1.18/5

127 World Gym Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Tuesday December 4, 2018. Today I was at the WORLD GYM in San Francisco. I've been a member of the gym for about a year, but in the middle of my work out, Alicia the "Manager" as she stated, came at me around 7:15 p.m. yelling and screaming at me not to use metal plates in the padded area by the front entrance, where I've been using them for about a year. She told me that I have to use those plates on the wooden platforms all the way to the back of the gym. I try to get an explanation as to why would I used metal plates in the wooden platforms and not on the padded areas like I always do.

She then started yelling some more telling me that I have to do what she says or I was going to get kick out of the gym. I really do not know why this happened, because all the staff is usually very professional and friendly. She made me feel harassed and discriminated. I told her that I wanted to cancel my membership and to get a refund for the payment I made in advance for this month. She just ignored me and took the equipment I was using. I went to the front desk to try to get some help and an explanation as to what was happening. She followed to the front desk and kept yelling at me ' I'm the Manager". I really like this gym but I don't want to be treated like that. I have only seen this person for a couple of month at the gym; Can someone please help me to get my money back for the already paid month of December... Please HELP!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Overall the gym meet everyone needs, they have a variety of classes, the weight room, has a variety of machines & free weights. Although equipment is not top of the line, it is always in workable condition. Another good feature, is that it is never overcrowded.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2018

So I lived In Toronto all my life and due to my children and their mom moving to Regina Sask, I left my home in hopes of a better life. Now I had a World Gym membership which I utilized for a good 6 months and of course had to cancel short term due to me moving literal provinces. Now this was around 2015, I recently look at my bank statement to realize they have been charging me for around 3 years a total of around $450. When I confronted them, they took at least a month to get back to me, and stated "if you do not have the cancellation form there is nothing we can do for you." If you have any info on how to take this corrupt gym down please email me or reply. I want revenge.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Okay so it has been my second year at this gym, the first year I just went how I felt like it and I didn't actually get any results, at the end I was just paying for something that I didn't use. This year I decided to take a personal trainer, What a Mistake! I was with this guy from November until beginning of March, yeah I kinda liked it but my experience was horrible. He gave me one diet plan the whole time I was with him (only a few months), I was "Running" after my fitness program that I didn't get, I texted him, called him and each time he said "yeah I'll get it next week." "Oh it will be at the check in tomorrow." "Oh I will send it to you." So at the end, still didn't get a plan, I paid for a semi-private trainer, he was always late and never organized. Finally he was kicked out of the World Gym, OMG what a problem to get another trainer.

I spoke with so much people from the World Gym (+/- in charge). They all said "ah just call the head office". Couldn't get hold of ANYONE! Finally contacted someone who actually could help me. "Btw she was sooo kind and sweet". I told her the situation, she apologized for the inconvenience and told me that I would get a "few" sessions back and that another personal trainer would contact me soon, (all that time I was still paying for the trainer fees like 200$ a month (not the exact amount*) that I didn't get or use. I told that kind lady that I was not interested anymore, I waited so much time, busted my ** to contact someone and wanted to cancel my plan, she told me that I would have a penalty fee that was over a 1000$.

It has been now over 6 weeks that I didn't have any trainer and still paying over 200*$ a month. I'm sick of it, so yeah, the gym is good but don't sign any papers with a coach. What made my experience so horrible with the coach?: Always late, never had my plans, texting in my face when we were together, once he was 30 minutes late, we did a basic training for 15 minutes and after "he showed me the door" like goodbye, we even didn't talk about "me", my goals and stuff like that, isn't that the Basic* thing you should do with a client? Didn't really care about the job (was talking to me about his other job and stuff). With the ladies*! Oh then it was different, when I was coming to train alone, I saw him with other clients (female) then he was always on time, helped them until the last minute but with the guys, he didn't "care".

Original review: July 12, 2017

As soon as I stuck my head in the door, I was swept into a office with a personal trainer... in a rushed meeting with a young woman, who spoke with me about weights and HIIT training and shared she had knowledge about ketogenic diet that I am doing, I stupidly, SIGNED something for personal training... I did NOT have time to read the contract... DO NOT ** NEVER SIGN ANY PIECE OF PAPER THEY SHOVE UNDER YOUR NOSE ** EVER!! I told her "I would never sign up with a trainer, BUT since I like you, and I think in this case only I could work with you, I am going to break my own rule and do this". What a mistake. That is my fault. I also told her I only want to work with a female trainer.

She quit the next week! They assigned me another trainer who mentioned that I should be eating carbs btw... lol, and I was not happy that body builder trainer #1 of course was too good to work there, and left! But the 2nd trainer was not great either, then she quit! 2 weeks later. Then they assigned me a MALE trainer, who was very nice, to his credit, but they were charging me $351.40 for a MONTH for this **!

I was losing it, as a widow with young kids, I was thinking I just made the stupidest impulse decision of my life. I totally was regretting it. Then we got notice at work we were being laid off, most of our department. They would not allow me to cancel the personal training portion, even though I was still paying in full for my monthly membership and "maintenance " (extra charges), I had gone for two months to this ** gym, and the Owner Matt M., Director World Gym, told me he will have to deny my access to the facility. unless I pay him $632.80 for future personal training I did not use and do NOT WANT with male trainers. ** AND CONTINUE PAYING MY MAINTENANCE FEES AND GYM MEMBERSHIP FOR A GYM I CAN NOT ACCESS!!! equalling $984.200. (I was willing to pay a small cancellation fee ie: $100),

Anyways, I went to this gym in Barrie, approximately 8 times and now I am in collections for over $1,700. I think it is closer to $1,800.00 for 8 visits to World Gym in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. They have ruined my perfect good credit, and I will NOT be paying them a red cent. In fact I think the government NEEDS to step in and shut these corrupt and dishonest businesses down. They need to be held accountable for their destruction. They are allowed to "legally" cause people.

They are immoral thugs, who lie, manipulate and ** CHEAT thousands of people out of their hard earned cash, and are rewarded financially for doing it. It is absolutely disgusting and Matt M... these directors of these gyms must be psychopaths to be able to run their businesses like that each day. Their business models are HORRIBLE. Do not sign anything, avoid giving them your credit card info, be aware you are walking into the lion's den when you step foot in that hell hole. Just go to the YMCA, they are the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about World Gym?

Original review: June 2, 2017

I will start off by saying that the initial part of this process was my fault as I realized too late that my credit card had expired. My card was charged and I called to rectify the issue and the woman on the phone was extremely rude and unprofessional which is why I asked to speak to a manager. I had asked for the manager's email and at first, I was given the wrong one. I called back and they gave me the correct email but were unapologetic about the fact that I was given the wrong information.

The manager to this day has not returned my call in regards to paying her directly because her employees seem absolutely incompetent. I called again because the email clearly stated that I'd be able to make the payment over the phone which the employees then told me they couldn't do but a few days prior to that when I said I wanted to make a payment only to the manager, they insisted that I do it over the phone with them. This shows that they're really not trained at all to do their job and anyone off the street can be employed here as long as they're able to pick up a phone and string a sentence together. I asked them when their manager would be in and at first they said they didn't know. Then I heard someone mumbling in the back and they told me she would be in sometime during the week or on Monday.

There is literally no alignment with how things are run and it truly shows that just because it's cheap, it's not actually good. The way I was spoken to was such a joke and being in customer service myself, I've never been so disgusted. The automated email clearly states that you're able to make a payment over the phone but the employees have been given alternate direction. Whenever you go to the gym, the employees are chatting amongst themselves and takes ages to notice whether customers are standing and waiting for them. It is so poorly run and just has been an extremely disappointing experience overall.

You really are better off signing up for a proper gym for 20 dollars more because the headache of dealing with such incompetent people is not worth it. Terrible, terrible gym. I would not be surprised if it went out of business in the near future. Especially the location in Brampton where it's a bunch of entitled kids pretending to do a job they have no idea how to do. The manager, Japneet is a joke and should not be in charge if she doesn't have the courtesy to answer a customer complain or inquiry.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I signed up to join the new gym in October 2015 as grand opening date posted for December 2015, I paid $99.50 (also was supposed to receive $40) as early signup. January 2016 came and gone gym never opened, then I received email postponing opening date until February. They never did then never heard anything. May 2016 came and gym still not open. Then they have the audacity to send my file to collection.

Owner Wes Hodgson is a maggot who steals money from people. Wes call me **; I want full Apology and reimburse my full amount of money since you did not fulfill your contract. I will not stop telling the truth about your SCAM. How can you sleep and feed your family with money you didn't earn properly. Internet is the world best news to spread the message.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Bad customer service - They are all liars there. The people at the front desk are horrible. Me and my friend signed up last year and the lady said that we can cancel anytime provided we gave 60 days notice. I emailed the manager to say I would like to cancel. Nobody got back to me but they kept taking the money from my account and today they called me telling me that I was behind on payments. When I called World Gym they were so rude. The women was so mean. I would never recommend anyone to have a membership with them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

The sauna is in the men's change room. It is dimly lit but appears clean. All was well until a few months ago when signs appeared saying the users must be appropriately covered. Why? It is men's sauna? I agree that one needs to sit on a towel for cleanliness and hygiene but why must we wear swimsuits or gym shorts in the sauna? I have been using saunas at YMCA and University for years and almost every goes nude in the sauna. Why is World Gym getting so puritan about casual nudism??

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Well my story differs from other stories but it has the same end. I went to cancel my contract because I don't have time to join the gym anymore so I thought it's stupid to pay $50 every month I decided to join Planet Fitness which is way closer and more clean than World Gym. Well it's not surprise that too many people couldn't cancel their contract. I was told that or I should be disabled or to move 5 miles away in order to cancel it (by the way I live 4 miles away and that's in Chicago). I asked for a copy of my contract and a blank contract to compare both of the copies. Well I guess I will change my card. They told me that if I want to cancel I should pay the remaining months in the contract and that's 8 total. So approximately 400$ in order to cancel my contract. What a shame.

World Gym expert review by Joey Thurman

World Gym was founded in 1976 by Joe Gold, the founder of Gold’s Gym, in Venice, California. It began as a part of the “Muscle Beach” celebrity fitness scene and is today a franchise gym with 85 United States locations and branches in 16 other countries. It is dedicated to remaining a traditional, no-frills gym experience for those serious about weight training and fitness.

• Focus on weight training: World Gym is best known for its focus on weight training, with state-of-the-art strength equipment including machines, free weights and more.

• Cardio: While World Gym focuses on weight training, it also recognizes the importance of cardio for a healthy fitness routine. Locations feature cardio machines like treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals and more.

• Nutrition: Many gym locations offer a nutrition bar featuring protein shakes, smoothies and more to help individuals prepare for workouts and recover more quickly.

• Services: Certified personal trainers offer classes and personal coaching services at most locations. Other services available at some World Gym locations include chiropractic therapy, tanning, nutrition counseling, physical therapy and more.

• Gear: World Gym offers a full line of fitness apparel and gear on its website and at locations across the world.

• Best for: athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

World Gym Company Information