Netgear

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I needed help with online technical support. I was connected with someone from India. I think this person could not understand English. We spent nearly 30 minutes just trying to spell my name and address. His ability to answer technical questions was very poor. Had to hang up and call Best Buy where I purchased the item, and received very poor help. Probably recommend staying away from Netgear.

I purchased an Arlo camera system and one of the cameras did not have motion detection. I have repeatedly called and after stating I would get a replacement camera instead I got an email stating my case would close in three days. I have spent hours trying to contact them via phone and email. Now they state it is under review but can't tell me what department or give me a name of a person to call. Their website is poorly setup if you are looking for assistance and tends to be circular in its direction. Finding a phone number is a challenge as well. I would not recommend this company after my many contacts to resolve being shipped a defective camera.

I am a level 3 technical support specialist. There are concerns about Netgear selling devices that have known technical issues with incompatibility between the device and ISP. I am referring to the purchased item stand alone Netgear Modem. Model CMD31T. After a year of intermittent service with my ISP the conclusion was the cable modem had intermittent failure. It connected to the internet but had problems with DHCP server with ISP. After running some tests with Netgear Reps in India and discussing this with level 3 engineers with my ISP it was determined the chipsets were malfunctioning. I have the case numbers from Netgear and documented the known issues of the modem with other engineers from different ISP's. All of this BTW is public information and all you have to do type in the brand device model name and the words "known issues."

Netgear had thousands of refunds to customers on warranty with this modem with Cox Cable service as IPV6 addressing issues caused network engineers to roll back provisioning for this modem. Cox ISP tech engineers had to inform their customers if they are using Netgear modems to use another modem due to these issues with Netgear. In lieu of the fact that Netgear knows there have been connectivity issues due to faulty chipsets in their devices since 2012 the question I present here is why would they continue to sell devices that have known issues? I suggest to all who lack technical expertise to file a class action lawsuit against Netgear. I am sure if we get enough signatures from users with device failure there will be plenty of lawyers who will take on the case.

Like others have mentioned here sometimes the failure happens within the warranty timeline but most failure conveniently happens after the warranty runs out. In the tech world there is a term we use for this. It's called Crippleware. It cripples itself non usable at the most convenient time for the seller of the product. Meet the team that took your money and kicked you to the curb. Look at their faces how happy they are. You would be too if you made millions per year. https://www.netgear.com/about/management/

The symptoms you might experience is you have an internet connection but you have the same IP address for well over a year. This can be a concern for a security breach on your computer. Most residential internet services use DHCP which means the IP addresses change for your security. The second symptom is you can't access the modem interface 192.168.100.1 even when plugged directly into your nic card bypassing Router. All my connections are hard wired. I do not recommend buying Netgear and what gets me upset the most is you have a foreigner that comes here to the US, gets an education at Brown University, becomes CEO of Netgear and then moves all the business offshore. I think that alone is totally underhanded and a typical example of how this CEO represents the cheap mass produced products they sell.

Being sensitive to Radio frequencies from regular router, I contacted my server who recommended a Best Buy product Buffalo ethernet. They didn't have one, instead we purchased a Netgear GS605 5 port gigabit switch. It works fine on the home computer, but can't on my Laptop. My server has no idea how to help me. I had to register the product to get tech support from NetGear, which I did. They gave me a password which does not work on my default network. Disgusted with the emails and requests that Netgear themselves phone me to resolve this I phoned 5 times January 10th. My calls repeated were dropped, recordings, and of the 5, one live, foreigner speaking poor English answer. I requested another more well versed in English and was re-routed to the same recordings, "are you requesting Tech. support? Yes or no?" Trust for technical support is low. Thanks to Consumer Affairs.

I had a Netgear wireless router, N300wnr2000 and it went out last January and I went out to Best Buy and purchased another one. We are snowbirds and went home in May and when I got back last week this one is out. I have tried to contact you without success. I am not good on the internet so tried the phone. Still nothing. I will never purchase your product again. And as far as I am concern you need a better support system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Technically (-) 0 review for this one! I had a Netgear router for almost 4 years since July 2012 years. It was working fine until October 2016, I started having connection problems. I called customer service and the agent told me that she will help me fix the device but I have to purchase their support services which costs $139/year or almost $200 for 2 years. I was ASSURED that the problem was NOT the router but from the "communication" between the router and my internet provider. That getting a new router will not fix the problem. The agent was very persistent selling the "support service". That should've been a red flag! But I fell for it! Fast forward 1.5 months after, my router stopped working (again). At this time, they weren't able to fix the problem... And guess what??? They're selling me a new product!!! Seriously? That's just too fishy!

I asked for a refund since I don't have any other Netgear devices. Initially they were suppose to do an investigation but that "investigation" was just a waste of time. Now I bought a new router device and it's not NETGEAR! I'm so much happier with my Linksys router now. No support system needed that will rip off my procket and connection is so much faster. I'm not planning to buy another NETGEAR product because obviously this company just wants money from their customers. This company will just get money from people and doesn't care anymore after that. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY NETGEAR AGAIN!!! BIG MISTAKE!!!

This company is operating a scam and will continue to take people's money for phony service contracts. Like others, my service provider told me to call NetGear because the router device was connected on their end but it wasn't allowing me to connect to wifi. I called customer service in India... they told me I needed to pay 130.00 for a 1 year service contract. I said no and they insisted that they knew what the problem was and only they can fix it remotely if I pay. First of all, I will never in a million years be proving my cc info to someone in India. Second, the plan costs more than the product. I'm sure they designed it this was to only work for a few short months then try and stick you with that BS. Well, guess what... I'm going to return that piece of crap to the retailer and purchase another brand.

I purchase a $250 router from Netgear about 7 months ago. I had intermittent wifi signals for most of that time. The unit finally stopped working outright. I called the tech support line in India. They wanted to $89 to tell me if the unit wasn't working. After many calls and being hung up on and decided to return the unit to Best Buy where I purchased it. They told me to send it back to Netgear for repair. I contacted Netgear return department and they made significant effort to not complete a return. They finally accepted to exchange the unit with a refurbished unit. Someone else's piece of junk. This is the last Netgear product I will ever own! Shame on the CEO of Netgear for running such a bad business. They sell bad product and then try to get value by ripping off their customers with bad tech support.

My modem WiFi router is 90 past their warranty, which I would consider if something was faulty or broke. Netgear has a update a patch they need to send to my router. For them to send a signal to my router they want $50 for a 6-month subscription or $175 for a 2-year subscription. Could you imagine if Apple or Droid wanted us as customers to pay for every update or patch. They would be a multi-zillion dollar company or they would be bankrupt as not one of us is going to pay for a patch on our phones that update probably 2 times a week.

What a Great example of a company with Poor customer service. Now remember there is Nothing wrong with my modem, Netgear just happens to need to send a update 90 days passed my "what they call a warranty". It would basically be like if your car had a recall because the chip needed to be updated, even the Automotive company pays for this. Just never been so disgusted as to see such greed from a company. VERY POOR SERVICE.

I bought a Netgear N600 from Staples and after 7 months it failed. I called Netgear and was treated very rudely by some Indian man who I could barely understand. He acted smug and told me that he could fix the problem but only if I agreed to pay for a 1 year tech assistant fee. Nope. I told him that if he didn't help me fix this problem, that I would NEVER buy from Netgear again. He wouldn't help. I gave him as terrible of a review as I could on the Netgear website later on and have since moved on. I'm not wasting any more time on that company. Won't ever buy from Netgear again and you shouldn't either.

Purchased and installed new Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 Wi-Fi router June 2015. I will call the unit functional. The help from customer service was inadequate from the beginning. After countless hours of email and phone contact I realized the customer service is designed to placate, but not cure problems. I recently received email from Netgear indicating a security update (VU #582384) should be downloaded and installed. I have spent 7 hours attempting to access my Netgear settings. NOT A Chance! I believe the inept and cursory attention of customer service at Netgear should be considered by any potential buyer prior to any purchase.

I have a Netgear wifi box and have been fine with it until I bought a Amazon Fire Kindle. I cannot get the authentication to go through. Spoke to my internet provider and the router I have is fine. Then I contacted Netgear because it seemed that was my problem. First off they wanted to charge me more than I paid for their wifi box for tech support. I am not about to give them $140 for a year of tech support when they can't even help me with what they call a small issue - easily fixed. Also, I do not want to business with companies that send their business overseas - India tech support is BS. You are an American company - support local business. I am DONE with Netgear. BOO!

I had a router that doesn't work now after 3.5 months of use. Now all of a sudden the damn thing doesn't function properly. The internet globe icon on it no longer stays solid and now either goes out or blinks repeatably. It doesn't seem to hold IP or DNS servers properly. I called the ISP because I assumed it was their issue. So we tried everything, resetting factory default, registering my modem, power cycling, and even resetting the connection on their end. NOTHING WORKED. They were having issues even getting the modem to show up on their end of the system. So they sent a technician, and he plugged in another router, and it worked!!! The technician said that there was most likely something wrong with the router since even a FACTORY RESET would not fix the problem.

So I then called Netgear, since the piece has a 1 year warranty for defects or malfunction. I was already on the phone with Time Warner Cable for 6 hours that night. Now they want to make me do something to my modem even AFTER I explained to them that I have already tried everything. So I go along with this. Then the REP DECIDES THAT I SHOULD CALL THE ISP TO SEE IF THEY CAN FIX IT EVEN THOUGH I CALLED THEM FIRST. So I humor them after 2 hours and call the ISP, only to try to same stuff, only this time, we can't even get it to show up once on their servers, so obviously we can't get it to work. I call Netgear, and they ask what the ISP said. I said they couldn't do anything on their end, so the second rep makes me do everything again the third time!!! I tell them it is clearly a hardware issue if it doesn't even register on the isp's side even after a factory reset.

They tell me to do a factory reset again and call the ISP AGAIN!!! What is this??? They keep driving me in circles to the ISP just to avoid a repair. NOT TO MENTION, even if I get a repair request, I still have to pay to send a DEFECTIVE PRODUCT UNDER WARRANTY!!! There is no other company I have ever called in to top ever get a repair where they make me pay for a repair for a product under warranty. They clearly want to blame every other imaginable source. One of the reps even told me that the Netgear doesn't work with Windows 10 products and that an update shows that it doesn't work. This is a ** joke. ** NETGEAR. I will never purchase another Netgear and I will tell every single person that they should avoid them like the PLAGUE. Their service is ridiculous!!!

Unit was purchased August 15, 2016. Unit failed to perform. Called customer service was called, spoke with Taiwain, then spoke with very rude people from India. Went through hours of diagnostic procedures and hold time. Tried for force me to purchase another extended warranty and I refused so they indirectly refused to help me. Being that I had an extended warranty from the purchasing store, the store warranty company would not honor it because it was still in factory warranty. But Netgear customer service WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO SHIP IT TO THEM for repair. Strange... So if I were you I would not purchase a Netgear product ever again. I won't.

Avoid buying from Netgear PERIOD. They attempted to charge me for assisting with fixing my N900 wireless dual router. We had a power outage and immediately I discovered it was their router. Netgear went online through my router and said they could fix it... BUT IF I purchased a service contract for 1 year. WTF? A router that caves with an single power outage and their simple fix is withheld for a $100 fee. Hell NO! I bought a new router (NOT NETGEAR) and told them to shove it.

IT'S NOT THE PRODUCT QUALITY BUT THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE THAT MAKES FUTURE BUSINESS WITH THEM UNTHINKABLE!!!

Purchased a Netgear router 3/28/16.. Within 7 months the thing just stopped working. After confirming with Cox that the router was indeed the trouble I called Netgear. They told me it was a problem with an update and easily fixed BUT... my free 6 month support was over & I needed to purchase another 6 mos support program for $90. I paid $110 for the product itself. After reading the other reviews I feel it's a scam with NetGear to keep purchasing support programs. I will never purchase a NetGear product & will warn friends and family about this scam. P.S. Still have the receipt.

I purchased a Netgear router in March, it stopped working and I called my internet provider and she helped me figure out that my router needed an update. No big deal... I called Netgear assuming they could help me out and get it up and running. I called them and they said they could get it running no problem, but had to give them a CC number before they could proceed. He assured me that I wouldn't be charged to see what was wrong with it, because I was thinking about trying to take it back to where I bought it. I was hesitant but agreed to have him check it and sure enough because he was able to get it working I was charged for the 6 month extended warranty for $90. As I'm reading these I see I'm not the only one that has gotten screwed by them. I can't believe they operate like this. I will go out of my way to tell everyone I know to NEVER buy Netgear. Total BS.

Like other purchasers of Netgear products, I bought a product that did not work and felt pressured to purchase a Netgear service plan to get the product working properly. However, purchasing the service plan has not yet resulted in the product working. I purchased the Netgear EX6150 to use as an access point to extend WiFi coverage in my home. After going through the setup steps, and connecting it to the cat5 wire on the other end of my home, it did not work. I know the wiring is not the problem as I actually tried two different cat5 wires, both of which have been tested. I called Netgear customer support and went through all of the setup steps again. When it still didn't work, Netgear told me that I needed to contact my internet provider to change the security system on my router, which I did. My internet provider made all changes that needed to be made, but the EX6150 still did not work.

I then called Netgear again and the service rep told me she could fix the problem, but I would have to purchase a one or two year service plan for her to assist me. I did not want to buy the service plan and protested that I should not have to purchase a service plan to get help in making the brand new product do what it is supposed to do. However, the rep insisted that it was necessary for me to purchase the service plan to receive her assistance. After already spending at least 4 hours trying to set up the EX6150, I felt compelled to purchase the plan to cross the finish line in getting the access point working so my previous time was not completely wasted, and so I purchased the plan.

Then, at 2 in the morning, after about 2.5 hours on the phone with the rep and granting her access to my computer, we finally had the EX6150 working as an access point on the other end of the house -- for about 5 minutes, and then it went out. I called back the next night, and was on the phone for 1.5 hours, going through all of the setup steps I went through the night before, granting access to my computer, and then my telephone call was dropped. When I called back, I was given no assurance of how long it would take to fix the problem and was told that a more expert person would call me back.

This has been a very horrible and time-consuming experience. It reminds me of the days before I began purchasing Apple computers when I would spend hours through the night speaking with a customer service person on the other side of the world (whose poor English was compounded by a foreign accent) about a computer issue without there ever being a solution to the problem. At the moment, I have spent $100 on a Netgear extender, over $100 for a Netgear service plan, spent at least 10 hours (much of which was speaking to Netgear service reps) trying to set up the extender, and I still do not have a working product.

I purchased a Netgear adaptor as part of a WiFi system a few months ago and it was working fine. This last Sunday they sent me an notice saying there was an update available. I clicked on the update and while the system was updating I lost access to the internet. I tried uninstalling Netgear and reinstalling it but the result was the same - that Netgear could not recognize my USB device on the desktop computer. I called my provider and finally Netgear and no one could help me, but Netgear said they could fix the problem if I agreed to buy their $140 service agreement for one year. I told them that I was not going to pay them for a problem that they created, because everything was work fine until I unfortunately tried to install their update.

I told them that instead of giving them that money I was going to take the same money and buy a new USB adaptor for the Wifi from Linksys. I uninstalled the Netgear system and installed the Linksys system and it was working fine in three minutes, while Netgear had wasted my entire Sunday morning. Thanks for the update Netgear. And how many times do you think that I will click on anything that you send to me again? You guessed it.

10.19.16 I tried (4) times to contact Netgear via phone to help with a repair parts purchase. One of my customers either lost or stole the power supply from one of my Netgear GS308 switches. I need to replace the power supply. After over 2 hours calling them (4) times (New Delhi) I eventually was on 15 minute +++ holds each time and the line finally went dead. The representatives I spoke with briefly, before they put me on terminal hold, could barely speak English - although I'm sure their English is much better than my Indian. Eventually, I just gave up - which is what they ultimately want. I now have a perfectly good GS308 network switch without any way to plug it in to the wall. I'll buy another switch, but it won't be Netgear.

I purchased a Netgear 72 which is a router/modem combination in July 2016. I have been on the phone with Netgear for over 3 hours trying to get this piece of junk working properly. They tried to tell me it was out of warranty and they want to charge me $140 for one year's warranty. This is 2 months after I made the purchase. What kind of piece of trash equipment can't last 2 months when you pay almost $200 for it? They say they can't do anything from their end to help me. Sorry. However, when I threaten to contact the Attorney General, file a class action lawsuit (I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to find enough consumers for) and contact the Aging & Disabilities to file complains (since I am older) all of a sudden my equipment starts working. It had been off all day and the minute the customer service representative went to talk to her "supervisor" it works!

I think they have a way to send signals to your equipment when it goes out of "warranty" (meaning 60 days I suppose) and you have to contact them and pay more money. I bought it to save $$$ not renting equipment from my cable company only to be taken advantage of by Netgear. Not only would I NEVER recommend this company I believe they are violating all kinds of laws with their unfair business practice. Stay away from them and save yourself time, energy and $$$. Netgear cons consumers!!!

Bought a Netgear router, worked fine for about a year, then had issues. Confirmed through my internet provider that modem was fine; issue was with router and they have me Netgear's tech support phone number. I had to give credit card information right up front, with the only option (aside from a 2 year tech support contract) being to purchase a 1 year contract of tech support for $139.00 in order for them to help me. They got the router working.

Fast-forward over 2 years later (so even if I had bought the 2 year contract, I still wouldn't have been covered) and same router issue occurs. Again, I confirmed with internet provider it was the router, called Netgear who again wouldn't help until I paid $139.00 for another 1 year's worth of tech support. At the end of the call, the tech proceeded to try to get me to go for the 2 year contract, not taking no for an answer until the 3rd time I said no. Having only the option to purchase 1-2 years of tech support sucks, especially when the problems conveniently occur when the tech support has expired. Makes me wonder whether or not they interfere with the routers on purpose.

I had a problem connecting the Netgear Nighthawk. I rang for support and I was told my computer had to be scanned for viruses and it would be $80. I explained I was from the UK and they tried to charge me 80 instead of 60 and then pressured me over and over to buy their 1 year plan to protect my computer and other devices for only 160. It turned out they sorted out the issue through my Android phone which took 15 minutes! Paid 200 for this router as my house has 3 floors. Feel totally robbed.

Just like many people they said I needed $100.00 plan for all my equipment. I fell for it. The computer they fixed never worked right again, then in six months everything stopped working. I called and everybody knows the drill - put on hold, told to call back later, need to talk to somebody else then disconnected. Took bad computer offline, bought new Belkin equipment, everything has been working wonderful for 30 days. They just called about fixing equipment. Stay away from these hustlers and Netgear.

We bought a NETGEAR router model R6220 less than a month ago, which came recommended by the internet technician who came to service us. We began having spotty internet and wifi service about two weeks into it. I called the internet service provider, and after troubleshooting everything, he told me my modem was fine, it was the router that was the problem. He had me call NETGEAR'S customer service. He told me since the router had been purchased within 90 days, I was fully covered for service calls.

I called NETGEAR. They remotely took over my computer and ran some "tests". I was told my network was open and my ip address was being used by foreign entities. He said he could fix the problem for $150 that covered 5 years of free service or $199 that covered a lifetime of free service. I told him "the product is new and I was told through my internet provider I was fully covered". He replied in his thick Indian accent, "you are not being charged for the service, you are being charged for the tools I have to use to clean up your computer". I told him I wasn't comfortable with paying for this and I wanted to ask my husband first. He said he would wait on hold until I asked him. I told him he was at work and would ask him when he got home. He got very short and told me, the price would go up because my computer would have more infections. At this point, my internet/wifi was just intermittent.

As soon as I got off the phone, I called McAfee and they ran tests to see if there was anything wrong, and it came back clean. I did pass on to them that I was told by NETGEAR "foreign entities were using my ip address". At this point I didn't know what to believe. I am the most non technical person I know. The next day, I had no internet service at all! NONE! I called my internet service provider again, was told the same thing - it was my router and to call NETGEAR. I called them back - and was told that there would be a charge of $150 dollars. The more questions I asked how this was even possible, she became increasingly angry. I was told I didn't understand how computers work. I was told again that I would have to pay more if I called back at a later time.

Both of those instances, the person wanted me to call them directly for the "fix actions" if I chose to do it, which leads me to believe they get paid by commission. I was told I was operating on a dirty network, that no router would be able to operate in this environment. She said, if I bought another laptop - it would get infected. If I bought another router - it would not work UNTIL I PAY $150. Before I hung up, she said "good luck on getting anything to work yourself". She was really rude, pushy, and condescending! I will never do business with NETGEAR. I will tell everyone I know about my personal experience with them. I honestly feel like they are running a scam. I am now renting a different router from my service provider. They have customer service in the U.S. I wrote down the first person's contact information - it was 1(844) 365-0365 ext. **. He said his name was Jacob **.

No product support - Warranty period is laughable. Happy until I needed support. They said you can throw it away and buy a new one or get a new warranty plan for $89, $139, or $229. I asked the phone rep if people tell her all day that they are just going to throw it away and buy a different brand, she said yes. Enough said, steer clear.

My internet service from Charter (in SLO) failed. I called Charter and they told me to get a new modem. I plugged it in and still no service. Charter suggested that I call Netgear (my router) service. The Netgear guy informed me that my router was working but I had interference on my private network and to fix it I had to buy new software for the router - I could get a 1 year guarantee for $139 or 3 years for $269. I suggested that I could just get a Charter router for $5/month and the NG guy told me that I could do it but it would not fix the interference and that Charter could not fix that. I decided it was bullpucky. I called Charter back and they reinitialized it and everything is working fine. SHAME ON YOU NETGEAR. I should also note that Charter service was excellent.

I contacted Netgear Technical Support. Issue was with my network and established IP addresses; for a fee of $150, a NETGEAR technician would fix it. Repeatedly declined, said I was not comfortable. Then he proceeds to 'fiddle' with programs on my page. Will return the product and, frankly, want NOTHING to do with NETGEAR. Stay away!!

I purchased a router today. Set up was a joke. I finally was able to connect the internet, but could not activate WiFi. I tried the online help, joke. It took forever to find a tech support phone number. When a foreign person, barely speaking English answered he put me on hold for 10 min. before I hung up. Very very dissatisfied with service so I took the product back. The product may be great but I never got to use it for the purpose I intended.

Like others here, I feel ripped off by Netgear. I misplaced my router passphrase and needed it for an iPhone reset. I called Netgear and immediately faced numerous hurdles to getting help. First I had to create a new account, as I'd never used my technical support since buying the router in 2011 (yes, in fairness, the product haswell). Then I had to create a case number for priority in taking my call. Once I'd done that, I called back, and after a few minutes was connected to a woman in New Delhi. She told me to receive technical support, I must buy one of three plans, costing $90, $140 and one more expensive price (two years worth) that I now can't recall. This was because Netgear only offers 90 days of free technical support after your purchase date.

I took the $90, six-month plan. After some confusion, she got me to a web page where I could see my passphrase (yes, she helped me get the information I needed). But then she asked me to write down a reference number and mentioned something about upgrades. The conversation was confusing, and I hung up with the impression that the reference number was for the technical support plan. Then I got my American Express notification a few minutes later... turned out she charged me another $40 for a second service that I did not request. I think I bought the ability to get a new router for that price.

When I called Netgear this morning to ask that the charge be reversed, there was no selection in the voice menu for billing or a customer representative. I kept getting disconnected. Likewise, there is no link for billing questions or complaints on Netgear's website. This is a scam, plain and simple. I'm happy with my router, but when it's time to replace it, I will not buy their products.

Netgear Company Profile