2. Homeowners
  3. Air Conditioners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.69/5

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Carrier Heating & Cooling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: June 17, 2020

I decided on a Carrier split system for heating and cooling in an older ranch with electric baseboard heat only. Best decision ever!! It's efficient and cheaper to operate than the new Ruud gas system in my old condo. The heat is so warm. It's not anything like the old heat pumps that seemed to throw cool air for heat. My old condo and my house are about the same size. Both are on slabs. My heating/cooling bills at the house are half of the condo's. What a blessing. Thank you Carrier!!

Original review: June 16, 2020

I installed the condenser and A-coil myself since I am licensed to do this and the unit works great. I wish I would of done it right after purchasing the house instead of waiting 4 months. The summer was extremely hot and in a 65-year-old house with leaky windows and doors, my electric bill was never over $275. I was actually expecting higher. Since then I have had a new furnace put in and love it, keeps the downstairs and upstairs plenty warm without breaking the wallet on the gas bill. 4 ton 15seer condenser, 5 ton A-coil with TXV, adn 125,000 btu 95% furnace.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Carrier air conditioning is worldwide, they have great products for the home and commercial use. I have used them both for commercial and at my house and they are like the bunny. They keep going and going. But when I needed service on both they took a long time to service. If they would improve on the service they would stand above the others.

Original review: June 11, 2020

The unit seems to be solid, but it is pretty loud, even though I've had technicians check it and they say there's nothing wrong with it. I'm not the expert, so I have to take their word, but I believe they could be quieter and last longer than they do presently. Also, can they start making and using heavy duty, long life resistors? Every time I get the unit serviced, I have to buy one or two of the transistors because it's "bad." I can always count on paying an extra $75-$150 for these things that wear out so quickly!

Original review: June 6, 2020

I bought my Carrier HVAC unit in 2003, now it is 2020. I am very pleased with Carrier's HVAC unit. Over the years it is required maintenance such as, replacing some parts usually costing around $750 to $1500. I weighed the maintenance costs with buying a new one for around $6000. But seems to be working good with the maintenance that I have done.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

We purchased a carrier system in Nov. 2019, it had a condenser leak in Dec.2020, four days later the compressor stopped working. Total labor for both jobs was $2500.00 dollars. Carrier’s customer service denied payment for all or part of the labor. The exact statement in the e-Mail from Mr. Lee ** was “Carrier only pays for excessive or expensive labor cost”. David L Gitlin "Dave" President/CEO, Carrier Global Corp stated in on the company’s website “we want to do what is right”.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

ICP is an A/C manufacturer known for Carrier brand. My Model PHJ4 runs constantly and does not ever cool my home to 78 F in summer and freezes in winter set at 60 F in Florida! It never has worked properly since brand new install on 9/30/19. I contacted manufacturer and they were no help. I had a company (that did not do install) come out they had me replace the new duct work and relocate the return $800. They tested everything, spoke with ICP and came out 3 times. Nothing was ever fixed and they wanted me to reconstruct my home to suit the A/C unit. They even told me they had other customers with the same problem. The unit replaced was a 25 year old Trane that worked perfectly with original home manufacturer's duct and return layout. My power bill with this unit has tripled and it does not even do 1/2 the job the old unit did.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

3 major issues in 5 1/2 years. Replaced Condenser Fan Motor 2 years. Replaced Air Handler Blower motor 3 years. Replaced Compressor 5 1/2 years. Only good thing was a 10 year parts warranty. Unfortunately, labor not included. Compressor cost for just labor and freon approx $900. I will not purchase a Carrier product again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Had the blower motor go out 5 years and 1 week after buying my new home. Called them and was told nothing they could do. It is by date of install and my unit was installed in May during the build. Motor is a computer controlled direct drive so has to come from Carrier. $1300 for motor to last 5 years. Cheap junk. I will never by another Carrier product no matter how much I spend for a new unit. Buyer beware and stay far far away from this brand.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

We got a new HVAC system in 2009, 11 years ago. It was Carrier's top of the line furnace and central air conditioner at the time. It was the Infinity System. Quite expensive to say the least. Well, fast forward 11 years (to 2020). The Carrier central air conditioner's condenser apparently went out. The company who installed it (In 2009) came out to diagnose a grinding sound I heard coming from the unit. Guess what?! Yep, you guessed it! My entire central air conditioner would need replaced due to the condenser failing!

I know a couple family members who've had their central air conditioners for over 30 years, and they're still in working order. If this "new" efficient HVAC equipment can't hold up for at least 20 years, doesn't that outweigh any efficiency improvements you got out of them?! In my opinion, not only are you out of an expensive unit, but for environmental purposes- it would be better to have a less efficient system last 30 years than a more efficient system last 10! Why? Because the materials to make it end up in a landfill 3 times sooner than the old style air conditioners!

If I had known this Carrier AC would have only lasted 11 years, I would have went with a less expensive brand! What's the point paying nearly twice as much, potentially, only to have your unit completely fail 10-11 years later! PS: I recently went out and bought a new window AC. I couldn't afford to spring for a new central AC, nor had any desire after that experience!

Carrier Heating & Cooling author review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team