Lino Lakes, MN

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Custom Remodelers Reviews

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

We have done a lot of work with Cri and they have always been amazing! We have done work at our old home and new home. Roof, windows, doors all amazing! Sales and customer service is great. Also anytime we've had questions or an issue they've always been super quick to help or remedy any situation.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Installers were very professional and friendly. Was very happy with my heating and cooling bills once I put in all the new windows. My house is one of the nicest looking houses on the block. My CRI siding and Soffit are beautiful....

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Quite nice job on the roof replacement. CRI installed a 50 year warranty GAF roofing system on our house. The job was done in an 8 hour day including cleanup. Only a couple of nails found on the ground over the next couple weeks. All in all CRI was great to deal with. The transferable warranty is a great feature.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I had someone come to my house to give me an estimate on replacing 7 windows. After a long speech on how good their company was and how good their windows were and how their PVC "Pure Vinyl Core" (not Poly Vinyl Chloride) material was better than other vinyl windows, the windows were measured and the options I wanted were discussed. The first estimate was around $16,000. Then a military discount was applied bringing it down to $14,000. Then another discount was applied when I still wouldn't sign because this was my first estimator and I wanted to contact other window companies to see what else was available and the price was brought down to $12,000 if I would sign right now and give them permission to put a sign in my yard when they were doing the work. I said I don't do business that way and wanted to get other estimates and don't do "now or never" bids.

I did ask him to leave me his card so I could contact him after I had contacted others if I felt CLR would be a good choice. He gave me his card with $8,500 written on it. I asked him what that figure was for and I was told that if I signed right now and gave permission for him to take before and after pictures and to have a sign put in my yard advertising CLR while the work was being done, I could get the windows for that price. I told him I was shocked that the price for the windows had gone from $16,000 to $8,500. While he was filling out the paperwork, I called my son who works for a company that does similar work. He, too, was shocked and concerned about a company that cut their bid price in half. He said he would be skeptical about the company, but thought the price could be in the ball park depending on the window sizes and quality.

The original bid price was way too high. I did, however, sign a contract to purchase the windows and wrote a check for $1,700 as 20% down payment. After thinking about it and going out to eat and talking with another son of mine about this, I had buyer's remorse and planned to exercise my right to cancel within 3 days.

Arriving home, the salesman was parked in my driveway. He said he was taking some more pictures. I told him I wanted to cancel. He asked why, and I told him I had buyer's remorse and didn't like being pressured into making a now or never decision and was uncomfortable with the drastic drop in price that was made to get me to buy. He started to argue with me and I got angry and told him to just give me my check back and tear up the contract. He told me he had already delivered the check and paperwork to his boss and I needed to mail the cancellation notice in. VERY HIGH PRESSURE SALES; TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT "DEALS"; DON'T KNOW HOW LOW THEY WILL GO.

Original review: May 23, 2019

TL;DR: After dealing with a 6 month window install through Custom Remodelers, I would not recommend Custom Remodelers to anyone due to their dismal (non-existent) communication and shoddy workmanship of their contractors. We went through Custom Remodelers for new windows on our home. While we are pleased with the quality of the windows themselves (the only reason they're getting 2 stars), the install and customer service have been nothing but a nightmare. The install began in January of 2019 and as I write this our windows have STILL not passed inspection through the city (they have failed 3 times now).

Weston was a decent sales guy, but has been dismal with communication - along with the rest of their home office. We have been trying to get him out to see the finished product since on the exterior it truly looks like crap (clear caulk everywhere that I am fairly certain I could do a better job with) and see if the situation can be remedied but he has been a no-show twice, which is extremely frustrating when we have to reschedule our workday to be home.

Their contractors were also frustrating to work with. Now, starting a window replacement job in January in Minnesota we were flexible and understanding when some days work just could not be done due to weather. But once the job was finally almost done, with less than a full day's work left (windows all installed, just the exterior casing and caulking needed to be done) the contractor we were working with says he's not going to come back tomorrow (on a day that was forecasted to be 40 degrees in February) and instead go get started on another job and he'll be back "sometime next week."

He comes back and *shocker* the February weather is less than ideal to be outside bending metal. Again, I get it, but the contractor then informs me that since he wasn't able to get it done before he went on a 3 week vacation, someone else was going to have to come out and complete the job. As mentioned above, the next contractor, who did the exterior, did a really poor job. It looks so bad (photos attached.) They also left shards of metal around our yard and nails all over our home from removing the windows - grateful a nail or piece of metal didn't end up in a foot or paw.

In addition to the shoddy craftsmanship complaints of the contractor's work, there was also really poor communication with them. They would show up whenever was convenient for them, not us, the customer who is paying upwards of $10k for new windows. However, I will say they were all nice guys whose overall knowledge saved us from ice dams this winter. IN CONCLUSION: We're pretty annoyed we chose them for such an investment on our home and hope that nothing goes wrong with the windows because I truly don't want to interact with this company again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Custom Remodelers?

Original review: May 7, 2019

We had old asbestos siding removed and new vinyl siding put on. The siding quality seems very good and looks great! It is a wider lap (height) than most other siding and very few seams are visible. The workers were very meticulous in cutting all of the corners and edges. Everything looks very professionally installed! They were very neat and cleaned up everything when finished.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

After agreeing to have a quote done to look at replacing six old windows I agreed to have them replace them. I was told they would be triple pane gas windows... I got double pane windows. The removal was done very rough which cracked my walls in two locations. They cut the opening too big leaving a one inch gap under window trim after they said they were "done". I agreed to fix the gaps myself just to get them out of my house. This was done in January 2018 so I understand it was cold but NONE of the windows were caulked outside leaving a 1/4 gap around the windows for water and snow to leak in the walls. Not to mention a breeze in the living room. What I think is funny is I never ever got a call or anything in the mail asking how I liked the job that was done. I gave two stars instead of one because the new windows are nice and look good.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Custom Remodelers put in 7 new windows and a new door for me and I love them! It was a 2.5 day job and I have to say they sent me the best contractor. My neighborhood's not the best. Things get stolen. Every day John made sure to clean up the messes and told us where he was storing the items. I've worked with contractors from other businesses before and usually they just leave things laying around. My husband and I were constantly in and out of the house. One of the work days fell on Halloween and the next day was street sweep!!! John kept working and made sure our home was safe while we were away. At one point he had to park the next block over and carry his tools over. He's very accommodating and hardworking.

Now, in the middle of Minnesota winter, I love my windows. My previous windows were painted and nailed shut by the previous owner. Explains why I could never open them. But they were still drafty. I remember last year I had to crank my heat up to 80. After the installation this year, my usual is 70 degrees. Today I was moving presents downstairs and felt too hot so I actually had to turn down the heat to 65. Also the windows are kind of tinted so no one can see me from outside during the day unless I have a light on for some odd reason or I'm standing less than 2 ft from the window. They're awesome. I do have to say, I forgot to order a peephole for my door. If you're getting a door, don't forget the peephole...

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

The installer was very efficient. He was super conscientious and did very clean and neat work. He did everything in a timely matter. There really were no hiccups in the process which was nice because I didn’t really have to wonder too much. I had only one guy and I cant believe how smooth it went. I would recommend them to everyone. It's amazing they customized so well to my 1921 home.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Love how the window looks. Had a tough install but the crew kept at it and called another crew in to get the job done! The wood matches exactly with my other windows and looks great. Also had skylights replaced and they are great!

Custom Remodelers Company Information