2.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When it comes to home repairs, thousands of homeowners rely on Cinch Home Services (formerly Cross Country Home Services) whenever their appliances or systems breakdown. From air conditioners, washers and dryers to dishwashers, refrigerators and ovens, Cinch will take care of the problem you are facing. With a variety of plans available, Cinch allows you to select the coverage that best fits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our services and plans available!

BOTTOM LINE

Cross Country Home Services offers three plans that cover essential home systems and appliances. While cost can vary widely between different parts of the country, CCHS has generous coverage caps and valuable added protection for your home.

PROS

• Unknown pre-existing condition coverage
  • No aggregate annual caps
  • Rust and corrosion production
  • Nationwide coverage

CONS

• Cancellation fee
  • High cost in some areas

Top Cross Country Home Services Reviews

I'm satisfied with everything, including the timeliness and the quality of work. Everybody has been nice and friendly, and on average, it takes a day after a claim is filed for a contractor to come out. If something happens at night, I call 24/7 then I would have an appointment the next day.

I’m happy with Cross Country Home Services and I'm very satisfied. Their monthly fee is great and their service is good and they send people out as soon as I call them. It’s pretty reliable. Also, the amount of coverage is good and I haven’t had any problems with any of the techs they've sent out.

Cross Country Home Services plans

Cross Country Home Services offers several different services to homeowners. While home warranties are one of the essential solutions they provide, they are unique in that they also supply smart home repair and maintenance (this is separate from the regular home warranties). The award-winning company has been in business for four decades, making them an experienced provider in the home warranty sector.

Homeowners can get warranties from the company no matter where they live in the U.S. Although the service contact centers are based out of Florida and South Carolina, Cross Country Home Services sells warranties to homeowners nationwide. The company has 24/7 availability all year long, with access to claims and service by phone or online at any time.

For homeowners, plans are available through Cross Country Home Services from TotalProtect Home Warranty. Repairs done under any of the plans are guaranteed for 180 days. There are three plan levels to give homeowners options that best meet their needs.

• Appliances Plan: This covers major appliances throughout the home that are necessary for daily living.
  • Systems Plan: If the systems in your home are the primary concern for you, the Systems Plan might be the right option. It covers major systems like heating, cooling, plumbing and more.
  • Combo Plan: The best option in terms of comprehensive coverage, this warranty gives homeowners peace of mind with complete coverage for all major systems and appliances.

For the real estate community, the company offers home warranties through HMS National. These warranties are designed to offer new home buyers or sellers additional protection and must be purchased through a real estate professional. Costs and coverages vary by location.

Cross Country Home Services cost

Plan costs and service call fees vary by region. Potential customers have the option for a free, instant quote online that gives a comparison of the monthly costs for each plan.

On average, the cost for Cross Country Home Services will range from just over $20 per month for the Appliances Plan to just over $80 per month for the Combo Plan. Across the board, the Appliances Plan is the least expensive and the Combo Plan is the most expensive because it is the most comprehensive.

Here’s an example of the cost variance:

PlanLocationAverage monthly cost
AppliancesCleveland, OH$22.95
 Boston, MA$35.95
SystemsCleveland, OH$33.95
 Boston, MA$73.95
ComboCleveland, OH$46.95
 Boston, MA$83.95
For most areas, the service call fee is $125 per repair/call, which is high for the industry.

Cross Country Home Services coverage

In many cases, purchasing a complete home protection plan with comprehensive coverage can make the most sense for modern homeowners. This alleviates the worry about breakdowns in both important appliances and essential systems. The Combo Plan is ideal for full coverage and includes the following.

Covered appliances

• Sump pumps
  • Trash compactors
  • Whirlpool bathtubs

Covered systems

• Attic or whole home exhaust fans
  • Central vacuums
  • Doorbells
  • Garage door opener
  • Heating and cooling systems
  • Interior gas and electrical lines
  • Main fuse box panel
  • Plumbing systems
  • Plumbing stoppages
  • Smoke detectors (wired)
  • Water heaters

This plan also includes optional coverage for pools and spas (cost varies), a homeowner’s insurance deductible reimbursement of up to $500, and protection against rust or corrosion on covered systems and appliances.

Cross Country Home Services Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I've learned now to do my claims online with Cross Country Home Services. But before then, I used to call in my claims all the time. I have a claim right now and I did it online, so I didn't have to speak to anybody this time. But every time before that, I've called in, and the Cross Country reps have always been very helpful. The website is user-friendly but the two items that I had prior fell in the same category, and I couldn't figure out how to add two. So, I ended up having to call. After I did it online, the rep added it on for me through the phone call.

I've had different contractors every time. For this claim I have now in one of my AC units not blowing properly, Cross Country gave me Sears. The tech came out and was very professional. Everybody has always been professional, but Sears is a well-known, branded company. The truck's got their names on it, and they have the uniforms on. It just looked like a professional company. All the time, the contractors don't have that presentation but they all have always been satisfying in their work.

Right now I have the platinum coverage, but I started off with the basic. I didn't really know as a homeowner because you have to go through experiences in order to know what you have, what you need. So, in-between the time I bought my home, I got divorced and I'm a single female who knows stuff because I am a homeowner, through experience.

I research, read, ask people, ask my neighbors, ask my friends. "Hey, you ever had this?" But I'm not the norm. For me, I need to make sure that I have the top-notch coverage because as a female, I don't wanna be out of pocket every time something breaks. So, for me, it was important to upgrade. I went to the platinum because one time, I had a stoppage in one my bathrooms, but it was after the fact that I found out that it wasn't covered. One of the technicians, he was like, "Well, you have to have it under your plan." I called the call center, and they said, "Oh, yeah, you had the gold" and then I ended up going platinum. And so, I was like, "Well, if it happens again," and thanks to god it didn't happen again, "I need to make sure that I can just make a call." It's so convenient to make a call, I know what my deductible is, and I go from there. For me, it's a total peace of mind.

My experience has been non-incidental every time. If something breaks, it gets fixed or replaced. I've had replacements and I've had repaired equipment. They have never once gave me problems whatsoever. I hear the technicians give me horror stories about some of the companies, about going through the red tape. And they said, "Oh, you have Cross Country, you're in good hands." So, I'm like, if I ever start having problems, I would say, "Oh, who?" They say, "Oh, yeah, you're in good hands." “Tell me the ones not to get.” Even the technicians, if I ask them, they have never had any negative comments to me about Cross Country. If I ever have problems and I'm 10 years in, I'd like to know where I need to go shop around at instead of going in the dark. They would tell me the truth.

Cross Country Home Services response

Helena, Thanks for providing your feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoy using our website, and that you’ve experienced the benefit your home warranty provides. – Christine

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

With us being elderly and the prices of things going up, it makes good sense that we put a warranty on our stuff at home. I carry insurance on my car and I think the home warranty is a good deal too. There were a couple of times, however, that we had a hard time getting in touch with Cross Country to put in claims. And then once we got them, they had a hard time finding somebody to do the work. For my air conditioning, they sent a guy out of Atlanta, which is two hours away from my house. There was a warranty part on the unit he installed that has a recall, but the home warranty told us that they wouldn’t handle it. They said the installer would handle it so we called him but he no longer works for the home warranty service. He wanted to charge us $80 just to come out here and charge us as well for shipping of the part. My wife went back and forth with Cross Country about the issue but, long story short, the recall never got handled on the new air conditioning.

Years ago, we also had a heater deal, and it took a couple of days for them to get somebody to come out to it. The heater part of the air condition broke down during the winter when it got cold. I was told that it was due to the installer who programmed it wrong so when it got really cold, it shut itself down. We then called and asked why we owed a $100 deductible if it was the installer's problem, and they got back with us. Another time, I had an issue with the dryer and the guy came out but he wasn’t able to fix it. He came out two or three times but the dryer kept doing the same noise. So I just bought a new one, and we notified Cross Country, and then they reimbursed me my deductible for buying a new dryer.

Then the last two times, Sears Warranty had been sent, and they've been right out. I was really expecting to pay more money in my part of the new air condition, but Cross Country treated me so right on that. My part on the replacement of the unit was very fair. All in all, my experience with them has been good and I've been happy with them. I’ve spoken highly of them, especially when they made arrangements to get me a brand new air conditioning unit.

Cross Country Home Services response

Charles, I’m sorry to hear that it hasn’t always been the easiest claim process, please know we are continuously monitoring this process to ensure we offer the best possible experience. We’re happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with the service and savings your home warranty provides. Thanks for sharing!- Amanda

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

At $45 a month, Residential MD covers all the stuff. I told them to sign me up and at this point, I've been with these people for about eight years. We've submitted several claims, from plumbing to microwave. They've also done our hot water heater and central air conditioning. The most recent is the refrigerator and almost every time, it's turned out well.

So far, we haven't had to argue too much over what is covered other than with the plumbing claim in the beginning. But it's all been good. They just sent us a check for $1,750 for a refrigerator that's three years old. We could not get the ice maker to work and they are replacing the whole thing over an ice maker. They had come out for the refrigerator several times over the last three years but after they replaced it the third time, it still wasn’t working. The situation is like our microwave. They couldn't get parts and once they can't get the parts, they call us and tell us what they can do. They offered us a buyout.

They've been trying to go to a more automated system when you make a claim now. I used to call and tell them the issue then they would set me up. Everybody's going online but sometimes, you just wanna talk to a live person. Still, I can go online to say we need something fixed. I just pop it in then they give us the phone number of the repair person. I've only had one issue. That was when they said they did not have anybody in our area who could come out and repair the hot water heater. They were going to research finding somebody. I told them they were gonna have to move a little faster because I was not gonna accept that for an answer. We ended up calling somebody ourselves. We paid for it then they reimbursed us what we paid.

But nobody has been rude. They always answer the phone and they've always been very professional with me. If they don’t know what to do, then they'll escalate it to the next department. Sometimes it's not immediate that they back to you but they're fairly good about getting back. We had a plumber that got crossways with them. He said he couldn't stand them but I think it's on the end of the service people getting paid. In my experience, we've had some issues but there has been nothing that I haven't been willing to overlook. They raised the deductible though. It started out at $75 then it went to $85. Now, it's 100. So anytime we call somebody out, we're out of $100. But they've never raised the price on me. I've been paying $44.95 since day one. For a very minimal amount, I've got a new central AC and a new hot water tank, other than the new refrigerator I'm in the process of getting. I would recommend the warranty.

Cross Country Home Services response

Toni, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Morgan

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

About 15 years ago, I had a house that was financed through U.S. Bank and they sent me a promotional. It was an insert in my bill for Cross Country and it sounded good. I’ve had it for that long and I’ve only used it one other time for a water heater. Interacting with their reps was awesome but when they are citing what services they provide, they need to make it a little bit clearer that in an event of a failure, they would only cover the actual item and not the accessories attached to it like the ductwork or refrigerant lines. Those are things that you need to pay out of pocket. When my air conditioner and heating went out, I was expecting it would be an additional cost to modify the ductwork or to provide new drain lines so, I was ready for it and understood that that wasn't included. However, if they wanted to and if they made that clear, it would alleviate a lot of negative feedback.

Comfortable Climate did my repair. I was a contractor and in construction for 45 years before I retired and I know what you have to do to have a satisfied customer when you're performing any kind of repair. These people exceeded anything that I could have ever hoped for. The technician was a younger guy who was in his 30s. He was very courteous, answered all my questions and he was extremely knowledgeable. He did the whole installation in a day by himself and he wore the plastic booties when he came in the house. He cleaned up his mess and the house was cleaner when he left than when he got here.

I would highly recommend Cross Country. You never know when these events are gonna occur. If you're a homeowner, you can pay to have a monthly policy that covers these breakdowns and write down a small check as a copay and maybe additional work, or you can write out a huge check all at once to get it repaired. So, it’s a no-brainer. For this particular repair that I just had, I had to have my whole system replaced, inside and outside. Instead of writing a check for $8,000, I wrote a check for $800. So, that's a huge benefit. Plus, my experience and their service people here in Indiana were good.

Cross Country Home Services response

Donald, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I learned about Cross Country Home Services through the mail and it had Bank of America on it. I deal with Bank of America, so I thought it was through Bank of America, but I found out later that a lot of people use different things to get people to come to it. Cross Country is not really associated with Bank of America. My experience with them is both good and bad. I asked the one person that I use for my plumbing about the company and he told me it is one of the best out there, so I stuck with them, although the only thing I didn't like is when the price went up and they didn't tell me about the price going up from $80 to $125 now. I didn't get the information, although it could have come in fourth-class mail. Sometimes you don't read all your fourth-class mail. I found that out the hard way. I should get updated every year.

When they first started out, I would normally get a new booklet every year and all the information, but lately, it has changed. And when I call them, I get a lot of communication recordings. About five years ago, I always got a hostess whenever I called in that will take the message from me and write the stuff up. Now, I have to go through tons of sitting and listening to all the recordings. If I pushed the wrong key, I gotta start all over again and I hate that.

I have been with Cross Country for at least five years and I submit the claims over the phone. I don't like to do anything online because I don't like that system and I'm older too. The plumbing service is the best one I've gotten. I just had something electrical done last week and it worked out good for me too. However, if I call out for a service for the air-condition and the heating system, they will just come out and service it, although I want all that stuff cleaned. If there's something wrong or about to go wrong, I wanna know before it breaks down if there's something wrong, so it won’t break down. They give a really a good report of what I need to do and what I don't need to do, although they need to improve the service on when you call in for a work order that you don't have to go through all the recordings. Everybody is trying to save a dollar now and use it the cheapest way.

Cross Country Home Services response

Carl, Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cross Country Home Services?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I had 2 incidents with HMS who is now Cross Country Home Services. Sad thing is a manager contacted me in reference to my issue and she was still unable to resolve the problem. They will send contractors out to your place, you will pay the deductible out of pocket then the contractor will either make matters worst or not even fix anything at all. A simple burnt out circuit inside of my furnace needing to be repaired cost me over $700. I had to call in another company to clean up the work that the contractors did.

Aside from that when I brought this issue to the managers attention she kept on telling me I was on a recorded line and they asked me whether or not I wanted the wires to be pulled in order for the furnace to work due to electrical issues. Yes I did authorize this work however when the contractor pulled the wires it caused my stove to stop working. not to mention the contractor also left hot wire hanging from the basement ceiling which I then had to call an electrician to come out. The manager kept saying I authorized them to pull the wires and did not come to a resolution on this matter. Instead gave the contractor the benefit of the doubt.

Cross Country Home Services response

Thalia, We aim to provide a simple and straightforward claim process, and regret to hear this has been your experience. Our records indicate that a member of our leadership team has reached out to you to clarify your coverage. Please let us know if you any further questions, and we’ll be glad to follow back up with you directly! Sincerely, Christine

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I was about to spend a whole bunch of money till I found out I had a home warranty, which was something I purchased separately from the home. It was taken out on my mortgage and I got a look one day and thought I just made a full payment in full for a year for a mortgage company. I've had it for nine years and didn't know I had it. I used it only this year in the summer. I needed a garage door opener and the air conditioner looked at as well as something else. I called the number on the contract and the rep was good. The technicians came out and did it so, I was very pleased with that. Everything was professional. They gave me the information, told me what the warranty covered and didn't cover, and they went to work. I had to pay the technicians a $100 deductible before they started their work but that was expected. The coverage plan is for a rental property so, it’s good and I would recommend Cross Country.

Cross Country Home Services response

Monte – Our purpose is to always meet your needs, and we’re delighted to hear that you were pleased with our service. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Have a great day! Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

If you are shopping for a plan to provide repair service coverage for your existing appliances, do not waste your money on the Sears Home Services plan underwritten by Cross Country. The advertising claims to provide repairs to all appliances, regardless of age or where they were purchased or they will be replaced free. Don't believe it. If you have a problem that requires skilled diagnostic services to identify the problem part, then this is not for you. They can only fix the obvious and you will pay $75 for the first visit. They will come back a few times for the same problem, but if they can't fix it, they will just blow you off. They will tell you their boss says they're not making any money. They will tell you that you need to find another provider.

Especially endearing is the way your claim is handled by Cross Country after five unsuccessful service calls. They will deny deny your claim any further service due to a "Manufacturer's Defect" that is not documented and does not exist. Don't defects usually show themselves within a year or so of use? They will tell you that someone will call you. They won't. They blame the manufacturer, the manufacturer denies any defect and you are left holding the bag with a broken appliance. Don't fall for this. They will breach your contract and not honor it's obligation to you if it will cost them. Spend your money on brand certified technicians and manufacturer's extended warranties instead!

Cross Country Home Services response

Ken, I’m sorry to hear that your warranty experience did not go as you expected. Although with any warranty there are some items and conditions which do not qualify for coverage, we’d like to investigate your claims to ensure you received the full benefit of your warranty. If you’d like for us to complete this review and follow up with you personally, please provide your full property address. Sincerely, Angela

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Placed service call over 2 weeks ago on my water softener. The company that came out did not know anything about water softeners. They looked at it, had me turn on the water and said it's working. I had to pay a $100 service fee. I called the warranty company again and they gave me another service company. This company came out and actually knew how to work on the water softener. It was determined it needed to be replaced.

CCHS representative asked the service technician if he wanted to go and get a replacement or have it sent out by CCHS. He told CCHS to send a replacement. Still no replacement. When I call CCHS they tell me it is in research...whatever that means. When you call them you can't get a supervisor or a manager. They tell you they will call back in 24 to 48 hours. Had to pay a service fee call for the 2nd service company. STILL NO WATER SOFTNER!!!! They sell them at LOWE'S. After this service call is completed I will be seriously considering terminating my contract.

Cross Country Home Services response

William, I apologize for the inconvenience and the delays in replacing your water softener. My team would like to help expedite a resolution for you. I have located your account and my team will investigate and follow up with you personally. – Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I called to have someone come and look at my a/c because it was not cooling. I had a tech come out and tell me it would not hold Freon and that my inset lines were leaking under my concrete foundation and that was not covered. So I bit the bullet, called and get the inset lines repaired and the freon leaked out of the coils in the unit and would not hold a charge. So, I called and scheduled another repair and missed time from work to wait for the service tech to come between 1PM and 7PM. At 7:05PM, I was on the phone with Cross Country and then Sears repair and I was informed that my ticket was cancelled because I was told to replace the inset lines.

After 4 transfers and hearing this, I was livid! I told them I was specific that I HAD DONE THE REPAIRS TO THE INSET LINES! Of course, no one from Sears contacted me to even ask. (I guess they think I am stupid.) I was told a text was probably sent to me. I don't get texts on my home phone. Then I was told "oh, that was your mistake, not listing your cell phone #." I told them it was added to my account as a secondary contact when I did the initial call. I am now waiting for a tech to come out tomorrow. I thought a home warranty was supposed to save me money but after spending $870.00 for the inset lines that I might not have needed after all and then $125.00 for the deductible and no a/c, that is not saving. If no one shows tomorrow, I really hate to be ugly but then what do I do?

Cross Country Home Services response

Melinda- We’re sorry to hear this has been your experience. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and we understand your concerns. We have located your account and a member of our team will review your claim and reach out to you personally to address your concerns. - Austin

Cross Country Home Services coverage exclusions

Cross Country Home Warranty Services are designed to cover the mechanical breakdown of common household appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. The warranty doesn’t extend to cover breakdowns due to misuse, abuse or manufacturer defect. The warranty also won’t cover damage due to acts of God, like a fire or natural disaster.

Your contract will provide a list of which parts of each covered appliance and system are excluded from coverage. For example, CCHS covers central vacuum systems as part of their combo plan. This coverage includes coverage for the system’s motor, relay, switches and wiring, but their contract specifies that it does not cover attachments, hoses, handles, knobs, panels and/or cabinetry. You can find a full list of exclusions via Cross Country Home Services sample contract.

Cross Country Home Services coverage limits

There is no maximum on the coverage limits or payouts for repairs or replacements for covered appliances or systems, although there may be a dollar amount limit restriction on certain items. The dollar amount limits they do set are pretty generous.

ItemCCHS Coverage Limit
Outside gas line$2,000
Outside sewer line$3,000
Outside water line$2,000

Cross Country Home Services claims

When you notice an appliance or system isn’t functioning properly, contact CCHS right away to file a claim and get service scheduled. To request service from Cross Country Home Services:

1. Call the service number or request service online.
  2. CCHS will provide a referral to one of their approved contractors within two hours (24 hours if your request is submitted outside of business hours).
  3. Schedule your service.
  4. Pay the contractor your service call fee at the time work is performed.

Cross Country Home Services backs their service contractors’ work with a 180-day workmanship guarantee. If you experience the same issue with your repaired item within that time, CCHS will cover the cost of another repair at no additional charge (or service call fee) to you.

Cross Country Home Services FAQ

Is a home inspection required to get a Cross Country Home Services warranty?
No. No inspection is required.
Are Cross Country Home Services and TotalProtect Home Warranty the same?
Cross Country Home Services is the parent company of both TotalProtect and HMS Home Warranty. Services and prices may vary between the three.
Is there a cancellation fee for Cross Country Home Services?
Yes, there is a $25 processing fee applied to cancelling service with CCHS after the 30 days waiting period. There is also a 10 percent per month fee, which will also be applied to your refund after the waiting period. There is no fee if you cancel within the 30 days window.

Is Cross Country Home Services worth it?

There are several aspects of Cross Country Home Services warranties that set them apart from competitors. Their decades of experience, combined with numerous awards and a nationwide network with pre-approved service technicians, show the company’s dedication to reliability. The coverage for unknown pre-existing conditions, three plan options and 180-day workmanship guarantee make them a top choice in home warranty providers.

Cross Country Home Services Company Information