3.9/5 (234 ratings)

About Sceptre TV

Sceptre TV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sceptre TV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sceptre TV?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I will never purchase another tv from Sceptre again. I ordered the 75” from Walmart and the picture blew less than 30 days after plugging it in. After filing for the warranty that tried to claim that it was hit which it wasn’t. Myself along with many of my family members all heard a noise coming from it and something inside of the screen popped and caused the pic to go out. Sceptre does not stand by their products at all.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Still paying off my 75 inch Sceptre TV and it went out! Screen is completely blacked out and won’t turn on. What a scam. Oh and it only had a 1 year warranty and of course it goes out as it expires. What a joke.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I bought a Sceptre TV, 55 inch, LED HD TV, 14 months ago. I was very impressed with the picture and quality. But the TV broke only after 14 months. I contacted the company and told them what had happened. They told me that their warranty was only good for 12 months, and there is nothing I could do. So, Sceptre products only last a little over a year, and the company does not stand behind its products. Do yourself a favor and buy another brand that will last longer than 14 months.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I purchased a 55in from Walmart. It lasted for 3 years; however, we didn’t use it daily. We tried to have a movie night as a family Christmas Eve and it went black just as we were starting and never came back on.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Our daughter bought us this tv and within 30 days it stopped working. Took it to the manufacturer and they swapped it out for another tv. Not realizing that this company would give us another nonworking tv, we didn’t take it out of the box until we moved to our new home 5 months later. We just unboxed it and turned it on. And within 2 min it shut off and it won’t turn back on. I feel bad for my daughter because she spent her money buying the worst tv I’ve ever seen.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I purchased a SCEPTRE 43" from Walmart.com on 11/23/18 as a Black Friday deal. I did like the fact that my order was shipped to my my store in Hood River, OR. That store number is 0186. My order number is **. The name on the order is Sherrie **. Because the Hood River store does not carry the SCEPTRE brand I couldn't see it in person until it was delivered. When I picked it up from the store the young lady checked a couple of spots on the box that had torn through. We determined that the tv was not damaged so I took possession of it. I got it home and read the set up pamphlet which was totally useless. Maybe this is the norm for a "cheap" tv. More information would have been helpful. The user’s manual on the Internet wasn't that helpful either. I had done research before I purchased the tv. There were a few that gave good reviews, some mediocre reviews, and some bad reviews.

There were numerous reviews that the screen was cracked upon delivery. When I took delivery of my tv the screen looked fine. The tv was not easy to set up, the sound was very tiny and the picture was orange. I tried to adjust the sound and had no luck. The remote wouldn't let me do anything. Then I was trying to hook up a cable to the back of the tv and I couldn't quite reach it so I moved the tv by grabbing the sides and as soon as I did the whole left side of the screen shattered. The picture also became a series of vertical lines. I suspect there was a tiny crack on the screen which caused the whole left side of the screen.

I emailed the Warranty Department along with pictures of the screen. I got a return email saying it was physical damage and would not be covered. However I was informed that I could package up the tv and send it back at my expense. If I had a defective tv why in the world would I want it repaired and sent back. It may have been my perception but the tone of the email was quite rude and no help at all.

SCEPTRE has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life and one of the poorest products ever made. I did ask for my purchase price of $169.99 and got no answer on that particular request. I did talk with three people at my Hood River Walmart just wanting them to know that Walmart.com was selling inferior products and what I believe are paid reviews. The three customer service people immediately began to solve my dilemma that was caused by SCEPTRE. They took back the inferior tv. I showed them the pictures and they were appalled.

I was pleasantly surprised they took back the crappy tv but I shouldn't be because the customer service has always gone above and beyond to take care of their customers’ needs no matter how small or large. I usually deal with Teresa at the customer service counter but it was her day off. She is one of the best. This day I dealt with Steve, Lynette, and Michelle the manager. I ended up walking out of my Walmart with a brand new Vizio smart tv. It is much sturdier, easy to set up, both sound and picture are exceptional. I will NEVER purchase a SCEPTRE product and neither will anyone I know. I have also spoken to Walmart about discontinuing carrying the SCEPTRE brand.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I purchased this crap approximately 6 months ago. Today 12/25/18 is the first time I unboxed this TV. I plugged it in with the plastic on. As soon as I took the tape which mind you was taped to the screen, the tape once powered up destroyed the screen all around the edge of the screen. From reading reviews I guess I will cut my losses. But like everyone else DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM Sceptre TV.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a 32in LED TV from Walmart for 99.00 during Black Friday in 2017. This TV was to replace an old TV that still worked. So I didn't opened it immediately. When I opened it, the TV came on but I couldn't get my digital channels to play. I tried numerous times to channel scan but no luck. I purchased a new antenna. I called Sceptre for support. The tech support told me it was the channel tuner. Sceptre sent me another one but it didn't work. Of course they told me to send it to them. Shame on Sceptre because it would cost me 67.00 to send a 99.00 TV back to them. If would do something so Stupid!!! They knew this would be a ridiculous problem. That's why they wouldn't pay for return. BUYER BEWARE... Please don't give as a gift without testing the TV first. Better yet purchase a TV from a place that won't ask you to send it somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We purchased a 32" Sceptre television with a built-in DVD player for our grandson's bedroom. Now, my husband is usually very tech savvy, but the set up was horrible, gave him so much trouble, it kept jumping back to the beginning step. After finally getting it set up, the television continually had a popping and snapping sound with the picture going snowy at every pop and snap. He finally got ahold of a service tech after several hours and the guy said it sounded like a power board issue and recommend that we take it back to Walmart. Probably the worst purchase we've made in a very long time. I would never recommend this brand. We've since bought an LG 32", plus a separate DVD player, and we're very happy with this purchase.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The television is several months beyond 1 year warranty after previous failure covered by one year warranty. The power just quit. Nothing. I tried different outlets without any luck. Customer support was very responsive but advise it was now beyond one year warranty. They offered instructions on how to purchase a new power board. $75 plus $15 shipping. Oh, and bring it to TV repair shop and have them replace the part. Terrible. Not even worth the money.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I guess you really get what you pay for. Picture is bad, sound is bad, TV defaults to SAP & will not go back to English. Worst of all they have the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. Was no help & rude about it. But what do they care, they got their money. It's too bad that there are still companies like this in existence.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Yellow looks brown on my TV. Tried to contact customer service via email, they literally replied with; "Based on the images you provided, the TV does appear to be performing normally." Thanks guys. Real helpful. I got mad and asked if they even read my message, they said they did which is why they asked for the images in the first place. 100% done with this company. Do not buy from them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I bought this tv for my kids room. They had a little small tv that I used when I was in college and I figured it was time for a slight upgrade. Purchased this tv in March 2018. By September 24th the tv is a dud! The issue is started around mid-July. The kiddos were enjoying Shimmer and Shine and the screen went blue. I was thinking wth?! So I'm trying all sort of things. I googled the issue and a few solutions pop up. None of the things other people tried worked. I did EVERYTHING imaginable sans opening the tv and trying to see if anything was loose. I went to the store, bought new hdmi cables, even had a friend come over and see if he could fix the problem. Nothing. Finally, about two hours later, we used a different cable (this was cable number 4 - and not the new one) and my friend pushed it in with a little force and bam - the tv magically starts to show the next cartoon that was on.

Fast forward to September. Same issue. I switched out cables, did a sacred tv start working dance, reset the tv, reset the cable box, a lot of the same old crap they tell you with customer service. This time, I was told that it was my satellite (Dish Network) box. I found this hard to believe. I know that Dish isn't always the best, but I have never had this issue, EVER. Dish was what my parents had when I was growing up and it's what I went with when I got my own house. I took the box that was attached to my kids tv and tried it on the three other tvs that we have in the house. As soon as the hdmi cable touch the box and tv, the picture play with no problems. I even brought out old college faithful to see if maybe, just maybe customer service was onto something by throwing the buck on DISH. Nope, old faithful sparked to life and though small, the picture and sound were crystal clear.

I want to add that I tried every component method available and NONE of them worked. Yep, every last component port failed to rendered any sort of sound or picture. I hopped online and filed with the warranty service. They said, "Here's a shipping label, send it to us and we will look at it." Took about three days for FedEx to deliver to them. The tv was delivered to them that Friday and by the next Tuesday I get an email saying that have finished repairing and testing my unit and it is on the way back to me.

Friday, the tv is delivered. I get home and am ever so gentle with it. Guess what? Still no picture or sound. It doesn't recognize any of the hdmi cables, components outputs still don't work. Now I'm waiting on their response. This tv is crap and I won't recommend it to even my worst enemy. I would probably get a better connection by plugging the hdmi into a cardboard box! The price is tempting, but the headache is not worth it. Save up a few more dollars and get a better brand than this.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought a second Sceptre TV in 2013, after my first TV lost display and showed no video when powered on. The first TV only lasted 2 years. This second tv just lost display. When I contacted technical support, they said the repairs would cost more than a new tv. Their warranty is only good for one year after purchase. This company is aware of the display problems, yet has done nothing to fix the issue on their products. In my opinion, and after 2 tvs have gone bad with the SAME problem, I would say to avoid this product. It was quite affordable ($275), but not worth having to replace for the same problem.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have never been so frustrated with Walmart and their warranty company. My 39 in. Vizio TV sound went out after two years. I called the number provided on the paperwork to find out what to do. It was an act of God to get someone to help me. I packed up the Vizio. Sent it FEDEX. 4 or 5 days I get an email that the TV was damaged beyond repair. They will get in touch with me for replacement. The replacement was a Sceptre 43 in. It lasted less than a week. Sound quit working. Packed it up. Sent it FEDEX. This entire process has taken over 1 month. It will be two to three days before they replace it with a 39 in Vizio, just like my original. I was not impressed by the Sceptre. It was a piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Recently purchased a Sceptre TV and thought everything was going fine for the first 3 weeks. Then, out of the blue, the remote control started to not work. We would push the volume down button and the volume would go up. So we decided to push the volume up button and the volume still went up. Finally we were able to get the volume to go back down. The next night, the remote was on the table and I was about three feet away from it when the volume started turning down. The TV was turning the volume down on its own. Each day that went by, it did it more and more. I took the batteries out of the remote control thinking that it was a faulty remote. It turns out the TV itself, was turning down the volume and not the remote control.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I purchased this 32" LED TV 3 years ago and currently has two lines running through it. The tv still has the plastic and energy guide still around it and for some reason it is still going out. Be careful in buying this product. The warranty only lasted a year.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I bought my 40" Sceptre TV through Walmart in 2012. Delivery was great and arrived with no problems. In the 6 years I've owned it there has never been a problem. It died last night and I'm sad, but I only paid $175.00 for it so I certainly can't complain. I loved my Sceptre! Time to start shopping again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I purchased a 50” Sceptre TV for my mother 6 years ago. She literally has it on at least 10 hours daily. During that time, the TV has performed flawlessly! I also purchased two other Sceptre TV’s for myself; one for the living room and another for my bedroom. No issues whatsoever. There was a point when I decided to “upgrade” to a Sony 65” 4k. The price was $1600... three times the cost. Quite honestly, I was very disappointed. The picture quality was just a slight improvement and the remote was VERY slow to respond. I gladly returned it to Best Buy.

Round two: I tried out the highly rated TCL ROKU 4K 55”... Although it did have some very nice features, the screen had “grey areas” in all 4 corners. After doing some research, I discovered that other consumers had the same issue. So back to Best Buy it went. Round three: I just purchased the well reviewed Sceptre 4k curved tv. It is expected to be delivered today. The price was $379.00 at Walmart. If past experience with my other Sceptre TV's is on track, I am quite sure this one will be a “keeper”. I will update this post once I have it hooked up.

Original review: June 23, 2018

This CS person was extremely nasty, condescending, insulting and had me to a point where I wanted to throw my phone. The shame of it all was that he did finally solve the problem. But the experience resulted in my dedication to never again buy a Sceptre product. This guy should be fired. A true pedantic **!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I bought Sceptre E249BV-SR 720p LED TV 24" from Amazon for my camper. By the time I went camping and got the TV out of the box and install it was a couple of weeks past the return cutoff. I couldn't get it to work in the camper. All I could get was a blue screen and a message "No signal". I thought maybe it was the campers antenna. I disassembled and took it home and tried it on my Dish network with the exact same results. Been trying to contact Amazon and Sceptre without any luck. All I want is my $90.00 back! Looks like I'm stuck with a piece of junk.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I'm back to buy another Sceptre TV. We use these TVs for various purposes but mostly digital signage at an aluminum extrusion plant where the environment is harsh on a good day. I have eight in service and am ordering another today. We have replaced 4, but three were damaged by moving equipment and one was installed too close to a metal saw and suffered damage from aluminum chip ingestion. Another also arrived with damage in transit and never worked due to a cracked screen. These are the most affordable TVs available on a consistent basis and while you can find a better picture for twice the price, you can also spend much more and get less of a picture. Overall my experience has been stellar with these TVs.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I had trouble deciding whether to give it 1 star or two. Very cheap 50" 4K TV from Walmart made by Sceptre. Here's the dilemma. The original set lasted just over three months which means Walmart washes their hands off the whole deal. However, the Sceptre service people were courteous but have only one service center in City of Industry, California. So I had them send a box and packing to me, got an RMA, packed the box as required, brought it to FEDEX and sent via pre-paid shipping to CA.

Within a few days they notified me that the set was damaged in transit and they were sending a brand new set which I received in Everett, MA in 7 days. I set up the set and has a great picture. It lasted one day and I had to repeat the process with the RMA, I had the original box and packing, and sent via FEDEX again. Once again, the service department let me know the TV was damaged by FEDEX and they were putting in a claim to FEDEX and sending me a new TV. I expect the set in about 4 days. It is already in transit. So I give them 2 stars for three months of an excellent picture and prompt, although clumsy, service. It remains to be seen whether the third failure will be paid for by FEDEX when the new set is returned. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My Sceptre TV stopped working 9 months after I got it. I contacted Sceptre since the tv was still under the manufacturer's one-year warranty and have had literally the worst customer experience since. This is my second time returning the tv. I was without a television from February 19 - March 22 the first time I returned it. Sceptre has now had my tv for 8 business days. I was reassured that if the tv didn't work after they returned it the first time they would swap it out right away. No such luck. Detailed timeline below. April 30, 2017: Purchased from Amazon. January 2018: Began experiencing issues. Issues became more frequent and for longer duration. Started return process by call Sceptre and sending pictures and other information via email.

Monday, February 19: Shipped back to Sceptre. Thursday, February 22: Received by Sceptre. Wednesday, February 28: Heard nothing after delivery so sent a follow up email. Exchanged emails where Sceptre stated that they were testing the tv. I replied please do not return without fixing. Saturday, March 3: Followed up with an email asking for an update. Monday, March 5: Received email that TV was being shipped back. Called to confirm the tv had been fixed. Was told they could not duplicate the issues, which I had sent several photos of on many different occasions, so they are sending back the tv without fixing it. Exchanged emails after phone call inquiring why they would not replace the part they knew would cause the problem I photographed without an answer.

Thursday, March 8: Received email that tv shipped. Friday, March 9: Emailed to confirm that was the same tv I was told processed for shipping on Monday. Wednesday, March 14: Received same tv but it is now missing a piece to the base. Thursday, March 15: Spoke with manager named Son. Was told to test the tv laying flat on the ground and that if it worked there was something in my home that was making the tv not work. A tv that does not work standing up is of no use to me. Thursday, March 22: Received base.

Wednesday, April 25: Sent email with photos of tv having same issue again. Was provided shipping label to return. Thursday, May 3: TV arrived at Sceptre. Sunday, May 14: Emailed Sceptre for an update. Monday, May 15: Was told that the tv was delivered and was provided the tracking number for the broken tv they shipped me back in March. Replied to email including tracking details for all shipments so far.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased a 55" Sceptre LED television on May 5th, 2016. I ordered it offline so by the time I received it and had it up and running, this television was being used in my home for exactly 2 years literally to date. My home is not a big television home, it gets turned on probably only 2 maybe 3 times a week. So the extent this television was used over a 2 year period was minimal, at best. Less than a year in (December after purchase) the remote went. But it wasn't simple as far as finding what was wrong. It was the picture of whatever you were watching would freeze up for a few seconds and it would just do it. Over and over.

I attempted to contact Sceptre then, of course not something they could help me with and it wasn't falling under their warranty and I was continuously told to contact my cable company. I was sitting on the floor with the remote next me and saw the freeze button on there and instantly took the batteries out of the remote, stuck it in the closet and it was fine. (But my cable company was supposed to fix this issue?) Again, because we don't watch tv often not having the remote to the actual tv wasn't really detrimental to us, we just manually would turn the tv on/off and switch up the hdmi or cable buttons from the side. Today, my daughter comments the television isn't turning on. I tried different outlets and leaving it unplugged for a bit, nothing. Television is completely dead.

I call Sceptre, tech support tells me to take it to a local shop and have them replace the power board. Mind you, I was barely finished speaking about my issue before he told me what to do, which just reinforces the horrible television. I asked to be transferred to customer service, she tells me at my expense I can ship the tv to them to have it fixed but I pay for shipping to & from as well as the repairs… She said it was outside the 1 year manufacture warranty. I understand that, but 2 years and the tv is fried? It’s been moved once, from one side of the room to the other, turned on and off less than 4 x's a week and you are producing such a poor quality product that you can't even offer any type of deal with the repairs?

Plus the tech support gentleman was just short and had a bit of an attitude. After the fact I saw the reviews people were leaving, I should have checked that first. There is no reason for a tv like this to only have a 2 year shelf life. Don't waste your money, from a cost effective perspective, I should have spent an extra $200-$300 on the television and I'd be in a position now that I still had a working tv and not have to worry about putting that kind of money out again so soon.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Received for BD 2 yrs ago from my son. Was watching ION and bam the screen went black. 32" TV came with only 1 yr warranty so that should tell you something. It is a piece of cheap parts, must have got them from China. The company should close its doors.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I got this TV a few years ago new. Used it about 2 months on cable and then moved it downstairs to use on an antenna. This set is the very worst TV I have ever owned for keeping the OTA channels. I have complained to the company a dozen times or more and all they tell me is this is the design. Come on now. You program a TV for channels and when you turn it off or a station happens to go off the air for any reason the TV should not lose the stations preset into it. This is just not normal. The company says it is. So the only way around this is to install a digital receiver. And then set the TV to channel 3. It seems to keep that channel ok. Today I reset the channels 4 times because it just would not keep the station. The station was having issues and my TV was dropping the channel from the saved channels I programmed into it. If you have a choice never ever get one of these poor excuses of a TV. They are junk and the company will not help you out.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Purchased a 32" Sceptre TV, unboxed, hooked everything up properly. No picture/sound right out of the box. After further review online I find hundreds of people with the same problem. Why would Wal-Mart still sell this faulty brand? And shame on Sceptre for using inferior electronics to make a few extra bucks. My advice would be steer clear of this brand of television or anything else they make in fact!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I own several TVs. Samsung, TCL, Vizio, ProScan, and Sceptre. Sure Sceptre are low end, but I've owned 3 of them and have had no problems at all. It will never match my Samsung, but it's a lot less too. And if something does go wrong you can return it to Walmart. They do take returns on this TV, so don't believe what others may say.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Greatest investment I have ever made. Picture it, 2:30 A.M. a warm spring night, I was enjoying a glass of fine wine and watching Masterpiece theater. There was a nice breeze from the screen door, when all of a sudden seven gang banger burst in to the room. I sprang from my recliner and ninja rolled behind my Sceptre 55" UHD TV. As the bullets flow, I was able to retrieve my AK-47, which I keep for just such an occasion. When I sprang forth with cat like reflexes to quickly dispatch the intruders I noticed the bullets were actually ricocheting off my fine Sceptre 55" UHD TV.

But truly TV die in record time. We only used it for playing video games and since it was the biggest TV we had never left it on for long periods of time. When I brought It back to Wal-Mart the women was very helpful, and let me know they have had a lot of problems the whole Sceptre line of TV's. Thing's a piece of crap. Run run run.

Sceptre TV Company Information