It's that easy Request Information
3.40/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When it comes to home repairs, thousands of homeowners rely on Cross Country Home Services whenever their appliances or systems breakdown. From air conditioners, washers and dryers to dishwashers, refrigerators and ovens, Cross Country Home Services will take care of the problem you are facing. With a variety of plans available, CCHS allows you to select the coverage that best fits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our services and plans available!

298 Cross Country Home Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Under the warranty you are forced to use their technicians and the problem with that is they are not working with reputable companies for A/C related repairs. I live in Florida and in June I had an issue with my A/C where the house temperature was in the 90 degree range. Having a baby in the house it was imperative that we get it fixed quickly. I called Cross Country and their technician could not be out for 2 days. My wife called and asked if they would cover having the company we have used for our service contracts for years come out and make a repair. They said yes. I would have to submit all the info and invoices.

That company came out and said it was a small part, made the repair and we were back cooling. A week or two it started acting up again so again we called Cross Country. They said they would put an emergency ticket in and have someone out that night. At 11 pm their technician showed up and "checked the Freon" while it was raining and said it was low. He added some coolant and never checked anything else. The unit never started cooling. I called Cross Country again and told them they sent out another technician that partially visually inspected my inside unit and said it was impacted with algae and dust.

I told him that we have it regularly serviced and change the filters every 60 days. He made the report with no repairs and I got an email the next morning from Cross Country that any repairs would not be covered due to improper maintenance. I called and told them I have proof of servicing 2 times per year since I purchased the home new in 2007. I scanned and sent in all the documents. Remember the A/C is still not working properly and I am frustrated. I now get an electric bill for 6 times the normal so I called the electric company. They told me it was likely my A/C unit. The woman said to have my service company check to see if the heat is stuck on and working against the cooling.

Instead of calling Cross Country I called my local company again. He checked the whole system again and did a voltage check on the heater and showed it was on. He tried to bypass but with the control board that was in it it was not possible. He gave me an estimate to fix the control board but said he thinks it is the heater as well and being an 11 year old unit that was just stressed by the malfunction as well as the other guy putting coolant in while it was raining could contribute to more repairs in the near future. We discussed options. The simple repair of control board and heater was about $1000.

I decided to replace the unit for what I thought was reasonable. I went back to Cross Country and spoke with a supervisor. She said that they would not pay for the replacement but would work on helping me with what the repair of the heater issue would have been. I was happy... I have followed up numerous times speaking with her again and now it is November and still no resolution. They like to get your premiums every month but hate to pay out. Had they sent a competent technician out I would not have had to call my local a/c company I use regularly.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have paid $39/month for over 10 years to Cross Country. They did cover really minor things where no parts were needed. But when our washer developed problems in spinning clothes, they refused to pay. They cited the contract (which I asked to receive multiple times, but never did get), which basically stated all the things in a washer that weren't covered. Plus, I still had to pay $100 for the service call!!! Today I am canceling this worthless warranty and am going with American Home Shield. The repairman said they are much better to deal with. My next step is to report CC to my state's attorney general, insurance dept, BBB and possibly file a small claims suit against them to pay for a new washer. This is a terrible service that promises everything on the website and brochure, but when you need them, they leave you in the cold. Literally, if your heater goes out!

Cross Country Home Services response

Randall, We regret to hear you are considering cancelling your policy. Cross Country Home Services aims for easy, efficient, and reputable service companies for our homeowners. We hope you reconsider and continue to be a member with our company. After a careful review of your claim it seems that we have completed some extensive research on your washer and we have overturned our original decision. We have sent it over for your washer to be replaced. I will have a Resolution Specialist follow up with you directly to have this resolved with an expedited time frame. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was sold a home warranty by Randy the Sears Service technician to get half price on parts and labor ($300+ on a $75 part). "For $50 a month and a $75 service charge, all your appliances, and all your refrigerators, including the one in the attached garage will be covered". Well, call Sears 2 months later, Randy says the refrigerator in the laundry room "parts are no longer available, so we'll just replace it". Now Cross Country says that the policy Randy sold us only covers the refrigerator in the kitchen, not the one in the laundry room, so warranty claim is denied, read the fine print. I have dealt with no less than 6 different people, and getting nowhere, "we're going to escalate this". It will wind up costing me another $156.32 to break this contract that was not what RANDY - Sears Service Tech sold us.

Cross Country Home Services response

Robert, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and it seems that you have coverage for only one unit. I regret you may feel as if the policy has not benefited you. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I purchased extra coverage with Cross Country to cover my hot tub/spa. My control panel went out and it took three calls to get someone who could finally admit that in fact I did have that coverage. They told me that if they could not find anyone in my area they would call me in 24 hours. They never called so I called them and they told me the claim had been dropped as there was no response FROM ME in 48 hrs. Then I provided them with a number of local contractors to contact and after 4 days I called them and they told me I had to get a contractor out and while they were there before they began any work they had to speak with Cross Country. (Note the initial claim was submitted in April 2018.) Now it is June.

Had the contractor out and he verified the control panel had failed, and called Cross Country. They tried to convince the contractor that it was normal wear and tear and he stood fast advising them that the part had not worn out but failed. The contractor sent them and invoice and I paid my $75 deductible to the contractor. Well in Sept I got a bill from the contractor, Cross Country had not paid the bill. It took me 4 phone calls (very time consuming dealing with different people each time with none making any notes) to finally find out they wanted me to pay the contractor and I would be reimbursed in 4 to 6 weeks.

Well 6 weeks later I call and after 3 calls I finally get someone who tells me that the payment was sent to the contractor. Never mind the paid receipts I sent them as per their instructions. I was assured I would be paid in 10 days, well Now it is 18 Nov 2018 and they tell me that the claim needs further review before they will be able to reimburse me. I have never been called by them, every action had to be initiated by me. Typically it takes 3 to 4 calls to finally get someone who seems to be able to resolve the problem. Others will put you on hold to talk to a supervisor and after a 15 min wait the phone will go dead. They never call back, you have to go through their telephone gauntlet again.

Any attempts at escalating the claim are thwarted, there is no way you can speak with anyone in charge. I have obviously decided not to renew my contract with them and I am at the point of hiring a lawyer to get my reimbursement. I have worked as an insurance claims adjuster and given the lack of organization it is obvious this company intends to make money by denying claims or making it so difficult to receive reimbursement that the claimant will give up. Not a very good business model in my opinion.

Cross Country Home Services response

Dean, Dear Cynthia, Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We aim for a clear and efficient claim process, but it seems we have missed our objective by giving conflicting answers regarding your reimbursement. I have located your account and see that since this review, today you have spoken with two members of our Leadership team. I have also stop the original check sent out and requested the new check be sent overnight. I thank you for your patience. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We decided to purchase the Cross Country Home Services warranty because of their price offer. Last year I wasn’t really happy. I was almost ready to switch. We had not received the letter where you had a window as far as getting free furnace or examination in the spring and in the fall, and I missed it by two weeks. When I called the representative, down there in the claims, he was not a people person. He was very abrupt. Not like ‘Gee, I’m sorry you missed it.” I said, “What happens if our air conditioning system breaks?” He just said file a claim. But in the last couple years, that was my only dissatisfaction. I have no complaints with the contractors. I’m satisfied. So far, everything’s okay. Comparing value to price I would recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cross Country Home Services?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I usually call to file my claims with Cross Country Home Services and doing that has been as simple and easy as anything else. In order to get the service, however, I have to pay $100 upfront and I don't like that they raised the copay every year. It went to $80, then $100 and now, it’s $125. Still, Cross Country’s reps are very professional and in about three days they are able to send a contractor out who is excellent.

Cross Country Home Services response

Stephen, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Austin

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Denied Primary Pool Pump Replacement when clearly covered on warranty. Notes from the Vendor: "This is your “primary circulator pump and motor”. The insurance page you sent me clearly says that it is covered." Still trying to get warranty. Have been on the phone with them for 1hr 43 minutes. They know nothing about pools. Do not understand variable speed pump. Now they think they want to furnish the pump. If they do, it will have to be shipped in and depending on where they purchase it, the manufacture warranty may be voided. No idea how long it will take to get it shipped in.

Pump is NOT covered at all. It will take them 2-3 days to call and tell you. Please do not call and fuss at us. I wasted 2 hours educating them about pools and equipment only to have them look the pump up online and discover that is has a timer built in – so they denied coverage. I did everything I could to avoid discussing the “timer” issue. Almost all pool equipment is covered by a timer. I am on hold to speak now to customer service to register my complaint that I wasted 2 hours when they knew that had a way to deny coverage. Hanging up now. Customer service never answered. We will be happy to replace the pump, but your insurance will not pay a single penny.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

A new hot water heater was installed in April 2018 and on Wednesday November 7th there was no hot water. After several calls to CCHS who was telling us we had to call the manufacturer since it was still under warranty, (the number given to me was not in service) a service call finally was requested with a local plumbing company at the cost of $100 (the labor warranty had run out). That serviceman said the lower element of this 8 month old hot water heater had rusted and needed to be replaced. Additionally this part was causing the circuit breaker to trip so the hot water in the tank could not be replenished. The plumbing company had to order the part from the manufacturer and will be charging us $140.00 for every part we will need (a processing fee) even though it is under warranty.

The part was ordered Friday morning and has not arrived by Wednesday evening. Lowe’s and Home Depot have a large variety of these elements readily available (AO Smith parts) but for some reason it had to be ordered from the manufacturer. I have tried to call the CCHS to expedite this in some way. I have called at least 6 times, have been disconnected 3 times and placed on hold 3 times when I asked for a supervisor to assist me. Two of those 3 holds (around 12 minutes each) resulted in the representative telling me they tried to get a supervisor and no one was available. They would call back (no call yet). The third call to get a supervisor resulted in a 43 minute hold while the representative looked for a supervisor and we gave up.

We are not happy that a hot water heater 8 months old needs a part to work and that it takes a week to get that part and that I have to pay $149 for a part that is @20.00. Additionally we are not sure this part will rectify the problem. I am wondering what good a warranty is! I am not happy that CCHS has done nothing to fix/expedite this issue and that I can't reach anyone with enough knowledge to assist me. If this is a common issue (to be without hot water for a week while waiting for a part that is locally available and paying a fee of $149.00) I would strongly suggest checking with other warranty companies on their policies. We are going to explore other warranty companies after this incident.

Cross Country Home Services response

Dorothy, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. I have located your account and will have a Resolution specialist from my team reach out  to you and assist you with your claim. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Cross Country offered me a home equity loan. It sounded like a good idea, so I did it, and it has been very beneficial to me. I've done a claim online and then they send out someone or contact me, just to let me know who is going to be contacting me and then everything is with whoever they say that they're working with. The website is user-friendly, except I have it in my internet file, under a certain name, and then I have to go back. I have to hang up the number and put the number in and do all of that kind of thing. I have never gotten any kind of notification when they changed names or how it works so that's a little bit aggravating because I don't do this every week. It's usually quite a while in between that I've used it.

We ought to be notified if there's a name change like a simple email saying, "Oh, by the way, the name was changed," or "This is the name that we're going under now and this is how you would contact us." But other than that, I've been very pleased. It's always been within just a very short period of time that I hear back from them. Once I put in a claim, depending on whether it's at the weekend or something, I usually hear back from them either that day or right away.

I've always been pretty pleased with the contractors that they suggested. With the ones that I dealt with, I couldn't think of any that were not professional. I've been very pleased with the service as well. I talked about Cross Country frequently when I hear people talking about issues they're having in their home. I would say they got to have what I have and it really works well.

Cross Country Home Services response

Janis, I’m glad we exceeded your expectations! We aim to provide excellent service even in unexpected situations such as yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it! – Morgan

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We recently had our garage door opener replaced and everything went great. It was real easy to submit the claim and the representatives were very professional and knowledgeable. The coverage plan with Cross Country is good. It's pretty comprehensive. I was just disappointed that the deductible increased to $100. But I know that if I have a major problem, it's not gonna necessarily break the bank. I'm satisfied and I would tell others to look into it. In fact, I recommended them to my daughter and her family.

Cross Country Home Services response

Linwood, We appreciate you sharing your experiences and are thrilled to hear that you will recommend us to others. It is our pleasure to provide you with top-level customer service and efficient claim resolutions. We hope to continue to have you as our customer for many years to come. – Austin

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

When I bought the house, the previous owners have a home warranty with them. Cross Country sent me something, called me, and I signed up with them in 2011. Their rep was very good and she explained the warranty, and program including what is covered and what is not, that was why I liked it. When I submit a claim, it is very easy. I just go to their website with my contract number, zip code, and they bring up my account. I choose what I need to be fixed, and within seconds, they send me an e-mail telling me they assigned the contractor for me. They also list the appointment when I want it to be there.

The steps to go through is just three pages. Then they send an e-mail with the contact information of the contractor, and I call the contractor. Their contractors are very good. I have done two claims and both contractors were very good, courteous and nice. Cross Country has been very responsive to my claims. They also have this program which I utilized during the first two years. Every three months, they check over the different systems in the house including electric, plumbing, AC, and the furnace. I will recommend them.

Mohammed, Excellent service is what we aim to provide! – Morgan

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I am with Cross Country Home Services for so many years. 19 months before my water heater broke and they have sent Service provider to fix it. It broke again and lodged a claim for repair. This time they have sent another Service provider and this company claims it is totally a improper Installation by the previous service provider. Cross Country Home Services is declining my claim and is asking me to work with previous service provider since they cannot further work on fulfilling the claim. I am totally confused why a customer is being penalized for a warranty company's fault for sending unqualified service provider. As a customer I am not even knowledgeable to find out if they have done a proper fix or not. Having paid regular monthly premiums am I supposed to pay for their inefficiency also? I am very much frustrated with Cross Country Home Services warranty company with such response.

After around 15 calls I got the 2nd ticket created and Cross Country made me pay additional copay for the 2nd time and I have escalated this to BBB. A senior management from person from Cross country called me and promised that they will reimburse me 2nd the copay (I am still awaiting. Haven't got it). I was frustrated with this kind of service. And when I called membership to cancel my services, they are asking me keep continuing to pay my premium till the end of contract for another 6 months?! If you ask for their contract they will ensure not send in email and they will say it will be mailed through USPS post. And after you receive it you will never find details about these policies.

Cross Country Home Services response

Ravichandran, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. A member of our Leadership team has been in contact with you and she will remain in contact with you until a resolution has been met. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Cross Country reps has always satisfactory. They've always been professional with me. I have to call the number and it takes forever to get through the medium. But then I press the button, and it used to be you would get a person eventually. Now, last time, I never got a person, but the computer did everything as far as assigning a vendor and giving me a confirmation number. It used to be a person that do that. It's quicker now. I don't have to stay on the line for so long so it works.

However, I had problems with time when it comes to vendors. There was a time when it took more than a week to get somebody out there to fix our air conditioner in a hot summertime. They had to send out a vendor to assess the problem and then he has to call back Cross Country and submit his repair job and the cost then wait for them. They have to approve the amount that he submitted. That seem to be a delay in there.

One time particular it was in the afternoon when the vendor got to me and he said that he was gonna go back and send over his invoice but he couldn't come back and fix it until in a week it was in there. This was like on a Thursday and it wasn't approved for them to come back out there until Tuesday of the following week. He calls me and say, "Well, I am gonna be on this job tomorrow, Wednesday, but I can be there Thursday morning." So it's been out a week from Thursday to Thursday. I don't know what ought to be done to solve that, but it sure would help if they could fix it.

Nevertheless, I love the product. It has saved me money and I would recommend that because appliances and stuff break down all the time. It's just some of that service thing in there is kind of a drag. But the vendors, as far as all that they sent out, seem to know what they're doing. They're very professional and polite so I like that.

Cross Country Home Services response

Helen, Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Morgan

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’ve had Cross Country forever. There was one case when I filed a claim in which it took so long for somebody to call me back into dealing with it, but I managed to take care of it myself. The contractors have all been fine. I have a 12-year-old refrigerator. The guy came out, charged me 100 bucks and then he upsold me into a maintenance cleaning that I probably didn’t need, but I was paying him so little for the job he was doing and he made it work that I said okay to it.

If sort of operating on the period that they’re supposed to they charge me 80 bucks and sometimes they charge me a little bit more than 80 bucks. But if I’m looking at something that’s gonna cost me $600 to repair or $1,200 to replace, and the charge ends up being $112 instead of 80, I’m really not gonna complain about it, which I suppose everybody’s counting on. I’m not someone who buys the extended warranty when I go shopping for appliances and things, and I think that $50 a month, you’re gonna pay it one way or another. So I’m perfectly happy with my home warranty.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Completely unacceptable service and wait times from this company. I purchased a Sears Home Warranty which uses Cross Country Home Services to administer the warranty. I called in a claim for my non-working refrigerator on 10/22 and it took a week before a service provider (repair technician) was able to be contacted to schedule a service repair appt. The repair technician came on 10/29 to diagnosis the problem. The replacement parts were ordered and he came back on 11/1 to work on the fridge.

On Monday, 11/5, I notified the repair tech that the fridge still wasn't working as it should. The technician notified the warranty company of his attempts to repair the fridge (but attempts were unsuccessful) and his recommendation that it's not economical to continue to repair the fridge. The claim has now been moved into the Research/Authorization Department and I have not gotten any response or information except I have to wait. I have asked to have this claim expedited or speak with someone in the Research Dept but have been told there is no number to call and I just have to wait. I have been without a fridge/freezer for almost 3 weeks and I think it is completely unacceptable that this cannot be sped up or speak with a supervisor. From this experience I can't see how I could ever recommend this company or warranty plan to anyone else or possibly renew this once my contract is up.

Cross Country Home Services response

Tiffany, I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. I've located your account and will have a member of my team review and give you a call directly Thanks, Austin

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I tried Cross Country Home Services and it worked. Submitting a claim has been reasonably okay. Sometimes, it takes a while but eventually, they do come through. The people have been good. If they could do the work, they would tell us that they could. If it is something they cannot do, they would also tell us about it. They have been generally professional. If they are going to change the appointment, they let us know long in advance. They were also courteous and they knew what they were doing. Cross Country usually sends people that have good reputation. I will advise others to definitely go with Cross Country.

Cross Country Home Services response

Gable,  It is our pleasure to give great customer service and offer stress-free repairs. Thank you for taking the time to share your claim experience with us. - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I placed a claim on 10/6/18. On 10/12/18 their service partner said I need a new boiler. Today is 11/6/18 and I still have no heat. New boiler was supposed to be installed on 11/2/18 but Cross Country Home Services ordered the wrong part. I am now waiting for the new part to arrive. Who knows at that point when the service partner will be able to install it. I am so angry and so cold. This is not the way to run a business. DO NOT PURCHASE. I filed a complaint with the state Attorney General so hopefully there will be some sort of resolution.

Cross Country Home Services response

Matan, I completely understand how frustrating this can be! I sincerely apologize about the inconvenience caused. I have completed a review and records indicate since this review you have spoken with a member of our Leadership Team. She has provided the updated information on your claim and the new Boiler has been ordered. She will remain in contact with you until this has been resolved for you and your family. Sincerely, Austin

I received a voicemail from the homeowner requesting an update on the part order. I reviewed the job and the PO has been submitted to order the correct furnace. I called the homeowner and left a voicemail message for him with the update.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Updated on 11/08/2018: I posted a review a few days ago about my dishwasher that has not been working since the beginning of September (over 2 months ago). The contractor, chosen by Cross Country is Sears, and have been out to my home 5 times. Each time they order and then replace a part which does not solve the problem and they then order another part. After the third attempt to repair the dishwasher I was told by Cross Country that if after the fourth attempt, if the dishwasher could not be repaired, they would replace the dishwasher. After the fourth unsuccessful visit I contacted Cross Country and I was told that someone would be getting back to me about the value to be allowed for a replacement. I never heard back from Cross Country but the contractor came out a fourth time to try repair the dishwasher and failed.

This week on Monday (11/5/18) the contractor came out for the fifth time and, once again, the parts did not fix the problem and so they re-ordered the first part they replaced two months ago in the hope that it would fix the problem. I called Cross Country and asked to speak to a supervisor. After 4 attempts to put me through to a supervisor I was told that none were available and that a supervisor would call me back in 24 to 48 hours. I then went and wrote a review on this website and Cross Country responded that someone would be reaching out to me to resolve the issue.

About 72 hours after I was told a supervisor would call me back in 24 to 48 hours I got a call from a supervisor - they were not aware of my review on ConsumerAffairs. I explained that my floor had been ripped up in my kitchen and that the dishwasher was sitting in the middle of my kitchen. I had been without a dishwasher for over 2 months and I had a very unhappy wife and now the contractor has told me that they will be back for a 6th visit.

The supervisor told me that the Cross Country person had misspoken when they told me that my dishwasher would be replaced after the third failed attempt to repair the dishwasher. I told the Cross Country supervisor that the day after the failed fifth attempt to repair my dishwasher (this past Monday 11/5/18) I had gone out to Lowe's and purchased a new dishwasher and that they had already installed it today (11/8/18). The supervisor then told me that I was out of luck. Personally, I think the $720 I just paid for a dishwasher (including installation) is well worth it in order to have a happy wife and I think Cross Country are the ones out of luck.

Original Review: I have a Cross Country Home warranty that I purchased a long time ago through my mortgage company. My dishwasher stopped working 2 months ago and I submitted a claim. After the third visit by the repairman (parts were replaced on each visit, but they could not get it to work), I called customer service at Cross Country who told me that if they could not fix it on the fourth visit that they would replace the dishwasher. After the 4th visit and more part being replace without fixing the problem I was told that Cross Country would be getting back to me about the process for replacing my dishwasher as the part identified as the problem could not be found. I then got a call from the repairman saying the part had been found and they would be back for a 5th visit.

Well they are here now and it has not fixed the problem. I have a broken dishwasher that is sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor, floor tiles that have been ripped out in order to remove the dishwasher due to the tight fit and a very unhappy wife. It has been this way for 2 months. I just got off the phone with customer service. I asked to speak to a supervisor. They tried 4 separate times to get a supervisor on the phone, to no avail. I was told that a supervisor would call me back within 24 to 48 hours...just like before when they said someone would call me back about getting a new dishwasher, but they never did. I am contacting my mortgage company to see if they can recommend another warranty company. I am so done with Cross Country Home Services.

Cross Country Home Services response

Michael, I'm sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’d like to speak with you to address your concerns. I've located your account and will have a member of my team reach out to you directly. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Cross Country offered to build it into the mortgage and it was convenient for me to do it like that. Their coverage plan was in line with the other warranty companies like American Home Shield and it's very valuable having a home warranty. I would refer Cross Country. It's value for the money.

Cross Country Home Services response

Donovan - Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know you were pleased with the service. - Austin

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I file my claims to Cross Country Home Services over the phone and then they call me back. They then send whatever company out in about a week. One time, they sent this company out for my freezer and the tech did what he had to do. He was very polite and I haven't had any problems since. Overall, Cross Country is professional, quick and they get the job done. I would definitely recommend them.

Cross Country Home Services response

Vicky, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Thanks! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Their customer service reps of Cross Country are all courteous and nice. We had a claim done with my bathrooms and the shower. We called it in and we had a co-pay. After that they fixed everything. All of the contractors were good except one. They would do sloppy work and I didn’t like the guy’s attitude. I don’t want them to come back to my house again.

I have two systems. One was upstairs and one down and they only would do free maintenance for one. I thought if you got to pay for the warranty and then you got two systems, why can’t you service both of them because the co-workers coming in last year had problem with the one downstairs. It was five days where we couldn’t even get it fixed. So we’ve had no heat downstairs. But that was an issue with the contractors. Cross Country did a good job and I would recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The coverage plan is great. It covers sewer, electrical and plumbing then if I had a garage, it would cover the garage door opener too. I would like the warranty to do structural but I don't think that would be under what they could afford. Still, the warranty covers a lot and I feel more confident. If something goes wrong, I know that it's gonna cost me $100 and that's it, unless there are other little fees that come up. But it would not be much more than that and that is really affordable.

I have a problem with calling in and trying to find somebody to help me though. I hate the robo-operator. I want a person because it's so hard to tell them what I need. When I get a person on the line, it's perfect. I can tell them exactly what I need, what's wrong and what type of service I need. They tell me where we would go and we're done. On the other hand, the companies that I've had are family-oriented businesses and I like that. Cross Country is using smaller people, not these big places, and I feel like I'm getting a better service from them because it's more personalized.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My water heater broke. I called the company and it took them 1 week to tell me that they can't find one. They told me they will pay after owners code got approved. It took 9 weeks to send me a check. With the wrong amount that they promised. I had to pay 1280$ to the plumber and now they sent me a check for $1072.57. They don't pay what they promise and we have 25 plumber in my town but none of them will take Cross Country because they don't pay all the repairs or the plumbers have to wait 4 month before they get paid. This company needs to be shut down and a class action lawsuit filed. They been giving me the run around. Nobody in this company cares.

Cross Country Home Services response

Regina, We are sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing obtaining the rest of your reimbursement. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. I will get a member of my team to review your cash credit and follow up accordingly. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I used the phone to submit a claim with Cross Country and it took a little while. But on the internet, it took them less than a couple of hours to have somebody out to the house. The contractor was excellent and the plan covers just about everything I need. Things would have cost more if I didn't have it.

Cross Country Home Services response

Sean, Our goal is to provide our homeowners with superb service and we are happy to hear we have met this objective. Thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We had to have our heat pump/ac unit replaced, after we had paid numerous times for the call out fee to the 'tech'. We had to pay to have it installed, $1800. Also, the duct work did not work with the new unit. They say they won't cover it. It's supposed to be covered under the plan we are on, unless it is "asbestos insulated ductwork or piping; ductwork insulation; concrete encased or inaccessible ductwork;" which is not any of those. It is old and needs replacing, and it doesn't line up with the new unit.

Apart from that not 17 months after we paid to have it installed, the unit BROKE!!! We then had to go and have another one installed and GUESS WHAT??? Yep, we had to pay to have this one installed AGAIN!!! What a rip off company. I am completely disgusted with not only the service but with the customer service over the phone also. A person who knows the company and its policies and speaks at least 50% English would be great, I don't know how many times we were hung up on, or asked to "CALM DOWN" over the phone. I am completely disgusted at the service we experienced, and would like a call back from someone other than 'the rep on the other end'. However, if you ask for a supervisor there is never one available. Which is disgusting. BBB will definitely be hearing about this.

Cross Country Home Services response

Tracey, I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have located your account and would like to follow up with you directly, can you please provide a good time to reach out. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We had great service while we had them which made me hesitate to write this review. But I saved the URL to come back here as I had a suspicion that they were going to do me wrong. I sold my house in February 2018 but my bank autopay kept paying premium on the property. When I finally realized this I had paid $276.43 in overpaid premium. When I called they first told me that they could only a smaller amount back, claiming that they bill in "arrears". I let that happen first, to see if I would get anything back. On 9/11/18 they credited my account $139.17.

I got Quicken Loans on the phone and we did a three way call with CCHS. Quicken had my back and CCHS backed down and then said that if I submitted my closing papers proving that I did sell the property they would pay me back the remaining amount they owed me. I emailed and faxed the closing papers immediately, Quicken was awesome in helping me -- as they sensed what was going on here. I waited weeks and called back, waiting hours on hold as sometimes they would just hang up on me. I found them on Facebook and messaged them there, I could see them opening my messages on chat. They pretended to help me there, and then replied to my email saying that a check was in the mail and I should wait 7-14 days BUSINESS days for the check to arrive. I waited 15 days.

No check. I tried to reach them back on Facebook but they blocked my account. OMG. So, I used another account, only gave them my name, and they knew exactly who I was. Now I was to wait while they reviewed it -- again. I asked them to not block my account again. I was sure to be most polite when dealing with them, they had no reason to block me. But it did show their true colors.

Over email this morning they claimed that they already paid me, but then they started to refer to the first half payment paid back in September. I was emailing me the same guy who spelled out that I was to expect a check for the remaining amount in 7-14 BUSINESS days. He then asked me to provide proof, again. I replied with a copy of his email and the documentation again showing the amount owed. He then emailed me "For further assistance in regards to payments owed to you, you would need to contact our membership services department. I only handle the claims side of the company. Their direct number is 800-247-3680."

I called again and spoke with a Yolanda. She was polite but only told me the same things they have been telling me forever. I asked her if she could copy me on the email she was sending to another department. She said she could not. I asked her how long I have to wait again. She said 7-10 days. I will never see this money. This company should be investigated. They are now part of Sears too, but their outgoing message states that they are their own underwriter but still part of Sears Warranty. I have not reached out to Sears. Instead, I emailed the Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi. I don't know if they will take my appeal. This is a shady company and I warn everyone to stay away from them.

Cross Country Home Services response

Richie, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. We have since had a payment processed back to you and you should be expecting the other half of your over payment for the policy. I appreciate making this right. Best Regards, Austin

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Updated on 11/03/2018: My repair never got done when told by repair now ok. It is impossible to get the same answers from them. Austin called back with a different but lower settlement price. DO NOT USE THIS SHADY COMPANY. They have a lawsuit pending against them.

Updated on 11/02/2018: Just spoke with Austin at Cross Country. It's the same garbage you hear when you call customer service. My issue was never resolved and they are trying to rip me off with a small check which I will not accept. I've asked over 10 times for a copy of contract. Never mailed. Austin is a waste of time.

Original Review: I have called at least dozen times and am told that they will be looking into claim but NEVER REPLY. I have left a note for Steve Upshaw on Link and he NEVER REPLIED and he is the CEO of this company. Very poorly run company that lies, cheats and fairs to repair.

Cross Country Home Services response

Jochem, We’re sorry you are having issues with a claim. Thank you for letting us know.Cross Country Home Services is always available to help with questions or concerns you may have. I have located your account and will have my team review your claim and follow up directly. Thanks, Austin

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I was looking at Cross Country features and cost and I decided to go with them. I file my claims online and it has been very positive and quick. It usually takes a day to get a contractor and the contractors have been very knowledgeable. There was just one time when one came and they decided they could not do the job so we had to find someone else to do that. But other than that, it has been extremely positive with their contractors. I've had Cross Country's services for several years now and I'm pretty satisfied with the coverage, although there are some things it doesn't cover. The coverage is what they said it was and that's fine. I've encouraged both my sons to consider them.

Cross Country Home Services response

Bryce, Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Our AC/heat pump went out in March 2018. We had a company come out and look. Tech was more interested in partying than working. Then we requested a different tech. They came out, said entire system needed replacing. Took 3 weeks to get system in. Scheduled install. Tech came out with unit, said it was incorrect unit. Went back to get correct one, came out and installed everything. AC worked great. Now months later found out they only installed AC. Now Cross Country wants us to pay $1800 MORE DOLLARS after we paid $3495 to have it installed. If we paid for a heat pump to be installed and they installed only AC... why are we paying extra for the right stuff when we paid for heat pump to begin with. Hire reputable people! Stop hiring criminals. The company that came out plainly ripped us off. The guy was a dope fiend. Went and got right unit and gave us some ole ** unit... tired of this mess.

Cross Country Home Services response

Rose, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations . We have located your account and are looking into alternate resolutions to your claim. We will follow up with you as soon as our review is completed. – Thanks Austin

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Submitting a claim with Cross Country is very easy. The first time though, I thought I had a claim for my zoned air-conditioner but they said I didn’t. It had something to do with the thermostat but that should be included in the warranty. Other than that, I've had two other claims, one for my garbage disposal and the other for my air-conditioner, and both of those interactions were excellent. I've been pleased with being able to get in touch with somebody at Cross Country. Also, the work companies that they contract with and the service people have all been very good. Cross Country gives me some comfort to know it's there. I'm maintaining it and would buy it again if I didn't have it.

Cross Country Home Services response

William, Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Cross Country Home Services expert review by Michele Lerner

In business since 1994, Cross Country Home Services offers home warranty, repair and maintenance services nationwide to over 75 million customers. The company also offers broker services to real estate offices.

• TotalProtect home warranty: Cross Country Home Services works with TotalProtect to provide multiple service plans and pricing options for your home.

• Covered appliances: TotalProtect’s home warranty packages cover items like your air conditioner, dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, dryer and oven.

• Workmanship guarantee: After any repairs are done on your home, those repairs are guaranteed for 180 days.

• Extensive service network: Cross Country Home Services has a network of over 40,000 service providers and continues to partner with new providers. If you’re a provider, you can join their network through Cross Country’s website.

• Best for: homeowners who want to protect their home appliances from failure.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Cross Country Home Services Company Information