It's that easy Get a Free Quote
2.68/5
Based on 732 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty provides homeowners financial protection, knowing the unexpected may be expensive. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

As an accredited home warranty company by the Better Business Bureau, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 5.8 million homes over 38 years.

"LONG LIVE HAPPY HOMES®" says it all.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

1730 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

I would give zero stars but this was not an option. I bought my home on May 5th 2018, and my air conditioning system went out on May 15th 2018. I had all required inspections performed before purchasing, including HVAC and home inspection, at my expense. According to the HVAC contractor, my unit and system were functioning flawlessly. 10 days after moving in, the AC system locked up and has not worked properly since. I had purchased the highest warranty level offered through 2-10 Home Warranty in Denver Co.

Subsequently, I am still trying to get my issue resolved after two months of going back and forth with 2-10. The contractor they sent out told me that the unit was a ton too small for my house, does not meet North Carolina minimal code for the A/C, and they just advised me that I should pay 9 grand out of my pocket to have the unit replaced to code. The problem I have, among the sorry customer service, passing of the "buck", willful disregard for customer service and an apathetic attitude towards honoring the warranty I purchased is that no one there is willing to do what they guaranteed when I purchased this warranty.

They were very efficient at cashing my check for the warranty and are even more efficient at doing absolutely nothing to help out their customers. Following my last conversation with a 2-10 representative, Shanee, who advised me to just go ahead and have someone replace the entire system for $9,000.00 out of my pocket, I have contacted multiple news and media outlets who are very interested in pursuing bogus homeowner warranty companies such as 2-10. Looking very much forward to seeing the expose on national news syndicates and 2-10's response to how they make a lucrative living off of ripping honest and hardworking people off.

I would absolutely welcome the owner of 2-10 to give me a call personally to discuss this matter, but based on my previous interactions with their employees, I highly doubt that this will happen. I would also like to extend a cordial invitation to 2-10 to send a representative to my house to enjoy an 85 degree morning, afternoon and/Or evening in my home to see just how "wonderful" their repairs and service are not working. 2018 is the 7th hottest on record in 140 years in North Carolina since it has been tracked, and my family and I have experienced every single 100+ degree of it thanks to 2-10. Great job at doing absolutely nothing but ripping me off and making my family suffer in this extreme heat.

Top 1730 Reviews and Complaints about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was offered with the sale of the house when we purchased our home and due to the ease of not having to deal with a different one, this is now our fourth year with them. I usually submit a claim over the phone and it’s a fair experience. Also, the contractors are usually very good. One time, I had to call someone out on a holiday weekend and I ended up having to pay something. It took a little time but I got 2-10 to reimburse all but the 50 bucks. 2-10 tend to pester a little bit about renewing but I understand it’s part of their job and they offer a better price to renew early such as 50 or 100 bucks off. The experience is trifling because typically when you have to call for something, you have problems and you're really not in a very good mood. But I've been satisfied with them and I'd recommend them to a friend.

Original review: July 12, 2018

With our home purchase four years ago, came a 2-10 Home Warranty provided by the seller. We renewed it the following year and subsequent years as it was our first experience owning a 20+ year home and thought it would be a good idea. In the last three years, we have had to pay for 4 service calls for a HVAC cooling problem (waiting 3-5 days each time in the hot summer for a tech to arrive) only to put leak stop and refrigerant in a 23 year old HVAC. The last two techs said the HVAC needed to be replaced because parts can no longer be purchased. 2-10 refuses to replace the unit, stating that as long as the tech can get it to cool before leaving the property, they have provided the "proper service".

After 30 days, we will have to pay another $100 when it stops cooling again. One of the techs said that it was a carbon monoxide hazard and that we should have plenty of alarms and that 2-10 is known in the service industry to just "parts old systems to death instead of replacing them". At this point, we have paid more in premiums that if we would have just replaced the system in the first place. I called customer service many times to no avail. Customer service reps do not have e-mails or phone numbers you can contact them directly. Each time you call you have to talk to someone new. The last one said they would refund our latest service call and that never happened. We will not renew and would not recommend this company.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Glenna. It seems you have had a terribly frustrating experience with our services. We apologize for the amount of service fees you have paid just for the unit to not work after several weeks. Your claim will now be escalated and a team will follow up with you to discuss next steps. Thank you for the feedback.

Original review: July 12, 2018

My Ac unit has not been working since Jun 17 2018. I have had two different contractor come in. One said I need to change my whole unit. 2-10 refused to do that so they send a second company. They say we have to wait for parts to be ordered. I called customer service to make sure parts are ordered. I was told, "Yes". Waited couple of day for tracking information so I called again. I get told the parts were not ordered and a supervisor will order and expedite the parts and this was on 07/02/18.

On 07/05/18 I called and was told ETA is 07/11/18 and that they do not expedite shipping of parts to contractors and they can't see any tracking information so on 07/11/18 I called. Parts haven't been delivered. Talked to 2-10. They say wait till end of day to see. They should be delivered on 07/12/18. I called 2-10 again and I was told they don't know what's wrong with supplier of parts and they have to send information to the back office to figure out. Will have to wait 24 to 48 business hours to hear back.

This is just horrible. It's summer in Alabama. I have been patient but I think this company need to change the whole way of doing business or just close it because this is ripping people off when you pay for a service and you can't receive it in a timely manner and they don't care because the customer is the one who will continue to suffer. I have tried everything to give them a chance but every time someone doesn't do their job.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Patrick. We apologize for the mistakes our staff made and the long delay you are experiencing with this recent claim. I am sending this into my escalation team to see if we can expedite a solution for you asap. Thank you for the feedback.

Original review: July 12, 2018

When we bought the house, keeping 2-10, which came with it, saved us some money as it already got transferred to us. But then, I had no idea how to be a home buyer so I did not know about homebuyers' warranties versus home warranties. At that time, I turned the washer on and it was bad. We paid out of our pocket to get a guy come out and repair that since I did not know that the home warranty would have paid for that. When I learned all about home warranties, I did my research and I could not find anybody who heard of 2-10 at all. We looked at reviews online but we could not go by those as people tend to be negative for they wanted everything.

We had the coverage since we closed on the home just before Christmas. It would expire in two weeks and I will not renew it. They called me today to see if we wanted to renew our plan. My wife and I had to sit down and discuss everything and what made us decide not to renew besides the prices for what they want was what it would cost us for the warranty versus if there would be things that would go out on the house that we could just pay for out of our pocket. One of these factors was when our water heater went out. When we had the house inspected, we didn't skim ourselves on the inspection thinking we hired the best there was. However, we were told that our water heater was not up to code. I had a plumber in town who was a block from my house so I already knew what was needed to have the water heater up to code and we couldn't believe 2-10 didn't call him.

Some guy who had a regular pickup truck but didn't have the tools to do his job came and he told us that 2-10 called him to replace the water heater for us. The kind of person they sent to do the repairs wasn't even a licensed plumber which was important since it is gas and the house could burn out. I was distraught about that but we were desperate to have the thing done. I've got the proper line where it's called a gas line so I ended up finishing it myself. When I go back to work as I'm out of workers' compensation right now, I'm just gonna have someone to come out of my pocket. I got a water heater but I haven't checked to ensure the job was done thoroughly.

We're getting ready to do some massive work on the house. People will always tell me recommendations but I couldn't listen to those in this small town. They would promise somebody who's really good but it would turn out that they don't know anything about what they’re doing or the proper tools to do it so I'd rather have someone and pay extra to get it in right than halfway done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Had an AC claim open since 6/23/2018, it is now July 11, 2018. It's mid summer in Florida without a working A/C. I had to call every day to get updates on the claim and what the next step was in the whole process. I hired my own contractor to properly diagnostic the system so I had an idea what to expect. The company provided me with multiple items wrong with the unit and provided detailed pictures and explanations throughout the report. Refilled the unit with 3 pounds of Freon to get the system to cool until we could get 2-10 to confirm they would fix said name problems.

The company I hired called 2-10 to explain exactly what was going on with the unit and the service rep refused to take pictures on the unit and said that 2-10 will hire their own contractor to fix the problem regardless of what was stated in that report. Third contractor comes out and looks at the unit for 15 minutes and leaves and states dirty filter is causing the problem, the filter was weeks old at this point. Also took 5 days for this report to make it to 2-10. I have been with 2-10 for almost two years now and it's a shame they hire the cheapest possible person to conduct inspections. Buyer beware with 2-10, they will fight tooth and nail to not cover the items under contract!

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Matthew. It sounds like you have had an incredibly frustrating claim experience. We would like to better understand why this has gone on so long and what we can do to resolve this. Your review has been escalated and someone from our team will contact you soon.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I called in a repair request for our AC not working. After 24 hours and not hearing from anyone, I called 2-10 warranty and they said that they were still looking for a contractor. There must be at least a dozen within 30 miles of my home. When pushed for further clarification, the rep said that I had to give them 48-72 hours to locate a contractor. I asked if I located one would they cover the repair? They said only if the contractor was on their list. If not then I would be responsible for all costs and they would reimburse me for covered repairs at their contracted rate. So if the diagnostics, parts and labor was for example $500 and they only allowed a contractor $300, then I would be reimbursed $300. The balance was my responsibility.

On the other hand if 72 hours passed, and they could not find a contractor willing to work with the warranty company and accept their pre-negotiated fees. Then they would call me to authorize me to work with a contractor of my choice and I would be reimbursed the full amount minus the $75 service call deductible. 72 hours is a long time to wait in 90 degree heat while you wait to see if someone locates a AC/HVAC company willing to work for a warranty company. After calling several of the AC/HVAC companies in my area, I found out that not many will work for warranty companies because of their slow pay policies, slow response time and general hassles to work with them. In the meanwhile, I have to suffer in the heat and wait til the 72 hours passes so I can get authorization to contract a AC company. Now I'm wondering if the policy is worth the hassle.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Miguel. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has been while we locate a contractor in your region. Unfortunately a lot of our service providers are busy during this season which has caused some areas to have scarce availability for service. If you are still experiencing issues with us locating a service provider or need some assistance, please reach out to us privately and our escalation team will follow up with you.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Dishwasher - contractor they sent ordered the wrong part. It's been 15 days since I first called 2-10 and my dishwasher still hasn't been repaired. It will be at least a couple more days. Washer - contractor did not contact me in 24 hours, as promised. I had to call 2-10 customer service a second time to get an appointment set up. If the contractor comes tomorrow as promised it will have been 4 business days since I first called in the problem. This is not satisfactory. I will tell my realtor the product she is pushing is no good.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Norma. We apologize for the overall claim delay you are having to face. We will escalate your claim and do our best to help generate a solution for you as soon as possible. Thank you.

Original review: July 11, 2018

2-10 came with my house and I’ve had coverage from them for a year now. I usually submit my claims on the phone and my experience with their claims reps has been wonderful. The first plumber they sent out though tore out my yard and refused to come in because it was raining. He didn’t want to get his stuff wet and he said he would be back in a week. So I called 2-10 and told them to never send that plumber to my house again. They sent out another plumber which was great.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Rickey. We are terribly sorry for your first contractor experience. We appreciate you working with us despite this issue and we are glad to hear that it all worked out. If you need any other support, feel free to contact us as anytime.

Original review: July 10, 2018

This is the WORST experience with a home warranty company I’ve ever had. Do NOT Use them, there are plenty of other home warranty companies out there that value their clients. Our disaster started May 25th when we had our dishwasher repaired through 2-10. The contractor from Simple Beautiful Maintenance fixed our dishwasher, but in the process he removed the door and broke the hinges and seal. This caused the dishwasher to leak. We called 2-10 to explain the situation. They sent out the same contractor to fix the door. This contractor called us and was aggressive, condescending and unprofessional saying he never took the door off (we saw him take it off). This made us uncomfortable so we called 2-10 to send someone else.

Then they dispatched another contractor A+ Appliance who came out June 22. He told us the dishwasher was broken from improperly removing the door. He did his diagnoses and told us he had parts he needed order and that we would see him the following week. No call. No show for 2 weeks. On the 3rd week we called 2-10 and spoke with a supervisor named Jeff. Jeff was able to get in touch with the supervisor of A+ Appliance and that supervisor said he would call me in 15 minutes... we didn’t receive a call until the next day, Friday 7/6 to set up the appointment to repair the door as “the parts were in”. We had an appointment for Monday 7/9 at 3:30... guess what? No call NO show.

At this time after calling the contractor from A+ Appliance multiple times and receiving no answer and no return phone call, I called 2-10 again and spoke with Samantha and Jeff which were floor supervisors at the time. I was told that I had an option to do a buyout so that I can stop being inconvenienced and would receive funds for the parts of my dishwasher that are broken and repair it myself. I was advised by Jeff to call the buyout department, which I did on Tuesday, 7/10. I spoke with Jasmine who informed me That A+ Appliance never put a diagnosis in the computer which means a buyout is not an option for me until another company comes out to do the diagnosis?!?!

This is just ridiculous. It’s insane. How can no one be able to make this right??? No dishwasher for weeks. I’ve spent countless hours on the phone with various reps from 2-10 and to be honest the customer service is subpar. No one really knows what to say. They just keep trying to send out different contractors. This wastes my time and I’m tired of taking off work for this nonsense. This company is so unprofessional and has no regard for their clients time and efforts. Take your business elsewhere.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Tami. We are very sorry for the way this claim has played out up until this point. Our escalation team is doing our best to get this back on track for you and obtain a diagnosis from your contractor. We appreciate your continued communication and cooperation while we try to straighten this out. If you have any other questions or concerns, please reach out to your escalation advocate, or send us a private response on this website.

Original review: July 10, 2018

2-10 came with the purchase of my new house. I generally submit claims online. The website is fine but when they want serial numbers, it’s a pain. Submitting a claim is not a problem, but their response time is poor in my book. Also, when I bring up these issues they give generic, scripted answers. Still, the contractors they've sent perform as expected. However, when I told 2-10 my air conditioner was out and it took ‘em three days to get here. I live in Texas and it was 105 degrees outside. Also, I had a microwave go out and it took ‘em three weeks to come to a resolution on it. Plus, they paid for me to handle getting it replaced completely by myself. I wouldn’t recommend 2-10 to somebody I didn’t like. Others people should use one of their competitors.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Brady. We apologize for our overall claim turn around time. We are undergoing some changes within the fall to our processes to try and improve our overall turn around time. We appreciate your overall support thus far and we hope you stick with us long term.

Original review: July 9, 2018

We just moved into a new condo and last February, we started with 2-10 Home Buyers. I've always filed claims over the phone and they have the people to fix the problem plus, I’ve had good reception quickly. There have been a few items that we’ve had fixed and everything has always been fairly efficient. 2-10 was very good and I'd recommend them.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Patrick. We are thrilled to hear that our services so far with you have been efficient and good. We appreciate your review and your continued business.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2018

We have two rentals plus our home under 2-10 for a year. When I submitted a claim for a dishwasher problem, I called 2-10 and they told me they called the Express Service company. The company came out, got their $60, and we never heard from them. We called them and left a message but no one ever called us. They also didn’t tell us what they were gonna do. So, we called the warranty people and talked to them. Their rep said that we would get a new dishwasher but until now, we still haven't gotten one. I called Express Service several times and they told me that they are not sure if we’re gonna get a new one or not. This issue is at the rental home in Texarkana and it has been a real drag on the people who reside in the house.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Jackie. We are terribly sorry that your contractor was so a no show after the initial visit and the toll it has taken on your tenants. We are going to have our escalation team follow up with this further to see if we can help move this claim forward. Thank you for the review!

Original review: July 7, 2018

We had a leak in our kitchen which we contacted 2-10 for a plumber. We were extremely happy with the gentleman who came out to fix our problem. He was totally personable and did a fantastic job. We hope if we ever need another plumber, we get this same man. Thank you.

Original review: July 7, 2018

We've had 2-10 since we moved into the house in September and, at first, we had a hard time with our claims because we have to wait until they find us a person. And then, we have to wait for them to call us and sometimes they get somebody that's too far out and we have to call and say that, "They're too far out. Can we have somebody else?" We had to go through two or three people before we find somebody that's close by and that can come out and take care of us. If we can't use our own people that's what usually happens. Sometimes they let us use our own people and if they do, then it's quicker and it's easier.

Dealing with their reps has been good and the only thing I don't like is that they make people come out and do little things before getting to the big things. And I haven't liked their contractors at all. 2-10 should let the consumer use their own contractor. Also, they should have better communication with the consumer. When we had our water heater fixed, we wanted to do a buyout because we wanted an upgrade but they went ahead and didn't contact us. So, they shipped a 40 gallon to us instead of a 50 gallon which we have told them we originally wanted. And then, basically they said what we have was a 40 gallon so that's what we're gonna get.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Colleen. Thank you for the feedback! We apologize for the contractor issues you have dealt with, as well as the ordering of the wrong tank size. Your review will be sent in to see if there is anything we can do to correct some of these issues. Thank you again!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Our realtor purchased this warranty for our new home as a gift. We had furnace issues, had 5 different companies out, and in the end had to buy our own furnace as no one could give them the same diagnosis. Every time I called I was treated horribly by the customer service. This company has the rudest employees working for them and there is no customer service management team or the employees would refuse to transfer.

Purchasing this plan would be a waste of anyone's money. By the time you take off work for multiple appointments it's cheaper to pay to do it yourself or take off once for a single company. But multiple times for a full time working family is difficult but this company doesn't care. Definitely wouldn't recommend based off their customer service alone cause when you have a frustrated customer on the phone you should be sympathetic and not yell at them or belittle them but that's what these employees do and apparently it's ok.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Carrie. We are extremely disappointed to hear about your experience. We care deeply for our customers' well being and we apologize if this was not translated well. We also apologize for the continual contractor and scheduling issues you dealt with. That had to have been frustrating for you and your family. Your review will be escalated and we will reach out to you soon. Thank you for the feedback.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Home warranty was included in the purchase of our home five years ago. Every year the premium has risen by at least one hundred dollars. Have had them to our home to check air conditioning/heating unit three times in the past five years. Three years ago we had a lot of condensation on the coils. Of course the technician was told to only band aid it, the unit is 18 years old. We have been very careful with the unit and have even used a wet vacuum to “suck out” some of the accumulating condensation. Friday evening, the unit caught fire and our home probably would have caught fire had we not smelled it burning. The technician who responded stated “this unit is fried."

Fast forward to 2-10 response they are not liable to fix the air conditioner because the fire is a secondary diagnosis, that was caused by something else!!! Yes, it was caused because they did not pay to have the situation fixed three years ago. They will give us 449 dollars to replace coils that cannot be replaced without the whole unit being replaced. Very angry, dissatisfied and definitely will not renew in the spring. Will contact our Century 21 realtor and tell them not to recommend this company.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Shari. Thank you for the review. Unfortunately we cannot always cover every issue that arises in our customers' homes. We are interested in how your unit caught fire and whether or not this was actually from our previous repair. Your claim will be escalated and someone from our team will reach out to you soon.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I realize that I have to use this company, when I can actually reach them. The representatives are nice and try to help. Our A/C went out in the beginning of June. The contractor you found for us is nearly two hours away. I don’t understand this as there are plenty of local contractors. The contractor came out once and we’ve not seen them again. I live in the South and it’s 97 degrees outside, it’s 109 upstairs in my home. I believe that now, finally 2-10 is trying to help but I also believe it’s because for the last two weeks I’ve called several times a day. This is unacceptable. Four weeks without air is ludicrous. Thank you.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Mary. We can understand your frustration with us after having assigned a contractor that is so far away. Just to reinforce the support you said you are beginning to receive, we will also have our escalation team follow up with you. If you need anything else, please reach out again. Thank you.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I filed a termite treatment warranty service request and when the service provider called, I was told that to cover the treatment under the warranty service, it would be more expensive than to go and just have a whole house treatment and I would get a multi year cost free warranty with that that would cover any subsequent treatments. Not sure what the point of this company is other than to scam people.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings. Unfortunately your service agreement we do have some items that need reconsideration for next years contract. In any case, we do our best to tell our customers deals that would be more beneficial to them so that you end up getting more worth on your dollar. This was not in anyway done to "scam". Different service agreements and states have different coverages. We will do our best to make sure our service agreements continue to improve in the future.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I should not have to argue about whether I am covered or not. I received some spiel about my AC issue being a "pre-existing condition". This is not a brand new home. Everything is pre-existing. I absolutely will not put up with dodgy service like this. Will never recommend this company to anyone nor will I renew. I have no faith they will hold up their end when I actually have a major issue. Have brought all of this up with my realtor as well which is the one who recommended this company. From other reviews I have read it seems like if something major does happen they will simply buy out your contract for a few hundred dollars leaving you out in the wind. How is any of this even legal?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Matthew. Unfortunately in your service agreement, if your unit was not in good safe and working condition before the service agreement went into a effect, or the damages have been determined to have existed over a prolonged period before your agreement went into effect, your repairs will not be covered. If you feel you can prove with maybe an inspection report that your unit was operating efficiently before moving into your home, we can always reconsider our decision. In any case, I will escalate this on your behalf to see if there is anything we can do for you in regards to this claim. Thank you for the feedback.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We've had 2-10 for a year and two months now and they're awesome. They're also cheap at $35 a month. We were told about them by my loan officer and that they were the best. I submitted a claim over the phone right when we bought the house and the interaction with the rep was great. However, I ended up canceling it since we figured out what was wrong.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Jennifer! Welcome to the 2-10 family. We are delighted to hear that you have had a positive experience with our company thus far. Thank you for the lovely review!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I’ve had coverage by 2-10 on my home for two years and I usually submit my claim over the phone. My experience with their claims reps has been good. We've been using 2-10 a lot and everything worked out very well. But sometimes the service contractor that they send out is good and sometimes not. It depends on the company but the recent claim I had went well.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the review Cathy. WE are glad that we have generally provided you with exemplary service. We apologize for the occasional poor contractor dispatch. Please let us know the next time you receive a bad contractor so that we can report your experience internally.

Original review: July 5, 2018

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was a part of our house when we first bought it. We usually call when submitting claims. We're more personable that way. Most of the claims were okay, but the last one gave us a bit of an issue. We filed a claim on a leak and they said that everything was taken care of. However, we had to go back the next week since nobody was calling us. They canceled it and we had to call and start it all over again. Then, they only did half of the claim because half of it, they said, wasn't covered. They said it was at the well. But other than that, we were all right. The reps at 2-10 did well.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the review Ralph. Despite that recent issue with being contacted by your service provider, we are happy to hear that you have overall enjoyed our services. Thank you for being cooperative and patient with us. We appreciate your continued support.

Original review: July 4, 2018

A basic contract with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was purchased by the seller of my house. Upon turning on the A/C for the first time during this season, I discovered that it was cooling the house. I contacted 2-10 and they assigned a contractor to come to my house to diagnose the problem. The contractor came and inspected the system and advised that everything was working properly. While the contractor was at my house, the system did begin to cool the house, and I believed that the issue was resolved. After the contractor departed, the temperature in the house began to rise again indicating that the A/C system was not working properly. I contacted 2-10 again to complain and they assigned another contractor and waived the $100 fee that I would have been responsible for paying to the contractor just for coming to my house.

This contractor came to my house and without any testing of the system determined by visual inspection that took all of 5 minutes that the outdoor unit fan motor was locked up and the system was failing due to lack of maintenance. This is what he reported to 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. 2-10 made the decision that they would not cover any repairs since the contractor reported that the system was failing due to lack of maintenance by the previous owner(s). Since we could not continue with A/C in the house, I contacted another contractor (One Hour Heating and Air). They dispatched a technician to my house and he tested the system using the necessary equipment and did not make a decision based on visual inspection only. He got the system running and it appeared to be functioning properly.

Since I advised him that this occurred with a previous contractor, he decided to take the time to see if the system would fail again after running for a period of time. Within a period of 30-45 minutes the system stopped working properly. He determined that the system could be repaired with the replacement of the outdoor unit fan motor and the condenser. While this repair would get the system up and running, he could not give a time frame for how long it would continue to run based on the age of the system, and recommended that we consider replacement. The issue with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is that they based their decision to not pay for any repairs on the visual inspection of the second contractor and his comment that the system was not properly maintained.

As a side note, the technician from One Hour Heating and A/C advised that it had nothing to do with a lack of maintenance and that the particular model of the outdoor unit had issues in the production process which contributed to the degradation of the coils and subsequently caused the problem with the fan motor. 2-10 advised me that they could not cover my system solely on the fact that the contractor advised that the system failure was the result of lack of maintenance. They looked for a loophole in the contract which said that they do not cover maintenance as the justification for not paying for any repairs. The bottom line is that a home warranty with 2-10 is a waste of money. I definitely will not extend coverage with this company once the initial year contract expires.

Updated on 07/14/2018: As a follow up to the review submitted on 4 July 2018, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty reached out to me to follow up on my initial claim for repair of my heat pump system, after explaining the details of what occurred in association with my initial claim and the basis that they used to refuse to cover any costs, I submitted all invoices that I had including their initial contractor review, the review by the contractor who I hired to diagnose the problem, and the invoice for the cost that I incurred to replace the entire heat pump system.

The bottom line is that 2-10 decided that they could only reimburse for the cost of the outdoor unit based on the cost provided by their contractor and not based on the amount that I paid. I also submitted a letter from the contractor who installed my new heat pump to justify the need to replace the entire system vice just the outdoor unit. The letter explained that it was their professional opinion that the indoor unit also needed to be replaced due to the government mandated switch from R22 to R410A refrigerant. Their professional opinion was that "when converting to R410A refrigerant running at a higher pressure, this often causes evaporator coil failure and we do not recommend replacing just one component in a R22 system."

2-10 focused on "it is of our professional opinion" in the letter and determined that they did not have to reimburse for the indoor unit as it was not broken and that the replacement was based on their opinion. The entire system would not have been replaced if 2-10 had done their due diligence and paid for the repairs of the outdoor unit when I submitted my initial claim. I replaced the entire system because I was paying out of pocket and it was more fiscally responsible in the long run for me to pay for a new warrantied system than to pay for repairs that had no guaranteed life span. I can only wonder if 2-10 would have paid for repairs if I did as they suggest by their reimbursement and only replaced the outdoor unit and the refrigerant change cause the evaporator coil to fail on the indoor unit.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Larry. Thank you for the review. We are concerned to read that you feel our in network contractor filed a fallacious report. A denial due to lack of maintenance is a common issue many of our homeowners face. This is not us trying to find a loophole in our service agreement but rather denying based off of the report we receive and the lack of coverage for that issue. However, we are surprised to hear that our contractor only did a visual inspection to obtain this diagnosis. Also, we would like to know more about what your tech from One Hour Heating and A/C found when servicing your unit. Your claim will be escalated and someone from our team will review this shortly to see if we can overturn this denial. Thank you and if you need anything else, please reach out again.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We've had coverage from 2-10 since October. My wife called them and submitted a claim for some foundation work, and they covered quite a bit of it by sending us a check. We were happy with that and it was nice to get some coverage on that. The contractors that came out were courteous and they got the job done.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback Cody! We are elated to hear about your recent claim experience. Welcome to the 2-10 HBW family and thank you for the support.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I was in the process of searching for a home and 2-10 Home Buyers warranty was offered to me. Their coverage came with buying the house and since then they're available pretty much anytime. I submit claims over the phone and they would get someone out to my place fairly quickly. The contractors they send have been very helpful and respectful. Whenever we had an issue with our air-conditioner, they would come on the very same day we scheduled an appointment. Also, it was winter last year when we were having trouble with our heat. Their technician came out the very same day we scheduled as well. He said that he knew we had kids in the home and that he didn't want us to be without heat. He was great. So, I tell people at my job all that time that 2-10 has a great price they would save a lot of money if they went through them.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My husband and I have been trying to get our AC fixed for over a week now. We've been on the phone with 2-10 four times over the past three days. We've talked with 4 first level employees and 2 supervisors. Ultimately, we've gotten off the phone frustrated. The three main sections of this company work disjointedly. When we called one section, they had a difficult time answered questions because "it wasn't in their procedure." We've also been given conflicting information over and over. We've had to call several times because of all of the delays. What should have been a part ordered and a contractor hired has turned into us making 2-3 calls a day to the contractor, parts supplier, and 2-10 just to get the information correct. That's unacceptable. We should not be out of AC for 9 calendar days (and counting!!) just because this company has poor communication.

Today I finally got on the phone with the department that could give the answers we had been looking for. Unfortunately, they did not give me correct information. We were told the part would be delivered today, but about an hour ago I received an email from 2-10 with an ETA for delivery of being July 10 - that's 7 BUSINESS days, not the 2-5 they promise. Also, that puts us at being without AC 17 calendars and doesn't even account for the fact that we then have to get an appointment with our contractor. That's just not acceptable at all.

We continue to ask ourselves why we paid for this service in the first place. At this point, for a little more than the money we spent purchasing this warranty, we could have our AC fixed already. We wonder why we would pay people to delay service and miscommunicate information, keeping us in the heat. If you're thinking of working with this company to cover your home, consider another before purchasing. We've been very unhappy so far.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Morgan. Thank you for reaching out to us on here and on our other review site. We apologize for the miscommunication you encountered with this recent purchasing. We also apologize for the overall delay you are experiencing. I am going to escalate this for you and work on generating a solution with my escalation team. We will contact you soon to further discuss your claim.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We've had the coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty protecting our home for about a year and a half to two years. I submitted a claim for our refrigerator. The problem started off with the water and ice, where we get our water and ice through the door. It didn't work. The ice maker had been working prior to that. The 2-10 contractors came and fixed that and I told them to make sure that it was making ice before they leave. They left and it still wasn't working. It wasn't even getting cold in the ice maker section. They came out again. There was a fan down in the bottom which moved the air up to where the ice maker's at and they replaced that fan, but it still didn't work. When I called back again, they said that our coverage doesn't cover the ice maker. All that we did was for nothing.

The contractors that came out didn't know what they were doing. I was disappointed that we didn't accomplish what our goal after all that work. We also had a dishwasher that was leaking and they took care of that fine. However, I was unsatisfied with the refrigerator experience and I would let my friends know the process we went through and the outcome.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Steve. We apologize that you had a recent issue with your Ice Maker. We should have told you from the jump that you lacked coverage for your unit. Thank you for sticking with us despite this recent oversight. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and we will do our best to make sure this mistake does not happen again.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Our Realtor brought 2-10 up, showed us the brochure and it was part of what we bought when we got the house. I've submitted several claims with 2-10 and they are worth it. I would go online, fill out the form and then they would call me quickly and ask if I have an issue. Once, I filed a claim for my pool but there were no vendors here that they have a relationship with so I got to my pool guy and 2-10 was very flexible with that. My pool guy came over, looked at the issue and called 2-10 who was happy to pay him when he fixed the issue.

We also used 2-10 for our plumbing, electrical, and AC problems and they had people here in town. Those people called me, showed up, fixed whatever the problem was and I paid them $60. It was easy and painless. I've never had a problem with the contractors 2-10 has sent me, except for one plumber who we had to call to come back and refix an issue he thought he fixed. But other than that, I've never had a problem with them.

Original review: July 2, 2018

2-10 was offered to me when we purchased our home and I've been a customer of theirs for two years. Submitting a claim was easy and painless. I did one claim online and their online site was user-friendly. And then, I did another one over the phone and my interaction with their claims representative was good. The contractor's work was good. Everything was fixed and we didn’t have to wait. 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is a good investment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the review Jake! We are thrilled to hear that you have had a great experience with us. We appreciate your continued support and business.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW) has been in business for more than 35 years and is the only company that provides a 10 year insurance-backed structural warranty for new construction and a Home Warranty Service Agreement protecting the home’s major systems and appliances. Based in Denver, the company has protected more than 5.5 million homes.

• Low service fee: 2-10 HBW charges a low service fee of about $50. Service fees are clearly stated on contracts so homeowners will never be surprised.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week and also request service online through the 2-10 HBW website.

• Structural warranties: Homebuilders can become 2-10 HBW members and then offer structural warranties on the homes they sell. These warranties can give sellers a competitive edge in a tight real estate market.

• Blog: The 2-10 HBW website includes a blog with free informational resources. There are posts to help homeowners, homebuilders and real estate agents.

• Online quotes available: 2-10 now offers a new ‘Get a Quote’ feature on their website where, within a few easy steps, builders, real estate professionals and homeowners can get a quote.

• Best for: builders, real estate professionals and homeowners.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information