Find an Air Conditioners partner

3. Air Conditioners

3.8/5 (299 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Carrier Heating & Cooling

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Carrier Heating & Cooling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: June 17, 2020

I decided on a Carrier split system for heating and cooling in an older ranch with electric baseboard heat only. Best decision ever!! It's efficient and cheaper to operate than the new Ruud gas system in my old condo. The heat is so warm. It's not anything like the old heat pumps that seemed to throw cool air for heat. My old condo and my house are about the same size. Both are on slabs. My heating/cooling bills at the house are half of the condo's. What a blessing. Thank you Carrier!!

Original review: June 16, 2020

I installed the condenser and A-coil myself since I am licensed to do this and the unit works great. I wish I would of done it right after purchasing the house instead of waiting 4 months. The summer was extremely hot and in a 65-year-old house with leaky windows and doors, my electric bill was never over $275. I was actually expecting higher. Since then I have had a new furnace put in and love it, keeps the downstairs and upstairs plenty warm without breaking the wallet on the gas bill. 4 ton 15seer condenser, 5 ton A-coil with TXV, adn 125,000 btu 95% furnace.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2020

Carrier air conditioning is worldwide, they have great products for the home and commercial use. I have used them both for commercial and at my house and they are like the bunny. They keep going and going. But when I needed service on both they took a long time to service. If they would improve on the service they would stand above the others.

Original review: June 11, 2020

The unit seems to be solid, but it is pretty loud, even though I've had technicians check it and they say there's nothing wrong with it. I'm not the expert, so I have to take their word, but I believe they could be quieter and last longer than they do presently. Also, can they start making and using heavy duty, long life resistors? Every time I get the unit serviced, I have to buy one or two of the transistors because it's "bad." I can always count on paying an extra $75-$150 for these things that wear out so quickly!

Original review: June 6, 2020

I bought my Carrier HVAC unit in 2003, now it is 2020. I am very pleased with Carrier's HVAC unit. Over the years it is required maintenance such as, replacing some parts usually costing around $750 to $1500. I weighed the maintenance costs with buying a new one for around $6000. But seems to be working good with the maintenance that I have done.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I got a split unit 09/30/2019, by the first full summer in 2020 it made a loud noise and was leaking water, warranty wasn't up, which was 1 year parts and labor. When ask the installer about the problem he said he knew nothing about them. The Installer is Licensed, Insured and Bonded, has lived across the street since 1989 that I know of. I watched him grow his AC business for years. I decided to let him have the job and sorry to say my guard was down. Winter came and heating is OK, yet summer is starting again, his warranty has pass couldn't get to it cause after his remark in knowing nothing. My husband had congested heart failure on Nov. 06 2020 and then we both got Covid19 Dec 6th, still recovering.

I then was trying to get the serial number off the machine and it had a paper sticker that was weathered and couldn't get it, but the inside unit had the same type paper label readable and match the serial number on the packaging of the Manuel which couldn't read due too it was in just Spanish. Called Carrier they said it wasn't their serial number, so now I have to go and file with better business and small claims court. Watch out people if your AC guy living across the street and still screws you, don't trust nobody, cause Carrier didn't seem concern with this fraud, I told them I had a picture of the labels and machine and ask if there was any way they could let me send them over on my phone, they said I had to go through Better Business.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I am an HVAC contractor who purchased Carrier equipment because the blueprint on the job called out for Carrier. After purchasing the equipment and installing according to manufacturing specifications, we noticed we had a faulty motor in the new unit. I contacted the distributor and they informed me that not only did they not have the motor in stock, they would have to order a new one and we would have to pay for it again... YES PAY FOR IT AGAIN. I am still waiting to be reimbursed for this motor I paid for twice, not to mention all the time we lost. This was one of the worst things I have ever experienced with any HVAC distribution company. We install all different types of HVAC equipment based on blueprints. Never one time has this ever happened. 30 years in this business and this is by far the worst.

Original review: March 15, 2021

In October, 2020, National Heating & Air Conditioning installed a Carrier brand ductless heat pump/mini-split system in our home, including 1 heat pump, 3 heads, and 3 hand-held remote controls for $6,992.00. We were told it would offer us “zone control.” and to “set it and forget it.” Within a month of installation, the system was malfunctioning; all heads produced heat any time one head called for heat meaning, no zone control. After both the technician and Rick **, the “Comfort Consultant” from National confirmed the unit was not operating properly, they suggested we would need wall mounted thermostats installed to fix the problem.

We wanted the system to work as we were told it would work, and the way the Owner's Manual detailed it should work, with the remotes that came with the system. We opened a claim/complaint with Carrier believing they would stand behind their product and their advertising and get our system working as we were told it would work and as it was advertised to work. Rick and Len **, the Carrier Service Tech Mgr. began immediately began contradicting themselves by suddenly saying the system was working “exactly as it is engineered to work” while simultaneously saying the only solution to the “problem” was “wall-mounted thermostats” that they would “not charge us to ‘buy’ or have installed.”

Len actually said if they did not find anything wrong with our system (this was AFTER it was confirmed it was not operating properly), I was "not going to like to hear that the 'solution to the problem' was going to be wall mounted thermostats." Please note: If there is no problem with the system, then why would the only "solution" be to install wall mounted thermostats to address the problem that had already been identified of no zone control? After 5 months of gas-lighting and giving us the runaround, we requested they “repair, replace or remove the defective system and refund us.” They chose the latter—and this was AFTER Rick gave us his word that he’d “do whatever it took to get the system working properly.”

On the day of removal, they tried to have us sign a customer satisfaction guarantee that was not given to us on the day of installation that said if we were not 100% satisfied with the system, they would remove it. When we suggested they should have given us that agreement to sign the day of installation, we were met with more gaslighting, telling us the reason for that was because they were "not doing paperwork during COVID."

NOTE: They had no problem doing the paperwork on the day of installation for receipt of payment for the system, and giving us the owner’s manual that told us exactly how the system should work. We now have a DAIKIN brand ductless heat-pump with 1 heat pump, 3 heads, 3 hand-held remotes, flawless zone control, bypass heat that is redirected to the head calling for heat, and exceptional customer service from another local Heating & Air Conditioning provider, who has received the “Best of The Best” award several years in a row, for obvious reasons! Daikin offers a far superior warranty on BOTH parts AND labor—twelve years on both! Every extra penny we spent has been worth the difference to have a properly operating system and to have prompt response time to all forms of communication. Carrier spends a lot of money on advertising, but that does not mean their product is superior. I would not recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I brought a brand new unit that came with a Carrier Air conditioner. It has been leaking water. They did eventually attend after a lot of trying not to, but the problem is ongoing. Still leaking- I was told they fitted the wrong size tray in the first place by another aircon serviceman. They now tell me it is no longer under warranty. It has not worked properly from the start and they won’t fix it. Not a company to trust.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

We purchased a new Carrier Infinity 18 SEER HE system in April 2018 ($12,300). The system was for the downstairs of a 3200 square foot home and installed in a crawlspace. At the time of installation, there had never been any "moisture" issues in the crawlspace for the 20 year life of the home, not with the original owners, not with two home inspections, and not with our experience with the previous HVAC system that had been in place for fifteen years, in fact the crawlspace had always been very dry. Once we installed the Carrier Infinity system, we began to notice problems with keeping the humidity levels in our home at a reasonable level, we were seeing 65-76 percent readings on a regular basis.

We reached out to the Carrier dealer and they told us we needed to replace all of the ductwork underneath the house. We moved forward and did as was suggested ($4600) in August of 2019. A few weeks after the ductwork install, we switched to heat pump and "thought" the problem was resolved as humidity levels in the winter stayed around 45% inside the home during the winter when the heat pump was being used and there was no use of the AC. Fast forward to summer 2020. We started using the AC again in April and by July 2020 the beautiful hardwoods in our home began to buckle and we began to see incredible amounts of moisture building in our walls.

Our light switches actually began to buckle from the moisture, and if you took one off the wall, the moisture was enough to drip onto the floor. We have pictures of all of this. Moisture readings were back to 68 to 78 percent and 83% in the crawlspace. Through word of mouth and social media, we found several other families who were experiencing the exact same issue in our county alone, their homes, walls, and floors also being slowly destroyed by intense moisture after installation of the Carrier Infinity 18 seer system. We were in contact with the Carrier dealer throughout. Unfortunately, the dealer had a massive fire that destroyed all of their records and they had to rebuild, so there are no records of our original install other than the paperwork we have.

After their rebuild that delayed our interaction, the dealer came again to our home and rewired our system to use only two drive phases instead of the designed five. This did not bring the moisture levels down. We were told several times there was a moisture problem in our crawlspace and that was causing our issues. We worked with our homeowners insurance agent and he sent a home inspection/moisture specialist who determined there was no runoff or water issue in our crawlspace and suggested the problem may be the installation of the super efficient Carrier system in 2018. The dealer returned again in September 2020 and replaced the ductwork again, suggesting that the duct boots were not installed correctly in the first ductwork replacement in 2019.

This also did not address the intense humidity issue, with readings in our crawlspace reaching 83% moisture in certain areas. Inside the home we could not maintain anything under 68% humidity. The dealer then brought a large dehumidifier in late October 2020 that has been running all winter. With the AC off, the basement has dried out with use of the heat pump and zero use of the AC all winter. We will be installing the optional integrated Carrier dehumidifier next and will see if that addresses the issue when we switch back to AC, somewhere in early April.

After hearing from all the other families that have experienced the exact same intense humidity and moisture damage in their homes after installing the Carrier Infinity 18 seer system, we are not confident that we will see any difference. We are out almost $18K, we have a practically new HVAC system that is slowly destroying our home, we will need to replace all of our floors and subfloors, and we are praying that our wiring has not corroded. Carrier was called to one of the other families' homes and told them what we were told, that they had a "moisture" problem and that it was not the system.

Carrier KNOWS this is an issue, the dealers KNOW this is an issue, but Carrier refuses to address it. We are writing this review to bring awareness. Consumer BEWARE. Carrier NEEDS to address this and figure out what's causing this 18 seer 5 phase system to destroy certain homes. We hope this honest review keeps others aware of what can happen with a Carrier Infinity 18 seer system and keeps others from living the nightmare we have since the installation of this system.

Carrier Heating & Cooling author review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team