1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

224 Netgear Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My NetGear NightHawk router won't work unless "disable port scan and dos protection" is checked and that makes for a severe security breach. They think this is not a problem. Very difficult customer service. Also, cannot connect a VPN service. Recommend anyone else but NetGear for a router/modem.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Firstly, I know my way around routers, it's not my first rodeo. That doesn't mean I'm incapable of being stoopid, just that technically and practically, I have a great deal of experience. My router is 8 months old and started to develop a fault with the wireless channels. The only solution was to do a full factory reset of the device which became necessary on a daily basis, sometimes more than once. Netgear only provide 90 days "premium support" so I initiated a replacement online under warranty (12 months). You then have to phone them with a case number, which I did.

The upshot was that they wouldn't replace the unit unless I had gone through a rigorous fault-finding process (fair enough) but here's the rub - to go through that process meant signing-up for "premium support" and, basically, an extended warranty package. I'm not even sure that's legal here under UK consumer law? Anyway, very, very unhappy with Netgear support which, frankly is utterly, utterly useless! Fortunately I'd made the purchase from Amazon and one phone call later a replacement unit is due to be delivered tomorrow. Netgear products are basically good and I've been using them for years but customer service, forget it I'm afraid!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Worst customer service I’ve ever received from the tech support section. They treated me like I was inconveniencing them with my phone call and that I was stupid for not knowing how to fix my router. They then tried to tell me I had to extend my warranty or else they were hanging up. I ended up fixing it myself with no thanks to Netgear.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Being in business I know customer support is what counts. For Christmas my wife bought me a six camera Arlo camera system. The system came from HSN. The camera set up was very easy. They worked fine. Nothing special but served their purpose. After being hooked up for two hours I received a notice that three of the cameras had very low batteries. I ordered 24 new batteries from Amazon but then got annoyed. The cameras are two hours old. I called HSN...no help. I then called Netgear.

Mistake number two. I could not even imagine that it would take almost an hour to get eight batteries that they can see are dead from logging on to my account. The funny part of my two hour old cameras is the third of six cameras was weak but didnt need a new battery yet. It was by far the longest and most incompetent conversation I ever had. The person who was not from the USA and very hard to understand said I only need batteries for two cameras since the third one was not dead yet. Pretty funny.

I purchased two other sets for my cottage and our Buick GMC dealership just so we can look at it on our cell phones. Even though our other properties have hard wired security we used these as backup and they really are easy to use. But after an hour I cant stop laughing that a company this large would pay someone in another country for one full hour to send me eight batteries that are 12 dollars on Amazon. If Netgear was my company it would be the last day for the board and CEO. Can they be that out of the loop that they dont know this is going on...and if they do they shouldnt be there. Period.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My router was about 6 months old when it started dropping service. My service provider replaced everything up to the router. When I called for support, the service representative led me 2/3 of the way through the remedy, then told me he couldn't finish unless I ponied up the $$ for a service agreement. I had some choice words for him, refused to pay, and was told I would be sent an instruction sheet to complete the process myself. The link was a dead end. I will never buy from this company again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

While trying to use the R6220 router as a wifi extender from the R8000 as a base station, we had difficulties. After Netgear support determined the R6220 was defective they replaced it. When we attempted the same thing again we had a similar problem, could not access router through router login.net. After several technicians we were able to reset and try to program as an extender. The technician/supervisor told me this could not be done, with their gear. I let them access my computer through Teamviewer.

While discussing this and telling the technician that netter's website has an article on how to accomplish this I pulled up the webpage. She continued to claim it could not be done. I asked that she elevate to the next level of support and she refused. They truly are the worst customer support company I have ever dealt with. As a result I will never purchase Netgear products again. Furthermore having customer support in a foreign country that supports a predominantly English speaking demographic is just plain stupid. Netgear really needs to clean up there act.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Bought expensive Nighthawk router. Never quite worked. Could not return to store due to 14 day policy. Netgear rude, gave us run-around and phony phone number to speak to customer service. We have phoned them repeatedly for a refund. We needed a router immediately and Netgear could not get us another for an extended time so we had to purchase another router. Bad service. Nasty reps.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

December 16, 2018. Very disappointed. It wasn't hooking up right, so I contacted customer support. I spoke with an Indian gentleman named Patrick, who proceeded to try and sell me super anti spyware for almost $300. Stating that he could not help me until I made this purchase. I looked into it and it seems it really sells for about $49.00. Needless to say I did not buy the spyware and returned the range extender. Very disappointed that customer service would try and extort money. Should be noted that the customer service was for Netgear not Amazon.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased the Arlo home security system less than a year ago however, the outside solar panel stopped working. Their customer service/ support is the worst ever experienced. 2 hours on the phone yesterday, and some 3 hours again today. No supervisor or manager available to expedite warranty replacement. I would not recommend this product based upon their customer service and, the lack thereof. Once they have your money, it's yours, they could care less if their equipment is defective, no returns, no replacement, nada, zero.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk x8 router and it drops my internet service several times each day. To be sure it is the router I took my computer in to Microsoft for examination and had my internet service provider to my home 4 times. I even changed the cables to the router and of course rebooted in numerous times. Upon talking with Netgear they wanted more money to back up their product which was only 6 months old. Poor product and horrible service. That's Netgear.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Router was hacked three times in the same day even though I followed the recommended security measures. My router was even hacked when I was on the phone with technical support. Uneven internet quality with tons of interference. I would not recommend Netgear to anyone. They are poorly run company with poor customer service selling a product that doesn't do the job. Netgear is poor value for the money.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I did my research (or so I thought) & purchased the extender to push the wifi to a room on the other side of the garage. I was assured it would work. After trying myself, I knew I was close but needed some extra help. OMG - worse support ever - 'Patrick' said he could help but after 10 mins I knew where it was going - sell a FIREWALL to me which was NOT necessary etc etc. I am returning it to the store & will never buy Netgear again. Shame on them... Used to be a good company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Here in Arkansas we can use non-winning scratch-offs to get free stuff. I decided to go with a free WIFI extender. It was a POS nonetheless. So I went online and went with a Netgear extender only because it was listed as one of the top 5 best ones. I went with the EX2700 because it was affordable. I got it in the mail and hooked it right up, no problems at all. It worked great for about 4 or 5 months! All of a sudden during the overnight hours it just quit working. Nobody could connect through the extender. I tried troubleshooting through my iPhone and my laptop. Nothing! I kept being brought to a log in page that I've never seen before. I followed all the steps and it would just take me right back to the log in page.

On Thanksgiving Day I tried one more time to no avail. So I connect through a live chat to diagnose and fix the problem. I'm told that a technician by the name of Kevin is going to call me back within the next 10 minutes, which he did. Half an hour later I was told that I had this entire list of IP's that weren't ours through our internet connection, and that somebody that was on our connection had been clicking on ** or something, and our extender's firewall had been compromised. The technician gained access of my laptop to show me all these IP's that showed up that wasn't ours. An hour later he tells me he can fix it, but that it would cost me $99, but I'd no longer have any issues with it.

I said I can't pay $99 right now; it's coming up Christmas time for hell's sake. He said not to worry. He'll go ahead and fix it if I'd commit to a date of when I can pay. No credit card numbers were exchanged, just a "support team notepad" where I listed my name, phone number, and address for when he'd call me back between Jan 10th - 15th, and at that time I could pay the $99. MInd you, this "Kevin" guy was obviously not from here in America, and had that India accent.

Once we hung up the extender was working again, but in the meantime I've been doing my own research about my own Windows Firewall, and I don't even need their fix of my firewall. It's working just fine where it is, on my laptop, and through our internet connection. Our ISP also has a firewall that has always been there, and nothing has been compromised on their end. Needless to say, I will not be paying the $99 and I will be letting Mr. Kevin know what I found out while he's been awaiting the day to take $99 from me. Not happening sucka!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

After an hour talking to someone in India stating he would not charge me, he would not change the channel on my router till I agreed to a 6 month-2 year mandatory contract for repair. No matter how is told him his service was not free, as he said it was, if he would not configure my router to activate the router unless I give him my credit card information for one of the above contracts. What he did he said is good forever. I don’t know that he reconfigured anything. He claims it stopped working due to a storm or reconfiguration from Spectrum. I called them first, and they had not done anything differently. It cost me more to have him push a button than it did for the router. They hold you hostage. I should have said forget it and bought a new one of another brand. Two hours of nothing but hard sell.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Fairly new Nighthawk not working correctly after updates. I have been told by my internet provider there were updates from Netgear to the router that my internet no longer supports. I cannot get enough bandwidth and usage. The updates are horrible not supporting the router usage. Freezing on all devices running at 1.50 to 3.85Mbps when I've had 15Mbps for years. The router is no longer able to function for the service I bought it for due to updates.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I could not get this product to work and just called the tech center and as always it was in India. The tech who picked up the phone, who barely spoke English wanted payments from me to clean up my IP and sell me router firewall for $200.00. I bought a $60 WiFi extender and have to spend $200.00 to work it. Please do not buy this product because they have a tech center in India will scam you just like all the other scam call example IRS and Microsoft. Stay away from these people. I am giving this product back to the store and buy a company that is reputable and have customer support center here in the USA. Watch out for Netgear AC1200 or any Netgear product who has its tech support in Scam India.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Do not purchase the Netgear R7000P! Purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P based on The Wirecutter's recommendation and installed it on July 12, 2018. By around September, the router was having issues with maintaining the WiFi connectivity (like many of the other reviews here), though ethernet connections continued functioning. I finally had enough on October 20th and decided to call a customer support representative after creating a support ticket on their website. After the rep determined that the product was defective, he informed me that they would RMA the item, and that I would just have to wait to receive the item before sending it back so that I could remain on the internet. I was also informed that I would have 10 days to return the defective product after receiving the new piece, or they would charge me the full price of the product.

However, that product never came. On November 25th, I called again to see what the issue was. The representative informed me that in order for the new product to get to me, I would have to first send out their defective device, leaving me without internet for an undetermined period of time. The rep informed me that I could pay in order to continue using their shoddy product while they sent me a replacement. Utterly ridiculous. They want to charge me 15 dollars so I can continue using their defective garbage while they send me a replacement.

The whole reason for this fiasco is because their product failed after less than even a year. Forcing me to go through this additional trouble and then CHARGING me for it is just unthinkable. Clearly, the rep was just doing his job, but NetGear currently has an abhorrent policy and the worst router I have used in a while. I will not be purchasing another piece of NetGear equipment if I can help it. And I will inform my friends and family to do the same. I don't know how their products have such great reviews online, but it seems recently others have been encountering similar issues.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Besides false claims on battery longevity, Netgear's Arlo wireless service is an exercise in frustration when it comes to honoring their warranty. One year ago I bought an Arlo Pro (camera 1) and needed to expand the area to cover with cameras. I then bought a refurbished Arlo Pro (let’s call it 2) at Fry’s beginning of September, set it up and left for a trip. In one month I got no videos recorded on refurbished camera 2, which worked only in live mode when it wasn’t off Camera.

When the wireless camera 2 failed to recharge or work entirely, 2 months after purchased, I went to Fry’s where they told me to deal with Netgear for it.

It took 2 hours on the phone with someone that tried to say that our charging base wasn’t working but couldn’t keep that theory up when he was told that camera 1 works ok with it. Then he got the ok to write the return tickets that we couldn’t open on our email and returned it (at my own expense, per their phone instructions) going to Post Office returning ALL the parts, including battery and recharge cable and magnetic mount, not knowing what failed. We were not told in the phone otherwise.

Netgear returned only the camera, without battery and recharger and mount and screws. Nothing but camera shell. How does that correct camera 2’s problem? This was a self serving complete disregard for their customer’s interest. I feel ripped off and would NEVER buy another Netgear Arlo product ever again. If I could give their return policy a ZERO rating I would. The camera 1 work marginally, when it works, when not offline. The battery last 1 month, at most. What a frustratingly poorly designed system, just an expensive toy. Their wireless camera is good in there, but their warranty policy and customer service are poor.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I contacted Netgear technical support and I could not understand the person on the other end at Netgear. After 45 minutes of struggling to understand him my results were as follows. He sold me a service contract for $29.99 that would fix my problems and I would have Netgear support for a year. I agreed to the service contract and we proceeded with no results other than my router was defective and that because it was under warranty would be replaced. I received a new router 2 days later. Installed it and it's been working fine since.

Now the day after receiving my new router I checked my bank account and to my surprise I was charged the $29.99, but I had another charge for $89.98. To make this short I have contacted them enough time to have created 4 case numbers and they still have my money while all the time being told they would refund my money, and call me back with a reference number for that I'M NOT GETTING ANY CALLS AND MY BANK ACCOUNT IS LIGHT OVER $100.00. To summarize my experience I like the equipment but they are thieves and there is no such thing as customer service when it comes to Netgear.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

This has got to be the absolute worst customer service I have ever had trying to troubleshoot my Netgear Nighthawk router. I never write reviews, but feel that this needs to be addressed. I spent roughly 35 minutes just to try to get them to understand and input the serial number on the router correctly, and another 10 trying to get them to spell my name and email address correctly. I finally ended the call. Very frustrating. I will never buy another Netgear product again, due to the poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

This has to be the worst customer service technicians I have dealt with. I have to repeat everything many times and they just don't understand even their own product. They just muting me and asking for help on their own from someone else. I had a simple problem and it took more than an hour. I hope I don't have to take this router back because of poor customer service. I am dealing with complete ** who cannot understand the difference between USB and Ethernet.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Netgear extender purchased a year or two ago. Set up and function satisfactorily until recently. Now my android phone connects to internet via extended wifi but spouse's iPhone does not. Wireless connection to security cameras is failing. Online attempts to resolve found that there is a firmware update needed. Log on to extender required to review status, but this is not internet access so attempts to download update fails. Going to internet download successful, but installation failed. Back to sign on to extender and browse for update also fails. Also attempted using ethernet cable which presented its own issues. Customer support is not useful as all they want to do is sell service contract to manage all devices. They have apparently pushed something that caused an issue and now want annual contract to fix it. I am angry as hell and will never buy anything Netgear again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

An incompatible or faulty modem resulted in 2 calls to incompetents outsourced who disconnected when asked for their supervisor. After unnecessarily detailed paperwork, reached a competent engineer who insisted the real problem was network security and attempted to sell me a $149 contract, explaining the over $300 was the better value. The real business of Netgear is selling service contracts perhaps. In retrospect, the "tech engineer" cum boilerplate salesman used sales techniques to "show you" how you were corrupted and needed the plan. In fact, my computer works well and all I needed was an installation of a difficult modem. BEWARE OF NETGEAR. BEWARE OF EEN!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

After reading reviews on Netgear routers I decided to get one the Nighthawk AC1900. I had a problem at first but then corrected it. Lo and behold problems arises again later on down the road. So calling the customer service from the company. Instead of helping me resolve my issues with my router they insisted I get a service agreement since mine already expired (because it was a year old and warranty was only good for ninety days). I told them I refused to give them my credit card to buy a service agreement for 6 months at a whopping $90 (which is highway robbery). They told me there was nothing else they could do unless I got it. So, at that point the call ended. If that what you call customer service then they need to go out of business. Will never recommend or buy Netgear products again!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Netgear makes inferior products and offers the worst service I have ever had, from any company. Would never buy anything from this company again. I think they make inferior products on purpose to sell you their tech support.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My router justed stopped working after 1.5 yrs. I called the company and was told to buy a new one since it is passed the 1 year warranty. Worst customer service and company!! I was a firm believer and consumer until now. My family nor I will support this company anymore!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Netgear made my warranty exchange extremely difficult. I was forced to pay for shipping of their failed device back to them. I have never had to go through this with any other company. They hassled me through the entire process. Do not buy Netgear products.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

3 months after purchase, 1 camera went bad. Not too bad on return process. Now about 6 months after purchase, second camera went, new batteries, different location, etc were tried. Got an RMA BUT no new camera provided and still ongoing. RMA number but no return address. I have spent WAY too much time on this well over many hours for a $100 camera. I cancelled my home monitoring and currently on phone to try again. Do not recommend Arlo due to poor customer service and very difficult to even find support number.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Horrible. To resolve a simple issue due to the product malfunction they want to charge me $49.99 or sell their warranty. Last time I am buying anything from Netgear. Especially, when the problem is THEIR OWN PRODUCT.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have had this router less than a year 2018. WiFi overheats and reboots on all three bands 2.4G, 5G, and 6G. Once or twice a daily. This isn't signal strength or wireless interference from some other networks. WAN Interface and Ethernet ports stay active and working fine. Not sure how I can have a hardware warranty until 2/5/2019 to RMA at cost me, but no Phone Support, Chat Support, Email Support. This would require an additional contract purchase for a service extension (Really). They definitely don't stand behind their products with a solid warranty! If you have to buy a Netgear products buy through Costco as they stand behind their product with 2 year with return policy to store for full refund as Netgear won't. Otherwise, stay away from clearly poor design and manufacturing product.

Netgear Company Information