3.58/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratings

19 Apartments.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This company took over After55 and wrecked the company. Seniors picked up After55's magazine in supermarkets and drug stores and they were a reliable source for leads. When they stopped printing, they wrongly assumed all readers would turn to the internet. No way 65+ seniors are going to search there. They completely lost their entire target market and advertisers - they literally trashed the company. Trying to work with them now? No way. Horrible customer service and response times. The company is too big and no one is accountable - they pass you from one person to another. Everyone in our community has canceled and we do not foresee a resurrection of this company any time in the future.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Apartment.com is usually okay but often the rent that a website has posted is not the actual rent of the apartment and there is not an actual sense of availability so I end up having to get most info from a phone call or email with the apartment itself. THE WEBSITE ENDS UP JUST GIVING ME A General idea. They could have more accurate availability and rent posted. I would also prefer for it to allow me to pick just 2, 3, or 4 beds instead of 2+ 3+ and so on. Pictures are usually provided though and they have a total move in cost calculator that I really like. They also tell you whether or not the apartment is pet-friendly.

Get expert buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I love the site. I looked at Apartments.com trying to find a place and I have found a few that I really truly like. The website is incredibly easy to use and is very user-friendly. Most things are self explanatory and if not they are easy to figure out. The site filters out the ones you already know have deal breakers. But when you use the filters, it takes out some apartments that have the filters in it sometimes. It is frustrating sometimes to try to use them while looking at apartments. Other than that you can get almost all questions about the apartment asked without having to waste the landlord's time or your own. It helped me take a few apartments out of the running.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Apartments.com was not too bad. I was able to find what I was looking for like the type of rental (bedrooms, bathrooms, SF, etc.), type of area it was located in (good schools, close to shopping) and if it had amenities. It gave me a general idea of what was available but I did not spend too much time on the site since I was also looking through other means (from word-of-mouth to other websites). It would be good to have some photos of what it's like though. Some of the photos only took of areas to make an area look great but when you visit, it's not all what it's hyped to be. Another one is the common demographics of people that live there. Some locations draw college students (which is OK if you're single but not with a family).

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I was working on figuring out how much apartments costs as well as what was available in my area. Because I run my own business I needed a two bedroom apartment with good access to where my clients live and it was very easy to specify and search for only what I needed. With some of the other websites you really had to dig through everything to figure out what you wanted. But I was unable to find some information that I wanted on the site itself, which made me start looking for housing through other options. I would have liked to have had more pictures of the apartments and more information about how walkable the apartments were. As the site is now I had to pull up Google Maps to figure out where the closest running trails were or calculate how long it would take me to walk to the grocery store. In the end, I got a place to stay through word of mouth instead of online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apartments.com?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Used site to find an apartment in a reasonable price range and part of town that accepted large dogs. It needed to be at least one bedroom with washer and dryer hookup. Apartments.com had some nice pictures of different complexes. The contact information was easy to find as well as descriptions of the apartment complexes amenities. It had less information than I wanted, but that seemed to be consistent with other websites. I didn't like that I would look for the rent amount only to be told to "contact us".

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I used this website to help my brother research apartments. The website made it super easy to compare different apartments, and we were able to ultimately pick an apartment for him to go visit in person. The website reduced the amount of work he had to do, i.e. he didn't have to visit a bunch of apartments in person. I like the layout - website is organized and user-friendly. I also liked that the listings included floor plans. The most helpful thing about it is the large number of photographs. The website helps you get a really good overall idea of each apartment. But the way the search results are listed was somewhat confusing - maybe because of sponsored listings? I understand that those are valuable to the owner of the website, and it also enables the owner to make the website free to us, but I wish there was a way to get away from that.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Apartments.com is a great resource for apartments in your area and I was very pleased with them. I specifically went to the site to find some 3 bedroom apartments where I live. I was able to view photos, read reviews, and check out prices of several different apartments. It was very helpful and will be one of the first websites I use when I am looking for an apartment. I liked that there were reviews from tenants. I also liked the amount of information that was provided for each apartment complex, that it showed the apartment layouts and that it listed prices. The only thing I would change is having more photos of the inside of the apartments which would be very nice and helpful in making a decision on an apartment to rent.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I had a good experience with Apartments.com. I was able to look at one apartment in person from my online search. I liked how clear it was like the contact information for the landlords. And the outlines and floor plans were easy to decipher. Everything was upfront - it didn't seem like anything was hidden or shady. I was pleased with the number of listings and the amount of places that I wouldn't have known about without seeing the website. Some of the rent amounts were not consistent with what I was quoted when I spoke to rental offices directly though.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Apartments.com was easy to navigate and fair amount of pictures for complexes. Also broken down by area which made searching a particular city or area easy. With the filters to determine what area and what amenities we wanted. But in big college towns it would be a huge time saver if the website could or would distinguish between student housing complexes and those that are for couples or families. It was difficult to determine that on Apartments.com and it was frustrating.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was looking for an apartment as close to my college campus as possible within my price range. I was kind of on short notice since it was for the upcoming semester, so I was not successful in my search and decided to end up staying on campus for another semester. The tools on this website are pretty helpful though! The tools specifically for pricing and distance were really easy to use. The website design is also easy to navigate and not stressful even though the process itself is and certain features were difficult to find. I disliked the lack of selection and variety, but this could also be due to the specifications I wished for the apartments to meet. It was generally a pleasant and easy experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Apartments.com was ok. I was just browsing to get cost of living ideas. Had a decent amount of apartments and gave the basic information that I wanted. The rest of the information was extra and I did not really pay attention as it was not needed for my search criteria. It did provide that as I would have expected from such a site. If I needed more information it may have been different.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The website is efficient. I used Apartments.com when looking into buying an apartment for my family and I. I did a lot of research but figured out that buying an apartment at the location I was looking at, at the time, was not the best option for my family. I can tell that having a tool to research apartments specifically is very useful which was what I was interested on at the time. I remember that the website contained many important information about real estate.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I like that you got to view the places ahead of time, and see the condition of the apartments, and more info on the location. You also get to see the style of kitchen and fridge ahead of time and if they have hardwood floors. It gave information like pictures and prices, size of apartments and info on amenities like refrigerator, stove, pictures of bathroom, if they were pet friendly apartments and if they are looking for couples, or single people. I would like to know info like is there a window in every room and the downfalls of the apartments like next to actual trains passing right next the house and excessive noise or if there is major construction in the process nearby and parking. Also, would like to know more about the negatives, like owner doesn’t provide extermination services because these are deal breakers for me.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Very good overall. I was looking for an apartment for rent with a specific price point in mind, within a 25-mile radius. I was able to find many places that could have met my needs and I ended up finding my current apartment on the website. I like the variety of filters it gave as an option, it was very helpful for narrowing down my searches. I also liked that I could look online or on my phone and save past searches. However, I was specifically looking for places that included utilities and it either didn't provide that filter, or it was not very efficient at filtering this information.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The website was useful but didn't find a apartment. They showed a lot of different nice apartments but none that were good for my family and me. Also I received called from people that wanted to help me find a apartment which was very nice. The only thing I didn't like about the website was too many options when it came to the prices and sometimes it was confusing to find certain things. Hopefully someday soon I'll find one that'll be perfect.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Apartments.com is Good, actually found an apartment to live in right out of college. I needed to live in a certain location and it helped me find what I was looking for. I was working in Ann Arbor and wanted to stay close to my current husband's work locations since he is self employed. The website lists everything needed to know, amenities, locations. I was able to search by location to find something in a nice area. Anyone that can use the internet should be able to find what they are looking for.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Good. Easy to navigate. Useful information that helped me navigate the specific area I wanted to be in and exactly what price everything was per month. They also helped me find contact information, and ratings from other residents.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The website was fine. We were able to apply and schedule showings. Mostly large complexes that keep the same ads in all the time but would like more smaller, independent units. It was easy to search specific locations and dollar amounts. I liked that. The information was fairly comprehensive but there wasn't much variety in types of units. It was okay and I was satisfied.

Apartments.com Company Information