2.83/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When it comes to home repairs, thousands of homeowners rely on Cross Country Home Services whenever their appliances or systems breakdown. From air conditioners, washers and dryers to dishwashers, refrigerators and ovens, Cross Country Home Services will take care of the problem you are facing. With a variety of plans available, CCHS allows you to select the coverage that best fits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our services and plans available!

BOTTOM LINE

Cross Country Home Services offers three plans that cover essential home systems and appliances. While cost can vary widely between different parts of the country, CCHS has generous coverage caps and valuable added protection for your home.

PROS

• Unknown pre-existing condition coverage
  • No aggregate annual caps
  • Rust and corrosion production
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Cancellation fee
  • High cost in some areas

Top Cross Country Home Services Reviews

12/23/2018

I'm satisfied with everything, including the timeliness and the quality of work. Everybody has been nice and friendly, and on average, it takes a day after a claim is filed for a contractor to come out. If something happens at night, I call 24/7 then I would have an appointment the next day.

02/06/2019

I’m happy with Cross Country Home Services and I'm very satisfied. Their monthly fee is great and their service is good and they send people out as soon as I call them. It’s pretty reliable. Also, the amount of coverage is good and I haven’t had any problems with any of the techs they've sent out.

Cross Country Home Services plans

Cross Country Home Services offers several different services to homeowners. While home warranties are one of the essential solutions they provide, they are unique in that they also supply smart home repair and maintenance (this is separate from the regular home warranties). The award-winning company has been in business for four decades, making them an experienced provider in the home warranty sector.

Homeowners can get warranties from the company no matter where they live in the U.S. Although the service contact centers are based out of Florida and South Carolina, Cross Country Home Services sells warranties to homeowners nationwide. The company has 24/7 availability all year long, with access to claims and service by phone or online at any time.

For homeowners, plans are available through Cross Country Home Services from TotalProtect Home Warranty. Repairs done under any of the plans are guaranteed for 180 days. There are three plan levels to give homeowners options that best meet their needs.

• Appliances Plan: This covers major appliances throughout the home that are necessary for daily living.
  • Systems Plan: If the systems in your home are the primary concern for you, the Systems Plan might be the right option. It covers major systems like heating, cooling, plumbing and more.
  • Combo Plan: The best option in terms of comprehensive coverage, this warranty gives homeowners peace of mind with complete coverage for all major systems and appliances.

For the real estate community, the company offers home warranties through HMS National. These warranties are designed to offer new home buyers or sellers additional protection and must be purchased through a real estate professional. Costs and coverages vary by location.

Cross Country Home Services cost

Plan costs and service call fees vary by region. Potential customers have the option for a free, instant quote online that gives a comparison of the monthly costs for each plan.

On average, the cost for Cross Country Home Services will range from just over $20 per month for the Appliances Plan to just over $80 per month for the Combo Plan. Across the board, the Appliances Plan is the least expensive and the Combo Plan is the most expensive because it is the most comprehensive.

Here’s an example of the cost variance:

PlanLocationAverage monthly cost
AppliancesCleveland, OH$22.95
 Boston, MA$35.95
SystemsCleveland, OH$33.95
 Boston, MA$73.95
ComboCleveland, OH$46.95
 Boston, MA$83.95
For most areas, the service call fee is $125 per repair/call, which is high for the industry.

Cross Country Home Services coverage

In many cases, purchasing a complete home protection plan with comprehensive coverage can make the most sense for modern homeowners. This alleviates the worry about breakdowns in both important appliances and essential systems. The Combo Plan is ideal for full coverage and includes the following.

Covered appliances

• Sump pumps
  • Trash compactors
  • Whirlpool bathtubs

Covered systems

• Attic or whole home exhaust fans
  • Central vacuums
  • Doorbells
  • Garage door opener
  • Heating and cooling systems
  • Interior gas and electrical lines
  • Main fuse box panel
  • Plumbing systems
  • Plumbing stoppages
  • Smoke detectors (wired)
  • Water heaters

This plan also includes optional coverage for pools and spas (cost varies), a homeowner’s insurance deductible reimbursement of up to $500, and protection against rust or corrosion on covered systems and appliances.

517 Cross Country Home Services Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I've learned now to do my claims online with Cross Country Home Services. But before then, I used to call in my claims all the time. I have a claim right now and I did it online, so I didn't have to speak to anybody this time. But every time before that, I've called in, and the Cross Country reps have always been very helpful. The website is user-friendly but the two items that I had prior fell in the same category, and I couldn't figure out how to add two. So, I ended up having to call. After I did it online, the rep added it on for me through the phone call.

I've had different contractors every time. For this claim I have now in one of my AC units not blowing properly, Cross Country gave me Sears. The tech came out and was very professional. Everybody has always been professional, but Sears is a well-known, branded company. The truck's got their names on it, and they have the uniforms on. It just looked like a professional company. All the time, the contractors don't have that presentation but they all have always been satisfying in their work.

Right now I have the platinum coverage, but I started off with the basic. I didn't really know as a homeowner because you have to go through experiences in order to know what you have, what you need. So, in-between the time I bought my home, I got divorced and I'm a single female who knows stuff because I am a homeowner, through experience.

I research, read, ask people, ask my neighbors, ask my friends. "Hey, you ever had this?" But I'm not the norm. For me, I need to make sure that I have the top-notch coverage because as a female, I don't wanna be out of pocket every time something breaks. So, for me, it was important to upgrade. I went to the platinum because one time, I had a stoppage in one my bathrooms, but it was after the fact that I found out that it wasn't covered. One of the technicians, he was like, "Well, you have to have it under your plan." I called the call center, and they said, "Oh, yeah, you had the gold" and then I ended up going platinum. And so, I was like, "Well, if it happens again," and thanks to god it didn't happen again, "I need to make sure that I can just make a call." It's so convenient to make a call, I know what my deductible is, and I go from there. For me, it's a total peace of mind.

My experience has been non-incidental every time. If something breaks, it gets fixed or replaced. I've had replacements and I've had repaired equipment. They have never once gave me problems whatsoever. I hear the technicians give me horror stories about some of the companies, about going through the red tape. And they said, "Oh, you have Cross Country, you're in good hands." So, I'm like, if I ever start having problems, I would say, "Oh, who?" They say, "Oh, yeah, you're in good hands." “Tell me the ones not to get.” Even the technicians, if I ask them, they have never had any negative comments to me about Cross Country. If I ever have problems and I'm 10 years in, I'd like to know where I need to go shop around at instead of going in the dark. They would tell me the truth.

Cross Country Home Services response

Helena, Thanks for providing your feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoy using our website, and that you’ve experienced the benefit your home warranty provides. – Christine

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

With us being elderly and the prices of things going up, it makes good sense that we put a warranty on our stuff at home. I carry insurance on my car and I think the home warranty is a good deal too. There were a couple of times, however, that we had a hard time getting in touch with Cross Country to put in claims. And then once we got them, they had a hard time finding somebody to do the work. For my air conditioning, they sent a guy out of Atlanta, which is two hours away from my house. There was a warranty part on the unit he installed that has a recall, but the home warranty told us that they wouldn’t handle it. They said the installer would handle it so we called him but he no longer works for the home warranty service. He wanted to charge us $80 just to come out here and charge us as well for shipping of the part. My wife went back and forth with Cross Country about the issue but, long story short, the recall never got handled on the new air conditioning.

Years ago, we also had a heater deal, and it took a couple of days for them to get somebody to come out to it. The heater part of the air condition broke down during the winter when it got cold. I was told that it was due to the installer who programmed it wrong so when it got really cold, it shut itself down. We then called and asked why we owed a $100 deductible if it was the installer's problem, and they got back with us. Another time, I had an issue with the dryer and the guy came out but he wasn’t able to fix it. He came out two or three times but the dryer kept doing the same noise. So I just bought a new one, and we notified Cross Country, and then they reimbursed me my deductible for buying a new dryer.

Then the last two times, Sears Warranty had been sent, and they've been right out. I was really expecting to pay more money in my part of the new air condition, but Cross Country treated me so right on that. My part on the replacement of the unit was very fair. All in all, my experience with them has been good and I've been happy with them. I’ve spoken highly of them, especially when they made arrangements to get me a brand new air conditioning unit.

Cross Country Home Services response

Charles, I’m sorry to hear that it hasn’t always been the easiest claim process, please know we are continuously monitoring this process to ensure we offer the best possible experience. We’re happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with the service and savings your home warranty provides. Thanks for sharing!- Amanda

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

At $45 a month, Residential MD covers all the stuff. I told them to sign me up and at this point, I've been with these people for about eight years. We've submitted several claims, from plumbing to microwave. They've also done our hot water heater and central air conditioning. The most recent is the refrigerator and almost every time, it's turned out well.

So far, we haven't had to argue too much over what is covered other than with the plumbing claim in the beginning. But it's all been good. They just sent us a check for $1,750 for a refrigerator that's three years old. We could not get the ice maker to work and they are replacing the whole thing over an ice maker. They had come out for the refrigerator several times over the last three years but after they replaced it the third time, it still wasn’t working. The situation is like our microwave. They couldn't get parts and once they can't get the parts, they call us and tell us what they can do. They offered us a buyout.

They've been trying to go to a more automated system when you make a claim now. I used to call and tell them the issue then they would set me up. Everybody's going online but sometimes, you just wanna talk to a live person. Still, I can go online to say we need something fixed. I just pop it in then they give us the phone number of the repair person. I've only had one issue. That was when they said they did not have anybody in our area who could come out and repair the hot water heater. They were going to research finding somebody. I told them they were gonna have to move a little faster because I was not gonna accept that for an answer. We ended up calling somebody ourselves. We paid for it then they reimbursed us what we paid.

But nobody has been rude. They always answer the phone and they've always been very professional with me. If they don’t know what to do, then they'll escalate it to the next department. Sometimes it's not immediate that they back to you but they're fairly good about getting back. We had a plumber that got crossways with them. He said he couldn't stand them but I think it's on the end of the service people getting paid. In my experience, we've had some issues but there has been nothing that I haven't been willing to overlook. They raised the deductible though. It started out at $75 then it went to $85. Now, it's 100. So anytime we call somebody out, we're out of $100. But they've never raised the price on me. I've been paying $44.95 since day one. For a very minimal amount, I've got a new central AC and a new hot water tank, other than the new refrigerator I'm in the process of getting. I would recommend the warranty.

Cross Country Home Services response

Toni, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Morgan

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Compared to the home warranty company that we had used, I like Cross Country Home Services better. The other one did not have the preventative maintenance. It was only for repairs and we are big preventative maintenance kinda people with our cars and so it was a good fit for us. Cross Country was introduced to us when we did a refinance. The mortgage broker told us about them, then I compared some prices. We then saw the preventative maintenance aspect and decided to go with them. However, although I could do the claims online, I always had to call a person for the preventative maintenance. I’ve never understood why I wasn’t able to do it online and then 20% of the time, it went really bad. I would get people who did not understand the preventative maintenance aspect and put in a claim instead. Although this last one, it looked like I could do the preventative maintenance online.

However, I still had to call because once I got to the end, it wasn’t preventative maintenance but a claim because it said I was going to owe my deductible. That's not true. With preventative maintenance, there is no deductible. So, even though they updated the system, and I was very pleased initially because I thought I can do my preventative maintenance online, it did not go through without a glitch. I ended up having to call someone to get this worked out. Worse, I didn't know if it worked out because I did not receive an email confirmation, which I usually do. The person and the number Cross Country reps told me to call said I should call him back in two weeks as he was really busy. I just called him and left a message again. I'm gonna wait 24 hours for the person to respond and if I don't hear from him, I will contact Cross Country and tell them to assign me to somebody else as the person is obviously too busy and I’m not happy at all.

In addition, I have watched the deductible go up through the years and so at some point, I may have to do some price checking to see if that’s still within the proper market rates. But I did get reassurance from someone who had to come out and fix my stove. I asked the guy if I hadn’t gone through Cross Country, what would I be paying. He said the $125 is okay. He added that the parts may be so expensive but most of the service providers have a very hefty just-walk-in-the-door charge. Hearing that from him, I thought Cross Country is still a good product for what I have. Besides, we're very happy and the repair of that stove went great. The person that they sent out was also wonderful. He came out, ordered the part, came back, put it in and finally contacted me. Given that the preventative maintenance aspect is what I’ve liked, I have absolutely recommended Cross Country to people.

Cross Country Home Services response

Patty, I’m glad we exceeded your expectations! We aim to provide excellent service even in unexpected situations such as yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it! – Austin

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Cross Country's customer service is fine when I talked to them on the phone and some of the people they send out are good, but 30% of my experience with their providers have been bad, which was mostly the guy with the washer. Our washer was leaking and the vendor was iffy. They weren’t bad, but they didn’t fix it the first time or the second time. The third time, they said it wasn’t broken, but it was because they forgot to put one of the bolts into where it rotates to dry out the water. When the washer ran, it went dun, dun, dun, and then, we called them and they said it was normal.

I told them that it sounded like it was coming apart and the washer didn’t do that before they supposedly fixed it, but they kept saying it was fine when they left. It was fine till the bolt fell out because they didn’t put the nut back on, so I had a hassle with them on that. Cross Country told me I have to talk to the vendor. I told them that’s what I’m paying them for and if they're not going to talk to the provider, then I don’t need them. They called the vendor and the vendor came back out for the last time to put the bolt back.

The last contractor I had was for my air conditioning unit. I called on a Sunday night, which I was surprised someone answered. The lady from the air conditioning company called me the same night and said they'll send somebody out the following day. I said great and the tech was here 7 o’clock the next morning. He fixed the ac in five minutes and he was great. The time before that, it took the guy four days to come out, but it was in the middle of summer, so I understood the timeframe. The guy had to come back because he didn’t have the part, but he came back, fixed it and the service was fine.

If you get a good guy, then you’re okay. If you don’t, then… you call back, say the guy didn’t work out and ask them to send somebody. It's like spin the wheel of good provider. The guy comes out and fixes it at one time. The other guy comes out and tells me it’s broken. It’s like an argument. I have another friend that has a different home warranty people and the experience depends on who the warranty company sends out. They'll send out a great person and they’ll fix it or they’ll send somebody else out and they look at it and go, “is that the washing machine?” if they don’t know what it is, then they have to leave because they can’t fix it.

Cross Country Home Services response

Leonard, We appreciate you taking the time to share your claim experiences! We try our best to provide quick and reliable service and are pleased to hear that this has been your experience. Sincerely, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cross Country Home Services?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Refrigerator bought in Spring in 2018 new. Went down for 4-5 weeks in May 2019. Failed computer board. Down again Sept. 2019. Hours of phone time to get an initial service visit. 2nd opinion required for the repair, in almost 2 weeks. That's just to get someone here to look. Add more time if they order parts, and then reschedule another tech to the house. Was told that they do not have enough network techs to do the service calls. My case is elevated to emergency with 7 children in the home, wasting money on food loss, can't keep perishables in house, and their since of emergency does not compute with me. My experience and opinion is that this is a low quality poorly operating warranty service program that does not have enough techs. The way this is going...I should have never bought this warranty with Cross Country/Sears.

Cross Country Home Services response

Kurt– We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining service. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. We've located your account and will review your claim. A member of our team will contact you once the investigation is complete to address your concerns. - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

We had received good service under a Sears Home Warranty plan that we had for several years. In March of 2019 we had a service call on that account and the serviceman said that Sears was going out of the Home Warranty Business and that we had to switch to a new plan. He canceled our plan which was good until August 2019 and gave us a $100 Visa card to switch to Cross Country.

In July we needed AC work done and their tech and a tech I obtained both said they should replace the unit and they refused and elected to replace the evaporator coil which according to their tech cost more than $2300 and he said it would not fix the problem for long. He ordered the part and it took 16 days to get the unit back online. I asked them to give me the $2300 and I would pay the difference to get a new unit but the refused. The unit lasted about a month and it started running all the time and would not keep my home cool. Their tech came back out and told me he could not find anything mechanically wrong on his check and that he did not know what to do. I called Cross county and they refused to do anything and said I was under contract for one year and could not cancel or they would sue me. This company and their warranty and service are as worthless as can be and is nothing but theft.

Cross Country Home Services response

Leonard, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the level of service we aim to provide. My team and I would like to take a look into your claim to see how we can help. Please provide me with your full property address so my team can investigate and follow up with you personally. Thanks, Dena

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

My washer has been out for three weeks now. Every time I call they say it’s with the research department and I will receive an email soon. It has been there for a week already!! They tell me I can’t speak with them because they don’t take phone calls. There is no manager or supervisor to speak with. I just have to wait!!! I will be canceling my warranty with this company after this issue is resolved!!!! Worst customer services ever!!!!

Cross Country Home Services response

Sheila, We truly apologize for the inconvenience you’re experiencing without a working washing machine. I have located your claim and will have my team follow up with you directly once our investigation is complete. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Every claim that I've called in to Cross Country has been handled pretty good, except one of them. My washer went out and the technician came out and discovered that the parts were obsolete, and that they wouldn't be able to find any because they checked. Cross Country made me wait between 24 to 48 hours because they wanted to do research on their distributors, and once they found out that the parts were obsolete just like the technician told them, then they offered me a replacement or a buyout, and I chose the replacement. But I had to go out and wash two different times, which was an inconvenience when you own a home and you have your own washer and dryer, and by taking the technician's word on that they would be able to get the parts and go ahead and process everything to get me my washer. But I got over that.

I called in whenever I submitted a claim and the automated system assisted me on what I needed. And from that point, Cross Country gave me a number of the person that would be coming out to look at it in order for me to contact them. The coverage that I have is still good. When I started out, my deductible was $80. And then they went up $20, so it's $100 now. But everything has been cool with Cross Country. They do what they do and come out and they take care of it all.

Cross Country Home Services response

Larry, We’re sorry to hear of the issues you had with your recent clothes washer claim. Rest assured, our goal is to make managing home repairs easy and we are pleased to hear that you are overall you’ve been satisfied with your service. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I’ve had several claims with Cross Country. One claim was for my refrigerator, and they worked on it several times, and they finally got it fixed after about a year. But they kept getting new parts for it. And in the end, they got the right part after they replaced every part in the refrigerator. But when I had a claim for the trash compactor, they replaced it, which was good. Recently, I had trouble with my washing machine, and they replaced it as well. So, I’ve had pretty good service with them.

Cross Country Home Services response

Phala, We’re sorry to hear of the ongoing issues with your refrigerator, and appreciate you taking the time to share you experience. Ultimately, our goal is to make managing home repairs easy and we are pleased to hear that you are overall satisfied with your service. Sincerely, Austin

Cross Country Home Services coverage exclusions

Cross Country Home Warranty Services are designed to cover the mechanical breakdown of common household appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. The warranty doesn’t extend to cover breakdowns due to misuse, abuse or manufacturer defect. The warranty also won’t cover damage due to acts of God, like a fire or natural disaster.

Your contract will provide a list of which parts of each covered appliance and system are excluded from coverage. For example, CCHS covers central vacuum systems as part of their combo plan. This coverage includes coverage for the system’s motor, relay, switches and wiring, but their contract specifies that it does not cover attachments, hoses, handles, knobs, panels and/or cabinetry. You can find a full list of exclusions via Cross Country Home Services sample contract.

Cross Country Home Services coverage limits

There is no maximum on the coverage limits or payouts for repairs or replacements for covered appliances or systems, although there may be a dollar amount limit restriction on certain items. The dollar amount limits they do set are pretty generous.

ItemCCHS Coverage Limit
Outside gas line$2,000
Outside sewer line$3,000
Outside water line$2,000

Cross Country Home Services claims

When you notice an appliance or system isn’t functioning properly, contact CCHS right away to file a claim and get service scheduled. To request service from Cross Country Home Services:

1. Call the service number or request service online.
  2. CCHS will provide a referral to one of their approved contractors within two hours (24 hours if your request is submitted outside of business hours).
  3. Schedule your service.
  4. Pay the contractor your service call fee at the time work is performed.

Cross Country Home Services backs their service contractors’ work with a 180-day workmanship guarantee. If you experience the same issue with your repaired item within that time, CCHS will cover the cost of another repair at no additional charge (or service call fee) to you.

Cross Country Home Services FAQ

Is a home inspection required to get a Cross Country Home Services warranty?
No. No inspection is required.
Are Cross Country Home Services and TotalProtect Home Warranty the same?
Cross Country Home Services is the parent company of both TotalProtect and HMS Home Warranty. Services and prices may vary between the three.
Is there a cancellation fee for Cross Country Home Services?
Yes, there is a $25 processing fee applied to cancelling service with CCHS after the 30 days waiting period. There is also a 10 percent per month fee, which will also be applied to your refund after the waiting period. There is no fee if you cancel within the 30 days window.

Is Cross Country Home Services worth it?

There are several aspects of Cross Country Home Services warranties that set them apart from competitors. Their decades of experience, combined with numerous awards and a nationwide network with pre-approved service technicians, show the company’s dedication to reliability. The coverage for unknown pre-existing conditions, three plan options and 180-day workmanship guarantee make them a top choice in home warranty providers.

Cross Country Home Services Company Information