2.74/5
Based on 717 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty provides homeowners financial protection, knowing the unexpected may be expensive. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

As an accredited home warranty company by the Better Business Bureau, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 5.8 million homes over 38 years.

"LONG LIVE HAPPY HOMES®" says it all.

ABBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 24, 2018

1617 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2018

I recently opened a work request at 2-10 Home Buyers. They assigned to a local contractor. But that contractor inexplicably cancelled my work order. I didn't find this out until I called them on the day of service to find out why they had not arrived or contacted me. They really didn't have a good reason for cancelling. When I called 2-10 to complain, they were completely useless. Although the servicing contractor is their agent, they seemed unable to exert any influence on my behalf. They claimed they were unable to do anything for me except request a new appointment from the servicing firm, or reassign the work order to a new firm; in which case I start all over in terms of how long I have to wait for service.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Stephen. We are so sorry your contractor cancelled your work order. I am going to send this into my team and do what I can to get this claim moving again. Thank you for reaching out.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2018

As a new homeowner, I went through the proper channels to purchase my home... including the home inspection. Everything passed inspection, which was conducted in accordance with NC law. Fast forward to homeownership when 6 weeks into my mortgage/warranty coverage my AC unit stopped working. Having 2 units outside, I didn’t know enough to request 2 services when I filed my request online. Fortunately for me the service provider dispatched by 2-10 took the time to educate me on the need for a second service at the same time of the first one so I paid only one service fee.

I called 2-10 and they happily made the change. Suggest they have some additional information on their website pertaining to this-or, if it’s there already, that they make it more clear. Service call occurred, leaking coils discovered. Received initial call from 2-10 that repairs were approved. Moment later received the call retracting the approval and outright denying any coverage at all due to “sizeable leaks that could not have occurred within 6-weeks of the warranty’s effective date which means the units were not in proper working order at the time the warranty was purchased.” Apparently the fact that a legitimate and legal home inspection occurred and the AC system passed has absolutely no bearing on the decision to deny coverage.

In calling 2-10 back, the representative I spoke with went so far as to suggest that the inspection was wrong and that I should contact the seller to take this issue up with them. Moral of the story... if you are not an expert on any system that your 2-10 warranty covers, you might want to have an expert come in to verify that your system actually is in perfect working order before you spend money on this warranty. Since a home inspection report doesn’t count towards your claim, get your ducks in a row with expert validation or don’t spend your money on this warranty.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Stacy. Thank you for the review. It has to be incredibly frustrating to have a claim denied after it the unit passed an inspection. I am going to escalate this on your behalf to see if we can revisit our decision. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and hopefully we can generate a more favorable solution for this claim.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2018

When we bought our house, 2-10 was the warranty that the people had there and we have it for two years now. Right now, we have a claim going for our air conditioner. When I called to tell them the air conditioner went out again, the first girl I talked to put me on hold as she had to find out some information. She came back, but I was having a very hard time hearing her. It was like she was telling me that we were going to have to pay a $100 deductible, but we don’t even have a $100 deductible, our deductible is $60. And then we were cut off, and she never called me back.

It was the second time they had to come out for it. I told them that my husband had COPD and they were very helpful. They got the work order out within 15 minutes and the company was back the next day. The air conditioner is working but we will be needing a compressor, and 2-10 hasn’t gotten back to us yet if they were going to pay for it. But the communication levels are very well. Every claim I’ve put in, they have been taken care of except for our microwave. They explained that the homeowners had the microwave built-in but it was not a built-in microwave so we weren’t able to get that taken care of. But other than that, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is worth it.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the review Barbara. We apologize for the disconnected phone call you had with one of our staff members. We are relieved to hear that everything else has gone smoothly and that you had a positive experience with your contractor. If you need any additional support, please send us a message. We will be sure to look into any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you for the feedback and thank you for choosing 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I've had 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty for almost three years now. So far, my experience with them has been very positive. I can file a claim online or over the phone. The process is seamless, not a whole lot of push back. Their reps have been pleasant and comprehensive, and they always have a reasonable outcome. The plumbing contractor who came out was professional and competent. My experience with him was very satisfactory. We've used other home warranties before and this one is, by far, the best. It's good value for the money and we have recommended it to others.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

We are thrilled to hear that you have had a positive experience with us. Thank you for seeing the value in our service and thank you for the wonderful review Barry.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I would love to write a novel on my frustrations, but I'm not so sure that'd do any good. As first time home buyers, the entire experience has not been an easy one nor has it been a dream. There were two things messed up when we moved in here, things that were not messed up the previous day before we closed. 2-10 won't give fixing our clogged sink, nor will they bother with our dishwasher. We upgraded to the supreme the very day we closed and for what? If you aren't going to cover anything, why did I waste my money? I appreciate the fact that a stressful situation has only doubled thanks to you all.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Jakki. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. According to our notes, we set up a second opinion appointment for your dishwasher claim and in order to complete the repairs on your sink, you need ventilation in your kitchen or a clean out done. We will escalate this to see if we can expedite a diagnosis on the second opinion. We apologize if this has not gone according to plan but we hope we can get this resolved for you soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: May 16, 2018

I submit claims through the phone and 2-10's representatives are usually very good. I used 2-10 a week ago and the contractor who handled it was brilliant. He got the work order in the morning and he was out within an hour. He knew exactly what to do and he got it right. We’re happy with our 2-10 experience overall.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Barry. We appreciate hearing that you had a brilliant contractor and an overall positive experience with our company. Thank you for the glowing review and support!

Original review: May 15, 2018

I scheduled a service call over three weeks ago after 3 appliances failed within two weeks of closing on our new home. After the contractor completed his inspection we were notified a few days later that our claim was denied. After calling customer service, they explained that the claim was denied because the appliances were non-functional due to normal wear and tear (doesn't everything they claim to cover have wear and tear?). After several phone calls and long hold times I was put in touch with their claims department. The claims representative was unhelpful until I asked to cancel my home warranty.

After being placed on hold again she informed me that the denial of my claim had been overturned and they would fix 1 out of the 3 appliances. The representative contacted the contractor who did the inspection while I waited on hold and they ordered the parts to repair the dishwasher through 2-10's purchasing department. Fast forward to today, which is 13 days later, I called 2-10 to get an update because I have not been contacted to schedule the repair. I was informed by 2-10 that even though they had previously overturned their denial of my claim, corporate had then overturned the claims department decision to fix our dishwasher.

We were given no notice that this decision had been made, and the representative I talked to today made no effort to remedy the situation. I asked for a corporate contact number and was told they didn't have access to a contact number and would not provide one. This has been the most frustrating customer service experience in recent memory, and I will be seeking to cancel my warranty.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there John. We received your review on Home Warranty Reviews last night and this has been forwarded to our escalations team. Someone will be in contact with you soon to discuss this in further detail. Thank you.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I had a terrible experience with customer service today. A service provider states my drain was damaged due to excessive drain cleaner being used (they didn't ask if I had used any and in fact had not used in over a year from having this issue). No explanation or verification was provided by the service provider, but I needed to provide verification, which is outrageous. After I was told my claim was denied due to these false diagnosis that I could submit images to show no damage. The email never came through so I called back only to hear only there is no such email for images can be sent to! I get hold of the service provider who was not on site but states this is typical and they assume this is the reason although they see no actual damage!! 2-10 states I have to suck up the cost for a second opinion on top of all this. This is not my first time dealing with this type of issue. They send a poor choice for a technician and YOU have to pay up.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there RoseAnn. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your experience. I can understand your frustration with this denial and I am also interested in understanding this further. I am sending this into my escalation team filed as a denial dispute. They will review your feedback and your claim history and then see if we can change our claim decision. My team will reach out to you soon to discuss this further.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My sister-in-law who’s a realtor got me in contact with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. However, half of the time their website doesn’t work and I end up calling someone. Then I’m put on hold for a long period of time. They need to get their website to work because when I get on hold when calling the 800 number, it will say, “For faster service try our website.” It’s just very frustrating to try to get a claim. Also, I always tell them to contact my tenant because I live in Illinois and the property is in Arizona. So, I always give them the tenant’s phone number and tell them to call me when they need the $70 fee to put on a credit card and they never usually get that straight. They always end up calling me and they would say that they don't see the tenant's information on the work order.

Last year, I had a property that had an air conditioner that needed to be fixed and it was a runaround trying to get somebody out there. Then the contractor that they assigned kept telling me different things with the part, either it was in or it was on order. It was in the summertime and it took over two weeks. I wouldn’t recommend 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Barbara. Thank you for the feedback on ways that we can improve our website. We also added your tenant to the account so that way we can contact them personally rather than having to go through you every time. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We are in our second year with 2-10 Home Warranty. Last year, we did not have a good experience with 2-10 when our hot water heater began to leak and had to be replaced, but a representative told us that we would have had more coverage if we had bought their "Premium" warranty. So this year when we renewed, we chose the "Premium" coverage. Then last week, we returned from vacation last week to find our basement flooded and water coming out of our toilet tank through a crack. We immediately created a service request with 2-10. The plumber did not come until Thursday (service request placed on Saturday). Plumber stated whole toilet needed to be replaced and then said he would come back on Tuesday. However today, one week later 2-10 denied our claim and kept our $100 service fee.

Per our contract under plumbing, under covered: INCLUDED: Toilet tank. Per our contract under EXCLUDED and given as the reason for denial: "Water residue or insufficient capacity loss arising from porcelain chipping, cracking, dents or other externally caused physical damages". Our claim was for a new toilet due to cracking on the tank NOT a request for a new toilet based upon water residue or insufficient capacity loss. Also, there is no evidence of externally caused physical damages. We are currently seeking our options for a mediation company and researching a new home warranty company. Do NOT do business with 2-10 Home Warranty company. The contract is worth nothing when your claims are denied. Thank goodness for USAA Homeowner's Insurance that actually covers you when you need it!

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Kerrie. We are curious to hear about your frustration with this denial. Your review will be escalated to see if this decision can be overturned. Thank you for reaching out and we will be in touch soon.

Original review: May 14, 2018

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was already part of the home that I bought. The previous homeowners had it already and they just renewed it for me when I purchased it. I’ve had the warranty for a year now and I've only used them once. Their claims process was easy. I submitted a claim online and I also called their claims rep to set up an appointment, and they set up for someone to come out and check out what was going on. The contractor was prompt. He was out the next day or two days later. He told me what was going on with my product and then started putting in the oil of the appliance. My experience has been good. In fact, I just called and renewed my warranty with them. So far, I'm very satisfied with 2-10.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

We love hearing that our customers renewed their contracts. Thank you for the review Benjamin. We appreciate knowing that you are satisfied with our services. Thank you for choosing 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Original review: May 13, 2018

It is very difficult to contact this company. I am unable to find any information on their website before or after logging in on how to submit my invoice for payment. We have had two plumbing issues with difficulty getting a contractor out timely and submitted the invoice for payment, and contacting the company for payment. In 2016, I was on the phone several times over several days for over 30 minutes waiting each time, to have my calls transferred back and forth from a general person to claims then to accounting then to claims again. This is after I sent my own plumber out as the referred contractor no longer existed. Now, this past week, I am unable to reach the company by phone (during week hours as the hold time is so long).

I finally called a plumber myself as the plumber they assigned (after I submitted an online work order) never called within the timeframe. Now I cannot submit my invoice. Please tell me how to submit my invoice for payment. There is no information on your website on how to submit my invoice. I was able to contact your "chat" but was referred back to your website which was no help. Please help.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Kim. I am so sorry that you have had issues with this recent claim. I will escalate this to my staff immediately and have my team member review your invoice. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and hopefully we can get this squared away today.

Original review: May 13, 2018

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was purchased by the people I bought the house from and I had no problems with it for the year, so I just stayed with 2-10. I had submitted a couple of claims online and most of them I would call in, though it would take a long time to get through the phone like anywhere else. But within 24 hours, 2-10 would have somebody contacting me. The contractors have been excellent. I had called a contractor when I had a problem and he helped me correct it over the phone and everything was fine. The money I paid 2-10 had been a good value and I would tell others to go for it.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the five star review Bernard. We are excited to hear that you have had excellent contractors and quick communication from our staff. We appreciate your continued support and thank you for choosing 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 12, 2018

I bought a new home four months ago and I've submitted two separate claims to 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty over the phone. That was easy and one claim was smooth sailing but the first claim was not. They kept giving the runaround and instead of replacing the water heater, they kept sending somebody out. They had to come five times before they got the issue with the hot water heater right. It has been fixed for about 30 days now. The other repair went great though. A person came out the day I called and fixed the issue. Then I paid $75 and that was the end of it.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Barry. We apologize for the issues you experienced with your first claim. We appreciate hearing that your second claim went smoothly and that you are enjoying our company. We hope to only improve our services moving forward and we appreciate you sticking with us.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Contacted this company twice to come out and assess AC unit that is no longer blowing out cool air. Finally, after two weeks, someone came out and stated that the air unit needed a compressor. My husband paid the guy $100 for the service call just to tell us that we needed a compressor. Two days later (temp in our home have been up to 84 degrees), we still have not received phone call notifying us of the next step. So due to my medical issue and the rising temp in our home, my husband called the company (again) to see why no one has been out to repair or install the compressor.

Upon talking to the representative, we were told that there is NO SERVICE ORDER reported for our AC unit! Needless to say, my husband and I are furious because all of this time, my asthmatic child and myself with medical issues are SUFFERING in a home with the thermostat reading 84 degrees!! Apparently this guy who came out for the service call just "stole" $100 from us because he never reported the service call to file a claim for repair of our AC. So as of today, our attorney has been contacted and we are taking legal action. We are cancelling our contract and will NEVER advise another homeowner to use this company. (Just got a second opinion from a different HVAC company, the unit does not need a compressor, it was something else!) Another insult to injury.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Kenneth. I am so sorry you have experienced so many issues with this his response recent claim. This has been escalated and someone will reach out to you soon.

Original review: May 11, 2018

This is our second year with 2-10 and the first claim we have made. We discovered on April 14, 2018 that our HVAC was not blowing cold air. The initial service request was sent on April 15, 2018 through the online portal. I received a confirmation email on April 16th that a contractor was assigned. Three days had passed and still no call from the assigned contractor to schedule a time for him to come out to diagnose the problem. On April 19th, I called the contractor and he told me I caught him at a bad time and to call him the next day. Needless to say, I tried to contact him on April 20th several times without success. I called 2-10 the same day and they reassigned a different contractor.

Accent Heating and Cooling (newly assigned contractor) was extremely professional on the phone and was able to come to the house on April 23rd. The contractor was professional and personable and said that some major parts had failed on the outdoor unit as well as the inside air handler. The contractor sent 2-10 the invoice with the recommended parts needed the same day as the diagnosis which was April 23rd. I called 2-10 to follow-up on April 25th and April 27th which resulted in conflicting information being given to me in regards to the parts that were requested. Somehow both phone calls I had to be transferred numerous times and was even told they didn’t show any work request!!! I contacted the contractor and he even stated he had tried to request the status of the parts and he was told they don’t know why parts haven’t shipped to him.

At this point, I was given different answers, no answers, and the contractor was as confused and frustrated. I called 2-10 the following week on May 3rd, and spoke with the Purchasing Department. They stated that parts are being shown as being ordered but they don’t know why they haven’t shipped. I was told they would send an email when they would ship... no email. I again called on May 4th and spoke with a Supervisor who understood my frustrations with no answers and no service up to this point. She reimbursed the initial service fee of $100 as a courtesy which was nice but that did not solve the problem. She assured me that she will be following up next week to get to the bottom of all the “round-about” answers and lack of answers of where the parts are and if they have even been ordered.

I again called on May 7th and they stated the parts have been ordered and a tracking number has been made and they should arrive to the contractor on May 9th. Guess what, May 9th came and I contacted the contractor and he said he received 1 of the 3 parts by mail. He said he called 2-10 asking where the other parts were and they didn’t have an answer. I immediately called 2-10 and they stated they only show 1 part being ordered. CRAZY! I was told, yet again, they would be following up.

It is now May 11th and I contacted 2-10. I spoke with Fran who said she shows the 2 other parts were canceled at some point but couldn’t tell me when and by who. HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN? She took a few extra steps and forwarded my claim to “the back room” which apparently is “rare” because they don’t usually do that (according to Fran). I was told by her that they would be contacting the distributor and they would call me tomorrow.

Well, tomorrow is Saturday so I demanded this be taken care of TODAY. I had to remind her this is 3 days short of 1 MONTH OF NO SERVICE. Fran called back within minutes and stated somehow the order for the other 2 parts was canceled and they are working to get those parts shipped from the distributor by Monday. By then, it will be over 1 month since the initial service request and still no fix to the HVAC. This is UNACCEPTABLE with paying over $500 for a home warranty that has failed to provide service in a timely manner.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings David. Thank you for the thorough review. This has been sent into our escalations team and someone will follow up with you soon. We appreciate you reaching out to us and hopefully we can get this fixed quickly.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Aside from hearing about 2-10 through the property manager that manages our rental home, I also did my own research and learned that 2-10 offers coverage for the bigger things in the home. Some other companies don’t cover air conditioning units and things like that but they do so, we went that route. I usually use the website when submitting a claim but one time, I called in and explained what’s going on and they found a contractor right away. I got an email letting me know who the contractor is and they have until the next business day to reach out to you and schedule an appointment. But you can reach out first which is what I normally do. I call them right away and tell them what’s needed and it goes from there. The contractor will call 2-10 and give a diagnosis. If any parts were needed, 2-10 would usually called me and tell me what I need to do. I pay my deductible to the contractor directly and they fix the problem.

I've had a couple of issues with contractors that they used, but that’s not necessarily 2-10’s fault. If the contractor starts getting sloppy then you just tell them and they’ll dismiss the contractor. I had some issues with the air conditioning unit and people using duct tape and not doing what they're supposed to do, but 2-10 worked through that and made it right. Other than that, I've always had great service through the contractors and I don’t have any issues with 2-10 as a company and as a whole. I would recommend 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty to anybody that asked. People need to do their own research and make sure they're selecting a company that meets their individual needs. It’s up for renewal in a couple of weeks and when we signed up a year ago, we did the basic level package and we didn't add on anything, so what you get is worth it as far as being what you can.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the wonderful review Becky! We are thrilled to hear that you would recommend our company to any friends or family. We appreciate your support and loyalty to our organization. Thank you.

Original review: May 11, 2018

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was recommended by the seller of the property and we’ve had it for at least three years now. We've used them several times as needed and I call them when I submit a claim. Their demeanor was always professional and cordial. They’ve always come through beautifully. However, this last time, it seemed as if the ball was dropped. We turned in an issue on April 8 and the repair person came to the home on April 11. It seemed the report from the repair company never made it to 2-10. It wasn’t until this last week, after multiple calls to both the repair company and to 2-10, that the repair was done. They offered the same excuse for the delay. Still, I finally was able to get the satisfaction that I was seeking and everything was taken care of posthaste.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for your feedback Barbara. We apologize that there were some scheduling/communication issues with this most recent claim. We do appreciate hearing that it all worked out and we were able to get this claim resolved. Thank you for the review and we will do our best to make your next claim experience easier.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I've had 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty since November. I called their number sometime last week to file a claim for my hot water heater. My interactions with their reps were positive and the contractor they sent out was good. He came out last Monday and diagnosed the problem and got with 2-10. However, the problem has not been fixed yet. The water heater came in but it was the wrong one so we're working on it.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Bernard. We are so sorry that the wrong unit was ordered but we are relieved to hear that our staff has been helpful in working through this issue. If you need any further assistance, please reach out again. Thank you.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Home warranty is something you don’t really think about but it’s nice to have them there. I just moved in a new house in the last six months and the realtor referred us to 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. Submitting a claim was very easy. I did it through the phone and it was all automated. I had a quick question and they were able to answer it quickly too. They were very friendly, very helpful and very informative. 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is extremely valuable especially that it's getting to be summertime. We’re having an AC issue and we need it fixed because the temperature gets up to the 80’s.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Bennett. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! Thank you for just recently joining the 2-10 HBW family. We are overjoyed to hear about the positive experience you have had with our staff, contractors, and systems. Thank you for the loyalty and support!

Original review: May 9, 2018

My warranty through my house was for a year and then I've turned it over to 2-10 to get the extended warranty. And it has been a disaster. I submit my claim but nothing happens. Dealing with this particular company has really been a nightmare. I've been on the phone all day trying to call heating and air people, because the guy that they keep sending out here has been out here four times and my heat has has been out. I sit in the damn heat all of last week, all over the weekend. Like I told her Saturday I feel like I would suffering from heat exhaustion or something because it was so hot in my house.

The guy came out here Monday so the last four times with his visits I had either been in the heat or in the cold. And so finally she told me this weekend, "See if you can find somebody out of the network. They would just have to call us first and get an okay." I couldn't find anybody who do that. Nobody dealt with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. So even though I pay them all every month, I'm to the point now where I'm trying to find somebody to fix my air before I get sick or before my family gets sick from pooling with the heat. I'm very dissatisfied.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Barbara. We are concerned to hear that your contractor has been out 4 times yet your air conditioning is still not working. I am escalating this claim for you so that we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you for reaching out and someone from our team will reach out to you shortly.

Original review: May 9, 2018

2-10 failed to send a contractor to see HVAC issue. Do not even think of taking insurance from 2-10. I am done with them and not renewing my insurance with them. All the contractors they work with have very bad reviews and if you open a service request, they will at least take 2 to 3 weeks to send the contractor. There is no way to expedite. Save your money and do not take any warranty service from 2-10.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Greetings Rakesh. We are saddened to hear that you have not enjoyed our services. If you are having issues with your contractors and our overall claim turn around time. It should not take 2 to 3 weeks for a contractor to service your property. I am going to send your review to my escalations team so that we can follow up. Thank you for the enlightening feedback and hopefully we can redeem ourselves.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had switched to another home warranty company and went back to 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. I’ve had them since 2016. So far I've used them about three times and this last experience they were not able to find me anybody with the septic tank. I didn’t like the fact that they wanted me to have to wait up to 72 hours, so my tenants were not able to use the restroom and that I had to pay out of my pocket first and see if I'll even get a reimbursement. 2-10 did not put enough effort into finding someone because my tenant was able to find someone with no problem. So I didn’t appreciate that part. Other than that they’ve been okay. 2-10 is a good company.

But I'm still needing to contact them about reimbursing me on one of the claims. Usually they had been paying the client, the vendor or the contractor that had to do them but because I had to reach out and find someone on my own this will be the first time to reach back out to them to get a reimbursement. I'm dissatisfied with the experience right now.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Belinda. Thank you for the review. We are currently reviewing your invoice to see if we can provide reimbursement. We are very sorry for the trouble we caused you and hopefully we can redeem ourselves. Thank you for reaching out to us, and please contact us again if you need any further assistance.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I've been with 2-10 since September of last year. I submit my claims online and that part is okay, but the people that they send out are very questionable. My kitchen sink wasn't working from December until last week and three plumbers came out. It took 2-10 a few days to get anybody that would come out so I didn't think they have enough contractors. The first one who came told me something totally wrong. Then the second one messed up my pipe. I have a septic tank and the guy took off something that was needed to keep it from poisoning us. I didn't think they were plumbers to start with. I watched them. They were looking at the pipes then looking at each other trying to figure out how to put things together. Also, they asked me what time I wanted them to come. I gave them a time and they came 4:30 in the afternoon. But the last plumber was amazing. I hired him outside of the warranty to take service.

I tried to get 2-10 to take care of business but they were very unhelpful. I was kinda on my own, which was why it took so long. The customer service that I talked to was amazing and really nice. She was doing customer service, which they were supposed to do. She connected me to somebody else to make it happen. The guy who happened to be above her said, "No. We're not paying for that. We don't pay for that. We're not gonna do it." And she had already told me the service call would be on them. I had American Home Shield at my previous house and they did a better job than 2-10. So I was like, "Well, I would go back to them versus this company."

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hello Barbara. Thank you for the feedback! We are so sorry for some of the contractor issues you had on your plumbing claim. We are relieved to hear that the last service provider was so amazing that you hired him outside the warranty as well. If you are looking to have us review any claim decision we have made or want further assistance with your claim, please let us know. We will make sure to follow up with your personally and look into any of your requests. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we hope you stick with our company.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This is my complaint from BBB. I just cannot type a new one. "I would first like to say that I am shocked with 322 negative reviews that you still have an "A" rating. It is making me question the BBB ratings or it is possible I don't understand them. Anyway, I started the process of servicing our A/C unit on 2/23. At that time a contractor was added to my account who proved difficult to get in touch with. He finally came out 2 weeks later and said we needed a new unit, but he told 2-10 we only needed a new compressor. It was ordered and FOUR weeks later he came out to install. We were told he installed it, but he actually just added a booster. My question to 2-10 is why didn't he try the booster when he came out the first time. That would have saved us several weeks.

Anyway, fast forward a few days and our A/C stopped working again. The contractor came back out, but this time he said it was the coil. He ordered a new coil, we waited 2 weeks, he came out to install and realized he ordered the wrong size. He said he would take it back and just exchange it. A week goes by and he finally goes to do that. He then realized the part is hard to get and it would take 2-10 at least 5 more days to find the part. Well we live in Atlanta where it is 85 degrees and I have a 2 year old sleeping in a space with no air. Waiting more time was not something we could do. We opted to pay to replace on our own where we found out the contractor had messed up our ductwork around the furnace. That was $300 out of our pocket we should not have paid.

Save yourself time and money and just do not use 2-10. I cannot say for sure that they are the issue. The issue could be the contractor. Either way 2-10 hires the contractor so it is still their issue to fix. 2-10 has also been less than helpful in fixing this issue. They don't seem to care about negative reviews and just go back to their disclosures. They are not customer friendly and just result in added frustration."

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Jennifer. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I want to note a couple things before getting started- We continue to have an "A" rating on the BBB because we follow up with and resolve almost every complaint that we receive online. Every major review site we have our escalations team and/or online advocate follow up with every review we receive. We have an outstanding record of resolving online negative disputes. With your particular claim, I am concerned to read that our contractor messed up your ductwork which caused you to suffer additional costs. I am going to send this to my team. We are nearing the end of the business day today but someone should be able to reach out to you tomorrow to discuss this further. Thank you for your feedback and reach out again if you need to supply us with any additional information.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have been with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty since I took possession of the home, which has been just barely a month. I called directly to file a claim and their overall professionalism was pretty good. During the first service call that the contractor made for an electrical issue, he didn't fix the problem, so he had to submit another repair order and he got it fixed the second time.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the feedback Bernard. We appreciate hearing that our contractor was able to handle your issue on the second round of visits. Thank you for continuing to support our company and we will do our best to make your next claim experience even better than the last.

Original review: May 8, 2018

When I first bought the house, I didn’t do an inspection and I wasn’t buying the house until I was given the home warranty. 2-10 was the one that the seller was familiar with so that was the warranty provider we’ve had. So, I’ve had the 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty since I purchased the house. It was relatively easy to file a claim which I do via telephone. I had a service call lately and it was a problem with the dishwasher. It was spraying water and making a whole lot of loud noise. This was the first time I had something with the 17-year-old dishwasher. A person came out and put a motor in it. I wasn't happy about that. I’m waiting to see how well it works. If it doesn’t really work, I would be calling back again. The life expectancy of a dishwasher is not that long. If the appliance is not with its life expectancy, I should be getting a replacement without having to pay them.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Bernice. Thank you for the feedback. If your dishwasher is to breakdown again, please call and let us know. Repair before replacement is an industry standard that abide by and hopefully this repair will hold out for a long time. Thank you for the review and please reach out if you need any further support.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We've found 2-10 Home Buyers on the internet and liked the reviews that we saw. We've been with them for more than five years now. When I submit a claim, I just call them and the dealings with their claims reps have been great. They were extremely helpful. The service contractors that came were good people and our dealings with them have been excellent. Everything has been working great since the repairs.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Julie. We love hearing that you enjoy our services. Thank you for the wonderful review and thank you for your continued business.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We had 2-10 Home Buyers the year before last when we bought our condo and we just kept going with them. We've had them for 3 years and submitting a claim was fast. You call them up and they get you a service person to come out. They have to pick them. We had a problem with the air conditioning and there was a leak so they fixed the leak last week. And we came out this week to stay there and it was the same problems I had when I called the first time. I said we need them to get back out here and work on it and fix it. Now it’s gonna take another week for them to get out here.

I asked to speak to a manager and they just said if they got another person to come out sooner, I’d have to pay another service fee. And I said, “No. I’m not doing it. They didn’t get it fixed the first time why would I have to pay another service fee?” So they finally went ahead and said they’d wave the service fee but I’m still having to wait three days just to get a call from the new people that they’re gonna send out. That doesn’t mean they’re gonna come out and fix it. I just have to wait for them to call me. It’s a horrible company. So I’m never hiring them again. When my contract runs out I’ll be done with them because I’m not happy at all.

I called the contractor and said, “Well, it didn’t get fixed right.” And they said, “Well, we have to follow the procedures that 2-10 puts in place.” I was saying the procedure they have to follow would be to fix the problem. But they can’t do that. They fixed this one little tiny part but there's a leak is some place else. They should’ve checked it because when we got there yesterday, our place was up almost to 90 degrees and now they want us to stay there in that place until we’re almost done with our vacation before they send somebody else out. And then if they get to the next step of the procedure they can follow that but that doesn’t guarantee it gets fixed.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Barbara. We read through your claim experience and I am concerned to hear some of the events that have taken place. I have escalated this immediately to have our customer experience team. review your claim and hopefully generate a solution for you. Thank you for reaching out and offering feedback.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We knew about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty through our realtor. It's the warranty that she likes to use and she knows what she's doing so we trust her. We filed our claim through the phone and the people were great. They sent someone super fast. It was the same day and it was like within an hour. Our water heater sprung a leak and the contractor that came out were courteous and knowledgeable. He made a few phone calls for me to see if there was any warranty through the company that the water heater still had on it. He did some legworks so that was kind of nice. They did a good job overall. He came out within a week and replaced the part that was needed. Everything went smooth, and it was easy to submit the receipts for things. And the representative that I worked with for the most part on it called me and kept me informed to let me know when I should be receiving the reimbursement check and all of that.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Nicole. We love hearing that your water heater claim went so smoothly. Thank you for telling the world about your experience with our organization and thank you for choosing 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW) has been in business for more than 35 years and is the only company that provides a 10 year insurance-backed structural warranty for new construction and a Home Warranty Service Agreement protecting the home’s major systems and appliances. Based in Denver, the company has protected more than 5.5 million homes.

• Low service fee: 2-10 HBW charges a low service fee of about $50. Service fees are clearly stated on contracts so homeowners will never be surprised.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week and also request service online through the 2-10 HBW website.

• Structural warranties: Homebuilders can become 2-10 HBW members and then offer structural warranties on the homes they sell. These warranties can give sellers a competitive edge in a tight real estate market.

• Blog: The 2-10 HBW website includes a blog with free informational resources. There are posts to help homeowners, homebuilders and real estate agents.

• Online quotes available: 2-10 now offers a new ‘Get a Quote’ feature on their website where, within a few easy steps, builders, real estate professionals and homeowners can get a quote.

• Best for: builders, real estate professionals and homeowners.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information