Netgear

Netgear

3.7/5 (395 ratings)

About Netgear

Netgear Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netgear?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NetGear?

Original review: April 11, 2022

Netgear has refused to refund my $689 after returning a wifi hotspot. The item was sealed and unopened. I returned in the same bubble mailer it came in and closely following their RMA instructions, using their contracted carrier (FedEx) and return shipping label they provided. The tracking shows it was received. They claim the package was empty when they received it and denied my refund and told me to contact Fedex. I filed a claim with Fedex and they denied the claim. I am out $689. Why should I be liable for this loss when I followed Netgear's instructions, used their contracted carrier and the return label they sent me? There was no option to return to a local store. What did I do wrong that I should be liable for the loss? It's not like I chose to use my own carrier. Do NOT buy directly from Netgear.com or this can happen to you too. If you buy from them and something goes wrong beyond your control, they will not guarantee their sales process.

Original review: April 1, 2022

Bought an AX1600 Wifi extender and could not get it setup. After following the instructions multiple times I gave up and called customer service where I was connected to someone in India. After spending over 15 minutes on the phone with them just trying to access basic info for myself and the router (not even providing tech support), I'm giving up and returning this to the store. SO FRUSTRATING.

Original review: March 25, 2022

Have been dealing with Netgear for over a week on a modem we purchased less than 1 year ago. By far, the worst customer service experience of my life. Have complied with all their requests for proof of purchase and serial number of modem. No response from anyone. We called and called and have to start the process all over again. These people truly do not know what they are doing. I would hope the owners of Netgear would realize the path they're on for customer service is truly horrible. Will NEVER purchase a Netgear product again. The owners need to stand by their product and they don't.

Original review: March 24, 2022

We purchased a WiFi Router NETGEAR. We subsequently purchased a 2 year warranty as well. We had troubles with the device about a year later. When we contacted the company to see what they could do, we were told the warranty ONLY covered a replacement. If we wanted a rep to check the device for issues we would need to pay almost 100 dollars for them to investigate. I think that covers the problem.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I ordered an Orbi 960 router and 2 satellites overnight shipment. I ordered everything overnight as my current router failed and my wife works from home. When they arrived, I spent about 3 hours setting them up. The router could not see the satellites. So then I spent another 3 hours talking to tech support. It was determined the equipment was bad and all 3 pieces would be replaced. It was supposed to be sent overnight. It arrived 2 days later. It was the wrong color and they just sent the router, no satellites. I called the company and they refused to correct their mistake until I shipped their replacement back first, adding more time to the wait. I asked to speak to a manager/supervisor and the technician refused. As a result, I canceled my order. I will never buy a single thing from Netgear again when there is an alternative product available

Original review: March 16, 2022

I purchased the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router for my first home. The service provider in the area was Spectrum, and the NETGEAR box said Spectrum was compatible. I hooked everything up and started having slow internet to no internet within the first month. Getting 32mbps when paying for 200. I thought it was a Spectrum issue, not a NETGEAR issue, so I had Spectrum come out to my property to check the line connection (which I paid for). They told me the lines were "re-cleaned" and everything should be fine again. However, the following month, I called Spectrum back again because the issue was not resolved. They had me unplug and re-plug the cord back into the wall for a reset. This happened almost every single month for an entire year.

Finally Spectrum told me it was not a problem on their end but that they think it had something to do with my NETGEAR Nighthawk. I couldn't believe it because it was a brand new Modem Router that was top of the line at the store that advertised compatibility with Spectrum. I ended up getting an Arris to see if it was indeed an issue with my NETGEAR Nighthawk, and it was. The Arris worked getting us connect way over the 200 Mbps I am paying for. I have not had any issues with my internet since making the change. So it was NOT a Spectrum issue, it was a NETGEAR issue.

I've had the Arris now for 2 months and am loving it. I did call NETGEAR about my issue and they told me I missed the return policy by a few days and wouldn't help me after a 48 minute WASTED phone call with customer service. I had forgotten to register my NETGEAR product when I purchased it, so when I was speaking with the customer service representative, they registered it for me but wouldn't help me as a new customer. I tried explaining the situation to Best Buy - where I purchased the NETGEAR Nighthawk, but Best Buy said it was past their return policy.

Now I have wasted over $219.99 on a product that simply was not compatible with my service provider in which they advertise they work with and where the hardware may have technical issues. Not a happy customer and wanted to make everyone aware of my issue so they don't have the same. I found out a friend of mine in the area had the same issue and switched over to an Arris and haven't had any issues since as well. I will NOT purchase a NETGEAR product ever again. The product is trash and their customer service was even worse.

Original review: March 11, 2022

This is my 4th attempt calling and waiting for support generally 1 hour. Tried trouble shooting on our own after support service was not available. On the phone with customer service last night for 4 hours and person was not confident in trouble shooting. Did a reset of the router and the next day same issue. I pay for 200 mbps download connected to the ethernet with over 200 with WIFI router 7. This is absurd and frustrating as I lost valuable time studying and work. Please don't waste your time and purchase this product. You will not get the support customers deserve. I'm still waiting on the phone for assistance from 5:00pm and it's not 6:30pm. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

What a miserable support. Response time 1-2 weeks, which is not acceptable at all for network devices. For a device I bought 4 months ago, I already have to prove that I am authorized to get support! This is what I call chicanery and is absolutely customer unfriendly. Very unprofessional. Too bad, the devices are actually good.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

NETGEAR IS RUBBISH DO NOT PURCHASE. It takes a lot for me to take the time to complain but on Netgear I simply have to if for nothing else I can save someone their time and money. I just bought a Netgear WiFi extender, total rubbish, not compatible with either router or computer after being assured that it will work fine, just plug n play they say, absolute rubbish. On the phone for over 3 hours and their advice was to buy another router, different operators giving different advice, they don't know what they are talking about, patronizing and no success. My advice is to AVOID AT ALL COST.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I spoke to 2 agents. Both were very knowledgeable and understood my query. They both listened intently and guided me to a possible Netgear model for my needs. I told the first agent that I needed to talk to my wife, and I would probably call back. The agent did not pressure me to purchase his suggested model. When I called back, I did not get the first agent. No problem. The second agent was able to locate my support with the first agent and after a reasonable amount of time he pulled up 2 models. He very patiently explained the differences between the 2 models in detail in such a manner that I was able to make a decision and then purchased the NETGEAR Wi-Fi Mesh Range Extender EX7300.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I would never buy another Netgear product, they only give 90 customer support so if you ever change equipment you will never be able to get support unless you pay for it. I purchased a new router last week and could not connect. Support told me my equipment (computers, t.v.'s, etc.) were corrupt and they could have a tech clean it up for a mere $100. Called my internet provider 2 days later, which had me run a lot of troubleshooting steps. Finally he told me to call Netgear and have them reset my Netgear system. So I called Netgear again and told them to do what I was told. This fixed the issue and I did not get scammed into paying the $100.

I also have a Netgear booster which is 6 months old. Since we are out of the 90 day window I would have to pay for support to get my booster to work!!! I would think that hitting the reset on booster would pick up new router, that would make sense, but it does not, so I now have to go buy a new booster. Thanks Netgear for the great service. I will never buy any of your products again!!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

I made an online purchase and my old billing address was used as shipping. I contacted sales and support not 5 minutes from when the purchase was made. The support & sales team both denied my request to update the shipping address and to cancel the order. They insisted I needed to receive the item and return it. I explained how that would be impossible if it's sent to an address I have no connection with. I opened a case and reached out to FedEx as instructed. Fedex has a hold from Netgear for customers to update packages and can only be done by Netgear. I again contacted Netgear support and explained I am locked from updating my address. Netgear replied I kid you not, "in that case you need to contact Fed-ex". SO now the package did not arrive, someone, I don't know signed for it and I am being denied a refund.

I understand the initial mistake was on my part, but if you don't have any systems in place to update orders you shouldn't be shipping equipment. Netgears systems are made in a way that the customer will lose if they run into any issues. This transaction was a scam at best. DO NOT BUY ONLINE FROM THEM! Go to your local retail store, and choose another brand if possible.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I've owned Netgear products for 3yrs. The 1st Nighthawk router I purchased was top of the line, it performed perfectly for about a year, then suffered catastrophic failure. Tech support was hard to work with, long hold times, and took several hrs on the line to get help. I got frustrated enough, that I went out and purchased the latest and greatest Nighthawk model available at the time (1yr ago). Last week, I changed internet providers, & went from 300M to 1G of internet services. I've since been on with tech support for over 3hrs, on 3 separate occasions. My WiFi is now at 0.

I want so bad to go out and spend the $1000 on a new Orbi system, but I don't trust Netgear enough with an investment of that level. I will be switching out my homes network system to another major name brand equipment provider. No business should operate this way, or be allowed to trash equipment on us, forcing new equipment purchases.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

Purchased a Netgear Nighthawk router in 2016 - worked great until December 2021. I can accept the fact that this equipment needs replaced after so many years in service. Replaced the original router with another netgear router. New router router advertised 300 Mbps. Delivered 20-30 Mbps. Netgear support confirmed that device was defective and issued RMA for replacement. Placed old router back into service as it still performed better. While waiting for replacement router, original router became completely inoperable.

Working from home and required immediate solution so I purchased another Netgear router (advertised 1000 Mbps at 5g, 300Mbps at 2.4G). Actual 70 Mbps in the same room as router, drops to 30 Mbps in next room. Confirmed modem speed of 230 Mbps via hardwire. Called customer support again, they could not provide a solution and committed to a call back from senior technical support. Did not receive call back. I would gladly pay a premium for a device that worked as advertised. The time wasted on this is unacceptable. I will never purchase a Netgear product again and would strongly suggest purchasing another brand if you are in the market for this type of equipment.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Can't buy a compatible replacement battery for the Netgear AC797 in Australia the only ones available are not compatible with this model. Spoke to Netgear and Optus and they just have no interest in supporting the replacement battery. Wasted $399.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I had a router with a hardware problem that I couldn't fix. I spent 11 hours on the phone trying to talk to a manager and never got a call back ever. Over 2 months later I was called horrible name and racist name by the service members. I strongly think people should buy other routers then a Netgear. They will not help you and for them to tell you anything you have to pay them.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I have waited an absolute absurd amount of time for the "90 day free tech support" after which they charge you for service. It appears they would like you to spend the entirety of that time on hold, intermittently talking with one of their 5 global technicians, who will ask you to power cycle and ultimately just give up on your issue and hang up without calling back. After you waited two hours. Twice. TWO TIMES. Still not resolved. Chat feature is unavailable. Not exactly a great advertisement for PAID tech support. I decided to buy my own cable modem router because it was supposed to be better than what Xfinity provides, but I never had issues with them. I'll be returning this trash device from the trash company. I'm not at all "that customer," but this is beyond absurd.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I called Netgear sales and was convinced this was the unit I needed for what I was trying to accomplish. After having trouble setting it up on my own, I called for tech support for assistance. After hours on the phone over a period of a few days, the tech person told me that using the unit as an "Access Point" (which is what I wanted it for) would cause "conflicts" with the various devices. ALL of the techs I spoke with were from overseas countries. We were simply not on the same wavelength and talking past each other. I repeatedly asked to speak with a USA based, higher tiered tech (you know, one in the same country that Netgear is based out of), but never had the opportunity to speak with someone. After nearly 10 hrs of wasted time, I gave up and asked to file a complaint about their process.

The next day I received an e-mail from their Customer Care team wanting to give me instructions on how to return the unit and completely ignoring the fact that I wanted to file a complaint... not get instructions on how to return the unit. The unit was purchased through Amazon Prime, so I was fully aware of how to return it. What I WAS interested in learning was how Netgear was going to return the 10 hours of my life that they sucked out of me because they would rather ship their tech support responsibilities overseas.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

Rep said she knew nothing about the nighthawk and said she would have to transfer me to nighthawk tech.. I asked why I didn't have a choice on verbal menu.. She did not know and I could tell she didn't care.. I told her I would wait another 5 minutes and disconnect if I had to wait more..I disconnected after 97 minutes on hold listening to their continual messages telling me how great they are. They are absolutely the worst company on earth and I look forward to them going out of business!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I have a router that is about 1.5 years old. After talking to technical support they tell me that the warranty is only 90 days for the hard drive. They also tell me I have a technical issue with my device and if I want help with it I will have to pay $139.99 for a one year subscription. This company is unbelievable. I will never buy a Netgear product again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Something must be going on at this company. They are without a doubt one of the worst customer service departments I have ever seen. The head of this department should be let go! The website is horrible when it comes to ordering online. I have been told by no less than 2 employees to go elsewhere to make my purchase. They have earned my 1 star rating, I just wish a 0 Star rating were available. Really sad.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

You will be automatically charged for security every year even when you choose NOT to auto-renew. I called to disable auto-renew, received confirmation and was charged a year later. I called again and it happen the following year. All support options are turned off if you don't pay so you need to call about "new sales" to get your refund and request the auto-renewal be canceled. The entire system is constructed to prevent you from contacting support for any reason and to charge you blindly without recourse. I strong encourage everyone to avoid all Netgear products.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

When I first got the system it was amazing but within a month it stopped working. We had a friend in IT who got it to work again and within two weeks it stopped working again. Now all it is is an obscene trophy to Netgear's crappy product and the $1,200 I wasted buying it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Spent a lot of money buying this -- had problems from the start getting the satellites to connect. Range was not a problem -- worked with customer service twice -- they were no help. Now they are out of the 90 day customer service and want more money to talk. If you want headaches -- buy this product.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Purchased the Netgear C7000v2 at local box store. Summary, do not purchase. The router was not visible to my security devices and Alexa Echo. When I called support the provider's accent made it impossible to communicate problems. They eventually closed the support ticket by telling me to contact the other device's support team. Note, all the devices connected and work without issue with previous Arris router. When I asked to return the product, after three-four days of frustration, they only offered to replace the product. Again, I strongly recommend you do not purchase this product.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

I purchased Netgear's Orbi RBR850/RBS850 WiFi6 from Best Buy in December 2020. Once I got everything setup, it worked flawlessly providing excellent Wifi coverage throughout the house and backyard. In mid-September, Netgear rolled out a new firmware and since then, I constantly lose my wifi (and Internet) connections. I placed a call to technical support only to be told that I would need to purchase one of their support packages before a technician would be assigned. First, these devices are not cheap (a little over $700 at the time)! Next, Netgear rolls out a firmware deployment (there is no option to disable automatic firmware updates on these devices) which has caused major issues. Finally, when you call to have them fix what they broke, they charge you. Outrageous!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

My router has been going out for a while and I have been able to survive with shoddy service considering I bought this router a couple of years ago. I had no complaints except that it couldn't cover my whole 600 sq/ft apartment and I had to buy extenders on top of it. NOW, my router is barely working and when I want to look up any information on the app it tells me to go to the website, when I go to the website it tells me to update the firmware while also telling me that it's not possible because every support is expired. Come to find out that if you want any help with your Netgear products the SUPPORT ONLY LASTS 90 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE and that you HAVE TO PAY THEM TO LOGIN AND ADDRESS WHAT IS GOING ON after that point.

For a digital product that theoretically should last a good period of time, there is almost no support that is attainable in the long run, therefore forcing their customers to pay for things that most other products come with. It is laughable how unattainable their support is. It is laughable how they assume that this up-charging is acceptable. I will not be buying another Netgear product. You should not either.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

My Netgear router I purchased just 12 months ago stopped working. I called netgear and they told me that there were environmental issues that were causing my router not to work, Called my Wi-Fi provider who basically laughed at this, but they could fix it if I purchased a technical support plan for 134.00 dollars. Did not do any diagnostic checking to determine anything that could be wrong with router, only interested in selling technical support contracts. Would stay as far away from this company and its products as possible. I see now that there are many other people who have been scammed by this company also.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I bought the Nighthawk x6s. I though I was buying from a good company. I was wrong! I will never buy another one of their routers again. I feel like it is a complete scam!! I paid over 300 dollars for my router and it will not update. I have done all the trouble shooting and everything you could possibly think of. Come to find out I find out the only way to fix the problem is to pay for technical support and have them login and fix it. Wow what a surprise huh? It is a scam so that no matter what you do you have to pay them even more money for something you bought was completely their fault to begin with. They do it on purpose so they can make a lot more money. Do not buy Netgear because you're buying a product that is brand new that is already set up not to work properly as soon as you pull it out of the box! Company Is a SCAM.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I won't use a Netgear product again. They are crooks. My Netgear router started losing the Internet 2 months ago. On 9/3/21 a flummoxed techie in India (rooster crowing) raced me through frantic steps for an hour, overriding Norton and entering "unsafe" screens (I got a remote sweep from Norton right after). At the end of the call I mistakenly decided to purchase a one-year contract for $49.99. On 9/6 I emailed Netgear to cancel the contract within the 10-day cancellation period. On 9/12 and 9/13 I phoned Netgear to cancel, and each rep assured me I would get a refund. However, on 9/15 Netgear sent me a strange email saying it would not refund because I had used the contract to get help on 9/3/21. What?! This is an example of how sleazy and unprofessional Netgear is. Get your routers elsewhere.

Netgear Company Information