2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Carrier Heating & Cooling Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2020

I bought a Carrier residential A/C unit. Turns out that Carrier designed a filter that is only made and sold by Carrier, and I cannot find it in any Lowe's, Home Depot, or local hardware store. The dimensions are intentionally off: 19 and 7/8 by 20 and 1/2 by 1. If you want to pick up a filter at your local store, buy anything other than Carrier. Damn them! I hate Carrier right now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

Today I called to ask a simple question of what thermostat is recommended to replace a Carrier Comfort Zone II thermostat. I was told I have to spend 300 to have a serviceman come out and tell me. This will be the last carrier I buy. Simple questions should be answered without telling the customer to spend extra money. The thermostat is so complicated and hard to change I spend 30 min telling my company that visiting how to set the temperature in their room. I definitely recommend Trane or another type system that has much better customer support.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I had a Carrier ac unit installed in my new home in 2016. I have regular scheduled maintenance every 6 months. Today at my maintenance visit I was charged $523.25 because of a bad TXV valve. My unit is currently off as I am waiting for the part. After paying almost $5200 for the unit and air handler I should not have to be replacing defective parts. I would not recommend Carrier products.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

We have replaced 25 year old Carrier furnace with a new one back in 2015. The installation was executed by an approved dealer from Carrier. Only a few months on, the blower fan failed a first time, then a second time in 2016, a third time in 2018 and again in May 2019. Now the Carrier approved dealer company that has serviced our equipment since 2016 is recommending that we replaced the entire unit. Carrier is refusing to provide their assistance nor to replace the unit under the motive that the installation is to blame. Interestingly enough, this new unit installation is identical to the previous one that was also a Carrier furnace. We've had only bad experiences with this company. I would not recommend it to my best enemy. ;0

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We had a new Carrier furnace installed when we first purchased our home. It was running fine after 16 yrs but minor repairs were beginning to occur and at the urging of our furnace installer suggested we upgrade with a new one. So six years ago we replaced the furnace which was still functioning ok with the latest Carrier furnace. Well six years have passed and we have not had one complete heating season with the new furnace without it failing. It has been a continuum of hard lockouts with no heat in the dead of winter.

Over the course of the six years we have paid for the cost of the furnace with service call fees replacement parts to include a new oil tank which they said was a possible cause of the furnace malfunctioning which to this date have not resolved the problems. Carrier has been absolutely useless in trying to fix this problem in a timely manner and kept telling the furnace people to try this and try that - all at my expense.

As a company who provides consumer products as important as a furnace one would think they would be more responsive to the issue but all they have done is stonewall me at every step and meanwhile I still have a faulty furnace that they will not fix or replace. At this point I will have to replace this nightmare with a different furnace manufacturer and hope that their product and company backing will be what one would expect as a consumer. I will never again purchase anything from Carrier and I will certainly never recommend their product to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

This unit was purchased 2/10/2015, 5 years parts warranty, Model 48ES-A2406030TP. This unit was problem child soon after install, kicking into lockout mode, igniter failing to light, AC part did fine was furnace part constant trouble, numerous service calls, exhaust inducer fail, high temp sensor fails. I quit using installer because failed again in less than 10 minutes after driving out the driveway, got ahold of another service company, they found high temp sensor bad kicking off furnace before satisfying thermostat, got that repaired, next thing started periodic igniter fail or repeated attempt to light kick into lock out mode again. This would not fail when service man present, told me to wait till completely fail, find problem them, month later total fail.

The service company owner came out this time, found no electricity, the junction block for wiring some screws loose likely from defective assembly, yup assembled in Mexico, Once that got locked down, ignited immediately, inducer motor quieter, blower quieter, was lacking enough electric all along. Runs like should.

Point is I am out hundreds of dollars on a unit under warranty, I have contacted United Technology to see if they will reimburse for defective assembly, that is not excluded under their warranty. Submitted claim today, will see what they do about this, I will follow up with the outcome of this when I hear from them, I had previous Carrier lasted 20 plus years, cracked exchanger at 20 was still running, Why I bought another, this one with new controls been a nightmare, the faulty assembly my opinion caused all the trouble all along.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Had a top of the line Carrier Greenspeed hybrid installed 5 years ago at a cost of around $15,000. At 4 years a muffler canister in the outside unit rotted out and caused a catastrophic loss of coolant. The total costs to fix was over $2000. Carrier and my installer refused to cover under warranty. Due to a very sick and dying mother I missed 3 tune up services. They said no service no coverage. Problem with part would not have been noticed or prevented as they do not inspect this far into machine.

Now 1 year later the same thing has happened. They now tell me that my labor warranty expired 1 month ago and even though I have had the 2 services this year they now refuse to cover it. Now it will be another $3000, so $5000 to fix a 5 year old machine This is clearly a manufacturer defect and they are hiding behind technicalities. I will be contacting the federal consumer protection agency and filing formal complaints. If anyone tries to sell you a carrier system RUN. They are garbage and they refuse to take responsibility.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

We purchased 2 rooftop commercial units for a new building. Motor has already seized in one unit after less than 2 years. Motor warranty is only 1 year! Also, part is not available for another week...and we are below freezing outside!! Was impressed with the efficiency of the unit, but if the parts are only going to last a couple of years, we are wasting all of our efficiency savings through just one repair job. Hoping that this is just a "one of" situation for these units...but judging by all of these other reviews on this site, things are not looking too hopeful for the future. :-( Carrier, you need better quality and longer warranties on your products! (That is, if you are confident in their quality?)

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

For a brand new installation in a new construction we have had burnt out compressor & leaking evaporator coil unit. Of course the unit is still under warranty so Carrier will replace the part but the labor cost is the customer's responsibility. After paying $1,000 for replacing the evaporator 5 months later there is another leak in the new coil. The quality of the Carrier products is not any better than the much less expensive Chinese equivalent one. I have spoken to customer service & they are not willing to do anything & we are stuck with another expensive labor cost for a unit less than 3 years old which should not have any issues if it was made well. I will never buy another Carrier product & warn anyone contemplating about using their AC units since not only the products are of inferior quality they will not provide any customer service & will give you the run around. Stay away from Carrier products!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Despite the fact that the part was under warranty, the support desk blocked me from collecting my money back simply because I installed the HVAC blower motor myself. If I used one of their technicians the labor would have been more than the part, proving that they are just trying to steal from people and don't respect warranties. Carrier is a garbage company for both enterprise and consumers.

Carrier Heating & Cooling author review by ConsumerAffairs

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.

• Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.

• Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.

• Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.

• Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team