ADT vs. Xfinity
Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you
What is the difference between ADT and Xfinity?
ADT and Xfinity offer smart-home security solutions across the nation. ADT has more than 145 years of experience in the security industry, making them a well-known name to most people looking for security solutions. Xfinity started as an internet and TV company and is just getting into this side of the industry, so its services are relatively new but more affordable. This guide outlines the details of each company and their services to help you make an educated purchasing decision.
Installation and cost
|Installation type||Pro installation||Professional|
|Installation fee||$99 to $199 (may be included in package price)||$100|
|Upfront cost||$599 to $1,049 upfront or $9.98 to $17.48 monthly for 60 months||Equipment cost of $360 to $600+; financing available|
|Trial period||6-month money-back guarantee||30-day money-back guarantee|
|Contract terms||36 months (60 months if financing equipment)||Two years|
|Pro installation||$99 to $199 (may be included in package price)||$599 to $1,049 upfront or $9.98 to $17.48 monthly for 60 months||6-month money-back guarantee||36 months (60 months if financing equipment)|
|Professional||$100||Equipment cost of $360 to $600+; financing available||30-day money-back guarantee||Two years|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$28.99 to $57.99||$30+|
|Monitoring options||Professional||Professional and self-monitored|
|Self-monitoring||—||Self protection feature available (live recorded video) for $10/month|
|24/7 professional monitoring||Starting at $45.99||$30+|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||$57.99/month||$40+|
|$28.99 to $57.99||Professional||—||—||Starting at $45.99||$57.99/month|
|$30+||Professional and self-monitored||Self protection feature available (live recorded video) for $10/month||—||$30+||$40+|
|Wired or wireless?||Wired and wireless||Wireless|
|Camera options||Indoor & outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Siren||Not listed||Not specified|
|Panic button||Not listed||Via touch-screen control panel|
|Wired and wireless||Indoor & outdoor cameras||Not listed||Not listed|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—||Not specified||Via touch-screen control panel|
|Smart locks||Compatible with August, Kwikset and Yale|
|Smart lights||Compatible with GE (Jasco), Leviton, LIFX, Lutron Castéta, Phillips Hue, Sengled|
|Smart thermostat||Compatible with Carrier Cor, ecobee, Zen|
|Garage door control||Compatible with Chamberlain LiftMaster|
|Compatible with August, Kwikset and Yale||Compatible with GE (Jasco), Leviton, LIFX, Lutron Castéta, Phillips Hue, Sengled||Compatible with Carrier Cor, ecobee, Zen||Compatible with Chamberlain LiftMaster||—||—||—|
|Mobile app||MyADT Mobile App for account management; ADT Control for system management|
|Mobile app monitoring||Yes, via ADT Control app|
|iOS rating||4.8 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||4.4|
|Android rating||4.4 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||4.5|
|Notification/alert options||App, text and email||Text, email, push and TV|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Google Home||Not specified|
|Other integrations||Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices||xFi Gateway, Xfinity camera devices|
|MyADT Mobile App for account management; ADT Control for system management||Yes, via ADT Control app||4.8 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||4.4 for MyADT; 4.8 for ADT Control||App, text and email||Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices|
|4.4||4.5||Text, email, push and TV||Not specified||xFi Gateway, Xfinity camera devices|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.5||1.6|
|Verified customer reviews||ADT reviews||Xfinity Home reviews|
|1.6||Xfinity Home reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
ADT is a nationwide security company that specializes in smart-home security. ADT sells security packages at three different price ranges to give customers more flexibility with their options. When customers buy a package, the installation is included in the price. Other benefits include a 30-day trial and a six-month product guarantee. While ADT can be expensive, the benefits outweigh the overall cost for some customers.
- Secure Package: The Secure Package starts at $599 and includes a control panel, a motion detector and three door/window alarms. Customers can add additional equipment for an affordable price. Monthly financing is also available and starts at $9.98 per month for 60 months.
- Smart Package: The Smart Package starts at $919. This package comes with the equipment from the Secure Package and a smart door lock and a smart plug. For financing, customers can pay $15.32 per month for 60 months.
- Complete Package: The Complete Package starts at $1,049. This package comes with the entire line of equipment from the Secure and Smart Packages and adds an indoor camera and a Google Nest Doorbell. The company offers 60-month financing starting at $17.48 per month.
What ADT customers say
ADT has an overall positive rating on ConsumerAffairs. Many happy customers cite a positive installation experience with technicians that clearly explain the ins and outs of the system. Some customer reviews do note issues with false alarms and difficulty canceling the service. Customer service reports were mixed, but many customers commented on polite, respectful interactions and fast service.
Xfinity is known for its wireless solutions, but the company has recently emerged in the security space with smart-home security systems. It has a fairly wide product range, but there are a few significant gaps — the company does not currently offer a video doorbell, for instance. The company is still a good option for many people because there’s no upfront cost and the company has relatively affordable monthly fees. Many of the purchases include additional features like internet and TV access, which can help customers streamline everything wireless in one place. All purchases include a 30-day guarantee.
- Base Home System: The Base Home System is $15 a month for 24 months or a one-time payment of $360. This is considered to be a good choice for homes with one or two entrances. This package includes a touch-screen controller, three door/window sensors, a pet-friendly motion sensor and a yard sign.
- Complete Home System: For $20 a month for 24 months or a one-time payment of $480, customers can get the Complete Home System. This package includes a touch-screen controller, five door/window sensors, a pet-friendly motion sensor, a wireless keypad, an indoor/outdoor camera and a yard sign.
- Ultimate Home System: The Ultimate Home System costs $25 a month for 24 months or requires a one-time payment of $600. This package is Xfinity’s most robust and comes with a touch-screen controller, 10 door/window sensors, a pet-friendly motion sensor, a wireless keypad, two indoor/outdoor cameras and a yard sign.
What Xfinity customers say
Xfinity has mixed reviews on ConsumerAffairs. Customers who enjoy the service frequently comment on the HD cameras, mobile app control and competitive pricing, calling the equipment and service a good value. Other customers express frustration with customer service-related issues, including being passed from rep to rep to get their issues resolved.
Bottom line: ADT or Xfinity?
Where ADT and Xfinity really differ is in the product selection and price point. Xfinity does offer a DIY monitoring option for $10 a month, so that can be a good selling point for some customers. ADT video doorbells, which are a common security solution. Comparing the two is difficult, but weighing your needs and your budget is the best way to find the right solution for you when choosing between ADT and Xfinity.
- ADT is best for someone who wants a well-rounded security solution (and can afford it).
- Xfinity is best for someone who wants to streamline all of their wireless solutions in one easy place.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.