1.0/5 (42 ratings)
Availability
29 states

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available

Cons

• Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Bottom Line

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was al...

Verified

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear f...

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which ranges from $85 to $125. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
    • Built-in microwave
    • Disposal
    • Trash compactor
    • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
    Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
    Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
    Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
    Limited roof leak$1,000/term
    Septic system$500/term
    Swimming pool$1,000/term
    Well pump$500/term
    Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
    Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
    *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
    2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
    3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
    4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

During Covid, we had an HVAC emergency. We were 68 at the time, and had survived Covid. Not realizing that we still had coverage, we had to replace an AC unit at a cost of $8,200.00. About a month later, we started getting pressure to renew our coverage. At that time, we realized that our coverage had not lapsed yet. Because we had not gotten prior authorization for the repair, 2-10 said too bad, so sad. They strung us along for weeks before they denied our claim.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Bluff: DO NOT USE 2-10, THEY ARE THE WORST!! Long rant… Our 10-year-old refrigerator broke down on August 26, 2022. 2-10 sent a service appliance agent to try to fix it. He discovered that the control board was bad and upon research, he said Samsung no longer manufactured the part and advised 2-10 that we needed a new refrigerator. I received a call about a week later from 2-10 saying that they were going to send an email with refrigerator options or a cash buyout option. I told them to please hurry since my husband was deployed and I had an 8-month-old baby and need the fridge urgently.

I didn't receive the email, and I was going to be out of town for a few weeks, so I called 2-10 to follow up and they said to contact the service appliance company because they had ordered the part (which we thought was no longer manufactured). I contacted the service appliance agent, and he said that 2-10 somehow had found the part, but they didn't know when or if they would ever be going to receive it. I went ahead and scheduled a day for them to come out after returning from my trip in case they received the part while I was out. They received the part, so the agent came out on October 17, but the part was the wrong one. The agent said that 2-10 had ordered the part off eBay. Once more, he submitted the report saying that Samsung no longer had the part and that we needed a new fridge.

My husband tried to call 2-10 several times from where he was deployed, and they never answered (2-10 office hours). He escalated the ticket on the 2-10 website, and, after returning from deployment, he finally got an email on Oct 21 with refrigerator options from Lowe's, as well as a cash buyout option. The cash buyout was only for $1,100 and the cheapest equivalent refrigerator was $1800, so we selected a refrigerator from their options. 2-10 said that we would be getting delivery around November 10. But, on October 28, Lowe's called and said that the refrigerator that 2-10 ordered is discontinued and that they didn't understand why 2-10 they did this. I told my husband that it seems 2-10 did it on purpose to force us to take the buyout option.

Once again, my husband escalated the ticket on the website. Within minutes, he received an email from 2-10 cancelling the Lowe’s order. Today is Nov 2nd, and he just received a call from 2-10 trying to convince him to take the cash buyout option. It has been over 2 months and we still don’t have a refrigerator. Our life has been miserable, and with a now 10-month-old baby, living off a cooler. We just don’t know what else to do for them to get us a new refrigerator. Just do yourself a favor and stay AWAY from 2-10!!!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

When I purchased my house, it was covered by this company, so I've used it ever since and they repaired a dishwasher. But in the last 2 years, the company has gone straight downhill. It now takes over 2 hours on hold to talk to a customer service rep. This is not an exaggeration. 9/10 of their reps are lazy, unhelpful and barely capable of servicing the account. The vendors they now use don't show up and do the absolutely minimum to repair the appliance. Which means you have to get on hold for another 2 hours to speak to a rep to get them to send someone else out. I've spent more time on hold and trying to fix my dryer than it would cost to just buy a new dryer. This company is an abomination in every sense of the word. This endless string of 1 star reviews is testament to it. I pray for the day when this company goes out of business. I'm switching as soon as my contract is up.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

We have water heater leak problem, water heater situated in attic, they took two week to dispatch the service, after multiple follow up, here is work order # Work Order Number: **, if someone wants to pull up info for verification.. And after the service person - AAA SERVICES (682) 518-1451 came they diagnose the problem and submit to 2-10 HBW, they called me to pay $500 non-covered charges and later this amount changes to $1000 as they push all the non-covered charges over to me. This is unfair and I never recommend anyone to buy the 2-10 HBW.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I purchased this warranty in August of 2021 when I purchased a beach house in NC. I have filed 1 claim for water damage and 1 claim for appliance issue. Both were denied. This warranty program is a waste of money. I would not recommend it to any potential customers. Local support person was very responsive but claims were denied by corporate. I am going to tell the real estate agent that recommend them to stop doing so.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I normally do not complain much but this company is horrible at resolutions. My wife and I had a long term renter in our rental property for 2 years. Towards the last few months of the tenants stay, the Air Conditioner started malfunctioning. 2-10 Warranty was able to get a tech to the location about 2 times. The 3rd time, the technician stated we needed a new AC. The tech removed the old AC and but needed parts to install the new AC. This was 2 months ago. Due to the back & forth with the Techs & 2-10, our tenant moved out and now the house has been vacant. I am currently on hold (30 mins and counting) because each time we call they tell us they have to find out case although we give them the number. We can not move any tenants into our home so we have been at a loss for sometime now. You would do better off using another company or applying for service/warranty with an actual AC service. I plan to leave a review each day until this AC is fixed.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Our Maytag icemaker was difficult for the repair co. to fix. After several replacement icemakers were installed, 2-10 decided that our icemaker was covered under a "premium" policy, which we don't have - this policy came with the house when we bought it. So now we don't have an icemaker unless we pay for the repairs ourselves. Whoever heard of changing a contract in mid-term? Do not use these people, they are a scam.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Incompetent is not enough to describe this company. They are CRIMINAL. Do not hire them. They do not care about your well-being, even if it's a matter of health and safety. This is coming from the CEO, Scott Cromie.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I have had 2-10 going on about 6 years. Several weeks ago my a/c went out. I called an A/C contractor to come out and look at my system. He came out that day so no waiting like I would have had to with the 2-10 CONTRACTORS. I was told by the A/C contractor my entire system needed to be replaced due to a leak and the age of the system which is understandable since the unit is the original in my home which was built in 1998. The contractor called 2-10 and gave them the information they needed. They approved the repair. They then called me and told me they would only cover $2214.16 of the $6000.00 repair cost. After several phone calls with 2-10 they said that's the best they can do. Not even coming up to the allowed $3000.00 they claim to cover in the policy per service call. After this incident I am going to cancel this policy. I don't feel it's worth it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

First time home buyer, had a plumbing problem. They sent out Youngs Water and Sewer and this was a big mistake. They are scam a artist, got me and my insurance company. I have called the warranty company MANY times to dispute the company and to figure out what to do next as I haven't been able to shower in my own house for 3 months now. Every time I wait on hold for a minimum of 2 hours and the end results are always the same. They say they talked to their supervisor and they're reviewing my case, then they transfer me to claims management, which you'll be waiting on hold even longer for, and I "submit a claim" for them to investigate the company.

The amount of times I've done this is ridiculous, and not only will they just give you bull, they also don't listen. They would "accidentally" send requests for the same plumber to come back out to my house when I've stated they they are not allowed to even contact me unless it's through my lawyer. Do NOT use this company they will just drag you around and honestly just not cover anything anyways. I wish I could get a refund. Worst experience ever as a first time home buyer at 22 years old.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information

13900 E. Harvard Avenue
        Aurora
        CO
        www.2-10.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: