Carrier Heating & Cooling

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased 2 model FB4CNF024 Carrier 2 ton heat pump 7/11/2014 and has had service checks by installer yearly. First blower motor out in 11/17/2015 replaced promptly under warranty. Second blower motor under warranty has just went out 11/23/2016 and told blower motor on back order til February 2017. This is on the same unit in the bedrooms. What is a senior citizen to do with severe neuropathy after brain surgery and very cold sensitive. If you use different motor voids warranty so must go without heat through winter. If I could give Carrier less than one star I would.

4 year old unit that breaks at least once a year. Broken compressor in year 1 covered under warranty and labor. Froze lines year 2 and leaked freon. No warranty and paid $300 labor. Year 3 blown capacitor, $150 labor. Year 4 broken coils in upstairs unit, labor cost $1000. No help from Carrier and audacity for support team to say "thank you for using Carrier" after displeasure relayed to them. You would be better off blowing into your house than getting a Carrier. Never again will I get a Carrier.

I have two top of the line Carrier Furnaces. Both have been serviced annually. Both crapped out requiring major repairs after 6 years. Both were sold with 10 year parts warranties as they were high-end models. Now however, Carrier refuses to honor the warranty - even for parts. They claim a legal technicality buried in tiny fine print. Customer service was not responsive in any way. Both for reliability reasons and because of their unwillingness to honor their warranty, I would join the chorus of voices suggesting to avoid Carrier.

I replaced 13 year old Trane units that performed flawlessly for two Carrier Inverter units top of the line for top efficiency with the promise of quiet and reliable and an overall install cost of 50K. In year two one unit's outdoor inverter caught fire and was backorder for nearly a month. While they paid for the part I had to pay $1200 of labor not covered and was without AC for a month. Then the second unit failed who was installed a year later with some freeze thermostat malfunction and a bill of 1400. Again labor not covered and a month delay on getting parts. So all the energy savings and huge investment barely pay for the repair bills.

Clearly Carrier does not stand behind its products and I would never buy their units again. Additionally seeing the pictures of how the unit was burned to a crisp was very troubling and when the dealer said it happens sometimes, I lost faith in Carrier. The people who invented air conditioning forgot that customers have choices. Our family will never buy Carrier again.

I purchased a brand new heat pump August of 2014. I live in an area where you don't need to use the heat pump but only a few days a year. In the winter I use a gas fireplace or the gas furnace. September of 2016 my heat pump was making a metal on metal sound so I had a hunch I was having a Freon leak. I called my service technician who confirmed via a nitrogen test that I had a Freon leak. This basically is a new unit since it doesn't get used very often. I called Carrier to see if they would help with labor charges as my brand new unit now is going to cost $1,500 to fix just in labor charges which includes the $507 charge to test for the freon leak plus another $105 to replace freon. They were less than sympathetic and fully stated they do not help with labor charges no matter the circumstance.

I will never use another Carrier product. I will never refer anybody to purchase I carry your product. I had faith in the company that installed it realizing they don't know the products that they get from the company from the distributor. I'm highly just satisfied with Carrier and I think it class action suit needs to be brought against them for POOR products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Purchased unit 4-3-2014 for $10,000.00 plus additional $1,000.00 for UV installation. Parts needed replacement within the first 30 days of installation. Last part replaced was done on 9-22-2016 and it was a fan motor. The parts are covered by warranty but the $375.00 for labor for this most recent repair is not, nor is the $125.00 yearly "check up fee". I contacted Carrier and asked about the possibility of them having a "lemon policy" to get some relief. No luck, just boilerplate response. Never have I dealt with such a "big" name company that acted in such a slimy manner. I would never purchase anything with their name on it again and would strongly tell others to keep their money in their pockets and use someone else. For what I have spent, I could have purchased multiple local name units and not had the issues that I have and continue to have. Shame on you Carrier!

My Carrier unit installed about two years ago (summer 2014) and still under warranty, has performed poorly for most of the Spring 2016, starting in May and running through the summer. After several “diagnostic services” (paid for by me, out of pocket) - My Carrier-approved contractor/installer Air Professional Associates LLC (APA) informed me that they traced the poor performance to a faulty/leaking condenser in the original Carrier unit... AND Carrier told them that it will only replace the part, but will neither repair the unit to functioning performance nor pay for the labor required for APA to repair it.

The labor expense to install the new condenser is around $800 - between 10-20% of the original price paid for the unit. I have done research online – and have seen what appears to be a regular and consistent record of unhappy consumers with failing Carrier heat pump units. Based on what APA has told me about what Carrier’s policy for warranty coverage will/won't reimburse, this arrangement suggests that Carrier is "outsourcing" its cost of poor quality to customers. For me to pay this amount to enjoy a functioning unit is not acceptable as a customer. This was a major expenditure for my home (approx $5000 installed), within two years of brand-new installation. I’m angry and upset about this.

I've logged in at the website (and received no response from Carrier). I then sent registered letters to Carrier (their response: they tell me that they're not going to make the unit functional). In the market, they appear to be competing on price - counting on getting their units installed without the quality to operate for an acceptable lifetime. As a homeowner - once the unit is installed - you are "stuck". There's an extensive pattern of failing Carrier heat pump units. If you have a choice - I'd recommend that you find another vendor. Carrier won't help you.

On October 24, 2014, I had a new Carrier air conditioner installed. Unfortunately, the product has not performed well and to our expectations. As of May, 2015 the unit was making an unusual loud noise, although the technician was not able to find anything wrong. In August, 2016 the unit was making a loud noise again. This time we also noticed water leaking and that the unit will successively go on and off. The technician determined that the unit's expansion valve was faulty. In August 2016 the repair was completed. While the parts were covered under the warranty, we incurred expenses for the labor in amount of $375.00. In addition to the expense incurred and the hindrance of not having AC in 100 degrees weather, we had to twice take time off from our jobs, once to have the unit inspected and a second time to have the repairs done, which took nearly 5 hours to complete. We were disappointed to say the least and find it unacceptable that a new unit that has been in use for less than 2 years, to have such issues.

To resolve the problem, we contacted Carrier and kindly requested a full reimbursement of the $375.00 cost we incurred. Per our online research, this issue has happened to other Carrier users and we deem this to be a flaw in the manufacturing of the system, and not normal wear and tear. The response back was that, while they are sorry for the inconvenience created by their system, they can't help us as they are not responsible for the labor cost we incurred! After we spent close to $7k on a new unit, I find it unacceptable to have to spend another $400 in the second year on repairs!

This unit is junk. After only 15 months the compressor went out. While they covered the part they refuse to cover the labor. The rep I spoke with said they will not pay labor cost. The rep was very short and matter of fact about this. It seems she's said this a few times before. After reading all the complaints I guess I didn't do my due diligence. If this blog will help one person not buy a Carrier then I've done good.

Extremely poor technical staff. Original install of system required 5 returns to home before calling in a Carrier rep to fix a brand new setup. Service techs never bring tools and diagnose by seat of pants WAGS (wild ass guesses). Avoid Graham heating or suffer the consequences. They are the worst. Carrier needs to drop them as a Dealer. It's hurting the brand.

I installed a brand new 4 tons commercial unit on 9/29/15. The unit was installed by licensed technician. The unit was serving a one of my commercial tenants. In February 2016 the unit stopped cooling due to a defective valve. The valve was replaced, although it was under warranty I have to pay for part and labor and new refill of freon.

Couple months later, the unit wasn't cooling enough. We hired another technician who discovered that the unit was empty from freon due to a leakage of the evaporator coil. Luckily the part is under warranty which will expire in 23 days. Unfortunately the part is on backup order 'till November of this year which is 2.5 month from today. The labor cost to replace it is close to $1,000. I called customer relation of Carrier and was transferred from one department to another. I am requesting from Carrier to replace the entire unit because it was defective from the start and repair of this new unit has been costing me a fortune. Waiting for Carrier or their distributor Russel Sigler, Inc. to reply.

I am not one to complain about anything but Carrier is off the charts bad as far as customer service and warranties. I will say that the actual customer service reps

were polite and professional. I had zero issues with the way they treated me but the message was poor. I will try to keep this as short as possible. We purchased a 3.5 year old home last year. The previous owner almost never used the AC. He figured that they ran it maybe 3 weeks total in the 3 years they had the home. We purchased mid summer and ran it sparingly last year. This spring we had to have it charged and again 6 weeks later. Another month later it was out of refrigerant again. They came in with a sniffing tool and found a leak in the evaporator coil. We had $500 into service calls at this point. I was told that it was manufactured on Aug 19th, 2011. I called in Monday August 22nd, 2016 and was basically told that I was out of luck because the warranty ran out on Friday.

The fact was that it was not installed until October 20th, 2011 but no one could produce the original receipt. The original owner, original builder, original HVAC installer and current HVAC company all offered to call in or write up letters detailing the issue but I was told an original receipt was my only option. I would not recommend or ever use Carrier again. The repair cost me $1400 to go along with $500 in service calls and time off work. Poor quality and VERY VERY poor customer service. I would have been happy if they would have just warrantied the unit. I completely understand that labor is not something anyone would cover.

My central unit went out in 2009 and it was replaced with a Carrier unit. Yesterday with 90 degree plus weather it started sounding like an airplane about to take off. Yes, you guessed it, the motor is out! The worst part besides the cost of the replacement is that Carrier decided to extend their warranty if purchased in 2013 or after! How convenient for them! These things should always come with a 10 year warranty for the price you pay. If I could have rated this zero stars I would have. I feel totally ripped off!

We changed our air conditions 3 years ago with two 2 ton ACs. Last month in July both ACs stopped working because of capacitor burning and in the other case the electrical motor. We wrote four letters to Pete **, regional head, second to cliff jones, president of Carrier enterprises, third to customer service and fourth to Marketing manager. We go a reply early this month from a Thomas **, director of customer assurance saying electrical equipment failures are common, no design problems or faulty parts. We replaced an AC system that worked for 17 years without breaking down even once. I would strongly encourage all those looking to replace ACs to not choose carrier enterprises AC. Our model nos were 58CVA090.

The reason why I am writing this review is to let people know about Carrier AC units and their customer service. They both sucks. I do really mean sucks. I'm not a complainer, but I've been through hell with Carrier and their screwed up high dollars units. To make a long story short, they know their units have a problem and they will not recall them. Only thing they will do, replace the parts for ten years. Well labor will eat you up alive and the AC companies love it, because it's more money for them. I have problems with my high dollar unit every two to three months. This been going on for five years and counting. I'm forced to get a home warranty to save on labor. So to sum it up, Carrier sucks.

Bought an international packaged unit, a division of Carrier for our house. Within 8 months, the motor gave out and it's not longer blowing air. As I write this, I am dripping sweat in my home. My mother is 50 and we can't sleep. It's South Florida and from the reviews I am reading, I am not alone about Carrier. How can terrible companies get away with this? Now my installer is taking his time getting here but still... months with a new unit and it gives out? And of course, Carrier's "senior specialist" told me to contact my installer... But while it's immoral my installer is taking his sweet time to get here. Shouldn't Carrier be more reliable? Case in point, I will never buy a Carrier again. We have a fourplex plus my mom has a salon, so they lost a lot of potential business.

After 10 yrs I am at my wits end. We have a Carrier single package unit. Nothing but problems from the start. Very poor installation by highly recommended HVAC company. They offer only fair service with a worthless contract. Terrible service from Carrier with warranty parts replacement and general longevity. Very poor customer service. Repeated same problems. Now the motor is gone after only 2 yrs old. Not to mention bad capacitors, loose wires, low coolant levels etc, etc. It was $1009.00 2 yrs ago to replace ENC motor. Waiting for replacement again, at what cost??? Previous unit was a Miller. Not one problem in 25 yrs. Replaced for energy efficiency reasons. Now I am a senior with a heart condition living in a mobile home w/o a/c. Like a breadbox in the desert heat. Carrier you SUCK!

Research on the Internet "Carrier Infinity Communication Fault". Nobody, including certified Carrier repairmen, uncertified independents, AND EVEN CARRIER THEMSELVES HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX IT. In addition, in 5 years I have had to replace a thermostat, a controller board, and a compressor. Those repairs alone added up to more than a new contractor level unit.

I replaced 4 or 5 of my a/c units in my home in Playa Del Carmen with Carrier because I thought I was getting a superior product. I was totally wrong. These units have lasted less time than my cheaper Chinese units at half the cost. One unit has had a control board failure twice in one year and the unit is less than a year and a half old! And of course the Carrier dealer in Cancun warranties nothing. So, needless to say, I am never buying Carrier again.

I have two Carrier central air units. One for my first floor and another for the second floor. They were new when I bought my new house five years ago. Each has had to be repaired three times in five years. They are junk. I cannot wait until they go completely so I can replace them with something reliable. Three different ac techs have told me that Carrier units are junk. Actually they used a different word. When I called their customer service to complain, they were not the least bit concerned. I was stuck with Carrier since my builder uses them in all of their new homes. Do not buy a new house with Carrier ac units!

In 2008 we installed three Zoned Carrier Infinity 95% AFUE furnaces with 16 SEER Heat Pump Coils/Condensers in our home. There are two 3-Ton systems and one 4-ton system. Two of the systems have Infinity Air Filters and all three have Carrier Humidifiers. There are a total of 10 zones on the system. In the last two years, I have installed two 4 Ton Carrier Infinity Dual Stage Furnaces with 16 SEER Heat Pump Coils/Condensers where I work. All five systems have performed great. We have had no warranty issues or non-warranty issues. The systems cool and heat as expected. All were installed by the same highly reputable contractor. I highly recommend Carrier units.

Bought our Carrier Infinity unit and had it installed in 2009. We were told it was the 'Cadillac of HVAC systems'. Last year one of our thermostats failed which cost $500 to repair, just a few months outside of the warranty. Now, we're in the middle of August in 100 degree heat and the entire unit failed completely. We need to replace a compressor, a relay, 2 capacitors and get refrigerant recovery. Total cost: $3,750. Meanwhile our house is sweltering. Despite my frustration, I politely called customer service for advice and the 'advanced service' agent was rude. 'There's nothing we can do, you're outside of warranty, sorry.' Buyer beware. My advice - if you're buying an AC unit, look into warranty and try to get more than five years.

Purchased 2 Infinity Series A/C units in April 2014 at a total cost of over $25,000. Just 2 days ago, the module and blower motor failed on 1 unit. While Carrier warranties the parts for 10 years, it does not cover labor. It seems inconceivable to us that their warranty for a part, which cannot be replaced by a consumer, does not accommodate the nearly $400 cost of replacing that warrantied part when it fails - particularly within 2 years of a 10 year warranty.

Additionally, the attitude of the Customer Service staff at Carrier was dismissive, at best. A brief read of Consumer Affairs reviews suggests we are not the only customer with this complaint. As a result of this experience, we will not hesitate to let others know they should steer clear of Carrier when considering A/C providers. We are considering contacting legal counsel about initiating a class action suit on behalf of all the consumers experiencing this failure to fully stand by your products.

In 2010 we had Carrier HVAC installed. Since then the motor in the heating unit has been replaced, under warranty. Our service technician told me that Carrier knew that it was faulty but would only replace the part when it failed. Now we have to have the AC coils replaced because they are leaking coolant. According to the service technician the copper tubing cannot keep up with the pressure so it needs to be replaced with aluminum. Unfortunately this part is past the 5 year warranty, by one year, and now we have to pay $1,070 to have it replaced. I would not recommend a Carrier HVAC system.

I purchased the Infinity 17 Unit in 2009 with, according to my contract with the dealer, has a 10 year warranty. Recently the compressor went out and upon trying to replace it, I was told the warranty was only good if the products were registered. They (Customer Relations at Corporate Office) stated that registration for the unit was not completed. It only shows the registration for the furnace which extends that warranty from 5 years to 10 but did not show the same for the compressor.

Therefore they would not honor the warranty for the compressor. I told them there must be a mistake since why would only one part of the system be registered and not the complete unit. They refused to do anything to remedy the matter. So I am stuck with a bill of several thousand dollars to repair or replace the system. Also, I had to replace the coils three years ago. I purchased this higher priced unit because it is one of their top products and the warranty. I am very disappointed with the unit and with the company response.

Very dissatisfied with the quality of our Carrier 4 ton air conditioner (model 24ABB348A003). The compressor failed after only 3 years and it was not a blow out failure. The technician said it is internal failures most likely due to the quality of the compressor. The warranty of course only cover the park itself, not even the coolant they have to refill after reinstall the compressor. The diagnosis and the replace of the compressor cost about the 1/4 of the original cost and install of the air conditioner. It is ridiculous to have to spend so much on labor to fix a major component on an problem most likely due to the quality of their product.

When speaking to a carrier representative, they do not stand by their product, only referring to the letter of the warranty agreement. Parts also does not include coolant cost. The excuse is that they do not know what exactly cause the compressor failure and they do not look at every compressor that failed, even those that failed in much less typical lifetime of the product. It is very good to know that Carrier does not take quality of their product seriously enough to diagnose major component that prematurely failed. Either that or they have so much failure on their compressor that they just don't care. Either conclusion does not speak well of Carrier as a company.

In less than three years of installing a new heat pump, we have had the upstairs computer board replaced, the outside capacitor unit and the upstairs blower motor. I have a case # given to me from Carrier for the concern of the unit. Of course, they say they haven't had any complaints for these particular parts not lasting. According to all of the concerns I see from the reviews, I beg to differ. They have told me they will send a Carrier representative to us to have our unit evaluated if we have another problem as all things have been the inner electrical or computer parts. I have had no concern with our installer... just not happy with the product. I feel like spitting bullets.

Just installed a new 2 1/2 ton Carrier air conditioner. It emits 85 decibels of sound. It was advertised to be as low as 65 decibels. This is intolerable at night! Carrier could care less!!! NO recourse for me. Buying Carrier was a colossal blunder! I have no one to blame but myself. As it turns out American Standard was the best choice. Trane was second. That was based on exhaustive research, after the purchase. I found what seemed to be endless complaints against Carrier. How do you test drive an air conditioner? Caveat emptor!

We installed a new expensive Carrier heat pump/AC system in 2002. Over 14 years we had to replace the Bristol compressor 10 times. Our HVAC service company and Carrier said we were the "only ones" who had this problem and they did not know why. All lies as I now know. The compressor failed again this year (2016) and the HVAC service company we use said they can't replace the Bristol compressor this time due to a lawsuit between Carrier and Bristol, so we had to replace our whole system. We would never install Carrier again. Carrier charges huge but gives you junk. If we hadn't taken out a $900 10-year labor charge warranty when we bought the system, we would have been out thousands of dollars to replace 10 compressors. Don't ever buy Carrier! They are no longer using Bristol compressors, but the substitute compressor brand they are now using is reputed to be just as bad.

Our heat pump compressor and related parts that were installed in our residence in 2011 required a replacement parts July 2016. We are very dissatisfied with the quality of our "top of the line" Carrier Heat Pump System. Parts are warranted for 10 years, but the issue remains, if the system is what Carrier boasts this system as their top of the line product, why do we need to have to pay for the compressor and related parts to be replaced.

We are being charged a high rate of $167 per hour to replace these parts, along with $167 initial cost to diagnose the problems. It seems as though we are paying for the parts along with the repair, for a unit that should last 10 years. Sunset Air is the contractor replacing the parts and has estimated labor charges in excess of $1,300 just to replace the needed parts (8 hour job). Carrier has told us they are not responsible for labor charges, but the unit should hold up for the 10 years as boasted for their again "top of the line unit".

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.
  • Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.
  • Customized customization: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.
  • Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.
  • Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.
  • Best for Homeowners looking for central air conditioning.

Compare Air Conditioners