1.03/5

193 Netgear Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We recently bought Netgear AC1750 router to work with our ISP modem. From the very first day (although all lights will stay green) periodically router drops the Wifi connection. The only fix is to reboot (power off/on) the router each time this happens. We were given number by our ISP helpdesk to contact them as there is NO customer service number or contact information provided by the Netgear at their company's website. Called in late at night (not even during the regular business hours); we were 10th in line and it took more than an hour hold before for a support person (definitely offshore/outsourced) to finally answer the call. We gave our information including the contact number, as requested by the support person, to call back just in case call drops.

Call did drop and received no call back for our answers. You call back again and wait in line which we did not do. Tried the next. Again waited for a while and then gave up. It seems very likely that a single offshore person is supporting the entire North America. We also checked Netgear Genie software to see if there are any issue/alarms/fixes etc - none found. As a final resort signed up and posted my concerns on the Netgear 'community' blog. No response was received for our posted concerns. In all fairness, there seems to be single person who had responded to something similar but it does not make any sense to a new user such as I.

All it does (depending on number of labels you picked for complaints) is to list tons of documents relevant to the labels picked; Good luck figuring out your solution. This happens when there is no competition and/or accountability or oversight set by the Govt. It does not seem that Netgear cares and like Netgear hardware, such as, AC1750 router, its customer service complements its poor brand image and lacks any accountability/responsibility towards its customers as well. Lesson learned. Product will be returned and never to have Netgear as one of the purchase option.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I called your customer support to find out “if” I needed to perform upgrades to my router. I had a very hard time communicating with the representative. He had an accent, which was a small part of the issue, but he didn’t seem to be able to communicate well in general. He told me that he would upgrade my router security and make sure that all of my devices were protected. I asked him if I would have to pay for the service. He said “no.”

The man tried asked me to let him access my computer and I told him that I was very nervous about allowing him access to my computer. He then said that he didn’t need it and sent me to a website. We were not seeing the same icons on the webpage. Even though we probably weren’t on the same webpage the man then tells me that I have to upgrade my security plan. I was furious. I have been on the phone for 40 minutes and then he tells me that I have to pay.

I asked to speak with a manager. I then waited another 10-15 minutes. The manager said he was sorry. He explained what the other man was trying to do and he then said that I had to upgrade my security plan. If there is a security upgrade for my phone or computer, Apple pushes the security patches through. Now I am being told if I want to protect my Netgear router that I have to pay for it. I feel like I was part of a scam today and I lost well over an hour of my Sunday trying to work with your representative. This is an expensive piece of equipment and I am very disappointed that your company does not take better care to protect their customers and the Netgear equipment.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought a router a year and a 1/2 ago while stationed in Korea at the Post Exchange. I was able to use routerlogin.net to customize my router etc. while in Korea. I get back here and try to log in and it won't allow me to even connect to the website. I figured maybe purchasing in Korea might have to do something with it after all the troubleshooting efforts didn't work. So I try to contact support. Man oh man is the NETGEAR support the worst ** support ever. Not only does it keep sending me in loops back and forth but it had me speak to a robot who couldn't understand ** (and no I have no accent) and then to top it all off it hung up on me. My job is in the IT field in the military so I am nowhere close to technologically dull. Will never purchase a NETGEAR router again, and if anybody sees this I hope this helps you to STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I bought a 1 year support contract with Netgear. When I called for support on a product I was routed through 8 or 9 different departments over the course of 2 hours. Each one said that they were the wrong department for the product and said they would transfer me to the correct department. I was always transferred to another department that also said that they was the wrong department. And on and on, over and over. Pathetic! Never sucker and buy a support contract, it is worthless and a waste of money. Better still, avoid buying Netgear products.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

ARLO Promised use of their USB Ports on their VMC3030 base station, to date they WILL NOT or HAVE NOT release their promise. They have added this feature to their Pro-Base Station & informed me I should upgrade, after spending $1100.00 on their Arlo-Wireless Products, without compensation. Now owning 3-Base-Stations & 15-cameras, within months, several cameras started recording in pink, consistently go offline, Arlo does apologizes for their consistent server failures, but that is NOT COMFORTING when relying of security. There are constant FALSE notifications that cameras have detected motion, but NO RECORDINGS were captured or the motion just DID NOT occur. These are a few of several complaints about the ARLO System, the reason for 2-Stars is for their Outdoor Wireless Technology.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I bought a Netgear router last year and is failed after approx. 5 months. I tried to get it replaced under the warranty but Netgear were very difficult to Help. They initially said the warranty was only valid for 90 days and asked for $70 to extend it. After I complained they agreed to give me technical assistant. I was getting calls at 22:40 at night from the USA and they eventually agreed it was broken. I then return the router for repair, weeks later they said it wasn't covered under the warranty and would send the router back to me. Then they lost the router and offered £6 compensation. I was fuming as this did not even cover the postage and phone calls. Since then they have not responded to any emails. Stay away from this company, the warranty is useless.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

After calling Spectrum, they said to call Netgear about router issue we were having. After an hour call and speaking with a service rep and supervisor, they informed me that the only way to repair my router's software would be to pay them $149 for 12 month service contract. I told the supervisor that instead I would buy a new router for $100. He informed me that a new router would not repair the problem and that in order for us to ever have wireless service again we would have to pay them the $149!! Beware!! Total scam!! The scary part is that this was the phone number Spectrum gives out to their customers with Netgear problems.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I purchased 4 Arlo Pro wireless cameras from Best Buy in 2017. Paid over 1,000 for the cameras. They are rechargeable cameras. These were bought to serve as a security system in my home. First time used they worked perfect. Maintained the charge for over 6 months. Recharged the batteries as directed. However now they don't hold a charge for more than 5 days and one of the cameras won't charge at all.

I called their support team which the number is very hard to find by the way. It's very well hidden. Then you wait for hours on hold. They don't want listen to anything you tell them. They tell you to recharge and it will be fine. Which of course it's not. Then they have you keep calling giving you the runaround of different things that are wrong which that is not the case and keep doing this till your warranty is up and then they won't talk to you at all after that. I have asked several times for a manager of the support team to call me back and have not received a callback. I paid a lot of money for security camera that only worked for 6 months. This is an expensive rip off to the consumers and needs action taken against them.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Horrible product, I don’t know if it the extender or the router but both are Netgear product. So I have Nighthawk X6s which is a tri band router and EX8000 which it suppose to have Fastlane and use the 2nd 5Ghz channel, which never happens so I contacted customer support and they send me an email and I followed the instructions and it didn’t work so I tried troubleshooting myself since I have very good knowledge about networks and routers.

Still no luck, connection drops a lot, when doing ping test either to the router or extender it drops a lot and signal strength is great and no interference, every few hours I had to reset the router or the extender, 2nd WiFi 5Ghz channel suddenly disappears and only after reset it appears again for few hours and the disappears again. After a week of troubleshooting and of course Netgear support are not helpful because they lack knowledge and not trained or pros at all, just very basic troubleshooting. I finally returned the router and extender.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I bought a 6400 router from Netgear. After a year it needed a reconfiguration supposedly. My internet company told me to call Netgear. Same problem as others, 30 minute phone wait, would only help me if I paid. Did not pay. Then told me to go to Netgear.com to fix it myself. No help there. Will never buy them again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Purchased a Netgear AC3000 Tri-Band Router 6 months ago. Worked fine until two weeks ago. Now I have to shut it off and re-boot it at least every 1-2 days to get Internet access. When I called support they told me tech support was good for 90 days and if I wanted support it would cost $49. It doesn't say it on the box but it does state it in a pamphlet inside the box. How clever of them! If I would have seen the 90 day support limitation on a product they truly have confidence in, not! I would not have purchased it. It does come with a one year hardware warranty though. The tech informed me that hardware warranty applies if some or all the lights don't come on. Laughable of course but my problem. Will just return it to Costco and never purchase another Netgear product again.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Was sent a replacement product, and Netgear never sent the return FedEx label or box to send it back in. Have called them every day, and their agent said, "I talked to my supervisor, and you should be getting a email in 4-5 hours, from my supervisor". So I said I need the FedEx return label and shipping container to return defective product. She (agent) said I would get one in the mail. 3 days gone by and nothing. I even paid for FedEx up front, and they (NetGear) are still dragging their feet. I would hope someone at NetGear can be responsible and send me what they said they would do... and that is the return FedEx shipping label and container to send defective product back.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Couldn't understand the Netgear Customer service person. He was unable to solve the problem and transferred me to another technician. First issue is I cannot get the Netgear Genie off of my MacBook Pro screen. It locks up my computer forcing me to force quit all the time. I've been on phone-hold for 36 minutes now and still no help. Router R6400, at 2.4 Hrz, runs at best at half speed (30 Mbps). My Comcast speed is 60 Mbps. My Comcast Router set at 2.4 Mhz runs at about 60 Mbps. The Netgear router reach throughout the home is no better than the Comcast router. I think this is good enough reason to return my equipment for another product.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Netgear has great products, but their phone support is non-existent. If they ever fall out of the marketplace, it's their phone support to blame. Just getting to the right department is difficult. The hold time is extremely long. Then when you finally reach a human, they don't listen. I've tried twice for different product support, and both times ended up getting transferred to the wrong department after being on the phone for 45 minutes. I give up!

Original review: July 3, 2018

The Arlo pro cameras was advertised to keep you safe while away from home also while you sleep but that is not true. Actually I have woken up numerous times with all cameras off. Go out my front/back door and the camera don't record and I just walked passed it, with trash in my yard or something suspicious around the thing on my property. When you call for troubleshooting helpline the rep will tell you how to fix one camera but don't tell you, you need to repeat this step for all cameras. They will lie and say they're going to send you a replacement camera. Ask you for your credit card information to pay for shipping but never send replacement. The next day I started receiving calls about being selected to receiving a government grant for $9,200 sum dollars but I will need to go to Dollar General, Walgreen or Walmart to purchase a $400 stream card then call them at this number 3153321264 and give ID 7060 in order to receive the $9,200 grant.

This started one day after giving Arlo reps my credit card number. After speaking with supervisor I was advised that I was not the only customer waiting so I took that to mean they are taking customers credit card information knowing full well they are not going to send a replacement camera. After waiting on hold and talking to rep going through troubleshooting steps and this is what you get, Netgear is aware of this I've called left message, they change their number to customer service so you can't leave message.

It is my belief that some of Netgear reps are manipulating the cameras without customers permission causing them to shut down go offline and stop record so customers will call thinking their cameras are broken when the cameras are intentional and maliciously set to stop recording while base station signal all cameras or online and working properly until you check your library then you see your cameras had record for hours only to collect customer credit card info. I have been filled with nothing but stress and anxiety dealing with Netgear/Arlo not knowing when and if the cameras will start and stop recording causing me to worry.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have 5 cameras and a base station of Netgear VueZone equipment. The first year I could access my cameras by iPhone and then when iPhone upgraded to IOS 11 Netgear quit supporting VueZone. Okay, so I paid $49.95 for a year of cloud storage for my cameras and it no longer works either. So I have bought all this Netgear equipment, had it all working just as advertised and then Netgear quit supporting it and expects me to buy their newer model security system. I don't think so. I would recommend people stay away from Netgear because they don't support their sales.

Original review: June 23, 2018

We’ve had the Orbi wireless router system for less than a month and it has consistently stopped working and when it does decide to work has very slow internet speeds and has proven to be useless. Finally decided to call customer service which I am currently on the phone with and have been on hold for an hour and a half. Called on a different phone to be told that it would cost 69$ to receive help or hang up (I hung up). With that being said I will be buying a new router that’s not a product of Netgear and will NEVER buy one of their products in the future.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Bought Netgear router. Had to replace my computer. Getting everything ready and Netgear says it needs my PIN or security key. I call Netgear and get someone that can barely speak English. So hard to understand. All I want is my pin #. He explains why this won’t work because my network won’t work and if I send them $99 for the first year they can fix it. I am now trying to get off the phone (tell him I need to think about it). Not 2 minutes later another one calls to make sure that I don’t miss out on this deal. His English was worst than the first. Company is horrible.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I bought the X6 and send it back within 3 days had nothing but problems with it. Then I decided I would try the upgrade and bought the X8. It work 3 days shut off. I called Netgear. They said, "You have to send it back. There's nothing we can do. It's broken." So now I bought the x10 which cost $400. It work 3 days and I had spent an hour on the phone. Netgear fix it. Then it works for an hour and first thing this morning it's not working again and I've been on the phone for an hour waiting to get through the Netgear again to try to fix it. $400 for total piece of crap that doesn't work. Buyers beware. Do not buy any Netgear products.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After having my 4 Arlo cameras for over 2 1/2 years they started to act strange, so I called tech support. I was told I had a security problem, they blocked my account, and wants $249 to "fix" the problem. 3 cameras were working fine before the call, now nothing works, and they won't turn it on until I give them money. Shame on Best Buy, Sam’s and Walmart for allowing these crooks to steal from their customers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Terrible scam on the support line out of India. Totally Indian and nothing to do with USA. They just wanted to sell me a product warranty and I paid over $80 for no help. Then after I complained and they made we wait 98 minutes on hold and speak to 5 levels of management promised a refund of the 80 bucks but then only refunded 40 on my credit card. 100% scam. I called my congressman and filed an Attorney General report. DON'T BUY NETGEAR EVER!!!

Original review: May 27, 2018

Last week, my Netgear router started sending me bizarre error messages and I was unable to access the internet. I called Netgear customer support and was told since I had purchased my router more than a year earlier I would have to pay a fee for their help. I was disgusted and bought a new router from a another company. Two days later, I read in the news that a virus had infected 500,000 servers nationwide --- and my Netgear router was one of them. If they have they are having a widespread and persistent problem with their machines, wouldn't you think they would come up with a better strategy than: "Pay up if you want our help?"

Original review: May 25, 2018

I received a BRAND NEW C6300 router as a GIFT about 2 months ago. I took the plastic off of the box and everything. As a single mother on a tight budget, it was an amazing gift. It was working great until I got home last night and my Alexa couldn't connect to the network. Facebook worked. Netflix did not. Google worked. Any site that could possibly contain an answer did not. My Xfinity app worked. Their forum sites did not. It was RIDICULOUS. So, after spending about 45 minutes on the phone with Xfinity after 9 pm and with two toddlers, they suggested I call Netgear because it obviously wasn't a problem on their end. Call Netgear. Get a guy that can barely speak the English language yet has major superiority complex. He gets ALL of my information - name, address, phone number, router serial number - finds my router, and then asks when I bought it.

I explained it was a NIB gift that I had just received two months ago. He tells me that the router was made in November of 2016 and that, without proof of date of purchase, my warranty has expired. He goes on to tell me that the router needs to be reconfigured ON THEIR END and that the only way they'll do it is for me to pay them for a warranty. So, basically, the only way to fix this is on their end? Kind of like how it could have been messed up in the first place is ON THEIR END. How convenient that it just takes someone logging into their computer at Netgear and potentially sending a signal to random routers that partially disables them and requires payment to fix? I will NEVER buy another Netgear product again. I've already started warning my family, friends, and my co-workers.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My internet service went down on Sunday 5/20/2018. I called Comcast Cable and they ensured that my service should be working. They ran a test and said that they were making connection with my modem. They suggested the problem was with my Netgear router, and even gave me their contact phone number immediately. Desperate to have service, I called Netgear. The lady that answered the call was very nice and polite, and very reassuring that she could fix my service without having to replace my expensive router. This call went on for approximately 1 hour and required me to allow remote access. She told me she could fix the problem, but since I didn't have a one year service contract it would be a cost of $139.99. She never offered a one time service charge or a 6 month service charge, only a 1 yr subscription fee of $139.99.

I watched the screens they accessed, which was nothing difficult. Input username/ password, pinged computer 10 times then 100 times, and then service was restored. Today when I read the service contract I saw where I could have opted for a one time fee of $50, or a 6 month contract of $88, or a one year contract of $139.99, or a two year contract for I believe $199. I also noticed 10 days to cancel the one year agreement, so I immediately called to cancel. I spoke to a male named Sasha (888) 615-3488. He kept me on the phone for 16-25 minutes just trying to cancel the service. Told me his supervisor was on another call and he was only one with authority to cancel. He then tried to resell the benefits of the service and I declined for third or fourth time. He final said he would have a supervisor call me back within 1 hour. We will see if that happens.

This whole thing is a tremendous scam! I hope for a class action lawsuit against this company, and will spread the word to all friends and family not to purchase their products unless they are prepared to pay for annual or extended service contracts. I would not be surprised to see if Comcast is associated with them, since they readily gave me their contact number, and I'm sure Comcast is upset they are no longer getting my monthly subscription for their modem/ router. Which is another scam.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk 1900 from Best Buy in Poughkeepsie, NY. I owned the Netgear router for about four months and then KaBoom! Everything went to hell; I called customer service and they wanted $50 for a diagnosis. If they determined the problem was software related, I’d pay a fee; if the issue was hardware related, then I pay nothing and they’d replace the Nighthawk for free. Interestingly enough, the customer service agent (who I had a hard time understanding because of her thick accent) said the Netgear Nighthawk comes with a (1) year warranty - but that’s not exactly true...is it. Buyer beware. The reviews are true.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I called about a problem with my wireless router from Netgear. Netgear customer service had been on the phone for at least an hour. After going through many different things they told me my router was working well and to complete the service I needed to pay them $139 for the year or I had another option of paying over $200 for two years but they had to finish the service on their end and they would only do that if I paid for the service. I have had this unit this rack wireless router for nine months. I paid almost $200 for this wireless router. I will never buy a Netgear again. I’m hoping somebody sues them and I will join it as a class action lawsuit. I hope a lot of people read this and never buy next year.

Original review: May 14, 2018

After purchasing a set of four (4) Arlo Wireless Cameras, I attempted to install them with measured success. Due to my purchase being to monitor my second home nearly 1200 miles away, I relied on them heavily to view my investment. I spent months of time researching my options regarding “Wireless Camera Systems” in several large stores as well as on the internet. After being a longtime consumer of Netgear Routers and having great success, I assumed they were reputable; however, I noticed that they had no United States based support for any of their products which was alarming. The Tech Support that is the only one available is based in the Philippines. I tried at least a dozen times to address issues with the support team but they weren’t too successful. After my being persistent I was able to get some level of satisfaction.

I decided to extend my camera coverage with the Arlo Pro version of the camera selection that included a audio feature that allows the user to communicate with someone being observed on the camera. It was a great concept until Netgear refused to upgrade their software to accommodate the new iOS by Apple. I first noticed that the audio portion wasn’t working after being ignored by my neighbor who was at my door one day. After asking him why he had ignored me, he claimed that he never heard a word I spoke over the camera.

I had to fly 1200 miles and two and a half hours on a jet flight to test the camera which in fact wasn’t working. After calling the Arlo Netgear Support phone number, I was advised that they would be coming out with a patch for the program soon. It is now three months later and they haven’t done anything which renders my camera useless to me. Eight hundred dollars later and their Cloud program also being found to be questionable, the company couldn’t care less about the problem. Recently I have been contacting several stores that sell their products with requests that they review their agreements with Netgear; however, there is little interest in customer respect available.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have had a WNR2000v4 N300 router from Netgear that I have had for about 2 years now. My internet has begun running extremely slow and so I began looking for solutions. There was a firmware update for my router which says it would multiple issues including slowing internet over time. I tried to install multiple times and kept getting an error saying that the firmware file was incorrect. I called and spoke to someone who ran me through the same things that I had tried previously with the same end result. He had me completely reset my router which helped the speed for the time being. He said he fixed the speed and to not worry about the firmware update.

He had no idea why the firmware update was not working. It seems this issue with the firmware update is common on the Netgear routers from what I have seen online, but nobody has a solution including Netgear themself. He said because my technical support contract was beyond the date that he would not be able to help me again without me paying. Within a few minutes of getting off the phone my internet speeds were back to where they were before I called. I'm stuck with a router that does not work and no support from the Netgear unless I want to pay to have them attempt to fix the issue. It would be cheaper to just buy a new router from another company and not have to pay Netgear for service that I expect to be the same as it was before I paid.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I purchased 5 Arlo Pro last fall. In February, one quit working, I called Netgear and the guy put it through some tests and said it was faulty and they would send me a new one. Not ONCE did he tell me to return the bad one, so I tossed it in a trash can. I repeated called Netgear as to where my new camera was, they said I had to return the old one first. I could not remember where it was or even it had gone out in the trash pickup. They were not kind or helpful, all they said was I had to return the old. I asked if I could not find it what then, they replied I could not get a new one. This was less than 6 months after purchase. I started getting emails of at least 3 a week telling me to return the broken camera. If I did not they were closing the case. I would call and get the same response, almost like they were reading it. This went on until about 3 weeks ago (constant emails from Netgear, no budging at all).

I was emptying trash cans around my house and I found it in one I do not normally use because it is a guest bedroom. I sent it to them, I had to pay for overnight shipping, but they got it and sent me a new one after 3 months. I will NEVER purchase a product from Netgear again nor recommend them to others. Their customer service people were obstinate, rude, stubborn and not willing to help me at all. I would advise anyone to look at other similar products before Netgear.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Best Buy recommended I buy a Netgear router and modem. When I couldn't set it up correctly, and Comcast exhausted all ideas except to give me Netgear's number, I ended up spending over two hours on the phone with a tech to get Internet up and running. The Internet connection was intermittent, and I called the next day to get that corrected. Today I called with a new problem and was advised to get a two-year contract, to which I stupidly agreed. I then read the uniformly negative reviews of Netgear's service, or lack thereof, and called the number to cancel subscriptions (888-615-3488), not one of the tech advice numbers. Whereas before I quickly got a tech, I waited 40 minutes before talking to a woman who wanted to know why I wanted to cancel and then said she didn't have authority to cancel and would put me on hold while fetching her supervisor.

Fifteen minutes later she came back to say the supervisor was in a meeting and would call me back, which he did an hour and a half later. After talking to him for a few minutes, he said he'd have to arrange a conference call with someone who had the authority to cancel subscriptions. After ten minutes I talked to another woman who finally said she would refund my money. Naturally, everyone I talked to tried to convince me I was making a big mistake by canceling. I will notify my credit card company if I don't get a chargeback in two working days. Having read the reviews of others, I am in full agreement that service is merely a scam to get people to buy service contracts. Why Best Buy would recommend Netgear is beyond me.

Netgear Company Information