1.12/5

2647 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

I bought a new vehicle recently which came with Sirius trial. Then on March 20th 2019 at 8:13 pm EST I received a phone call from a Sirius representative who was deceptive and provided misguided facts about extending my trial at no cost when really through there was a cost for extending the service past the free trial period for 6 months. I asked several times if there was any cost, and the reply from the Sirius sales person was "no you are on a trial so there is no cost". They obviously meant there is no cost to extend my free trial, but there is a cost to the period after the trial - so why not just say "hey your trial runs out and after that we can give you a discount if you want to keep it".

I will be reporting this experience to Toyota Canada headquarters to let them know about what unprofessional and lack of respect Sirius is treating people with and hopefully they can disassociate themselves which such a poorly operating company. Even though I never planned to use this service, and never even tried it free during the trial, I will never in a million years even consider paying for a service like this from a company that resorts to cheap sales tactics by confusing people and treating them without any respect or courtesy.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I called about a month ago to cancel my subscription and was offered a free month and that my subscription would be automatically canceled as soon as the month was up. Well they didnt cancel it and now they're saying I owe them for this month even though it was supposed to be canceled. Poor customer service. Will not go back.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 19, 2019

As soon as I sought information about SiriusXM I noticed the litany of complaints in the same vein. Similar to my experience others have been refused the opportunity to cancel. I called before the end of my introductory service and asked to cancel. I was ignored just as most of the reviews here. I've had several discussions with call centers in the Philippines and India seeking payment. If you agree that this practice should be ended by SXM take action. Contact me at www.EconomistsWithoutBorders.org. There is contact information there.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was sent multiple mails and calls from company about my car's radio trialing ending soon. When I called the toll-free number they have on the mail, the automated machine told me to wait 11 minutes before connecting to a representative agent. I believe her name was Claire that I spoke to and she gave me so much attitude. I work in a call center too but yikes! She was very unprofessional and sighed at me and became very loud during the call when I asked a simple question about my radio trial period ending. She didn’t even answer my question for a good 2 minutes before I told her I'm just trying to make sure the trial wouldn't be charged in my payment plan for my car. Worse service ever.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received a three month free trial from Sirius XM. When it expired I wanted to renew for the $10.99 a month commercial free music only. You were unable to do this online as they will only let you do the more expensive contracts. When I called I told them that I was frustrated that I actually had to call to get the $ 10.99/mo deal after spending time on the website and not being allowed to select this deal from my account. I also told her that I was not interested in hearing the other deals. I wanted the $10.99 a month only. She apologized and agreed to give me the deal that I wanted.

After she confirmed she was giving me the $10.99 month deal she wanted to charge my credit card thirty something dollars for 6 months. I again confirm that this was the commercial free music only deal. She told me that it was and I told her that it didn’t add up. She told me that she was giving me the commercial free radio only for $4.99 a month leading me to believe that maybe this was a new price for the commercial free music. So I gave her my credit card information and then she asked me to listen to what I agreed to. She said it would be $4.99 a month for six months and then I would be charged $19.95 from then on. That is the same deal they were trying to force you to sign up for online. I told her to listen carefully and repeated what I wanted.

She finally gave me what I had asked for. It was a little more after taxes and fees but I was OK with that. I also want to note that during our call you could hear laughing and talking in the background which was very unprofessional and made it difficult to hear what you were agreeing to. She then proceeded to try and sell me some other deal where you got a free radio and only had to pay for shipping and handling. I told her, "No thanks. I didn’t want to be tricked into anything else I didn’t want." Their business practices and customer service are shameful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sirius XM?

Original review: March 17, 2019

I received a letter in the mail for a free 2-Month trial subscription to SiriusXM. I went online to the link they sent in the mail and it said my radio ID is not eligible for it and called Customer service and they told me they couldn't find a free trial for my radio ID and I need to call my dealership. What's the point of sending the mail??? Such a waste of time!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I will never sign up for this service. I received several letters offering it, and a few phone calls. When I finally answered, the customer service was horrible, they hung up on me while I explained that I'm not interested in their service. My advice, just buy a different music service and save yourself from their customer service.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My first year contract with Sirius was coming to a close and I mistakenly thought that I would receive notice, and be given a chance to decide if I wanted to renew. I never gave permission for an automatic renewal but happened to see a charge for $246.92 from Sirius for renewal. WHAT??? Here's a company that incessantly emails me - several times a week with details about every little thing, listening schedules, announcements, etc. But apparently has determined that it is not important to notify me when the contract is ending? Then charges my credit card to auto-renew the "contract" without permission. My experience trying to cancel is similar to many others who posted a review on here. Long time on hold, the rep kept offering more and more "specials" each time I told her I am done with this company and want nothing more to do with them. I believe I have succeeded in cancelling. Time will tell.

Original review: March 8, 2019

SiriusXM is a terrible company using poor business practices to keep you on the hook longer. They make it difficult to cancel service. After I FULLY cancelled my services I started receiving bills for continued services. When I called to dispute they told me when I canceled I also signed up for a “free one month trial” for the exact thing I had just canceled which after the one month turns into a monthly paid plan. A company built by conning customers out of their money monthly.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I decided I didn’t want to pay the high bill anymore, it was over $200 every 6 months. I recently received a call from a collection agency trying to collect $55.35. I called Sirius and asked them what was going on, they told me I had to call to cancel. I asked how I would have known that and they told me it was a verbal agreement. This is a terrible back-handed dishonest way to do business. They didn’t even call me themselves before they turned me into collections. I was a customer for several years and believe I deserved a call from them before they put a ding on my excellent credit rating. Now I get emails and mailings from them asking me to come back as a customer for $4.99 a month. So now that you aren’t getting my $400 per year, you want me to come back at $59.88??? I will never be a customer of Sirius again and hope this helps others with their decisions.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I bought a new vehicle that came with a 3 free month trial of SiriusXM. Once my trial was up I started receiving calls and letters galore to renew. I had no interest in renewing and REPEATEDLY told them to leave me alone. They seriously just called my work phone! Not OK SiriusXM!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

This company is dishonest. Avoid them if you can. Even after you make a payment, they will not update the payment in their system and keep telling you they are going to bill you. Verifying payments made to them is extremely stressful because they are dishonest. In addition, their rates are not fixed. They change the pricing constantly and will bill your account for increased amounts. It's not safe to ever give your credit card number to this company because it will be a nightmare for you. The only chance you have is to use the prepaid cards, but even then they don't credit your account properly because they are dishonest. The FCC should bring charges against this company for dishonest practices against consumers.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I bought a used car with a satellite radio. I called to activate a new subscription. I was told a price and given the details. I AGREED. I called today to find out why I could not log in anywhere and the answer was that I had not signed up for all access. Only, I DID sign up for all access. They were not hearing my complaint so I canceled. Rather than try to keep a customer, they allowed me to cancel. Why pay all that $ to only have access in the car when I am only in my car 45 minutes a day? They could easily have kept me as a customer. Just give me what I was promised for the remainder of my subscription. Oh well. The idea that this is a monopoly makes it worse. No other providers are available now that Sirius and XM have merged. Should not have been allowed to occur.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This is the worst company I've ever dealt with. I signed up for a free 3-month subscription in August last year, and saw that they would start charging me for the subscription automatically in November. I immediately went to the chat and spoke with someone about canceling the subscription as I figured I didn't need it, and they told me they canceled it. I even received an e-mail saying that updates were made on my account after they had canceled it, so I believed it was. Today I realized that they have been charging me 20 dollars every month since November, even though I canceled the subscription back in August! I spoke with another person today in the chat who said that there was no note on my account regarding any cancelation, and that I had to call them in order to cancel my subscription.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Call the number on the back of the bill where is billing disputes, as soon as you get someone tell them to transfer you to somebody in United States who speaks clearly!! After about five calls and being disconnected several times this is what I did. I got a better deal and cancelled one radio without much problem. Live and work out in the country and have enjoyed satellite radio for over fifteen years but every year I have to deal with undesirable customer service. I remember the first receiver I turned on I called and talked to a person who sounded like me and immediately turned it on and mailed me a bill!! Hope this is some help to people who live in the country.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I wanted to get a signal to my radio. All three reps refused to help me, after two months they still have not resolved their issues. I still have a account on someone else's radio. I spent 100. For nothing Sirius refused my money refunded. I will never deal with them again forewarned. No one should be buying their service.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

SiriusXM Satellite Radio recently charged my bank account for a renewal of my husband’s subscription. I called customer service to have the charge cancelled (it is for a collector’s car that sits in storage most of the year). After waiting in the queue, I spent several minutes verifying my phone number, my address the make and model of our other cars. When I asked to cancel service, they repeatedly asked me why I wanted to cancel. Finally, the representative said he couldn’t help me and placed me on hold. No one came back. A half hour later I hung up in frustration. The following day I started the process again. The representative said he needed to put me on hold while he accessed my account. Instead, he put me back into the queue to start over.

When I finally got to a representative, he said he couldn’t access the car in question until I went to the car and got information from the radio itself. The car is in storage! After nearly an hour, he finally agreed to help, but I had to put my husband on the phone (even though the account is in my name). We had to sit through another 20 minutes of him trying to sell us a new plan and threatening us with increased fees if we cancel today and try to start new service when the car is taken out of storage.

This service is way over-priced and definitely not worth the horrible customer service. The final insult: When they processed the cancellation and refunded what was charged to my bank account, they reduced the amount because I had one day of service on the renewal period. When I pointed out that it was because they never came back and finished my request on the previous day, he said that was my “fault,” not his. Guess what? We’re cancelling SiriusXM on our other cars! Final note: If you have an introductory plan, your renewal will cost 2-1/2 times more. And we got no discount for multiple vehicles at the same address!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought a new car and had the service shut off on the old car because the new car came with a free 6 month trial of SiriusXM. I also have a handheld radio that we tried to connect service to, however failed. So I canceled the service on the handheld, and at that point I should now have no bills, and service only in the car. 30 days into the new car the service was shut off and needed to be renewed, and Sirius said it was activated several months earlier, so as a result I no longer had free service. The car was new! So guess what, I left it shut off.

Here we are a couple months later and I changed my credit card, and as a result I was notified by Sirius to update my payment method. This was a surprise since I should not be being billed. I was on chat forever and these people are clueless, can't even write good English. Came down to they owed me money for service I was not using, and I gave up. All I can say is I will NEVER use this ridiculous company again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have had this service for about 2 years. They set me up for auto renewal that I don't like (and the new rate was very high) so I sent them a message to cancel the auto renewal. They gave me a phone number that would not answer so I went to chat. They said they cannot remove auto renewal and gave me another number to call.

The guy that answered the phone was very problematic and kept offering me a deal to renew. I told him we don't drive that much anymore and the service is just not worth it. After nearly 15 minutes of discussion he finally agreed to remove my credit card from the account and cancel my service which will end on 6/1/. They fight you all the way to get this done!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I was a Sirius customer for 4 years and the way they treat their loyal customers is straight up garbage. If you ever subscribed, you know about the promotional price they give you. Mine was good until I got a $231 bill which is a 110% markup of my promotional price but no worry they will find you another promotional deal after you spend 30 min negotiating. Why does a loyal customer have to negotiate. Then I had to talk to 3 people just to disconnect. Take your loyal dollars elsewhere. They don't deserve your money.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

On January 25, 2019, I was riding down the road and my satellite radio started fading in and out. Then after about 30 minutes it pops up on the screen that there are is an error and I need to call SiriusXM. So I turn to an FM station and it is working just fine and my radio has been on FM every since. On the 27th I received an email stating my bill is due and today I received an email stating I have a balance due and it is accruing.

1. SiriusXM turned me off without notice. So how can I have a bill?
2. Accruing what? You cut me off, the last time I tried to listen it still stated error. NO SERVICE.
3. Now this is important, 3 calls in one day stating you reinstated my account effective February 3 and I owe you.

Well this is not how you do business. You let me know before you cut me off that my bill is due. So I may pay it and we move forward.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have a Lifetime subscription to SiriusXM, and came on board with them a month after Howard Stern joined the lineup. I started with an external car receiver, and quickly upgraded to a built-in. Eventually sold that vehicle, and moved my subscription to my new vehicle. Unfortunately, there was a hardware problem and the dealer replaced that radio as well. First let me say that Sirius is fantastic WHEN it works. If you ever have to contact their customer disservice, you’ll understand why I call it that. I have never had a good experience with their support, not even once. I’ve been with them since 2006.

My first problems arose when I moved my subscription from my first receiver which was an external unit, to a new built-in receiver. At the time, their terms did NOT state anything about charging customers to move lifetime subscriptions, and they tried charging me. I fought it and won. Shortly thereafter, they updated their terms to charge for moving lifetime subscriptions.

The second time I had an issue was when I moved the subscription to a new vehicle. They again insisted on charging me. The third time I had an issue was when my brand new vehicle had a hardware failure and the dealership had to replace the entire radio unit with a new one. The *dealership* even had major problems with them, explaining to Sirius that I shouldn’t be charged yet again, because it was a warranty issue with the vehicle. It took TWO WEEKS to straighten out on Sirius’ end, and even once they claimed it was resolved, I still didn’t have all the channels like I am supposed to.

They also try telling us lifetime subscription holders that we are only allowed to move our subscription “x” number of times, which is just ridiculous. Who owns one radio/vehicle their whole life?! I have to keep demanding to speak to supervisors and about 4 transfers in, I finally got an executive on the line who handled it how it SHOULD have been handled immediately when I called.

Ok, so that covers subscription transfers. Now I will address the “no signal” nightmare. I drive all day, every day, for a living. Up until mid-2018, I rarely encountered the “no signal” issue. It is now early 2019, and I have this issue daily, as does my husband in his vehicle (which is a completely different vehicle, with a completely different radio, and his own separate subscription). There is no pattern to this issue, it happens at different times of the day, in different areas, and there is absolutely no consistency to the issue. However, it sometimes can say “no signal” for HOURS and then randomly pop back in, even when stationary.

We have both taken our vehicles to the dealers (different manufacturers entirely), and had them check connections, hardware, antennas on multiple occasions. Neither vehicle has any hardware issues. When we contact customer disservice, they just resend the signal, and tell you to turn the radio off/on and also tell you to turn the vehicle off/on again. When that does not work (and it never does), they tell you it’s the radio in the vehicle and we should take it to the dealer. Repeat, ad-nauseam.

Even both dealerships get the “pass the buck” attitude when dealing with Sirius support. Last time, the dealership OWNER got involved and spoke with a high-up executive at Sirius, and they still didn’t help. So my suggestion is, when you have an issue, pester them incessantly and refuse to be brushed aside. It will take a massive amount of patience and tenacity. You will have to call them several times, for days and sometimes weeks on end. You have to really work to get any issue resolved, and it still may not get fixed. Bottom line? This company does NOT care about customers. If you have a receiver that works, cross your fingers that it stays that way. Their tech support is a joke. You’d be better off with Pandora, Spotify, etc.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased a new vehicle and was never asked if I would like a free trial of this service. I was staying with my daughter while she was fighting for her life in the hospital, I received a call from this company from an American woman asking me to subscribe to service. I explained to her my situation and that I had lost my job and would not have a way to afford nor was I using the service. She continued to pressure me and said I could agree and callback at a later date to cancel. I called to cancel weeks earlier than she advised since I was still not using the service, it was a man outside of the country I spoke to and he claimed he cancelled my account.

Later that month they took money out of my bank account and I called again to cancel, it was once again an out of the country agent and she continued to pressure me to keep service even though I told her I do not use the service and could barely pay my rent. She then said she was canceling it and I would get a partial credit back to my bank account. I then lost it and told her it was illegal to bill me without my consent to a service I had already cancelled, she spoke to her supervisor and claims I will have a refund in 3-5 days. Not holding my breath...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Keep in mind before signing up for service with this company it is nearly impossible to cancel. It took 6 calls to customer service to cancel my subscription. Each representative told me a different reason why they could not help me. Finally on the 6th call I was able to cancel service. I was to the point of canceling my credit card to end service. They absolutely will not take no for an answer! They will use every excuse they can come up with to keep billing you for service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I phoned to cancel today, and spoke to someone who called me ma'am repeatedly, despite my account name being Tom. My voice is a mix of high and alto. Each time I interrupted to ask him not to call me ma'am. After 3 times, I told him "I am not a MA'AM. I am a SIR," getting annoyed and frankly offended. He apologizes and we carry on through cancellation process.

When I declined to continue my subscription twice, only then he said he refused to cancel because he did not believe I was who I said I was. I was instructed to hand the phone to the account holder. I asked if he continued to suppose me a ma'am, and he said nothing. I asked who was he to challenge my sex or gender? I told him the call was being recorded. He canceled my account. The experience really messed with me. I think I would never have called if I had known the harassment would last so long or be so personal or so brutal. I hope this company gets a class action suit for its cancellation policies.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I tried to cancel one of three subscriptions four months ago. I could not do it from my account online, or the chat with representative, or email. You will be required to call the India call center and try to understand someone from there. Three months ago I was advised to call back today to cancel. I put the event in my calendar and called back to discover they already charged m for another 6 months. I was advise I would get a credit back to my card in a few days. After the lengthy call I was so frustrated I called back to cancel my other two accounts. Another lengthy call with someone that has difficulty understanding me and I struggled to understand them. Hopefully I see credits soon and extremely annoying.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

SXM Customer Service is a joke. Never give them your credit card if possible make sure they invoice you and use your bill pay function. If you have to use your card be sure you go into your account and delete it. I have been a customer for years, last year my subscription was supposed to end, I changed my credit card number and the account was deleted. Supposedly in your contract they have the ability to contact your credit card co and get you new card without your permission. Not only did they renew without my permission. They more than doubled my yearly subscription.

I contacted customer service, they said, "No worries we can adjust your account." After a 1/2 hour of negotiations including me threatening to cancel my service we got to my previous year's subscription including weather and traffic. Wow finally! A few months later I traded my car, I called to transfer my account to the new vehicle. I told I would have to pay a 15.00$$ transfer fee, ok no problem. Do it. Later I went to check the weather and noticed I had no access.

Here we go again. I contacted the so called customer service dept. probably somewhere in Bangladesh?? No one ever speaks clear English and everything is always confusing. Anyway I questioned the representative, he informed me that I never paid for traffic and weather? He told me that my other vehicle was different and somehow I was getting it by accident? After 10 min I hung up. A few days later I decided I wanted the traffic and weather, I called AGAIN, they told me it would be 40$$. Ok just do it. I later went to my account and seen I was charged twice for traffic and weather.

Here we go again, I called customer service again! Told them about the double charge and that I did previously have the traffic and weather service, "Oh I am so sorry sir I am going to remove all the recent charges including the transfer fee." He ask me to hold a few minutes while he got assistance from his supervisor, he came back and said he was sorry but he would still have change me 20$$. I gave me some garble I didn't understand. Anyway at this point I told him to just charge me. I WAS DONE!

It always seems like you're getting incredibly great service at first but believe me. This is a mask. Part of the ploy is poor English speaking representatives that are difficult to understand, another part is placing you on hold going back and forth until they wear you down. If I had another choice for cable networks I would drop this service in a heartbeat! Be careful, don’t fall for the tricks and lies. Good luck.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have been an XM user for years with service in 2 vehicles and one radio in the house. After many years of expensive service and terrible customer service, I finally decided to end it all and cancel my service. Here's a snapshot of what actually happened today: Call #1: I told them I wanted to cancel my service (currently down to 2 radios). I was told that the one radio was just automatically renewed and is paid through to Feb. 1, 2020. Since it was paid through, I told them to not automatically renew next year and just let the current paid period play out. They agreed and gave me a cancellation number. I then told them I wanted to cancel my other radio which is paid through until April of this year. She told me she had to transfer me to another person to do that! She did and the call abruptly dropped.

Call #2: I went through the entire explanation and this time they told me that on the radio that is paid through to Feb. 1 of 2020, I owe $88!!! I kept my cool and asked for an explanation. He explained and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked about my other radio and if I owed money on that. They put me on hold and then the call dropped!!

Call 3: I explained everything for the third time. That's when they told me that the radio that is paid through to April of this year has been cancelled! When I asked about the other radio, he said I don't owe anything on it. At this point I was exasperated to say the least and I told him I just want to cancel that radio as well and send me a refund. He said he would cancel it immediately and refund me $77. We'll see.

My experience with XM customer service over the years has been bad, but I always kept the service knowing that as long as I paid the bill, I wouldn't have to deal with them. Today was absolutely the last straw. In this day and age, it's just too easy to stream music, news, etc. that I don't have to put up with their high prices and terrible customer service. I use Spotify at $15/mos which gives everyone in my house a premium account and TuneIn Radio free version for news and a good podcast app for everything else. I feel better now. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have been a Sirius customer for over 15 years and the way they bill and up-bill and charge you is nothing short of a scam. DO NOT get on auto renewal because you will be sorry. I was recently charged $235 and when I called to complain they magically had a promotion in which I was able to get my radio until 2020 for way less. This is not the first time I have dealt with them on this - it happens every year. SO: Do not set up to be automatically renewed but rather let them bill you. When you receive the INCREASED bill call them because magically they will have a promotion. Because they never just PASS this promotion to their valued customers. They prefer to rook you first with an up-sell in the hope you don't notice. It is so sad the company runs this way.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I'm not even really sure where to begin with Sirius. I've been a customer for 14 years! They overcharged me for a year. I asked for a partial refund or credit and they promised they'd do it. After a week, I called back and there was no record of my first phone call even when I provided the case number given by the last phone rep. Their customer service responses are all scripts. You could tell them what color the sky is and they'll respond with some ridiculous script that doesn't answer your question. Same with email. I'm embarrassed for them honestly. I gave up on my $200+ overcharge because the stress of dealing with them just wasn't worth it. Will likely cancel the service after 14 years because it's hard for me award such incompetence.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio Company Information