2. Movers

Margate, FL

4.1/5 (287 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: July 16, 2021

I spoke with the first customer rep, and he filled me in, gave me all the information, explained everything, and sent the paperwork that needed to be signed. I then had a lot of correspondence back and forth between the mover, the driver, and the dispatch. Sometimes it got a little confusing ‘cause there were so many hands stirring the pot, and I didn't know who it was that I needed to reach out to. It was fine when I finally spoke to the driver, but then I had somebody else call me. She said she's the case manager, barely had any information for me. When I called back and spoke to somebody else, I wasn't able to get in touch with her when I had a question for her to advise her about the incorrect quantity of boxes that were supposed to be added.

By that time, the price increased. From paying about $7,000, we went up to 14,000. That was a bit much for boxes and no furniture. Apparently, there was a disconnect when I went back and forth with a few other people telling them that there were more boxes than there were initially, which is why it increased the price. Also, the truck that they sent over wasn't large enough, so it was a little crazy trying to fit everything in there.

We moved the whole house and we packed everything. They were mostly boxes and we had it all put in one area for the movers. They came from a different stop and they ended up coming late in the day, but it was quick. They did the job in one evening and then got on the road the next day. It took them two days because they needed to stop. They couldn't drive straight through due to timing. For the most part, Colonial Van Lines was good and it worked out well. One thing that was disappointing was that they didn't take American Express. They said, "No. For this initial down payment, we need to take it via Visa and Mastercard but no American Express." They told me that the final payment can be taken by American Express, but that wasn't the case, so that was a bit confusing.

Hi Rima,

We value your positive feedback and wanted to let you know that your comments have been reviewed and that we appreciate your time with us here at Colonial Van Lines. Have agreat day!

Original review: May 30, 2021

I was looking for a mover from California to Atlanta. Colonial Van Lines showed up along with a few others. I looked up Colonial Van Lines. I found some of the information were true. There was one other vendor too. I kind of got estimates from both of them and Colonial seemed to be very true and transparent and good to work with. My moving coordinator was wonderful. He spoke to me and got all the information from me. I found that as a very standard practice. He provided me with the quote. I did not choose Colonial first. I went with another vendor because they quoted me a couple of hundred dollars less than what Colonial did, but I learned a lesson. When they arrived at my house, they looked at the inventory, which I kind of provided. It was accurate. Whatever I gave them was there. It was all packed but then they kind of increased that amount three times, which I did not like.

At the last minute, I had to call Paul. He was the coordinator who initially gave estimates to me. He was very quick to accommodate my request. The good thing is after they sent the movers home, the price didn't change. So, the way that Colonial had estimated was accurate. I'm very impressed about it. The movers that picked up and also the folks that delivered were super quick. They did not waste any time. They arrived and they did the work. Two people came when they picked up, and three people came in the delivery. It was all done in less than a couple of hours.

Because of the situation I went through, I would definitely recommend Colonial to whoever asks me. They have helped me. I just was left a couple of days when the original plan kind of failed. Colonial accommodated the request within a very short time. I had all my flights and everything. I told Paul, “Paul, this is my situation. Do something.” He did his magic. He got everything done.

Original review: March 14, 2021

All the documentation, the correspondence, and everything that I received or that took place was through Colonial. I was looking at a company that they would deal with everything from point A to point B, and it wasn't exactly clear that it would be an agent, which was not necessarily Colonial drivers that would be picking up our stuff. I know that Colonial goes through a process where they vet the drivers that are going to pick up the shipment and carry it cross-country. But on Colonial's website, they say, “It's our agent.” Calvin Lines was the actual trucking company and movers that picked up the household goods and took them to the destination. So I felt a bit misled.

We were told that we would have a 48-hour window of when we would be told that the delivery would take place. It was on a Friday and I was told that the delivery would be either Monday or Tuesday. This was also over a holiday weekend. They said we would receive a 24-hour notice before the driver was going to deliver the household goods. I got a call Monday morning from the account manager saying that the driver would be there that day. So we didn't get the 24-hour notice. My daughter was five hours away so she wasn't available to accept.

The information was communicated to the Calvin Lines gentlemen. They were in the area waiting. My daughter got there as quickly as she could. We weren't charged any extra. The driver and the two gentlemen that were with him handled everything. They were professional, courteous and polite. They handled everything with care and they didn't rush. We were very impressed with everything. The stuff was picked up and carried across the country. It was delivered and nothing was lost or damaged. So that was a good move. There were a few hiccups along the way, but nothing major. Everything went well. We would definitely recommend Colonial Van Lines for anyone’s cross-country moves.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I liked Colonial's price per pound. They were accurate. All I had to do was pack my boxes and someone would pick them up for me, and then they described what services they can provide in terms of additional packing. Whatever I named, they had an answer for it. So, if I had to have picture frames packed, they prepared for that, or if there were appliances involved, they were prepared for that. It was basic. You can tell that when you ship with Colonial, there is not a lot of overhead, and they do less than truckload brokerage. What I had is an entire truck to myself and I had three people working to cart myself out of the house. All that for $1 a pound, and they were at the destination within three days of departure. That is like FedEx-ing your stuff.

One thing where people get confused or have after-moving complaints is that their estimate of weight is off. What I did was, because of COVID, I cheated a bit. I had a North American Van guy come out and do a weight estimate because those still do in-person estimates. Then, I took his labor and work and then supplied that bid to Colonial. That is because they came in at a different price because they don't offer in-person weight estimates. So, as a consumer, you look at your refrigerator and you know it's heavy, but you have no idea if it's 300 or 550 pounds. The weight estimate is what is key. And I've looked at people complain about Colonial is that because after their stuff was dropped off, the truck is weighed in route, and then they get an accurate assessment of what they are actually going to be charged for shipment. So, if there was a way that they could supply consumers an accurate way to estimate weights.

If consumers are going to move appliances, stove is this, washer is that, dryer is that, movers should have an idea. And then, that way, the person can plug and play and go, "Okay, this is what my calculated weight is, and I'm going to use all medium boxes from Home Depot." Then, it's incumbent upon them to come up with a standard weight of what they are going to sew into each box, and then multiply that by a number of boxes, and then they would have a formatted way to say, "I'm going to have a weight within 15%." So, when the Colonial driver shows up and says, "Okay, this is your final bill," they are not surprised. There was one person, I read their complaint where they were 4,500 pounds off. I could easily have done that. I could have lowballed my weight by 2,500 pounds and go, "Wow, I'm surprised," because you don't know until they finally get there. But I used that North American Van Lines estimate.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I was going from Ohio to Florida and I did not really have people that could help me do the move myself, so I needed to hire a company. I had called a few moving companies and Colonial Van Lines seemed to be reasonably priced and they were very communicative as far as letting me know what was going on. The coordinator let me know about how much it was gonna be and that it went by weight and how the time frame works. It could be anywhere from a week to a couple weeks. I didn't really understand that they were picking up and dropping off along the way, but she did explain that the time frame could fluctuate a little bit.

My pick up date got delayed a couple times, but I understand why that happened. It was my fault when somebody else's pick up date got delayed because when they got here, the truck couldn't pull in and there was a circle that I didn't know about. I had bought my place sight unseen. There was like a circle where the truck couldn't get through. They ended up having to go get a shuttle service. They call it a shuttle service, but they rent like a local truck and then they had to off load it reload it.

The cost was about what I was expecting. The only thing was when they told me the weight would be done right away, but it didn't get done right away. So, I didn't really know what the weight was. The person who assisted me during the move called all the time. She asked if I’ve heard from the driver, seen if they contacted me, which they did, they were telling me when they were on their way. She was always in contact with me. So, I was pleased with that. I liked Colonial Van Lines. They were very communicative, especially the salesperson and then the account manager who was helping me stay on track. I really liked that they stayed in contact with me a lot. I appreciated that. Even if it's gonna be early or late, at least they let me know.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Colonial was contracted to pick up for our move on 8/20 to deliver between 8/26 and 8/30. They called us and asked to pick up a little over a week early. While inconvenient, we accommodated this request, with the hope they would hold or better the delivery date since they were picking up early. It’s now 9/3 and we cannot even get Colonial to return our calls for a delivery date. Because they subcontract work out, they have no visibility to the subs and can’t provide information after you call and sit on hold for hours.

In addition, they caused significant property damage at pickup, including dragging a truck lift gate and damaging the driveway, dragging furniture across unprotected floors (most professional movers will cover floors before moving) leading to hardwood floor damage. Several of the crew that arrived were drinking alcohol throughout the day while loading.

Daniel,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Colonial could get my move done within the timeframe I needed. Customer service was all fine except for the people who packed up the stuff in my house. They had me sign a whole bunch of stuff that was blank, including a different estimate, and it seemed sketchy to me. They estimated a different weight than what was estimated on the day and that would cost a lot more. When I finally got the final invoice, that number wasn't there. It was the normal number that I negotiated with the representatives over the phone. But it was stressful to have the guy say it was gonna be $2,000 more.

The other thing was, I kept having to ask Colonial for a two-day window instead of a three-day window for when the movers were going to show up and move. I could only reserve the spots in front of my house for two days. I kept calling the rep and I kept getting voicemail. Finally, I called to cancel. Once I did that, they escalated it up to some supervisor who was able to finally get me back down to two days. But even then, they sent me something to sign. The normal process is I can sign stuff online and get it back to Colonial automatically. But this time, I had to print out the document and fax it to them. It was a real pain.

Good morning Jeremy,

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I told the rep that I was moving two rooms of furniture and I was initially quoted 1,000 to 2,000 but it ended up at 3,000. The movers were a little late coming but they loaded up the stuff and delivered them the next morning. Effectively, Colonial accomplished the task but I wouldn't use the service again because it was too much trouble. There were too many calls and they were too late in their callback.

Robert,

Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I liked the quoted price of Colonial. I had a couple of interactions with their customer service and they were all very positive. The only thing was my marble top table was damaged during my move. It had a crack through the marble.

Kimiko,

Thank you for the feedback.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Colonial made it very easy for me to set everything up. The first quote was pretty good then once the movers got there, they quoted me a price that was a little higher than what I was first quoted because I wasn't sure about how much I had in the unit when they went to look at it. I was fine with that. They moved my stuff from Greenville, North Carolina to Newport News, Virginia. They packed everything in one day and brought it to me that afternoon. It didn't take them long to unpack the boxes. That worked out pretty well. I would use Colonial again.

Bertha,

Thanks so much for the great feedback. We are happy that you had a good move experience. have a great weekend!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I got a few quotes from different companies and Colonial was one of the less expensive options. They also offer car shipping services, so I didn't have to do two different companies. The coordinators I worked with were good and the communication with the shipping of the car went well also. Then, they got my stuff in pretty quickly and nothing was broken. It was easy to work with Colonial. I would recommend them if someone is moving cross country.

Eric,

Thank you for your positive review. We value your opinion and wish you the best!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

When I called, the gentleman I spoke to was very fair. I gave him the dimensions of the items and the pricing was approximately $1,500 under the other companies. I went with him, which is the biggest mistake of my life. The head guy who was to pick us up in packing was very good but he did not watch his men work and did not direct them properly. The helpers did not wrap one piece of furniture and that ruined about four pieces of furniture. Also, I have an electric bed and they took it apart. They took out the brain of the bed and they put it somewhere. Why would they take the brain and the remote and leave it in a bookcase that was open? It could have been lost.

Then, they said that the pickup date would be on the 19th or earlier. I asked them to please make it the 19th of the month because we’re handicapped and it takes us a little longer. That took about five conversations back and forth and they told me to read the contract and what they can and can't do. They also said they have a 10 to 15-day window to deliver and when I called the building, the only opening they had was on the 28th of the month, which meant I ordered them to hold off until around the 25th. They said they can't do that and they would have to put the furniture in storage. Put it in storage for nine days at $300 a day?

They had to hire a mover down here and get two storage rooms. This cost me over $3,500. And when they came down to pick up the stuff to bring it to the house, these guys loaded the truck and about seven items were missing. These are people I would never ever hire again and because of that experience, I would not recommend Colonial to anybody. All they’re after is to get your money like anybody else.

Good morning Steven,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. I have submitted your comments to the resolutions manager so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Colonial was cooperative, gave me a good price and answered all my questions. I was happy with the process. The people that actually moved did a great job. They had to get my stuff from a storage facility in California and bring it to Pennsylvania. They even gave me a little refund because it was less stuff in there than they thought.

Marie,

Thank you for your positive review. Have a great week ahead!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I had a couple of quotes that were for less money and Colonial Van Lines seemed a little high. But I had confidence in them. A fellow by the name of Tony coordinated the move and he did a nice job. Two fine, young gentlemen picked up on Monday and delivered on Tuesday. It went well.

Hi Donald,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Your opinion truly means the world to us here at Colonial. Have a great weekend!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Company was transparent and courteous, the driver was on time, delivery was on time and I was advised in advance, and my belongings well cared for. I was very pleased! I definitely will use Colonial for my next move!

Good morning Pam,

I am so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with Colonial Van Lines. We value your feedback. Thank you again and have a great day!

Colonial Van Lines Company Information