1.98/5

117 Craftsman Riding Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Bought a Craftsman riding mower about 2 years ago, to replace another Craftsman riding mower, along with a 5 year protection agreement. First one worked well, but this second one has been nothing but trouble. This second one claimed tight turning radius but based on use, I have NO IDEA to what this is referring. It also claimed to have non-slip tires but there are quite a few places on my yard that I have to have a run at to traverse without digging up dirt (never had this trouble with the first mower).

The biggest trouble I think is that the center of gravity is probably a foot higher on this tractor than my first; this also keeps me from mowing across angled terrain (I know they recommend not mowing at greater than a 15 degree angle but I've never tried to measure it - I was able to mow it with the first mower, as long as I leaned). I have a bagger attachment that stripped out mounting points for the attachment base. First they refused to do anything about it under the protection agreement but after I complained, they sent someone out to mount the attachment base directly to the mower - not ideal but now I can still use the bagger.

Latest snafu - the drive belt broke. Called for service under protection agreement. Waited little over a week for service call appt. Just after email notification of service call, got email showing how to replace a mower deck belt. Called back to make sure they knew it was a drive belt that broke, NOT the mower deck belt - the mower will spin but the tractor will not move. Was told the service techs are well stocked but will note my concerns. Service appt was this morning - tech DOES NOT HAVE A DRIVE BELT, I'll have to wait 2 more weeks for another service call. I have been an avid Craftsman user (tools, other outdoor equipment) but I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER CRAFTSMAN.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Purchased in March. Less than a year stopped in tracks while I was using. Unable to move. Many many Many phone calls and pleads to warranty repair to no avail and repairman showed up 5 weeks later. Should have been my first clue he was so busy. Drive belt slipped off pulley. 29 months after purchase stopped mowing again. Out of warranty so-called local repairman to pick up.

Final verdict... needed a new transmission. The only one he could find from several suppliers cost $900 to get it to him. Plus labor and more than it was worth... service center apologized but emphatically stated nothing they could do. Why this complaint. BECAUSE THE TRANSMISSION WAS PLASTIC GEARS!!! That’s right. I said plastic gears. Their contracted provider of this mower, MTD, gave them a low price with this type of product parts. If I had known they were involed I would never have even gone to the store to price. Sears has fallen so low in recent years as to now make the Craftsman brand a joke. Hope this helps someone avoid such a disastrous expensive experience.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Craftsman does not mow on hills very good. Seems like it tips more easily than my old one. Fortunately my old one still works so when I mow the side yard that is very hilly I have to get out the old mower. Other than that very satisfied with this mower.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

19 yrs and counting. Finally experiencing losing air in the tires. Regular maintenance and storage inside or covered is the key. Briggs 2 cylinder engine dependable and still on original spark plugs and belts despite weekly summertime use. First 2 winters plowed snow.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased Craftsman 42" riding mower in July of 2008. Used it to cut 2 1/2 acres of tough, sandy mid-Florida yard liberally scattered with longleaf pine needles and blackjack oak branches. Cut this once or twice a week from early March thru mid-November every year from 2009 thru 2017. Other than replacing 3 sets of blades (probably due to sand and pine needles) I had NO trouble. Always started right up, ran flawlessly and cut very well. Maintenance was minimal and very easy. I changed the engine oil once a season and charged the battery every Spring. Still had the original battery when I gave it to my son-in-law because I moved away. He's still using it. It is a reliable mower well worth what I paid for it. If I ever need another rider, I'll be looking at Craftsman first.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Craftsman Riding Mowers?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My riding mower is a Craftsman and a piece of $1900 crap. Ever since it was new, nothing but trouble. Main issue is the cutting deck and parts related to it. Something always breaking. So far repairs have cost well over $900, machine is 7 years old, in shop now/motor problems, may go to the dumps and not home... Depends on estimate. Next mower will be KUBOTA!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Bought this on clearance. Spindle broke and a few minor repairs. Wished it had hydrostatic transmission and more than 8 inch turning radius. A passable average mower with 46 inch deck.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I love my Craftsman tractor. It's dependable, durable, looks nice. The warranty is great. The service was great too. The price was better for what I was getting than other tractors.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

For 6 years this rider has given me zero problems. Oil change each year and it has never let me down. Starts each time, cuts very good, had to replace the battery last year.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This had some odd “safety” items. Unless the clipping bag was 1/4” in line, the mower didn’t run. The mower didn’t mulch and would only work with the bag attached. Sears sold it and getting service was odd. You ordered a part, it would be shipped to you, then you called for service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My Craftsman is a good riding mower. I had it for 4 or 5 yrs and it starts up every time and lots of power. I sometimes use it as a small wood chipper to cut up small branches and the best part I don't have to sweat and push a stupid 22 inch mower, still same spark plug when I bought it.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The Craftsman purchase was made at Sears in the Clearview Shopping Center three years ago. It is my first purchase of a Craftsman mower. I have owned other brands, but I really rate this mower above those I've previous owned. It is so easy to start, and the close radius steering system is an added plus. It is so easy to maintain and maintenance is a breeze. The only thing I wish I would have done was got one with a standard transmission. The automatic is alright, but, I have found it is not as durable as the standard shift tractors. But still, I am satisfied with the performance. I am in the fourth year of ownership, and as such, have began to replace worn parts. But the maintenance, or repairs, so far, have not been a major problem. As such, I can highly recommend the Craftsman brand.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Some engine problems [carb issues], deck rusted thru, but wasn't cleaned after each mowing [hard to clean around center pulleys], brake issues, electrical issues [fuse block corroded even though it was covered]. But overall a good mower - cuts very good, always starts and good assortment of attachments.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Mower has a 30" cut which makes it ideal for smaller yards! Being a smaller size, it is very manageable around trees and other plantings. With the engine being in the rear it allows one to judge distances more easily.

Original review: July 29, 2018

This mower has a Honda engine, always starts on the first pull, even after sitting all winter in my garage. I have had this mower for over 12 years and it's been tuned up once & is still running strong! Although I will be getting it tuned up & having the pull cord changed as it is starting to wear but still works!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Poorly manufactured. Parts are breaking. The welds are not done correctly and are falling off. The repair cost is too expensive. Recommended by lawn repair dealer. He also purchased one and returned it because of the problems.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Parts wear out too quick. Belts need to be replaced too soon. Metal body parts too easy to damage. Otherwise mower is pretty good as far as motor and transmission.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I mow about 3 acres every week, and it's going on 7 yrs now. The only thing I've had to do is change oil, and sharpen blades from time to time. I'm actually very pleased with its workmanship. I would highly recommend a Craftsman.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Bought in 2012 and still works well. If you keep up the maintenance and change the oil regularly, it will last for years. So easy to upkeep, I recommend this lawnmower for single moms all day.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have a Sears riding lawn mower, they call it the gold edition but it's the worst mower I've ever owned. The shift doesn't work properly, it really jerks, and Sears tells me that's the way it works and there is no adjustment. Also the cut is terrible, I have to go over the lawn two to three times for the lawn to look mediocre. Again I've taken the mower to professional service people and it still works crappy.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Great tractor for 1st experience. Cuts good. Fast tractor. (7mph). All the accessories are easy to install and remove. Has several attachments. Just wish it was a little quieter. No extra accessories to help with the sound. Price was Awesome. Tractor is a Husqvarna with a Craftsman paint job.

Original review: July 23, 2018

It is a 19 HP double 21 inch blade and has plenty of power for hills and I have had it for 3 years and don't see or hear any difference from when I first bought it. Of course changing oil, filters and clean gas always aid in the performance of any machine.

Original review: July 22, 2018

My Craftsman is a very good lawn mower. My motor was blown up by ex-husband deliberately and my Dad replaced engine from their older Craftsman lawn mower. My Dad did a wonderful job getting my mower back going.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I bought this brand due to Sears store offering an extended warranty that covered the mower period. I live in a remote area so this was a must. It cuts great.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Neighbor recommended, turned out to be quite reliable. First thing to go was rear tires. Now the deck is starting to corrode after 12 years...

Original review: July 19, 2018

Works great - answered all my needs. It was a replacement for another riding mower (MTD I believe) that lasted about 10 years. The yard is at 100' x 200' and slopes enough that it is "marginally" dangerous to mow cross way. But often the grass is so high that going uphill is a pretty tough haul.

Original review: July 18, 2018

This mower is old. Sat-up for three years, plus. Transmission gives me fit's. But, once I get it moving- cuts great. Tougher than I am. Maintenance. Keeps on ticking. Can take a licking.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Easy to start. Very few issues. Has a nice grass catcher on back that I use a lot. Easy to drive as well. This has been a really good mower. I have performed some repairs on the mower since I got it, but nothing beyond just normal wear and tear.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My dad had this lawn mower for over 20 years then he gave it to me. He had very little maintenance that he had to do on it. I mow 2 yards with it and it still runs great.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Just want to let you know that all these big box mowers are Garbage only designed to last about 350 hours. Why? Same reason as light bulbs to make more money. They are in the business of making money not building quality products. I purchased a Craftsman Kohler pro 42 inch single cyl with hydraulic valves and hydro transmission back then in 1990 for $1600 and so far it has lasted 1500 hours for 20 years no smoking. That is quality. They stopped making the CV16.5 so they can put China plastic crap and sell it to you every 5 years. This is across the board in big box stores. Your choice is a selection of China Junk. Look for a used USA built Kohler engine powered mower or commercial used. It's a monopoly or crap mowers in any consumer brand.

Craftsman Riding Mowers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Craftsman, an 88-year-old tool company, creates quality mowers for residential use. This lawn and garden equipment company, a Sears subsidiary, offers entry-level and mid-range riding mowers and other tools.

• Quality construction: Craftsman has a reputation for quality parts, winning awards from Popular Mechanics and other organizations.

• Variety of attachments: These riding mowers have front and back attachments available for more versatility, such as a sweeper that cleans up leaves, clippings and other yard debris.

• Wide range of deck sizes: Homeowners can choose from multiple deck sizes accommodating up to three acres. The deck size is the length of the cutting blades and dictates the width of the mower's cutting path.

• Multi-speed transmissions: Seven-speed transmissions give the gardener full control over the mowing experience.

• Powerful engines: The quality engines provide enough power to handle challenging terrain and slopes.

• Best for: Homeowners seeking a quality built riding mower.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs