1.03/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

202 Netgear Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

An incompatible or faulty modem resulted in 2 calls to incompetents outsourced who disconnected when asked for their supervisor. After unnecessarily detailed paperwork, reached a competent engineer who insisted the real problem was network security and attempted to sell me a $149 contract, explaining the over $300 was the better value. The real business of Netgear is selling service contracts perhaps. In retrospect, the "tech engineer" cum boilerplate salesman used sales techniques to "show you" how you were corrupted and needed the plan. In fact, my computer works well and all I needed was an installation of a difficult modem. BEWARE OF NETGEAR. BEWARE OF EEN!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

After reading reviews on Netgear routers I decided to get one the Nighthawk AC1900. I had a problem at first but then corrected it. Lo and behold problems arises again later on down the road. So calling the customer service from the company. Instead of helping me resolve my issues with my router they insisted I get a service agreement since mine already expired (because it was a year old and warranty was only good for ninety days). I told them I refused to give them my credit card to buy a service agreement for 6 months at a whopping $90 (which is highway robbery). They told me there was nothing else they could do unless I got it. So, at that point the call ended. If that what you call customer service then they need to go out of business. Will never recommend or buy Netgear products again!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Netgear makes inferior products and offers the worst service I have ever had, from any company. Would never buy anything from this company again. I think they make inferior products on purpose to sell you their tech support.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My router justed stopped working after 1.5 yrs. I called the company and was told to buy a new one since it is passed the 1 year warranty. Worst customer service and company!! I was a firm believer and consumer until now. My family nor I will support this company anymore!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Netgear made my warranty exchange extremely difficult. I was forced to pay for shipping of their failed device back to them. I have never had to go through this with any other company. They hassled me through the entire process. Do not buy Netgear products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

3 months after purchase, 1 camera went bad. Not too bad on return process. Now about 6 months after purchase, second camera went, new batteries, different location, etc were tried. Got an RMA BUT no new camera provided and still ongoing. RMA number but no return address. I have spent WAY too much time on this well over many hours for a $100 camera. I cancelled my home monitoring and currently on phone to try again. Do not recommend Arlo due to poor customer service and very difficult to even find support number.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Horrible. To resolve a simple issue due to the product malfunction they want to charge me $49.99 or sell their warranty. Last time I am buying anything from Netgear. Especially, when the problem is THEIR OWN PRODUCT.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have had this router less than a year 2018. WiFi overheats and reboots on all three bands 2.4G, 5G, and 6G. Once or twice a daily. This isn't signal strength or wireless interference from some other networks. WAN Interface and Ethernet ports stay active and working fine. Not sure how I can have a hardware warranty until 2/5/2019 to RMA at cost me, but no Phone Support, Chat Support, Email Support. This would require an additional contract purchase for a service extension (Really). They definitely don't stand behind their products with a solid warranty! If you have to buy a Netgear products buy through Costco as they stand behind their product with 2 year with return policy to store for full refund as Netgear won't. Otherwise, stay away from clearly poor design and manufacturing product.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We bought 4 Arlos 2 years ago. When we first bought one of them had a problem and we sent back and they replaced. Now the replacement doesn't work at all. Call Netgear and they opened a case number, sent me an email to fill out RMA. The RMA link they gave me doesn't work. They refuse to resend the email with the link claiming it's my computer and they want access. Absolutely not... My computer is fine... Only this link is the problem. Poor customer support and poor product.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We recently bought Netgear AC1750 router to work with our ISP modem. From the very first day (although all lights will stay green) periodically router drops the Wifi connection. The only fix is to reboot (power off/on) the router each time this happens. We were given number by our ISP helpdesk to contact them as there is NO customer service number or contact information provided by the Netgear at their company's website. Called in late at night (not even during the regular business hours); we were 10th in line and it took more than an hour hold before for a support person (definitely offshore/outsourced) to finally answer the call. We gave our information including the contact number, as requested by the support person, to call back just in case call drops.

Call did drop and received no call back for our answers. You call back again and wait in line which we did not do. Tried the next. Again waited for a while and then gave up. It seems very likely that a single offshore person is supporting the entire North America. We also checked Netgear Genie software to see if there are any issue/alarms/fixes etc - none found. As a final resort signed up and posted my concerns on the Netgear 'community' blog. No response was received for our posted concerns. In all fairness, there seems to be single person who had responded to something similar but it does not make any sense to a new user such as I.

All it does (depending on number of labels you picked for complaints) is to list tons of documents relevant to the labels picked; Good luck figuring out your solution. This happens when there is no competition and/or accountability or oversight set by the Govt. It does not seem that Netgear cares and like Netgear hardware, such as, AC1750 router, its customer service complements its poor brand image and lacks any accountability/responsibility towards its customers as well. Lesson learned. Product will be returned and never to have Netgear as one of the purchase option.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I called your customer support to find out “if” I needed to perform upgrades to my router. I had a very hard time communicating with the representative. He had an accent, which was a small part of the issue, but he didn’t seem to be able to communicate well in general. He told me that he would upgrade my router security and make sure that all of my devices were protected. I asked him if I would have to pay for the service. He said “no.”

The man tried asked me to let him access my computer and I told him that I was very nervous about allowing him access to my computer. He then said that he didn’t need it and sent me to a website. We were not seeing the same icons on the webpage. Even though we probably weren’t on the same webpage the man then tells me that I have to upgrade my security plan. I was furious. I have been on the phone for 40 minutes and then he tells me that I have to pay.

I asked to speak with a manager. I then waited another 10-15 minutes. The manager said he was sorry. He explained what the other man was trying to do and he then said that I had to upgrade my security plan. If there is a security upgrade for my phone or computer, Apple pushes the security patches through. Now I am being told if I want to protect my Netgear router that I have to pay for it. I feel like I was part of a scam today and I lost well over an hour of my Sunday trying to work with your representative. This is an expensive piece of equipment and I am very disappointed that your company does not take better care to protect their customers and the Netgear equipment.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought a router a year and a 1/2 ago while stationed in Korea at the Post Exchange. I was able to use routerlogin.net to customize my router etc. while in Korea. I get back here and try to log in and it won't allow me to even connect to the website. I figured maybe purchasing in Korea might have to do something with it after all the troubleshooting efforts didn't work. So I try to contact support. Man oh man is the NETGEAR support the worst ** support ever. Not only does it keep sending me in loops back and forth but it had me speak to a robot who couldn't understand ** (and no I have no accent) and then to top it all off it hung up on me. My job is in the IT field in the military so I am nowhere close to technologically dull. Will never purchase a NETGEAR router again, and if anybody sees this I hope this helps you to STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I bought a 1 year support contract with Netgear. When I called for support on a product I was routed through 8 or 9 different departments over the course of 2 hours. Each one said that they were the wrong department for the product and said they would transfer me to the correct department. I was always transferred to another department that also said that they was the wrong department. And on and on, over and over. Pathetic! Never sucker and buy a support contract, it is worthless and a waste of money. Better still, avoid buying Netgear products.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

ARLO Promised use of their USB Ports on their VMC3030 base station, to date they WILL NOT or HAVE NOT release their promise. They have added this feature to their Pro-Base Station & informed me I should upgrade, after spending $1100.00 on their Arlo-Wireless Products, without compensation. Now owning 3-Base-Stations & 15-cameras, within months, several cameras started recording in pink, consistently go offline, Arlo does apologizes for their consistent server failures, but that is NOT COMFORTING when relying of security. There are constant FALSE notifications that cameras have detected motion, but NO RECORDINGS were captured or the motion just DID NOT occur. These are a few of several complaints about the ARLO System, the reason for 2-Stars is for their Outdoor Wireless Technology.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I bought a Netgear router last year and is failed after approx. 5 months. I tried to get it replaced under the warranty but Netgear were very difficult to Help. They initially said the warranty was only valid for 90 days and asked for $70 to extend it. After I complained they agreed to give me technical assistant. I was getting calls at 22:40 at night from the USA and they eventually agreed it was broken. I then return the router for repair, weeks later they said it wasn't covered under the warranty and would send the router back to me. Then they lost the router and offered £6 compensation. I was fuming as this did not even cover the postage and phone calls. Since then they have not responded to any emails. Stay away from this company, the warranty is useless.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

After calling Spectrum, they said to call Netgear about router issue we were having. After an hour call and speaking with a service rep and supervisor, they informed me that the only way to repair my router's software would be to pay them $149 for 12 month service contract. I told the supervisor that instead I would buy a new router for $100. He informed me that a new router would not repair the problem and that in order for us to ever have wireless service again we would have to pay them the $149!! Beware!! Total scam!! The scary part is that this was the phone number Spectrum gives out to their customers with Netgear problems.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I purchased 4 Arlo Pro wireless cameras from Best Buy in 2017. Paid over 1,000 for the cameras. They are rechargeable cameras. These were bought to serve as a security system in my home. First time used they worked perfect. Maintained the charge for over 6 months. Recharged the batteries as directed. However now they don't hold a charge for more than 5 days and one of the cameras won't charge at all.

I called their support team which the number is very hard to find by the way. It's very well hidden. Then you wait for hours on hold. They don't want listen to anything you tell them. They tell you to recharge and it will be fine. Which of course it's not. Then they have you keep calling giving you the runaround of different things that are wrong which that is not the case and keep doing this till your warranty is up and then they won't talk to you at all after that. I have asked several times for a manager of the support team to call me back and have not received a callback. I paid a lot of money for security camera that only worked for 6 months. This is an expensive rip off to the consumers and needs action taken against them.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Horrible product, I don’t know if it the extender or the router but both are Netgear product. So I have Nighthawk X6s which is a tri band router and EX8000 which it suppose to have Fastlane and use the 2nd 5Ghz channel, which never happens so I contacted customer support and they send me an email and I followed the instructions and it didn’t work so I tried troubleshooting myself since I have very good knowledge about networks and routers.

Still no luck, connection drops a lot, when doing ping test either to the router or extender it drops a lot and signal strength is great and no interference, every few hours I had to reset the router or the extender, 2nd WiFi 5Ghz channel suddenly disappears and only after reset it appears again for few hours and the disappears again. After a week of troubleshooting and of course Netgear support are not helpful because they lack knowledge and not trained or pros at all, just very basic troubleshooting. I finally returned the router and extender.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I bought a 6400 router from Netgear. After a year it needed a reconfiguration supposedly. My internet company told me to call Netgear. Same problem as others, 30 minute phone wait, would only help me if I paid. Did not pay. Then told me to go to Netgear.com to fix it myself. No help there. Will never buy them again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Purchased a Netgear AC3000 Tri-Band Router 6 months ago. Worked fine until two weeks ago. Now I have to shut it off and re-boot it at least every 1-2 days to get Internet access. When I called support they told me tech support was good for 90 days and if I wanted support it would cost $49. It doesn't say it on the box but it does state it in a pamphlet inside the box. How clever of them! If I would have seen the 90 day support limitation on a product they truly have confidence in, not! I would not have purchased it. It does come with a one year hardware warranty though. The tech informed me that hardware warranty applies if some or all the lights don't come on. Laughable of course but my problem. Will just return it to Costco and never purchase another Netgear product again.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Was sent a replacement product, and Netgear never sent the return FedEx label or box to send it back in. Have called them every day, and their agent said, "I talked to my supervisor, and you should be getting a email in 4-5 hours, from my supervisor". So I said I need the FedEx return label and shipping container to return defective product. She (agent) said I would get one in the mail. 3 days gone by and nothing. I even paid for FedEx up front, and they (NetGear) are still dragging their feet. I would hope someone at NetGear can be responsible and send me what they said they would do... and that is the return FedEx shipping label and container to send defective product back.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Couldn't understand the Netgear Customer service person. He was unable to solve the problem and transferred me to another technician. First issue is I cannot get the Netgear Genie off of my MacBook Pro screen. It locks up my computer forcing me to force quit all the time. I've been on phone-hold for 36 minutes now and still no help. Router R6400, at 2.4 Hrz, runs at best at half speed (30 Mbps). My Comcast speed is 60 Mbps. My Comcast Router set at 2.4 Mhz runs at about 60 Mbps. The Netgear router reach throughout the home is no better than the Comcast router. I think this is good enough reason to return my equipment for another product.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Netgear has great products, but their phone support is non-existent. If they ever fall out of the marketplace, it's their phone support to blame. Just getting to the right department is difficult. The hold time is extremely long. Then when you finally reach a human, they don't listen. I've tried twice for different product support, and both times ended up getting transferred to the wrong department after being on the phone for 45 minutes. I give up!

Original review: July 3, 2018

The Arlo pro cameras was advertised to keep you safe while away from home also while you sleep but that is not true. Actually I have woken up numerous times with all cameras off. Go out my front/back door and the camera don't record and I just walked passed it, with trash in my yard or something suspicious around the thing on my property. When you call for troubleshooting helpline the rep will tell you how to fix one camera but don't tell you, you need to repeat this step for all cameras. They will lie and say they're going to send you a replacement camera. Ask you for your credit card information to pay for shipping but never send replacement. The next day I started receiving calls about being selected to receiving a government grant for $9,200 sum dollars but I will need to go to Dollar General, Walgreen or Walmart to purchase a $400 stream card then call them at this number 3153321264 and give ID 7060 in order to receive the $9,200 grant.

This started one day after giving Arlo reps my credit card number. After speaking with supervisor I was advised that I was not the only customer waiting so I took that to mean they are taking customers credit card information knowing full well they are not going to send a replacement camera. After waiting on hold and talking to rep going through troubleshooting steps and this is what you get, Netgear is aware of this I've called left message, they change their number to customer service so you can't leave message.

It is my belief that some of Netgear reps are manipulating the cameras without customers permission causing them to shut down go offline and stop record so customers will call thinking their cameras are broken when the cameras are intentional and maliciously set to stop recording while base station signal all cameras or online and working properly until you check your library then you see your cameras had record for hours only to collect customer credit card info. I have been filled with nothing but stress and anxiety dealing with Netgear/Arlo not knowing when and if the cameras will start and stop recording causing me to worry.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have 5 cameras and a base station of Netgear VueZone equipment. The first year I could access my cameras by iPhone and then when iPhone upgraded to IOS 11 Netgear quit supporting VueZone. Okay, so I paid $49.95 for a year of cloud storage for my cameras and it no longer works either. So I have bought all this Netgear equipment, had it all working just as advertised and then Netgear quit supporting it and expects me to buy their newer model security system. I don't think so. I would recommend people stay away from Netgear because they don't support their sales.

Original review: June 23, 2018

We’ve had the Orbi wireless router system for less than a month and it has consistently stopped working and when it does decide to work has very slow internet speeds and has proven to be useless. Finally decided to call customer service which I am currently on the phone with and have been on hold for an hour and a half. Called on a different phone to be told that it would cost 69$ to receive help or hang up (I hung up). With that being said I will be buying a new router that’s not a product of Netgear and will NEVER buy one of their products in the future.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Bought Netgear router. Had to replace my computer. Getting everything ready and Netgear says it needs my PIN or security key. I call Netgear and get someone that can barely speak English. So hard to understand. All I want is my pin #. He explains why this won’t work because my network won’t work and if I send them $99 for the first year they can fix it. I am now trying to get off the phone (tell him I need to think about it). Not 2 minutes later another one calls to make sure that I don’t miss out on this deal. His English was worst than the first. Company is horrible.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I bought the X6 and send it back within 3 days had nothing but problems with it. Then I decided I would try the upgrade and bought the X8. It work 3 days shut off. I called Netgear. They said, "You have to send it back. There's nothing we can do. It's broken." So now I bought the x10 which cost $400. It work 3 days and I had spent an hour on the phone. Netgear fix it. Then it works for an hour and first thing this morning it's not working again and I've been on the phone for an hour waiting to get through the Netgear again to try to fix it. $400 for total piece of crap that doesn't work. Buyers beware. Do not buy any Netgear products.

Original review: June 1, 2018

After having my 4 Arlo cameras for over 2 1/2 years they started to act strange, so I called tech support. I was told I had a security problem, they blocked my account, and wants $249 to "fix" the problem. 3 cameras were working fine before the call, now nothing works, and they won't turn it on until I give them money. Shame on Best Buy, Sam’s and Walmart for allowing these crooks to steal from their customers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Terrible scam on the support line out of India. Totally Indian and nothing to do with USA. They just wanted to sell me a product warranty and I paid over $80 for no help. Then after I complained and they made we wait 98 minutes on hold and speak to 5 levels of management promised a refund of the 80 bucks but then only refunded 40 on my credit card. 100% scam. I called my congressman and filed an Attorney General report. DON'T BUY NETGEAR EVER!!!

Netgear Company Information