1.8/5 (93 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Dan Ryan Builders

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Dan Ryan Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dan Ryan Builders?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have attempted twice to purchase a new home from Dan Ryan Builders in SC in the past 2 years, as I have been looking to relocate from Central Florida. However, to say my experiences have been quite negative is speaking lightly. My first time over a year ago we spoke to Tim Dunham, along with several others. and much of the info I requested came with some degree of effort.

In the end, I asked that the front hall (which had a nice room just as you entered the townhome) completely open have a non-load bearing wall added wall for privacy and a door. The rep said this would cost something $870 at the time, which I had no problem with. He said he would let me know before we would contract for the home in the Tiger Ridge Community in Moore. However, several days later we talked and he said the plans had been submitted and no changes would be allowed. Seemed vague, but we decided to move on and seek something else.

Just recently my wife and I have discussed and researched the new community in Boiling Springs which seems to have nice townhomes, and I spoke with David **. I asked David about the homes and planned a trip up there the following Thursday, from which I just returned. David said the deposit to contracts ‘he lowered’ as he felt what was usually asked for was high, and also that he had homes under construction. We were interested in the Summit, with a few extras. He indicated this could be done, and we discussed other details. However, when I arrived as we planned Friday, 2/25, David showed me several townhomes that were under construction but said he had to ‘discuss the base pricing’ where previously he told me he would let me know if that $259,995 for the 1 car garage Summit would change.

I travelled up there, and he answered a number of questions, but said ‘we had to talk about the pricing for the Summit’. He said there is a price increase of $8,000 effective 3/2, but he only offered to sell several homes already under construction. However, as it turned out, some had options and features we did not want, and only 2 homes were in our pricing range. He had told me that ‘since we own our home outright with no mortgage, I might need to get another mortgage and work with a gentleman’ whose card he gave me. Also, he said any options the working home on the lot we looked at were already ‘submitted’ and no changes could be made. I said we had a price we wish to stay with, around $275k.

When he looked at the home on lot 3 in Peachtree Townes it came to $280,990. Several options we didn’t even want, but he stated they could not be changed! So, I looked things over, but when I compared the options with what is included in the Summit, it became apparent I was being changed for numerous options the home showed were already included! The total came to about $12,000 more than we had planned. And he never discussed the options that ‘the home had been submitted with’, but he also said the home required a $10,000 deposit and ‘proof of funds to pay for it!

My home in Florida will sell for over $300k, and we hold the deed. This came as a surprise but I am getting interest on money in my account where this would come from. Then he suggested a ‘mortgage’, which I do not want as we are retired and don’t want another such payment! I have excellent credit and purchased a new car a few years ago, which the Honda dealer actually informed me we were over 800 score, and we gave them no money but drove it home!

David told me that the Summit would increase on Tuesday, 3/1, but the increase in cost to me for the only home near our budget (about $272k) was, in fact, about the same 8k we talked about! We had no issue with the several options we wanted, but no other offer was made of a home based at $259,990. He stated the home would soon be $269,990 and actually was changed on the website already! However, the attached screenshots taken on Saturday pm, 2/26 (note the top date/time stamp) clearly show the home is/was still based at $259,990! He had likely added the ‘included options’ and others we didn’t want to make the pricing difference!

I hate being deceived, which is what David seems to have done! I have been in high end sales of radio time and major appliances for years, and this was a major deception! The home was the same pricing in spite of the fact he DID tell me it had already posted on the web at the higher pricing, which he stated was now $269,990!

The bottom line is we are very disappointed and have wasted much time and expense trying to buy from Dan Ryan. This story will be told to others we know and posted where they may benefit from wasting their time and effort as well! Dan Ryan management needs to tell their people to be more informative and HONEST!

Mark **

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

We closed on our Dan Ryan home in May 2021 with front porch columns that were incorrect. We were promised this would be fixed - it's February 2022 and even with emails and calls to Dan Ryan Management nothing has been done about it. They just don't care. My advice is don't close until EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) is PERFECT because their warranty department could care less about you.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Our records indicate that our team contacted you last week regarding your home. Be well.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

We put down a sizable deposit on a build with Dan Ryan. The first day of construction, we noticed cut corners. We’d had a bad experience with a builder before, so we stopped by the site daily to check on things. We found that the workers were drinking on the job, many were illegal and didn’t speak English, and they employed children to do construction. We were told that these things would be addressed, but they weren’t. Before closing, we had 5 walk-throughs. There were crooked walls, leaks that had been obvious for weeks, Columns on the front of the house that hadn’t been placed properly, the stairs weren’t properly screwed down, a glass backsplash with noticeable cracks in it, and the septic system was placed all throughout the yard. We’d asked that it be put in a certain location for us to be able to put in a pool.

There were many meeting with a string of production managers who had come and gone in the 8 months during our construction. On the 5th walk-through, we were threatened to take the home as is or they’d sell it out from under us and take our deposit. We were trapped! This is a horrible company and they should be run out of business! They’re counterpart, Ryan Builders, has much better reviews and they even stink. Don’t buy or build from these people!!!!

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our goal is to provide every customer a quality home and great home buying experience before and after their home is complete. Since we are unable to locate your records from the information on your post, please contact us directly at GreenvilleWarranty@DRBgroup.com (866) 744-4034 to discuss your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I am currently in the process of buying/building a new construction townhouse bin Strabane Manor, Washington Pa. We signed the contract in March. We were lured in with a completion date of July 31st, and was reassured this would happen. So, we got financing started. Next it was picked back until mid August, then mid September, then October 1rst and now who knows. We have had to do financing 3 times because of the constant changes. Now we will have to do it again. With the reassurance of October 1rst, we put our house on the market and have to be out by November 4th. We are renting our current house from the new owner of our house at our own expense. This is ridiculous. We have been lied to over and over. Then when I try to call and voice my concern, you can not get a hold of anyone. I am at the end of my rope. We are going to be over 3 months behind.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Recently found a major leak in my walls. Upon a engineer's review and report this leak had been happening for years. Either from the time the home was built or when Dan Ryan came back in 2019 and replaced a piece of flashing at my house. I can not get ahold of anyone via phone or email. Insurance will not pay to fix wall and I am out of pocket thousands of dollars. This should have never happened and is work done poorly.

Dan Ryan Builders response

We appreciate you reaching out, however, your home was not built by Dan Ryan Builders. Stay well.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

We own a townhouse in Briar Run, Ranson WV. We are happy customers as DRB honored its commitment to warranty repairs. Kudos for WestWarranty@DRBgroup. We have a lot of respect for the manner you treated us and ultimately solved our problems. The attention DRB West paid to our needs made us connect better with the new house and the new place. It is important how you start the ownership. It is the time when you feel vulnerable and fight the adaptation process. The positive interaction made us feel rooted in the right place!! Good job Kevin, Susan & comp. Thanks again.

George and Ina O

Briar Run Ranson

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I closed and moved into my Townhome at Paddler's Cove in Jan of 2021. First and foremost, you are basically lied to during the sales process. I was going through a divorce and needed to find somewhere for my children and I to live and this was neighborhood I was so desperate to move into, for various reasons.

I knew I wanted an end unit, a Salisbury, just like the model home. With that being said, I understand that you will not get the model home. I was told you were not even able to pay to upgrade anything in the home, that you're buying. I wanted to fireplace and the open oven range, as seen in the model home and honestly, what sold me on these townhomes. I was told they did not "pre sell" any lots or homes but that they were all sold out. Makes sense, right? No.

So at a moment's notice, after my realtor had been bugging them, I got a call from the realtor saying they had an end unit "fall through" and if I wanted it, we'd have to come in and sign a contract, that day. With us being told that we basically had no other options if we wanted to move in here, we jumped at the opportunity, gave them a deposit check and signed a contract. There was no fireplace or open oven range because the sales manager stated "we are no longer putting them in and that was considered an upgrade." Since then, ALL all of the end units have both of them. I am disappointed that my first home buying experience went this way, not to mention the leak I've had in my shower that started a week after moving in. They have come out multiple times to "look" at it. It's now August and nothing has been fixed.

I have a magnitude of things needing to be fixed and I have a feeling they are pushing things off so the year warranty passes. I want to talk to someone who can make this right but getting someone who actually cares and wants to help is impossible. DO NOT GO WITH DAN RYAN BUILDERS, they throw their homes up and then don't want to help you in any way afterwards. They are just about the money and could care less about the families moving into them. It's so sad and unfortunate. I would've waited and found the perfect home if I knew what I was getting into.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Dan Ryan Builders offers communities with a variety of home plans & selection choices. Some communities offer a high degree of choice & in others our professional Designers make selections prior to offering the home for sale. This results in the best value to the customer & minimizes the effects of Covid related material and supply shortages. Paddlers Cove is a community that has pre-selected structural and design options. We will contact you again regarding the open items you have mentioned.

Original review: July 22, 2021

I’m so thankful to have found this review board. It lets me know I’m not alone in my experiences and frustrations with DRB. From the beginning of construction there have been inconsistencies with communication along with DRB’s inability to deliver what we signed and paid for. Wish I could go into more detail right now, but DRB’s lack of integrity and transparency start from the division president and trickle down from there. It would seem like buying and building a house would be a process where no shortcuts would be taken, but that has not been the case. And trying to get real help or even getting them to own their mistakes and provide productive resolutions has been impossible and frustrating beyond belief. You all are giving great insight on what to watch for as my home nears completion.

As the consumer in this interaction, we’re not afforded the luxury of being less than perfect with our delivery of funds. So it’s a shame that DRB refuses to hold themselves accountable to that same “no less than perfect” standard. My hope is that those with the authority to make changes and do better to honor their consumers will have a change of heart and do the right thing.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We take feedback seriously and reached out to you privately for more details so we could direct your comments to the proper person. Since we haven’t heard from you, we are unable to take any further steps at this time. Stay well!

Original review: June 25, 2021

If you are looking to purchase in the Broadview Estates plan in New Stanton, PA - BEWARE! There are three high pressure natural gas transmission lines that run through the plan, underground. Each line carrying up to 1100 psi of natural gas. The lines were placed in 1952. The same lines erupted in Salem Township (same county - same set of lines) as a result of corrosion. Check it out for yourselves. All properties are within 1/4 mile of any section of these lines. Some right on top of the right-of-way. **

I have called Dan Ryan Builders and the sales team for Broadview Estates. They claim they are unaware of these lines. They know of the presence of these lines, but claim they don't, or are not allowing the sales team to know. These $370 - $400K properties are dangerous to build upon. Assuming that does not concern a potential buyer, figure this - anyone with these lines under their property, or within 50 feet of them, you can't do anything with your yard. AND, after density becomes higher within the area, Texas Eastern, operated by Enbridge has to come through and update the lines which means destroying yards, roads, landscaping, etc. I give one star because this property should not be developed, and because there is no option for zero stars. This developer should be ashamed for trying to profit by selling ticking time bombs. All things man-made have a finite number of uses.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thanks for sharing your feedback. None of our homes in Broadview Estates will be built on a natural gas transmission line or within the 100’ wide easement area for same. Please note that Dan Ryan Builders is not the developer of Broadview Estates, and that Broadview Estates has been approved by the Borough of New Stanton. While we appreciate you sharing your concern, this post seems aimed at making inflammatory statements to negatively influence others’ opinions of Dan Ryan Builders. Stay well.

Original review: June 22, 2021

We bought our home in October 2020, after months of delay! I told them I am pregnant and would like to move in before the baby gets here, did they care, nope! Can you imagine moving and a newborn baby! From the day we have moved in we have faced issues, nonstop. The flooring is the worst. Creaks, gaps, all of it! It is like we are in an 80 year old home! Everywhere you step makes a sound. We have been dealing with "repairs" since we moved and all it does is waste our time and makes the flooring worse off. It has been a nightmare, a complete nightmare. The project manager is unprofessional and does not oversee the contractors! We are so devastated and frustrated but no one at Dan Ryan cares because they took our money and don't care about giving us a decent home.

Dan Ryan Builders response

Thank you for sharing your concerns. The delivery date of your home was affected by COVID issues which were out of our control. Since that time, our team has made multiple visits to your home to address your concerns. We take feedback from our buyers seriously and ask that you contact our warranty department for any new outstanding items. You’ll find that information on our website under Contact Us. Stay well!

Dan Ryan Builders author review by Joseph Truini

Dan Ryan Builders is a privately owned, locally focused homebuilder that operates on the East Coast of the United States. It has been building homes for 25 years. Dan Ryan builds homes in six states: Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.​

• Provides energy-efficient homes: Buyers can purchase homes that save money by conserving energy and reducing the home’s carbon footprint.

• Realtor-friendly builder: Prospective homebuyers can bring their own real estate agent to consultations and negotiations.

• Consultants available: If you don’t have a real estate agent, you can consult with an agent provided by Dan Ryan Builders.

• Hardhat tours available: Prospective homebuyers can tour homes under construction to get a first-hand look at the quality, features and style that they can expect in their own home.

• Homes can be built quickly: Homebuyers can move in within three to five months of ordering their homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Advisor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Dan Ryan Builders questions and answers

What problem is Dan Ryan Builders trying to solve?
    Dan Ryan Builders provides energy efficient, well appointed, solidly constructed new homes in the best locations.
    What sets Dan Ryan Builders apart from the competition?
    We are a Top 25 Private Homebuilder and #39 on the Builder 100 list. Being privately held, we report to our customers and not Wall Street.
    What needs does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill, and how does Dan Ryan Builders fulfill those needs better than the competition?
    Dan Ryan Builders’ mission statement revolves around “Better Value, Better Living.” This means the best built homes, in the right locations, with the right included features at an affordable price. We use the best materials available such as Typar House Wrap, Weyerhaeuser Gold Sub-Flooring, we have 2x6 framed exterior walls and modern home designs.
    How does Dan Ryan Builders measure success?
    By our customer’s level of happiness. Currently 94% of our customers would recommend Dan Ryan Builders to a family member or friend.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Dan Ryan Builders?
    That Value means lowest price. Value means the right combination of location, price, design and quality.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 years?
    The past five years, Dan Ryan Builders has grown organically while other builders have grown through acquisition or unfortunately, gone out of business. We believe that this is because Dan Ryan Builders cares a bit more about the customer experience, ensures a quality built home and has great locations and designs.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dan Ryan Builders?
    We are so confident in our quality of construction that we pay a 3rd party to quality inspect every Dan Ryan Builders home.
    Has Dan Ryan Builders received any rewards or recognition for its services that your customers would like to know about?
    We have received numerous awards for our home designs, quality of employees and philanthropic efforts. However, we have received the prestigious, “Builder of Integrity” award consecutively 2008-2014. This award is given to a select few builders based off a low number of dissatisfied customers and how the instance is handled quickly.
    How has Dan Ryan Builders grown?
    We’ve grown from building pre-dominantly in the Washington DC area to now building in 6 states: PA, MD, VA, VA, NC & SC and 10 markets. We additionally have added an extensive line up of Estate Homes and Single Level Living homes to our portfolio.

Dan Ryan Builders Company Information