2.00/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

20 Dan Ryan Builders Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

The staff is very friendly and accommodating, until the contract is signed. They refused to let me make any changes. And the home had not even started being built yet. For the closing I'm told that if I do not use their attorney I have to make a separate trip to their corporate office to get the keys because it's their policy. They make no effort to be easy to work with. I would suggest that you find another builder unless you like to be bullied and push around after they get your deposit.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This company is the worst home builders I have ever dealt with! They don’t even deserve a 1 star rating, but I’m not able rate lower. It took over 2 months just to get a signed contract with this company because they kept messing up on the upgrades we added due to the incompetent employees. After 5 different contracts, we finally had a signed contract with Dan Ryan Builders. I thought the worst was over, and it would be smooth sailing from here... NO! It only got worse! We went through 3 different sales representatives and 3 project managers because they either quit or got moved to a different location, leaving everyone we dealt with clueless.

We added over $90K in upgrades, top of the line carpet and pad, tiles, etc... The carpet pad they put in was standard instead of the upgrade we paid for, shingled the house with the wrong color, forgot to frame out a door for a bedroom, wired a 240 volt outlet wrong and almost caught the house on fire. I could keep going for pages. Bottom line, nothing in the house is quality work or worth the value they charge. The house even appraised $34K less than they tried to charge! If you’re in a contract with Dan Ryan Builders now, GET OUT! What money you lose now is way less than what you’ll lose by continuing with them. And if you’re thinking of building with them please reconsider. I would hate to see anyone else go through what my family and I had to.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I’ve had nothing but issues since I bought my NEW home. Tiles cracked, cracks in wall, nails coming out of ceiling, leaking window, crooked walls, vinyl siding with hole, cabinets scratched, and hardwood floors flaking. It’s been 2 years and I still have every issue. There are several other builders here, don’t choose this one! When I have 70k in upgrades I expect a perfect house!

Original review: June 5, 2018

We purchased an "upgrade" on our main floor to "hardwood floors". Upgrade was an additional $13k. The flooring is very cheap, is damaged in multiple areas, and to this point (one month after moving in) we have not heard anything back on what they will do. The hardwood floor is engineered, meaning plywood with a .6mm finish that is glued to the plywood. This is one of the cheapest options available on the market. Unfortunately, I am finding this all out after the fact, by visiting a couple flooring specialist. I've attached a couple pictures; however I have many more.

Original review: March 26, 2018

They deserve a zero rating. This is the worst builder I have ever used out of 3. The quality of the house and the workmanship is the worst I have ever seen, cheap and less than any other builder. The worker are apathetic and sloppy. There is dirt behind the sheetrock. I was told they don't blow it clean anymore because it's too expensive. The 2x4s were damaged and patched, the walls had holes, then were patched. Some of the walls were not even painted. The tile is cheap with dents and holes in it. The carpet is bumpy throughout the entire house. In 8 mos. lines are forming across the carpet as if it's been there ten years. There were paint droppings left on everything everywhere including on the carpet.

Stuff that should be standard in any house was not given and discovered by a private inspector, like, no gutters on the house, attic installation inferior, no concrete foundation around the house, with holes from builder workers, animals and god only knows what else. Walls needed to separate rooms they wanted to charge $1,500 for. I paid for upgraded bathroom. The bathroom is a disaster. The shower is jailhouse small. Prisoner have better facilities. I'm 145 lbs and bumping into the walls trying to use the shower. In fact, my back is about 2in from the wall. The shower floor has been creeping since day one and now the floor is sinking in. The foreman refused to repair. The rail I paid for as an upgrade, paint was all over it. I paid for granite upgrade in the kitchen. It is the worst I ever seen. It looks dirty all the time. One foreman said it needed to be buffed. The other said, "We don't do that, it cost too much."

The panel box needed repair twice. The repair person told me it's because it's so cheap that it flips if you use certain outlets in the house. He said to avoid certain outlets. No screens put on sliding glass doors. According to workman, the builder said that's an investment that cost too much too like the gutters. BTW, the inspector said if I did buy the gutters the rain, etc. would destroy the roof in a couple of years. The concrete floor in the garage is cracked and cracking, the house is only 8 months old. The worst part is workers telling me if I fail to give a good survey they won't be paid their bonuses. Why would any builder make the home buyer responsible for whether or not he pays bonuses to his workers? It's sick. Then the fall out I had to endure as a result of my survey. Sick.

I could go on, but I won't. Just don't purchase a home from Dan Ryan. You will indeed regret it like I do. Oh yeah, they made me pay a $2,000 premium on the lot I'm on, stating it was the biggest in that row of houses. It's the same size as both neighbors. Rip off. The refuse to clean out the lot and woods behind it too. It's full of trash. Why. Do my neighbor's landscape into my yard. Beyond the survey marks? That too is causing chaos among neighbors. Again sloppy. All the light bulbs went out in less than 6 months and had to be replaced too. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A HOUSE FROM DAN RYAN AND TELL EVERYBODY YOU KNOW THE SAME THING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

Original review: March 1, 2018

Moved in to Saltgrass Pointe Charleston SC in Nov 2017. There were and are many things that need repair. Poor quality workmanship. Found a soda bottle and open Sheetrock behind bathroom mirror, closet rack fell down, electric outlets did not work on kitchen island, poor sparkle work throughout the home. We purchased home with private fence in yard? In one month of living here a letter comes from the county that fence has to come down and there is a 25 foot easement so I that gives us an 8-9 foot backyard.

Dan Ryan put that fence there to sell homes knowing that they put the fence up when the county told them that you cannot have a fence within the easement, They did not get any permits. No encroachment permit nothing. They deceived us from the saleswoman at Dan Ryan on. It is very disturbing to me that they would do this to several people in my neighborhood and take no accountability for what they did. We met with some of the higher ups at Dan Ryan and were lied to again straight to our faces. Feeling very taken advantage of.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Dan Ryan Builders poorly constructed my home and now it refuses to honor its warranty. Its personnel make appointments to repair items and then fail to show up. The quality of construction is poor and its customer service is even worse.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have been trying to resolve some issues since OCTOBER and all I get is the runaround. Now I find out the person that was supposed to be working with me isnt even over our subdivision. I had to have my vinyl flooring reinstalled and was asked to get on my knees to inspect the floor for bubbles, causing me to tear my meniscus and had to have surgery. I would NEVER recommend this builder. Also lied about homeowners association fees and have increased in just 4 mos by additional $100 without ever calling a meeting or involving the homeowners, this is just beyond disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Dan Ryan Builders Raleigh-Durhan Division - I am in the process of purchasing a new construction townhome in Raleigh NC at the Crosstowne subdivision. I went under contract in Feb. 2017 and my estimated closing date was to be in August 2017. Here I am on 9/20/2017 and my home has not even began construction. We were told that the soil was bad so they had to hold off on building. The thing is, the development is like 75% complete so I don't fully understand how those homes are not on bad soil either. Regardless of if that was true or not, the office has been very close-mouthed with any and all info and for about 6 months, failed to return calls or update myself or my agent on any progress. It was not until recently (maybe 1.5 months ago) that I started getting vague communication with the builders and officials (after posting a very truthful and public FB and Instagram review to my 5k followers) that I began to hear back IMMEDIATELY from them.

I work in PR and marketing so I am aware of how to use various platforms to make the truth visible. I do NOT feel taken care of as a client and I am honestly very disappointed in the customer service, lack of communication, and lack of effort to attempt to make this situation better for me (which should be the top priority.) I have gotten estimated closing dates from August all the way up until February 2018. They keep telling me that they are on schedule to begin construction but cannot tell me exactly what that "schedule" is. Until I am satisfied, I will continue to post the truth about my process along with the weekly photos that I have taken since March 2017 of the red soil that is still in place of my home. I also work 5 mins. from this home site so I can easily see if real progress has been made or not.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Called about a new construction property and the agent never returned the call. I then placed a call to the Dan Ryan headquarters and the young woman who answered the phone explained that she's just a receptionist and couldn't help. When I called Sandi about a new build, she indicated that Mary would call me back nearly two weeks later! On the scheduled day of the appointment, Mary never called. Nearly an hour later, she wrote an e-mail alleging she phone, just rang with no message. Ridiculous. No call ever registered on my phone. If that had indeed happened, any reasonable professional would have dialed the number again.

During an earlier conversation, Sandi indicated that the new construction site was only 10 minutes from civilization. Not accurate. The site was 25 minutes from the nearest city. She also said the HOA was minimal, but it tuned out to be $550.00. Thankfully, the incompetence of these agents prevented me from a probable dreadful home building experience with Dan Ryan Builders. My advice: don't overlook the signs of unprofessional behavior or ineptitude -- They are harbingers of what may come later.

Original review: April 22, 2017

We purchased a second home in Johnston County in North Carolina from Dan Ryan Builders. In building the home - between the sales agent, project manager and design center - there was always a lack of communication between them all. Mistakes were constantly made. This is not our first home we built so we are very familiar with a new home building process. We were treated horribly with settlement because they were refusing to fix things in the house that were their mistakes they made. Settlement took 10 hours because Dan Ryan kept refusing to fix what they did.

Now 3 months after settlement and 2 project managers later they have continuously lied to us and continue to refuse fixing what is on the punch list by not showing up to the house. They have access to the house as we live out of state. There is always an excuse of why someone didn't do it. When vendors have been in the house to fix something they either damaged other things, stole items out of the house and used our things in the house such as using our master bedroom couch and took our blanket off our bed for the couch and threw pillows on the floor. One can only imagine what they did in there.

They continue to blow us off in doing the obligated repairs as listed in our walkthrough. In addition they have further damaged things in the house. When any repairs have been done the workmanship is of extremely poor quality and needs to be redone again. The project manager ignores our emails and phone calls as well. We have requested Dan Ryan to meet with us but he blows us off. We have a laundry list of things still needing to be done and/or repaired in the house and they have a million excuses of why things are delayed.

This has been the WORST home building experience we have ever have!!! There are many other things they have done to us but too many things to go into. We have been extremely nice and accommodating to them but not now!! What do we need to do Dan Ryan to get your personal attention. Maybe sue you and go very public?!?

Original review: March 10, 2017

We are in the process of building our home. Our project manager is the nephew of the CEO. He has zero care for customer service. We have been kept in the dark from day 1 of construction. Does not bother to reply to emails/texts. We met 3 other neighbors who are experiencing these same issues. We spoke to his manager and he is even more arrogant. His response is "we are not going to do anything about fixing the issues we brought forward." They are continuing to build this home with total lack of customer care and not even bothering to abide by the paperwork and plans they made us sign. Dan Ryan has successfully managed to pull all the fun out of future homeowner. This has been an incredibly stressful and painful experience. We are at the mercy of this home builder. They are making us feel like they have done us a huge favor by selling us this home and building it for us.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

They check thoroughly and inspect properly for possible damages or more extensive damage. They do an amazing job on inspection. Great job. They back all their services and supplies with a extended warranty. You're well covered with them and no hassle guarantee. Awesome. Best quality services and products. Very reliable services backed by a guarantee. One of the best available, can't ask for more. Top of the line services. Very valuable services for the price, well worth the money, should cost more than it does but that provides every customer a deep discount.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I found the inspection process to be very clear and straightforward. Everything went quite smooth. I was happy with all of the people I dealt with as well. I found that the terms of the warranty were clearly laid out and suited my needs quite well. It was all explained to me in clear terms that were easy for me to understand. I found them to be very reliable. They always showed up when they said they would. I never had to reschedule any appointments and was overall very satisfied with them. I consider that the quality of the service that I received was well worth the cost. I would say that all things considered they offered a great value.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The inspection process is clear as day. It's direct to the point and they give you detail that you know what you doing. The inspection is great and I like the process. The warranty is very unique and the process is very professional and warranty is the best out there. Would like to thank you for everything. The reliability is very good. They make sure that the process is clear and upfront. You won't have to worry about anything. The value is amazing and helped me out in so many ways. The value is the best thing offered by a company like this.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

It's very good. I love the inspection process mainly because it's suitable for homeowners and it keeps homeowners enact with things they can develop. The warranty is alright. I love how the warranty is set up in a way that I can stick by it to make sure that everything goes okay with the progress of keeping everything set. Reliability is good enough that I can truly put the trust and the thanks to those that gave an idea to put this into my mind to think about this thing to keep the house and everything intact. The value is marvelous in a way that I would like to thank that person for respecting their customers by adding a lot of potential into their determined workers.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

Very easy and hardly no time at all. The quality and the professional staff makes this part of the process really easy for you. They explain anything that goes on and you are never in doubt as to the proceedings for your new home. This is probably the best part of watching your home being built. The step by step that they take is something that they know you the customer will be proud of. They stand behind what they build. They will be there on the job on time every day it takes to make sure your home is built the way you want it to be built. I was very satisfied and would recommend them for your next new home. The value here is knowing you are getting your investment time and time again. Your peace of mind knowing that this new home is going to be yours for many happy years. They want you the customer to be 100% satisfied.

Original review: March 24, 2016

HORRIBLE customer service. Ruined the new home builder experience. You will be in for a fight no matter what issues need correction with your home. Management is disrespectful, will talk down to you in your own home (yes, this has happened to us), project managers will refuse to acknowledge visible problem and deny there is a problem. Our project manager refused to acknowledge documented issues even when he was onsite and could see the issue. He would simply say, "I am not fixing it".

Grading issues from day 1 and they refused to fix. Even the developer and excavator have acknowledged the issues and contacted Dan Ryan Builders, who refuse to help or even meet to discuss issues. I would never recommend Dan Ryan Builders. I would happily show anyone the problems we have had if only I could get someone to look. I would gladly post my address to have anyone come to see for themselves. Sooo much more to write, but I think the point has been made.

Original review: May 29, 2015

My husband and I purchased a new Dan Ryan townhome in December 2014. I was ensured that once the weather permitted, our lawn would be established to the back end of our property. I have been patient especially since we moved in in the winter. At this point, May 29th, the lawn around the building has been seeded and I have been caring for it. I have questioned 6 different people associated with this development concerning the rest of the lawn and have gotten multiple answers. My latest response has been that Dan Ryan is responsible for the rest of the lawn. I am currently awaiting a return call from a Dan Ryan employee. It is frustrating since I had been specifically told that it would be taken care of by Dan Ryan from the beginning. My advice to anyone considering buying a home from Dan Ryan is to get it in writing.

Original review: May 8, 2015

Last year we closed on a home built by Dan Ryan Builders in Morgantown, WV. We were informed that they would come back soon after closing to correct errors with our yard. A year later we are still waiting. There are gutter run offs from another home that are dumping onto our property that they constructed. They left construction debris on part of our property that still hasn't been moved even though they are aware of it. They did not put in any type of drainage to redirect water from our property into ditches therefore we have little pools of water all over our backyard. We literally have cattails growing in a corner of our yard and have tons of erosion. We have contacted them multiple times to correct these problems. We have yet to get a response or plan of action.

I am highly disappointed with this company. People pay hard earned money to build homes for their families in housing developments to NOT have these types of issues. They sell you on a finished product that does not exist. It's a take your money and run company that genuinely does not care about their customers. If I knew then what I know now I would take my money elsewhere.

Dan Ryan Builders expert review by Joseph Truini

Dan Ryan Builders is a privately owned, locally focused homebuilder that operates on the East Coast of the United States. It has been building homes for 25 years. Dan Ryan builds homes in six states: Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.​

• Provides energy-efficient homes: Buyers can purchase homes that save money by conserving energy and reducing the home’s carbon footprint.

• Realtor-friendly builder: Prospective homebuyers can bring their own real estate agent to consultations and negotiations.

• Consultants available: If you don’t have a real estate agent, you can consult with an agent provided by Dan Ryan Builders.

• Hardhat tours available: Prospective homebuyers can tour homes under construction to get a first-hand look at the quality, features and style that they can expect in their own home.

• Homes can be built quickly: Homebuyers can move in within three to five months of ordering their homes.

• Best for: Dan Ryan Builders is best for environmentalists, people with time constraints and budget-minded buyers.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Dan Ryan Builders questions and answers

What problem is Dan Ryan Builders trying to solve?
    Dan Ryan Builders provides energy efficient, well appointed, solidly constructed new homes in the best locations.
    What sets Dan Ryan Builders apart from the competition?
    We are a Top 25 Private Homebuilder and #39 on the Builder 100 list. Being privately held, we report to our customers and not Wall Street.
    What needs does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill, and how does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill those needs better than the competition?
    Dan Ryan Builders’ mission statement revolves around “Better Value, Better Living.” This means the best built homes, in the right locations, with the right included features at an affordable price. We use the best materials available such as Typar House Wrap, Weyerhaeuser Gold Sub-Flooring, we have 2x6 framed exterior walls and modern home designs.
    How does Dan Ryan Builders measure success?
    By our customer’s level of happiness. Currently 94% of our customers would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to a family member or friend.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dan Ryan Builders?
    That Value means lowest price. Value means the right combination of location, price, design and quality.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 years?
    The past five years, Dan Ryan Builders has grown organically while other builders have grown through acquisition or unfortunately, gone out of business. We believe that this is because Dan Ryan Builders cares a bit more about the customer experience, ensures a quality built home and has great locations and designs.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dan Ryan Builders?
    We are so confident in our quality of construction that we pay a 3rd party to quality inspect every Dan Ryan Builders home.
    Has Dan Ryan Builders received any rewards or recognition for its services that your customers would like to know about?
    We have received numerous awards for our home designs, quality of employees and philanthropic efforts. However, we have received the prestigious, “Builder of Integrity” award consecutively 2008-2014. This award is given to a select few builders based off a low number of dissatisfied customers and how the instance is handled quickly.
    How has Dan Ryan Builders grown?
    We’ve grown from building pre-dominantly in the Washington DC area to now building in 6 states: PA, MD, VA, VA, NC & SC and 10 markets. We additionally have added an extensive line up of Estate Homes and Single Level Living homes to our portfolio.

Dan Ryan Builders Company Information