Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 6 million homes over 40 years. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Structural warranties for new homes
    • Flexibility in selecting service providers
    • Provides essential coverage
    • Roof leak coverage available

Cons

• Service call fees can be high
    • Some state restrictions

Bottom Line

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was al...

Verified

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear f...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

Coverage packages cover the cost of repairing or replacing certain systems, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.

2-10 service plans are not available in Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty starts at $19 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which ranges from $85 to $125. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
    • Built-in microwave
    • Disposal
    • Trash compactor
    • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
    Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
    Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
    Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
    Limited roof leak$1,000/term
    Septic system$500/term
    Swimming pool$1,000/term
    Well pump$500/term
    Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
    Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
    *Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
    2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
    3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
    4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I had Total Protection and 2-10 when the air conditioner went out. But I had work done two years ago on the unit in the attic of the house and I found out that the unit has been here since the house so it was just old and went out. When I called 2-10, they came out and said it was pre-existing, so they wouldn’t work on it. I took 2-10 two months prior because I was tired of Total Protection. I had them for 12 years and every time they fix something, they have to come back and fix it again. I happened to talk to a girl from Total Protection and she said, “You need to go with 2-10 because they are better. They work with you. These other insurance companies don’t.”

It takes 30 days for anything to be covered by 2-10. I didn’t cancel Total Protection because I wanted to make sure I had insurance before I cancel. So, thank God, I waited and hadn’t cancelled Total Protection. Right now, I hadn't used 2-10 but I want to keep them because I heard nothing but good news about them. They did got back with me real fast and sent somebody out. However, I'm disappointed and felt like the guy who signed me up misled me. He told me I would be covered after 30 days, and I was not covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thanks for your honest feedback. We want to apologize for the challenging service request experience you had with our company. Our goal is to make the service request process easy for you, and we weren’t quite up to snuff.

If you’d like to discuss more, please send us a private message here.

Thanks again for your constructive criticism.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I'm still in the middle of getting my spa worked on, getting it fixed. 2-10 dispatched me to somebody that was supposed to come out and work on it, but then they called me up and said, “No, we don't work on spas. We only work on the pools.” It took two and a half weeks to get somebody to come out. Then the contractors said they didn't know if he was gonna be able to get the board. He wanted to say we probably have to gut out the entire system and come to find out he was able to find a board for the spa in Tucson, Arizona. So we're waiting on getting that part out because it's a $1,000 maximum deductible for that claim.

Every time I've used 2-10 Home Warranty before, it's been awesome. It's like you don't realize how much just parts costs. If you only have to pay the deductible, and it cost less than you buying the parts themselves, you're getting everything else, the labor and the warranty, it's really good. One thing I found difficult was when I submit a claim, normally, I just go online and do it. But when I logged in, my property says that, under the options, I have the pool and spa, when I clicked on to submit a claim, open up a claim, I couldn't. I had to call it in because it wasn't available. It said, “You don't have that option,” when I did.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

We’re happy you gave us a great rating. More importantly, we want to apologize for the issue you had with the service request process. We’re always trying to make the service request process as easy as possible, and we acknowledge that we may have come up a bit short this time.

If you’d like to discuss more, please send us a private message here.

Thanks again for your feedback. It helps us continue to earn your business.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I first learned of 2-10 when I purchased my home in 2003. The builder, which was Roy's Homes, had a contract with 2-10 and that contract transferred on the home for one year. They paid for the first year in the event that there were any repairs needed that was not covered by their contract. From 2003 until last year, my requests have all been done by phone. This year, I made one of the requests online, but the most recent service call that I made was via phone. Because I started using the service via phone and that was so helpful, that's my preference. There's that personal touch in contact.

I've referred anybody who has a home to 2-10 because it has been a godsend. I purchased my home new in 2003, but over the years, there have been a need to change out the portion of the HVAC system. My refrigerator went out during that time too. When you've got a home for 17 years, things will break. I love the fact that there was never a worry. It's the same reason that I have flood insurance, and I don't live in a floodplain. It's the peace of mind knowing if something does happen that I can manage the cost associated with it. Compared to some of the other home warranty service providers that my friends and family have told me about, none of them compared to the benefits of 2-10. I've even gotten some family members and friends to change service providers.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hey Gwendolyn, it’s always awesome to read when people have such a great experience with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. People like you make the work we do so fulfilling. We appreciate the fantastic rating and will keep doing everything we can to keep you and your home happy and protected!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

My basement was flooded and 2-10 had PlumbRight come out. The guy came out and unclogged it. But I had to pay for the carpet cleaning people to come out. I also had to pay for PlumbRight to come back out because 2-10 wouldn't pay for it to be scoped, to run a camera down. Back in spring, I had an issue with my washer. They told me that that the piece for it wouldn't be in for a month. They paid not to replace the washer 'cause it was older. They just paid me for the part for $208. But I went back and forth with them forever about that situation.

I don't like dealing with the automated system as far as where they want you to go online and submit. The way that system is set up like if you need to have multiple things done that are in different categories, that's not very user-friendly. If I call them and tell them my garage door doesn't open, my stove isn't heating up, and my AC has an issue, over the phone, they can place those three different orders as $100 each. But still I can take care of all three of them at once.

When you go online and do it, it's not that simple for their customers to find their telephone number if they do need to call because they're really trying to make you use their online system. The online system is very difficult to maneuver through and to file a claim doing it that way. Then when you do call them, they give you too much runaround. The phone number is not accessible very easily on their website. By the time you do call in, their phone service part for you to get to the part that you need has too many steps. It's not user-friendly either. It ends up hanging up on you because you've said something wrong or it can't understand you, or you end up just finally giving in and just pushing a random button to get to an actual human. Then that human still has to forward you to the correct department.

When my basement flooded, even though it literally took me about 30 to 45 minutes to get somebody back on the phone, they gave me a company, Jeffersontown Plumbing, that did not respond. I called that company. I started calling them before they closed but they didn't respond then. It kicked to their emergency number and I called their emergency person repeatedly. Then I called back in to 2-10 and it was about a 30, 45-minute situation for me to get ahold of 2-10 again. By the time I got them live, I told them, "My basement is flooding. I need somebody now. I don't have time to keep waiting."

The rep changed it to an emergency so it's a good thing I asked because this could have been blindsided if I hadn't. I asked if they could tell me who the company would be. I made the assumption that when they moved it from a regular phone call to an emergency, they would change the company. But that was not the case. They just flagged it differently in the system for the same company. When she told me it was still Jeffersontown, I told her I needed a new company because I called them before they went off the clock but nobody responded. She had to go to a supervisor and request to give me PlumbRight. But it's not like this has happened all the time. Once you start dealing with a company, it's pleasant. I haven't had a bad experience dealing with their subcontractors.

I've recommended 2-10 more than once. I do let people know those two things but when I finally do get to a human to tell them what my needs are, the process is very simple. They are quick about telling me if it's in my coverage or no and getting me assigned to somebody. I do know other companies that charge less though. I've got some friends that use some of the other companies that charge like $75. My other battle with them is I refuse to pay outrageous money. I've been with them since '09 and this is the first time when I renewed this year, they sent me a thing in the mail and told me I was going to pay $94 a month. I said, "Absolutely not. I'm not paying your $94 a month." I started with this company paying maybe $50 and now I'm up to $60.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Diyana, we’re glad that we could help resolve your service request. More importantly, we appreciate your honest feedback about the issue you had throughout the service request process. We want to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to make the service request process a positive experience for you.

If you’d like to discuss more, please send us a private message here.

Thanks again for your feedback..

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

2-10 is better than Select Home Warranty, even though it was a little bit more expensive, in terms of what they cover and then the replacement too. A lot of times, from what I've been told, most warranty companies want to fix and fix, or they have a clause in their process where they're gonna fix something and not cover repair. For me, I wanted to be able to not have to fight back and forth with a warranty company if the expert who's fixing the problem or the issue did say it needs to be repaired. I was wanting that peace of mind to know that if something needs to be fully replaced, and I'm paying my money, I expect that to happen.

I have submitted a claim for something minor, but it wasn't a replacement. I had issues with the electricity in one room. The guy had to come where he didn't have to replace an outlet, but the other issue was he was able to resolve it. 2-10 is so far, so good. I haven't had any problems. One thing that I would like for them to consider is vetting their list more in terms of their contractors and who they sent out because the first person they had down to come out to my house to look at the wiring issue had 1-star bad reviews from Google and Angie's List. So, I always check. I don't just go by who they send out. I always do my research and see if that company is reputable and have good reviews.

I called 2-10 about the one with bad reviews and said, “Hey, you have these individuals coming out, I don't want them out.” What I appreciate is they said, “Here are a couple of names.” They would give me the names, and I was able to look them up. The good thing about it is that they had a plethora of different vendors, not just one. They should monitor the customer reviews and then kinda weed those folks off the list. 2-10 rated high in terms of these other home warranty companies. To keep the credibility, that matters too. If folks don't maintain a certain star-point rating, they should not be considered a proven vendor.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hello Harriet, thank you so much for the awesome rating. People like you are what make 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty successful. We’re honored you chose us to help protect your home. We’re ready to help you again when you need it!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I contacted 2-10 on August 3rd due to the air conditioner not working at all. They came out and stated I needed a new compressor. They said they ordered it and it would take a few days. After a week I contacted them, because I received no notifications and the status of my request was not updated on line. They said they ordered the wrong compressor and had to reorder the right one. I called several times again and no one could assist. They had no idea what was going on. Keep in mind every time I called, I was on hold for 40 minutes to over an hour just to be able to talk to someone. I just want people to know that this service is horrible, and I believe they just did not want to pay for the compressor. Very sad to go without air conditioning for over a month in Florida in the month of August. I absolutely will not renew their service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

The contractor came to my home on August 13th, said that the issue with my fridge required a part. So they needed to order it and he’d be back out next week when it came in. August 15th, my fridge goes completely out. The freezer and fridge side, so when he comes back out on Wednesday, August 18th, he tells me that the fridge is beyond repair and that he’ll be submitting the diagnosis to 2-10. Well that didn’t happen until Monday, August 23rd! So I was told it had to go to the determination dept and I’d be notified of the decision within 3-5 days. Well, after not hearing anything for 3 days, I called on Thursday, August 26th and was told they decided to repair the refrigerator, instead of replacing as recommended! & they had to call the contractor to get additional information that was not on the initial diagnosis submission.

So at this point, I’ve been two weeks with no refrigerator due to mis/lack of communication between the contractor and 2-10! So they submit the new information to the determination department and I have to wait another 3-5 days for a determination. & the most frustrating part is that I’m only finding out information because I’m calling. The portal was never updated and I was never notified of any decisions! & since then, I still don’t have a refrigerator and today is August 31st! So needless to say, this has been the worst experience!!! My family has been out of so much money between having to constantly buy ice, eat out or throw away leftovers because we don’t have anywhere to store it! Not to mention having to throw away all the food in my fridge and freezer! & there’s been no offer to compensate nor a rush to get this issue resolved! If I could give this rating 0 stars, I would! 2-10 has been the worst home warranty company I’ve ever dealt with!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I've had this warranty agreement for 6 months and decided to call regarding my home needing ductwork. My agreement clearly states it's covered. After the HVAC service technician came out and charged me $75, they never called me back. I called days later and was told it wasn't covered. Needless to say, I canceled my service.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Purchased a home in December 2020 with a 2-10 Home Warranty, Policy (Supreme Coverage Included). On April 6 we contacted 2-10 that the refrigerator was not staying cold. 2-10 Home Warranty sent out a contractor three times for repair before it was diagnosed unrepairable. On August 23, I was informed the refrigerator will be delivered on October 26, 7 months since the refrigerator stopped working. To replace my refrigerator $2,7K, 2-10 Warranty offered refrigerator $1,6K. Company representative suggests I take the cash buyout of $1,2K to resolve the issue. Extremely dissatisfied and disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

DON't DO IT. I bought a $600 warranty expecting to pay a $90 service call if something broke. Well it did. My refrigerator freezer. I called 2-10 and couldn't reach anyone but was able to submit a claim on their portal. An appliance repair person came out and diagnosed the problem. He said they would order the parts or 2-10 would pay for a new fridge. 10 days later, I had not heard anything so I called the appliance guy and he said 2-10 was not going to authorize the parts replacement and would most likely give me credit for a new or replacement fridge.

I had not heard anything from 2-10 so I called them. I listened to a recording for 35 minutes that said my call was very important to them. I missed 5 work calls while I waited. I was unable to stay on the phone because of an appt. I called again 2 hours later-was on hold another 35 minutes when I finally got to a customer service agent who said his notes conflict with what the repair person said. So, I am sitting here on hold, waiting for him to come back with a resolution. 45 minutes on hold this time. So if you're looking for a great company, look elsewhere.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information