1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

444 Carrier Heating & Cooling Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 30, 2018

Carrier A/C warranties are a fraud. When I bought my house from the seller that had the unit installed I was represented that the unit was covered under a 10 year parts and labour warranty. When the unit recently broke down the service company told me that my warranty had expired, even though it was still within the 10 year install period. When I questioned them how this could be so, I was told that the Carrier warranty expires early when an ownership change. When I called Carrier and questioned the representative, he took note, but refused to answer any questions, insisting that the unit was out of warranty. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he essentially send me to the undesired customer sinkhole. Clearly, Carrier cares zippo for customer care, or rather they care zippo for customers. DONT PURCHASE ANY PRODUCTS FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought my home brand new in 12/10. I also have the extended 10 year warranty. In the time that I have lived here I've had AC techs out on 9 different occasions. Replaced blower motor, thermostat & evaporator coils on both units. Due to this we have them serviced quarterly, which has not made much difference. I keep the filters changed, system cleaned. It's just one thing after the other. While the parts are covered by the warranty the labor is not. To date I have spent an estimated $3k on repairs/replacements for a unit installed in a brand new home December 2010. This is beyond ridiculous. Prior to this I owned a condo that was well over 20 years old, original unit, rarely had an issue that wasn't general maintenance or Freon related. These units are garbage! It's more than irritating when I have to consider replacing two systems in my home that AREN'T EVEN OUT OF WARRANTY YET! Garbage products! Made to break!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: May 24, 2018

The ac unit is 2 years old. Have had problems with it since the company of ACS first installed this garbage for over a year. When they have came out they kept claiming it was a dirty filter. This time I showed them the receipt that it was just put in. It was a TXV valve that has prob been broke since they put it in. It has a 10 year warranty on parts but the company still wants to charge 65 dollars on the part as warranty and 35 dollars to ship it to the local dealer on top of what the repair is. I would not buy this product if my life depended on it again and also contacting the BBB due to I think they are a fraud.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My 4-ton 14-seer Sentry compressor 'exploded' & blew the terminal cap off damaging the wire harness. We closed on the home just over 1 year earlier (new construction from Savvy Homes). Even though the parts were covered under warranty (numerous failures have been reported with the LG compressor), Carrier refused to replace or even assist with labor cost. Imagine getting hit with a $2200 repair bill on an HVAC unit that was just over 1 year old. Terrible, terrible customer service.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Had a new Carrier furnace and A/C installed in August 2013. It totally worked fine until last summer. After several visits by several technicians they replaced a low pressure switch and a coil in the inside unit. Last occurred last fall. I turn the unit on the spring and no A/C. Called the company that installed it since it is still under the 5 year labor 10 year parts warranty. It required 2 lbs of Puron. They never checked for a leak but recommended I have a nitrogen test that would cost me $800.00. I asked why I have to pay for a leak test under warranty. The tech told me that it is not covered under warranty. So they will continue to put Freon in until it goes out of warranty in August then it is all on me. A wasted 9k. Never ever buy or recommend Carrier products to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: May 9, 2018

What good is a warranty when the costs are so high it makes it cheaper to replace system (central AC unit), second leak in the outside coil at one of the sweated joints in two yrs and maybe more. Called to see if they would replace condenser but they would only replace the coil making the repair costs too high. So I just fed up with this POS and went with a Trane 10 yrs parts and labor, what a expensive lesson, never again.

Original review: April 19, 2018

When my Trane heat pump finally expired after more than 20 years, I made the mistake of hiring a company, Bryant Heating and Cooling, which installs Carrier units. Within a year, the defrost board went out. After a few more years the compressor broke, Carrier replaced it under warranty, but Bryant wanted $1500 labor (about 2 hours work) to install it, but finally reduced the cost to $750. After installing the compressor, a valve in the heat exchange unit in the garage was found to be defective. A year later, the unit lost pressure, which was traced to a leaking canister next to the compressor (I'm not sure what it's called). The technician convinced Carrier to supply the part, but labor again was going to be $1500, but was reduced to $325. DON'T EVER BUY A CARRIER! If I have any more problems, I'm going to bite the bullet and replace this piece of crap which I can never depend on.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My builder installed a Carrier Infinity furnace and air conditioner when the house was built. In only 11 and half years I have spent over $4,000 in repairs on this piece of junk. The blower motor had to be replaced at 5 1/2 months at a cost of over $600. Then the evaporator coil in the furnace had to be replaced after 8 years at a cost of $1,500 due to leaks. Then the heat exchanger and the air conditioning coils had to be replaced after 11 years due to water leaking into the heat exchanger and leaks in the air conditioning coils at a cost of over $2,500. I previously had a Trane furnace and air conditioner at my other house and never spent $1 dollar in 15 years on repairs. Never again will I buy Carrier products. Going to go back to Trane.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have a house that’s only 2.5 years old and have had our AC stop working at least 6 times, all for different reasons. We have a 2 story home with a single unit damper system with two thermostats. I would not recommend this system! And the company that installed it was replacing parts and not telling us they were under warranty. Luckily we got a 2nd opinion with the last issue. DO NOT BUY CARRIER or use ONE STOP HEATING & COOLING!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Installed a Carrier HVAC in 2016 remodel. A year later the outside coil was leaking. Carrier agreed to replace the defective part, but not the labor costs. $1,000! This week A/C doesn't work and we find out a different coil is leaking. Another defective part that Carrier agrees to replace under warranty but not labor costs. In for another $500! This is absolutely unacceptable. My story is not different from many I've read here. How do we go about initializing a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Do NOT buy a Carrier. The blower motor on our $12,000 unit has faulted out after only 36 months. Carrier warranties their AC units for 5 years; however, they charge a ridiculous $176 warranty processing fee and the labor is of course not covered. I tried to negotiate no fee or a lower fee with customer service and the rep I spoke to was very flippant. I fear what other problems may occur with this system if after such a short time something like this has happened. Do NOT buy Carrier.

Original review: April 3, 2018

40MAQ High Wall Ductless System - Our office "upgraded" the heating system, each room getting the wall mounted unit and a remote. It appears that we have about as much control of the temperature as a two-year-old has bladder control. I downloaded the instruction manual to understand the operation correctly, as we did not get any advice from the installers. The "follow me" sounds great in theory, to have temp adjusted based on the placement of the remote thermostat. What a piece of garbage! We either get cooked or frozen depending if the mode = heat or cool. If the set temp is 10 degrees lower than current temp it still blasts us with hot air!! And don't try and blame it on the user (I DID RTFM) checked offset settings, the batteries, unit communications with the remote, etc. Seems to me, the entire purpose of the unit is to control the temperature! Which it does NOT do. If I could give it 0 stars I would.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Purchased Carrier AC 9/2015; had to replace fan motor in 2016; motor went out again yesterday. The part is under warranty but I have to pay for labor - so far over $1000. This is quite disappointing. I wish there was some accountability and reimbursement for this.

Original review: March 10, 2018

We had 2 systems installed for our 2000 sq ft ranch on Long Island. The basic systems seem to work well, we were able to heat our house when the outside temperature went down to 7 degrees F. However, the thermostats are horrible. They only read out to even degrees, and they barely regulate that well. We have to set them at least 2 degrees high, and on a cold day (under 20F) we have to set them as much as 10-12 degrees high to stay warm. We collected a few weeks of temperature data and sent it to our installer. They consulted Carrier who said the thermostat must be defective. It has been 2 months and we have no new thermostat. And the only thermostat that works with this system is the one they supply- it's a special thermostat. After spending $18000 have this system installed, I expect the thermostats to work. We are VERY unhappy.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Our home was built in 2010. Since that time, the day we moved in we had an air conditioning problem with our upstairs unit. It has been 7+ years. We have had repair people out to repair the units approximately 25 times and the problems persist. I wrote carrier in 2010 and they contacted me back to say somebody was looking into the problem. I never heard back. Carrier heating and cooling units are defective and they should be held liable.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I purchased and had installed a complete Carrier Heat Pump and Air handler system. The air handler failed 3 years after installation. Carrier warrantied the part but it cost over a $1000 for installation and freon. I looked at the evaporator coil and it was total rusted through. How they can manufacturer a product that fails completely after 3 years is unthinkable. Carrier was not willing to help defray any of the installation and freon costs. I will NEVER buy a Carrier product again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

In 2006, two Carrier Infinity heat pump systems were installed in my house to the tune of $25,000. Since 2010 I have not gone a single year without having a significant repair bill for at least one of the units. From 2010 through 2017 my repair bills for the units have exceeded $10,000. The compressor has gone out twice in one system and the other unit was totally replaced under a service bulletin (still cost me $1284.00 even though they admitted it was crap). Ten months after warranty period ended the compressor went out again. They say "nothing we can do". BEWARE!!! Stay away from Carrier, unless you've just got money to throw away.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We bought our Central Florida house over 15 years ago. It came with two Carrier units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I can tell you that as long as you service these bad boys and stay on top of them they will beat the heat. They survived countless hurricanes and just nasty nasty heat. To date I have put probably close to $800 in parts but don't forget I have two. So this week we will be replacing them with two 15 SEER Carrier Home Comfort systems. Looking forward to the upgrade and the hi-tech thermostats.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Want to risk dying from Carbon Monoxide poisoning? If you do not, then stay away from Carrier. Our Carrier heat exchanger failed and it turns out this is a very common thing FOR CARRIER, so common that there was a class action suit that saw Carrier doubling the warranty from 20-40 years, but unfortunately NOT issuing a recall, putting Carrier customers like me in the worst possible risk: death.

Murphy's Law: the KNOWN DEFECTS of our Carrier unit caused it to die during the coldest week of the year. A professional came out and informed us of the following: The safe max level of CO is 70 PPM. The max that should ever be measured in the exhaust port is 3,000 PPM. Ours was at 11,000 PPM. If that had backed into the central ventilation unit, even our CO detector would not have gotten us or our pets out safely, as exposure to that concentration immediately causes death.

The unit had to be shut down and I had to take time off from work and buy space heaters to keep the pipes and us from freezing. Our electric bill obviously skyrocketed and where the unit has been replaced with a new one, what was Carrier's response? "Yeah, and, what do you want us to do? There's no recall so we're not responsible." Wait. Carrier's known faulty equipment was subject to a class action suit. Carrier's known faulty equipment spewed out fatal amounts of carbon monoxide from which we could have died. Carrier's known faulty equipment has cost me an additional $1,000. And Carrier doesn't care about Carrier's known faulty equipment and its impact to customers? Want to risk dying from Carbon Monoxide poisoning? If you do not, then stay away from Carrier.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased my home brand new. The very 1st year had problems with HVAC unit all told every year for the past 7 yrs I've owned this home I have had to have repairs done to unit. Why is there no accountability from the company for such poor work.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

New Carrier Infinity Heater and central air system - Concerned product needs to be recalled since initial install issues have occurred. The outdoor unit needed to be sent back on install. Then the inside unit needed to be sent back a few weeks later. 1 Year later in 9-degree weather with no warning from the Infinity app the inside of the unit clogged and now needs replacing again. Carrier is not available on Sundays so if you need any replacement you need 2 days.

I had a perfect functioning electric unit that was replaced for cost and energy reasons, I have thousands in now in back up portable a/c's and heating units since I've lost faith. It's worrisome that the inside of the unit looks like it burned and if the house didn't drop 10 degrees while I was home we may have had more than 1 frozen pipe. Today I am going to try to get Polsinello to quickly get another one order since the service tech stated it's not fixable after charging us 270.00. The install cost 10,000.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I bought the most expensive AC system on the market two years ago from Carrier via an AC company in Delray Beach Florida. Within six months the door was broken, the compressor broke, it needed two new motors within 2 years and the coils had to be cleaned. I purchased a very expensive filtration system and the filters are always filled with mold and the unit keeps breaking down. CAN WE START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER? When I called Carrier they would not speak to me. The thermostat does not work well and is very complicated and there is no manual. They told me to go online. Really for $6,300 I need to go online. What can we do? I was told to replace the motor with NON Carrier Motor but am concerned about that as well. Your thoughts? Is there a lawyer out there to HELP?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Carrier at Home. I'm a 100% disabled veteran and a senior citizen. A faulty heat exchanger resulted in a mandatory disconnection and no heat for 5 days. Carrier Corporate validated my warranty: replace and install part or discount on new furnace. Dealer said 3-day minimum wait if part available to ship over weekend. We opted for a new furnace as 5 days without heat was enough. Carrier found a warranty loophole: "You didn't ask our permission first before you took the discount option." Discount denied. Carrier: "Our core values define who we are and guide every decision we make."

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We purchased two Carrier Infinity furnaces 6.5 years ago. Serial number 0711A033962 and 5110A03655. Cappy Heating and Air Conditioning installed them. We selected these because we believed they were the best furnaces. About five years into the life of the furnace one controller failed. Cappy replaced those. ($1000+). Now after 6.5 years the primary and secondary heat exchangers need to be replaced on both units! (My cost will be over $1,000.) We replace our air filters every 6 months so it wasn't poor airflow. It was poor workmanship.

I expected Carrier to be a reputable caring company. Nope. They are covering part of the labor on the secondary but not the primary. Really! Where is the logic there? When I spoke to Diane in the Carrier's claims department, she stuck with the policy. Might as well just talk to a robot. Conclusion, Carrier's best furnace is of poor quality & controllers are poor quality. Nobody's perfect, however, I expected they would own up to it. Nope, support is poor quality too. Very disappointing.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had two Carrier heat pump system installed in my home in southern Georgia 3 1/2 years ago. Since then I have had to have a service person visit 5 times. Today will be the 6th. The first year there was a full coverage so no real problem. After year one it's just parts. Today the service company will be replacing the indoor coil on one of the units. The cost to me will be over $800. In the past they replaced a fan motor, a capacitor, twice, made two service calls to repair a electrical short that occurred in the same place inside each unit, though 3 months apart. Byrd Heating and air did the installation and service and they are great. The rest of this write up is my opinion...

The problem is the Carrier products are junk. And it hurts me to say that because I lived in Syracuse for most of my life. Carrier was headquartered in Syracuse until they were purchased by United Technologies. They were a great company then, and very very proud of their quality. Something like I am experiencing would never happen, and if it did they would have a factory guy at your door to make it right.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Purchased a home Aug 2014 that was built in 2003. We have a total of 3 HVAC units. 1 Carrier upstairs and downstairs, both manufactured 2011 and 1 Goodman original to the house. The Carrier unit upstairs has a leaking coil inside. Estimate $1500 to replace. 6 years for a coil to go bad is terrible. I have read that Canada has a countrywide class action against Carrier for this very reason. Why not in the U.S.?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We just purchased the Carrier #fb4cnp060L00aeaa, we have paid the tech to fix the unit. 1st- there was a leak, 2nd- unit not turning off, 3rd- unit just blowing air. Our previous unit lasted 15 years without a problem, we purchased a brand name and we got a lemon and nobody is doing anything about it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

When I bought Carrier I bought 3 tons heat pumps. Carrier decided to change their world class heat pump for a “shell” pump on my models, which I had 12 visits in two years, they covered in warranty one heat pump, and installed the original old style. Now I have 2 pumps not work, and 3 ($1000) thermostats out-of-warranty. This purchase was horrible, all the carrier dealers stat oh... you bought that year... you're screwed.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

When we originally had this HVAC solution installed in our home, we had high hopes and expectations. Unfortunately, in our experience, the system has extreme reliability issues. Original installation: Mid to late Spring of 2013 (retrofitted in home built in 1998). Installer: AB **(Kansas City area). FIRST REPAIR CALL: Initial furnace startup failure in the Fall of 2013 - Swapped out the main circuit card. No cost to us as labor was still covered under AB May warranty.

SECOND REPAIR CALL: Second cooling system startup failure in the Spring of 2014 Performed some airflow adjustments and modified installation of ducting to suck from interior air. Reportedly, the ducting route was too long for use on the intake side We were not charged for any parts or labor as labor warranty was right at the end of coverage period. THIRD REPAIR CALL: Initial furnace startup failure in October of 2017 - Swapped out the motor. Parts covered under warranty, but not locally stocked. This resulted in $$$ for two service calls: Troubleshoot issue. Replace part and test system. This was in addition to several days of burning a gas fireplace with fans.

The good: When the system is working, we have experienced much more even heating and cooling throughout our lofted, multi-level home with about the same or slightly lower energy usage. The 10 year factory parts warranty has saved us thousands of dollars on the replacement of the high tech components. The bad: With 3 failures in 5 tries, I have little confidence in the ability of this system to start up during season changes. Repairs have taken hundreds of dollars out of my pocket and if not for Carrier's 10 year parts warranty, we would be out thousands of dollars. Where's the efficiency in that? I could have kept my old 80% builder grade furnace for the past 4.5 years and still be ahead of the total cost of ownership for this new "high-efficiency" model.

Summary: As of this writing, our experience dictates that we would NOT recommend this unit. The "reliability" of the system is more like a year 1/Version 1.0 product, not year 3 (model was apparently introduced in 2011). Carrier, you have significant work to do before I change my feelings about your product line based upon this experience. In fact, if this unit costs me another repair service call before 2030, I will cut my losses by scrapping the whole thing in favor of a different manufacturer.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I built a home in 2011 with a Carrier 48ES heating/cooling unit. By 2017 the unit's heater exchanger tubes are completely rusted and the unit must be replaced for a price of over $6000! I find it interesting that Carrier's warranty only covers the unit for 5 years.

Carrier Heating & Cooling Company Information