1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

2418 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

I called over a month ago to cancel my service before my subscription ran up. They removed my credit card info but did NOT cancel my service so here I am next month getting a bill through my email. I had to call again to try to cancel it. Both times they keep pushing the product and won't accept a no. I understand they have a job to do but this is ridiculous. I told them I will not pay over the phone or online for this purchase. I want them to send me a bill and I will mail them a payment as long as my service is cancelled as requested.

Original review: April 18, 2018

The customer service is absolutely terrible at Sirius!!! I received a letter from Sirius noting that I was eligible for a 2 month free trial. When I called to activate, the representative could barely speak English and had me on and off hold for about 15 minutes. She finally came back and said that Sirius does not send letters out, so they were unable to provide a 2 month trial for me. I have the letter in my hand! This is the second experience I've had with them and both have been completely unprofessional and not worthy of my time.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I was paying for a subscription for my dad. He passed away so I no longer need it. They let you do everything online except cancel a subscription. You can change a subscription and make a payment online but you have to call to cancel one. So I called and had to deal with an angry foreigner who obviously didn't like her job and barely spoke English. This is what happens when you have a monopoly on satellite radio. The selection of radio stations suck as bad as the customer service.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Received an offer for a radio @ 90% off, but I needed to almost double my subscription rate to $35.00 and agree to auto renewal. The ad I received in email specifically stated it was a "subscriber-only offer." But then says "additional minimum subscription required." When I called to get clarification, the lady cheerfully stated that I could have both radios activate at the same time. But I don't need both activated so she said that I can buy the radio for "only" $99.00. Unfortunately SiriusXM is the only player in town so I'm sort of not able to go to their competitors. Interestingly, Amazon.com offers the same radio for $54.00.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Canceling my account was not possible via the Sirius website and I was forced to call and listen to a 6 minute sale pitch as to why I should not cancel. I told the Sirius rep that I did not have time for this and that I just wanted to cancel my account at the end of my contract (and not renew). She continued and insisted reading off pitch after pitch designed for me to stay. She was questioning my finances and wanted me to tell her what channels I listened to. This is not ethical business practices!!! Buyer beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sirius XM?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I purchased their "New Customer" promo plan when my new car promo plan expired. For $25 for 5 months, I thought it was a good deal. I've had their service in the past with other cars, but was suspicious about their billing practice and cancellation process. I finally caught them storing my personal credit card data, when I told them to only use the data as a one time authorization. The sales rep. promised she would delete the data after the transaction and bill at the renewal, which will cost me a $2 Invoice fee, should I not cancel before the account invoices. When I called to cancel, the rep.'s supervisor told be they would credit the card on file with the remaining credit of $0.75, since I was cancelling early. When I asked why they had my credit card on file, when I had asked for them to delete it, the rep just said they kept it on file.

When I talked to the supervisor (Yes, I had to escalate to cancel my account and spend a total of 36 minutes (2 calls since I was dropped) on the phone with them to cancel), he did not seem to care and stated that he was not aware if their company has ever completed a security assessment to ensure their data was secured. He just assured me that the credit card was now deleted. Then I asked him about the $0.75 refund, as I really did not want a check for $0.75. I asked if they just wanted to keep the service on for the few more days I had pay for, since it would cost them more than $0.75 to send me a check for $0.75. He said, "Sorry, they have already cancelled my service, so they would just refund the $0.75 to my credit card on file." I said, "What? I thought you just said that you deleted my credit card and that I was not going to give them my credit card again." He, "No worries, they had it on file."

Since I do not think he or his company understands what it means when I said, "Please delete my credit card info", I asked the supervisor to talk to his supervisor. He said he could not let me talk to his supervisor, since that would be corporate and he was a supervisor. He then tried to proceed to give me a phone to call corporate. I finally got him to open a ticket to have someone at corporate call me to ensure that my personal data has been deleted and assure me that they have not been a victim of a security breach. I will not hold my breath for them to call me, as I'm sure it will not happen. If you love music, do not mind paying for radio music that is otherwise free, and do not mind your data potentially being out there on the dark web, go ahead and subscribe. Give them your credit card information.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have had issues with billing practices with Sirius XM Radio. I went to cancel my account as I no longer want the radio, it's getting pretty boring as well and the APP is not working right. I had to uninstall it. I called this morning and the "John" answered the 888.601.6302 telephone line and get very snippy with me and then told me I had to hold for the cancellation number, I have screenshot that shows that I was on hold for 38 minutes. I called on my landline to have another representative cancel my account and he did in under 6 minutes and transferred me to a manager as well. Don't activate your radio even if it is free.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Most new cars come with a SiriusXM radio as standard equipment. In order to keep the full functionality of the radio, the car owner must subscribe and maintain a subscription with SiriusXM. As is the case with cable TV, SiriusXM offers dozens of channels, most of which I never use. (I believe this is also the case for the vast majority of their customers.)

Music Royalty Fees are a part of SiriusXM's cost of doing business. However, SiriusXM not only passes these fees on to their customers (as they should), they calculate the fees based on the total cost of the subscription package, which greatly inflates the cost. There are dozens of music channels in their most popular packages. In my case, I would be perfectly content to choose the channels a la carte. I would select two or three news channels, college sports, and major league baseball channels, and maybe two or three music channels. However, this is not an option.

In order to receive the dozen or so channels that I want, I must pay for a "popular package" at a MINIMUM cost of $15.99 per month, PLUS a 19.1% fee, which is added to the price of the entire package. I already own CDs of virtually all of the music that I listen to while in my car, and I have already paid the music royalty fee when I purchased the CDs. I'm being forced to pay this royalty fee multiple times on the same songs. Furthermore, my radio stays on a News channel at least 75% of the time that I'm in my car.

The technology almost certainly exists to enable SiriusXM to measure the time that an individual customer listens to their music channels each month and adjust the music royalty fee to accurately approximate the number of songs that the customer hears. That information should be the basis of the music royalty fee. Part of the problem that created this mess is that the music industry lobbies the federal government to increase the royalty fees annually, and justifies the increase because "thriving satellite companies can certainly afford to pay the royalties to starving artists, songwriters, and publishers." In reality, the satellite radio companies aren't paying anything — their customers are; and we are being ripped off!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I called twice to cancel. Each time they made an offer I couldn't refuse. I still never used it so called to cancel when charges appeared on my credit card for full membership fee without notifying me that my promotion was ending which they promised they would do. She finally agreed after putting me on hold for 10 minutes before she gave me a confirmation number. They become very rude.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have been a SiriusXM customer for years. At least 7 years. I just wanted to cancel paying for an deceased person that had a SiriusXM radio. They just would not stop asking me to renew. They need to stop and listen to the request of the client.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I went through a terrible YEAR, with my health, broken down PC, Cell phone... I had a 2015 4 Runner, free XM for 6 months? Then was notified, I signed for 12 months for $60! I traded in for a 2016 4 Runner. After free trial, they decided to bill me by my credit card on file, per month /$ 23.13! I paid almost $400 for last 12 months. Sirius WILL NOT REFUND MORE THAN 2 MONTHS! I AM DONE WITH SIRIUS XM! I filed a complaint with my Discover Card, that they stole from, and The Consumer Credit Counselling Bureau, will be next, as well as the BBB. I received NO NOTICE from Sirius, and if I did, I certainly WOULD NOT HAVE AGREED to pay, $23.13/month, when my previous year vehicle was $60/Year!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I got SiriusXM as a free trial on my new car. It was okay, but they tend to play the same songs over and over. I had looked online on my account to see what the costs would be to renew, but never signed up for anything and thankfully never gave them my payment information, because when my trial was up they billed me for 6 months of service at about $60! I called to complain (ethical companies shouldn't make you call to cancel, but SirusXM does) and demanded that they remove the charge. He removed most of it but said I would still have to pay the prorated amount for what was already used. I said no because I never signed up for it, and after he "talked to his supervisor," he removed that too. I was lucky to get the charges removed, but still they shouldn't do that. Today I got a "special winback offer" in the mail that went in the trash.

Original review: March 23, 2018

SiriusXM Radio renewed my account without notifying me! The rate jumped from $99 to $243! I called to cancel and was told it would take 3-5 days to process the refund. After 7 business days the money was still not back in my account! I called a second time on the 7th day. I was told that the first request had not been processed. I asked to speak to a manager. I was told one would return my call in 24-48 hours. I refused and said that I would wait for a manager became available. It took about 15 minutes before a manager took the call. I was told again that it would take 3-5 days to process the refund.

I got very upset and told him what I thought of that as I had been told that a week and a half ago. He finally said he could expedite it. I assured him I would not be using their service again and I would tell my friends about it! So here I am waiting again to get my money back!!! It amazes me that they can cancel my radio immediately but I’m having so much trouble getting my money back!

Original review: March 20, 2018

The tl/dr is that if you want to cancel you have to be persistent and may have to cancel your credit/debit card to make sure they don't keep taking money from you. I'd been a Sirius subscriber since 2006. I had it in a car and two portable radios. I thought the service was expensive and eventually switched to their stream only option. I didn't have too much trouble cancelling the car and the other radios had lifetime subscriptions. When it came to cancelling my stupid $54.67 per year streaming only service it got crazy. I called in 2016 to cancel when the current subscription expired. They assured me everything was good and it looked good online. They ended up renewing my subscription anyway. I caught the charge on my debit card so I called them to correct it and we went around and around like everyone else with billing issues. Once again I thought I was good but they would never agree to cancel it and wouldn't refund my money.

Finally I just gave up even though I knew that's what they wanted. I canceled the debit card I used as a payment method so I knew they wouldn't be able to auto renew when it came due in July 2017. During the time between July 2016 and July 2017 they continuously called me multiple times per day and emailed me. It got to the point I blocked their calls since I was getting so many every day. Eventually I actually went into my account and changed the contact number to a telephone time of day service (yes, one still exists). That actually stopped the calls. I also filtered their emails to automatically delete since I was receiving so many. Since I was no longer using Sirius in any way and were blocking them I forgot about the July 2017 auto renewal. Last week (3/12/18) one of their emails slipped through my filters and made me remember the auto renewal. I logged in to see what the status was and saw I was in arrears.

I had no intention of paying it so I called in to cancel my account again. This time they were much nicer, more organized and way less pushy. The service rep assured me that my account was canceled but at the end of the call she asked me to update my payment method so they could charge me for the amount I "owed." I told her I wasn't going to do that and had cancelled my card specifically so they did not have the ability to automatically take money from my account. She said that the money was for a valid service and I still owed them. She said she would send me an invoice. Again I told her I would never pay it and I just wanted my account cancelled. After going in circles she eventually told me it was cancelled but I still owed them for the service. She remained friendly and professional and I remained friendly and professional and we hung up.

I waited 3 hours and checked my account. Nothing had changed in regards to my subscription or the amount I "owed." I called back in (this time I was recording the phone call) and talked to a different rep. I told the rep I was recording the call. He again said he was cancelling my account (it hadn't been cancelled by the first rep) but I still owed them the money for the service. I told this rep that I would never pay and had actually cancelled by debit card to avoid them automatically taking money from me and I considered them a completely sleazing and unethical company. This rep actually consulted with a manager and said they'd cancel my account and remove what they said I "owed." I checked my account an hour later and the charges were removed and I could actually see in the invoice where they made the adjustment to Zero me out and I no longer see any subscriptions. I will see if it stays this way.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Same problems as others with the service. It came free for 6 months and when the six months were up, they expected me to continue my service. I refused and they sent me a bill for app. 12.99 or so. I call again and cancel, and they put me on hold again. They did not cancel my service. I called several times more and the same thing happened over and over again. Bad customer service and they will not cancel your service when you ask them to. I told them after the fourth time, I was going to call the Better Business Bureau and then and only then, they cancel my service and sent me a final bill for 20. I refuse to pay it. Never again will I get SiriusXM radio.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Sirius XM came included with my new car, and I enjoyed the satellite radio service for a while, but when the bill came, I noticed (as many do) that this service is way too expensive. In a world where Spotify exists, nobody needs Sirius XM. So I called to cancel, and the agent sweetened the deal with a temporary promotional price that sounded closer to reasonable. Of course 3 months later, the promotion ends, and I'm back on the phone to call customer service to cancel. This happens 3 or 4 more times, and I'm finally over it. I'm serious about cancelling Sirius. I called today on my way home from work at 6:15 pm Pacific, and the agent puts me on hold.

I'm holding for 30 MINUTES, listening to the same terrible jazz song that qualifies as their "hold" music, over and over and over again, and every now and again a message repeats itself saying something to the effect of "Visit SiriusXM.com to cut out the wait time. Manage your account on SiriusXM.com. Or, stay on hold to speak to an agent." I stay on hold a few minutes past the 30 minute mark when a message says "OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER IS NOW CLOSED." >_<

Over 30 minutes on hold with nothing to show for it, and now I have to call back tomorrow morning to wait on hold some more so that hopefully I can finally cancel. Oh, and I did check SiriusXM.com, and guess what -- they don't let you cancel your service online! You have to call! It's the only way! I'm going to suck it up and wait how ever long it takes on the phone to finally cancel, but I warn everyone DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH SIRIUS XM. This behavior by a company is borderline criminal.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Canceled my service and even received a call asking if I wanted to sign up again. Decline. Then a few weeks later received a call saying my bill was past due. When I called to tell them there cannot be a bill that I canceled service, they told me they had no record of it and that I owed $12.10 for service to date. Customer service rep could only read canned script and repeat herself. Did not listen to me that canceled service and did not owe. Did not offer to check into it for me or anything. Would not recommend this company. Very poor customer service.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I have never seen I more crooked company. I canceled a service with them a month ago. I had to get 3 people before I could get a English speaking person I could understand. I told them I want to cancel. The guy basically wouldn't let me. Kept trying to get me to say I want to continue. I finally after yelling got him to let me pay off balance. I paid 15 dollars. Got him to say I'm done. No more charges. The radio stopped working that day. Thought we're done. Wrong. Got a bill today month later. Once again they wouldn't let me cancel. Said I'm still active. I was about to lose my life. He kept saying "You want to renew. I need to..." I kept saying I cancelled.

He hung up on me. My wife called back. She got some American guy. He was like normal. Understood. Said he emailed us a letter saying we owe nothing and are canceled. I might add each call 4 or 5 was transferred 3 times. Had to start over each time. Terrible scam. Avoid this unethical company at all cost. I hope they go broke. Also add my friend bought a lifetime membership with SiriusXM Satellite Radio 600 dollars. He wrecked his truck that week. Bought a new one. They said they can't transfer it. Wow.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I just received an auto renewal notice from Sirius and about fell out of my rocking chair! Wow. My first year was free, my second year was $136.54 (reasonable) and the renewal is for $297.51. This is an increase of 45% for a service that I might use 1-2 hours average per week. There are several stations on Sirius but I use only 4-5 stations. I consider this a bait and switch by the auto manufacturer, the new car dealer and Sirius radio. This is a very questionable business practice and I think all Sirius subscribers should consider a class action lawsuit to discourage this kind of business practice. I am considering contacting the Colorado Attorney General to bring attention to this "bait and switch technique"... These people are greedy, unethical crooks (Sirius). I am ticked off and I am not going to take it anymore! Comments from others would be most appreciated. Thank you for the opportunity to vent, I feel much better now.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I bought my 2017 Ford explorer in November 2016 with 6 months SiriusXM radio and 5 year travel link. Renewed radio May 2017 which was turned off in November 2017. Recently my travel link was turned off and called 3 times and kept getting different answers from them. First they said it was never activated within year so the offer of 5 years expired. I called the dealer but they say the service is activated when they get them on the lot. Called SiriusXM radio and was advised no service shown on the radio id number so they wanted credit card number or receipt number. I found credit card receipt called back third time they showed it was paid in May 2017 but when I did not renew the service was turned off. They want to charge me to activate my service which was paid by Ford Motor for 5 years because Sirius radio turned off all my services instead of just the radio service when it was not renewed.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Sirius is a scam. They auto renew your service without your consent so they can steal your money. Radio service is mediocre. Claim no commercials but they have a ton of their own. I do not recommend to anyone.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Started out free obviously, 6 mos. promo (30.00) then once they get your credit card on file... watch out. I am a bit on the frugal side but 3 times the quote "promo" price is too much. Also, no notice, no bill nothing just a 102.00 charge. No other service with an automatic payment ups the price to 3 or 4 times what you previously paid without ANY notification. I KNOW there are others out there like me who were astounded at the price for 6 mos. service. They tried to persuade me to continue but they would never drop my credit card off the auto pay and send me a bill, therefore I'm done. Not worth what they gouge you for. So there's my rant. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I enjoy satellite radio but, I refused to do business with XM. I got a free trial when I bought a used car from the Toyota dealership. It came with the car, I did not order it. I enjoyed the radio so, when I got a letter offering a deal on 1-year of service I sent in the order form. I paid with a check in advance for 1-year. I read the agreement and did not check the box for automatic renewal. Close to the end of the year I got a letter or two and a couple of calls warning me that my subscription was about to run out and that I needed to renew. I decided not to renew. About a month later I got a bill for the next month at three times the previous rate. I called and was told that all their accounts were automatic renewals.

I said I did not request auto renewal and did not want the service. It took me three calls and about 1-hour on the phone to cancel the service. I probably would have kept the service at the rate I was first charged but to triple the rate after the first year was too much. Also the hour on the phone to cancel decided for me that I did not want to do business with them. As I said great product, bad company. DO NOT ORDER A SUBSCRIPTION WITH THEM, UNLESS YOU WANT IT FOR LIFE AT WHATEVER PRICE THEY DECIDE. You can spend an hour every year negotiating a new deal if you want. That is too much trouble. If they can sell it to you for 1/3 the price then do it and offer a fair price and cancel it when the customer says and you will get all the business you need. Why ruin a great product?

Original review: March 5, 2018

It does not matter if you want to cancel or change your subscription. The consumer is forced to call their number and every single time, you will be on the phone for at least 30 minutes, if not an hour. When you hang up and check your account, there will inevitably be a mistake that will end up costing you more, so you have to call them back and spend more time trying to get them to fix their mistake, which is most likely done to get more money out of the consumer. I have my SiriusXM to expire each 6 months and must call to get the discounted rate. I pay the price dearly to save that $200 - $300 per year, all in time and frustration on the telephone. I seriously dread the date each 6 months that I have to call them. Cancelling the account is not any easier. So frustrated!!

Original review: March 5, 2018

Sirius Radio apparently has a policy where you can only cancel your subscription by phone. You receive notifications that your subscription is up and even receive a paper copy to renew. If you do not cancel by phone, they continue to charge you. In my case, my Sirius was not renewed by me. My Sirius radio satellite quit working near the time it had expired. I received no notification that I was going to be continued to be charged even though I never renewed. I didn't renew my subscription and then received a phone call a month later saying I was being charged for a month since I didn't cancel via phone and that is the only way I could cancel. I received no explanation of this via email, via in response to the bill sent to me, but am still being charged the $21 plus change.

The representative claimed to speak with his supervisor that the $21 could not be waived, but offered me (surprisingly) more deals to sign up for another year of service. Not a chance. I was pretty riled up because as calm as the representative was being, it was very clear he didn't care, had no value for me as the customer, could hear laughing in the background, and he placed total blame of miscommunication for not knowing how to cancel on me. He also justified the $21 plus change fee.

We will never get Sirius again. Truly a joke of a company; if you ever wish to cancel, they will find a way to add more charges. $21 is not a lot for one person, but can you imagine when they do this to people in the thousands? Shameful. Why did they not call me to say I was going to continued to be charged and give me an opportunity to cancel? They could have sent correspondence or a message. The truth is the representative clearly has heard these complaints before and it was all about how to make more money. Very poor customer service. They should not be allowed to charge people for an additional month unless they let them know that is what they are doing. After seeing tons of reviews on the Internet, it is very clear I am just one of many who has received these type of charges.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Trying to cancel the Free Trial Subscription (I did not request). The is a huge scam, I purchased my Dodge in 2014, after SiriusXM refusing to cancel my free trial I ended up paying over $100.00 to cancel, SiriusXM said, "In fine print you are a subscriber after the free trial." Mar. 2018, they has sent me another free trial, and I had to speak with 3 people with long hold times to get this stopped. They said, "You cannot cancel a Free Trial." I did not order this Free Trial. It was automatically turned on by SiriusXM.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Please Sirius - you offer a great product but you need to change out the employees on the other end of your customer service. I just tried to sign onto 5 months for 30 some dollars. As she was repeating the guidelines four times out of RUDENESS - I stated that for the MANY years I have been a customer I try and get into another promotion before the other has ended. Let's face it people this is what we do! SHE then repeated the contract again and again. I SAID YES! She hung up on me- SO SIRIUS when you have employees like this with ATTITUDES - you will LOSE OUT.

Original review: March 2, 2018

The customer service is substandard at best. They employ non-native English personnel who work off a script. They do not understand nuances of the language and in my experience therefore cannot complete a transaction properly. Their lack of addressing this issue will undoubtedly be the reason for loss of revenue.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Called to cancel my service early this morning, spoke to an agent who talked me out of it by offering a promo which always irritates me when companies do this (don't offer it to existing customers, only if they threaten to cancel). Called back in to add 2nd radio as part of the deal the agent and I agreed to, was told hold time was 34 minutes, press 1 or callback, pressed 1. Was called back, but the system could not recognize that I was speaking the option "one" to accept the callback, nor could it recognize me pressing 1 on my phone to accept the callback. It called me back 3 times, never could recognize my saying or pressing 1, so it warned that the callback was canceled. I called back in, it said "Wait time is 40 minutes, do you want to hold or do callback" (hold of course, since your callbacks don't actually work), and literally within the first 5 seconds of my "40 minute hold time", I was connected to an agent.

Stellar phone system SiriusXM, you get it off of eBay? This agent I got connected to wouldn't honor the agreement that the first agent and I agreed to, said the first agent didn't type in thorough notes and she couldn't agree to the same deal, so bye bye SiriusXM for good, will never subscribe again and will do my best to recommend to others that they do not either. My other favorite thing was, I kept asking repeatedly to speak to the first agent that I had come to the terms with, "impossible". Get a real phone system and learn how to run a call center. If you can't put the first agent on the phone, fine, listen to the darn call between him and I and you'll hear what we agreed to!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I read down pretty deep about all the complaints. All, bar none were about the poor customer service. I never had to deal with customer service because the auto-billing went smoothly. But now my subscription has run out and they call 3 times a day, I have never answered because I don't want to renew. So I want to mention my problem that no one else has mentioned. It is like cable TV, you have 500 channels but maybe 5 have any value. And of those 5, they are spread out, you cannot preset your station buttons for Sirius. If you want rock, rather than put them all in a row, you have to push the button 30 times to get to another rock station. The country stations are fairly close to one another. There is only one Christian station. There are 450 stations that play obsolete junk that no one has ever heard of.

And any of you who are old enough to remember the pre FM days where you would drive under a bridge, your AM radio would give out, this is what Sirius does. Not only under bridges though, I live in the 3rd largest city in the USA and there are more dead spots than you can shake a stick at. You're driving along the interstate in the middle of the city, singing along, and ALL the Sirius stations would just die. I just simply decided it is not worth the cost. Since FM is nothing but loud obnoxious car commercials, almost no music at all, I guess it's back to buying CDs again. How awful.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio Company Information