Call toll free
2.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty provides homeowners financial protection, knowing the unexpected may be expensive. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

As an accredited home warranty company by the Better Business Bureau, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 5.8 million homes over 38 years.

"LONG LIVE HAPPY HOMES®" says it all.

ABBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty provides service to homeowners in Texas. Customers like that the company provides a 1-year workmanship warranty and two years of distribution services coverage. The company's network includes more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. Consumers can manage their account from an online homeowner portal.

PROS

• Fast response from contractors
  • Easy to submit claims online or via phone
  • Professional, friendly customer service
  • Contractors troubleshoot to solve problems
  • Representatives keep consumers fully informed throughout the process

CONS

• Some customers experience delayed response times
  • Contractor qualifications and experience can vary

2014 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had a year of 2-10 coverage included in the house that I bought, and then I put the same coverage on three more properties that I have out there. I would sometimes call 2-10 to submit claims or just do it online. Both ways have been reasonable and user-friendly. If it’s on the weekend, most of the time, I would just do it online. When I call on the phone, they’re very responsive. I could email, follow-up, or if I do it online, it’s pretty easy.

All of the contractors that they've sent out were very good. We had one most recently for our refrigerator, and it was problematic. But for the most part, the contractors that came out usually resolved issues the first time around. 2-10’s coverage is good as long as the premium could stay relatively competitive. I have four houses in Arizona, all covered by 2-10, and I’m paying a good amount of money for premium. I was contacted by another warranty company trying to get the business. I’m up for renewal in March and I have to do some homework on them but thus far, I would continue using 2-10 on the four houses. It’s definitely good.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Trust me, words cannot describe how upset I have been with this company. I never write reviews and I tend to keep my opinions to myself. In hope of helping others here we go. For all the money I pay this company for protection, when something breaks, they send out the slowest and clueless contractors I have ever seen. It took 3 months for me to get my AC fixed. I live in Texas and I had to finally find my own contractor pay out of pocket and then wait for a check from them. My fridge went out and it took a 9 days for a contractor to come out. 9 days is way too long to wait for a service contractor. They need to expand their contractor pool but they can't because everyone I spoke to told me that they won't work with this company because they have poor practices. Stay away from this company. I just switched my warranty.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Dee. We apologize for the delays you faced regarding these recent claims. We wish we could have corrected this experience and we hope to use your feedback to improve our services moving forward. If you need any further support, please send us a message with your property address and/or work order number and our escalation team would be happy to assist you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Simple repair to microwave is needed. 3 days wait callback "no service tech in locale, find my own". 3 found in my area "refuse to work with 2-10". Reasons: 1. 2-10 only pays what 2-10 "price-guide" wants. 2. 2-10 "still owes them money and refuses. 3. Wait time 25 minutes for 2-10 to answer phone. Offered me $100 to close work-order. Repair would be 100's more. Morale for Buyers: Don't let your realtor suggest home warranties. Have the seller give you concessions or to repair punch-list items themselves.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Dan. We appreciate your feedback. We are alarmed to read that the contractors in your region said these things about our services. We will do our best to look into these claims and see if we can resolve some of the contentions between us and the service providers in your region.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Initiated my claim in October for my HVAC, no working heat. Took two weeks to get the contractor to show up. He came and said he didn't know how to fix it. Nov 9th second contractor was sent who didn't even check the heating system and said it was plumbing. November 12th plumber came, tested the system and said nothing wrong with plumbing its HVAC. Received call on the 13th from April who said it would get fixed and new HVAC contractor was coming 15th. Contractor showed up on the 15th, tested the system and said pump was bad. Called 2-10 on the 19th to see what the next step was and they said they were never contacted by the contractor. They contacted him and were told a part was being ordered. 2-10 ordered the part which arrived on the 30th.

Called 2-10 on 12/3 to follow up and was directed to call the contractor. Called them and they scheduled for 12/5, which nobody showed up for. They showed up on 12/6 replaced the pump and said it was fixed although it wasn’t. On 12/7 informed 2-10 that the heat still wasn’t working. Informed them that the contractor wouldn’t come back out. They called the contractor and the 2-10 rep said they were told it was a plumbing issue. 2-10 rep said they couldn't find anyone else to look at it and I need to get my own contractor and pay out of pocket and they would reimburse the amount their contractors would have charged if approved.

Spoke to Devin, purchasing department who said they would not do anything else until my contractor gave them a diagnosis. Asked if I could just be cashed out so I could replace the heating system and she said no because the contractors say they don’t know how to fix it not that it's unfixable. They sent 5 separate contractors, none of which knew what the problem was, everyone had a different diagnosis, and I've been without heat all winter with 4 kids. 2-10 was paid in full at the purchase of my home. I don't understand why I'm having to pay out of pocket if I have a warranty that is supposed to cover my repairs? What's the point in the warranty?

Every time I speak to someone I have to explain my situation, there is no continuity. There is no resolution. The representatives are not knowledgeable of the issues. Today inessential told that they couldn't find my case, my two month long unresolved case. The manager had no resolution. I asked for them to send another plumber and now they are saying the contractor said it's not plumbing. They just don't know how to fix it. This is the most unhelpful company I have ever dealt with. Total waste of money. I just want heat for my kids when its 30 degrees outside.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings. It sounds like you have had a very frustrating claim experience thus far. We are concerned to read that you had a difficult time getting assistance from our staff members. Your feedback will be escalated and we will try our best to expedite a solution for you. Thank you for the review.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I arrived home this evening with my toddler and infant to find that our furnace isn't working. It is 26 degrees outside. According to 2-10, this does not constitute an emergency and the assigned contractor has 24 hours to contact me and 3-5 days to perform service. Additionally, they assigned a contractor outside of the service area. Thankfully he responded to my call and I was able to call 2-10 back (terrible user experience) to have them reassign a contractor, or we could have added a day to the timeline. I will strongly recommend that our realtor never recommend this company again!

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there J G. We apologize if our emergency policy was not applicable to you and your family's current heating issue. We have certain guidelines we must follow when constituting what is and what is not an emergency. We would, however, be more than willing to escalate your claim to try and expedite a solution for you. Someone from our team will give you a call tomorrow to make sure that this is moving quickly for you. Thank you for feedback and we will be in touch soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

NOT HAPPY! I didn't write a review the first time I had a bad experience, so I apologize to all those people that make purchase decisions based off reviews. My first experience with 2-10 was when I attempted to do my once a year tune-up. It took three attempts and a week of time to be told to find someone myself. Now they are giving me a hard time about the reimbursement of a whopping $35.89.

Now, just over a month later, my furnace has stopped working. So I called up 2-10 because you people do not want to go through the website, trust me. I told Sandra (a 2-10 representative) about my first experience, AKA work order **. I was then told that she had no authorization number. Whatever, at this point I will just eat the $35.89.

As far as my current issue, two hours after my conversation with Sandra, I still have not heard from the repair person. I still have no heat. But what can I expect? Sandra did tell me that my state is not in a "state of emergency", even though my town's mayor and NC's governor Roy Cooper say otherwise, but hey, why would 16 inches of snow and 14 degree weather make anyone think "heat" would be important? On a personal note, I never knew a toilet seat could be so cold... in laws, we are packing up for a visit now.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Eric. We are concerned to read about the amount of time this claim has taken to complete as well as some of your interactions with our staff. Your review will be escalated and someone from our team will contact you soon to discuss how we can assist you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am so pleased my real estate agent recommended 2-10 Home Warranty Services. After owning my home for two months, I have required their services twice. Both issues resolved quickly and professionally. Highly recommend for all homeowners.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Laraine. We are elated to hear that you enjoy our services and recommend our product to all homeowners. Thank you for the review and the support!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I’m a Realtor and I recommended 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty to Joshua when I sold him his house years ago. He got the warranty but we both file the claims. I usually do it by phone, and my experience has been good. They normally dispatch within 24 hours, but we don’t hear anything from the vendor for about 48 hours or longer as the vendors are busy. We’ve had to contact 2-10 back to have them reach out again a couple of times on a couple of vendors. A couple of times, we had to change vendors because they never reached out and 2-10 was pretty flexible with that. The technicians that came out were always professional.

The problem I have with 2-10 is some of the vendors that they use are not being prompt. There is one other thing I need to make a comment on and it’s not just 2-10, it seems to be the makeup of home warranty companies. They wanna get three and four opinions after they have gotten two to say that something needs to be replaced. They seem to stretch it out longer. I have another client that has 2-10 and she ended up waiting almost four months to get a refrigerator. That wasn’t working. So, that put her in a financial pinch by having to purchase food every day ‘cause she couldn’t refrigerate. Joshua went through that too on one of his claims on some plumbing work. It’s a little ridiculous when clients are paying a fee every month to make them have to wait to get three or four opinions when 2-10 has already gotten two opinions that say the same thing. It’s a waste of time when it could be getting fixed.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My wife called 2-10, explained what our claim was, and then they told her the charges involved in it. The two technicians came out to do what they were supposed to do, and they were very amicable. They broke down a couple of things that helped us find a couple of random things around the house that we didn't know about but we're aware now. So it was good and everything was fine.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The reps at 2-10 are pretty good and prompt in sending out people whenever I call in a claim. The technicians have been pretty good as well and they resolved all the issues. I'd recommend 2-10.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

We are delighted to read that you would recommend our services, Altrus. Thank you for the support!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I attempted to make a new service request via the 2-10 HBW portal and it kept giving me an error. I called the customer service number at 800-775-4736 and they informed me that there was nothing they can do and had to be referred to the New Construction Department for service which is only opened Monday - Friday during daytime hours. If this is correct, it is a big problem. What happens if I have to place a new service request on a leaking water heater or worse on a Friday night and have to wait until Monday morning when the New Construction Department office is opened for a service request? I asked for someone to call me on Monday in hope to resolve this issue. I have to know I can make emergency service calls 7 days a week; 24 hours a day. Absolutely not just Monday through Friday during normal working hours.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Elias. Thank you for the review. We apologize for the issues you have faced trying to set up a service request. We are going to escalate your feedback now and try to get this started for you. We will be in touch soon.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Although some of the techs are very good, I looked up a contractor once and it had a bad reputation so I canceled altogether and paid for the repair myself. Another contractor has been somewhat disinterested in dealing with the problem and pushing the work back on to me. Another thing is that when I submitted a service request online and the contract renewed, I no longer had access to the service request and I could only deal with it over the phone. I also have a claim in for my microwave that died. 2-10 offered a monetary value to replace it and it doesn’t even cover the cost of the trim, never mind the microwave. Read through the policy properly.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We’ve only been in the house for a couple of months and I've had a lot of issues, but 2-10 has been very nice to work with. My realtor highly recommended them and the technicians have done the job they were supposed to come out and do. The majority of the people I talk with at 2-10 are very nice, considerate and supportive. I've had one lady who was a real pain in the butt and I was not happy with her but I let that go because of everybody else. If she were a technician, I would have thrown her out of my house and called 2-10 immediately. All in all, we’ve had such a good rapport with 2-10 for two and a half months and many times I’ve had to call them for some issues in the house. I talked to one or two men but for the most part, it’s been women and they’ve all been wonderful to work with. They’re very pleasant too.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We had 2-10 home warranty when we first bought our house and enjoyed our experience. We then, decided to try another company and quickly realized that they weren't as good as 2-10. I recommend 2-10 to my friends because they are the best.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the review Ann! We are thrilled to read that you have enjoyed our services and have recommended us to your friends. Your continued support is cherished by our staff.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Submitting claims with 2-10 has been easy. I did two claims. One was online, and then I did the other one over the phone. The first one was for electrical, and I don't think the person who came out had much experience with the electrical outlet. But the second claim was for the garage, and my interaction with the person who came out was good. He did a good job, too.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Augustine. Thank you for the review! We are excited to read that your clams have been a positive experience and easy to set up. We appreciate your continued support.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I had a hot water issue and I called 2-10 Home Buyers to submit a claim. Their representative was very informative and very helpful. But the person that they had to send out to do the service, Drain Openers in Winston Salem, was not a good service. The only thing he did was to come in and look at the hot water heater. He told me that he couldn’t do it because the hot water heater was too large and he would have an access problem. But when I went and measured the water heater, it was a perfect fit. So, that was the only thing he did and charged he me $100.

After that, I contacted 2-10 again because I was trying to determine whether or not they were going to honor the warranty and they did. But they contracted with him to do it and he said that he wouldn't pick up the heater or the equipment. He said that the equipment needed to be delivered to him. So, working with him and working with the company took about three or four weeks before I got my issue resolved. I went back and forth with them and the length of time that it took me to get it resolved was a bad experience.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Linda. Your feedback was escalated and someone from our company has called you several times with no response. We would like to offer our assistance but we cannot get a hold of you. If you are interested in having us help you, please give us a call back or send us a message here.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We moved in here three and a half years ago and since then, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has been protecting our home systems and appliances. They’ve been decent with the price, quick on taking care of certain things and they’ve treated me very well. As soon as I find out there’s an issue, I usually call them. I had one bad issue with their rep. But other than that, everyone has been fine. The contractors that they've sent out were very helpful and very informative. They’ve taken care of my issues well.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the 5-star review! We appreciate your continued support and business.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

The website is a nightmare to use when requesting service and the customer service over the phone isn't much better. I needed a plumber and I received a voice message that they couldn't find one in their network so I would need to find one, arrange an appointment, get a detailed estimate, get their permission to have the work done, pay, then submit for refund. What am I paying them for? My second and last interaction with this company had to do with having my HVACs services. My contract said I could have up to two HVACs tuned-up. I read it that way and it was explained when I called to order the service it would be covered for the $100 fee. It ended up to be $200 and when I called to complain I was told I read the contract wrong. I guess the first guy I talked to set up the tunes up read the contract wrong also. Run away from this company.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback Kimberly! We are disappointed to read that you are not happy with our services and there was confusion surrounding the cost of the HVAC tune-up. We will do our best to use your review to improve our services as well as our communication with our customers. Thank you again and please reach out if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've had 2-10 for a year now. I typically submit claims with them online as they're good at responding if I do it that way. Some of the vendors they choose are not so brilliant, but other than that, they are fine. I've had one great experience in submitting a claim and the other one was bad. Phone calls are always better than email, but they're limited in what they can do -- it's only a call center after all. I'd still recommend 2-10 to others and most likely, I'll renew with 2-10, but I'll be shopping around.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Craig! We are excited to hear that you have had an overall great experience with our services. We appreciate your constructive criticism surrounding our contractor recruitment and we will do our best to improve this area of our business in the future.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had problems with my air conditioning unit and with some other stuff and when I called 2-10 Home Buyers, my experience was a bit difficult at first. I could not pick anybody that I wanted to come out quickly. I had to wait for them to contact the person and the person will figure out when they could come. It took seven days for the technicians to get to me but they were good and knowledgeable. They fixed the AC quickly but it was only momentarily. I decided I was gonna go with another air conditioning company. I got their insurance with it and it became a lot cheaper. Otherwise, it would cost me around $1,000. I had another technician come out and fix the AC again which is how I used the new insurance. That aside, I am satisfied with 2-10 Home Buyers.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Steve. We are relieved to read that despite some of the issues you ran into with your recent claim, you are overall satisfied with our product. We apologize for any stress our staff or partners may have caused you. Thank you for being so cooperative and understanding. If you ever need any other assistance, please give us a call.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had a really negative experience with a plumber that 2-10 sent out. It was rectified, but it caused a lot of stress. The plumber was supposed to fix certain things and he didn’t want to do it. He just made up stuff, like he said that I’ve thrown away parts and that I had to finally work on it because we just turned the water off so that it wasn’t wasting so much water. Then, when I was talking to the home warranty person about it, she was telling me all these things that the plumber has said on the phone with them. I told them that none of those are accurate.

I asked the plumber to tell 2-10 that the parts were here. He just yelled at me and left. I told him that I’m not gonna pay him for coming to my house, yelling at me, lying, and trying to void my warranty. Then, he yelled at me again. 2-10 sent in a different plumbing company out that had a master plumber who knew what he was doing. But I had to argue a lot and I spent a long time trying to get the issue fixed. Other than that, the quality of work done by the contractors that 2-10 usually sends out was good.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Fawn. We are so disappointed with the difficult experience you faced due to your plumber. We wish you had not endured some of these issues and we are working hard to make sure this type of problem does not occur again. If you need any further support, please send us a message on this site and we will do what we can to support you.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've had 2-10 for 14 years now and I give them a call if I have an issue, and they take care of it. The contractors come out within 24 hours. They've all been courteous, helpful, and professional. 2-10 just seem to take good care of me when I've needed them.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Kevin. Wow, 14 years! We are honored to have served your home for over a decade. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty. We appreciate having you apart of the 2-10 HBW family and we hope to continue providing you with 14 more years of excellent service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

On 11/07 I noticed water spots in the ceiling of my bedroom which grew bigger very quickly. Went online and created a work order for a plumber. They assigned a company, which I had to call to get a service date of 11/12. Needless to say 3 days later the wet part of the ceiling fell and water was dripping from the ceiling. Called an emergency plumber out who located the source of the leak with a camera, fixed the leak which came from the bathroom above. He rerouted hot and cold lines for sink, sent his sheetrock guy to repair ceiling; total cost 785.00. Claim submitted with invoice and this is where it gets interesting.

Work order **: invoice SUBMITTED with pictures of collapsed ceiling and repairs in progress. Received request for copy of check issued to contractor. SUBMITTED. Another request for invoice. SUBMITTED. Request for contractor to call 2-10 to describe repair. HE CALLED. Still need more details of work — was it a concealed leak (pics already submitted with invoice and description), what size holes were drilled. Contractor needs to call us and explain.

We all know the wait involved when you call 2-10. So, after the contractor called and spoke with Hannah, he has indicated he doesn’t have the time to sit and hold a line again to go over what he previously said. It’s now 12/02. No reimbursement to date. Here are the names of some of the reps: Mariah, Hannah, Kimberly. The latter asked me if the holes were 3’x3’ or 4’x4’. I had to ask her if she knew what she was talking about. Per one of the previous complaints, the warranty came with the purchase of the house. It has turned out to be a nightmare. My husband and I are retired and stuck with 785.00 bill with, apparently no resolve.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback Marge. We can understand the difficulty with this recent plumbing bill you and your husband are facing. Your claim will be escalated to see if there is anything we can do to support you both. Thank you for your feedback and we will be in touch shortly.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

We purchased our home in August of 2018 and, on the advice of our realtor, added a warranty through 2-10 to make unexpected repairs easier. On October 21, we placed a service request for our heating system and were told we would hear from a contractor within 24 hours. I called on October 26 to talk to customer service because we had heard nothing. I was told that the contractor assigned said he was too busy. The customer service rep stated that they would continue looking and contact us as soon as possible.

On October 29, 2-10 called my husband and said they could not find an in-network contractor and advised us to find our own. They stated that we would need a licensed contractor to send a copy of their findings along with an itemized list of costs to be approved before repairs could be authorized. We found a contractor, paid $100 to have them diagnose the problem, and sent the info to 2-10. We were told that it was “approved” and would be reimbursed.

Several days later, we called back to check on the progress of the reimbursement and were told that it had in fact *not* been approved. Customer service stated that they would forward the information on to the correct person and have it “approved.” Days later, we again received confirmation that the repair was “approved,” and we would be reimbursed for the cost of the repair minus the $75 we would have paid for the tech to come to our house in the first place. (Of course, this didn’t take into account that we had already paid $100 for the initial diagnostic visit, which would not be reimbursed.) The representative told my husband that the check would be in the mail. This was in early November.

Last week (end of November), we called to ask about the reimbursement check. 2-10 then told us that we would not be receiving a check because, although the file stated that the cost was “approved,” customer care “was not able to make those kinds of statements.” The final approval and reimbursement could only come after the repair was completed and the bill sent to 2-10.

In case this long and convoluted story has confused you as much as it has befuddled us, let me add a brief synopsis along with our current dilemma: We were asked to find our own contractor, pay the rate for diagnosis, and ask for a detailed breakdown of the cost; We were told on three separate occasions that the reimbursement was “approved.” Twice they turned around and told us that unfortunately it was not in fact approved; and They now want us to pay for the entire repair, mail them the bill (already paid by us), and wait to hear if it is actually, truly “approved.”

Also, this process was only necessary because: Our heat was broken in the fall, and remains broken over a month later with winter approaching; and they couldn’t find anyone in their network. This became our problem to solve. This week, we will pay the full price to have our heat repaired. I fear 2-10 will continue to find a way not to pay for what they have “approved.” And they will continue to wait for someone else (us) to deliver on their promises. My advice would be to shop around for other home warranties or just skip it altogether. It is not worth the headache, and you will likely end up paying for everything anyway. If I could get our money back and cancel the plan, I would do it in an instant. It is now December 1.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Becki. We are concerned to read about your experience and we are going to escalate this for you to try and remedy this situation. Thank you for your feedback and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

2-10's customer service was good. I had their number saved in my phone and I would normally call when I submit claims. Sometimes, there were problems with the automated service so it wouldn’t understand what I was saying. It was not very user-friendly so the claims process worked better if I got somebody on the phone. Also, their contractor tried to repair something which really needed to be replaced and it broke down again right away. I had to call them back because they didn't fix it properly.

I had 2-10 warranty for almost two years but I cancelled because they were gonna raise the price. I would have gotten them again had my rates not been raised. I like that if the claim was a repeat, I wouldn’t have to pay the visit again. However, they raised my rates because I had to do a couple of call backs which made it look like I had so many claims. They ought to take into consideration if it was a repeat issue. Raising my rate was fine though as long as they fix the item.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Amber. We are disappointed to read that you ended your services with us due to the increase in price. We just wanted to clarify that we did not raise your rates due to the number of claims you file with us. Sometimes the price increases as a result of the industry changing. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best of luck on your future home warranty endeavors.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

In June 2015 2-10 Warranty company sent out Zeller Contracting to replace a hot water heater. In St. Louis County, Missouri it is required that a plumber/contractor pay for and pull a permit for the replacement of a hot water heater. Zeller Contracting, according to St. Louis County Government, never pulled and paid for a permit. Being the homeowner, I had no knowledge at that time that a permit was required and that it was never pulled and paid for. Just recently (Nov. 2018) we decided to rent out that house.

A re-occupancy inspection is required by St. Louis County Government before any new occupants/renters can move in. Upon that inspection is when we learned that Zeller Contracting never pulled and paid for a permit that was needed in June 2015. After many phone calls to Zeller Contracting to get them to pull a new permit for this old job, Zeller Contracting will no longer answer my phone calls. I have also called 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty, who sent out Zeller Contracting and they also refuse to be of any help.

2-10, I believe, has a duty of responsibility to make sure that the plumbers/contractors they send out are reputable companies that will not only correct the situation but will also follow the permit requirements of the local government. At this point, if Zeller Contracting will not do the right thing and pay for the new permit, then I believe 2-10 should step up and pay for a new permit and also pay for any other expenses we might incur regarding this debacle.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Jeannie. Thank you for the review. We can understand how frustrating this must be having to pull an old permit for a job that should have already been pulled. We would like to escalate your review but we are having difficulty finding your account in our system. Would you send us a response on here with your property address and/or work order number? Your reply should remain private.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I’ve had 2-10 for over a decade and this is my second house with them. Their price is good and they're good at responding once they send somebody out for our needs. However, it's hard to get someone on the phone. They have the automated thing online to do calls, but sometimes I need to talk to somebody and it's impossible to use their system. There's no phone number on the website. I have to do a Google search just to find the number, every time. It's a hassle trying to get someone on the line. I always have to call in as a contractor. The only problem that I’ve had recently was our refrigerator, which finally went out. It was hard for them to find a contractor. They went through eight contractors trying to find someone to work on it. After that, they were like, “You find a contractor, and we’ll pay for it.” There was an issue with repayment, but I should have it back and it’s all good. I love them and I recommend them all the time.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the incredible decade of loyalty to our company, Nathan. We sincerely appreciate your support for our company. If you ever need any further assistance, please reach out to us.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I'm happy with 2-10. They are quick to get the people out whenever I have a claim. I call 2-10 if something is wrong, and they get the people to call me back, and the people come on out and fix the problem. The customer service reps have been fine, and the contractors were very nice and professional. I never had a problem with anybody that came out here to fix anything. When I had a heating system issue, the tech said that he needed a part, so he left and got the part. He brought the part back, and fixed the issue.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hello Sherry! Thank you for letting us know about your positive service experiences with our organization! We hope to continue providing you with expeditious and helpful repairs for years to come.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I dealt with 2-10 on three or four occurrences, and everything’s been cool. Everybody there has been quite helpful, but I’ve had contractors call and tell me they're on their way and not show up for three days. They show up out of the blue. I wasn’t even expecting the last one. I was standing at my door, watching the dog pee, when he pulled up in the damn driveway. From my understanding, there are only two people that 2-10 can call for appliances in my area and they suck. They were both the same company but they parted ways. One aspect of the company is extremely slow on whatever they do. I’m still waiting on my refrigerator, nine days later, to be fixed. The other one is unaccountable. I can’t count on them for anything. I’m still waiting on my dishwasher, from five weeks ago, to be fixed.

It’s been pitiful. I’ve talked to 20 people the past three weeks and they are really friendly and on top of trying to make it right with me. I am still in contact with 2-10 to assure that things are being taken care of properly. I appreciate that, but I keep getting the same response. They tell me that these contractors are the only people they have in our area, or they tell me to get somebody else, pay the full price, and maybe, they'll pay me back.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Connie. Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like you have had a very frustrating claim experience thus far. Your review will be escalated and we will do what we can to try and support you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I went to the 2-10 website and it doesn’t give you enough choices. There are three buttons to click on, and I needed to talk to someone to ask what happened. I had to call numerous times and at one point, they called me to get an approval. They told me that as soon as the approval is done, the order will be waited on. I waited a week, called back and they acted like they forgot to order the part. I had to wait another week before the parts came in. Afterwards, they immediately called and it took about a month to get my AC replaced. All in all, trying to set up a claim with 2-10 is a little confusing, but they're worth looking at.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Jaime. We appreciate your constructive criticism regarding your recent claim and our website. We will do our best to take into account your feedback when we make adjustments to our processes. If you ever need any support, please feel free to send us a message on here, on our Facebook page, or send us a direct message on Yelp. We will do our best to make sure you are given proper support. Thank you again.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW) has been in business for more than 35 years and is the only company that provides a 10 year insurance-backed structural warranty for new construction and a Home Warranty Service Agreement protecting the home’s major systems and appliances. Based in Denver, the company has protected more than 5.5 million homes.

• Low service fee: 2-10 HBW charges a low service fee of about $50. Service fees are clearly stated on contracts so homeowners will never be surprised.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week and also request service online through the 2-10 HBW website.

• Structural warranties: Homebuilders can become 2-10 HBW members and then offer structural warranties on the homes they sell. These warranties can give sellers a competitive edge in a tight real estate market.

• Blog: The 2-10 HBW website includes a blog with free informational resources. There are posts to help homeowners, homebuilders and real estate agents.

• Online quotes available: 2-10 now offers a new ‘Get a Quote’ feature on their website where, within a few easy steps, builders, real estate professionals and homeowners can get a quote.

• Best for: builders, real estate professionals and homeowners.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information