4.44/5

Need a water treatment system?

Discount Water Softeners

Have you been interested in installing a water softener system? Discount Water Softeners offers a variety of softeners in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. Not only do we offer a variety of water softeners, but we also have a selection of filtration and reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, water testing kits, and more. Whatever your need might be, Discount Water Softeners guarantees quality products. Visit our website today for specials and order your products today!

Need a water treatment system?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Discount Water Softeners Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had a water softener system which was 18 years old and it wasn’t working very well, so I needed to change. The neighbor across the way got one from Discount Water Softener and he was happy with it. I talked to him and he has had his water softener for about two months. He said that if I was considering Discount Water Softener, he got an email. There was a kind of a sale of 30% discount. It was a fair price. I looked at it on the website and I started ordering it there. I had a question on the size of the connector, the ¾ versus a 1-inch, and I wasn’t 100% sure, so I called. The guy was able to help me out and I ended up doing it through him. If I would've understood that, I would've probably just done it online. The quality of the softener is good and I’m totally satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I was having some problems with hard water and the range on hardness was pretty bad. It was leaving some water spots on the dishes and glass. I got an upflow system through Discount Water Softeners and I was hoping that I would save some money on salt. Everything went alright, except that it was hard to get a hold of the guy I was dealing with. I was trying to communicate back and forth with text messages and email. I had a little problem at first since we had a lot of storms come through here when I put the system in, and I don't know if lightning got it or what it was, but I had some difficulty with it. They seemed to try to help me out with it, and sent me a circuit board, but the circuit board they sent me was wrong. They had to reorder.

Finally, they sent me a whole control head, and I put that on there and I haven't had any problems since. I had been waiting on them to send me a return authorization. I thought they might want the old unit head or the control back but I never did get a return number on it. At this time, the system seems to be functioning all right.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We moved to Vermont and we have a well. And when we did the water test, the water had issues as far as pH, hardness, and some bacteria. I bought a softener and a bacteria filter from Discount. I liked that Discount didn’t string us along. Their competitors would give one price, and they tend to tell you something in email about some special and they kept on lowering their price on water softeners. Discount was a bit more of a straight shooter. Their sales consultants took a little time to get back to me, but they got back to me at some point and we had a good interaction. Since using the Discount products, the water pH is good. You can look at your silverware or your pots and pans, and there is a white film all over it when the water’s really hard. And that’s not there anymore. I can tell we have better water. And based on the test, everything is in line. So, it does work. Discount is good. They’re fairly priced. And I feel comfortable to recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I had hard water and I had to replace the faucets once every six months. I went online and looked at the product line of Discount Water Softeners. The website was very appealing and easy to navigate. I called them and talked to one of the representatives. He ran through my situation and asked me to do a water hardness test which was good since he could assess and actually calculate what water specific softener size and regulation I needed to have on my softener. So, I did so and got a hold of the guy and he was very helpful. I purchased the water softener and brought it home. The instructions were great and we put it together. Everything worked out fine. It doesn’t take a lot to maintain it and it solved my problem. I had to refill the salt but the resin is still holding up and works perfectly. Everything that I programmed in it stays as it is. It operates smoothly and I would recommend it to a family member or a friend.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

If you need a properly-sized water softener, give Discount Water Softeners a try. They are knowledgeable about their products and I had a good experience dealing with them. They were good people. My old water softener at my rental property had worn out. It was junk and I needed one with larger capacity because the people moving in have four kids. It didn't take me long to figure out what I needed since I had some water testing done and I was able to figure out there's hardness in our well water. I was able to give the Discount reps the iron content in the water, how many people are gonna be in the home and how many bathrooms it has. They were able to come up with a system that worked for me.

I was able to install the product, which came along well boxed. The nice thing about Discount is that they have some videos on their website on how to install it so it was not a very hard process. I was able to follow along. Then they give you set parameters, as well as how to start it up. It's an easy machine once you looked at the videos. It looks like the softener is working well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Water Softeners?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The system itself worked great until the head assembly died. It would no longer power up causing the system not to work. The warranty states they will replace all parts up to 120 months on the premier system. Long story short I made several calls a spoke with a rep. that assured me my issue was being moved to the front of the list multiple times. I even contacted them by email with no response. Now it's been over a month with no softener.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Unit was installed in July 19. I have had two brine tank overflows of salt water into my garage in less than 3 months, but back to the beginning. Purchase and delivery went as expected. I installed the unit successfully, the directions could be clearer and in the proper sequence, but it worked initially. My wife noticed the unit stopped softening, she is very sensitive to the water condition, so I did a manual recharge. The unit had done an initial recharge at install, but I believe this was the first recharge since install, lets call it 4-5 weeks.

Fortunately I was home as I went into the garage about 30 minutes later to find salt water all over the floor. I bypassed the system and contacted Discount Water Softeners for help. The repair process has been slow - voice mails that are eventually answered. I had to be home to walk through the diagnosis with Bill, after which he had to talk to Genesis to see what they would do, followed by snail mailing the parts (not overnight) and me having to install the parts. 10 day to 2 weeks total for repair. I requested a complete new unit at the time as mine is obviously faulty, and Bill sent 20 cents worth of plastic parts that "was the only thing that could be the problem". I had to install the parts and the system did work normally on the first re-charge.

Yesterday, less than 3 weeks after the first repair, after returning from a week on the road my wife complained of hard water again. I again started a manual re-charge and 10 minutes later more salt water on the floor. Same problem! It was Saturday and I texted photos of the unit/problem to Bill and have heard nothing. I hope to hear from someone first thing tomorrow morning, but suspect I'll have to initiate contact to make something happen. Bill is nice to talk to on the phone, know his systems, but hasn't taken care of me. The worst thing is the total lack of urgency or concern about not having soft water in my home or the damage these overflows have caused to my home. I'll update this review after this problem has been resolved.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I purchase equipment three years ago. Everything installed and working fine. Started having problem several weeks ago with chemical feed solution going directly into drain tank. Water softener continued to run pump constantly and water softener continued to send chemical feed into the drain. Contact was made by phone to tech support, with no response. Followed up several times and spoke with a lady who promised that tech support would contact me within an hour. No one called me back. When my calls were not returned, I tried the Web Support. Sent all the pics that was asked for, then called again. The lady who answered the phone said that the information was received and that they would would get back with me. That was about a week again, I'm still waiting. This system is still under warranty.... Very disappointed with this company!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Purchased a Fleck 9100sxt 3 weeks ago and the water softener is not softening my water as much as it should. Don't know if I can change the settings to make it soften more. I have called the so called technical support several times each week and emailed about three times. Have talked with a lady in their office a couple of times and she said the technical support would get back to me that day on two separate occasions. Still have not heard from them. Discount Water Softeners did get the Softener to me in a good manner but that was it. No support of any kind. I would not buy from them again for this reason. Highly recommend using someone else who has at least some technical help.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I purchased $2500 worth of equipment (water softener and the "Eliminator" system) 3 years ago and all went smoothly with the initial install and for the first 3 years of operation. About 4 weeks ago, I noticed the discharge line from the Fleck control valve on the Eliminator system was leaking constantly to the drain. I disassembled the head, and discovered the coating on the piston was falling apart causing water to leak by the seals. I remembered the 5 year warranty which specifically covers pistons, and so I contacted the company.

8/19/2019 - I initially talked to a rep on the phone and she told me to text pictures of the parts, which I did. 8/22/2019 - No response, so I text asking for confirmation that they received the pictures. No response. 9/6/2019 - Another text asking for a status, no response. 9/9/2019 - Another text asking for status, no response. 9/10/2019 - No response yet...

I also called the tech service line a couple times, and left a message asking for a call back, explaining water is leaking, and that I'd at least like confirmation that the warranty claim is in process. No returned phone calls or texts to date. On the main website, if you follow the "Customer and Technical Support" link at the bottom, it states the expected call-back time is the same business day... I'll update this if they ever make good on this, but at this point I'm not expecting much. Consider yourself warned - you may get a decent price on what you need, but don't expect any customer service or to be able to file any warranty claims!

Discount Water Softeners response

This matter was resolved and customer did not like that the piston was not covered under warranty. The piston damage was caused by harsh water conditions that are not covered in any water treatment manufacturer warranties. Claims of us not responding are inaccurate. We let the customer know about the warranty and unfortunately we were given this review because he did not like it.

Discount Water Softeners expert review by Greg Chick

Discount Water Softeners has been offering commercial and residential water treatment solutions for over 25 years. It sells, services and installs water softeners, iron filters, reverse osmosis systems, sulfur filters and more. Consumers can order products online with free shipping, as well as take advantage of multiple online sales and specials.

• Home filtration: Discount Water Softeners offers whole-house carbon filtration, pH neutralizer and clover bottleless water cooler systems. Consumers can visit their website for a full list of each systems models, complete with pricing and features.

• Water softeners: Discount Water Softeners provides multiple models of on-demand, timered, cabinet style and commercial water softeners. It includes a water softener sizing chart online to help consumers determine the correct water softener for their home based on the number of people living in the residence.

• Free water hardness test kit: Discount Water Softeners will send free water hardness testing kits for city water residents. Consumers can fill out an online form with their basic information, how many people live in the home and how many bathrooms are in the home. Discount Water Softeners includes a coupon towards the purchase of a water softener with each kit.

• Install videos and guides: For consumers installing their water treatment products themselves, Discount Water Softeners provides online installation guides and videos. To view a guide in PDF form, simply click the model number to see the installation instructions. It also includes videos for the installation of various water softeners and water filtration systems.

• Water softener warranties: All of Discount Water Softeners water softeners come with full warranties. The fiberglass tanks come with a 10-year warranty, softener valves carry a five-year warranty and brine tanks have a five-year warranty.

• Best for: consumers looking for a wide variety of water treatment systems.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
      Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Discount Water Softeners Company Information