Find an Air Conditioners partner

3. Air Conditioners

3.7/5 (269 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Carrier Heating & Cooling

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Carrier Heating & Cooling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Please be aware when purchasing a Home and check for the AC Warranty. The installers are lazy and won't register your unit and even if you register yourself when installing a new unit, make sure you complete the paperwork for the extended 10 yr. warranty. The normal warranty is only 5 yrs. In my case, I found out after purchasing the house, that my unit's warranty ran out within 5 yrs from install and am SOL as far as getting anywhere with Carrier, even though the receipt from the company that installed for the previous home owner says 10 yr. warranty.

The Customer Service folks tell you that the 5 yr. warranty is up and nothing more. What I find more crazy is that the 10 yr. warranty is for the person who bought the unit and does not transfer. Generally people move within 5-7 yrs. This is a scam! Please do yourself a favor and shop around for other companies that have better products and good customer care solutions. I will never install any Carrier Products ever in my house.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

System gave us problems from day one April 2016, numerous faults first year in service fixed after dealer replaced the compressor (under warranty) system. Worked well until 5 months after 5 year warranty expired, Sept 2021. Warranty can be extended to ten years by registering at specific warranty site, no one made us the homeowner aware of this process. Had registered equipment at Carrier's thermostat site (apparently not the same thing). Intermittent fan motor issue on the outdoor unit, cost to replace motor and control 1887$. Not a reliable system, manufacturer goes out of their way not to pay for repairs, buyer beware!

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

We had our system installed summer 2014. Our home had two units. The Carrier unit is for the upstairs. In February of 2014 the system wasn’t working. My husband was in the hospital so I just paid the air conditioning serviceman to fix the unit. Every year there has been some issue with the system not working correctly. I’m not talking about it needing coolant or whatever- I’m talking basic functioning. It crapped out altogether this past month. We found out the fan and ECU need to be replaced. Surprise surprise it’s not covered under the 5 year warranty. Ask yourself why the company only covers the product for 5 years. Oh, you can extend the warranty when you buy the product in the first 90 days. You have to pay I’m sure.

Read the reviews. Carrier is HORRIBLE for residential. Their excuse is that older systems last longer. Explain that to me. There is no excuse for poor quality and poor customer service as far as standing by your product. I only wish I had come to look at the reviews prior to purchasing the system. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

RUN AWAY! I always trusted in the brand, however, when I needed help from Carrier, they don't want to deal with their "certified providers". I purchased an Air Handler and a Condenser from two providers listed on the Carrier website to solving my cooling problem. The issue was not solved, and now they want to sell me another HVAC system more powerful. They will not give me any discount for the product that I just bought and have less than 2 months of usage. Honestly, it is a joke, they want to sell more and more equipment without caring about customer satisfaction. Very disappointed with Carrier.

Original review: July 9, 2021

The Carrier/Bryant air handler for a heat pump has a plastic pan inside the unit to catch condensation. The plastic pan material is of poor quality for the environmental temperature swings that it should have been designed in which to operate. After only 2.5 years, the pan cracked in July, water soaked the air handler insulation, and caused the ductwork to drip condensation on to the attic insulation and ruin the ceiling below the unit. The secondary protection pan under the air handler caught the water that dripped from the air handler but there was no protection for the plenum and ductwork which was collecting a vast amount of moisture from the soaked air handler. This is where the ceiling damaged occurred. Florida summers are hot and humid so the unit will produce a lot of condensation and a broken pan causes a lot of damage and high repair cost.

The unit was under warranty so the replacement pan is free but the labor takes 4 hours to remove the coils, replace the pan, and replace the internal insulation in the unit. The internal insulation is not covered by the warranty so that is an extra cost. So there is about $700 of labor and insulation cost to replace a pan under warranty. Plus I need to repair my ceiling where the leak occurred.

I suggest that Carrier should recall these pans and replace them with pans made of higher quality material. Perhaps made with plastic that is thicker, more flexible, and can withstand extreme heat and cold temperature swings. The pan is located next to the coil so when the heat pump is operating, the pan gets hot and obviously brittle. Also units should be designed so that parts can be quickly replaced. That seems to be a lost art. I have done some research and found that Lennox has a thicker more flexible pan that doesn't crack under normal use of the A/C and heat pump operation.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I installed Carrier Furnace and AC fours years ago with five years warranty. My furnace broke 2 years ago and I end up paying $900 for labor. My AC unit stop working 4 weeks ago right in the middle of summer heat. Technician came and checked it for leaks which cost me $700.00. A week ago, the AC stop working again, and the technician figured that the whole outside unit (Compressor, Condenser, and the Coils) were faulty and useless products. Although, the parts are under warranty, but I have to pay another $1200.00 for labor to replace the unit. I am very pissed about my decision to install overrated Carrier Furnace and AC units. Carrier units are useless and I don't recommend anyone to purchase anything from Carrier.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I purchased the 5-Ton Carrier AC unit for my restaurant per the recommendation of an experienced (40+ years) AC technician. Three and a half years later, the VFD failed, the cost of the part $1300+ and it is not under warranty. One week later, the whole block had a partial power black out which burned the fan motor and other circuit wires, the part cost $650+ and it is not under warranty. What kind of a poor design is this?!!! Useless warranty for a low quality product.

Original review: June 7, 2021

We installed a Carrier ECO efficient heating and cooling system about 9 years ago, heating worked without any problem but the AC never worked properly. It stops around 81-82 degrees even if we set it to 76 or lower, especially for hot summer days when outside is over 90 degrees. We had Carrier dealers come to check and perform maintenance many times but no help. They said the a/c is fine but might be inside programming problem or controller problem which they can't fix and ask us to contact Carrier.

Every time when we called Carrier, we were told to go to local dealers but local Carrier dealer asks us to go to Carrier. We are trying to find out if Carrier can have someone who can run a thorough diagnosis to figure out what is going on but don't know who we can approach. The a/c problem we noticed is a/c doesn't run enough time and stop (sometimes just 1 minutes) even it is far away from the temperature we set on controller (we set to 76, room temperature on controller is 84) then the a/c waits for a long time to restart then doesn't run enough time and stop again. Hope this helps us to get to the right place to fix the issue

Original review: May 11, 2021

I got a split unit 09/30/2019, by the first full summer in 2020 it made a loud noise and was leaking water, warranty wasn't up, which was 1 year parts and labor. When ask the installer about the problem he said he knew nothing about them. The Installer is Licensed, Insured and Bonded, has lived across the street since 1989 that I know of. I watched him grow his AC business for years. I decided to let him have the job and sorry to say my guard was down. Winter came and heating is OK, yet summer is starting again, his warranty has pass couldn't get to it cause after his remark in knowing nothing. My husband had congested heart failure on Nov. 06 2020 and then we both got Covid19 Dec 6th, still recovering.

I then was trying to get the serial number off the machine and it had a paper sticker that was weathered and couldn't get it, but the inside unit had the same type paper label readable and match the serial number on the packaging of the Manuel which couldn't read due too it was in just Spanish. Called Carrier they said it wasn't their serial number, so now I have to go and file with better business and small claims court. Watch out people if your AC guy living across the street and still screws you, don't trust nobody, cause Carrier didn't seem concern with this fraud, I told them I had a picture of the labels and machine and ask if there was any way they could let me send them over on my phone, they said I had to go through Better Business.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I am an HVAC contractor who purchased Carrier equipment because the blueprint on the job called out for Carrier. After purchasing the equipment and installing according to manufacturing specifications, we noticed we had a faulty motor in the new unit. I contacted the distributor and they informed me that not only did they not have the motor in stock, they would have to order a new one and we would have to pay for it again... YES PAY FOR IT AGAIN. I am still waiting to be reimbursed for this motor I paid for twice, not to mention all the time we lost. This was one of the worst things I have ever experienced with any HVAC distribution company. We install all different types of HVAC equipment based on blueprints. Never one time has this ever happened. 30 years in this business and this is by far the worst.

Carrier Heating & Cooling author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

Carrier Heating & Cooling Company Information