2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.8/5 (572 ratings)

About Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: July 18, 2018

The mower has been great. Usually starts the first try. I like the feature that lets you mow in reverse. It’s the most user friendly designs I’ve seen. My only complaint lies with the seat bushings. They are cheap plastic and wore out within the first three or four uses. Metal shoulder bolts would have only cost pennies more and would be much more durable.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The small Honda is easy start, fast and strong enough for gator blades in thick St Augustine. 46" cut with Honda engine is easy to handle for a medium size yard with a lot of maneuvering. Love the size as I have a lot of obstacles to get around.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The SC700E Cub Cadet does a wonderful job on my yard, front and rear wheel drive what more could you want, large rear wheels make it a breeze when mowing on a hill or uneven terrain. This has the Honda 190 CC engine and its plenty of power with easy starting. A great mower.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Bought the Cub Cadet XT1 46" new, and modified with a mulching kit. The mower is badly underpowered, and won't make up even the most minor incline on grass. It stops, and only one wheel spins making me wonder if the mower is a one wheel drive, not even having the drive train hooked up to both rear wheels. I've not found the truth on that in any of their literature. The instructions for removing the deck are incomplete, and I had to pretty much figure it out on my own as even customer support didn't know when I replaced the blades. I'll never buy another Cub Cadet product.

Original review: July 16, 2018

After having a heat stroke last year, I thought I would never get to use my mower again. But, I am back, (not fully, but back) and I use my mower over the entire yard and around scrubs and trees. My grass would not get cut if not for my Cub Cadet!

Original review: July 16, 2018

The engine seized up when the mower was about three years old, with about 40 hours on the timer. The belt would also break unless I was very careful to remove all debris from the yard, such as pine cones and small limbs. The cables that hold the cutting deck level were not properly designed to stay in place and give an even cut. Piece of junk. Asked a friend who is good at repairing stuff like it if he wanted it for free and he said it was not worth messing with!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Troy-Built has the same mower at hundreds dollars less. I had minor problems with it. If I had to do it all over again I would get the Troy-Bilt.

Original review: July 15, 2018

This is the second summer we have had our lawn tractor. This year I bought a XT1 bagger. This is the most unfriendly bagger I have had to work with in my 54 years. It does not bag very well, I have more grass on my than in the bag. It blows back from the front of the bagger. This is the 2nd bagger this year. The first one we took back because we thought it was faulty. But alas, this one does the same thing. What a waste of my money and how very disappointed we are with this set up. Maybe there is someone in your design department with some better ideas for a bagger that actually works.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Cub Cadet rider is quality built and does an outstanding job plowing through tough grass! Fires right up year after year without issues! Will buy again if this unit ever fails!

Original review: July 15, 2018

This mower/tractor is junk. I have owned it for 6 yrs, and it stays in the shop because the belts keep coming off. There should be a recall on this mower.

Original review: July 15, 2018

It is the best mower I've ever owned. Can't brag enough on it. It's GREAT and it has safety features on it, let you know if low on oil, low on gas, won't let you start it if you forget to take it out of cutting mode found out the hard way. LOL.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I like the Cub Cadet BUT I have a lot of problem starting it. Maybe it's the battery but I haven't tried it yet. Other than that it's great and it works.

Original review: July 14, 2018

A very comfortable ride. Been mowing lawns for company for 3 years and never had to bring it to shop to get it repair. Steering is very easy. Plenty of power. Hydro transmission makes it easier to cut lawn. You don't have clutch to shift forward or backwards.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Great mower, great warranty coverage, very durable mower and highly recommended for those with a large yard but not in need of a tractor rated mower.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We have had our $4000 Cub Cadet Zero Turn Electric mower for about 2.5 years. We had no issues at all, and sang the praises of "Cubby" to any who would listen. Then... As I was mowing the lawn, on a hot day, with a bit of length to the lawn - and had just finished, the mower beeped and informed me via the small LCD screen that I had better get back to the charger (or else).

Got it back to the charger, charged overnight - and nothing. This went on for a few days. We called around here in northern Michigan, and very few people had even heard of an Electric Zero turn. We even had one gent who insisted we were mistaken - "You are talking about electric start system sir, not the mower - I promise" Said he.

We finally reached someone who said (after double checking with service) they could work on them. Zaremba's in Gaylord. Hallelujah - we had found Cubby's savior. Only they called us back a few days later and told us they could not find an issue. So, we went and picked it up. Sure enough when we got home, no issue - charge meter looked as it should, and we happily mowed the lawn. Got back to charge it, put it on the charger, checked the next day - charge meter didn't budge from the 'low' indicator (3 pips). Huh.

So, we kept trying to charge it, days pass - we even tried a few different outlets. No change. So we call Zaremba back, and let them know. They clearly were not eager to help, stating "It worked when it left here, SIR." So I calmly explained the battery indicator issue, she huffed and said "Bring it in whenever". So back it goes this weekend, a 30 mile trip that we'll have to rent a trailer for again (200 bucks to have them come get it). This whole thing about 2 weeks before the warranty expires. All the positive reviews of this mower are premature.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Has always leaked oil, one time nearly caught on fire, charging system not keeping battery up, seems to eat deck belts, and all this with less than 200 hours on mower.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I purchased a new Cub Cadet 2145 Lawn Tractor in 1995 and have been very happy with its performance, durability and ease of repair. It has over 1350 hours on it and other than a new coil a few years ago I have done nothing but normal maintenance (oil, filters, belts etc.). I could not be more satisfied with this Cub Cadet.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I like the handling and the zero turn. Mower is easy to blow debris off when finished. The ride is somewhat comfortable, and wish I had bought a bigger mower for my yard, since I mow 1.5 acres.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I'm comparing Cub Cadet to my 24yo Craftsman mower. The Cadet is more powerful and uses more fuel. The mower deck doesn't lift as high as the Craftsman does. The Cub turn radius is shorter but it doesn't tolerate side hill mowing on as steep a slope.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Cub Cadet cuts grass well and is easy on gas. Start well every time I use it. It has a tendency to be a little top heavy when mowing on a slight incline. I have had to replace the battery this season though after 3 years.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Have a new Cub Cadet XT-2 LX-46. Have 3.1 hours on it and rear plastic wheel on the deck is cracked. Called Cub Cadet and I have to take it to the closest dealer to me not the one I bought it from that is 2 miles away but to one that is 30 miles away so they can look at it and determine if it's a factory defect. Bunch of bull for a 8 dollar part plus 4 dollars to ship.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Purchased a Cub Cadet model XT1 with the 18 HP Kohler Courage Engine. This was in 2016. This engine has a rubber hose for an oil drain apparatus. The rubber hose will crack, draining all the oil from the engine. This happened to me while I was cutting the lawn. I managed to turn the mower off before it seized completely, but the engine is ruined and will have to be repaired or replaced. From what I understand there is a recall on this drain hose, but the local dealer after several requests has yet to tell me if my model is on the list. Though I'm quite sure it is. And if it isn't, it should be.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I had had a Scotts self-propelled mower I purchased new from Home Depot back in 1998. It was a solid reliable mower that I had had rebuilt a few times over the past 20 years, but over the last few, the pull starter had become unreliable (and, being honest, as I am getting older, it became much more difficult to pull). So, I started researching new mowers, knowing this “new” one should be the last I would have to purchase. There were 4 requirements the new mower had to have: Electric start, Self-propelled, Rear wheel drive, Rear tires larger than the front with good traction. Budget was also a major factor, as I am a widow on a fixed income and really had to keep it under $500, so after nearly a month of looking, it came down to a Cub Cadet Model SC500EQ. I purchased one from a local Cub Cadet dealer on 5/10/18 and 5/15 was the first chance I had to use it. And I must say, I am EXTREMELY disappointed with it!

On the plus side (and so far, this is the ONLY plus!), I love the electric starter! The negatives, however, are enough to prompt me to write this review. In all fairness, I also sent a copy of this to Cub Cadet in hopes that they would take my complaints/concerns into consideration when designing their next round of mowers in this class/category. And in writing this, I am taking into consideration that there is always a period of adjustment/transition from an old familiar mower to a new one.

There is no height adjustment capability for the handle. I am 5’ 2” tall. The handle (as it sits right now, which is a fixed position) is at a very awkward height for me to “push” to operate the forward motion, as well as hold when mowing. By the time I finished mowing my front yard (approximately 70’ x 40’, including around three large circular flower beds), my arms and shoulders were aching. As I wrote this the morning after, I could barely lift my arms, and I am in fairly good physical condition! There should be some way to adjust that handle so that it can be set either higher or lower for a better “center of gravity” angle, depending on the person’s height.

The height adjustment levers on the tires are next to impossible to use. It took me both hands and a LOT of struggling to get them moved from the 1” setting to the 3” setting – I nearly gave up and went to get a neighbor... The front “guard” piece is not only useless, but downright dangerous. Since my yard is not perfectly level, that piece sitting nearly an inch lower than the mower deck means that it kept getting stuck/run into the ground (thereby throwing me forward into the mowing handle – yes, I now have bruises on my chest thanks to that). That was what prompted me to look at adjusting the height of the mower. That needs to come off!

The traction on the rear wheels is a joke. When the front end gets caught on the smallest of bumps, instead of providing enough “push” to move the mower, they just spin, creating ruts in the lawn. Whatever the handle wrap is made of is terrible. Between the vibration and the constant pushing motion, I ended up with several blisters on my hands. And finally - Their “push forward” system to engage the propel system (and trying to push it further forward to go at a higher speed)… You have to push it forward and down the handle. That’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen. You really DO have to push – HARD – if you want to attain a speed faster than turtle crawl. If you wanted to have it going faster, you would be literally trying to run while trying to keep it pushed forward.

Granted, I had become accustomed to a “pull/hold” bar system to engage the drive and go forward (with a separate lever for speed adjustment), but I could literally mow my lawn with one hand. With the “old” mower, I could get that lawn cut in less than 45 minutes. When I used this Cub Cadet, it took me nearly double that because I could not continually push forward (at an awkward height and downward angle no less), while getting shoved into the handle because the front guard kept getting caught on the small bumps in the yard, and/or try to keep the propel handle forward while pushing down on the fixed handle to lift up the front wheels to make turns…

Suffice to say, I am extremely unhappy with this purchase. I called the dealer I purchased it from and they graciously agreed to take this back in exchange for a different mower, probably a Toro (which is only lacking the larger rear tires). If I had known then what I know now… My biggest regret is my haste in selling the old mower once I purchased this one, but before I used it – I’m sure that for the price I paid for this mower, I could have found someone to figure a way to hook up an electric start to that old monster, but now I have to somehow come up with the extra money to purchase a different mower that I can use!

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cub Cadet CC 30 riding mower - Purchased this new in May 2014. Have worked for and owned Cadets since 1961. The last one I owned was a 104 cadet with a 38" mower. Had it for many years and never had ANY problems with. We downsized and moved to a smaller home and did not need this large tractor. Decided to purchase a smaller rider. Bad choice. After using it two times the engine started to miss and large clouds of blue smoke came out of the exhaust pipe, I shut off the engine and thought the crankcase may be overfilled. The oil level was ok. Check around the engine and discovered the crankcase vent hose was improperly installed. Was kinked so I rerouted it. This problem was corrected. Called the dealer. Comment was, "What do you want? You fixed the problem."

The next season a new problem came up. After running for 1/2 hour the engine started to miss and eventually stopped. I let it stand for about 20 minutes and it restarted but ran rough. Dealer was contacted. Picked up the unit. Said could not duplicate the problem. Did change the oil. The cost for this service was $125.00. Next season the same problem resurfaced. Now it would run for 10 minutes and sputter and die, let it stand, would restart then would stall again, I did some minor maintenance such replace spark plug and the fuel filter. Both looked OK. Also flushed the fuel tank and filled with FRESH fuel. None of this corrected the problem. I had a video of all this. I called the dealer and told them of the problem. The comment was I would have to bring in the unit or have them pick up. The video would be of no help. After a week the tractor was picked up and I had to wait for another week for them to get around to looking at it.

They said they think it needs a new carburetor. Would have to order it, may take a week or so. I purchased this from the Cub Cadet dealer not a big box store. The running time is less than 75 hours. A new Carb?? Still waiting to hear if the problem is corrected. Very disappointed with The Cub Cadet and the lack of knowledge from the service dept. I worked for International Harvester and Serviced hundreds of Cadets for over 23 years. If I handled a customer like this I would have been looking for another job. Would not recommend a CC30 to anyone. End of a sad story.

Updated on 06/09/2018: The dealer finally picked up the tractor and had it for a week. Said it did have a issue and they THINK it is the Carburetor, my question was after only 75 or less hours it needs a new Carb? I agreed to have the carb replaced. The total cost to repair was $208.00. Well wonders of wonders now runs better than when it was first delivered. Guess the Carburetor was the cause all of the time. Guess about Warranty? Sorry out of factory Warranty. So Sorry last Cub Cadet in my garage.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have bought this model of lawnmower at Lowe's in August 2017 and used it twice in the fall, both times it worked well. In spring of 2018 the mower would not start. Its spark is working, oil is new and on the right level, new gasoline is used, air filter is spotless. When using starter fluid, the engine starts and dies immediately after. The two authorized Cub Cadet service centers in my area told me they would charge $75 for looking at the mower and probably would charge more for parts and labor to fix the issue. This is an 8 month old mower, still under warranty. I can understand that once in a while a product's quality may be below acceptable. I do not accept that support service can be this shamelessly bad. Shame on the company.

Original review: May 5, 2018

In 2008 I purchased new, a i1046 zero turn lawn tractor. Now at 300 hrs I could not be more pleased... I have changed blades twice, and spindles once. Deck has held up Better than I expected using it in Missouri, with stumps and rocks, that really call for nothing less than a fabricated deck! Starts every time and the zero turn capabilities make this mower perfect for my usage. The 20 hp courage engine, is strong and has given no problems as of yet.

This year I needed a push mower for some tighter areas so once again I turned to Cub Cadet. Purchasing the SC300HW. Although I have only used this mower about 4 times (a little under an acre per time) The Mower starts GREAT! Is super fuel efficient, has plenty of power, Seems to be cheaply made, with lots of ABS, but looks can be deceiving I suppose, because it seems to be holding up, well on the rough terrain. Time will tell with this mower, but for now I will say, I fully recommend it! Especially for the price! At a shade under 300.00 I don't believe I could have beat this as far as features and price!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Tractor (LTX1045) was purchased new in 2011. 3 years later, and of course after the warranty expired, it threw a valve, and the engine needed to be rebuilt. It developed a squeal and slight vibration at the end of the 2017 season. Transmission was shot and needed to be replaced. And, the spindle bearings fell out. For the past 4 or 5 years, I have had to tighten the valve cover each time I use it, or it leaks oil onto the muffler. I also have to tighten the exhaust manifold each time I use it. The parking brake assembly fell apart, and needed to be replaced. I contacted Cub Cadet, and got a nice form letter that did not address any of my issues, but referred me to take it to the local dealer. What's he gonna do except charge me more money. Save your money, and think twice about buying a Cub Cadet. They are now owned by MTD. While their prices are still high, their quality is what you'd expect from a less expensive tractor.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am very displeased with this Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower. The mower offers very little traction which makes it difficult to control. The seat switch is far too sensitive. The drive belt is only 1 year old but I have had to slip it back on after it came off and I noticed a large piece of the belt is gone. I purchased another belt knowing that I may get 1 or 2 more mowing opportunities before it breaks. Even the smallest bump will shut the blades off. The only consistent thing about this zero turn is that it continues to tear up my lawn. I want to sell this mower but I would feel guilty of selling a bad product to someone else.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 42in cut. just like a lot of others that have or still own this piece of junk, the deck belt keeps falling off. I mow two acres of lawn. Before I even get halfway done mowing I have to replace the belt. At 38.00 bucks. I do imagine that price will be going up this year. I go through two belts every time I have to mow. Maybe Cub Cadet could send me a case of belts for free. Now that would be something. I can dream can't I. I have replaced pulleys, springs, cables. I can't wait until it is time to mow this year. Right away I have to replace the belt because I said the hell with it last time I mowed and parked the mower in the garage. I am retired. I would like to buy a new mower but they will give me 400 for this piece of junk. But I still have to come up with 1100. With a very limited income I really don't think that will happen. I will be replacing belts again this year.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Cub Cadet snow blower 1x 21" - The exhaust heats up the (looking forward) left tire and won't allow the snow to fall off. In turn the snow sticks (it doesn't take a lot) to the tire and it jams up between the tire and coupling preventing the tire from turning. So either I drag the unit with only one tire turning, or stop every minute and bang a hammer on the tire dislodging the caked on icy snow. This happens with 1" or 6" of snow, it doesn't matter. This thing is killing this 65 year old man.

Cub Cadet Company Information