Netgear

Netgear

3.7/5 (613 ratings)

About Netgear

Netgear Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I bought Netgear Wifi Extender EX7300v2 in June last year. The product is still under warranty until June this year (2023). However, when the green power light keeps blinking, I contacted them (not easily) as the chat support, the phone support and the email support is only for the first 90 days. So after being able to get a support via their chatbot and doing some testing, without acknowledging directly that the product failed, the agent tried to give me an RMA.

I bought the unit at Amazon. After attaching the screenshot of the purchase, the agent informed me that I bought the unit from a non authorized seller. I don't understand what that has anything to do with a failed product, yet they are not supporting it. Please beware of buying product from this company even if the product is under warranty, if you don't buy from an "authorized seller" you might not get the product warranty even after you register the product. This company is basically not standing behind the quality of its products.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

I had been using Netgear routers for years. The first one I bought was great, and easy to set up with the app. Lasted 6-7 years. Finally upgraded to get a better coverage when we moved into a larger home. That had been a terrible experience. Completely died within 2 months. Got a replacement. And unless you wanna go without a router for 3 weeks, you have to pay for expedited shipping. That one, although working was nothing but problems. Required frequently power cycling and at least once a month required a factory reset.

Since their app is not working correctly anymore you have to that old school. But even that does not work well, and each reset became an hours long process. Would call "support". After the umpteenth time refusing the service plan of $130 (about the price of a new router) I told them that if I am gonna pay $130 I will take it to a competing company and get one that actually works as advertised. The company used to have its stuff together, but it seems like they are just trying to cash in on a reputation they earned a long time ago.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Netgear forces you to buy a tech package over the phone after they disable one of your routers, without cause, and then sign you up for a $90 recurring subscription without your permission. If you try to contact them, all of the customer service representatives are sitting in the same room and won't 1) get you in contact with a manager (none actually exist), 2) delete your account, 3) delete your payment information, 4) tell you have your information was set up for this charge in the first place. Their online portal also doesn't give you any of these options. Additionally, they promise to send follow up emails detailing your cancelation request but, surprise, none of them actually do.

If you look at any of their support sites or any general online forums regarding netgear, it becomes clear that this entire operation is fraudulent, as hundreds of "customers" have been scammed into the same services and trapped in relentless billing cycles. Their customer service representative clearly in on the entire scam.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

I purchase an Orbi satellite extender that was advertised as being compatible with my router. This purchase was made in July 2022 and just last week finally a tech member confirmed that this extender is not compatible with my current router. I paid almost $400 for this product. I called customer service and they regurgitated their weak 30day refund/return policy. My circumstances went well beyond the 30 days since tech members could not assist to ever get my extender working. I asked for a one time exception to the 30 days, they could easily see that I had calls into service on day two of me owning this product and several other calls as well. I was denied on the phone, asked to speak with a manager where I was told I was speaking to the highest level and when I became more agitated I was fed a falsified case number which promised to elevate my request.

Just this evening I received an email, from the initial customer service rep I spoke with that told me Netgear has no managers, denying my elevated case. This company has no understanding of customer service and because of this I will never purchase another product nor put my trust in a company that lies to its customers about elevating issues. Besides why would you want to trust a company that had no managerial over-site. Shame on you. Don’t trust this sham of a company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

I purchased a Netgear genie app which tuts out to be nothing more than a ripoff, it constantly not responding and must be rebooted quite often, please stay away from this company and all its products.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

Don’t pay for any service contract. I’ve wasted 5 hours and my WiFi is messed up worse than when I started. They leave me and promise to call back but don’t! A supervisor was supposed to call me 45 minutes ago and I’m still waiting. Do NOT buy a service contract. Who knows how long I’ll have to wait!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

My Nighthawk Router Modem Combo stopped working, so I called Netgear Support. The agent told me that if she was able to successfully get the unit working, I would be charged for a service plan ($139.99) but that I would NOT be charged if it was not operational while on the call. She charged my credit card before hanging up, saying it was going to work as soon as it finished re-booting. It did not. The unit was dead after less than two years. I called back and requested a refund. The associate said he would process it but it might take several days to appear on my credit card statement. After two weeks, I called back and explained the situation. Netgear is refusing the refund. They lied and defrauded me out of $139.99. Please don't support this company!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Purchased Netgear Orbi 3 pack of wifi mesh routers (from Costco thank goodness) and they worked at a 4 star level for nearly a year, pretty good but not great. Troubles started about 1 year in. For months I tried to resolve without resolution, issues were sporadic but had dozens of outages daily. In desperation I signed up for Gearhead support. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS. These are horrible people, some don't speak understandable English and in my opinion are miserable in their jobs and don't care about anything you (other than locking you in to the terms of their contract). Weeks and weeks went by with no return calls, you always have to go through Level 1 tech support - useless as always but wastes so much time!

Kept trying to reprogram Orbi settings with no success then blaming my internet service provider (had Xfinity Ultrafast switched to AT&T fiber - no help!). After 6 hours of AT&T install tech booting and rebooting Orbi routers, he gave up and hooked up the basic AT&T 3 router mesh system that cost $7/mo. That's the equivalent of 7+ years for what I purchased Orbi for and AT&T then provides free support whereas Gearhead support will stick you with a contract closer and if you don't cancel within 10 days you are truly stuck (hundreds extra dollars over 7 years). Don't use them...stay away...bad people....worst ever. I've never written a negative review before, I'm going across all channels to warn people - so bad!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

My wifi extender had got unplugged and I had a hard time getting it to work again so I called customer service. The woman told me I had to pay $99 in order to get it to work and she didn’t know that at the time I was talking to her it started working on everything except one tv in my house. So she decided to hang up on me. Of course I call back and get a man and he tells me everything is excellent before I say anything. They have the customer service set up as a scam and I will never call again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

After purchasing the MR80 WIFI Tri Band System that was supposedly a good purchase for our needs the equipment failed after 30 days of use. Spent numerous hours with support jumping through hoops to have them send a replacement unit as the original but they had to have me send back the failed piece before they would send the replacement which was not a part of the original agreement that they changed in the middle of the support handling. Now 37 days later the equipment failed again for the exact same reason as the original one, Exactly. I performed ALL the same tests that we did for the first receiving the same results. Called Netgear support as I am a Pro Customer and have several pieces of equipment with them and have NOT had the problems or the support issues that I am having with this.

Now after 1 hour on the call with 2 CSR jumping through hoops to get this handled I was informed by the CSR that it would be 2 business days before I would hear from 2nd Level Support on my issue, Pathetic. The CSR also informed me that because I/we purchased the device from Amazon which we did but from a 3rd Party that Sells Netgear they would only replace it with the same junk that I am having problems with. CSR also stated that because we did not purchase from Netgear they would not refund our purchase price. Again Pathetic, why would I want the same problem equipment so I can potentially go through the same situation with poor results? I informed the CSR that I would like to speak a Supervisor to which they gave me a whole lot of responses to avoid the escalation, again. Pathetic!

Now I am waiting on a call back from them and will it really be 2 days. I had to return to my Netgear equipment I was using in order to do my job as I work from home and need to be up and running and not waiting for Maybe's! As stated I have been using Netgear equipment for sometime but up until now my choices are turning to other options due to the Pathetical Treatment I have received from Netgear on this issue. Thank you ConsumerAffairs for getting this out to the user community. I do appreciate it.

Netgear Company Information