4.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Have you been interested in installing a water softener system? Discount Water Softeners offers a variety of softeners in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. Not only do we offer a variety of water softeners, but we also have a selection of filtration and reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, water testing kits, and more. Whatever your need might be, Discount Water Softeners guarantees quality products. Visit our website today to obtain coupons and order your products today!

A-BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

77 Discount Water Softeners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

When my water softener system failed, I researched on different water softeners online and Discount Water Softeners carried a model that I was interested in. I went to their website and it was very easy to navigate. I selected the softener’s model, paid for it and had them ship it. I hired a local plumber to install it and he didn't have any trouble connecting it up because the mechanics are all the same although its technology was different. In terms of its quality, it’s very good. I noticed that it’s more efficient and I don’t use as much salt. I’d recommend them and if I needed another water softener, I’d go through them again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

My water softener system was about 19 years old, and it wasn’t working anymore. The Discount Water Softeners website was thorough and had all the information I needed, especially when comparing to other brands that I had found on other sites. It made it easy for me to figure out what they had, what the pros and cons were, and it’s what allowed me to make the right decision. I went to the site and put in a request for a quote. The salesperson called me up and asked me exactly what it is I needed, what kind of pipes I had, the size, so that he could better explain to me the stuff I saw on the website and answer any questions that I also might have had, which was helpful. I wasn’t exactly sure how the hookup was going to work and that cleared that up, which is what made me purchase it.

I got a quote with a discount and when I was ready, I bought a medium-end water softener and a hookup kit. They delivered it to my house for free and the gentleman was kind enough to bring the unit all the way down to my basement for me instead of just leaving it at the front door, which I thought was very nice. The quality as compared to the cost is very good and the system is way better than the builder grade I originally had. This was superior and very easy to install. Originally, I was getting quotes to have somebody install it and I was stunned at the price they wanted for that, especially knowing what the prices of the units were and how easy it was to install. I ended up doing it myself and saved $1,200. Also, I used to buy 40-pound bags of salt a month, and now I’m buying one a month.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I was looking for the professional grade equipment, not like what Home Depot or Lowe’s would sell. For that grade of equipment, Discount Water Softeners had the best price I could find and I was able to find all that I needed on the website. However, I found the website to be a little bit confusing and it took a little bit of work. But I installed the system myself and that was super easy. I'm happy with the product so far and I’ve already recommended it to people. I would tell others not to hesitate.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We were doing a construction project to add to the house and we got the water softener system of Discount Water Softeners mainly because we wanted longevity for the appliances and fixtures. I purchased the system online and it was easy to navigate their website. Then I had a plumber install the system for me. The setup and process were easy and it was a cost-effective and quality solution.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The Discount Water Softeners website was informative and easy to use. I had a couple of questions and the sales rep answered them right away. I was satisfied with their answers. The system was easy to install and I did it myself. It worked right from the get-go. I like the system and it doesn’t use much salt. I'd recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Water Softeners?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had a lot of staining on my tiles and I did some research on cost and Discount Water Softeners is the most reasonable. Their representatives are good. I ordered bits and pieces from them over the phone. I installed them myself and it was fairly easy. Since then, the water has been much better. I’ve been happy with it.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We were getting scales in our water and we decided to contact Discount Water Softeners because of their product's features and price. I like that I take a lot of salt in just once, fill it up, then it goes a long time with that salt as it cycles through to soften the water. I don’t have to fill it up once every six months and that was one of the reasons we waited so long to get a water softener. We didn’t want something that would require us to go down there every month and fill it up with salt.

I bought the water softener system through their website and it was fairly easy. I put in what my requirements were through the search field and it gave me models that I liked to consider with the different features that I was looking for. It was a simple process and I felt confident with what I was doing and what we got. We were able to install the system ourselves and everything was fairly straightforward. I’ve been very pleased with what it’s done so far. It helped cut down scales in the bathrooms and in the dishwashers. It also cut back on the amount of soap that we use in cleaning our clothes for the laundry. Plus, there's no negative impact on the electrical and water bills. It’s a good value for the money and a reliable product. We enjoy it and we wish Discount Water will keep up the good work.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Our old water softener system went bad so I got on Discount Water Softeners' website, saw which ones they had, looked that the specs, knew which one we needed and ordered it. I love the unit that we got and it's much more efficient than the one I replaced it with. The quality of the product was excellent and their reps were very easy to work with. I'd use Discount Water Softeners again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We had a water softener system when we first moved here but then it died. We stopped using one for a while but we realized that we really needed it so we got the Genesis Premiere 32000 Grain Water from Discount Water Softeners as a replacement. My husband did a lot of research so he must have felt the cost was good. It seems to be a good fit and it’s working great so we’re happy. Even in washing our dishes, there's a huge difference. We were having problems with the dishwasher always clogging up and getting all gunky but we don’t have that problem anymore. It has been a positive experience with Discount Water Softeners.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had hard water deposits. I bought the Genesis system through the Discount Water Softeners website and I installed the system myself. The website has a link that shows videos on how to install it on YouTube. They also have a contact number to ask questions and be able to talk to a real and experienced person in the business. I called and the rep was friendly, helpful and informative. The system is of good quality. It removes the minerals from the water and softens it. I recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I’m in the purified water business so I’m very familiar with water systems. Discount’s prices are good and they also carry Genesis, the brand that I wanted to go with. I worked online but I had a unique challenge and I was trying to get special fittings because my situation was physically very limited and the standard header would not work. But I figured it out and Discount got me some extra parts I needed to make my solution work. I was really impressed with the rep I worked with. She was very sharp, knew her stuff, was honest and upfront. I believe it was the owner I may have dealt with as well. I had a very good experience with her. It was challenging. There were some things that they had no control over that needed to be done with the product itself but as far as them dealing with it, they did a good job. I refer people to Discount Water Softeners now.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My previous water softener finally went kaput and we went about a year without one. My son did a lot of investigating online. And for what Discount Water Softeners got, it seemed to be a cheaper price. I called a water softener guy to come out and install the system for me, and evidently, it was fairly easy because they did it about an hour. With the new water softener, it makes a lot of difference in the water, especially in this area. My son takes care of it for me. He says it takes less water filter pellets., and he seems a bit pleased with it. It stopped working at one point, but we found out it had gotten unplugged. It's out in the garage and it had gotten unplugged. It wasn't a fault of the water softener, but it took a couple of days for it to get started again and recycle.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My water softener system failed and it had to be replaced versus calling the company to put the original one in, which was excessively expensive. I then started my research on the internet. Discount Water Softeners' price was a considerable driving factor, but on top of that, I looked at the different systems that were out there and did the best research I could and Discount's product sounded like a good system that would serve my needs with the iron problems.

I purchased the system online but I talked to a young lady consultant before I made my final decision in order to determine what I needed to buy as far as the product goes. She seemed to be very knowledgeable and has a good enough consulting piece. I also called some other companies and talked to people that actually put them in to know a little bit more about it. The system that I got is better than my old system which was 20 years old. I installed the system and it was easy, and it's working great. It also uses far less salt than the old system. I have control over the process, and the phone support with the company has been great with any questions I've had. I'm exceptionally happy with it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

My water was hard and had a little bit of iron so I wanted to take that out. Initially, I bought one from another outlet for $1,700 but when I called those people back, they changed the sales representative and I could not make any deal with them. I tried Discount Water Softeners and got the Fleck 4600. My son previously ordered the same unit and he was happy with it so I knew what model I wanted when I ordered from them. They were also a little bit cheaper than anybody else.

When I called up and talked to the actual person at Discount, I could not figure out if it was a woman or a man I was talking to and I felt that he or she was a little short with me both times I called. So I wasn’t particularly happy with that. Then, when I called them up about the delivery, they said that there was going to be a slight delay. But the tank came in about two days so I called them up and told them about it. I asked if there were any instructions with it but they said it's already pre-set and that I shouldn't need an instruction. So, the instructions could be a little better and the customer service is a bit lacking. But they got the unit to me pretty quick, it works like they say it would, and it was worth what I paid for.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I replaced our existing system with a whole house water softener from the Discount Water Softeners’ website. I researched at their site and other competitive websites, but theirs had a substantial amount of beneficial information. Also, after the sale, I spoke with their salesperson and she was very helpful. We've had the system since February and it's very good so far. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I had a water softening system but I didn't like it. And I wanted to get one to use less salt and that could give better quality water. When I was at a home show at Freedom Homes, I talked to a guy at Discount Water Softeners' booth. He had a good product and I said I would take it. It was ordered over the phone and I got a fair price for it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I went to Discount Water Softeners' website and I ended up talking to a rep. They instructed me how to do everything. They selected the light water softener. I went through a whole questionnaire and I answered a lot of their questions. And so, they directed me to the Genesis Revolution. They were very knowledgeable about the product and I had a great experience with them. They sent me in the right direction as far as the Genesis Revolution. I love it. It's been very reliable and I have no complaints so far.

I have a lot of hard water and the levels are pretty high so I needed the water softener system. I needed more samples to test my hard water because it was borderline and I haven't tested it in a while. I wanted to see if it's holding or if it's off a little bit but the results are much better now with the Discount Water Softeners installed. When my wife does the wash, cleaning the clothes is better now, and the dishwasher is working better too. So, it is helping out in all the way around.

I did the installation back on February 17 and they also have short videos on how to install, which was good. It was an easy setup. It wasn't complicated and everything went smooth. I'm very happy with it. When I did the installation, I put the pack from Discount Water Softeners where they have all the information right on the wall. So, when I talk about it, I got all the information here that I can tell other people.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

All the waters were hard so we got a Genesis from Discount Water Softeners. I purchased it through their website and I liked that I could compare the different models there. The quality of the system was very good and cost was average. But UPS had messed up the delivery. So I got in touch with Discount Water through email and they responded quickly. But I was not impressed with them since they were somewhat rude in their response.

UPS shipped it to Tampa and they were sending it back to the company. The explanation I got from UPS was that Discount Water Softeners did not pay for the separate shipping. So I contacted Discount and they said it was UPS' fault. That's where all the confusion came in. But the water is a lot better with the system and it's not near as hard on the faucets. Their customer service could have been friendlier but I would probably buy from Discount Water Softeners again and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Texas has hard water, and I had a water softener from the original purchase of the house. I knew that the water was shot so I started looking for solutions on the internet. I talked with their sales consultant and they made it easy for me to understand and to deal with. After dealing with them, I understood exactly how it works and what I need. I then bought Discount Water's Genesis Premier system. It's a water softener system with a separate canister for the salt. It was the best cost I found anywhere. When I had a question, I called them, they showed me through their video on the website and I solved the issue myself. Buying a Discount Water Softeners has been the best experience I had and I am extremely satisfied with it.

Discount Water Softeners response

Learning about the ins and outs of hard water and water softeners can be difficult so we're happy that our customer service was able to help! Thank you so much for your feedback, Felipe!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I got Discount Water Softeners to replace my old water softener that quit working. We bought it through their website and the pricing was comparable to what I could find in other places. It is easier to service and it uses less salt. I'd tell a friend that it's a good place to purchase water softeners from.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I have hard water and so I bought a water softener. Discount did everything they said they would do, shipped everything out quickly, and kept me informed of what was going on. However, now the water softener doesn’t seem to soften the water as much as I thought it would and it leaves a funny taste. I’ve spoken with the Discount reps several times and they would just tell us to taste-test our water again. They said we're going to get a little salty taste, but it is metallic. They didn't try to help me out with anything. I finally got fed up with it and figured I’ll have to live with it until I can get it replaced with something else.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

The water at my son's house was very hard. He and his wife waited a little too long and it was ruining their dishes and dishwasher so I called Discount Water Softeners. I wanted more details and I talked to a very nice rep who guided me in the right direction. She's very intelligent and I enjoyed talking to her. The problem is now solved and my son told me 20 times how well the softener is working. My son and I are happy.

Discount Water Softeners response

You're a great parent Dennis! Thank you for going to us for a water softener and we are glad that your son and his wife now have soft water! If you or your son have any questions or concerns, let us know and we'd be happy to assist!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I purchased a Discount filter through their website six months ago. It’s a good filter.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you for your purchase, Jeff!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We're up in Gladwin where we got our water tested and had 31 hardeners. The 32,000 Genesis Spring we got from Discount Water Softeners took it down to seven hardeners so it's doing something. But our water's still hard and with our situation, we might need a little more. The rep said we could get our interference from other things, but we don't have the money to spend on that. We're happy with their product though. We bought it over the phone and the rep we talked to was great. She also answered a lot of questions. We would recommend them to anybody.

Discount Water Softeners response

We're sorry to hear that you still have some hard water issues. If there is still anything else we can do in the future, please let us know. And thank you for still recommending us!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I got well water and my water softener system was 20 years old and I wanted to upgrade it and get a more efficient one. So, I got Genesis from Discount Water Softeners via their website. Their website was good and everything was helpful. It was great for instructions on how to hook it all up and I did it myself. They sent me a booklet and everything was perfectly clear to me. I haven't had it for years but I use probably about a quarter of the salt that I used to use, so I'm saving money every month. I love their product and it's worth it and I've told people about it. Overall, it's a very pleasant purchase.

Discount Water Softeners response

Congratulations on setting up your new Genesis water softener Jed! We love hearing that! Thank you so much for your purchase and your review.

And thank you for the recommendation. If you have any questions, we're available!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We have extremely hard water in the town I live in. I went online and talked to somebody from Discount Water Softeners. I never had a water softener before. And if I understood water softeners better, the information I got would've been easy to understand. But I had a good experience with them. I purchased a Genesis water softener and it seems to be working okay and the water is softer than it was before.

Discount Water Softeners response

All the terms can get a bit complicated, why try to give clear information whenever we speak with customers. We're happy to hear that the water softener is working and your water is softer now! Thank you, Mark, for your review!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

We had hard water. I purchased my Discount Water Softener product on their website, but I had to call to find out exactly what size that I needed. Customer service was polite and very helpful and got me the information I needed quickly. Delivery was fast. I have not installed it yet. It’s just sitting in my house. I still have to take care of doing it, but so far, I would recommend them.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you John for ordering a water softener! We're happy to hear customer service was able to help you find the right softener. Thank you for the recommendation as well!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Our water is pretty hard and I've done some remodeling on the house and I have to run the new water line underneath the house from the front to the back in order to install the upgraded full house system I got from Discount Water Softeners. I've done a bunch of research and their product turned out to be what I needed and the right price. I like their product.

Discount Water Softeners response

We are happy that we are the right choice for your newly remodeled house. Thank you for the review, Roger.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I buy and flip houses and I have installed about eight Discount Water Softeners systems. We have some iron in our water in the region where we live and we also have fairly hard water. I purchase Discount Water Softeners online and their website is awesome. One thing I wish they had was a person one could ask questions to live on their website. If Discount Water Softener has any issues at all, it is they're hard to communicate with. If I try to contact their sales consultants via phone, I’d end up playing phone tag. I have done it on email too and it didn't go really well. But when I was able to speak with the consultants, they tried to be as helpful as possible. They’re so secure in their product that they talk over the head a little. But they get the issues.

I’ve installed Quark and Fleck systems in the past but I transferred over to the Genesis product because I rent some out of my projects and I wanted to save costs in the long run. But, I have mixed feelings with Genesis because I have one in my house and it is not functioning up to the old Quark or Fleck system. I cannot get the water soft enough. The Genesis water softener was easy to install and program though. Overall, Discount Water Softeners had been convenient for me. I had a good experience with them and I would recommend them.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your feedback and business! We're glad that you find the website awesome after the redesign! We are sorry that we played phone tag. A live chat feature is something we are looking into for the website for better and more communication options.

If you are still having issues with softness levels, let us know and we will try to find out what can be done! Thank you for your recommendation, Alex!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I've had a good experience with Discount Water Softeners. I built a new home so I needed a water softener. I bought the softener online on their fine website and the process wasn't the easiest but it was all right. The research was a difficult though because they had so many products. But I called the hotline for Discount Water Softeners and they kind of helped me out with that based on my needs. I got a twin tank, the 24,000 grain, from them. I installed the water softener myself, but I wish they had a better instructional video on installing all the products and not just a generic product. I didn't see anything like either YouTube or a clip where it had the twin tanks but I saw a lot of the single tank installations through the website.

The biggest issue was the sensor though as I forgot to put it in. I didn't know where it went and I couldn't find it in the directions or on the clips. I called up Discount Water Softeners and they told me about the sensor. They shipped out the missing part the next day. I've had the water softener for four months now, and so far, so good. It's better than the other ones that I've researched. It's a good product and a good choice.

Discount Water Softeners response

Thank you Pashko for your feedback. Hopefully, the process is easier now with the new website. We are also in the works to make the researching process and finding the best water softener easier! We will take into account your suggestion for a next video.

We're happy that the sensor issue was able to be resolved and you're enjoying your soft water!

Discount Water Softeners Company Information