1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

449 Carrier Heating & Cooling Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Don’t waste your money on Carrier Heat Pumps. We purchased two new units 2 years ago and have had more problems than we ever did with the 25 year old units. We have literally had major issues at least 6 times a year and many times the same problems over and over again. Motors going out, circuits burning out, the list goes on. When the warranty is up there will be two very expensive piles of junk sitting alongside our house. Apparently the blower motors are the issue but they are not addressing where they are getting the blower motors.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I bought a Carrier heating and cooling system back in 2010. Had a problem with the condenser freezing up when the weather got cold. Happened several times but was rectified. This year the heat went out. Had the same symptom. The company I bought the Carrier from was no longer in business so called another one that was a Carrier certified. They condemned the unit. Heat exchanger was burnt. These typically should last for 15 years. Only lasted eight and a half years. Getting Carrier will replace the part but the problem is the installation is very expensive. It's like buying an expensive car. All the parts are very expensive and they charge a fortune to install it. Don't be comforted by the warranty. It's worth very little.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Saved to purchase new heat and AC. Bought July 2018. So excited...finally not having to call and have our old heater fixed regularly (GOODMAN). At first it was so quiet, then one month later it is noisier. Okay we're fine with it just nice to have air. Now our troubles begin...HEAT. When we put the heat on for the first time, you have a smell, normal, especially after sitting for a few months, not in use. Our rec. room is downstairs as well is our office. We can smell a chemical/chlorine, gassy smell. Way ahead of you. Called gas company, called installer and checked my monoxide detector. NOTHING. No leaks, they found no odor. Everything is running top notch and fine. Okay, now. We sound crazy but at night, there is a smell of gassy, chlorine, chemical.

I looked online to see if others had this problem and they do... I called Carrier and they offered no solution or tell us what it may be. It is Jan. 24th 2019 and I am typing this review with a smell of gas, chlorine in the air. I feel sick to my stomach and have a headache. We get a sleepy feeling when we shouldn't be tired. We are extremely MAD that this is happening. We have monoxide, gas detectors on all floors, one right next to the unit. We checked this so often, we have a new hobby. Sickening... I wish we never bought this and I wanted my old Goodman back.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Control module replaced twice on three year old unit. Dell air installed it, should of fixed it the right way the first time after reading all these reviews. If I was installing and selling AC units I would not be selling Carrier AC products. I blame all these companies selling Carrier AC products. I think they make a lot of money selling Carrier AC products. Dell told me my part was covered. I just have to pay for labor. Well the control module took me I think 10 minutes to change and Dell charged me 221.00 dollars plus a 79.00 dollar service fee. That aint bad for a ride down from Melbourne Florida to Sebastian and spend maybe an hour total. I will never buy Carrier or deal with DELL AIR again.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I had a Carrier reverse cycle ducted aircon installed when I built my home on 2006. Right from the start I had problems with the unit. The wrong control panel was supplied and installed and had continuous problems with turning it on. Carrier came out numerous times and kept replacing with the same model control panel. One of the many technicians who came out told me that it was a cheaper control panel that was used for the evaporative units. Eventually I turned to the ministry of fair trading who then sorted out the problem. Over the years I have had continuing problems with it and have spents over $2000 having it repaired. It has now broken down again and have been told I’m looking at the minimum of $2800 to have it repaired once again. Based on my experience I would never have a Carrier installed again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My inducer has bad bearings, sounds like a 747 in my home when the furnace fires up. In addition, the evaporator is completely rusted. I have a seven year old system, and the builder did not register the system at install. I contacted Carrier and they basically told me to go fly a kite, even though they say they would have warranted their product had it been registered. The outside compressor is badly weathered, paint is peeling, rusted. The install guy said that although it has a Carrier brand on the outside, they took another system and merely added the Carrier logo to it. So after seven years I'm looking at a replacement of the system. Guess what, it won't be a Carrier.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Had a new Carrier system (AC 24ACB3 & Furnace 59SP5) installed in our home June 2017. After install, we were very disappointed to find that our brand new furnace and AC unit were noisier than our old ones (not sure about energy efficiency yet but it seems that the new Carrier unit runs longer and more often than the old replaced unit). Back to the noise issues: We had Expert Heating & Cooling come back to our house a handful of times to try to determine and fix the excessive noises that were being sent throughout the home. #1. They replaced a portion of the factory AC line with a suction line at the unit. This new line is an eyesore and looks ugly. It did however quiet it down quite a bit (if we had not complained we would've been stuck with the excessively loud noise - now we have an ugly tube at the AC unit).

Our old unit was quiet and not an eyesore #2. The new Carrier thermostat made a loud annoying click that everyone in the living room could hear each time the unit turned on and each time it turned off (our old replaced thermostat was quiet) - the new one was unacceptable. Again, they came out and replaced it with one that doesn't make a loud click. #3. Excessive/continuous blower whining or howling coming from the brand new furnace. This steady whirling whining noise permeates through the entire house and you can hear it at every vent - it's very annoying. They tried to address it numerous times; They slowed down the blower speed but that wasn't the answer. Another time, both Expert and Carrier came out to the house and replaced the blower - - the whistle from the blower was still the same.

Carrier said this is the way the new blower sounds and that we would have to get used to it - (there is NO getting used to it so far). Carrier mentioned that it's possible we could try an older generation blower but we would lose some of the energy efficiencies that we gain on the new one. Carrier also mentioned that they could insulate some of our ducts near the furnace to quiet things down. Today the whistle still exists. So, in summary: we were very very impressed with Expert Heating & Coolings professionalism and customer care. However, we are very disappointed with the Carrier products we received. Please let us know if something can be done (without compromising the efficiencies of our new system) to remove the whistle noise. 12/7/2018 update - Carrier never responded to this note I submitted to them on their website. (and no, this howling noise is not caused by little air leaks or whistles in the air ducts, it's from the motor)

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Never buy Carrier products...Payne, Carrier or Bryant. My first gas furnace failed because of faulty coils after 10 years...seemed reasonable but there was no warranty. Hvac agent put in new coils knowing they were defective and it cost me thousands. Now the new coils have failed. Hvac agent says $17000 to replace. I went with Trane for total $7,800 incl new ac unit. Never buy Carrier products as they lie and won't support clients.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I am appalled at the disgusting products that are sold by one of America's most iconic junk company. The Carrier central AC unit was defective right out of the Box. You would think with the 10 year ironclad warranty policy it would have been an easy fix. Much to my surprise the warranty policy was nothing more than a stone wall policy. Never again I will buy American junk. Think twice if you are considering buying Carrier Products. Carrier will ended up like Sears in a very short time.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

We replaced our old air conditioner in 2015 by a Carrier unit. The blower motor failed and was changed last year (2017). The motor was under warranty at a cost of $450.00. Again this year the blower motor failed and was again replaced at a cost of $420.00. I took the issue with Carrier and was offered no compensation. Stay away from this product.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had 25 year old air conditioner that needed the usual minor repairs every few years, nothing major. My A/C bill was high so I decided to buy a new cost efficient A/C, against several technician's advice. I checked around and was told to by homeowners that Carrier was the one to buy. They've had theirs for 20 years without problems. I bought this one less than 2 years ago and have had service technicians out three times and the blower motor changed last year. This weekend it stopped working again and the technician said I needed a new compressor.

Major repair. $1,200 cost. Called Carrier to complain and all they told me was that parts are free, but labor is not. The parts may be free, but the shipping is not! This is ridiculous! Less than 2 years old and Carrier is not doing anything about it. Back to homeowners that told me to buy a Carrier, they all bought them when they were made in America. Everyone who is having issues, I wager, their A/C was made in Mexico. Coincidence? I think not!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I paid $6500 for a new furnace (59SC5A)/AC in July of 2016. Turned on my furnace on Friday 10/12/18 remotely via wifi thermostat and came home to NO heat. Called after hours service at $145 just to walk in and diagnose the problem. Bad gas valve that they do NOT carry and have to order and I have to PAY for the service call and the labor which is unacceptable. No heat for the next 3-5 days with temps in the 30s and 40s. SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHES AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM CARRIER. The quality is subpar for the premium price and I feel this is just going to be the first of many problems with this junk!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bristol compressor failed 3 times in infinity and Bristol went out of business. Carrier employee did not know anything of this. That they have gone to Copeland compressor. These is not a car with ton of parts. Spent days to get a simple answer!! Carrier they should move to China and not to be selling in the USA!!! Shame they treat Americans like this!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We bought a brand new house in Jensen Beach Fla. in Aug 2015. We keep the AC at 78 degrees and turn it off in the winter. The blower motor fan died on Thursday night. This is just over 3 years. This should not happen. It cost us $125. for the person to walk through the door then $300. to get it fixed even though it is under warranty! Not excitable! Carrier needs to fix this!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Well it's that time of year again when the old AC unit that is only 5 years old fails. You would think spending 6K on a new name brand ac unit would last a few years at least. Once installed the unit lasted about 13 months and the coil leaked inside the house. A new one was installed and Puron re-added and all good, maybe a one off defect right? 4 years later same thing, now the HVAC guys all say it's the fact they used copper and aluminum coils with high pressure Puron, a known failure waiting to happen. The new coil I have coming this week is all aluminum, and it covered under warranty still! But not the 2K plus cost for dyte, Puron, then replacement and yes more Puron! Calling Carrier is a joke, you get top level support that says I need to send an email to the review board. Buy some cheap Chinese AC unit. It will last longer or at least as long.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When the unit arrived from the factory, the plastic door latch was broken. The HVAC installer retained the broken door latch and indicated they'd try to get a replacement. That never happened. When I called Carrier for a replacement part, they indicated they do not ship parts under warranty and told me to go buy the replacement part locally. If they won't honor their warranty with a little plastic part that cost them fifty cents to make, I don't feel they'll be honoring it for large ticket items.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Our Carrier unit was only two years old and we had to have repair techs check out why it wasn't cooling. They found several leaks on the coils. Repaired them and charged us for replacing all the lost refrigerant. Contacted Carrier and told them if their manufacturing was any good we would not have leaks in just two years and they should be responsible for reimbursing us the several hundred dollars we paid out. Go song and dance saying they were not responsible. So since we live in a large community of over 500 homes I posted a nice warning on our Clubhouse Bulletin board telling residents to call me before purchasing a Carrier. Sooo that few hundred dollars they refused to pay is going to cost them thousands in loss of potential customers.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased my house in 2001 and it came with a Trane unit which started to give me issues in 2009. In 2013 I purchased a Carrier unit that has given me issues since before the first year was up. The first service call was before the labor warranty expired but because the unit needed Freon, I had to pay for that and they were back within 2 months and then charged over $1000 which I strongly disputed but still had to pay more than half. That was just the beginning of what has turned out to be the worst purchase I’ve ever made. My unit is not even 6 years old and I’m about to get a 5th compressor.

I’ve reported the issues to Carrier and got a claim number but they will only speak to the technician who is not very good at paperwork. Today he is going to go exchange the compressor and I’ve asked that he request a someone From carrier come out to inspect the unit. I’ve hired an electrician to check to see if he could see from his perspective what could be the cause. I’ve done more than my share and have been way more than patient, but I’ve put thousands of dollars into Freon and labor cost on a unit that if it was a car, it would be called a lemon.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Replaced a working older Goodman with the 2 Ton Carrier. In the last 4 years the Carrier has shut down at least 3+ times, including again last night, in the dead heat of the Florida summer. Today’s repair most like will be a costly blower fan motor, and will spend another day and night without AC in this heat. But will not be the first time. Have spent $$$ in parts repairs, while my neighbor's 14 year old builder's Goodmans are still running fine. I do not feel that I can go on vacation and leave my home because this Carrier has been so unreliable and could freeze up and overflow. Can only wish that I never chose it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I purchased a Carrier Infinity series 5 ton, to replace the prior unit that had been there since the home was built in 2006! $10,000, in cash I paid, and the unit is not even a year old yet. I have replaced the inverter board twice, already! Day before yesterday, the house starts to get rather warm, and I run to the thermostat to see a error code 179, outdoor unit communications failure. I call my installer, and they show up, and after 45 minutes, diagnosed another inverter board failure! Spoke to Carrier on the last board, and they told me to contact my installer, basically, don’t call us, after we sold you a piece of junk!

I’m sorry when I think that an American company, that is supposed to produce and sell you superior products, basically takes an undeserved crap on its consumers and fails to honor and stand behind the products they sell! It is of my sound advice to future customers, don’t purchase anything from a company that won’t stand behind their products, and furthermore, if you wish to relocate outside America, good riddance! I live in Florida, and I have to tell you, it’s hot as balls here, and we are experiencing global warming, despite what that pumpkin face in the White House says!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I purchased two Carrier units at the recommendation of the local service company. 13 months in when it's 105 in Texas the motherboard burned out. The service tech told me it was the 14th board he's had to replace! He also said Carrier won't acknowledge that they have an issue with this specific model. Beyond frustrated!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Purchase a new Carrier A/C unit in April 2018. Nightmare started 3 months later. As of today mid Aug 2018 have had service people out 4 times. Every time it’s something different. When I mentioned I was going into office because we want a new unit. The tech told us that Carrier is known for replacing every single piece but the shell before they replace a unit. Unbelievable. It’s 90 degrees in my upstairs. I cannot believe we are going through this with a brand new AC unit. NEVER AGAIN. PLEASE DO NOT BUY CARRIER. The tech told us, "Your battle is going to be with a multi million dollar company. They don’t care."

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Nothing but trouble with this just 6 year old unit installed in 2012. After thousands in replacement parts and service it still is not cooling my home properly. We bought the home with the system in place and did not have it installed ourselves. So very disappointed in Carrier which I thought built a quality product. Have not contacted the factory but in reading many many reviews just from 2018 it appears that they don’t bother to even stand by their product. Bad, bad business! Be aware—don't purchase the Carrier products! Consumers need to act with their pocketbooks so there are not further rip offs and poor quality products.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was a previous owner of a Carrier Gas Pack HVAC unit when in 2009 we decided to remodel our home. Since the HVAC system was 13 years old we decided to upgrade (??) to the Carrier Infinity Gas Pack. This system has been a nightmare. The 10 year warranty ran out because the registration did not get completed when in 90 days of purchase so that became 5 years. The original purchase of the unit was $6200.00 and since 2009 I have incurred over $4000.00 in parts and labor for circuit board, burners, induction motors and refrigerant. I now am told that I need another circuit board $1100.00 which is not under warranty and the unit is 9 years old. I am sorry that this company has a poor CSI but I will not purchase any more of their equipment. Unfortunately I really like the company that I use to service this piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Two weeks without AC in Las Vegas Nevada. 110 degrees outside. Carrier took over a week and a half to place the order for a new compressor (I'm going through First American Home Warranty) and then delivered the incorrect part!!! Anytime you call them, the wait time exceeds 15-20 minutes before you can speak to someone. They don't offer tracking. They have promised me the part every day for the last week and only tell me that it will arrive that day or the next day. FINALLY ARRIVED A WEEK LATE AND IT'S THE WRONG PART!!! INCOMPETENCE AT THE FINEST LEVEL AT CARRIER AND AMERICA FIRST HOME WARRANTY BOTH!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We moved into our totally new home in September 2015. Today, with temperatures hovering in the mid to high 30's C our air conditioner does not work because the Compressor is faulty and must be replaced. We have already waited for over 1 week (since July 21, 1:00 PM) and are told the part will be here by August 3. The part is covered by Warranty but the labor is not. We are told it will take about 6 hours labor at $88.00/hr and we will have to pay that. Does this sound like a reasonable deal???

Original review: July 31, 2018

Beware that...if you pay good money for a Carrier Extended Warranty...that your contract may say “Carrier Customer Protection Plan” across the top. May show the Carrier logo…and may also show “Carrier Contract Administration Dept. P.O Box 4808, Syracuse, NY 13221 (800) 227-7437. With all that, the Extended Warranty may not be worth the paper it's printed on. It is apparently still a local Dlr that may, or may not choose to enforce it, and provide a part under the warranty. Carrier Corporation, 1800-CARRIER will not be of any help. I have repeatedly tried and provided contract #s and ser. #s. Unfortunately a waste of time and money.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The problem with a Carrier unit is that you cannot buy aftermarket parts. A blower motor will cost $600 from them, but if you could buy an aftermarket blower motor it would be $125. A Carrier circuit board will cost you $550 and an aftermarket for any other A/C unit would cost $50. Another problem is they don't stock anything and you have to order from the factory which take 4 days, because they will not overnight anything. I would buy a Bryant if I was going to do this again, everyone carries their parts and you can have them the same day at a much lower price. Think about going for a week without A/C when it's 115 degrees out, before you buy a Carrier unit. I am going through this right now. It is 8 days later and I still have no A/C.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Built new home in 2012, evaporative coil needs replacing now. The installer never left any owner's manual so I was unaware that the unit needed to be registered to get the 10yr warranty. Contacted Carrier and they basically said, "That's too bad. We can't help you." Almost $2500.00 to buy and install new coil. OUCH. Talked with the installer and he has quit using Carrier equipment due to warranty problems. He now uses American Standard, I will next time too.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The HVAC system was installed, new, in March of 2015. It seems unreasonable that the evaporator coil should fail within three years, but it (and my neighbor's) did after about three years. Sure parts are warranted, but the labor was excessive for the repair. I'd look elsewhere for a good unit if you have the opportunity.

Carrier Heating & Cooling expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

• Best for: homeowners who want to install or replace central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs