2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Briggs and Stratton Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I bought a Snapper XD electric mower, but it's a Briggs and Stratton product and comes with a manual with their name on it. One of the two 82V batteries that came with the mower would not fully charge on the initial charge and never would on subsequent charges. According to the manual, it is charging to 60-80% of capacity. It runs the mower about 25% less time than the "good" battery that came with it. I've now called B&S 3 times. The first two times, I was encouraged to use the battery a few times and recharge it, to see if it would become normal. It hasn't. I called today, expecting them to send me a new battery. The service rep said that his supervisor said that my faulty battery is performing better than their minimum standards and they're not going to replace it. Thanks a lot!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Early this summer, I purchased a mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. I literally used it four times before the engine failed. I took it to the dealer thinking that they would honor the warranty being a great company and reputable brand. It sat at the dealer for six weeks before I finally called Briggs and Stratton to give them the business over the phone. One week later, they rejected my claim due to lack of lubrication. The mower was running fine the first four times I used it. How does a good motor just fail when the thing had oil in it from day one?? DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT. I will continue to give them bad reviews, because they completely let me down. Having to borrow someone else's mower every week while I waited for a rejected claim that I thought would be a no-brainer for them, is not something I will ever go through again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I purchased the mower in April of 2017 to mow a 1/4 acre city lot with a ranch home, garage and pass through driveway. This yard takes just under 20 minutes to mow. Mowing in this area is once a week in April through June, every other week July through November and none in winter. I had finished mowing and was cleaning the mower. I test pulled after cleaning and the mower didn't start. On the fourth pull the mower made a clank sound and I could no longer pull the starting cord. I tried internet recommendation such as removing the plug and pulling, checking the pull mechanism, and checking the blade. The engine remained seized. I checked the oil, proper level and clear.

The mower has a three year warranty so Toro recommended taking it to an authorized dealer. The dealer reported it and Toro forwarded the claim to Briggs and Stratton. Briggs said I must've run it without oil so the warranty is voided. They didn't care about the age and very little use this mower had seen. Purchased April 2017, died in June 2019. Really Briggs and Stratton? Something has changed.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a Toro 20339 model lawnmower from Home Depot. It made with Briggs and Stratton Engine. After 3.5 month it won't start. I took it to Power Zone for repair, dealer send claim to them but they request dealer sent the broken engine to them. One weeks later I received email from them. Said, "Failure due to lubrication. Your claim has been rejected."

Very disappointed in a lawnmower you spend a lot of money on that is supposed to be reliable that can not even withstand more than 3.5 month. This is not my first lawnmower. Basically put gas in the gas tank and add oil in the oil tank and check oil level on the dipstick indication. Briggs and Stratton just want customer pay for repairs. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers. Pay to send their faculty engine. I will never buy Briggs and Stratton product. They always find some way let customer pay for. I asked explanation. Didn't get response.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

21 h.p. Platinum engine on Sears YT3000 lawn tractor. What a piece of junk!!! The engine is only a couple of years old and I've kept up with ALL the maintenance requirements to a fault. One day it decided to start billowing out white smoke, blown head gasket. Ok. Had it repaired. Taking off the valve cover, gas POURED out. Apparently the NIKKI carb can leak gas through the system while it is shut off!! So I had to have a gas shut off valve installed. NOW the dang thing won't start, it only grunts but won't turnover. Apparently there is too much pressure in the cylinder because the cam shaft pressure release is not working. Major repair. I quit!!! Why is this company allowed to exist!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Back in 2013 or 2014 I bought a Cyclone Rack with a Briggs engine on it. 2 years ago had to replace breather tub on it and is busted again. Now I have to replace carb on it. All the numbers I have gotten off of it none of them work. Diagrams that you find don't list all parts in pics. All pics are so faded you can't hardly read. Parts strip out easy. Have had to have helicoil put in for a bolt. Will never buy anything with Briggs engine again.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My family has a 6.5hp on a Snapper push mower, and 3 nearly identical, 5hp, cast iron sleeve, horizontal shaft Briggs on a woodsplitter, generator, and tiller. The mower was purchased new in 2008 and the others are late 80's models bought used. You should expect to have the carburetor replaced/rebuilt at some point. Annual oil changes are a must. I keep fuel stabilizer in everything to prevent ethanol from gumming up. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy. I would recommend these engines to anyone.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Most people expect to do nothing to their lawn mower but start it and cut the grass. If you use ethanol gasoline you MUST USE FUEL STABILIZER to combat the negative effects of the ethanol in fuel. My last Toro push mower with Briggs and Stratton engine lasted 19 years, absolutely NO ISSUES. Annual oil change, spark plug change, sharpen blade and always added fuel stabilizer to my gasoline supply can. Read online effects of ethanol in fuel, fuel goes bad 30-60 days, use fuel stabilizer good for at least one year. I have two lawn mowers both Toro with Briggs and Stratton engines, after sitting 6 months this winter in outside shed, started on first or second pull. Lazy owners who DO NOT perform annual maintenance OR have a mower shop repair the annual maintenance is usually the main issues with poor mower performance. Buy American, Briggs and Stratton is the best quality.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A relative bought me a new push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine about 4 years ago. Almost immediately gas was leaking from one of the small tubes on the engine. I used it that summer a few times but mostly used my older Honda push mower. The next summer I used the B&S mower a few times and then it wouldn't even start, even with the automatic starter on the mower. I took it to a guy that worked on lawn mowers and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. After that, I took out my Honda push mower-that I purchased new in 1996 and it started on the FIRST pull. The Honda that is now 23 years old, and that I am still using in May 2019, with nothing ever changed on it except for the spark plug. While the almost new Briggs & Stratton piece of ** won't even start! Briggs & Stratton, you are Pathetic!!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Bought a Poulan Pro lawn mower about a year ago equipped with a Briggs & Stratton Series 500E engine. It performed as expected the first couple of times I used it then took a turn for the worse. It began "smoking" from the area of the air cleaner and seemed to lack power. This problem continued to get worse where the engine "quit". The air filter was VERY saturated with oil. I ended up throwing it away. The engine appears to have "blown up" after no more than 8-10 hours of use! I couldn't believe it! Once upon a time Briggs and Stratton was an "icon" in small engines but it doesn't appear to be that way anymore. My advice is to anyone purchasing equipment with a small engine, shop for anything WITHOUT a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Briggs and Stratton Company Information