compare the different models there. The quality of the system was very good and cost was average. But UPS had messed up the delivery. So I got in touch with Discount Water through email and they responded quickly. But I was not impressed with them since they were somewhat rude in their response.

UPS shipped it to Tampa and they were sending it back to the company. The explanation I got from UPS was that Discount Water Softeners did not pay for the separate shipping. So I contacted Discount and they said it was UPS' fault. That's where all the confusion came in. But the water is a lot better with the system and it's not near as hard on the faucets. Their customer service could have been friendlier but I would probably buy from Discount Water Softeners again and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Texas has hard water, and I had a water softener from the original purchase of the house. I knew that the water was shot so I started looking for solutions on the internet. I talked with their sales consultant and they made it easy for me to understand and to deal with. After dealing with them, I understood exactly how it works and what I need. I then bought Discount Water's Genesis Premier system. It's a water softener system with a separate canister for the salt. It was the best cost I found anywhere. When I had a question, I called them, they showed me through their video on the website and I solved the issue myself. Buying a Discount Water Softeners has been the best experience I had and I am extremely satisfied with it.

Discount Water Softeners response

Learning about the ins and outs of hard water and water softeners can be difficult so we're happy that our customer service was able to help! Thank you so much for your feedback, Felipe!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I got Discount Water Softeners to replace my old water softener that quit working. We bought it through their website and the pricing was comparable to what I could find in other places. It is easier to service and it uses less salt. I'd tell a friend that it's a good place to purchase water softeners from.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you for purchasing your water softener from us, Charles! Our Genesis water softeners are meant to be easy to service, save you salt, and money. Thanks for your future recommendation!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I have hard water and so I bought a water softener. Discount did everything they said they would do, shipped everything out quickly, and kept me informed of what was going on. However, now the water softener doesn’t seem to soften the water as much as I thought it would and it leaves a funny taste. I’ve spoken with the Discount reps several times and they would just tell us to taste-test our water again. They said we're going to get a little salty taste, but it is metallic. They didn't try to help me out with anything. I finally got fed up with it and figured I’ll have to live with it until I can get it replaced with something else.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

The water at my son's house was very hard. He and his wife waited a little too long and it was ruining their dishes and dishwasher so I called Discount Water Softeners. I wanted more details and I talked to a very nice rep who guided me in the right direction. She's very intelligent and I enjoyed talking to her. The problem is now solved and my son told me 20 times how well the softener is working. My son and I are happy.

Discount Water Softeners response

You're a great parent Dennis! Thank you for going to us for a water softener and we are glad that your son and his wife now have soft water! If you or your son have any questions or concerns, let us know and we'd be happy to assist!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I purchased a Discount filter through their website six months ago. It’s a good filter.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you for your purchase, Jeff!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We're up in Gladwin where we got our water tested and had 31 hardeners. The 32,000 Genesis Spring we got from Discount Water Softeners took it down to seven hardeners so it's doing something. But our water's still hard and with our situation, we might need a little more. The rep said we could get our interference from other things, but we don't have the money to spend on that. We're happy with their product though. We bought it over the phone and the rep we talked to was great. She also answered a lot of questions. We would recommend them to anybody.

Discount Water Softeners response

We're sorry to hear that you still have some hard water issues. If there is still anything else we can do in the future, please let us know. And thank you for still recommending us!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I got well water and my water softener system was 20 years old and I wanted to upgrade it and get a more efficient one. So, I got Genesis from Discount Water Softeners via their website. Their website was good and everything was helpful. It was great for instructions on how to hook it all up and I did it myself. They sent me a booklet and everything was perfectly clear to me. I haven't had it for years but I use probably about a quarter of the salt that I used to use, so I'm saving money every month. I love their product and it's worth it and I've told people about it. Overall, it's a very pleasant purchase.

Discount Water Softeners response

Congratulations on setting up your new Genesis water softener Jed! We love hearing that! Thank you so much for your purchase and your review.

And thank you for the recommendation. If you have any questions, we're available!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We have extremely hard water in the town I live in. I went online and talked to somebody from Discount Water Softeners. I never had a water softener before. And if I understood water softeners better, the information I got would've been easy to understand. But I had a good experience with them. I purchased a Genesis water softener and it seems to be working okay and the water is softer than it was before.

Discount Water Softeners response

All the terms can get a bit complicated, why try to give clear information whenever we speak with customers. We're happy to hear that the water softener is working and your water is softer now! Thank you, Mark, for your review!

Discount Water Softeners expert review by Greg Chick

Discount Water Softeners has been offering commercial and residential water treatment solutions for over 25 years. It sells, services and installs water softeners, iron filters, reverse osmosis systems, sulfur filters and more. Consumers can order products online with free shipping, as well as take advantage of multiple online sales and specials.

• Home filtration: Discount Water Softeners offers whole-house carbon filtration, pH neutralizer and clover bottleless water cooler systems. Consumers can visit their website for a full list of each systems models, complete with pricing and features.

• Water softeners: Discount Water Softeners provides multiple models of on-demand, timered, cabinet style and commercial water softeners. It includes a water softener sizing chart online to help consumers determine the correct water softener for their home based on the number of people living in the residence.

• Free water hardness test kit: Discount Water Softeners will send free water hardness testing kits for city water residents. Consumers can fill out an online form with their basic information, how many people live in the home and how many bathrooms are in the home. Discount Water Softeners includes a coupon towards the purchase of a water softener with each kit.

• Install videos and guides: For consumers installing their water treatment products themselves, Discount Water Softeners provides online installation guides and videos. To view a guide in PDF form, simply click the model number to see the installation instructions. It also includes videos for the installation of various water softeners and water filtration systems.

• Water softener warranties: All of Discount Water Softeners water softeners come with full warranties. The fiberglass tanks come with a 10-year warranty, softener valves carry a five-year warranty and brine tanks have a five-year warranty.

• Best for: consumers looking for a wide variety of water treatment systems.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick

Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Discount Water Softeners Company Information