1.29/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

532 Sony PlayStation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have called the call centre about 12 times over the last 10 days to try to fix a problem with my PlayStation account. The problem was due to the call centre's bad advice and laziness in the first place. My son has a new PlayStation only owned it 3 weeks. We have been locked out of the network. The call centre are filled with a bunch of angry kids with god complexes that won't help. There is no complaint escalation procedure to get support.

I am told that my account could be locked for another 10 days. Silly thing the reason for the account lockout is because of their error. I am stunned at the rudeness I have experienced. I am regretting my purchase and wish I went to Xbox. Have a Nintendo Switch. They are the best. Amazing support. What is going on with Sony and PlayStation? Why do they think they can treat their customers like this? I'm very disillusioned. The sad thing is there is an 8 year old boy stuck in the middle of this ** fight that can't play his new toy. Shame on you call centre and shame on you Sony PlayStation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I purchased a preorder game 13 days before the release date, but wanted to change it. It was for my son. I bought the wrong one and wanted my money back, I would eventually buy the correct version later. I have made many purchases from PS4 Store and never had a problem or wanted a refund. Also on the website it says you can get a refund for preorder games. Basically they said all sales are final, I have pulled my credit card and will never buy from them again. I rather buy from Amazon or GameStop going forward.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I wanted to buy a game for my nephew for Christmas. I found the game was the cheapest on the PlayStation store during a Black Friday sale. I tried to figure out if there was a way to buy the game and give it as a gift instead of it just applying to my account. I started a support chat to find out if there was a way. The support rep gave me very misleading information. After following his advice the game was purchased and applied to my account. I informed him that was not what I wanted as I had stated many times in our chat. I was hoping to purchase a voucher code or physical game so I could gift it. He informed me that was not possible.

I asked for a refund so I could just buy him a gift card or something else and he said, "No. All sales are final." I just purchased the game while chatting with him based on his advice and he would not give me a refund. I had not downloaded the game, I had not played the game. I don't want the game. I spoke to several people on the phone asking for a refund and they all just said the same thing, "All sales are final." I own two PS4's and have been a PlayStation Plus member for years and have a ridiculous amount of dollars in games but I am done. I can't believe a company as large as Sony is willing to lose a customer for life over $40. I will not be treated like this. My wife says I am being silly and that I am just one customer and they won't care but they can't just steal money from people. Goodbye Sony. I hope Microsoft appreciates my money and loyalty.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Our grandson who is 10 yrs old downloaded games that clearly said they were free but was not the case. We got charged $173.00. We did a chat with customer service and they said they would refund us but later we called and now they're saying they are not going to refund it.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have had exactly the same experience as others in this Forum. After much deliberation about buying either a PS4 or Xbox for my son's 10th birthday this year, he eventually opted for a PS4. As with - too many! - other parents' experience, my son was able to rack up several hundreds of pounds' worth of "In-Game" purchases in a game called Fortnite. When my credit card company alerted me to suspicious activity I did not recognise, they immediately refunded everything.

Shortly afterwards, my son informed me that his Playstation had been "barred" and was unusable. After several successive attempts to get through Sony's Helpdesk security - which seems vastly more involved than the security steps required for a 10 year old to spend money in a game - I was eventually informed that unless an "outstanding debt" of £325 was paid, the console would remain barred.

When I asked why I would pay that debt, rather than just spending £200 on a new console, the support person admitted he didn't have a good answer to that. I have worked in Banking for my entire 25-year career, and I know two things for certain: It is illegal to give financial credit to anyone under 18 years of age. And Financial Credit Agreements require explicit consent from the individual to whom the credit is being given. I never entered into a credit agreement with Sony, and I know it would have been illegal to entrap my 10 year old son into doing so. I will be reporting this matter to the UK Financial Conduct Authority when I return to the offices of the global bank I work for. And needless to say, Sony will never receive another penny from me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I was purchasing a DLC membership good for 1 month for 10.00. PlayStation took out a 4 month membership charging my card 64.00 rather than the 10.00 1 month membership. I spoke to customer service and they told me they could not help me. I asked why and they said because they refunded me before like 2 years ago for 9.00$ and could not help me. Really? I am very disappointed with PlayStation. I've been with them for many years and gave them a lot of my money to be treated like this is unacceptable. I do not think I will be purchasing another PlayStation 4 Network membership and probably will be switching systems.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My son got a gift card from a YouTuber and used it. A couple months down the line PlayStation froze his account for a breach of terms of service. The gift card was $10, he cannot use hundreds of dollar’s worth of games loaded on the account. To make it so bad, it took 3 weeks and me calling to find out what purchase was it that was being disputed. By the way, they have no dispute resolution process for these situations or a finite amount of time to resolve investigations, respond to questions or respond to submissions for requested information. It would be one thing if they were holding up whatever my son purchased with the $10 but the whole account with nearly $1,000 of gaming purchases is a lock for a transaction that wasn't material by accounting standards. We were told we could not pay the $10.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Sony are thieves and dont care that they are harming their customers. LONG STORY SHORT: Confirmed one purchase of 25 dollars, was charged 4 times. Contacted PS right away and they argued all sales are final even though it was a glitch. LONG STORY: I attempted to purchase Vbucks for Fortnite. Vbucks are money you use in game to purchase different things. Anyway I transferred 25 dollars to my account to make the purchase. However, when I clicked to make the actual purchase I received a message that credentials were incorrect, and that the purchase didnt go through.

Then I checked all my credentials and tried again. Still didnt go through, same error. At this point I decided to wait and speak to support, due to already doing this for 15 mins or longer. However, I got an automated call from the bank asking about fraud. The transaction had been completed 3 times and was denied on the fourth attempt. All four had gone through within 4 mins. Right away I reached out to PS customer care chat... and they stated that because it was in game content they couldnt provide me my money back.

A few chats and a call later they finally got a clue and decided to put in for the refund. They explained not to play that game until refund was processed. To ensure that nothing went wrong we didnt even turn on the system. However, Almost a week later I received an email. It was declined again, but no reason why. When I called once again they stated it was due to it being in game content. Called them back and they said that was final. I asked for the next level of management. All they could give me was an mailing address. I will be mailing them a letter about how upsetting this is and how their company is stealing from their customers, by taking money when it wasnt approved.

However, I did tell the person on the phone that I would be disputing the charges with my bank as well. They then threatened my PS account stating that if the dispute was approved, that they would place my PSN account at a negative balance banning me from access to all downloadable content. What this would mean is that the Fighting game I purchased and got extra downloadable content on would no longer be available, even though I purchased this from an actual store and downloaded the content by inputting codes. It also would mean that my little girl wouldnt have access to a special avatar for a new game that came with this special downloadable content for purchasing the edition she did. In all reality this would be them stealing from me twice.

Sony, you are thieves who care nothing about who you steal from. This is not morally right to not take responsibility for a glitch in the system. It is not right to threat your customers. To add the first time I chatted on online your manager disconnected the chat before I was done asking questions. Rethink your policy otherwise PS store will lose many more customers. PS store has lost a customer in me and my family...

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

My account was hacked, the moment I saw the emails I attempted to resolve the issue, sadly Sony's customer call center is CLOSED ON WEEKENDS!!! So I had to wait over 12 hours to speak to an extremely unhelpful chat agent. After 3-4 attempted through this horrid chat system, I was able to regain account access, but because the hacker created sub accts. And asked for a refund of a high dollar purchase I made, which btw Sony processed for the hacker immediately, the one game I was looking forward to playing all weekend I no longer can. To proceed to add insult to injury Sony's horrid chat agents then tell me we are sorry but it generally takes 2-3 business days to address this issue as it must be forwarded to an outside department. What the Flip?!

Literally it takes a hacker 5 minutes to alter and lock me out of my account. But I have spend my only day off from my hardworking adult life to spend 5 hours dealing with a chat agent what could have been resolved in a 5-10min. phone conversation only to then find out that I cannot even enjoy the one thing I was looking forward to doing on my day off because it's going to take them half a work week to resolve something they can clearly see was not my doing, but which they allowed to occur in under 5 minutes. Horrid just Horrid... Especially for a business that has literally received $10000s of my hard earned dollars over the last 20 years. I will be moving to XBOX after I buy an Xbox this Black Friday and Sony will have lost a customer for life.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I've been a loyal Sony PlayStation buyer and owner since the Corporation started way back with ps1. One thing I noticed very early on was the high prices... which haven't abated since this gluttonously greedy company stopped facilitating outdated models yet still sold games... add ons... etc. They don't mind disenfranchising yet still making customers pay through the nose... I paid for movies that are no longer available on ps3 and frankly I'm going to be asking for my 3p dollars for one movie that I can no longer watch. Got a number to a service line... that doesn't work.

Good one Sony... in all seriousness... I just bought a digital game with slot of gigs to download. Only have a 111 gig system at this time so had to delete some game data. I deleted a little more than I needed to but was told I didn't have enough room so I've been forced to delete over 50 gigs to download 33 gigs. Sony is shocking for customer service and very expensive considering they literally have no overheads in a digital store. I mean... each new system isn't compatible with the last. They just LOVE making is pay for the same games whenever a new console arrives.

I'm expecting these ** to stop creating hard copies soon so we as customers are further disenfranchised. There's a huge range of further valid complaint but I'm just drained with this company. Certainly won't be buying any more merchandise once my system breaks down. I don't recommend Sony to ANYONE. Greedy Corporation. Microsoft... here I come.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My PSN account got hacked and purchases made without my authorisation. When I told to bank to reverse the charges, PlayStation banned my account. So I called up PlayStation Support and, rather than help me, they accuse me of lying about the hack and won't reinstate my account until I pay them the money that the hack tried to charge to my account. It's like being shaken down by the mob! PlayStation will never get another cent out of me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Wow, never met a company more focused on ripping off its customers. I called to get a refund for items my son purchased as an add-on to a game he does not even own and I was told that it had been too long past the purchase to return. This I understand. So when I inquired how long will they allow a return under their policy I was told they have to ask for permission on every one, they do not have a standard return policy and that the standard refund policy is they do not do returns of any kind. Not even for store credit. WOW - I never ran into a company that just kept little kids spending money when the items were defective.

I know I waited more than 30 days for the return, that often happens when you are a single mom in graduate school while also working 40 hours a week. Items get missed 'cause they are not a priority over the bigger picture. The point is that they are taking advantage of the monopoly they own on the equipment since you HAVE to purchase through them and even when you mess up they refuse to refund. The worst customer service policies I have ever encountered. They refuse to state their policies so that you can never hold them to them. What a criminal organization.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased 1 Month subscription and after it expired, it took money out of my wallet and they renewed another 1 month without my permission. This is robbery, I didn't want another month and when I called to ask for a refund they denied it. This company is a rip off, they do shady sneaky ** to steal people's money and they need to be taught a lesson and they need to get boycott. They're getting away with a bunch of **. ** thieves. No good service and their online network is garbage. Their employees don't know ** and need to be fired. Nothing but clowns work there. Stealing my money without my permission. Why is it set for automatic renewal? So they can steal people's money. I advise all of you to go to Xbox and ** this garbage Ps **. ** ungrateful snakes. Of all the money they made they still want to steal people's money.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I've been a huge fan of Sony's Playstation since PS1. However the PSN is just terrible, in my opinion, Playstation beat Xbox in hardware, but it falls so far behind Xbox with their online services, that it's downright embarrassing. I could go on and on but just to simply list one of their many problems. Something as so simple as getting a refund from the PSN subscription, (because I didn't know my subscription was on auto-pay) somehow I'm not able to get a refund? Even when the payment is still PENDING!? That would seem like the most basic thing they should be able to help you with right?! Un-freaking-believable, what a cheap and despicable tactic if you ask me.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Same credit card issues as others in this forum. Had to cancel the card and file dispute claims with my bank. PlayStation customer service could care less. I asked to speak with accounting and legal and they would not transfer me. How can this company get away with this? Complete fraud and theft!!! Never will I do business with them again.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have been with Sony PlayStation since the first PlayStation console. My son wanted to use his birthday money, $60 on Fortnite. My wife inputted her card and it said "Oops, something went wrong" error code on the screen. My son hit the "X" button and the same message popped up. On the fourth attempt it went through. Immediately, I told my wife to check the email to see what the charges were. We noticed we were charged 4 times. Before any money was used towards the account, I contacted PlayStation customer service to let them know the situation and ask for a refund. PlayStation told me they could not refund my money.

I was not happy so I went to my credit union and disputed the charges. My son tried to access the network this morning and it said we were banned. PlayStation said until I pay back the money to the account. This has been the worst customer service and it is costing us more money with all of the games we have purchased. I do not recommend PlayStation, not for the gameplay, but for the worst customer service I have ever been around. My friend had a similar situation with XBOX and they gave her a complete refund with no hassle. I'm going to spend my money with a company like that and never purchase another Sony product again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Well you should know that I received a temporary account suspension for RESPONDING to someone who messaged me insults. Apparently instead of reviewing the entire conversation, they decided to look at the clip I sent to the user. I informed customer service of the details and all they could continue to say was that they cannot unsuspend the account. So I offered for them to go into my account and read the entire thread and did not care. The supervisor was making efforts to say he resolved my question and dismiss me until I said I would be saving the conversation.

They do not have a very good policy about appeals because there is no such thing. They decide to suspend and don't care that you further investigation. I have reported people in the past, and have seen them send messages to me and still play online. Yet I received a week suspension for responding not initiating. XBOX did not do this. If someone claimed something, it was looked into. If they determined both parties were at fault both would get warnings. Or if they saw you were not the aggressor in it, they would give the other user the warning instead. Sony PS seems to be ok with suspending as someone "claims" to be the aggressor. My advice, do not invest in their product as their customer service does not care about you at all. Even if you have evidence.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I added my credit card under my son's account to purchase a game and every time he plays Fortnite game... Within the game apparently there are features you need to purchase in order to have access to... Which there seems to be a BUG that it never prompts you that you need to pay for the feature and since credit card is under the account it keeps using it without any notification or prompts or disruption to the Game.

I did Call the Support line to remove and ensure that my credit card won't be charged for anything under this account. Despite of their confirmation Unfortunately I kept being charged multiple times on different days in the following month. When I called Customer service again they are telling me that my account has been added and removed couple of times between (Oct 06 to OCt10). THIS is NOT done BY ME. (Unfortunately there is no way I can prove it) I am sure there is a BUG with the system or program that it caches your credit card number and every time you are selecting a feature within the game it just enables your card and then disables. The only option they leave you with is to CANCEL your credit card and issue a new one. Anyone has experienced this problem? Please share.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased a game on the store, it is broken to the point it is unplayable. I contacted support and they stated because I downloaded and played the game I can't get a refund... Even though it is unplayable because of glitches. I played it for 20 minutes. So $30 for a few minutes of a game. I gave them money for a product, that product is defective, I deserve a refund or credit (at the very least).

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Great company with fair practices. I have seen many complain about charges, and Sony not refunding, asking to dispute with the bank. This is for legal reasons, as I also work customer service, and have done so for many years, I can testify that this is a normal practice. If something doesn't work from a 3rd party company, it's of no fault of Sony, as they DO NOT OWN the IP of that software, therefore they are not the responsible party. Consult with the game publisher. Sony PlayStation has been a great company to play with, and anything that they are legally responsible for, they have always had my back. I have never had issues that can't be fixed when using common sense.

For those complaining about the PSN subscription renewal, it's in the email they send to you confirming the service you have signed up for. If your child lies about their age and charges your card, it's your responsibility to make sure that you don't let your card information be provided to anyone. PlayStation explicitly states the terms and conditions of use for the console and additional services. It's your own lack of responsibility. I have had issues with a couple of games published by Sony themselves, and they stand behind the products, and have been a great team to work with. Please use the product and services as intended, and following the agreement you have read fully about agreed to, and you'll have no issues. I hope you all read this, and I hope you have learned why your reviews are inappropriate and misleading.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I purchased a digital copy of Fishing Sim World from PlayStation Network. Although it worked at first, 1 day in I got an error in the game and it stopped allowing me to cast on either in-game casting mode rendering the game completely unplayable. PlayStation refused to do anything about it, leaving it to the discretion of the developer or a future patch instead of standing behind basic operation of a digital product. I worked with both a rep and supervisor in this experience to similar results. Buyer beware; I will never purchase a digital product from them again as a result of this experience (and have purchased many prior to no issue). I spent $40 on 1 day of a now completely unusable game. I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied, and treating this type of situation as a "it was in our EULA; all sales final" situation is completely unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Made a purchase of Doom for PS4 3 days ago. 9% trophy progress. Little did I know of a game breaking bug deleting progression with Kadingir Sanctum, this bug after research has been around for some years and never fixed by Bethesda. I had no clue about it until it happened to me! Today I called PlayStation to have the game refunded because of this severe game breaking bug. They refused to refund for this simply because I had a refund that was 3 years ago and the product (Doom) was used. I’m sorry but it’s digital. So they will hold this against you and it shouldn’t be that way at all. If something like this happens on this scale, you have only had the game and played for 2 days only.

You should be entitled to a refund regardless. This is the most scummy business practice I have ever witnessed in my life. They act like this is an item you bought in the store. Basically if you want a refund you can’t use the item at all make zero progression on it. That make sense to you? How would someone know if they like something or know there are heavy flaws without playing it? Other advice is to start filing complaints with the FTC, FCC and BBB, so they can actually investigate the refund policy’s that basically screws people out of a defective product. Also don’t buy anything digital from PSN. Just buy physical copies used if you can.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Beware!!! My son received a notification that his year subscription was up in 7 days (the ONLY notification) and led him to believe he WAS NOT signed up for auto renewal, so he did not realize there was anything else he needed to do to let the subscription expire. NOPE! They charged my card for another year so I called and explained the situation and they said there is a box you check for any year subscription allowing them to charge the card unless you cancel. I explained again that he thought it WAS canceled and that we don’t want another year. They said NO REFUND. AND, they proceeded to tell me if he ever reinstated his account even with a gift card it will automatically default to my card info and we would have to call and cancel AGAIN!!

I feel like this company has very deceiving practices! ANY other service I’ve ever used with auto renew at least has a grace period in which you can receive a partial refund if you cancel within that grace period. I called within 3 weeks of the charge to my card!! I’m EXTREMELY disappointed in this company and I plan on sharing my AWFUL experience with as many people as possible!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was in a chat session with Ivan who was of no help. My son was banned because of being falsely accused of using inappropriate language, his own friend thought it would be funny to report him for words that he did not say so PlayStation banned him for 1 month. PlayStation does not care and will ban people for "hearsay". I was told there was nothing they could do about it, I say that’s B.S. They just want people to spend more money on their network cards. If PS wanted to they could restore an account with the push of a button. Their network is a money making scheme and I would not recommend their garbage. Microsoft is a far better product and at least their customer support is not RUDE!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

PlayStation customer service is terrible! They have no compassion. I called in cause my son decided to make charges on our account. We have a password locked account. He creates his own account making himself “18” which he is NOT. Somehow accesses the payment area, charges $130 dollars. Call PlayStation to dispute these charges, they claim they only give 1 courtesy refund for the lifespan of your account. Really!!! PlayStation tells me to dispute with my bank. So, I do as I am told and call the bank. They reverse the charges, issue new credit card and everything seemed good.

About a month later we get hit with the charges all over again. PlayStation wouldn’t do anything to help us out. After putting everything together, my son was able to create an account without being 18, use his password instead of ours for charges, make all these charges on our account and PlayStation can’t do anything? Seems a little unfair. Sounds like they do that to ensure they will screw the parents over. Way to go PlayStation, another angered customer???

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been with PlayStation since they first came out. I have phoned and asked them to take accountability for World of Tanks and they refuse. THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER FOR THEMSELVES TO CONTACT WARGAMING. There have been hundreds of mismatches to which I have recorded. Their game supposedly has matchmaker to even the score. As well as random number generator for shots fired. I feel that PlayStation should be accountable for the games they support on PS Network. I am disgusted enough that I don’t even want to use PlayStation products anymore. Close to 30 years of being a loyal Playstation customer. Now I am disgusted and want either out of gaming entirely or move to Xbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Don't see why there's so much hate on these guys. I called today about getting access to my account after being locked out for 2 weeks and I had nothing but friendly service and they helped me get my account back. If you talk to them respectfully maybe you'll get that back instead of barking at them.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had over 1000.00 fraudulent charges to my bank account and to my Amazon charge card. They insinuated I was a liar and called my 11 yr old grandson a liar and then told him they were going to take his account away and he would not be able to use his Playstation again. He was very upset. They are the rudest people I have ever ran into. Their reason these charges were accurate is because they were charged to the serial number on his game. However they had asked for the serial number. If they were being charged from his game they would have know the serial # without me having to tell them.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

You are forced to pay $65 a year to play games you already paid $50-80 for. And then there is the DLC subscriptions to access new content that ultimately make games cost $100-200 to play over the course of 12 months. They also will auto-renew the yearly fee and refuse to refund, even if you have not used your account in 12 months. So I just paid $65 for a service I have not, and will never use. Selling the PlayStation and never purchasing a Sony product again.

Original review: June 30, 2018

When you buy games made by Sony they always cancel online support even though many people still play the games. They're a cheap company and all they care about is money not the gamer. XBOX not much better but their updates are way faster than Sony's slow speed. And XBOX has a better operating system by far. Sony is in the dark ages. I bought a Sony Pro System and see no speed increase at all even over the PS3... The PS3 is just as fast.

I like when the new systems come out. They give all of this high speed B.S. which does nothing because game companies don't want to put bucks into using quad cores. Or use all of the good graphic cards power. Only thing faster on the PS4s is that you can get into the store faster to spend your money. I still play Battlefield 3 on the PS3. It's just as fast as the BF1 game on the PS4. There is no difference... And some parts look better on the PS3. Go figure and the 3 shuts down so much faster than the 4... Faster my **.

Sony PlayStation Company Information