2. Miscellaneous

Netgear

3.3/5 (193 ratings)

About Netgear

Netgear Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netgear?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: May 15, 2021

I purchased a mid end modem to stop renting from Xfinity. It died in less than 4 months. Drops connection. Have contacted support 3+ times. Each time a different story. From just take it back to you need to spend 90 to pay to troubleshoot your device so that we can honor the 1 year warranty. Technicians have blamed Xfinity, Asus (router I use). I picked up a Comcast rental bridged to the Asus router...no issues. Clearly Netgear modem is the faulty component. I am out 250 as I will not pay to ship the modem back or a 90 support fee. They should be investigated and I believe a class action lawsuit filed. Stay away from netgear and I would encourage stores to take the product off the shelves. Netgear's poor service will tarnish the reputation of a store's brand.

Original review: April 30, 2021

My last Netgear router lasted me well over 8 years, so when I needed a new one last year, I purchased another Netgear router. I bought it on 5/14/20. Within 6 months or so I started to have connection issues with my internet. I replaced the ethernet cords, thinking that would help. It got so bad that I was resetting my router multiple times a day. Not being tech savvy, I had my cable company come to my house to test the equipment. It was the router. I bought a new one on Amazon and had it delivered the next day and my internet connection was great!

I went on Netgear's website and requested support as I had registered my NightHawk with them when I bought it. The first thing the support person says to me when I explained the problem was, "The router looks good on our end, so it must not be a hardware issue." I said, "Well, that's interesting since the Netgear is not plugged in. I have a new router installed and it is not your brand." Total silence from customer service. Finally she asked me to plug it in, which I did, and of course she says again, "It looks good on our end, so it's not a hardware issue." She went through a whole litany of things to try to make it work and I finally said, "So, you aren't replacing it?" "No, because it is not a hardware issue." I hung up on her as this was clearly a scam to get out of honoring the 1-year warranty which the device was still under.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Beware - Support is for 3 months on software!! Parental settings not available as even though it says it is. Part of the reason I purchased this "Night"Hawk. It's a "Night"mare. My device lost all of its settings after doing a simple power cycle. As is required by Comcast once in a while. I did not reset it! Support wouldnt talk to me unless I paid for support. They said it was a software issue? The unit was 3.5 months old? Do yourself a favor. DONT BUY NETGEAR!!

Original review: April 16, 2021

I purchased a router. What a joke. First, they direct you to an app to install. Except the app doesn't work. Even if you can get it installed (took 14 tries), it will crash as soon as you open it. On to the web version of the install, which sends you in loops. You never get a login screen. Call customer support. First person makes you create an account so they can spam you with email and sell your name. Second person makes you start all over with your info, provides you instructions that kill your internet, then disconnects accidentally and doesn't call you back, even though he said if that happened you would get a call back in 60 seconds. LOL. Sure. Long story short, eight hours of my life with Netgear, and another 4 trying to restore my fubared network. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I will not buy another Netgear product after my experience. I purchased Netgear's Orbi about 6 months ago and then upgraded to one with more sq. ft. capability. So I took the one I had to set it up at my daughter's. It would not setup so I called for support. The technical support from Netgear has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advise: avoid buying their products and tech support.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought the Nighthawk Wifi6 mesh system instead of an alternative mesh system like Google's Nest system which turned out to be a huge mistake. After an hour of struggling with the set-up I called customer service. I spent more than 2 hours with a technician. At the end I was told that we had tried everything and that the product is defective and needs to be returned. So I spent almost $250 on a defective product and was offered nothing in compensation. No money off of a replacement product for wasting so much of my time. Nothing. So instead I will return this, buy the Google Nest system (which I should have just done in the first place) and then never buy a Netgear product again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Like so many others I received a call from Sam posing as a Netgear wifi technician. When I questioned him he said he was an employee of Netgear. I asked to speak to his supervisor, his name is Victor. When these two decided I had to do everything from my laptop and not my tablet I became very suspicious. When they wanted to take control of my laptop I said no. I said I would call Netgear and check on these two credentials.

Victor got very nasty but I said no, I will call Netgear first. I hung up and called Netgear support. I got to a first level tech who gave me a case number and transferred me to tech support. Needless to say Victor and Sam are not on the Netgear Directory and their phone number is not listed either. I believe when one gets a cold call from someone like this, use the listed number to call back before you permit anyone actually taking over your computer, ever! There are only two companies I trust, one is Netgear. Their customer relations are excellent. Be very, very careful.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I got on the Netgear website because the wifi extender that I purchased wasnt performing. The tech guy I was forwarded to was an East Indian guy who gave me his name and number. Said he was in San Jose CA. He took over my laptop and told me I had multiple viruses and spyware and before he could resolve the extender issue, they would have to clean up my computer and recommended I install either Norton AV or Webroot plus I should install a new firewall. They would do it all and even provided prices. Seemed very strange since I have a very strong AV installed already. I refused and am sending back the Netgear extender. Sounds like these guys are subcontracted by Netgear to provide tech support services. I will not go near this company again. PS: I have no issues with my computer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I'm an IT professional. I've done extensive troubleshooting on the issue I was experiencing with my NetGear unit and determined the unit is defective. After about 8-16 hours, the modem would begin dropping packets out to the internet. Replacing the unit with another brand/manufacturer resolved the issue, thus confirming that the issue was the modem. Support has routinely tried to say anything they need to to get me off the phone. They will not transfer to management. I finally reached a manager after insisting and insisting, and talking over the technician repeatedly. I've clarified to NetGear that they are not honoring their 1 year Return Merchandise Authorization agreement.

At this point, I would like a refund instead, as they have forced me to take matters into my own hands and purchase a new modem. They finally were able to figure out the confusion - the other support technicians either didn't know or didn't care to make sure my RMA modem was on the way. In discussing this with NetGear, and seeking a refund, I have listed the reasons they should return my money. This has been provided to them:

1. Support told me my RMA unit would be cross-shipped ASAP. It wasn't. (Still hasn't been shipped.)
    2. Support has never followed up on my ticket.
    3. Support has told me a manager would contact me. They did not.
    4. Support has told me they could not give me an RMA because I do not have a support contract. This is not disclosed when purchasing the product, and is honestly extremely unacceptable and unprofessional.
    5. I have since purchased a new Modem for several reasons:

5a. I wanted to prove the NetGear unit was the problem, your support team has tried to indicate otherwise.

5b. I needed the issue resolved. After about a week of not hearing back and the support team seemingly just saying whatever they thought I wanted to hear and not actually assisting me. I had to call in and repeatedly insist on getting a manager. The team routinely tried not to do so. To get a manager, I had to be kind of a jerk honestly. This is also not acceptable.

5c. I used this to cement/prove that the unit was the issue, though I knew and insisted this from the beginning.
    6. Your support doesn't seem to be particularly competent.

7. I was disconnected repeatedly when contacting support. This did not seem like an accident, always happened shortly after handing them the case number. This stopped happening when I insisted that it happened the last two times I called in and waited on hold to speak to someone.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I purchased Netgear's Nighthawl CAX80 in Aug 2020. The technical support from Netgear is pathetic, unprofessional and fraud. Their team has only one motive: to sell extended warranty (beyond 90 days) and dupe customers. They purposefully create issues and when customers call for help, they force them to buy 3m/6m/1year support at extra cost and fix the issue. This is their game plan and any amount of escalations makes no difference. Sincere advise: avoid buying their products and tech support.

Chakki