Netgear
1.08/5
  • 1 star
Based on 66 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Netgear

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

153 Netgear Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have internet connectivity issues and Netgear is holding me hostage. They wont allow me to get on the web until I give them $140 per year for technical support from the manufacture. What gets me is that we have already determined that it's not even the Netgear hardware. They want to charge me to reconfigure the network settings. What a rip. The support person said that even if I go and buy a new modem and router the problem will still persist. This is after I have them tons of pertinent information about me and 45 minutes of my time. If they are serious and a new device won't work, then that means these guys are hacking me.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I called Netgear because I had an old iPad that kept freezing up and rebooting and I wanted a recommendation for a faster router. I was told that I did not need a faster router and they could fix the IPAD problem through my current router for $130.00. I question how they could do this and they guaranteed they could. The $130.00 turned out to be $139.99 subscription to NETGEAR Gearhead service. The IPAD problem was not fixed and I called the next day as per their agreement for a refund. All they did was upgrade the firmware in my router.

I was told after speaking to 3 people that I might get a partial refund after they investigate and go over the recording of my telephone call. The women told me that the technician had marked down that the problem was fixed. I should have known better that they were lying about fixing a problem with on old IPAD. I am waiting for a review when they told me I would be informed by email after their investigation for a partial or full refund... I will probably just dispute the amount on my charge card.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Terrible customer service experience with 3 representatives from Netgear. The first, "service person number **", was so rude that we felt we could not continue the call. We asked to speak with someone else and she claimed that no one else was available to speak with us. So, we hung up and called back. Next we spoke with "Zamir", who tried to sell us a new customer support warranty. He told us if there was any way for us to troubleshoot the issue ourselves, he would have told us that. However, at the end of the conversation when it became clear we were not planning to buy the new warranty, "Zamir" said he would email us troubleshooting instructions. That email never came. Twenty minutes later we called back and spoke with a third customer service representative, to confirm our email address, and we are currently on with that person now. This has been an incredible waste of time with people who are not helpful.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

BEWARE of which number you dial! I was almost scammed when I dialed ** for Netgear Router tech support when my Wifi went out. I was told my Wifi account had been blocked due to "suspicious activity" in Mexico and it would cost me for the protection plan. When I inquired about the by whom, what, where's etc. and abruptly ended the call, he proceeded to tell me getting a new router would not help.

I then called the "real" Netgear to get it working properly (took 15 minutes), re-registered the product online, called back the scam artists to let them know they are being reported to the BBB wherein he hung up on me although shortly thereafter I received a polite voicemail message saying they would like to resolve my problem (from **). On a side note, real Netgear did indicate that I needed an "upgrade" since I was beyond their 90 days of free tech support which I declined. Kind of irritating that I had to call anyway since my router is only a year old. It remains to be seen if fake Netgear did any damage to my computer but lets hope not. Hope this helps others. :)

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have spent over 6 hours on the phone trying to get my TV to work using Netgear products. Now my computer does not work, nothing works after Netgear customer service had me do all kinds of things to get their product to work. I am currently on hold again, now I have been holding this time for 42 minutes, still no help. I am returning this product and reporting them to the BBB. Worst service ever. Do not waste your money and most of all your time and sanity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have several Netgear VueZone wireless security cameras around my house. They were working great. I paid $50 per year to have the entire system backed up on their website. I could go back 2-4 months on each camera seeing snapshots or video of when the motion detector in the camera triggered a shot. I could access the five cameras at any time from my iPhone. If someone came to the door, I could touch the app on my phone to see who was at the door. I could also check the backdoor or view the driveway depending on which camera I selected. Then I got a notification from Netgear that my annual payment was due.

I had been ignoring my security cameras for a month. I paid and then discovered that Netgear VueZone no longer worked with my iPhone because of the iPhone software iOS upgrade to 11 and then I find that Netgear actually says they are not going to change their software to keep it compatible for iPhone. Then I find that the online storage is not working correctly either. At this moment none of my cameras are connected to the online backup but I have touched nothing in my house. Only explanation is that the commercial power flickered without the TV losing picture but the lights blinked.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Never had an issue until 3 days ago - trying to connect to Xbox, entering into a game, 3 secs it's lagging then kicking me out. Calling customer service was a complete and utter JOKE, having to wait on hold for sometimes longer than 20 minutes, the reps want to argue with you, trying to make you feel stupid, like you have no idea what you are talking about. They then instead of trying to resolve the issue, free. They offered me, if I pay $50.00 they will help me out, but if I dont, I was SOL. So, after wasting literally over 3 hours of my Saturday morning... I have concluded that Netgear should NOT be in business.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I purchased my Netgear #R 6220 a few days ago. I spent 2 days TRYING to set it up. Got it to work on my desktop but Nothing else. And the signal was worse than I already had. Called tech support. Their ONLY job is Not to help you, but to sell you a hacking security package for between $249- $1500. I got NO help. When I finally got them to understand I can afford any of their options he redirected my call to the first person I had spoken with. After being on hold for several minutes an automated operator chimed in to tell me the number I was trying to reach was no longer in service!! So in closing that's 2 hours out of my life I'll never get back. Going back to Best Buy today to return this piece of crap.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Router purchase didn't use for approx. 6 mo. Needed help setting up. Box said 24/7 support. Found out only good for 90 days. Only way they would fix was to buy tech support plan. I paid 89 despite telling them I had tech support somewhere else. I couldn't believe their treatment and disregard for someone who purchased their product. Definite accent barrier. Product light broke and so this was not covered.

Told didn't make a difference. What? Deeply harassed about re-signing up for tech support. No way but story doesn't end here. I had to buy a modem and wanted to avoid this co but product compatibility forced me to purchase. No phone number on carton and I couldn't get on internet for help w/o router. Finally found number from ist purchase and got help but it was awful and harassed again to purchase tech plan. This company is terrible and I would avoid at all costs because it will cost you!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I will never, ever buy Netgear again. I paid $300 for a router. My power went out and I could not find my network any longer and I could not figure out how to fix it. I called tech support. Apparently you have to pay someone over there for support before if you have had your product more than $90 days. And the cheapest option is $50! $50 for one time support! I could have paid $90 for 6 months or $200 for two years!!! What kind of scam is that? I have use other brands and have not had to pay for support and I called them all the time. If I pay $300 for a router, I expect some service for the occasional time my router goes out and I cannot figure out how to set it back up. By the way, the fix literally took 1 minute. If my router goes out again, I would literally rather buy another brand's router for $300 than give Netgear another dime. Never, ever again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Netgear AC1750 router modem. Product defective after 10 months. Still under warranty. Also have protection plan. Bought from Staples. Protection plan only kicks in after warranty expires in one year. Two year plan but runs concurrently with warranty. Customer service is outsourced to people who cannot speak English clearly. Serial number of product is missing but have receipt. Netgear rep. asked for the serial number 10 times and was told each time it was missing. Could not explain any process for replacing a defective product still under warranty. Protection plan would not cover it because still under warranty. Second Netgear router that has failed. The warranty from this company is worthless. The consumer protection plan is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have AT&T provided internet, and did have their modem along with a Linksys router. I replaced the modem with the Netgear. Everything works well until the power goes out, which has happened frequently. When it does, Netgear refuses to recognize the router. Netgear tech support (heavy accents, hard to understand) got it working, until after 90 days. Now they want big money to make their product recognize my router. This is unreasonable. Nor can they teach me how to do it. NEVER will buy Netgear again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

This router is absolute cancer. Every time I use the extender and my wifi at home, there is always a problem. I go onto the extender and it always logs on but then turns off and I have to repeat the process of turning it back on in settings. This retarded product is a brain tumor and has been driving me crazy. I can't believe this thief of a company would take people's money in return for a bs wifi system. I will definitely get a router from another company that isn't a failure and scam. Netgear extender is just a living pain. I would recommend this extender to people that want to destroy stuff because I have been close to throwing this in the garbage where it belongs, enough said. If this is never fixed, good luck with selling this piece of trash.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I purchased a Netgear router. Paid $250. Had it for 8 months. Wifi quit working. Called to get help and they said it would cost $139 just to tell me what to do. Very dissatisfied. This company is a Scam. Do not buy Netgear Products.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I too had a problem with my router after Spectrum had a power outage. My router was less than a year old. When I called they wanted $100.00 to fix what I finally figured out and took me 5 minutes. Because of the very strong accent of the lady on the phone, I could hardly understand her. Even if I did sign up, I wouldn't have been able to understand her anyway. Will never purchase a Netgear product again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Wireless just went on it so tried to contact support. hahaha. That went well, NOT. Had to contact Best Buy to even locate a number. Then I find out that the phone help expired. I still have a little over a month warranty left on the product, but no way to get info how to replace it. I tried to put my issue in their complaint box. It only takes 150 characters, which is not enough. Then they issue you a case number that you have to call with (remember phone help is only valid for 90 days unless you purchase premium). SOOO, I had to go out and buy another router. This one is trash bound. DO NOT PURCHASE NETGEAR (AC1750). I bought ASUS this time.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Absolutely horrible customer service and product quality. We purchased the Nighthawk router specifically for gaming and about 8 months in we cannot sign into PSN. Called to figure out the problem and was told they could figure it out but since we were past our 90 days we had to pay an additional fee (about 130.00) for them to tell us the problem. After talking to three different people, the last a supervisor, and being told the same thing we came to the conclusion... do NOT waste your time with NETGEAR. It's a scam. Waste of money and time. So we will throwing out this piece of garbage and buying another router from a better company. I hope this review prevents someone else from wasting their time with NETGEAR.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Probably the most inconsiderate "do nothing" company I have ever dealt with. They sent out a message saying to update their router. Several of us tried to use their directions and were unable to connect. I wrote their consumer help group, not once, twice, three but four times without a response from these jerks. If this router were not new, I would bash the freaking thing to pieces and sent it to San Jose. Piece of crap.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We bought a WiFi router hoping to expand our range. After several months and continuously resetting it. We gave up. A year later we got a different WiFi service and thought we’d try again. After many more hours and $89.99 for “Customer Care” we tried again, only to be constantly kicked off. They guaranteed if they couldn’t fix the problem or refund the charge. Unfortunately, they did not fix the product, or refund the money. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Just hung up the phone with what I thought was NetGear support. Turns out it's “Gearhead” support and the price was $139.99 for a “subscription”. I did not need a subscription but rather just needed the firmware update rolled back that was installed on my Wi-Fi extender which was offered by Netgear. This is nothing more than “ransom ware” where they download code to your hardware and it screws your device up so you need to call them for “support” and they charge you for it. I think the California Attorney General would like to know about their policy. 100% scam and tells me all I need to know about the company and their products. This is the last device I will buy from them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Over time I have tried to get tech support from Netgear. They were a dependable company, but no more. It is impossible to get to talk to someone about a problem with their Arlo camera system. I am finished with Netgear products.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK!!! I just expected with a brand with the recognition of Netgear I would get a router that worked. This hunk of plastic throttles my Ethernet bandwidth, and even though Netgear support is very friendly, they could not help me. I was using the router to get wifi as my Spectrum modem is ethernet only. I plug my laptop into my modem and get speeds of 70mbps++. As soon as I plug it into the Netgear WNR2000v5 router it drops to 35mpbs... both wired.

I have tried everything, swapping cables, changing MTU settings, removing all other devices from the network, upgrading, rolling back the firmware, factory reset. Netgear even sent me a replacement (I had to pay the shipping) and same problem. It's a firmware issue that they cannot fix. I am already over $50 into this thing and I am just going to give up and get a D Link or other router. Save yourself the hassle and don't buy this router. After this I won't buy anything from Netgear again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I called in to cancel a subscription for the Arlo camera system iCloud that I have never used. In fact have written off my 400.00 dollar Arlo cameras as being crap. Trying to cancel the subscription to their cloud at 14.99 has been all but impossible. When the lady in customer service transfers me to the secondary person in charge of canceling subscriptions they reply in a foreign language and when asked for someone that speaks English they sit silently without doing anything. They mumble and avoid direct conversation as quietly as they can.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Purchased two NetGear X8 R8500 Routers. Both Routers failed almost two days after plugging them in the wall sockets. The power light remained amber and the routers will boot. Both units sent back to NetGear and replaced with new ones. Same problem occurred. Both routers are on their way back to NetGear. They seem to have problem with these routers but are not telling the customers.

Original review: July 25, 2017

The support № wasn't even on their website, I had to search for it online. Then, I am told that you only get 90 days of tech support! But, the № said, you could connect to their premium line and get support either IF it is a hardware issue, or IF you pay them a lot. Thinking it might be a hardware issue I connected. The lady was nice at first, and told me it was not a hardware issue, but then kept giving me advice on fixing it. I simply thought she was being nice and that they were less strict on their rules than they had made themselves out to be.

Then she started asking how I wanted to pay, in order for us to move forward, at which point I said I was done and would figure the rest out on my own. This was when she started yelling at me, that it was a premium line I had connected to and that I had to pay. Now, I would have hung up, but since I already had seen that she had my name and email, and that she had the ability to restart my router, I was a bit worried about what might happen if I hung up. Eventually she let me go without paying the $200 fee to receive support.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I had a bad experience yesterday with Netgear customer support. I was trying to replace a rented Comcast cable modem with an Arris cable modem that I purchased. The Arris cable modem did not work with my Netgear wireless router, so I called Netgear for support. After a lengthy discussion involving all sorts of information about the problem, the Netgear support person (who had a strong Indian accent) said she could fix the problem by remotely changing configuration settings in the Netgear router. But because the Netgear router was out of warranty, I would have to purchase a service contract of $140 for one year or $230 for two years.

She said that I could not go back to using the Comcast cable modem because I had already connected the Arris cable modem to the Netgear router, which automatically changed some of the configuration settings, so I would need to have Netgear change the rest of the settings to make the wireless Internet connections work. I told her that I was not interested in paying $140 or $230 and would go back to using the Comcast cable modem. She would not stop talking about how that was not possible, so I had to hang up on her. Her statements about being stuck in the middle and needing to have Netgear change configuration settings were simply LIES to get me to purchase a service contract. I reconnected the Comcast cable modem, and it works just fine. The level of DESPERATION and LIES that I experienced from Netgear customer support were astonishing.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I bought a Netgear router 2 years ago. It was supposed to be a good brand that would last 3 to 5 years. It's year two and there is a problem with the router. I called Netgear, waited 30 min. to talk to a representative and after they insisted on asking a bunch of info, another 30 min. They finally told me their high end router that should last years only has a 90 service warranty and I would have to pay, a lot, to use their service dept. All the router needed is a software update and they won't do it. Wow, spend big money on their product and cannot even get a software update. They want to charge you big $$ for a simple update. Buyer BEWARE! Netgear is not worth it. I called Comcast and they are coming tomorrow to install their router with "free" updates/service!

Original review: July 17, 2017

If you're looking for a fast and reliable wi-fi experience, then Netgear is definitely not for you. This week, I had an issue with the Netgear router. It was slow and sometimes crashed for no apparent reason. We called their tech support and they said that they could repair it and offer a one-year warranty for a ridiculous fee. They don't even offer any troubleshooting tips and we couldn't search how to troubleshoot because of the damned wi-fi.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I called my cable provider as I was getting poor network, they sent me to Netgear as it was a router problem. Netgear would not help me unless I paid them a large amount of money. I explained that I did not buy my router. It was something my cable company put in but they still insisted that I pay for help. To top it all off I told the customer service person I could not understand what they were telling me due to their accent and asked a # of times for a new support person I could understand and they would not transfer me to one, be just sat on the lone breathing onto the phone, when asked he would just start talking again and I would tell him, "I can't understand you." I was on this call for over a 45 mins and got nothing resolved... going to the cable company for new router tomorrow (not Netgear) plus it be cheaper to get a new one.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Called Netgear because my default password set by Netgear was not working. So I called. Was told the router I had purchased was not mine but they could still help me for $49.99. Asked them why I should pay for a firmware that was not caused by anything I did but by their product and got no answer. I hung. Called again. Got a lady who said the same thing and told her I was not paying $49.99 when I know it's firmware issue. So I proceeded to go into the router settings and found a firmware update for 4 security issues with passwords. A 30-minute phone telling me I am wrong and to pay them because I broke the router... The firmware update I had to find on my own through troubleshooting. Took 2 minutes. My router was also just over $50 and I asked why should I not just go buy a new router and the best answer I got was "Because I can fix now. You just have to pay us". So I finally said "** you. I'll handle it myself."

Netgear Company Information

NetGear
www.netgear.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use