2.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

746 RCA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I thought I was getting a good deal when I bought a 55 inch RCA TV from Best Buy two and a half years ago. Yes it was cheap at $350, but I thought it would still last more than 2.5 years! I woke up this morning and when I tried to turn on the TV it wouldn't turn on. I have since read RCA TVs are notorious for all kinds of problems (which I figured since this TV was so cheap, but still expected it to last at least 5 years). Save your money and spring for a better TV.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Had issues with screen cracking. Sent it in 4 time, they never kept up with records. Not my problems, so then I got it back the fourth time there was a security code on it. Never put it on mine, then there was a scratch on it, never did that, always had a case. So now they don't wanna fix it. I'm like OK, I will never buy anything from this company. I'll let the world know not to either. Their all around company sucks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I've been looking for ways to reduce expenses and started researching Smart Televisions. I found the RCA LRK40G445RQ 40" 1080p 60hz LED HDTV with Roku Streaming (pre-installed Roku player 3400X) series television and purchased this one (and later a 32") from Walmart. When I learned the ROKU stick was 'pre-installed', I thought, Great! No set-top boxes to clutter up the room. Big Mistake. I want to warn potential customers not to buy any television with a pre-installed ROKU stick. Even though I purchased two of these televisions, a 40" and a 32" (because of the price point) I have since learned a very important fact I want to share with everyone. First, understand that a Smart TV the same as a computer or cell phone. New technology brings advancements with these products. If you own a smartphone, you know it's best to get a new phone every year to enjoy the latest upgrades. Smart TVs are the same.

The ROKU stick in my televisions is 'outdated', even though I purchased them less than three years ago. First, don't buy any television with a pre-installed ROKU stick. As new ROKU players become available, you are stuck with a television that cannot be updated to the latest version of the ROKU product. I learned this the hard way and hope my experience helps you understand more about Smart TVs. At first, I enjoyed saving money by cutting the cable and only paying for internet and Wi-Fi. The ROKU feature has many free channels that are 'average' but to enjoy watching movies and network programming, you need to purchase add-on subscriptions. I added Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and CBS All Access. I don't mind having regular channels and have enjoyed the add-on subscriptions.

Another problem is CBS All Access stopped working this year. After calling customer service repeatedly, I've been told they are having technical difficulties with 'older Roku versions' such as mine. What? My RCA TVs were purchased in 2015 & 2016. While CBS All Access customer service has been quite cooperative, I am unable to watch the 'regular' channel I most enjoy. They say they are working on the problem and hope to resolve this issue. Next, I wanted to try the new DIRECTV app and learned it is not available with ROKU. I'm trying to contact RCA directly to file a complaint. In my opinion, RCA should never have manufactured these televisions. The 'average' customer who can't afford an expensive television also can't afford to buy a new television every few years to stay current with the 'new technology'.

Please do not buy any televisions with pre-installed Roku sticks. As technology improves, the stick you are 'stuck with' cannot be updated and the television is basically worthless if you want to watch new programming. I have no problems with the other subscribed providers and no interruption streaming media. This is a three-fold issue. One being RCA, the second with add-on providers that you can't use with Roku, and the third Roku. I sincerely hope I've helped you prior to purchasing a Smart TV. Be a 'Smart' customer and do your homework prior to making a purchase. Remember the good old days? I had an RCA television that worked perfectly for over 20 years. Things are not the same these days. Smart shopping!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Replacement of DVD player - I purchased a portable DVD player for my grandson for his birthday in February for his birthday to use to travel to Disney World. We had some trouble with it, it would say no disc or disc unknown when you had a disc in it. It would work some. We went to use it a second time and it would say no disc or disc unknown. The second time, it never worked at all. I contacted RCA and got no response back. I am very unhappy with this product and definitely did not get my money out of it. It's not a product that you use daily, so you would think it should work. I still have not gotten a response from RCA. I recommend that no one should purchase this product, we are very disappointed and so is my grandson.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Below is an email I wrote to RCA to deal with my problem: "I recently contacted your support center about an issue with my TV and it was determined that the TV needed to be repaired. All of the service centers the rep. on the phone listed for BC were more than 4 hours driving distance from my location. The rep. then tried to argue with me saying that the Prince George service center was only an hour from me. I looked it up on Google to demonstrate the distance and informed him that it was over 750 KMs from my location. He then suggested I ship the TV out to the Ontario warehouse for it to be repaired and shipped back to me. When I informed him the shipping would be worth more than the TV he said, "that since I was unwilling to take it to a service center" that I send you an email. I called the service line back and asked to speak with a supervisor to escalate the call and hopefully find a better option.

I suggested having the local TV repair center fix the TV and have me reimbursed for its cost. This was denied and the "supervisor" told me to send an email. I've attached pictures of the information on the back of the TV along with the receipt and the front of the TV itself. To be honest I'm quite disappointed with the level of customer service I have received thus far. In this digital age I'm dumbfounded that an international company would have policies in place that prevent timely cost effective solutions. Much less not have someone that can be reached by phone to deal with these less straightforward situations. The above description of events does not include the time I spent on hold, which was beyond reasonable. Nonetheless I am writing this email to hopefully find a way for me to have a working television in a timely, cost effective manner. Please respond and inform me how this is to be dealt with."

They replied with the same information about the service centers I was informed about on the phone. In my online research I found that RCA is a brand owned and operated by Curtis International Ltd. They have the same support phone number listed on the sites of their other brands, they are; Curtis, RCA, IGLOO, SYLVANIA, and PROSCAN. There are probably 2 people at the end of that phone answering questions with prepared responses out of a book. I took my TV to my local repair shop and the technician there told me there was a problem with the circuit board and that he couldn't source ANY circuit boards for that TV. Never again with I ever purchase an RCA product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RCA?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Bottom-line... NEVER, EVER buy an RCA product! Don't even THINK about buying an RCA product! Bought an RCA 24" LED, DVD Combo unit in January 2016. DVD mechanism started acting up within 90 days. Worked with Sears Tech Service via phone for 6 months, even bought a cleaning disc. Sears finally said the unit was defective and needed to be returned to RCA for replacement. They gave me a contact number which was never answered... There was only a recorded message that all reps are busy and to send an email. Kept calling at various hours (even the middle of the night) and sent a dozen emails.

Finally, after 3 months, I received an email back apologizing for the delay and asking for more info. I sent the info and another dozen or so emails but never heard back from them. We were scheduled to leave the US for hurricane relief work in the Bahamas so we just bought another TV (Vizio) right before we left the US. When we came back I was told to contact our State Consumer Affairs department. Which I did. Lucky me... I'm over the hill so we were immediately put in the 'seniors vs crime' division. So now, the State of Florida is dogging them.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Purchased a RCA air cond. unit less than a year ago. Stop working and was blowing out warm air after 5 months of use. Contacted RCA customer service (which I had a hard time Googling phone#) which they told me to call Curtis International who is their warranty dept. Called, emailed, letters, everything and just giving me the runaround. They want merchant where I purchased it from to cover it and merchant denied and I still can't get a repair or refund. Won't let me speak to a manager or supervisor. Won't respond back to any of my messages. HORRIBLE. Won't ever buy another RCA product again. NEVER. NEVER. EVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 1, 2017

For the size that I have it is perfect for me as I watch a lot of sports and I want clarity to be clear. Too much bigger would be out of my league for the price. Most of all have had great experience in customer satisfaction.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Buying RCA tv gave me what I wanted. The tv is great. What needs to be fixed is the programming because I'm paying way too much money for reruns and infomercials.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I bought this flat screen in 2008 on sale at Walmart & it had a DVD player built in. The color, sound, pic & DVD player work like they did the day I bought it. I moved 6 times & that TV has traveled the east coast. I love it. It has a 19" screen. When I couldn't afford cable, I had the TV search channels with no antenna & I was able to get 12. I don't know how but I was happy because I can't live without my TV.

Original review: May 25, 2017

RCA is just an average 55" LED flat screen with minimal features that performs well and is a great value. The picture and colors are quite good. Sound is ok but there is some motion blur. Also, the remote is junk so I don't use it. The sound and picture are not totally synchronized but I no longer notice it. If you're shopping just for price then it's a good choice but I recommend checking out Best Buy's house brand as it's even cheaper and may be a better choice and you can buy it at the store rather than online as I did.

Original review: May 24, 2017

For the price that I paid I feel that the T.V. Does what it should. The sound quality is not very good so I had to go out and get a sound bar.

Original review: May 21, 2017

My tv is 55 inch screen for around $550 dollars. Owned approx 6 years with no problems. It is not a Smart TV but the high def picture is just fine with us. We have never purchased the newest technology in television due to the ridiculously high prices attached to the current models.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I have used RCA for years now and I have always been pleased with their products. You can't go wrong with RCA. They last a long time. I have had mine for years now and it's still going strong.

Original review: May 19, 2017

The television was easy to assemble, has a great picture and many great features. For the price, this 46" RCA television was a great purchase.

Original review: May 18, 2017

RCA is a very good TV. It always has the very best, most realistic color of them all. The only thing was this time we did have to have a switch replaced after about a little over a year that cost little over hundred dollars but still RCA is the best TV of all. It has always been my top favorite in all areas especially quality.

Original review: April 23, 2017

I purchased a LED TV Model Number LED46C45RQ Serial Number # 5501-LE46C45-H402354 on 06/03/2015. Couple months later I started to have problems with the sound. The TV volume would completely got out every time I was watching TV. I called the company. They sent someone to fix it but now 20 months later the TV won't turn on and unfortunately the warranty has expired and there nothing I can do but to get a new TV. My advice to the General Public out there is to do your research before you decided to purchase something and read the reviews because if you don't you are to be in the same situation that I ran into and just wasted your investment. So if you are going to invest in something that is worth it and please be careful with RCA products.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I bought this tv (32" Led TV Model RLDED3258A-E) in less than 2 years ago as a second tv. It was used very infrequently. After 19 months it wouldn't turn on. First, it took me quite a while to find out that Curtis International looks after this particular RCA tv. I returned to the store where I purchased it and was told this tv is one of the most returned and that I should have read reviews. I did not get the extended warranty for 2 years. I sent an email to Curtis explaining situation and was told that as a courtesy they would possibly cover the cost of the parts but I would have to take it to a dealer for an estimate. I called an authorized dealer and would told the estimate costs $50.00 plus HST and there is a minimum $150.00 tv repair charge thereafter. I bought tv for $248.00 total. I then took tv to a shop and it cost me $70.00 for part and repairs. So before you buy look at reviews. If you decide to buy this particular tv get the extended warranty.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I bought this 45" LCD HD 1080p television at K-mart's 6 years ago for $250. It has held a fabulous high def quality picture since day 1. It has all the audio/game & more ports on the back of it. The swivel base makes it easy to adjust the screen position if I'm in a different area of the room and can't see the screen. Very easy to hook up to a Roku and the internet through a wireless router which is what I use. It's also very decently weighted to move around if you chose to. Power saving mode is also nice in the event you fall asleep or forget to turn it off. Overall I am very pleased with this television.

Original review: March 12, 2017

For the price I believe I got a great deal on a very good product. Easy set-up and easy connect to cable. Really like the options on my RCA tv set. I would buy another one. I have, and will continue, to recommend this product.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I've had my RCA t.v. since 1997, purchased at a pawn shop and it has NEVER given me ANY trouble whatsoever in any way. Because of the sterling performance of the RCA brand, I'd gladly continue buying this product.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I love my RCA tv because it's a smart. I have Netflix and YouTube right in front of me without having to get on my computer. 65in HD screen is perfect for my football games. I've had it for over a year and have no issues with it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

We contacted RCA for warranty on our TV. They said to send it in by FedEx to their repair shop in Winnipeg. They stated it would take 4-8 business DAYS to look at the TV and contact us with their findings. After I sent emails and made phone calls we finally got an answer and now it is 6 WEEKS later and we still do not have our TV back. Very frustrating experience. Also to find info online about RCA is very limited.

I want to contact BBB as well. Can't believe how they promise a short turn around and then once they have the unit they have no urgency to contact us and let us know what is going on. Very unprofessional. I shouldn't have to be the one to call and email and wait and wait. The customer service should be truthful in the time they tell customers. We have purchased other RCA products and have been happy with them. However we have not had to use warranty and now will not be purchasing anything else from RCA in the future.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have purchased 4 RCA digital converter boxes and they have all had the same issue! The sound continually cuts off!!! I did not purchase the RCA boxes by choice but because they were the only boxes available. I cannot be the only consumer that has experienced this defect/issue!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I haven't been able to get through to customer service for months. Then when I final got a hold of them they hung up in my face after waiting on hold for about 15 minutes. I was not rude or disrespectful to deserve this treatment. I just called an alternate # that they gave me while trying to call the correct # for RCA tablets. So very unprofessional & hurtful. I'm just try to get my daughter's RCA tablet working for her to do school work & to have some fun. I think that after waiting while it didn't work for the past few months the least they can do is make it possible to get in contact with so that I can troubleshoot the issue. She had one before this that was also poorly made & broke on her after a few weeks.

They are a waste of money & most importantly TIME. I will never purchase another product (no matter what kind, appliances, tv's, or computer products.) I will stay away from this brand for the rest of my life & don't suggest it to anyone. They take your money & after that I cannot contact them, I have been hung up on & haven't had a working device from them for the past year as the tablets have laid not working on a shelf instead of being a source of research & fun for my child. I have never been so disappointed in a product. I wish that someone would have taken the time to inform me of how terrible their service is & how terrible the product works. Took my money & hung up on me the minute I actually found a human being to speak to.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have been trying since October 2016 to get the soundboard replaced on my RCA Smart TV, with DVD player, that I purchased from Walmart. A tech came out the first part of November and ordered a board because I had no sound. Beautiful picture, but no sound. Sears is doing the warranty work according to RCA, but they aren't. I have had three canceled appointments because the part is constantly on back order. One time it was sent to New Hampshire. I live in Houston! I just called again because the part was supposed to be in on 1/16. It is not. I am 73 years old and have not had a tv since the beginning of October. I don't know what to do next. I paid for 4 years of extended warranty and that is no good unless the warranty is out. I was told that it would be valid as long as I needed the part. Calling customer service for RCA is just a waste of time. I am about to write my State Attorney General to see if there is something they can do.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

RCA USED to be a very reliable and higher end manufacturer, what happened? It's been months since my TV stopped working under warranty. It took 2 weeks to get the at home diagnosis since they deemed it unrepairable. It's been nothing but a ghost chase. Frustrating experience!! After several weeks of waiting for further contact from RCA after our TV (receipt attached) was deemed unrepairable, we've been directed to you for a refund or replacement.

This TV was costly & was bought recently, it was diagnosed as unrepairable by the technician that was sent out (receipt attached). We were told that the warranty would be honored with a replacement TV or a refund within (2) weeks. That was now several weeks ago. We've been waiting a long time & this is the first (and hopefully last) attempt to email you these receipts that RCA should have. Not a happy customer here. Before we publish our reviews on this company, please respond & we'll do our best to work with you to resolve this issue in a timely manner. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Purchased RCA LED55G55R120Q Series Ultra HDTV on August 11th, 2016, it arrived August 17th and I was allowed to open the box on September 5th. (It was a gift.) On December 6th my TV developed a line in the screen about 1 inch thick that was very pixelated and yellow and green. Called and set up a service call. December 27th the service tech told us the television could not be repaired and would be replaced. I was told I would hear from them in 3 to 5 business days. It's been almost a month. I have sent emails and get no response and the number they give you to call only tells you that representatives are busy and to send an email. This is crazy and I am tired of it. It is not hard to see why ACTIVEON/RCA has a big fat "F" with BBB.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I bought a brand new RCA Tablet Pro-12 from Wal-Mart in Pittsburg, California on Christmas Eve. The volume stopped working before a week. I took the tablet back to Wal-Mart in what I thought was a reasonable amount of time - 2 weeks, and to my surprise, I WAS TOO LATE!!! I had to bring it back within 15 days!!! So I figured I would surely be covered by the Manufacturer's Warranty, and I cannot even get a live person at RCA!!! It is all done through emails back and forth, and they are not even replacing my brand new product. I have to be inconvenienced by mailing it back, and RCA doesn't even replaced it. THEY REFURBISH IT!!! I BOUGHT THIS BRAND NEW, not to mention this Pro-12 stopped functioning properly within days of purchase. Stay away from the Pro-12!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

RCA 40" TV under warranty, had it checked, by Sears Service, who indicated I would be hearing from RCA regarding Replacement. Well this was 3 months ago. I get nothing from RCA/ACTIVEON. Won't answer calls, emails. Absolutely the worst! Have tried other "RCA" service centers, and even the warranty repair service.... All I get is the "call Activeon using the number provided" which is a black hole.

RCA Company Information