2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.03/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Dan Ryan Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We just finished building our retirement home in Cedar Meadows and we've had a wonderful experience! Shane was so helpful through the whole process and we couldn't be happier with the finished product. Tim stayed on top of everything and delivered a beautiful home to us right on schedule. We would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to anyone looking for a beautiful energy efficient home! Pam & David.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have purchased a home from DRB in Cedar Meadows Subdivision, in White Post, VA. The Sales Manager, Shane has been so much help with his updates and kindness during the process. Tim, the Construction Manager has done the same. They both couldn't be any nicer or in any other position that would serve the public any better. I love the house. The people here are also very kind. I think the process from the beginning to the end has been a win win for me.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Our agent, Shane **, provided a personalized, enthusiastic and no-pressure experience which lead to our decision to relocate and build a home in Cedar Meadows. All details were carefully explained and the follow up after the project began has been the best home-buying experience we have had in 35 years and building 3 custom homes.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

We have known of Cedar meadows for several years and after selling our large house we visited Shane with Dan Ryan homes and within a week we had selected the lot, the house and within 6 months we had moved in. Shane and Tim kept us in the loop the entire time and were willing to listen and try to resolve the concerns that we had. Even texted photos of the progress.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I’ve had 6 homes, 3 custom built, I designed and did the general contracting on last one a log home. I had a wonderful experience with Josh ** project manager. He was professional and took a special interest in making the home top notch. One week after moving in a power surge blew out half the breaker box, within hours he had an electrician fix it. He made sure the construction site was clean, and all work done to my specifications, even doing things to make my home adjusted to my disability needs. I hesitated relinquishing control over to a builder as I can be quite “determined” about a quality built home.

Overall the experience was smooth, punch list was taken care of within a week. After closing he continued to check that I was satisfied with my home and the work done. The home is very energy efficient, quiet, and well thought out plan. I was actually surprised at how stress free this whole process was. I had the Parker model built in the Villas of West Georgia. I highly recommend on insisting that Will and Josh ** be your project managers. They actually listen to your concerns and take action.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I would echo what Kim from Butler said. Except we have been at this 3 months longer then her and our house is even further behind. We signed our deal in August 2019. We are currently being told September 2020 for a finish yet at the beginning we were told 6-7 months. Never did we think it would be over a year. We went through the same process of getting no response from the old project manager to eventually find they hired a new one. Nothing was done on our property from November until April. Then they got shut down for COVID. We now have a shell and roof and nothing more. No one except Michael will respond to you. Upper management doesn't give two craps about you as long as they have your deposit. Do your research and go elsewhere. Never enter a deal with them again.

Dan Ryan Builders response
      Thank you for contacting us. Our Team has spoken to you this week to discuss and address your concerns. A member of our Team will reach out to you to provide an update and answer any questions you may have.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Dan Ryan Builders are great at marketing and selling you on their home designs. As we proceeded forward, we were happy and excited. Dan Ryan Builders was good about setting up the appointments and moving quickly. We found out that there are a lot of hidden costs that is very deceiving in their marketing plan. The house plans does not include standard items such as lights, knobs for the kitchen cabinets, etc.. We added approximately 30K+ to make our supposed to be "Dream Home" complete. As time moved on the items that were promised turned out to be "Red Tape" and we had to fight to get what was marketed and promised. (8' island promised, became a 4' island...one example) Despite all the frustration, we still tried to make the best of it.

Groundbreaking day we drove across a few states again (we are not local to the area) to look at the foundation and concrete pour to find that the foundation was completely messed up and not what was discussed. The team did not have the site plan with them during the dig meeting but assured us that it will be beautiful and perfect. Exactly what we wanted and discussed. My wife and I raised the concerns again to the team, and I was asked to contact the project manager and the executive of sales. The project manager essentially stated to me over the phone "tough **, I am doing it my way" and the executive of sales BS'd with me for 45 minutes to just try and smooth it over.

I had flagged this issue to my bank to ensure that they were aware of what was going on as I was pending approval to pull out of the contract. Two days later I received a call from the bank stating that Dan Ryan Builders was trying to get a copy of my Mortgage approval letter. The bank would not release it to them without my approval, as I was not fully locked into the contract. Two days later I received an email from Dan Ryan Builders asking if I still wanted to be released from their contract. (They had another buyer.) I stated yes, and found a house for 29K cheaper, brand new, already built with ALL of the upgrades and practically the same size. This experience rapidly went from being a great experience into a nightmare. I would NEVER recommend Dan Ryan Builders to anyone.

Resolution response: May 5, 2020

Update as of 5/5

Although my story and feelings haven’t changed, we heard back from the project manager and were given a timeline for completion, and work as resumed, so we’re happy with that.

Original review: May 2, 2020

UPDATE 8/22/2020

I’m adding to my review I left here on May 2nd. We never, never, never, should have gone with this company. After talking with several other people in our plan that worked with Dan Ryan over the last year and a half, it’s the EXACT same story all around. Your home will not be built within the time frame they tell you. We are now TEN months into our 6 month build and STILL no closing date. Not only are we paying several extra months worth of rent due to their lackadaisical attitude, but school is starting and I now have to transport my children to and from school ( while trying to work it around my work schedule) for heaven knows how long because my children had to switch schools due to the move. Dan Ryan takes on more homes than they can handle and it trickles down to us consumers AND a the people we hire to do additional work after. We have had to push back painters and a deck builder last minute because we were told we’d be moving in by a certain date and then not until we ASK do we get told another tentative date. If this just happened with other home buyers on our plan within the last couple of months, we could certainly blame Covid-19, but NOT when it’s everyone from the last almost 2 years. They do nothing but screw with your lives and their word means nothing. We have lost so much money going with this builder that it’s disgusting. If we didn’t love our home so much, and the wonderful neighbors in our community, we would be backing out and telling them to shove their half built house where the son doesn’t shine. DO NOT BUILD WITH THEM. You will regret it. PS. Apparently it’s somewhere very small on the massive contract that they have up to 2 years to get you into your home. I did not find this verbiage, but someone else who dealt with them did. I think it’s time to call our attorney.

My fiancé and I decided to build a house with DRB. The sales manager Michael was and still is absolutely incredible and he’s the ONLY reason we are not asking for our money back yet. He has gone above and beyond for us and we appreciate him so much! Now for the story: We put down the 5,000 and put our homes on the market. We sold both of our homes and had our contingencies lifted in November, so it was time to build our dream home and start our lives together. We had our pre-construction meeting in November and we’re told ground breaking would be in the next week. December comes. Nothing started. Then comes January. Nothing. We contacted the project manager numerous times, never getting a response. We’d see him at the site working on other homes and he‘d say “oh we’re getting to it soon!” Then comes February. NOTHING. By this point we’re livid and have had enough.

We had already signed a 6 month lease for a temporary apartment for us and my 2 children, And we're told we could expect to move in before the end of June. So we threaten to walk and get our 5 grand back. We are told they changed project managers and this new guy is supposed to be amazing. So, we decide to hang on and give him a chance. All of February goes by and FINALLY on Feb 24th we break ground, 3 months behind. They work for 3 weeks and then boom, covid-19 hits. We had no idea what was happening. We reached out to the new project manager numerous times and never heard back. Michael the sales manager tried to find out everything he could and put up with our nuttiness more times than I could count. We felt bad constantly texting and calling to find out what’s happening, but when we’re giving them 336,000 for a house, we deserve to know what’s up.

Come May 1st the restrictions Are lifted and they are able to begin working again. We drive by our foundation only to see nothing being down, but other houses in the plan are getting worked on. We understand covid put everyone behind and that is not their fault. But what about the other 3 months we were given the run around? We have spoken with higher ups and DRB and have explained that come the end of July, we will be homeless due to our lease being up.

All DRB cares about is the bottom line. I should have done my research before going with them because had I seen all the negative reviews or talked with others in the community who had built with them, we would have walked away. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. 6 months into our build and instead of having a house or at least close to one, we have a hole in the ground with not even a basement floor. Shame on you. And shame on us for not doing our research! If something doesn’t give soon, we’ll be requesting our money back and taking it somewhere else. PS, it is May 2nd and we have YET to hear back from our project manager. It’s been months.

Original review: April 29, 2020

The sales agent will give you falls commitment that they will fix the problems. We faced these 2 problems.

1: Before the closing, master bedroom sink countertop was chipped at corner, we asked sales agent to fix it and she said "Alright!" (My mistake that I did not took that in written!) I asked them to replace the countertop and it was agreed upon verbally. After the closing, They replied saying, "We will NOT replace the countertop, instead will fix it and patch the chip!" Okay. I can lived with it but lesson learned, if you see something before closing with this builder then I would recommend to stay away.

2: The Garage door from outside painted so badly that after the outside temperature rise, it stick to the weather stripping so badly that motor can not open the door. I notified this to builder from Oct 2019, NO fix until today 04/2020! a: I have the evidence of pictures and video I showed to their warranty manager, he simply refused to fix without giving any explanation for refusal! b: I have an email reply from warranty manager from Feb 26 on which I am requesting for help, even after reminder until 04/2020. NO REPLY! c: Every time you call warranty support, their help-desk is JOKE! NO acknowledgement about the call and warranty ticket created, all you will get is false assurance that someone will call you back and even after 2 week NO one will call you back.

In short just STAY AWAY!!! from this builder if you want peace in life. If you like to followup after bad customer service, this is right builder for you. :)

Original review: April 28, 2020

Tom ** – Strabane Manor, Washington, PA. In my opinion, “Buyer beware”. In my opinion, DRB is not in business to make sure their customers are satisfied, they are in business to sell as many homes as they can to improve their bottom line. At least in my case customer satisfaction means nothing to DRB!!! When I purchased my Cambridge home, at list price, I was told that I had a year to have DRB come back in and touch up the defects in the walls, but I was told I should wait until about two weeks before the year is up to call to make sure all screw heads that were coming out would be on the surface by then.

I waited until just two weeks before my one-year anniversary was up and called. I was told by the site manager that they could not get to it for three weeks. I told the site manager that I was heading to Florida for three months and could we do it when I get back? I was told ”no problem” but when I got back there was a new site manager and when I contacted him and the warranty department, in a not so pleasant tone, I was told no because there was no exceptions and it had to fall within the one year time period.

Some of the other issues I have with DRB are: All the corbels mounted on the front of my house had to be reattached – one is still loose (see pic). Shingles on my roof were not even nailed down (see pic) DRB did not reattach shingles- and would not put them back on. My side yard is a swamp because there is not enough backfill to drain the water away from my home and the all the water from the new construction next to me drains into my yard (see pics). The last picture shows the muddy water draining from my neighbor’s yard across my driveway. Also, in my opinion, I feel that because my wife and I are getting to be in our late seventies DRB did not thinks they had to worry about taking care of our issues.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thanks for contacting us. Our Project Manager went to the neighborhood & addressed the issues on the silt fencing next to your home. We checked our warranty records & didn’t find anything outstanding. However, our Director of Production has contacted you about exterior items & our Warranty Manager will contact you in the next 48 hours about any warranty items. Please keep in mind that we won’t be able to enter your home until the State lifts the Covid-19 mandates. Thanks again & stay safe.

Dan Ryan Builders author review by Joseph Truini

Dan Ryan Builders is a privately owned, locally focused homebuilder that operates on the East Coast of the United States. It has been building homes for 25 years. Dan Ryan builds homes in six states: Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.​

• Provides energy-efficient homes: Buyers can purchase homes that save money by conserving energy and reducing the home’s carbon footprint.

• Realtor-friendly builder: Prospective homebuyers can bring their own real estate agent to consultations and negotiations.

• Consultants available: If you don’t have a real estate agent, you can consult with an agent provided by Dan Ryan Builders.

• Hardhat tours available: Prospective homebuyers can tour homes under construction to get a first-hand look at the quality, features and style that they can expect in their own home.

• Homes can be built quickly: Homebuyers can move in within three to five months of ordering their homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Dan Ryan Builders questions and answers

What problem is Dan Ryan Builders trying to solve?
      Dan Ryan Builders provides energy efficient, well appointed, solidly constructed new homes in the best locations.
      What sets Dan Ryan Builders apart from the competition?
      We are a Top 25 Private Homebuilder and #39 on the Builder 100 list. Being privately held, we report to our customers and not Wall Street.
      What needs does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill, and how does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill those needs better than the competition?
      Dan Ryan Builders’ mission statement revolves around “Better Value, Better Living.” This means the best built homes, in the right locations, with the right included features at an affordable price. We use the best materials available such as Typar House Wrap, Weyerhaeuser Gold Sub-Flooring, we have 2x6 framed exterior walls and modern home designs.
      How does Dan Ryan Builders measure success?
      By our customer’s level of happiness. Currently 94% of our customers would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to a family member or friend.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dan Ryan Builders?
      That Value means lowest price. Value means the right combination of location, price, design and quality.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 years?
      The past five years, Dan Ryan Builders has grown organically while other builders have grown through acquisition or unfortunately, gone out of business. We believe that this is because Dan Ryan Builders cares a bit more about the customer experience, ensures a quality built home and has great locations and designs.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dan Ryan Builders?
      We are so confident in our quality of construction that we pay a 3rd party to quality inspect every Dan Ryan Builders home.
      Has Dan Ryan Builders received any rewards or recognition for its services that your customers would like to know about?
      We have received numerous awards for our home designs, quality of employees and philanthropic efforts. However, we have received the prestigious, “Builder of Integrity” award consecutively 2008-2014. This award is given to a select few builders based off a low number of dissatisfied customers and how the instance is handled quickly.
      How has Dan Ryan Builders grown?
      We’ve grown from building pre-dominantly in the Washington DC area to now building in 6 states: PA, MD, VA, VA, NC & SC and 10 markets. We additionally have added an extensive line up of Estate Homes and Single Level Living homes to our portfolio.

Dan Ryan Builders Company Information