Call toll free

Call toll free
Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5
Visit Website

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
View More View More

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I used Colonial based on their reviews, and they were always on top of things, like calling me and putting me on the notice. However, I’m not happy about a few things. One is that the movers wouldn’t move one particular furniture because they needed to take it out from my window. I had to bring somebody else to remove the window so they can remove the actual furniture. That really took a lot of my time for that day. So, that’s awful. The second one is that, when I received the quote, they told me that the quote was a little bit higher just in case I needed more boxes. But at the end, I paid a couple of hundred more. And I didn’t bring all my stuff. There were some stuff that I gave away, and still, my payment was higher. Finally, the timing - they arrived really late. They gave me a window, but although they called me and told me where they were, they came one week after. I had to buy some stuff, like clothes.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

At the time, I thought Colonial did their own trucks, but it turned out they were broker, but the price was still great. The coordinator was good. It turned out to be more money than I thought it would, but that was just on account of since it was the first apartment, I didn’t think there would be many boxes. They started seeing a furnished apartment where I wasn’t moving the furniture. There was gonna be a certain amount of boxes. But it turned out I had a ton more stuff and there were a lot more boxes than I thought there would be So that wasn’t their fault. The account manager was great. She called frequently to update things on how the progress of the truck was coming along and did the truck arrived okay and how the movers were. Colonial was very good in keeping in touch and the move went very well.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Colonial Van Lines was recommended by my friend who had his move in 2017. I moved from North Carolina to California in ’17 and the experience was good so I went with Colonial for the recent move. There was great communication and the service expected was provided. The moving coordinators, in both cases, in ’17 and ’19, were very communicative. Timing-wise, they only mentioned during when I have the appointment set up that it would be plus or minus one day, but at the very day, it was also the same thing. They didn’t deviate much. Even the price value was on point on what they mentioned.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I did a quick search online and Colonial showed up. I spoke to them and they were pretty quick to get back to me about what offers they had and I said okay. The coordinator was very professional. Moving was great as well. Everything was done on time and as promised. The movers kept following up to make sure that everything was done right and I was able to reach them whenever I wanted to. I was overcharged which they mentioned to me before so weight was much lesser. Colonial was supposed to issue a refund and they followed up about it but I haven’t heard from them after that. They said they’re still working on it and that I should get it soon, but it has been taking quite a while. I’ve been waiting for almost a couple of months now on that and I don’t understand why it should take this long.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

They have better reviews. Their service was almost accurate and the representatives were good. Everything went smoothly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I looked at the reviews and talked to the providers, and everything was okay. The rates and the time of delivery were acceptable, so we thought Colonial was better over the others. Everything went smooth as we expected. We didn’t have any delays in pick-up or delivery. This is the total fourth time we are moving, so in my experience, they did a great job. Overall, we are completely satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Colonial Van Lines was able to lock in a time that worked for my move faster than some of the other companies. Everything was explained by the coordinator and it all went perfectly well. They moved a four-bedroom house about 1,100 miles. But the loading and unloading were really slow and took nine hours on each end. The expectation they set was okay on the front end. But on the back end, instead of getting at least a 48-hour notice of when the movers would be at the new house, we had about 15 hours. So, we left Arizona as soon as we got the notification and met the movers at the new house right then. It was not ideal from that end.

There were also some damages that I had filled a claim report on. One of the desks and the headboard for one of the beds were damaged. And when they brought in the couches, there was still a piece of MDF plywood on the bottom of the couches for shipping reasons. I didn't completely unpack them and left them in the plastic wrap coming from the furniture store. When the movers placed those in the house, they took a couple of gouges out of the wood floor. Next time, I know what to look out for and would prepare myself better.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

We were in a place in the United States where the local moving companies wouldn't move us across country, and then the big companies refused to come to us because it was a tricky place to access. It took us 4 months to find somebody that would actually agree to come out and move us. So, I chose Colonial because we were stuck. And we needed somebody to come and pack our house and drive us to our new place 4,000 miles across the country.

There were some issues in the beginning with misquoting a price. We thought we were gonna get it for one price, but he quickly came on and said he spoke with a supervisor, and then they had to address the price, and it was twice as much. But our hands were tied at that point and we had to go with them. Otherwise, we weren't moving. So, we sucked it up. But customer service-wise, everyone was apologetic and they followed up with us with phone calls. It wasn't a bad experience all in all. So, while they won't be a company I would go with now because we live in an area where there are plenty of options for us, I would recommend them to some people for being the only option.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I was on the internet and I called Colonial Van Lines for an appointment. The young lady who I talked to was very knowledgeable. I wanted them to move my thing because I was selling my house, and everything worked out wonderfully. They couldn’t get the truck down the street because the streets were narrow but they drove in, so it was delivered fine. It was a great job. I wish that I had truly hired them for the whole job. The guy didn’t pay me on time so I had to cancel out with Colonial because he had to get an extension to buy the house. It was eight days passed when they were supposed to move. It was a nightmare. But I had a nice experience with Colonial Van Lines. I enjoyed them. They answered the call and delivered on time. I was very pleased.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Colonial Van Lines didn’t send a big enough truck first, so we had to do two loads. It was all right. I've never done this move before, so I didn’t really know what to expect. But I hope to not do it again. It was delayed and we didn’t get our stuff ‘til much later than our window, but we have it now. The Colonial reps were fine, it was the actual moving people that had issues, but nothing huge.

On the delivery end, the guy seemed to be in a big hurry and was not a great communicator. He seemed to be very frustrated with me and I was getting frustrated with him as well. It was strange and awkward. He wanted things done, he wanted to move along, and I just wanted to make sure I was getting all my stuff. They wanted me to sign the paper. They didn’t even care what I was signing for. I asked, “What am I signing?” They said, “You just have to sign it.” I said, “Let me look at it and read it first.” Apparently, I was signing that they have indeed picked up everything that was supposed to go when there was another half a garage full of stuff they were gonna have to come back for. I also filed a claim and I'm just wondering at what point would that be taken care of. They would pay so much per day based on how late the stuff was getting to us and I haven’t heard anything on that.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information