1.40/5

515 Sony PlayStation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I added my credit card under my son's account to purchase a game and every time he plays Fortnite game... Within the game apparently there are features you need to purchase in order to have access to... Which there seems to be a BUG that it never prompts you that you need to pay for the feature and since credit card is under the account it keeps using it without any notification or prompts or disruption to the Game.

I did Call the Support line to remove and ensure that my credit card won't be charged for anything under this account. Despite of their confirmation Unfortunately I kept being charged multiple times on different days in the following month. When I called Customer service again they are telling me that my account has been added and removed couple of times between (Oct 06 to OCt10). THIS is NOT done BY ME. (Unfortunately there is no way I can prove it) I am sure there is a BUG with the system or program that it caches your credit card number and every time you are selecting a feature within the game it just enables your card and then disables. The only option they leave you with is to CANCEL your credit card and issue a new one. Anyone has experienced this problem? Please share.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased a game on the store, it is broken to the point it is unplayable. I contacted support and they stated because I downloaded and played the game I can't get a refund... Even though it is unplayable because of glitches. I played it for 20 minutes. So $30 for a few minutes of a game. I gave them money for a product, that product is defective, I deserve a refund or credit (at the very least).

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Great company with fair practices. I have seen many complain about charges, and Sony not refunding, asking to dispute with the bank. This is for legal reasons, as I also work customer service, and have done so for many years, I can testify that this is a normal practice. If something doesn't work from a 3rd party company, it's of no fault of Sony, as they DO NOT OWN the IP of that software, therefore they are not the responsible party. Consult with the game publisher. Sony PlayStation has been a great company to play with, and anything that they are legally responsible for, they have always had my back. I have never had issues that can't be fixed when using common sense.

For those complaining about the PSN subscription renewal, it's in the email they send to you confirming the service you have signed up for. If your child lies about their age and charges your card, it's your responsibility to make sure that you don't let your card information be provided to anyone. PlayStation explicitly states the terms and conditions of use for the console and additional services. It's your own lack of responsibility. I have had issues with a couple of games published by Sony themselves, and they stand behind the products, and have been a great team to work with. Please use the product and services as intended, and following the agreement you have read fully about agreed to, and you'll have no issues. I hope you all read this, and I hope you have learned why your reviews are inappropriate and misleading.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I purchased a digital copy of Fishing Sim World from PlayStation Network. Although it worked at first, 1 day in I got an error in the game and it stopped allowing me to cast on either in-game casting mode rendering the game completely unplayable. PlayStation refused to do anything about it, leaving it to the discretion of the developer or a future patch instead of standing behind basic operation of a digital product. I worked with both a rep and supervisor in this experience to similar results. Buyer beware; I will never purchase a digital product from them again as a result of this experience (and have purchased many prior to no issue). I spent $40 on 1 day of a now completely unusable game. I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied, and treating this type of situation as a "it was in our EULA; all sales final" situation is completely unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Made a purchase of Doom for PS4 3 days ago. 9% trophy progress. Little did I know of a game breaking bug deleting progression with Kadingir Sanctum, this bug after research has been around for some years and never fixed by Bethesda. I had no clue about it until it happened to me! Today I called PlayStation to have the game refunded because of this severe game breaking bug. They refused to refund for this simply because I had a refund that was 3 years ago and the product (Doom) was used. I’m sorry but it’s digital. So they will hold this against you and it shouldn’t be that way at all. If something like this happens on this scale, you have only had the game and played for 2 days only.

You should be entitled to a refund regardless. This is the most scummy business practice I have ever witnessed in my life. They act like this is an item you bought in the store. Basically if you want a refund you can’t use the item at all make zero progression on it. That make sense to you? How would someone know if they like something or know there are heavy flaws without playing it? Other advice is to start filing complaints with the FTC, FCC and BBB, so they can actually investigate the refund policy’s that basically screws people out of a defective product. Also don’t buy anything digital from PSN. Just buy physical copies used if you can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Beware!!! My son received a notification that his year subscription was up in 7 days (the ONLY notification) and led him to believe he WAS NOT signed up for auto renewal, so he did not realize there was anything else he needed to do to let the subscription expire. NOPE! They charged my card for another year so I called and explained the situation and they said there is a box you check for any year subscription allowing them to charge the card unless you cancel. I explained again that he thought it WAS canceled and that we don’t want another year. They said NO REFUND. AND, they proceeded to tell me if he ever reinstated his account even with a gift card it will automatically default to my card info and we would have to call and cancel AGAIN!!

I feel like this company has very deceiving practices! ANY other service I’ve ever used with auto renew at least has a grace period in which you can receive a partial refund if you cancel within that grace period. I called within 3 weeks of the charge to my card!! I’m EXTREMELY disappointed in this company and I plan on sharing my AWFUL experience with as many people as possible!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was in a chat session with Ivan who was of no help. My son was banned because of being falsely accused of using inappropriate language, his own friend thought it would be funny to report him for words that he did not say so PlayStation banned him for 1 month. PlayStation does not care and will ban people for "hearsay". I was told there was nothing they could do about it, I say that’s B.S. They just want people to spend more money on their network cards. If PS wanted to they could restore an account with the push of a button. Their network is a money making scheme and I would not recommend their garbage. Microsoft is a far better product and at least their customer support is not RUDE!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

PlayStation customer service is terrible! They have no compassion. I called in cause my son decided to make charges on our account. We have a password locked account. He creates his own account making himself “18” which he is NOT. Somehow accesses the payment area, charges $130 dollars. Call PlayStation to dispute these charges, they claim they only give 1 courtesy refund for the lifespan of your account. Really!!! PlayStation tells me to dispute with my bank. So, I do as I am told and call the bank. They reverse the charges, issue new credit card and everything seemed good.

About a month later we get hit with the charges all over again. PlayStation wouldn’t do anything to help us out. After putting everything together, my son was able to create an account without being 18, use his password instead of ours for charges, make all these charges on our account and PlayStation can’t do anything? Seems a little unfair. Sounds like they do that to ensure they will screw the parents over. Way to go PlayStation, another angered customer???

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been with PlayStation since they first came out. I have phoned and asked them to take accountability for World of Tanks and they refuse. THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER FOR THEMSELVES TO CONTACT WARGAMING. There have been hundreds of mismatches to which I have recorded. Their game supposedly has matchmaker to even the score. As well as random number generator for shots fired. I feel that PlayStation should be accountable for the games they support on PS Network. I am disgusted enough that I don’t even want to use PlayStation products anymore. Close to 30 years of being a loyal Playstation customer. Now I am disgusted and want either out of gaming entirely or move to Xbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Don't see why there's so much hate on these guys. I called today about getting access to my account after being locked out for 2 weeks and I had nothing but friendly service and they helped me get my account back. If you talk to them respectfully maybe you'll get that back instead of barking at them.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had over 1000.00 fraudulent charges to my bank account and to my Amazon charge card. They insinuated I was a liar and called my 11 yr old grandson a liar and then told him they were going to take his account away and he would not be able to use his Playstation again. He was very upset. They are the rudest people I have ever ran into. Their reason these charges were accurate is because they were charged to the serial number on his game. However they had asked for the serial number. If they were being charged from his game they would have know the serial # without me having to tell them.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

You are forced to pay $65 a year to play games you already paid $50-80 for. And then there is the DLC subscriptions to access new content that ultimately make games cost $100-200 to play over the course of 12 months. They also will auto-renew the yearly fee and refuse to refund, even if you have not used your account in 12 months. So I just paid $65 for a service I have not, and will never use. Selling the PlayStation and never purchasing a Sony product again.

Original review: June 30, 2018

When you buy games made by Sony they always cancel online support even though many people still play the games. They're a cheap company and all they care about is money not the gamer. XBOX not much better but their updates are way faster than Sony's slow speed. And XBOX has a better operating system by far. Sony is in the dark ages. I bought a Sony Pro System and see no speed increase at all even over the PS3... The PS3 is just as fast.

I like when the new systems come out. They give all of this high speed B.S. which does nothing because game companies don't want to put bucks into using quad cores. Or use all of the good graphic cards power. Only thing faster on the PS4s is that you can get into the store faster to spend your money. I still play Battlefield 3 on the PS3. It's just as fast as the BF1 game on the PS4. There is no difference... And some parts look better on the PS3. Go figure and the 3 shuts down so much faster than the 4... Faster my **.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I like Playstation Vue when it works. It will randomly kick you out... Then won't allow you to log back in... for no good reason. Then... "your wait is over 60 minutes" or "there are 140 people in front of you in the chat line."

Original review: June 12, 2018

So my 12 year old son has an online PlayStation account so that he can play online with his friends. The subscription is set up to come out of my bank every 3 months. So apparently my son's account got hacked. His password was changed and someone started buying stuff on his account on Fortnite. After several hundreds of dollars were spent in about 5 minutes, I contacted Epic Games, whom told me to contact PlayStation. I called PlayStation, but can never get anyone on the phone. I have emailed them as well and guess what NO response. Thankfully my bank refunded the money to me. BUT my son is still without his account and who knows who has it and our info because NO one will respond. Horrible customer service!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

For more than 3 months I have been calling PlayStation for Help and they couldn't sort it out. They ask me to open Ports, check IP, delete, create, take my PS4 to some friends house, check cable... During almost 3 months. Then, I have paid 150 Euros, got the PS4 replaced for another but the problem persisted. I had paid PLUS but I cannot use the service, and ask for the money but they only ask me to try to connect again! Or someone will be in contact with me. Nobody call me and give solutions or money. Then I have create another account with a different email and it works the connection with PSN, but they cannot transfer PLUS into my new account!!! I feel like a victim.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Wish I could give 0 stars! Poorest customer service I have ever received!!! CROOKS!!! Online account was setup by 13 year olds without my knowledge. Grandfather approved 3 charges on credit card... received statement and there were 86 transactions on account ranging from $6.99- $133.49. Called and requested a refund asap. Was told company can only go back 30 days - 52 transactions totaling $1,235... as a goodwill gesture. Told to wait 3-5 business days for credit. Checked 5 days later only $397.72 was credited! Called PlayStation and they tell me that was all that was approved for the credit! Even though 5 days ago I was told they would give me the $1,235.42 credit!

Manager came on and proceeded to tell me that was all that was approved and this was the best they could do and that there was no record of the other amount on file... convenient if you ask me!!! They also told me anyone can setup an account as they figure an adult would be present. Also virtual money has a price attached to it in the game. My kids had no idea and are very upset about everything!!! I even offered to close account. PlayStation stands firm at this is the best they can do and policy is policy... even if it was agreed to by at 13 year old. ???

Original review: May 11, 2018

Got a PS4 Pro more than a year ago and is making a really bad fan noise like a jet engine taking off in your room. I've contacted Sony support chat and they were very unhelpful, I spoke to the supervisor who gave me different information than the first person I spoke with. Overall, it was a waste of time to talk to support and Sony has to check their products before selling it to the public because a lot of people are having the same fan issues and some are out of warranty. Shame on Sony.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Sony took it upon themselves to charge my PayPal account for a service I didn't want based on a gift card I'd received earlier for said service that had expired. When I tried to contact them to get the service cancelled and refunded on the same day they told me too bad essentially so I was forced to charge back via PayPal to get my money back (thanks PayPal!) But this resulted in my account being banned. Luckily my account didn't have anything of worth on it, awful company policies.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My PlayStation 4 became corrupt and the console needed to be wiped and reset. We decided to call and figure out what would happen if we did the system reset and if there was a way around it. The first person told me that with PlayStation Plus no information would be lost, as at that time VC for NBA 2k18 had been purchased and my husband just completed a game the day before. We wiped the system and the re-downloaded the games. All the information was gone on the accounts most used. Come to find out plus would need to be on all other accounts used on the PlayStation in order for the information not to be lost. I was not given that information prior, even though they could see that Plus was only on one account. Calling them back to see what could be done about it I was told nothing could be done and to write a letter to corporate to complain. What's that gonna do? I just hung up.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Back in February I had my PlayStation Network account compromised with a few unauthorized purchases made. I was very please to find out that Sony was on top of their game and recognized the fraudulent charges, froze my account, and immediately refunded my money. I immediately had my debit card, associated with my account, turned off. Once I was able to get a new card, issued by my bank, I had my PS Network account reinstated and I applied my new debit card to my account. Since then I have not attempted to make any new purchases from my PS network account. Recently I tried to make a purchase on the PlayStation Network, with the new debit card. I started getting errors stating my card information was not correct. I've read all the forums, I understand that the slightest little mistake and even capitalization matters when something like this happens.

I triple checked all my info (account info and payment/wallet info) to ensure everything was correct, matching, and all capitalization matched as well. I called PlayStation Network Customer service and over the course of 2 days and over 2 hours on the phone troubleshooting with them and my bank (which my bank had everything clear on their end), I find out that because my account was compromised, Sony PlayStation Network can no longer accept any form of payment from my bank account again! What company does this?!?! It isn't my fault some low life hacker got into my account! Now because of some stupid system design my bank account has been blocked by Sony and they won't take payment from that account!

I was told I could go and buy gift cards off of Amazon if I wanted to make a purchase on the PlayStation network again! This is completely unacceptable! The system is in place as a convenience, for players who want to purchase digital content, at the touch of a button. Now because my account was compromised I can no longer use that service even though I was a victim of fraud! I got no resolution with a customer service supervisor. They didn't try to refer me to higher level management or a different department, specialist, nothing! They just gave up! Terrible customer service! Terrible business practice! I will never do business with Sony PlayStation again!

Original review: April 27, 2018

2 Days before Christmas I signed up for a 7 day free trial of PlayStation now so that my son could check out a new game. What I didn't realize was at the end of the 7 day trial, they would automatically start charging my account $19.99 per month. I used an e-mail that I rarely use when I signed up, so it took 5 months before I caught the erroneous charges. I called PlayStation customer service to get these charged credited as I clearly had not used this service at all. They told me that they would only give me one month back. The rest were non-refundable.

As a long time PlayStation customer, I feel extremely jaded. I feel like Playstation took my money by tricking me. They chose to put re-occurring charges on my account and proceeded to take advantage of me when I was getting a gift for my son. They covered themselves by having the fine print. This speaks to the lack of integrity they have as a company. I am extremely disappointed with Sony and plan never to do business with them again. In the future, I will choose a company that displays high integrity with their customers. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I cannot understand how a product this popular can have this kind of "customer service." The phone support people are basically impossible to understand, but it seems like all they do is tell you "go to website please sir" so not even sure why they have a phone center. I spent three hours today trying to just put a new credit card on my son's account. Finally thought I'd succeeded, then just now got an email saying the subscription is now canceled. I can't believe how hard they make it to PAY; can't imagine how bad the customer service is if you actually need something from them. Beyond belief.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Trying to log into my account after many months and being locked out, I call customer service. I was told that my PS ID has been banned because my account was hacked and a charge was reversed for a game that I didn't purchase. The email was change 2 days before the purchase was made and so was the billing information, which was during the time of your security breach where a lot PlayStation consumers' information was compromised. PlayStation needs to make this right. Your network gets hacked a while back, so I lose my ID and 15+ years of gaming. What's even crazier is being told to pay for a game that's 2 years old, and that I have never played. There's no history of the game ever being purchased on my console. I never give out my login information and I never sign in on other consoles. Yet the punishment is ID banishment!!!

I'm destroyed by this fact, as I have put in countless hours of my time to play the Titles that you have provided and I am contemplating giving up gaming all together and not investing in any Sony products moving forward. There's something that can be done, because we did have a PlayStation representative, try to take the banned off because it was the right thing to do. There could've been a gift card offered to cover the fraudulent reversed charges to reinstate my ID, but except for that one representative, we were given a cold shoulder and basically told to kick rocks. I know there's a retention department, but I was never referred to them. Basically telling me that, as a consumer, my business meant less than nothing. So now my husband is in a position, as a loyal PlayStation advocate since 1996, questioning how much longer will it be before he's being treated the same way. Just make this right.

Original review: April 17, 2018

PlayStation took 115.24 out of my account they weren’t authorized to take. I had to dispute it with my bank to get my money back. Because I got my money back they banned my sons account that I have spent hundreds of dollars on. Spoke to them and they are absolutely no help whatsoever. My boys will be going back to Microsoft Xbox. PlayStation is a joke and I do not recommend them to anybody. Customer service barely speaks English too so you can’t understand them.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have gone through 3 PS4 in the last 3 years. It's beyond a joke how crap the quality is. Also I was a PS plus member and had it set to back up my saves. When my last console died it didn't back my data up. Sony didn't care. All I use it for now is Netflix and Youtube. That's about all it's good for. Would I recommend Sony? No way. They need to look after their consumers. I ended up going back to pc gaming. I built a mini console size pc for a under 600 AUD and I use controller companion so it's like a console but don't have to deal with the crappy to no service from Sony. Sure I miss out on Sony exclusives but I can live with that. People would be better off buying a pc that can play most games and can use it like a console. Don't have to pay to play online and get games cheap. I will never go back to Sony even if you paid me.

Original review: April 9, 2018

All parents should know that if your child spends money (accidentally) on a SONY PS4 game without your knowledge, SONY has no recourse to reimburse you. This happened once before to me a few years ago in the iOS ecosystem and Apple was great to work with. My son got a PS4 PRO for Christmas and for some reason (possibly my own fault for sure), no password was required for him to make purchases and he racked up hundreds of dollars on a single game. I found out about 6 weeks in, chatted with SONY online and they agreed to reimburse me for anything that was less than 30 days old.

A little more than a month later, I contacted them because I never saw the refund come through. I was told by another support agent that the "upper management" had denied it and was told to read the Wallet agreement and that all sales are final. I understand this is possibly my error but when it comes to dealing with minors, SONY needs to understand that mistakes can be made - especially when you are getting up and running. If you are on the fence about buying a PS4 versus another gaming console, I would consider looking elsewhere until customer service approves.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Switched from Wii to PS4. I HATE the controls don’t have batteries. With 4 kids, the cord never charges. Now have two controls won’t charge! PLEASE fix this without making customers buy new controls!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I’ve used the PlayStation store for many years and have all the consoles. But it's been a while since I used my PSP. I dug it out and I have spent lots of money on games on the store for all my consoles. But when I logged in to the store it refused my details yet I never changed them. So I went to the 2 stage change details facility and changed my password but then it said it's sent a pin code to my mobile phone. It went to an old number as I changed it and forgot to update this. So I can’t access my games that I own outright.

I called PlayStation support and they asked if I had proof of purchase and certain account details. Now all my purchases were done through the PayPal link on your store and they said that’s not good enough. They said I must have emails confirming purchases. I can’t find these emails. My only proof of purchase is through PayPal. If this PayPal very secure payment method isn’t good enough proof of purchase (which shows transaction ID and invoice number) Then why do you use this?

I have spent a lot of money online with PSP. PS3 and PS4, not to mention all the games I purchased in store. Surely you’re not going to tell me “That’s it, I can’t have my products that I own” As that is theft. Surely you can do something or I will fight this and take it further as I’m absolutely disgusted on being made to feel frustrated and wound up.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I wrote them about a PlayStation that I had bought second hand. When I went to login it said I was system banned. So I contacted them which waiting for them to respond was seemed like days. At first they brushed me off. Only saying contact the seller. When I explained to them that I bought it off a local eBay and could not get my money back they wrote me back not responding to me by name but by "Dear Contact" and then said there was nothing they could do. Saying I could not challenge the decision. As I explained to them. There is no mods or hacks on my system but they would not hear it and I cannot use the stuff that I bought on the PSN store. None of this mattered.

Sony PlayStation Company Information