SiriusXM Satellite Radio

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've been a customer of SiriusXM for about 6 months. When my time was up I called to cancel because I couldn't find enough stations I liked to listen to. They offered me a deal for 6 months at $30 + tax (~$8.42 more). I agreed thinking it's worth that for the 3 stations I find worth listening to. They agreed to send me a statement as I wouldn't DARE give them my charge card information (too many nightmares about their charges automatically appearing).

I sent them a check and they said they never received it. The check is still outstanding and it's been 15 days. Seems like this may be a ploy to get customer's charge card info... they sit on the check and then pester the member with everyday emails saying, "action required or your service will be disconnected". I called and they said they'd wait another 10 days to see if the check clears and would stop sending reminder emails. Well... the emails continue each and every day. I also got a call from a guy overseas someplace asking for payment. Sheesh! I called today to cancel. Even if the check goes though and I'm out a few bucks, so be it. I'm really done with this business.

I only use the app for the HS show. The app freezes often, skips to different areas of the broadcast and you cannot properly scroll within the broadcast as it is set up to do. I have complained to SiriusXM many times and for months they have given me the same exact answers... "We are aware that it is broken and we are working to resolve it". Today, I had a new issue to stack onto the many others that I have had over the last few months and the idiotic online tech told me to uninstall and reinstall the app.

This useless information has been given to me many times before and it reminds me of calling computer tech support in the 90s ("reboot your machine"). Of course I have already done this stupid, useless and deterring function before I wasted my time reaching out to support for help. I've spent hours dealing with these issues and today they offered me a $10 credit. "Make it absolutely free or pull the broken product from being offered for use until you know very well that it works" was my response.

VERY EXPENSIVE RADIO, not great quality PLUS YOU STILL HAVE TO LISTEN TO COMMERCIALS. You have to fight and argue to cancel. They keep changing their prices, one crappy offer after another. Really, $120 a year to hear direct response commercials in the middle of the broadcast? Connect a bluetooth device in your car and WALLA! Connect your phone and play your own music; connect to Pandora (a much better value and less money) or AHA radio... So many choices that have better value. Fight them and Cancel now; watch these Wallstreet sharks die...

As I write this I have been on the phone with 3 different Sirius reps for 50 minutes. All I wanted to is cancel automatic renewal of my account. Paid what they said I owed them. Called today about 6 months for $30 offer I got. They said I can't get that and what I had paid to settle account was really a renewal for another month. Gave me a 5 month deal but did not add the month I just paid for. I am now speaking with the 4th person who has admitted I am due another month. They say they are removing my credit card today. We'll see. Most frustrating thing I have ever done.

I just don't get why they won't become part of the modern era and let people subscribe and cancel their service of their own volition. I would use anyone for a comparable service if I could and when one comes along I will leave Sirius immediately. Making your customers fight over terms, conditions, prices, etc. (like no automatic renewal) every 6 months is just a poor way to do business. I use them now but I hate them and was just told that if I want to renew the next time for 6 months with no automatic renewal I will be subject to an "activation" charge. Hell will freeze over prior to my paying that one!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sirius XM?

I recently purchased a Ford vehicle with a free subscription to Sirius Radio. The service is poor, and I live in Philadelphia, the music cuts out nearly every song at least once. I decided to let the service lapse as it is not worth $125 a year to me. In the past three weeks I have received no less than 30 calls with no voicemail from what I now know is Sirius. After telling an operator the situation I was told to answer the phone to avoid callbacks. After finally speaking with a supervisor a few calls later the calls have stopped, I hope. Shame on this company and their outdated badgering of would-be customers. I would recommend staying away from this company, there are more agile and cost effective ways to stream music that don't entail such harassment.

I am very unhappy with the Sirius 2-year subscription renewal rates. When I started out with this company in 2006, the cost for a 2-year radio boom box subscription was something like $187 for 2 years. And it went to $253. And 2 years ago it was $354.14. Today it is $437.10 for 2 years. $18.10 per month. This is outrageous. Without us long-time, loyal customers, this outfit would be nothing. They are gouging us!

I purchased a premier lifetime subscription to Sirius radio some years ago, which at the time included internet radio. The plans changed and Internet was discontinued and required customers to purchase it separately. I recently received an email that stated premier customers can upgrade to all access for free which includes internet radio, only to find out that if you purchased a lifetime subscription, you are excluded from this offer. They no longer offer the premier package but if you are a current monthly or annual subscriber to premier, you now are considered an all access subscription which includes internet radio. I was told that in order for me to get all access I would have to purchase a new radio or reactivate one or more of my previously deactivated Sirius radio with the all access subscription.

After multiple attempts to activate a previous home receiver, I was told it was active under a limited subscription and in order to have the all access I would have to pay $20.00 + tax and other costs. How can they change your original contract that included internet radio then send a email saying you will get it back, only to be told no because you paid all upfront so it doesn't apply to you.

We had a Sirius account that I called to cancel after I saw they put $150.00 on my credit card. The CS person would not listen and tried to sell me on a different plan - over and over, and I kept telling her to cancel, cancel, the answer is NO I'm not interested - on and on for 20 minutes. Finally, I got tired and hung up on her because she was determined not to listen. I called four more times throughout the week and finally got someone in an office in Wisconsin who stated they are never supposed to treat customers that way. It took three calls to get the amount off my credit card. Then, I thought I would give them one more chance, and called on Christmas Eve to have my husband's account renewed as a Christmas gift. I was told they would have his account set up within 30 minutes. NOT! So, I am totally done with Sirius!!! I do not trust them and they have not been truthful in their dealings with me.

I don't know what all the complaints are about! SiriusXM is awesome! In my car, on my iPhone or iPad, almost anywhere, anytime! I don't use it for the music, the access to a wide verity of news and information is outstanding. Lots on demand or if I pause I can't go back to where I left off or if I start listening late I can start from the beginning (iPad-iPhone). Since I signed up I have not talked to them so no customer service issues, If I cancel I will just cancel my card, no billing issues!

After a call to cancel service, I received a call two weeks later about our bill. I informed them that we had canceled service. I was told that our account was still active. I said I wanted to cancel. The person on the phone said they would make a notation on the account. I asked if that would cancel my service. It would not. I asked to be connected to someone that could. When I was connected, I had to repeatedly say no to special pricing and repeatedly say I want to cancel service. This was a process that took about eight mins. The salesperson would offer a lower price and ask if that price sounded good? Due to the manner of the sales tactics I was incurring, I decided to also cancel my business account with them.

I've been an XM then Sirius/XM customer since 2006 - loved the idea of no commercial radio. In my last vehicle - my Jeep I had it built in the vehicle radio and went with it, but canceled before selling it and getting a different truck. I was still being billed after I had sold my Jeep - got a bill and was kinda ticked off. I called to make sure I wasn't going to have to deal with them and the girl says - they don't want to lose me as a customer and offered to send me a receiver to put in my truck plus 3 months service to make up for what I owed on the service in my Jeep that I was still being billed for.

I thought that sounds good - well I spoke with them at the beginning of December 2016. Now it is the 28th of December and I am getting no signal - and as I checked my e-mail, they have billed me for last month and this month for the service in my Jeep - which is no longer owned by me and one month for new service in my truck - which doesn't even work. I think I am finally through with this company - they are the worst company out there right now.

The signal on my built in radio in my vehicle kept fading until it quit altogether. I phoned Series at least 5 times and each time they told me I had a problem with my radio after they repeatedly failed to activate the radio during those times. Primarily foreigners with very poor English skills. I had the radio checked at the dealership and nothing is wrong with it. The 6th time I phoned to cancel I was then charged 1/2 of my renewal fee under their cancellation policies even though long before the renewal date the series radio had no signal.

This illustrates the danger of a monopoly - This lack of competition creates the environment of "We are the only game in town so we can treat our customers poorly and still remain in business." I should have received a total refund on my renewal cost and also a credit for no service during the old contract. Their technical department is located in Cairo Egypt - like the Afghani rug dealers in Toronto; they are probably involved in other endeavors besides screwing you out of radio service and money with Series.

Just placed my annual 40-minute December call to Sirius for ** up my bill. Same ** every year. They do some very sketchy charges, and the only way to solve it - calling them and demanding an adjustment. Plus, the operators are clueless. I have to explain the charges to them, and tell them what to fix and what plan I want. As soon as Stern leaves, I'm getting out of this nightmare company.

Absolute nightmare trying to cancel a SiriusXM subscription on a TOTALED car. First, you can do everything online - e.g. change billing, change radios, upgrade service, etc., but you CANNOT cancel service at all online. Next, if you get their automated phone service and choose the option to cancel service, it will tell you it's having problems and disconnect you - every time. Then, if you finally get a representative, they will try for eons to get you to FIX your totaled car, to suspend your service for 5 months, use the radio on the internet, or something else as long as it isn't cancelled.

At one point I realized the only way to get it to stop might have to be telling my bank to just stop payments to them. Even after telling the representative this, she still tried to convince me to do 2038405638 things other than cancel. After centuries of talking to her, she closed the account. Most bizarre customer service I've experienced and after reading their reviews on Consumer Affairs, I'm genuinely confused as to how they think this will compel customers to keep or go back to their service... It's a bummer because I love their radio but am not going to pay for it while my car is broken in a dump site somewhere and now I can't imagine reactivating my service ever.

Tried canceling service (at the end of a contract); tried to do it online, they made me call. Was given extremely high pressure sales tactics. After 4 attempts and almost refusing to let me cancel and putting me on hold each time I said "Please cancel my service." I finally told the guy to cancel my service or I was going to blast him online and complain to the company. Unbelievable.

I signed up for the 6 mo Sirius for $30 and called to cancel once my 6 months was over. (Of course they have no record.) After 2 months I received another offer for 6 mo service for $30, which I sent in a check to renew. My service was not turned on, so I call Sirius and was told that I had an outstanding bill (NOT ONCE DID I RECEIVE A STATEMENT SHOWING I OWED THEM ANYTHING!!!) and that the money I sent was credited to my outstanding bill. If I want service then I would have to pay an additional $30.

I told Customer Service to send me my money back and he informed me that he couldn't do that, and he couldn't turn my service on. He was very rude and very hard to understand. Now I know why I never pay with a credit card because they would just continue to charge my account whatever they want and say that the special has expired. I have had Sirius radio off and on for the last 10 years. They have lost me as customer! #not-an-XM-fan-anymore!!

It's been two years and you think after Sirius dished out almost 4 million for the deceptive practices that they would have learned but they have not. I subscribed last May and paid for a 6 month subscription. It came up for renewal mid November of last month. At $20 a month, I wasn't sure if I wanted to renew so I sat on the fence about it and considered my options. I got a call from a Sirius rep asking me if I had made a decision yet. I said no, he gave me other options and then encouraged me to renew because the signal would be cut off in a few days.

I went online and they had a Music Only subscription for only $10.99. That was doable, so I renewed. They gave me the total of around $75 for the 6 months, I gave them my credit card and I thought that was that until I got an email breaking down their billing. They charged my old subscription as a "past due" bill of $119, applied a credit of $85 bucks or something like that, threw in a two month trial of XM Select that expired mid February and then would charge me again when my new 6 month Music Only subscription began at that time. Huh? It seems they were trying to recoup the month they extended to me while I decided to renew, gave me a bogus amount of what the Music Only "might" cost in February cushioning the deal with a 2 month trial period of the subscription that I had just decided not to renew! I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I got screwed.

When I called to have them explain all of this confusing billing to me, not one, not two but THREE "specialists" couldn't break it down. The conversation went in circles. I finally ended up canceling the service altogether. It was a well deserved bowel movement as far as I'm concerned. I'm so done with these people. I plan to stream Pandora or figure something else out but this is the last time I go back to Sirius radio. I'm over it. I need to add as well that they refunded and reversed all of that they had put on my card. Good call Sirius. I'm now looking at you through my rear view mirror.

I accepted a special offer from Sirius that was for 6 mos. I was never told that my account would be automatically renewed. I never got any type of notification that the account would be renewed and at a much higher rate. Looking over old credit card statements, I was shocked to see a charge from Sirius. Fortunately, the credit card I used was cancelled, so they could not charge me again. I then got a call that I owed money. I explained that I never agreed to auto renewal and was never told it would occur. The agent said he would take care of it.

Then I get another call a week later wanting the balance due. I had to repeat the story again. This person couldn't do anything about it and referred me to someone else. I had to repeat the story again. Again, this person couldn't do anything about it and referred me the supervisor. Again, I had to repeat the story. Finally, I got satisfaction and the account was closed and I did not have to pay the balance. Thank goodness my credit card had expired. I don't even listen to Sirius as I listen to books in my car. If I want to listen to music, I can use my Amazon prime.

I purchased a home receiver / Portable speaker dock / Unlimited access to receive primarily ch 130 EWTN and 3 others. After install and readout screen said channel was not available, 2 customer service sessions later resetting with all instructions the customer service stated it was internet only. Not happy.

I received a bill 6 days after the renewal due date. They renewed my account without asking if I wanted to renew. They want you to add a credit card to your account so they can take the payment without your permission ($218). I'm glad I refused to give them my credit card #. They can't send you an email about your bill unless you have a credit card on file, but they will send you a concert notice everyday.

This is my first review and I am so dissatisfied with Sirius I thought others needed to be warned. I closed my account 2 months ago and yesterday they withdrew 500.00 from my account without authorization. They were unable to give me a satisfactory answer on how or why this happened. They said someone else had used my account number. I feel it was an inside job. They said they were sorry and would refund the money but I would be careful on letting them have access to your checking account.

After several years of having an account with XM radio, my wife and I ended the relationship after several billing issues including billing multiple cards, disruptions in service, and changes to the account. We ended our XM account in 2013. Since then we have had nothing but issues. Today, for the second time in three years, we get a charge to our card for nearly $500 from SiriusXM. We called and they don't show that they billed us at all and we would have to dispute it with our credit card company. This is the most disreputable company I have ever worked with and will never use their service again.

You literally have to call this company every few months to negotiate rates. And even then only after you cancel can you get improvements. Don't start a conversation with them in a nice, curious-about-rates kind of way. It'll get you nowhere. Not until you are so mad that you are willing to hear them say they have actually canceled your service will the doors to improved rates/plans open up. I'm not interested in that kind or relationship for radio. I liked 2 channels on their radio that catered to my non-mainstream tastes, but so many other offerings exist for someone who has unlimited data on their phone (like I do).

I was a customer for 11 of the 14 years Sirius has been on the air and today I finally actually canceled. It only took me 2 hours to iterate through levels of customer service people to finally get to the point where I canceled a lesser used account just to make a point, even then I didn't want to. Immediately that account was available to reactivate within my range of acceptable rates. I asked about the other 2 accounts. Nothing useful was available for them.

The rep would answer any question I had by referencing the closed account's better-than-I-demanded pricing opportunities, clearly guiding me to cancel and resubscribe on all of the accounts. I wonder if they are even rewarded based on how many canceled customers they are able to immediately bring back on. It's probably a screwed up rewards system like Wells Fargo had with opening accounts. I canceled all account on pure principal. I'm done with them. I even asked the rep to opt me out of all future emails, so any postmortem offerings will be avoided and their relationship-less tactics won't be rewarded with my willingness to even open an email. After being a customer for 11 of their 14 years in existence, I'll never torture myself like that again for something so replaceable.

I have been very dissatisfied with this company for years. I have found the sales reps are very misleading in their communication. For example I was told listening to SiriusXM via an app on my phone was included in my plan. However, a few months later when I decided to give the app a try I discovered through another customer service representative that this app is NOT included with my yearly bill, even though I was told otherwise after having paid for the year in full for two different vehicles. I have called their customer service and complained a few times only to have the representative and their supervisors argue with me. It seems rather evident that this company does not believe in customer loyalty or customer service. Customers are just a number to them and they are indifferent if they lose your business.

I refuse to be nickel and dimed to death by SiriusXM. I have been a subscriber for many years and it's outrageous. They have the audacity to not only lie about the app being included in the exorbitant rates they then require I pay more just to listen to the app which I was previously told was included. Get real, SiriusXM! How about treating your loyal customers with some respect? It would seem SiriusXM would be well served to invest in some real customer service reps and become a company that values its customers enough to treat them with honesty and respect and give them correct, timely information from trained competent representatives.

My whole experience would have been a positive one if someone had taken the time to really listen to what I was saying and at least pretend to find a solution to accommodate my needs and address my concerns. Shame on you SiriusXM. At the very least, act like you care enough to make an effort by being accommodating and stop arguing with your customers! The service isn't worth what you pay for. You're better off with a Free account with one of the following apps Spotify, Pandora Radio or iHeartRadio connect with your car's Bluetooth and you could even upgrade to a paid account for a fraction of the cost of SiriusXM.

I know I am just adding to a litany of complaints, but after being a customer of XM for several years I became tired of the game, "call us to cancel" every year. I simply asked customer service, and I use the term loosely, that I would like an offer that did not include the automatic renewal. They said that was not available, no attempt to work with me at all. So XM loses two more radio accounts. What a strange business plan that would turn down a customer, and one of several years and would be comfortable with no money. This may be a case history in Business Schools soon about how to lose business.

I have to say that this is the first negative review I have placed on a company or service on a website ever over my career. I want to begin by saying the best thing that has come out of my nearly 2 year struggle with the billing from XM, by which, I have had the services for probably over 7+ years is that I finally even convinced my wife that we don't need the service. That in itself is a major win. Good thing, when she writes you off, it is done. She loves to give folks thousand of chances saying they are well intended. This was extremely helpful as I rarely listen to the radio as I generally am on my hands-free phone for business.

In brief, they had some challenges over several years of ever getting three different cars on the same cycle and charges. The only way I knew to do this after literally a dozen or more calls with customer service was to allow each of the accounts to expire to get re-established. I thought we had a plan, I had cancelled or was reassured that my auto-renew policies for the first of three cars was established and those 2 cars would terminate. The other car had 4 months remaining. Like I have read from many others, the sales individuals who probably work on some sort of commission, did not want to lose that connectivity from the first 2 cars. They probably have great knowledge and stats showing that some percentage of those folks find out they can function without the satellite radio.

Last point, before I get to my real issue of why this is my first negative written review I have made over my 50 years, is that I recall on many of my calls with them stated they would be recording our calls for future references and training purposes. Apparently, that only works when it is their benefit and not when it pertains to cancelling services or discontinuing the auto renew membership. Funny how that works and they have no records of that when I had names and dates of who I spoke to!

In closing, I was sent to collections from XM Radio after many calls and being reassured that they converted our three cars to one plan with a significant discount but unfortunately leaving out the point that they sent us to collections for roughly $70 due to past due amounts due to old balances that they couldn't even explain. The reason I am writing this review is that this is the first time I have ever been sent to collections for any fee, yes first time ever, and it pushed me to write a review just for my own conscience.

The $70 was not even the issue, the fact that I was sent to collections and the time I wasted over the past year trying to reconcile this so that my wife could listen to one Christian channel was the issue. The best outcome of this whole mess is that she is back to listening to Way FM or Pandora and it works just fine! It made it all worthwhile for me.

As a CEO/President with a 15,000+ team member organization, I can now get back to my work. I will be sure to share my negative experience when appropriate. I understand the challenges of billing practices as I deal with it daily but I don't ever recall ever crossing the line of ethics in sharing inaccurate information that resulted in someone going to collections. I wish I could send them a bill for time I spent trying to resolve these challenges as it might be a few dollars more than the $70 that I sent to the agency!

Again, best part was listening to my wife inform the gentleman the other day asking about our termination of the service and her stating that she could never do business with them again! That was music to my ears! Hopefully, this will be the last review that I will ever write as we are all human and make mistakes but hopefully ethical ones!

I typically do not write reviews and am choosing to write this one because of the appallingly frustrating service that Sirius XM's customer service provides when it comes to disputing charges and canceling service. I have had Sirius XM since 2012 and finally canceled the service this past year. I chose to cancel because 1) They automatically spike your rates after a 12-month subscription. 2) When you call to cancel they keep you on the phone for 30-60 minutes trying to talk you out of it and employ tactics like transferring you from one department to another so you have to re-explain yourself over and over. 3) I recently was told by a customer service representative that my credit card account would be refunded for a charge I disputed. 2 weeks later I checked and not only had the refund not been refunded but I now had a late payment fee on my cc account due to this.

Overall I am convinced that Sirius XM trains its customer service staff on the most irritating and time-consuming communication tactics so that you spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone with them, are inclined to give up on canceling because of how difficult it is, and they do not fully inform you of their refund policies, automatic renewal policies, or any policies period so you HAVE to call in if you happen to notice charges etc... that you were not aware of, and then you spend forever on the phone with them in order to get what should have been a simple explanation and remedy.

Anyway, my bottom line is that I actually think Sirius XM is ok and enjoy using it, but because of the horrid customer service, and my recent experiences with them charging my account without my authorization, and then failing to refund me in the method and time that I was told I would be refunded I will not be using this service again.

We subscribed to XM, then SiriusXM radio for at least ten years. Finally yesterday I realized that we were being ripped off. For about $20 a month we can only listen in our car, which we rarely drive anymore, since we retired a few years ago, and the channels we listen to (mostly the comedy ones) are rife with obnoxious commercials and, even worse, talk show programs! Plus, they aren't "24-hour stations" as advertised, since some of them shut down at weird hours, like on the weekends.

The Broadway channel is the only other one we listen to and Seth Rudetsky is simply obnoxious. Talks too fast and the worst diction in the history of radio. So that station became a mostly no-go, even though Christine Pedi is mostly okay. Meanwhile, we've been listening to Pandora (commercial-free for $5 a month!) anywhere we like, in the car, house, on our iPads and iPhones. Comedy without commercials. Broadway without invasive chatter. Nice. SiriusXM Radio is a major rip-off!

I had Sirius Radio with my new car for 6 months and then had to make a decision to cancel or renew. I realized soon that the website forces its subscribers to call in to cancel and there was no way around it. When I called in I soon realized that the representatives will do everything in their power to keep you as a customer by offering you lower rates and asking endless questions about what you like and don't like about the service. After going through this process once and caving in to renew, I realized when another 6 months came up, I would have to go through the entire process again. The website still didn't have an option to cancel like most other companies.

This itself is the worst customer service tactic that turns me off completely and causes me to never use that company again. Making it difficult for consumers to leave your service is NOT customer service. I called in again and this time had to lie about leaving the country in order to get my service cancelled. Even when I said I was moving they still kept asking me questions about my satisfaction with the service and if they could offer me a discount.

Out of complete frustration I had to raise my voice and sternly ask the rep to stop asking me questions and to just cancel my service. I even shared with her that I wasn't happy with the way they make it so difficult for a consumer to leave. Because of this type of dirty tactics I won't be using their service ever again. It's that simple. So be warned if you use their service, unless you want to keep it forever and don't care about the hassle of bad service use another means of listening to your favorite talk shows or music channels.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio Company Profile