Compare Cookware Brands

Research top Cookware Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a round dish and a rectangular dish, each with glass lids in about 2010. I used them without incident until about 3 years ago when I took the rectangular dish out of the cupboard to use it and discovered a crack line extending pretty much all along the bottom of it. I didn't want a mess to clean if it broke in the oven, so I just threw it out.

Then, in December 2015, the glass lid on the round one was accidentally knocked on the floor. I heard a "pop", went into the kitchen to see what was going on, and saw the tiniest little glass shards just covering every inch of the kitchen floor. The reason this seemed so dangerous, is that it didn't just break into a couple or a few big pieces. The glass just shattered and covered the floor almost as though it were a carpet. I swept it up, but still, days after, I was finding more tiny little pieces in nooks on the floor. For adults, children and pets, this is a safety concern.

While watching TV the other night, I heard what sounded like glass breakage, but we were all together watching TV. So I figured it was the dishes in the sink shifting. The dog had heard it too because he lifted his head up and looked at me. Anyway the dog's water is in an older white Corningware cereal bowl and it just burst! No one was around. It was just sitting on the floor. My husband noticed it was in a million pieces and asked me what happened. Well I didn't know until I thought back to the sound that I had heard and remembered that the dog heard it too, as I said we were all together watching TV. Weird huh. Glad we weren't in there when it happened.

While making dinner two weeks ago, I took a 25-year old CorningWare casserole dish from the drawer. At room temperature, it suddenly exploded in my hands. With glass and blood all over the floor, I had a deep laceration across the joint of my thumb. After receiving seven stitches in the ER, I came home to my toy poodle keeping her one eye closed. The next day the Vet examined her and found she had been hit with glass and her eye had multiple scratches. Much pain and emotional stress due to my dog's injury, is what determined my need to write this. All my CorningWare has been thrown away. My friends have thrown away theirs as well. This product should have a safety warning on it!

Back in the early 80's, I bought some pieces of the Spice O'Life cookware. I still have them and am using them almost daily. I bake omelets in the oven in them with no problem. They wash and cook beautifully. I have even found some pieces in THRIFT SHOPS that are still working perfectly. My recommendation to users is PUT THEM IN A COLD OVEN, SET YOUR TEMPERATURE AND COOK. I have NEVER put them in a preheated oven and I think the PREHEATING is what is causing them to explode. That's just my 2 worth. LOVE MY CORNINGWARE. Made in the U.S.A. too!

I was cooking a curry in my white CorningWare dish tonight. I have had it around 15 years. It was in the oven on 180, I looked inside to check if it was doing OK and as I went to move the dish with an oven glove, the dish exploded and showered me with hot curry and shards of sharp CorningWare! Having checked the internet this evening I see this is often the norm! The original company was sold to China and the materials are no longer "from the freezer, to the oven, to the table" as the advert used to say. Very dangerous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CorningWare?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Corningware 1.5 quart ceramic baking dish - white: I was removing a hot beef stew from a slow cooker into this product for storage. When I placed the glass top (not sure if the top is even real glass) it exploded into a thousand pieces. Glass flew everywhere and a piece just missed my left eye. My wife and my dog were also in the kitchen at the time of the explosion and we were very lucky that nobody was injured by the flying glass. In my opinion this product is hazardous and Corning should remove it from retailers shelves. I bought the product at our local Target store and I have sent a picture of the dish after the explosion to Target.

Recently my brother an awful experience with Corning ware dish. It fell on the counter and broke into fine sharp chips everywhere in kitchen and living room. Unfortunately one piece hit his eye and he bled a large amount. He was driven to emergency and treated with antibiotics, he also lost several days of work. I would really appreciate if these dishes are made in a way, when they break injuries can be avoided. I also use them, mine also broke many times. I was lucky got away with minor pokes.

I put a room temperature pork tenderloin in my Corning roasting pan and put it in a preheated oven. After only 5 minutes I heard a loud pop. The dish had exploded in the oven and glass was everywhere. What a mess! I was shocked. I still use my Corningware from 1970 and never had a problem.

What an unbelievable experience with this glass dish - a three hour clean up taking the whole oven apart including the door. The oven was set at 325 and after about ten minutes in the oven I opened the door to check if my dessert was fine and the dish simply exploded broke and the cream, sauce and shattered glass were everywhere. This was the new type Corning, with a handle on each side of the 9 x 13 dish, clear glass, purchased just this year in December at a Corning store. I have two others in smaller sizes and now will be terrified to use them. I guess I will have to go back to metal pans.

My wife had set the oven to 400 degrees at 10 minutes and placed the baking dish in the oven, with two pieces of fish in it. She has done this several times with no problems. This time, after baking for about 9 minutes, the dish simply blew apart. We have never dropped this dish nor abused it. Had we been taking this dish out of the oven and it shattered, CorningWare would be looking at a serious liability situation. Something needs to be addressed for this continued flagrant attitude that CorningWare has adopted.

I was baking a chicken breast in the oven at 450 degrees for 25 minutes and when I took it out and the dish cooled, I noticed that my dish had a huge crack in it. I paid good money for two dishes and now I am afraid to use the other dish. After reading the other reviews, I am glad I did not leave the dish in longer because it probably would have exploded.

I had two (2) Pork Tenderloins that I had placed in two (2) of the same Corning ware/Pyrex glass baking dishes. Each tenderloin got its own baking dish. After 20 minutes of cooking at 350 - I went to the oven and opened the door to check on the progress of them. All of the sudden one (1) of the baking dishes EXPLODED right in front of my eyes! Glass went EVERYWHERE! There was glass in the oven, in the other baking dish, on the floor, on my arms and hands, in the drawer below the oven - it was everywhere.

I was hosting family dinner night and the main course was ruined. I was grateful that at least the glass didn't get in my eyes. We are on our second hour of trying to get the glass cleaned up and have gotten cut in the process. When that dish exploded it was so loud and it scared the crap out of me! I have two sets of all of the baking dishes and I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN for fear that I will get injured seriously if/when it happens again.

What I don't understand is this: Why did only one (1) of the glass pans break when they were both in the same environment? I want some answers and I DESERVE them! This is just crazy, but I am grateful that only the pork tenderloins were ruined AND NOT MY FACE OR EYES (that I know of because it just happened 2 hours ago!!!!). It is like the American people are paying good money for products that aren't worthy any longer. By the way, I have taken LOTS of pictures of the aftermath as proof.

I had a beautiful white casserole dish that was made in the USA. I accidentally hit it on the granite countertop and it chipped - not shattered. I begrudgingly bought a set of Corningware casserole dishes with glass and plastic lids. I am disgusted that it is made in China. After reading the posts on this website, I am taking it back and going on the hunt for MADE IN THE USA cookware. Companies located in the United States and that use China of all countries to make their products lose my respect and business!

Several months ago at Target, I purchased a small, shallow oval, 23oz French white stoneware dish with a plastic lid that vents. I washed it and put it away. Although I used the dish several times, I didn't use the lid for a few months. When I attempted to fit the lid on the dish, I discovered that it just doesn't fit. It seems to be too small. I worked at it for 20 minutes and then asked my boyfriend with huge strong hands to try. He couldn't either. I don't have the receipt and I already used the dish, so I didn't attempt to return it. I would like a replacement lid sent to me.

I was visiting my favorite family. The lovely hostess made delicious sweet potatoes with honey, and we put them in the fridge in a CorningWare casserole dish. Well, I picked the dish up and the cover slid off so quickly that we could not save the dish from dropping to the floor shattering in a million pieces, mixed well with orange potato. The dish is replaceable, the potatoes not, before she gets home anyway. Dear CorningWare, I hate you.

I put a room temperature baking dish with glass top in the oven with a chicken and rice dinner at 350 degrees. About 20 minutes later, I heard a loud bang. It was loud enough for even the dog to come running and barking into the kitchen. It sounded like a large gun shot. Upon looking around to find the source, I opened the oven and saw that the glass top had shattered. I closed the oven and turned it off, waited for it to cool and then put a towel over the top to keep it from exploding to my face. I threw out my dinner and cleaned glass shards out of my oven for the next hour. Tiny, tiny pieces everywhere. It was not taken from the fridge or freezer; it was at room temp!

This morning I made some oatmeal in a small french white Corningware casserole dish. I used a tablespoon to serve it and when I tapped the spoon on the bottom of the dish to get the excess oatmeal off it, the bottom of the dish broke into several large pieces and many smaller shards which went all over my stove and one made a small gouge in the flooring below the stove.

Not only did I not get my portion of oatmeal, I lost the dish that I usually make it in and had quite a mess to contend with. It was a real shock to me as I didn't hit the dish hard. It makes me think that Corningware is not a product I can feel confident in and I do have quite a few pieces. I was reading some other complaints and maybe having your product made in other countries to save costs will end up costing you many customers in the future!

On January 9th, 2010, I began to prepare a green bean casserole. With all ingredients out, I went to collect a casserole dish. I reached into my cupboard and retrieved the dish. As the dish was in my hand, I felt a tingle in my finger. I looked and the dish was broken on the floor and there was a huge gash in my hand (at the base of my right index finger, just before the crease connecting my finger to my hand) I did not hit the dish on anything. It broke for no reason in mid-air.

I have only had problems with new Pyrex and corning products. The old ones seem to be made of better materials, and the PyroCeram is very good. However, I bought some modern replacement bowls for my vintage Lazy Daisy dish set and had three glass dishes break in the microwave. They don't explode. They just crack in pieces and leave a mess. The foods were heated to manufacturer's suggested temperatures for Sharp, so I don't hold the microwave accountable, and I have had no problem heating the vintage dishes. When you consider the quality of PyroCeram, however, compared to the cheaply made products of today, I suppose it is not surprising that they are now incapable of making a safe or economical product anymore.

Why did you sell your product to China? Now we have cheap dishes that explode. Everyone has become so greedy.I am so fed up with all these companies. Keep things in America, so many people have had new Pyrex explode that were made in China. Don't deny it.

I've had a small Corning cutting board for about 5 years. Last evening I was using a Farberware percolator which was setting on the cutting board atop my stove top. The bottom of the percolator was not warm but for no reason the cutting board exploded. Most of the glass was confined to my stove top which was also not on. The glass did extend past the stove about 3 ft. The unusual thing we observed was that for the next 25 minutes the glass sizzled, danced and popped. My one friend who witnessed the event asked if we have poltergeists living here. We didn't dare clean it up until all the glass was done moving. Thank goodness no one was injured, just scared.

In 1971, I was feeding my son from a Corning Ware bowl, he pushed it to the carpeted floor less than 2 feet below him and it too exploded into shards of glass. The pieces missed him, thank God, but littered the floor and imbedded into my jeans like little arrows! I contacted the company but I don't recall I ever received satisfaction. My son will turn 40 this September. Interesting this is still happening.

Last night, I was cooking a small pork roast in a Corningware 9" by 13" glass dish. I checked on it once and it was and it still had a while left to cook but about 15 minutes later, I heard a loud bang. I opened the oven door and there was glass everywhere. I was thankful that this hadn't happened 15 minutes earlier when I had my head inside the oven door to peek at it.

There were hundreds of pieces of shards of glass everywhere. I threw out the roast and the baked potatoes and spent a very long time cleaning the oven. I had this dish for a few years and have not had a problem before and did not notice any cracks. When I went online to look up the address, I came upon a lot of similar situations. I took some pictures of the explosion in my oven and I have the broken piece that says Corningware and I plan to send it back to the company as soon as I find the address. I don't think I will use glass pans again as this could have been tragic.

One evening this week, my wife and I were watching TV in the living room when we heard an unusual noise in the kitchen. We entered the kitchen and noticed glass on the floor. The lid of a CorningWare casserole sitting on the counter had broken. The "break" could best be described as an explosion. The lid itself was intact but the knob was completely disintegrated. Most of the pieces were of pea size or greater but there were small slivers. The fragments covered a radius of approximately 10 feet. The dish was empty, clean, and at room temperature. No one was handling it at the time. The dish had been purchased within the year. No one was injured by the "explosion"

I sent for the $10 rebate for the purchase of a Corningware French White 18 pc. Set. on 4/28/05. Two monthe later I get a card telling me I had not sent an original UPC symbol or proof of purchase tab .. so no $10.

I sent in everything that was asked for and I want the $10 rebate check sent to me ASAP!

CorningWare Company Profile