1.24/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

491 Sony PlayStation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

PlayStation took 115.24 out of my account they weren’t authorized to take. I had to dispute it with my bank to get my money back. Because I got my money back they banned my sons account that I have spent hundreds of dollars on. Spoke to them and they are absolutely no help whatsoever. My boys will be going back to Microsoft Xbox. PlayStation is a joke and I do not recommend them to anybody. Customer service barely speaks English too so you can’t understand them.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have gone through 3 PS4 in the last 3 years. It's beyond a joke how crap the quality is. Also I was a PS plus member and had it set to back up my saves. When my last console died it didn't back my data up. Sony didn't care. All I use it for now is Netflix and Youtube. That's about all it's good for. Would I recommend Sony? No way. They need to look after their consumers. I ended up going back to pc gaming. I built a mini console size pc for a under 600 AUD and I use controller companion so it's like a console but don't have to deal with the crappy to no service from Sony. Sure I miss out on Sony exclusives but I can live with that. People would be better off buying a pc that can play most games and can use it like a console. Don't have to pay to play online and get games cheap. I will never go back to Sony even if you paid me.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2018

All parents should know that if your child spends money (accidentally) on a SONY PS4 game without your knowledge, SONY has no recourse to reimburse you. This happened once before to me a few years ago in the iOS ecosystem and Apple was great to work with. My son got a PS4 PRO for Christmas and for some reason (possibly my own fault for sure), no password was required for him to make purchases and he racked up hundreds of dollars on a single game. I found out about 6 weeks in, chatted with SONY online and they agreed to reimburse me for anything that was less than 30 days old.

A little more than a month later, I contacted them because I never saw the refund come through. I was told by another support agent that the "upper management" had denied it and was told to read the Wallet agreement and that all sales are final. I understand this is possibly my error but when it comes to dealing with minors, SONY needs to understand that mistakes can be made - especially when you are getting up and running. If you are on the fence about buying a PS4 versus another gaming console, I would consider looking elsewhere until customer service approves.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Switched from Wii to PS4. I HATE the controls don’t have batteries. With 4 kids, the cord never charges. Now have two controls won’t charge! PLEASE fix this without making customers buy new controls!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I’ve used the PlayStation store for many years and have all the consoles. But it's been a while since I used my PSP. I dug it out and I have spent lots of money on games on the store for all my consoles. But when I logged in to the store it refused my details yet I never changed them. So I went to the 2 stage change details facility and changed my password but then it said it's sent a pin code to my mobile phone. It went to an old number as I changed it and forgot to update this. So I can’t access my games that I own outright.

I called PlayStation support and they asked if I had proof of purchase and certain account details. Now all my purchases were done through the PayPal link on your store and they said that’s not good enough. They said I must have emails confirming purchases. I can’t find these emails. My only proof of purchase is through PayPal. If this PayPal very secure payment method isn’t good enough proof of purchase (which shows transaction ID and invoice number) Then why do you use this?

I have spent a lot of money online with PSP. PS3 and PS4, not to mention all the games I purchased in store. Surely you’re not going to tell me “That’s it, I can’t have my products that I own” As that is theft. Surely you can do something or I will fight this and take it further as I’m absolutely disgusted on being made to feel frustrated and wound up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I wrote them about a PlayStation that I had bought second hand. When I went to login it said I was system banned. So I contacted them which waiting for them to respond was seemed like days. At first they brushed me off. Only saying contact the seller. When I explained to them that I bought it off a local eBay and could not get my money back they wrote me back not responding to me by name but by "Dear Contact" and then said there was nothing they could do. Saying I could not challenge the decision. As I explained to them. There is no mods or hacks on my system but they would not hear it and I cannot use the stuff that I bought on the PSN store. None of this mattered.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I was purchasing something for my son. I got an error message and logged back in to make the purchase and got an error message again. Finally the 3rd time worked. I return to my email where they charged me 3x!!! I called to get it refunded and said it was against policy and refused to help me. They basically STOLE my money based on a system error on their side.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have always been a loyal customer to PlayStation Network since PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, multiple PlayStation 3's for multiple gaming in the house, now I'm on my second PS4, and my son as PS Vita, and I've always played paid to play online since they started charging. Still remained a loyal customer to PlayStation and there was a mistake 4 months back with a purchase that I didn't recognize and I disputed it with my bank and they ended up banning my account with no prior notice and when I finally realized what was going on I called to find out what was going on and he's like, "Oh. Well you said a $50 transaction was fraud. We have the right to ban your account. We're not going to reinstate your account and tell you pay us the $50 that you will was."

I explained the situation to him. Said, "Okay. I'm truly sorry I forgot what the purchase was for. I have a 15 year old son." "Okay. Well that's not our problem," and tell you pay us our money your account will be inactive. I've been waiting on a supervisor to call. I've also filled out a survey with the request for a I guess customer service relation guy for the complaint to call me back. Never received a call back. It's been over 2 weeks. I took the survey three times. Still requesting a call back. Have not received a call back at all. Just completely unprofessional poor service for someone who's always been there for PlayStation 2 games alone or $50 they control. There's a loan or $50. My son has a PlayStation. I have PlayStation as multiple games multiple controllers and over one $50 transaction that completely banned my whole account. My two daughters use my account to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime so we're always on the PlayStation.

That's our main source of every TV in the house and they just showed no consideration at all over the situation and still haven't got a call back. I finally just got paid. Went and bought a $50 card just to put it on. Just poor service. I just cannot believe that and I know they see all of those different part PlayStations that we've had over the course of time because they've always been linked to the same name with the same username and email.

It's literally just made me almost want to switch to Xbox if I wouldn't have to go and purchase the system, the Xbox Live, the games I want and the controllers again. Just completely treat it like really do not matter to PlayStation or Sony at all. Very sad, then even after purchasing another $50 card a week later after I finally got paid and entering the code in so I could finally get my account reactivated for me and the family then is still told me it's going to take at least 24 hours for them to confirm that everything is a legitimate purchase like really.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I changed my Email the other day and forgot I had 2 step verification (PlayStation Network) set up (my account would auto sign in). I also changed my phone number a while back & forgot that too. I went to log into my account and could not because I no longer have the phone number for the 2 step verification text message! I called customer support & was told 48 hrs. I then called back in 48 hrs & was told the next day it would be working. It's now 96 hours or 4 days later customer support is saying they are still working on having security disable 2 step verification for me.

Worried I am not going to get my account back I asked if I can request my credit card to be disabled so I am not charged for anything. No problem it was deleted he even told me how much credit I have in the store account! This agent has the ability to delete credit cards but not able to disable 2 step verification. I have 11 platinum trophies. Skyrim is 1 of my platinum's close to 850 hrs of gameplay lost everything I have worked for gone. Just a short rant of my disgust... there needs to be another way to solve problems like this without having to jump thru so many hoops. I feel like I should start over by going to Xbox and really starting fresh if it comes to that.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Contacting Sony PlayStation for help with an issue is an incredibly aggravating experience. They have done away with their Contact Us form, and now you only have the option of live chat to deal with any issues that come up. I am currently waiting for help, and the screen displays, "Our average wait time is up to 10 minutes. Please stand by." I have been waiting for over an hour now for a representative to start the live chat. If it's going to take over an hour, it should specify that.

Also, I have found it very difficult to get a refund for content purchased digitally, even when there are game-breaking issues with the content. Once you make a digital purchase, they absolutely do not care whether you are satisfied with that purchase or if your content is unplayable. I recommend purchasing a hard copy of a game from a reputable retailer instead. I won't be purchasing PlayStation consoles in the future due to extremely poor customer service and other issues I have encountered over the years.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I haven't had access to my PS4 for a while since it is packed up somewhere. However, I was subscribed to PS4 Network and have been charged for a year without it me realizing it until recently. When I logged into Sony's website to cancel this subscription, it was nowhere to be found! Even a Google search showed instructions that didn't match up with the UI.

The most concerning of all is that there is a field called "Automatically Add Funds to Renew Subscriptions or Pay for Pre-ordered Content", and it was set to "No". Nonetheless, I have been continuously charged. Has anyone else hit this issue? I had a chat with an online representative, and he was only able to reimburse my most recent payment. I'm sure I'm not the only one to hit this issue. If anyone else has run into this, please post here. I'm thinking about filing a class action lawsuit against them. I've never done it before, but they have pissed me off enough to go find a lawyer and do it. I just need to know that others have run into the same issue as myself.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've had a horrible experience bringing to a conclusion either the Sony product is really bad or the vendors you'll work with Croma and Metal Tech and here have Given me false Sony and are spoiling the brand name. I purchased my PS4 and within two or three days it was crashing in spite of updated software. I called Sony. They did the diagnosis and asked me to go visit the nearest center. They weren't available so we went to Croma the place where we purchased it from. They said we would have to get a replacement from the service center so we walked into Metal Tech.

At first I was told I'll get a packed box the way I purchased from the shop, when I went to collect my replacement I got an old torn box. The wires inside with the controller were evident of poor and non original quality. The cds that came inside the box were not there either and the box has "stby" written on it. My controller is fake. Doesn't have audio working on it. The box has bird ** on it too. I got my piece home and obviously we don't get time to play everyday so I switched on my console now and my controller is definitely not original. The rubber material feels glue is coming off it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I've seen two old PlayStation 3 consoles come and go. Thanks to the unscrupulous goings on of a corporation which has punters buying systems and games that become redundant and impossible to maintain because Sony doesn't allow old games on new systems (corporate theft) so now my last two, second hand consoles just died. I'm stuck with not being able to download games, movies, apps and add ons etc. because I can no longer access the old units to deactivate and this greedy corporation only allows paying customers TWO systems and then a customer must run through hoops...in my case tonight, for hours trying to find ways to deactivate systems I no longer own.

One point of enquiry lead me to a second point which in turn referred me back to the FIRST point of reference. Tried several times. These people are having a laugh. It's absolutely impossible to deactivate old systems out of hours and PSN are like Google in that they only allow a very small number of units to be active, no matter what the circumstance, at a time. Impossible...sly...it's so frustrating how impossible these no office, offshore, mega rich corporations avoid contact and human customer service. It's an insult, considering how much money I've spent since PS inception and I'm on the cusp of letting these corporate thieves do what they do best to those who are not me. I'm angry at all corporations that make gazillions of dollars but have no 24/7 contact and assistance details.

Now I must wait for these corporate dropkicks to wake up and do their jobs for god knows how huge a multitude of gamers around the globe hoping their business hours auger a result which does not include this current disappointment. They're not the only super rich corporate body that is cheap when it comes to customer service and from now on I'm going to word of mouth my experience with yet another player who enjoys taking our money but who has decided that customer service is hardly a requirement after deals are done and units sold and money in the bank...no thanks. Hoping some new gaming player comes along to topple Xbox Psn monopolies. I wrote this review because I can't get in touch with Sony and because they ran me from one pointless wasted exercise to another as though I'm stupid and would get bored with what appears to be an obvious game from a business I've long loved but now am now not at all a fan.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

PS4 customer service ‘blackmail’ policy - I purchased Armored Warfare 3 days ago. 1st problem-PS charged me twice for the premium package. Second problem- the queue time to get into play averages between 2 minutes and literally over an hour, making the game very frustrating to play. I’ve been a customer without problems for over 10 years and actually enjoyed playing the game when it worked, but that is so infrequent I asked for a refund. They said no refunds if you already played the game. I didn’t know it didn’t work until I played the game. So I said if the game doesn’t work I’m going to contest it on my cc. They said that they would Ban me for life and cancel my account. And they even told me that as a one time courtesy, that they would refund the double charge. But if I contest the refund would not happen because I would not have an account to refund back to once they banned me. So I’m heading to Best Buy today to buy an X-Box.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Last year I ordered the PlayStation Plus Account for my 7 year old son so he could play online. It cost around $60. We didn't end up using it. I saw a charge for the $60 again a year later and called that SAME day within hours of the charge and they said it auto-renewed and no refunds. I never got a notice from them that it would auto-renew, they just charged me. I didn't want it and explained that and they refused to give me the money back.

I called Chase my CC and disputed it and Chase instantly removed the charge (great customer service). Then my son tried to log into FIFA and it said his account was banned for violating the terms of service. I called Sony and they said that unless I pay them the money they will disable his account permanently. What a SCAM, this is horrible customer service and a terrible experience. We will be looking at going to X-BOX and Microsoft for all future gaming needs due to how I was treated.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The PlayStation Online Network has been down for almost a week now, turns out that PlayStation charged $24 from my debit account yesterday. The entire network was down so purchasing anything would be... impossible. Called the bank and the PlayStation Customer Service only for them to threaten to close the PlayStation we have used for years and buttons of money into because the bank was investigating the fraudulent purchase.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have never been so disappointed in a large reputable company such as Sony before. I paid for a year online subscription for $59 and was charged 5 additional charges totally $70.00. I was told that there was no refunds and I asked to speak to supervisor who told me the exact same thing. This was a Christmas gift to my grandson and I will not ever purchase anything if I can help it from Sony again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

In the process of moving homes 2 years ago I did not use my Playstation or my account for days. I plug in my PS4 to find a new game pop up and find out that I was charged to my PayPal account. I reach out to PSN stating that my account was hacked and that a fraudulent purchase was made. They said they could not refund because the game was played. I reached out to PayPal who refunded me and the funds were refunded. This caused my account to be banned. Sony is now asking for $60 to unban the account which will not be refunded. They are thieves now more than a thousand dollars in movies, games, and content gone because of their poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I've been a very loyal PlayStation customer, since the launch of PlayStation 1 back to late 90s. At that time I was 10 so I've been playing on the Sony console for 20 years probably spending hundreds of dollars on games. Ever since the launch of the PlayStation Store I have not really made a purchase. I recently got 120 dollars in gift cards for the store, I have made a purchase on Final Fantasy 12 The Zodiac age because it quit on my PS2 a quarter of the way through the game, I also purchased Need for Speed bundle which isn't a big deal but it is because it's 20 bucks lost. Need for Speed wasn't what I expected as it was for PS2. I have done searches and I have talked to friends and I know from them that the return process is pretty much always guaranteed.

I have not bought these games maybe more than 15 days ago and I just contacted customer support because for one thing the return link was broken and there was nowhere to request a refund on their website anymore so I contacted them and being loyal for 20 years you think that that would be into consideration but no. Not at all and didn't take more than 3 comments back from the "representative", to just come out and say, "Your request is denied," okay... And I was asked if I had any more questions. I asked a question and the response had nothing to do with the question I asked. For one there's no such thing as loyalty to them and I think I might switch because of this experience if you're not respected at all and if what you say is completely overlooked and not responded to at all.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Sony PlayStation Network overcharge - Was trying to enter a card bought at Walmart and they charged my PayPal account instead. When they fixed it they closed account cause they said I disputed charge through PayPal. They were out nothing and yet they said they was keeping the money paid for card unless I give them the money they charged my PayPal account and if I didn’t they was keeping the other 60. WE NEED TO DO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THIS COMPANY. NO WAY WE LOSE IN FRONT OF A JURY. Their supervisor even admitted she would not do business with a company that treated her this way.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

They have a worldwide gift card redeeming problem. For 5 days I've been trying to redeem my gift card for PlayStation Plus and it will not work. I called, chat and Twitter with 3 different people. No results. The call I wait about an hour, the chat option is suppose to be quicker, well, it's not. I try to call and chat today. They seem to have take off for the New Years. But the phone is telling both of them should be open. This is the worse service I have ever seen.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

SO disappointed with Sony PlayStation. Horrible products and customer service. Bought a PlayStation VR Gran Turismo bundle from GameStop last Sunday before Christmas as a Xmas gift for my husband and the camera would not read our faces. We tried everything we literally could think of. Called customer service and reset the whole PlayStation and VR still not working called again and they said they would ship out a new camera to us on December 21st. It's the 26th today and I called and they said they cannot ship out a new camera. Not only did they lie to me but they made me wait for days for nothing.

I called again today to ask why it's not shipped out yet or why I didn't receive a tracking number. The representative looked into it and said they cant send a new one because it's not damaged or anything. Once I heard this flames were coming out of my ears. I was so pissed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she was no help either. Offered me to send the camera with proof of purchase to Sony which I dont mind but she said I have to pay for shipping to send it to them and they will check and service it or send out a new one. Just keep waiting and waiting... Then they will probably lose my receipt and I won't even be able to return it and be stuck with it. This is ridiculous. I have never came across anything like this.

A huge company like Sony isn't even offering to send out a new camera that's not working! But blaming me because it's not damaged. Everyone is using their VRs that they got for Christmas and here we are complaining about how we were not able to use it. How hard is it to just send out a new camera or fix your products!? If you actually go on Google there are so many people experiencing the same problem and when they got another camera it worked. Why should I go out and spend more money on a camera that's not working when I first bought it. Horrible.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Charged for PSN monthly multiple times. I removed the default auto renewal for their one month subscription. They are saying I never did and won’t issue my refund. I was charged on 12/4 at 7:04 PM and I contacted them at 8:04 PM. They said nothing they could do since all sales are final. However, I never made a purchase. Their system did not make the required changes that were selected. Now I am being punished.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

You guys could not approve a $10 refund, very dissatisfied with this. All I wanted was to get my refund right after you charged my card. I've been paying monthly $10 when I know I can pay $49 yearly, and I still can't get a $10 refund.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Purchased a 50 dollar PlayStation Gift Card for my son on his birthday. We scratched the back to access the code. Only the last four digits of the code was readable. Called customer service and they said it would take up to two business day for them to resolve the issue. In the meantime my son is left with no birthday present on his birthday. Look I understand that things "happen" and for the most part these are "first-world" problems. However, if you are going to sell products or offer services in the "first-world" you must appreciate and understand that your consumers expect "first-world" solutions and customer service. You cannot receive money for something, promise something, and not deliver.

Their process is concerning and unacceptable. I am surprised that they were not able to do more in a timely fashion. They should have a process that is streamlined to deal with something like this. Clearly, they don't value gift card purchases because if they did this is something they would have turned their minds to. Needless to say I will not support PlayStation in the future.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

With the plethora of hacked companies exposing credit card information - Sony has provided a lucrative source of charging (fraudulently) into their "wallets" and then the fraudsters selling the gaming credits for cash to game players of PlayStation. I have NO PlayStation, am a 68 year old man who has no account with Sony, yet they have let someone fraudulently set up an account in my name with minimal verification, charge credits on several of my cards (obtained from hacks, waiters, or foreign companies selling card numbers) and then want ME to pay them (SONY). A search of the web shows this company makes it VERY HARD to reach via phone or other method and resists ALL attempts to rectify situations where either people like me have attempts at identity stolen or others who actually have a PlayStation account with phony charges.

Ironically SONY has been THE ONLY COMPANY that has ALLOWED this person or persons to use my two credit card numbers and fake gmail account to use their "wallet" system for criminal fraudulent purposes. It is a fertile field for criminals and a source of income for SONY as you read through so many people who actually have PlayStation accounts and have had to eat fraud charges. BEWARE OF SONY.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I purchased Resident Evil Biohazard 7 for $114 on Sept 30 and the sale came on 10 days later for 50% off. I called PlayStation and they would not assist saying all online sales are final and they don't offer any price protection or adjustments. I spoke to 2 cust serv reps, 2 supervisors and 1 manager and they sound exactly the same (like robots) saying the same thing to a tee. "In this case because you purchased the game and played it you cannot get a refund".

I never asked for a full refund. I even said put the difference on account and I'll spend it on another game, but they would not help at all. I feel cheated. The premium game is no different than the basic so that's a waste and now that the game is half price I feel even more screwed over. This is not right. Why aren't they held to the same laws. Sony obviously doesn't care about its customers. I've been with Sony over 15yrs. I think it's time for a change. I'm so mad about this.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Had an email Saturday morning thanking me for a purchase at 6:56 am. I was not awake with the kids until 7:45. Fearing a hack I filled out a refund request (stating it was not me) and cancelled the PayPal payment. Then set up two-step verification and changed my passwords. Sunday morning I am banned. Phoned today and will only get the account back if I pay the 24.99. They said I would get that refunded but only in credit. I have been held to ransom for my account. They are not helpful and accused me of downloading it the whole way through the call. I know about the refunds so if I did buy it I know what to do. They did not want to help. Now I have to pay as I cannot let all the games I have bought go to waste (ps3, 4 and a vita, over 100 games easily). I wanted to complain and was told the wait for a supervisor callback was 72 hours...

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I awoke one morning to find I was banned for no reason, and when a fellow gamer swore Sony never banned without reason, I checked my email for any solution, and tried to reach out to try and resolve this problem, but nothing. The Images I included shows I spent money on their service and would willingly follow rules to continue enjoying playing. I'm chronically ill, and I'm dying. A Stroke and a few seizures in a short amount of time is a sign for us with the illness I have, gaming lets me distract myself from reality, and it helps a lot. If they take this away at least give me a reason!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

My husband had downloaded Friday the 13th for me as a surprise at the beginning of the month and I was unable to play it until almost 3 weeks later, not quite that long. Adult gaming time is very rare in this household. I finally sit down today, relax, go to start the game... I need a PS+ membership. $10/mo. We don't have a membership and aren't exactly so well off or that big of gamers to have a subscription service.

So we paid $40 for a game. We need to pay more money monthly to play? So I chat with PlayStation Customer Service and explain the situation. Yes it's been downloaded, but obviously it's never been played since I've never had a PS+ membership. Could we please have our money back? No. Can we ask a manager since I can provide you with proof that it's never been played and cannot be played bc I don't have a PS+ account? It's the manager's decision and No. So I'm out $40 and have a game that can't be played? Yes. Or pay $9.99 for a months access on PS+ and play the game. Ok, so I can pay money and play the game for a month. At that point I pay $50 for a game I can only play for a month. Unfortunately.

Sony PlayStation Company Information