1.20/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Carrier Heating & Cooling

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

397 Carrier Heating & Cooling Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Tom of Winter Garden, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We bought our Central Florida house over 15 years ago. It came with two Carrier units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I can tell you that as long as you service these bad boys and stay on top of them they will beat the heat. They survived countless hurricanes and just nasty nasty heat. To date I have put probably close to $800 in parts but don't forget I have two. So this week we will be replacing them with two 15 SEER Carrier Home Comfort systems. Looking forward to the upgrade and the hi-tech thermostats.

Brick of Trappe, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Want to risk dying from Carbon Monoxide poisoning? If you do not, then stay away from Carrier. Our Carrier heat exchanger failed and it turns out this is a very common thing FOR CARRIER, so common that there was a class action suit that saw Carrier doubling the warranty from 20-40 years, but unfortunately NOT issuing a recall, putting Carrier customers like me in the worst possible risk: death.

Murphy's Law: the KNOWN DEFECTS of our Carrier unit caused it to die during the coldest week of the year. A professional came out and informed us of the following: The safe max level of CO is 70 PPM. The max that should ever be measured in the exhaust port is 3,000 PPM. Ours was at 11,000 PPM. If that had backed into the central ventilation unit, even our CO detector would not have gotten us or our pets out safely, as exposure to that concentration immediately causes death.

The unit had to be shut down and I had to take time off from work and buy space heaters to keep the pipes and us from freezing. Our electric bill obviously skyrocketed and where the unit has been replaced with a new one, what was Carrier's response? "Yeah, and, what do you want us to do? There's no recall so we're not responsible." Wait. Carrier's known faulty equipment was subject to a class action suit. Carrier's known faulty equipment spewed out fatal amounts of carbon monoxide from which we could have died. Carrier's known faulty equipment has cost me an additional $1,000. And Carrier doesn't care about Carrier's known faulty equipment and its impact to customers? Want to risk dying from Carbon Monoxide poisoning? If you do not, then stay away from Carrier.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
kim of Summerville, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased my home brand new. The very 1st year had problems with HVAC unit all told every year for the past 7 yrs I've owned this home I have had to have repairs done to unit. Why is there no accountability from the company for such poor work.

Mindy of East Greenbush, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

New Carrier Infinity Heater and central air system - Concerned product needs to be recalled since initial install issues have occurred. The outdoor unit needed to be sent back on install. Then the inside unit needed to be sent back a few weeks later. 1 Year later in 9-degree weather with no warning from the Infinity app the inside of the unit clogged and now needs replacing again. Carrier is not available on Sundays so if you need any replacement you need 2 days.

I had a perfect functioning electric unit that was replaced for cost and energy reasons, I have thousands in now in back up portable a/c's and heating units since I've lost faith. It's worrisome that the inside of the unit looks like it burned and if the house didn't drop 10 degrees while I was home we may have had more than 1 frozen pipe. Today I am going to try to get Polsinello to quickly get another one order since the service tech stated it's not fixable after charging us 270.00. The install cost 10,000.

Diane of Lake Worth, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I bought the most expensive AC system on the market two years ago from Carrier via an AC company in Delray Beach Florida. Within six months the door was broken, the compressor broke, it needed two new motors within 2 years and the coils had to be cleaned. I purchased a very expensive filtration system and the filters are always filled with mold and the unit keeps breaking down. CAN WE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER? When I called Carrier they would not speak to me. The thermostat does not work well and is very complicated and there is no manual. They told me to go online. Really for $6,300 I need to go online. What can we do? I was told to replace the motor with NON Carrier Motor but am concerned about that as well. Your thoughts? Is there a lawyer out there to HELP?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

John of Dubuque, IA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Carrier at Home. I'm a 100% disabled veteran and a senior citizen. A faulty heat exchanger resulted in a mandatory disconnection and no heat for 5 days. Carrier Corporate validated my warranty: replace and install part or discount on new furnace. Dealer said 3-day minimum wait if part available to ship over weekend. We opted for a new furnace as 5 days without heat was enough. Carrier found a warranty loophole: "You didn't ask our permission first before you took the discount option." Discount denied. Carrier: "Our core values define who we are and guide every decision we make."

Jean of Northville, MI Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We purchased two Carrier Infinity furnaces 6.5 years ago. Serial number 0711A033962 and 5110A03655. Cappy Heating and Air Conditioning installed them. We selected these because we believed they were the best furnaces. About five years into the life of the furnace one controller failed. Cappy replaced those. ($1000+). Now after 6.5 years the primary and secondary heat exchangers need to be replaced on both units! (My cost will be over $1,000.) We replace our air filters every 6 months so it wasn't poor airflow. It was poor workmanship.

I expected Carrier to be a reputable caring company. Nope. They are covering part of the labor on the secondary but not the primary. Really! Where is the logic there? When I spoke to Diane in the Carrier's claims department, she stuck with the policy. Might as well just talk to a robot. Conclusion, Carrier's best furnace is of poor quality & controllers are poor quality. Nobody's perfect, however, I expected they would own up to it. Nope, support is poor quality too. Very disappointing.

Ken of Savannah, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had two Carrier heat pump system installed in my home in southern Georgia 3 1/2 years ago. Since then I have had to have a service person visit 5 times. Today will be the 6th. The first year there was a full coverage so no real problem. After year one it's just parts. Today the service company will be replacing the indoor coil on one of the units. The cost to me will be over $800. In the past they replaced a fan motor, a capacitor, twice, made two service calls to repair a electrical short that occurred in the same place inside each unit, though 3 months apart. Byrd Heating and air did the installation and service and they are great. The rest of this write up is my opinion...

The problem is the Carrier products are junk. And it hurts me to say that because I lived in Syracuse for most of my life. Carrier was headquartered in Syracuse until they were purchased by United Technologies. They were a great company then, and very very proud of their quality. Something like I am experiencing would never happen, and if it did they would have a factory guy at your door to make it right.

Mary of Midlothian, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Purchased a home Aug 2014 that was built in 2003. We have a total of 3 HVAC units. 1 Carrier upstairs and downstairs, both manufactured 2011 and 1 Goodman original to the house. The Carrier unit upstairs has a leaking coil inside. Estimate $1500 to replace. 6 years for a coil to go bad is terrible. I have read that Canada has a countrywide class action against Carrier for this very reason. Why not in the U.S.?

Patricia of Miami, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We just purchased the Carrier #fb4cnp060L00aeaa, we have paid the tech to fix the unit. 1st- there was a leak, 2nd- unit not turning off, 3rd- unit just blowing air. Our previous unit lasted 15 years without a problem, we purchased a brand name and we got a lemon and nobody is doing anything about it.

Shae of Dallas, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

When I bought Carrier I bought 3 tons heat pumps. Carrier decided to change their world class heat pump for a “shell” pump on my models, which I had 12 visits in two years, they covered in warranty one heat pump, and installed the original old style. Now I have 2 pumps not work, and 3 ($1000) thermostats out-of-warranty. This purchase was horrible, all the carrier dealers stat oh... you bought that year... you're screwed.

David of Kansas City, MO Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

When we originally had this HVAC solution installed in our home, we had high hopes and expectations. Unfortunately, in our experience, the system has extreme reliability issues. Original installation: Mid to late Spring of 2013 (retrofitted in home built in 1998). Installer: AB **(Kansas City area). FIRST REPAIR CALL: Initial furnace startup failure in the Fall of 2013 - Swapped out the main circuit card. No cost to us as labor was still covered under AB May warranty.

SECOND REPAIR CALL: Second cooling system startup failure in the Spring of 2014 Performed some airflow adjustments and modified installation of ducting to suck from interior air. Reportedly, the ducting route was too long for use on the intake side We were not charged for any parts or labor as labor warranty was right at the end of coverage period. THIRD REPAIR CALL: Initial furnace startup failure in October of 2017 - Swapped out the motor. Parts covered under warranty, but not locally stocked. This resulted in $$$ for two service calls: Troubleshoot issue. Replace part and test system. This was in addition to several days of burning a gas fireplace with fans.

The good: When the system is working, we have experienced much more even heating and cooling throughout our lofted, multi-level home with about the same or slightly lower energy usage. The 10 year factory parts warranty has saved us thousands of dollars on the replacement of the high tech components. The bad: With 3 failures in 5 tries, I have little confidence in the ability of this system to start up during season changes. Repairs have taken hundreds of dollars out of my pocket and if not for Carrier's 10 year parts warranty, we would be out thousands of dollars. Where's the efficiency in that? I could have kept my old 80% builder grade furnace for the past 4.5 years and still be ahead of the total cost of ownership for this new "high-efficiency" model.

Summary: As of this writing, our experience dictates that we would NOT recommend this unit. The "reliability" of the system is more like a year 1/Version 1.0 product, not year 3 (model was apparently introduced in 2011). Carrier, you have significant work to do before I change my feelings about your product line based upon this experience. In fact, if this unit costs me another repair service call before 2030, I will cut my losses by scrapping the whole thing in favor of a different manufacturer.

Lisa of Madison, AL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I built a home in 2011 with a Carrier 48ES heating/cooling unit. By 2017 the unit's heater exchanger tubes are completely rusted and the unit must be replaced for a price of over $6000! I find it interesting that Carrier's warranty only covers the unit for 5 years.

Phil of Washington, IL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

7 year old Carrier furnace. Fired up the furnace this morning and a terrible screech from the inducer motor/blower. Figured the bearing failed, but hey, it can happen. Then the repairman came and said they had to replace the inducer assembly and get this, OVER $1000 for the job! This is absolutely unacceptable predatory pricing. I either replace the furnace with a better brand (Goodman) or I bite the bullet and pay the ransom for this Carrier. I'll never buy another Carrier furnace.

Robert of Lowell, OR Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

So, we had a new home built and our contractor highly recommended a Carrier HVAC system, and we bit. Four years later, a coil is leaking. We pay to add extra coolant as well as dye to verify leak. Upon verification, we had to have the coil replaced. Okay, part fail, and the company replaced the part. But, we were charged for the labor to replace it! WTH? It's a defective part. Why should we bear the burden for replacement?!? I wrote to Carrier (Bryant) and got a terse response regarding their "limited" warranty. No, not good enough!! I wrote back and let them know my feelings as well as my plan to share my experience with as many other who would listen.

I have read so many accounts of similar experiences with Carrier: they replace the part that failed but do not reimburse the labor (which is often more than the part!). This is NOT acceptable and we need to mobilize to make manufacturers like this more responsive to consumers. Continue to share your stories and write to Bryant. We also need to contact our elected officials to develop legislation that will better protect us. Good luck to all!

Steven of Lacombe, LA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Over the past 4 years I have had to replace the blower module on my heat pump 4 times. The latest module is attached to the blower motor which costs me $1400.00. Does Carrier care at all about it’s reputation and it's customers or are they out to make a fast buck off of selling parts? I am a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran and simply cannot afford to replace the same part every year at a cost of $1,000.00+! Carrier needs to stand up and make their product better instead making them to fail as soon as the warranty expires.

Andrew of Hilton Head, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Purchased CARRIER ocean environment, 17.5 SEER Heat Pumps and air handlers for new home. During annual maintenance of my 4 systems, it was determined that one subject unit had leaked all refrigerant. Had to refill at a cost of $550. Maintenance company ordered a new coil under warranty. It took 5 weeks to deliver. Another $500 of refrigerant and $700 in labor was required to make the repair. CARRIER had a known problem with the coils. The lack of stock and the long fulfillment time are logically related. Several false ship promises further belie this contention. Carrier should have made me whole for all expenses. They did not exhibiting lack of concern for the customer and their brand.

Vishul of Jaipur, Other Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I had complaint Carrier for my split ac (1.5ton), this is my fourth complaint for your product. Last complaint was lodged for NOISE OCCUR IN SWING FLAP. Which was done by your engineer Mr. ** who had broken the swing flap and on the same day, when I switch on my air conditioner the swinging flap is not moving, and on the next day I again complain your carrier, then again Mr. ** come from your side as an engineer and said that it is broken by you, and you have to pay for this.

Tell me why should I try to repair the air conditioner and why should I touch when you are providing services for your product, when the product is under warranty

or why should I touch I am not a technician of air conditioner. This part was totally checked and repaired by your employee and now today he is saying that you have broken the part and you have to pay for that.

Carrie of Austin, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Not only have I had to replace the compressor, I've had the techs out 3 times over the past 3 years because it wasn't cooling properly. Now, I'm told that the TXV needs to be replaced. I've spent over $2,000 in 4 years on this piece of crap. Where is the #Carrierlawsuit?

Steve of Rosenberg, TX Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Purchased a new Perry Home in The Oaks of Rosenberg located in Rosenberg, TX October 2011. Airtron Heating and Air Conditioning installed the unit for the builder. In August 2017 we had a 15 point inspection performed by Airtron Heating and Air Conditioning. After the inspection, we were informed there was a leak in the evaporator coil. The technician inquired about which warranty we had the 5 year or 10 year? The technician informed us after checking with his office that we only had the 5 year warranty, but that if we would have registered the unit online with Carrier we would have gotten an additional 5 year warranty from Carrier.

Unfortunately we were not informed by anybody to register the unit online with Carrier to get the additional 5 year warranty. I checked with several of my neighbors to find out if they were informed, and they like us had no knowledge of this additional warranty opportunity. I contacted Carrier and I was rudely told that it was my fault because I should have gone online and checked out the warranty myself. I was very disappointed with the explanation I was given by Carrier. I am hoping to alert future Carrier owners about this additional warranty opportunity that unfortunately I was not made aware of by the builder or the company who installed the unit.

A. K. of Fern Creek, KY Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I called Carrier customer service last year with a valid claim because my outside fan unit on my AC completely rusted out and I was told that Carrier would not replace it. The unit is 4 yrs old on a new home. Meanwhile my neighbor had the same issue with a 5 yr old home and Carrier replaced it. Unbelievable.

Bill of Hull, GA Verified Buyer
Original review: July 24, 2017

I worked in industrial HVAC for over 30 years. We purchased a home that had a 2012 Carrier air handler model # FX4DNF037 and Bryant Condenser. I replaced the condenser motor and cap on a unit that was placed into service 6/29/2012 on July 22/2017. After a storm blew through Sunday evening the evaporator fan blew up on start up. I called Carrier and it only has a 5 yr warranty, I was told sorry have a nice day. This is BS to have a unit 5 yrs old lose 2 motors. Not to mention the cost of the Xm evaporator motor is several hundred dollars.

These new motors does not have cost savings the consumer is told they do. If a motor replacement is $400 @ 5yrs then you will never see a return on investment, energy savings. Total junk. I suggest people install a regular 1/2 hp motor with a fan relay at half the installation cost. I've worked on hundreds of Carrier, Trane & York units from 1/2ton window units up to several thousand ton chillers. I've even been to the Carrier training facility is Syracuse NY.

As a Retired licensed stationary engr. we started noticing the lack of repairability in the 90's on all refrigeration and motor control units. Once the energy craze took off cooling units (all motors/controls etc) became electronic nightmares. The consumer is being fleeced as some contractors are charging 1000$ to replace a motor and capacitor, board whatever part they think might be bad because these units can't be properly diagnosed once a internal part goes bad. 5 yrs in and I'm looking at just under a 1000$ in repairs for a 4000$ unit. All energy money savings is lost on repairs. I use to work on units that were 20-30 years old and were still operating with minimal repairs.

Ed of Mint Hill, NC Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 21, 2017

Carrier put in in 2015. 30 days later TXV was bad. Put a special oil to unstick valve. NO GO. Had to put in another txv. It worked 30 days and stopped. The company in Charlotte put in an Aspen coil at their own cost. It's worked now for 4 months. Glad because it's 97 degrees today. Way to go B&E. The installer says to buy anything but a Carrier.

Simon of Plano, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 20, 2017

In 2011, I installed a 5 ton Payne outdoor unit. The contractor told me that Payne had a promotion for 10-year limited warranty if I registered the unit on their website. I did register the unit and print out the registration with 10-year limited certificate. My AC died last month and I called Payne customer relation line. They said that my unit was 5-year warranty and asked me to email the 10-year certificate. They responded that my unit is with R22 Freon and was only eligible for 5-year warranty. My experience proved that Payne would try every way to void their warranty (R22 in my case).

John of Plano, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 19, 2017

I have had a Carrier Infinity system for 10 years. Within 3 years the compressor went out. A few years later we had a freeze and the heat pump turned on the outside unit breaking the fan. Carrier refused to cover. A year ago the compressor went out again. Carrier was willing to cover the compressor under a 10 year warranty, but not labor. My contract stated parts and labor. They later, after much negotiation, agreed to replace the condenser (including compressor) for $2500 and would extend a new warranty for 10 years parts and labor. Now the unit dies and it's a circuit board. After replacing the unit would not come on again. It took 7 hours on the phone between the tech and Carrier to get it running again. Carrier support was reading a manual to help the tech figure out the problem. Their service even to a technician is a joke. I will never own another Carrier.

Craig of Bradenton, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 17, 2017

Our unit is now 12 years old, the amount of repairs we have done to the unit, we could have replaced it with a quality Trane system three time over. A year into the system, our air handler developed a small leak losing Freon, under warranty, but labor with Custom Air of Florida cost over $700. Variable speed motor was replace three times costing us over $3000. Replaced capacitors every year at $200 a pop. Twice we had to have a leak fixed in the compressor coil, $1000 each time. Carrier is crap. Called them, told too bad in less words. We have a new Trane system going in this Tuesday with a heat pump, all labor and materials covered under warranty for 6K. Screw Carrier, go to Mexico, don't buy their junk.

kay of Aines City, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: July 3, 2017

My dad lives in over 50 park and we had to get a new ac unit. Well 3 yrs later the motor dies and Carrier says they won't cover the warranty because my dad owns the house not the lot it is on, the motor is over $1200. Carrier says they have no obligation. The certified Carrier dealer who installed it says they have never heard of this. Our house is over 95 degrees today 7/2/17. Don't buy Carrier.

Christina of Williamson, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 21, 2017

My unit is a 4 ton Carrier unit purchased in 2012. The compressor has blown and the replacement of this is $4700. When I called the company to inquire about the warranty I was on hold for over 30 minutes when Diana came on the line and proceeded to tell me that there was nothing she could do for me. She suggested I buy another unit. The unit is not even 6 years old! I then asked if I was to buy Carrier would she offer me a rebate. No, was her reply. Do not buy Carrier. They do not stand behind their product. Average life of a A/C unit is about 12-15 years. Carrier product barely made it half way.

Karen of Pittsburgh, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: June 14, 2017

Since our Carrier air conditioner was installed in 2013 we have had to have the coolant replaced in it every year. We are told we most likely have a small leak but that these leaks are very difficult to find. Almost $300 again this year. If I want to pay to have them find the leak and then flush the system and replace the coolant the cost will be another $1000. Sorry to say we are very disappointed with this expensive purchase with which we have no recourse.

Les of Bloomfield Hills, MI
Original review: June 13, 2017

I am a Mechanical Contractor in Detroit area. I have installed many Infinity Systems (We stopped selling them in 2012 because of all of the problems!). My own house I built in 2009 has three systems, has had 5 compressors replaced, 4 contractors, 3 controls and one complete condensing unit in 2015 which now does not work and my house is 81 degrees! INFINITY means as long as you have it you will have aggravation. It is junk. I live right on Long Lake Rd in Bloomfield Hills and on June 26th I will remove all Infinity equipment and replace with Trane. I will put all three furnaces and condensing units on the main road with a 12 foot banner which reads, "This is the kind of junk to expect of Infinity equipment." Come by and check it out ** just east of Telegraph!!!

Carrier Heating & Cooling expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

• Best for: homeowners who want to install or replace central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.carrier.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use