2. Movers
Accredited Partner

Margate, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.27/5

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (6)
Colonial Van Lines Get a Quote

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Moving Squad moved me from Miami to Tampa, Florida. There were three people that came in with boxes and moved my stuff out of the apartment. I explained to the gentleman that since it was a short distance between Miami to Tampa, it would be an issue with the car trying to have the courier to get there in Miami at a certain time. The guy probably couldn't work along with my schedule and the courier was giving me a lot of problems saying, "I don't think I can get there to get the car." So, the gentleman at Moving Squad contacted Colonial Van Lines.

The guy came a day in advance on July 16th and drove the car to the apartment. I'm not good with directions and when it comes to driving or highways, I get lost. I can’t read a map. I’m not gifted in that area. It was such a blessing that the guy waited around until I got to Tampa in the evening time on July 17th. We were maybe late by 30 minutes from Miami but I wasn't charged. There was no damage to the car and to the furniture. Moving Squad got here before me and didn't break anything. They were nice and fast.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

There were several different people that I interacted with. But I had a very hard time getting ahold of one of them when I wanted and I had to leave messages, but the others were good. The moving crew, the driver and his manager who was taking inventory, were really great. They also had a couple of people packing and moving the stuff, which were from the contractors. They took one day packing and another day loading, and then took us several days driving down here. Overall, it was very good and easy. I was happy. Some of my items were damaged and the driver and the lady manager took care of that right on the spot and they came up with the compensation for me. But now, we have found out that we are missing some items completely and we just let it go.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Colonial Van Lines claims over and over again that they are not a broker. However, they did not service my move in any way. Booking with them two months in advance provided no benefit since they did not reserve or schedule a truck for my move date and only told me a few days before that they could not make my estimated pickup date.

Missing the estimated pickup date was only the beginning of the issues that occurred from there:
-Told me 4-hour pickup window and did not show up, I had to call an hour later and they said they'd get back to me
-A 3rd party moving company showed up and asked for extra money to provide his team since it was raining, but told me he'd "take care of my stuff" and be the guys who would deliver (they weren't)
-They would not give me delivery date; even though they said they would at pickup, but he'd call me the next day
-The next day they said they wouldn't know the delivery date and claimed they would 'only have a better idea of a delivery day during the pickup', which made no sense since they didn't have a better idea even the day after

-6 Days after pickup and 5 calls putting off from various Colonial Van Lines employees did they finally give a delivery day

At Delivery
-First things off the truck weren't mine
-Boxes ripped and broken
-Wood dented and scuffed on furniture

-Despite several emails from Colonial Van Lines about their trained staff and COVID precautions, they were all lies because the movers were hired off CRAIGSLIST and were not employed by either Colonial Van Lines or the 3rd party

I am still missing items, Colonial Van Lines takes no responsibility for their third parties despite telling me prior that they own all their trucks and all employees are theirs, and claims they don't know what other people I spoke to said which is the laziest response possible for having 11 different people call me over the moving process. All in all, Colonial Van Lines only took my money and provided nothing. A 3rd party provided a truck and hired people on Craigslist to move the possessions of mine that actually showed up.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I was referred by a friend who had used Colonial Van Lines to move from Baton Rouge to Cincinnati, Ohio. The rep and I talked on the phone a few times. He also talked with my dad on the phone to help us understand the fees and the plan for moving my belongings. The only thing that was not clearly stated and understood by everyone upfront was the additional charge for the feet from the van to my front door. We were kinda taken off guard about the additional fees on the front end and on the back end. I was told that by the actual mover that came to move me. He said that essentially, anybody who doesn't live in a single family home will have to pay that extra fee.

But the actual move was perfect. The person that I worked with worked alone when he came to pick up my stuff. He had a helper that came to help with the mattress towards the end. When he came to drop my stuff off in New Orleans, he worked by himself and he was excellent. I really appreciated him. He worked pretty fast and my stuff was delivered. Everything was accounted for and there were no major damages with my belongings.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Colonial Van Lines delivered the car and everything went fine. Their coordinator was good. He has done three moves for me already. He delivered to the expectations, he quoted me my price and did what he was supposed to do. The driver was good as well.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Updated on 08/31/2020: Well, once again I only put one star because in order to continue this review I had to. They are a -0 ⭐️ company. So the first reviews were about how I contracted with the company, paid a deposit and they never showed up, leaving me at the very 11th hour to move myself. Two days after the review “Donna” from the Resolutions Department contacted me. She was very charming and apologetic on the phone telling me that she didn’t get back immediately because of her colonoscopy, then going into all the reasons why their company is so screwed up based, of course, on the COVID-19 situation.

The conversation went on and on about how that affected them and actually she was trying to make me feel guilty. I did ask her why if this started during the Covid season did they not begin notifying people that they were going to be a no-show. By the way, there were 6 other reviews with the same situation that I face during the month of July when the company blew up.

Somewhere in the middle or toward the end of this ongoing diatribe about how all the moving companies were having problems I asked her so where is this going? She asked me if she put in a “special request” for $350 because of, I guess, “my pain and suffering” would that be agreeable to resolve my issue. And she would get back to me. That was August 22. End of conversation. No further communication to date. Once again proving that they are a no-show, no communication company. Nice words ONLY. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY -0⭐️.

Updated on 08/21/2020: Remember the 1 star is only to be able to write this review. Still -0 ⭐️. No service, no show, no contact company. This is a follow up to my August 20 review. I have been contacted by “Donna” in the Resolution Department twice with a phone number that goes to voicemail, twice. She asked for a “brief” conversation about my experience which we have been unable to have because no one answers the phone! Guess I’ll try Mitzi, the receptionist, as she was the ONLY person available.

Original Review: I only put 1 star as it’s the only way to continue this review. I give them -0 stars! I contracted With Colonial Van Lines in early June for a move from Georgia to Moody, Texas, at distance of 1000 miles. Paid $1900 deposit. I was scheduled for pick up on July 27 and 28th to be delivered in Texas by around August 1. On Monday, July 27 never showed. I called them “25” times and no one would speak to me and tell me what the problem was. The one time I was able to get thru to Artisha **, my contact person, she became quite irritated with me because I wanted to know why no one showed up. She kept telling me that as soon as the dispatcher got in touch with her she would get in touch with me knowing all along what the problem was.

Finally at 4 o’clock in the afternoon of the 27th I found out they had no driver, did not intend on having a driver and left me totally without a mover. I had to be out by Wednesday the 29th. I was In total disbelief and stunned that this fiasco just happened, as I based my choice on “your” Consumer Affairs recommendations. The only person that tried to help me get information was Mitzi, the receptionist. All the phone calls and voicemails I left were NEVER returned. Finally I was able to talk to someone at 4 o’clock on Monday and that’s when I found out they had left me stranded. I consider this a con job. I did get my deposit back the next day, no explanation? How dare they put me in the position they put me in! I cannot tell you the depths of my anger for them leaving me in the lurch! I DO NOT Recommend colonial van lines. A no show no service company.

Colonial Van Lines response

Sandra,

I apologize for the issues we experienced scheduling your move here. We in the Resolutions Department will be reviewing your account and attempting to help reach a positive resolution. If you'd like you may always call us at 954.958.2253. We look forward to speaking with you soon!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Going through Colonial Van Lines' process was awesome. The reps were meticulous and gave me information every step of the way. They called me, checked up on me and emailed me every update. Colonial provided me a straightforward timeframe. A week or two before we went, I called them and added a number of boxes. I needed to add more than they were taking but it wasn't a problem. I even got pictures of the boxes and how they put them in my storage unit for me 'cause it was 1,200 miles away. They put my things in my storage unit, took pictures and sent it to me. Using their service was a wonderful and flawless experience.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Initially, I was a little worried about who was gonna show up since Colonial Van Lines was more of a brokerage than an actual moving company. I also didn't like the deposit. But we lucked out with the company in Houston that they ended up brokering. The drivers that showed up were great. If I had to move again, I'd just pick them in a heartbeat.

It took about a week to get my things delivered. But I still couldn't figure out the shuttle charge. There was gonna be a shuttle if they couldn't fit an 18-wheeler into the pick up or drop off location. I'm almost 100% sure that they've used the exact same truck to pick up and the same crew that drove it all the way up. So there was no shuttle involved but there was a charge for it. But after reading some of the reviews, I just threw in the towel and was just happy that it was the only charge.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Originally, I wasn't going to move with Colonial Van Lines. But the other company that I was trying to get to move with had no availability during the timeframe that I was looking to move. So I looked online and the first search that I had was Colonial Van Lines. They gave me a very basic quote then I called them. They already had my file ready and it took me 30 minutes. They were very professional about it. They gave me an estimated timeframe for pickup and for delivery, and explained to me how the process was going to go from beginning to end. My main concern was the delivery timeframe. But that ended up being less than a day. They gave me a pretty wide window, so I was a little worried in that regard, but that was about it.

I moved from a little north of Philadelphia to the Rockville area in Maryland. So that's around two and a half to three hours total drive. Colonial Van Lines got to my place in Pennsylvania around 11:00 AM and they were all done packing by around 2:00-ish. Then delivery was two days later in Maryland, and it took an hour and a half to unload and unpack everything.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

I liked Colonial Van Lines' price. The lady that I dealt with was excellent. I moved from Georgia to Kentucky. I came home. I gave the information to her and she triple-checked, which was great. She continued to check with me and make sure that everything was good to go, and it was great. I appreciated the personal interaction.

The services and expectations set by the coordinator were perfect. I got better than what I expected. As far as the move, nothing was broken, nothing was lost, and nothing was damaged. The truck driver guy brought his daddy to help him load my stuff in Georgia. His daddy was hilarious. We had a great time while they were moving me out. Then when he got here with my stuff, there was another gentleman that had come up from Louisville, and they were wonderful. So overall, I was very pleased. It was the best move I had. This has been about my sixth move now. I put on my Facebook when I first got home that if anybody needed to move, they should call that phone number that I had.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information