2. Homeowners
  3. Awnings

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Awntech Reviews

Original review: May 5, 2014

I purchased Awntech Maui 14 ft motorized awning in 2010. Although I hadn't heard about them, I bought it because they had 5 years warranty. I noticed that the color started fading after first year and you can't even tell what color it was from outside now. This spring I plugged in the awning in outlet and it blew circuit breaker. I tried another outlet and got same result. I called customer service and they said that the motor is faulty and warranty on motor is only for one year not five years as they advertised. When I asked what else is covered for five years they said everything. I told them that the cloth is all worn out. They said that warranty will cover less than 20% of the price of cloth, or any other faulty part, and I will have to pay for rest plus shipping because they prorate the warranty. I really don't much care about the color fading but it bothers me that motor stopped working after four seasons of sparing use and I will have to pay full price of motor, shipping and replacement when Awntech advertised 5 year warranty. Anyone looking to purchase awning, beware and read fine print very carefully before you commit to purchasing from Awntech.

Original review: May 4, 2013

On 1/27/2013 I ordered Awntech manual retractable awning from Sears. It arrived around on 02/1/2013, but was not mounted until March 27. Now we discovered it was the wrong size, only 10' projection. We cannot do the work ourselves and had a carpenter mount the awning. The box was gone and had to wait. I reordered an awning before I could return it. A new awning was ordered from Sears. On the confirmation sheet it says 14' wide - 12' proj. It came on Thursday, May 2, 2013. Absolutely no indication of the size on any of the papers. It was mounted on the wall last night, 05/03/2013. Believe it or not, this awning is 14' wide and only 10' proj. My story does not end here. Will I ever get the awning I wanted or do we have a lawsuit or do I get an umbrella and tell everyone to not buy Awntech or deal with Sears?

Original review: March 2, 2012

Awntech is possibly the least expensive retractable awning sold in the US. Like anything else, folks, you get what you pay for. Do your research and see what the median price is for a quality product. Awntech is manufactured in Dallas so my guess is that Mary from Grapevine works for Awntech.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2011

We purchased an awning from Awntech online on 8/11/2011. After calling to confirm delivery address and when it would be delivered, the awning was delivered to the wrong address. After repeated calls and back and forth with the company, it took three weeks to figure out when the awning would finally arrive. During these three weeks, Awntech told me that the delivery company was not responding to them and they had no idea where the shipment was or when it would arrive. After I called on September 14 and left a message in the company's general mailbox threatening to cancel my order for a full refund did I receive a call from the delivery company (not Awntech) on September 15, telling me that the awning would be delivered the next day on September 16.

During the three weeks of trying to get Awntech to tell me where the awning was, I asked for a credit for the shipping on the order ($125 value) to our account for the delay and error on their behalf in shipping to the wrong address. After repeated phone calls and emails, the company refused to credit our account and went as far as to blame me, the customer, that I had mistyped my address information during our online ordering process. I sent documentation of our original order receipt to them to verify that this was in fact not the case. Our original email receipt was very clear that our home address and zip code were in fact correct.

We finally received the awning on Friday, September 16. Excited that it finally arrived, we quickly became saddened that the packaging was damaged and after further inspection, the awning was torn, ripped and dented to the point that we cannot use it. Unacceptable, we emailed/called repeatedly asking for a full refund or have them replace the ** thing. As of today, 10/11, Awntech refuses to replace the broken awning. What they did tell me, "buy a new one" and they will give me a great deal. Really?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2010

In response to Kristen's complaint, I have worked with this company for several years now and let me tell you that this is all wrong. Customer states that we do not honor our warranty, because she needs to pay a % amount. Our warranty states that it is a "pro-rated limited warranty" and reads as the following:

"E. What is covered under this warranty?

1. The following components of Awntech Beauty-Mark models and their accessories (defined as accessories attached to the awning) are covered under this Warranty, subject to the limitations set forth below. These components have a five (5) year limited (pro-rated) warranty, against manufacturers defects as outlined below:

(a) Should the purchaser promptly notify Awntech Corporation of such defects within one year (12 months) from the date of the original purchase, the defective component will be replaced at no charge. Awntech reserves the right to ask for the defective part to be returned and/or photos of the defective part.

(b) After one year but within five years (60 months) from the date of the original purchase, a defective component will be replaced upon the purchaser's payment of 1/60th of the full retail cost of the component for each month of use prior to the claim".

With this being said, I would really like for everyone who is interested in purchasing an Awntech awning to please contact us with any questions that they may have regarding the warranty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Awntech?

Original review: July 19, 2010

I bought a retractable awning from Home Depot. It came with a 5-year warranty on the fabric against fading and ten-year on parts. Within one year, the fabric was extremely faded and now, after three years, it has faint hints of the original color remaining. I contacted Awntech and they will not honor their warranty. The best they will do is sell me another piece of the fabric for over $330, plus shipping I'm sure. They wouldn't return emails or phone calls and their only response was when the managers at Home Depot called them and tried to help.

We paid over $800 for the awning and we are under the impression at the time of purchase that it was a safe buy. It is worthless now and brings down the value of the house due to the fact that it looks ancient and unappealing. As soon as it is removed, it will not have caused us any trouble other than the original over $800 and the fear of making online purchases ever again. The real damage is the dishonesty and fraud that occurred.

Original review: July 2, 2010

The company does not honor warranty/guarantee. It sells awnings with UV resistant fabric. The warranty states 5 years on fabric and 10 on parts. After several months, the fabric was severely faded. We requested a replacement fabric and they stated we must pay $330 for the fabric for the awning. They requested that we send them a copy of warranty to prove what we were claiming although it is found all over their own website and the other middlemen that it is sold thru such as Home Depot and Lowe's. They still refused to honor the warranty. This is dishonest practice and abuse of online sales practices. Loss of over $837.

Awntech Company Information