Margate, FL

4.3/5 (274 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: June 3, 2022

Colonial's subcontractor was a little rushed. He tried to do all the packing and loading in one day. He was early on his estimated date of delivery because he wanted to get done with things and the folks that were receiving were rather surprised by that. He didn't bring enough help to pack was the big thing. We made sure he had more folks at the delivery end to unload. But they dropped one shelving unit and broke it in half. The communication was alright other than what Colonial's folks in the office said and what he said weren't the same.

Original review: June 2, 2022

All of the members, especially the supervisor with the group who was relatively young, were very efficient. They knew what their job was. I didn't have to hover or tell them things more than once. They were personable too. They packed the things that were not packed very securely. They were like a well-oiled machine. Everything was explained in plain English and there was no bait-and-switch.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2022

Colonial Van Lines was the most competitive and could get us what we wanted for less than other people could. We got most of our stuff delivered from Chicago to San Francisco, but we lost two items along the way. Since they were working with a contractor to deliver items and move everything for us, it was confusing figuring out who was responsible for what, in terms of communication and payment.

The staff was friendly at Colonial compared to the contractor that they hired. However, I didn't quite understand their credit card policy. Our credit card company allows us to create virtual credit cards which are still linked to our real account. We could make a credit card that is used for a one-time payment so we're not overcharged for the services that they quoted us. But they weren't willing to take the one-time use credit card, which doesn't make sense to me. Why would I need to be charged more than once as we agreed upon a set price? The contractor that they used ended up splitting the payment. We paid the first half with Colonial and the second half of the amount with Cal Van Lines, the contractor. Cal Van Lines wanted us to fill out our credit card information on a PDF, which was a little unprofessional. What if someone hacks the company and all of our credit card information is suddenly available?

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 31, 2022

Colonial offered me the best rate and the timing that worked for me. They came in at the cost they said to and within the time frame of what they said they were going to. They had a local crew there in Boise who did a good job.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 30, 2022

The gentleman with Colonial that I talked to, Louis, was very thorough and gave me exactly what they were going to do, whereas the other gentleman I talked to didn't give me that information. Louis told me who would be calling and when they would be calling. He set my expectations, which I liked. The moving crew was late but they were very efficient. They did everything I asked and worked continuously. I was exhausted watching them. It totally amazed me what they put in their truck. They also cleaned up after themselves.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 29, 2022

The rep with Colonial was very attentive. The communication was wonderful through the whole experience. He was constantly sending emails to update us. I had to cancel two or three different times but they were very good at letting me adjust then keeping in touch with me about all the steps. The other guy was good at calling and coordinating about when they were going to be there. My husband had bubble wrapped everything and they rewrapped a lot of stuff. They got it all on a 26-foot truck and delivered them to my brother's garage.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 28, 2022

Colonial was the quickest to respond to our initial request. They came back and helped schedule the time. They were very upfront about the costs. They were helpful and walked us through exactly what we were looking for. What could have been improved was the coordination from the dispatch team. I got a couple of calls a couple different times from two or three different people that knew what was going on, but needed to talk to somebody else. They were always in the ballpark. More information is better than none at all but still didn't quite know who was coordinating anyone. But the guys showed up when they told us they were going to show up. They did a great job packing up and dropping off our belongings to the new place. They were delicate with our belongings too.

The cost was cheaper than we thought it was. When we budgeted from a weight perspective, it was a little less than when they put it on the scale. The quoting process that the team did was accurate enough that we didn't have a nasty surprise. It actually was a pleasant surprise. It's always the better one to get. If we ever plan on moving again, we would happily use Colonial.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 27, 2022

We liked that Colonial Van Lines was national and they and seemed more reliable. However, there were some complications in getting it set up. Initially, we had a window of the 17th to the 19th. We needed to be out of our place by the 20th and we were told that it was going to delay until at least the 20th. Then there were a few days where it seemed to go back and forth. They were able to pick us up before we needed to be moved out but that was a surprising part of the process. Also, Colonial was one of the more expensive ones that we looked at. Ours ended up being right at the minimum in terms of the amount of stuff we had. That was not as cost-effective as if we had gone with some others. But the quotes that we got appeared to be very reliable. It ended up what we were told we'd be charged and what we were charged in the end corresponded as well.

It seemed there were supposed to have been more than one person originally who had been assigned for the unloading at the end of the trip, and it ended up being just one person. On the loading side, there were three or four. The person who unloaded did well and it was done in as reasonable amount of time as could be expected but they needed a little bit of help at some point. That was disappointing that we had to jump in and help. It wasn't their fault but we paid for the service so that we wouldn't have to do as much of that and ended up having to do it for some of the very large, heavy things.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 26, 2022

Colonial Van Lines was the most reasonable. They were very detailed and knowledgeable. The movers who delivered the furniture went above and beyond for us. They were extremely nice gentlemen.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 25, 2022

Colonial was efficient. The only thing was since we're in North Carolina, we couldn't go and count all the inventory ourselves. Their quote ended up being low compared to what we ended up paying. But they weighed it twice and it makes sense.

Original review: May 22, 2022

Slow truck to Seattle - Out contract with Colonial states that our furnishings would arrive at our new home in Seattle no later than May 11th, after being picked up in Florida on April 22nd. It is now May 22nd, and we have just been told, AGAIN, that delivery will be delayed, and might arrive by May 27th. That is five weeks! It takes four days for a moving van to legally drive across America, obeying all the safety hours and rules. So why is it taking five weeks to get here?

It is distressing to be told five times that our household goods will arrive on a certain, but delayed date, only to repeatedly be later told that there is yet another delay, for yet another reason. We have had to adjust ad reschedule numerous times because Colonial told us a delivery date that turned out to be wrong. I have no idea how much time we have had to waste because of Colonial's scheduling errors. Meanwhile it is costing us thousands because a Colonial contracted hauler has equipment failures and other reasons for weeks of delay.

It was my mistake to believe Colonial salespeople. They appear to in effect be just another broker, at least for our moving. I have seen no Colonial truck and am informed that the company with all the equipment problems is not a Colonial van. I strongly recommend finding a more reliable mover.

Good morning Gene ,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Resolution response: July 30, 2022

The dispute with Colonial was resolved. They refunded the extra charges. We're all good.

Original review: May 22, 2022

Colonial Van Lines must be one of the worse moving companies in the business. On March 30th 2022, I moved from California to Florida. The Colonial salesperson, Colin ** was not friendly. He was impatient and annoyed if I asked any questions. I gave him an accurate list of all the items to be moved, then he promised "one price all-inclusive" for $9500. Read on for the big surprise! When the truck arrived, the driver thought it was a local move instead of an out of state move. He only brought two packers (the company promised four). He asked me to lie about it. He said: “If Colonial calls tell them we have four packers”… What? This guy was skimming. And they didn't have enough boxes. I had to go to Home Depot to buy more of my own boxes! It took them over one hour to call the office and get the right details about the job. Given only two men, the packing lasted 12 hours for a two-bedroom house.

The packing was sloppy and frail. They ended up breaking expensive art, furniture, broken glass tops, dented the refrigerator and lost several items as well. Over $10,000 in damages. AFTER the loading was done at 9:00 PM, the supervisor/driver (Chris) showed me a paper I could not read with all the items they loaded on the truck. The print was very small. His writing was illegible. I signed it. I had no choice. Turns out later, he logged 117 items that were not on my original list. It’s a joke right? He also logged 1100 pounds more for the load. I only added an electric piano to the list which was about 150lb. Later the finance department called me with an additional charge of $4200. Totally bogus. I had to pay it, or they would not unload the items.

It’s extortion. Additionally, some of the items were supposed to go in storage and did not. I was charged extra for a "two drops" job. They ended up unloading those items that were supposed to go in storage at my house and later I had to pay an additional $750 to a different company to move those items to my warehouse. In final, false estimate, broken, promises, broken items, and extra illegitimate charges. I called customer service and this guy Matt would not take any responsibility other than sending me a claim form. “Maybe” they will pay $.60 on the dollar for the broken items. I doubt it. He would not reimburse the illegitimate $4200 charge or pay to move the items that were dropped at my house instead of my warehouse. This is going to court. I recommend you call a different company.

Good morning Riccardo ,

Original review: May 21, 2022

Colonial's price was good compared to another quote that I received. I told them I would really appreciate it if the pick-up was on a Saturday because I work during the week. They said they would call me midweek and let me know what day it was going to be. As we got toward the middle of the week, I hadn't heard anything so I called and they told me it was going to be on Friday. I took off work and I went to the storage facility on Friday and they didn't show up. I called them and they said the truck broke down and they were going to be late. I asked how late and they said they would let me know.

The whole day went by and I didn't hear anything. They called me later in the day on Friday and told me that it was gonna be like Tuesday. I found out later that they had rerouted the load because they wanted to pick up another load from someone else. They didn't get to my storage place until Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. I was not at all happy with how the pick-up was scheduled and carried out. That aside, the rest of the process went really well. The couple who showed up here to make the delivery were very professional. The guy really knew how to pack a truck most efficiently and they worked well together as a team. On the whole, I was disappointed on the front end and I was satisfied on the back end.

Robert,

Original review: May 10, 2022

I had to move pretty quick. When I called Colonial Van Lines, they were able to do it whenever I wanted them to. The drivers and the guys that unloaded my stuff were also fantastic.

Roger,

Original review: May 9, 2022

It went fairly well with Colonial Van Lines. They called me and talked to me. That was a major difference. However, I was disappointed at the communication on the front end. I have glass-door cabinets and when I was talking to the sales rep, he said, “You just empty out those cabinets, and we will blanket-wrap the empty furniture." I had asked him specifically about that. Then I made a full list of all of my stuff and he gave me a quote. But when the moving truck showed up, they said, “This stuff's not packed. These glass doors require additional crating so, it's gonna be an extra $1,400.” He was saying he was not even gonna start loading until I make that decision. I wish that had been a little better communicated to me.

I had a couple of dishes that were broken but it was a good experience overall. Everything went very smoothly. They picked up and delivered on time. Colonial Van Lines is a good company. They have good contractors. The guys that moved my parts were professional and courteous. But make sure that you fully understand what is the expected cost upfront so you don't have any surprises.

James,

Original review: May 8, 2022

My complaint with Colonial was that, from an administrative standpoint, I got a ton of emails. Every time I got one, it had a name on it and it said they'd be following up. But then somebody different would be the follow-up person. It was very hard to know who was really my contact person and that was frustrating for me. I started with a guy, Kirk, whose customer service skills were great. He said he was gonna be my account manager, that he'd follow me through the whole process, and that he and his team will take good care of me. But he didn't say I was gonna hear from other people. Other than that, the movers were fantastic. They kept in touch with me and told me where they were and when they'd be here. Also, nothing was damaged or broken and they were very prompt in delivering at my new residence. They were excellent at doing their job and I was very happy with the service I got from them.

Barbara,

Original review: May 7, 2022

Colonial had lower initial appraisal and bid. If the estimate was low, their overrun pricing was lower than others in terms of cost per pound, cost per box, etcetera. The move was from Nashville to Jacksonville. I paid for packing, loading and unloading with furniture disassembly and reassembly. My company gave me about two weeks before I had to be from Nashville to my new job. I ended up driving down to the new job in Jacksonville with my pickup truck then I had to fly back to Nashville to meet the movers.

The pickup went great. The crew was there a little early and it took them a little bit longer because I had a significant amount more than the initial estimate. I anticipated this because even though I was in a one-bedroom, I downsized from a larger unit before when I moved to Nashville. The drop-off went well even though they were a little late. That was not their fault as there was horrible traffic and some severe weather that day. They got the things unloaded promptly once they got there and they got the furniture placed in the right rooms and assembled. On the whole, everything was great. Colonial was the most positive part of the moving process.

Matthew,

Original review: May 6, 2022

We got a couple of quotes from different companies and chose Colonial ultimately because of the price and because they were really responsive. One moving guy was sent out so I helped him because I felt bad. He was great and he said that the person who was supposed to come out with him flaked out. The only thing about this experience was there were a lot of delays. Our stuff was put in their storage facility in California for a couple of weeks. The driver mentioned it was going to be four and a half days to get them there because they were waiting on other movers. They missed their estimated time by over a week. But along the way, the representative kept us updated so that was good. It was just unfortunate because we were sleeping on an air mattress waiting for all of our stuff. In the end, everything made it nicely and safely to the destination. There was a slight difference between the initial quote and the ending bill but it wasn't major.

Sasha/Tymn

Original review: May 1, 2022

The rep I worked with from Colonial Van Lines was in touch frequently. She returned my phone calls, which is a 100% improvement over the first company we had selected. She did a really good job. We wanted to be able to know what was going on and she was on the ball with it. We were also super lucky because they had given us a range of delivery. They told us they had a two week window to deliver. We were hoping it wouldn't be two weeks because we would be camping out with nothing in our new home. We moved in on a Tuesday and they came on a Sunday the same week. The drivers on both ends were excellent, very professional, and did inventory on both sides, every single box and piece of furniture. They did a great job. We were really happy.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: April 30, 2022

Working with Colonial Van Lines was professional and clean. The reps were all very nice. The woman who is in sales was above and beyond nice on the phone when I was getting quotes. The quote switched a couple of times. There was a slight difference, but I forgot to mention I have guitars. Just a couple of extra things they needed to pack up. It was not a big deal. It was $100 difference.

The moving company sent me a mock paperwork beforehand. But the guy that seemed to be the moving leader was kind and explained everything as we wrote it down, even though I had time to prepare to know what I would look at. He was very knowledgeable. He spoke English very well, Serbian and Spanish. It’s insane. He's a smart dude.

Adam,

Original review: April 29, 2022

The Colonial Van Lines rep was very thorough and I had a good experience. However, there was a less poundage allotment that was given, for example, for a wardrobe. I was very thorough with inventory. And the other thing that I had a hard time with was, I packed up everything in our apartment, except for the kitchen, and I could not control the amount of materials that they used to pack up the kitchen. They were very thorough, but I would have preferred a couple of broken dishes than to pay $750 in packing fees. So, I wish that had been more of a communication rather than, “Thank you so much helping me pack my kitchen, but didn't wanna pay that amount.”

One pain point, as someone who works full-time and works from home, I was told I would get 48 hours notice when they were dropping off the goods, and I got a call about a half an hour before and had to race home. But they were extremely nice, very understanding, and communicative. They were also great at putting furniture back together, which was a huge plus.

Shannon,

Original review: April 27, 2022

It went, overall, well, but there were a lot of hidden fees, which were far beyond what was quoted. The movers claimed they still had to pack and box stuff. It was almost $100 per box and it just accumulated. The prices increased from the time of my original quote. I was also not aware that Colonial Van Lines has a third party, so from pickup to drop off, there was another company with the truck and the moving labor. The communication outside of that was strong though.

Gina,

Our team would like to thank you for the effort made in sharing your experience with the public. As household movers, we appreciate the opportunity to have played a role in your relocation and we wish you all the best in your new location.

Original review: April 26, 2022

This is the second time that I have used Colonial Van Lines. Last time, the experience was not so good because of the delay. But this time, it was very good. The delivery was on schedule and I got my delivery without any hassle. So, the experience is very good. It's a 5-star.

Susobhon,

Original review: April 24, 2022

The moving company was very nice. Everything was packed during the pick-up and the staff just put them on the truck. Everything was fine and I was very satisfied with my experience.

Edward,

Original review: April 23, 2022

I did a move across state lines and Colonial had the best price that I could find. Everything was good and the quote they gave was pretty accurate. The people were very informative and the moving crew was very nice. Overall, they were very quick and friendly.

Paige,

Original review: April 22, 2022

I liked how quick Colonial could get the move done and their process of quotation. I had to move relatively quickly. I had a lot that was going on and I just needed somebody to handle the process for me. Colonial was able to do that. Two young men showed up early and they had a box truck. They were very professional. They were very careful with my things and they packed them very well. I moved from Texas to Oklahoma. They showed up the next day at my new house, unpacked everything, and put everything back. Nothing was broken and things went very smoothly. If I ever have to move again, I would use Colonial for sure.

Brent,

Original review: April 20, 2022

Nashena was very helpful from beginning to end as I planned my moving needs. She was very detailed in her help with pricing from my Inventory list, and followed up with me as my move date approached. She was extremely professional in each and every dealing we had. Clear and concise instructions were given. Although after months of rescheduling we decided to go a different direction; I would highly recommend having Nashena assist me again if I needed moving assistance.

Michelle,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: April 17, 2022

They were the most responsive. When I requested a quote, they got back to me within the hour and they quoted me a very good price. The rep was also very professional and helpful. I reached out a couple of times to add some more items to the list or with questions, and she got right back to me or, occasionally, a colleague of hers. They also moved everything in where I needed it.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: April 16, 2022

Colonial Van Lines was wonderful. They were on time, courteous and great to deal with. They loaded perfectly, in a very timely manner, and got on the road. We met them at the destination the following day and moving everything out was swift and smooth. I highly recommend them.

Eve

Original review: April 15, 2022

The rep was very helpful, efficient and made room for our stuff. He was very nice. The moving crew was also very nice, as well as welcoming and very respectful. We moved three rooms and their productivity was good.

Ericka