2. Miscellaneous

Netgear

Netgear
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

Netgear Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netgear?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Stay away from Netgear. My extender was working fine for a year and then inexplicably stopped. A call to their tech support resulted in a promise to restore connectivity in exchange for a $60 fee. I gave them a piece of my mind, reminding them that I could buy a new extender with 90day warranty for the same price. To no avail, I promptly hung up and happily disposed of my extender. Horrible customer service for such an established company. I will not only never purchase another Netgear product for my personal use, but have also instructed my IT dept to cease purchases of Netgear products for any application.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I was transferred 11 times on my first attempt to contact phone support, finally I gave up and tried chat support, but they kept telling me that I need to hold for a specialist to join, which never happened. I finally just returned the 3 products I had purchased and bought a competitor's product. I have had no issues since I made my return. I will not be buying any more Netgear products or recommended them to anyone I come in contact with.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

For the first 6 months of using this router, I had no issues. But one day out of nowhere, the router begins to shut down and restart itself multiple times a day. This continued for a few days before I called my internet provider and had them come out to check for any issues. They confirmed my suspicions, that the problem was the router and told me that I would need to contact NETGEAR. So, the next day when I had time, I called NETGEAR to seek some support. Turns out they wouldn’t even talk to me unless I paid a minimum of $89 for 6 months of “GEARHEAD support” (This was their cheapest option). Desperate to get my WIFI working properly again, I paid the money and started to work with a technician to resolve my issue.

They walked me through a few things to check, even gained remote access to my computer so they could try to troubleshoot the problem themselves. After two LONG hours on the phone, they could not resolve the issue and said that they would send a replacement instead. I agreed. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that I had to pay for the shipping of the replacement router, which cost me $16. A week later I received the replacement router. Eager to finally have working WIFI, I quickly opened to box, only to find that it was a refurbished router. I could tell this because it had none of the original packaging and had scratches all over the face.

I then commenced to set up the router. In the set-up process, everything seemed to be working fine, I was even able to detect the WIFI on my devices. Until I tried to load something on a device and discovered that it was picking up WIFI but not connecting to the internet. At this point I was baffled and extremely annoyed. I had no choice but to call NETGEAR for more support.

After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes, someone finally picked up and began trying to help. I again gave them remote access to my computer and let them try to troubleshoot. They tried many different things but could not get it to connect. After about an hour and half on the phone, out of nowhere, I was disconnected. (If this happens, they are supposed to call back in under a minute). I waited and waited. After 15 minutes, it was apparent that the technician was frustrated that they could not fix the issue and just hung up on me. So, I had no choice but to call back.

I AGAIN waited on hold for 45 minutes until someone picked up. I AGAIN had to go through the whole explanation of what was wrong and AGAIN gave them remote access to my computer. They tried everything they could to get it working, but no luck and AGAIN told me they would send a replacement. I told them I would NOT pay for shipping this time because it is ridiculous that they sent me a broken “refurbished” router. They agreed and sent me the info to order another replacement. Little did I realize, they charged me another $16 for shipping without my consent.

After waiting ANOTHER week with no WIFI, I finally received the 2nd replacement. I quickly opened the box to find that they finally sent a brand-new router. At this point I was optimistic. What are the odds that a 3rd router would not work properly, right? So, I went through the set-up process again. (At this point I was an expert because of the amount of times I tried the set-up or re-set-up.) With no apparent issues, the router was set up and I finally had working WIFI. About an hour later, go figure, the router shuts itself off and restarts! The same exact issue that started this whole debacle!

After spending over $120 for “GEARHEAD support” and shipping charges, I still do NOT have a working router. After spending over 8 hours of my life on the phone with “GEARHEAD support”, I still do NOT have a working router. After waiting for almost a month without WIFI, I still do NOT have a working router. I am beyond pissed, disappointed and defeated. At this point I refuse to give these people any more of my time and money. I have NEVER experienced WORSE customer service in my life. Especially when I had to pay extra money to get that service. I do NOT recommend NETGEAR routers to anyone and I ESPECIALLY do NOT recommend paying for GEARHEAD support. They have cost me more money and more headache than I could ever imagine.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Netgear charged me a Tech Support charge when my router just stopped working, although my netgear router was less than 12 months old. I Had to pay $59 for netgear to even talk to me. They remotely "updated" my router and fixed it in less than 1 minute. 6 months later I had another $59 charge that appeared on my credit card. I called netgear and spoke with someone from India, that I could barely understand, they said Netgear would refund my charge since I didn't sign up for or agree to a auto pay for tech support. Then I was hung up on.

I called back and gave them the claim number given to me after I paid &59, and tried to pick up where I was hung up on and now I was told I had to give them the serial number for a refund although the first representative saw the charge and said it was set up as an auto payment and it would be canceled & refunded. Now the new customer rep was wanting the serial number off my router. I refused to give it since there was no reason as to why they needed it to refund a charge that they had already agreed was charged and agreed to refund.

After I refused to give the serial number I was hung up on again. I called back and same thing happened again. I disputed the charge on my CC card and after I received credit on my CC my router magically stopped working again. Netgear is a fraudulent company and buyers should consider a lawsuit in a court of law. Do not buy Netgear because they can control how it performs and purposely messes it up so you have to call them and then they charge you for tech support.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Called netgear support to help get my wifi extender working again. The tech Ricky at 800 319-8707 didn't tell me what he was doing, had me download files then remotely took over my computer, said I had virus and tried to get me to pay to fix it. I went to Best Buy and bought a Linksys wifi extender. Installed in 5 minutes and works great. Will never buy Netgear products again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

This thing is garbage. I'd give it negative stars if I could. I have gigabit-speed from Xfinity, and the max download I get for wired connections is 350Mbps...granted, that's not terrible, but just over 1/3 of what I should be getting. Wifi, however, is the biggest issue. Standing right next to the device gives a wide range of download speeds from 30Mbps-99Mbps, but 40Mbps most of the time. iPhone 11, laptop, it doesn't matter. Wifi is atrocious. Don't even think about going into another room, the signal falls even lower and sometimes disconnects completely.

After well over 8 hours of troubleshooting, then having Comcast come out to check on the line, Netgear finally, FINALLY, confirmed that the problem is with the device. It's been literally a week of troubleshooting and it hasn't worked since I purchased it. Netgear support is about the worst I've ever encountered. Every time I call, even if it's to follow up on one of the multiple case numbers they assigned to me (yes, they have assigned 4 case numbers for some reason), I have to re-invent the wheel with the tech. I've been disconnected 10 times, and every agent swears they will call if disconnected, and 0/10 have so far. Save your time. Save your money. Save your sanity. Look for a different device.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I have now been on the phone with them for 11 hours and 12 minutes. Straight. Most of the people I spoke to just hung up after mumbling some platitude. Some seemed to try and help but they have no knowledge about computers. One tried to extort money by telling me I was infected with a virus I wasn't infected with and then offering to solve it for $600. Too early in the morning to call a lawyer, but that's the next move. No legal commercial interaction with this bunch of individuals is possible. Issue is whether they have advertised VPN product ready for market, and whether they are prepared to treat in good faith.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I bought this Netgear modem/router AC1600 Model C6250 for $119.99 + $9.15 taxes [@ Target] and because a Degree in Advanced Engineering was Required I had a hard time installing it. NOW the thing does not connect to my [Dell] laptop. I had Xfinity/Comcast help me set it up but am having maddening problems with it. Called the Co and was told because the 90 COMPLEMENTARY Tech Support had already expired! They Demanded I purchase another Warranty Contract starting at the low price of [as they told me] $112.00!!! to extend warranty.

I am of the destitute retired! I cannot afford to spend another [large] sum of money to cover a FAULTY product. I will add it to my ever growing pile of 'Expensive Paper Weight(s)'! I suggest that you look at the 'complimentary tech support' statement BEFORE you buy this item. READ THE FINE PRINT because they will adhere to their Policy no matter what! I hope that this Review is reviewed by Consumer Affairs before it is posted so that I am within bounds of the required Guidelines. Am Hoping I have adhered to the guidelines as set forward for this review, if [I did] not, please advise me and I will take proper steps to make amends. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I Purchased Netgear modern and Router from Best Buy, called Spectrum to activate it, they did and they said they could see my modem was getting signals, but still was not able to use internet, Spectrum said it's something to do with modem and I need to call Netgear to fix the problem. I called them and was on hold for almost 20 minutes, then got connected with tech support in India, they are totally don't know what they are doing, they kept telling me to reboot the modem, I told them, I did already and they still telling me to do the same thing. And also they kept putting me on hold, I was with them on the phone for almost 40 minutes, I asked to be connected to the US support they totally refuse to do it. I had to call spectrum again and they said they see my modem is getting the signal and they can not do anything with Netgear modem.

I Googled how to do it. Luckily someone suggested to down load netgear app, I was able to set up everything (my router & Modem) by using the app. Dont waste your time to call them, Very poor customer service and they rarely help you with your problem. And if you cant figure it yourself, them download the app or dont buy it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

After contacting Netgear's "Tech support" I was told that I had to pay to get support to fix an issue with the wireless (known problem) even though it's not even 6 months old!! I have to constantly power-cycle the router to restore wireless performance!! Never will I buy a Netgear product again!!

Netgear Company Information