Dan Ryan Builders

Dan Ryan Builders Reviews

Find a Best Home Builders partner
1.5(112)

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Dan Ryan Builders

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

• 15%
  • 15%
  • 70%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

Reviewed May 24, 2024

Disclaimer: I'm a 20+ year real estate broker, not a DRB buyer and, to date, none of my buyer clients have purchased DRB new construction. That being said, my experience has been that, with each builder, the subcontractors hired in each location have the biggest impact on a purchaser's satisfaction. So, X builder can have a considerable amount of terrible reviews in one city, and a can have a majority of positive reviews in a different city. Also, the on-site project managers factor in big. So I understand and appreciate how some people think/say Builder XYZ sucks because that was their experience! FYI - I checked the 'no' box regarding recommending to family/friends b/c there were no other options and the majority of feedback here was negative. So take this with a grain of salt, please.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed April 23, 2024

I would not recommend buying a home from them. My experience was great… until it wasn’t. The house is 4 years old… the HVAC already died and was told it was due to poor installation practices by 2 separate heating and air companies. The mold in the bathrooms is insane with very underpowered exhaust fans. Lights in the bathroom rusted because they were not proper fixtures for bathrooms. We were told pieces were ordered and would be sent to our house to be replaced, those parts never came. And their answer was “that’s not our problem”. Save your time and money and buy a home from another builder perhaps. I would not recommend a DRB home to another person in my life.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2024

Let me begin this review by stating that if I could give zero stars to the DRB Group on this review I would! I purchased a DRB Group home in May 2022. It is a townhouse in the Monte Vista community on Poinsett Highway. My wife and I squeezed everything we could to purchase the unit. By buying a new unit, we figured we would not have to shell out a great deal of money to fix anything. The other day I turned on our air conditioning for the first time this season and it did not work. I called out the company that installed the unit in 2022. Their name is SOTO HVAC. SOTO HVAC came out this past Tuesday and Wednesday and investigated the situation.

At the end of the investigation, SOTO HVAC told me that it was a worst case scenario for myself and my wife. They told me there is a leak somewhere in the wall between the ground level and the top of the attic. They say that a contractor probably inserted a nail that went through the copper pipe. But they have no idea where the leak is. They said we would have to cut out all the sheet rock from the ground up to the attic in order to find the leak. Upon hearing this, I immediately called the man that was our warranty guy when we purchased the unit. His name is Rodney **. I left Rodney a detailed message with my name and phone number twice. I explained that we were hoping they could give us some sort of financial assistance and get the AC fixed since our unit is only 22 months old.

After one week of not returning my call and not answering emails from SOTO HVAC Rodney ** says they’re not going do a thing and he says I’m threatening him. The nerve, arrogance and audacity of him to say I’m threatening him when I’m the one that bought a new townhouse 23 months ago and I don’t have any air-conditioning. I would read my review carefully folks and I would never never advise you to do any business with DRB homes, especially in Greenville and especially with this Warranty manager, Rodney ** and his boss. We are going to attempt to call the president of DRB group and explain the situation. But again there are so many good builders out there. You don’t need to settle for a bad one like DRB group. Do your homework, spend the money you need to go with a really good builder and skip DRB group. Do not buy your home from them ever..

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 14, 2024

Please do yourself a favor a steer clear. Bought our home 9 yrs ago. The first year we had so many issues with flooding, siding coming off, buckled wood floors, HVAC broken multiple time, had to pull up carpet because they didn't screw the flooring in!!! So many repeat issues that they extended my warranty an additional year. Fast forward to now. As we are fixing up the house I can seriously say idk how these houses stand and who the heck pays off the inspector!!! There are so many cracks because they nail corner beads into sheetrock, not the stud. I've had to add extra screws into sheetrock because the walls move when you push on them. Replaced microwave and the bracket to hold the microwave was not screwed into studs or used any toggles. Literally held up by 1 1/4 sheetrock screws only into the sheetrock. The list goes on. Please don't subject yourself to their horrible building spend the extra money and get a safer built home.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

I purchased my home in 2018. In 2019, I noticed water coming in below patio frame. I immediately called and put in a service request. They sent an incompetent guy to come out and seal the door with silicon. Next few months my floor turned pink with mildew. They hired and fired a contactor to come and replace floor with unmatched flooring and promised to come back out. Fast forward, the problem was only patched never fixed. Now, I am dealing with a mild/mold issue. I called and emailed, and nobody wants to take accountability that the issue was never listed within the 1st year mark.

Contract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023

We signed our contract with DRB in Dec 2022 and paid 50k as deposit. DRB waited for 10 days to counter sign saying some office reasons. They came back and took of incentive they gave of 27k after 10 days and asked us to walk out of the offer. DRB took advantage of our situation knowing how committed we are. I have never seen any builder changing the price after signing the contract they proposed to us. Very unprofessional and they play on your minds. Never trust DRB. They initially say a price then play with your emotions and raise the price later. This is in Hartland community Virginia.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2023

I dealt with Ms. Alexa ** from DRB in Raleigh, NC. I was planning to buy a house in Angier, NC and paid the deposit (30,000 USD) but before signing the contract, she increased the price a little in an unsjustified way. It was not much by the way, but I did not like this. So, I pulled out of the deal and asked for my deposit back. and this was the beginning of the nightmare. I waited for 45 days until they sent me the cheque. During this period, Alexa was not responding to 75% of my emails and when she responds, she does on some things totally irrelevant to my questions. Also, you will never catch her on phone as she always has an answer machine. She gave me and my agent hard time really. I should give DRB, Raleigh, NC a one star but I increased it to two stars because of a lady in DRB Head Quarters in Maryland. Her name is Kimberly **. This lady is amazing and she helped me continuously until I get my refund cheque, without even knowing me.

Thanks Kimberly, DRB should be proud to hire someone like you. My advice to DRB is keep hiring people like Kimberly. At the same time, DRB should create a video on the steps on how to buy a new house. I have bought many houses before but none of them was totally new, so I do not know how and when to choose the colors, layout,..etc. I was feeling lost. Alexa was sending me some pictures, I choose the one I like and the price, then she tells me the design is not available and the price increased a little. I have had a hard time to understand, then it comes the inflection point when she increased the price, so I decided to pull out. DRB should prepare a video with correct terminology they use and the steps a buyer will go through..etc. I hope this help after my two stars only.

CoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 13, 2023

It's no wonder they changed their name to DRB in an attempt to rebrand. We purchased our house on late 2022 and have had nothing but issues with it. The issues include, the yard, interior paint, counters, heat pump, siding, framing, floor covering. Pretty much everything. They state that their warranty will correct things, the only problem is that they send out the same "incompetent" people to fix the issue who were the original installers (who caused the problem) to begin with. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of this company. If you do get lured in by the affordability of their homes, please have 15-20k in reserve for handyman work, in order to correct the issues caused by this group. Also if you would like to reach out to me directly at **, I can give you another 100 reasons why I am never purchasing from Dan Ryan Builders again.

Coverage

Reviewed June 26, 2023

My daughter bought her home in 2020, since she moved in her AC has gone out 3 times They contacted Dan Ryan builders, since the house was newly built to have them come or send someone to repair it, only to be told it's not their problem, contact the manufacturer. Who, by the way, only has one company that can repair this equipment. The manufacturer told them the problem, but said they would have to cover the labor, which cost more than the part and the part was not cheap. They put a bandage on it, but that bandage keeps coming off.

Dan Ryan Builders, in good faith should be responsible for paying for the repair since they do claim to have a ten year warranty on they house. My daughter's family is not the only family in this neighborhood experiencing the same issue, yet Dan RyanBuilders turn a blind eye to it. Their only objective is to build and sell, make a huge profit and ignore the home owners after they get their money. Nothing but problems will you face if you buy Dan Ryan homes.

Coverage

Reviewed May 30, 2023

Closed 8/20. In Feb 21 I noticed exterior siding bulging. Back wall of basement covered in mold. HVAC not done correctly. 22 days in a hotel with their promise to pay. To get paid, I had to waive ALL future rights. Nope! Siding repaired 10+ times. The list goes on and on. Please stay away from this builder!

Dan Ryan Builders author review by Joseph Truini

Dan Ryan Builders is a privately owned, locally focused homebuilder that operates on the East Coast of the United States. It has been building homes for 25 years. Dan Ryan builds homes in six states: Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.​

• Provides energy-efficient homes: Buyers can purchase homes that save money by conserving energy and reducing the home’s carbon footprint.

• Realtor-friendly builder: Prospective homebuyers can bring their own real estate agent to consultations and negotiations.

• Consultants available: If you don’t have a real estate agent, you can consult with an agent provided by Dan Ryan Builders.

• Hardhat tours available: Prospective homebuyers can tour homes under construction to get a first-hand look at the quality, features and style that they can expect in their own home.

• Homes can be built quickly: Homebuyers can move in within three to five months of ordering their homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Dan Ryan Builders questions and answers

What problem is Dan Ryan Builders trying to solve?
      Dan Ryan Builders provides energy efficient, well appointed, solidly constructed new homes in the best locations.
      What sets Dan Ryan Builders apart from the competition?
      We are a Top 25 Private Homebuilder and #39 on the Builder 100 list. Being privately held, we report to our customers and not Wall Street.
      What needs does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill, and how does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill those needs better than the competition?
      Dan Ryan Builders’ mission statement revolves around “Better Value, Better Living.” This means the best built homes, in the right locations, with the right included features at an affordable price. We use the best materials available such as Typar House Wrap, Weyerhaeuser Gold Sub-Flooring, we have 2x6 framed exterior walls and modern home designs.
      How does Dan Ryan Builders measure success?
      By our customer’s level of happiness. Currently 94% of our customers would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to a family member or friend.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dan Ryan Builders?
      That Value means lowest price. Value means the right combination of location, price, design and quality.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 years?
      The past five years, Dan Ryan Builders has grown organically while other builders have grown through acquisition or unfortunately, gone out of business. We believe that this is because Dan Ryan Builders cares a bit more about the customer experience, ensures a quality built home and has great locations and designs.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dan Ryan Builders?
      We are so confident in our quality of construction that we pay a 3rd party to quality inspect every Dan Ryan Builders home.
      Has Dan Ryan Builders received any rewards or recognition for its services that your customers would like to know about?
      We have received numerous awards for our home designs, quality of employees and philanthropic efforts. However, we have received the prestigious, “Builder of Integrity” award consecutively 2008-2014. This award is given to a select few builders based off a low number of dissatisfied customers and how the instance is handled quickly.
      How has Dan Ryan Builders grown?
      We’ve grown from building pre-dominantly in the Washington DC area to now building in 6 states: PA, MD, VA, VA, NC & SC and 10 markets. We additionally have added an extensive line up of Estate Homes and Single Level Living homes to our portfolio.

Dan Ryan Builders Company Information