Call toll free
3.40/5
Based on 1,337 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty provides homeowners financial protection, knowing the unexpected may be expensive. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

As an accredited home warranty company by the Better Business Bureau, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 5.8 million homes over 38 years.

"LONG LIVE HAPPY HOMES®" says it all.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has plans to cover appliances and systems for all homes and structural coverage for new homes. While coverage isn’t as extensive as other providers, 2-10’s plans are slightly more affordable than the competition.

PROS

• Structural warranties for new homes
  • Flexibility in selecting service providers
  • Provides essential coverage
  • Roof leak coverage available

CONS

• Service call fees can be high
  • Some state restrictions

Top 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Reviews

03/07/2019

The repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was also proactive and thought ahead for me. They were gonna be calling me back if I had any other problems.

02/28/2019

The air conditioning no longer blew hot air and the experience when I submitted the claim to 2-10 was fantastic. It was called in on a Friday and they said that I might not hear from the contractor until Monday but we heard from them on a Saturday. They were out within 24 hours.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty plans

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around the country peace of mind and financial protection, helping minimize the burden of costly repairs. A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty service agreement gives homeowners nationwide access to a network of more than 6,000 authorized, independent service contractors. They can also access an online Homeowner Portal to manage their account, request service and renew their service agreement.

• Systems and Appliances: With a Systems and Appliances plan, homeowners get the cost of a repair or replacement covered, including parts and labor, for one low service call fee.
  • Structural Warranty: With a Structural Warranty, homeowners can protect their new construction home for up to 10 years from structural damage.

2-10 services plans are not available in Alabama, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Oklahoma or Wyoming.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty cost

The average monthly cost for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty is $30–$40 for systems and appliances coverage. Your total cost will vary by plan and your selected service call fee, which range from $75–$100. Their monthly rate comes at a lower cost than the industry average, while their service call fee runs slightly high. If you select any add-on coverage, this will also increase your monthly payment.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage

The company’s Systems and Appliances service agreement covers the repair or replacement of major home systems and appliances, including parts and labor.

• AC/freon split system
  • Built-in microwave
  • Disposal
  • Trash compactor
  • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Available for home buyers, 2-10 offers optional coverage at an add-on rate for the following items: pre-season HVAC tune-up, extended pipe leak, roof leak, septic system, pool/spa equipment, water softener, well pump.

2-10 home warranty supreme protection: This add-on is available to real estate agents to add-on to a home buyers warranty. It adds protection for 40 additional items including appliances and plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems.

2970 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 13, 2019

We bought the house and it came with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty. When we bought the house, the person who did the home inspection said that the garbage disposal had a crack in it and that it would probably leak if it was full. I submitted a claim for the garbage disposal and it went fine. I called up and talked to a guy. He said it sounded like it was not working right. I was as certain as one can be without going in there and taking it out that it wasn’t working right. He said they would make an appointment and would get the person to contact me. The company called me very promptly the next day and said they will be out the next day. Everything was fine. The guy showed up and looked at the thing. He said there was no crack in it and it was not gonna leak and that home inspectors sometimes try to find every possible flaw.

Then, he said the garbage disposal was fine and that the problem was the drain pipe, which didn’t have enough pitch to it so that everything didn’t go the way it was supposed to go, and it could clog up. He also said there was nothing he could do about that since that was the way they were all built in this community. He even went out to the truck and brought a piece of plastic pipe and showed us what it looked like. Fundamentally, the only problem I had with the whole affair was that we paid 70 bucks for the guy to tell us that and do nothing. It was not a good experience.

He said maybe if he would call 2-10 up and tell them he didn’t do any work, he could maybe get me not to pay the thing. Then, I never heard from him again. I know that didn’t happen and I'm sure if he charged 2-10 something, then we are gonna have to pay that. On the whole, everything from 2-10's end was fine, but from the plumber’s end, it wasn’t. The thing turns on and we hear a sound, but when we tried it out and put some stuff in there, it backed up and it didn't seem like it wanted to go down the drain easily. We were afraid to use it. If it was potentially cracked and could leak, we wondered why not get somebody out here to do something about it. We figured he was gonna replace it, but he said it was a really nice unit and there was nothing he could do about the pipe.

There are two sinks. The garbage disposal is on one side and the other side is the plain drain, but the two things are straight across. When you use the garbage disposal, whatever you're disposing of has to go across the other drain, but it doesn’t go down. It goes up to get out of there, so I don’t see how anything could ever get out of there unless you were running a fire hose to it. He didn’t wanna try to change the drain when he found that the garbage disposal was okay, so his final statement was there was no solution to the problem.

At that point, my wife said what was the point of even having garbage disposal if I could not use it. We are very gingerly putting tiny things because the guy said we can put this and that. We got the list that is so long. He said no eggshells, no onions. What was the purpose of the advice if you couldn't do anything? I don’t know how much of that is true or not because I don’t know how every other home in this place is. The people who owned the house before have somehow lost or misplaced or didn’t have the black rubber, circular plunge that you use. The plumber brought one of those from the truck, so we could plunge the thing. Otherwise, if you plunge it, it is just gonna go back and forth between the two sinks. You have to close the other sink. He got that for us and we paid $70 for a stopper. Nonetheless, there is nothing wrong with the 2-10 part. The guy was very prompt.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Ted, we are happy to learn that you are satisfied with our organization. However, we appreciate your feedback on our contractor's performance. If you ever have an issue again with a contractor, please feel free send us a private message with your full property address or work order number, and a brief description of your experience, to our Facebook page www.facebook.com/210HBW. Thank you for your feedback and your continued support.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I've been with 2-10 for four years now. I always submit claims over the phone since their people are slow and I can only imagine that the website’s gonna be slow too. While they are not as fast as I would like, they rarely cause issues. If we have a problem, they work with us to get it fixed. They've taken care of whatever issues that arise for the most part. Most of their reps are always very nice, but individually they are not very good at empathizing with the customer. There are no exceptions and they handle things exactly the same way. A couple of years ago, my furnace was out for several days because the contractor assigned to my case wasn’t available until several days later. It was in the wintertime so unless we had a baby in the house, an elderly person or someone who was ill, there was no expediting of the order.

Recently, my dryer was not heating and it was a very long endeavor. The person who was supposed to show up on multiple occasions didn’t show up twice. When he came, it was just an inspection so he didn’t have the part that he needed. We scheduled him to come again the next day, and the part didn’t come in. We had to schedule again for him to come out. He came out and he finally had the part. My cousin took off work to meet him because I had taken off work four times to meet them. My cousin walked upstairs to grab something from his room, and as my cousin was walking back from his room, the guy was walking out the front door and he said that everything was good. We already paid him his service call on the very first visit because that's the way it works. My cousin tried to catch him, and when he went to try the dryer, it didn’t work. the contractor didn’t test it.

I followed up with the dispatcher and she asked me via text message if everything was working okay. She said to try a few more things, which we did and it still wasn’t working. She said to call 2-10 and say it’s still not working, and they will come back out. That rubbed me the wrong way because of the way that the contractor left. It’s already been a couple of weeks through this process. I called 2-10 and got escalated to a manager. I said that these people were trying to scam them. I had 2-10 reassign it to another person. He came out and wasn’t even in the house for 15 minutes but got the dryer fixed. There was a heat sensor in the back that popped and needed to be replaced.

Home warranty companies do not pay contractors very well. The types of contractors that they attract are oftentimes not clean-cut and are a little on the rougher side. I warned my cousin to make sure that he was keeping an eye on them because sometimes they're not always incentivized to do their very best. It could be 2-10’s fault also because they're hiring hobos to come work on people’s stuff. But 2-10 themselves have always been gracious. After the second people came out, the dryer has been working as expected.

I’ve had a more recent service call, except I didn’t file it with 2-10. I was going to, but it’s been so cold here in Indiana and I'm home sick so I cannot wait. For some reason, my furnace wasn’t lighting. They said that I can go out of network, then they’ll reimburse me later based on the amount that they pay. I found someone in town who could come out the next day instead of later that week. And because the fix was easy, their service call was only $75 instead of the $100 that I was gonna pay 2-10. I didn’t file it with them because it’s $25 cheaper than what I would've paid them anyway.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi Ben, we are happy to learn that you are satisfied with our organization. However, we appreciate your feedback on our contractors' performance. If you ever have an issue again with a contractor, please feel free send us a private message with your full property address or work order number, and a brief description of your experience, to our Facebook page www.facebook.com/210HBW. Thank you for your feedback and your continued support.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

About two weeks ago, an issue when my garbage disposal came up. When I got the call to make an appointment, I asked the lady at the plumbing company to call me 30 minutes prior to coming over. But I got sick and she actually sent her plumber to my home when I was sick. They were literally in my driveway and I was at the doctor’s office getting something. But it was fine. The lady was apologetic and when I asked if they could come out the next week, she said, “Of course.” But then I got called out of town on business and they showed up at the house again without calling.

The lady called me a couple of days later and let me have it. She told me that she had saved my voicemail where I switched the point of time. I told her that yes, that was when I told them I was gonna be out of town and to call my roommate. My roommate was supposed to show up but he was like, “I'm not gonna sit around the house if a company is not gonna call me and tell me when they're gonna be on their way.” And no one called him. But the lady had the audacity to call me and tell me that if they came back to my house, I would have to pay the other fee. She made it sound like we deliberately stood them up and she was quick to point out that I wasn’t there and that I owed her a $75 extra fee. I told her that I didn’t mind paying one fee. It was my kind of fault that my roommate wasn’t there. But I told her that the first time was their fault and I was not paying them two fees.

I even had to relate with her. I told her that my dad is a contractor and she said, “Well, with your dad being a contractor, you should know to be in the house if someone comes.” But I told her that my dad always calls his client before coming over. Besides, I specifically asked them to call me. I told her I had no control with me getting sick then she said, “Well, when you're feeling better and your roommate or whoever is there, then you can call us back.” But I thought I didn’t have to deal with her to begin with. I’m not that stupid. I’ve always had a warranty on my house and I was dealing with the warranty company. I called 2-10 and the representative said that the contractor was not gonna charge them and to let them know if the contractor overcharged us. I told the rep that I almost didn’t wanna deal with the contractor but I would call and reschedule. I did call but the contractor never called me back.

Gwendolyn from 2-10 called me a week ago and asked if the garbage disposal had gotten fixed. I said that it was still broken. She told me that the lady from the plumbing company had called and complained that I stood them up twice. I guess the lady didn’t know that I had called 2-10 in the interim. I told Gwendolyn it was an absolute lie but that I would use the contractor again because the garbage disposal needed to be fixed. She was a kind young lady and she told me to call them back if I would need another plumber.

But a couple of days later, my dad came by and he reached down in the garbage disposal. I didn’t think he was supposed to do that but he did it. He said that someone had dropped some bolts from the countertop. It fell in the garbage disposal and that was what the grinding noise was. I thought the garbage disposal was bad. But the garbage disposal has been fixed and I never re-called the lady from the plumbing company to reschedule. Based on her attitude, I wouldn’t have used her anyway. But that’s literally the only thing that has happened. Otherwise, I’ve had a good experience with 2-10 and I have been very happy with them.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you so much for your review, Arthur. We are disheartened to read about the way this service provider handled your claim. We apologize for any stress they may have caused you, and we appreciate your communication with our staff throughout this process. Our escalations team has received your feedback and will investigate this contractor further. If you need any additional support, please send us a direct message on either our Facebook or Yelp pages, and we will be happy to assist.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

When I was buying my house, 2-10 was referred to me. I researched a little bit, compared them to a couple of others, and decided to go with them instead of anybody else. We renewed it for our second term four months ago. The claim process was very well and the website was simple which should be because you don’t need a lot of stuff to do. You sign on and it tells to file a claim and what you wanna claim. If you get to the very end of the list and what you click is wrong, you might have to type a couple of sentences in. Then, you’re done and you submit a claim.

I was pleasantly surprised because I submitted four claims, and in the first year, we bought a new house and there were features that we wanted. It had expensive kitchen appliances but they were six years old. It had a 13-year old heating unit and aluminum wiring electric. It had things that I needed to watch that were all in good shape. So, when I needed to do something, I went in and hoped that it works good on our first one. Lo and behold, it didn’t work. They were responsive when you put it online and you get a phone call or an email right back which says the person has been notified and that the company was on the way and gonna call. It’s an interactive website that works both ways.

If I file a claim and it's picked up on their end, they send out to their vendor to come to my house and service it. They always tell me who my vendor is, their phone number and when they're gonna be there. They send that email and then the vendor makes the contact, so it's monitored well on the backside. It does no good if I file a claim and nobody's monitoring it. The customer service was okay and took care of us with what we needed to do. It's 100 bucks for someone to come out to my place. They came out and looked at the electric once and my air conditioner once. Fixed it both times for 100 bucks. My refrigerator was acting up, they came out three times and didn't charge me for the second two times because the people couldn't fix it. They decided that the fridge can't be fixed and they bought it out. They didn’t like it because it was an expensive fridge, so they paid a good bit of money for it. That worked really well.

I had a plumbing issue and I called 2-10. They called a plumbing company, who I never heard of before. Usually, I would google that company to make sure that it's a real company. I ended up talking to a supervisor for operations or customer service, but they took note of it. The guy came out, tried to fix my plumbing, and he couldn't fix it. He left and he said he would be back but he never comes back. I called the plumbing company and they said they were kinda busy and would get back to me and be out here the next day. The same guy came back with a new snake and he ran it through the drain. He couldn't fix it, and I asked where he wanted to go. He said he gotta go up on the roof and go through the thing, and they were not allowed to do that. The guy was nice but on the way out the door, he said he was not even really a plumber but a helper they sent out to fill the order.

I called 2-10, and they were very reactive to it. I gave them a brief story and a supervisor called me back and asked if I was serious. He told me to tell him what happened and I told him. I have a warranty, so we don't just call people helter skelter and somebody just comes out, and we don't know who we're talking to or who's coming into my house. One of the reasons we have a warranty is because they hire vendors that are under a contract. They have to provide certain things and they’re vetted in a certain way. 2-10 called me and then I asked them how they were gonna fix it if the guy, who was not a plumber, came here to fix that clogged drain, and did $10,000 worth of damage to my house. 2-10 was very cool and said that they would stand by that.

We talked a little bit about vetting people and whoever I talked to must have been high up because he knew about running a business. They used some of the same things I used to vet people, and I do a lot of stuff for military bases, and a lot of stuff in high-security areas, so they even use some of the tools I use. We had a long conversation, and they were very receptive to it. So, all in all, I was disappointed that that one slipped through the cracks.

They had six or seven service calls at my house in one year. One time it was right after a storm, literally after a hurricane in Jacksonville, Florida here. They sent an electrical company and the guy came out, gave us good advice, did good work and was very professional. It was the same with the air conditioning guy. I knew that company that the plumbing company slipped through, and it got me kinda upset but I ended up renewing with 2-10 because the price was right. I didn't mind it at all.

I was talking with my wife and I told her that we could put the average cost of something, work that formula, put $6,000 or $7,000 in a bank or in the IRA, then if something happens, that's enough for a down payment to fix the most expensive thing in our house such as the roof, an air conditioner or a swimming pool pump. I can get the roof’s down payment to get it started for six grand and then pay it off the next week, and that was our plan. We didn’t need to pay a warranty plan. However, on the first year, we wanted it to make sure there were no bugs in the house. We paid our own home inspector, and we did all of that before we bought it, but we still felt comfortable having that.

When it got around to renewal time, we said that they did a good enough job that they’ve earned our business. They shouldn’t take it lightly when somebody says that and they gotta fix that issue. That was very upsetting to my wife when she found out that guy was in our house twice, and he wasn't even a plumber and he had no paperwork to show he was a plumber. You gotta take that away from them, it was not their fault, but that was their vendor issue which was a major responsibility. When you send a technician to a house, he has to be a technician. Not the shop guy working out at the halfway house for $10 an hour. Whoever goes out to a house, there's gotta be a background check. Nevertheless, they've done very well and I would recommend them to somebody.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for thorough and well-written review, Scott. We are honored to have received another chance at your business after the mistake we made with your contractor. We are very sorry for your experience and we appreciate you sticking with us to see us do better next time.

Original review: July 31, 2018

When we bought the house, the realtor told us about 2-10 and the home warranty was added on extra with the purchase. We've been covered since 2012 and we really like them. We haven’t had any problems whatsoever. That’s why we renew every year. The experience in submitting claims has been very good. Everyone’s always been very nice and helpful, and even if I have an emergency or after-hour situation, I always get through. My husband said that especially even if it’s on a Saturday, they’re always nice.

We have had some nightmares with technicians though. We have had multiple air conditioner problems and the technicians were as far away as Denver even though we live in Jacksonville, which is a city of over a million people. At least on two separate occasions, they dispatched an air conditioning company in Orlando, which is a four-hour drive from us. That was unbelievable to me.

This company didn't come out the same day and when they came up from Orlando, they looked at our air conditioner and needed to order a part so they had to get 2-10’s approval to do that. So they went back down there. Then the part took three weeks to get in and we were dying. It just so happened that it was in the spring. The temperature was not over 90 degrees, but it was in the 80s. It was really hot and uncomfortable. I kept calling to find out the status of things and that was when I found out that this company was in Orlando. The 2-10 rep said they had no idea and that the company had said that they take calls from Jacksonville. I was like, "Oh my God. Are you kidding me? We’re dying here.”

And the contractor was horrible. They were rude to us. Every time I would call and complain, we kept getting farther down on the list for getting serviced. I told 2-10 to never use that company again. They were the worst in the world. 2-10 told me that I could go on the website and make notes about the vendors. But I was so frustrated. I didn't wanna do that. At that time, I just wanted our air conditioner fixed. A year later, we had a different problem with our air conditioner and I called 2-10. They put out the call to somebody else in another city. There were air conditioning companies 10 minutes from our house. They didn't need to send somebody from another town to us.

There was another situation. It was a deal with Metro-Rooter. Our hot water heater wasn't working and the water went everywhere in our garage. So I called 2-10 and they did the same thing again. They got a hold of somebody that lives in the next town over. Why would they dispatch somebody that’s in a different town? It made no sense and they didn't get that. I told them that was not gonna work and that we had used another plumbing company in the past. Since it was on a weekday, I told the rep I would put the call on hold and called the company from my husband's phone to find out if they would accept 2-10 Home Warranty. The company's rep said they do so I went back on the other phone and told this lady that we wanna use Metro-Rooter. But she said that Metro-Rooter was not one of their approved vendors.

I told her that I have the Metro-Rooter rep on the other phone and she said that they had done visits with 2-10 Home Warranty many times. So we went back and forth and Metro-Rooter's rep said that they were doing business under some other name, Mr. Rooter. I was in the middle of two phones on either ear and I finally told this woman at 2-10 how to find Metro-Rooter in their database. Then she got everything approved and changed the vendor from the one that was out of town to Metro-Rooter. Metro-Rooter came out and replaced our hot water heater for $500. But everything else has been great. There is a slight room for improvement. But overall, we’re very satisfied.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Debbie. Thank you for the thorough review and 4 star rating. We appreciate your extensive feedback on our service contractors. It sounds like there are a lot of ways we can improve recruitment in your region. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience so that we can make the appropriate adjustments moving forward. Thank you for still seeing the value in our services despite some of these issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had 2-10 when we bought our house two years ago as recommended by our realtor. I had the warranty for the year and then we had let it drop. But recently they helped us sell my husband’s grandmother’s house and our agent was saying, “You should really look at getting it back.” And it has been worth it so far since they need to replace the entire ac unit for me. Normally, those things cost several thousand dollars. The people themselves has been great, but they also have some kinks in their system.

I originally put their service request through the website, and it was because both of my air handlers were having trouble. So I had somebody come out and look at both. Before they could complete the work, I had to call back in and get a second claim number because there was one separate for each unit. I didn’t even know I had to do that until the AC guys informed me. They couldn’t do it themselves. So I had to call in. That was kind of an inconvenience. I specifically listed two units when I put the ticket in online. Why didn’t anybody inform me or why wasn’t it split into two claim numbers at that time?

2-10 had our downstairs unit replaced, as well as the coil on the upstairs. And when they checked again there appears to be a leak somewhere in the line on the wall that wasn’t apparent when they first came in. It’s a smaller leak. So, I’m still trying to figure out how to get that done because the AC guy suspects that when we had our siding installed last year, somebody may have punctured the line with a nail. So, I’m also trying to work with the siding company

2-10 has to be the one to order the part and it takes longer. I’ve been without AC around a month. And from when I checked in with the AC guys at one point, they said that a part had to be reordered and that it was cancelled when they ordered it. I understand 2-10’s doing the purchasing and they’re probably getting a discount since they’re purchasing en masse, but it’s that time period because the AC guys have to wait on that from 2-10.

Original review: May 21, 2019

When I called 2-10 to make a claim for appliances, it didn’t work to make a claim. I had to pay $100 for a technician to come and do a repair. They also told me if the appliance didn’t work next time and it is not related to that repair, I have to pay another $100. It didn’t work for me to pay $100 when I can buy then use the appliance with an almost similar price. So, even though I had the appliance problem, I didn’t use the warranty. Thankfully, I didn’t have any other things breaking.

Original review: May 21, 2019

2-10 provides good coverage. However, when submitting a claim with them, it's a little difficult to get an actual person on the phone. The automated system is complicated and you have to keep going around and around and around. When I made a claim for the washer, I was contacted the very next day with the guy to do the repairs. He came out to diagnose the problem so that happened quickly. But once he ordered the part, it took about three weeks to get it. 2-10 did not update us on what was going on but the company that they contracted to do the work did. When they finally got the part, the contractors did an excellent job. They scheduled me as soon they had the part and as soon as they could get in, and they fixed it.

I'm very happy with the coverage that 2-10 provided and I'm happy that the company that they contacted to do the work was competent. Overall, that experience was satisfactory but it could be better. If they could've gotten the parts more quickly, then I wouldn't have had to struggle going to the laundromat for three weeks. They were common parts and weren't special.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I recently submitted a claim online to 2-10 for my plumbing and it took a day for the contactor to come out. He was great and I was impressed with how knowledgeable he was. We didn't know anything about plumbing so, he explained in a way that we could understand. Since the repair, everything has been great.

Original review: May 21, 2019

There was a bit of a mix-up when I submitted a claim. And when I called 2-10 back to verify, they did not understand what I was saying. I originally did the claim online and the process was kind of difficult because where I thought that my problem should be listed, it was in its own separate category, which was weird to me. I was having an issue with clogged drains. And instead of being under sewer, it was under its own category called snaking. They were asking for further information but it didn’t make sense for my issue. And then, I saw snaking after a while. The problem was not resolved and I had difficulty securing follow-up appointments with the contractor. So I had to go with somebody else to fix the issue, and they were able to fix it for less. Also, it is unfortunate that bigger ticket items are not covered bu 2-10, like for the cleanout.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have 2-10 since 2014 and recently, I submitted my claim to them over the phone. My interaction with their reps was positive and they sent the contractor out within a day or two, which was pretty quick. Then, the tech who came out took care of what we needed and the air conditioner's performance since then has been good.

Original review: May 20, 2019

My recent claim experience with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty was good. I did it with a person and their customer service was alright. Also, the contractor was cool, but what I needed wasn’t covered by my insurance. The claim was for a flue pipe. I had to pay for them to come out here and look at it. Then, I had to pay for what was not covered. I was a little sad, but the insurance is still good to have. 2-10 can come in handy another time.

Original review: May 20, 2019

2-10 can do better as far as explaining what things are covered and what’s not covered. We had a broken water bibb outside that was connected from my house to the outside, and 2-10 said it wasn’t covered because it was not on the foundation. But other than that, everything that we had claimed was done well. When I file a claim, 2-10 would give me the name of the company handling the claim and the callback number to follow through on the claim order. My experience has been all right. They also gave me a discount for our yearly renewal because we’ve had them since day one.

Original review: May 20, 2019

2-10 provided an adequate service but some of the communication could've been a bit easier. Sometimes, the online process would work, but more often than not, their website wasn't specific enough for me to submit a claim. It would ask me which system I was gonna submit a request for and when I would pick a system, it would have a list of things to submit for. Then, if the specific item that I wanted to submit a claim for wasn't in one of the options on their lists, it wasn't always clear how to submit my different claim.

When I would have to contact them via phone, it was a very frustrating phone system to go through. When I actually got a hold of a person on the phone, they were all very nice and helpful for the most part. Still, they should make the process a little easier to get a hold of a person on the phone when submitting or asking questions about a claim. I would have to go through the phone and choose options that I know would send me to a person, even though those are not the actions that I needed. Then, when I got to a person on the phone, sometimes I had to be transferred to the appropriate one.

They also told me that the contractor has 24 hours to contact me and that they're supposed to come out within 48 hours. But I had an issue once with somebody calling me when he was supposed to contact me in the first day or two. I contacted 2-10 back and they sent the claim to somebody different. Other than that, all the contractors who came out were good.

All in all, 2-10 wasn't great but they weren't terrible. They were just kind of indifferent. The warranty also served its purpose for what I needed for that year but I wasn't necessarily eager to renew with them. In fact, I hadn't renewed in any home warranty and if I were to renew again, I'm not so sure I would go with 2-10. I would pick somebody else.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Our home is an original build year of 1996 and with homes that are a bit older in age, it seems to be a more standard practice with home buyers to acquire a home warrant. We were using standard market practice of acquiring a home warranty at the time of purchase. The home seller selected 2-10. Submitting a claim with them has been convenient. It’s been simple and I like that 2-10 has the tendency to offer a voucher or a refund towards the replacement of the appliance. It's kind of leaving it at the discretion of the consumer. A home that’s old also has a tendency to have older appliances. So, that’s been a convenient feature of 2-10.

So going to the future, if I have to make a choice, that’s probably one of their market differentiators. And I would choose 2-10 almost exclusively because of that benefit of giving the consumer the option to replace appliances at their discretion versus having to go through a long deed of process of break-fix. We’ve had that experience with a different home warranty supplier. Every time that I had a problem with an appliance, it was not for a repair. I just opted immediately to replace the appliance, and that was really convenient. It saved a lot of time of having to go through and have someone come out and troubleshoot, and then essentially, wait to see if the appliance works.

I would like to see the voucher extend to every single appliance under the home warranty. So for example, I wanted the over-the-range microwave that I also wanted to replace to match the range that I selected to replace. There is nothing wrong with the microwave that was originally there. I just wanted it to match the room. So I didn’t had option with the microwave. I only had the option of having a technician come out. So in order to not falsify any information in regards to the microwave, I did not put any input for the microwave and I just kind of paid full price for the microwave. Other than that, 2-10 Warranty is a fantastic service. Our overall experience is very good.

Original review: May 19, 2019

It's easier to submit claims with 2-10 on the phone if you wanna talk to someone and I'd rather talk to someone. But it is a bit of a pain in the butt to get to that person. After waiting and going through an automated system, you end up talking to someone who will ask you the same questions all over again and I don't like that. But other than that, they are good. Recently, I had a claim for the heating system and the tech they sent out was really nice. He was thoughtful and he adjusted his time for me.

Original review: May 19, 2019

2-10's claims process over the phone was good. It was easy and I have no complaints. The contractor was responsive and the guy was pretty informative when he came out.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I've been using 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty for fifteen and a half years, and have had a good experience. Submitting claims is fairly simple. I would usually call on the phone and the reps have been very helpful. I would tell them what has happened and they would send somebody out. Usually, they would tell me that someone is gonna call within 24 hours. The interactions with their contractor have all gone well, except for the one time we weren’t pleased with the provider they sent. The provider was horrible and when 2-10 tried to intercede, they were horrible to 2-10 on the phone as well.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Previously, I had another company that was no good and someone told me that 2-10 is really good. I went with them and submitting claims has been pretty good so far. However, I'm wondering what's going on with my microwave above the stove. It has been two and a half weeks. The contractor came by and looked at the microwave. He saw some burnt spots and he said that I needed a new one. He recommended it for replacement to 2-10. The just have to make sure they can find a replacement.

I have a second problem with my air conditioner and it has been two and a half weeks as well and I haven't heard much of anything. When I checked, somebody sent 2-10 the wrong number and I'm still waiting on it. Whatever is inside the air conditioning unit has been given the okay to be replaced but I haven't been given any date. I would have thought that the contractor for both the AC and the microwave would have at least called to let me know that it was gonna take another five or seven business days to locate what needed to be located and they'll be in touch by then. I can't just take off any day to be there and meet the techs.

Another issue I had was for the washer and dryer but after bugging 2-10, I finally got them to replace that but I'm still waiting on the microwave and AC. I'm trying to get these items in the house before somebody moves in on the first week of June. I already renewed for the next year. 2-10 came through for the washer and dryer. If they can come through for the microwave and AC unit, I'd do a commercial for them. I've been telling everybody to go to 2-10.

Original review: May 18, 2019

2-10 is a professional company. They have been around for as long as I can remember as a real estate agent and I’ve been doing this for 30 years. We have several properties that we manage and some of them have 2-10 warranties. When we have a claim, we either go online or call in to submit it and the reps we talked to so far were very polite and cordial. We didn't have any difficulty dealing with them. Normally, we'd get an expectation of when the contractor’s gonna call us, which is about 24 hours, and that would be met depending on the claim. For some plumbing and AC claims, it depends on what the contractors' schedule would be and some of them have been very lax and didn’t get to us immediately. We also normally call 2-10 and complain if we don't get a good contractor.

As for the service provided, we’ve had some very good service and some very lousy service from 2-10's contractors. But they would normally fix the issues for us. The last one that we had was for a plumbing issue and the techs from C & P Plumbing went out to the property and did an evaluation. They were very responsive and good contractors. Right now, they are waiting to go back because they needed access to a pipe they couldn't get to and we had to hire another contractor to give them access.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Our experience with 2-10 has been nothing short of completely awful. We put in a work order for a non- working AC upstairs on March 26. They tried replacing one part but it didn’t work. The contractor (who has been great) recommended replacing the unit. 2-10 initially said they would to both us and the contractor. Then radio silence for over a week. When we called to find out what was going on, they changed their mind and wanted to try another part. Which no one ever ordered. We were told multiple times the part was ordered, but it never was. Even the contractor couldn’t get them to order the part.

Finally in MAY they ordered the part and tried to put it, but but it still didn’t work as the contractor predicted and the unit condemned. Then they only ordered one of two parts of the unit, so here we are, heading towards June, still with no AC. I’m writing this awake in a bedroom in Georgia that’s 85 degrees. Oh, and I’m 6 months pregnant. No one at 2-10 cares. Go with American Home Shield. I’ve used them before. They actually replaced a bad furnace for me in what I thought were 3 long weeks. 3 weeks would be a pipe dream with 2-10.

Original review: May 17, 2019

!!!BUYERS BEWARE, IF YOU DON’T READ ANY FURTHER, PLEASE DON’T PURCHASE 2-10!!!! Today (5/16/2019), I contacted 2-10 HBW to request reimbursement for an urgent furnace repair. My furnace went out at 3am and I called a certified HVAC Company to do urgent repairs. It was 40 degrees out and dropping and I have a newborn. The repairs were done. They first replace the igniter, then realized I had a bad board. I paid for the repairs as it was urgent $816.00 for both items.

When explaining this situation to the customer service representative, I received a scripted response. I was informed, “I was to contact them before getting repairs.” Now, to a reasonable or at least a compassionate person you would understand that a newborn needs HEAT. No responsible parent is going to call 2-10 and wait for them to send a appraiser to authorize a repair. As other writers have complained this is a long process. THEY WANTED MY INFANT TO REMAIN IN THE COLD FOR PROFIT MARGINS.

I escalated my complaint to a Supervisor **(ID **). He gave the same scripted response and referenced my contract. I informed him I did not receive a contract, nor sign anything. This was a seller Home Warranty purchased for the buyer. He informed me “they” should have given me the warranty information. Now, what business relies on an independent 3rd party individual (not even company) to deliver information. To date, I still do not have a contract or warranty information

This is an absolute poor business model. Management should be terminated, Board disbanded, and properly investigated for fraud. They took the sellers money, added my name to the contract, but I did not sign anything nor did they forward me anything! However, when you need them they quickly find a way to escape any liability. Simply put a terrible business and a terrible business model as relayed on this message board. FRAUDULENT COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I've been with 2-10 for seven years and every time whenever I’ve had an issue, customer service has been very courteous and helpful. They’ve always set me up with a date and time, and it’s worked out. I’ve never had any issues. Yesterday, they called because my payment was declined because I haven’t had any sufficient fund. They've been keeping me updated so it won’t affect my credit reports. I was able to pay it online. It’s a good program and I’m gonna continue to use it.

If I have an issue, I’ll just go ahead and call the 1-800 number. At that point, I get the automated telephone service. And then after that, I speak to a representative. They tell me if I haven’t heard anything within the next 72 hours, call this person and this company. And the contractors come out here within the next 48 hours and fix it. And if they’re running late, they call me up and tell me to make sure that somebody’s home and we’re not wasting anybody’s time.

The claims process is pretty good. I pay a copay, $75, which is okay. It’ll probably cost me way more money if I didn’t have any warranty like 2-10. And I’m sure there are other companies out there that are either cheaper or expensive. But, since we’ve been a first customer with 2-10 in the beginning process when I bought this house, it’s easy for me to go ahead and set up a claim with them.

Original review: May 17, 2019

2-10 was a warranty that was gifted to us when we bought the house, and it was convenient that we stayed with the company. For the most part, it’s been pretty good. I just didn't like this last service that I received because they didn't repair the issue. Up until this last one that came, I was very pleased with the technician that they had sent out.

For some of my previous issues, they have been able to replace or repair my product, or service was really good. This last time, the first time my water heater went out, the plumber that they sent was not at all interested in completing the job. I don't think 2-10 should at all work with them. That guy was completely useless. You could tell he definitely did not want the job. It was too hard for him, and he did everything he could to avoid it. In fact, he pretty much didn't even respond back to me. I had to call 2-10 back two days later to say, “Hey, I still don’t have a hot water heater.”

The second one that they sent out was really good. He was the one that actually had an eye for what needed to be done and gave me some good advice. It was just a long, dwelling process that I did not appreciate. When I called 2-10 with this last issue, one representative told me this, and then the next time I called, it was something different. When we finally decided to do the buy-out, the representative said it only offered like $300. I told her that was ridiculous. She gave me an option to think about it for two days. That was emotional because I was already a week without hot water and they still wanna tell me two more days. It was horrible. Nevertheless, we got through it. I’m still satisfied.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I submitted a claim for my dishwasher online to 2-10 Home Buyers. The process was very easy and their contractor came out the next day. He was very professional and I would trust him again. However, he ordered the part and he never told me the part was coming to my house. He said that the part was coming in Saturday so he would set up an appointment for Monday. I asked him why don't we wait until the part comes in. So, I waited 1 to 5 on Monday because I thought the part was coming to him. The next day, I called Sears and said asked why didn't anybody show. That's when the guy on the phone said, "Oh, you weren't told the part comes to your house?" So, 2-10 had to reschedule.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We had an issue with our refrigerator and it was easy to submit the claim online with 2-10. They were great and their communication was fantastic. But the contractor that they sent out sucked. They were terrible and 2-10 should never use them again. They came out two days later and they took our $100 for the service fee but didn’t do anything like they were supposed to.

We were at work at the time but my aunt was here and she said that they were rude, disrespectful to her, and very condescending when talking to her. She also said that they told her what the problem was and that we were gonna have to fix the problem on our own because it was not covered by the warranty. But all it was was a leaky hose and it is covered. So now, we cannot have ice in our refrigerator at all because the water is leaking and if I turn it on, then it leaks all over our floor. We could go get a brand new hose on our own and not wait on 2-10, but to me, that seems pretty stupid to do when we paid for the home warranty and they should have fixed it to begin with.

We paid for the more expensive warranty, so we’ve been waiting on the techs to come back out. We’ve communicated with that service multiple times on our availability and the only time that they would come out was when we weren’t available. It’s been the worst thing and they still haven't fixed the refrigerator. But the other person that 2-10 sent out for the electricity was fine.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Recently, our AC was out again. Submitting the claim with 2-10 was easy. I just called in, hit two or three buttons, and it was done. We submitted the claim yesterday morning and around 6 o’clock, we got a call from the contractor. They're coming today at 3:00. So, it's not long at all for someone to be scheduled to come out. A few weeks ago, we had a problem with the same AC unit, and the same contractor came back out. We had to wait a few more days for them and it was a little warmer at the time too so it was a little more unbearable. Also, it wasn’t covered under the warranty. We will probably end up having to get a whole unit ‘cause this is the second time in two months that we’ve had to call somebody.

Original review: May 16, 2019

We are Realtors, so we have known about 2-10 professionally for longer than I can remember. I've had direct experience with other warranty companies that were less satisfactory than the 2-10 for the most part. So, 2-10 is the one we tend to promote most often and that’s the one we’ve had on our personal property for a number of years. But my last experience with them was decidedly not positive.

We have an older air conditioning system because we bought an older house. When the air conditioning system stopped functioning, so we called in for a claim. We were notified that the claim was gonna be denied because the system was too old and it had rusted out, and there were inferences that we didn’t take proper care of it. Long story short, we had to go through a long, involved, appeal process, and we finally got as a concession to our professional support of 2-10 as Realtors but not as homeowners, a settlement that was ultimately a fair one. But we had to go through three weeks of combat.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My claim with 2-10 went great. My mom was watching the house. We were out of town on a cruise, and she did it online. The contractor came quick and he ended up having to come back because they had to do a replacement.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I’ve been working with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty for at least six years. I’m a real estate agent and I handle my clients' claims with them. Lately, we’ve been setting up an online account for buyers and helping them work through submitting the claim online but in the past, I would typically call 2-10. I love their service reps. Interacting with them has been a good experience, but my experience submitting claims has been varied, mainly because of the contractors.

It's difficult stuff and I have an added layer of a challenge. A lot of my clients don't have English as their first language so I help them with the claims. They make the appointment during the times that I'm with them so a lot of times, I add myself and my number there, but even with that, they simply have a hard time making that initial connection with the contractors. I had a client from last year that had four claims and they were not happy meeting the contractors. Still, I’ve had a great experience with 2-10 and it’s better than other companies I’ve looked at.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage exclusions

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty covers the failure of systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. Pre-existing conditions will only be considered for coverage if they were unknown and could not have been detected by visual inspection or simple mechanical test. 2-10’s service agreement does not cover damage due to misuse or abuse or natural disasters. They also won’t handle hazardous materials, like asbestos.

As is typical with most home warranties, 2-10 does not cover cosmetic defects. In the event a replacement item is provided, there are no guarantees they’ll match the existing brand and color of your current item.

Code violations and haul away services are only covered with the Supreme Protection add-on and HVAC Plus plan add-on. Commercial appliances are not covered under the warranty.

There may also be item-specific exclusions. These will be listed in your contract, so be sure to look for these and understand your coverage. Often, parts and components deemed non-essential to the core function of the item may be excluded. For example, while most of your kitchen appliances may be covered, parts like glass, shelves and accessories may not be covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty coverage limits

2-10 Home Buyer’s Warranty lists the maximum aggregate liability for all claims in a contract term at $25,000. This is one of the higher limits we’ve seen. There is also an item specific limit on certain appliances and systems. This is the maximum 2-10 will pay for the repair or replacement of the item within one contract term.

Item2-10’s coverage limit
Built-in or sealed refrigeration units$2,500
Faucet repair and/or replacement$150/faucet
Toilet replacement, in the event of sediment/ calcium build-up$300/toilet
Limited roof leak$1,000/term
Septic system$500/term
Swimming pool$1,000/term
Well pump$500/term
Steam, hot water heat, hydronic systems, geothermal and water source systems, air conditioners, high-velocity systems$1,500/term
Concealed or concrete encased items pertaining to ductwork, water, gas, drain, piping, leaks, breaks and wiring$500/term
*Limits subject to change. Check your service agreement for up-to-date numbers

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty.

Can I choose my own service provider?

Maybe. In the event that a 2-10 authorized contractor is unavailable, you may be able to select your own technician. The technician will diagnose the problem and then call 2-10 for prior authorization before beginning the work.

Is there a cancellation fee for 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Yes. A $25 processing fee will be applied to your cancellation. Cancellation within 30 days entitles you to a full-refund less this fee, while cancellation after 30 days will receive a pro-rated refund. Cancellation must be submitted in writing via email.

How do I request a service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Claims can be submitted online through the 2-10 homeowner portal or by calling their toll-free number. Both methods are available 24/7, and you can log in to the homeowners portal to check the status of your request at any time. To request service from 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty:

1. Submit a claim to 2-10.
  2. 2-10 will assign and dispatch a service contractor.
  3. Dispatched contractor will diagnose and repair the item if it’s covered under your warranty.
  4. You will pay the service call fee.

Emergency service: In emergency situations, 2-10 will make every effort to expedite a technician to your home within 24 hours.

Is 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty worth it?

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty gives homeowners around-the-clock peace of mind should something in their home break. In business for nearly four decades, the company has accrued valuable experience taking care of homeowners around the country. Homeowners should be prepared to pay a service call fee for each separate service request. Overall, we found the pricing fair and the coverage adequate, if a little less comprehensive than other plans available. If you’re looking for straightforward coverage of your major systems and appliances, 2-10 should fit the bill.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information