2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.94/5

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Dan Ryan Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 18, 2021

We purchased our home October 9 2020. Closing day we were told our refrigerator was damaged and a door replacement was reported/ordered. It became our responsibility to follow the entire situation through with a whirlpool vendor. The replacement refrigerator door arrived 8 weeks later (December) damaged again. we had to arrange ordering a new door. The replacement door arrived late February. Finally on March 8 2021 the replacement door was installed approximately 6 month later. Our yard has been an issue from day 1 also. The grading of the yard is horrible leaving large amounts settling water in the yard. We have been complaining with pictures included. This was a problem with installing our fence because the ground was so saturated with water. In the meantime the builders working on a new build next to us damaged the yard trying to get a bulldozer from being stuck.

We were asked to wait for repairs after the home next door was completely built. This was then a issue with installing our fence. The home moved into about 2 week ago still no repair, but house next door that we were waiting on is beautiful to include the yard. After being in communication with Matt **, Richard **, Kevin ** and Susan ** I’ve gotten nothing but the run around. I am beyond frustrated! Contacted answering service for Dan Ryan. requested a call from Corporate office to speak with someone other than the above mentioned. $500,000 for this! I applaud. I don’t recommend this builder. However, I will continue to contact Dan Ryan until these warranty issues are resolved. I plan to Picket at the model home in my neighborhood so that other buyers are aware.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thanks for sharing your concerns. The replacement of your refrigerator door was impacted by factory closures & supply issues due to COVID 19. We’re pleased that this has been resolved. We inspected your yard & found that it was graded correctly with adequate drainage. The deck & ramp you added after closing altered the grading & caused the water drainage concerns you’re experiencing. Our warranty team will contact you shortly about the grading on the side of your home. Stay well!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 15, 2021

It has been a terrible experience. Poor quality workmanship. Was mislead regarding lot. Deposit was offered back but the cost of home had already increased. I could not afford to back out. No other option was offered. After complaint was made to home office I think the workmanship decreased even more.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Buyer feedback is important to us and we take it seriously. Please report any warranty related concerns you may have with your home to our Warranty Department either by phone at 843-820-2506 or via email at danryanchas@answercarolina.com and we will contact you directly. Stay well!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

They got us to sign that contract fast which was great because they told us 6-7 months and we’d be in our new home. We were told they would get all the signatures on their end in 2-3 days, well that took about 3 weeks!! We were told we’d go to the design center in a week or two and that ended up being 2 months!

We started all of this back in October 2020 and were told even in December they should break ground in early-mid January. Finally we had our pre-construction meeting on Jan 18th where the project manager told us they’d start breaking ground in a week or 2. Two weeks go by and then he tells us we’re 4th in line and they'll start in about a week.

Well here were are March 1st and we're just told there is still 3 more houses to do before ours so ours won’t start until next week!! Wth!!!! This all started back in October and here we are in March and still nothing. They act like they will be easy to contact but this whole time it takes forever for someone to respond. Feels like they have been ** us around from the get-go. After all the upgrades we are spending $460,000 on the house and have had the worst experience. Don’t believe a word they say!!

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thank you contacting us about your concerns and for taking time to talk with us in more detail today. We will provide regular updates and consistent communication as discussed. Please contact us directly with any other questions. We appreciate you choosing Dan Ryan Builders for your new home. Stay well!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

This company I was so excited to buy one of their home due to their designs but their customer service and sales department are very unprofessional. I had to bite my tongue on many occasions dealing with these people. Try buying a 300k house and have people rude to you like you not supposed to ask questions or be treated with respect. I'm so glad I'm done with these people!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I had to have a plumber come out and they said the pipes were not installed properly so now I have a backup & I have to get new pipes installed for $800; 1st in basement & now in the kitchen!! WTH UGH.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thanks for sharing your concern, Arhlene. We take all feedback seriously and appreciate you reaching out. We have attempted to contact you and look forward to hearing back so that we can discuss your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

We started in Oct. talking to one of Dan Ryan's Agents, about building a house for my Mother. Dec.1 my Mom arrived to see the finishes, we were told to just pick any one to get a price. We were told we could go to the Design Center to choose finishes. When we tried to make a appointment at the Design Center nobody would call me back, a Week went by. So I finally called The Regional Office. Two days later, someone finally called me to tell me that you have to have a signed contract with them to even get to go over to the Design Center to see what is available. This was for a 300,000 house, everything we asked for was "AN UPGRADE".

We wasted months on trying to buy a house and we could not even see what we were buying, or find out how much it cost! The Kicker is that in the Contract they can change your choices and you can't do anything about it. I wonder if Dan Ryan even Knows or Cares about the People who are Affected by all of this! My Mother has to start all over with someone else, I feel like we Dodged A Bullet. This is Bad Business all the way around!

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. At Dan Ryan Builders, we value our customers. Our process is designed to give our buyers flexibility in personalizing their home, while maintaining an efficient, affordable building process. This means strong value and a personalized home. Many of our competitors can’t offer this. We will contact you to talk about a process that’s more comfortable for you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Do not use Dan Ryan as a builder if you value quality in your home & working with a builder who will be reliable, trustworthy & still express concern for your issue even after you buy your property. I just moved into the neighborhood right next to this one & within 3 months I have multiple leaking, mildew & other plumbing issues that are still not fully resolved. Upon speaking to other members of the community, going to their reviews & complaints I realized I was not the only one having issues within a short period of time from moving in. DRB will do the bare minimum when it comes to quality & things needed for your home, they cut corners. I literally had the director of warranty tell me, "We could have done something as you requested but we didn’t."

This was in regard to my backyard being extended (leveled & sod placed) closer to my property line. They cut my yard almost in half due to forest conservation area my house backs to. I requested several times for my yard to be extended & they told me that they would check with the county because the county regulates it & if they say it’s ok then they can extend it. They eventually told me that county said no & I could call them for myself. Well I did after seeing my neighbor's yard extended which was an alter to the initial site plan & then I continued to see all of my other neighbor's yards extended as well. My yard facing the same forest conservation area was the only lot not extended!

When I contacted the county myself, they told me they were familiar with my lot & neighbors & there is no reason why my lot couldn’t & still cannot be extended by DRB. They sent an email also detailing that my LOD signage was not even in the right location & it should have been back further to my property line. They also mentioned that no one from DRB contacted them in regard to my property. DRB’s associates are liars & scammers. I have talked to multiple leadership personnel & they are still not handling the situation or acknowledging that their employee lied & my yard could have been extended during building as I requested & on top of that every yard on my same row is extended except mine!

There is no way that that was the initial site plan & they followed it. If so I want to know why my lot is the only lot on the site plan that is not extended. Even if they claim they are following the site plan they still did not because my yard is still some feet short from the original placement of signage & LOD (which is wrong anyway according to county). Therefore DRB didn’t meet the requirements as they keep claiming or my request.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I would echo what Kim from Butler said. Except we have been at this 3 months longer then her and our house is even further behind. We signed our deal in August 2019. We are currently being told September 2020 for a finish yet at the beginning we were told 6-7 months. Never did we think it would be over a year. We went through the same process of getting no response from the old project manager to eventually find they hired a new one. Nothing was done on our property from November until April. Then they got shut down for COVID. We now have a shell and roof and nothing more. No one except Michael will respond to you. Upper management doesn't give two craps about you as long as they have your deposit. Do your research and go elsewhere. Never enter a deal with them again.

Dan Ryan Builders response
      Thank you for contacting us. Our Team has spoken to you this week to discuss and address your concerns. A member of our Team will reach out to you to provide an update and answer any questions you may have.

Original review: May 21, 2020

Dan Ryan Builders are great at marketing and selling you on their home designs. As we proceeded forward, we were happy and excited. Dan Ryan Builders was good about setting up the appointments and moving quickly. We found out that there are a lot of hidden costs that is very deceiving in their marketing plan. The house plans does not include standard items such as lights, knobs for the kitchen cabinets, etc.. We added approximately 30K+ to make our supposed to be "Dream Home" complete. As time moved on the items that were promised turned out to be "Red Tape" and we had to fight to get what was marketed and promised. (8' island promised, became a 4' island...one example) Despite all the frustration, we still tried to make the best of it.

Groundbreaking day we drove across a few states again (we are not local to the area) to look at the foundation and concrete pour to find that the foundation was completely messed up and not what was discussed. The team did not have the site plan with them during the dig meeting but assured us that it will be beautiful and perfect. Exactly what we wanted and discussed. My wife and I raised the concerns again to the team, and I was asked to contact the project manager and the executive of sales. The project manager essentially stated to me over the phone "tough **, I am doing it my way" and the executive of sales BS'd with me for 45 minutes to just try and smooth it over.

I had flagged this issue to my bank to ensure that they were aware of what was going on as I was pending approval to pull out of the contract. Two days later I received a call from the bank stating that Dan Ryan Builders was trying to get a copy of my Mortgage approval letter. The bank would not release it to them without my approval, as I was not fully locked into the contract. Two days later I received an email from Dan Ryan Builders asking if I still wanted to be released from their contract. (They had another buyer.) I stated yes, and found a house for 29K cheaper, brand new, already built with ALL of the upgrades and practically the same size. This experience rapidly went from being a great experience into a nightmare. I would NEVER recommend Dan Ryan Builders to anyone.

Resolution response: May 5, 2020

Update as of 5/5

Although my story and feelings haven’t changed, we heard back from the project manager and were given a timeline for completion, and work as resumed, so we’re happy with that.

Original review: May 2, 2020

UPDATE 8/22/2020

I’m adding to my review I left here on May 2nd. We never, never, never, should have gone with this company. After talking with several other people in our plan that worked with Dan Ryan over the last year and a half, it’s the EXACT same story all around. Your home will not be built within the time frame they tell you. We are now TEN months into our 6 month build and STILL no closing date. Not only are we paying several extra months worth of rent due to their lackadaisical attitude, but school is starting and I now have to transport my children to and from school ( while trying to work it around my work schedule) for heaven knows how long because my children had to switch schools due to the move. Dan Ryan takes on more homes than they can handle and it trickles down to us consumers AND a the people we hire to do additional work after. We have had to push back painters and a deck builder last minute because we were told we’d be moving in by a certain date and then not until we ASK do we get told another tentative date. If this just happened with other home buyers on our plan within the last couple of months, we could certainly blame Covid-19, but NOT when it’s everyone from the last almost 2 years. They do nothing but screw with your lives and their word means nothing. We have lost so much money going with this builder that it’s disgusting. If we didn’t love our home so much, and the wonderful neighbors in our community, we would be backing out and telling them to shove their half built house where the son doesn’t shine. DO NOT BUILD WITH THEM. You will regret it. PS. Apparently it’s somewhere very small on the massive contract that they have up to 2 years to get you into your home. I did not find this verbiage, but someone else who dealt with them did. I think it’s time to call our attorney.

My fiancé and I decided to build a house with DRB. The sales manager Michael was and still is absolutely incredible and he’s the ONLY reason we are not asking for our money back yet. He has gone above and beyond for us and we appreciate him so much! Now for the story: We put down the 5,000 and put our homes on the market. We sold both of our homes and had our contingencies lifted in November, so it was time to build our dream home and start our lives together. We had our pre-construction meeting in November and we’re told ground breaking would be in the next week. December comes. Nothing started. Then comes January. Nothing. We contacted the project manager numerous times, never getting a response. We’d see him at the site working on other homes and he‘d say “oh we’re getting to it soon!” Then comes February. NOTHING. By this point we’re livid and have had enough.

We had already signed a 6 month lease for a temporary apartment for us and my 2 children, And we're told we could expect to move in before the end of June. So we threaten to walk and get our 5 grand back. We are told they changed project managers and this new guy is supposed to be amazing. So, we decide to hang on and give him a chance. All of February goes by and FINALLY on Feb 24th we break ground, 3 months behind. They work for 3 weeks and then boom, covid-19 hits. We had no idea what was happening. We reached out to the new project manager numerous times and never heard back. Michael the sales manager tried to find out everything he could and put up with our nuttiness more times than I could count. We felt bad constantly texting and calling to find out what’s happening, but when we’re giving them 336,000 for a house, we deserve to know what’s up.

Come May 1st the restrictions Are lifted and they are able to begin working again. We drive by our foundation only to see nothing being down, but other houses in the plan are getting worked on. We understand covid put everyone behind and that is not their fault. But what about the other 3 months we were given the run around? We have spoken with higher ups and DRB and have explained that come the end of July, we will be homeless due to our lease being up.

All DRB cares about is the bottom line. I should have done my research before going with them because had I seen all the negative reviews or talked with others in the community who had built with them, we would have walked away. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. 6 months into our build and instead of having a house or at least close to one, we have a hole in the ground with not even a basement floor. Shame on you. And shame on us for not doing our research! If something doesn’t give soon, we’ll be requesting our money back and taking it somewhere else. PS, it is May 2nd and we have YET to hear back from our project manager. It’s been months.

Dan Ryan Builders author review by Joseph Truini

Dan Ryan Builders is a privately owned, locally focused homebuilder that operates on the East Coast of the United States. It has been building homes for 25 years. Dan Ryan builds homes in six states: Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.​

• Provides energy-efficient homes: Buyers can purchase homes that save money by conserving energy and reducing the home’s carbon footprint.

• Realtor-friendly builder: Prospective homebuyers can bring their own real estate agent to consultations and negotiations.

• Consultants available: If you don’t have a real estate agent, you can consult with an agent provided by Dan Ryan Builders.

• Hardhat tours available: Prospective homebuyers can tour homes under construction to get a first-hand look at the quality, features and style that they can expect in their own home.

• Homes can be built quickly: Homebuyers can move in within three to five months of ordering their homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Dan Ryan Builders questions and answers

What problem is Dan Ryan Builders trying to solve?
      Dan Ryan Builders provides energy efficient, well appointed, solidly constructed new homes in the best locations.
      What sets Dan Ryan Builders apart from the competition?
      We are a Top 25 Private Homebuilder and #39 on the Builder 100 list. Being privately held, we report to our customers and not Wall Street.
      What needs does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill, and how does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill those needs better than the competition?
      Dan Ryan Builders’ mission statement revolves around “Better Value, Better Living.” This means the best built homes, in the right locations, with the right included features at an affordable price. We use the best materials available such as Typar House Wrap, Weyerhaeuser Gold Sub-Flooring, we have 2x6 framed exterior walls and modern home designs.
      How does Dan Ryan Builders measure success?
      By our customer’s level of happiness. Currently 94% of our customers would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to a family member or friend.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dan Ryan Builders?
      That Value means lowest price. Value means the right combination of location, price, design and quality.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 years?
      The past five years, Dan Ryan Builders has grown organically while other builders have grown through acquisition or unfortunately, gone out of business. We believe that this is because Dan Ryan Builders cares a bit more about the customer experience, ensures a quality built home and has great locations and designs.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dan Ryan Builders?
      We are so confident in our quality of construction that we pay a 3rd party to quality inspect every Dan Ryan Builders home.
      Has Dan Ryan Builders received any rewards or recognition for its services that your customers would like to know about?
      We have received numerous awards for our home designs, quality of employees and philanthropic efforts. However, we have received the prestigious, “Builder of Integrity” award consecutively 2008-2014. This award is given to a select few builders based off a low number of dissatisfied customers and how the instance is handled quickly.
      How has Dan Ryan Builders grown?
      We’ve grown from building pre-dominantly in the Washington DC area to now building in 6 states: PA, MD, VA, VA, NC & SC and 10 markets. We additionally have added an extensive line up of Estate Homes and Single Level Living homes to our portfolio.

Dan Ryan Builders Company Information