1.21/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

501 Sony PlayStation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 12, 2018

So my 12 year old son has an online PlayStation account so that he can play online with his friends. The subscription is set up to come out of my bank every 3 months. So apparently my son's account got hacked. His password was changed and someone started buying stuff on his account on Fortnite. After several hundreds of dollars were spent in about 5 minutes, I contacted Epic Games, whom told me to contact PlayStation. I called PlayStation, but can never get anyone on the phone. I have emailed them as well and guess what NO response. Thankfully my bank refunded the money to me. BUT my son is still without his account and who knows who has it and our info because NO one will respond. Horrible customer service!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

For more than 3 months I have been calling PlayStation for Help and they couldn't sort it out. They ask me to open Ports, check IP, delete, create, take my PS4 to some friends house, check cable... During almost 3 months. Then, I have paid 150 Euros, got the PS4 replaced for another but the problem persisted. I had paid PLUS but I cannot use the service, and ask for the money but they only ask me to try to connect again! Or someone will be in contact with me. Nobody call me and give solutions or money. Then I have create another account with a different email and it works the connection with PSN, but they cannot transfer PLUS into my new account!!! I feel like a victim.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Wish I could give 0 stars! Poorest customer service I have ever received!!! CROOKS!!! Online account was setup by 13 year olds without my knowledge. Grandfather approved 3 charges on credit card... received statement and there were 86 transactions on account ranging from $6.99- $133.49. Called and requested a refund asap. Was told company can only go back 30 days - 52 transactions totaling $1,235... as a goodwill gesture. Told to wait 3-5 business days for credit. Checked 5 days later only $397.72 was credited! Called PlayStation and they tell me that was all that was approved for the credit! Even though 5 days ago I was told they would give me the $1,235.42 credit!

Manager came on and proceeded to tell me that was all that was approved and this was the best they could do and that there was no record of the other amount on file... convenient if you ask me!!! They also told me anyone can setup an account as they figure an adult would be present. Also virtual money has a price attached to it in the game. My kids had no idea and are very upset about everything!!! I even offered to close account. PlayStation stands firm at this is the best they can do and policy is policy... even if it was agreed to by at 13 year old. ???

Original review: May 11, 2018

Got a PS4 Pro more than a year ago and is making a really bad fan noise like a jet engine taking off in your room. I've contacted Sony support chat and they were very unhelpful, I spoke to the supervisor who gave me different information than the first person I spoke with. Overall, it was a waste of time to talk to support and Sony has to check their products before selling it to the public because a lot of people are having the same fan issues and some are out of warranty. Shame on Sony.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Sony took it upon themselves to charge my PayPal account for a service I didn't want based on a gift card I'd received earlier for said service that had expired. When I tried to contact them to get the service cancelled and refunded on the same day they told me too bad essentially so I was forced to charge back via PayPal to get my money back (thanks PayPal!) But this resulted in my account being banned. Luckily my account didn't have anything of worth on it, awful company policies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: May 3, 2018

My PlayStation 4 became corrupt and the console needed to be wiped and reset. We decided to call and figure out what would happen if we did the system reset and if there was a way around it. The first person told me that with PlayStation Plus no information would be lost, as at that time VC for NBA 2k18 had been purchased and my husband just completed a game the day before. We wiped the system and the re-downloaded the games. All the information was gone on the accounts most used. Come to find out plus would need to be on all other accounts used on the PlayStation in order for the information not to be lost. I was not given that information prior, even though they could see that Plus was only on one account. Calling them back to see what could be done about it I was told nothing could be done and to write a letter to corporate to complain. What's that gonna do? I just hung up.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Back in February I had my PlayStation Network account compromised with a few unauthorized purchases made. I was very please to find out that Sony was on top of their game and recognized the fraudulent charges, froze my account, and immediately refunded my money. I immediately had my debit card, associated with my account, turned off. Once I was able to get a new card, issued by my bank, I had my PS Network account reinstated and I applied my new debit card to my account. Since then I have not attempted to make any new purchases from my PS network account. Recently I tried to make a purchase on the PlayStation Network, with the new debit card. I started getting errors stating my card information was not correct. I've read all the forums, I understand that the slightest little mistake and even capitalization matters when something like this happens.

I triple checked all my info (account info and payment/wallet info) to ensure everything was correct, matching, and all capitalization matched as well. I called PlayStation Network Customer service and over the course of 2 days and over 2 hours on the phone troubleshooting with them and my bank (which my bank had everything clear on their end), I find out that because my account was compromised, Sony PlayStation Network can no longer accept any form of payment from my bank account again! What company does this?!?! It isn't my fault some low life hacker got into my account! Now because of some stupid system design my bank account has been blocked by Sony and they won't take payment from that account!

I was told I could go and buy gift cards off of Amazon if I wanted to make a purchase on the PlayStation network again! This is completely unacceptable! The system is in place as a convenience, for players who want to purchase digital content, at the touch of a button. Now because my account was compromised I can no longer use that service even though I was a victim of fraud! I got no resolution with a customer service supervisor. They didn't try to refer me to higher level management or a different department, specialist, nothing! They just gave up! Terrible customer service! Terrible business practice! I will never do business with Sony PlayStation again!

Original review: April 27, 2018

2 Days before Christmas I signed up for a 7 day free trial of PlayStation now so that my son could check out a new game. What I didn't realize was at the end of the 7 day trial, they would automatically start charging my account $19.99 per month. I used an e-mail that I rarely use when I signed up, so it took 5 months before I caught the erroneous charges. I called PlayStation customer service to get these charged credited as I clearly had not used this service at all. They told me that they would only give me one month back. The rest were non-refundable.

As a long time PlayStation customer, I feel extremely jaded. I feel like Playstation took my money by tricking me. They chose to put re-occurring charges on my account and proceeded to take advantage of me when I was getting a gift for my son. They covered themselves by having the fine print. This speaks to the lack of integrity they have as a company. I am extremely disappointed with Sony and plan never to do business with them again. In the future, I will choose a company that displays high integrity with their customers. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I cannot understand how a product this popular can have this kind of "customer service." The phone support people are basically impossible to understand, but it seems like all they do is tell you "go to website please sir" so not even sure why they have a phone center. I spent three hours today trying to just put a new credit card on my son's account. Finally thought I'd succeeded, then just now got an email saying the subscription is now canceled. I can't believe how hard they make it to PAY; can't imagine how bad the customer service is if you actually need something from them. Beyond belief.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Trying to log into my account after many months and being locked out, I call customer service. I was told that my PS ID has been banned because my account was hacked and a charge was reversed for a game that I didn't purchase. The email was change 2 days before the purchase was made and so was the billing information, which was during the time of your security breach where a lot PlayStation consumers' information was compromised. PlayStation needs to make this right. Your network gets hacked a while back, so I lose my ID and 15+ years of gaming. What's even crazier is being told to pay for a game that's 2 years old, and that I have never played. There's no history of the game ever being purchased on my console. I never give out my login information and I never sign in on other consoles. Yet the punishment is ID banishment!!!

I'm destroyed by this fact, as I have put in countless hours of my time to play the Titles that you have provided and I am contemplating giving up gaming all together and not investing in any Sony products moving forward. There's something that can be done, because we did have a PlayStation representative, try to take the banned off because it was the right thing to do. There could've been a gift card offered to cover the fraudulent reversed charges to reinstate my ID, but except for that one representative, we were given a cold shoulder and basically told to kick rocks. I know there's a retention department, but I was never referred to them. Basically telling me that, as a consumer, my business meant less than nothing. So now my husband is in a position, as a loyal PlayStation advocate since 1996, questioning how much longer will it be before he's being treated the same way. Just make this right.

Original review: April 17, 2018

PlayStation took 115.24 out of my account they weren’t authorized to take. I had to dispute it with my bank to get my money back. Because I got my money back they banned my sons account that I have spent hundreds of dollars on. Spoke to them and they are absolutely no help whatsoever. My boys will be going back to Microsoft Xbox. PlayStation is a joke and I do not recommend them to anybody. Customer service barely speaks English too so you can’t understand them.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have gone through 3 PS4 in the last 3 years. It's beyond a joke how crap the quality is. Also I was a PS plus member and had it set to back up my saves. When my last console died it didn't back my data up. Sony didn't care. All I use it for now is Netflix and Youtube. That's about all it's good for. Would I recommend Sony? No way. They need to look after their consumers. I ended up going back to pc gaming. I built a mini console size pc for a under 600 AUD and I use controller companion so it's like a console but don't have to deal with the crappy to no service from Sony. Sure I miss out on Sony exclusives but I can live with that. People would be better off buying a pc that can play most games and can use it like a console. Don't have to pay to play online and get games cheap. I will never go back to Sony even if you paid me.

Original review: April 9, 2018

All parents should know that if your child spends money (accidentally) on a SONY PS4 game without your knowledge, SONY has no recourse to reimburse you. This happened once before to me a few years ago in the iOS ecosystem and Apple was great to work with. My son got a PS4 PRO for Christmas and for some reason (possibly my own fault for sure), no password was required for him to make purchases and he racked up hundreds of dollars on a single game. I found out about 6 weeks in, chatted with SONY online and they agreed to reimburse me for anything that was less than 30 days old.

A little more than a month later, I contacted them because I never saw the refund come through. I was told by another support agent that the "upper management" had denied it and was told to read the Wallet agreement and that all sales are final. I understand this is possibly my error but when it comes to dealing with minors, SONY needs to understand that mistakes can be made - especially when you are getting up and running. If you are on the fence about buying a PS4 versus another gaming console, I would consider looking elsewhere until customer service approves.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Switched from Wii to PS4. I HATE the controls don’t have batteries. With 4 kids, the cord never charges. Now have two controls won’t charge! PLEASE fix this without making customers buy new controls!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I’ve used the PlayStation store for many years and have all the consoles. But it's been a while since I used my PSP. I dug it out and I have spent lots of money on games on the store for all my consoles. But when I logged in to the store it refused my details yet I never changed them. So I went to the 2 stage change details facility and changed my password but then it said it's sent a pin code to my mobile phone. It went to an old number as I changed it and forgot to update this. So I can’t access my games that I own outright.

I called PlayStation support and they asked if I had proof of purchase and certain account details. Now all my purchases were done through the PayPal link on your store and they said that’s not good enough. They said I must have emails confirming purchases. I can’t find these emails. My only proof of purchase is through PayPal. If this PayPal very secure payment method isn’t good enough proof of purchase (which shows transaction ID and invoice number) Then why do you use this?

I have spent a lot of money online with PSP. PS3 and PS4, not to mention all the games I purchased in store. Surely you’re not going to tell me “That’s it, I can’t have my products that I own” As that is theft. Surely you can do something or I will fight this and take it further as I’m absolutely disgusted on being made to feel frustrated and wound up.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I wrote them about a PlayStation that I had bought second hand. When I went to login it said I was system banned. So I contacted them which waiting for them to respond was seemed like days. At first they brushed me off. Only saying contact the seller. When I explained to them that I bought it off a local eBay and could not get my money back they wrote me back not responding to me by name but by "Dear Contact" and then said there was nothing they could do. Saying I could not challenge the decision. As I explained to them. There is no mods or hacks on my system but they would not hear it and I cannot use the stuff that I bought on the PSN store. None of this mattered.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I was purchasing something for my son. I got an error message and logged back in to make the purchase and got an error message again. Finally the 3rd time worked. I return to my email where they charged me 3x!!! I called to get it refunded and said it was against policy and refused to help me. They basically STOLE my money based on a system error on their side.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have always been a loyal customer to PlayStation Network since PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, multiple PlayStation 3's for multiple gaming in the house, now I'm on my second PS4, and my son as PS Vita, and I've always played paid to play online since they started charging. Still remained a loyal customer to PlayStation and there was a mistake 4 months back with a purchase that I didn't recognize and I disputed it with my bank and they ended up banning my account with no prior notice and when I finally realized what was going on I called to find out what was going on and he's like, "Oh. Well you said a $50 transaction was fraud. We have the right to ban your account. We're not going to reinstate your account and tell you pay us the $50 that you will was."

I explained the situation to him. Said, "Okay. I'm truly sorry I forgot what the purchase was for. I have a 15 year old son." "Okay. Well that's not our problem," and tell you pay us our money your account will be inactive. I've been waiting on a supervisor to call. I've also filled out a survey with the request for a I guess customer service relation guy for the complaint to call me back. Never received a call back. It's been over 2 weeks. I took the survey three times. Still requesting a call back. Have not received a call back at all. Just completely unprofessional poor service for someone who's always been there for PlayStation 2 games alone or $50 they control. There's a loan or $50. My son has a PlayStation. I have PlayStation as multiple games multiple controllers and over one $50 transaction that completely banned my whole account. My two daughters use my account to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime so we're always on the PlayStation.

That's our main source of every TV in the house and they just showed no consideration at all over the situation and still haven't got a call back. I finally just got paid. Went and bought a $50 card just to put it on. Just poor service. I just cannot believe that and I know they see all of those different part PlayStations that we've had over the course of time because they've always been linked to the same name with the same username and email.

It's literally just made me almost want to switch to Xbox if I wouldn't have to go and purchase the system, the Xbox Live, the games I want and the controllers again. Just completely treat it like really do not matter to PlayStation or Sony at all. Very sad, then even after purchasing another $50 card a week later after I finally got paid and entering the code in so I could finally get my account reactivated for me and the family then is still told me it's going to take at least 24 hours for them to confirm that everything is a legitimate purchase like really.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I changed my Email the other day and forgot I had 2 step verification (PlayStation Network) set up (my account would auto sign in). I also changed my phone number a while back & forgot that too. I went to log into my account and could not because I no longer have the phone number for the 2 step verification text message! I called customer support & was told 48 hrs. I then called back in 48 hrs & was told the next day it would be working. It's now 96 hours or 4 days later customer support is saying they are still working on having security disable 2 step verification for me.

Worried I am not going to get my account back I asked if I can request my credit card to be disabled so I am not charged for anything. No problem it was deleted he even told me how much credit I have in the store account! This agent has the ability to delete credit cards but not able to disable 2 step verification. I have 11 platinum trophies. Skyrim is 1 of my platinum's close to 850 hrs of gameplay lost everything I have worked for gone. Just a short rant of my disgust... there needs to be another way to solve problems like this without having to jump thru so many hoops. I feel like I should start over by going to Xbox and really starting fresh if it comes to that.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Contacting Sony PlayStation for help with an issue is an incredibly aggravating experience. They have done away with their Contact Us form, and now you only have the option of live chat to deal with any issues that come up. I am currently waiting for help, and the screen displays, "Our average wait time is up to 10 minutes. Please stand by." I have been waiting for over an hour now for a representative to start the live chat. If it's going to take over an hour, it should specify that.

Also, I have found it very difficult to get a refund for content purchased digitally, even when there are game-breaking issues with the content. Once you make a digital purchase, they absolutely do not care whether you are satisfied with that purchase or if your content is unplayable. I recommend purchasing a hard copy of a game from a reputable retailer instead. I won't be purchasing PlayStation consoles in the future due to extremely poor customer service and other issues I have encountered over the years.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I haven't had access to my PS4 for a while since it is packed up somewhere. However, I was subscribed to PS4 Network and have been charged for a year without it me realizing it until recently. When I logged into Sony's website to cancel this subscription, it was nowhere to be found! Even a Google search showed instructions that didn't match up with the UI.

The most concerning of all is that there is a field called "Automatically Add Funds to Renew Subscriptions or Pay for Pre-ordered Content", and it was set to "No". Nonetheless, I have been continuously charged. Has anyone else hit this issue? I had a chat with an online representative, and he was only able to reimburse my most recent payment. I'm sure I'm not the only one to hit this issue. If anyone else has run into this, please post here. I'm thinking about filing a class action lawsuit against them. I've never done it before, but they have pissed me off enough to go find a lawyer and do it. I just need to know that others have run into the same issue as myself.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've had a horrible experience bringing to a conclusion either the Sony product is really bad or the vendors you'll work with Croma and Metal Tech and here have Given me false Sony and are spoiling the brand name. I purchased my PS4 and within two or three days it was crashing in spite of updated software. I called Sony. They did the diagnosis and asked me to go visit the nearest center. They weren't available so we went to Croma the place where we purchased it from. They said we would have to get a replacement from the service center so we walked into Metal Tech.

At first I was told I'll get a packed box the way I purchased from the shop, when I went to collect my replacement I got an old torn box. The wires inside with the controller were evident of poor and non original quality. The cds that came inside the box were not there either and the box has "stby" written on it. My controller is fake. Doesn't have audio working on it. The box has bird ** on it too. I got my piece home and obviously we don't get time to play everyday so I switched on my console now and my controller is definitely not original. The rubber material feels glue is coming off it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I've seen two old PlayStation 3 consoles come and go. Thanks to the unscrupulous goings on of a corporation which has punters buying systems and games that become redundant and impossible to maintain because Sony doesn't allow old games on new systems (corporate theft) so now my last two, second hand consoles just died. I'm stuck with not being able to download games, movies, apps and add ons etc. because I can no longer access the old units to deactivate and this greedy corporation only allows paying customers TWO systems and then a customer must run through hoops...in my case tonight, for hours trying to find ways to deactivate systems I no longer own.

One point of enquiry lead me to a second point which in turn referred me back to the FIRST point of reference. Tried several times. These people are having a laugh. It's absolutely impossible to deactivate old systems out of hours and PSN are like Google in that they only allow a very small number of units to be active, no matter what the circumstance, at a time. Impossible...sly...it's so frustrating how impossible these no office, offshore, mega rich corporations avoid contact and human customer service. It's an insult, considering how much money I've spent since PS inception and I'm on the cusp of letting these corporate thieves do what they do best to those who are not me. I'm angry at all corporations that make gazillions of dollars but have no 24/7 contact and assistance details.

Now I must wait for these corporate dropkicks to wake up and do their jobs for god knows how huge a multitude of gamers around the globe hoping their business hours auger a result which does not include this current disappointment. They're not the only super rich corporate body that is cheap when it comes to customer service and from now on I'm going to word of mouth my experience with yet another player who enjoys taking our money but who has decided that customer service is hardly a requirement after deals are done and units sold and money in the bank...no thanks. Hoping some new gaming player comes along to topple Xbox Psn monopolies. I wrote this review because I can't get in touch with Sony and because they ran me from one pointless wasted exercise to another as though I'm stupid and would get bored with what appears to be an obvious game from a business I've long loved but now am now not at all a fan.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

PS4 customer service ‘blackmail’ policy - I purchased Armored Warfare 3 days ago. 1st problem-PS charged me twice for the premium package. Second problem- the queue time to get into play averages between 2 minutes and literally over an hour, making the game very frustrating to play. I’ve been a customer without problems for over 10 years and actually enjoyed playing the game when it worked, but that is so infrequent I asked for a refund. They said no refunds if you already played the game. I didn’t know it didn’t work until I played the game. So I said if the game doesn’t work I’m going to contest it on my cc. They said that they would Ban me for life and cancel my account. And they even told me that as a one time courtesy, that they would refund the double charge. But if I contest the refund would not happen because I would not have an account to refund back to once they banned me. So I’m heading to Best Buy today to buy an X-Box.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Last year I ordered the PlayStation Plus Account for my 7 year old son so he could play online. It cost around $60. We didn't end up using it. I saw a charge for the $60 again a year later and called that SAME day within hours of the charge and they said it auto-renewed and no refunds. I never got a notice from them that it would auto-renew, they just charged me. I didn't want it and explained that and they refused to give me the money back.

I called Chase my CC and disputed it and Chase instantly removed the charge (great customer service). Then my son tried to log into FIFA and it said his account was banned for violating the terms of service. I called Sony and they said that unless I pay them the money they will disable his account permanently. What a SCAM, this is horrible customer service and a terrible experience. We will be looking at going to X-BOX and Microsoft for all future gaming needs due to how I was treated.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The PlayStation Online Network has been down for almost a week now, turns out that PlayStation charged $24 from my debit account yesterday. The entire network was down so purchasing anything would be... impossible. Called the bank and the PlayStation Customer Service only for them to threaten to close the PlayStation we have used for years and buttons of money into because the bank was investigating the fraudulent purchase.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have never been so disappointed in a large reputable company such as Sony before. I paid for a year online subscription for $59 and was charged 5 additional charges totally $70.00. I was told that there was no refunds and I asked to speak to supervisor who told me the exact same thing. This was a Christmas gift to my grandson and I will not ever purchase anything if I can help it from Sony again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In the process of moving homes 2 years ago I did not use my Playstation or my account for days. I plug in my PS4 to find a new game pop up and find out that I was charged to my PayPal account. I reach out to PSN stating that my account was hacked and that a fraudulent purchase was made. They said they could not refund because the game was played. I reached out to PayPal who refunded me and the funds were refunded. This caused my account to be banned. Sony is now asking for $60 to unban the account which will not be refunded. They are thieves now more than a thousand dollars in movies, games, and content gone because of their poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I've been a very loyal PlayStation customer, since the launch of PlayStation 1 back to late 90s. At that time I was 10 so I've been playing on the Sony console for 20 years probably spending hundreds of dollars on games. Ever since the launch of the PlayStation Store I have not really made a purchase. I recently got 120 dollars in gift cards for the store, I have made a purchase on Final Fantasy 12 The Zodiac age because it quit on my PS2 a quarter of the way through the game, I also purchased Need for Speed bundle which isn't a big deal but it is because it's 20 bucks lost. Need for Speed wasn't what I expected as it was for PS2. I have done searches and I have talked to friends and I know from them that the return process is pretty much always guaranteed.

I have not bought these games maybe more than 15 days ago and I just contacted customer support because for one thing the return link was broken and there was nowhere to request a refund on their website anymore so I contacted them and being loyal for 20 years you think that that would be into consideration but no. Not at all and didn't take more than 3 comments back from the "representative", to just come out and say, "Your request is denied," okay... And I was asked if I had any more questions. I asked a question and the response had nothing to do with the question I asked. For one there's no such thing as loyalty to them and I think I might switch because of this experience if you're not respected at all and if what you say is completely overlooked and not responded to at all.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Sony PlayStation Network overcharge - Was trying to enter a card bought at Walmart and they charged my PayPal account instead. When they fixed it they closed account cause they said I disputed charge through PayPal. They were out nothing and yet they said they was keeping the money paid for card unless I give them the money they charged my PayPal account and if I didn’t they was keeping the other 60. WE NEED TO DO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THIS COMPANY. NO WAY WE LOSE IN FRONT OF A JURY. Their supervisor even admitted she would not do business with a company that treated her this way.

Sony PlayStation Company Information