3.35/5
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

23 Ariens Riding Mowers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 28, 2018

Two things. First, it (Ariens 19.5hp 42") was not the best product for my purposes in the first place. My property has many trees and obstacles and the clutch drive was ridiculously inefficient and frustrating. So, no fault of the manufacturers, I include it only to help others make an informed decision. Secondly, there is no simple way to realign the wheels when they inevitably toe out. Realignment means purchasing new draglinks at $50 each. After the second time having to replace these parts we chose to replace the mower completely for one with a hydrostatic drive. This product may be great for those who have wide open clear spaces with long runs, but if you frequently have to navigate around anything in the yard, then I suggest looking elsewhere.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Best bang for the dollar. Has Kawasaki engine and easy to operate. This is half the price of others with same engine. I would highly recommend this machine.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 24, 2018

I own a 42 in tractor for 2 years now and I have never had any issues with its performance. I put it to a rough test and it passed. I am very pleased with this tractor and I would recommend the brand.

Original review: July 23, 2018

When you take into consideration the price for what you get this mower is great. It has a good turn radius, decent speed, and plenty of height adjustments. Use as a residential ride on lawn mower and you can't go wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Great mower. Only trouble was an electrical charging issue. After that was repaired I have not had anything other than standard maintenance. It has many good features, the way the mowing deck follows the ground the drive system hydrostatic makes mowing easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ariens Riding Mowers?

Original review: April 30, 2018

Ariens 42" riding lawnmower, Briggs Stratton 20 HP V2 engine - I have just started my 8th year with this mower and it is still running great!!! At the end of each season I change the oil and filter and all other filters and use a gas additive in the full gas tank. I also change the 2 blades that I get through the blades for life program I got when I bought the mower through Home Depot. After 5 years I did replace the battery, but as yet I have not replace either the drive belt or the deck belt, but I do keep a spare of each. The engine always starts quickly with full choke. Many have said engine is hard to start... Choke it... I did put inner tubes in all 4 wheels but that is a tire issue not a mower. The only thing I have had to replace is the mower deck spindles as they do not handle hitting rocks well and our area is rocky.

I mow about 1 acre of grass once a week for about 6 months a year. The engine has plenty of power on the 42" deck which I specifically wanted for ease of getting around landscaping. I usually run the engine about half throttle and a fair speed and it does an excellent job of mowing. The mower was the base mower with the V2 2 cylinder engine, bought on sale and I could not be happier with it and I would buy the same mower again if given the need! Great mower!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

Myself and my son both have a Ariens mowers. They are 17.5 horsepower 42 inch cut. We have tried to level the decks and followed the instructions from their books, but nothing works. I have even taken my to lawn mower repair shop and they could not get it leveled. I have replaced the blades and has no effect.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I am on my third year with this mower. From the first year it was in the shop under warranty twice for a fuel problem because the engine would not run without the choke pulled out and after a while it would not run at all. They claimed it was dirty fuel and replaced the carburetor and fuel pump. This happened two more times in the second mowing season. Same claim. I made sure all of my containers were clean after the first time. I run the same fuel from the same containers in all of my push mower, weed eater, edger, blower, chain saw, hedge clipper and tractor.

I started it today and I’m right back with a mower which will not stay running unless you pressurize the fuel tank and then only for a short period of time. Home Depot said I should run it dry after each use which does not make any sense at all. I bought this because of the heavy construction of the deck. I would not recommend this mower to anyone!

Original review: March 24, 2018

This Ariens 1440 RER mower is only a few years old. Went to get ready for spring and Deck Height Adjustment Lever broke in half. No part available on Ariens site. No way to contact customer service. Local dealer not interested in helping to honor warranty. Part is available on aftermarket parts site for over $100 -- I don't think a solid steel bar should break like this, certainly not in such a short period of time, much less that I should have to go to an aftermarket parts site and pay over a hundred dollars just to be able to use my mower. Very poor workmanship, very poor customer service/accessibility. I WILL NOT be recommending Ariens' products to my friends, coworkers and family.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Thank goodness this was purchased at a steep discount from an individual. I am absolutely stunned by how hard it has been to get this piece of junk rolling. It throws both the drive and the mowing deck belt about 15 minutes into mowing. The belts get torn up in the process and it is hard to find them. The repair places won't touch them because they say the company purposely makes it hard to discern parts by not publishing parts lists. Not sure if that's true but I am passing on what I am told. I do find that belts at Home Depot in Texas often list the name Ariens but no model numbers. I am at my wit's end and considering draining oil and gas and pushing it into a swollen Brazos river to be washed out to sea so nobody else has to endure this nonsense. I have owned many brands and models and this is the worst. Might keep the Briggs motor and scrap the rest. Total Junk!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My husband likes this mower. We bought it from a friend and he was rough on those and broke them, and we've only replaced the grass collecting bins. My husband cuts the grass once or twice a week but it doesn't have wheel to steer with so I can't use it.

Original review: July 20, 2017

As I read all these positive reviews for the Ariens riding lawn mower and I've come to the conclusion that I must have purchased that one piece of junk lawn mower that Ariens made. I've had this lawn mower for two years and it still does not start properly. I've drained the gas, switched the spark plugs and had a professional mechanic look this lawn mower and it still does not work properly. I can barely go up slight incline without the wheels slipping. On two occasions, I had to get my son to help me push it back up the hill, honestly. The turn ration is horrible. I have to cross my fingers because I don't know if it's going to start or not and eventually I wound up using my push mower. I was gullible and let the sales rep a Home Depot convince to purchase the Ariens. I would not recommend this lawn mower to my worst enemy.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Zero turn should be different because they know their riding mower is junk. Because all they make is zero turn riding mowers now. Anyway My rider is like everyone else it is junk. The kill switch is so my 100 pound boy can't mow because he doesn't weigh above for the switch to know he is on the mower. The drive pulleys last about 25 hours and then they break. Because the kill switch is not designed right and my mower dies if I barely move it kills the mower with a load on it. My mower has 215 hours on it now and it smokes because of the kill switch is not right. This mower cost more than craftsman and craftsman are much better. I don't have a zero turn so you guys don't know what we have junk.

I could have bought a John Deere for what I paid for the Ariens mower. Ariens used to have good mowers and they know this. Go to their website, the only riders they sell now are the zero turn ones so that proves they know the regular rider mowers are junk or they would still make them. My rider was a 25 hp Kohler with a 54-inch deck so one like that should last a lot longer than 200 hours. It a shame they only care about money. Now they used to have a good name, now it is mud. And all you guys how buy the zero turn and break don't know what we have gone though. Because if you did you wouldn't buy a Ariens mower from **!!! Anyone who sells junk and doesn't stand by their name!!! Just ask anyone who bought a regular mower in 2016 they are junk.

Original review: March 14, 2017

My wife bought me a brand new Ariens riding mower from Home Depot for Christmas. The mower was shipped in a crate and I live in a 4 season state. Once I opened the crate come spring it would not go forward or backward. I went to the Home Depot it was purchased at. They stated the 90 day warranty was up so they couldn't replace the brand new "broken" mower but they could pay for a local company to fix it. I then proceeded to call Ariens in an attempt to get a replacement mower and was told that I had to take it up with wherever I bought it even though I already explained my situation. Once the mower was fixed (several weeks later) the same plastic transmission piece broke again just before the end of the mowing season. Once again we called Ariens and they referred us back to Home Depot.

After Home Depot paid for this to be fixed then another factory part broke and the repair company said "They are just cheap plastic parts". Once fixed the transmission went out again. Home Depot stated they would contact us for a repair. After more than a month and two calls to them we still didn't hear back so I called Ariens again and they basically told me tough cookies. Home Depot is who I need to talk to. I do not recommend Ariens mowers. They are poorly made and they do not back their products. I just started a new Lawn Care business and most certainly will not be using anything from Ariens or Home Depot ever again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Pricey but you get what you pay for in quality and this is a high quality mower. Again, you get what you pay for cuts. Amazing and reliability is second to none. Very safe mower, I've had no issues whatsoever, always felt safe when operating this mower. Does it all with ease and no complications. It's actually fun to mow your lawn. Fast and razor sharp, close cut, makes it do any job of any length with ease. I love this mower, I just can't say it enough. I'll never go back to John Deere. I've cut fields with this mower and had no issues or repairs to speak of. It's invincible, just change the oil, sharpen the blades when you're supposed to. Routine maintenance is all that's required.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Real good value. The mower is wonderful. I use it when I get a chance. If I was you I would get one. It does a wonderful job cutting grass. Blades are the best. The safety features are really wonderful. Kids would not get hurt unless they are really smarter than the mower. My kids have never got hurt on ours. The mower's speed is amazing. I put it on the highest speed and go. It is a really wonderful mower and I would suggest everybody has one. Durability is great but not as good as it should be. Should be more effective but is not. But in all I love the mower. Durability is important but in this case it's OK because its a wonderful mower.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

It is worth the money. It does everything it is suppose to do and that it advertises. It is the best machinery if used in a long time. I would recommend this product to anyone. It had multiple guards and the instructions are very straightforward. You shouldn't have no safety related issues with this product. This item is amazingly safe to use. I did all of the work in half the time I would usually spend doing this same work with the tool I used to use. The durability of this item is amazing. I ran over seven rocks in a row and it still worked. I love how durable and easy this product is to use.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Good quality mower. Good price for the product. Very reasonable expense for what you get. I'm satisfied with it and would purchase again if given the opportunity. Good safety features. You really don't have to worry about getting hurt when cutting the lawn but if you're an idiot. But even if you're stupid, this mower makes it a lot harder to get hurt. Not too fast that you feel out of control but quick enough that you can move at a good pace and get the lawn mowed reasonably quickly. Not going to win any lawnmower races with it though. This mower is a quality build. They rarely construct products with this kind of build quality these days. You can just feel the detail that went into design and parts of this mower.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I got it for a great deal through Sears. I opened a credit card with Sears and paid off the value of it. It was great because I was able to stretch out my payments. It's pretty self-explanatory. It has a kill switch that works much like an emergency brake in a car. It does not operate without a key. This cuts lawn care in half. I've got a pretty big yard. With a traditional mower it took about 3 hours. It takes 45 minutes including cleanup with this mower. I see it lasting a very long time. It is made out of durable materials. It handles regular wear and tear quite well. It will get hit by yard materials but will be okay.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I thought the value was very reasonable for the mower. It performs as expected and have no real complaints. It makes cutting my 1.5 acres easy (relatively flare lawn). Good as advertised. Safety features were as to be expected. Auto switch off. Everything you'd expect from a quality zero turn riding mower. I didn't find it to be dangerous at all. It was very fast and can cut grass without slowing. About 8 mph which is a good speed and will cut tall grass easily at that speed. Very efficient. Had the mower for 2 years and have not had durability issues at all. Keep it clean and changed oil is about all that needs to be done.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

Good price and good product. Great value for your money. No issues with purchase and great customer service. Always there when I had a question or needed any help using. Definitely recommend. A lot of thought and attention placed on safety. Wish more companies would make safety a priority like on this. If safety is your top priority don't look elsewhere. Speed could be a little bit better however I am not going to complain. It is at the industry standard, no better and no worse. However the safety features more than make up for the speed. There have been no major issues, really no issues with durability. I've had zero problems and the machine holds up very well. Better durability than the competition.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Great product for the price. I would definitely recommend this to other consumers. If I need another mower I will definitely consider Ariens. The safety features on this mower are top of the line, just like everything else about the mower -- top of the line all the way. The durability is great.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I did a lot research before purchasing. Price comparisons as well as reliability and power. Ariens came highly recommended. Would definitely recommend. The safety features on the mower are very nice. My son can use the mower without much concern from me worrying about him chopping his special parts. The speed is amazing.

Ariens Riding Mowers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ariens has a long history, starting back in 1933 during the Great Depression. This family-owned business focused on innovating the rotary tiller before moving on to other lawn equipment, such as riding mowers.

• Zero turn mowers: The company focuses solely on zero-turn mowers, creating innovative models with the latest technology.

• 5-year warranty: An extended warranty protects the riding mower and provides peace of mind for the homeowner.

• Financing: Ariens provides a financing program to help homeowners afford their riding mowers with affordable payments.

• 25 HP engine: These mid-size engines provide enough power for most residential lawns.

• 52-inch mowing deck: The largest riding mower has a broad mowing deck capable of handling multiple acre lawns.

• Best for: Residential homeowners seeking a powerful and affordable mower option.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs