2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

"LONG LIVE HAPPY HOMES®" says it all.

BOTTOM LINE

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

PROS
    • Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available
    CONS
    • Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was also proactive and thought ahead for me. They were gonna be calling me back if I had any other problems.

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear from the contractor until Monday but we heard from them on a Saturday. They were out within 24 hours.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which range from $75–$100. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
      • Built-in microwave
      • Disposal
      • Trash compactor
      • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
      Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
      Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
      Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
      Limited roof leak$1,000/term
      Septic system$500/term
      Swimming pool$1,000/term
      Well pump$500/term
      Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
      Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
      *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
      2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
      3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
      4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

My basement was flooded and 2-10 had PlumbRight come out. The guy came out and unclogged it. But I had to pay for the carpet cleaning people to come out. I also had to pay for PlumbRight to come back out because 2-10 wouldn't pay for it to be scoped, to run a camera down. Back in spring, I had an issue with my washer. They told me that that the piece for it wouldn't be in for a month. They paid not to replace the washer 'cause it was older. They just paid me for the part for $208. But I went back and forth with them forever about that situation.

I don't like dealing with the automated system as far as where they want you to go online and submit. The way that system is set up like if you need to have multiple things done that are in different categories, that's not very user-friendly. If I call them and tell them my garage door doesn't open, my stove isn't heating up, and my AC has an issue, over the phone, they can place those three different orders as $100 each. But still I can take care of all three of them at once.

When you go online and do it, it's not that simple for their customers to find their telephone number if they do need to call because they're really trying to make you use their online system. The online system is very difficult to maneuver through and to file a claim doing it that way. Then when you do call them, they give you too much runaround. The phone number is not accessible very easily on their website. By the time you do call in, their phone service part for you to get to the part that you need has too many steps. It's not user-friendly either. It ends up hanging up on you because you've said something wrong or it can't understand you, or you end up just finally giving in and just pushing a random button to get to an actual human. Then that human still has to forward you to the correct department.

When my basement flooded, even though it literally took me about 30 to 45 minutes to get somebody back on the phone, they gave me a company, Jeffersontown Plumbing, that did not respond. I called that company. I started calling them before they closed but they didn't respond then. It kicked to their emergency number and I called their emergency person repeatedly. Then I called back in to 2-10 and it was about a 30, 45-minute situation for me to get ahold of 2-10 again. By the time I got them live, I told them, "My basement is flooding. I need somebody now. I don't have time to keep waiting."

The rep changed it to an emergency so it's a good thing I asked because this could have been blindsided if I hadn't. I asked if they could tell me who the company would be. I made the assumption that when they moved it from a regular phone call to an emergency, they would change the company. But that was not the case. They just flagged it differently in the system for the same company. When she told me it was still Jeffersontown, I told her I needed a new company because I called them before they went off the clock but nobody responded. She had to go to a supervisor and request to give me PlumbRight. But it's not like this has happened all the time. Once you start dealing with a company, it's pleasant. I haven't had a bad experience dealing with their subcontractors.

I've recommended 2-10 more than once. I do let people know those two things but when I finally do get to a human to tell them what my needs are, the process is very simple. They are quick about telling me if it's in my coverage or no and getting me assigned to somebody. I do know other companies that charge less though. I've got some friends that use some of the other companies that charge like $75. My other battle with them is I refuse to pay outrageous money. I've been with them since '09 and this is the first time when I renewed this year, they sent me a thing in the mail and told me I was going to pay $94 a month. I said, "Absolutely not. I'm not paying your $94 a month." I started with this company paying maybe $50 and now I'm up to $60.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Diyana, we’re glad that we could help resolve your service request. More importantly, we appreciate your honest feedback about the issue you had throughout the service request process. We want to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to make the service request process a positive experience for you.

If you’d like to discuss more, please send us a private message here.

Thanks again for your feedback..

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I just renewed and so far, so good for the most part. There had been times that I thought the service took a little longer than I would've wanted them to come and fix something, but it's okay. They've been out here four times. The first one was when the P-trap under the sink was leaking and the guy that came was great. I called one day, and the day after, he was here that morning. The response time was excellent. After that, there was the AC claim. The AC always goes out on the weekend, which is par for the course. It seems like it always happens like that, so then I had to wait until a week. I can live with that and that worked fine.

The AC guy has been out twice and he was very professional and seemingly very thorough. He took pictures of things up in the attic, so he could show me and I didn't have to climb up there. When he was a little later than he initially told me, he called and gave me a heads up. That was cool. The claim with the garbage disposal took the longest and it was the worst. If I didn't already pay the $85, I would want to put it in myself.

When I talked to the guy, it was, "What do you want me to do? Do you want me to put you before other customers?" I said, "No. I just want you to keep your word. If you tell me you're gonna be here on Monday, be here on Monday. That's all I want. I'm not saying put me before anybody else. But you told me." He's like, "Well, I'm sorry. There are other people ahead of you." I said okay and just hung up. I then called 2-10 and spoke with them. They called him and got him back out. He was better when he came back. It seems like he may be working by himself, and he was pressured, but I wasn't gonna take the brunt of that.

On the phone, he wasn't quite as humble, but when he came back to fix the garbage disposal, he was very humble about it. When he came back here, he said, "I really apologize for the last conversation. I'm gonna get you straight today." I told him that I wasn't mad at him and that life is too short to be holding grudges and being upset with people. I let him know that didn't appreciate how he spoke to me, but I told him that already, so I was done with it.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi, we’re glad you had a positive experience overall, but we want to apologize for the delay on your weekend claim we dispatched.

If you’d like to discuss more, please send us a private message here.

We’ll do our best to make sure that you have a more positive experience next time. Thank you for your feedback.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

When we purchased the house, I had it inspected and I paid for everything. The person who represented the owner said that the house was waterproofed for flooding. But mud clogged back up in the sump pump and came back up in my house. I put the claim in and the contractor came. I had flood in my basement and it was supposed to have been waterproof down there. It was supposed to not leak. It ruined a lot of stuff down there. They gutted out everything down there. I'm waiting for them to come back for the rebuild. But from my understanding when talking to another representative from 2-10, they said the warranty didn't cover flood and sewage. Our basement is in ruins and I'm not a happy camper right now.

I went through my homeowner's insurance and I don't know what are the portion that 2-10 can do. When I spoke with them, I went through the claim with a plumbing part, and then the tech told me that I needed to run another pipe to go out to the extension of the house to let the water flow that way. Then that way, it wouldn't come back in the house. So someone had to pay someone to do that.

The contractor left their equipment in here for about five days, came back, and picked it up that Monday. I asked them what would happen next and the guy said that the adjuster will come out for a rebuild to assess. Because I have to replace one of my doors, the vanity in the bathroom, plus the walls down there, where they cut all around there. This will cost about $280,000 and I haven't even been in the house for two months. But right now, I have to wait for the assessor adjuster to come back out so they can put the house back together downstairs because they had to cut out the drywall all the way around.

I need to know everything that 2-10 covers and do not cover. I understand I had to pay the co-pay whenever there's a claim. But I would like that everyone be upfront with me about this. Someone from 2-10 should've came out and spoke with me as we took over this house and explained to me the coverage of the warranty. Also, every time I try to get on the website, the account is still under another name. It wouldn't let me go in there under my own name. When I called them, they said they see that I was the new homeowner. But it was crazy because they told me to go on the website and do my claim that way. But I'm not able to do it that way.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I had some trouble with the water heater. The first time, it really wasn't handled. The first contractors that 2-10 sent out installed some sort of a relay valve. All my faucets were running nothing but hot water, even the cold was hot. I had hot spots on the floors. The water was running too hot through the house. And they installed this valve saying it should have had been initially. They even charged me for that. The original contractor put the valve in, and it didn't do any good. I put it back on the warranty again. Another contractor came out and just turned the heat down and unplugged my recirculating pump which creates hot water. So now, I have cold water but it takes forever to get hot. I was kinda at a loss one way or the other, but at least I have the opportunity to get cold water now.

My floor is not buckling anymore and my floor’s not hot. My ice maker doesn't freeze up within every week and I have to defrost it because it's taken hot water. My clothes aren't shrinking anymore, which is great. So if I gotta wait a little while for some hot water, I will. That's what I'm living with because we’re not gonna jackhammer the floor out. Nothing would cover that.

2-10 came with the purchase of my home. I intend to continue with it because they did have contractors that show up and it’s inexpensive, so I will continue to use the product. I used them for my downstairs air conditioning that stopped working. I had a guy come out and he said it was installed improperly and he had to fix it. He had to get a part so we didn't have any cold air for a week or two. He was knowledgeable and he did a good job. Then I've had some issues on my toilets. The toilet was installed too close to the wall so it's making black mold on my wall, but they said they can't fix that. They would have to jackhammer the floor out, but they said the warranty would cover that. So I am gonna have the floors replaced. So I'll have them back out to do something with that.

I tried to do another claim yesterday. They rejected it saying that it had already been reported too many times and they couldn't do anything about it. My toilet that they worked on needs to be reseated because it's making a horrific smell, but I’ll have to do that myself because they rejected that one. Other than that, 2-10 really follows up well. Their communication is really good. The contractors are effective. It was a little imperfect, but overall, it's been good. And they actually show up. To find contractors in this area to show up when they say they're going to do and do what they say they're gonna do, even if they don't do it perfectly, is next to a miracle. That's the best part.

Original review: July 29, 2020

It was pretty confusing to submit the claim at first because we were first-time homeowners. Going on to the website and checking out things that qualify and things that didn't qualify to be claimed was a ton of stuff to sift through. The first claim that we had was a leak in the pipes. We didn't know it was a plumbing issue because it was in the wall so we didn't know if we could claim it or not. We worked with 2-10 and they contracted someone to come and look at it, which was an immediate $100 deductible without really knowing what was going on. We put in the claim on Saturday and the tech came out on Monday. At that point, we only knew that there was a leak coming through our ceiling in a bedroom downstairs. With us being first-time homeowners, we were kind of freaking out a little bit. We were thinking if it was gonna be a massive build and if it was not claimable or if it was going to be claimed.

Reading all the fine print and trying to figure out what the issue looks like without actually knowing what the problem was was extremely confusing. Once the tech came out, he had to tear into the ceiling and into the wall. We found out that none of the drywall stuff was covered but then the plumbing ended up being covered. But the second claim was pretty straightforward. Our water heater went out and the same contractor came out. He took one look at it and found that it was a leak in the back. This claim was much easier. Everything was great. The contractor that we had was phenomenal. They diagnosed the issue pretty promptly. The tech came out pretty promptly. Given that we've had back-to-back claims within a four-week period, I'm on first-name basis now, so it was great to have somebody local. They've really worked with us and kind of given us a heads-up on everything.

With regards to the write-up of what 2-10 provides and what they can provide, it's pretty detailed. But there's so much info there. Instead of having in text where it's just page after page after page of numbered lists, it would be easier if there was just a chart that said what covered and not covered for plumbing issues and then it had a table. Having it in a matrix would be easier to identify once the problem is identified because 2-10 can't do anything without us knowing what the problem is. It would be awesome if they could visually put the information in a little bit better and readable way. But we're happy that we had the warranty because it's already paid itself. The experience itself has been great. It's a one year warranty and we have six months left but so far, so good. The dispatch has been great. They've been pretty prompt within business hours.

Original review: April 26, 2021

This company's internal departments do NOT communicate with each other and there is a lot of "my decision trumps yours" going on. Around June 2020, we had a leak that needed repaired. Field service agent (plumber) arrived and tells me he needs to cut a hole in our plaster (not drywall) wall. While on the phone with 2-10 agent, he assured me the wall will be repaired regardless of the situation of the leak. Did not find the leak with the first cut at the baseboard and had to cut a second larger hole just under the crown molding. Leak was determined to be "faulty install" and it would not covered under my policy. Paid the guy $100 service fee 2-10 requires and $300 to repair the leak.

Called 2-10 to find out when I can get plaster repaired and I am told "we do not have anyone in the Nashville area that can do plaster work". I asked the woman about finding someone myself and was told I could submit charges for reimbursement. Due to the pandemic, plaster guys were not going into the homes and we waited months to have this repaired. Mid-November/December 2020, we received a $75 check in the mail from 2-10 months later. Called as to what it was for and I am told it was to "help cover your drywall repair."

I had thought they may have discounted my $100 service fee and returned it. Explained to them drywall is not plaster, am told again "we have no one that can repair plaster, so accept this check to go toward plaster repair". We never cashed the check because I did not feel the amount of the check was appropriate for the work we paid for. Drywall could have been repaired for around $75-100. Plaster cost us over $600.

Received a call from 2-10 around February 2021 asking why we had not cashed the check and I explained to the individual that we did not have Drywall. She then checked with her supervisors and comes back offering me $400 cash out from my policy to cover the extra expenses since they did not even have a Plaster repair code to submit. Waited 3 weeks for the check, called 2-10 to find out its location and I am told it was denied because my policy did not have Drywall repair. Wasted almost 2 hours on the phone with a "supervisor" who passed me off to another "supervisor" denying my claim.

Why was I initially told by the plumber dispatched to my home that the holes would be repaired that he had to cut into to find the leak only to be told "we don't have anyone that can repair plaster in your area"? Shouldn't the individual who gave him this "go ahead" be held responsible? Who was the individual who promised me a "buy out" months later to cover our plaster repair expenses and how was she able to offer me that option only to be denies that option weeks later?

This company has completely lost my confidence in Home Warranty companies. I would certainly never recommend 2-10 Home Warranty to anyone and they can certainly count on my telling everyone I know about this experience. It seems easier to just repair breakdowns yourself and rely on those warranties that come with those repairs. There's numerous handy man services available. You can save yourself hours of wasted phone conversations, numerous times being placed on hold to "review your notes" and the mere frustration of dealing with individuals that don't even know the difference between drywall and plaster.

Original review: April 22, 2021

2-10 warranty is great for appliances but as far as the trade services you're left with not having much option for them to address an in network contractor. We have had 3 different contractors assigned to a leak in our kitchen and all came out multiple times until I located the leak and told them where it was. Now we have a leak in a bathroom. We contacted 2-10 going on almost a month ago. They scheduled to send out one of the previous contractors who tried to overcharge me for their services so I requested another contractor. 3+ weeks in and I've wasted approx 6.5 hours on the phone mostly on hold no way to email or contact them. So this is my review. Like I said the appliance service side I've had no issues with repairs and replacement but the contractor side I would not recommend.

Original review: April 16, 2021

These people have lied, changed their story, lied some more and then called a new service provider instead of listening to the people THEY HIRED all to get out of replacing our HVAC unit. The original company was offered $400 to put more refrigerant in our unit instead of replace it so they refused to do the work because it wouldn’t solve our problems instead of SCAM us like 2-10. I requested to speak to a supervisor, none available EVER and then was told I’m not entitled to receiving the information off my own account. SAVE YOUR MONEY. There are other options.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I am very disappointed with the lack of training that the 2-10 staff that answer the calls have. I waited on the phone for 1 hour and 2 minutes before I was able to get in touch with a representative named Michaela. This lady did not know how to do anything. 2-10 also automatically generates 1 particular appliance repair company by default, this particular company has horrific reviews and I don't think anyone would want such a company with that reputation in their home.

Ever since I realized 2-10 automatically populates this horrific company, I decided to manually call and wait long hold times to have a representative assist me with a good company within the network. I've had success with this method in the past, but today Michaela said she is not able to do this. Michaela did not know how to transfer me to another representative, or assist me with a supervisor to escalate this. There is inconsistency within the company, and I do not plan on renewing my services with such a company.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I have to comment on an issue I have found with 2-10. I had an A/C service request in Oct 2020 and my issue was resolved at that time. In April 2021, I am experiencing a similar issue with the same unit. In the 2-10 service request submission process, it asks if this is a similar issue. If you answer "yes," then they tie it back to the earlier request (i.e. that original contractor has to fix it). Well, that happened and they tied me back to the contractor that worked that first request. Now, I received no response from that contractor and attempted to reach out to them multiple times. I went back to 2-10 who also tried to contact them with no luck. After doing some research/checking on this company, I realized that they have gone out of business.

I went back to 2-10 with that information and basically got an "oh well." So my A/C unit will not get serviced and 2-10 does not appear to have back up contractors to work this issue. I asked to be routed to a higher level supervisor and I was denied that. I would never use 2-10 again and I cannot recommend them to any of my clients based on my personal experience.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information