1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2607 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

SiriusXM has some great stations and sometimes great music. However, they claim to be commercial free but they are not. When listening to a station, 70’s on 7, for example, they have to advertise what station you are listening to after almost EVERY song. This is incredibly annoying, especially when the music is turned up a notch. For this reason, Spotify seems to be a better choice. It is less expensive, more options, zero commercials, and customizable. I will not renew next year.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Looked at website to add service to a used car I purchased. Have a great plan of $5.00 a month for 6 months for new subscribers, but when you try to purchase the plan, can't locate it. I made the mistake of contacting online customer service, I was told after providing radio ID number, that they could help. Provides 6 month plan at $40.00 higher than what is on the website. I question, the extra cost, I get, "Oh, sorry, we made a mistake, now you can have the $5.00 plan." Couldn't wait to now sign me up, which, I'm not going to give my information over to someone who doesn't know the base plans available.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

The process I just went through to be “given” a home radio, but only pay the shipping fee, and then after agreeing to this and providing my credit card, I learned there is a $15 activation fee. After complaining that I had not been told that, I then learn of a $10/month service fee! Unacceptably misleading!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

After 13 years!! of continuous service price was finally too much. Tried to change plan on website and couldn’t even get in. Super frustrated, gave up and decided to cancel which apparently isn’t option on website. Called customer service and they gave me runaround. Eventually had to yell at rep over and over and threaten legal action and finally cancelled service. So sad because I love the music especially in remote places. Horrible treatment of customers.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I received Sirius Radio when I bought my car. It was free for a year. My year is almost up and I want to cancel. I called the number given and after a machine gets my account info, I am redirected to a voice mail that says no one available at this time. This happened day after day for a week. I tried calling the main number and after being on hold for 30 minutes I was told they could only set up accounts and they gave me the same number I'd been calling and suggested I try the chat line. I tried the chat line twice - once cutoff and the second time was told for security reasons they can't cancel on a chat but here is the phone number.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sirius XM?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Bought 2 lifetime subscriptions. First one was transferred from one vehicle to a new vehicle with no problem. Now being told it will cost $75 to transfer the second subscription from an old vehicle to a new one. Bait and switch move - does not live up to their customer promises. Will never look at SiriusXM again. Spotify is much better and no commercials. Don’t trust SiriusXM to honor their promises.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Radio stopped working - would only tune to setup channel 184. Tried online signal refresh with no success. Called tech help. Humored them with trying another signal refresh and then trying to move antenna (no point moving it from where it had worked for years) with no success. At that point (it was an older model admittedly) they asked if I had a manual - I said I would have to look for it (this indicates to me a very low level of tech assistance that they ask ME for a manual). At this point they recommended I buy a new radio unit. While I didn't really feel they had adequately checked the problem I agreed to purchase new unit, but only with understanding that new unit would work with my existing boom box. They asked for model number of boom box, put me on hold and said new unit would be compatible with boom box. New unit arrived in mail 5 days later. NEW UNIT WAS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY BOOM BOX.

I called back to Sirius and explained problem. Agent was not helpful to say the least. Put me on hold six times and after 45 minutes of frustration of call going nowhere (including me requesting to speak with someone else) agent insisted repeatedly that unit did fit boom box and suggested he wouldn't even accept a return of unit. At this point I lost my temper and demanded to speak with a supervisor. WHEN AGENT INSISTED THAT I GIVE HIM A REASON WHY, I STARTED YELLING AND REGRETTABLY SAID, "BECAUSE YOU ARE A MORON!" I was eventually transferred to someone else (not even sure that was even true - they sounded the same to me) who claimed to be a supervisor who was outwardly hostile to me and gave me more disinformation, and two more people who couldn't help but one actually gave me an RA number to return new unit.

I don't understand this whole experience. How could an agent insist repeatedly (and wrongly) like that. After telling him a half dozen times that he is wrong and is directly contradicting what I have told him, and agent refuses to transfer me, and is suggesting that they won't even accept a return of an item that they are responsible for not being compatible, how am I supposed to react? I AM OFFENDED BY THIS EXPERIENCE. I have had Sirius for the 12 years only to listen to Howard Stern (plus another 12 years or more that I listened to Howard on regular radio before). Thought I would very much like to continue listening to show, I can't do business with a company that treated me this way, and makes zero effort to make their mistakes right.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My new Subaru came with a trial period. I never used it since I have android auto and Apple CarPlay... I am getting calls after calls to renew and although I have told them, "Absolutely not." They keep trying. Trial period is up in 2 weeks. If I get charged or get billed, all hell will break loose.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

As a multiyear customer of SiriusXM, I came to the realization satellite radio is a needless expense especially in late model vehicles equipped with Carplay or Bluetooth enabled devices coupled with ownership of a smartphone with a data plan. Why pay for static radio when you can easily utilize your smartphone with data plan for streaming, and with higher sound quality? Virtually everyone today owns a smartphone and subscription to Amazon Prime, Pandora or other streaming music service. The only value in my opinion for satellite radio is if you do not own a smartphone, live in a radio-isolated region such as parts of rural Texas, or you drive for a taxi or ride hailing service.

As such, when I contacted SiriusXM customer service for cancellation and credit for the remaining balance, I was transferred to a retention representative who attempted to sell me on a service suspension for up to six months, then by default, automatic reinstatement of service! He explained to read the terms in the email letter they were sending. So, if in the event SiriusXM charges my credit card for an unwanted renewal, I will resort to the chargeback mechanism as most people should when acting in good faith with companies such as this one. Admittedly Sirius may have a desirable market in aviation, on cruise ships in the middle of the ocean, and maybe even in outer space, but certainly not in modern transportation with premium entertainment systems coupled to user's smartphones!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

On 01/13/2019 I received an email notifying me that Sirius had charged my card 384 dollars and change for renew. I was pretty upset as I had made them take down my card as they did the same thing last year. They say I allowed it but I kept the email with change from last year. I filed a complaint with the BBB and may also with my State Attorney General. Is this the norm for them. It seems yes. Of course they did then offer discounts like last year but I cancelled. I to find it hard as they have a monopoly on Satellite Radio. But no more after 6 years I have cut them out for good and good riddance.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Renewal was automatic when Sirius XM Canada was advised in 2018 January to not do any more automatic renewals. This was changed and now I am being charged again by the parent company. As I only listen to only two channels and for one it is mostly the DJ speaking with very little music content and the other channel is mostly repetitive artists; the channels being the '50s and '60s. I was offered $237.77 for one year for listening to only these two channels, then offered $105.00 for these two channels and finally $45.00 for six months. When I declined I was informed I would pay a cancellation fee even though my renewal date was today, January 13, 2019. I will never go back to this unethical music provider. Being from Canada I would rather listen to Trudeau; or, Trump before paying for this service again. It's a shame they have a monopoly. I am sure I am not the only one this company has held hostage.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

After 10 years I'm done. We have 2 cars and 2 separate billing statements. I've called them to combine both cars and have one billing statement amount, but they refused. They are now allowing their DJs to speak more between songs about nonsense and sometimes the DJs slip in their own political views. I only listen to 4 or 5 stations and mostly all music stations. I also stopped listening to channel 24 the Margaritaville channel because of Jimmy's left leading fundraising. I just signed up for Pandora's upgrade for $4.99 per month. A much better deal and none of the nonsense. FYI, Don't let Sirius XM put you on their automatic billing. You can opt out on their website.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I called to cancel my subscription on 1/2/19 before the new subscription renewed. I asked the lady I spoke with several times if the subscription was cancelled and she said yes and even said that I would not be charged for the new subscription. I just looked on my bank account and noticed I had gotten charged $14.04 for a monthly fee. I called customer service and of course their offices are closed. I logged onto my account and was able speak to a supervisor through their chat program and was basically told that I signed up for another month and if I wanted to cancel I would only get a partial credit. I told him several times that wasn't correct. Their notes are not correct. Why would I call to cancel only to sign up for another month. I told the supervisor that didn't make any sense. He said there was nothing else he can do. This company is committing fraud. Someone from the BBB really needs to look into this company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I spent over 1 hr talking to someone in the Philippines about my account. I had been charged for a radio in a car I traded in a year ago. Their rep basically said, "Sorry Charley, no refund." This company is ripping off consumers. Their customer service is a joke. They can barely speak english. All they're interested is making a sale. This is what happens when there's no competition.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I just received an email with a promotion to resubscribe for $9.99 a month for 12 months plus a free Amazon Dot. When I hit the icon to accept it linked me to their website and said I needed my ID # which I had forgotten. I called XM to get my ID # and they said that the promotion I was looking at expired already and it expired in March, it is now January and then they tried to sell me on the same package for hundreds of dollars more. I asked to speak with a supervisor and he said that the promotion ended in December and not March but said he would give a great deal that's still more expensive and also would NOT include an Amazon Dot...so more money and no freebie and that's a great deal?

Then I asked for my ID#. I went back to my email and entered all the info and it still says that I can get it for $9.99 a month for 12 months and get the Amazon Dot. So I hit accept and then it said the amount due was over $250.00. I'm for what? Taxes and fees and a royalty fee that had no price but a question mark, no joke, a question mark and it also said for past dues... How can I have past dues when it's pay as you go and I haven't had service for 4 years? Bait and switch, likes and scams.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have tried twice to cancel the service. The representative tells me that I have to wait until the subscription is about to expire. They try to give me a reduced rate every time I call. I don't like the service and don't want to renew. I don't recommend them at all, don't ever let the dealer hook up the free service on your new car.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have tried to contact employees or customer service department via chat and phone calls emails etc. I work 59 hours a week and have small children as my time is precious. I have spent over a total of 4 hours trying to receive this service and have not. However I am still getting billed for something they must be aware that I have not received. Worst customer service I have ever experienced in my 45 years of life. At this point I would not accept their service if it was free. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

After been a customer for a LONG TIME without prior notice this company raised my monthly premium cost. If I had not checked my bank statement I would have been charged from $5.99 to $20.99 just like that. After speaking with some Chinese dude on the phone for 45 mins, they were able to FINALLY find the agreement I had for the last years of service back to the $5.99. Since this practice are NOT WHAT WE AGREED I cancelled my subscription FOREVER!!! Be on the lookout of your finances with these people, they will rip you off as soon as they can!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I've been a Satellite radio customer for a few years across XM and SiriusXM. The service has been very convenient when traveling. The staff is always generous and polite during renewal calls with great customer service without compelling me to renew immediately. The promotional renewals are at a good rate.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I received a notice of automatic renewal at a huge price so I called the toll free number to cancel and not to renew. I chose the callback option instead of holding and was told wait time approximately 12 minutes. After an hour, I called again and waited on hold for an agent, close to 40 minutes with the phone on speaker. When the person answered asked me several questions before advising me she could not help me and would transfer to someone that could help. It was 2 1/2 hours getting my account canceled. I received the return call from the first phone call about a hour after the cancellation...

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I don't know why I give them my business but this is the last time. They are overpriced and make it purposely very difficult to cancel your subscription. I sold my truck and just need to cancel but after five minutes on chat, they gave me a number to call. Then a six-minute wait to talk to someone who then insisted to continue to try to sell me stuff after I said I was not interested several times. I would avoid them like the plague.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Complete ineptitude. I contacted them via chat for my Radio ID info. The agent Raul kept giving me the incorrect account number. I had the last 4 digits from an email they sent me but I needed the rest. After wasting 20 minutes chatting with him I called their 800 number and spoke to a supervisor named Robin. She kept insisting that I had a free trial despite the fact that I am paying monthly. I will be canceling my subscription immediately. I love the radio stations and the music, but the customer service is so horrible it's not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I get this offer a week or so ago. 12 months for $4.99 a month. I go the site and almost join up and then I see this note saying that on January 15, 2019 the music royalties will increase by 21.4%... So I click on chat and yes according to the person I spoke to it's true. Nowhere on the offer I received in the mail (Which has my name, account number, vehicle info etc.) does it say that there will be an increase in January. I so told the person they were Liars and Thieves and that I will never join them. Do need them really but for $60.00 I would have.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Sirius is a monopoly. I've had Sirius since 2010. Every year I fight about price. My radio was shut off yesterday because they say I cancelled my contract last June. NO! Their rep cancelled then reinstated last year as a clerical error. INEPT.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased a vehicle in 2010 with Sirius Radio. I purchased a lifetime subscription to the satellite radio. We just purchased a 2018 vehicle and are coming to the end of the 6-month free trial. I called Sirius customer "care" and asked to transfer service from the 2010 to the 2018. What did the service representative do? CANCELLED MY LIFETIME SERVICE! Now the customer service department cannot reactivate it because they don't offer it any longer. So at this point, I have no satellite radio and I paid a lifetime subscription.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I got my lifetime subscription over ten years ago. At the time it was CAD$500. It worked great! There was no stipulations about how many transfers one can do. All of a sudden they tell me that there is a maximum of three. That was a nasty move on the company’s part. Do they think that people get three cars in their lifetime? I got a new car, and they said this will be my last transfer. After this I will lose my lifetime subscription. If I want to keep it, they told me I need to purchase their radio that is meant for SiriusXM. I got a new radio for home. Tried to attach my subscription to it.

After multiple phone calls, they could not find my subscription, tried to start a new monthly one... I can believe how terrible people that work there are. Then they would drop a call and I need to call again. Each call at least an hour long. O my god, it’s infuriating!!! After the signal is terrible! What happened to Sirius, they were so good before! Did they start losing money and decided to get rid of all the people with lifetime subscriptions! Oh, and as I was writing this, they dropped my call again!!! I was on call with them for 50 minutes. Please, someone buy the company over from them and make it great again. Terrible, terrible, terrible!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I called to negotiate the charges on my renewal of my annual subscription. I have an account with three cars but the third has a different renewal date. I looked up my account and saw that my automatic renewal rate on 12/18/18 was for over $230 (about). I called and negotiated them down and got a better rate for over half the price. Interestingly after I got the new rate, I found an email dated for 10/27/18 that my renewal was going to happen on 12/18/18 for $131.88. I am glad I called to negotiate my rate but it is fraud to email me that the rate was going to be less than what they actually charged. Thankfully my email rate was still lower, but had I not caught it, they would have charged me $100 more than their renewal notice indicated.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I paid almost 700 dollars for a lifetime service. I had it a few years with no problems. They told me when I paid for it they would allow three transfers as per agreement with this deal. Well I transferred it to a car, for a couple of years with terrible service cutting out always updating and so on, I got tired of it and today I want to transfer my service (2 TIME) as per their agreement with me, I wanted to transfer it to a portable radio. WELL GUESS WHAT, they have the nerve to tell me I have reached my limit (WHAT). I only transferred it ONE TIME, they tell me in 2007 they changed the rules... If you transfer service to a car (they never told me!!!) it will stay with the car. These people are thieves and I feel helpless. They refuse to help me just to say, "We so sorry BUT."

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

All I wanted to do was transfer my subscription from my old vehicle to my new vehicle. I already have a subscription and just paid on it 4 days ago. Now they want to charge me AGAIN for another month of service just to do the transfer. What the heck??? And to top it off their system was apparently not working... How convenient! So you want to charge my card right away for double service but can't do the transfer right now... call back later. Hell No! Shady business people... How hard is it to transfer a dumb satellite signal?!?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Very irritated that it's not easy to cancel. I have to call during "business hours" to do so. Service came with my car when I bought it, I stayed with them for a couple of years. It's great for what it does - give you access to a bunch of stations wherever you are. I've been in areas where actual radio signals are pretty bare, which makes for some interesting listening for 10 minutes. But, I live in an urban area with tons of local radio, and little time in the hinterlands. Plus, CDs can play music out of radio range, and I like my CDs. The worst part is the expense. Basically $20/month, of which there are way too many charges already in my life. Another issue, trivial, but there's a $2.00 "invoice fee". So they can send me a bill? Plus $11.63 in state taxes. Looks like about 10% tax on the service. This isn't XMRadio's fault, but what? Sales tax in my state is 6%.

The second worse part is the station selection. I'm paying for around 200 (300? 400?) stations, where I might use maybe 20 of them. The best part of SiriusXM - it comes from satellites. How cool is that? If you want to pay $20 month (for bare car service) to be connected to satellites, go for it. Sirius relies on 6 month billing, so you'll think that $100 or so is not noticeable. If you don't spend a lot of time in your car in the hinterlands, or are not a tunes/news junkie with XM radio available in home and car and online (at extra charges) DECLINE THIS SERVICE WHEN YOU BUY YOUR CAR. Cancelling is hard. By design. I've tried to leave a balanced review, but I am walking sideways (crabby) at how hard it is to cancel. When I say "I'm crabby", I'm actually incensed.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio Company Information