3.15/5
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When it comes to home repairs, thousands of homeowners rely on Cross Country Home Services whenever their appliances or systems breakdown. From air conditioners, washers and dryers to dishwashers, refrigerators and ovens, Cross Country Home Services will take care of the problem you are facing. With a variety of plans available, CCHS allows you to select the coverage that best fits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our services and plans available!

BOTTOM LINE

Cross Country Home Services offers three plans that cover essential home systems and appliances. While cost can vary widely between different parts of the country, CCHS has generous coverage caps and valuable added protection for your home.

PROS

• Unknown pre-existing condition coverage
  • No aggregate annual caps
  • Rust and corrosion production
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Cancellation fee
  • High cost in some areas

Top Cross Country Home Services Reviews

12/23/2018

I'm satisfied with everything, including the timeliness and the quality of work. Everybody has been nice and friendly, and on average, it takes a day after a claim is filed for a contractor to come out. If something happens at night, I call 24/7 then I would have an appointment the next day.

02/06/2019

I’m happy with Cross Country Home Services and I'm very satisfied. Their monthly fee is great and their service is good and they send people out as soon as I call them. It’s pretty reliable. Also, the amount of coverage is good and I haven’t had any problems with any of the techs they've sent out.

Cross Country Home Services plans

Cross Country Home Services offers several different services to homeowners. While home warranties are one of the essential solutions they provide, they are unique in that they also supply smart home repair and maintenance (this is separate from the regular home warranties). The award-winning company has been in business for four decades, making them an experienced provider in the home warranty sector.

Homeowners can get warranties from the company no matter where they live in the U.S. Although the service contact centers are based out of Florida and South Carolina, Cross Country Home Services sells warranties to homeowners nationwide. The company has 24/7 availability all year long, with access to claims and service by phone or online at any time.

For homeowners, plans are available through Cross Country Home Services from TotalProtect Home Warranty. Repairs done under any of the plans are guaranteed for 180 days. There are three plan levels to give homeowners options that best meet their needs.

• Appliances Plan: This covers major appliances throughout the home that are necessary for daily living.
  • Systems Plan: If the systems in your home are the primary concern for you, the Systems Plan might be the right option. It covers major systems like heating, cooling, plumbing and more.
  • Combo Plan: The best option in terms of comprehensive coverage, this warranty gives homeowners peace of mind with complete coverage for all major systems and appliances.

For the real estate community, the company offers home warranties through HMS National. These warranties are designed to offer new home buyers or sellers additional protection and must be purchased through a real estate professional. Costs and coverages vary by location.

Cross Country Home Services cost

Plan costs and service call fees vary by region. Potential customers have the option for a free, instant quote online that gives a comparison of the monthly costs for each plan.

On average, the cost for Cross Country Home Services will range from just over $20 per month for the Appliances Plan to just over $80 per month for the Combo Plan. Across the board, the Appliances Plan is the least expensive and the Combo Plan is the most expensive because it is the most comprehensive.

Here’s an example of the cost variance:

PlanLocationAverage monthly cost
AppliancesCleveland, OH$22.95
 Boston, MA$35.95
SystemsCleveland, OH$33.95
 Boston, MA$73.95
ComboCleveland, OH$46.95
 Boston, MA$83.95
For most areas, the service call fee is $125 per repair/call, which is high for the industry.

Cross Country Home Services coverage

In many cases, purchasing a complete home protection plan with comprehensive coverage can make the most sense for modern homeowners. This alleviates the worry about breakdowns in both important appliances and essential systems. The Combo Plan is ideal for full coverage and includes the following.

Covered appliances

• Sump pumps
  • Trash compactors
  • Whirlpool bathtubs

Covered systems

• Attic or whole home exhaust fans
  • Central vacuums
  • Doorbells
  • Garage door opener
  • Heating and cooling systems
  • Interior gas and electrical lines
  • Main fuse box panel
  • Plumbing systems
  • Plumbing stoppages
  • Smoke detectors (wired)
  • Water heaters

This plan also includes optional coverage for pools and spas (cost varies), a homeowner’s insurance deductible reimbursement of up to $500, and protection against rust or corrosion on covered systems and appliances.

452 Cross Country Home Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 21, 2019

With us being elderly and the prices of things going up, it makes good sense that we put a warranty on our stuff at home. I carry insurance on my car and I think the home warranty is a good deal too. There were a couple of times, however, that we had a hard time getting in touch with Cross Country to put in claims. And then once we got them, they had a hard time finding somebody to do the work. For my air conditioning, they sent a guy out of Atlanta, which is two hours away from my house. There was a warranty part on the unit he installed that has a recall, but the home warranty told us that they wouldn’t handle it. They said the installer would handle it so we called him but he no longer works for the home warranty service. He wanted to charge us $80 just to come out here and charge us as well for shipping of the part. My wife went back and forth with Cross Country about the issue but, long story short, the recall never got handled on the new air conditioning.

Years ago, we also had a heater deal, and it took a couple of days for them to get somebody to come out to it. The heater part of the air condition broke down during the winter when it got cold. I was told that it was due to the installer who programmed it wrong so when it got really cold, it shut itself down. We then called and asked why we owed a $100 deductible if it was the installer's problem, and they got back with us. Another time, I had an issue with the dryer and the guy came out but he wasn’t able to fix it. He came out two or three times but the dryer kept doing the same noise. So I just bought a new one, and we notified Cross Country, and then they reimbursed me my deductible for buying a new dryer.

Then the last two times, Sears Warranty had been sent, and they've been right out. I was really expecting to pay more money in my part of the new air condition, but Cross Country treated me so right on that. My part on the replacement of the unit was very fair. All in all, my experience with them has been good and I've been happy with them. I’ve spoken highly of them, especially when they made arrangements to get me a brand new air conditioning unit.

Cross Country Home Services response

Charles, I’m sorry to hear that it hasn’t always been the easiest claim process, please know we are continuously monitoring this process to ensure we offer the best possible experience. We’re happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with the service and savings your home warranty provides. Thanks for sharing!- Amanda

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

At $45 a month, Residential MD covers all the stuff. I told them to sign me up and at this point, I've been with these people for about eight years. We've submitted several claims, from plumbing to microwave. They've also done our hot water heater and central air conditioning. The most recent is the refrigerator and almost every time, it's turned out well.

So far, we haven't had to argue too much over what is covered other than with the plumbing claim in the beginning. But it's all been good. They just sent us a check for $1,750 for a refrigerator that's three years old. We could not get the ice maker to work and they are replacing the whole thing over an ice maker. They had come out for the refrigerator several times over the last three years but after they replaced it the third time, it still wasn’t working. The situation is like our microwave. They couldn't get parts and once they can't get the parts, they call us and tell us what they can do. They offered us a buyout.

They've been trying to go to a more automated system when you make a claim now. I used to call and tell them the issue then they would set me up. Everybody's going online but sometimes, you just wanna talk to a live person. Still, I can go online to say we need something fixed. I just pop it in then they give us the phone number of the repair person. I've only had one issue. That was when they said they did not have anybody in our area who could come out and repair the hot water heater. They were going to research finding somebody. I told them they were gonna have to move a little faster because I was not gonna accept that for an answer. We ended up calling somebody ourselves. We paid for it then they reimbursed us what we paid.

But nobody has been rude. They always answer the phone and they've always been very professional with me. If they don’t know what to do, then they'll escalate it to the next department. Sometimes it's not immediate that they back to you but they're fairly good about getting back. We had a plumber that got crossways with them. He said he couldn't stand them but I think it's on the end of the service people getting paid. In my experience, we've had some issues but there has been nothing that I haven't been willing to overlook. They raised the deductible though. It started out at $75 then it went to $85. Now, it's 100. So anytime we call somebody out, we're out of $100. But they've never raised the price on me. I've been paying $44.95 since day one. For a very minimal amount, I've got a new central AC and a new hot water tank, other than the new refrigerator I'm in the process of getting. I would recommend the warranty.

Cross Country Home Services response

Toni, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Morgan

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Compared to the home warranty company that we had used, I like Cross Country Home Services better. The other one did not have the preventative maintenance. It was only for repairs and we are big preventative maintenance kinda people with our cars and so it was a good fit for us. Cross Country was introduced to us when we did a refinance. The mortgage broker told us about them, then I compared some prices. We then saw the preventative maintenance aspect and decided to go with them. However, although I could do the claims online, I always had to call a person for the preventative maintenance. I’ve never understood why I wasn’t able to do it online and then 20% of the time, it went really bad. I would get people who did not understand the preventative maintenance aspect and put in a claim instead. Although this last one, it looked like I could do the preventative maintenance online.

However, I still had to call because once I got to the end, it wasn’t preventative maintenance but a claim because it said I was going to owe my deductible. That's not true. With preventative maintenance, there is no deductible. So, even though they updated the system, and I was very pleased initially because I thought I can do my preventative maintenance online, it did not go through without a glitch. I ended up having to call someone to get this worked out. Worse, I didn't know if it worked out because I did not receive an email confirmation, which I usually do. The person and the number Cross Country reps told me to call said I should call him back in two weeks as he was really busy. I just called him and left a message again. I'm gonna wait 24 hours for the person to respond and if I don't hear from him, I will contact Cross Country and tell them to assign me to somebody else as the person is obviously too busy and I’m not happy at all.

In addition, I have watched the deductible go up through the years and so at some point, I may have to do some price checking to see if that’s still within the proper market rates. But I did get reassurance from someone who had to come out and fix my stove. I asked the guy if I hadn’t gone through Cross Country, what would I be paying. He said the $125 is okay. He added that the parts may be so expensive but most of the service providers have a very hefty just-walk-in-the-door charge. Hearing that from him, I thought Cross Country is still a good product for what I have. Besides, we're very happy and the repair of that stove went great. The person that they sent out was also wonderful. He came out, ordered the part, came back, put it in and finally contacted me. Given that the preventative maintenance aspect is what I’ve liked, I have absolutely recommended Cross Country to people.

Cross Country Home Services response

Patty, I’m glad we exceeded your expectations! We aim to provide excellent service even in unexpected situations such as yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it! – Austin

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Cross Country's customer service is fine when I talked to them on the phone and some of the people they send out are good, but 30% of my experience with their providers have been bad, which was mostly the guy with the washer. Our washer was leaking and the vendor was iffy. They weren’t bad, but they didn’t fix it the first time or the second time. The third time, they said it wasn’t broken, but it was because they forgot to put one of the bolts into where it rotates to dry out the water. When the washer ran, it went dun, dun, dun, and then, we called them and they said it was normal.

I told them that it sounded like it was coming apart and the washer didn’t do that before they supposedly fixed it, but they kept saying it was fine when they left. It was fine till the bolt fell out because they didn’t put the nut back on, so I had a hassle with them on that. Cross Country told me I have to talk to the vendor. I told them that’s what I’m paying them for and if they're not going to talk to the provider, then I don’t need them. They called the vendor and the vendor came back out for the last time to put the bolt back.

The last contractor I had was for my air conditioning unit. I called on a Sunday night, which I was surprised someone answered. The lady from the air conditioning company called me the same night and said they'll send somebody out the following day. I said great and the tech was here 7 o’clock the next morning. He fixed the ac in five minutes and he was great. The time before that, it took the guy four days to come out, but it was in the middle of summer, so I understood the timeframe. The guy had to come back because he didn’t have the part, but he came back, fixed it and the service was fine.

If you get a good guy, then you’re okay. If you don’t, then… you call back, say the guy didn’t work out and ask them to send somebody. It's like spin the wheel of good provider. The guy comes out and fixes it at one time. The other guy comes out and tells me it’s broken. It’s like an argument. I have another friend that has a different home warranty people and the experience depends on who the warranty company sends out. They'll send out a great person and they’ll fix it or they’ll send somebody else out and they look at it and go, “is that the washing machine?” if they don’t know what it is, then they have to leave because they can’t fix it.

Cross Country Home Services response

Leonard, We appreciate you taking the time to share your claim experiences! We try our best to provide quick and reliable service and are pleased to hear that this has been your experience. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 6, 2018

I've used Cross Country for years and so far, I’ve had a great experience. It represents security for us. I could not afford to replace my appliances. I also have it on my rental homes for the same reason. A couple of years ago, the air handle went. We had to wait a day or so but the man came out on a Sunday and fixed it. The garbage disposal went this past year and they replaced it as well as the sink faucet. To me, it's invaluable. And two weeks ago, the air conditioner went. And this time, the dishwasher, the washing machine and the refrigerator broke down within the same week. They replaced the dishwasher, the washing machine and the water heater.

The refrigerator is 20 years old and it came with the house. The man for the refrigerator said they replaced the gasket for the freezer and it still wasn’t sealing right. He told them how to readjust it and hopefully, that will work, but if not, I’m gonna have to call Cross Country again. When something needs to be replaced, they do and I don’t need to argue about it. One of the service providers in town were relatively new as far as appliance repair. They didn’t know what they were looking at and they tried to replace the drum in the washing machine. It’s supposedly new but it was cracked and they were still gonna put it in. I told them no and that it’s not gonna work. So, the Hamilton service providers do not have enough knowledge yet to be good providers but that the other ones that came were very good.

When I submitted the claims, the reps were very polite, professional and efficient. They wrote up the claim right away and gave me a person to contact in order to verify appointments. Sometimes, they would write an appointment and that appointment does not correspond with what the provider has to do but they always gave me the telephone number so we could work. If it wasn’t convenient for me or them, we could work in a more convenient time for both of us. So, after the call, I knew who was gonna help me.

I pay $60 a month because I have a big house. That covers two water heaters, a well pump, dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer, washer and dryer and the AC. And then, I pay a flat rate fee of $125 which is high but you can call in all three appliances and that is all you’re paying. When you think about it, it only cost me $125 to replace my dishwasher, refrigerator, water heater and washing machine. We were on a fixed income so I can plan on my monthly amount and I know what I can pay. For my rentals, they subtract the $125 from the rent which was fine because it doesn’t come out of my pocket. I can plan on more things which is very helpful.

If you have a home, things start to fall apart and they don't make appliances like they used to. You don't know when these things are gonna go out. The service that Cross Country provides is excellent and I recommend it to people. Plus, they have the plan where every quarter, someone will come out and just look at your stuff and help make sure everything is running as it should. I really need to take more advantage of that and that opportunity is available to people, so I tell them all about Cross Country.

Cross Country Home Services response

Diane - We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs and appreciate your feedback. Our ultimate goal is to provide an effortless claim experience and make managing home repairs easy. Thank you for being a truly valued customer! Sincerely, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cross Country Home Services?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

Called to request service 4/24/19 due to HVAC not cooling. Sears repair came out but it just so happens the unit started back cooling. I explained that the unit does cool when the temperature gets higher. Service guy charged the filter and stated that I should keep the thermostat on 75. He did not find any major issue. Well 7 days later the unit stopped cooling again. I called in a follow-up service due to the HVAC not cooling. The customer service rep assured me that I did not have to pay the deductible within 180 days of the first service if the same issue persisted. It took the vendor 3 weeks to finally come by.

Once he finished his service he asked for the deductible since his service request did not state recall work. I called customer service. They confirmed it was a recall and asked us to call the authorization department. The representative stated the service was a recall however, since the first service did not find a system failure I would have to pay the deductible again. Makes no sense if the first vendor misdiagnosed and the issue persisted. I am ready to call it quits with this company.

Cross Country Home Services response

Patricia, I’m sorry to hear this has been your experience. As with all warranties, there are certain policies and procedures when placing a recall which must be met in order to waive the deductible. In this instance since there was a new failure identified, it was not considered a recall. We regret any misunderstanding of our recall policy. Respectfully, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

I filed my first claim on my air conditioner because it was not working. It took over for weeks for them to get somebody out here to look at the unit. After that I waited another two weeks for them to tell me I was turned down for repairs because the provider said that the unit had not been taken care of and was leaking for over 5 years. I have receipts on repairs that I've had done to my AC unit. My unit has worked fine until this summer when I fired it up and nothing but hot air came out. The provider said that the unit's condenser core was leaking and needed to be replaced because of the age and availability of parts. And the home warranty company told me that they would not cover it because of neglect. To me this is fraud because I know my unit has since I've owned this home. I would not recommend this company to anybody not even my worst enemy.

Cross Country Home Services response

David, We appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. Your warranty addresses mechanical failures due to normal wear and tear within your contract term. Our records indicate that you have informed us that you have added Freon for quite some time now and this failure has occurred prior to your effective date. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of your warranty booklet that was mailed to you upon enrollment. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding which occurred. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: May 15, 2019

We have spent 3 weeks without a refrigerator. The service company has come out three times already with a week between each visit to wait for the part. The service provider has tried to get a replacement 2 times saying the unit could not be fixed. Cross Country has refused to replace and is sending out a new service tech to verify the findings of the first service technician.

They are hard to get a hold of. In my case I was never able to get to a live person without at least a 30 minute wait. Some of the operators can be very rude and you cannot be transferred to a supervisor. They have to call you back. I requested that option twice and have never had a call back yet. We are still waiting for the second service company to set up an appointment. They say 24 hours for a call back from the service provider and we've heard nothing for 2 days.

Cross Country Home Services response

Philip, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the level of service we aim to provide. Our records indicate that since this review you have a confirmed appointment on May 20th. Should you need further assistance, please respond with the best time and phone number to reach you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 15, 2019

I've used other warranty companies and Cross Country is way better. Their reps were excellent. Doing my claims online is faster than when I call, and it has been very easy. But there was a time we missed the first appointment because the tech didn't have the part. But the second one did a perfect job. He was very polite and very professional. So they contract some good company and some bad company. The good companies are actually worth waiting for. So I don't complain. Cross Country has outstanding service. I would tell others to go with them.

Cross Country Home Services response

Ghalib - We are delighted to hear that overall you are pleased with our service and would refer our warranty to others. You've been a loyal customer for several years, and we appreciate you taking the time to leave this review! Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 14, 2019

Placed my very first service request for air conditioner service on April 22nd. After waiting a few days the service provider came, diagnosed the issue and said he had to wait for parts authorization from CCHS. After a week of waiting I called provider and was told he was still waiting to hear from CCHS. I called CCHS customer service and was told it was “still in research”. I have been promised updates and return phone calls. None have happened. I have now called on 4 consecutive days and am told it is “still in research”. It is now 3 weeks since requesting service and we are no closer to resolution. 90 degree weather and no AC after three weeks. This is my first claim. Second guessing my decision.

Cross Country Home Services response

Mark, I'm sorry to hear about the delays you have experienced during your air conditioning claim. The service you've received is definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’ll be glad to look into your claim to see how we can help expedite the resolution. My team will review and contact you back directly once our review is complete. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

The reps I've dealt with at Cross Country were nice. When I file a claim, I do it over the phone, and they know all right. Usually, it takes about a day for a contractor to come out then sometimes they have to leave and come back. But their customer service and their quality of work are all right.

Cross Country Home Services response

Thomas, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are here to help for all your warranty needs to provide a peace of mind. Have a great weekend! - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

On February 12, 2019 a Sears technician came to repair my washer. (I purchased the warranty through a Sears technician who repaired the washer in January.) Parts needed to be ordered and I was told when they arrived to contact Sears and an appointment would be scheduled to complete the repairs. My 1st follow up call was around February 27, 2019 because an appointment was scheduled and canceled but not by me. The parts were still being researched. The parts were no longer available and the washer needed to be replaced.

Two additional technicians were sent out and confirmed that there were no parts. One technician gave me the order number for a new washer. Over 25 calls have been made because each call that was made required a return phone, supervisors are not available to assist in immediate resolutions. I had been told to expect a return call within 24-48 hours. I have received 3 return calls over a course of 90 days. One call from a supervisor. Left a message on my voicemail informing me that I need to contact the manufacturer and order the part and pay someone to install it because Cross Country does not cover mechanical repairs. She was not the only one that shared this option with me. I have been hung up on (failure to call back). I have been told to just cancel the service.

On April 15, 2019 I spoke with a supervisor who again told me to contact the manufacturer myself and questioned my request because I was a new customer to the company and it was a possibility that the repair occurred prior to me purchasing the warranty. She wanted to send another tech out but I refused. I shared my frustration and asked why I was continuously being asked to contact the manufacturer as Cross Country had already contacted the manufacturer and the parts were no longer available.

That evening I received a callback and she asked the color was my washer, it's gray. I received an email with the option to order a washer or a cash payout. The email told me to confirm the dimensions and color. I chose the washer, but when I reviewed the washer it was white. I contacted customer service and shared that there was a grey washer on the site. The representative confirmed that there was a grey washer. He told me to complete the order and he would notate the account in regards to the color.

The delivery date was May 1, 2019 with the white washer on the truck. I asked that the washer not be delivered. Now Cross Country wants to send me a check minus the 35% restocking fee because I was misinformed and did not allow the delivery. I spoke with case management on May 2, 2019, she was going to review the recorded call and get back with me. That didn't happen.

I called NCR on May 9, 2019 and was transferred to Cross Country customer service. The resolution, an apology. A courtesy phone call or email could have resolved this issue, as I did not place the order until after speaking with the representative. I have been a customer of Sears for many years and never have I been treated like this nor do I ever want to be treated this way again. Ninety days and still counting. All I wanted was to have my washer repaired and be able to wash my clothes. I have received numerous apologizes but my issue is still not resolved. This is not my first experience with a warranty company, it is the worse ever.

Cross Country Home Services response

Dianne, I’m sorry to hear of the amount of effort you’ve put forth trying to resolve your washer claim. I will have my team complete a thorough investigation of the events during your claim and will ensure we reach back out to ensure you have received the full benefit of your policy - Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 11, 2019

Getting a home warranty seemed like the right thing to do and after getting one from Cross Country, my experience with them has been good. I submit my claims to them through a computer and their website is easy to use. After that, they give a timeframe for when the contractor will come out which depends on what the problem is. So far, the contractors who came out were good and professional. The quality of their work was excellent, too.

Cross Country Home Services response

Hi Gary- Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know how easy our online claim process is, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We hope we are able to provide your home warranty needs for many years to come! Sincerely, Angela

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 10, 2019

Our air conditioner went out on 4/23/19 and they could not come out till 5/2/19 between 8-5. I cleared my entire day and at 12:24 I received a text message that my technician Kyle was on his way. At 2:37 I received a text that my service had been rescheduled for 5/13/19 from 8-5. Needless to say I was furious. I then received a forwarded message from my husband with a voicemail saying they were trying to get a hold of us and since nobody answered their call they would be rescheduling our appointment.

There is nothing in any of the previous correspondence alerting us that we would need to answer a phone call from them to verify someone was at the home before they would come out. We had an appointment and I expected them to keep their word. I called the number in the voicemail only to be told the only thing they could do is get someone here the next day. I cleared my schedule yet again for 5/3/19 from 8-5.

May 3rd received a text at 11:16 that Kyle our technician was on his way. Kyle got here at 12:45. He let us know he had ordered parts and would need to go pick them up so he left and returned with the parts and proceeded to “fix” the air conditioner. At 4:00 he said it was fixed. I paid my $100 and Kyle left and the air in the house never got cool. The air conditioner was not fixed. I received an email stating what Kyle had replaced and the amount of the repairs. I called and emailed Cross Country that very night alerting them that the air conditioner was in fact not working.

I received a call the next day and was informed that they had not been sent the notes from the technician and until they received those notes they were unable to send someone out to repair the air conditioner. I told them I had a detailed email of everything the technician had done if they would like me to forward it. They did not care I had the email and said because it was the weekend they would not know anything until Monday. I called on Monday and was told they still had nothing from the technician and that they too were extremely frustrated. They said I could email a copy of the service report if I wanted to so that’s what I did but never heard back from them.

I did receive a call on Tuesday the 7th that they still had not heard from the technician and they would let me know when they had heard something. In the meantime I kept checking online to see if the service stated “completed” so that I might be able to make a new service order. I have not been called or emailed anything. I checked today May 9th and it now says “completed” so I attempted to make a service appointment for the soonest available date which is May 21st but it will not let me make the appointment. I have tried every number I can find as well as emailing them. It has become apparent they do not wish to fulfill their end of our contract. I feel I have no other choice but to start filing complaints. So that’s what I am now doing. I will next be filing one with the BBB. It is my hope that they will be the upstanding company some have said they are and make this situation right.

Cross Country Home Services response

Debra, I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected, I assure you this is not the level of service we intend to provide our customers. I have located your account and my team will complete a thorough investigation and follow up with you personally. Sincerely, Christine

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 7, 2019

I will try not to be too lengthy but this experience has really made continuing with Total Protect Home Warranty. My refrigerator went out on Friday, April 26 and a service provider came to inspect it on April 29. At the time he express concern that it was ten years old and had already had a new compressor installed in September 2016 and now need another one. He seem to think that they would probably replace my unit. After waiting five more days I contacted the provider to check that status of my unit. He informed me I would be out of $250 out of pocket fees and to contact the warranty company. Now this is where it get interesting. I called the company and explained what I was told and the representative said, "no ma'am you will not be out of any out of pocket fee"! Ok, call him back and he said, "that's incorrect." I spoke to 4 people that morning and was told three different thing from each person.

My concern is why would you spend another $400 to $500 to repair a unit you repaired a little over two years ago for the same thing. They want me to pay $250 out pocket and the $125 I already paid for deductible. I have been with this company for over 15 years and I will be cancelling my plan. Obliviously, it you replaced the compressor in 2016 and it's out again then it may be time to replace the unit. Disappointed in the service I received.

Cross Country Home Services response

Cynthia, It is clear that your expectations were not met. I have located your account and will complete a thorough review of your refrigerator claim to ensure you have received the full benefit your warranty provides and follow up with you directly. – Austin

Original review: May 4, 2019

I looked at three home warranty companies before choosing Cross Country. With them, what was being covered was more complete and easier to understand. Working with their rep was very simple and straightforward. Since getting them, submitting claims has been very simple. I pick up a phone, make a call phone number, speak to someone, explain what the problem is. Very quickly, I get called back and I get things taken care of by a service provider. Every provider I've used has been very professional. Overall, Cross Country's warranty is worthwhile. It's reasonably priced and the work done was exactly what I needed. I'm very very pleased.

Cross Country Home Services response

Warren, We aim to provide professional service companies, and we are excited to hear that you were pleased with your visit. Thanks for the kind words. – Austin

Original review: April 30, 2019

We’ve had this warranty continuously since ’97 and have no intention of looking for anyone else to replace Cross Country. Every time we’ve had to use it, they've responded quite well. When you pay for something and they do what they said they’re gonna do, you tend to stay with it instead of being lured away by someone you don’t know. The last time that we submitted a claim to Cross Country, it was the very next day that we were contacted by the person that they assigned to do the thing. Then they were out. They fixed it and it was over. There was only one time that someone come in and did something but then had to go away for a part and come back. Most of the time, they have everything they need with them. They’re also very courteous and professional. They know what they are doing. They come in and do the job.

Cross Country Home Services response

Farris, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and we’re thrilled to hear you were pleased with the service we provided. –Angela

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 29, 2019

Had appliance technician from Sears sell us a Home Warranty that covers a "Whole House Plan" for $69.99 per month. Said that all of our appliances and systems in the home were covered under an aftermarket warranty. He saw that we had "Viking" appliances. He said they were most definitely covered. We proceeded with purchasing the plan on 8/6/18. It has been drafted out monthly under "Sears Warranty" on our checking account to date. Called Sears warranty 4/23/19 customer service (who is now "CCHS"). Said they do not have service for us in our area and that they said we need to seek out a company ourselves and we would get reimbursed under our plan.

We called **** Appliance Company and they came out 4/26/19 and charged us a trip of $125 for appointment. They called "Sears" onsite which is now "CCHS" and we were never notified our plan changed over to a new company that services our plan. The 1st customer service representative approved and then sent on to the next level. That person found out the cost of repair of $4860 and denied it. So we had an approval and Marshall put parts on order and then they reneged once they found out the price and denied the service saying that appliance is not covered. We feel that this is a scam because we purchased a "Whole Home Warranty" through Sears and this CCHS "Cross Country Home Service" will not cover our repair now.

We have asked for supervisor and they will not allow us to talk to anyone else besides the rep who answers the phone. They are very vague and will not answer any of our questions and they have denied our appliance. This is fraudulent by someone acting on behalf of Sears Warranty Plan and we have requested our full money back from 8/6/18 and they also have refused. We do not know who this "CCHS" warranty company is and who is the only person we can speak to in regards to our issue. There is something going on here with people taking our monies and not providing the contract terms of service we purchased.

Resolution response: April 29, 2019

Had long hard month getting response from Total Protect on my AC repair. After my post on Consumer Affairs a nice lady DID call me and I am very impressed how quick this site helped. As mentioned, all the people on the phone were nice but had no authority to help. Thanks to all for getting new AC ordered and hope all goes well getting equipment and repairman here.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Can't get decision made after one month to get my AC fixed or repaired. Live in Texas. 90 degrees today! No one ever calls me back or emails me back. Different answer every day when I call them and hold. People on phone are nice but no one has authority.

Cross Country Home Services response

LuAnn - I have reviewed your claim to see how I can help expedite a resolution, and our records indicate your claim is now finalized. A member of my team will follow up with you directly to go over the details of your claim. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: April 25, 2019

With the claim I had with Cross Country, there was an issue where there was a service I needed for my garage door opener that was broken. And I didn’t realize that that was covered at first and I went ahead and bought a garage door opener. And I was asking Cross Country if they could reimburse me for it. They had the people come out and I paid my deductible, and then they took care about installing the one that I had. I wish they had given me a refund but they did not.

The representatives from Cross Country were very professional. I filed my claim over the phone, and my interaction was straightforward. They recommended some people, which I contacted and get everything scheduled. The contractors who came out did a good job. I don’t have any issues with them. I recommend Cross Country.

Cross Country Home Services response

Melvin, Thanks for your recommendation! We appreciate the feedback from your experience. - Angela

Original review: April 22, 2019

When I started with my Cross Country home warranty program, it was called Residential MD and I haven’t had any problems in the past. When I put in a claim, they promptly respond to it and get the work done so I’ve been satisfied. The last time I called, I had a problem with the contractors and when I looked up online, they had very bad reviews. I didn’t want them screwing up in my house so I called and the contractor was switched. Everything worked out and the work has been excellent.

Cross Country Home Services response

Roger, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. All of our providers are licensed and insured, and qualified for the work which they are assigned. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear your experience has been excellent. - Austin

Original review: April 20, 2019

Cross Country is the company I’ve always had every time I had a problem and I have been with them for 16 years now. I have security that our appliances are covered. Sometimes they do it slow, but they do it. Customer service is good and they have handled my claims really well. They have replaced a few of my appliances. The first one was when my dryer messed up on me and its parts aren't being made anymore. So, I bought another dryer and Cross Country sent me the money. They allowed me so much money and I saved $200. But they don’t do that anymore. The way they do it now is to send me a new appliance as a replacement, which is just as good for me. They've also replaced my AC unit and my washing machine.

I currently have a claim with my microwave and it has been a while. I called Cross Country for a guy to come out, and he came and looked at it. He said that he needed a couple of parts and he would check with the warranty company then he would be back to fix it. However, I never heard back from him so I went online and it said that they’re gonna replace it. They didn’t tell me and they could’ve sent me an email. Now, they haven’t put it in yet and they messed up. My wife has been in the hospital and I told them to call me. Anyway, they’re supposed to be out on Monday to install it. All in all, I’m satisfied with Cross Country Home Services. I would recommend and have recommended them to everybody that I talked to.

Cross Country Home Services response

David, We aim to provide quick and efficient claim resolutions, and are delighted to hear we have been able to meet your home warranty needs for the past 16 years! We truly appreciate your recommendation and your loyalty. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: April 17, 2019

First, CCHS will respond to this review and promise to address my issue, but the 'case manager' will do everything to deny your claim, including accusing the Mfg and the Consumer of lying about the Mfg warranty. I even connected CCHS with LGE, and they still closed my claim assuming that I had coverage elsewhere. This is a sham operation operating under names like Sears Home Warrant, Sears Protection and dozens of other partner names. Do your homework before you sign-up. Trust me, I am living the dream. And now back to CCHS. DO NOT RESPOND to this review with your boilerplate comments.

Cross Country Home Services response

We can understand your frustration with the outcome of your refrigerator claim. As with all home warranties, coverage is very detailed in the agreement and there are some items and conditions which may not be covered. A member of our leadership team has reviewed your claim to ensure you are receiving the full benefit of your warranty agreement. If you have any further questions regarding your coverage, please let us know, and a member of my team will call you directly. - Angela

Original review: April 16, 2019

I purchased Sears whole house home warranty in February 2019. Well I did not know that it is underwriter by Cross Country Home Service. My advice to you never never ever buy this warranty. Let me summarize my experience with Cross Country Home Service. I submitted three claims. My dishwasher which is only two years old. It was not washing dishes properly. Sears Home Services which is called A and E services came out. Made the necessary repair and dishwasher is working fine.

Claim number two for my dehumidifier which is a central humidifier. I called for service and they sent in a guy who was here and he said it is not leaking. I started my humidifier and it started leaking so I tried to call this guy and left 5-10 massages and no answer. So I called Cross Country. I said why no answer. They said, "Humidifier is not covered under your warranty." So I said, "Why did you sent a guy to repair and I ended up paying $100 my deductible for nothing." No resolution so far.

Claim number three for my water softener. They sent a guy from a local heating and cooling repair company. He did not show up for his appointment and next day he called and said he is on his way. Showed up one hour late. Came to my house and lift up cover on my softener and said oh there is rust on faceplate of control unit and water softener need to be replaced. He was here only like five minutes and left. I did not hear from Cross Country or the repair firm for four five days. They said, "We have not heard from repair guy who give them a call for the report." I called repair firm and lady said, "Oh we forgot to send in report" so she called Cross Country. I get a call from Cross Country. They said because of rust it is not covered. So I said I need a second opinion. They said, "We do not provide second opinion. But if you do we will pay for the repair if it is not due to rust."

So I called A and E repair (Sears owned company). A guy came out and replaced few parts in the control unit of softener. It is working fine. I asked him about the rust on the face plate and he said it is normal. No need to replace the softener or the face plate. He said Cross Country hire cheap guys and do not want to hire A and E for repair. Luckily Sears Home Service which is A and E have not billed me yet for the repair. So called Cross Country to get refund on my deductible of $100. They are still sticking with rust problem and denying my claim. What a bizarre experience.

So finally I ended up cancelling my contract. I DID NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH CROSS COUNTRY. When I cancelled they said I have to pay cancellation fees so I ended up cancelation fees of $90. So all in all I ended up paying for only repair of my dishwasher. That cost me three months of premium and cancellation fees and three deductible of $100 each. It all came to about $600 for a one repair on my dishwasher. I could have bought new dishwasher for that. MY advice avoid avoid Cross Country Home Warranty. When you call them for repair most of the time you get people from their call center which is probably located in some foreign country because you can't even understand these people. I am trying to get my refund on the cancellation fees and deductible of $200 on humidifier and water softener which were not repaired.

Cross Country Home Services response

Sharad – This is not the level of service we aim to provide our customers with, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I have located your account, and a member of my team will review your claims and call you directly to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: April 13, 2019

I’ve been with Cross Country for a long time and if something breaks, they get it fixed. When my hot water heater broke, they sent out a guy for it and we were done. Also, the air conditioner broke and they sent out a guy for it, and we were done. This latest time, it was a little confusing for me because I didn’t understand about appliances. The refrigerator broke. They sent out a guy and he worked on it. He finally figured out that he couldn’t fix it. And then I got an e-mail telling me I could get a replacement refrigerator or cash amount. I thought it was a spam mail. That was confusing because that never happened before. My issue was always just fixed. Also, they said they would get back in touch with me but I wound up having to call back. And they said they sent me an e-mail about a replacement, and then I talked to my wife and I realized that it wasn’t a spam e-mail.

Now, I understand that if a washing machine or another type of appliance was to break, the process is different than it would be for a heater or a water heater. We waited a week to hear back because they said it would be three to five business days. And that was confusing because before, the repairs were done and it didn’t require me to do anything. I wish that somebody would’ve taken the time to explain that to me. They should have said that they would contact me via e-mail. Other than that, Cross Country did a fine job. They processed the claim, and they're coming on Monday to deliver our new refrigerator. We took the cash amount, and we picked our own refrigerator.

Cross Country Home Services response

Raymond, We’re happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with your warranty coverage. I’m sorry to hear that there was some confusion with our new email process. We are continuously working to simplify processes and expedite service, and we appreciate your feedback about our new process. - Austin

Original review: April 12, 2019

I've had home warranty for 10 years now. I bought it from Residential MD and they started out better than my previous warranty provider. But once the company changed over to Cross Country, things kinda changed. It used to be that when you'd have a problem, you'd call the number. Now, mostly everything that they wanna do, they want you to do online. And to make the initial claim, they really prefer you to do it online. Plus, if you'd call them on the phone, you'd have a problem getting through. After a while, somebody would pick up the phone but the people they'd send out wouldn't be as reputable of a company.

Also, their service’s cost was jacked up but not the service. They went from $50 and $60 then to $125 every time you call them. Then, the people come out but it takes forever to get some of the stuff to work. The last time, it was on my air conditioning but the guy who came out was a pretty nice guy. Cross Country also sent a guy to work on my oven and microwave but I wasn't totally satisfied with the end product. He got the appliances running but he didn't fix my microwave or my oven. It used to be that whenever the techs left here, I was completely satisfied with who was sent out. But now, sometimes, you get somebody who's rough and sometimes, you get somebody who gets things done. Other than that, sometimes you get somebody who does the work but not completely. All in all, I'm not really happy with Cross Country's service and I'm thinking about dropping them. The service hasn't been what I came to expect from what they were before.

Cross Country Home Services response

Jack, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've had the Sears Home Warranty for a couple of years. In Mid March of 2019, Our garbage disposal stopped working. I called Cross Country Home Services to report the problem. After giving them the details, they said they would check on a vendor and would get back to me. After a couple of days they called me back and said they didn't have a company in my area and it might be 2 to 3 months before they might get someone out to our home. They said that I could get my own repair company to fix the disposal and just fill out some paperwork, send it in and they would pay me back, less the $100 deductible.

Well, that's when the problems started. A local company here came out the very next day and diagnosed the problem, replaced the disposal and did all of this in one day. I was told by a Cross Country Home services representative to send the invoice in and I would be paid, less the deductible. I sent in the invoice, then I received a call from Cross Country that they needed the make, model and serial number of the old disposal, I sent that in, then I get a call that they needed a diagnosis of the reason for failure of the old disposal, I sent that in. Then they said they needed proof of payment. I got a copy of the check from my bank and sent that in.

This started a series of calls I made to check on the status of my claim from Cross Country. I've called at least 10 to 15 times and faxed copies of documentation 5 times. I Called today April 12, 2019, and was told my claim was denied. They said the company I used to get the repair was supposed to contact them before starting the repair and get an authorization number. This was never told to me before today. I beg you to find another warranty company. "Do not use Sears Home Warranty". I've been a Sears customer for over 35 years and have never been treated this way.

Cross Country Home Services response

Jim –As with all home warranties, coverage is very detailed in the agreement and all work must be authorized by us in advance. I am disappointed to hear the proper expectations were not set, and will be glad to look into this further. A member of my team will review your claim and call you directly to address your concerns. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: April 11, 2019

This is a company where you can go and get an insurance for your equipment inside the house. But service wise, you would take a lot of time. I am not 100% happy with it and I have been with them for almost 15 years now. I would like it if people are going to follow up and make sure that a claim is executed 100%. Normally, when you open a claim, you get a text with a claim number. But nobody calls me back to ask if it has been fully executed and says, "Let's close out." The claim is just a case number. If I open a claim and until the claim is fully executed, somebody should be keeping me posted. Whether it's done or not, somebody should be able to tell us the status. When they cannot fix something because it's outdated, if they can replace with a new one, in what timeframe we could expect the part or if something is backordered – whatever it is, they should be emailing it to us

Then when you have an issue, you just have to keep on calling Cross Country until you get it resolved. The customer services are great. But it takes a lot of time to get a representative on the phone. It takes about 35 to 45 minutes at 10 o'clock at night. I know it goes to a call center and that's fine with me. I have patience but nobody followed back on it with me and that was what irritated me. I'm not getting a response from them. If I'm doing something on my end, I need the same reaction from their end. There must be something. Otherwise, I'm not going to call them and the funds are going to get deducted from my bank account automatically.

The coverage is okay. I have covered almost everything in the house. But at the same token, I'm not getting the service I'm covered for. On top of that, when they recommend somebody else, like a local company, I don't think they do enough research either. The local companies that have come down there are not that great. They do not come professionally prepared. Some of them would not even do anything at the property level. Some of the companies would not even have a uniform. They are like people who walked out of the street and is coming unprepared without a tool box. You would not recognize until and unless you go outside and see their vehicle which has a logo on it.

Cross Country Home Services response

Kiran, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the level of service we aim to provide. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure it is provided back to the organization. Should you like further assistance please respond back with your full property address and my team will complete a thorough investigation and give you a call as soon as we can. Thanks, Austin

Original review: April 11, 2019

We've had a couple of claims with CC. I truly don't remember the details of the first claim. But I remember it being a total pain between contacting and response time and fix it time. The process goes like this. We make a claim. Then CC finds a vendor (sometimes they don't have a vendor but it takes a while - maybe a day or longer for them to figure that out). The vendor makes an appointment, and they charge a deductible for the service call. The vendor then gives the details to CC and an approval process commences. Between the vendor 1st visit to the approval being made, it can take days. Meanwhile if you have to order parts, that's even longer. And if this is an AC unit, the 100 degree temp means that you need to send tenants to a hotel. And then the fix can take way longer because AC units are ordered through CC.

Ok, about this current claim. Our AC unit conked out on our rental. This is Florida and luckily it is still March. Two vendors gave us bids. One is for $6200 and the other is for $5000. These vendors are not affiliated with CC, but they are trusted repair people for us. We could get them affiliated, but that would take time. Our bad for not thinking about this ahead and researching to see who accepts CC. And we would have to do that for each appliance or system in the house. Our AC closet is too small for a conventional current AC unit. But our vendors can find units to install there. CC says they won't cover a unit that fits in the space because the units CC supplies are conventional sizes and evidently cheap. Ok, fine.

Meanwhile they say they will cut us a check for $2100 to cover a unit and the installation. My husband oks it, but I call them back within 2 hours and say $2100 is not enough. Where can you find anyone to purchase and install an AC unit for $2100? They tell us that since we "authorized" payment, we can't "take it back". No matter what I do, making several phone calls, talking to a supervisor, there's no changing what is now set in stone. And this is several days before they actually cut the check. Upon finding out that they would only provide an AC unit of a certain size, I told them we could modify the closet. Sorry, this is now set in stone, they are going to send the check come hell or high water. There is no other choice or resolution.

Meanwhile, now it's been 3 weeks of back and forth to CC from our rental manager and from us. We finally gave up the ghost, and had our vendor install and we are now out of pocket $2800. Perhaps the experience of other people are different in larger cities - there's more vendors and maybe response time would be better. But for a rental, you need repairs to be made on the QT! We had electrical issues that needed fixing as well, but they did not have an electrician in their network. Ft. Walton Beach has a population of $22000 people. Seems like they could find one technician?

Ok, my husband called today to cancel our 2 remaining contracts with CC. We just can't take the hassle. They tell us that the company has put out more money than we have paid in for the warranty, so they will charge us the balance between the two. WHAT!!!! Are they serious??? Isn't this an insurance type company? I've never heard of such a thing. Don't deal with this company - you will end up with an ulcer!

Cross Country Home Services response

Pamela –As with any home warranty, coverage is very detailed in the agreement and there are some items/conditions which may not be covered. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of your warranty booklet which was mailed to you upon enrollment. I am sorry to hear your claim experience is not what you expected it to be, and regret any confusion or misunderstanding that may have occurred. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: April 10, 2019

Every time my husband and I try to speak to someone about our furnace claim we are put on hold for 15-20 while the representative “looks” into it. After about 15-20 minutes, the calls drops. Today when we called, we specifically asked for the person to call back if that happens. We never got a callback. Her name was Lindsay. This has happened 3 times.

Cross Country Home Services response

Tricia, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the level of service we aim to provide. My team and I would like to take a look into your claim to see how we can help. Please respond with your full property address so we can access your account to contact you directly. Thank you, Austin

Cross Country Home Services coverage exclusions

Cross Country Home Warranty Services are designed to cover the mechanical breakdown of common household appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. The warranty doesn’t extend to cover breakdowns due to misuse, abuse or manufacturer defect. The warranty also won’t cover damage due to acts of God, like a fire or natural disaster.

Your contract will provide a list of which parts of each covered appliance and system are excluded from coverage. For example, CCHS covers central vacuum systems as part of their combo plan. This coverage includes coverage for the system’s motor, relay, switches and wiring, but their contract specifies that it does not cover attachments, hoses, handles, knobs, panels and/or cabinetry. You can find a full list of exclusions via Cross Country Home Services sample contract.

Cross Country Home Services coverage limits

There is no maximum on the coverage limits or payouts for repairs or replacements for covered appliances or systems, although there may be a dollar amount limit restriction on certain items. The dollar amount limits they do set are pretty generous.

ItemCCHS Coverage Limit
Outside gas line$2,000
Outside sewer line$3,000
Outside water line$2,000

Cross Country Home Services claims

When you notice an appliance or system isn’t functioning properly, contact CCHS right away to file a claim and get service scheduled. To request service from Cross Country Home Services:

1. Call the service number or request service online.
  2. CCHS will provide a referral to one of their approved contractors within two hours (24 hours if your request is submitted outside of business hours).
  3. Schedule your service.
  4. Pay the contractor your service call fee at the time work is performed.

Cross Country Home Services backs their service contractors’ work with a 180-day workmanship guarantee. If you experience the same issue with your repaired item within that time, CCHS will cover the cost of another repair at no additional charge (or service call fee) to you.

Cross Country Home Services FAQ

Is a home inspection required to get a Cross Country Home Services warranty?
No. No inspection is required.
Are Cross Country Home Services and TotalProtect Home Warranty the same?
Cross Country Home Services is the parent company of both TotalProtect and HMS Home Warranty. Services and prices may vary between the three.
Is there a cancellation fee for Cross Country Home Services?
Yes, there is a $25 processing fee applied to cancelling service with CCHS after the 30 days waiting period. There is also a 10 percent per month fee, which will also be applied to your refund after the waiting period. There is no fee if you cancel within the 30 days window.

Is Cross Country Home Services worth it?

There are several aspects of Cross Country Home Services warranties that set them apart from competitors. Their decades of experience, combined with numerous awards and a nationwide network with pre-approved service technicians, show the company’s dedication to reliability. The coverage for unknown pre-existing conditions, three plan options and 180-day workmanship guarantee make them a top choice in home warranty providers.

Cross Country Home Services Company Information