1.43/5

Looking for an awning company?

Awntech

Looking for an awning company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Awntech Reviews

Original review: June 21, 2019

We bought an Awntech Maui 14’x12’ motorized awning in May 2019. We mistakenly thought it would be a pleasant convenience. Out of the box the awning fabric rolls up wrinkled on the roller, bags in the middle, allows the lightest sprinkling of dew or rain to pool in the middle, and appears very cheap and unstable. We bought the extended version of the awning, but we are afraid to fully extend it for fear it will collapse on us. If you open the awning a by mere 2’ water will pool in the middle.

In part I blame myself because I saw plenty of Awntech reviews, by buyers, stating how cheaply built they are and how after they installed the awning they discovered Awntech’s customer service ends at the point of delivery. I found this out first hand when I contacted Awntech, three times, to ask them to repair or adjust the new awning. They responded “Our warranty specifically states that using during in climate (sic) weather will not be covered under warranty. Some wrinkling of the fabric on the tube is totally normal and won’t affect the function or longevity of the fabric.” In climate (sic) weather? Every drop of dew or rain, no matter how light pools in the middle and causes the weak arms to sag. Some wrinkling of the fabric? The fabric bags, sags, and wrinkles over itself. It does not roll up evenly, so of course, it wrinkles on the roll.

This Awntech Beauty Mark Maui motorized awning was purchased as a replacement awning as we were thinking of selling the house. The old awning, manufactured by a well known maker, had been used for 14 years and was still functional. During the 14 years it was in use there were many many times we forgot and left it partially opened overnight or during a light to medium rain. Dew and rain sheeted off of it with no problems. The material rolled back onto the roller smoothly. It did not bag, sag, and buckle over itself, even after 14 years. We wish we had it back, seriously. The awning we got from Awntech gives no better service than a patio umbrella. In fact, with an umbrella at least water doesn’t pool. Awntech’s customer service response pretty much amounted to “tough luck” thanks for buying.

I’m writing this to warn other consumers that this company is not interested in their awning once they sell it to you because they know exactly what they are selling. They were careful to artfully phrase their warranty, and they are delighted to point that out to you when you try to get them to stand behind their product. And the sad fact is, once you’ve bought their awning and it’s bolted onto the side of your house, you’re pretty much stuck with it while you watch it bag, and sag, and wrinkle every time you try to use it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

The photos on their website didn't match the product we received so I asked to exchange it and they wouldn't help. They ended up charging us for a replacement and said they'd ship it express due to our issue, then failed to do so, with the replacement arriving almost a week late.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 19, 2017

Felt like we paid 900.00 for a toy. Could have gotten more shade from a umbrella. After we received the package it sat until weather was nice enough to install. Winds were really bad. Took our old Sunsetter (manual) down, put up new Motorized Awntech & was so disappointed. VERY VERY SMALL. :( 30 day return was up, So we are stuck with it. Moved it around back over our galvanized metal pool & almost doesn't shade it. NEXT TIME UMBRELLA FROM LOWE'S!!!

Original review: May 13, 2016

12 Days ago I emailed Awntech a question, with photos of where I wanted to install the awning. The question was, can I under-mount (to the 'ceiling' of our porch balcony) or side-mount the awning (connect it to the two side walls). I got one response, May 3, saying "please call me, I don't understand your question" from Shawn **. Since then I've called and left 3 messages and emailed an even more detailed explanation of the question, with no response. It's tiresome to have to try so hard just to get an answer when I'm potentially going to spend thousands of dollars with them. After having read the other reviews about the quality, it sounds like I need to look for an alternative awning.

Resolution response: June 11, 2016

My previous posting regarding Awntech has an update. After going over all the confusing details with a (very charming) Katherine ** of Awntech, I would like to update the following: Turns out GENERAL Awning LLC were the people I ordered the awnings through. These were the scoundrels who could care less about the problems I had encountered. They are resellers and not manufacturers, (kind of like Chevrolet and the dealer relationship). The parts Awntech made still gave me a problem, but Mrs. ** attitude was "What can we do to make you happy?" And really, what else can you ask for? I have been appeased. If you need an awning, AVOID GENERAL AWNINGS LLC. They don't care about nothing after the sale.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I purchased 2 awnings to add some finishing touches to the front of the house I built this past year. I ordered the awnings before the interior walls were insulated and dry walled - strictly to be assured of solid wood backing. I removed the units from the box, looked them over and roughed in the wood placement based on the brackets length and the instructions provided (directions confusing at best). Well... its finishing touches now, and the awnings DON'T FIT! The smaller awning, albeit complete, was welded up crooked, the brackets were twisted and didn't match. The larger unit (for over the front door), that was another problem, that awning didn't bolt together at all. It wasn't twisted, it was 2" short of mating with its intended parts.

I called AWNTECH. The "associate" as he described himself, couldn't be more disinterested, and admitted that this was not the first one he had heard of being welded up wrong. I sourced a local fabricator to make these 2 units salvageable, additional costs incurred + time and aggravation. Not once did AWNTECH offer to make ANYTHING right. If you're considering this manufacturer for an awning... think twice. The nice looking pictures on the website are not what I got. Throw dice, you might be luckier. Footnote; I should mention that merely inspecting the contents doesn't mean it will bolt up, that discovery happens at the moment of installation, unfortunately. Cost of awnings $897.48.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Awntech?

Original review: June 10, 2015

In May 2013 we purchased the above awning. It was shipped and we paid someone to install it for us. After it was attached we noticed a defect to the awning. We paid to have the same person take the awning down and we returned it to Home Depot. In a few weeks we received a new awning and again paid to have that installed. We used the awning that summer and the summer of 2014. We just opened the awning for this summer. The wind began to blow that night and we immediately attempted to close the awning, but it would not close. The wind ruined the awning before we could do anything about it. We do not want to have the awning replaced again, as each time we have to pay to have it installed and reinstalled.

The calls to Awntech were less than sympathetic. We only asked that they pay to have someone take it down, which they refuse to do. There is also fading and rust on the awning and attachments. I would never buy another awning from them.

Resolution response: Oct. 7, 2015

I have received numerous correspondence from Mr. Konda and after 15 or so e-mails they offered to reimburse me $150.00 of the $300.00 I asked for. I countered that I did nothing wrong and can't understand why only the $150 reimbursement. They had no answer, so I offered a counter of $150 to me and a donation of $150.00 to the wounded Warrior Project. Mr Konda agreed and also decided to make a donation of $250.00 to the Wounded Warrior Project. Guess the lesson here is persistence. If you are right you're right.

Original review: May 18, 2015

As others have mentioned the fabric doesn't hold up. In my case I reported to Awntech the problem after the third year of use. After a few phone calls and negotiation they agreed to sell me a new awning at a reduced charge. After I installed the new awning, no simple task, the motor started to act up. I again contacted Awntech and was told that they experienced problems with the motor they sent me and they had no more replacement motors and I'd have to buy a new one. Since I already had over $2,500 sunk into the awning I did purchased a new motor. I was assured multiple times by ** the process was a simple remove and replace. I hired a contractor to do the job. The awning was removed, the motor replaced and the awning replaced but problems arose.

I reported the problem to ** and sent pictures to him and he stated that the motor they sent to me did not have the proper gears and that I would have to replace the new motor gears with the old motor gears. So again the awning was taken, down the motor was removed, the old and new motors taken apart the gears exchanged, the motor put back together and reinserted in the awning and the awning placed on the roof. Finally it worked, however the additional effort by the contractor cost me an extra $300.00 because of an error solely the responsibility of Awntech. I sent a letter to the CEO, Shawn Konda (Srinivas Konda) Awntech Corporation.10950 S. Pipeline Rd., Bldg. 1, Euless, TX 76040 (USA) explaining my issue with no response (surprise!!!). I will be sending another letter and also copy VP Legal & Business Affairs, 3600 Bell Drive, Bld B-E, Hurst Texas, 76053. What do you think my chances are I'll get a response?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I recently purchased two 6' Nantucket awnings from Amazon. The installation instructions are all wrong. You can throw them out of the window and you will need to guess the steps. I made few mistakes and was able to put the awning together to some extent. I called the Awntech technical support and talked to Daniel first and then Angela, after Daniel hang up on me on purpose. I asked 2 extra Z brackets and few screws to complete the install, as I put the Z brackets at wrong place because of instructions were so wrong.

Even after providing the step number which are wrong for the next customer to not go through these hassles. Daniel, did not care to fix the steps on their side. I told them that I will return the awnings and Daniel said they do not care if you return or keep the awnings as Amazon already Paid for the awning to them. WOW! They just care about their money. They asked me to charge $2.95 for each Z brackets and did not agree to ship me extra screws. So they were going after $4-$5 for a $900 products I bought which I can return very easily and they will lose hundreds of $. So bottom line is *AWNTECH wants every penny from you* as if they have monopoly and there are no other Awnings available in USA. I am seriously thinking of returning the awnings. I do not think this company is going too far.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

My wife and I purchased an Awntech awning, model Maui approx. three years ago. Within the first year, all of the brackets and hardware began to rust, causing me to contact the company and after much runaround they agreed to replace the rusted unit with a new, better powder coated unit. The unit arrived and after my wife and I spent approx. $500 to have the rusted unit removed and the new unit re-installed, I now find that the valance keeps slipping from the grooves and as often as I re-install it, it slides off again within a short period of time. Frankly, after having paid the initial cost for the Awntech awning, coupled with the aggravation and additional expense of having the rusted unit removed and the replacement installed, only to now have issues with the valance. I believe it would have been much more cheaper and convenient if we had bought an apparent better product from Sun Setter.

Original review: June 14, 2014

I ordered an awntech awning online direct from the company May 2014. I received the delivery on May 12, 2014 by R&L carriers. When we opened the box, the cover shield was damaged. It was crushed in a few locations. I called Awntech and spoke with Christine, explained what happened. She advised me to put in a claim to R&L carriers. First of all why did I have to put in the claim? Your company used the carrier, you should have put in the claim. Then over 2 weeks, I sent emails to Christine asking what was going on. I called the carrier and finally they offered me $125.00 towards a new shield and per Brenda at R & L she felt Awntech should replace the part for that fee. Well not the case. I received an email from Christine saying the new part was $200 and shipping was $125. Really after I spent $1225 on the original order. I called Christine, she told me the CEO Shawn Konda advised her to charge me again for the damaged item.

What the hell. This company is HORRIBLE. I buy a new item online, the part is damaged in a concealed box, they blame the carriers and then expect the customer to pay AGAIN for a part they shipped damaged. This represents bad customer service. I never had such an experience with an item I purchased. My advice is DO NOT buy any product from this company, and Mr. Konda, and Christine get a new profession as your customer service skills SUCK.

Awntech Company Information