It's that easy Request Information
2.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty provides homeowners financial protection, knowing the unexpected may be expensive. With a home warranty, when a system (heater, air conditioner, hot water heater) or appliance (refrigerator, stove, microwave) break due to normal wear and tear, homeowners are offered budget protection to complete the eligible repair. Seven out of every ten homes will experience a system or appliance failure yearly.

As an accredited home warranty company by the Better Business Bureau, 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty has protected more than 5.8 million homes over 38 years.

"LONG LIVE HAPPY HOMES®" says it all.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Gallery (6)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

2222 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

2-10 was the best option that our realtor gave us and they've been great so far. I submitted a claim and then they called me the next day, so it was really easy. The gentleman that came was really nice. We even chitchatted for a little bit, and he fixed my exhaust fan and left within 15 to 20 minutes. Now it's working perfect.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

When we built the house, 2-10 was part of our home warranty. Our experience submitting a claim was fine. We do it over the phone. In general, it takes a while for a contractor to call and actually show up because of their schedule. We had canceled a service request because we needed to go ahead and transfer it to a rebate since somebody is moving in with us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Our hot water heater began leaking, water was brown, and smelled. We had to pull the floor up changed multiple valves but no changes and still had water leaking. The tank was flushed several times. Still brown and smelled. Filed a claim, after doing so Website states, (you will be contacted during Monday-Friday by the contractors normal business hours for service). We tried to be smart and not risk further water issues to our house and since it was the weekend we went out and bought a replacement tank... No harm no foul right. Well with all the photos and evidence of a bad tank 2-10 wouldn't even consider any reimbursement for the new tank. I guess we should have dealt with a bad leaking, brown water smelling tank, and had more damage done to our floors waiting on the contractor. What a sorry service to have. Sadly it is almost time for us to renew and I highly we will be doing so! This was just terrible!

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Sharita. Unfortunately, unless you receive prior approval from our team, it is against our policies to authorize any type of reimbursement. Since you went outside of your service agreement to replace your unit, our contract with you does not allow for us to provide any coverage on your unit. However, since you seem upset by this rule, we will escalate your review to see if there is anything we can do to make you feel better about the situation. If there is any way for us to remedy this claim, we will give you a call.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We have been using 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty over the last eight years. We had them through our real estate agent and then we had just continued using 2-10 while we were at that home. Eventually, we also got one for our new home when we purchased it about three or four years ago. When we initially had them, 2-10 was pretty quick as far as response to any issues that we're having. They were able to send somebody out in a quick and timely manner. It wasn't overly expensive annually for us to buy the warranty either, let alone the deductible. We were able to get that at a decent price too.

Submitting claims to them has been easy because I can just go online and do it. It's pretty user-friendly. However, they ask a lot of information that I'm not necessarily sure where to get because every system or appliance is different. Also, they don't necessarily have a way that describes where you can get the information from and it's kinda hard to find that information out. I understand why they're only doing that because based on what we're describing the issue to be, they can have the technician already have the necessary parts that they need when they come here.

The technicians that they normally sent out are local companies, which is good, because they use local small businesses to do the contract work. It has been great having these companies come out. Thus far, I have recommended 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty to people, whether they're in the process of buying a home, they're in an older home, or looking for something to help with cost adjustment and trying to fix things in their home.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been using 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty for over 10 years. I had it in two homes. I bought my first home 20 years ago. The seller offered me a year’s home buyer warranty with 2-10 and I continued to use them since that. They're easy to deal with and I usually go on the website when I submit my claims. It takes minutes or just an hour and then I get an email with an assigned contractor. Then I wait until the next morning for the contractor to open up and they were there for me in the morning or in the afternoon trying to schedule a service. The technicians were kind of hit or miss. Some of them are good companies while some of them are not professional. If I had a bad experience with a company, I call 2-10 back and tell them to send somebody else. Some of the reps seemed to be okay with changing and assigning to a different contractor and some of them are not. Most of time though, the quality of work that was performed is good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Whenever I submit a claim with 2-10 Home Buyer's Warranty, I do it online but I usually have problems with it and have to call. The process is easy when I speak to somebody and the reps are pleasant. They are also quick to file whatever claim I need and contact the work people. The techs usually come out in a timely manner but we had one instance where they weren’t. Even so, the techs' professionalism and quality of service were good.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

When we bought the house, the Realtor put 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty in then the seller paid for it. We have it for almost two years now and as far as submitting claim go, it has been super easy. I would submit claims online then call in multiple times after that. However, our experience has not been very positive thus far. The first time we submitted a claim, we had an issue with our dishwasher a while back and it was fine. But then in the last two months, we had the water heater go out and the furnace stars to go out in the same couple of weeks. The water heater took almost two weeks to get fixed and we had a lot of terrible communication with 2-10.

The service contractors were great. The first guy that came out to look at the water heater was from Air Plumbing. He looked at it and said it was rusted out, old and unsafe that we needed a new one. They submitted the claim to 2-10 then we never talked to them again because the furnace started going out before the water heating had even been ordered. They told us that something was getting ordered one day. But then it took them three days then they told us that it wasn’t ordered yet.

We ended up just taking a payout at the end because it was gonna be cheaper for us to take it and pay the additional couple of hundred dollars that we have to pay with 2-10. We paid somebody else to put the water heater in because we were so frustrated in having such a terrible time. We got somebody out to look at the furnace, Jake's Heating and Plumbing, and they were awesome. The guy was super nice. He told us, explained everything, and we ended up using them for our plumber as well to put in a new water heater. They were super and they seemed trustworthy. The water heater took at least 10 days to get resolved. I'm not gonna be renewing with 2-10.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

The claims process at 2-10 could be easier just from a technological standpoint. I submitted a claim one time and upon further inspection, before I heard back from 2-10 or from anyone, whether it would be 2-10 or the contractor that they put in-charge to do the job, I found another issue related to the initial issue, but I couldn’t go back in and edit the support ticket. But their contractors have been fantastic. There's nothing that I can think of that they can improve on. They’ve all been extremely professional and very efficient. They’ve gotten the job done as they came to do. Everything that’s been fixed hasn’t had any another issue related to it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been covered by 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty since November of 2014. It was the home warranty that was set up when we purchased the house. Submitting a claim online was fine and straightforward. On the other hand, it's a little painful and takes forever to get somebody on the line when I have to call. However, when I get a rep on the phone, our interactions were good most of the time. And when they give a time frame on when to expect a contractor, it would always be within a day or two.

I had a faucet issue that 2-10's contractors tried to fix. They had to come back with a part, but they still couldn't fix it. They let 2-10 know that it was broken and needed to be replaced. However, it wasn’t resolved correctly and the contractor just put all this on me instead of accepting responsibility for it. The faucet's still broken and I’m waiting for the new one to be installed. 2-10 had to order the parts and once those come in, they'd reach out to schedule the time to install it. So even though there had been some issues in terms of not following through on a claim and not handling it to the best of their ability, some of the issues have worked out well.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

During some of the coldest times we've had in a couple of years, my entire air-conditioning system stopped working so we had no heat. 2-10 responded very quickly when I filed my claim and they worked really well with the contractor that would make the repairs. I put in my request online on a Friday, and after about an hour of doing it, I heard from the contractor. They did their best to get my heating up and running that evening. But unfortunately, it needed to be fully replaced. So, they said that they would be with me first thing Monday morning. Monday morning, by 8:30, I had a phone call from the contractor who gave me an update on the claim. And then, by 11 o'clock, they had given me a call just to let me know that everything was approved and they would be out that evening.

I just wish 2-10 had text updates when things move along in the process. That would be like getting a text that says the process has been started and the contractor has been contacted. That would be easier. I think they do it via email, but those updates would be helpful to people who were in an emergency situation like I was. Nevertheless, the process was very easy and the online submission is very intuitive. Plus, they got everything corrected very quickly. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I’ve been with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty for about 25 years and I normally submit my claims by phone. Their reps have always been good. Sometimes, some of the stuff that I thought would be covered are not covered but that's my fault for thinking that it is covered when it ain't. Sometimes, they are able to get the contractors out the next day and sometimes, it takes a couple of days. Their monthly fee is a little high though. They charge me $100 a year and that's high compared to what I was paying 25 years ago. I understand things go up a bit but it doesn't cover what I was paying when I first started 25 years ago. Other than that, they always take care of everything that's in the contract that's covered.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Abron. Thank you for the feedback on your experience with our services. We are thrilled to read that you have been a part of our customer base for 25 years. We cannot emphasize enough how much we appreciate your continued business and loyalty to our company. If you ever need any further support, please reach out to us again and we would be more than happy to help.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We got a home warranty from 2-10 when we bought the condo and have been covered for about a year now. I do my claims over the phone and their customer service reps did well. They were very good.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Whoever answers the phone when you're gonna put the claim at 2-10 thinks that you have read the contract. My refrigerator was making a noise and apparently, it was the icemaker. I put in the claim and they selected who was gonna be going. And for the first time, I got the call from the contractor within 10 minutes after I put the claim. The contractor went here and checked everything.

15 days have passed after he left, no one would contact me and I was waiting, waiting, and waiting. I placed a call at 2-10 and started asking when is the guy coming back. I told the rep that he was gonna order a part. That's when the rep said that the ice maker isn't covered. He then tried to give me a hard time pretending that I knew the icemaker was not covered. He even asked if I don't read my contract. I had to stop him and tell that he was ridiculous, absurd, and if I knew that my ice maker's not gonna be covered, why am I gonna pay 75 bucks? I had to tell him that I was expecting my 75 back. He told me that they would send it to me. Overall, 2-10 has terrible customer service, my experience has not been nice at all and I’m stuck with them.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Hi there Annabella. We are very sorry for the interaction you had with one of our staff members. We take feedback like this very seriously and your review will be sent to management to make sure we review your call with our representative. If you need any further support, please feel free to reach out to us again and we will do our best to provide you with what you need.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I like the way that 2-10 keep their word and their commitment. When I have an issue with my house, I call them. I'd rather explain the problem to the customer service, and then they send me the right technician. I didn't have an issue until the last technician for the air conditioner came. 2-10 was supposed to share with them the payment for Freon since the Freon was low on my AC. Up until today, I haven't seen the technician or get a call from 2-10. The people at 2-10 told me that the Freon is covered on my warranty, but I think that 2-10 did not agree with the payment with the technician. Also, 2-10's site could be improved by being able to get access with someone any time a client wants. Moreover, 2-10 should call before they get whatever they're up to. But other than those, I've been with 2-10 since 2016 and the experience with them has been good.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

2-10 is quick to respond, but as a homeowner, it's frustrating that the hours that the company offers and the hours that normal people work are the same, so there’s no option for them to come even as late as 5 o’ clock. They tell you that they will, but they don't. They expect me to be here at 1 o’ clock. If I work a full-time job, taking off once for them to come out and tell them what's wrong, and then taking off again for them to come and fix it a few days later is really hard to do. There are no hours where they try to work with you, which is the most frustrating part. The recent service contractor that came was not the most intelligent person. He asked me all kinds of questions about the product, then he asked me to show him where it was leaking from. I knew how to take the part off and I could have fixed it and not paid them. It was a waste of my time because he made me show him where the problem was and he didn't look. It was silly to me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've been with 2-10 when I purchased the house a month and a half ago. I have had two issues with them. The first one was for plumbing and everything went fine on that. The pipe was clogged and everything was taken care of. The plumbers were very professional. The other issue was for the stove. When I moved in to the house, the house passed the inspection and the stove was working. However, the stove has stopped working so that was when we called the warranty. Somebody came over and the guy said that the stove needed to be replaced. He could not make it work. Then somebody else called me and said that the claim was denied because it was too old. But that was not in the agreement that it was not covered. I don't think that was fair and I don't think that that should be denied.

Another thing that bothered me was the comment the lady that I spoke to said. She said that they already paid too much money for the plumbing and that they only cover up to $1,000. She made me feel like that was the reason why they were not covering the stove even though they were two different issues. As a consumer, that was not my fault. 2-10 shouldn't hire people that would call and dictate what is gonna happen. I'm satisfied with everything else, except for that lady.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We purchased a house and it had a warranty from 2-10. Once we had a claim for our furnace and the tech who came out was great. He was very helpful with regards to our questions and he explained all of it very well. He made a few adjustments to the unit and it was fixed. Having a warranty on our property has been very valuable. It has saved us money.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've had 2-10 since 2015. It was a recommendation made by the Realtor at that time. He had used them a couple of times with other clients so I decided to see how they are. I hadn't had an issue with them but it seems like the last couple of months have been pretty rocky. I feel like they weren't really doing a lot of listening. They weren’t inputting what they thought the problem was and not really listening from a customer standpoint and it's ridiculous.

I had an issue that started in December regarding my kitchen sink and my washer and it started off as a leak. I called 2-10 and they weren’t really listening to the issue because they were saying that something needed to be snaked. The first company that they dispatched came out and the gentleman snaked my kitchen sink. He turned my washer on and it continued to spill the water. Also, we mentioned something about looking in the crawl space and he didn’t really want to look into it.

After he left, he notified both us and the warranty people that he felt like it was best if we have a hydro jetting treatment done. I felt like that was a bit extreme. As a plumber, he hadn't even addressed the whole plumbing system and had not even looked at the pipes but he was gonna say I needed hydro jetting which was not even covered by the warranty. And outside of it not being covered, it was an initial charge of 325 and I will be charged about $200. It just seemed like a whole bunch for somebody that hasn’t even thoroughly done their due diligence to look all way around. All he did was snake the sink and cut the washer. I was not impressed there.

When I called the contractor's office, they were willing to send another technician out. And the lady I talked to understood my complaint about their technician not willing to look in my crawl space because another thing he noted on his summary of what was found was that he couldn't find the cleanout. He didn’t even attempt to find a cleanout and I'm paying them $75 to come out and evaluate what my issue is and fix it. The day they were supposed to come back out, they talked to 2-10. Next thing I know, I got a voicemail from 2-10 saying they finally spoke with the contractor and that they were recommending the hydro jetting. I was confused. I thought we were getting somebody else to come out to look in the crawl space to assess the piping.

I called the contractor's office back and I asked what was going on. The rep said that, unfortunately, their owner spoke with 2-10 and they didn’t feel like it was necessary for them to look in the crawl space at the piping. That was unfair to me. I didn’t think I need hydro jetting and I wanted a second opinion. So, I called 2-10 Home Warranty again and this time, the rep said he could dispatch another plumber for that same ticket but I was gonna be responsible for the $75 fee again. I was taken back by that comment a little bit because the representative that I spoke to from the first contractor's office told me that they had done a couple of recalls where they came out behind a company and they didn't collect a fee. But I told him I would pay the fee if that was what it would take.

It was set up for Thomas Plumbing who's another plumbing company that 2-10 uses. I didn't hear anything from this company for 48 hours and this started on a Tuesday. I called the company on Friday and they said they could come out on Monday. I said okay so, they scheduled. My mom called them to see if they were on their way and the young lady the guy was on his way but they never showed up. We called them several times and they never answer the phone. We never heard anything back from Thomas Plumbing.

I'm utterly disgusted because the first person that 2-10 sent me did not evaluate my whole plumbing system or find my cleanout and the second person they dispatched to me, after telling me I have to pay a fee, didn’t even show up. I called back and asked for a third company. We were about three weeks into this then. The third company came out and the guy found my cleanout. He stated that it was located on my roof and recommended that the snake can be done from there. But he said his company wasn’t equipped to snake from the roof and he said to contact 2-10 and they would locate a company that is able to do so.

So, I called the warranty people again and they were in the process of dispatching another company, Service Mechanical of Tidewater. A little bit after setting the appointment up, I got a call from 2-10 and said the company isn't equipped to snake from the roof either. We're gonna then have to submit paperwork to go out the network. This was like four weeks in. I said okay and they were gonna still look on a network for me, but they also encouraged me to look myself, so that I could kinda speed up the process. They never got back with me about finding a company for me and I was finding different plumbers.

I was also telling them, in the mix of talking to the other plumbers, that they should have looked at my plumbing pipes. No one addressed my pipes at all. Then, when I finally got it fixed, with no help from 2-10, the cleanout for the roof had nothing to do with the cleanout for my kitchen sink. It had nothing to do with my kitchen sink nor my washer. It was crazy.

Also, the fourth contractor sent by 2-10 stated that there was no vent. He said it was a ventilation issue and there was no vent from my washer and dryer. There was a studor vent that was put on my kitchen sink, but studor vents are supposed to only go for piping that's only about five feet long. But the studor vent was put on to be functional for both my washer and my kitchen sink. There was about a good 10-foot distance between the two. The studor vent for my kitchen sink failed causing my kitchen sink to back up and there was no vent for my washer. So, even if someone did hypothetically come out and snake from the roof, that would have just been for my bathroom which I was having no issue with from the get-go.

There was nobody even willing to look in the crawl space that 2-10 set me out and it pissed me off because from the very beginning, even though they noted that it needed to be snaked, they also noted that there was an issue on the crawl space, but nobody looked in the crawl space other than the guy that I hired myself. And he had to take apart some of the plumbing pipes and clean them out. He had to add a vent. The last company that 2-10 sent me to did encourage me to get a vent added to my washer which included a wall being cut out and a vent being placed. But I had to independently find somebody to do that.

Before the fourth person even came out with 2-10, they said that they were allowing me to go out of the network but they were only willing to give me $150 to work going out the network. And to me, that was a slap in my face, because for me to even get somebody to come out and evaluate, that's at least $75 right there. It was like 2-10 was only roughly giving $75 to work whatever needs to be done, when they get a direct deposit from me every month of $66. They get paid regardless if anything go right or wrong in the house and then they send me people who don’t want to thoroughly look into what's going on and at the end of the day, they're willing to give me $150 to work what needs to be fixed, when it takes $75 for them to come out and look at it.

Overall, the project cost me $400 to get fixed. The guy fixed my piping, placed the vent behind my washer which he had to cut my wall out to do that, and replaced the vent to the kitchen sink. But I was really upset at how it went. And with the last call that went out to even get the man to come out from 2-10, the dispatcher that I talked to was very unprofessional. I was repeating my frustration about what was going on and how I wasn’t pleased that they ignored my request to have somebody look in the crawl space. She said, "Well, with all due respect, we sent professionals out there and if they didn’t feel it was necessary, then maybe it wasn’t necessary for them to look in your crawl space." And she was laughing with a coworker in the background. I felt like it was condescending and that she was minimizing the distress that that caused in my household, not being able to use my kitchen sink and my washer for almost two months.

2-10 needs to reevaluate their training because the dispatchers weren’t listening. The issue was a leakage problem from the get-go but yet, it got being put in a snaking. My issue could've been fixed way before now. Also, with the lack of professionalism of the lady laughing the background with her coworker, I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody. For you to put this money out effortlessly monthly and for them to ignore your requests and your concerns about what's going on, I wouldn't want anybody else having $60 something taken out of their account every month for a company that's not gonna send them reputable contractors and who's gonna take them seriously. I don't know how long I have on whatever contract I'm spending with them, but I don’t plan on using them anymore.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

When submitting a claim to 2-10, my wife has handled all of it and their process was good. Their contractors are fairly professional and that is satisfactory as far as it goes. 80% of them comes out of time and communicate well. But there was one contractor we had that was not professional and we couldn’t count on him to come out when he said he would. But we’ve had some experiences with some other ones that had been good. Although sometimes they are unable to find the problem and fix some things, it worked okay. Anything we’ve asked about has been very simple and things have been fixed timely, but sometimes it wasn't.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We requested for a home warranty and the seller of the home I closed in November chose 2-10. I have been using 2-10 since then. I submitted a claim one time and I did it on the mobile website, and it was simple to do it. However, there were a few nitpicky things that they couldn’t cover. The plumber that came out couldn’t do some things because they weren't covered. I had a leak under my sink and had a bit of water damage with the cabinet. I submitted a claim hoping everything could get fixed with the warranty based on our plumber who can do home restoration and wood repairs, but it was a waste of time. I replaced two pieces of PVC pipe, which I could have done for about $12. Other than that, the technicians that they sent out were very nice and knew what they were talking about.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

We purchased our home in October and have had 2-10 since. Their reps were very helpful and they answered my questions when I filed a claim over the phone. The contractor who was sent out ran down through a list of things that needed to get done. He explained everything to me and he wanted to make sure that I understood. I liked everything overall.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My mother-in-law has 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty and she has had good experience with her stuff. I also lived with her a few times and I saw what 2-10 took care of. And when they couldn’t find somebody, they would subcontract somebody out. That happened a lot of times with my mother-in-law’s AC but she found a good person for the AC and they treated her well. So I wanted to have that for my own house. I can also save money by using it. On my first experience with 2-10, I called about the plumbing and it worked out well. The contractor, Five Star Plumbing, did a really good job. But the second time did not work out too well. I called 2-10 on a Friday and it took all the way until Wednesday of the next week for me to have somebody come out here. Nobody could use the toiler until the contractor could come out. I was lucky I had another toilet in another room that was working all right. It would still flush. But I was inconvenienced.

Five Star Plumbing couldn’t handle my claim in a timely manner so I found somebody else. But the company I found, Roto-Rooter, was not a good company at all. Their customer service was terrible and when they left, I still had an issue with my toilet. Then they tried to say they were gonna charge me $125 to come back out. I felt like they were just ripping me off and I ended up fixing it myself. If 2-10 could’ve had Five Star come out again, I would’ve been really happy. Still, I recommend 2-10 to my friends. But I tell them to be careful when they choose their own contractor to come out. 2-10 holds their contractors to a higher standard and whenever I have to find my own contractor, I tell them that they know who to pick. I’m a first-time homeowner so I don’t know who to pick. 2-10's customer service is great though. When I call them, they walk me through the process.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty response

Thank you for the 5-star review, Justin! We apologize for some of the issues you faced with our contractors and we will do our best to make sure these problems do not occur next time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was a Realtor for a very long time, in Virginia and 2-10 was one of the companies that I recommended, that everybody seem to have a satisfying experience. I've had it for my home for 2 years. Calling in my claim has been easy and the response I get from their contractors has been fine. But I'm not really happy with the quality of work. I’ve had some difficulty here in Arizona. I’ve told them several times to not send me the pool company guy who kept telling me everything is shot and the pool needs to be dug up. They look for stuff that seems to be not covered by the policy, instead of doing the work. He misdiagnosed 3 times and 2-10 won’t send a different one out.

Last year, they gave us a new fridge, and the ice maker went out. The guy came out and put another ice maker in. He said it was probably something else and he never came back. Right now, we also have a refrigerator issue. The selection of contractors here is substandard. It's about my renewal period, and I have to really think about it. It’s all about location. In Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads area, the contractors were amazing. But here, they are less than amazing. They need to interview their contractors a little bit better and do some homework on them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

An interior panel on our microwave has damage. At one point, it was sparky when we were using it. I went online and submitted a claim with 2-10 and I really liked the process. They have a really nice web interface for getting that along. The repair company then contacted me on the same day. My husband met them for the first review. When they came to do the repair, they were professional. The whole claim was finished within two weeks. I would recommend 2-10.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Up until three weeks ago, my experience with 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty had been great. I have a six-month-old, and it's been very cold in Texas over the last week with temperatures in the 20s, and my heater has not been working. I had a claim placed and a service contractor came out and said that he fixed something. That morning, I woke up and it was 63 degrees in the house. It was very cold and my infant was cold which I didn’t like. I texted the guy back and told him that while I appreciated him for coming out, unfortunately, my heater has not been fixed. He came back and said that my heater needed to be replaced. It would keep having an issue and it could go out completely.

So we got hold of 2-10, and they processed everything. I spoke with an individual on the phone and she ensured that the part had been ordered and that the confirmation was already given to the service contractor and the service contractor confirmed. She told me that as soon as the part was ready to pick, I would get it and then it would be installed. We haven’t heard anything. Seven days went by so I called. It was getting ridiculous. We were having these space heaters in the house, and I didn’t like putting just a regular space heater in my baby's room because there was a risk of a fire.

The rep told me that the order was not processed correctly, and they haven't ordered anything for me. I voiced my displeasure to a very great extent. But still, I don’t have it. They're gonna be installing them a month later. They also admitted their fault. In fact, the rep was very clear that they made a mistake. They would even do some coaching and training. In addition to that, they are refunding the service fee which was $70. They also gave me $150 to buy heaters. So, I went and bought the type of heaters that I had grown up. They are like oil heaters and they're a lot safer which has allowed us to keep the house warm enough.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

It’s pretty important to have a warranty and 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty had more services than the other companies. I've been with 2-10 for three years now and they've helped me out. They've sent me the people that needed. I file claims through the phone and the reps are doing a good job. Then when the contractor comes out, I show them where the problem is at and they take care of it. They do a little inspection and see what’s gonna happen. The last person took about three days to come out. I was having a heating issue and when he got there, I told him what the problem was. I showed him the attic and we went up there. He took the unit apart and showed me the problem. One of the cables just came loose. He took care of it and everything’s been good since then.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I got 2-10 Home Warranty in 2008 and I've been contented with their service since then. I like their price and it's easy to file claims both online and over the phone. Plus the contractors that they’ve sent have all been good.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

2-10 has been good and the technicians have usually been great. My last experience was for my garage and it was supposed to get fixed, but 2-10 denied the vendor and they're not covering it. If they say they're gonna fix one particular thing, then they should fix everything that goes along with that compartment. Other than that, I like 2-10 a lot and I haven't had any problems.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

My experience submitting a claim to 2-10 hasn't been fun. Last year, my furnace went up and a guy came out, and he made the wrong diagnosis on it. Several other furnace people came over and said as soon as he saw soot coming out of the gas furnace, he should have known that some part was cracked and that the furnace needed to be replaced. I wasted a week and a half with them trying to get me another company out to say the same thing. Then, I had to wait another two weeks before I got my furnace put in.

This past claim was a washing machine and the company that 2-10 used only has one technician, so it took a week for my part to come in. After the part came in, the company didn't come back out to redo the washing machine for four weeks. It was ridiculous that when I called and told 2-10 what some of the problems I ran into were, they can’t get in touch with another company and make it an urgent business to get it taken care of. They just basically say sorry and that there's nothing they can do.

I’ve been with 2-10 for many years and as a real estate agent, I used to sell their products. But from the way they’ve been handling their calls, I can’t suggest to my buyers to use them because I don't want that as a reflection of me. I pay for their service, and they’re not taking care of their end in a timely manner. It didn't use to be this way, but in the past couple of years, it’s gotten horrible. Some of the companies that they use for a contract are not some of the best companies.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

2-10's website is good but they’re a pain to work with in terms of the flexibility around what they’ll cover and what's not covered. We had a problem with our icemaker and we ended up getting to a settlement agreement with them, which is fine but it took about six times that a guy kept coming up and replacing things. At that point, we were having a baby and we needed an ice machine for my wife and the icemaker wasn't working all the time. But beyond that piece, their people were good and the people that they've sent have been top-notch and very capable. 2-10 is a good value and I'd recommend them. They're good to work with.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW) has been in business for more than 35 years and is the only company that provides a 10 year insurance-backed structural warranty for new construction and a Home Warranty Service Agreement protecting the home’s major systems and appliances. Based in Denver, the company has protected more than 5.5 million homes.

• Low service fee: 2-10 HBW charges a low service fee of about $50. Service fees are clearly stated on contracts so homeowners will never be surprised.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week and also request service online through the 2-10 HBW website.

• Structural warranties: Homebuilders can become 2-10 HBW members and then offer structural warranties on the homes they sell. These warranties can give sellers a competitive edge in a tight real estate market.

• Blog: The 2-10 HBW website includes a blog with free informational resources. There are posts to help homeowners, homebuilders and real estate agents.

• Online quotes available: 2-10 now offers a new ‘Get a Quote’ feature on their website where, within a few easy steps, builders, real estate professionals and homeowners can get a quote.

• Best for: builders, real estate professionals and homeowners.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Company Information