2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

American Home Shield

American Home Shield Reviews

View Plan

About 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available
    Cons
    • Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Orange Park, FL

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was al...

Verified
    Cornelius, NC

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear f...

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which ranges from $85 to $125. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
    • Built-in microwave
    • Disposal
    • Trash compactor
    • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
    Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
    Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
    Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
    Limited roof leak$1,000/term
    Septic system$500/term
    Swimming pool$1,000/term
    Well pump$500/term
    Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
    Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
    *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
    2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
    3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
    4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Stars Rating

• 2%
    • 0%
    • 0%
    • 3%
    • 95%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?
      Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTechPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 3, 2024

I been dealing with my AC unit for 2 weeks and still no fix. At first, the ac unit would not shut off, call in a claim, got a tech out, he clean and refilled with freon. That same day the breaker tripped so I called back to get a tech out. From that point on the unit would run 30mins and the breaker would trip. I made a new claim to have the electrical box checked. Never got a call from the contractor for an appointment so I called back and was told the contractor refused the claim and they had no one in my area to fix the tripping breaker and that I could have an electrician come out myself to check the breaker so I did just that.

Electrician found no problem with the break and suggested that it was the compressor. I've spent out $400 and still no fix. My kids are displaced and I have a disable mother that has no mobility. It's very hot in Arkansas this time of the year and I really need help. I pay my warranty on time every month and for the life of me don't understand why I can get help to resolve this major problem. I'm at my breaking point with this 2 10 company, please help me.

Customer Service

Reviewed July 2, 2024

Pleased with turnaround time on payments. Almost impossible to reach a person in customer service. Most communication is through their customer portal which severely restricts reaching a customer service person. One of the most difficult customer service systems I have dealt with.

Pinned

Hi Steven, thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your patience, and we will do our best to make sure that you have a more positive experience next time. Thanks again for your feedback and thank you for being the best part of 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Resolution In Progress

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Claims HandlingTech

Reviewed July 2, 2024

If I could give a zero I would. Whomever is approving the claims need to be fired. I have been without air for 3 weeks. They have sent the same contractor twice and the 1st time they came they told 2-10 I needed a part to get my unit to work but 2-10 sent them again to see they could fix it without the part. Did I mentioned this is a new unit 2-10 had installed and it's only 4 months old?

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingTechPriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 1, 2024

Right upfront. We give the representatives we’ve talked to in the customer claims department 5 stars. They are doing an impossible job. The rest of the company gets an 1 because there is no lower rating allowed. Our AC stopped working 5 days ago. A local HVAC vendor was rapidly dispatched, and he made a diagnosis. He said he provided all the info to the 2-10 parts procurement department in order to get the part in 3-5 business days. Three different claims reps told us he didn’t, and gave us three different lists of necessary info to get the part ordered. Vendor didn’t return our calls. His voice mailbox is full. No progress over the weekend. Fourth of July coming up. We call the company that does our regular maintenance. This morning, they are here. They quickly diagnosed the problem — THE VENDOR HAD IT ALL WRONG. The very pricey part he wanted to replace had nothing to do with the problem.

Now to the hassle we are encountering with getting authorization to submit a reimbursement claim. I won’t go into detail other than to say the company appears to make the process as difficult as possible for customers to:

1. Receive quality and TIMELY service from its contracted vendors and parts procurement dept.

2. Be reimbursed for the headache of having to deal with an unqualified vendor. We are out $125 for a wrong diagnosis, as well as the hours of sleep because of a hot house. We still don’t know how much 2-10 will reimburse us for getting qualified HVAC technicians to do the job right. My guess? A big fat zero.

CoverageTech

Reviewed June 28, 2024

Was a customer for 8 years. Monthly fee increased each year. Watch out for the clause that if damage in an appliance is caused by an uncovered component they will not cover the repair. For example, the tech believes a leak in my washer soap dispenser caused damage to the rest of my washer so they would not cover the repairs because the soap dispenser is an uncovered component. I cancelled my service that day.

Pinned

Hi Seth, we are sorry to hear how you feel but we appreciate your feedback. If you feel we have made an error in handling your claims, please give us a call so we can resolve it. Thank you again for your feedback and thank you for being a part of 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

CoverageTech

Reviewed June 26, 2024

I had my water heater explode and leaking on father's day. 2-10 was closed so I called a contractor to come and shut off the water and get a new tank. I notified 2-10 and had work completed. They first told me it was not covered because I did not go through them so I was going to cancel them. They agreed to have contractor send over the bill for them to look at. It was 1050 for emergency visit as well as replacement. They said they would only cover 520, they don't pay for emergency visits. Now they say I have to pay the contractor first before they will pay anything. I have been sitting on hold for 2 hours waiting to speak to someone and No one seems to help. Don't waste your money. I am sure other companies are more geared to customer satisfaction. I have had this coverage for 6 years and this is the first issue. I will be looking for another company.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageTechPriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed June 21, 2024

2-10 HBW will do or say just about anything to DENY your claim; when they DO pay out, you can expect them to nickel and dime you to death! They do NOT have many "in-network" providers; instead they "authorize" you, the homeowner, to find someone local to do the repairs; then they pay a tiny portion of the actual cost. It took us a week or more (with no use of our kitchen sink) before we found a plumber to diagnose and repair our garbage disposal. We called for authorization (which in my 20 year history of dealing with this company, was routinely given to the contractor at the time of the repair). The reps said, I will call you back. But she did NOT call back; not for a few days.

First thing out of her mouth, she asked me if the work had been done. I answered her truthfully. Yes! And she denied the claim for the reason, I did not obtain an authorization. This company is UNFAIR and DECEPTIVE. We paid over $1000 for coverage for the 2023-2024 year. I will be filing a complaint with the MA attorney general's office; under the consumer protection statute 93A. I told my husband last year, we should not renew; the time, aggravation, wasting time on hold, it's just not worth it. This is NOT the same warranty company it was in 2004 when our real estate agent gifted the coverage to us; we were first time homebuyers.

Resolution In Progress
        Profile pic of the author.
        Customer ServiceTechRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed June 19, 2024

If I could give zero stars I would. Our AC went out Sunday night. I called and the after hour voicemail said in an emergency they should with a reimbursement of $250. I called and got someone out here. The unit was completely out of Freon and fried. It needs to be replaced. It's June in Georgia and our house was 87 degrees. I've got a special needs five year old that is current immobile due to a cast. The techs we called got on the phone with the warranty company and told her there was nothing they could do to fix it. It has to be replaced, but they could do it that day. In total I was on hold for THREE HOURS waiting for her to get authorization just for her to let us know that they would not authorize a new unit. If the tech could fix it, they would only reimburse us $500 for a $4500 repair.

Otherwise, we could wait an additional three days for their tech to come out and rediagnose the problem. Meanwhile, it was 97 degrees yesterday and 93 today. The technician they called refused the service call. The next tech was supposed to be here four hours ago and then called to say he couldn't get here until tomorrow. And I hung up after waiting on hold for over an hour. Our warranty has been paid up until June of next year and I have never been so disgusted with the cruelty this warranty company has shown us. They are terrible, rude, their customer service is appalling. It's borderline legal action. Good luck getting anyone to answer the phone, let alone call you back. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Resolution In Progress
        Profile pic of the author.
        Claims HandlingCoverageTech

Reviewed June 18, 2024

Please do not consider this company if you value fair treatment when something breaks down. I purchased a home with older but functioning appliances and HVAC, seeking protection through a 2-10 Supreme warranty for any potential issues in the first year. Trusting my realtor's recommendation, I believed this was a reputable company.

After a month of functioning AC, it stopped cooling, prompting me to file a claim. From the start, the experience was abysmal. I filed the claim on 6/4, but it took seven days for a contractor to arrive, leaving us in sweltering conditions with a child and two pets, with indoor temperatures reaching 89 degrees. The first contractor diagnosed general wear and tear, recommending replacement as repair would be more costly. Despite this, 2-10 claimed not to have received the diagnostics and sent another company, which confirmed the initial findings.

Yet, my claim was denied, labeled as a pre-existing condition despite both diagnostics indicating otherwise. After two weeks without AC, I filed a dispute with proof from my home inspection showing the AC was satisfactory at purchase. However, 2-10 persisted in their denial, claiming the unit needed replacement before I moved in, contradicting their warranty's purpose.

Warranties are meant to protect against unforeseen breakdowns, not perfect systems. We rely on warranties because no one can afford to preemptively replace functioning appliances. My experience revealed that 2-10 will do anything to avoid honoring claims, contradicting their coverage of general wear and tear. Their refusal undermines the very essence of a warranty. I share this to spare others from this nightmare. Do not trust this company to protect you. Seek a reliable alternative. We are still suffering in the heat, hoping to find the funds to repair our AC before July.

Pinned

Hi Kristy, I'm getting this over to someone who can help. You should receive a call by end of business day tomorrow.

Scott

Kristy, thanks for the heads up and sorry for your problems with these people over 6,000 reviews has netted them a 1 rating.
        Can you say “class action”?

Customer Service

Reviewed June 10, 2024

I have tried calling this company for 2 days. I am on hold right now for 35 minutes. I tried for a call back and never got it. I cannot believe they have no one on the phone some customer service! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Pinned

Hi Marian, we apologize for the delay. We are temporarily experiencing longer than normal hold times. We continue to work as hard as we can to assist all our customers as quickly as possible. Please visit our portal at 2-10.com/sign-in/ to explore all of the self-service options available. If you need to speak with our teams, please continue to hold for the next available agent as this is the fastest way to receive support. We appreciate your patience as we work through this temporary situation and look forward to resolving any issues you're experiencing in your home.

Quick and easy. Find a home warranty partner now.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information

13900 E. Harvard Avenue
          Aurora
          CO
          www.2-10.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: