1.11/5
Based on 61 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

65 f.y.e. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

I always thought FYE was an ok store to buy stuff at. I will never shop there again after what I just went through. They tell you that signing up for a backstage pass is free and doesn't cost money. Then they automatically sign you up for a magazine subscription that you have to cancel separately from the backstage pass (which they never mentioned). The employee in the store flat out lied to me about this and when I contacted customer service they said they had nothing to do with the magazines. They hustled me out of money with their little scam.

Original review: June 27, 2018

FYE Backstage Pass - I am amazed at how many people have been deceived by that 10% discount they offer at this company. Had I just said no...then I wouldn't have been on the phone today demanding back the $144 they took out of my account. It slipped by for over a year and I cannot believe I didn't notice until just last month. Guess I looked at the right time. The employees are taught to lie and that's a BAD way to do business. Eventually FYE will have none if this keeps up.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 19, 2018

I walked into my local FYE and was asked if I wanted to sign up for a free trial. I was told it would grant me 10% off on my purchases in the store in the future if I created an account, so I did. What they didn't tell me was that they charge you at random for the FYE VIP membership even if you never asked for it. I created my account with FYE over 2 months ago and I randomly got a $11.99 Fee for this "membership" that I never signed up for.

After realizing I had been blatantly stolen from, I followed the charge back to its origin and found out that FYE has a common practice of doing this to their customers who create accounts, you're automatically entered into a "free trial period" which then if you don't cancel (and you won't because you weren't informed about it costing money) they'll randomly charge your card you used at the local store a membership fee. I had made a $16 purchase back in April over 2 months ago, yet I was not charged in the following month of May, but randomly charged the $11.99 Membership Fee that I did not sign up for, on June 18th for no reason.

I'm confused why these FYE scammers are allowed to do business. Why are people allowed to backstab their customers by ** them into "hey if you create an account with us, you'll get 10% off all purchases in the future!" when the truth is, the moment you say "Okay!" they add you onto the trial membership and charge your card you use on a monthly basis without your consent, this is fraud and should be vetted out thoroughly and all money stolen from customers should be returned. For your own privacy and money, don't do business with these ** artists.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This is a perfect example for a huge site, which claims to have stuff in stock but certainly does not... I paid overnight shipping and after the order did not arrive I reached out to customer service (Nicole) who gave me a tracking which shows the item never shipped. Nicole now says she needs to "investigate" where the order is (it never shipped!!) before she can refund my order plus the expedited shipping cost - AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I still don't have my money after more than 2 weeks.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Paid them over a week ago to order 3 albums and paid an extra 16.49 for rush shipping which says 2-4 business days. They shipped it media mail which is the slowest cheapest method of shipping and cost approximate 4 and a half bucks. They will NOT refund me for the shipping charges and PayPal sadly says that they don't get involved in the shipping charge aspect. I will NOT do business with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about f.y.e.?

Original review: April 18, 2018

This is the first bad review I have ever written in my life :(. I’m sorry. I feel kinda guilty about writing a bad review but I’m not going to be mean. I will be nice :). Fye backstage pass took advantage of a girl like me. Checking out at fye I thought I was getting a rewards card. The clerk never told me it was a free trial and I would actually get charged! I was rushed through it all. Never told any info about how my card was being sent out to these two companies and the next few days I have these weird charges for these magazines and stuff!

Getting this was super easy getting rid of this and I the charges was really hard. The person first on the phone lied and said I wasn’t charged and then tried to trick me into keeping it but I was strong and I told him no! I don’t want the charge. I don’t want this. This is the most slimy deceiving thing! Young people mostly shop at fye and the goal for this is tricking people into thinking it’s a rewards card rushing them to sign and then taking their money and then when you call they will do anything to keep the money and then confuse you.

Fye I swear to goodness this is the most greedy thing ever, you never told me this was going to happen! I thought it was a rewards card! Fye shame on you! I am so young and poor and I can’t afford to put up with this! Shame on you. Shame on whoever created this because they know it’s a trick. They know this is what is going to happen to young kids. Shame.

Original review: March 13, 2018

When I was checking out the clerk told me about the Backstage Pass membership and that it was free. Imagine my surprise when I check my bank account today and see they have charged me 11.99. Which means they kept my credit card info without informing me. As I signed no agreement for a month to month plan I will be disputing the charge. Shameful business practice.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My first time being burned by FYE was around six years ago when I attempted to preorder a deluxe edition of Mass Effect 3 before it came out when no other companies had any left in stock. FYE said they did and processed my preorder without issue. When the game came out, however, I didn't receive my copy of the game and I wasn't informed of any issue with the order until a WEEK after the game had been released. Recently, however, they definitely outdid themselves. I went into a store at Florence Mall in Kentucky and purchased a few CDs from their store for my car. While I was there, the cashier offered me an opportunity to join the FYE Backstage Pass VIP program that they have there where I could receive special offers and free magazine subscriptions with my membership. The cashier told me it was a one time charge and would cancel automatically if I didn't renew the membership.

I later realized that I was being charged $12 a month for my backstage pass on top of the four magazine subscriptions that I had been signed up for. When I went to cancel my magazine subscriptions, I was unable to do it through the magazine providers themselves. The only way I was able to cancel them was by calling an automated system on my phone and painfully making my way through the channels to cancel my magazines. For every magazine, before it would let me cancel it, I had to sit and listen to the endless amount of shady deals they tried to offer me to avoid me canceling my subscriptions. Many of the deals were unclear where it stated I would receive a "full refund" and "cancel my current term" but then tacked on that I would pay "2 to 3 dollars a month" for the next year. After I eventually canceled my magazines, I had to call ANOTHER number to cancel my backstage pass membership.

When I called customer service, I immediately stated that I wanted to cancel my membership and a refund for my previous charges that I was not informed of. The representative then went on to try to sell me on gift cards and some kind of movie deals that I was "entitled to" and when he ended his spiel he asked me if I was going to look at those and confused I said "okay?" to which he tried to end the call without doing EITHER of the things that I asked him to and said I would continue being charged 11.99 a month. I had to cut him off to get him to cancel it and he still didn't even attempt to help me with a refund. I was so annoyed by the end of it that I knew I wouldn't be helped further and just hung up. I will never go to FYE for anything that I can get somewhere else again.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I as well would love to rate their company a no star. Yesterday, I went to f.y.e. to buy some snacks. The cashier offered me the f.y.e. Backstage Pass VIP membership and indicated that I will save up to 10% on my transaction. I said yes, after I was done signing. He then mentioned that I had 30 days to cancel before the trial ends! That's when I knew that I was deceived! I get out of the store, and I quickly called to canceled. The lady who answer was quick to accept that I needed to cancel the f.y.e. membership. Then I read some of the reviews below. It appears that they also sign you up for a f.y.e. magazine subscription?

I emailed service@fyevip.com to ask if this is true. The representative only emailed me back that the f.y.e. Backstage Pass VIP membership is canceled and that they are not in charge of the f.y.e. magazine subscription and to call 1-877-813-0320. I called, a representative was able to help me. He wasn't able to find any f.y.e. magazine subscription but he gave me a reference number. As well, he said that if it appears in the system, that he will have it canceled right away and that I will not be charged. I hope all goes well, I spent too much time on this. FYE should not have this membership available.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I wish I could give them 0 stars honestly. I was in the store a while ago around the beginning of January browsing for a record to buy as a gift. The record was kind of expensive but I decided to get it anyway. It was right before closing time as there was a "snow storm" and the employees were rushing the customers out so I went up to the counter to pay. The cashier rushed through my purchase and asks "do you want to sign up for this discount card, it will save you 10%" and I thought sure, why not - this is an expensive item to begin with. She did NOT explain it was a "free 30 day trial" to their ridiculous membership. She did NOT mention I would later be charged 11.99$ if I didn't log on and cancel my "subscription" before the 30 days were up.

I find it hard to believe this cashier had time to sign me up for a membership when they were minutes from closing but did not have the time to explain it would cost me a membership fee! I'm not sure if they require their employees to disclose this, or if they just assume everyone reads the fine print on their pamphlets while in line, being rushed out by other employees... I just looked at my monthly bank statement today and saw that 11,99$ fee and was so confused by it.

I literally had to Google what "FYE BACKSTAGE PASS" was because I was positive I didn't make that charge. When I got on the phone with the customer service rep he took at least 5 minutes rambling on about keeping the membership and reducing it to like 4.95$, saying I can use it towards 3D movies or restaurants or something. Couldn't understand the guy. When I told him I just wanted to CANCEL my membership, he tried to tell me he was going to reduce it and is there anything else he could help me with. This company is such a scam and I will never be shopping there again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

F.Y.E. Backstage Pass Blitz Sale - FYE has some cool stuff that I like but one thing I do not like is dishonest transactions. The guy working the register asked me if I would like to be registered into their loyalty program. As with most customers I assumed this would be a program to track purchases and rack up points etc. The guy waits until at the end of ringing me up to inform me that it's $12.00 a month, after seeing I was not pleased he proceeds to tell me I have a month cancel and it can easily be done online with a couple clicks.

So after looking into it you create an account with f.y.e. online then click "cancel subscription". What I don't understand is why when you click cancel online it says "We are processing your cancellation request" then to receive an email saying the same thing and to expect a final cancellation confirmation within 48 hrs just to receive a second email saying I will receive another final confirmation within 48 hrs and that was 4 days ago... I will follow up with the results. (Seems to me f.y.e. is giving me the runaround.) We will see.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

“VIP” membership - What an absolute scam, & mistake on my part. They bribe you in store with a 10% discount, asking you to sign without mentioning the fact that it's a $12 monthly subscription for garbage magazines nobody wants. They know nobody is going to stand there reading the fine print with a line behind them. Hey FYE, if you're so desperate for dollars that you have to trick paying customers into some lame magazine subscription, MAYBE just maybe it's time to call it quits. Nobody buys CDs anymore & nobody wants your garbage merchandise. The only reason I went to FYE (for the first time in 10 years) is to buy last minute T-shirts as a gift. Well, never again. & when you want to cancel, be prepared to deal with an annoyingly upbeat automated system that goes on & on telling you it would be SMARTER not to cancel. Un. Believable.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I am extremely upset at FYE Backstage Pass. I signed up on Black Friday knowing I had till Christmas to cancel. I called the number on the back of my booklet. They gave me a week before Christmas to cancel and the lady tried to encourage me to keep the backstage pass twice. She even offered to reduce the monthly rate. Again I told her no and she very quickly told me she “cancel my service and have a good day” before hanging up on me. No confirmation. No nothing. That should have been my first hint. I got charged at the end of December and January for $11.99 after I canceled my subscription. I called today to get it sorted out and canceled, with a confirmation number, but I can't get a refund. I have never had this problem in the past, but it will be something I will never forget. FYE and the company they use to “gain a profit” have lost my business for life. BTW, the magazines I didn't ask for charged me their monthly rate as well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My 17-year-old son loves FYE. It is one of his favorite stores. He went in a few months ago and was approached about a backstage pass deal and he could save money on the purchase he was making. When he got home and showed me what he signed up for I immediately had him cancel as he did not fully understand what this rip off of a service was. Well, he got a charge on his debit card for $23 a few days ago. Upon further investigation, we discovered it is a magazine subscription that was somehow related to the backstage pass. This was not explained to my son. I have spent countless hours trying to get this canceled with zero help from FYE. I will never shop there again and I will go out of my way to tell everyone I know about our experience as well.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I bought a couple of items at this store. The cashier asked if I wanted to enroll in their loyalty program. I said sure thinking it was like my CVS or Kroger card. I was also told that I would receive a free issue of a couple of magazines. Well, this month I noticed a charge for their loyalty card. Looked at my account and it was charged last month as well. In addition, I was charged for the magazines this month. I called their customer service and asked for a refund since I was never informed by the cashier or the paperwork for the card that I would be charged. They would only refund one month. I had to call another number for the magazines. Fortunately, I was fully refunded from them. I will never shop at an FYE store again. What a scam!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

On September 12th, I ordered two of the dog banks. Got an email from the company that the order was on its way. Sent them several other emails with no response. Never received the items. If anyone has information about this company, please pass it on.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Before Christmas, I purchased a number of CDs at my local FYE, and the cashier asked me to join the VIP Backstage Pass to immediately save 10% got my $120 purchase. I said sure, and he clearly stated that I had 30 days to cancel and owe nothing. He circled the cancellation info on the brochure, and if not cancelled I would be charged $11.99 per month. Well, the "benefits" are not worth that, unless you spend $120 per month!

But I knew I'd cancel, so I said sure. January 5, I call to cancel and a pleasant fellow named Mark asked if I'd be interested if he lowered the price to $4.95 per month. NO! I have zero respect for outfits that choose to do business in this manner. I have a confirmation number, and will watch closely, as I don't trust them. To top it off, this store in the Susquehanna Valley Mall was a pigsty! I know malls are an endangered species, but I've never seen a store in such disarray and downright filthy. Bottom line: be very careful with the VIP Backstage Pass program.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I went into the local F.Y.E. store at the mall because they had turntables on sale, went to the register to pay, and was offered to join the f.y.e. backstage pass club, which was described to me as "free". I was given no membership card, nor was I ever informed I would be charged $11.99 a month later. This is a blatant scam to try to get money from people. I will NEVER shop here again if they are willing to OPENLY LIE to their customers like this.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I ordered five of the dog banks back in August 2017, and I was given a response as a “thank you for your order” via messenger and email! My order supposedly shipped about a month later, But I never received the items. I left numerous emails, and tried calling, with no avail, since the company is not accepting phone calls and the website seems to be down. Interesting. I am furious because I am not made of money, and these banks were for my grandchildren. I requested my money to even be sent back to me if they could not fulfill my order. The customer care or customer service does not return emails either!

So right now, I am out of about $110 of hard earned money. This company is a scam and I hope they get what’s coming to them! How can people run a business or work for a company when they know they are scamming people out there? I believe in karma, and even though I will never see my money for the items that I ordered, for those working there, I assume they evidently do not have a conscience and will get what they deserve!! Shame on you!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I signed up for a free trial of FYE's backstage pass and the cashier told me I had to select some magazines to get a free issue of. There was a long line and my eyesight is bad so if there was any fine print I was not able to see it. Anyway, They apparently signed me up for a year subscription for time and people magazine for a total cost of $108.00. I called FYE's backstage pass service line and was told I had to call a third party. I was sent to an automated line that had no discernible option to get a refund on the amount that was already charged to me. I then had to track down the customer service line for people magazine who could not help me but advised me to call 1-877-813-0320 and then press 0 to speak to a live representative.

The rep for the magazine company was very helpful and has promised to process a refund that will show up within 3 days. While the magazine company itself wasn't necessarily the problem, FYE essentially scammed me out of what for me is a whole week of pay! The whole process of being assured a refund took me hours and many tears (because I am financially incapable of paying $108.00 on magazines and I was very frustrated too). I will never shop at FYE again and I will discourage my friends from shopping there too. I am considering returning any recent purchases and buying the same items from a more trustworthy business instead.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Along with other reviewers here, I too was fraudulently charged for magazine subscriptions I did NOT want! I tried numerous times to correct this and ordered new bank cards twice but they kept charging my account anyway. I ended up closing my account and switching to a new bank altogether over this mess! I will NEVER spend another dime in FYE and if any of you consumers do shop in there, please be safe and use cash... never use a card!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Made a purchase for my daughter at their store in Altamonte Mall. Asked if I wanted to join their rewards club, I was assured it did not cost anything, I didn't want to pay for anything additional. Lo and behold, my credit card starting getting charged a membership fee and magazine subscriptions, which were not authorized. If you ever buy anything at this store using a credit or debit card you need to pay close attention to fraudulent charges for many months or years, the last time we shopped at this store was 6 months ago.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

When purchasing a few items last Christmas from F.Y.E., I was signed up for 3 "free" magazine subscriptions. I cancelled all of them, so I thought. I saw a statement today with a magazine I didn't sign up for, charging me for something I didn't ask for or sign up for. I called the toll free number, sure enough they've had me signed up and charged since December. This was outright fraud and deception.

Original review: July 17, 2017

My daughter's credit card information was taken without her permission, she was offer the backstage pass, she specifically asked if there was any charge for it, they said "NO", she got the papers but never finished the registration process, she made a purchase that same day on the store, and they took her credit card information from that purchase. It didn't happen just to my daughter. It has happen to some of her friends too, and the moms had to get involve to get their money back. They charged my daughter from December 2016 to July, twice in May, they offered to return only 4 payments. I had to speak with a supervisor to get all the payments return to her. Shame on this company, this is stealing and lying, it's a big company shame on them. I will never buy from them again and so is my daughter and her friends. It's not the only company to buy stuff. Don't be fooled and don't trust this company.

Original review: June 29, 2017

If after you start with promo make sure you cancel it afterwards cause they will continue to bill you and even after you cancel the subscription make sure you check your account because I had to cancel it 3 times and they will continue to charge you even with reference numbers. I hope this review is helpful to someone. This company is full of crooks who will try and find any way to scam anyone they can. Absolutely horrible customer service as well. Has people with foreign accents who say their names are example Glen and it's a women with an accent so bad you can't even comprehend what they're trying to say half the time. And if you try to say something they interrupt you.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I hope this goes away finally. I have a confirmation #. I was getting charged $11.99 a month on my Amex for an FYE backstage pass I never signed up for. I tried getting it disputed a number of times with Amex but my name was not connected to the FYE account. To use the pass in the store you need a card I never got and the card and the pass and credit info for my Amex was under my husband's name (different last name than mine) who never goes there. I got a cancellation #. I would love to recover a good deal of money but now all I want to do is make sure that it goes away for good. This seems illegal but if they fixed it (they were certainly efficient about it) I will just leave this review as a warning to others.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I am a regional manager from IBM and I frequent f.y.e. at Northgate Mall for CDS. I encountered the manager there named Tina. She was very disrespectful. Talking on her cellphone while I was requesting a return on a spinner for my son. She also called a associate ** when she sent him to find a item. His name was Terrance. She doesn't need to have a job. She ruins the mission statement of f.y.e. I went to the Cary store. I will never shop there again.

Original review: May 19, 2017

The VIP Backstage Pass is an absolute joke. I received no notification that the trial was coming to an end, I never even made the account, my card was just automatically charged even though I NEVER gave ANYBODY any sort of information. I only used my card when I was checking out. I didn't expect my card to be charged like that but it taught me a lesson to read the fine print especially on a card I don't use that costs $12 a month and $9 to cancel. They don't tell you THAT in the store. I'm not mad at F.Y.E, I would probably even go back, but save yourself some stress and don't buy the pass unless you are 110% sure you will use it. For me, it was a waste of money since I only went in there one time to buy CDs for someone else.

Original review: April 8, 2017

FYE/TME magazine subscription promotion. Purchased items December 2016 at FYE in Jacksonville, FL. I was offered the FYE Pass as a way to save money. I was told there was a $11.99 monthly charge after the one (1) month trial period but the store ensured me they would call to remind me to cancel it a few days in advance. They did, however I missed the call and never listen to the message until after I was charged. No complaints in that regard because they did call me as the implied at point of sale.

My issue is with the 5 monthly magazines that I supposedly signed up for. I am constantly being charged between $2 and $24.50 for magazines I would never buy. I have called several times to cancel them but it's an automated system and I swear to you that even she has an attitude, lol. The automated system continually tries to get you to keep the subscription. No, I want out. I have had to do it for all 5 subscriptions. When I canceled the first one I wasn't even aware of the other 4 and the system definitely does not provide you the option to cancel everything at once. Within 3 months, I have been charged over $100 for this mess. I was excited to save money at FYE that day for WWE items that my son wanted for Christmas but at this rate I could have purchased him a authentic WWE belt. So upset with this BS.

Not happy with FYE's lack of communication regarding the magazines. As the saying goes, nothing in life is free and this my friend is definitely something that is not free. I am canceling the debit card associated with these transactions and will tell my bank to refuse anything from them in the future. FYE now stands for "F You Entirely."

Original review: March 1, 2017

In November 2016 I purchased something from this company. The cashier asked me if I wanted to sign up for their FYE VIP membership. I asked him if it cost anything and he said "There is no fee, it just gives you some perks." Well, I've worked in retail before so I know many times they'll have a goal for this sort of thing. I never shop here but I figured that it's free, so I'll just sign up to be nice. I paid for my purchase with my credit card and left. So now, in March 2017, I checked my bank statement (linked to the credit card I used at FYE). I noticed a charge I hadn't seen before labeled FYE VIP Backstage Pass. So I google it and I realize what it is. Except I NEVER agreed to pay any money for this, and I certainly did NOT give them my credit card number for this purpose. I google it some more, and I find out that I am not NEARLY the only person this has happened to.

So I call their customer service, and I wait 10 minutes for someone to answer. I explained to the gentleman immediately what happened. I tell him that I never agreed to this paid membership, and that they used my credit card for this purpose without my permission. He tried explaining to me what the VIP membership was, and that he would send me the details via mail. I told him that I don't care what the membership entails, as I never agreed to it. I told him that I wanted to cancel immediately and receive a full refund.

So then we went through the ridiculous song and dance. He told me he would cancel, I told him I wanted to cancel AND get a full refund. He tried explaining to me, "Due to the terms and conditions of your membership..." I said I don't care about the terms and conditions as I never agreed to them, my credit card was used without my permission, and I demand a full refund. We went back and forth on this point a couple more times, and he finally said that he would refund me $11.99. I said to him, "You have been charging me for a membership that I never agreed to pay for, and you have been using my credit card illegally when I never gave you permission to use it for this purpose, and you think I'm going to be okay with just a refund of one month?"

He tries spouting some other nonsense, but I couldn't listen to it. He was obviously just reading from some script he has to read from. I told him to please stop with the bullcrap speeches and just give me my full refund. I honestly felt a little bad for him because he must have to deal with angry customers all the time, every day. FINALLY he told me he would refund me the full amount of $35.97. It seems like a lot to go through for such a small amount, but the thing is that they charged me this by deceiving me into signing up for something they told me was free, and then taking my credit card number that I used to purchase my items and using it for the membership (which I NEVER agreed to).

I got a cancellation number, so I will be monitoring my bank account closely to make the amount is refunded and nothing else is taken out, and if I see anything I will be sure to call back. I am not going to let this go until I get my full refund and never see another charge from them. NEVER purchase from this company. I have even seen reviews that cashiers will sign customers up who don't even agree to the "free" membership. This company has some highly fraudulent business practices and I sincerely hope that they receive their just dues.

f.y.e. Company Information