Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
2.00/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

31 Dan Ryan Builders Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

They use a Bait and Switch tactic when purchasing your home. They send you to a design center, which tries to sell you on upgrades at insane cost. The worse thing is, the quality is still poor even if you upgrade. They pushed for us to close on time, in agreement (which was signed by their representative) that items would be fixed after close. The project manager quit prior to any work completed months later. A new project manager took over, which promised us, even met at our house several times to schedule the needed repairs. We stayed at home from work on two different days, no one showed up.

The manager called to try and persuade me the things were not a big deal and asked me to fill out a good survey for them and they would promise to come out to fix the issues. This was almost 6 months after we moved in. No one showed up and never contacted me again. The issues that are still outstanding: Brand new bathtub was rust stained when moved in. Transition doorstep from hallway to garage crumbled and is a trip hazard. Garage door dented and not replaced. Shower surround had chunks taken out of the plexiglass and huge scratches. Paint quality is terrible, Sheetrock finishing was terrible. Wrong LVT flooring color installed. Windows are not square - project manager suggest that I put curtains over them.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders Warranty department is in process of working with this customer.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2019

I have concluded that Dan Ryan Builders has chosen to ignore me and my multiple requests for close-out and refund of my earnest money deposits totaling $7,600. Their preferred lender botched my loan documents, messed up my credit, and in the end, I have no home and am out $7,600. For weeks, I was ignored by the division office, only to speak with division VP and hear him attempt to pacify me, never listening to a word I said, but still deny my request for refund. All of the other reviews are correct. They treat you like royalty until something breaks or doesn't go as expected. Then you can't reach anyone for anything. The opposite of what a first-time homebuyer expects to experience when making the biggest purchase of their lives.

Dan Ryan Builders response

The above review does not reflect that the matter has since been resolved with the customer.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

I purchased my new home (Canterbury Woods Homes) in October 2018. They do not respond to items that need to be fixed, just say they'll do it and then don't do anything. They don't answer calls or respond to messages left. The painting, caulking, sanding was done in a quick, sloppy manner. No quality control. Many, many items need to be repaired and they do absolutely nothing about it.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders is looking into this situation to see what needs to be done.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We would NOT recommend Dan Ryan Builders to anyone building a new home. This has been an awful experience. We were pressured by the sales team to close before the end of the year, threatening to lose the home if we didn’t, as well as lost a $5,000 incentive. Little did we know, losing the home would have been a blessing. The home was not completed by closing, we have now been in the house just short of 30 days and the items missing at closing are still missing. After closing, 4 days in, we had plumbing issues. They said they forgot to remove a plug, they came to remove the plug on Monday and by Thursday morning the ceiling of the garage was falling down.

Dan Ryan refuses to cover the damage, saying it was not their fault. This has been a nightmare, and reaching out to everyone from Dan Ryan to his VPs has resulted in no resolution. Not even a response to most of our requests for assistance. We will NEVER buy a Dan Ryan home again and anyone who asks, we make sure to tell them to stay FAR AWAY from Dan Ryan Home Builders. The quality of the home is horrendous. They should not be allowed to sell homes like this, people spend hard-earned money on a home they want to love. This home needs a lot of work to be loved.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders had a plumber investigate the leak which was actually a clog caused by paper products. Our correspondence is that the customer wanted to close early. All warrantable items in this home were repaired and signed off. We are disappointed they had such a poor experience; however, do not feel that a 1 star rating was deserved.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My husband and I are first time homeowners, and we built our house with our own money. We were informed by Dan Ryan Builders that the house would need time to settle and that there were things that would need to be fixed once the house settled. We were instructed that we had one year from the date we moved in to submit all of our issues to the warranty company, and they would be corrected. Our list was rather large and lengthy because the home construction was horrendous. For instance, when Dan Ryan installed our doors, the frames were damaged. Instead of fixing the frames, they hung as is with big chunks out of the wood or nails to try and nail in any frayed pieces.

In our guest bathroom, the tub faucet was not properly installed. It was so bad that the faucet pulled out of the wall. When we informed the Construction Manager, they did have someone come in to fix it. Their "fix" was to glue the faucet to the wall. Not only does it still pull out, but there is a glued mess there. So, my husband and I submitted our rather long list. When the Contract Manager, Kim, came in to review the items the first words out of her mouth was that she has never seen a list so long. I'm sorry, if you would have done quality work - the list wouldn't have needed to be so long. Kim talked down to my husband, in our home, and basically tried to tell us that the repairs needed were homeowner maintenance. My husband and Kim got into a verbal argument, which led to Kim being asked to not return to our home.

You would think that after that, someone from Dan Ryan would try to contact us to smooth things over. Not only did they not contact us, but it took us contacting Kim's superior to start the ball rolling again. Kim's supervisor indicated that he would come to the house to review the list, but never gave us a date. Instead, after days of calling, we were informed that he no longer worked for Dan Ryan. Again, we went to someone above Kim, which was Mr. **. He did come to the house and review the list and agreed that the items were NOT homeowner maintenance. He admitted that the timing, around Christmas, would be hard to get contractors in our home to do the work. We gave him time, due to the holidays.

After the first of the year, my husband kept contacting his cell phone and informing him of his schedule so that contractors could be set up. Turns out that Mr. ** was moved to another position in the company. No one informed us of that, we found out because we kept calling. Finally, angry and frustrated, I sent a lengthy email to the warranty company, demanding a response by a certain date. The President of Dan Ryan, Pittsburgh Division, called me directly. He indicated that he was moving from Maryland to President to take over the Division and that he wanted to do research regarding our home. I told him everything that was stated above and indicated that while I feel bad that he is coming into this situation, I would not give him months to straighten it out.

At this point, we were already going on month 4 of waiting for our house to be fixed and getting the run-around. He told me he would call the next week and let me know what he found out. He did call the following week and indicated that what I had stated was true. He apologized that the ball was dropped and assigned a new manager to take care of the issues. He said that the new person assigned had some health issues and was seeking treatment and would not be able to call me until the following week, but he would call me on Monday. Monday came and went, and I received no phone call. I emailed the President and told him what had happened and his email back was that his manager, by now, surely called me. No, he didn't. His manager didn't bother to call me until the next day, only indicating in his voicemail that when he gets back to the office he will look into getting contractors scheduled.

At this point, unless I take other action, I highly doubt our home will be completed. I do intend to pursue those actions and have even turned Dan Ryan into the Better Business Bureau. If you have the opportunity to build a house with Dan Ryan, DON'T. My husband and I think every single day, "How can we get rid of this house?" This was supposed to be our starter house, for two people that worked really hard and accomplished this on their own. Instead, it is a house of nightmares. BUYER BEWARE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

After I have washed and dried my clothes after a couple or more days dust get on my clothes so I have to re-wash. Dan Ryan warranty company says the air ducts are not dirty and the furnace is not either, even thou the Heating & AC company says both are dirty. And Dan Ryan warranty company came out twice and did absolutely nothing. And I'm concerned about my health and the air quality in my brand new built home!!!

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders performed several tests to determine if there was leak in the home that could possibly be causing the dust. After paying for the tests and results, it was determined that there was not a significant leakage in the home that could cause the excessive “dust” that she was experiencing. In fact, the outside testing company had some experience with this before and they determined that the laundry detergent that was being used may be the culprit.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Unethical. Formal offer submitted... Took THREE days to counter offer which we accepted within 24 hours. Had us complete the application process, which required us to have our credit checked, only to back out of our offer for another offer. Now we're stuck without the house and an inquiry on our credit report. Way to put the customer first... Be eat of their on-site agent, Jeff, and their VP Michael **.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We will never build with Dan Ryan again. We have had so many issues from our walk thru to our flooded basement. As soon as they had our money, they did not act swiftly to our complaints and needs. While we love our home, we do not love having to pull teeth to have folks fix the problems they have promised to complete. Our experiences began before we even closed on the house. Since this is my first buying experience (second for my husband), we though that little problems would be fixed with issue, but we were very wrong. During our first walk thru (dry wall), we found a substantial hole in our living room floor. It was big enough that a small foot would have fit with no issue. We were told it must have happened when someone was on a ladder and a hammer fell. We were assured it would be properly fixed.

Fast forward to our second walk thru, we found the hole was not fixed and it was CARPETED over. Yes, someone had to have seen a pretty big hole and decided to carpet over the area. The ONLY reason we saw this was that our basement is unfinished and we could look at the basement ceiling to confirm the hole was, in fact, still there. They fixed it with two pieces of wood and wood glue before we closed on the date. The closing date was also problematic. It was close to the due date of our child. We were told that the closing date could not be changed in any circumstance, even if I was in labor. The representative said the time could be "moved back" but not changed. Thankfully, we did not have to miss the closing date, but we did have to get a Power of Attorney in case of emergency.

After we closed, we have had multiple issues with communication about work that needed to be completed. Many times workers would come by unannounced. The only reason I knew they were working outside the house was that I was on maternity leave and accidentally would see people outside of my window working on our lawn or on my porch. They even placed trees in our yard without asking us where to plant. The project manager claimed that we had signed off on a document when really the tree placement was written over a previously signed document. In other words, a Dan Ryan representative forged our information and claimed we had called for this action. We did make this known, and we were told we didn't have to work with the Project Manager any longer, and that We could work with his supervisor.

In addition to the lack of communication, we found there was a lot of lackluster work done in the house. In the first weekend, our guests hung a towel after they showered in the guest bath. The rack was not placed in a stud and fell off of the wall. Then, a pipe was coming out of the wall in our half bath since it was incorrectly installed. The paint job on our front door is incomplete as well as our paved driveway. These items have been reported multiple times. Now, we have cracks in our ceilings in the second floor, and I'm afraid it will not get fixed.

Additionally, the paved driveway was to be completed. We have a money hold on Dan Ryan until the driveway's top coat is set, and they finish the outside painting and powerwash (since we can still see construction writing on the concrete porch). They called our bank and asked the funds to be released, saying the job was done when it wasn't. Our bank did intercede on our behalf and took pictures of our incomplete house. The money was not released, even now.

During our 180 day walk through we were hopeful that items would be getting fixed. The supervisor in this area assured us that the work was going to get done. In fact, he fixed many items that day, and we were very excited. There were a few items on the list that were not attended to (which was months ago). One of those items was a pipe that was supposed to be buried in our yard to get water away from our house. Two weeks ago, we found slight flooding in our basement and immediately emailed, asking them to take care of the issue.

We received no response; however, we know that it did get to the proper location as we were in an email thread with this individual who responded after making no mention of the photos of the mini flood. Today, we found we have a flooded basement (4 inches of water) which kicked our heat off and it's mid-50 degrees. We have now lost some items in our basement due to water damage, the instillation has been wet, and we have lost a lot of time dealing with this issue already. The ticket was officially open since July, but we have pictures of the issue that was sent at the end of May. (We are now approaching Oct. for reference.)

Please, take our advice and do not build with these people. There was one person that we found that had a great experience and we thought it was going to be the same. Believe us, you don't want to go through this frustration. The company is unorganized and individuals lie to protect their own interests. We are so disappointed in this process. We knew there was going to be bumps, but this is unreal.

Dan Ryan Builders response

To our knowledge, all warrantable items in the home have been repaired.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I saw model house. Was impressed. Something was sold but not exactly what I wanted. They did not provide me with layout picture graph which will say what I will get before closing. I was upset to see the structure during pre-drywall walk that bathroom was way off. And even more upset to see during pre-settlement that carpet was provided instead of wood flooring. I wanted withdraw but I was told that I will lose 10,000 my hard earn money.

Later more upset to see water bottle in air duct and messed fridge with soda spilled all over. I guess they do not pay their workers very well and saw their frustration in my home. Please do not do mistakes as I did. Get layout with clear pictured stating what you really get. Otherwise they will argue that everything is provided in document which is hard to understand for person who is from different country and first time home buyer. I wanted to give my feedback to Dan Ryan Builders but I guess since it's big Corporate my voice will never be heard.

Dan Ryan Builders response

The home was built with the choices that the customer was willing to pay for at time of contract, the upgraded bath was not one of those chosen. This was clear in the paperwork and noted in other correspondence. The customer had a realtor as well. During the construction phase, the bottle that fell into a vent was removed along with a through cleaning of spilled soda in the refrigerator. The refusal to change the bath after construction start is what prompted this review.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I closed on my home in Oct. 2016. Since then I have had major flooding issues that cover 98% of my backyard and at some areas it is knee deep. I feel like I have waterfront property when it rains. I had to get the County involved to get Dan Ryan to even acknowledge that there was an issue. Long story short, as of today (8/30/18) my issue still has not been resolved and it is a task to even get a progress update from Dan Ryan as to what is being done to fix my issue. To make things worse, I may have foundation issues now having noticed that there is a crack in my wall spanning the full length from top to bottom. To add insult to injury, I have also had my A/C break twice already and the home isn't 2 years old yet.

Resolution response: Feb. 8, 2019

Dan ** worked with us to resolve warranty issues. We are happy with the effort with the new team in place. Great improvement from past team.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Moved in this home November 2017. Problems from the get go with the home. We have continual problem with the electricity in the home, we lose power in our kitchen often, the electrician has been out to our home to attempt to fix the problem with no success. My worst fear is that we get killed in a house fire in this house. The electrician was out this past Saturday and said that a staple in one of the wires in the house could be causing the power to shut off all the time and trip. That would require much damage to our new home to find that staple if that is the cause.

Our master shower the tile was discolored and we had the tile company out and now they have removed the glass enclosure and now have to remove the tile and now have to waterproof and redo the shower, this has been for just about 4 weeks now without the shower. The glass was broken was to be replaced before closing and that did not happen and we are still waiting, maybe when they put the shower enclosure back it will hopefully be replaced as promised. I have sent numerous emails and phone calls with an untimely response or sometimes no reply at all. The voicemail is full so you cannot leave a message. It has been a nightmare dealing with Dan Ryan. There are drainage issues that need to be addressed, so much throughout the house that needs repair. A very disgusted and disappointed customer.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The staff is very friendly and accommodating, until the contract is signed. They refused to let me make any changes. And the home had not even started being built yet. For the closing I'm told that if I do not use their attorney I have to make a separate trip to their corporate office to get the keys because it's their policy. They make no effort to be easy to work with. I would suggest that you find another builder unless you like to be bullied and push around after they get your deposit.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This company is the worst home builders I have ever dealt with! They don’t even deserve a 1 star rating, but I’m not able rate lower. It took over 2 months just to get a signed contract with this company because they kept messing up on the upgrades we added due to the incompetent employees. After 5 different contracts, we finally had a signed contract with Dan Ryan Builders. I thought the worst was over, and it would be smooth sailing from here... NO! It only got worse! We went through 3 different sales representatives and 3 project managers because they either quit or got moved to a different location, leaving everyone we dealt with clueless.

We added over $90K in upgrades, top of the line carpet and pad, tiles, etc... The carpet pad they put in was standard instead of the upgrade we paid for, shingled the house with the wrong color, forgot to frame out a door for a bedroom, wired a 240 volt outlet wrong and almost caught the house on fire. I could keep going for pages. Bottom line, nothing in the house is quality work or worth the value they charge. The house even appraised $34K less than they tried to charge! If you’re in a contract with Dan Ryan Builders now, GET OUT! What money you lose now is way less than what you’ll lose by continuing with them. And if you’re thinking of building with them please reconsider. I would hate to see anyone else go through what my family and I had to.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Currently, all service items in the home that were submitted have been completed and signed off. This customer did have a poor experience due to turnover. Dan Ryan Builders made a change in management which has improved the turnover, added warranty people and increased our overall customer experience. Unfortunately, though, not before this customer purchased.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2018

I’ve had nothing but issues since I bought my NEW home. Tiles cracked, cracks in wall, nails coming out of ceiling, leaking window, crooked walls, vinyl siding with hole, cabinets scratched, and hardwood floors flaking. It’s been 2 years and I still have every issue. There are several other builders here, don’t choose this one! When I have 70k in upgrades I expect a perfect house!

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders is unsure that this is a Dan Ryan Builders customer as we cannot find a record of any of these issues in our warranty system. Additionally, there is another builder with a similar name that builds in that area as well.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 5, 2018

We purchased an "upgrade" on our main floor to "hardwood floors". Upgrade was an additional $13k. The flooring is very cheap, is damaged in multiple areas, and to this point (one month after moving in) we have not heard anything back on what they will do. The hardwood floor is engineered, meaning plywood with a .6mm finish that is glued to the plywood. This is one of the cheapest options available on the market. Unfortunately, I am finding this all out after the fact, by visiting a couple flooring specialist. I've attached a couple pictures; however I have many more.

Dan Ryan Builders response

This flooring contractor did not repair the floors in a timely manner. The speed of customer service has been addressed with that particular provider, as we use several. Currently, all warrantable items in the home have been repaired.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 26, 2018

They deserve a zero rating. This is the worst builder I have ever used out of 3. The quality of the house and the workmanship is the worst I have ever seen, cheap and less than any other builder. The worker are apathetic and sloppy. There is dirt behind the sheetrock. I was told they don't blow it clean anymore because it's too expensive. The 2x4s were damaged and patched, the walls had holes, then were patched. Some of the walls were not even painted. The tile is cheap with dents and holes in it. The carpet is bumpy throughout the entire house. In 8 mos. lines are forming across the carpet as if it's been there ten years. There were paint droppings left on everything everywhere including on the carpet.

Stuff that should be standard in any house was not given and discovered by a private inspector, like, no gutters on the house, attic installation inferior, no concrete foundation around the house, with holes from builder workers, animals and god only knows what else. Walls needed to separate rooms they wanted to charge $1,500 for. I paid for upgraded bathroom. The bathroom is a disaster. The shower is jailhouse small. Prisoner have better facilities. I'm 145 lbs and bumping into the walls trying to use the shower. In fact, my back is about 2in from the wall. The shower floor has been creeping since day one and now the floor is sinking in. The foreman refused to repair. The rail I paid for as an upgrade, paint was all over it. I paid for granite upgrade in the kitchen. It is the worst I ever seen. It looks dirty all the time. One foreman said it needed to be buffed. The other said, "We don't do that, it cost too much."

The panel box needed repair twice. The repair person told me it's because it's so cheap that it flips if you use certain outlets in the house. He said to avoid certain outlets. No screens put on sliding glass doors. According to workman, the builder said that's an investment that cost too much too like the gutters. BTW, the inspector said if I did buy the gutters the rain, etc. would destroy the roof in a couple of years. The concrete floor in the garage is cracked and cracking, the house is only 8 months old. The worst part is workers telling me if I fail to give a good survey they won't be paid their bonuses. Why would any builder make the home buyer responsible for whether or not he pays bonuses to his workers? It's sick. Then the fall out I had to endure as a result of my survey. Sick.

I could go on, but I won't. Just don't purchase a home from Dan Ryan. You will indeed regret it like I do. Oh yeah, they made me pay a $2,000 premium on the lot I'm on, stating it was the biggest in that row of houses. It's the same size as both neighbors. Rip off. The refuse to clean out the lot and woods behind it too. It's full of trash. Why. Do my neighbor's landscape into my yard. Beyond the survey marks? That too is causing chaos among neighbors. Again sloppy. All the light bulbs went out in less than 6 months and had to be replaced too. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A HOUSE FROM DAN RYAN AND TELL EVERYBODY YOU KNOW THE SAME THING.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders does not recognize this customer as a Dan Ryan Builders customer and has no record of her or any warrantable items. Additionally, there is another builder with a similar name building in Apex.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Moved in to Saltgrass Pointe Charleston SC in Nov 2017. There were and are many things that need repair. Poor quality workmanship. Found a soda bottle and open Sheetrock behind bathroom mirror, closet rack fell down, electric outlets did not work on kitchen island, poor sparkle work throughout the home. We purchased home with private fence in yard? In one month of living here a letter comes from the county that fence has to come down and there is a 25 foot easement so I that gives us an 8-9 foot backyard.

Dan Ryan put that fence there to sell homes knowing that they put the fence up when the county told them that you cannot have a fence within the easement, They did not get any permits. No encroachment permit nothing. They deceived us from the saleswoman at Dan Ryan on. It is very disturbing to me that they would do this to several people in my neighborhood and take no accountability for what they did. We met with some of the higher ups at Dan Ryan and were lied to again straight to our faces. Feeling very taken advantage of.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Dan Ryan Builders poorly constructed my home and now it refuses to honor its warranty. Its personnel make appointments to repair items and then fail to show up. The quality of construction is poor and its customer service is even worse.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have been trying to resolve some issues since OCTOBER and all I get is the runaround. Now I find out the person that was supposed to be working with me isnt even over our subdivision. I had to have my vinyl flooring reinstalled and was asked to get on my knees to inspect the floor for bubbles, causing me to tear my meniscus and had to have surgery. I would NEVER recommend this builder. Also lied about homeowners association fees and have increased in just 4 mos by additional $100 without ever calling a meeting or involving the homeowners, this is just beyond disappointing.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders went to the home multiple times to locate the "bubbles" in the vinyl flooring and was unable to find the bubbles. The Homeowner's Association is run by the developer of the community, not Dan Ryan Builders. Any HOA budgets provided at time of contract are given to Dan Ryan Builders by the developer, as well as increases. Additionally, Dan Ryan Builders has spent thousands of dollars to replant vegetation that was removed and caused soil erosion.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Dan Ryan Builders Raleigh-Durhan Division - I am in the process of purchasing a new construction townhome in Raleigh NC at the Crosstowne subdivision. I went under contract in Feb. 2017 and my estimated closing date was to be in August 2017. Here I am on 9/20/2017 and my home has not even began construction. We were told that the soil was bad so they had to hold off on building. The thing is, the development is like 75% complete so I don't fully understand how those homes are not on bad soil either. Regardless of if that was true or not, the office has been very close-mouthed with any and all info and for about 6 months, failed to return calls or update myself or my agent on any progress. It was not until recently (maybe 1.5 months ago) that I started getting vague communication with the builders and officials (after posting a very truthful and public FB and Instagram review to my 5k followers) that I began to hear back IMMEDIATELY from them.

I work in PR and marketing so I am aware of how to use various platforms to make the truth visible. I do NOT feel taken care of as a client and I am honestly very disappointed in the customer service, lack of communication, and lack of effort to attempt to make this situation better for me (which should be the top priority.) I have gotten estimated closing dates from August all the way up until February 2018. They keep telling me that they are on schedule to begin construction but cannot tell me exactly what that "schedule" is. Until I am satisfied, I will continue to post the truth about my process along with the weekly photos that I have taken since March 2017 of the red soil that is still in place of my home. I also work 5 mins. from this home site so I can easily see if real progress has been made or not.

Dan Ryan Builders response

This customer did wait a year to get into his home. His building was the 1st one sold and when construction commenced, a soils issue was discovered. Unfortunately, it was one of the last constructed. It took a very long time to correct soils issue. Dan Ryan Builders wanted to ensure that the homes were built right. That all issues were resolved prior to putting people in homes. This isn't how we want the process to go. Even if no new news to share, we should have communicated better.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 29, 2017

Called about a new construction property and the agent never returned the call. I then placed a call to the Dan Ryan headquarters and the young woman who answered the phone explained that she's just a receptionist and couldn't help. When I called Sandi about a new build, she indicated that Mary would call me back nearly two weeks later! On the scheduled day of the appointment, Mary never called. Nearly an hour later, she wrote an e-mail alleging she phone, just rang with no message. Ridiculous. No call ever registered on my phone. If that had indeed happened, any reasonable professional would have dialed the number again.

During an earlier conversation, Sandi indicated that the new construction site was only 10 minutes from civilization. Not accurate. The site was 25 minutes from the nearest city. She also said the HOA was minimal, but it tuned out to be $550.00. Thankfully, the incompetence of these agents prevented me from a probable dreadful home building experience with Dan Ryan Builders. My advice: don't overlook the signs of unprofessional behavior or ineptitude -- They are harbingers of what may come later.

Dan Ryan Builders response

The sales consultant was counseled regarding this matter.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 22, 2017

We purchased a second home in Johnston County in North Carolina from Dan Ryan Builders. In building the home - between the sales agent, project manager and design center - there was always a lack of communication between them all. Mistakes were constantly made. This is not our first home we built so we are very familiar with a new home building process. We were treated horribly with settlement because they were refusing to fix things in the house that were their mistakes they made. Settlement took 10 hours because Dan Ryan kept refusing to fix what they did.

Now 3 months after settlement and 2 project managers later they have continuously lied to us and continue to refuse fixing what is on the punch list by not showing up to the house. They have access to the house as we live out of state. There is always an excuse of why someone didn't do it. When vendors have been in the house to fix something they either damaged other things, stole items out of the house and used our things in the house such as using our master bedroom couch and took our blanket off our bed for the couch and threw pillows on the floor. One can only imagine what they did in there.

They continue to blow us off in doing the obligated repairs as listed in our walkthrough. In addition they have further damaged things in the house. When any repairs have been done the workmanship is of extremely poor quality and needs to be redone again. The project manager ignores our emails and phone calls as well. We have requested Dan Ryan to meet with us but he blows us off. We have a laundry list of things still needing to be done and/or repaired in the house and they have a million excuses of why things are delayed.

This has been the WORST home building experience we have ever have!!! There are many other things they have done to us but too many things to go into. We have been extremely nice and accommodating to them but not now!! What do we need to do Dan Ryan to get your personal attention. Maybe sue you and go very public?!?

Dan Ryan Builders response

Multiple Dan Ryan Builders representatives, including leadership, have reached out to this customer to discuss her dissatisfaction with her home. Due to the stance of the homeowner, we have asked her to get a third party Quality Builders Warranty representative to come to her home. Since they are not a Dan Ryan Builders employee they may be allowed to address her concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 10, 2017

We are in the process of building our home. Our project manager is the nephew of the CEO. He has zero care for customer service. We have been kept in the dark from day 1 of construction. Does not bother to reply to emails/texts. We met 3 other neighbors who are experiencing these same issues. We spoke to his manager and he is even more arrogant. His response is "we are not going to do anything about fixing the issues we brought forward." They are continuing to build this home with total lack of customer care and not even bothering to abide by the paperwork and plans they made us sign. Dan Ryan has successfully managed to pull all the fun out of future homeowner. This has been an incredibly stressful and painful experience. We are at the mercy of this home builder. They are making us feel like they have done us a huge favor by selling us this home and building it for us.

Dan Ryan Builders response

All warrantable items in this home have been completed. This project manager and his boss are no longer with the company as of late 2017/early 2018. We never want a customer to lose their joy in the new home building process and are deeply saddened that these individuals made the homeowner feel this way.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

They check thoroughly and inspect properly for possible damages or more extensive damage. They do an amazing job on inspection. Great job. They back all their services and supplies with a extended warranty. You're well covered with them and no hassle guarantee. Awesome. Best quality services and products. Very reliable services backed by a guarantee. One of the best available, can't ask for more. Top of the line services. Very valuable services for the price, well worth the money, should cost more than it does but that provides every customer a deep discount.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I found the inspection process to be very clear and straightforward. Everything went quite smooth. I was happy with all of the people I dealt with as well. I found that the terms of the warranty were clearly laid out and suited my needs quite well. It was all explained to me in clear terms that were easy for me to understand. I found them to be very reliable. They always showed up when they said they would. I never had to reschedule any appointments and was overall very satisfied with them. I consider that the quality of the service that I received was well worth the cost. I would say that all things considered they offered a great value.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The inspection process is clear as day. It's direct to the point and they give you detail that you know what you doing. The inspection is great and I like the process. The warranty is very unique and the process is very professional and warranty is the best out there. Would like to thank you for everything. The reliability is very good. They make sure that the process is clear and upfront. You won't have to worry about anything. The value is amazing and helped me out in so many ways. The value is the best thing offered by a company like this.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

It's very good. I love the inspection process mainly because it's suitable for homeowners and it keeps homeowners enact with things they can develop. The warranty is alright. I love how the warranty is set up in a way that I can stick by it to make sure that everything goes okay with the progress of keeping everything set. Reliability is good enough that I can truly put the trust and the thanks to those that gave an idea to put this into my mind to think about this thing to keep the house and everything intact. The value is marvelous in a way that I would like to thank that person for respecting their customers by adding a lot of potential into their determined workers.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

Very easy and hardly no time at all. The quality and the professional staff makes this part of the process really easy for you. They explain anything that goes on and you are never in doubt as to the proceedings for your new home. This is probably the best part of watching your home being built. The step by step that they take is something that they know you the customer will be proud of. They stand behind what they build. They will be there on the job on time every day it takes to make sure your home is built the way you want it to be built. I was very satisfied and would recommend them for your next new home. The value here is knowing you are getting your investment time and time again. Your peace of mind knowing that this new home is going to be yours for many happy years. They want you the customer to be 100% satisfied.

Original review: March 24, 2016

HORRIBLE customer service. Ruined the new home builder experience. You will be in for a fight no matter what issues need correction with your home. Management is disrespectful, will talk down to you in your own home (yes, this has happened to us), project managers will refuse to acknowledge visible problem and deny there is a problem. Our project manager refused to acknowledge documented issues even when he was onsite and could see the issue. He would simply say, "I am not fixing it".

Grading issues from day 1 and they refused to fix. Even the developer and excavator have acknowledged the issues and contacted Dan Ryan Builders, who refuse to help or even meet to discuss issues. I would never recommend Dan Ryan Builders. I would happily show anyone the problems we have had if only I could get someone to look. I would gladly post my address to have anyone come to see for themselves. Sooo much more to write, but I think the point has been made.

Original review: May 29, 2015

My husband and I purchased a new Dan Ryan townhome in December 2014. I was ensured that once the weather permitted, our lawn would be established to the back end of our property. I have been patient especially since we moved in in the winter. At this point, May 29th, the lawn around the building has been seeded and I have been caring for it. I have questioned 6 different people associated with this development concerning the rest of the lawn and have gotten multiple answers. My latest response has been that Dan Ryan is responsible for the rest of the lawn. I am currently awaiting a return call from a Dan Ryan employee. It is frustrating since I had been specifically told that it would be taken care of by Dan Ryan from the beginning. My advice to anyone considering buying a home from Dan Ryan is to get it in writing.

Dan Ryan Builders expert review by Joseph Truini

Dan Ryan Builders is a privately owned, locally focused homebuilder that operates on the East Coast of the United States. It has been building homes for 25 years. Dan Ryan builds homes in six states: Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.​

• Provides energy-efficient homes: Buyers can purchase homes that save money by conserving energy and reducing the home’s carbon footprint.

• Realtor-friendly builder: Prospective homebuyers can bring their own real estate agent to consultations and negotiations.

• Consultants available: If you don’t have a real estate agent, you can consult with an agent provided by Dan Ryan Builders.

• Hardhat tours available: Prospective homebuyers can tour homes under construction to get a first-hand look at the quality, features and style that they can expect in their own home.

• Homes can be built quickly: Homebuyers can move in within three to five months of ordering their homes.

• Best for: Dan Ryan Builders is best for environmentalists, people with time constraints and budget-minded buyers.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Dan Ryan Builders questions and answers

What problem is Dan Ryan Builders trying to solve?
Dan Ryan Builders provides energy efficient, well appointed, solidly constructed new homes in the best locations.
What sets Dan Ryan Builders apart from the competition?
We are a Top 25 Private Homebuilder and #39 on the Builder 100 list. Being privately held, we report to our customers and not Wall Street.
What needs does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill, and how does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill those needs better than the competition?
Dan Ryan Builders’ mission statement revolves around “Better Value, Better Living.” This means the best built homes, in the right locations, with the right included features at an affordable price. We use the best materials available such as Typar House Wrap, Weyerhaeuser Gold Sub-Flooring, we have 2x6 framed exterior walls and modern home designs.
How does Dan Ryan Builders measure success?
By our customer’s level of happiness. Currently 94% of our customers would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to a family member or friend.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dan Ryan Builders?
That Value means lowest price. Value means the right combination of location, price, design and quality.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years?
The past five years, Dan Ryan Builders has grown organically while other builders have grown through acquisition or unfortunately, gone out of business. We believe that this is because Dan Ryan Builders cares a bit more about the customer experience, ensures a quality built home and has great locations and designs.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dan Ryan Builders?
We are so confident in our quality of construction that we pay a 3rd party to quality inspect every Dan Ryan Builders home.
Has Dan Ryan Builders received any rewards or recognition for its services that your customers would like to know about?
We have received numerous awards for our home designs, quality of employees and philanthropic efforts. However, we have received the prestigious, “Builder of Integrity” award consecutively 2008-2014. This award is given to a select few builders based off a low number of dissatisfied customers and how the instance is handled quickly.
How has Dan Ryan Builders grown?
We’ve grown from building pre-dominantly in the Washington DC area to now building in 6 states: PA, MD, VA, VA, NC & SC and 10 markets. We additionally have added an extensive line up of Estate Homes and Single Level Living homes to our portfolio.

Dan Ryan Builders Company Information