Netgear

Netgear

3.3/5 (277 ratings)

About Netgear

Netgear Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netgear?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: May 16, 2022

Netgear advertises that a number of their routes have parental control. It is 100% false. Not only that, they suggest multiple ways on their website that parental controls can be accessed in other ways. All false claims! Here are things they say you can do that are impossible.

1) removed parental controls from the Nighthawk Routers
2) removed the Circle on Netgear app from app store so no longer able to use Circle
3) removed parental control accessibility from using OpenDNS

4) removed parental control function from Nighthawk app

The company's recommendation is to buy a new Netgear router. However, I have talked with other people who have informed me that Netgear will soon be removing the parental control functionality from these also. The whole company is basically a scam. It's just one lie after another. After using Netgear products for over 30 years, I am now done. As soon as I get a new router from another company, I am going to take a sledge hammer to the $250 piece of ** I got from them. Is this what others have determined? They have just gutted ALL possibilities of using parental controls?

Original review: May 15, 2022

I have had my Netgear Nighthawk wifi router for just over a year now. I went on the app and it was saying I needed to do a firmware update so I pushed the button to update the firmware. During the update I didn't unplug or power off the unit, yet once it was done the power light just flashes now. I looked up what it means and found out the firmware that was a suggested update corrupted the wifi router. When I call support they say they can get it working again for around $150.. You sent the update out that ruined your product. YOU NEED TO FIX IT. How can you expect someone to pay to fix something you broke? I will NEVER purchase anything made by this company again. They have shown the type of business they run and I would recommend EVERYONE to avoid purchasing anything with their name on it.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2022

Received an email regarding the upcoming renewal of the Armor service for our router. We don't use the router anymore as it was not able to handle our usage. So, I went online to try to cancel the auto-renewal. According to the email, it said we would be renewed "if we had chose the auto-renewal option." When I went to the website and found our subscription, it said it was not eligible for auto-renewal. Two days later, I was charged for the renewal. Returned to the website and could find no place where I could cancel the subscription. Tried the online chat with customer service but it never connected. Called twice and went through the menu options only to be disconnected. Decided to dispute the charge with my credit card company instead as they are able to get results quicker. If I could, I wouldn't even give Netgear one star...

Original review: April 11, 2022

Netgear has refused to refund my $689 after returning a wifi hotspot. The item was sealed and unopened. I returned in the same bubble mailer it came in and closely following their RMA instructions, using their contracted carrier (FedEx) and return shipping label they provided. The tracking shows it was received. They claim the package was empty when they received it and denied my refund and told me to contact Fedex. I filed a claim with Fedex and they denied the claim. I am out $689. Why should I be liable for this loss when I followed Netgear's instructions, used their contracted carrier and the return label they sent me? There was no option to return to a local store. What did I do wrong that I should be liable for the loss? It's not like I chose to use my own carrier. Do NOT buy directly from Netgear.com or this can happen to you too. If you buy from them and something goes wrong beyond your control, they will not guarantee their sales process.

Original review: April 1, 2022

Bought an AX1600 Wifi extender and could not get it setup. After following the instructions multiple times I gave up and called customer service where I was connected to someone in India. After spending over 15 minutes on the phone with them just trying to access basic info for myself and the router (not even providing tech support), I'm giving up and returning this to the store. SO FRUSTRATING.

Original review: March 25, 2022

Have been dealing with Netgear for over a week on a modem we purchased less than 1 year ago. By far, the worst customer service experience of my life. Have complied with all their requests for proof of purchase and serial number of modem. No response from anyone. We called and called and have to start the process all over again. These people truly do not know what they are doing. I would hope the owners of Netgear would realize the path they're on for customer service is truly horrible. Will NEVER purchase a Netgear product again. The owners need to stand by their product and they don't.

Original review: March 24, 2022

We purchased a WiFi Router NETGEAR. We subsequently purchased a 2 year warranty as well. We had troubles with the device about a year later. When we contacted the company to see what they could do, we were told the warranty ONLY covered a replacement. If we wanted a rep to check the device for issues we would need to pay almost 100 dollars for them to investigate. I think that covers the problem.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I ordered an Orbi 960 router and 2 satellites overnight shipment. I ordered everything overnight as my current router failed and my wife works from home. When they arrived, I spent about 3 hours setting them up. The router could not see the satellites. So then I spent another 3 hours talking to tech support. It was determined the equipment was bad and all 3 pieces would be replaced. It was supposed to be sent overnight. It arrived 2 days later. It was the wrong color and they just sent the router, no satellites. I called the company and they refused to correct their mistake until I shipped their replacement back first, adding more time to the wait. I asked to speak to a manager/supervisor and the technician refused. As a result, I canceled my order. I will never buy a single thing from Netgear again when there is an alternative product available

Original review: March 16, 2022

I purchased the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router for my first home. The service provider in the area was Spectrum, and the NETGEAR box said Spectrum was compatible. I hooked everything up and started having slow internet to no internet within the first month. Getting 32mbps when paying for 200. I thought it was a Spectrum issue, not a NETGEAR issue, so I had Spectrum come out to my property to check the line connection (which I paid for). They told me the lines were "re-cleaned" and everything should be fine again. However, the following month, I called Spectrum back again because the issue was not resolved. They had me unplug and re-plug the cord back into the wall for a reset. This happened almost every single month for an entire year.

Finally Spectrum told me it was not a problem on their end but that they think it had something to do with my NETGEAR Nighthawk. I couldn't believe it because it was a brand new Modem Router that was top of the line at the store that advertised compatibility with Spectrum. I ended up getting an Arris to see if it was indeed an issue with my NETGEAR Nighthawk, and it was. The Arris worked getting us connect way over the 200 Mbps I am paying for. I have not had any issues with my internet since making the change. So it was NOT a Spectrum issue, it was a NETGEAR issue.

I've had the Arris now for 2 months and am loving it. I did call NETGEAR about my issue and they told me I missed the return policy by a few days and wouldn't help me after a 48 minute WASTED phone call with customer service. I had forgotten to register my NETGEAR product when I purchased it, so when I was speaking with the customer service representative, they registered it for me but wouldn't help me as a new customer. I tried explaining the situation to Best Buy - where I purchased the NETGEAR Nighthawk, but Best Buy said it was past their return policy.

Now I have wasted over $219.99 on a product that simply was not compatible with my service provider in which they advertise they work with and where the hardware may have technical issues. Not a happy customer and wanted to make everyone aware of my issue so they don't have the same. I found out a friend of mine in the area had the same issue and switched over to an Arris and haven't had any issues since as well. I will NOT purchase a NETGEAR product ever again. The product is trash and their customer service was even worse.

Original review: March 11, 2022

This is my 4th attempt calling and waiting for support generally 1 hour. Tried trouble shooting on our own after support service was not available. On the phone with customer service last night for 4 hours and person was not confident in trouble shooting. Did a reset of the router and the next day same issue. I pay for 200 mbps download connected to the ethernet with over 200 with WIFI router 7. This is absurd and frustrating as I lost valuable time studying and work. Please don't waste your time and purchase this product. You will not get the support customers deserve. I'm still waiting on the phone for assistance from 5:00pm and it's not 6:30pm. Very disappointed.

Netgear Company Information