Margate, FL

4.1/5 (256 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

They were the best price for the organization that was paying to have us moved, and the organization they asked me to acquire. Everything went on time and the movers were amazing. Their quality of service is excellent. They did a really good job.

David,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

When my things were supposed to be delivered, the hurricane was coming through. Initially, the moving company told me I was gonna have to pay for the storage charges, and they couldn't come back and deliver for a week or so and I was gonna have to pay a week's worth of storage charges. So I called Colonial Van Lines, and they straightened all that out for me. They said, "No, you're not gonna pay anything for that." They didn't charge me one other fee as a result of that whole experience in the delay.

I was very happy that when I had a complaint, they resolved it really quickly and fairly for me. But I wasn't as happy with my experience with the person that was supposed to be communicating with me throughout the move time. That person would call very rarely and the communication was very poor. The condo required us to have the moving company have insurance. I gave Colonial Van Lines that information three weeks ahead of time, but it wasn't done on the day of the move. So I spent all day on the phone. But once I got to a manager, they really helped me.

Sharron,

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

The move was about 2,000 miles and their service was great. With all these kinds of things, it's never perfect. I understand that they do contracting with other movers. So when I book an order with them, sometimes they subcontract those efforts to other drivers and that can get messy because they're trying to coordinate multiple efforts with a logistics sort of situation. But whatever hiccups they did have, they were quick to resolve. They provided excellent customer service. I would use them again and I would definitely recommend them. But I would recommend that for anyone who really has a firm date on when they want to move, they need to purchase premium service. Because with Colonial, when you sign a contract without premium, it's just an estimated delivery date.

Chad,

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I went with Colonial Van Lines last year when I did my initial move. I got all my stuff with no issues so I went with them again. The rep was extremely helpful. The only thing I had an issue with was when I was moving was the same time as the hurricane. Because I had to be out by the 1st, which was a Saturday, they wanted to do it all between that Saturday and that Monday. They ended up fixing it to doing it that Friday. I was told it was supposed to be three of them, but only two showed up. They were helpful.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

We had another mover that was set up and he was a total no-show. Then, my wife called Colonial and Colonial was there within a week. The setup went by very well. The rep we talked to was very nice and professional. She worked with my wife and me and we got the inventory down right. When the mover got here, he went over the inventory and everything was correct the way it was supposed to be so there were no surprises. He was a couple of hours late but that was better than a no-show and at least he called. We had a little bit of damage at the end, though. We have damage on the piano and we found out that the refrigerator no longer works. They had to take the doors off and the drawers out of the refrigerator and when they put it back together, something was wrong somewhere. But other than that, we're happy with the experience.

William,

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

There was a language barrier with the moving crew, which was hard, but they were great and considerate workers. All in all, Colonial Van Lines did really well and we'd recommend them. The move was very stressful but they made it easy. At the moment, we're still going through boxes and we can't find our old family gold nugget. Also, we wish that the movers wouldn't have taken stuff out of our dressers. They're private and what they did was strange.

Mitch/Laurie

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! They lie. They charge for things they didn't do. They say the weight is more than what it actually is. They do not return calls. They are the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with. My move is now costing me DOUBLE what they quoted because they don't return calls, emails, or texts and they lie about charges. They are a total scam. They have had my things for 4 days and are now holding it hostage until I pay them yet more money. Hire anyone but Colonial Van Lines!

Kimberly,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. The resolutions manager has been advised, you can also reach her directly at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Our moving experience with Colonial Van Lines was nothing less than an absolute nightmare. Size, weight totally underestimated. No consistency with communication. Staff used for loading picked up at the local community kitchen-no moving experience and were seeking drugs. 3 loads of trash left on our front lawn from the moving van. A lot of Furniture damaged. Would not reimburse for the 14’ Uhaul truck we had to rent to transport all of the furniture that did not fit on their truck. Arrived at new location 4 days after they said they would arrive.

Eileen,

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I got three estimates and Colonial Van Lines was the most reasonable. They were responsive to all my calls or emails and the service was exactly what I expected. There were some delays in pick-up and in delivery, but they were communicated.

Kristie,

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Description of Complaint: Colonial has deceived me on the price per pound that I paid. Original price based on the weight alone (10,990 POUNDS) was $.5187/pound. When rewrite was done based on 11,214 was $.7827/pound. The truck weight after my goods were loaded was only 6,265 pounds. Under their estimate by 4,949 pounds! The original estimate has a line item charge of $2,854.23 for a Binding Estimate Fee. Why does this fee NOT appear on the rewrite? I believe it is so they could up the charge per pound so the Total Moving Estimates would come in close to the same amount per pound on the Totals!! Only a $.001 per pound difference.

This company has many ways to be deceitful on how they are charging you. Be sure, if you use them, that the price per pound is filled in. It was NOT even a line item on my original paperwork and left blank on the rewrite. I never signed and approved the rewrite and asked them 4 times to send me a copy. I have never received a signed copy. My goods would/could not be unloaded from the truck until I paid what Colonial required so I was manipulated to pay what they said, otherwise incurring additional charges. After my goods were unloaded I received a copy of the rewrite, but NOT a signed copy. After I wrote my original complaint Colonial contacted me and offered a monetary settlement if I would give them a 5 star rating. This is against the BBB rules. If I wanted the compensation I would first have to send them a copy of the post! One more way of deceit. This is a Bait and Switch Company. BUYER BEWARE!

Karen,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to you regarding your concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Things worked out perfectly with Colonial Van Lines and all the movers were really awesome. But toward the end, I got calls from multiple people with conflicting dates. It wasn't a big deal but it made it confusing. Also, the cost was pretty high compared to the other move that I've done before.

Neha,

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

My wife and I moved about seven times and every time we had a move, it was a nightmare. This last time, we chose Colonial and figured we'd get ripped off again like we did all the other times. But surprisingly, they did a very good job. We moved from Bradley Beach to Milton, Delaware and they had to store our furniture for a couple of months while our house was being renovated. There was a change between the quote they gave us and the final cost because there were a few things that were heavier than I had anticipated and we had a couple of more boxes than we had anticipated. But the change was very little and the guy already explained to us beforehand that that was going to be a possibility, so it wasn't a surprise.

Bill,

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

I chose Colonial after getting 3 bids. They weren’t the lowest but I felt they were more accurate about our move. We haven’t moved for 25 years and Lauren, the specialist helping us, has been both patient and very helpful so far. We are still packing.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

The quote I got from Colonial Van Lines was pretty competitive and slightly lower than some. The service was excellent right down the line and I would tell other to go ahead and book them because the experience will be a positive one.

Sandra,

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Two guys came and did a great job. They worked hard and didn't have any stuff damaged. But there was a lot of miscommunication. I got a call asking if they could come a couple of days early and I said they could. Then, I got another call the next day that said that they were just gonna come on the day scheduled. So that was fine. But they showed up a couple of days early when I wasn't quite ready. They got me early and that was good. But we had slowed down because of the call, thinking that they were going to come the day of. I liked Colonial's price though it went up. It had a lot to do with having more weight than what we had anticipated. It wasn't too bad and that was to be expected.

Brain,

Our team would like to thank you for the effort made in sharing your experience with the public. As household movers, we appreciate the opportunity to have played a role in your relocation and we wish you all the best in your new location.

Resolution response: Nov. 2, 2022

Special thanks to Donna at Colonial Van Lines. She has helped us to work through some issues with our move. Donna took the time to listen and communicate information that provided us with good service. Thank you for resolving and giving us great Five star customer service.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

If I could rate any lower I would START at -5 stars. Not only is moving a stressful process. This company has lied to us numerous times within our initial pickup date by saying the truck broke down. Come to find out, they didn't even talk to the dispatch OR truck driver. We planned to turn off our electricity and water from our old place, but was told to wait 2 extra days for the movers to come pick-up our stuff for the move. It has been 10 days and we have had NOT 1, NOT 2, BUT 3 total different people assigned as our moving coordinators. Every single person we have talked to about this over the phone to get an ETA or any possible update where our stuff is even located, has given us ALL DIFFERENT INFORMATION.

We are constantly trying to figure out a correct eta when our stuff is being delivered. They also stated they would only be giving us a 30$ discount/reimbursement for THEIR fault. They privately hire contractors to pick-up & deliver. Also they don't tell you the route or how many stops will be along the way. They state they have contact with the driver but again was a lie. After trying to contact a manager or higher-up. We were given even less attention and no remorse for our belongings as we have already set a down payment of 1,500$. Our total is almost 4,000 for 300 miles.

None of the customer service will give names to help you define your case. This place is a scam and already been notified to local police, Better Business Bureau. Not to mention I don't know where or when my stuff will even arrive. AVOID THIS MOVING COMPANY AT ALL COST. GRADE A SCAM!!!! Will post updates to this post as I learn more about this company and wherever my stuff ended up.

Dylan,

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with Colonial Van Lines. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to Nicol regarding your concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Resolution response: Nov. 3, 2022

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM.. I REPEAT. DO NOT SHOP WITH THEM, please. Terrible. LIARS. Won't admit their own faults. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. They don't even know who and where the movers are, because they are independently contracted out. Your precious items WILL arrive beyond late with no apologies or remorse, damaged, and stolen. LIARS. Customer service is terrible besides Donna who is on call strictly because the company is so awful and unprofessional. Armenia A. Is a terrible employee and needs to be fired for disgusting customer service. Already reported this company to Better Business Bureau. Don't waste your hard earned money. These people have no remorse and don't care at all.

Colonial Van Lines response

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with Colonial Van Lines. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to Nicol regarding her concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2022

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

This has got to be the worst experience ever! I am only moving 320 miles away and they were late 2 days for pick up. No one has answers for me, and they lied to me and said the truck broke down. Currently, I still haven't received my things, which now they are telling me, I won't get my stuff for another several weeks and again no one know why? (Which would be a month). People are rude, and have lied to me - this has been the WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER!!! They deserve any stars. BTW: I still haven't received my belongs and they are charging me $3400.

Nicol,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with Colonial Van Lines. Our Resolutions manager has reached out to you regarding your concerns and will communicate further when she has any new updates. Thank you

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

I called Colonial Van Lines and spoke with Tracy. She was so supportive and encouraging. I had a good feeling about it talking with her. The quote was fair and we didn't have any problem with it.

Eleanor,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

There was terrible coordination with the date of the move and how it would be. We couldn't get in touch or get answers from them after we had been given the quote and the move itself. Then, we were told we were going to move on a day that we had told them we could not move because we were going to a closing. We left messages for six days saying that day was impossible for us to move. We heard from them late in the day before they said they were gonna show up. They said they had moved the move to the next day. Other than that, as far as the move itself, the company they subbed it out to, Little John, was excellent. They really worked very hard to accommodate us with the loading and unloading.

Anne,

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

Colonial Van Lines showed up and unloaded everything. They were done quickly and were on their way. It went smoothly.

Darrell,

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

It was a decent experience. It felt satisfactory to me.

Naji,

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

It was great with Colonial Van Lines. They were able to service the date that I needed relatively quickly. I called them on a Saturday, and they were able to do the pickup the same week that I needed it in Texas. They delivered it relatively quickly, even though I didn't need it very quickly. It was delivered to New Jersey within five days of the pickup. I liked the fact that it was the same team. It was what was unique. I’ve moved on several occasions, and I’ve never had the same team pick up and also deliver it.

Juli,

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Whatever Colonial initially put in the invoice, the final amount was almost similar. Also, the driver was helpful. So overall, they delivered whatever they promised regarding the service. I'll recommend them.

Pritosh,

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I called Colonial and a couple of other moving companies and nobody could beat Colonial. The customer service was outstanding. The wonderful young lady who was my coordinator took all of my information and helped me connect with the driver as well as the inventory person. She walked me through everything that I needed to know and was really detailed in providing me with a ton of information. She was extremely polite and very patient with me.

Then, the movers immediately got ahold of me. I gave them the list of all the belongings. I even had to make several changes and they were extremely patient with me and provided me with additional savings because I had less than what I thought I was going to have. They walked me through everything and confirmed it a couple of times, which was really good because it kept changing for me. They called me every step of the way from Illinois to Texas letting me know where they were and they took excellent care of my belongings. Colonial went above and beyond from the beginning all the way to the end. I was so happy.

Shelly,

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I contacted Colonial well in advance to be moved from Indiana to North Carolina. They said no problem, we can make that move for you. I paid a nice size down payment, and confirmed my moving date. When date came, they told me they had no trucks in Indiana, maybe try for tomorrow. For three or 4 days, I got this run-a-round. I had to be out of my house in just a few short days. I got on the phone and found another company that agreed on Thursday to move me either Friday or Sat and I picked Saturday. Even though the cost was 50% higher than colonial, I got moved.

When the other company was there packing the moving van, I got a call from colonial stating they had no trucks in Indiana to move us, and they didn’t know when they would have. How can a company say they would move you on a date, and not make sure they had trucks available for the move. Don’t ever trust Colonial to do a move for you cause you can’t trust them to keep their word.

Thelma S.

Thelma,

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

In general, my experience with Colonial Van Lines was very good, and I am satisfied with their service. They were a cheaper price compared to the other moving company and they sent people who are professional. They kept with the schedule they promised too. There were some delays, but they gave me notice. They called me constantly and updated me about the progress.

Tracey,

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

The rep saw some pictures of the items in my home, and we went over that. We also added some stuff and they adjusted as needed. Colonial Van Lines had another pickup and another drop-off, and I was fine with that. We went from Virginia Beach to San Antonio, and the movers took a week, which was enough time. 'Cause I was more concerned with the delivery date than the pickup date. The only issue we had was moving the items into storage when they arrived. We loaded with three people, but they only hired two people to unload and we definitely could use the other person. I ended up helping them offload to storage while the other one unpacked the truck. Other than that, my experience was really good.

Daniel,

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

The reps were good, and the expectations they set were accurate. Everything went well.

Pino,

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Colonial has been terrible and completely out of touch with their contractors. Terrible communicators and has no clue what went on throughout my move. The movers showed up in a Penske rental truck that was too small for all my furniture. They had no boxes or materials to pack even though it was paid to be a full pack. The driver was wearing flip flops. Showed up several days late almost caused issues with the closing of my house sale. When my furniture showed up the drivers refused to assemble anything and refused to move items upstairs even though it was paid to include the steps. Dropped everything in the garage and left. Totally screwed us. DO NOT USE THESE MOVERS!!!

Mark,