Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available

Cons

• Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Bottom Line

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was al...

Verified

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear f...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which ranges from $85 to $125. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
    • Built-in microwave
    • Disposal
    • Trash compactor
    • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
    Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
    Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
    Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
    Limited roof leak$1,000/term
    Septic system$500/term
    Swimming pool$1,000/term
    Well pump$500/term
    Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
    Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
    *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
    2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
    3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
    4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I only gave 1 star because I had to. I have had a home warranty for many years. When we moved, we switched to 2-10 Home Warranty. Long story short - it takes them MONTHS to process a claim. You will hold for HOURS to speak with someone who is unable to give an update or help. Communication throughout the claim process is nonexistent. Website is not helpful at all. Escalations are ignored completely. They will offer pennies to fix or replace a unit leaving the consumer to pay for the warranty, the service call and out of pocket for the new unit.

This company is horrible. They do not follow through with what the policy states, customer service is terrible, and communication is a black hole. There is a serious reason why they have a 1-star rating here. I believe every single one of the reviews... As a customer I can tell you it is as bad as you are reading. Seriously, it is shocking that they are still in business. Senior leaders should all be fired for allowing business to be conducted in this way. NO INTEGRITY. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I have had to call the customer support line 5 times to reset my portal access and it is still not working. Every time you call you get a recording saying they are experiencing higher than normal calls. This is every time I've called in the past 5 years. Every year they also go up on the rates even if I have not made a claim.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Everything about this company is horrible. It's been 3 months since we issued a service call and they couldn't fix our fridge. I have called over 5 times and they promise to call back and never do. Finally they said they would give us a check for $350 because they can't fix our fridge even though our policy states $3,000. $350 doesn't help us at all with a broken fridge. They are a fraud company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Months after moving into our home we started having oven problems. 2-10 was contacted and they sent a repair person to diagnose/fix the problem. That didn't work and a part was ordered. I called and left messages to find out why it was taking so many weeks to get the part. Since the repair company failed to let me know what was happening, I had to contact 2-10 directly.

When the part was finally replaced it still didn't work. They ordered another part and after waiting weeks again, we were told that the part is no longer available. I was told that they would give me $185 toward a new oven. Since I had already paid $100 for the service fee, this offer was ridiculous. We then called our realtor and after many calls and demands, they paid us a total of a little over $900. In the contract, it states a replacement of up to $3000. They would not honor that. On our own, we had to buy a new oven and it was a lot more than the $900. Very disappointed with this company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Built in wall oven stopped working. They could not find the parts so they offered me a $600 buy out and suggested that I find the parts or replace the oven myself. Well the problem is if they can’t find the part they how would I? The replacement cost of the oven is over $3,000 ny including install and removal. So the very first time I use this company I come up $2,400 short. Bottom line: The warranty cost about $600 so if I would have just not had a warranty, I would be in the same place. Try American Home Shield. I had them for 16 years with no issues like this.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I called 2-10 Home Warranty and explained that I needed an expensive part, so I was transferred to "Claims" where I stayed on hold for two hours before hanging up. I believe once they found out the price of the part, they sent me to the graveyard of calls where nobody from 2-10 answers the phone and the customer doesn't get helped. Even though I had full home warranty coverage, I ended up paying for the part myself which is what I'm sure they wanted. 2-10 Home Warranty is worthless. They'll sign you up in a hurry, then abandon you.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

We bought our home NEW in December 2020. Within 6 months the plaster/stucco was cracking and falling off the foundation, so I filed a claim and it come back excluded. My workmanship warranty runs out in December 2021, so I filed a list of small complaints for workmanship and again for the plaster/stucco cracking and falling off. Everything is coming back excluded except for cabinet drawers not closing properly. What is the use of having a warranty that covers nothing? Especially when the damn stucco is falling off of it. The only reason we have this warranty is because it come in the buy of a new house from the builder. I don't have anything good to say about them either at this point. Request Number: **. Request Opened: 11/10/2021

Warranty Effective Date: 12/18/2020 Item Details Date Added Status Item Details
      1 Finishes: Caulking in both bathrooms, several paint spots that need touched up, outside skim coat on on foundation is falling off 11/9/2021 Excluded Details
      2 Cabinets and Vanities: some cabinet drawers not closing with the self closing mechanism. one drawer is not lined up properly 11/9/2021 Reported Details
      3 Foundation and Concrete: skim coat on foundation is cracking and falling off 11/9/2021 Excluded Details
      4 Electrical Components: light fixtures in master bath have rust on them 11/9/2021 Excluded Details

5 Carpentry and Framing: right hand swing door was used in master closet. Either the wrong door was used or the light switch was put on the wrong side. We shouldn't have to close the closet door to turn the lights on/off 11/9/2021 Excluded Details

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Builder of our home purchased a 2-10 New Home Warranty as part of the original purchase contract of our home. We filed a claim with 2-10 for various repairs around construction and workmanship. It took legal counsel to compel them to even respond 6 months later. It is now over a year and they still have not performed on any of the repairs. Additionally they have stopped all correspondence. 2-10 NEW HOME WARRANTY IS ABSOLUTELY USELESS AND NOT A WARRANTY.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Shortly after moving into my home I had a water leak that was causing the ceiling in my garage to fall down. I called on Friday and they told me they would have someone there by early the next week. Obviously I couldn't wait and they wouldn't allow me to seek my own help. I called a local plumber and they came the same day and fixed the problem which was behind the drywall in my laundry room.

I had a similar situation with a toilet leak. The ceiling in my Rec room was dripping water and messing up the ceiling. I called, they said a couple of days for a service call. Fortunately I'm handy enough to see the toilet problem and shut off the toilet. This took weeks for resolution. Finally my range had problems with the igniters continuing to click when the burners were lit and the oven was running 50 degrees too hot. I called 2-10 and they sent out a repairman who located the problems but couldn't obtain the parts. He said 2-10 would buy a new unit for me.

After many weeks of delays and my many follow ups I was told that their purchasing guy decided my range was a professional unit so it wasn't covered. I have received no explanation of what a professional range is. They won't return my emails and to my surprise I discovered my claim was marked closed. They did have the one toilet rebuilt and a snake job on another toilet but that took too long.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

Updated on 11/16/2021: Microwave/Convection oven broke 8-19-21. 2-10 dispatched A&E (Sears) to repair. Parts not available so after nearly 2 months parts finally arrived. A&E fixed microwave. Microwave breaks 2 days later. Reschedule A&E again (through 2-10) for 11-16-21. On day of appt., A&E informs me that there was a service call fee of $249. I informed them that this was through warranty company 2-10 and that it was to fix their work from before. Nothing they can do as it wasn't submitted correctly through 2-10. Now I have to start over and try to get 2-10 to reschedule appointment. This usually takes weeks. So if new parts are needed and I have to wait another 2-3 months for repair, then this is not good. I am now looking at 6 months to repair microwave.

Updated on 11/03/2021: I provided an earlier review about 1 week ago on the horrible experience with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. I am writing today to update my experience. As of my last review, my HVAC system, which broke on Oct. 3, 2021, was waiting on a part to be delivered with an ETA of 10/26/21 to my assigned contractor. It never arrived. I received another notice claiming the part was now scheduled to arrive at my assigned contractor on 11/2/21. It never arrived. Of course the only way to find this out is many many calls. My assigned contractor does not answer their phone or return messages and 2-10 keeps you on hold forever (currently on hold for over 1 hour). 2-10 customer service reps always promise resolution but give you nothing but a promise of 1 more week.

Then you try to escalate to "purchasing department" and they give you the same empty promises. Then you ask to elevate to a supervisor and they can only call you back but never do. You escalate the situation online in the 2-10 web portal and the Escalation Department promises callbacks in 2-3 days, but of course no one ever calls, or if they do it a customer service representative again. And so the process goes on with the customer spinning his wheels wasting time with no resolve. Use your common sense if you choose a Home Warranty company and be realistic with your expectations. My realtor has offered to write a blog in my area Association of Realtors newsletter sharing this experience in reference to home warranties. It's not all bad, but this experience has been the worst.

Original Review: I've been with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty since I purchased my home several years ago. Until recently we had only an occasional minor issue. Of course I pay them handsomely every month for this service. However, in August 2021 our convection oven/microwave went caput. 2-10 dispatched a repair technician (that took a couple weeks until they arrived) who diagnosed that 3 parts were needed to repair. On September 9 the service company ordered the parts. I did some prior research and knew that there was an issue with parts for this item.

A few days later I received communication stating that the parts were delayed. Knowing that there was an issue getting parts, I asked how long until we could look at other options and they said 21 business days. As of a few days ago (October 7), the service provider determined that parts were unavailable (go figure). They uploaded this news to 2-10 for resolution. 2-10 has not provided any follow up to me and every time I call them (and wait on hold for ever) they state that they are still searching for parts and offer me a small cash out option to replace the unit myself. Keep in mind that we have been without our built-in convection oven/microwave since the middle of August.

Based upon my research, their cash out option is about 1/2 of the actual cost to replace. In order for me to get resolution, 2-10 would like me to not only provide a significant amount of cash out of pocket to replace what should be covered in full under my warranty plus continue paying them $75 a month for their service plus pay the service technician fee of $100. I told 2-10 I do not want a cash out option at half the replacement cost. As of one of my recent conversations (October 11), they are still looking into options.

Based upon this experience, I'm not quite sure what I am paying for with 2-10 home warranty. The item broke and parts are not available. Should I have to wait 6 months or 9 months for the parts? No one at 2-10 is able to provide me with a timeline on parts or if they are going to replace the appliance as they need 7 additional business days to review (tick tock tick tock - remember that I had to wait 21 business days to get the parts that never arrived). I suppose situations happen but just imagine if you were a 2-10 home warranty customer and in the heat of the summer your refrigerator or air conditioner went caput.

Nearly 2 months later and still no resolution. This is definitely not a seamless process. Lots of calls made to the service provider and to 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. Nearly 2 months of this and still no resolution. Very disappointed. Microwave finally fixed 10-27-21, nearly 2 ½ months later and hours and hours of telephone calls and stress.

I decided to add this to my complaint with 2-10 Home Warranty. While I was waiting on resolution on microwave, my central a/c unit broke. The a/c is only 5 years old so even though I found this unusual, I thought fixing a broken part in a newer a/c unit should be easy. Was I wrong. I've spoken and texted my contractor on over 15 occasions and called and spoken with 2-10 Warranty even more and we seem to be spinning our wheels with no resolve or follow through here too.

To begin, the temperature has been in the mid-80's and my wife and I and our animals are feeling the heat. As with the microwave situation, I escalated the claim because neither the a/c vendor nor 2-10 Home Warranty seems to know what’s going on. My contractor, Atlantis Heating & Air said she has spoken with 2-10 several times and claims that 2-10 promised to have escalated the claim. The last promise was that the part (s) were to be "overnighted." That was at least 1 week ago. No confirmation on this from 2-10 as every time I call 2-10 to confirm or to get an update, there seems to be no or very little communications documented in their system regarding conversations with my contractor or a status update.

The latest conversation with 2-10 had them saying a new contractor had to be called because the other one quit. Every call to 2-10 is like starting over and every 2-10 rep promises action. I've also spoken with the 2-10 Purchasing Department and receive big promises with the same lack of follow through or resolve. When I ask 2-10 Home Warranty to transfer me to a supervisor I always get the answer that they are not available, but they promise a call-back within a couple hours. Of course, this never happens.

2-10 Home Warranty has fallen to bad home warranty company. Unfortunately, they charge higher rates than the others but provide equal or lower service than the much less expensive companies. Do yourself a favor and pay less for the same crappy service with someone else. Still no a/c repair and we are approaching 1 month since I called 2-10 home warranty. God forbid you have these issues with 2-10 home warranty in the heat of the summer.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information