Pompano Beach, FL

4.3(2,553)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • In-house training center for movers and drivers
    • Easy booking process
    Cons
    • No local moves
    • No international moving services

Stars Rating

• 54%
    • 30%
    • 9%
    • 2%
    • 5%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
      MoversPacking

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2022

There was a language barrier with the moving crew, which was hard, but they were great and considerate workers. All in all, Colonial Van Lines did really well and we'd recommend them. The move was very stressful but they made it easy. At the moment, we're still going through boxes and we can't find our old family gold nugget. Also, we wish that the movers wouldn't have taken stuff out of our dressers. They're private and what they did was strange.

Mitch/Laurie

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceMoversQuote Accuracy

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! They lie. They charge for things they didn't do. They say the weight is more than what it actually is. They do not return calls. They are the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with. My move is now costing me DOUBLE what they quoted because they don't return calls, emails, or texts and they lie about charges. They are a total scam. They have had my things for 4 days and are now holding it hostage until I pay them yet more money. Hire anyone but Colonial Van Lines!

Kimberly,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. The resolutions manager has been advised, you can also reach her directly at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you

Customer ServiceQuote AccuracyDamage

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2022

Our moving experience with Colonial Van Lines was nothing less than an absolute nightmare. Size, weight totally underestimated. No consistency with communication. Staff used for loading picked up at the local community kitchen-no moving experience and were seeking drugs. 3 loads of trash left on our front lawn from the moving van. A lot of Furniture damaged. Would not reimburse for the 14’ Uhaul truck we had to rent to transport all of the furniture that did not fit on their truck. Arrived at new location 4 days after they said they would arrive.

Eileen,

Customer Service

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2022

I got three estimates and Colonial Van Lines was the most reasonable. They were responsive to all my calls or emails and the service was exactly what I expected. There were some delays in pick-up and in delivery, but they were communicated.

Kristie,

Sales & MarketingPriceQuote Accuracy

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2022

Description of Complaint: Colonial has deceived me on the price per pound that I paid. Original price based on the weight alone (10,990 POUNDS) was $.5187/pound. When rewrite was done based on 11,214 was $.7827/pound. The truck weight after my goods were loaded was only 6,265 pounds. Under their estimate by 4,949 pounds! The original estimate has a line item charge of $2,854.23 for a Binding Estimate Fee. Why does this fee NOT appear on the rewrite? I believe it is so they could up the charge per pound so the Total Moving Estimates would come in close to the same amount per pound on the Totals!! Only a $.001 per pound difference.

This company has many ways to be deceitful on how they are charging you. Be sure, if you use them, that the price per pound is filled in. It was NOT even a line item on my original paperwork and left blank on the rewrite. I never signed and approved the rewrite and asked them 4 times to send me a copy. I have never received a signed copy. My goods would/could not be unloaded from the truck until I paid what Colonial required so I was manipulated to pay what they said, otherwise incurring additional charges. After my goods were unloaded I received a copy of the rewrite, but NOT a signed copy. After I wrote my original complaint Colonial contacted me and offered a monetary settlement if I would give them a 5 star rating. This is against the BBB rules. If I wanted the compensation I would first have to send them a copy of the post! One more way of deceit. This is a Bait and Switch Company. BUYER BEWARE!

Karen,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to you regarding your concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote Accuracy

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2022

Things worked out perfectly with Colonial Van Lines and all the movers were really awesome. But toward the end, I got calls from multiple people with conflicting dates. It wasn't a big deal but it made it confusing. Also, the cost was pretty high compared to the other move that I've done before.

Neha,

PriceMoversQuote Accuracy

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2022

My wife and I moved about seven times and every time we had a move, it was a nightmare. This last time, we chose Colonial and figured we'd get ripped off again like we did all the other times. But surprisingly, they did a very good job. We moved from Bradley Beach to Milton, Delaware and they had to store our furniture for a couple of months while our house was being renovated. There was a change between the quote they gave us and the final cost because there were a few things that were heavier than I had anticipated and we had a couple of more boxes than we had anticipated. But the change was very little and the guy already explained to us beforehand that that was going to be a possibility, so it wasn't a surprise.

Bill,

Packing

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2022

I chose Colonial after getting 3 bids. They weren’t the lowest but I felt they were more accurate about our move. We haven’t moved for 25 years and Lauren, the specialist helping us, has been both patient and very helpful so far. We are still packing.

PriceQuote Accuracy

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2022

The quote I got from Colonial Van Lines was pretty competitive and slightly lower than some. The service was excellent right down the line and I would tell other to go ahead and book them because the experience will be a positive one.

Sandra,

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & SpeedDamage

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2022

Two guys came and did a great job. They worked hard and didn't have any stuff damaged. But there was a lot of miscommunication. I got a call asking if they could come a couple of days early and I said they could. Then, I got another call the next day that said that they were just gonna come on the day scheduled. So that was fine. But they showed up a couple of days early when I wasn't quite ready. They got me early and that was good. But we had slowed down because of the call, thinking that they were going to come the day of. I liked Colonial's price though it went up. It had a lot to do with having more weight than what we had anticipated. It wasn't too bad and that was to be expected.

Brain,

Our team would like to thank you for the effort made in sharing your experience with the public. As household movers, we appreciate the opportunity to have played a role in your relocation and we wish you all the best in your new location.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingMovers

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2022

If I could rate any lower I would START at -5 stars. Not only is moving a stressful process. This company has lied to us numerous times within our initial pickup date by saying the truck broke down. Come to find out, they didn't even talk to the dispatch OR truck driver. We planned to turn off our electricity and water from our old place, but was told to wait 2 extra days for the movers to come pick-up our stuff for the move. It has been 10 days and we have had NOT 1, NOT 2, BUT 3 total different people assigned as our moving coordinators. Every single person we have talked to about this over the phone to get an ETA or any possible update where our stuff is even located, has given us ALL DIFFERENT INFORMATION.

We are constantly trying to figure out a correct eta when our stuff is being delivered. They also stated they would only be giving us a 30$ discount/reimbursement for THEIR fault. They privately hire contractors to pick-up & deliver. Also they don't tell you the route or how many stops will be along the way. They state they have contact with the driver but again was a lie. After trying to contact a manager or higher-up. We were given even less attention and no remorse for our belongings as we have already set a down payment of 1,500$. Our total is almost 4,000 for 300 miles.

None of the customer service will give names to help you define your case. This place is a scam and already been notified to local police, Better Business Bureau. Not to mention I don't know where or when my stuff will even arrive. AVOID THIS MOVING COMPANY AT ALL COST. GRADE A SCAM!!!! Will post updates to this post as I learn more about this company and wherever my stuff ended up.

Dylan,

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with Colonial Van Lines. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to Nicol regarding your concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Verified purchase
      Rebecca increased rating by 4 stars.
      Customer ServiceSales & MarketingMoversPunctuality & SpeedDamage
      After a positive interaction with Colonial Van Lines, Rebecca increased their star rating on Nov. 3, 2022.

Updated review: Nov. 3, 2022

Special thanks to Donna at Colonial Van Lines. She has helped us to work through some issues with our move. Donna took the time to listen and communicate information that provided us with good service. Thank you for resolving and giving us great Five star customer service.

Original Review: Oct. 13, 2022

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM.. I REPEAT. DO NOT SHOP WITH THEM, please. Terrible. LIARS. Won't admit their own faults. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. They don't even know who and where the movers are, because they are independently contracted out. Your precious items WILL arrive beyond late with no apologies or remorse, damaged, and stolen. LIARS. Customer service is terrible besides Donna who is on call strictly because the company is so awful and unprofessional. Armenia A. Is a terrible employee and needs to be fired for disgusting customer service. Already reported this company to Better Business Bureau. Don't waste your hard earned money. These people have no remorse and don't care at all.

Pinned

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with Colonial Van Lines. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to Nicol regarding her concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Nicol increased rating by 4 stars.
      Customer ServicePriceMoversPunctuality & Speed
      After a positive interaction with Colonial Van Lines, Nicol increased their star rating on Nov. 7, 2022.

Updated review: Nov. 7, 2022

Original Review: Oct. 13, 2022

This has got to be the worst experience ever! I am only moving 320 miles away and they were late 2 days for pick up. No one has answers for me, and they lied to me and said the truck broke down. Currently, I still haven't received my things, which now they are telling me, I won't get my stuff for another several weeks and again no one know why? (Which would be a month). People are rude, and have lied to me - this has been the WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER!!! They deserve any stars. BTW: I still haven't received my belongs and they are charging me $3400.

Nicol,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with Colonial Van Lines. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to you regarding your concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

PriceQuote Accuracy

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2022

I called Colonial Van Lines and spoke with Tracy. She was so supportive and encouraging. I had a good feeling about it talking with her. The quote was fair and we didn't have any problem with it.

Eleanor,

PriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2022

There was terrible coordination with the date of the move and how it would be. We couldn't get in touch or get answers from them after we had been given the quote and the move itself. Then, we were told we were going to move on a day that we had told them we could not move because we were going to a closing. We left messages for six days saying that day was impossible for us to move. We heard from them late in the day before they said they were gonna show up. They said they had moved the move to the next day. Other than that, as far as the move itself, the company they subbed it out to, Little John, was excellent. They really worked very hard to accommodate us with the loading and unloading.

Anne,

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2022

Colonial Van Lines showed up and unloaded everything. They were done quickly and were on their way. It went smoothly.

Darrell,

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2022

It was a decent experience. It felt satisfactory to me.

Naji,

Customer ServiceMoversPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 6, 2022

It was great with Colonial Van Lines. They were able to service the date that I needed relatively quickly. I called them on a Saturday, and they were able to do the pickup the same week that I needed it in Texas. They delivered it relatively quickly, even though I didn't need it very quickly. It was delivered to New Jersey within five days of the pickup. I liked the fact that it was the same team. It was what was unique. I’ve moved on several occasions, and I’ve never had the same team pick up and also deliver it.

Juli,

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2022

Whatever Colonial initially put in the invoice, the final amount was almost similar. Also, the driver was helpful. So overall, they delivered whatever they promised regarding the service. I'll recommend them.

Pritosh,

Customer ServiceMovers

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2022

I called Colonial and a couple of other moving companies and nobody could beat Colonial. The customer service was outstanding. The wonderful young lady who was my coordinator took all of my information and helped me connect with the driver as well as the inventory person. She walked me through everything that I needed to know and was really detailed in providing me with a ton of information. She was extremely polite and very patient with me.

Then, the movers immediately got ahold of me. I gave them the list of all the belongings. I even had to make several changes and they were extremely patient with me and provided me with additional savings because I had less than what I thought I was going to have. They walked me through everything and confirmed it a couple of times, which was really good because it kept changing for me. They called me every step of the way from Illinois to Texas letting me know where they were and they took excellent care of my belongings. Colonial went above and beyond from the beginning all the way to the end. I was so happy.

Shelly,

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPacking

Reviewed Oct. 3, 2022

I contacted Colonial well in advance to be moved from Indiana to North Carolina. They said no problem, we can make that move for you. I paid a nice size down payment, and confirmed my moving date. When date came, they told me they had no trucks in Indiana, maybe try for tomorrow. For three or 4 days, I got this run-a-round. I had to be out of my house in just a few short days. I got on the phone and found another company that agreed on Thursday to move me either Friday or Sat and I picked Saturday. Even though the cost was 50% higher than colonial, I got moved.

When the other company was there packing the moving van, I got a call from colonial stating they had no trucks in Indiana to move us, and they didn’t know when they would have. How can a company say they would move you on a date, and not make sure they had trucks available for the move. Don’t ever trust Colonial to do a move for you cause you can’t trust them to keep their word.

Thelma S.

Thelma,

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 3, 2022

In general, my experience with Colonial Van Lines was very good, and I am satisfied with their service. They were a cheaper price compared to the other moving company and they sent people who are professional. They kept with the schedule they promised too. There were some delays, but they gave me notice. They called me constantly and updated me about the progress.

Tracey,

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2022

The rep saw some pictures of the items in my home, and we went over that. We also added some stuff and they adjusted as needed. Colonial Van Lines had another pickup and another drop-off, and I was fine with that. We went from Virginia Beach to San Antonio, and the movers took a week, which was enough time. 'Cause I was more concerned with the delivery date than the pickup date. The only issue we had was moving the items into storage when they arrived. We loaded with three people, but they only hired two people to unload and we definitely could use the other person. I ended up helping them offload to storage while the other one unpacked the truck. Other than that, my experience was really good.

Daniel,

Movers

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2022

The reps were good, and the expectations they set were accurate. Everything went well.

Pino,

MoversPunctuality & SpeedDamagePacking

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2022

Colonial has been terrible and completely out of touch with their contractors. Terrible communicators and has no clue what went on throughout my move. The movers showed up in a Penske rental truck that was too small for all my furniture. They had no boxes or materials to pack even though it was paid to be a full pack. The driver was wearing flip flops. Showed up several days late almost caused issues with the closing of my house sale. When my furniture showed up the drivers refused to assemble anything and refused to move items upstairs even though it was paid to include the steps. Dropped everything in the garage and left. Totally screwed us. DO NOT USE THESE MOVERS!!!

Mark,

PriceDamagePacking

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2022

The island at my house has two pullout cabinets and two big drawers, and none of the items there were packed. My daughter didn't notice that those things have not been packed up, and they were standing in front of them when she was supposed to sign the papers that said everything was packed. It's quite a bit of stuff. It's pots and pans and silverware, and my daughter is shipping them to me, but it's going to cost her money to do that. Other than them missing those things, things went quite well.

Mary,

MoversPunctuality & SpeedPacking

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2022

The person I first talked to walked me through everything and he was great, but the movers were the best part. The driver helped me pack some last-minute things up, got me there quick and walked me through everything as well. He was great. From the time they picked up to when they dropped off, it took four days, which was perfect. The only thing was they came a day early, but we were ready, so it was fine.

Patrick,

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2022

As far as the moving process goes, it was all smooth. It just took kind of a long time. I was given a timeframe of August 2nd to the 18th, and then it ended up getting here about August 24th. But it was fine. The account managers were good at giving me updates. I was pretty happy with everything. They had good rates. It was all reasonable.

Ben,

MoversPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2022

I initially set things up online, then I spoke with multiple representatives and they were fine. The crew that came was great as well. They were super quick and knocked the job out really well. The drop off arrived on time too, but the items were not intact.

Philip,

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & SpeedDamage

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2022

I did several comparisons of quotes across local and major van line companies before we went with Colonial. There were also a couple of websites that rated Colonial well. So we ultimately chose them because of the good price and they were well-reviewed. We moved from California to Pennsylvania. The pickup was fine. The drop off was better scheduled. But overall, it was better than I expected. The final price ended up being exactly what they said it would be. They were super communicative, and their customer service was really good. We used their full pack option, so we didn't pack anything. They were quick and they were pretty careful with the little things. But on a macro level, some of the furniture was damaged. It was not groundbreaking or horrible, but it was still an issue.

Marisa,

Customer ServicePriceMoversPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2022

My coordinator, Lauren, was with me every step of the way. She answered every single one of my calls, especially at the most important time. She was phenomenal. I had heard so many sad stories about part of the moving company and how they leave you high and dry once you book with them. But Lauren didn't do that. She gave me a really, really amazing price. She was honest with me from the start. As the move got closer, I was checked on constantly. Then the actual moving service that came was even better. They were A1. Colonial set me up with a good company that moved my belongings. The only hiccup was that the arrival time was off. But they rectified it. You didn't even notice it because they were really great.

Kaycee,

Customer ServiceMovers

Reviewed Sept. 24, 2022

I had the pleasure of communications with Mr. Tom **, and I must say, our telephone conversations was very Professional, and Tom knew all of the answers before I could ask them.... He was very friendly, easy going, and made me feel very comfortable... The one thing that impressed me most is his constant contact with me in letting me know updates and the status of my order with Colonial Van Lines... Even though I had to cancel my move order, he was still there keeping me posted, even during the refund period... And I have to say the Staff that I talked with, during the cancellation process, was as nice, helpful, and pleasant as anyone could ask for.... Yes I would recommend Colonial Van Lines, without question.

Carl,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your estimate with Tom. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyDamage

Reviewed Sept. 24, 2022

My wife called a couple of different places and got a couple of quotes. One of the deciding factors was that I had a gun safe full of guns that I could not transport myself. It’s too heavy. Colonial agreed to transport it on the truck to get it across country, where the other company that we called didn't want anything to do with it. Colonial gave us a good quote and my wife was happy with the guy that she talked to. Two guys showed up and loaded our whole house up into a truck in one day. It went pretty well. The productivity was great. Those guys went at it hard all day long. The only real concern I had with the whole move was that somewhere along the line they had to switch trucks, which means they had to unload that truck and then load it on to another truck. Between all the handling, some of the stuff got kinda crushed and scratched.

Don,

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 23, 2022

From the start, Colonial Van Lines was either dishonest or incompetent. I provided them with both pickup and delivery addresses, but they were unprepared for whether the truck would be able to get there. Their lack of preparation meant that the move took much longer & cost me much more than quoted. My understanding was that there would be a person assigned to my move to help & answer my questions. when I last spoke with that person before the scheduled pick-up time, she said the driver was an hour & a half away. I waited 4 hours past the time the truck should have been here & couldn't reach ANYONE to find out what was going on. The truck didn't arrive on that day at all. Spoke with the driver the next morning & he explained why he didn't make it here. No one had informed me of what was going on. (After that, I did get the driver's number so that I had direct contact). Then, a shuttle was needed & had not been arranged.

When it came time for delivery, the truck was to arrive Wednesday morning. I waited & waited & then called the driver to find they were trying to decide if the truck would be able to come down my street. The determination is that it wouldn't so needed to get a shuttle truck. Again, it had not been arranged. Because of that, once more the office contacted me for more money. Basically they would hold my household goods hostage until I gave them more money. The truck (small) didn't arrive until the end of the day. The 2 drivers had hired 2 local crew & the 4 of them got busy unloading. When that was done, it was late & they said they would come back in the morning to finish.

Thursday, they arrived with the shuttle truck, but without the extra 2 person crew. So it took longer for the 2 drivers to offload the truck. Then they got word that the shuttle truck was due back. So they had to return that & get another, which meant that by the time they got that unloaded it was quite late & THEY WEREN'T YET FINISHED. Friday, the 2 came back with one more small truck with the last of my things. Delivery took 4 trips in 3 days. I needed the Thursday & Friday to arrange utilities & get the house ready for family, but wasn't able to because of the long waits for delivery to be completed.

Because I had voiced complaints, their 'fixer' contacted me for a resolution that would cause me to change my review to 5 stars. Donna offered me $400 to that end. I thought $400 refunded from an over $15,000 bill to be insufficient especially since nothing was ever mentioned about improving their service so that this didn't happen to anyone else. I refused the bribe. The whole move was a huge pain. I suggest that you DO NOT USE COLONIAL VAN LINES!!

Barbara,