Carrier Heating & Cooling

Compare Air Conditioners

Research top Air Conditioners recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased CARRIER ocean environment, 17.5 SEER Heat Pumps and air handlers for new home. During annual maintenance of my 4 systems, it was determined that one subject unit had leaked all refrigerant. Had to refill at a cost of $550. Maintenance company ordered a new coil under warranty. It took 5 weeks to deliver. Another $500 of refrigerant and $700 in labor was required to make the repair. CARRIER had a known problem with the coils. The lack of stock and the long fulfillment time are logically related. Several false ship promises further belie this contention. Carrier should have made me whole for all expenses. They did not exhibiting lack of concern for the customer and their brand.

I had complaint Carrier for my split ac (1.5ton), this is my fourth complaint for your product. Last complaint was lodged for NOISE OCCUR IN SWING FLAP. Which was done by your engineer Mr. ** who had broken the swing flap and on the same day, when I switch on my air conditioner the swinging flap is not moving, and on the next day I again complain your carrier, then again Mr. ** come from your side as an engineer and said that it is broken by you, and you have to pay for this.

Tell me why should I try to repair the air conditioner and why should I touch when you are providing services for your product, when the product is under warranty

or why should I touch I am not a technician of air conditioner. This part was totally checked and repaired by your employee and now today he is saying that you have broken the part and you have to pay for that.

Not only have I had to replace the compressor, I've had the techs out 3 times over the past 3 years because it wasn't cooling properly. Now, I'm told that the TXV needs to be replaced. I've spent over $2,000 in 4 years on this piece of crap. Where is the #Carrierlawsuit?

Purchased a new Perry Home in The Oaks of Rosenberg located in Rosenberg, TX October 2011. Airtron Heating and Air Conditioning installed the unit for the builder. In August 2017 we had a 15 point inspection performed by Airtron Heating and Air Conditioning. After the inspection, we were informed there was a leak in the evaporator coil. The technician inquired about which warranty we had the 5 year or 10 year? The technician informed us after checking with his office that we only had the 5 year warranty, but that if we would have registered the unit online with Carrier we would have gotten an additional 5 year warranty from Carrier.

Unfortunately we were not informed by anybody to register the unit online with Carrier to get the additional 5 year warranty. I checked with several of my neighbors to find out if they were informed, and they like us had no knowledge of this additional warranty opportunity. I contacted Carrier and I was rudely told that it was my fault because I should have gone online and checked out the warranty myself. I was very disappointed with the explanation I was given by Carrier. I am hoping to alert future Carrier owners about this additional warranty opportunity that unfortunately I was not made aware of by the builder or the company who installed the unit.

I called Carrier customer service last year with a valid claim because my outside fan unit on my AC completely rusted out and I was told that Carrier would not replace it. The unit is 4 yrs old on a new home. Meanwhile my neighbor had the same issue with a 5 yr old home and Carrier replaced it. Unbelievable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

I worked in industrial HVAC for over 30 years. We purchased a home that had a 2012 Carrier air handler model # FX4DNF037 and Bryant Condenser. I replaced the condenser motor and cap on a unit that was placed into service 6/29/2012 on July 22/2017. After a storm blew through Sunday evening the evaporator fan blew up on start up. I called Carrier and it only has a 5 yr warranty, I was told sorry have a nice day. This is BS to have a unit 5 yrs old lose 2 motors. Not to mention the cost of the Xm evaporator motor is several hundred dollars.

These new motors does not have cost savings the consumer is told they do. If a motor replacement is $400 @ 5yrs then you will never see a return on investment, energy savings. Total junk. I suggest people install a regular 1/2 hp motor with a fan relay at half the installation cost. I've worked on hundreds of Carrier, Trane & York units from 1/2ton window units up to several thousand ton chillers. I've even been to the Carrier training facility is Syracuse NY.

As a Retired licensed stationary engr. we started noticing the lack of repairability in the 90's on all refrigeration and motor control units. Once the energy craze took off cooling units (all motors/controls etc) became electronic nightmares. The consumer is being fleeced as some contractors are charging 1000$ to replace a motor and capacitor, board whatever part they think might be bad because these units can't be properly diagnosed once a internal part goes bad. 5 yrs in and I'm looking at just under a 1000$ in repairs for a 4000$ unit. All energy money savings is lost on repairs. I use to work on units that were 20-30 years old and were still operating with minimal repairs.

Carrier put in in 2015. 30 days later TXV was bad. Put a special oil to unstick valve. NO GO. Had to put in another txv. It worked 30 days and stopped. The company in Charlotte put in an Aspen coil at their own cost. It's worked now for 4 months. Glad because it's 97 degrees today. Way to go B&E. The installer says to buy anything but a Carrier.

In 2011, I installed a 5 ton Payne outdoor unit. The contractor told me that Payne had a promotion for 10-year limited warranty if I registered the unit on their website. I did register the unit and print out the registration with 10-year limited certificate. My AC died last month and I called Payne customer relation line. They said that my unit was 5-year warranty and asked me to email the 10-year certificate. They responded that my unit is with R22 Freon and was only eligible for 5-year warranty. My experience proved that Payne would try every way to void their warranty (R22 in my case).

I have had a Carrier Infinity system for 10 years. Within 3 years the compressor went out. A few years later we had a freeze and the heat pump turned on the outside unit breaking the fan. Carrier refused to cover. A year ago the compressor went out again. Carrier was willing to cover the compressor under a 10 year warranty, but not labor. My contract stated parts and labor. They later, after much negotiation, agreed to replace the condenser (including compressor) for $2500 and would extend a new warranty for 10 years parts and labor. Now the unit dies and it's a circuit board. After replacing the unit would not come on again. It took 7 hours on the phone between the tech and Carrier to get it running again. Carrier support was reading a manual to help the tech figure out the problem. Their service even to a technician is a joke. I will never own another Carrier.

Our unit is now 12 years old, the amount of repairs we have done to the unit, we could have replaced it with a quality Trane system three time over. A year into the system, our air handler developed a small leak losing Freon, under warranty, but labor with Custom Air of Florida cost over $700. Variable speed motor was replace three times costing us over $3000. Replaced capacitors every year at $200 a pop. Twice we had to have a leak fixed in the compressor coil, $1000 each time. Carrier is crap. Called them, told too bad in less words. We have a new Trane system going in this Tuesday with a heat pump, all labor and materials covered under warranty for 6K. Screw Carrier, go to Mexico, don't buy their junk.

My dad lives in over 50 park and we had to get a new ac unit. Well 3 yrs later the motor dies and Carrier says they won't cover the warranty because my dad owns the house not the lot it is on, the motor is over $1200. Carrier says they have no obligation. The certified Carrier dealer who installed it says they have never heard of this. Our house is over 95 degrees today 7/2/17. Don't buy Carrier.

My unit is a 4 ton Carrier unit purchased in 2012. The compressor has blown and the replacement of this is $4700. When I called the company to inquire about the warranty I was on hold for over 30 minutes when Diana came on the line and proceeded to tell me that there was nothing she could do for me. She suggested I buy another unit. The unit is not even 6 years old! I then asked if I was to buy Carrier would she offer me a rebate. No, was her reply. Do not buy Carrier. They do not stand behind their product. Average life of a A/C unit is about 12-15 years. Carrier product barely made it half way.

Since our Carrier air conditioner was installed in 2013 we have had to have the coolant replaced in it every year. We are told we most likely have a small leak but that these leaks are very difficult to find. Almost $300 again this year. If I want to pay to have them find the leak and then flush the system and replace the coolant the cost will be another $1000. Sorry to say we are very disappointed with this expensive purchase with which we have no recourse.

I am a Mechanical Contractor in Detroit area. I have installed many Infinity Systems (We stopped selling them in 2012 because of all of the problems!). My own house I built in 2009 has three systems, has had 5 compressors replaced, 4 contractors, 3 controls and one complete condensing unit in 2015 which now does not work and my house is 81 degrees! INFINITY means as long as you have it you will have aggravation. It is junk. I live right on Long Lake Rd in Bloomfield Hills and on June 26th I will remove all Infinity equipment and replace with Trane. I will put all three furnaces and condensing units on the main road with a 12 foot banner which reads, "This is the kind of junk to expect of Infinity equipment." Come by and check it out ** just east of Telegraph!!!

We had just purchased a brand new Carrier Upright Inverter air conditioner which we had installed by accredited personnel of Carrier. The very next day of installation, the aircon would reflect ERROR every time we attempt to put on the unit. We reported this defect but they give us many excuses, wasting our time and just raising our blood pressure. We just paid P100,000 for the unit, and on its first week, we have to try putting it on 3-4 times before the unit actually turns on!! It's been a little over a month, and the people of Carrier and the Abenson Appliance store where we purchased the unit, simply gives us the run-around!!! Where do consumers go for HELP!!!

Had new Carrier air conditioner installed by Bloomington Heat and Air 7 years ago. Last year A/C failed and a hard start was added. A/C failed this week and I was informed compressor was bad. Good news, compressor covered by warranty... BAD news... labor and install is $1000. Nice. My old unit lasted 30 years. Nice progress.

Just closing in on 3 yrs after install already failing. $6000.00 for a piece of crap. United Technologies should be ashamed to even allow their customers to pay their hard earned money for defective equipment and that know what they are selling.

My Carrier air conditioning unit is less than 12 years old. The compressor has failed and seized. I understand the industry average should be 15 to 20 years or more of life. I paid a premium for my Carrier unit when I bought it. I contacted Carrier and they said it was out of warranty and basically it's my hard luck. Based on my experience if you want an air conditioner to last longer than 11 years 10 months, don't buy a Carrier unit. I live in Chicago. I wonder how long this unit would have lasted in Texas.

I built a new home which we moved into in 2014. The only equipment which has failed has been my Carrier gas furnace and outside a/c unit. I have had the coil in the furnace replaced, the blower motor replaced, a leak repaired on the outside unit and once again I am without air conditioning waiting on a service call which will take 3 days. My units carry a 5 year warranty (parts only, labor was for one year I believe) which could have been extended to 10 if my units were registered (for marketing purposes I was told) within 90 days of closing on my home. With the mountain of paperwork/moving/dealing with banks/contractor I missed this deadline. I cannot say they, I wasn't handled a piece of paper at some time telling me to do so. Even though I am still in the initial warranty period, and Carrier could obtain my data for marketing purposes, they will not extend my warranty for the additional 5 years.

That being said this equipment should not have failed so many times in such a short period of time. I have had no issues with any of the other appliances in my home, only my Carrier equipment. They treat their warranty like rebate cards. They know most people won't register their equipment so they can get out of the additional years of warranty. I only found out about this from a different Carrier dealer who will now be servicing my equipment. Buy something else. The equipment I have is unreliable and thus far I have not been impressed with their service. I did not have a choice as my builder had the equipment installed, when it is replaced I will stay away from Carrier.

After 5 years my Payne heat pump unit is almost completely rusted away. Even though there is a 10-year warranty "rust" is not covered by them. Payne customer service said they couldn't help me but I could call their parent company who owns Payne, Carrier, and Bryant. Of course United Technologies ignored all attempts to contact them and obviously it is the protocol for these hvac manufactures to have someone call the corporate office because they know there will be no response. Bad product. Bad customer service.

The unit has had to be fixed twice a year. I bought the unit 2010. The first year I had to replace the blower fan motor then the control board. Second year the compressor quit then it had a leak. Same thing every year one thing or another. I will replace it this year but not with another carrier unit. A big fan would be better.

Carrier Comfort 80 gas furnace blower motor & cage failure- The blower motor and blower squirrel cage have both recently failed on this 9-year-old unit. Preventive maintenance twice yearly has been consistently scheduled. Warranty was for 5 years for all parts except heat exchanger (10 years). Cost to replace both of these items was $960 less my 15% discount for being a "preferred customer". VERY HIGH PRICES! The tech volunteered that Carrier's prices on replacement parts is high. I found the same parts on other HVAC supplier websites for much less - I was initially not comfortable with handling the parts change out, but now seeing how it was done, could probably have done it myself & saved a bunch of $.

I contacted Carrier, but got no response from them. Had asked for some $ warranty assistance since these parts failed prior to 10 years of service - my tech said that after 2010, Carrier increased their warranty to 10 years on other parts. This is the first time I have had any blower failures on a furnace earlier than 20 years of service. Apparently they just don't "make 'em like they used to" and Carrier doesn't really care about their residential consumer customers either. I won't be replacing any of this equipment (when the time comes) with Carrier!

I purchased from CARRIER a 3 ton, 2 speed heat pump and Infinity 2 stage, variable speed gas furnace in May 2005. In 2012 I had to replace the capacitor and compressor. The compressor was under warranty, but still cost me $568. In September 2016 I had to replace the evaporator coil to the tune of $975. Now I am told that the compressor needs to be replaced. The compressor is less than 5 years old! I called Carrier to voice my concerns and was transferred to the next level of customer service. Stephanie #** was rude. DO NOT BUY CARRIER PRODUCTS!

I purchased two Carrier Infinity units (one lower, one upper), 2008, 2009 and have both units serviced in the spring and fall. My lower unit send a code (system failure), contact technician. I contacted the dealer and dealer came out the next day to investigate the code. The dealer reported that the compressor needed to be replaced. My agreement was 10 year warranty on compressor. The dealer offered to replace the compressor for $400 labor as labor was not included in warranty agreement.

The dealer stated that Carrier was offering some special financial incentives for the compressor issues. The dealer offered a new 18 SEER five-speed unit installed with new thermostat controller for $2000.00, labor included. Although I am disappointed with the compressor failure after 8 years, the financial assistance offered by Carrier was appreciated. My original Trane unit had to be replaced after 12 years with the Carrier Infinity Series. The original Infinity cost was $10,000. I will ask about the upper unit before lower unit is installed. I purchased an Amana unit for rental house and obtained a lifetime warranty on compressor and heat exchanger for $450, and labor was included. Amana offers a far better warranty agreement.

The heat pump function on our 1 and 1/2 year old Carrier unit is not functioning properly. What happens is that when a steady temperature of 68 degrees is set, the unit buzzes and then fails to come on. Then it buzzes again and fails to come on. Then buzzes again and fails to come on. (Repeated on purpose.) Had the installation company come out yesterday morning and they found nothing wrong. The "board" was not fried. They tested all "terminals" and said they were okay. Paid $80 for the visit that did nothing. Like to wake up every minute or so as your heat pump fails? Buy a Carrier unit!

When we needed to replace our AC unit we were advised by Lindstrom AC & Plumbing that the Carrier unit (Puron 4 Ton Air Condtioner) was the best and most advance unit for our house. In the 6 years we have the unit we have at least 4 service call per year for things going bad. They have replaced the Compressor after only 3 years, the fan motor, the thermostat, the control board, the micro cap & the contactor switch 2 times. Our old unit was 14 years old and in all that time had only 2 service repairs. Lindstrom is a great company to deal with and must be losing a ton of money for all these service calls. This week alone Lindstrom has been out 3 times as each time the unit gets working it breaks down again! The service techs tell us they have had a lot of issues with these units so maybe Carrier should step up and replace the unit!

New installation in new home May 2015. Top of the line heat pump (25VNA048). Coil froze up with massive ice buildup in cold snap December 2016. Faulty coil sensor so unit failed to go into defrost cycle. $232 for labor as out of the 1 year period. Guessing the part cost only a few dollars. Like other postings here I had no response from Carrier. Clearly they don't care. I would not use their products again. Anyone know where the parts are made?

I had the unfortunate experience of replacing two furnaces this year. One was a 12-year old Bryant and the other was a 7-year old Carrier. In both cases, the heat exchanger failed prematurely. In both cases, the technicians informed me that this is a known issue to Carrier with furnaces built between 2000 and 2012. In fact, they have been sued for this exact problem. In both cases, the part was under warranty; however, Carrier does not cover the cost of labor. Labor is the most expensive part! They also replace the exchanger with the same exact part that is known to fail! The cost of the labor and the other impacted parts cost half as much as a new furnace. In both cases, the technicians, which I trust, suggested that I not put any more money into the old furnace. The CO levels were through the roof, so they refused to turn the furnace back on due to safety concerns. Of course, the most recent happened during 3-degree weather in Minnesota.

I feel cheated by Carrier for leaving flawed furnaces in the market. I feel cheated by Carrier for only covering the part (heat exchanger) when labor alone for that item is $1300. I feel cheated by Carrier for conveniently only covering standard parts for 5 years when furnaces are expected to last 15 years. I feel cheated by Carrier/UTC because my new furnace had to either be a Bryant or Carrier brand because my house was frozen and I had no time to research other service providers and their offerings. No reason to call customer service with Carrier. They elevated the issue to "Level 2" support, which then told me to email their "Management Review Board". I sent that email 10 days ago with no response yet. I have to be one of their top customers this year after purchasing two furnaces and an AC. At least have some respect and send a response that you are reviewing the complaint!

I have several Carrier and Payne HVAC systems in several houses. I had 2 very simple technical questions regarding their thermostat. (Can the unit humidifier be set to greater than 45? and Where is the humidity sensor?) Called Customer Service looking for Tech Support line... no tech support line, they know nothing, suggested I call local "Carrier dealers," i.e. local contractors. I did, they had no idea why Carrier would refer me to them. They don't offer tech support (as they shouldn't). I called back Carrier, went to Level 2 customer service... same BS, unbelievable... no more Carrier products.

Purchased 2 model FB4CNF024 Carrier 2 ton heat pump 7/11/2014 and has had service checks by installer yearly. First blower motor out in 11/17/2015 replaced promptly under warranty. Second blower motor under warranty has just went out 11/23/2016 and told blower motor on back order til February 2017. This is on the same unit in the bedrooms. What is a senior citizen to do with severe neuropathy after brain surgery and very cold sensitive. If you use different motor voids warranty so must go without heat through winter. If I could give Carrier less than one star I would.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Carrier has been innovating cooling technology since 1881, when Willis Carrier invented the slide rule, a circular calculating instrument that was the foundation of the invention of modern air conditioning. Carrier has continued its tradition of innovation in the fields of refrigeration and air conditioning, including introducing a more efficient refrigeration solution for retail grocery stores and expanding into the industry of sports complexes.

• Smart technology: The Côr thermostat works with most home comfort system brands and allows homeowners to control their thermostat from anywhere via any Internet-enabled mobile device. Professional installation makes it easy to get started using your new smart thermostat immediately.
  • Rebates and financing: Carrier regularly offers rebates and special financing offers on some or all of their products. Make sure to check the website before you finalize your purchase to see if you qualify.
  • Customized servic: Perfect for the homeowner who doesn’t know which product to choose, Carrier’s product finder is an interactive series of questions that guides online consumers to the products that best match their needs. Find it on the Carrier website.
  • Troubleshooting resources: Carrier’s website has a thorough resource section for common issues that can arise with air conditioners. Check here first before spending time with a Carrier in-home expert. Any issues that cannot be solved with troubleshooting can be handled with a service visit from a Carrier in-home expert.
  • Energy audits: Carrier energy experts know everything there is to know about heating and cooling. They can perform an audit on your home to help you and your family be more comfortable and save money on energy costs.
  • Best for homeowners who want to install or replace central air conditioning.

Compare Air Conditioners