Awntech

Compare Awning Companies

Research top Awning Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

12 Days ago I emailed Awntech a question, with photos of where I wanted to install the awning. The question was, can I under-mount (to the 'ceiling' of our porch balcony) or side-mount the awning (connect it to the two side walls). I got one response, May 3, saying "please call me, I don't understand your question" from Shawn **. Since then I've called and left 3 messages and emailed an even more detailed explanation of the question, with no response. It's tiresome to have to try so hard just to get an answer when I'm potentially going to spend thousands of dollars with them. After having read the other reviews about the quality, it sounds like I need to look for an alternative awning.

Consumer Increased Rating!

My previous posting regarding Awntech has an update. After going over all the confusing details with a (very charming) Katherine ** of Awntech, I would like to update the following: Turns out GENERAL Awning LLC were the people I ordered the awnings through. These were the scoundrels who could care less about the problems I had encountered. They are resellers and not manufacturers, (kind of like Chevrolet and the dealer relationship). The parts Awntech made still gave me a problem, but Mrs. ** attitude was "What can we do to make you happy?" And really, what else can you ask for? I have been appeased. If you need an awning, AVOID GENERAL AWNINGS LLC. They don't care about nothing after the sale.

Carlo of Sewanee, TN on

Original Review

I purchased 2 awnings to add some finishing touches to the front of the house I built this past year. I ordered the awnings before the interior walls were insulated and dry walled - strictly to be assured of solid wood backing. I removed the units from the box, looked them over and roughed in the wood placement based on the brackets length and the instructions provided (directions confusing at best). Well... its finishing touches now, and the awnings DON'T FIT! The smaller awning, albeit complete, was welded up crooked, the brackets were twisted and didn't match. The larger unit (for over the front door), that was another problem, that awning didn't bolt together at all. It wasn't twisted, it was 2" short of mating with its intended parts.

I called AWNTECH. The "associate" as he described himself, couldn't be more disinterested, and admitted that this was not the first one he had heard of being welded up wrong. I sourced a local fabricator to make these 2 units salvageable, additional costs incurred + time and aggravation. Not once did AWNTECH offer to make ANYTHING right. If you're considering this manufacturer for an awning... think twice. The nice looking pictures on the website are not what I got. Throw dice, you might be luckier. Footnote; I should mention that merely inspecting the contents doesn't mean it will bolt up, that discovery happens at the moment of installation, unfortunately. Cost of awnings $897.48.

In May 2013 we purchased the above awning. It was shipped and we paid someone to install it for us. After it was attached we noticed a defect to the awning. We paid to have the same person take the awning down and we returned it to Home Depot. In a few weeks we received a new awning and again paid to have that installed. We used the awning that summer and the summer of 2014. We just opened the awning for this summer. The wind began to blow that night and we immediately attempted to close the awning, but it would not close. The wind ruined the awning before we could do anything about it. We do not want to have the awning replaced again, as each time we have to pay to have it installed and reinstalled.

The calls to Awntech were less than sympathetic. We only asked that they pay to have someone take it down, which they refuse to do. There is also fading and rust on the awning and attachments. I would never buy another awning from them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have received numerous correspondence from Mr. Konda and after 15 or so e-mails they offered to reimburse me $150.00 of the $300.00 I asked for. I countered that I did nothing wrong and can't understand why only the $150 reimbursement. They had no answer, so I offered a counter of $150 to me and a donation of $150.00 to the wounded Warrior Project. Mr Konda agreed and also decided to make a donation of $250.00 to the Wounded Warrior Project. Guess the lesson here is persistence. If you are right you're right.

James of Jacksonville, FL on

Original Review

As others have mentioned the fabric doesn't hold up. In my case I reported to Awntech the problem after the third year of use. After a few phone calls and negotiation they agreed to sell me a new awning at a reduced charge. After I installed the new awning, no simple task, the motor started to act up. I again contacted Awntech and was told that they experienced problems with the motor they sent me and they had no more replacement motors and I'd have to buy a new one. Since I already had over $2,500 sunk into the awning I did purchased a new motor. I was assured multiple times by ** the process was a simple remove and replace. I hired a contractor to do the job. The awning was removed, the motor replaced and the awning replaced but problems arose.

I reported the problem to ** and sent pictures to him and he stated that the motor they sent to me did not have the proper gears and that I would have to replace the new motor gears with the old motor gears. So again the awning was taken, down the motor was removed, the old and new motors taken apart the gears exchanged, the motor put back together and reinserted in the awning and the awning placed on the roof. Finally it worked, however the additional effort by the contractor cost me an extra $300.00 because of an error solely the responsibility of Awntech. I sent a letter to the CEO, Shawn Konda (Srinivas Konda) Awntech Corporation.10950 S. Pipeline Rd., Bldg. 1, Euless, TX 76040 (USA) explaining my issue with no response (surprise!!!). I will be sending another letter and also copy VP Legal & Business Affairs, 3600 Bell Drive, Bld B-E, Hurst Texas, 76053. What do you think my chances are I'll get a response?

I recently purchased two 6' Nantucket awnings from Amazon. The installation instructions are all wrong. You can throw them out of the window and you will need to guess the steps. I made few mistakes and was able to put the awning together to some extent. I called the Awntech technical support and talked to Daniel first and then Angela, after Daniel hang up on me on purpose. I asked 2 extra Z brackets and few screws to complete the install, as I put the Z brackets at wrong place because of instructions were so wrong.

Even after providing the step number which are wrong for the next customer to not go through these hassles. Daniel, did not care to fix the steps on their side. I told them that I will return the awnings and Daniel said they do not care if you return or keep the awnings as Amazon already Paid for the awning to them. WOW! They just care about their money. They asked me to charge $2.95 for each Z brackets and did not agree to ship me extra screws. So they were going after $4-$5 for a $900 products I bought which I can return very easily and they will lose hundreds of $. So bottom line is *AWNTECH wants every penny from you* as if they have monopoly and there are no other Awnings available in USA. I am seriously thinking of returning the awnings. I do not think this company is going too far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Awntech?

My wife and I purchased an Awntech awning, model Maui approx. three years ago. Within the first year, all of the brackets and hardware began to rust, causing me to contact the company and after much runaround they agreed to replace the rusted unit with a new, better powder coated unit. The unit arrived and after my wife and I spent approx. $500 to have the rusted unit removed and the new unit re-installed, I now find that the valance keeps slipping from the grooves and as often as I re-install it, it slides off again within a short period of time. Frankly, after having paid the initial cost for the Awntech awning, coupled with the aggravation and additional expense of having the rusted unit removed and the replacement installed, only to now have issues with the valance. I believe it would have been much more cheaper and convenient if we had bought an apparent better product from Sun Setter.

I ordered an awntech awning online direct from the company May 2014. I received the delivery on May 12, 2014 by R&L carriers. When we opened the box, the cover shield was damaged. It was crushed in a few locations. I called Awntech and spoke with Christine, explained what happened. She advised me to put in a claim to R&L carriers. First of all why did I have to put in the claim? Your company used the carrier, you should have put in the claim. Then over 2 weeks, I sent emails to Christine asking what was going on. I called the carrier and finally they offered me $125.00 towards a new shield and per Brenda at R & L she felt Awntech should replace the part for that fee. Well not the case. I received an email from Christine saying the new part was $200 and shipping was $125. Really after I spent $1225 on the original order. I called Christine, she told me the CEO Shawn Konda advised her to charge me again for the damaged item.

What the hell. This company is HORRIBLE. I buy a new item online, the part is damaged in a concealed box, they blame the carriers and then expect the customer to pay AGAIN for a part they shipped damaged. This represents bad customer service. I never had such an experience with an item I purchased. My advice is DO NOT buy any product from this company, and Mr. Konda, and Christine get a new profession as your customer service skills SUCK.

I purchased Awntech Maui 14 ft motorized awning in 2010. Although I hadn't heard about them, I bought it because they had 5 years warranty. I noticed that the color started fading after first year and you can't even tell what color it was from outside now. This spring I plugged in the awning in outlet and it blew circuit breaker. I tried another outlet and got same result. I called customer service and they said that the motor is faulty and warranty on motor is only for one year not five years as they advertised. When I asked what else is covered for five years they said everything. I told them that the cloth is all worn out. They said that warranty will cover less than 20% of the price of cloth, or any other faulty part, and I will have to pay for rest plus shipping because they prorate the warranty. I really don't much care about the color fading but it bothers me that motor stopped working after four seasons of sparing use and I will have to pay full price of motor, shipping and replacement when Awntech advertised 5 year warranty. Anyone looking to purchase awning, beware and read fine print very carefully before you commit to purchasing from Awntech.

On 1/27/2013 I ordered Awntech manual retractable awning from Sears. It arrived around on 02/1/2013, but was not mounted until March 27. Now we discovered it was the wrong size, only 10' projection. We cannot do the work ourselves and had a carpenter mount the awning. The box was gone and had to wait. I reordered an awning before I could return it. A new awning was ordered from Sears. On the confirmation sheet it says 14' wide - 12' proj. It came on Thursday, May 2, 2013. Absolutely no indication of the size on any of the papers. It was mounted on the wall last night, 05/03/2013. Believe it or not, this awning is 14' wide and only 10' proj. My story does not end here. Will I ever get the awning I wanted or do we have a lawsuit or do I get an umbrella and tell everyone to not buy Awntech or deal with Sears?

Awntech is possibly the least expensive retractable awning sold in the US. Like anything else, folks, you get what you pay for. Do your research and see what the median price is for a quality product. Awntech is manufactured in Dallas so my guess is that Mary from Grapevine works for Awntech.

We purchased an awning from Awntech online on 8/11/2011. After calling to confirm delivery address and when it would be delivered, the awning was delivered to the wrong address. After repeated calls and back and forth with the company, it took three weeks to figure out when the awning would finally arrive. During these three weeks, Awntech told me that the delivery company was not responding to them and they had no idea where the shipment was or when it would arrive. After I called on September 14 and left a message in the company's general mailbox threatening to cancel my order for a full refund did I receive a call from the delivery company (not Awntech) on September 15, telling me that the awning would be delivered the next day on September 16.

During the three weeks of trying to get Awntech to tell me where the awning was, I asked for a credit for the shipping on the order ($125 value) to our account for the delay and error on their behalf in shipping to the wrong address. After repeated phone calls and emails, the company refused to credit our account and went as far as to blame me, the customer, that I had mistyped my address information during our online ordering process. I sent documentation of our original order receipt to them to verify that this was in fact not the case. Our original email receipt was very clear that our home address and zip code were in fact correct.

We finally received the awning on Friday, September 16. Excited that it finally arrived, we quickly became saddened that the packaging was damaged and after further inspection, the awning was torn, ripped and dented to the point that we cannot use it. Unacceptable, we emailed/called repeatedly asking for a full refund or have them replace the ** thing. As of today, 10/11, Awntech refuses to replace the broken awning. What they did tell me, "buy a new one" and they will give me a great deal. Really?

In response to Kristen's complaint, I have worked with this company for several years now and let me tell you that this is all wrong. Customer states that we do not honor our warranty, because she needs to pay a % amount. Our warranty states that it is a "pro-rated limited warranty" and reads as the following:

"E. What is covered under this warranty?

1. The following components of Awntech Beauty-Mark models and their accessories (defined as accessories attached to the awning) are covered under this Warranty, subject to the limitations set forth below. These components have a five (5) year limited (pro-rated) warranty, against manufacturers defects as outlined below:

(a) Should the purchaser promptly notify Awntech Corporation of such defects within one year (12 months) from the date of the original purchase, the defective component will be replaced at no charge. Awntech reserves the right to ask for the defective part to be returned and/or photos of the defective part.

(b) After one year but within five years (60 months) from the date of the original purchase, a defective component will be replaced upon the purchaser's payment of 1/60th of the full retail cost of the component for each month of use prior to the claim".

With this being said, I would really like for everyone who is interested in purchasing an Awntech awning to please contact us with any questions that they may have regarding the warranty.

I bought a retractable awning from Home Depot. It came with a 5-year warranty on the fabric against fading and ten-year on parts. Within one year, the fabric was extremely faded and now, after three years, it has faint hints of the original color remaining. I contacted Awntech and they will not honor their warranty. The best they will do is sell me another piece of the fabric for over $330, plus shipping I'm sure. They wouldn't return emails or phone calls and their only response was when the managers at Home Depot called them and tried to help.

We paid over $800 for the awning and we are under the impression at the time of purchase that it was a safe buy. It is worthless now and brings down the value of the house due to the fact that it looks ancient and unappealing. As soon as it is removed, it will not have caused us any trouble other than the original over $800 and the fear of making online purchases ever again. The real damage is the dishonesty and fraud that occurred.

The company does not honor warranty/guarantee. It sells awnings with UV resistant fabric. The warranty states 5 years on fabric and 10 on parts. After several months, the fabric was severely faded. We requested a replacement fabric and they stated we must pay $330 for the fabric for the awning. They requested that we send them a copy of warranty to prove what we were claiming although it is found all over their own website and the other middlemen that it is sold thru such as Home Depot and Lowe's. They still refused to honor the warranty. This is dishonest practice and abuse of online sales practices. Loss of over $837.

Awntech Company Profile