Find an Air Conditioners partner

3. Air Conditioners

3.7/5 (267 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Carrier Heating & Cooling

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Carrier Heating & Cooling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrier Heating & Cooling?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

We purchased a new Carrier Infinity 18 SEER HE system in April 2018 ($12,300). The system was for the downstairs of a 3200 square foot home and installed in a crawlspace. At the time of installation, there had never been any "moisture" issues in the crawlspace for the 20 year life of the home, not with the original owners, not with two home inspections, and not with our experience with the previous HVAC system that had been in place for fifteen years, in fact the crawlspace had always been very dry. Once we installed the Carrier Infinity system, we began to notice problems with keeping the humidity levels in our home at a reasonable level, we were seeing 65-76 percent readings on a regular basis.

We reached out to the Carrier dealer and they told us we needed to replace all of the ductwork underneath the house. We moved forward and did as was suggested ($4600) in August of 2019. A few weeks after the ductwork install, we switched to heat pump and "thought" the problem was resolved as humidity levels in the winter stayed around 45% inside the home during the winter when the heat pump was being used and there was no use of the AC. Fast forward to summer 2020. We started using the AC again in April and by July 2020 the beautiful hardwoods in our home began to buckle and we began to see incredible amounts of moisture building in our walls.

Our light switches actually began to buckle from the moisture, and if you took one off the wall, the moisture was enough to drip onto the floor. We have pictures of all of this. Moisture readings were back to 68 to 78 percent and 83% in the crawlspace. Through word of mouth and social media, we found several other families who were experiencing the exact same issue in our county alone, their homes, walls, and floors also being slowly destroyed by intense moisture after installation of the Carrier Infinity 18 seer system. We were in contact with the Carrier dealer throughout. Unfortunately, the dealer had a massive fire that destroyed all of their records and they had to rebuild, so there are no records of our original install other than the paperwork we have.

After their rebuild that delayed our interaction, the dealer came again to our home and rewired our system to use only two drive phases instead of the designed five. This did not bring the moisture levels down. We were told several times there was a moisture problem in our crawlspace and that was causing our issues. We worked with our homeowners insurance agent and he sent a home inspection/moisture specialist who determined there was no runoff or water issue in our crawlspace and suggested the problem may be the installation of the super efficient Carrier system in 2018. The dealer returned again in September 2020 and replaced the ductwork again, suggesting that the duct boots were not installed correctly in the first ductwork replacement in 2019.

This also did not address the intense humidity issue, with readings in our crawlspace reaching 83% moisture in certain areas. Inside the home we could not maintain anything under 68% humidity. The dealer then brought a large dehumidifier in late October 2020 that has been running all winter. With the AC off, the basement has dried out with use of the heat pump and zero use of the AC all winter. We will be installing the optional integrated Carrier dehumidifier next and will see if that addresses the issue when we switch back to AC, somewhere in early April.

After hearing from all the other families that have experienced the exact same intense humidity and moisture damage in their homes after installing the Carrier Infinity 18 seer system, we are not confident that we will see any difference. We are out almost $18K, we have a practically new HVAC system that is slowly destroying our home, we will need to replace all of our floors and subfloors, and we are praying that our wiring has not corroded. Carrier was called to one of the other families' homes and told them what we were told, that they had a "moisture" problem and that it was not the system.

Carrier KNOWS this is an issue, the dealers KNOW this is an issue, but Carrier refuses to address it. We are writing this review to bring awareness. Consumer BEWARE. Carrier NEEDS to address this and figure out what's causing this 18 seer 5 phase system to destroy certain homes. We hope this honest review keeps others aware of what can happen with a Carrier Infinity 18 seer system and keeps others from living the nightmare we have since the installation of this system.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

We purchased a carrier system in Nov. 2019, it had a condenser leak in Dec.2020, four days later the compressor stopped working. Total labor for both jobs was $2500.00 dollars. Carrier’s customer service denied payment for all or part of the labor. The exact statement in the e-Mail from Mr. Lee ** was “Carrier only pays for excessive or expensive labor cost”. David L Gitlin "Dave" President/CEO, Carrier Global Corp stated in on the company’s website “we want to do what is right”.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

ICP is an A/C manufacturer known for Carrier brand. My Model PHJ4 runs constantly and does not ever cool my home to 78 F in summer and freezes in winter set at 60 F in Florida! It never has worked properly since brand new install on 9/30/19. I contacted manufacturer and they were no help. I had a company (that did not do install) come out they had me replace the new duct work and relocate the return $800. They tested everything, spoke with ICP and came out 3 times. Nothing was ever fixed and they wanted me to reconstruct my home to suit the A/C unit. They even told me they had other customers with the same problem. The unit replaced was a 25 year old Trane that worked perfectly with original home manufacturer's duct and return layout. My power bill with this unit has tripled and it does not even do 1/2 the job the old unit did.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

3 major issues in 5 1/2 years. Replaced Condenser Fan Motor 2 years. Replaced Air Handler Blower motor 3 years. Replaced Compressor 5 1/2 years. Only good thing was a 10 year parts warranty. Unfortunately, labor not included. Compressor cost for just labor and freon approx $900. I will not purchase a Carrier product again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Had the blower motor go out 5 years and 1 week after buying my new home. Called them and was told nothing they could do. It is by date of install and my unit was installed in May during the build. Motor is a computer controlled direct drive so has to come from Carrier. $1300 for motor to last 5 years. Cheap junk. I will never by another Carrier product no matter how much I spend for a new unit. Buyer beware and stay far far away from this brand.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

We got a new HVAC system in 2009, 11 years ago. It was Carrier's top of the line furnace and central air conditioner at the time. It was the Infinity System. Quite expensive to say the least. Well, fast forward 11 years (to 2020). The Carrier central air conditioner's condenser apparently went out. The company who installed it (In 2009) came out to diagnose a grinding sound I heard coming from the unit. Guess what?! Yep, you guessed it! My entire central air conditioner would need replaced due to the condenser failing!

I know a couple family members who've had their central air conditioners for over 30 years, and they're still in working order. If this "new" efficient HVAC equipment can't hold up for at least 20 years, doesn't that outweigh any efficiency improvements you got out of them?! In my opinion, not only are you out of an expensive unit, but for environmental purposes- it would be better to have a less efficient system last 30 years than a more efficient system last 10! Why? Because the materials to make it end up in a landfill 3 times sooner than the old style air conditioners!

If I had known this Carrier AC would have only lasted 11 years, I would have went with a less expensive brand! What's the point paying nearly twice as much, potentially, only to have your unit completely fail 10-11 years later! PS: I recently went out and bought a new window AC. I couldn't afford to spring for a new central AC, nor had any desire after that experience!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Installed new Bryant heat pump unit and Carrier unit 7 years ago. The large print communicates a 10 warranty on parts and labor, finer print says 5 yrs unless registered within 90 days, not sure what providing and name and phone number has to do with adding another 5 years - needless to say, bad on me for not reading the finer print and registering. On my second (third if you count the original) heat pump fan motor. 1st covered under the 5 year warranty, second $800 plus was not.

Now my blower fan on the Carrier unit is gone. Again no luck with Carrier on honoring or at least part of the $1280 cost to replace the unit. They were unwavering on their position that because I did not register that they would not honor the same warranty they would have to in one of the three states that have laws covering such warranty conditions. Between differing house I’ve installed three new higher-end Carrier ac-heating systems. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Carrier “top of the line” unit goes bad after 5 and 1/2 years. Carrier will NOT honor warranty for a $12.000 unit cause you are not the original owner! This is an unethical business practice. Will not recommend or buy ANY carrier AC units!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Purchased new home that came with Carrier Central Air Conditioning unit 9 months ago. The A/C unit died twice (vendor never showed up for third trip but I was able to get it working). Please do not purchase anything from Carrier. You are responsible for all labor from day one of purchase. I live in Florida and vendor who repairs Carrier products is so backed up that they can't repair it in a timely manner. This is the worst unit I have seen in all my homes I have ever purchased!

Original review: July 28, 2020

Our AC which is under warranty has gone through 4 inverter boards since end of May. Living in Florida doesn't help in the fact that we have been without air by the time the last piece is in 20 days. Our local service company has done all they can to serve us. Our energy company has assured us that it is not a spiking issue with them.

So now it has been determined that it's a bad compressor after replacing all of these inverter boards. Problem is there are no compressors available. What is up with that? An AC that is 4 years old and they do not have parts for it? In fact the inverter board the service company is holding is the only one available in Florida. So another 4 to 6 days in the heat. Don't understand how a company such as Carrier can't have parts available.

Carrier Heating & Cooling Company Information