2.9/5 (441 ratings)

About Briggs and Stratton

Briggs and Stratton Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Briggs and Stratton?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Used as replacement engine on Steiner 420 only to have breather cover on valve pan vibrate off and begin to leak oil while mowing and can't notice resulting in way premature engine failure in 112 hours. B&S could have cared less when contacted about part falling off engine. Had a lot of things with engines but none ever had parts fall off. I would suggest any other motor for repair.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I bought this Huskee lt4200 mower with a 17.5 Briggs and Stratton engine not even a year ago and am having nothing but troubles with it. Engine compression is shot. Won’t start without manually turning the flywheel. I’m a 46-year-old woman. I am so unhappy that this is not working. We did everything the book said and it still won’t work.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I bought a Husqvarna with a B&S 18.5 Itek motor 03/24/19. Garage kept oil, and filter changed 3 times and a lot good it did. The mower looks brand new but still has a compression problem. The motor simply won't start. Now I have to find a mechanic and they will have to take the motor off to find the broken part. My yard is less than a 1/2 acre but still this is just too much for this Husqvarna with the 18.5 item mower. IT IS MY FIRST AND LAST. I haven't been able to speak to a real person about this yet.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I have been a small engine mechanic for years. Briggs & Stratton have never been able to get their carburetors are the governor's right and they will break down before warranty is finished and right after.

Resolution response: June 10, 2020

My error. Briggs and Stratton was not a part of my dissatisfaction with my TORO zero turn mower.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Purchased a Toro zero turn with a BRIGGS and Stratton 24hp motor. I have a level 7500 square foot lot that I cut frequently and still only have 30 hours on a 3-year-old mower. The mower is kept in a shed and not exposed to the elements. Recently the Briggs engine started smoking with a strong odor of unburnt gas. Had it taken in for repairs (about a month before the 3 yr warranty expires). After disassembly, the repair shop said the cylinders were rusted.(?) To my knowledge I've never used a high content ethanol gas. Toro and Briggs rejected a warranty claim saying the water in the ethanol rotted the cylinders. My $4000 zero turn now needs a $2000 repair. The guys I work with laughed when I told them I bought a Toro mower and laughed harder when I said it had a Briggs and Stratton motor on it.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Craftsman Lawn tractor 21hp Briggs & Stratton Single cylinder Blown engine rod went through block. Terrible Engine. Only used the tractor 6 times. Bought brand new. What a disappointment. They need a recall on this garbage!

Original review: May 2, 2020

Long story short, a mower I bought in the fall is 100% dead come spring. I took proper care and maintenance and the end of the lawn season. It is junk. Went and bought another, but not a Briggs & Stratton.

Original review: April 11, 2020

I have a 21 HP single cylinder Briggs and cut half acre it's a pretty steep slope at least 2 times a week plus some other peoples yards I do and it's going on 11. Not a single issue with it. Runs like the day it was bought and my lawn mowers have Briggs on them too. Never had issues so I dont see why all you are having issues. You must not maintain them properly. My neighbor had a mower he bought 12 years ago. Used and never changed the oil and it's still running today. I wouldnt own any other than a Briggs.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I bought this mower from "brandnewengines.com" on March 20th, 2019 with my understanding it had a 2 year warranty. In the fall the mower started running very rough (chocking). I contact brandnewengine's about where to take it for warranty work. They said "Ball Equipment in Parkville, Mo. was the closest Simplicity authorized deal". In early December 2019 I took it to Ball Power Equipment. When I told them the problem they said it should be covered by my warranty. In early January they finally called saying my mower was ready and the bill was $500+ dollars. When I asked why it was not covered by warranty the girl said she didn't know and the owner "Mr. **" would call me probably the next day.

After 3 days Mr. ** called and said the spindles that he replaced were ruined because they had no grease in them. Impossible- the mower was fully serviced by brandnew engines before delivery and I greased it several times in the 9 months I used (the manual only calls for lubrication once a year (12 months). He said the fuel pump was ruined by me running ethanol fuel in it (manual say up to 10% is safe). He also said blade needed replaced. So I contacted simplicity about the warranty work. A man (Ron ?) Called me and said he talked to Mr ** and that he told him the spindles were ruined by me hitting something (changed the story sounded better I guess) and that I was should be running additive to the fuel to counteract the ethanol (in my manual the only time it says anything about adding additives to the fuel is storage).

It was obvious from the beginning Ball's was not happy about doing warranty work on a mower he didn’t sell. He was asking where I bought the mower and why (HE said probably to avoid paying taxes on it). He was rude and bound to find a way to charge me. Ron from simplicity was no help (I was wrong; dealer was right). The reason I bought the m mower was knowing I would be covered for 2 years. But I see now how you stand behind your product. I will not recommend your product to anyone. Ed **. p.s. The only work I authorised was the carburetor problem. Model# 2691318-00

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I bought a Toro mover with a B & S engine. I don't use it a lot so I use fuel stabilizer. Guess what? After 6 months it won't start! Called a dealer as HD does nothing. All they had to say was: "Your fuel is old, you didn't use a stabilizer, might have a carburetor issues etc etc. Bring it in!" So I guess this means I have to repair this POS (piece of **) every 6 months. Ridiculous! My handy friend couldn't get it going either.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

Have a one year old Simplicity Courier zero turn with this engine that does not like to start in cold weather. SUPPOSEDLY Briggs & Stratton and its ReadyStart system should make it as easy as a car, but every car I've ever owned starts easier than this thing in the cold. I can get no answers from B & S or Simplicity about solving the problem other than to take it to a 'warranty center' - but they don't tell me where one is or how I'm supposed to get it there. Useless support.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

If it was possible to give no stars I would do so. They have the worst customer service, I was on hold for 30 minutes until I decided to call from another line and then they answered. Supervisor talked over me while I was trying to speak and was not trying to do anything to help the situation. They were an actual headache! I hate this company with a passion and I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

2 months past warranty. The engine on my 2017 mower is junk and yes I take great care of all my engines. Changing oil is cheap. This engine has had 3 oil changes in 25 hours. No reason to crap out other than a decompressor that would not have to be there if they could put on a good starter. This was engineered to fail. They should be ashamed of this.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I bought a Snapper XD electric mower, but it's a Briggs and Stratton product and comes with a manual with their name on it. One of the two 82V batteries that came with the mower would not fully charge on the initial charge and never would on subsequent charges. According to the manual, it is charging to 60-80% of capacity. It runs the mower about 25% less time than the "good" battery that came with it. I've now called B&S 3 times. The first two times, I was encouraged to use the battery a few times and recharge it, to see if it would become normal. It hasn't. I called today, expecting them to send me a new battery. The service rep said that his supervisor said that my faulty battery is performing better than their minimum standards and they're not going to replace it. Thanks a lot!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

Early this summer, I purchased a mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. I literally used it four times before the engine failed. I took it to the dealer thinking that they would honor the warranty being a great company and reputable brand. It sat at the dealer for six weeks before I finally called Briggs and Stratton to give them the business over the phone. One week later, they rejected my claim due to lack of lubrication. The mower was running fine the first four times I used it. How does a good motor just fail when the thing had oil in it from day one?? DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT. I will continue to give them bad reviews, because they completely let me down. Having to borrow someone else's mower every week while I waited for a rejected claim that I thought would be a no-brainer for them, is not something I will ever go through again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I purchased the mower in April of 2017 to mow a 1/4 acre city lot with a ranch home, garage and pass through driveway. This yard takes just under 20 minutes to mow. Mowing in this area is once a week in April through June, every other week July through November and none in winter. I had finished mowing and was cleaning the mower. I test pulled after cleaning and the mower didn't start. On the fourth pull the mower made a clank sound and I could no longer pull the starting cord. I tried internet recommendation such as removing the plug and pulling, checking the pull mechanism, and checking the blade. The engine remained seized. I checked the oil, proper level and clear.

The mower has a three year warranty so Toro recommended taking it to an authorized dealer. The dealer reported it and Toro forwarded the claim to Briggs and Stratton. Briggs said I must've run it without oil so the warranty is voided. They didn't care about the age and very little use this mower had seen. Purchased April 2017, died in June 2019. Really Briggs and Stratton? Something has changed.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a Toro 20339 model lawnmower from Home Depot. It made with Briggs and Stratton Engine. After 3.5 month it won't start. I took it to Power Zone for repair, dealer send claim to them but they request dealer sent the broken engine to them. One weeks later I received email from them. Said, "Failure due to lubrication. Your claim has been rejected."

Very disappointed in a lawnmower you spend a lot of money on that is supposed to be reliable that can not even withstand more than 3.5 month. This is not my first lawnmower. Basically put gas in the gas tank and add oil in the oil tank and check oil level on the dipstick indication. Briggs and Stratton just want customer pay for repairs. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers. Pay to send their faculty engine. I will never buy Briggs and Stratton product. They always find some way let customer pay for. I asked explanation. Didn't get response.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

21 h.p. Platinum engine on Sears YT3000 lawn tractor. What a piece of junk!!! The engine is only a couple of years old and I've kept up with ALL the maintenance requirements to a fault. One day it decided to start billowing out white smoke, blown head gasket. Ok. Had it repaired. Taking off the valve cover, gas POURED out. Apparently the NIKKI carb can leak gas through the system while it is shut off!! So I had to have a gas shut off valve installed. NOW the dang thing won't start, it only grunts but won't turnover. Apparently there is too much pressure in the cylinder because the cam shaft pressure release is not working. Major repair. I quit!!! Why is this company allowed to exist!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Back in 2013 or 2014 I bought a Cyclone Rack with a Briggs engine on it. 2 years ago had to replace breather tub on it and is busted again. Now I have to replace carb on it. All the numbers I have gotten off of it none of them work. Diagrams that you find don't list all parts in pics. All pics are so faded you can't hardly read. Parts strip out easy. Have had to have helicoil put in for a bolt. Will never buy anything with Briggs engine again.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My family has a 6.5hp on a Snapper push mower, and 3 nearly identical, 5hp, cast iron sleeve, horizontal shaft Briggs on a woodsplitter, generator, and tiller. The mower was purchased new in 2008 and the others are late 80's models bought used. You should expect to have the carburetor replaced/rebuilt at some point. Annual oil changes are a must. I keep fuel stabilizer in everything to prevent ethanol from gumming up. Parts are cheap and maintenance is easy. I would recommend these engines to anyone.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Most people expect to do nothing to their lawn mower but start it and cut the grass. If you use ethanol gasoline you MUST USE FUEL STABILIZER to combat the negative effects of the ethanol in fuel. My last Toro push mower with Briggs and Stratton engine lasted 19 years, absolutely NO ISSUES. Annual oil change, spark plug change, sharpen blade and always added fuel stabilizer to my gasoline supply can. Read online effects of ethanol in fuel, fuel goes bad 30-60 days, use fuel stabilizer good for at least one year. I have two lawn mowers both Toro with Briggs and Stratton engines, after sitting 6 months this winter in outside shed, started on first or second pull. Lazy owners who DO NOT perform annual maintenance OR have a mower shop repair the annual maintenance is usually the main issues with poor mower performance. Buy American, Briggs and Stratton is the best quality.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A relative bought me a new push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine about 4 years ago. Almost immediately gas was leaking from one of the small tubes on the engine. I used it that summer a few times but mostly used my older Honda push mower. The next summer I used the B&S mower a few times and then it wouldn't even start, even with the automatic starter on the mower. I took it to a guy that worked on lawn mowers and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. After that, I took out my Honda push mower-that I purchased new in 1996 and it started on the FIRST pull. The Honda that is now 23 years old, and that I am still using in May 2019, with nothing ever changed on it except for the spark plug. While the almost new Briggs & Stratton piece of ** won't even start! Briggs & Stratton, you are Pathetic!!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Bought a Poulan Pro lawn mower about a year ago equipped with a Briggs & Stratton Series 500E engine. It performed as expected the first couple of times I used it then took a turn for the worse. It began "smoking" from the area of the air cleaner and seemed to lack power. This problem continued to get worse where the engine "quit". The air filter was VERY saturated with oil. I ended up throwing it away. The engine appears to have "blown up" after no more than 8-10 hours of use! I couldn't believe it! Once upon a time Briggs and Stratton was an "icon" in small engines but it doesn't appear to be that way anymore. My advice is to anyone purchasing equipment with a small engine, shop for anything WITHOUT a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This mower has no wheel adjusters to set how high or low you want to mow. It worked great but for only 1 season. The following spring it would not start at all. It is junk. Do not buy it. It is worthless.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I bought a Toro 22” recycle mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine in it 3 years ago. Was the worst mistake I ever made. I had to replace the carburetor 3 times because it was made of cheap plastic which could not be adjusted and they kept breaking down. The mechanic could not just clean it out and adjust it, it had to be replaced. The mower kept losing power and sounding very sick every time I used it even after replacing the carburetor. I was only cutting small patches of lawn that my riding mower couldn’t reach. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous mowers.

This year when I took it in to have it serviced for the beginning of the season. My mechanic called me and said the engine had no “juice” and there was nothing he could do to fix it. Now I had to buy another mower after only 3 seasons! When I called Briggs and Stratton customer service the manager Jeff told me he’d look into what they might be able to do for me and promised to call back in 24 hrs but of course when I hadn’t heard from him in over a week I called back. Of course he claimed he was just going to call me... He said there was little they could do for me unless I sent the engine to them and even then there was no guarantee.

Seriously that is your customer service...make the consumer pay to send you their faulty engine even though my mechanic who was certified by Briggs and Stratton to work on their engine said it was dead. Then when I asked for a corporate number he couldn’t give me one because supposedly even they don’t have a direct line. Sounds pretty fishy to me. My suggestion to anyone looking for a new lawnmower... DO NOT buy anyone that has a Briggs and Stratton engine in it because they are garbage and the company doesn’t stand behind its product!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I bought a Toro model 20339 mower from Home Depot in March 2018. I should have looked at the one-star reviews more carefully because apparently a lot of people had issues with the engine in this model. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton (of course) and it stopped working after only about 5 months of use in August 2018. I took it to a Service Center and was told that a "rod broke through the engine block due to a lack of lubrication." The "lack of lubrication" is completely untrue. I put in enough oil to the required markings on the dipstick and checked frequently. (I have been mowing lawns for 30 years so I know what I am doing.) Anyway, Briggs and Stratton is not honoring their warranty for their defective product claiming that the consumer is at fault. (How convenient for them.) As difficult as it is, I will never buy another Toro, nor any other product that has a Briggs and Stratton engine. (Even though they pretty much have a monopoly.) Sigh.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I bought this can a couple of years ago and carried, perhaps, 10 cans of fuel. The spout dripped fuel whenever the can was used. The vapor reduction mechanism nearly required a second person to help open the mechanism so that the fuel would flow. Holding that spout open to dispense fuel requires it to be jammed against something in the receiving fuel spout while supporting at least part of the weight of the can. That pressure is enough to cause the spout to disconnect from the can spilling more fuel.

Thus, this silly, cheap plastic mechanism to reduce the escape of fumes is much more likely to be responsible for a major fuel spill. In this case, the spill ruined a $130 pair of New Balance 840 shoes. This can sells for about $16.00 but is worthless, much less. Let me say that more clearly, it's worthless. This piece of crappy plastic must be a source of great pride to the engineers that designed it. If designing crummy fuel cans loses it appeal, you can always move on to plastic flatware.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My one year old Briggs 500e mower failed to start. I did some research and discovered that the carb has a design flaw, the fuel jet is too small and clogs. It is entirely made of plastic and is inferior. The company blames everyone from the EPA to the oil companies and refuses to take responsibility. Do not buy their motors, the company is not standing behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I purchased a Briggs and Stratton single stage snow blower last fall 2018. Not even through this winter season and the product has failed. I tried to Contact them for warranty repairs, and it has been such a nightmare that I've given up trying. I called a repair shop and found out the part number I needed to do the repair myself. This company sells an inferior product and then makes it so difficult to get things resolved in a timely manner. Huge regret, wish I would have done more research before purchasing. Hope this helps someone else from making the same mistake.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Bought a Victa self-propelled lawnmower in New Zealand which is a company owned by Briggs and Stratton. The mower has a fairly high price tag and is sold in NZ with a 4-year warranty. Some repair needed to be done: clutch cable had snapped and engine rattled. The mower had done about 15 hours of work in the 2 years I had it. Initially I was asked the full cost of repair about $200.00 and after querying the bill it was reduced to $68.00. I should not have had to pay anything as no maintenance or service was performed during the repair work. I bought another mower now and will try to sell my lemon as I am expecting the clutch cable to snap again after 15 hours running time.

Briggs and Stratton Company Information