Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Carrier Heating & Cooling Reviews

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Coil on my 10 years old Carrier A/C failed and it took 6 months to get the parts in (special order from CHINA)... And Twice they sent the wrong ones! Even the Technician at their Head office in Florida couldn't tell us (didn't know) what was wrong with my A/C (so thermostat had to be changed-no warranty). Then their Public relation person blamed me and my service man for the delay; saying it was a quote I asked for, not an order I had put in...which is not true because I was standing there for the approval when my service man ordered the parts over the phone, 6 months ago! Stay away from Carrier. They will let you down and blame you for it. Richard in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

2017 AC Bad Condensor Coil after 1.5 years. Model 24abc636a300. $500 to find leak & add 3 pounds of Freon. $1500 to remove outside unit (take back to Carrier) & install new one. Several leaks on Cond. coils at welds & Baffle plate. Also they don't even install low pressure switches to protect the compressor. These are the notes from AC Tech: Found unit to have small leak in condenser coil. Appears to be in between header plate and coil making it difficult to bubble test. However video indicates a leak with electronic leak detector. Customer not interested in replacing coil under warranty at this time. Customer only wanted to charge unit. Leak will only worsen and refrigerant will leak out again and with no high or low pressure switches compressor damage could occur if unit continues to run with no refrigerant. Unit also has 45+5 mfd battery pack weak and customer declined replacing under warranty as well.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

About 10 years ago we replaced our central A/C unit that had stopped cooling after 26 years w/o a failure or service call. As many friends were using Carrier units (2-speed compressors, VS evaporator fan motors) we decided to give it a try. I did know that the earlier units had problems with VS motors but the efficiency and lack of noise was attractive.

Fast forward 10 years. Our 10 year parts and labor warranty is about to expire. We got our monies worth. The evaporator fan motor is our 3rd! About every 2-3 years the VS motor just stops. It has gotten to the point that I have the blower unit out of the A/C unit for the Tech. I just hand it to him, he swaps out the motor, and I re-install. Easy when the $700-$1000 motor is covered by warranty. THIS EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR IS A DESIGN DEFFECT AND SHOULD BE FIXED BY CARRIER. I've checked with my friends with newer units. 100% failure rate in less than 4 years. Carrier knows of the problem. I've been told they collect the motors for an autopsy. Good Luck.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

We built a new home with Schalmo Builders (Canal Fulton, OH) three years ago. We trusted their expertise in selecting a quality, reliable HVAC system for us. They chose a Carrier unit, and it’s been nothing but constant problems, breakdowns, costly service calls (with no resolution), run-around answers, fights & battles, hot summers with NO AIR, and winters with unbelievable heating bills due to our Carrier unit’s inability to properly switch from standard heat to very expensive “emergency heat.” Our condenser was replaced after less than one year. We’ve had more than a dozen service calls on the unit during the past three years.

We are currently waiting for a replacement blower motor that has been on order for weeks now and is not due to arrive until mid October. We’ve been without air the entire summer (2019) due to our unit constantly blowing fuses. We’ve paid $600 in labor to replace all different kinds of Carrier parts that did not fix the issue. We have a parts warranty which is a joke because of expensive labor costs to fix a unit that is only three years old. Our builder will not admit that they gave us a terrible HVAC unit that we will most likely need to replace, saying their hands are tied. That’s reputable. BUYER BEWARE of complete junk Carrier units!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I replaced my old unit that was 40 years old but still worked fine except it sounded like broken down jet airplane when it was on with a brand new top of the line carrier unit. That was about 8 years ago. It cost $12,000 to replace our old unit with the brand new "best money could buy" Carrier. The AC is beyond awful -- I wish I had my old noisy unit back. The Carrier works great when it is between 73 and 80 degrees outside -- most of the time. It even quits then sometimes. But when the outside temps hit 80 my Carrier AC just spits out hot air --- making it hotter indoors than out. It has done this since day one.

It isn't worth 2 cents much less the many thousands I got bamboozled out of -- Also, filters are a pain to clean/change and it requires the most expensive UV light available for the filter once a year. Get anything else besides Carrier -- keep your old unit. Wish I had. PS - I live in So Cal on the coast - it is mostly 65 to 75 here all the time. So, it isn't an overuse problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

We just purchased a new home by DR Horton. The AC unit compressor sounds like death when shutting down. The unit is located right outside our master bedroom. It makes a loud bang each time it powers down. Love hearing this while we sleep!!! The company needs to replace the compressor!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

The worst product ever used. Something on the furnace broke and it shredded items in house, endangering human life. The absolute worst furnace ever used. The furnace shredded and burnt stuff in the house. Poor quality product. It happened about 3 years of using it, and then something on the furnace broke, leaking water everywhere. This is a Carrier furnace that uses a boiler. After fixing the water leakage. It started to shred items in the house, causing excruciating pains and sufferings. Please everyone with similar problems with Carrier furnace, should start a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We had 2 Carrier systems go bad within 30 days of each other. Called Carrier for assistance, was given a case number and asked that my AC tech would call the local distributor. If faulty equipment was found, I was told I'd be compensated by Carrier. My helpful AC tech could never get to a live person so I called back the home office to be told that no one should have told me that info, they would do NOTHING! I got upset and she hung up on me! If I could leave less than one star, I would!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Lakewood Furnace, Lakewood, Ohio & Carrier Greenspeed Heat Pump. Carrier is Awful. Stay away. So bad, it’s criminal. Installed a very expensive top of the line Carrier heat pump - it was defective from day one. No air flow or humidity control. Carrier, as well as, the Authorized Carrier Dealer/Owner and techs could care less to help or troubleshoot in any way - they don't respond to emails or letters or calls. This is a very bad company. I have spent over 60 days so far trying to get this heat pump fixed. The dealer/owner is a "walk away guy" - wants to install pricey equipment and if anything goes wrong threatens you with lawsuit to pay. I have never, ever, experienced such a bad company and bad people. One tech said, "You can call me 100 times but I'm not gonna fix your heat pump." And "just buy floor fans". That should work. Unreal - spare yourself this stress and use a reputable company.

After calling, writing, emailing everyday for over 60 days, corporate Carrier has been of no help to me and the local dealer/installer is worse. Carrier only cares about sales and protects its rogue dealers - customers mean nothing. My home is being damaged everyday - no cooling, no heat, high humidity (mold) and no airflow or ventilation. 60 days of no action, I worry about when winter comes with no heat.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We built a new home with our builder using Carrier for the HVAC system. After 5 1/2 years of use we had to replace both the outside and inside units, their warranty is 5 years. I have owned many homes and have never had as many problems with a unit. Their customer service was also unhelpful. I would never install or buy a home with a Carrier system.

Carrier Heating & Cooling expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

• Best for: homeowners who want to install or replace central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs