Margate, FL

4.1/5 (239 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Apparently this company has no trucks. Since the 10th and it is now the 19th their truck has been broken and they still have no alternative or expectation of delivery in the near future. There is a reasonable expectation that they would deliver within the parameters of the contract, which they have not, or at least close to it. They asked if I expect more than $30 compensation. There is no manager available to speak to and no answers. I have asked at least 4 times and am told no request is in my file. Picking up of my things was not smooth either with changes every few hours for 3 days. Finally only a driver showed up with no help. He finally got some help and then left because he forgot something.

The explanation I was give for what would be blanket wrapped, including lamps, turned out to be false. I had to put lamps in boxes and the mirror and curio cabinet were not blanket wrapped but the they charged me to box them. Now my home goods sit held hostage because they can’t figure out how to make the delivery.

Funny, I heard Penske and I haul rent trucks and there must be a driver doing nothing if the truck is broken. Rent a truck if yours is broken and the only one. Make two trips if you have to. It is called the cost of doing business and customer service. We won’t even speak about the times I was put perpetually on hold or hung up on. I make no recommendation for this company as it is currently operating as a less than viable option for moving.

Cheryl,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Provided me a binding quote (their term not mine) for an out-of-state move. When it came time for delivery the driver tried to shake me down for extra fees. He refused to park where other similar sized moving trucks had pulled into my neighborhood. Instead he parked further away and charged an upcharge for distance. Then charged an upcharge for time since I hadn't received and therefor hadn't paid this new invoice for his added distance fee.

While I was on the phone with customer service the driver left (customer service spoke with the driver and asked him to stay but he left anyway -- said they weren't his boss) and charged me another no-delivery/re-return fee. Customer service was friendly enough and tried reduce some of the charges, but the driver controls when he will/will not work and controls the shakedown for more money before he starts anything with the delivery. Will not use again. Cannot recommend strongly enough that you avoid using them.

Jay,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

We had a very good experience with Colonial. The rep I worked with was very good at organizing what needed to be done on my side, helping me with the decisions. Colonial did everything that they promised. The people that physically did our move were really good people. They're not just good workers. They were the kind of people that you would want to deal with. Colonial all the way along kept in contact with me. They called me to make sure that I was on the mark for the actual moving date, whether or not I had more boxes than I anticipated. They increased the size of my order, which made me hesitant, but ultimately, it meant that I was paying less per pound. So everything worked out. They anticipated my size very accurately by my descriptions from their questions.

We arrived Thursday night. We called. They said, "We can't deliver till Tuesday." The reason why is that they usually deliver with two men to offload. I asked if they could still deliver on Friday 'cause we had a short window that we were going to be there for. In that one request, the driver said he would deliver our order 'cause it was a small enough order. It was 3,000 pounds and we had no furniture. He said he would deliver it himself. It took him a lot longer by himself, but he delivered it on Friday instead of on Monday or Tuesday when he would have the second gentleman to help him. I couldn't have asked for a better move.

Marvin,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The salesperson was very helpful, knowledgeable, and open. Also, there was good email communication, good reminders, and the driver was outstanding. He was very organized, on time, and professional.

Tonya,

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

It went very well with Colonial. The only thing that threw a monkey wrench into things was at the very last minute, they switched us over to a third party carrier because none of their employees could make the trip from New York down to South Carolina. But it all turned out very well because the third party was very good. We were very happy with them.

Ken,

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Colonial's rep showed up on time and guided me towards what they were gonna do. However, I didn't know they were gonna take 2 days. The first day, they would come and pack everything. The next day, they would load on the truck. The first team that loaded was good overall. They packed everything quickly. I already had everything separated, so it was a lot easier and quicker for them to pack everything up. I still have a couple boxes I haven’t opened but everything was good. The coordinator coordinated well. The crews came a little bit after. But he was there and gave me a heads-up.

Veronica,

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

My move was completed on time. But I have a big issue. One of my dining tables was broken. I filed a claim, but I have not received any payment. Plus, I paid $60 extra. That also has not been refunded to me yet. Other than that, there was no other issue.

Kamal,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I noted the account and have advised claims to follow up, we do apologize for the delay. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

I have used Colonial before and I had no problems or issues. But now that I have emptied the storage unit, lots of glass antiques were broken, and I'm just very frustrated and upset about it. But the people who picked it up were fine. They wrapped everything quite well. Except, they put some smaller boxes that I had bought into bigger wardrobe boxes, which were not labeled as fragile as the boxes that were inside were. Because they told me to box it and label it if it was fragile, and I did. Then they put it inside a box where nobody could see that. They only labeled one when they put parts for the weight bench and it said parts on it.

Cheri,

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I would like to file reviews on Colonial Van Lines and their vendor BCM Moving (NJ), for unethical practices, inadequate and inefficient business practices, price gouging, non-communication and simply not keeping their word. I originally set up the move timeframe (as they indicated, they give a 3 day window for pickup) for July 19-21st.

The first person I spoke with was Nasheena- she sounded very confident in selling me the business, their effectiveness as a moving company and through her marketing words- it sounded like this was a company that would be honorable to handle my move. I informed her I had a 1 bedroom (because I was getting rid of several things) and so all of my things would be in the living room except for my bedroom. I also let her know that I would pack my things and she indicated that the movers would pack my larger items. She asked me specific questions around inventory and I answered, which brought us to an agreement that my move would be under the 3000 pounds. The estimate I was given on July 5th was: $4627.54. Of that amount I paid the deposit: $1716.13.

From this point I followed Nashena M. guidance and awaited the call for when they would confirm actual pickup. From the 3 day window she shared I would get a call 24-48 hours ahead of time. And so July 15th, 16th and 17th arrived and I HEARD NOTHING. I CALLED THEM on July 16th and July 18th and was able to confirm the pickup would be on July 19th, 8 am -12 pm ET. I informed Nashena M. prior that I had to secure parking spaces and that it would be important for them to be on time.

By this point I was assigned a move coordinator: Faith **. Faith indicated, and confirmed the time and indicated I should be good to go. The day of July 19th- Prior I had secured the parking spaces and waited outside for the movers. Note: I found out later on that Colonial Van Lines uses a third party vendor (BCM Relocation- NJ)to pick up your stuff. This was not shared by Nashena. Continuing… On July 19th, I never received a call from dispatch, nor anyone as I waited for an 1.5hr. I called Colonial (several times) before getting a hold of someone and they proceeded to tell me ”They are on their way.” I waited another 30 minutes and called again and the same representative proceeded to tell me that the dispatch has said “They are close.” I waited more time and called again only to be told by Faith Wheldon that my move date has now shifted to July 21st.

This caused me to shift my move out time, I had to re-secure parking spaces? ($50), building elevator and I had to shift my flight to EOW on July 22nd ($200+) when my plan was to be out of NJ on July 21st. I also had to let the property management company know that I was now moving out at a different time than I originally shared.

Next, I shared with Faith ** all of the above and we came to the agreement that the original estimate would be adjusted ($4627.54) as a result of this inconvenience. She indicated she would be talking with the Finance department and she would have a manager contact me. Prior to hanging up from that specific call, I asked her to send me an account of the day's events for my records and an email confirming what we agreed upon in terms of a reduction in price. Even as I write a complaint, NO manager has contacted me, text, no left a voicemail and Faith never SENT A DETAILED email of what we agreed upon.

Next, July 21st arrives. I didn’t receive a call from dispatch nor did I receive a call from the movers. I called BCM who picked up as they were 1.75 hours later. I waited almost 2 hours outside holding parking spaces, the elevator and reminded them they were supposed to be there 2 hours earlier. Then the movers proceed to tell me they have to repack my items and then added an additional $351.00 to my estimate. I was also told that the inventory did not match even though my stuff still was not equivalent to a full 1 bedroom. They then proceeded to tell me that the new estimated weight would be 4000 pounds even though nothing had been weighed and they drove the estimate up to $8625.24. This is almost double my estimate but I do not have double the stuff. Note:

This amount I will not be paying. The movers from BCM told me I would need to pay $2000, even though Faith ** and Nashena told me that the remaining original balance would be paid upon delivery of my items. That original left over amount since I had paid the deposit and now had paid the $1500 to BCM ( their Vendor) is now $1411.14.

Note: Before I paid the $1.5k I had BCM and Faith ** from Colonial speak with one another as neither party seemed to know the process and in fact were also disputing if anything was owed the day of pickup. Nonetheless I paid $1.5k the day of pickup, now leaving $1411.41 of the original estimate left to pay. I also disputed the new estimated amount listed above ($8625.24) and was told in order for them to actually leave with my pick-up I had to sign their paperwork. I signed the paperwork and included a note on the paperwork that “this was not the agreed upon amount, nor did it reflect a discounted amount per my discussion with Faith when the inconsistencies began.”

When their vendor BCM left on Thursday, July 21st– I have never received a follow-up, no call or communication from Faith, BCM or dispatch aka Colonial Van Lines. In fact, I contacted them on July 27th. Faith Wheldon was not available to speak nor was a manager. But I did speak with a CS Agent who claimed to be a manager, had a rude disposition and was hosting a side conversation about her kids. I was told by this agent (Kiana) that the drop off window (July 22nd - August 1st) was no longer the drop off window and my stuff was still sitting in NJ. The new window she quoted was August 3- 6th. She then indicated she would also make a note to have a manager and Faith call me, but again as I write this complaint no one has contacted me.

Please, I need help to secure my things from Colonial Van Lines and BCM Relocation: At the original estimate($4627.54) minus the reduction. For the correct paperwork to arrive with the original estimate amount and the reduction. To not be charge post drop off. For my items to be put back together as agreed upon. For my items to arrive intact as they were picked up. For my items to arrive prior to August 6th. A Call from management with a hard copy email with the agreed upon resolution to all of these inconsistencies and practices. For Colonial Van Lines and BCM to come to their own agreement prior to arriving at my address in GA. Before escalating this further to other entities, I would like these resolutions and for the company to take this time to review and resolve immediately.

Update: Week of August 1st. I spoke with Elsi (a CS agent) who was trying to assist me, but unfortunately her attempts have fallen short. She reached out to the Financial department for James– he has not called me back. She also shared that the supervisor Stephanie Little should give me a call– that has not happened either. I also STILL do not know about the paperwork and STILL I DO NOT KNOW WHERE MY STUFF IS. Elsi contacted dispatch on her end and they told her my things were in route.

On August 5th I called and Faith ** picked up. She never indicated why she hasn’t called over the last few weeks, nor why a manager STILL has not called over these past 3 weeks. She indicated she didn't know where my things were and that BCM was still the provider they were using. Once again she said the Finance department would be reaching out but it’s the same templated response I’ve gotten from her over the past 3- 4 weeks. At this point, it sounds like a lie. She indicated she would give me a call back today after 4 pm with an ETA on my things since the 2nd delivery window (since they missed the first window) closes tomorrow. She also indicated she couldn’t see the paperwork in the system which is odd considering my things were picked up on July 21st and BCM would have sent the paperwork. More lies and problematic business practices. And I keep getting the runaround. I’ve called 20 times.

I followed up at 4 pm per Faith’s request– she indicated that the “driver” per her dispatch discussion was out. I then asked why not request a new driver. She tells me nothing and continues to pawn off responsibility. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. She proceeds to tell me again that she put in a request to have someone call me. And this is beginning to feel like theft and fraud. WHERE IS MY STUFF?!!!

Lindiwe,

We do apologize for the inconvenience, the resolutions manager has been notified and will contact you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I got some estimates from Colonial and they seemed to be very reasonable. We moved from New Jersey to Texas. Everything was fantastic. We had to update our weight and they communicated very well on that. Everything just went fine. It aksi arrived just the same way it left. I would definitely recommend Colonial.

Tommy,

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Colonial's price seemed acceptable. My experience with their rep was positive and informative. I knew what was happening and when. The only real complaint I had was that I assumed it was going to be a same-day move but it wasn't. I had everything ready to go. A single driver showed up. He packed my apartment in Summerville, South Carolina on his truck in about an hour, including a very heavy glass desk. Then he met me here in Augusta, Georgia five days later. Again, he unpacked it all himself in about an hour. It was impressive.

Scott,

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I was impressed with Colonial. I was very nervous about hiring a moving company because you hear all these horror stories. But this was absolutely not the case for me. Colonial did a good job. They were reasonable on their prices too. I had kind of a unique situation. I found a place to rent, but I couldn't move in until August. They didn't move my belongings for a month. They were very understanding and more than willing to get that set up. It turned out the place had been vacated two weeks earlier than previously expected. I was anxious to get in there. I asked them if there was any way I could move up my moving date. The rep told me he'd check with their logistics. He called me back within the hour and said they could get to me as early as the next week.

Emlyn,

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

It was wonderful with Colonial. I would recommend them to everybody. My driver and crew, both in Arizona and in Wisconsin, were fantastic. Nothing got damaged. I was thrilled. The only negative I have towards the whole experience was I was trying to arrange airline tickets and other things around the move and I wasn't sure which day it would be. There was a window of three days. I had to find a place to stay after they picked up. I had to get my tickets afterwards 'cause I wasn't sure when they were coming. If somebody could have just said they were going to be there Monday or Tuesday, not Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, that would have helped.

Mary,

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I would recommend Colonial. They were very attentive and responsive. They were able to follow up with me quickly. They were very organized as well. They were able to provide regular text messages or phone calls to let me know the status and how soon they would be arriving. Colonial was higher than some of the other providers, but I liked that I was updated regularly.

Kenya,

Original review: July 31, 2022

My experience with the rep was well. The trucker was good.

Frances,

Original review: July 30, 2022

Colonial Van Lines was amazing and they're reasonably priced. I had some concerns regarding weight and a change in what our weight would be and what our charges would be, and they were able to get me a quick response. On the moving day, the movers showed up at the house. Colonial subcontracts through another company but they were coordinating with that company. The movers assessed everything that needed to be moved, tagged them and inventoried them. Then they gave me a brief overview of what they thought the weight was going to be based off their experience. Anything that was loose, they consolidated for me to try to get the item listed down.

The driver of the truck picked up some workers to deliver and bring the stuff into the house. They didn't appear qualified. They were ambitious and motivated but they were very young and underweight for moving the furniture that we had into the house. I had to help them. I let Colonial know and they said they were going to speak with the driver. Other than that, the service was good. 99.9% of our stuff arrived unscathed.

Jamie,

Original review: July 29, 2022

When they dropped my stuff, I wasn’t here and when we checked our stuff, there were a couple of pieces of furniture that were broken. We've noticed that two of the pieces of furniture are wobbling. But everything else was fine. Our moving coordinator was Joseph and he was good.

Reynaldo,

Original review: July 28, 2022

They responded promptly and the original price they quoted was okay. If I have to do it again, I would contact them again. The sub-company that they used was also wonderful. They came when they said they were going to come and were very professional.

Andrea,

Original review: July 24, 2022

We were very pleased with Colonial. They were very good about continuous responses to our questions and reaching out to us, keeping in touch with every detail. It was over Memorial Day weekend and they were there for us. The movers were wonderful. My son had a lot of dorm stuff, and they handled everything as if he had Louis XIV furniture. It was obvious they were a very professional company. They were so on time with everything. When they said they were going to be at the house on this day and time, they were here exactly at that time. My son in California had to leave work to meet the movers and they were so good about it. They called him exactly when they were going to arrive and they were there exactly at that time.

Sheryl,

Original review: July 18, 2022

Colonial was less upfront about the cost than I would have preferred. The upfront cost was so much different than the final cost. Some of the communications, like as to how many boxes and the size of the boxes weren't quite clear. So, it ended up costing quite a bit more than I had budgeted for. But the reps were all fantastic and very nice. The crew that came out were very friendly and quite efficient. It took about eight hours to get everything packed up so it was a lengthy amount of time. There was a lot of running in and out but everything was packed up smoothly. I'm impressed by how efficiently they were able to get all the furniture wrapped. They had packed even a few more things that probably didn't need to get packed quite that extreme. But they were just careful. So, it's fine.

Andrea,

Resolution response: Aug. 25, 2022

I am updating my review to 4 stars due to a conversation I had with Donna with Colonial Van Lines. Now everything I wrote in my review was honest and actually happened. It wasn't until I posted my experience on the Consumer Affairs website that I got a phone call from Donna saying that if she could help financially, would I change the number of stars I gave. Colonial Van Lines lost hundreds of dollars of worth of clothing and broke several things, so Donna said she felt reasonably sure she could get me $300.

After a few days, she called back and said they would only give me $200. Now mind you, it was THEY who contacted me, not the other way around, and then they want to nickel and dime me. They do not care about the happiness of their customers, they just do not like having 1-star reviews. If they cared, they would have fixed my issues right away, not waited for me to write a review. I will say Donna was the most responsive and professional person I spoke with and I do appreciate her getting me some of my money back. I would give her 5 stars for her attempts.

Original review: July 17, 2022

I can’t emphasize this enough, if you value your belongings and your time, find a different company. From start to finish my experience with Colonial Van Lines was a nightmare. No one ever return calls or emails. I tried for weeks to make changes to my inventory through three different people and not one ever got back to me. The date of my move was pushed back and when they finally showed up, there was no crew, so we had to wait for another one to show up. When they finally did, which should have been a two hour job lasted almost 6 hours. The buyers for my home were irate because they could not get in to clean.

The driver was extremely unprofessional. He broke wind and bragged about it in front of me, my daughter and my realtor. He simply walked around the house saying he didn’t want to work and wanted to sleep. Once they were done I registered a complaint which was probably a mistake, because when my items were finally brought from Florida to New York, there was a lot of damage and the majority of my clothing was “lost“. For all the damage they did and for literally $700 alone in clothing that was lost , I got $153. They base it on weight. Sure you do have the option of buying additional insurance, however it was going to be an additional $1500 and the driver talked me out of getting it.

When my items finally arrived in New York, the same driver walked into my house and almost broke several items. When I asked him to be careful, he said I was lucky I even got my stuff because of my complaint. The crew unloading the vehicle was pretty good. They unloaded in slightly less than two hours. And then the driver needed me to sign off on the delivery. He got up right in my face and burped. I was in shock. I of course contacted the supervisor and after his investigation all my aggravation was worth was a refund of $250.

I’m not going to even get into the individual items that were damaged. I understand that when you move with a company, you have to expect a certain amount of damage. What was done literally seem to be intentional. As I stated before, the thing that bothered me the most was the loss of my clothing. It was in a giant wardrobe box. It was not left at the house in Florida as I did two different walk-throughs. And it certainly did not arrive in New York , so either it was delivered to someone else or the driver stole it. I guess we’ll never know.

I thought I was doing the right thing going with Colonial Van Lines, but I was so wrong. I will leave you with this, if there are red flags before you even start your move, put a stop to it right then and there and get a refund. It should not be this difficult and the unprofessional nature from both the driver and the people in the call center really should have tipped me off.

Richard,

Original review: July 17, 2022

Colonial was absolutely wonderful. I had a little issue with the person that was overseeing my account towards the end. But she was wonderful at the beginning, getting it lined up, and communicating with me. I had to fly from Virginia to California to meet the drivers, to move my stuff from California back to Virginia. When it was being delivered here, things were not being communicated to me. I couldn't reach her and I was frustrated. But the movers in California, the driver, and the team we had were the best I've ever seen. They worked with me.

Jennifer,

Original review: July 16, 2022

I needed somebody to go from Jersey to Texas. I called them up and had pleasant conversations with them. We were doing this in 2021 and all of a sudden, everybody got sick and it was with the COVID crap going on. So, we postponed the trip and they kept my deposit, which was fine. It was a pleasant move. They were very thorough, quick, and professional. The guy, Chris, that drove the truck was here a day earlier than he was supposed to be here, which made me very happy at the drop-off site. They only broke a few things like the patio table and three of my stemware. Other than that, it was great.

Kathy,

Resolution response: Aug. 7, 2022

Donna had done an excellent job resolving my issues in a very professional manner. She is a asset to Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: July 16, 2022

We were moving to FL from NY and hired Colonial Van Lines. The worst mistake ever. As we approached our moving date, we had to call them repeatedly confirm that they were going to be there. They broke granite tops, stole an 8' extension ladder and offered us .60 cents per pound. I would never recommend them to anyone ever!!!!

William,

Original review: July 15, 2022

The gentleman who moved my stuff knew what he was doing and was very good. He got it there at Wilmington in a timely manner. My sister was there to meet him and put it in the storage unit. He did a fabulous job. The customer service was amazing, which was why I went with Colonial. The people I talked to treated me with respect and I was very impressed. I had a great experience with Colonial Van Lines.

Shelly,

Original review: July 14, 2022

Colonial did a really nice job of being competitive on pricing. They were good with the schedule. They locked down a date that worked for me, and a timeline to get from the West Coast to the East Coast that was very efficient and good. We had a two-day packing approach where they came in the first day and packed up all my kitchen and then disassembled all my furniture. That took about eight hours. The second day, they loaded up the van and that took about six hours. They set my expectations about how long it would take and they met them.

Not only did they do a good job packing, but when we got to Florida, they got it all unpacked and set up in a day. We've yet to find anything that was broken. Everything was taken care of and well-packed. I’m happy with the whole experience. The only part that was not perfect was it took them a little bit of time to let us know exactly when our furniture would arrive here in Florida. They gave us a window of about two weeks, and then gradually tightened it down. But since we had to fly from California to Florida, having it earlier would have been a little easier. But that was a minor thing.

Carl,

Original review: July 13, 2022

They were very careful with my things. I've done a big move before and some things came damaged. But this time with Colonial, I didn't have any problems with that.

Shelley

Original review: July 12, 2022

Colonial provided a quote and they stayed in touch. The crew was good. They packed, loaded, delivered and unloaded in one day. They were pleasant and efficient.

John

Original review: July 11, 2022

Colonial had the best price. The rep I worked with seemed to know what he was talking about and was very helpful. Everything was good during the move. The driver did a great job. I’d definitely use them again.

David,

Original review: July 10, 2022

When I called Colonial, they were available. That very day, we walked through the entire house virtually, set it up, got it scheduled and we were ready to go. Everything went perfectly. There was nothing that disappointed me. Everybody worked very well that were here. If anything, they probably could have had a couple more people. But they worked their butts off packing and loading. When they came to my new residence, they opened up. I haven't found anything that I'm missing and nothing seemed broken. Everything was fine.

Bob,