1.19/5

Last updated: April 19, 2018

408 Carrier Heating & Cooling Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Mark of Lexington, KY Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 19, 2018

When my Trane heat pump finally expired after more than 20 years, I made the mistake of hiring a company, Bryant Heating and Cooling, which installs Carrier units. Within a year, the defrost board went out. After a few more years the compressor broke, Carrier replaced it under warranty, but Bryant wanted $1500 labor (about 2 hours work) to install it, but finally reduced the cost to $750. After installing the compressor, a valve in the heat exchange unit in the garage was found to be defective. A year later, the unit lost pressure, which was traced to a leaking canister next to the compressor (I'm not sure what it's called). The technician convinced Carrier to supply the part, but labor again was going to be $1500, but was reduced to $325. DON'T EVER BUY A CARRIER! If I have any more problems, I'm going to bite the bullet and replace this piece of crap which I can never depend on.

Larry of Brookville, OH Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 16, 2018

My builder installed a Carrier Infinity furnace and air conditioner when the house was built. In only 11 and half years I have spent over $4,000 in repairs on this piece of junk. The blower motor had to be replaced at 5 1/2 months at a cost of over $600. Then the evaporator coil in the furnace had to be replaced after 8 years at a cost of $1,500 due to leaks. Then the heat exchanger and the air conditioning coils had to be replaced after 11 years due to water leaking into the heat exchanger and leaks in the air conditioning coils at a cost of over $2,500. I previously had a Trane furnace and air conditioner at my other house and never spent $1 dollar in 15 years on repairs. Never again will I buy Carrier products. Going to go back to Trane.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Lori of Orlando, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 16, 2018

We have a house that’s only 2.5 years old and have had our AC stop working at least 6 times, all for different reasons. We have a 2 story home with a single unit damper system with two thermostats. I would not recommend this system! And the company that installed it was replacing parts and not telling us they were under warranty. Luckily we got a 2nd opinion with the last issue. DO NOT BUY CARRIER or use ONE STOP HEATING & COOLING!

Tracy of Long Beach, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 13, 2018

Installed a Carrier HVAC in 2016 remodel. A year later the outside coil was leaking. Carrier agreed to replace the defective part, but not the labor costs. $1,000! This week A/C doesn't work and we find out a different coil is leaking. Another defective part that Carrier agrees to replace under warranty but not labor costs. In for another $500! This is absolutely unacceptable. My story is not different from many I've read here. How do we go about initializing a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!

Tina of Weatherford, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 9, 2018

Do NOT buy a Carrier. The blower motor on our $12,000 unit has faulted out after only 36 months. Carrier warranties their AC units for 5 years; however, they charge a ridiculous $176 warranty processing fee and the labor is of course not covered. I tried to negotiate no fee or a lower fee with customer service and the rep I spoke to was very flippant. I fear what other problems may occur with this system if after such a short time something like this has happened. Do NOT buy Carrier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

First of A Street, OR Verified Reviewer
Original review: April 3, 2018

40MAQ High Wall Ductless System - Our office "upgraded" the heating system, each room getting the wall mounted unit and a remote. It appears that we have about as much control of the temperature as a two-year-old has bladder control. I downloaded the instruction manual to understand the operation correctly, as we did not get any advice from the installers. The "follow me" sounds great in theory, to have temp adjusted based on the placement of the remote thermostat. What a piece of garbage! We either get cooked or frozen depending if the mode = heat or cool. If the set temp is 10 degrees lower than current temp it still blasts us with hot air!! And don't try and blame it on the user (I DID RTFM) checked offset settings, the batteries, unit communications with the remote, etc. Seems to me, the entire purpose of the unit is to control the temperature! Which it does NOT do. If I could give it 0 stars I would.

Juliet of Ocoee, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 12, 2018

Purchased Carrier AC 9/2015; had to replace fan motor in 2016; motor went out again yesterday. The part is under warranty but I have to pay for labor - so far over $1000. This is quite disappointing. I wish there was some accountability and reimbursement for this.

John of Setauket, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 10, 2018

We had 2 systems installed for our 2000 sq ft ranch on Long Island. The basic systems seem to work well, we were able to heat our house when the outside temperature went down to 7 degrees F. However, the thermostats are horrible. They only read out to even degrees, and they barely regulate that well. We have to set them at least 2 degrees high, and on a cold day (under 20F) we have to set them as much as 10-12 degrees high to stay warm. We collected a few weeks of temperature data and sent it to our installer. They consulted Carrier who said the thermostat must be defective. It has been 2 months and we have no new thermostat. And the only thermostat that works with this system is the one they supply- it's a special thermostat. After spending $18000 have this system installed, I expect the thermostats to work. We are VERY unhappy.

Mary of Jacksonville, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 3, 2018

Our home was built in 2010. Since that time, the day we moved in we had an air conditioning problem with our upstairs unit. It has been 7+ years. We have had repair people out to repair the units approximately 25 times and the problems persist. I wrote carrier in 2010 and they contacted me back to say somebody was looking into the problem. I never heard back. Carrier heating and cooling units are defective and they should be held liable.

Noah of St Petersburg, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I purchased and had installed a complete Carrier Heat Pump and Air handler system. The air handler failed 3 years after installation. Carrier warrantied the part but it cost over a $1000 for installation and freon. I looked at the evaporator coil and it was total rusted through. How they can manufacturer a product that fails completely after 3 years is unthinkable. Carrier was not willing to help defray any of the installation and freon costs. I will NEVER buy a Carrier product again.

STEVEN of Brooks, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

In 2006, two Carrier Infinity heat pump systems were installed in my house to the tune of $25,000. Since 2010 I have not gone a single year without having a significant repair bill for at least one of the units. From 2010 through 2017 my repair bills for the units have exceeded $10,000. The compressor has gone out twice in one system and the other unit was totally replaced under a service bulletin (still cost me $1284.00 even though they admitted it was crap). Ten months after warranty period ended the compressor went out again. They say "nothing we can do". BEWARE!!! Stay away from Carrier, unless you've just got money to throw away.

Tom of Winter Garden, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We bought our Central Florida house over 15 years ago. It came with two Carrier units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I can tell you that as long as you service these bad boys and stay on top of them they will beat the heat. They survived countless hurricanes and just nasty nasty heat. To date I have put probably close to $800 in parts but don't forget I have two. So this week we will be replacing them with two 15 SEER Carrier Home Comfort systems. Looking forward to the upgrade and the hi-tech thermostats.

Brick of Trappe, PA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Want to risk dying from Carbon Monoxide poisoning? If you do not, then stay away from Carrier. Our Carrier heat exchanger failed and it turns out this is a very common thing FOR CARRIER, so common that there was a class action suit that saw Carrier doubling the warranty from 20-40 years, but unfortunately NOT issuing a recall, putting Carrier customers like me in the worst possible risk: death.

Murphy's Law: the KNOWN DEFECTS of our Carrier unit caused it to die during the coldest week of the year. A professional came out and informed us of the following: The safe max level of CO is 70 PPM. The max that should ever be measured in the exhaust port is 3,000 PPM. Ours was at 11,000 PPM. If that had backed into the central ventilation unit, even our CO detector would not have gotten us or our pets out safely, as exposure to that concentration immediately causes death.

The unit had to be shut down and I had to take time off from work and buy space heaters to keep the pipes and us from freezing. Our electric bill obviously skyrocketed and where the unit has been replaced with a new one, what was Carrier's response? "Yeah, and, what do you want us to do? There's no recall so we're not responsible." Wait. Carrier's known faulty equipment was subject to a class action suit. Carrier's known faulty equipment spewed out fatal amounts of carbon monoxide from which we could have died. Carrier's known faulty equipment has cost me an additional $1,000. And Carrier doesn't care about Carrier's known faulty equipment and its impact to customers? Want to risk dying from Carbon Monoxide poisoning? If you do not, then stay away from Carrier.

kim of Summerville, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased my home brand new. The very 1st year had problems with HVAC unit all told every year for the past 7 yrs I've owned this home I have had to have repairs done to unit. Why is there no accountability from the company for such poor work.

Mindy of East Greenbush, NY Verified Reviewer
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

New Carrier Infinity Heater and central air system - Concerned product needs to be recalled since initial install issues have occurred. The outdoor unit needed to be sent back on install. Then the inside unit needed to be sent back a few weeks later. 1 Year later in 9-degree weather with no warning from the Infinity app the inside of the unit clogged and now needs replacing again. Carrier is not available on Sundays so if you need any replacement you need 2 days.

I had a perfect functioning electric unit that was replaced for cost and energy reasons, I have thousands in now in back up portable a/c's and heating units since I've lost faith. It's worrisome that the inside of the unit looks like it burned and if the house didn't drop 10 degrees while I was home we may have had more than 1 frozen pipe. Today I am going to try to get Polsinello to quickly get another one order since the service tech stated it's not fixable after charging us 270.00. The install cost 10,000.

Diane of Lake Worth, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I bought the most expensive AC system on the market two years ago from Carrier via an AC company in Delray Beach Florida. Within six months the door was broken, the compressor broke, it needed two new motors within 2 years and the coils had to be cleaned. I purchased a very expensive filtration system and the filters are always filled with mold and the unit keeps breaking down. CAN WE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER? When I called Carrier they would not speak to me. The thermostat does not work well and is very complicated and there is no manual. They told me to go online. Really for $6,300 I need to go online. What can we do? I was told to replace the motor with NON Carrier Motor but am concerned about that as well. Your thoughts? Is there a lawyer out there to HELP?

John of Dubuque, IA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Carrier at Home. I'm a 100% disabled veteran and a senior citizen. A faulty heat exchanger resulted in a mandatory disconnection and no heat for 5 days. Carrier Corporate validated my warranty: replace and install part or discount on new furnace. Dealer said 3-day minimum wait if part available to ship over weekend. We opted for a new furnace as 5 days without heat was enough. Carrier found a warranty loophole: "You didn't ask our permission first before you took the discount option." Discount denied. Carrier: "Our core values define who we are and guide every decision we make."

Jean of Northville, MI Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We purchased two Carrier Infinity furnaces 6.5 years ago. Serial number 0711A033962 and 5110A03655. Cappy Heating and Air Conditioning installed them. We selected these because we believed they were the best furnaces. About five years into the life of the furnace one controller failed. Cappy replaced those. ($1000+). Now after 6.5 years the primary and secondary heat exchangers need to be replaced on both units! (My cost will be over $1,000.) We replace our air filters every 6 months so it wasn't poor airflow. It was poor workmanship.

I expected Carrier to be a reputable caring company. Nope. They are covering part of the labor on the secondary but not the primary. Really! Where is the logic there? When I spoke to Diane in the Carrier's claims department, she stuck with the policy. Might as well just talk to a robot. Conclusion, Carrier's best furnace is of poor quality & controllers are poor quality. Nobody's perfect, however, I expected they would own up to it. Nope, support is poor quality too. Very disappointing.

Ken of Savannah, GA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had two Carrier heat pump system installed in my home in southern Georgia 3 1/2 years ago. Since then I have had to have a service person visit 5 times. Today will be the 6th. The first year there was a full coverage so no real problem. After year one it's just parts. Today the service company will be replacing the indoor coil on one of the units. The cost to me will be over $800. In the past they replaced a fan motor, a capacitor, twice, made two service calls to repair a electrical short that occurred in the same place inside each unit, though 3 months apart. Byrd Heating and air did the installation and service and they are great. The rest of this write up is my opinion...

The problem is the Carrier products are junk. And it hurts me to say that because I lived in Syracuse for most of my life. Carrier was headquartered in Syracuse until they were purchased by United Technologies. They were a great company then, and very very proud of their quality. Something like I am experiencing would never happen, and if it did they would have a factory guy at your door to make it right.

Mary of Midlothian, VA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Purchased a home Aug 2014 that was built in 2003. We have a total of 3 HVAC units. 1 Carrier upstairs and downstairs, both manufactured 2011 and 1 Goodman original to the house. The Carrier unit upstairs has a leaking coil inside. Estimate $1500 to replace. 6 years for a coil to go bad is terrible. I have read that Canada has a countrywide class action against Carrier for this very reason. Why not in the U.S.?

Patricia of Miami, FL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We just purchased the Carrier #fb4cnp060L00aeaa, we have paid the tech to fix the unit. 1st- there was a leak, 2nd- unit not turning off, 3rd- unit just blowing air. Our previous unit lasted 15 years without a problem, we purchased a brand name and we got a lemon and nobody is doing anything about it.

Shae of Dallas, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

When I bought Carrier I bought 3 tons heat pumps. Carrier decided to change their world class heat pump for a “shell” pump on my models, which I had 12 visits in two years, they covered in warranty one heat pump, and installed the original old style. Now I have 2 pumps not work, and 3 ($1000) thermostats out-of-warranty. This purchase was horrible, all the carrier dealers stat oh... you bought that year... you're screwed.

David of Kansas City, MO Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

When we originally had this HVAC solution installed in our home, we had high hopes and expectations. Unfortunately, in our experience, the system has extreme reliability issues. Original installation: Mid to late Spring of 2013 (retrofitted in home built in 1998). Installer: AB **(Kansas City area). FIRST REPAIR CALL: Initial furnace startup failure in the Fall of 2013 - Swapped out the main circuit card. No cost to us as labor was still covered under AB May warranty.

SECOND REPAIR CALL: Second cooling system startup failure in the Spring of 2014 Performed some airflow adjustments and modified installation of ducting to suck from interior air. Reportedly, the ducting route was too long for use on the intake side We were not charged for any parts or labor as labor warranty was right at the end of coverage period. THIRD REPAIR CALL: Initial furnace startup failure in October of 2017 - Swapped out the motor. Parts covered under warranty, but not locally stocked. This resulted in $$$ for two service calls: Troubleshoot issue. Replace part and test system. This was in addition to several days of burning a gas fireplace with fans.

The good: When the system is working, we have experienced much more even heating and cooling throughout our lofted, multi-level home with about the same or slightly lower energy usage. The 10 year factory parts warranty has saved us thousands of dollars on the replacement of the high tech components. The bad: With 3 failures in 5 tries, I have little confidence in the ability of this system to start up during season changes. Repairs have taken hundreds of dollars out of my pocket and if not for Carrier's 10 year parts warranty, we would be out thousands of dollars. Where's the efficiency in that? I could have kept my old 80% builder grade furnace for the past 4.5 years and still be ahead of the total cost of ownership for this new "high-efficiency" model.

Summary: As of this writing, our experience dictates that we would NOT recommend this unit. The "reliability" of the system is more like a year 1/Version 1.0 product, not year 3 (model was apparently introduced in 2011). Carrier, you have significant work to do before I change my feelings about your product line based upon this experience. In fact, if this unit costs me another repair service call before 2030, I will cut my losses by scrapping the whole thing in favor of a different manufacturer.

Lisa of Madison, AL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I built a home in 2011 with a Carrier 48ES heating/cooling unit. By 2017 the unit's heater exchanger tubes are completely rusted and the unit must be replaced for a price of over $6000! I find it interesting that Carrier's warranty only covers the unit for 5 years.

Phil of Washington, IL Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

7 year old Carrier furnace. Fired up the furnace this morning and a terrible screech from the inducer motor/blower. Figured the bearing failed, but hey, it can happen. Then the repairman came and said they had to replace the inducer assembly and get this, OVER $1000 for the job! This is absolutely unacceptable predatory pricing. I either replace the furnace with a better brand (Goodman) or I bite the bullet and pay the ransom for this Carrier. I'll never buy another Carrier furnace.

Robert of Lowell, OR Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

So, we had a new home built and our contractor highly recommended a Carrier HVAC system, and we bit. Four years later, a coil is leaking. We pay to add extra coolant as well as dye to verify leak. Upon verification, we had to have the coil replaced. Okay, part fail, and the company replaced the part. But, we were charged for the labor to replace it! WTH? It's a defective part. Why should we bear the burden for replacement?!? I wrote to Carrier (Bryant) and got a terse response regarding their "limited" warranty. No, not good enough!! I wrote back and let them know my feelings as well as my plan to share my experience with as many other who would listen.

I have read so many accounts of similar experiences with Carrier: they replace the part that failed but do not reimburse the labor (which is often more than the part!). This is NOT acceptable and we need to mobilize to make manufacturers like this more responsive to consumers. Continue to share your stories and write to Bryant. We also need to contact our elected officials to develop legislation that will better protect us. Good luck to all!

Steven of Lacombe, LA Verified Reviewer
Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Over the past 4 years I have had to replace the blower module on my heat pump 4 times. The latest module is attached to the blower motor which costs me $1400.00. Does Carrier care at all about it’s reputation and it's customers or are they out to make a fast buck off of selling parts? I am a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran and simply cannot afford to replace the same part every year at a cost of $1,000.00+! Carrier needs to stand up and make their product better instead making them to fail as soon as the warranty expires.

Andrew of Hilton Head, SC Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Purchased CARRIER ocean environment, 17.5 SEER Heat Pumps and air handlers for new home. During annual maintenance of my 4 systems, it was determined that one subject unit had leaked all refrigerant. Had to refill at a cost of $550. Maintenance company ordered a new coil under warranty. It took 5 weeks to deliver. Another $500 of refrigerant and $700 in labor was required to make the repair. CARRIER had a known problem with the coils. The lack of stock and the long fulfillment time are logically related. Several false ship promises further belie this contention. Carrier should have made me whole for all expenses. They did not exhibiting lack of concern for the customer and their brand.

Vishul of Jaipur, Other Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer
Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I had complaint Carrier for my split ac (1.5ton), this is my fourth complaint for your product. Last complaint was lodged for NOISE OCCUR IN SWING FLAP. Which was done by your engineer Mr. ** who had broken the swing flap and on the same day, when I switch on my air conditioner the swinging flap is not moving, and on the next day I again complain your carrier, then again Mr. ** come from your side as an engineer and said that it is broken by you, and you have to pay for this.

Tell me why should I try to repair the air conditioner and why should I touch when you are providing services for your product, when the product is under warranty

or why should I touch I am not a technician of air conditioner. This part was totally checked and repaired by your employee and now today he is saying that you have broken the part and you have to pay for that.

Carrie of Austin, TX Verified Reviewer
Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Not only have I had to replace the compressor, I've had the techs out 3 times over the past 3 years because it wasn't cooling properly. Now, I'm told that the TXV needs to be replaced. I've spent over $2,000 in 4 years on this piece of crap. Where is the #Carrierlawsuit?

Carrier Heating & Cooling expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

• Best for: homeowners who want to install or replace central air conditioning.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs