1.15/5

439 Carrier Heating & Cooling Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had 25 year old air conditioner that needed the usual minor repairs every few years, nothing major. My A/C bill was high so I decided to buy a new cost efficient A/C, against several technician's advice. I checked around and was told to by homeowners that Carrier was the one to buy. They've had theirs for 20 years without problems. I bought this one less than 2 years ago and have had service technicians out three times and the blower motor changed last year. This weekend it stopped working again and the technician said I needed a new compressor.

Major repair. $1,200 cost. Called Carrier to complain and all they told me was that parts are free, but labor is not. The parts may be free, but the shipping is not! This is ridiculous! Less than 2 years old and Carrier is not doing anything about it. Back to homeowners that told me to buy a Carrier, they all bought them when they were made in America. Everyone who is having issues, I wager, their A/C was made in Mexico. Coincidence? I think not!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I paid $6500 for a new furnace (59SC5A)/AC in July of 2016. Turned on my furnace on Friday 10/12/18 remotely via wifi thermostat and came home to NO heat. Called after hours service at $145 just to walk in and diagnose the problem. Bad gas valve that they do NOT carry and have to order and I have to PAY for the service call and the labor which is unacceptable. No heat for the next 3-5 days with temps in the 30s and 40s. SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHES AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM CARRIER. The quality is subpar for the premium price and I feel this is just going to be the first of many problems with this junk!

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Bristol compressor failed 3 times in infinity and Bristol went out of business. Carrier employee did not know anything of this. That they have gone to Copeland compressor. These is not a car with ton of parts. Spent days to get a simple answer!! Carrier they should move to China and not to be selling in the USA!!! Shame they treat Americans like this!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We bought a brand new house in Jensen Beach Fla. in Aug 2015. We keep the AC at 78 degrees and turn it off in the winter. The blower motor fan died on Thursday night. This is just over 3 years. This should not happen. It cost us $125. for the person to walk through the door then $300. to get it fixed even though it is under warranty! Not excitable! Carrier needs to fix this!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Well it's that time of year again when the old AC unit that is only 5 years old fails. You would think spending 6K on a new name brand ac unit would last a few years at least. Once installed the unit lasted about 13 months and the coil leaked inside the house. A new one was installed and Puron re-added and all good, maybe a one off defect right? 4 years later same thing, now the HVAC guys all say it's the fact they used copper and aluminum coils with high pressure Puron, a known failure waiting to happen. The new coil I have coming this week is all aluminum, and it covered under warranty still! But not the 2K plus cost for dyte, Puron, then replacement and yes more Puron! Calling Carrier is a joke, you get top level support that says I need to send an email to the review board. Buy some cheap Chinese AC unit. It will last longer or at least as long.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When the unit arrived from the factory, the plastic door latch was broken. The HVAC installer retained the broken door latch and indicated they'd try to get a replacement. That never happened. When I called Carrier for a replacement part, they indicated they do not ship parts under warranty and told me to go buy the replacement part locally. If they won't honor their warranty with a little plastic part that cost them fifty cents to make, I don't feel they'll be honoring it for large ticket items.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Our Carrier unit was only two years old and we had to have repair techs check out why it wasn't cooling. They found several leaks on the coils. Repaired them and charged us for replacing all the lost refrigerant. Contacted Carrier and told them if their manufacturing was any good we would not have leaks in just two years and they should be responsible for reimbursing us the several hundred dollars we paid out. Go song and dance saying they were not responsible. So since we live in a large community of over 500 homes I posted a nice warning on our Clubhouse Bulletin board telling residents to call me before purchasing a Carrier. Sooo that few hundred dollars they refused to pay is going to cost them thousands in loss of potential customers.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased my house in 2001 and it came with a Trane unit which started to give me issues in 2009. In 2013 I purchased a Carrier unit that has given me issues since before the first year was up. The first service call was before the labor warranty expired but because the unit needed Freon, I had to pay for that and they were back within 2 months and then charged over $1000 which I strongly disputed but still had to pay more than half. That was just the beginning of what has turned out to be the worst purchase I’ve ever made. My unit is not even 6 years old and I’m about to get a 5th compressor.

I’ve reported the issues to Carrier and got a claim number but they will only speak to the technician who is not very good at paperwork. Today he is going to go exchange the compressor and I’ve asked that he request a someone From carrier come out to inspect the unit. I’ve hired an electrician to check to see if he could see from his perspective what could be the cause. I’ve done more than my share and have been way more than patient, but I’ve put thousands of dollars into Freon and labor cost on a unit that if it was a car, it would be called a lemon.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Replaced a working older Goodman with the 2 Ton Carrier. In the last 4 years the Carrier has shut down at least 3+ times, including again last night, in the dead heat of the Florida summer. Today’s repair most like will be a costly blower fan motor, and will spend another day and night without AC in this heat. But will not be the first time. Have spent $$$ in parts repairs, while my neighbor's 14 year old builder's Goodmans are still running fine. I do not feel that I can go on vacation and leave my home because this Carrier has been so unreliable and could freeze up and overflow. Can only wish that I never chose it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I purchased a Carrier Infinity series 5 ton, to replace the prior unit that had been there since the home was built in 2006! $10,000, in cash I paid, and the unit is not even a year old yet. I have replaced the inverter board twice, already! Day before yesterday, the house starts to get rather warm, and I run to the thermostat to see a error code 179, outdoor unit communications failure. I call my installer, and they show up, and after 45 minutes, diagnosed another inverter board failure! Spoke to Carrier on the last board, and they told me to contact my installer, basically, don’t call us, after we sold you a piece of junk!

I’m sorry when I think that an American company, that is supposed to produce and sell you superior products, basically takes an undeserved crap on its consumers and fails to honor and stand behind the products they sell! It is of my sound advice to future customers, don’t purchase anything from a company that won’t stand behind their products, and furthermore, if you wish to relocate outside America, good riddance! I live in Florida, and I have to tell you, it’s hot as balls here, and we are experiencing global warming, despite what that pumpkin face in the White House says!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I purchased two Carrier units at the recommendation of the local service company. 13 months in when it's 105 in Texas the motherboard burned out. The service tech told me it was the 14th board he's had to replace! He also said Carrier won't acknowledge that they have an issue with this specific model. Beyond frustrated!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Purchase a new Carrier A/C unit in April 2018. Nightmare started 3 months later. As of today mid Aug 2018 have had service people out 4 times. Every time it’s something different. When I mentioned I was going into office because we want a new unit. The tech told us that Carrier is known for replacing every single piece but the shell before they replace a unit. Unbelievable. It’s 90 degrees in my upstairs. I cannot believe we are going through this with a brand new AC unit. NEVER AGAIN. PLEASE DO NOT BUY CARRIER. The tech told us, "Your battle is going to be with a multi million dollar company. They don’t care."

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Nothing but trouble with this just 6 year old unit installed in 2012. After thousands in replacement parts and service it still is not cooling my home properly. We bought the home with the system in place and did not have it installed ourselves. So very disappointed in Carrier which I thought built a quality product. Have not contacted the factory but in reading many many reviews just from 2018 it appears that they don’t bother to even stand by their product. Bad, bad business! Be aware—don't purchase the Carrier products! Consumers need to act with their pocketbooks so there are not further rip offs and poor quality products.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was a previous owner of a Carrier Gas Pack HVAC unit when in 2009 we decided to remodel our home. Since the HVAC system was 13 years old we decided to upgrade (??) to the Carrier Infinity Gas Pack. This system has been a nightmare. The 10 year warranty ran out because the registration did not get completed when in 90 days of purchase so that became 5 years. The original purchase of the unit was $6200.00 and since 2009 I have incurred over $4000.00 in parts and labor for circuit board, burners, induction motors and refrigerant. I now am told that I need another circuit board $1100.00 which is not under warranty and the unit is 9 years old. I am sorry that this company has a poor CSI but I will not purchase any more of their equipment. Unfortunately I really like the company that I use to service this piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Two weeks without AC in Las Vegas Nevada. 110 degrees outside. Carrier took over a week and a half to place the order for a new compressor (I'm going through First American Home Warranty) and then delivered the incorrect part!!! Anytime you call them, the wait time exceeds 15-20 minutes before you can speak to someone. They don't offer tracking. They have promised me the part every day for the last week and only tell me that it will arrive that day or the next day. FINALLY ARRIVED A WEEK LATE AND IT'S THE WRONG PART!!! INCOMPETENCE AT THE FINEST LEVEL AT CARRIER AND AMERICA FIRST HOME WARRANTY BOTH!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We moved into our totally new home in September 2015. Today, with temperatures hovering in the mid to high 30's C our air conditioner does not work because the Compressor is faulty and must be replaced. We have already waited for over 1 week (since July 21, 1:00 PM) and are told the part will be here by August 3. The part is covered by Warranty but the labor is not. We are told it will take about 6 hours labor at $88.00/hr and we will have to pay that. Does this sound like a reasonable deal???

Original review: July 31, 2018

Beware that...if you pay good money for a Carrier Extended Warranty...that your contract may say “Carrier Customer Protection Plan” across the top. May show the Carrier logo…and may also show “Carrier Contract Administration Dept. P.O Box 4808, Syracuse, NY 13221 (800) 227-7437. With all that, the Extended Warranty may not be worth the paper it's printed on. It is apparently still a local Dlr that may, or may not choose to enforce it, and provide a part under the warranty. Carrier Corporation, 1800-CARRIER will not be of any help. I have repeatedly tried and provided contract #s and ser. #s. Unfortunately a waste of time and money.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The problem with a Carrier unit is that you cannot buy aftermarket parts. A blower motor will cost $600 from them, but if you could buy an aftermarket blower motor it would be $125. A Carrier circuit board will cost you $550 and an aftermarket for any other A/C unit would cost $50. Another problem is they don't stock anything and you have to order from the factory which take 4 days, because they will not overnight anything. I would buy a Bryant if I was going to do this again, everyone carries their parts and you can have them the same day at a much lower price. Think about going for a week without A/C when it's 115 degrees out, before you buy a Carrier unit. I am going through this right now. It is 8 days later and I still have no A/C.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Built new home in 2012, evaporative coil needs replacing now. The installer never left any owner's manual so I was unaware that the unit needed to be registered to get the 10yr warranty. Contacted Carrier and they basically said, "That's too bad. We can't help you." Almost $2500.00 to buy and install new coil. OUCH. Talked with the installer and he has quit using Carrier equipment due to warranty problems. He now uses American Standard, I will next time too.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The HVAC system was installed, new, in March of 2015. It seems unreasonable that the evaporator coil should fail within three years, but it (and my neighbor's) did after about three years. Sure parts are warranted, but the labor was excessive for the repair. I'd look elsewhere for a good unit if you have the opportunity.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought my heating and air conditioner on 7/18/16. On 6/24/18, the compressor stopped working and the tech found that the plug and compressor had melted. Although the compressor was covered, my bill was $734. The $4070 Carrier unit did not even work for two years. I think since it was Carrier's fault their unit was at fault that they should have been responsible for the bill since the compressor has a warranty for ten years and didn't even last for two years. They should have at least been responsible for the freon that the unit lost because of their inferior product. I will never buy another Carrier product!

Original review: July 4, 2018

In 2010 we decided to go with a geothermal unit in our new construction home. We purchased a Carrier GT 4 ton unit, which we later found out was a ClimateMaster. After 8 years of various service calls, I can say, with confidence, it's not saved us the money we thought we were going to save even though the parts are still covered under 10 yr warranty. The unit had many parts that were known to have issues and still yet the company installed this unit knowing we were going to have problems down the road.

We went on our beliefs that Carrier was a respected brand in Geothermal units. I still believe geothermal is the way to go but I wouldn't trust Carrier as a provider for any heating or cooling units for your home at this time. When we would call Carrier about warranty repairs they would give us the runaround. Finally, Carrier ask us not to contact them anymore and directed us to work with ClimateMaster. ClimateMaster's field service providers in our area are very expensive for labor cost.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We purchased a brand new home from DR Horton in August 2012. They installed Carrier A/C model #FB4CNF642. This unit is a piece of garbage! We had to strong arm the original installer into honoring the warranty. So far we've spent >$1500 on a new capacitor, fan blower and freon leak. Unit continues to freeze up. Once we get it going again, it keeps running and won't shut off. The unit is broken again. Needless to say we are at our wit's end. Yippie, Carrier decided to keep manufacturing in the US. THEY SUCK! DO NOT BUY CARRIER. They are not what they were years ago.

Original review: June 25, 2018

When the President moved to save Carrier jobs, I initially was pleased, as Carrier was the HVAC that came with our home. That system worked fine for 22-plus years and was not new when we moved in. Last year we finally had to replace it and went with Carrier based on past performance. What a HUGE MISTAKE! It's had one heating repair and now we are in the process of a second cooling repair and it's brand new. Since the install, our energy bills consistently have been higher than most of our neighbors. When the heat kicks on, it sounds as if a dragon lives in our basement, making the former home office down there unusable. Apparently the old systems had some sort of inner shield that reduced such noise. Why would Carrier have removed this?? The tech says the culprit for our cooling woes is an expansion valve which tends to stick. Apparently many consumers have this problem with the new Carrier units.

The lines were flushed a few weeks ago to try and correct this valve issue. Here it is, just a few weeks later, and the SAME PROBLEM occurs. While waiting for the repair tech, we've suffered in a hot house and have water from frozen and leaking pipes damaging the newly-painted basement floor. Carrier apparently does not like to send replacement parts until the techs jump through many hoops. I thought I'd researched brands, but I guess I was basing my decision on Carrier's old reputation. Now we are stuck with an expensive new system that is faulty. It does not cool or heat our home as well as the old Carrier system, and now I'm told by several techs that we "should have gone with a Goodman." This is unacceptable. Carrier needs to fix its issues and replace those defective parts at no cost to the consumer and stop using delay tactics to get parts that work to the techs in a timely manner. Better yet -- build the system correctly the first time!

Original review: June 25, 2018

This complaint is similar to "Lori of Orlando FL." We have a house that’s only 4 years old and have had our AC stop working at least 4 times. We have a 2 story home with a single unit damper system with two thermostats. The main unit freezes up because the damper system doesn't seem to behave properly, precluding return of hot air to the coils. Three repairs have cost nearly $1000 despite warranty! And it's out again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Carrier A/C warranties are a fraud. When I bought my house from the seller that had the unit installed I was represented that the unit was covered under a 10 year parts and labour warranty. When the unit recently broke down the service company told me that my warranty had expired, even though it was still within the 10 year install period. When I questioned them how this could be so, I was told that the Carrier warranty expires early when an ownership change. When I called Carrier and questioned the representative, he took note, but refused to answer any questions, insisting that the unit was out of warranty. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he essentially send me to the undesired customer sinkhole. Clearly, Carrier cares zippo for customer care, or rather they care zippo for customers. DONT PURCHASE ANY PRODUCTS FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought my home brand new in 12/10. I also have the extended 10 year warranty. In the time that I have lived here I've had AC techs out on 9 different occasions. Replaced blower motor, thermostat & evaporator coils on both units. Due to this we have them serviced quarterly, which has not made much difference. I keep the filters changed, system cleaned. It's just one thing after the other. While the parts are covered by the warranty the labor is not. To date I have spent an estimated $3k on repairs/replacements for a unit installed in a brand new home December 2010. This is beyond ridiculous. Prior to this I owned a condo that was well over 20 years old, original unit, rarely had an issue that wasn't general maintenance or Freon related. These units are garbage! It's more than irritating when I have to consider replacing two systems in my home that AREN'T EVEN OUT OF WARRANTY YET! Garbage products! Made to break!

Original review: May 24, 2018

The ac unit is 2 years old. Have had problems with it since the company of ACS first installed this garbage for over a year. When they have came out they kept claiming it was a dirty filter. This time I showed them the receipt that it was just put in. It was a TXV valve that has prob been broke since they put it in. It has a 10 year warranty on parts but the company still wants to charge 65 dollars on the part as warranty and 35 dollars to ship it to the local dealer on top of what the repair is. I would not buy this product if my life depended on it again and also contacting the BBB due to I think they are a fraud.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My 4-ton 14-seer Sentry compressor 'exploded' & blew the terminal cap off damaging the wire harness. We closed on the home just over 1 year earlier (new construction from Savvy Homes). Even though the parts were covered under warranty (numerous failures have been reported with the LG compressor), Carrier refused to replace or even assist with labor cost. Imagine getting hit with a $2200 repair bill on an HVAC unit that was just over 1 year old. Terrible, terrible customer service.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Had a new Carrier furnace and A/C installed in August 2013. It totally worked fine until last summer. After several visits by several technicians they replaced a low pressure switch and a coil in the inside unit. Last occurred last fall. I turn the unit on the spring and no A/C. Called the company that installed it since it is still under the 5 year labor 10 year parts warranty. It required 2 lbs of Puron. They never checked for a leak but recommended I have a nitrogen test that would cost me $800.00. I asked why I have to pay for a leak test under warranty. The tech told me that it is not covered under warranty. So they will continue to put Freon in until it goes out of warranty in August then it is all on me. A wasted 9k. Never ever buy or recommend Carrier products to anyone.

Carrier Heating & Cooling expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

• Best for: homeowners who want to install or replace central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs