2. Movers

Margate, FL

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.27/5

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (6)
Colonial Van Lines Call Now Toll Free (800) 338-9092 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I had my furniture moved and placed in storage until I found a place to live. When I notified them that I had an address and could deliver I was told they had “lost my furniture” and were looking for it. It took them 8 weeks to find it. In that time they told me “it is on a truck on the road from Colorado, loaded on the wrong truck.” I started calling every day and was given many different stories about where my furniture was and when I could expect delivery. They finally located my furniture and delivered it. I am missing about 1/3 of my furniture and several pieces were damaged. They then refused to honor their responsibility to repair or replace those items that were damaged. I have made many cross country moves and have found this company to be the worst experience ever. Never use them if you value your belongings.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

From the beginning, they were good about communicating and their process and price. I got another quote that was double. I had the initial quote from Colonial and then there was a follow up call to ask if I forgot anything, and I did, so I added some things to it. Then they kinda tweaked the quote and the deposit. Along the way, they made sure that I was quite informed.

The move itself was flawless. It was the subcontracting moving company that made the move and they were right on time. As soon as the crew showed up to do the packing, one guy was responsible for checking off everything against the additional list I had provided, and then seeing if there was anything else, and then providing me an updated estimate of the weight. One thing I did like is that it was actual weight. They actually weigh the truck before and after, and they provide that documentation. It took them about five hours to pack. They had five guys there and I didn't have a lot of stuff. Then it was only two guys that were doing all the unloading and they took a little less time. It was about three and a half hours. Everything was delivered and they were professional. Nothing was broken. So it was good. When they got up here to deliver everything, the weight was only off by not much at all. So that final estimate was pretty much right on.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Watch out for something they call the "long-carry." It means how far from their truck they have to carry the items. It's not clear how this charge is determined and remains a mystery to me still. They reduced the price of my "long-carry" after I asked about it. Make sure you know how this will affect your overall total.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I came across some moving providers via Google. I shopped at four and their pricing was aggressive. I dealt with three people from Colonial and the first person I spoke with, Teresa, was thorough. I knew their price was a little low but it was fair, so I went with them. Pickup and delivery went well. They were a little understaffed on the pickup though. They sent two people and both were really good and knew what they were doing, but with the amount of stuff that we had, they should've added an extra guy. I live in a high-rise building and you're only allotted two hours. They went over the two hours, but fortunately, I didn't get a fine, so it worked out.

The delivery was easy. They hammered it quick, so that went well. There was still a window of possible days it could be here and it was nice to have it here on the first day they they said it would be. Moving is very stressful and I moved out of state, but overall, they did a good job. If I were to move again, which I don't plan to do for quite some time, I definitely would consider using them again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I called a couple of companies, but Colonial came in at a better price and it’s who we stuck with. We were taking care of older people in Arizona that both passed away last year, so we relocated back to our home state to be closer to family. The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix stuff. We went over by 300 pounds, which was almost a $2,000 difference, but other than that, it went wonderful. There weren't any surprises on moving day. It was also nice to know that people are always checking in on us.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Colonial's price was good and my contact person, Lauren, was wonderful and very informative. She answered all my questions and returned my calls when I called her. Brandi was great too. We just relocated and I was 98% prepared. They were supposed to be there on a certain day between 1:00 and 4:00. They called and said they were not gonna be there until 6:00 and then they said it wouldn't be until 7:00. We told them to just come the next day. I get that stuff happens and that delay was the only problem that we had. Brandi also kept me informed and she was on them all the time to get it done.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Another moving company did an estimate for me before and it felt like a bait and switch. They showed up, loaded all my stuff and said that the move was gonna cost X amount more and that it would cost even more to move my things in the rain. They also said it would cost more to move things 10 more feet and more to put my things upstairs. They had all my stuff held hostage. That company also said they were gonna deliver my things on a certain day and they came a month later.

When I was looking for a mover online in the comments section, I saw that Colonial addressed every one of the complaints I saw. People would then say Colonial comes back and fixes everything that was wrong. That was a good step in making me feel confident that they were gonna do the right thing. They didn't do any of the things the previous company did. As long as I gave them a comprehensive list of my things, they estimate on the high side based on weight in order to give me a realistic and fair price for my move.

It is fair to estimate everything based on weight. I ended up coming in underweight and paying less. That is a very good business model. During the move, there were a couple of things that got broken and Colonial could have done slightly better with that. The guys who did the deliveries were all very nice and I've been happy with them. They were there when they said they were going to be. Colonial wasn't perfect, but they were as close to it as they could be.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Everything went great with Colonial Van Lines. Everybody was great. It was a good job done by all. I appreciate it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I had a very good experience with Colonial Van Lines. They were excellent. I moved to Florida. I couldn’t afford Staten Island anymore. My maintenance fees were skyrocketing, and they raised my assessment fees. The movers were great. They were kinda late, and they reimbursed me for being late. With this COVID junk going around, I can understand them being late. The service was great. Nothing was destroyed. I have a very expensive curio, which I really was very concerned about. It’s absolutely without a scratch. It’s completely glass. So I’m very impressed with how they took care of everything. I have a very expensive art. They wrapped that up beautifully. Then when they got here, they made sure that I had everything where I wanted it. They put everything together. They were great.

I was unpacking stuff. I was looking and I thought I had a floor lamp missing. I had one carton left of clothes. I said, “No, I emptied all my clothes out. Maybe it’s somebody else’s clothes.” I opened it up, and it’s my floor lamp. So, I had to call them up. They were filing a report and I had to tell them not to do a report. I found it. I recommended Colonial Van Lines to two of my friends because they’ll be moving to Florida in December. I told them, “You should better call now and make sure that you could him.”

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

It was cheaper to go with Colonial Van Lines. We were relocated to another state. Everything was in storage and just shipped to another storage unit. It was easy-breezy. I dealt with multiple people, but they were all nice. The cost was off a little bit. I didn't know how many boxes I had, but it cost a little bit more than what was expected. The only thing was I didn't know that it would take a long time. I didn't know they would tag each merchandise and put it in the truck. It took about four hours. It would have been better if someone told me that. I wasn't prepared. Other than that, the two people that were in the truck were excellent. I really liked them. They were very friendly.

Colonial Van Lines was very detail-oriented. If you change your mind about boxes or you add one, make sure you tell them so they could write it on the paper. I didn't tell them everything, so when they got the list of what was in the storage unit, it wasn't completed. The guy that I was talking with when I first started out said, "Oh, don't worry about it. I didn't have to tell him every detail." But you do have to tell them every detail that's in the storage unit so they know to write down every little thing.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information