Netgear

Netgear

3.4/5 (284 ratings)

About Netgear

Netgear Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netgear?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: July 30, 2021

The service was terrible enough when I first set up my modem/router, a Nighthawk C7800. Super hard to understand the accents, irritated reps, hours and hours to set my system up. Why do they make it so hard? And then they wanted me to buy a subscription to their customer service, because otherwise after 90 days they wouldn't help me anymore. Right. Like I want to put myself through that again. So now, here it is, a mere four months later, and the wifi portion of the router has totally failed. Modem works great. Ethernet connections work great. But the router sends out a powerful wifi signal with practically no internet involved. Speeds go from 105 mbps to 3. Or 1. Or 0.

So I try, foolishly, to get help. I can just return the modem, because Best Buy has excellent customer service. But I want to give the router one more chance before I send it to the landfill. What do I get? A chatbot. Enthusiastically offering to help. Only thing is that every time I mentions 'speed' in the chatbox, it tells me that that is an issue with my provider. So sorry. Can't help. All responses stop. I try this four times, the fourth time (maybe I learn slowly) I don't use the word 'speed.' Chatbot perks up. Offers again enthusiastically to help. So I describe the problem again, and again, without the word 'speed.'

And then, again, it quits responding. I ask, "Are you human or a bot?" I ask, "Why do you keep disappearing?" And in response that it, literally, disappears. The chatbox vanishes from the page. Why? I don't know. Was the question too hard for it? Probably. Whatever the reason, after 4 months my modem/router has ceased to work. So now I have to replace it, again.

Original review: July 24, 2021

TLDR: Netgear warranty support is a scam; Do not buy this brand's equipment. Sorry for the wall of text. My Nighthawk router stops communicating with my modem and I do some troubleshooting. Because I am able to access the router through the wifi/LAN port, I am able to fiddle around with the configurations and see if anything is wrong. Let me inform you that I am not new to networking as I used to work in a data center maintaining my test bed's computer stack (hardware and software). However, this is basic networking, so that amount of experience is just overkill. Anyway, after basic troubleshooting like replacing other network hardware components, I come to the conclusion that the router's WAN port will not connect to the modem.

At this point, I put in a ticket (24 hour lifetime) with Netgear and about a day later I call them and talk with an "expert". I can immediately tell that this person is an expert, but not at anything dealing with networking. She says that she wants to connect with my router and that she will be right back. Mind you, the WAN port is not communicating with the modem. After about 2 minutes, she comes back and determines that the hardware is OK and that we need to do some software troubleshooting. I immediately interject and ask her how she was possibly able to troubleshoot the hardware. She gets about three words into her response and then the phone call mysteriously hangs up. At this point, I am skeptical.

I immediately go back online and look at my ticket and it has been closed! So, I put in another ticket and call the technical support line. I tell the next lady that I have a current ticket, but I also have a previous ticket that was just recently closed. She just runs with the current ticket number and we start the process. One thing I noticed is that the only thing this next “expert” asked me about is if any lights are on. I say the power and three wifi lights are blinking. She immediately goes into telling me that the previous “expert” has already completed the hardware checks and that I will need to talk with a software technician. Ok, here is when things get even more odd.

I tell the current “expert” that there is no way the previous “expert” was able to troubleshoot anything on the router and that our phone call got cut off. I referenced the ticket number and the timestamp associated while telling her that basically no troubleshooting other than identifying a few lights are on has happened. She proceeds to tell me that we need to have software technicians troubleshoot and determine the configuration of the router. Here is the scam.

Because the 90-day phone support has expired, and I didn’t want to pay the minimum of ~$89.00 dollars for unneeded extended support, I would also not be able to take advantage of the one-year hardware warranty. The reason is that she would not recommend it and this is required. She kept on referencing the previous “experts” notes and I repeatedly told her that she didn’t do any remote troubleshooting and that we didn’t even finish our phone call. The problem is that you cannot take advantage of the hardware warranty unless you get one of these “experts” to initiate it.

I finally got her to admit that there would be no way to get this router RMA’ed unless I pay for the extended phone support. Here is the thing, there are no technicians that will come out to your house, there are no possible ways to access this router from their remote location with a downed WAN port, and because the router has been factory reset there is no way to do the initial configuration since the phone app will not complete the configuration…since the WAN is down and it cannot detect a modem connection.

This has got to be one of the worst legal scams out there. However, I am not surprised if other companies have this same business model. My 7-month old, ~$400.00 Nighthawk Router is currently a paperweight. ***Oh, she also tried to push me back off onto Best Buy (purchased location) to do some local troubleshooting like they would be able to do more with the current situation. Pathetic.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk router. Things were going fine till I discovered an Xbox on my internet. We do not own an x-box. I blocked the device and things went downhill from there. The router started blocking things that had been connected to the internet previously. No amount of resetting would fix the problem. I finally used my browser (the app is basically useless) and an ethernet cable to get more information. As soon as I loaded the Netgear page the chat window kept aggressively popping up, I got annoyed and decided to chat with the person. Told them my issue and they said that a technician would call me in 5 minutes.

The technician called and asked if I'd give them control of my laptop, I allowed it. I told her what had happened and the steps I'd taken to fix the issue (multiple router and modem resets). She then proceeded to enter DOS and I watched as she executed a script that caused my computer to generate multiple IP addresses (I have a Masters in Computer Science, something I keep to myself with most techs because I want to see what they'll do without that knowledge). Then she told me that I had an IP address conflict and that they'd be happy to clean it up for me for $149.99. She was shocked when I told her "no, thanks". I ended the call, made sure she didn't still have access to my computer, did a factory reset of the router and TADA everything was fixed.

I'm writing this review to warn others. This was a blatant money grab. SHE created the IP issue, I saw her type out the command! Then she offered to fix the issue that SHE had created. I didn't do the factory reset before because I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting everything up again. That was my last resort. I'm not happy with the way this was handled, I'm not happy with the scam they are running, and I wish I had seen these reviews before purchasing this router. Shameful behavior and now I'm concerned that the router will continue to just drop and block things on its own.

Original review: July 20, 2021

This was the WORST experience I have ever had with any company. First I get a defective new product. Then I spend hours trying to remedy it with TECH reps? Then it is decided that the product was defective and had to be replaced. I have pay to get the replaced product before sending back the defective product. NETGEAR its products and service are substandard.

Original review: July 15, 2021

We have only had this modem for a year and a half when it stopped being connected to our ISP. Our service provider could not reconfigure the Wifi connection to modem since it was not provided by them and advised us to contact Netgear to match the Boot File given by our service provider. Unfortunately Netgear cannot assist us in this since one year has passed since purchase, without us paying for additional warranty of up to $139/year, or minimum or $49 for 3 months.

This was not worth the price after spending the money for the modem that should have lasted for longer than that. We would rather buy a new modem and obtain a new warranty with it! This makes NO sense. Needless to say, we are very disappointed. Would say giving ONE star for service. The other star was that we recall it was rather easy to set up, although it lasted only a year and a half before becoming useless....

Original review: July 12, 2021

Netgear -- the term "customer service" is an oxymoron when it comes to Netgear. Hour(S) long hold times! Still using Covid-19 as a poor excuse for nobody home. Netgear needs to hire more people for phone support and more people to respond sooner to cases registered online.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I had my product exactly a year and 2 months and my router asked for a update on the app so I tried to update it twice and it said retry both times so I unplugged everything from the router and now it won’t do anything. It’s like it is froze up. I called text support and they said, "Ma'am our product only has a 90 day warranty on the product to troubleshoot it. We will have to charger you almost 200.00." I said no forget that so I have contacted Best Buy Geek Squad. Had to make a appointment for them to come look at it at my house because they was no help either on the phone. Very aggravated. I will never again buy their product. Not worth the trouble or money at all.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Our devices were not staying connected to the internet, both wirelessly and hard wired. Our Netgear Nighthawk Router is just over 1 year old. I contacted Netgear Customer Support and all they offered to do was check the hardware of the router. Then anything after that would cost $139 per year to troubleshoot the system. The customer service rep for Netgear tried to tell me that she would change the WiFi channels thereby switching to a channel that would not get interfered with by the microwave/other internet users in the neighborhood. That was NOT the issue at all. She wanted to charge $139 just to perform a factory reset, something I was able to do myself. Don't buy anything from this company as they try to rope you into paying for a worthless yearly service contract.

Original review: June 24, 2021

The router looked cool. Liked the lights on it. Speed of connections was good. But it only lasted four months before it became unusable. Then I look online and find one bad review after another with the same problem. And not just this model.. Seemingly almost every wifi router the past few years has this issue. There is no real solution. Settings in the router will just vanish. Well technically they are still stuck inside somewhere so you can't just reconfigure it. You have to do a factory reset wiping everything out. Then put it all back in. When you safe guess what.. Gotta reboot. When you reboot they are all gone again. Internet connection vanishes randomly. Wifi just shuts itself off at times. Again.. there is no solution or fix. Once it does any of these three things it will happen again and again and again. Basically I bought a router that is now a four month old brick. I'm totally done with ever buying Netgear again.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Purchased ORBI LBR20 and worked fine till the Best Buy store warranty period ran out the stopped to functioning. After several days of troubleshooting, technical support could not resolve the issue. The unit is still under a 90 day warranty and asked for a full refund. I was denied. This company gives false advertisement and defrauds their customers. Stay away!!!!

Original review: May 15, 2021

I purchased a mid end modem to stop renting from Xfinity. It died in less than 4 months. Drops connection. Have contacted support 3+ times. Each time a different story. From just take it back to you need to spend 90 to pay to troubleshoot your device so that we can honor the 1 year warranty. Technicians have blamed Xfinity, Asus (router I use). I picked up a Comcast rental bridged to the Asus router...no issues. Clearly Netgear modem is the faulty component. I am out 250 as I will not pay to ship the modem back or a 90 support fee. They should be investigated and I believe a class action lawsuit filed. Stay away from netgear and I would encourage stores to take the product off the shelves. Netgear's poor service will tarnish the reputation of a store's brand.

Original review: April 30, 2021

My last Netgear router lasted me well over 8 years, so when I needed a new one last year, I purchased another Netgear router. I bought it on 5/14/20. Within 6 months or so I started to have connection issues with my internet. I replaced the ethernet cords, thinking that would help. It got so bad that I was resetting my router multiple times a day. Not being tech savvy, I had my cable company come to my house to test the equipment. It was the router. I bought a new one on Amazon and had it delivered the next day and my internet connection was great!

I went on Netgear's website and requested support as I had registered my NightHawk with them when I bought it. The first thing the support person says to me when I explained the problem was, "The router looks good on our end, so it must not be a hardware issue." I said, "Well, that's interesting since the Netgear is not plugged in. I have a new router installed and it is not your brand." Total silence from customer service. Finally she asked me to plug it in, which I did, and of course she says again, "It looks good on our end, so it's not a hardware issue." She went through a whole litany of things to try to make it work and I finally said, "So, you aren't replacing it?" "No, because it is not a hardware issue." I hung up on her as this was clearly a scam to get out of honoring the 1-year warranty which the device was still under.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Beware - Support is for 3 months on software!! Parental settings not available as even though it says it is. Part of the reason I purchased this "Night"Hawk. It's a "Night"mare. My device lost all of its settings after doing a simple power cycle. As is required by Comcast once in a while. I did not reset it! Support wouldnt talk to me unless I paid for support. They said it was a software issue? The unit was 3.5 months old? Do yourself a favor. DONT BUY NETGEAR!!

Original review: April 16, 2021

I purchased a router. What a joke. First, they direct you to an app to install. Except the app doesn't work. Even if you can get it installed (took 14 tries), it will crash as soon as you open it. On to the web version of the install, which sends you in loops. You never get a login screen. Call customer support. First person makes you create an account so they can spam you with email and sell your name. Second person makes you start all over with your info, provides you instructions that kill your internet, then disconnects accidentally and doesn't call you back, even though he said if that happened you would get a call back in 60 seconds. LOL. Sure. Long story short, eight hours of my life with Netgear, and another 4 trying to restore my fubared network. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I will not buy another Netgear product after my experience. I purchased Netgear's Orbi about 6 months ago and then upgraded to one with more sq. ft. capability. So I took the one I had to set it up at my daughter's. It would not setup so I called for support. The technical support from Netgear has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advise: avoid buying their products and tech support.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought the Nighthawk Wifi6 mesh system instead of an alternative mesh system like Google's Nest system which turned out to be a huge mistake. After an hour of struggling with the set-up I called customer service. I spent more than 2 hours with a technician. At the end I was told that we had tried everything and that the product is defective and needs to be returned. So I spent almost $250 on a defective product and was offered nothing in compensation. No money off of a replacement product for wasting so much of my time. Nothing. So instead I will return this, buy the Google Nest system (which I should have just done in the first place) and then never buy a Netgear product again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Like so many others I received a call from Sam posing as a Netgear wifi technician. When I questioned him he said he was an employee of Netgear. I asked to speak to his supervisor, his name is Victor. When these two decided I had to do everything from my laptop and not my tablet I became very suspicious. When they wanted to take control of my laptop I said no. I said I would call Netgear and check on these two credentials.

Victor got very nasty but I said no, I will call Netgear first. I hung up and called Netgear support. I got to a first level tech who gave me a case number and transferred me to tech support. Needless to say Victor and Sam are not on the Netgear Directory and their phone number is not listed either. I believe when one gets a cold call from someone like this, use the listed number to call back before you permit anyone actually taking over your computer, ever! There are only two companies I trust, one is Netgear. Their customer relations are excellent. Be very, very careful.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I got on the Netgear website because the wifi extender that I purchased wasnt performing. The tech guy I was forwarded to was an East Indian guy who gave me his name and number. Said he was in San Jose CA. He took over my laptop and told me I had multiple viruses and spyware and before he could resolve the extender issue, they would have to clean up my computer and recommended I install either Norton AV or Webroot plus I should install a new firewall. They would do it all and even provided prices. Seemed very strange since I have a very strong AV installed already. I refused and am sending back the Netgear extender. Sounds like these guys are subcontracted by Netgear to provide tech support services. I will not go near this company again. PS: I have no issues with my computer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I'm an IT professional. I've done extensive troubleshooting on the issue I was experiencing with my NetGear unit and determined the unit is defective. After about 8-16 hours, the modem would begin dropping packets out to the internet. Replacing the unit with another brand/manufacturer resolved the issue, thus confirming that the issue was the modem. Support has routinely tried to say anything they need to to get me off the phone. They will not transfer to management. I finally reached a manager after insisting and insisting, and talking over the technician repeatedly. I've clarified to NetGear that they are not honoring their 1 year Return Merchandise Authorization agreement.

At this point, I would like a refund instead, as they have forced me to take matters into my own hands and purchase a new modem. They finally were able to figure out the confusion - the other support technicians either didn't know or didn't care to make sure my RMA modem was on the way. In discussing this with NetGear, and seeking a refund, I have listed the reasons they should return my money. This has been provided to them:

1. Support told me my RMA unit would be cross-shipped ASAP. It wasn't. (Still hasn't been shipped.)
2. Support has never followed up on my ticket.
3. Support has told me a manager would contact me. They did not.
4. Support has told me they could not give me an RMA because I do not have a support contract. This is not disclosed when purchasing the product, and is honestly extremely unacceptable and unprofessional.
5. I have since purchased a new Modem for several reasons:

5a. I wanted to prove the NetGear unit was the problem, your support team has tried to indicate otherwise.

5b. I needed the issue resolved. After about a week of not hearing back and the support team seemingly just saying whatever they thought I wanted to hear and not actually assisting me. I had to call in and repeatedly insist on getting a manager. The team routinely tried not to do so. To get a manager, I had to be kind of a jerk honestly. This is also not acceptable.

5c. I used this to cement/prove that the unit was the issue, though I knew and insisted this from the beginning.
6. Your support doesn't seem to be particularly competent.

7. I was disconnected repeatedly when contacting support. This did not seem like an accident, always happened shortly after handing them the case number. This stopped happening when I insisted that it happened the last two times I called in and waited on hold to speak to someone.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I purchased a new modem from Netgear's website. When I connected new router which are both ax with 1g, I lost internet. Had a tech from Xfinity connect and test, no luck, no internet once connected to the router. Called Netgear, still under warranty. Sounded like very broken English. When I started telling him my problem, he hung up on me after I was on hold for over 45 minutes. I will never buy netgear again. I wonder if they will refund my money. Also when I asked them about security issue on my old netgear modem/router they just wanted more money. I refused to give them money. They should honor their products. If you buy one of these supposedly awesome products, don't fall for their GIVE ME MONEY SCHEME.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I purchased Netgear's Nighthawl CAX80 in Aug 2020. The technical support from Netgear is pathetic, unprofessional and fraud. Their team has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advise: avoid buying their products and tech support.

Chakki

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I am using Orbi for almost a year and all of a sudden, it stopped working. I called a tech support and immediately tech support asked me for warranty and I was told I only get 3 months of tech support from the day of purchase and thereafter it cost me $79.99 for 3 months or 6 months not sure. I was like, "Are you kidding." Just for the support on their own product, they are charging that much of amount. Representative was trying convince me and rationalize the pricing but that was outrageous. I planned to go with other companies.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I bought the Netgear AC1750 wifi router from Best Buy for $130. It is one year old and the internet was going in and out. The internet company said it was the router. I called Netgear and they were charging $89 to fix the router problem and guarantee it for six months. They don’t provide tech support for their own product. Such a scam.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I have the Netgear C3700 Router Modem (less than a year old). It worked okay until a second computer was introduced then it failed. It can't deal with 2 IP addresses. Tech Support was terrible! Took forever to find a phone number, connection was terrible. Then after 30 minutes, they tried to get me to a technician and charge me over $100. I would give them a 1/2 star if possible. Stay away from this brand!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Do not agree to allow them access to your machine and do not pay them any money. Like several others who have posted I was trying to simply set up a Wi-Fi extender. When I entered my information online to register the product, I got an error code and immediately got a call from this 1-800 number asking if I needed assistance setting the extended up. They (Sam) indicated I had over 60 active IP addresses which is why I was getting the error code. He asked to access my computer to see if he could troubleshoot which I allowed assuming he was Netgear Tech Support. Long story short they wanted $489.99 for a lifetime IP Sonic Firewall product that would protect all devices in my home. This is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I purchased a Netgear nighthawk wireless router in September 2019. It's been working fine. I get an email telling me I need to update the wifi firmware. I proceed with the update. THE UPDATE BROKE MY WIFI ROUTER! The power light has been blinking green ever since the update with no wifi for me to use. I call customer service. They tell me I have to PAY for technical support. I pay for it. The guy on the phone was like, "Ok, I'm going to transfer you to the correct department to fix this issue." They disconnected the call.

So I call back, only to find out the case was closed on their end when I gave them the case number. New guy gives me a new case number... then transfers me AGAIN!! I sat on hold for 48 minutes with no answer whatsoever. Before I hung up the automated voice says "there are 2 people in front of you, estimated wait time is 43 minutes." I hung up at that point. I'm requesting a refund through the company for my payment for technical support that I never received for their junk. I threw the router away and went to buy a different brand. The customer service wait time is horrible and the actual people you talk to have very broken English that is difficult to understand. I'm ok with talking to ANYONE as long as they speak English when you request an English speaking representative.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I bought $100 Netgear nighthawk less than a year ago, I’ve had nothing but trouble with it. Today it needs some kind of an update and they want me to pay for it. I will not. What a scam. They sell you something and then charge you to fix their own product. DON'T BUY NETGEAR.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Well first of all you save me from spending $498.00. Thank you! I had to buy a modem because Charter/Spectrum (another story) cannot hook up my phone from VoIP. I bought the top of the line Nighthawk. I was trying to hook up the extender and I put that information into the registration at Netgear. Immediately, same story, as your other complaints. Indian fellow, very nice, took over my computer and told me that I was infected. Somehow, (gut) told me he was lying and I pulled up your information from telephone number 800-319-8707 and stalled. Read your reviews and hung up. Guys, thank you, I am out of work and down on my luck and $498 would have crushed me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Stay away from Netgear. My extender was working fine for a year and then inexplicably stopped. A call to their tech support resulted in a promise to restore connectivity in exchange for a $60 fee. I gave them a piece of my mind, reminding them that I could buy a new extender with 90day warranty for the same price. To no avail, I promptly hung up and happily disposed of my extender. Horrible customer service for such an established company. I will not only never purchase another Netgear product for my personal use, but have also instructed my IT dept to cease purchases of Netgear products for any application.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I was transferred 11 times on my first attempt to contact phone support, finally I gave up and tried chat support, but they kept telling me that I need to hold for a specialist to join, which never happened. I finally just returned the 3 products I had purchased and bought a competitor's product. I have had no issues since I made my return. I will not be buying any more Netgear products or recommended them to anyone I come in contact with.

Netgear Company Information