2. Movers

Margate, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.25/5

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (6)
Colonial Van Lines Get a Quote

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: April 17, 2021

When they took the contents of the house to the big storage building, they put all of the boxes that have things in it that we needed to get to in the far back and all the furniture in front of it. We couldn't get to any of the boxes at all. Also, when the lady called for payment, it was about $1,600 more than I was quoted. Other than those, the move went well.

Colonial Van Lines response

Wes, thank you for taking time to share feedback on your experience.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I was unable to attend to the move due to a death in my family. Friends packed my house and a neighbor opened and locked my house two days for the movers to load the truck. My household went straight to storage where every inventory item was accounted for w/o checking contents of boxes, etc. Many items were severely damaged: steel floor lamp post bent out of marble base; wood file cabinet crushed; 3 lamps broken, stationary bike wires pulled out, many wood furn scratched + leather sofa scrapes...

The worst part is all of the items that were stolen: boxes of tools (2 sanders, drill, bits, rachet set, staple guns, etc.); 3 LG rubber outdoor mats, 18x30" gold framed print under glass; all the hardware (nothing could be put back together - dresser mirror, bedframe, dining table legs, NO HARDWARE was saved; bathroom metal shelving unit; gardening supplies, more than I can remember! I could have hired 2 16 yr old and rented a truck with much better results than I got from Colonial "hiring out" my move to thieves for over $5,000. It was and still is a very distressful event and I would never recommend Colonial. I've not asked for compensation (I had no way to know all that was stolen) and I've received not even an apology.

Colonial Van Lines response

Cathy, we apologize you did not have a pleasant moving experience. Donna, our Resolutions Manager, will be reaching out to gather further feedback on your experience. You may also contact her directly if you'd like, her direct line is 954.958.2253.

Original review: April 16, 2021

The movers were timely and prompt. They got there first thing in the morning, as expected. They did a great job wrapping the furniture so that it wasn’t damaged in transit and packing too. When I got to my new location, they did a good job of bringing it in and placing it where I wanted it to go. They were very responsive to my needs so I didn't have any issues at all.

I would definitely recommend Colonial because their prices were competitive. The rate I paid for them was not much more than I paid to go 10 miles down the road and the level of service and the professionalism of the moving staff was a lot higher than what I dealt with in the past. In the neighborhood that I live in, an 18-wheeler would probably not be conducive to this neighborhood from a turn-around perspective so they all went ahead and found a smaller truck for me. I had a great experience and I would certainly use Colonial again.

Original review: April 15, 2021

The quote provided was a little bit off. Kind of underestimated how much needed to be packed. Part of that was because we did a virtual walkthrough, as opposed to walking through and actually seeing what needed to be done. But the company they subcontracted to did a great job. The truck showed up and the driver and his worker walked through and formulated a plan essentially. Then he hired three helpers in the local area and they showed up about an hour later. In the meantime, the driver and his helper had already started packings things.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Colonial had the best timeline. The driver was fantastic too. He was hilarious and super helpful. We loved him. We had a couple of things broken though. Not his fault, but the movers' fault. People loading it at the house in California broke my son's toddler bed. Then somewhere along the lines, the crib got broken and a few other things were broken too.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I really liked the gentleman I was talking to. He gave me a lot of options and he explained about the consolidated shipping. It sounded like something I could use. They worked very well with me. I'm in Texas. Someone else had packed up my house in Alabama and had put it in a storage area. We went through all of that and came to an agreement that worked. My brother had taken a picture of the storage unit. So they based on the little dividers in the storage unit, they could tell how much was in there.

However, the carrier wouldn't be able to get his truck into my apartment and they were going to have to rent a truck and a trailer. That was the Friday before I was going to drive on that Sunday. Because of my circumstance, I didn't have any more money today. Between them and the carrier, supposedly they agreed that they would both cover that part because it had not been brought up before. Also, two of my TVs were messed up. They sent me the form and they're trying to pay me 60 cents per pound for the flat-screen TV, which is nowhere near going to cover it. I haven't gotten with them on that yet.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I liked the clarity in terms of the estimate as well as the responsiveness for all the emails and questions. The rep was very knowledgeable and everything went better than what I expected. I moved before and I used to spend a lot of time trying to call to ask a question or inquire. In this case, it is exactly the reverse. Colonial kept with me and checked with me from the time they came to do the packing until the delivery and assembly.

Original review: April 11, 2021

I wasn't happy with Colonial Van Lines. They were on the phone and they were who I thought I hired but some other van line called. Stevens Moving Service is the one that came and put the stickers all over my boxes and most of the boxes that were marked as fragile were smooshed. Thank goodness, not a lot was broken but the thing that I brought to the house myself and didn't have them move, I must have had sitting in one of the rooms they moved the boxes into. They saw it was jewelry and it disappeared. I have spent a long time searching the whole house and going through every box to make sure that I haven't made a mistake and checked my storage trailer to make sure it wasn't in there. It took a long time to do all that because I didn't want to accuse anybody falsely. But they're the only people that have been in my house so now I have to file a police report that they stole my jewelry.

Original review: April 10, 2021

At the very end, they didn't call me when it was coming. The person who had been my point person no longer worked there and the girl who was taking over from her hadn’t been given information on our account. Those are the only two hiccups, but other than that, it was fine. They broke a couple of things but that's to be expected.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Colonial Van Lines was quick to reply and they seemed to understand what I needed. Their rep did a very good job of calculating what we needed because it was not a normal-sized studio. It was just a few things. The local company that did the work lost a couple of screws for the mirror, but in terms of how well they packed and took their time to count everything, they did a good job. Colonial Van Lines was easy to work with and they were very reasonable in the amount they charged. So I will definitely recommend them.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information