1.80/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

582 Sony PlayStation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I accidentally purchased a game for $64 while using my PS4 controller on my PC in another room (turning on the controller turned on the console, and as I was pressing buttons, I managed to unlock the full version of a game which I had downloaded a demo for). I've done dumb things before and am plenty capable of laughing at myself, and figured that Sony's customer service would be glad to return my money as long as I didn't download the full game and reported the issue to them quickly.

It turned out this was not the case. They would put the $64 into my PSN wallet, but not into my bank account. This was absurd because they should have been able to see that I contacted them minutes after making a mistake, and that's exactly what it was, a mistake. I had no intention of spending $64 on video games or digital content, and I needed that money for other things. Once your money enters their system though, they won't help you get it back because it's "against terms of service."

No one reads EULAs, and honestly, keeping a customer happy in situations like this is worth much more in the long run than keeping my $64 right now. This seems like a cutthroat way to run a business and it's certainly no way to treat loyal customers. I've been told that Microsoft's support on the Xbox is much more consumer-friendly than this. I'm strongly considering abandoning my investment in PlayStation products and switching platforms, because as these systems inevitably become more digital-first, being locked into a platform with customer service this bad doesn't feel great. Unhappy with this experience.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have the PlayStation 4 and I think it's better than the Xbox Xbox One. PlayStation 4 it just has a lot better graphics plus I get the PlayStation VR that is really great. We love it. We need that decide to get the PlayStation 1 and I really didn't like it. I just thought that PlayStation 4 had better X graphics on it so we went back to the PlayStation 4.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 15, 2019

Auto-renew happened last night for 3-month PSN at 26.49. Had forgot that was going to happen as most of us might not keep track of that, thought I would get an email that it would happen but did not. 1-year PSN is currently on sale at Best Buy for 45.00 so I was going to buy that instead. I called PlayStation and asked for a refund and was told nicely to screw off by a sales rep and a sales manager, first I asked for a complete refund, then asked for credit (how do they lose out on that?) and then asked if I could get a year and pay the difference up to the 45 for a year, NO NO and yea No.

Honestly my fault for forgetting to cancel, but as a consumer having PlayStation since inception and PSN since inception it just feels bad to have nothing done for you. I have been thinking of downgrading to one console and pc and they just made my mind up for me. No PS5 in my future. As a warning to others I have canceled this charge and was told this would get my PSN network banned and that I would have to pay the 26.49 to be in good standing again, I am fine with being banned. If they will not help a client that has been with them for 19 years over a 26.49 purchase then I guess I'll be banned and never spend another dollar with PlayStation.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had my girlfriend download the Division 2 which came out today. Instead, she mistakenly purchased and downloaded the Division 1 game. I opened the game and as soon as it started I realized this was the wrong one. No big deal, I figure I would just call support and explain the situation and they could refund the money or credit my account. NOPE. They absolutely won't do anything to help me. I understand, this was a mistake on my end of things and they didn't mess up on doing anything. But for the sake of having happy clients I can't believe they refuse to do a single thing. I was considering switching to Xbox and this was the tipping point for me. I already have my system sold on FB marketplace and will be getting Xbox tomorrow. Good riddance.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Lost access to my work phone which was registered for 2 factor authentication since I changed jobs. Had signed out of user then tried to sign back in with no luck since couldn't get the 2 factor code. I thought ok I'll dig up the backup codes but couldn't find them. So then thought ok I'll just call them to sort it out, but used online customer help first. After answering a dozen questions to verify me, they told me I would just have to create a new account. I told them I had no plans to create a new account and requested a manager I can call. No luck.

I offered to answer more questions to help them identify me and they just said sorry. So I've spent a ridiculous amount of money with PS to have some very poor authentication protocol block my account. I already have 2 Xboxes in my house so I plan to get rid of Playstation and get a 3rd Xbox. I've never once had a problem with Xbox but every time I attempt to resolve a Playstation issue, all I get is a runaround and people who cannot help. I would give a 0 star if available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: March 2, 2019

This morning I purchased a PlayStation Now subscription. I spent about two hours fighting with my Playstation, router, and modem to try and make it work, which failed miserably. I then spent nearly an hour trying to find any way to contact customer service. After I found a link that didn't redirect me back to their contact page, and fifteen minutes of waiting for a chat CSR to become available, I was told they don't do refunds.

Now I would like to know what other industry refuses to refund a customer on a product that they can't use just three hours after they have purchased said product. I'll be calling on Monday, but expect the same response. This is downright criminal, especially when their website states 14 days to get a refund on a PS Now subscription. Maybe time to lawyer up?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

In December, I had added my VISA to our PlayStation Network account. In the past, I had been very careful to only buy Playstation Network gift cards to add money. Unfortunately, I had not clicked the correct button to "Require authorization on each purchase", which resulted in my 6 year old suddenly realizing that he could magically have millions of coins in a game called Plants vs. Zombies. I was notified by my credit card company that many transactions (over $500) were being posted by PlayStation throughout the week. I immediately called PlayStation customer support, and spoke with a "helpful" customer service rep who indicated that they would process a refund as a measure of "goodwill" but it would only be available to me once, and then they added the proper authorizations to require a password on future purchases. Great!!

5 days later, I receive an email saying the request has been denied, and I would not receive a refund. I called customer service again, being told this time that the first rep should not have told me I could get a refund. I went all the way up to the VP in California, and he indicated "too bad, this is our policy, we won't refund it". So, I was out $500. I was also warned by the individual in California that if I did a chargeback, Sony would ban my account forever. So... moral of this story is that Sony is an absolute horrible company. Up until this situation, I had always purchased many Sony products. But, unless this ever is rectified (which it won't be, as really... who else could I possibly talk to? The CEO in Japan??), I'm done with Sony. And, have made sure to explain this to every person I know. Thanks Sony!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I can't believe you cannot get ahold of someone or your money back. This is the worst company to dump money into. I've supported PlayStation my whole life, but thanks to this I'll be smashing my PS4 and never buying a single thing from these people. Ever!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I woke up to a few charges in my bank account. First thing I do is turn the card off, call my bank, have it cancelled and disputed the charges. They tell me to call PlayStation so I do. After talking to the customer service rep, he tells me he can only check my account, but only one. So I wait for a supervisor as I have 2, you have to have a separate account for each PS4 or it kicks you off.

So after about 40 minutes they verify that neither of my accounts have any charges recently. They also inform me that they can't do anything about the charges because they can only do that through the user account, doesn't matter that it's my card and my bank account. They supposedly have a fraud department that you can't talk to. So the only thing I can do after being a customer for over 20 years is the disputed bank transaction. As far as I'm concerned they stole my money, I know it's more probable that they just don't care about the account that stole my card number and they're probably processing more transactions with more stolen card numbers right now.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My son purchased a subscription for one month. All of a sudden, all these different charges started coming in. We called customer service and told them that we only paid for a subscription. Several more charges came in, so we removed the card. After we removed the card, 300.00 more of charges came in. I disputed it with my credit card and they completely banned my son’s account. Just a ripoff. I want to know how to file a class action lawsuit against them. Illegally charging credit cards without authorization.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have had PlayStation systems for many years and while I sometimes have had minor issues with how complicated PlayStation makes their process, I’ve never been bothered enough to make a formal complaint. Due to a recent financial burden I was forced to cut back on several of my normal expenses. I did not remember to cancel my annual PS4 subscription. I’m not going to get into how hard it is to contact a live person by phone but then when you finally do talk to someone they can’t really help you.

I was able to get “credit” added to my virtual wallet, but that money is as good as gone because PlayStation will not return money once it gets into their virtual wallet. So if you have a credit card connected to your PS4 account, understand that if/when PlayStation charges you on a recurring fee or an accidental purchase that money is gone. And I say if/when because if you’re a normal working person that doesn’t run through your PS4 settings every day, their weird pre game options with their little yoga background music WILL confuse you. It was only a $60 loss, but the frustration was enough for me to end my PlayStation days. I have just as many friends on X-Box that I can connect with. My unfortunate financial situation will pass very soon and when it does I’m making a change to X-Box. PlayStation you can keep my $60, you won’t get another penny out of me.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Please do not buy Sony TV's or PlayStation Products. The equipment is poor quality and they do not stand behind their product. Sony TV and other electronics technology is way behind their competitors. When it comes to PlayStation and gaming they will auto-bill you without notifying you and refuse to issue any credit because they have a no refund clause buried in the terms agreement that no one reads!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I accidentally purchased an extra item that had been lingering in my cart for some time. I immediately contacted support in hopes for a refund but was denied due to a previous refund of $2.99 add on for a game I never owned, also, this dates back to 7/14 on my PS3. It’s 2019 and was denied a $60 refund for a PS4 game I had no intention of playing or purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I am not a pro but I enjoy playing the game and it helps me relax. I use to play a game called Spyro. Will you be rebuilding this game. I also played Breath of Fire, which was a good game too. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My son purchased a PS4+ 12 and it charged me twice, I contacted C/S and even though they see the double transaction they are only giving me the credit in wallet dollars to spend with them. This is shady business practice. Kelly the c/s agent, says this is the company policy and that's all she can do. This is stealing and unethical behavior by the company and needs to be treated as fraud. How many accounts that are double charged go unnoticed? Even if you do notice the company keeps the money anyways. "Company policy"??? Sony is defrauding its customers.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

We have every Playstation system and they all still work. We love Playstation, it’s a well-made product. Any time we have had problems they have been rectified by manufacturing company. I will keep buying these systems just because the product has always worked for us.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I will never change my system. Have a PlayStation, I happy with the system. The graph is a gate that way that control feel it’s better than the Xbox. I think this system is getting better and better games same.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The gaming system is very durable, a bit too expensive for the selection of games but overall it's a good gaming system and the system would be a lot better if you added more types of games, preferably remastered games to get old players and make the new players happy.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Me and my other cousins got PS4s for Christmas and we all try to verify our accounts and it keep saying, "Error this page can't be explored," and we tried the next day and still said the same thing. We kept trying and it won't work. We tried support but nothing came up with our situation. I also have friends that had the same problem.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

So my son is in the military and stationed in another state, away from his PS4. Someone hacks his account and makes 3 purchases of $99.99. They log him out of all chat room and forums linked to his account. Set their PS4 as primary and deactivated his. I have proof of how long it's been since his PS4 has even been active. Gave Sony all the info needed (IP, Mac Lan, Mac Wifi) to prove the purchase didn't come from his PS4 because they state it came from a PS4 logged in with only his account. Sony will not refund.

Apparently the purchased items were "in game" purchases and used. That shouldn't matter. They have the information needed to know that the account was hacked. They can trail where the purchases were made, but they are more worried about protecting themselves than protecting the consumers. Then to top it off, if you dispute the charges with the company that the purchases were charged to, Sony locks your account until you pay that amount. You lose anything you actually DID purchase yourself through the years. So either way you are stuck paying for something you didn't do. Thanks SONY for NOTHING.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I’ve owned almost every game system on the market, but the ps4 has the most options. The menus are easy to navigate, and it has many great features like storage, wifi, Bluetooth, etc. The games available are sure to offer for everyone.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

PS4 is the best. I only play the sports games. I’m 72 years old and I love the PS4. I’ve tried others but I don’t like them like I like the PS4. I play the basketball, baseball ⚾️, hockey and football games.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

It feels really good, whenever, I'm playing the Ps4. Very easy manipulation for an older person. I use the ps4 as a relaxation technique, whenever, I feel stressed. Ps4 makes my day. I often compete with others, whenever I'm feeling competitive.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My toddler purchased almost $160 worth of content without my knowledge. The first person I called helped me to set up security and guaranteed a refund within 3-5 business days as a “show of good faith”. Refund was suddenly denied, citing I had used the content (nobody had even been on my account in days) and they informed me that it didn’t matter what the first guy told me that they don’t do refunds. Thanks, Sony. Trading in my PS4 and going to Microsoft. Maybe their customer service isn’t complete rubbish.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've only ever used the PS One, it's really simple to use and it plays my games. I had my first one for 10+ years, had to replace it because the video capabilities went bad. The replacement works just as good as the original.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Got hacked today. The hacker wasted my wallet balance (30$), thankfully I did not have any working payment methods attached. I regained control of the account and contacted Sony customer support asking for a refund or at least a punishment for the hacker (that would give me some consolation). They said about the punishment: "We can't go that far, he did it from the browser and we don't have his PS4 tracked" (untrue - he clearly did log in from PS4 because my PS4 got deactivated as primary and I was logged out with a message saying that someone logged in on another device, that does not happen when you log in from browser).

Since they told me that he did it from browser, I asked if the game was ever downloaded. They said NO, but still refused to refund it since all sales in US store are final (apparently, even if they are fraudulent). They never challenged my version and never told they don't believe me it was a fraud. Plain and simple they said - "we're sorry for this (fraud), but we'll do nothing about this. All transactions are final, goodbye."

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

The PS is a well-built system. Graphics are very good. Response time on the joystick are excellent. Price is very reasonable. Although it could have more memory will make it much more appealing. It is a great value compared to the competition.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

So, my experience may not be as major as others but I'm still pissed off. I was charged $30 for PlayStation Plus my son signed up for without me knowing. I called customer support and was told they would grant me a one time refund. 10 days later still nothing. I have online chatted with two of their staff and were told the money was refunded back to my virtual wallet and I agreed to it. NO I DID NOT! I even have the confirmation email from the person stating my refund would come back to me in so many days. Now they just tell me there is nothing they can do since the first agent refunded it to the wallet. Serious scammers!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I found the controller to be difficult to use. And it took too much time to charge. Overall I think the PS3 to be not user friendly. I wouldn’t recommend the PS3 to a beginner user. Some games just seem to be too repetitive.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My son was thinking he was getting things for free and payment was defaulting to my credit card without my authorization. Purchasing crap on Fortnite. Anyway, 300$ in and I got a notification from the bank. I immediately disputed the charges with the bank and called Sony. I was told they would refund my money because I was eligible for a "goodwill" gesture. The woman at Sony told me that if the credit card dispute goes through, that would be fraud since they are refunding me my money and also refunding the card. She also told me they would ban my son's account, not allowing him to play any of the thousands of dollars worth of games he has already paid for.

I told her that's like getting caught stealing from a store and the store comes to your house and takes all the things you paid for... It doesn't work like that. She assured me that if I cancelled the credit card dispute all would be well and within 5 days the money would be refunded. I cancelled the dispute, but it was too late not to cancel my card. After reading some of these reviews, now I'm glad that card was cancelled. Anyway, three days later my son gets an email stating that the refund could not be done due to "terms of service."

I called Sony and went through two agents and a supervisor. All told me the same variety of things, all resulting in a "too bad, so sad" scenario along with the same threat to ban my son's account. The last supervisor told me they couldn't refund the money because it was essentially already spent (on unused "v-bucks") and if they receive a chargeback from MasterCard they will bill my son for the "v bucks"... I told him that's not how it works. I explained; If I dispute a charge to Sony on my credit card, that issue is now between the credit card company and Sony.

If Sony refunds my credit card, that's where it ends. If Sony used the money to purchase imaginary things in the game then that's Sony's problem and if they have a legitimate issue with it they should not have accepted the chargeback. They cannot charge a minor to pay back the money they were made to pay back to me. He disagreed with me and told me again, if I pursue the dispute with the bank, my son's account would be banned and he would not be able to play his games until the debt was paid. He assured me they were not "taking" his games, just his access to them... I asked the supervisor to explain to me how that is not extortion. He had no answer except that they were not taking the games, merely access.

It is the very definition of extortion. Pay us the $300 or you lose "access" to your $3000 already spent. Then there's "pre-orders." My son has also spent $90 on some digital pre-order that we will never have access to if I dispute the $300! Unflippingbelievable! I have never seen such a brazen scam. And the more I look into this, it wreaks... Sony's got kids buying "Gift cards" to load their "wallet" and buying digital versions of games that can be taken away from them at the drop of a hat. I thought the "membership" was sneaky but this is a whole new level of institutional piracy. If kids make a mistake with their purchase and actually get a refund, it goes in this "wallet." Uh... that's not real money. Talk about shopping at the company store...

Kids, do not buy any digital games, "skins" or whatever these snakes try to get you to buy. They can take it away, you can never resell it, if you close your account or you get banned you own NOTHING. This is an elaborate, but old scam revisited for the digital age of "gift cards" and they're preying on kids. These ** are bandits, absolute bandits. Do not give Sony a penny, this company deserves to burn to the ground for stealing lemonade-stand money like they do. If you work for this company, quit. You do not want that karmic load.

Sony PlayStation Company Information