Margate, FL

4.2/5 (277 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: July 17, 2022

Colonial was absolutely wonderful. I had a little issue with the person that was overseeing my account towards the end. But she was wonderful at the beginning, getting it lined up, and communicating with me. I had to fly from Virginia to California to meet the drivers, to move my stuff from California back to Virginia. When it was being delivered here, things were not being communicated to me. I couldn't reach her and I was frustrated. But the movers in California, the driver, and the team we had were the best I've ever seen. They worked with me.

Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I needed somebody to go from Jersey to Texas. I called them up and had pleasant conversations with them. We were doing this in 2021 and all of a sudden, everybody got sick and it was with the COVID crap going on. So, we postponed the trip and they kept my deposit, which was fine. It was a pleasant move. They were very thorough, quick, and professional. The guy, Chris, that drove the truck was here a day earlier than he was supposed to be here, which made me very happy at the drop-off site. They only broke a few things like the patio table and three of my stemware. Other than that, it was great.

Kathy,

Resolution response: Aug. 7, 2022

Donna had done an excellent job resolving my issues in a very professional manner. She is a asset to Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: July 16, 2022

We were moving to FL from NY and hired Colonial Van Lines. The worst mistake ever. As we approached our moving date, we had to call them repeatedly confirm that they were going to be there. They broke granite tops, stole an 8' extension ladder and offered us .60 cents per pound. I would never recommend them to anyone ever!!!!

William,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: July 15, 2022

The gentleman who moved my stuff knew what he was doing and was very good. He got it there at Wilmington in a timely manner. My sister was there to meet him and put it in the storage unit. He did a fabulous job. The customer service was amazing, which was why I went with Colonial. The people I talked to treated me with respect and I was very impressed. I had a great experience with Colonial Van Lines.

Shelly,

Original review: July 14, 2022

Colonial did a really nice job of being competitive on pricing. They were good with the schedule. They locked down a date that worked for me, and a timeline to get from the West Coast to the East Coast that was very efficient and good. We had a two-day packing approach where they came in the first day and packed up all my kitchen and then disassembled all my furniture. That took about eight hours. The second day, they loaded up the van and that took about six hours. They set my expectations about how long it would take and they met them.

Not only did they do a good job packing, but when we got to Florida, they got it all unpacked and set up in a day. We've yet to find anything that was broken. Everything was taken care of and well-packed. I’m happy with the whole experience. The only part that was not perfect was it took them a little bit of time to let us know exactly when our furniture would arrive here in Florida. They gave us a window of about two weeks, and then gradually tightened it down. But since we had to fly from California to Florida, having it earlier would have been a little easier. But that was a minor thing.

Carl,

Original review: July 13, 2022

They were very careful with my things. I've done a big move before and some things came damaged. But this time with Colonial, I didn't have any problems with that.

Shelley

Original review: July 12, 2022

Colonial provided a quote and they stayed in touch. The crew was good. They packed, loaded, delivered and unloaded in one day. They were pleasant and efficient.

John

Original review: July 11, 2022

Colonial had the best price. The rep I worked with seemed to know what he was talking about and was very helpful. Everything was good during the move. The driver did a great job. I’d definitely use them again.

David,

Original review: July 10, 2022

When I called Colonial, they were available. That very day, we walked through the entire house virtually, set it up, got it scheduled and we were ready to go. Everything went perfectly. There was nothing that disappointed me. Everybody worked very well that were here. If anything, they probably could have had a couple more people. But they worked their butts off packing and loading. When they came to my new residence, they opened up. I haven't found anything that I'm missing and nothing seemed broken. Everything was fine.

Bob,

Original review: July 9, 2022

The crew was very good and there was not a scratch on anything. We can't say enough about the service of the person over the move here, Larry. Colonial was top-notch and I would use them again.

Maija,

Original review: July 8, 2022

The move took a little longer than I thought it would but communication was pretty good. Also, I told Colonial that I did not want the furniture to arrive at my destination until I was there so that was not a problem. The shipment arrived about eight days after the pick-up. The gentleman who made the delivery did good work. It was not an easy address for an 18-wheeler to access, but he managed to back into the parking lot. I'm happy with the experience and I would recommend them.

Lawrence,

Original review: July 7, 2022

They could do a fuller disclosure on how exactly payments and money work with it. I was told that I could pay with a card but then I was told it has to be in cash or a transfer. The transfer didn't go through so I had to get cash. It was a mess. I had to pay them twice and then wait for three days for the money to come back. And it was money I was kind of short on. But otherwise, everything was fine and the delivery itself was great. The guys were great, although I don't really think it was professional that they asked for a tip. Other than that, they were pretty quick in getting everything loaded and set up.

Benjamin,

Original review: July 6, 2022

AVOID Colonial Van Lines at all costs! Looking to downsize? They will downsize the heck out of your belongings: we no longer have an extension ladder, multiple handcarts, countless power and hand tools, a leather ottoman, hundreds of batteries our Christmas tree...the list goes on and on. Their packers are horrible: all they used was Home Depot boxes and single ply paper-not a piece or bubble wrap was used. When our things were finally delivered (late) the boxes were mostly crushed, collapsed, torn open, etc. Our laser printer was shattered into many many pieces. Mattresses were only shrink wrapped-no mattress boxes used - resulting in filthy, beat up bedding - disgusting. Entire boxes were full of broken items. This entire experience has been a nightmare - look elsewhere for your moving needs.

Connie,

Original review: July 6, 2022

We were a little bit worried because nothing was packed up a day before we moved but the reps packed everything in one day and we were still able to make it on time. So, I don't have any complaints. The guy who drove the truck got off here in a couple of days. So, the experience was good. It ended up being alright. The rep took a couple of days to get up here. He called us when he was getting close to our storage unit because we were moving into a storage unit with our stuff. And Colonial gave us a call and let us know to meet him there.

The quote was reasonable. It was at 9,000 but it got reduced because we didn't use a lot of the boxes that I paid for prior to. I'd consider Colonial again if I was going to do another big move. My only complaint would be there wasn't a lot of communication from the office people prior to the move. We were waiting and trying to get an answer. It was a little bit difficult but once we got the process rolling, it was good.

Nick,

Original review: July 5, 2022

Every move is different but both moves I had with Colonial were decent and they made both experiences positive. With my first move, the actual movers that were subcontracted were not as awesome but this experience was completely different from that. Ann was the gal that I talked to to set up everything and she was amazing. She went above and beyond. I had planned to use a different company months before and they came out with a crazy quote that was $30,000 so, Ann scraped together a quote at the last minute and then, we spent multiple phone calls trying to get the inventory list right and she did a great job. Colonial subcontracted United Movers and Brian and Allie were the couple that drove to Texas to get my stuff. I had a card and they were in touch on the way. It was excellent.

Elizabeth,

Original review: July 4, 2022

The driver was great. The reps all kept in touch and we knew when they were coming. It was a quick delivery but there were some issues with the quote. It went up even though we took some items off. It was based on weight but the only issue we had was that they said it would require a shuttle. So, a smaller truck picked it up but it was never shuttled to another truck. The same truck dropped off. So, we weren't quite sure why there was a shuttle fee. But overall, Colonial did a great job. The reps were on time and efficient, and they packed well.

Teresa,

Original review: July 3, 2022

We were planning well in advance and Colonial was able to work with us several months in advance. Not every company is able to do that. Some of them would say it was too early and it would take a while before they could give us those figures or the prep. So, we were appreciative of working with a company that could get to it as it was. But it was a little frustrating that we were given three days and it wasn't until the day before the move when they said that we would be moving. The 28th was when we moved in but I was sure it would be the 30th and I would have the time to finish things that I wasn't ready for. So, my last days were a little bit rushed. But that was not anybody's dissatisfaction. And the reps delivered the very next day. We were expecting that it would be what they said or the eight business days.

The two young men were wonderful. They said they would drive three hours the end of that day and they would drive three hours the next day and would have it all at our house. We said that we couldn’t be there yet but we could arrange for somebody. We were worried but we were able to make the arrangements. We were very happy that it was all here but we weren't expecting it to be quite that well organized. So, that was pleasant.

Mary Ann,

Original review: July 2, 2022

The Colonial Van Lines rep did a good job. He was responsive. They left this huge window of time of when they come. There was a lot of confusion with Colonial because they outsourced to a local company and they were talking about an 18-wheeler and will it fit where we were moving to. And the people that they hired didn't have an 18-wheeler. They had a box truck. So, none of that mattered. I had to explain that to them. I said, "Look, just go to the website. You'll see for yourself. They don't have an 18-wheeler." But the guys that they hired were good guys. Everything was fine.

I still can't find a little foot for one of my kitchen tables. But it was easy to replace. And the stuff that they packed, when they pack for you, I should have known this, but they don't unpack it. All they did was box them up. That's all I paid for. They pack your TV, then your TV entertainment center. They just deliver it and you get to unpack it when they're all together again. If they're gonna box stuff up for you, they're gonna do a real good job of boxing it up. But they may not unbox it unless you pay for that, if you ask for that.

Mark,

Original review: July 1, 2022

We went through the estimate phase with Colonial Van Lines. I sent the pictures and we discussed them over the phone. It worked good. It was all virtual. The rep kept me up to date and was helpful. She was nice. I was driving out and the truck was somewhere and she called just to check and see if we were good. It wasn't, "Hey, we got your money. Good luck. Hope your stuff makes it." She checked on every day until we had our stuff. And it was a four-day window from when they picked it up to when it got dropped off. Everything was all set. They gave us a checklist of stuff, even stuff that wasn't move related. So, stuff that wasn't just about them picking up our gear.

Chris,

Original review: June 30, 2022

The first quote was very good but when we paid the bill, it was about three times that much. But we expected that and it was not a problem. Overall, the move went very good too. They loaded well and there were hardly any broken pieces. They packed it up and they said they would see us in two days in Houston. And all of a sudden, we needed to move. It went very fast. And down on this end, one person was the same, which was nice. Colonial did a good job for us.

Michael,

Original review: June 29, 2022

We thought it was brilliant that our agent used our recent Zillow pictures from the sale of our house to go room by room with questions on what we are taking to our next house. It saved a lot of time. Other than that, the estimate was the closest to what we expected and they have been very accessible to answer additional questions. If things continue as is, we should be in for a smooth move.

Cathy,

Original review: June 29, 2022

Colonial seemed to be what I was looking for. They were a Florida-based company so I chose them. My rep was Tony and he did a nice job. He convinced me that I was doing the right thing and he made me feel comfortable. The one thing I asked specifically was if Colonial had their own trucks and their own crew or if they farmed it out. I'm real familiar with military moves because of my children and I know how that works. I didn't want that. I was assured that was not the case and that they had their own crew and trucks. That was not true. We were in Florida and the home we were moving from was in Kentucky. I went over with Tony everything in every room that I thought I was going to move. He gave me an estimate and we went with that. I gave him a sizable downpayment.

After we got back to Kentucky, I called him and said I needed to adjust it. There were some things I told him I was going to move that we decided not to move like a riding lawnmower and a generator. I wanted to take those all off and add a few other things. He had someone call me back. They readjusted my estimate of the poundage and I had to pay an additional amount of money at that time because it was going to be a little more. He thought it was 12,000 pounds then it ended up being 14,000. There lies the first problem. I never had a person physically come and look at anything.

He asked me, "How far is it to your door?" and I told him it was within 75 feet. He said they were gonna put the tractor trailer in the front of the property. I said there was a small ditch. Everybody goes through it but it's not a big deal. He said they were going to put a ramp over it. All these conversations were on the telephone. When it came time for them to come, they came but it was on a small truck. You're not gonna move 14,000 pounds in this. It was like a Penske rental truck and not a big moving van. At that point, I asked what we were going to do. They said they were gonna load the truck. For the rest of the stuff, they were going to have another truck later that day. But that did not happen. They said they'll have one in the morning.

They loaded that truck. They took the rest of the stuff and put it in the garage. I said, "I have to be out of the house at noon tomorrow, as per our contract, which you knew at the beginning because the other people are coming in." In the morning at 10:00, another truck comes up and it was a little rental. The guy said, "We're gonna leave with both trucks today. We can be there tomorrow at noon. Can you be there?" I said yes if we're gonna get down here and get our furniture and get in the house. They leave it at 1:00 first, and we leave Kentucky. We drive like the bat out of hell and get to Florida and nothing. We couldn't get in touch with them on Sunday.

I had a moving coordinator and I couldn't get in touch with her. When she did call me, she would say, "I have to get in touch with dispatch because they do everything." She really was not any help to me. On Monday, a big truck shows up. As they were unloading the big truck, I asked where the smaller truck was and they were not sure. Three days or five days later, I found out that the smaller truck was still in Elizabethtown and they unloaded it and set it in some warehouse. They have gone and rented the truck, came to our house, loaded the truck, gone someplace and unloaded it and taking the truck back. Our washer and dryer, TVs, and big stuff are sitting somewhere and who knows when they're gonna get them.

After calling Colonial 14 times a day and getting Jonathan, who was supposed to be the dispatcher, he finally gave us the number of somebody else. I call this man and he was wonderful. He works in finance and has been with them for 20 years. He has no idea about any trucks. We were just given a random number. We told the man that when they unloaded the big truck, they wanted my husband to pay and we refused because we have a contract that said we would pay the balance upon complete delivery. I felt sorry for the two little guys. It was not their fault. They were just loading and unloading the truck.

As they were unloading the big truck, I was talking to Jonathan at Colonial and he was telling me that the reason that that little truck wasn't coming was because Salvador, who is one of the guys who loads and unloads the truck, doesn't have a driver's license. Therefore, he couldn't drive the truck. What the man didn't know was I have my phone on speaker and I'm letting Salvador listen to this. He said, "I went and rented that truck in Elizabethtown. How could I rent that truck if I didn't have a driver's license?" He shows me his driver's license. Colonial was lying about him. Salvador was a good guy who was doing the best he could and was working his butt off for however much money. He had to deal with all the people.

It was not fair. Anytime I call, the one person I could get was my truck driver. He always answered and he always told me where he was. We wait and we wait. I've already listed all the contents on the truck. I'm pissed because I need all my stuff. I have already contacted USAA Insurance at that point about what to. It was just big pieces of furniture but it was the parts of bedroom. I didn't have all the stuff that went with it.

I kept talking to Colonial and eventually, we filed a complaint. I was very disappointed and I felt betrayed. I will never recommend Colonial. On the other hand, I cared about my truck drivers. These guys worked very hard. They packed things beautifully and we didn't have anything broken. We did go rent a U-haul and my son-in-law and my grandson drove it down here. We sent on the marble pieces, all our mirrors, and all of our nice paintings. We sent everything that we thought could be messed up. We knew how long it was going to take and we knew how many boxes we had exactly. In the end, I never saw any truck that said Colonial on it. It was always a Penske or a U-haul. It was a stressful thing.

Marilyn,

Original review: June 29, 2022

Colonial gave me a good price, initially. They were also willing to offer storage, which I needed for a short period of time. I had the pickup on the 11th of May and they moved us in on the 23rd of May. It went fairly smoothly but the price ended up being about double what was originally quoted due to us having a lot more boxes than we had thought. That was a little disappointing. I accepted that we had a lot more than we had originally thought we would. Other than that, the delivery was good and the guys were hardworking. There was some breakage but that could be probably blamed on our packaging. We did our own packing because they had a lot of stuff stacked into a somewhat smaller truck than we were expecting.

Colonial Van Lines response

Our team would like to thank you for the effort made in sharing your experience with the public. As household movers, we appreciate the opportunity to have played a role in your relocation and we wish you all the best in your new location.

Original review: June 24, 2022

Being retired military, I have moved about every two years in the past 30 years. I decided to contract a move myself with Colonel Van Lines, the staff are high pressure and make worthless verbal promises. They showed up on at 10:30 on the last day of a three day window and went over a day packing until 7:00 pm. Had to argue to get reimbursed hotel and other costs the extra day caused. When delivered, items were missing that just met the insurance deductible of $1,300, so they basically had a license to steal from me. The only time the company was prompt was when I owed them money. I called customer service five times during the pickup window and never received a call back, but their billing company called to collect payment. I do not recommend this company.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: June 19, 2022

I paid Colonial 10 grand to move me. The Colonial representative who did my estimate went through it with us. There were no surprises and it was largely because of how thorough she was on the front end. The people who came to move were very fast. They did a great job. I went from New Orleans, Louisiana to Knoxville, Tennessee. When all my stuff was delivered, not a single thing was broken, which was amazing. We had a little confusion about my delivery date toward the end. We were trying to buy a house on this end and I had told them one thing, but there was a miscommunication. But they straightened that out quickly and got our stuff to Tennessee. It was a very good experience and I would definitely recommend them to anybody who asked.

Brian,

Original review: June 11, 2022

I sent Colonial Van Lines a deposit and they arranged a time to come pick up and pack up the stuff. A couple of days later, the reps were already down in Florida with my stuff and helped me unload it where I needed it. The communication was good. They followed up a lot and the guy who was running the move was awesome. There was a mix up where they had moved my stuff and I already had it and then, three days later, someone reached out and said my stuff was on the way and they would let me know when it's there. But that's even overcommunicating. So, I have no complaints. The only thing that was surprising was the cost ended up being more than I expected it to be. It almost doubled. But they did set the expectations that it was gonna be by weight.

Anthony,

Original review: June 9, 2022

When I got out of the army, they used Colonial Van Lines to move us, and we had a good experience with them. This time, we were moving out of state and everything was great. The only issue we had was they didn't contact us when they were gonna be here until 12 hours beforehand. They told us they would contact us a couple of days ahead of time, but they didn't.

Eric,

Original review: June 7, 2022

I liked the people I talked to at Colonial Van Lines. They did a good job. As far as the timeframe, they gave us a three-day window and they did come within that window. Then they gave us a window for drop- off and they came early in that drop-off window, which was very good. It's so much better to have our stuff here and to be able to get started with unpacking. They didn't come before their scheduled date. They came within their scheduled dates. There were a lot more boxes than they expected based on what they had seen, and the crew was very helpful.

Vik,

Original review: June 6, 2022

Colonial Van Lines was the only company that could accommodate for the time frame I was asking. The crew was good. They helped with the packing and the move went well.

Miguel,

Original review: June 5, 2022

This company operates unethically. First, they purposely underestimate the moving cost... then they send an 'expert' to revise the moving cost with on-site estimate. Then they hook you in with lies.. lie after lie. First they lie about the schedule, when you will be packed and loaded, when you will be delivered. Then they lie about the cost.. which they know to be low. Then you are hooked, signed a contract, and you find out the actual cost. Then the schedules.. more lies.. They know they can't make these schedules, and you will want to rely on them, but the schedules will all be blown. Bottom line: lies about cost, lies about service.. This company is despicable and runs a scam.

Jim,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We are unable to find your job number and would like to speak to you. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information