2. Movers

Margate, FL

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.21/5

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (6)
View More View More
Colonial Van Lines Call Now Toll Free (800) 338-9092 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 10, 2020

Everything came through in good order. Was kept well informed, and everyone was helpful and efficient. Loading was done efficiently, and as planned. Unloading was done on scheduled day and was properly taken care of. 50 plus paintings came through undamaged.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Everything was ok except movers weren’t wearing masks, timing wasn’t exactly on time and home office was a little disorganized. All in all the move went ok just a few broken items, seemed a little understaffed as it took more time than planned.

Original review: June 9, 2020

A friend of mine used Colonial Van Lines in Silver City, New Mexico. I used them as well for a 2,000-mile move. It was very far. The whole experience was really great and everything went smoothly and on time. I would highly recommend Colonial.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I found Colonial online and they gave me the best quote. The customer service when I was planning it was very good and very thorough. The movers themselves were good. However, there was some confusion during the actual move about what could kind of be packed. There wasn't a lot but just a few things on where they could go. But the representative I worked with while the move was happening was okay. The guy that I worked with before that actually booked everything was really great as well.

It was just a personality thing. The rep looked very quick on the phone and was really quickly trying to like figure out the solution before he even heard the whole issue. It was not that he wasn't nice, he completely was, but it was just kind of like that. The only other thing is maybe some of the stuff could have been packed a little bit better. But there was only one thing that got damaged so that was pretty good. Timeline-wise, it was perfect.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I moved about four hours away from my previous location to start a new job in Lakeland. Colonial got to me first and I worked with them. Their rep was very helpful and very coordinated. He told me what was going to happen and on the day of my move, there was a window. Colonial double and triple checked everything. They didn't give me an actual estimate until the day of my move and they moved everything that same day.

However, there was a bit of miscommunication during the actual move and I couldn't get a hold of my drivers. They would text me how far they were out and I would try to text them back. But then, the response would come saying that it wasn't the mover's number that I texted. Also, though I paid over the phone, the movers asked for a payment and somebody called me again later asking for a payment. They didn't realize that I had already paid off my whole balance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: June 6, 2020

I looked up moving companies. I had planned to go down to the Florida Keys myself to oversee the move, but then Corona happened and my husband’s health worsened. So, I needed some mover on short notice and Colonial Van Lines seemed to fit the bill. Everything from the move from the Keys to Batavia, Illinois went absolutely perfect. Then they helped again when some of that furniture was moved from Batavia to Eugene, Oregon. That move went well, except the one piece was broken. That’s just the way that goes. I’m not that great on the computer. I had to fill out something that was supposed to be sent by email. Because I’m not able to get together with family right now with the social distancing anyway, filing a claim for that broken piece didn’t happen.

Colonial could bother to walk people through these forms. They could send them snail mail if the person tells them that computer’s not going to work. There are options that they did not avail themselves. Because if that time ran out, then I’m screwed. Overall, the service was good and things went very well, but I would recommend Colonial with a caveat. Be very careful and make sure that you can handle whatever they throw at you.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I moved from California to New Jersey. Both teams in LA and Montclair, NJ were amazing. Went above and beyond, were kind and friendly. Their prices were reasonable and their attention to detail during every phase of my move was impressive. I appreciate all the departments and apologize for not remembering the names of the individuals that helped me in CA and NJ. Thank you. Thank you. I recommend Colonial highly!

Original review: June 4, 2020

I had three companies in mind and I chose Colonial over the other two. I read one or two ratings that said they had no problems with them. And that was what I wanted to know, that they could move us across three states and not have any problems. I talked with two or three different people and I had one person, in particular, to be in touch with the entire time. It was a pleasant experience. The young lady that called me on a regular basis called and talked with my daughter last week because my daughter had the authority to talk with them. She was here and we were in D.C.

The movers were on time and they moved quickly. Some things were not packed as well as I would have wanted them to be packed but they were all little items. We had lived in that particular area for about 30 years so there were a lot of stuff. The young men were extremely nice and polite. I had no problems with them. They were coming and going and were very careful. There was a knob on the front where they bumped something against that and broke that. I also only found maybe three or four broken items. But the young lady that I talked with previously already told me that I could file claims on that. I haven't done yet that because I haven't gone through the other boxes. I’ve got about five boxes to go through.

Generally, someone will come out and take a look at everything. That gives you an opportunity to walk from room to work with the person. This time, we didn't have that opportunity. That’s the only thing that I would have liked to have happened before the day of the move for me to show them what I had designated to leave behind or throw away instead of coming in early that day and packing up everything and leaving that afternoon and me not having an opportunity to do that. We’re seniors and there's the Corona. There were several things that were pushed to the side that I would not have packed had I had the opportunity to do that. The virus has control of everything right about now. Other than those, the overall experience was pleasant.

Original review: June 2, 2020

From start to finish we had anxiety about all this going to work. So we decided to go with a big company for peace of mind and found out that Colonial Van Lines is not no.1 and is not what they say they are and use the small flaky movers to move your precious moments. And not with the BBB or they have their own protected employees either. After losing our deposit with colonial and went with an independent moving contractor we moved.

Colonial Van Lines response

Kris,

I so apologize for the issues you've had with your move here. We in the Resolutions Department have been made aware of your issues and will be reaching out to you in the early afternoon today. If you'd like you can reach our Resolutions Manager Donna at her direct phone number 954.958.2253. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Resolution response: June 11, 2020

Thanks to Donna in the resolutions department, we were able to resolve our issue and hopefully future customers will benefit from changes.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Horrible company. DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT do business with these people. First of all they are NOT a moving company, they do not own and trucks or vans and do not do any moving, they contract out to other movers. Their customer service is horrible, when you actually do get in touch with someone or an account manager, they act as if you are bothering them.

We set up a move with them, and they changed the pickup date without calling us, we had to track them down, then when the driver was late, we couldn't get in touch with anyone at Colonial. Now, almost 10 days later, we still don't have our furniture, and again we had to track them down to find out that supposedly the company they contracted to can't deliver when they were supposed to because their truck broke down, even though they say they have other trucks, nothing has been done. We keep getting the run around, and nobody there seems to be able to do anything except make lame excuses. Again, DO NOT use this company for your move, believe all of the negative reviews online, avoid them like the plague.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information