Call toll free
(855) 410-2095
4.45/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Have you been interested in installing a water softener system? Discount Water Softeners offers a variety of softeners in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. Not only do we offer a variety of water softeners, but we also have a selection of filtration and reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, water testing kits, and more. Whatever your need might be, Discount Water Softeners guarantees quality products. Visit our website today for specials and order your products today!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

137 Discount Water Softeners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I bought a Genesis water softener for the whole house. The price made me go with Discount Water Softeners and I got what I asked for. Plus, the cost compared well with the quality. It seems to perform and the water is softer. I would recommend Discount Water Softeners.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Bill, my Discount Water Softeners sales rep, did a good job. He put together for me exactly what I wanted. He created a link and I ordered the system online through Discount Water Softeners' website. I replaced my existing system with a Fleck 9100 two-tank system. The follow-up service was a little difficult though. I tried to call in, but that was a joke. I emailed back and forth, but that took a day or two. Eventually, I called the manufacturer and they walked me through the steps that I needed and answered the questions I had. Still, Discount Water Softeners did a nice job. They delivered what they said they would and their system has been working well.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have very hard water in our town, coming into our house and had installed a water softener about 20 years ago. That one was what needed to be replaced so I got the new water softener from Discount Water Softeners. I had to research and determine which one I wanted. I stayed with the same company-making model that I had in the past that was highly-rated, based on some of the reviews I saw. I upgraded the one that would automatically recycle a cleaning only when it was needed, rather than a fix number of days.

When I determined which one I wanted, I zeroed on it based on price and size. It was also recommended by the manufacturer of the unit. They had some very good people in customer service who are very helpful. With a little help from the manufacturer, installation was relatively easy using what they call SharkBite fittings. There was a lot of heavy-duty plumbing to do. To remove the old one and install the new one, took a couple of hours. I’m very satisfied with Discount Water. They’re very high-quality based on what I’ve read and based on my experience so far. We’re happy. Since the installation the glass on the shower has less hard water marks on it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We built a new house and the water was hard as hell. We had to have a water softener unless we wanted to clean our pitchers, so we purchased the Discount Water Softeners Genesis 48,000 Grain system. I picked what I needed on the website, called, and asked the rep a few questions, and I bought it. They had good prices and I spent $1,400 on the system. The rep was knowledgeable as well. However, if I want technical support or if you have questions, I could never get through for help. I waited too long to the point where I just hung up. They could have better tech support. Also, when the system regenerates, it sounds like a tornado. I have to make it cycle in the middle of the night so I don't run out of saltwater in the daytime. Still, the water softer now and is not even as near as it tasted before.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I needed a water softener system to prevent the pipes from corroding and to make the laundry whiter, using less soap. I had a water softener system before then I decided to give the Genesis a try. Discount Water Softeners advertised the different method of the machine. There are two kinds of flow and this uses less water and less salt. But I don’t truly know if I’m saving water or not. My water bill doesn’t say although maybe, I’m not checking correctly. But other than that, I have no problems. I've had the system for less than a year and for maintenance, I just add up the salt. I also called them a couple of times and the representatives were very helpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Water Softeners?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I read the reviews on Discount Water and they seem to be good so I tried them. I purchased the Genesis system over the phone and the agent was very knowledgeable so I decided to buy it from him. He really knew what he was talking about and it’s a great unit. I’m happy with it. It uses about half the amount of salt that my old unit used, and it works fine. I paid a little more for that than I could’ve paid for the same modern replica of what I had. It was a few hundred dollars more, but this one’s a lot better. There's higher technology in it. I would tell others to use Discount Water.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The water is horrible at my house. It was leaving a white residue all over the faucets and the drains. I googled water softeners and Discount Water is what came up initially on that. Then I went in another website and got the price point of what I wanted to spend on the system. Then I made sure it was big enough to handle the number of people in my house. I purchased a full system online and had it sent to me then I watched the installation videos on YouTube. It took me about an hour and a half with the bulk of that because the drainage pipe crossed my basement. But it was easy to install.

For what I paid for, it's a decent system. It seems to be well-made and the results were good. It makes a big difference. You can tell when the water comes out when you're taking showers. I'm also not scrubbing my sink every other day now. The system has impacted our life quite well. We're also not going through as much as salt as I originally anticipated so I'm happy about that. I've even recommended Discount Water to a couple of people I work with.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I moved into a new construction that did not have a water softener system, and I purchased a Fleck water softener from Discount Water Softeners. I placed the order online and got a confirmation email that the order was processed. Then they called me the following day to confirm that everything was accurate, provided when the shipping would come and sent the shipping information out via email as well. They were just up the road so the delivery was really quick. They called Tuesday and they had it there Wednesday. I was more than satisfied with the delivery time especially considering it was a free delivery. The items came exactly how they described it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I’ve visited Discount Water's site two or three times, and it’s user-friendly. If the item's in stock, it usually ships immediately, which is anywhere from three to five business days depending on how it has to come in. If it’s LTL, it might be a little bit longer, but if it’s UPS, it’s usually easy ground. We got a couple of water softeners and the filter units based on client demand. We’ve had a good experience all in all.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

The water softener system that I had was old so I decided to get a new one. I had Discount Water Softeners at my old house and they were good enough that I bought through them again. I got it through a website. It went fine finding what I was looking for, understanding the pricing, and ordering the product. The cost was pretty good and competitive for what it was and the system has been good so far. I’ve recommended it to a friend who bought off their site.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Our old water softener system was in a bad shape. I had to replace it as I needed soft water. I purchased one from the Discount Water Softeners' website and the ordering process was easy. The Discount water softener works awesome and the cost is reasonable. Also, the shipping was really fast as it took about 4 days.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My old water softener system went out on me after 15 years, so I needed a new one and Discount Water Softeners' technology and price were intriguing. When I ordered their water softener, I did most of it online and their website was nice and effective. Then I confirmed my order over the phone with the rep to make sure that I was getting the right stuff. Since I had already done most of the research, when I chatted with their consultant, it was about confirming that what I was buying was the right solution. But the solution that I purchased from them was garbage. It doesn't perform to the level of efficiency that it was supposed to and I’ve never been able to successfully get it to complete a cycle without running out of hard water. I've made all the adjustments, but it's still running less efficiently than something I would buy from a big-box store for half the price and get a better performing solution.

Within a month after buying their product, I've reached out to Discount, but I haven't been able to get any support from them. They just finger-pointed and said it was the manufacturer's problem and they pushed me out to deal with the manufacturer on my own. The manufacturer has been good at me, but Discount itself won’t even talk to me. I have bought three other water softeners for my other properties and I'm very happy with them, and I have no reason to go back to Discount. Although they've got a great website and they have good potential for a great product, they won’t back it up and it doesn't do what they said it was supposed to do. It has been performing very poorly and I'm not satisfied with it. As a matter of fact, I was trying to get them to swap out one of their piece-of-crap water softeners and they would get back the fancy one that I bought from them, since it's of that much value to me.

Scott,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We originally involved the manufacturer at their request when we reached out to them to assist. We will be contacting them again to let them know that the issue is still not resolved for you. We do apologize and assure you we will make sure the issue you are experiencing with your system is resolved for you

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My softener had died. It was 20 years old and wasn't softening the water at all. I'm on well water which is extremely hard and I like the feel of soft water. So, I went to Discount Water Softeners' website and ordered a water softener. The process was pretty seamless. The site kind of walked me through everything pretty well including installation. It was also very easy to define how many people in the home and what the demand would be. The only thing I struggled with was trying to get my well company tell me the hardness of the water. They didn't really want to disclose a lot of that stuff for reasons I'm not sure.

The product came here very quickly. Within a couple of weeks, it was at the door. I installed it myself and the softener seems excellent. It's got a straightforward kind of digital input and the hook is quiet. As compared to my old one, this softener doesn't seem to be wasteful of either salt or water which I'm happy about. Going with Discount Water Softeners is such an easy option. I've recommended them to a friend.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks Kipley for your review! We want to make the process of purchasing the right water softener for your home as seamless as possible. So thank you for reviewing that process! We're sorry to hear that your well company wasn't very comparative. But we are happy to hear that you have soft water now! Thank you again for your review and for recommending DWS!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I built a new house and needed the water softener because we're on a well and we have tannins in our water. I went to Discount Water Softeners' website and got their Upflow Genesis water softener. The water softener seems to be fine, but I picked up a core separator and the top of it blew off while I was out of the house, which flooded my basement. It happened the other day and I haven't called them yet. But overall, I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My old water softener unit stopped working and I got the Genesis Upflow Premier unit as a replacement. I ordered it through Discount Water Softeners' website and it was simple and easy to use. They had everything laid out well and it worked out well. I've been using the water softener but it's not working exactly as I expected. I've reached out to Discount's customer service support, and they sent me a confirmation email that they received my request. But I'm still waiting for somebody to contact me. The company itself has been great and I would definitely do business with them again. But the product that I've had has not been ideal.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased an income property and it did not have a water softener system. The property is located in a place where there is very hard water. The dishwasher and the washing machine didn't work. All the aerators were covered with lime and calcium. I was putting in new appliances and decided to put the water softener to make sure they would work well. I purchased the Genesis Premier UpFlow from Discount Water Softeners. Their website has pretty good comparisons and I have purchased four water softeners off their website at different times.

The quality of their items is very high. They work very well and are relatively easy to install. The instructions were straightforward and easy to follow. There were no parts missing, they were well put together, and well-packaged. It's been about six months since the latest one was installed and everything seems to be operating fine and there's no evidence of hard water damage.

My overall experience was good. It gave me the confidence in what I was purchasing and confidence to recommend what I was purchasing in the website to other people. I have recommended Discount Water Softeners to a few people who were looking for or have looked for them. I have neighbors who have used the site and purchased water softeners as a result. I tell others to figure out what they need and the website can help them do that. Some of the assumptions on water use are a little bit outdated. Go explore it and when you pick one, buy one from them. They have quality items at reasonable prices. I'm probably gonna be looking them up again within the next year or so to buy another water softener for a different property. I don't intend to even look anywhere else unless they drastically change their product line or dramatically change their prices relative to other vendors.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We have hard water so we got a water softener system from Discount Water Softeners. I talked to them on the phone and visited their website too. Their website was good and their rep was great. It was good talking on the phone just to make sure I will get the right product and they were very helpful doing that. And then once I knew that, it was easy to go online and do it all there. We explored through all the options and they made sure I was getting the right size. So far, the quality is good and the cost was great. Since then, our water is softer. I’d recommend them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Hearing that our website and our reps are great really makes us happy! And we're even more happy that you have soft water now. Thank you for recommending us, John!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

This company's product is 100% US-made and from talking to them over the phone and reading reviews, it seemed like a solid product. I was replacing an older unit and was ordering from Discount Water Softeners online. But then I started a chat and had a phone call with someone. The representatives I spoke with were totally fine. I knew what I was looking for but they did help guide my decision-making as well. Then I did the installation myself. There were no issue and now, it's working fine. Discount Water Softeners has good customer service and good quality product.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you so much for your review Pete! Being a U.S. based company is very important to us and we're proud to be! We're glad to hear that the process was smooth and that our reps were helpful. If there's ever anything that you need help with or have questions, please get in touch with us!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Our water softener system in the shower went out and the water was hard. The water didn't soap up and there were no suds in the shower. Our skin and hair didn't soften and it made our skin itchy as well, so we wanted another system. We then bought a system from Discount Water Softeners because of the price. Its quality seems good and we don't have any complaints.

Discount Water Softeners response

Having hard water isn't fun and experiencing the results from that is even worse so we're very glad that you now have soft water! Thank you for purchasing from us and if you ever have questions or concerns, please contact us.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had hard water and I purchased the water softener and water purification under the sink from Discount Water Softeners. I bought them through the website and it was easy to navigate. Then, I had some issues with the water purification thing. It wasn't producing water and it wasn't building pressure. I went around and around for a while with their service department in trying to get that figured out. In the end, they sent me a new one and that seemed to work great. But it took a little while to get a replacement sent over. Other than that, the quality of the items seem to be fine and using them made my wife happy. I would recommend Discount Water Softeners.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks, Blake for your review. We're sorry that the first unit wasn't working properly but we're happy that the second unit is working well! If there's anything else that we can help you with, please let us know! And thank you for recommending us!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I've tried a water softener at one of my friend's house. Since I liked it, I also got a water softener and ordered it over the phone from Discount. The representative was easy to work with. However, I'm confused and I have some questions 'cause the quality of the water at my friend's house is better. Also, we see a lot of salt build-up around the faucet and we didn't get a proper manual on how much salt I should put in the salt bucket. We feel like the water is not coming the way it should and sometimes, after the reconditioning cycle, we see that the water comes out really brown and we have to flush it.

Hi Priyen,

We're happy to hear that our rep was easy to work with. If you could give us a call at (847) 462-9000 or email us, we want to resolve this for you! We also have our manuals online for easy access! https://www.discountwatersofteners.com/manuals/

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I ordered a water softener from Discount Water and it got here quicker than I thought it was gonna get here. I've never ordered anything that big in the mail and there were no problems. Everything showed up and I installed it. Their website was also easy to navigate and their product had a decent price too. I bought the whole-house system and so far, the quality is good and it's is doing what it's supposed to do.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thanks, Steve for your review! Knowing that it was straightforward for you makes us happy. If you have any questions, please reach out!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

The house I bought had a water softener system but I had to keep resetting the computer board as the system was probably 16 years old. There are softeners that are a lot more energy efficient, so I didn't want to battle with the old one. I purchased my new water softener right through Discount on the internet and the ordering process was fine. The Discount water softener seems to get rid of the iron real good. I know softeners don’t get rid of iron, but the Discount water softener gets rid quite a bit of it so I’m really happy about it. The only trouble I had wasn’t really the softener’s fault. It’s just that there was too much salt in the bridge, so I had to flake the bridge in the tank and it has been working fine now.

I’d tell my friends to go ahead and purchase a Discount water softener. The main reason I did was because one of the reviews or advertisements they had said, "No questions asked." I studied it for a couple of months before I decided to go with them. Although the softener I got had a seven or 10-year guarantee, I worry more about the powerhead more than anything in it. So if the softener lasts that long then I’m pretty happy with it because I don’t see anything else going wrong except for the powerhead on the softener. I know a lot of water softeners don’t have that long of a guarantee. So for the extra money, I get with Discount some things that I like as their softener would operate a bit different than the other softeners where the water went off. Also, the Discount water softener saves on salt that I don’t use as it kinda regenerates it a bit.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your review. We're happy to hear that your water softener is working to remove even the extra iron in your water!

If anything ever happens with the powerhead, don't hesitate to let us know. We'll look into what we can do to satisfy you! Thank you for recommending us and we're happy to also hear that you're seeing the salt savings.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The system I got from Discount Water Softener was for a new home. I'm in an area with hard water and I was given recommendations. When I did price comparisons to the Big Box, Lowe's and Home Depot, Discount Water was cheaper enough. I purchased the whole-house system through a website and the ordering was pretty straightforward. I had to do some research on the size that I needed. Online shopping for a water softener is a little tricky because you have to know how hard your water is and the grains per gallon, but once I knew what size I needed as far as going on that website and finding the right size, it was pretty easy.

The system was shipped and then I had a local plumber install it. We have been living in the house for a little bit before we got the system, so we could definitely tell the significant difference when we got it hooked up, how softer the water is. I’m definitely satisfied with Discount Water. My experience with them was mostly positive and I’ve recommended them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Doing your due diligence paid off Kevin! We're pleased that you went with us and have seen the results in your new home.

It can be tricky shopping for a water softener so we're glad you were able to figure it out. If you need any help in the future, don't hesitate to ask! Thank you for the recommendation!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have hard water. I went on the website of Discount Water Softeners and I decided to purchase their product online. The ordering process was moderately easy and their website was easy-ish to navigate through. But there were some things that were a little strange and confusing, but not terrible, so I had to call them. I dealt directly with their customer service reps and they were fine. When the product was delivered, one part came broken, which was kinda disappointing. They shipped me a new part but it was sad to get a part that was broken in shipping. Also, the installation instructions were subpar at best. There were instructions on part of it but there were no instructions on how to put everything else on. That was pretty bad. Other than that, I've noticed a difference in my water since having their system. It’s not earth-shattering, but it is better.

Hi Craig,

We're disappointed to hear that the installation process wasn't easy. There are also videos available to assist you. If those didn't help, please let us know exactly what part of the process gave you trouble so we can improve in the future.

If there's anything we can do in the future, please let us know. We're here to help.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

When I purchased the Fleck 5600, I ordered it through the Discount Water Softeners' website. The process was quick, and their reps contacted me through email. However, the last product I received looked like there was a shift to a different manufacturer, so it came a bit different from the other products they had. In addition, they need to deal with a better quality control on their shipment through UPS. Given the quality of the items I've purchased, I’m switching to a different supplier.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was able to get the water softener unit from Discount Water Softener for half the cost as compared to the places that deal directly in it, so I was really happy. I then had the unit installed by my own guy and he also recommended the unit because his has lasted close to 30 years. I'm really happy with what I got. I can see how many gallons it has before it recharges and it keeps a running count. That's a really nice feature that I enjoyed, and it's easy to use. It's all touch button and I can reset it. It's a pretty nice system and the water's a lot better using it. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I'm running on a well and it's known to be a hard area so I needed to get some of the iron out and some of the softness in. I looked at a lot of different products and purchased the Fleck 5600SXT from Discount Water through their website as it seemed that it was the best value for my money. However, I was disappointed that I never got a response back when I placed a request for a basic setup initially. I was able to get a setup to what I believe is correct, but I'm not 100% sure for the size of softener that I have. We've only had it for six months but it seems to be functioning fine and it does its job. I'm also using an iron out salt so I don't have any redness in any of the fixtures in the house. I've been very pleased with my experience and I'd recommend them.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I'm disappointed with the Genesis model that I got from Discount Water Softeners and I'm thinking of returning it. I was replacing my previous one because it was so old and something in it was failing. I figured that the kits needed to do the maintenance on it were almost as much as the softener. When Discount offered Genesis, I liked the idea of not using as much salt. Also, while all the traditional water softeners were downflow, Genesis was upflowing and the water has gone through a lot of salt. It also says on their website that everybody's been satisfied with it. There's none that's been returned. After doing research, I looked at the size of it and then I picked the model.

I thought it would be maintenance-free for a long time and I just needed salt. But the unit doesn't work as advertised. It is big enough for my family of four and the house, but there have been a lot of times that we didn't have soft water and I'm not sure why. I go down and I manually regenerate it but then it still doesn't have soft water. I constantly have to clean our fixtures in our house because of it. I spent a lot of time on the unit to get it to the required rates that they advertised. I even went over it, hoping that it'd regenerate more. But it doesn't. It also doesn't use the salt like they say it does.

Another thing with it is that I can't set the times when I want to regenerate. Once you set your hardness and all the criteria for the softener, it sets its own times. I looked at different companies such as Fleck and Culligan but I went with the bang for the buck. I took a chance on Discount but in hindsight, I should have just bought the $600 Fleck model that was very similar to what I had. I probably would have been happier since at least my old one kept my water softened.

Hi Brian,

We're sorry to hear about the issues that have arisen from your purchase. Contact us and we will help with the setting issues you are having. Feel free to email or call and we will get try to rectify the issues.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I replaced an existing water softener system and purchased the mid-grade product from Discount Water Softeners. My interaction with the sales consultant was great and the quality of the item I purchased was very good. I noticed that the product uses a lot less water than the previous one. We also noticed that the water usage is down as well as the salt usage.

Discount Water Softeners expert review by Greg Chick

Discount Water Softeners has been offering commercial and residential water treatment solutions for over 25 years. It sells, services and installs water softeners, iron filters, reverse osmosis systems, sulfur filters and more. Consumers can order products online with free shipping, as well as take advantage of multiple online sales and specials.

• Home filtration: Discount Water Softeners offers whole-house carbon filtration, pH neutralizer and clover bottleless water cooler systems. Consumers can visit their website for a full list of each systems models, complete with pricing and features.

• Water softeners: Discount Water Softeners provides multiple models of on-demand, timered, cabinet style and commercial water softeners. It includes a water softener sizing chart online to help consumers determine the correct water softener for their home based on the number of people living in the residence.

• Free water hardness test kit: Discount Water Softeners will send free water hardness testing kits for city water residents. Consumers can fill out an online form with their basic information, how many people live in the home and how many bathrooms are in the home. Discount Water Softeners includes a coupon towards the purchase of a water softener with each kit.

• Install videos and guides: For consumers installing their water treatment products themselves, Discount Water Softeners provides online installation guides and videos. To view a guide in PDF form, simply click the model number to see the installation instructions. It also includes videos for the installation of various water softeners and water filtration systems.

• Water softener warranties: All of Discount Water Softeners water softeners come with full warranties. The fiberglass tanks come with a 10-year warranty, softener valves carry a five-year warranty and brine tanks have a five-year warranty.

• Best for: consumers looking for a wide variety of water treatment systems.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Discount Water Softeners Company Information