It's that easy Request Information
4.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Have you been interested in installing a water softener system? Discount Water Softeners offers a variety of softeners in order to help you find one that best fits your needs. Not only do we offer a variety of water softeners, but we also have a selection of filtration and reverse osmosis systems, UV lights, water testing kits, and more. Whatever your need might be, Discount Water Softeners guarantees quality products. Visit our website today for specials and order your products today!

A-BBB Rating
View More View More

158 Discount Water Softeners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I was having some problems with hard water and the range on hardness was pretty bad. It was leaving some water spots on the dishes and glass. I got an upflow system through Discount Water Softeners and I was hoping that I would save some money on salt. Everything went alright, except that it was hard to get a hold of the guy I was dealing with. I was trying to communicate back and forth with text messages and email. I had a little problem at first since we had a lot of storms come through here when I put the system in, and I don't know if lightning got it or what it was, but I had some difficulty with it. They seemed to try to help me out with it, and sent me a circuit board, but the circuit board they sent me was wrong. They had to reorder.

Finally, they sent me a whole control head, and I put that on there and I haven't had any problems since. I had been waiting on them to send me a return authorization. I thought they might want the old unit head or the control back but I never did get a return number on it. At this time, the system seems to be functioning all right.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

If you need a properly-sized water softener, give Discount Water Softeners a try. They are knowledgeable about their products and I had a good experience dealing with them. They were good people. My old water softener at my rental property had worn out. It was junk and I needed one with larger capacity because the people moving in have four kids. It didn't take me long to figure out what I needed since I had some water testing done and I was able to figure out there's hardness in our well water. I was able to give the Discount reps the iron content in the water, how many people are gonna be in the home and how many bathrooms it has. They were able to come up with a system that worked for me.

I was able to install the product, which came along well boxed. The nice thing about Discount is that they have some videos on their website on how to install it so it was not a very hard process. I was able to follow along. Then they give you set parameters, as well as how to start it up. It's an easy machine once you looked at the videos. It looks like the softener is working well.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have very hard water in our town, coming into our house and had installed a water softener about 20 years ago. That one was what needed to be replaced so I got the new water softener from Discount Water Softeners. I had to research and determine which one I wanted. I stayed with the same company-making model that I had in the past that was highly-rated, based on some of the reviews I saw. I upgraded the one that would automatically recycle a cleaning only when it was needed, rather than a fix number of days.

When I determined which one I wanted, I zeroed on it based on price and size. It was also recommended by the manufacturer of the unit. They had some very good people in customer service who are very helpful. With a little help from the manufacturer, installation was relatively easy using what they call SharkBite fittings. There was a lot of heavy-duty plumbing to do. To remove the old one and install the new one, took a couple of hours. I’m very satisfied with Discount Water. They’re very high-quality based on what I’ve read and based on my experience so far. We’re happy. Since the installation the glass on the shower has less hard water marks on it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased an income property and it did not have a water softener system. The property is located in a place where there is very hard water. The dishwasher and the washing machine didn't work. All the aerators were covered with lime and calcium. I was putting in new appliances and decided to put the water softener to make sure they would work well. I purchased the Genesis Premier UpFlow from Discount Water Softeners. Their website has pretty good comparisons and I have purchased four water softeners off their website at different times.

The quality of their items is very high. They work very well and are relatively easy to install. The instructions were straightforward and easy to follow. There were no parts missing, they were well put together, and well-packaged. It's been about six months since the latest one was installed and everything seems to be operating fine and there's no evidence of hard water damage.

My overall experience was good. It gave me the confidence in what I was purchasing and confidence to recommend what I was purchasing in the website to other people. I have recommended Discount Water Softeners to a few people who were looking for or have looked for them. I have neighbors who have used the site and purchased water softeners as a result. I tell others to figure out what they need and the website can help them do that. Some of the assumptions on water use are a little bit outdated. Go explore it and when you pick one, buy one from them. They have quality items at reasonable prices. I'm probably gonna be looking them up again within the next year or so to buy another water softener for a different property. I don't intend to even look anywhere else unless they drastically change their product line or dramatically change their prices relative to other vendors.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

The house I bought had a water softener system but I had to keep resetting the computer board as the system was probably 16 years old. There are softeners that are a lot more energy efficient, so I didn't want to battle with the old one. I purchased my new water softener right through Discount on the internet and the ordering process was fine. The Discount water softener seems to get rid of the iron real good. I know softeners don’t get rid of iron, but the Discount water softener gets rid quite a bit of it so I’m really happy about it. The only trouble I had wasn’t really the softener’s fault. It’s just that there was too much salt in the bridge, so I had to flake the bridge in the tank and it has been working fine now.

I’d tell my friends to go ahead and purchase a Discount water softener. The main reason I did was because one of the reviews or advertisements they had said, "No questions asked." I studied it for a couple of months before I decided to go with them. Although the softener I got had a seven or 10-year guarantee, I worry more about the powerhead more than anything in it. So if the softener lasts that long then I’m pretty happy with it because I don’t see anything else going wrong except for the powerhead on the softener. I know a lot of water softeners don’t have that long of a guarantee. So for the extra money, I get with Discount some things that I like as their softener would operate a bit different than the other softeners where the water went off. Also, the Discount water softener saves on salt that I don’t use as it kinda regenerates it a bit.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your review. We're happy to hear that your water softener is working to remove even the extra iron in your water!

If anything ever happens with the powerhead, don't hesitate to let us know. We'll look into what we can do to satisfy you! Thank you for recommending us and we're happy to also hear that you're seeing the salt savings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discount Water Softeners?

Original review: June 21, 2019

I just placed one order from Discount Water Softeners and the experience was excellent. I found them by the website, but I called to place the order because I had some additional questions. They have excellent response. In the price range in what I was looking for to use, they were the most economical.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had a water softener system which was 18 years old and it wasn’t working very well, so I needed to change. The neighbor across the way got one from Discount Water Softener and he was happy with it. I talked to him and he has had his water softener for about two months. He said that if I was considering Discount Water Softener, he got an email. There was a kind of a sale of 30% discount. It was a fair price. I looked at it on the website and I started ordering it there. I had a question on the size of the connector, the ¾ versus a 1-inch, and I wasn’t 100% sure, so I called. The guy was able to help me out and I ended up doing it through him. If I would've understood that, I would've probably just done it online. The quality of the softener is good and I’m totally satisfied.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I received my product via UPS on 5/09/19. The boxes looked pretty beat-up, though nothing damaged. This review is solely to point out that these people do not answer their phones. If you have a problem or a question, leave a message or send an email and they’ll get back to you. This method of providing, “Customer Service” is absurd. Moreover, the videos available on YouTube offered by Discount Water Softeners are lame. When someone spends over a grand on your product, have someone available to answer questions... This is too much to expect from them. You are totally on-your-own! Sure hope this system holds up.

Doug **

Phoenix AZ

Discount Water Softeners response

Doug, Thank you for your review. I have been monitoring your emails up and back the last few days with Bill and see that he got you answers to your questions about how much water should be in the brine tank. Glad he could assist you. I am sorry that we were assisting other customers when you called. We also show you called on Sunday and did not leave a message. We are not available on Sundays for customer support. Feel free to contact us again if you still need assistance.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I'm not sure why a company would think it's okay to provide email technical support only, it's not okay! IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO TALK TO A LIVE VOICE DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY! The product was probably ok. Their instructions are lacking. They show a hardness adjustment on a picture in the manual, but there is no explanation of how it works. I wanted to clarify that and a few other things. (I had already spent hours researching it, going through their YouTube Videos and troubleshooting on my own.)

I left a voice message yesterday and didn't get a response so I emailed them this morning, explained the problem and asked them to call. I promptly got an email back from Bill! The person who responded didn't fully read the email and asked a question I had already addressed. Turns out my well pump is too low in the well and has pumped clay into our softener system. I spent 1 1-/2 days figuring this out, no thanks to them. This has rendered the softener I bought from them useless and has to be replaced. I will never buy from them again. Order #**.

Mark,

I do apologize that you did not receive the type of support you requested. We do provide email and phone support and we use both to assist our customers. If more lengthy information is needed or video links need to be sent we do use email to help better explain or show items for support purposes. I know Bill did email with you to help and do apologize if you only wanted a phone call. The image you included was produced by the manufacturer and does show a description of its function. If you need more in depth information we can send along a video on how the bypass operates if you are willing to accept a video link in an email. I am very sorry Bill asked an additional question that you had already answered. I know he likes to be thorough with his support. It does sound like the issues with your well pump are very problematic and would cause any water softener or iron filter to have problems. If there is anything else we can do to assist moving forward, please do lets us know. Feel free to call or email.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Updated on 05/10/2019: I’m confused as to what you represent as not accurate. I have researched correspondence from Discount Water Softeners and I can share with you that in no instance was I ever advised the unit required regular routine maintenance. I did locate not one but two messages where I was advised the unit would be very satisfactory for removing high levels of iron. Of course, now I am being told another story. I’m obviously getting the run around and the topic continues to change as you seek to blame me or my equipment.

Also, in June 2018 I sent an e-mail message to your support e-mail requesting assistance and my message was acknowledged advising it was being investigated and you would provide a response. Apparently it is still being investigated because I never received a response. As far as your advertised warranty, there is none. You state the warranty is void if it is determined the water caused the problem (which will no doubt be the decision whether or not it is true). I would like to have the head of the equipment evaluated but cannot justify the shipping expense knowing the response will be “it is some other problem other than the equipment”. If a conditioner is purchased for the purpose of removing chemical and iron, why would water cause the conditioner to fail?

Your warranty is interpreted so that it never covers your product because you can always indicate it is water or something else and therefore not covered by warranty which is exactly the case with Discount Water Softeners. Discount indicates they need approval from the manufacture on warranty items and it appears Discount owns or has a majority interest in the Genesis brand of equipment so they control decisions on warranties.

I’m near the end of my rope with this matter and do not see any cooperation from Discount Water Softeners for a satisfactory resolution. Since you continue to point fingers at different causes, it only complicates matters and tells me you really are not seeking a resolution. I am still interested in determining why I did not receive the water conditioner that was specified and/or why Discount substituted for their brand of equipment.

Updated on 04/29/2019: I am appalled at the response from Discount Water Softeners. The facts have been twisted and are not factual. Hydrotech did not refer me to Discount Water Softeners with reference to purchasing the Genesis system. I had never heard of Genesis until I noted the unit I received from Discount and had installed was a Genesis brand. The fact is I was working with Canature Water Group who referenced the Hydrotech system their Model #BIF-100, Part#15550912 and provided the complete specs which I relayed to Discount Water Softeners for purchase. The Hydrotech system is designed to remove up to 30 ppm and per tests performed on my water by the State of Wisconsin the iron content in my water is 9 ppm.

Since you indicated the Genesis brand will fail with high iron content I am assuming the Genesis conditioner does not remove iron content of 10 ppm. Also, let me assure you any equipment I have that requires routine maintenance receives my complete attention and I am very conscious of making certain everything is maintained as required. The water conditioning system was supposed to require limited maintenance because it utilizes air to remove minerals; Apparently not a fact based on the comments. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with this Genesis system other than remove it and replace with a more reliable water conditioning system.

I was advised I could contact Discount for support and assistance which I did this past summer of 2018 on numerous occasions and received no response. In fact, there has been no response or acknowledgement of my most recent letter that was mailed 6-weeks ago. When calling Discount by phone I never received a live person but instead receive a recording to leave a message. I assume this business practice provides for filtering out anyone they do not want to call back. One of my last messages to Discount this past summer was that it was going to be necessary to abandon my home if we could not resolve the issue with the Water Conditioner.

Still I received no response and did in fact abandon the house late last summer until I could further research and determine what type of conditioner I should purchase and have installed to resolve my water issue. While I am very receptive to working with Discount Water Conditioners to resolve my problem, I am also determined not to spend more money on the system after having 5 water professionals review the system at the suggestion of Discount Water Softeners. None of the individuals who reviewed the system and my situation would touch the Genesis unit because they know nothing about the system and were alarmed that it has not functioned properly.

While I could initiate court action to obtain relief from the losses in equipment (water heater, dishwasher, bathroom fixtures, etc) that have been negatively impacted by the water as well as the expense of the conditioner I don’t believe this action would be a wise choice of resources even if I won the case which appears to be strong. Instead I am compelled to replace the Genesis system which failed suddenly and quickly. Furthermore, I have now been advised by Discount the system requires substantial continued maintenance. Interesting enough, all of the homes in our community have water conditioners and after sharing my experience at an annual meeting none of them reported encountering problems with their systems.

Because of my experience I am concerned with the lack of customer service from Discount Water Softeners as well as the reliability of their equipment. The fact my requests to Discount have been ignored and the fact I was advised the equipment was not under warranty for performance prompted my decision. If the equipment does not perform for any reason, it seems the warranty would apply and Discount would want to know the reason.

Original Review: We purchased a water conditioner to remove iron and manganese. After much research with a very reliable manufacturer, they recommended a system with a Fleck water conditioning head and also suggested we order from Discount Water Softeners. We ordered from Discount Water Softeners and hired a professional contractor to install the unit. The unit originally functioned but later malfunctioned and stopped operating. At the time of the install I did not notice the unit was not a Fleck head as ordered but Discount had instead substituted and shipped one of their cheaper Genesis units. Efforts to get a resolution to the issue of the malfunctioning unit have been unsuccessful. I was told the water caused the unit to malfunction and they did not warranty performance.

Really, what do they warranty???? They refused to accept a return of the unit so they could test to determine the problem. I submitted photos and facts to Discount and they had no resolution. Most recently, I have called again several times and never get a live person and no one returns my calls. I resorted to submitting a letter requesting assistance and again no response. I have also noted they no longer offer the system they sold me which is probably an indication it is an unreliable system. This is by far one of the very worst companies I have ever had to deal with. Their only focus is sale, they ship whatever they want to get rid of their inventory with no regard for the actual item specified on the order.

The Genesis system as well as the Discount Water Softeners are both bad, very unreliable and unresponsive. It appears they only have sales people, no technicians or responsible customer service personnel. If you decide to order from this company (Discount Water Softeners, Inc.) be prepared to deal with the least respectful, least attentive, least helpful and most arrogant people.

Laverne,

As previously stated, we can repair the control valve if you need us to. Just to let you know HydroTech is Canature. They are one in the same company. As far as the Genesis name, Hydrotech (same as Canature) does not allow their name on the product on the internet. Nothing twisted or not factual. Feel free to confirm with Hydrotech (Canature). As for responses to your emails, we show responses to your emails back in August 2018 indicating that it was recommended that the annual service be performed on the system as recommended in the manufacturer manual. Feel free to share what servicing has been done to it and we can let the manufacturer know and they can suggest how to further assist. as for the system being under warranty, it is still under warranty. We will once again offer to inspect the control valve if you want to send it to us. If any of the parts failed due to manufacturer defect, we will be happy to replace the part at no charge for that part. The warranty covers parts. It is not a performance warranty. No different than your neighbors systems, oxidizing iron needs to be done with an oxidizer such as air or a chemical. If the system can’t draw in air properly then the system will not work and eventually fail. If the maintenance was not done and the system fails as a result, it is not a warranty covered issue. We again wish to assist but we need to know what maintenance was done in the past 4 years and we would need to get the control valve here to inspect for you. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Up until this point, we have been very happy with the Genesis softener we bought from Discount Water Softeners, less than 2 years ago. We have well water and really need the softener. My husband realized the valve assembly was leaking, and estimate it was doing so for about 24 hours. It has been about 10 days and communications have been very spotty. Just as we think we are making possible headway, their Support email box is FULL and not accepting messages. And again, no one is returning voicemail messages again.

We were going to try and contact the softener manufacturer directly, only to learn on the interwebs, "The actual manufacturer remains unknown, however, due to proprietary reasons." What does that mean?!? Apparently, "Discount Water Softeners, Inc." is the only company that’s currently selling Genesis softeners (the seller also handles all warranty issues). We are starting to worry that we are going to be left holding the bag on this one and will have to shell out the money all over again.

Norma,

We have now responded multiple times via email requesting pictures of the source of the leak. Please e-mail us the picture so we can assist right away. Please be sure you are emailing the correct address above. Our support email is functioning and the mailbox is not full.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Updated on 02/20/2019: I have yet to get a call or email from this company and got lucky to get an operator yesterday after two attempts to contact. I guess this is the only way they will correspond with me so I’m writing this. I was given a number to call the manufacturer of the control valve. I talked to a guy named Murray and he basically said I had to take the control head apart and order a seal and spacer kit to rebuild it! I asked if he would replace the unit and he said no. I’m not sure why Discount Water Softeners Inc is referring me to their manufacturer of a product they sell.

Supposedly there is a 7 year warranty on the control valve yet they want me to rebuild it myself which would probably void any remaining warranty if I did. I’m disappointed in the runaround I’m getting. I just want a new control valve sent to me that works for more than a year. It should be your responsibility not mine to get your manufacturer to back its products and right a wrong. Contact me somehow. If I hear nothing soon I will be contacting and filing a complaint with the attorney general's office.

Original Review: I purchased a Genesis Katalox backwashing and iron filter from discount water softeners website on 6/4/17. I received my tank and head in decent condition, plumbed everything to spec, and ran a manual backwash. To my dismay I found the control unit would not advance to the rinse cycle and could hear the plastic gears slipping and popping. I informed them of the problem and was told to send it back for a replacement. I received the new head and installed it and didn’t have any issues with it until about a month or two ago.

The replacement head is having the same issue as the first faulty one where it won’t advance to the rinse mode. The head is beeping and I can hear the junky plastic gears slipping and popping again! I unplug the unit and bypass it waited a couple hours and plugged it back in, it advances to the rinse mode. I have called left a voicemail and emailed the website and have yet to hear any response. I have had to get up in the middle of the night and unplug/bypass so my pump doesn’t keep running every time the unit does a regeneration. I’m getting tired of having to worry, and work on my water softener because of faulty workmanship in a product I paid good money for.

Lance,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I know that you corresponded with Beth here at our office on the 19th (yesterday) and she did provide you with manufacturer contact information to help expedite a resolution for you. We will continue to monitor this for you an ensure you have a system that is operational and continues to be reliable in the future. We do apologize for the issues you have seen.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I had a great experience with Discount Water Softeners and their system is working very well compared to the last one I had. Previously, I had a water system but it was getting old. The system from Discount Water is also convenient and I'm happy with it. The cost was great and the quality is surprisingly good for the price. I had a positive interaction with their representatives and they helped us. The installation of the new water softener was easy. Before, our water was hard and rusty. Now, I have crystal clear water.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We moved to Vermont and we have a well. And when we did the water test, the water had issues as far as pH, hardness, and some bacteria. I bought a softener and a bacteria filter from Discount. I liked that Discount didn’t string us along. Their competitors would give one price, and they tend to tell you something in email about some special and they kept on lowering their price on water softeners. Discount was a bit more of a straight shooter. Their sales consultants took a little time to get back to me, but they got back to me at some point and we had a good interaction. Since using the Discount products, the water pH is good. You can look at your silverware or your pots and pans, and there is a white film all over it when the water’s really hard. And that’s not there anymore. I can tell we have better water. And based on the test, everything is in line. So, it does work. Discount is good. They’re fairly priced. And I feel comfortable to recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I needed to get a water softener to replace the old one that I had. I compared prices and reviews, and I found that Discount Water Softeners would be a good one. I purchased a water softener through their website and I had no problems with the site. I installed the system myself, and it was easy to do. So far, the system is good.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We live in a hard water area, so we had to have a water softener. I found Discount online, and it was the cheapest. They also provided a really good complete kit, so it was a pretty easy install. Their site was good, too. However, it was kinda hard to find a video on the installation when I did the self-installation. They might make that a little bit easier to find. The product is easy to work with. We are happy with the water and it’s obviously a lot softer. It is a good value.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My water softener broke and I replaced it with a Discount Water Softener. A local plumber recommended that I buy a water softener and install it myself. I did that and it saved me a bunch of money. I have the Genesis 48,000-grain water softener. The installation was super easy and everything is working fine. I’m happy about the cost and quality.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I purchased a new head and installed it in October. I realized shortly that we did not have soft water. I was able to determine that the cause was the brine tank was not filling. I am manually able to fill the brine tank, but it will not fill on its own. I assume there is a faulty valve in the head. In the past, I have been happy with this company and have recommended them to family and friends. However, I have now tried for TWO MONTHS to contact their technical support and have not been successful. I have called multiple times (sometimes multiple times in a day), left numerous messages, etc. Their message says “all of their support personnel are currently assisting others.”

About a week ago a woman picked up, seemed surprised that I had not heard back from technical support, but again I was told that all of the support personnel were not available and that she would leave a message. I have now also emailed their technical support. I have heard nothing more. I hope that this issue can be resolved, but at this time I would not recommend this company.

Dave,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I did go back into our system to reference any correspondences since you purchased back in September 2018. I do show that you called our office twice on Christmas Eve day and we were closed. I do not see any message that was left. The other correspondence I see was earlier today at 9:15am on January 28th 2019. I do show that you did email ups and back with one of our techs within an hour and it shows you are not willing to troubleshoot the system at all so you are sending it in so that we can look at the control valve and determine if the source of the issue is the control valve or some outside factor. We will continue to support our product to make sure the system runs for you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I live in Texas and it's hard water here. I had bought softeners from Discount Water Softeners in the past and they were good, so I chose to go with them. I did everything online and it was pretty simple. Then, I did the installation myself and it was easy. I add salt for maintenance and we do it about twice a month. We’re all good with Discount and I've already recommended them.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We built a new house and I happened to look online for a water softener and found Discount Water Softeners. Their reps were really helpful. The guy I worked with walked me through the process and told me which one I needed. Also, the cost was good. I placed the order and the plumber that was doing the plumbing work for our new home did the installation for me. The system has been working great and so far, the quality has been good. It has given us better water.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

The guy who does Discount Water Softeners' sales was extremely helpful and very nice to deal with and talk to. I decided to go with them because of their sales guy. So from the sales standpoint, technical, information, and pre-sales, they do a great job. Also, I’ve noticed the difference in the water.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We had well water and my husband did the research as far as what was the best thing out there for well water and to get the right product for what we were missing or what we needed to eliminate. Then, we had the water tested and we ordered a product from Discount Water Softener to take something out of it. The first one that we had froze on the inside so, it wasn’t doing its job and so, we got another one which seems to be okay. It has helped our washing machine and our drinking water. There is no more rust in our items and there is no more lime buildup nor coloring of the water. We’ve had it for a year and it seems to have been a good experience.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

My old water softener system broke and I purchased one from Discount Water Softeners through their website. I did interact with their sales consultant and he was very good. Overall, it was a good experience. We still have clean water and Discount's quality is better than my previous one.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I had hard water and I had to replace the faucets once every six months. I went online and looked at the product line of Discount Water Softeners. The website was very appealing and easy to navigate. I called them and talked to one of the representatives. He ran through my situation and asked me to do a water hardness test which was good since he could assess and actually calculate what water specific softener size and regulation I needed to have on my softener. So, I did so and got a hold of the guy and he was very helpful. I purchased the water softener and brought it home. The instructions were great and we put it together. Everything worked out fine. It doesn’t take a lot to maintain it and it solved my problem. I had to refill the salt but the resin is still holding up and works perfectly. Everything that I programmed in it stays as it is. It operates smoothly and I would recommend it to a family member or a friend.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I bought a Genesis water softener for the whole house. The price made me go with Discount Water Softeners and I got what I asked for. Plus, the cost compared well with the quality. It seems to perform and the water is softer. I would recommend Discount Water Softeners.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Bill, my Discount Water Softeners sales rep, did a good job. He put together for me exactly what I wanted. He created a link and I ordered the system online through Discount Water Softeners' website. I replaced my existing system with a Fleck 9100 two-tank system. The follow-up service was a little difficult though. I tried to call in, but that was a joke. I emailed back and forth, but that took a day or two. Eventually, I called the manufacturer and they walked me through the steps that I needed and answered the questions I had. Still, Discount Water Softeners did a nice job. They delivered what they said they would and their system has been working well.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We built a new house and the water was hard as hell. We had to have a water softener unless we wanted to clean our pitchers, so we purchased the Discount Water Softeners Genesis 48,000 Grain system. I picked what I needed on the website, called, and asked the rep a few questions, and I bought it. They had good prices and I spent $1,400 on the system. The rep was knowledgeable as well. However, if I want technical support or if you have questions, I could never get through for help. I waited too long to the point where I just hung up. They could have better tech support. Also, when the system regenerates, it sounds like a tornado. I have to make it cycle in the middle of the night so I don't run out of saltwater in the daytime. Still, the water softer now and is not even as near as it tasted before.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I needed a water softener system to prevent the pipes from corroding and to make the laundry whiter, using less soap. I had a water softener system before then I decided to give the Genesis a try. Discount Water Softeners advertised the different method of the machine. There are two kinds of flow and this uses less water and less salt. But I don’t truly know if I’m saving water or not. My water bill doesn’t say although maybe, I’m not checking correctly. But other than that, I have no problems. I've had the system for less than a year and for maintenance, I just add up the salt. I also called them a couple of times and the representatives were very helpful.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I read the reviews on Discount Water and they seem to be good so I tried them. I purchased the Genesis system over the phone and the agent was very knowledgeable so I decided to buy it from him. He really knew what he was talking about and it’s a great unit. I’m happy with it. It uses about half the amount of salt that my old unit used, and it works fine. I paid a little more for that than I could’ve paid for the same modern replica of what I had. It was a few hundred dollars more, but this one’s a lot better. There's higher technology in it. I would tell others to use Discount Water.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The water is horrible at my house. It was leaving a white residue all over the faucets and the drains. I googled water softeners and Discount Water is what came up initially on that. Then I went in another website and got the price point of what I wanted to spend on the system. Then I made sure it was big enough to handle the number of people in my house. I purchased a full system online and had it sent to me then I watched the installation videos on YouTube. It took me about an hour and a half with the bulk of that because the drainage pipe crossed my basement. But it was easy to install.

For what I paid for, it's a decent system. It seems to be well-made and the results were good. It makes a big difference. You can tell when the water comes out when you're taking showers. I'm also not scrubbing my sink every other day now. The system has impacted our life quite well. We're also not going through as much as salt as I originally anticipated so I'm happy about that. I've even recommended Discount Water to a couple of people I work with.

Discount Water Softeners expert review by Greg Chick

Discount Water Softeners has been offering commercial and residential water treatment solutions for over 25 years. It sells, services and installs water softeners, iron filters, reverse osmosis systems, sulfur filters and more. Consumers can order products online with free shipping, as well as take advantage of multiple online sales and specials.

• Home filtration: Discount Water Softeners offers whole-house carbon filtration, pH neutralizer and clover bottleless water cooler systems. Consumers can visit their website for a full list of each systems models, complete with pricing and features.

• Water softeners: Discount Water Softeners provides multiple models of on-demand, timered, cabinet style and commercial water softeners. It includes a water softener sizing chart online to help consumers determine the correct water softener for their home based on the number of people living in the residence.

• Free water hardness test kit: Discount Water Softeners will send free water hardness testing kits for city water residents. Consumers can fill out an online form with their basic information, how many people live in the home and how many bathrooms are in the home. Discount Water Softeners includes a coupon towards the purchase of a water softener with each kit.

• Install videos and guides: For consumers installing their water treatment products themselves, Discount Water Softeners provides online installation guides and videos. To view a guide in PDF form, simply click the model number to see the installation instructions. It also includes videos for the installation of various water softeners and water filtration systems.

• Water softener warranties: All of Discount Water Softeners water softeners come with full warranties. The fiberglass tanks come with a 10-year warranty, softener valves carry a five-year warranty and brine tanks have a five-year warranty.

• Best for: consumers looking for a wide variety of water treatment systems.

Profile picture of Greg Chick
Greg Chick Water Treatment Systems Contributing Editor

Greg Chick has worked as an entrepreneur for over 40 years with a background in plumbing, irrigation, pools and water heating. He is a member of Green Plumbers USA, International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and American Society of Plumbing Engineers. Greg works to educate residential consumers about quality plumbing products.

Discount Water Softeners Company Information