2. Homeowners

3.0/5 (259 ratings)
Shop Now Ace

About Craftsman Riding Mowers

Craftsman Riding Mowers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Craftsman Riding Mowers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Craftsman Riding Mowers?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

18.5 HP, 42" Mower with Electric Start, Automatic Transmission. Model No. 917.276760. Purchased in 2006 to cut two acres, this continues to be a reliable workhorse. Replaced the mower deck a couple years ago due to it rusting since I was storing it outside, and replaced both mandrels and the drive belt. Replaced the spark plug and air filters once, and the battery twice. All other parts are original and performing well. If it ever wears out completely, I'll definitely choose another Craftsman model to replace it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I purchased my Craftsman 42" cut riding mower in early 2000 and it has worked very well on level ground as well as steep hills. It has cut even thick grass or wet grass with very little effort. I like the safety feature on the mowing deck with the roller in front of it and the wheels on each corner of the mower deck.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I bought a 12 h/p 32-inch cut in 1990 and I am still using this lawnmower. It has very few repairs done on it. We have replaced 1 set of blades and the deck belt a couple of times. I mow for at least 2 hours every time I mow. It would be very hard today to buy another lawnmower that is as good as this one. I do not plan to part with my mower anytime in the near future.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I've had this Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor for a few years now. Replaced the one I had for about the fifteen years prior. It's crazy fast, any faster and I would have to slow it down. Excellent gas mileage. I mow the 1.5 acres in about 60% of the time and use half the gas. It came with an updated B&S Intek Iron Core Dual Cylinder Engine. It's a bit quieter than its replacement. The mowing deck is slightly wider and much easier to remove. The driver seat has armrests. A bigger deal than I would have thought - particularly at full speed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have a 54" lawn tractor with a Kohler 26 hp engine. I have had this mower since 2007 and has over 650 hours on it, and it still runs great. Other than replacing an ignition module and the usual maintenance items there has been few problems. Steering and maneuverability is not its strong point but I have no major complaints.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Lowe's does not stand behind the products that they sell, if you don't pay for an extended warranty you're screwed. Didn't think I needed an extended warranty, after all it's a "Craftsman", Junk! You will be lucky if you don't have to pay for repairs with the warranty, Sad. I purchase a Craftsman Tiller $800 4-5-2020, used twice to till garden. Still has paint on blades if that tells you how new it is. Tried to take back to Lowes 3-29-21. The bottom seal around blades blew out, oil everywhere. Lowes put me off and did nothing. Very rude service rep and manager could care less, bet if it was his he would feel differently. You couldn't give me anything with the name Craftsman and I'll be using Home Depot from here on out. Screw Craftsman and Lowe's, before they screw you. One mad ex-customer....

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Great machine. I have bad legs and cutting the grass was a real pain but with this machine it's a breeze. I just love it. Runs like a charm. My only complaint is that it is a bit loud. But then what can you expect from a one cylinder gas engine.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

This riding mower has performed good for me for several years. I have used it for mulching leaves as well as mowing grass. The leaves are really dusty and the air and fuel filter needs to be changed yearly. Overall a pretty reliable mower.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

We loved our Craftsman riding mower. We were mowing 4 lawns a month. The mower held up very well. Beautiful red color. Comfortable seat. It has a great turning radius. It handled really well. Over all we would buy one again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I've owned 2 Craftsman riding mowers. The first one failed quickly, sold it after 3yrs broken. The second one had similar issues but was still under warranty. Carb replaced, problem came back. Motor replaced, worked better for about 5-6mos, then the plastic gas tank split. While not expensive, the repair is. I decided to fix it, 7hrs of labor, total disassemble of frame/parts. Got it running again, sold it. I'm running Cub Cadet now with zero issues.

Craftsman Riding Mowers author review by ConsumerAffairs

Craftsman, an 88-year-old tool company, creates quality mowers for residential use. This lawn and garden equipment company, a Sears subsidiary, offers entry-level and mid-range riding mowers and other tools.

• Quality construction: Craftsman has a reputation for quality parts, winning awards from Popular Mechanics and other organizations.

• Variety of attachments: These riding mowers have front and back attachments available for more versatility, such as a sweeper that cleans up leaves, clippings and other yard debris.

• Wide range of deck sizes: Homeowners can choose from multiple deck sizes accommodating up to three acres. The deck size is the length of the cutting blades and dictates the width of the mower's cutting path.

• Multi-speed transmissions: Seven-speed transmissions give the gardener full control over the mowing experience.

• Powerful engines: The quality engines provide enough power to handle challenging terrain and slopes.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team