Find a Real Estate Websites partner

2. Moving
  3. Real Estate Websites

3.8/5 (267 ratings)
Find a Real Estate Websites partner

Looking to buy or sell your home?

MyAgentFinder can help you find the right agent.

Find My Agent

About Apartments.com

Looking to buy or sell your home?

MyAgentFinder can help you find the right agent.

Find My Agent

Apartments.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apartments.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apartments.com?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I own an apartment building. We have over 150, 5 star reviews. Apartments.com shows old pictures not relevant whatsoever after our total overhaul of the building. The review posts are questionable reviews because they never seem to express what our hundreds of other tenants are saying. I called this company at which time they said I can pay them in order to take control of the challenge that they are in fact creating! Seems to me that type of behavior is blackmail. Basically, they will continue to show old, outdated, irrelevant, bad "legitimate" reviews unless I subscribe to their business. Not going to be a part of that. Yet they get top placement on Google searches?! Not pleased with this.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I lived in Grand Lowry Lofts for 5 years and with the change in ownership and management issues, I didn't feel safe and paid out my lease in order to move to a safer building. There were homeless people wandering around the inside of the building at all hours of the day and night because locked entrances were broken and tenants were told that "it isn't in the budget to do repairs". I tried to post a review on Apartments.com and was told that not all reviews were posted. I spoke with several other folks who moved or are still living at Grand Lowry Lofts in Denver Colorado and they had the same experience. Apartments.com is paid by owners to only post positive reviews many years old and dated. I think it is simply a way to get money from owners to line their pockets and not about helping people find a good safe apartment. I would advise people to use other websites with more integrity.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My wife and I have recently moved into an apartment called Advenir on Addison on Addison Rd in Dallas Tx. We used Apartments.com to find the apartment, and we trusted the reviews and ratings they had. After we moved in, we found out that the review and rating Apartments.com gave Advenir were greatly exaggerated too and the apartment we moved into had a lot of issues, some of which the Advenir management refuses to fix.

I left a bad review for Advenir now four times on Apartments.com, and none of them show up on their site. I contacted Apartments.com and sent them what I was trying to post. They returned a message with suggestions, so I revised my review to reflect the changes they recommended, but it was still negative. The reviews still haven't been posted. I contacted Apartments.com again explaining to them that we moved into a dump based on their review. I told them that I felt they were hiding bad reviews on behalf of Advenir, and due to this action, my family and I are now living in an apartment that the management refuses to make repairs to. Use a site different than Apartments.com, and if you choose to use Apartments.com, don't trust their reviews. Check apartmentratings.com for reviews.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I am exhausted from the follow up and countless issues with Messina and management. Since April 2019 I can’t tell you how many emails calls and meeting I have had. Ac issues since the first week I moved in, weekends days no ac. My pets in a 90 plus degree apartment many times. They come to door no notice. Enter garage when clearly in writing not allowed access unless I’m present and had a email confirming the date. Incompetent management, not pet friendly, beach friendly. Nowhere to gain outside water access for your car. A bucket plant. Nothing. They are quick to threaten fees on you. This fee. That fee. If I could charge them a 25.00 fee for all their errors I would be well off.

I was not provided same forms as other tenants when asked for nor specials for move in as advertised. I have be treated so poorly. Feel violated. The asst manager and others I’m sure talks about the tenants to others and her roommate. It is a circus and although I never planned to move 4 times in 4 mos. I am out of here and yes they are the reason I moved 4 times, countless letdowns on move in date and now I must go as I cannot allow the do this to me anymore and upper management TIG Management and Portrait Construction Inc representatives.

I recommend you take a witness with you at all times when speaking with them if you do have issues. Never felt so violated and disrespected in a business transaction in my life. Admission of guilt but when the Portrait employee VP did not get the response he wanted from me his attitude changed and disrespected me in so many ways, wasted my time when I asked for that not to happen. Save your money and time. Do not recommend at all.

Original review: July 19, 2019

This website intentionally buried my somewhat negative review on my apartment complex's listing on a newly created 2nd page, leaving a "positive" review (which was written in the exact syntax all of the leasing agents speak in, curiously) at the top of the 1st page. This suspiciously written positive review is the only positive review (out of FIVE reviews) on my complex's listing. Yet they still refer to my complex as "five star." They also removed 20 to 25 negative reviews on a sister complex (owned and run by the same management company as my complex) overnight! I saw it happen. My daughter was thinking about moving there, saw the negative reviews and told me about them. The next day when I went to read them, they were all gone. Every single one of them! A little note was added: "Be the first to review this complex!" I can only suppose that if apartment owners pay Apartments.com enough, they call the shots on what is left on their sites.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I haven't followed up on any apartments listed on this website yet, so I can only speak from the search results I'm finding. I usually find very limited results, most of which are astronomically expensive. I was confused by not being able to find apartments for less than $1,400 monthly, so I tried a quick search on Zillow. Zillow produced more results that were in my price range, and more options in general. I would not recommend apartments.com for those of us who can't afford $1,800 for a one bedroom.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Every single time that I make a call to one of their agents, I end up being promised a call back which I never end up receiving. I have been left hanging over 5 times now. I have called them claiming my dissatisfaction, only to be met with the same level of unaccountability every single time.

Original review: June 25, 2019

None of their listings are verified. It's exactly like Craigslist, you're taking your chances getting scammed, unless it's a reputable Property Management Co that includes their address & phone numbers (realtor agent ID, etc). They are also Westside Rentals, which means most listings are fake and scam artists. Don't waste your time, drive around or go to Property Management company to be safe. Zillow has verified sources too.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I love this community because the environment here is beautiful and amazing view of mountains from the apartment. What I really like is it's very near to the Palm Springs International Airport just 8 mins walk from the apartment and also very close like 4 mins drive to Walmart, Staples and all other Shopping malls, Restaurants and grocery stores. This place is very commute to travel in buses like 2 minutes walk from the apartment. The Manager is very kind and good person. I recently had an issue with the refrigerator, So I complained him, he quickly came to check and understood the problem and within couple of days got replaced with new refrigerator. Thanks to the manager to be so quick to solve the issue.

Original review: May 5, 2019

This is little more than a couple search engine for advertising. There are no algorithms that allow you to get personalized search results. As an example: I specified "No swimming pool". Every listing it showed to me began with pictures of their sparkling pool. Another example:. I asked "Is this complex located within a CSZ?". No reply to a simple yes/no query. They insist on sending notifications (aka ad links) every Sunday morning. When church is in session. The chirping of an incoming notification is inappropriate between 06:00 and 12:00 on Sunday. My attempt to communicate with them got this response: "Go to Apartments.com and write a review." One can review individual complexed there, but not the website itself. This could well be called "Consolidated Advertising" but it offers no actual screening or dialogue.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Apartments.com is a bogus website without any useful contact to reach the leasing agent. It is marketing scam, and when you call number in the listing, NO one answers and sometime people answering who don't have any info and can't help. It should be banned or rated close to lowest rating.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I own a 9 unit apartment building in Pueblo, CO and people have used my listing on this website to harass me. I simply want to remove it completely from the website and was told I can never remove it!

Original review: April 18, 2019

For years we had a great working relationship with media marketing companies that advertised our rental properties. Co-Star came to our market and acquired the two largest competitors, effectively creating a monopoly in the market with apartments. They reduced the service level as compared to their previous competition, and SIGNIFICANTLY raised the cost of advertising. After deciding to not do business with them, apartments.com published our company's listings anyway, but published them as 100% occupied causing potential renters to skip our properties believing we had nothing available. When contacted and asked to correct or remove the information, they responded with "we can only modify the information if we have a contract with you."

After a furious, sustained harassment campaign by us, they finally agreed to remove the information completely without requiring us to pay to remove the bad information. More than a week later, they still have not done so and our properties continue to suffer financially because of it. There is a reason our government doesn't allow monopolies to exist. It is bad for business, bad for our economy, and bad for consumers. How Apartments.com continues to get away with this is baffling.

Original review: April 9, 2019

They consistently take my lease listing from MLS and never bother to take them off their website once leased. We receive unnecessary calls from tenants who are upset when we tell them that home was leased out months and months ago. I have contacted Apartments.com and they don't bother to correct on any of my listings. If you are taking info from MLS you should be responsible enough to remove it from your website as!! Listing homes that are not available is very unethical.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Very bad experience with IMT imt Sorrento Valley San Diego. My lease was about to end and was moving from IMT, I visited their office one last time to check any pending things and they offered me a good price ($X). I like their offer so I revoke the notice (Canceled outside good deal) and tried to renewed the lease with IMT. After two day they said, "Your rent will be not X amount, it's XY." They increased the price after giving offer. They apologies and said, "By mistake I gave you X price. It was actually XY." I shatter. I lost my new Appt move offer and paying increased price now. No one ready to listen. Where to go? I have proof of conversation but still they are not taking responsibility. It's impacted badly on my financial situation. Need suggestion to take this to court.

Original review: March 16, 2019

NOT MILITARY or VETERAN FRIENDLY. STAY AWAY! I'm a VET & won't be here much longer. Spend your hard-working $$ somewhere else. Staff's a miserable bunch! Read on for a taste of REALITY before you're SUCKERED into renting. Every 2-3 mos your privacy is invaded by maint entering apts claiming BS mandatory checks! As a FEMALE tenant I've experienced Maint knocking at my door. NOT giving me time to get to it before maint UNLOCKS it & WALKS IN like it's THEIR apt! You'll have NO PRIVACY living here! But it's not the maint guy who's the real problem. MANAGEMENT IS!

Staff is a bunch of miserable HAGS who need to quit & find jobs having NOTHING to do with HUMAN contact. Hag EVA should stop vomiting her rudeness and quit. Maybe shoveling manure is a better fit for you. Once lease is signed Mgmt can care less! You call w/ a problem they ignore you. When you complain Mgmt CONSTANTLY tells you "If you don't like it move". This is the wonderful treatment you'll get as a tenant.

I was just at the office. Luckily for hag EVA I DON'T entertain STUPID & I happen to be in a good mood before EVA spewed her usual vomit "If you don't like it move out" out of her disgusting pie hole. NO TENANT SHOULD EVER DEAL W/ STAFF LIKE THIS. HOW's Eva still employed. Hmm I wonder? Useless Mgmt! Your apt will get infested w/ ROACHES every time a tenant moves. Maint probably fumigates the empty apt now roaches move somewhere else. So much for fumigating! Your kitchen gets infested w/ ANTS each year when the weather warms up. So much for fumigating!

Your electric bill will go THROUGH THE ROOF keeping apt warm or cool. Poorly insulated! In winter you'll freeze & in summer you'll bake. Maint has used MY ELECTRICITY by plugging into MY back patio electric socket to work on nearby apt’s. I just happen to come home at the perfect time TO SEE THIS and STOP them. Who knows how MANY TIMES they've done this! Windows & doors have HUGE wind draft. I’ve spend $ putting plastic on windows to keep warm. Doesn't help, frames are crooked w/ huge GAPS.

You CAN'T just turn on faucet & expect hot water. 1st you have to waste water & run faucets FOREVER before water FEELS warm. Vents & central sys is DISGUSTING! Vents so clogged that 2 days after you dust you'll have a layer of nasty dust again like you never cleaned. Hope when it snows it's not a lot because they DON'T do a good job at plowing or they just will NOT plow parking. Either way you're digging yourself out. HAVEN'T YOU HEARD ENOUGH?

Original review: March 4, 2019

Any negative review is not published. I have tried numerous times to do so and they do not post it. They work for Apartments so why would they actually allow negative reviews on their site? Well, they don't and if they do, they cherry pick them. If you screen reviews for negativity then your review system does not work.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I wrote a review about apartment and nothing wrong was mentioned except it was given 1-star review. They removed the review and when I contacted them and provided all the information they asked me to provide a written complaint about it. I believe they only keep the review which are good and paid by apartment owners.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Cannot see entries. Although 3 rentals are indicated in the heading, only one is visible. Touching “Show all” destroys the filter and shows hundreds of listings. Useless! Marking a listing as a favorite saves it to list. Viewing them again weeks later, I forgot which listings I marked as favorites. The app does not show whether any listing is a favorite. Touching the heart may remove it from the list! Tragic! I see no way to retrieve and return it to the list.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This company took over After55 and wrecked the company. Seniors picked up After55's magazine in supermarkets and drug stores and they were a reliable source for leads. When they stopped printing, they wrongly assumed all readers would turn to the internet. No way 65+ seniors are going to search there. They completely lost their entire target market and advertisers - they literally trashed the company. Trying to work with them now? No way. Horrible customer service and response times. The company is too big and no one is accountable - they pass you from one person to another. Everyone in our community has canceled and we do not foresee a resurrection of this company any time in the future.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Apartment.com is usually okay but often the rent that a website has posted is not the actual rent of the apartment and there is not an actual sense of availability so I end up having to get most info from a phone call or email with the apartment itself. THE WEBSITE ENDS UP JUST GIVING ME A General idea. They could have more accurate availability and rent posted. I would also prefer for it to allow me to pick just 2, 3, or 4 beds instead of 2+ 3+ and so on. Pictures are usually provided though and they have a total move in cost calculator that I really like. They also tell you whether or not the apartment is pet-friendly.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I love the site. I looked at Apartments.com trying to find a place and I have found a few that I really truly like. The website is incredibly easy to use and is very user-friendly. Most things are self explanatory and if not they are easy to figure out. The site filters out the ones you already know have deal breakers. But when you use the filters, it takes out some apartments that have the filters in it sometimes. It is frustrating sometimes to try to use them while looking at apartments. Other than that you can get almost all questions about the apartment asked without having to waste the landlord's time or your own. It helped me take a few apartments out of the running.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Apartments.com was not too bad. I was able to find what I was looking for like the type of rental (bedrooms, bathrooms, SF, etc.), type of area it was located in (good schools, close to shopping) and if it had amenities. It gave me a general idea of what was available but I did not spend too much time on the site since I was also looking through other means (from word-of-mouth to other websites). It would be good to have some photos of what it's like though. Some of the photos only took of areas to make an area look great but when you visit, it's not all what it's hyped to be. Another one is the common demographics of people that live there. Some locations draw college students (which is OK if you're single but not with a family).

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I was working on figuring out how much apartments costs as well as what was available in my area. Because I run my own business I needed a two bedroom apartment with good access to where my clients live and it was very easy to specify and search for only what I needed. With some of the other websites you really had to dig through everything to figure out what you wanted. But I was unable to find some information that I wanted on the site itself, which made me start looking for housing through other options. I would have liked to have had more pictures of the apartments and more information about how walkable the apartments were. As the site is now I had to pull up Google Maps to figure out where the closest running trails were or calculate how long it would take me to walk to the grocery store. In the end, I got a place to stay through word of mouth instead of online.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Used site to find an apartment in a reasonable price range and part of town that accepted large dogs. It needed to be at least one bedroom with washer and dryer hookup. Apartments.com had some nice pictures of different complexes. The contact information was easy to find as well as descriptions of the apartment complexes amenities. It had less information than I wanted, but that seemed to be consistent with other websites. I didn't like that I would look for the rent amount only to be told to "contact us".

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I used this website to help my brother research apartments. The website made it super easy to compare different apartments, and we were able to ultimately pick an apartment for him to go visit in person. The website reduced the amount of work he had to do, i.e. he didn't have to visit a bunch of apartments in person. I like the layout - website is organized and user-friendly. I also liked that the listings included floor plans. The most helpful thing about it is the large number of photographs. The website helps you get a really good overall idea of each apartment. But the way the search results are listed was somewhat confusing - maybe because of sponsored listings? I understand that those are valuable to the owner of the website, and it also enables the owner to make the website free to us, but I wish there was a way to get away from that.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Apartments.com is a great resource for apartments in your area and I was very pleased with them. I specifically went to the site to find some 3 bedroom apartments where I live. I was able to view photos, read reviews, and check out prices of several different apartments. It was very helpful and will be one of the first websites I use when I am looking for an apartment. I liked that there were reviews from tenants. I also liked the amount of information that was provided for each apartment complex, that it showed the apartment layouts and that it listed prices. The only thing I would change is having more photos of the inside of the apartments which would be very nice and helpful in making a decision on an apartment to rent.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I had a good experience with Apartments.com. I was able to look at one apartment in person from my online search. I liked how clear it was like the contact information for the landlords. And the outlines and floor plans were easy to decipher. Everything was upfront - it didn't seem like anything was hidden or shady. I was pleased with the number of listings and the amount of places that I wouldn't have known about without seeing the website. Some of the rent amounts were not consistent with what I was quoted when I spoke to rental offices directly though.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Apartments.com was easy to navigate and fair amount of pictures for complexes. Also broken down by area which made searching a particular city or area easy. With the filters to determine what area and what amenities we wanted. But in big college towns it would be a huge time saver if the website could or would distinguish between student housing complexes and those that are for couples or families. It was difficult to determine that on Apartments.com and it was frustrating.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was looking for an apartment as close to my college campus as possible within my price range. I was kind of on short notice since it was for the upcoming semester, so I was not successful in my search and decided to end up staying on campus for another semester. The tools on this website are pretty helpful though! The tools specifically for pricing and distance were really easy to use. The website design is also easy to navigate and not stressful even though the process itself is and certain features were difficult to find. I disliked the lack of selection and variety, but this could also be due to the specifications I wished for the apartments to meet. It was generally a pleasant and easy experience.

Apartments.com Company Information