Margate, FL

4.3/5 (274 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: April 14, 2022

I got a quote pretty soon after reaching out, after finding Colonial Van Lines online. I immediately started talking to a representative and got things set up. The guys showed up the morning within the timeframe I was told, wrapped all my stuff up, and delivered it four days later to my new place. They picked up my stuff on Sunday and delivered it on Thursday. The only thing that didn't go perfectly as planned was the delivery time. They said the delivery time was going to be in the morning, but it ended up being in the afternoon. However, that happens and there was not much to be done about that. Everything arrived in one piece and I was happy with it. I highly recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My mom moved from Mississippi to Nevada and she had many boxes and things. Colonial Van Lines said they were gonna be there and they arrived on time. They got the things delivered on time too. The reps kept us up-to-date at all times and communicated a lot. It was a very good experience. Everything was as it should have been when everything arrived.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: April 11, 2022

Everything was positive and the movers were phenomenal.

Binyomin,

Original review: April 10, 2022

Colonial was accurate with the date and the time and they have decent movers. Moving day was an easy day. They packed and whatever was not packed properly, they redid it. The men were professional and they knew what to do.

Sonia,

Original review: April 9, 2022

Everything from start to finish went smoothly. I needed my stuff delivered earlier than the two-week thing and the agent was able to work with me on that. The actual pickup crew was very responsive as well. Colonial called me a bunch of times before the movers came and after, they made sure everything was good. It was friendly service, they have good customer service, and they were very clear on the details of billing. If I do another move, I would use Colonial again.

Ian,

Original review: April 8, 2022

We talked on the phone to set up the move and then they sent me the information to fill out. I sent it back and they continually followed up with me to make sure everything was in line. They let me know a couple of days in advance when they were going to show up and they called me on the day of and said what time window. They showed up a little bit earlier than I expected, which was really nice. They were helpful as far as some of the things that I had neglected to mention or I forgot to tell them. I thought everything was packed by my standards, but apparently, it wasn't and they were very kind and very good about it. They told me how much it was going to cost if they wrap all the stuff and they brought up extra material. They had it all with them and it was very convenient.

My only complaint, if any, was that it was more expensive than I expected it to be. It ended up being a very expensive move because of how much crap I had. But they were very communicative about that and they offered to help me figure out how much weight I should really be claiming. Also, they were pretty good about following up with me and asking how my experience was. They called me back several times before I even finished unpacking to find out how the experience went.

Geoffrey,

Original review: April 7, 2022

My experience with Colonial Van Lines was perfect. Everything went like they said it was gonna go. They were reasonably priced and I liked the attitude of the people I talked to. They weren't pushy. They were very accommodating and kept in contact. The driver's name was Maurice and he was fantastic.

John,

Original review: April 6, 2022

Everything was good. I moved to Atlanta, Georgia from Connecticut. However, it took so long. It took two weeks. I don't know what the delay was.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: April 5, 2022

I was in the process of getting bids from different companies when I was in Myrtle Beach and Colonial happened to pop up on my computer. I checked on them and did a little bit of background check. I ended up calling them. Their rep was very cordial. I've moved enough times that I can tell when somebody is trying to pull some wool. He was surprised that I was able to come back to him with some things about the trucking industry. He backed up and regrouped when told him I drove a tractor-trailer for seven years across the country. He knew that he couldn't bamboozle me.

The rep was trying to do me a favor and the driver was wanting to come in early. He told dispatch not to let them come in. They dropped the ball and never called me to tell me that they wouldn't be there. I stayed up most of the night to try to finish getting everything packed and ready to go. I ended up sitting there waiting for a whole day. When I called and talked to him, he owned up to it right away. He said, “That's totally on me. I did that. I didn't think you would be ready.” But I am always ready when the truck shows up.

The two guys that came out were very nice. One was very accommodating and he helped me out with a few things, which I told him ahead of time. One was with my TV. It was a big TV and it was too big for me and too heavy for me to handle by myself. I have the box here and I needed somebody to help me pick up the TV and put it in the box. Once he saw that I needed the help, he that was not my job. He and his helper put it in the box and they padded it very well. I had some glass and he was really afraid to take it because he was afraid it was going to get broken. I said, “If you wrap it in your pads, even if you have to wrap it twice, it should be fine. Unless you set something on top of it or it just literally falls without the padding, then we’re gonna have an issue.” He padded it.

They were there at 8 o'clock in the morning and were done by 2 o'clock. I had everything boxed up and ready to go for the most part. I had enough phone numbers for the different people. They made sure that I had enough people that I could contact. To make sure that even if I couldn't get ahold of one I wanted, I had somebody else that I could contact then they could do their thing inside the building with whoever it was that I needed to talk to. I had the driver’s cell number as well.

When he loaded up, he said, “I live in Virginia, would you mind if I took an extra day and went home to see my kids for at least 24 hours?” That was fine with me. My husband and I drove cross country so I understand. I was not here when he showed up. But he called me and he said, “I'm here. Can I start unloading?” I said I would be there in about five minutes. When I got here, they already started unloading. I was running back and forth. I assumed I had everything. It took them five hours to load and two hours to unload.

On the whole, there were a few little issues, but nothing that I was going to complain about. The one thing that threw me for a curve was there were three of them unloading the truck and they had me busy running back and forth between the truck and here in the house. One of them hit one of the corners on the doorways and knocked the drywall off the corner about the size of a quarter and they didn't tell me about it. They were gone by the time I saw it. It wasn't the end of the earth and it wasn’t life-threatening. But it put a sour taste in my mouth. It would have been better if they had just said, “We had an accident. This is what we just did. We want you to know about it.”

Elaine,

Resolution response: June 7, 2022

Donna is CVL's Customer Service and Resolutions Department is a true class act and professional. She reached out to help solve my issues and right the issues I had with my moving experience. Rating a 5 star review because of Donna.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Do not use this company for any of your moving needs. I have a move from Fresno, CA to Dallas, TX in March 2022. My items were in short term storage and to be delivered in TX a few weeks after pick up. My account manager Tamia stated that my items would be delivered on 3/26. That day came and no call no show from driver. That night they called and said they would be delivered on 3/27. They charged me $775 bucks for a shuttle fee to deliver my items even though there was PLENTY of room for a semi truck to be able to deliver my items and per my contract they would be able to deliver them if there was room.

On 3/27 when my items were delivered several items were broken, every box was smashed and the driver stated there were several boxes left in Austin that he didn't know what to do with because they were leaking. Here I am a week later and no idea how many boxes I am truly missing. I know it is at least two. No response and no info from the account manager and the company doesn't know what's going on. Save yourself the trouble and DO NOT USE THIS UNETHICAL COMPANY!

Bill,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: April 4, 2022

The rep was very clear and a very good person. Good communication. Pickup was made on Wednesday, 16th of March, and delivery happened on 26th Saturday. The movers were good, hardworking people. The only thing that was a bit surprising was Colonial hired a third party company to do the moving. I wish I was told about that, that it’s not the Colonial’s own employed people who will come to pack and drive and deliver them. That is one thing that many people will not like. And if you were doing that, you should tell your customer that, “It will not be the Colonial’s own crew. We’ll be outsourcing this project and another company will show up.” But the people who came there were good people. They did their best to work.

We still do not have a couple of items accounted for. We opened all the boxes. Part of a kitchen rack or case has missing parts that prevents us from using it because it will leak water. Also, one cover for a hanging chair was torn apart. So, I reached out to Colonial. But I haven't heard back from them for several days. Those are the two things I'm hoping Colonial will address to refund.

We made an update during the process of ramping up to the packing days. And the estimate went up by a few hundred dollars. That was not surprising because we added and deleted some items, and the addition was more than deletion. But the final movers claimed that because of needing additional packaging material for the corner curio which has some glass windows, they billed some $350 more than the quote, which was a surprise to me, that everybody will understand that this is a showpiece type furniture and it will have glass. So I thought the initial estimate would include additional packaging needed for protection of glass.

That remained an unresolved topic. I told Colonial that they have it coded and after moving, before the day of delivery, they asked for $350 more, and without that, they will not deliver it. I had to pay for it but the Colonial team said that they would address it once they had more clarification about what was the additional packing, if all that increased the estimare. All of my items remained within the estimated weight for shipping, because the only term and condition was if the weight goes beyond the 5,800 pounds, then there will be a specific pound rate increase, which I understand. It didn't go beyond that. The three things remain unresolved - the broken item and the missing parts, and the unexpected increase in the estimate. If they're resolved with either good proof or to refund, then Colonial becomes a strong recommendation.

M,

Our team would like to thank you for the effort made in sharing your experience with the public. As household movers, we appreciate the opportunity to have played a role in your relocation and we wish you all the best in your new location.

Original review: April 3, 2022

Colonial won't last. Once they have your life packed on a truck you are at the mercy of a company that does not care or have the capacity to to do the job right. Lies at every stage of the move. Poorly packed, mis-labeled boxes, trailers and trucks that are falling apart, short staffed, unapologetic support, I could write a book on everything that went wrong. By far the most mishandled and stressful move I have ever had.

Showed up a day late to start, took one double shift day longer to pack than promised, trailer leaked and I was asked to fix it, delays in delivery due to failing equipment, Inventory is a joke, once delivered good luck finding anything you are looking for in the vaguely / mislabeled boxes. Cross your fingers that the poorly packed boxes don't contain broken, beat up items. Had to leave stuff behind because of poor space estimate. Stuff we said should be left behind was packed and stuff we needed to move had to be abandoned. Truly, nothing went right.

Ken,

Original review: April 3, 2022

They arrived faster than what we expected and they were efficient. Everything arrived in good conditions. Nothing was broken. The two Josephs that I worked with were very good. One was in marketing and the other one was in coordination. The experience was great.

Nicole,

Original review: April 2, 2022

The reps that I dealt with were both really nice people. They were lovely ladies. They were very friendly and they had a lot of information for me. Once the moving was set up, the person I spoke to was really great.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: April 1, 2022

Everything went fine with Colonial. The crew was courteous. They were good people. If I need them again, I would go with them again.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 31, 2022

Working with Colonial was okay. They did a good job. The movers were great, too.

Marketta,

Original review: March 30, 2022

Everything was good. They did a great job.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 29, 2022

The first gentleman I talked to was very helpful. However, there was a lot of changing of time as far as when my things were going to be delivered. It also ended up being late at night.

Jeanne,

Original review: March 28, 2022

It was a very good experience with Colonial Van Lines. They were very professional. Things went as expected. They delivered everything on time. The team at Colonial Van Lines, especially Veronica and Joseph with whom I worked with, were very responsive and helpful. Their price was also very competitive and within budget for me.

The crew was very accommodating. I told them my problem with the place where they were going to pick up all the luggage. They had a 16-wheel truck scheduled to pick up, but they thought that that might not fit in my area. So they sent out a smaller truck to make sure it goes well. They were very good. They were helpful and very responsive. I was pretty much prepared for them to pick up, except during my car pick up, the guy gave me time between 3:00 to 5:00. He called me at 4 o'clock. At 4 o'clock, I was at my friend's place to drop off some stuff. I told him that I'm stuck in traffic. I'd be there, but I'd be late, but he didn't wait. That was the only hiccup I had. But I took it upon myself because it was the issue from my side.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 27, 2022

Colonial was fantastic. Everything was perfect. The guys were great and nothing was damaged.

Original review: March 26, 2022

In February I begin to research companies. I requested a quote and got four responses Colonial Vân Lines was one of my quotes. The sales guy (Jonathan) was friendly and professional. He gave me some advice about staying away from a Brokerage company because they were a rip off. They would take my money and leave hanging as they try to find a company to move me. I didn't want that experience, so I listened to him. As I continued to look at quotes from other companies, Jonathan continued to call. It was all a scam to get me to go with his company. They decided they would match any offer I received, so I believe this was a reputable company I was dealing with at the beginning. So, after thinking about it, I decided I would go Colonial because Jonathan assured me, they were not a brokerage company and the movers would be on time and I would get my items shipped on time to me.

On the day They arrived everything changed. It was not a moving company from Colonial Van Lines, but another company they contract out to. I called the company, my manager was not available and enquired on who this company was and was told "oh we don't have trucks available to move you, so we contract out your move to this company." Well, I knew I was in trouble because they did not honor the initial inventory agreement. I was stuck because I had to move on February 3 because I have to drive from California to Memphis, TN. by February 7. Which I had arranged to get to my new apartment before the movers. I was already packed. They continued to deny things I could take. I end up throwing out a lot of my things.

One of their concerns was they had to be 75 feet from apartment. Their truck had to be able to park 75 feet away from my apartment, and if they could not park, I would have to pay for a shuttle service. Well, I assured them they could park right next to my building. They end up parking in the street on the right side and cars just went around them. After they continue to pack me, one of the movers said, "Since you are throwing items out we can take more boxes," and they did. They left my apartment on February 3. They were suppose to leave with my items on the 7th of February heading to Memphis. I realized they were operating like a brokerage company. The company that picked my up said they did not work for Colonial Van Lines they work for Cal Lines.

I got to my apartment on the 8th of February. I assumed the movers were right behind me, I got a call from Manager, Tamia, she said, "I need your new address," and I gave it to her nd then she informed me the movers were not going to be there on the 11th, The move had been moved back and she would call me. Well, I was forced to buy items that set on their truck. I spent on $500 dollars buying things I needed. The next time she called, she said eta date for your items. I was upset. I told her I needed my things. I told her I was buying things that were sitting on that truck. She apologized and said, "I will call you when I have a date and time." I told her to have supervisor call me because they should compensate me for the daily. She called back and said they would compensate at a rate of 30 dollars. I was in disbelief. I disagreed with her. She said she had to get approved.

The next call I received I was told the movers would be there on Monday March 7th. I was angry, frustrated and asked about my compensation. She said 330 dollars would be taken from my bill. I agreed. This company Cal Lines started calling me. I spoke to a young lady name Yonie. She said, "Can we come Sunday," I told her I was out of town. She said okay, Monday will be the date. Then she said they needed me to pay before the movers arrived and I refused. This is when they began to threaten to not deliver my furniture. I told them I wanted to physically see my items. They got irate. Their manager called and said if I did not pay today, which was Saturday the 5th, I would pay in cash. My agreement with Colonial Van Lines was I could pay with a credit card. They said no credit card, I had to pay with cash. I refused.

Then Colonial called and said I needed to pay a shuttle fee. I was flabbergasted. I told them my apartment complex was wide enough for an 18 wheeler and called my manager at Colonial. She said I had to pay in cash. I question why they were honoring their agreement with me. I had a first floor apartment near the exit. I asked them if they had talked to anyone at the Apartment Managers office to see what the measure were for large side vehicles they said no.

Monday arrived and they came in a Uhaul. I knew large said Vehicles had been here. I had seen them. They arrived and demanded I pay. I said no, I was not paying in cash and refused to pay the shuttle fee. I was told I would not get my furniture. They sat outside of my door for 45 minutes and then they drove away. I was adamant, I was not paying in cash. The second company was very rude and so was the driver. A manager from Colonial, Benjamin called and said to pay in cash or not get my furniture. Again, I refused. He then said, "I will give you a compensation because we did have your address for four weeks and we did not mention the shuttle was needed." He said, "Pay them and I will send an email detailing a compensation package." I agreed to pay with a credit card. They begin to unload the truck. I was on the phone with both companies at the same time and back and forth.

I noticed after I paid with my credit card pink tape on all my boxes. I had packed everything myself. The driver said please sign stating I had received my items. I didn't have an opportunity to count. I signed then asked for a copy. He refused. I asked why not. He said they don't give them out. Colonial would send a receipt. I took pictures of each page. I knew that was wrong, but I was mentally drained, and the gentlemen were not the friendliest. I wanted them out of my apartment. They did not wear mask even though I gave one a mask and required them to wear mask. They left, that is when I discovered missing boxes, broken items, vacuum cleaner, tv, bowls, antique bowl. The worse experience of my life. They say they are not a brokerage company, but they operate like one. Now when I call, I can't get anyone to return my calls. No email about my compensation.

Good morning ,

Original review: March 26, 2022

I loved using Colonial. Everything was awesome. The movers who came to pack me up were incredible. Then when I got here, it was the same thing. The movers were exceptional. However, Colonial told me the more I do, the cheaper it’d be. I packed my entire house by myself and thought it was gonna save me money. But I regret all the work that I put into it because it didn't save me anything.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 25, 2022

It was a very good experience with Colonial. They told me exactly what the cost would be and it was only $5 off. They did a very good job of estimating the weight. The senior moving agent was very informative. He kept communicating and wanted me to get with him if the smallest thing went wrong. He was, customer service-wise, all over everything. The other agent, on the other hand, sounded like she was bored and just getting through it, talking fast. She was not a good customer service representative for the company. The interaction was very dry. She wasn't a happy person. But the people that Colonial used to do my loading/unloading were extremely nice and did a very good job. The only thing I had was one tiny broken bowl but that was fine. It was probably my packing more so than the moving.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 24, 2022

The crew was great. They were really nice people, as well as efficient. They loaded the items and delivered in three weeks, but being qualified, I told them I was not in any hurry. It was articles for my mother's estate, so it didn’t have to be a rush. I’ve had a really good experience. Colonial Van Lines made it easy, and I can’t complain at all. There were no changes from the quote to the final cost. They were very good about reviewing it and keeping me abreast on what the prices would be. I would definitely tell people to check and get a quote from Colonial, at least, if they did not have anybody.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 23, 2022

Everything went well. I was happy about it. Bobby, the driver, called me in advance. He did exactly what he said he would do. However, I've gotten probably a dozen calls from Colonial. I've been patient and answered questions but that part of it has been a little bit over the top. I can understand good communication, but it's been excessive communication.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 21, 2022

Best estimated cost. Too many contacts. Lack of management of delivery. Pick up went very smoothly. Had to pay for an extra day delay in loading ($500). Delivery was the worst experience we have had in many moves as a career military family. Again we paid for two extra days for delivery ($1,000) date and storage which could have been eliminated if the driver had changed his delivery route. Our antique dining room table legs and pedestal were broken and glued without informing us. The delivery driver stated he did not do it. Most of the Colonial reps were responsive and professional. Caution: be sure you know about the "window" for delivery dates and that the drivers are contracted and have a significant responsibility for your items.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 18, 2022

The coordinator was great. He knew what he was asking. He thought of stuff that I didn't think of to ask or add to the inventory. Their estimated rate was a little lower than the actual rate. But I expected that. The movers were fantastic. During pick-up, they were pretty quick and expedient getting everything moved. When they did the drop off, they had some issues getting down my driveway with their truck, but they didn't give up on it. So they finally got it down here.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: March 15, 2022

Let me start by saying I've done several long distance moves: HI to CT, CT to FL, FL to PA, and this PA to FL. This experience has been the WORST moving experience I've ever had. Here is what I was "sold" vs what I received:

#1 Sold - they weren't a brokerage/used their own people.

#1 Received - one of their "agent" companies did the actual move using Ryder trucks. Further, the agent company (BCM Relocation) hired day labors to assist their driver with the move. When goods were delivered, one of the day labors was stopped from working due to the police needing to speak with him regarding a hit & run accident.

#2 Sold - two payments made by credit card (deposit and drop off).

#2 Received - BCM Relocation demanded $1000 upon pickup and the rest upon delivery. When I fought with BCM Relocation people (who called me a ** on the phone), they told me if I had a problem that I needed to contact Colonial because they were my contract company. After agreeing to receive payment upon delivery, they retaliated by refusing to accept credit card payment and demanded cash/cashier's check.

#3 Sold - acct manager would contact me a few days prior to pickup/delivery for date confirmation.

#3 Received - acct manager called the night before pickup to tell me of pickup and the driver of the vehicle called at 9:30pm to tell me delivery would happen at 10am the next morning.

#4 Sold - weight estimate of 3500 based on inventory.

#4 Received - weight of 4700 and no proof/documentation to justify the additional weight.

#5 Sold - communication throughout the move.

#5 Received - couldn't reach anyone on move team for a week; was assured management would reach out to me, but it never happened.

#6 Sold - all items would be tagged/color coded to ensure no inventory mix-ups.

#6 Received - upon delivery, multiple items were placed in my house which weren't mine.

If all this wasn't enough, I have several destroyed items and now have to attempt to make a claim for reimbursement. Lastly, not to divulge personal information, the driver I had for Colonial/BCM Relocation for delivery had a medical emergency DURING delivery and (IMO) should not be medically cleared to drive ANY motor vehicle. Yet, when delivery was complete and the paramedics were gone, the driver drove himself away in the Ryder truck. Avoid Colonial and BCM Relocation - they will make your long distance move a nightmare.

Cindy,

Resolution response: March 15, 2022

Originally I posted a bad review for this company but since they have reached out and Donna specifically worked hard to help resolve my issues. The shipper was the one at fault and not Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Colonial Van Lines is the worst moving company I have ever worked with. I moved my mother from NC to Florida in 2021 and from the start this was a miserable experience. From the beginning what I was quoted and what I was charged are COMPLETELY different. Their estimate was around $5700.00 for the move and the final bill was over $11,000! Not only this but when I finally looked at what they delivered at least 50% of the items and furniture were broken beyond belief and some of the more expensive and desired furniture items and carpets never even made it to the final destination. They literally took the most destroyed items and hid them under blankets in the back of the storage unit so I couldn't view them before they left.

We had a very expensive bedroom set and one of the main armoires never made it at all and I know the new homeowners wouldn't have allowed anything to remain in the house. This means the drivers couldn't even get the item into the truck without destroying it beyond belief or they gave it to another client before reaching us. Utterly irresponsible what they did to us. Then once completed the drivers asked be for a cash tip $500 a piece. The nerve of these people.

Once I was able to figure all of this out I filed a claim which they quickly denied for no good reason. This is not just monetary losses, this is everything my mother and deceased father have collected their whole lives and the devastation of this move put my mother into a tailspin which ultimately contributed to her untimely death as well. This moving company is not to be trusted and I highly recommend using ANYONE else regardless of cost. They will tell you they are the cheapest but that is not what you will pay. You will pay much more by the end, on your credit card and by loss of sleep and hair. PLEASE BEWARE!

Original review: March 10, 2022

The crew packed everything up in a couple of hours. There was one piece of furniture that was very unstable to start with and they had broken the leg on it. They told me about it and put it back together as best as they could. When my things arrived, everything was in good shape. All in all, it was a pretty good experience.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information