World Gym

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wish to tell everyone never to give your credit card details to the World Gym, particularly the one in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. I noticed that they had billed me twice the normal fee for a late payment. I called and spoke to one of the staff, who was so rude and uncaring. I called back and spoke to the manager and she claims that the contract I signed gave them permission to bill whatever fee they like for a late payment and that if I had asked, they would have told me it's a 100% fee. I accept that I have been defrauded but I hope no one else has to go through this again. If you are still a member, withdraw your card details from them before they hit you too.

This gym is RIDICULOUSLY HOT. The air conditioning is turned off and huge fans are used in place of it. It has been months since they have not had it on. It is literally hotter inside the gym than it is outside. I complained to one of the employees and she stated that it is "getting cooler outside." It was literally 94 degrees outside at that time. There are also machines that have been broken for over a year even though this gym charges a services fee twice a year (April and October) for maintenance purposes. The water fountain spits out warm water if it is even working (on several occasions it has been out of service).

Kitchener, Ontario World Gym. I just found my contract from World Gym to figure out why a second charge was on my credit card in July. It states that they are charging me extra for a "Rate Guarantee". I had also signed up for some training sessions with a trainer who didn't really want to help me. My sessions were supposed to be one hour long but were only 45 minutes because he spent the last 15 minutes getting paperwork organized, and had me sign my sheet. I didn't even get a last session.

In the fine print it states that I have to pay for 12 months membership, at $19.99 a month plus tax. And after I've paid my 12th month, I can then go in and put in writing that I am canceling my membership, and have to pay an additional 2 months membership fee. This is BULL!!! Also if I move more than 25 miles from a location, I have to pay $100 and cancel my membership. WTF is that crap??? I haven't contacted the actual gym that I signed up at to ask questions. But I'm 100% dissatisfied with this contract. I haven't set foot in their facilities since March, one month after I signed up. The last gym I was a member of would send me emails asking me why I hadn't been in, checking to see if I was ok. This place doesn't care, as long as you give them money they don't give a ** if you show up or not.

The trainers are not 100% certified, and unfortunately in Ontario, Canada it is not the law that you need certification in order to be a personal trainer. After having useless and pointless sessions, I've done my homework in a search for an actual personal trainer, someone who knows how to train someone who just wants to lose weight for health reasons, not build lots of muscles. I don't want to be a bodybuilder, just need to not be overweight, so working on my biceps and triceps are not going to help me do that. Idiots. Make sure you read the fine print before you sign any contract with this gym. They will rob you blind. Seeing as I have to pay $361.44 before I can be free of them, and I know there are people who have paid more.

OK Here's my rant for today. My son dies, I stop life, I stop eating for the last few months and have been under a doctors care. World Gym in Hamburg informs me that even with a doctors note they will NOT extend my contract for the 4 months the Dr. pulled me from there because legally they don't have to. When I asked about morally and out of human compassion Sheena says she will not give me the owners name and will not help me out at all and said have a nice day. Not once did I hear "I'm sorry for your loss" or let's me if we can work something out. Pieces of **!!! (BTW I wasn't asking for a refund only that they add the 4 months I couldn't go to end of contract.)

Updated on 8/1/2016: I posted before about how when I lost my son and wasn't eating World Gym gave me a hard time about asking to put the 4 months I couldn't go (doctor's note) on to the end of my contract. After much complaining and social media pressure the office manager called and said "fine". Then the owner's wife (so she said on the phone) called and bashed me for complaining on this site and she was canceling my membership. Not giving me anything in writing for my records or attorney, and will have me arrested if I show up. I think this is rude, unprofessional and illegal but we will see.

Beware! Crooks! Horrible customer service. Jessica is useless! Joined before they opened and paid a large joining fee. They didn't open on time and I cancelled my account. Months later they send me to collections for $800.00 to a place I've never stepped foot in! They are crooks and there are others who have had problems with World Gym all over. Buyer beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about World Gym?

My experience was with the Sudbury Ontario location. They has backed up pipes in the shower room and the entire room has a strong stench of sewage. The sauna was often out of order. The ceiling was under construction for 6 months. When I tried to rent a towel they would charge me $2 per towel. The customer service was god awful, when I tried to cancel they insisted I needed to visit in person, when I expressed how I wouldn't come back if they were trying to put up obstacles to me cancelling my membership.

The MANAGER then replied that I didn't need to get snarky with her and stated that I just should have asked really nice for a second time and they would've cancelled my service. This is ridiculous I had already called and emailed to attempt to cancel and they refused both times. On top of this I needed to give 60 days notice to cancel so I was charged for an additional 2 months even though I haven't used their facility once this year and it is mid June. It's a cheap gym but you really get what you pay for here. Gym goers beware.

BUYER BEWARE: THIS GYM IS A GROUP OF CRIMINALS. CHECK THE BBB WEBSITE: F RATING. My credit card was compromised last month and I attempted to go in to cancel my membership on April 15th, 2016 as I hadn't been using it. This was before the next charge would go through on the 17th. I was told I couldn't cancel without a manager there who worked ridiculously limited hours. I was given NO ALTERNATIVE as I work during all the days the walk-in cancellation is possible. This is my fault, somehow. Note: Hours for cancellation are limited to ensure you can't cancel.

Today I called because I found out these crooks can send your past due balances to collections. I was then told by the manager that there was a way to cancel remotely, but it involved me paying a past due fee on top of 3 total months of fees (the past due month and 60 days ahead). I asked her why I wasn't given this information before. She then put words in my mouth that I'd gone in there this past Friday (which I most certainly did not) and that was that. When I'm getting screwed by a company, I tend to not be the most pleasant, but this manager was completely unsympathetic and had zero customer service skills. In short, she was the worst.

I am a member for nearly 2 years now and I rarely used the offer that is included in the price of having a buddy with you for free. However, since February of this year, I have been bringing my 26 year old daughter with me as my buddy about twice a week. Every time my daughter must show an ID and fill out a form with her personal information. This is very annoying but understandable for admin purposes and insurance purposes. However the way it is done is insulting and today was even to the point of degrading and could say harassing. Not all, but some of the front desk clerks including Management make you feel that they are doing us a favor of allowing us to have a buddy. Every time my daughter is asked why doesn't she join. Although that is not the problem, the approach and attitude is unacceptable!

Today came the point where I had enough of the attitude and became very upset. My daughter was asked by a front desk clerk to stay back with insulting gestures and attitude. The assistant manager and manager were present and did not say anything about the clerk's attitude. In addition, when I confronted the manager and assistant manager about the clerk's degrading and insulting approach, they denied any type of insulting attitude by the clerk or any other clerk. I questioned why they constantly solicit and intimidate clients and their buddy when it is a promotional offer when you become a member. I understand that this is a method of getting new members but there must be limits and definitely a less intimidating and insulting approach that comes with it!

Instead of the manager and assistant manager apologizing for the attitude that was given by the clerk, they supported it by saying that the clerks never gets any complaints and that all the clerks have a good approach with clients. I cannot accept this intimidating attitude and harassing approach by the front desk clerks and the poor support of management. A gym and their staff is suppose to help relieve people's stress and not elevate it!

If there was a spot for 0 stars, I would give it none. I've been a member there now for 1 year and 6 months. I have had no real issues until they started charging me copious amounts of "Late Fees" each month when my bills are paid on time. I would highly recommend to AVOID THIS GYM at all costs. They are extremely rude, unprofessional, and the facilities are not worth the headache and the contract. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for LA Fitness.

Just joined World Gym Milford Ma. Paid $299. for 14 months. Went to two classes - thought they would be good! Next two visits not the classes on the schedule. Everyone saying how they lie, disorganized people.. So put this on my charge because someone was complaining of something so I made my mind to charge it.. Called my card to dispute this. I explained what was going on.. They had no ink for my contract! Really a businesses which just came down the street not too far. They are not organized! Please let them go out right now - they have 2 or 3 in a class. Not too good.

Worst place ever. Shysters. Ripped me off for $2400 for personal training. Don't give them access to your bank account. Tried canceling Membership, kept charging me. Bad, bad, bad. Hidden fees, Rude People, Bad Customer service!!!

Ever heard of the saying always be cautious when something "sounds too good to be true". This gym is the perfect example of that saying. An absolute disgrace to the society. They will make you sign an absolutely ridiculous contract at the start of your gym term as if you are signing for the Canadian National force with so much forged information. Every few months in between they will charge you with an abrupt amounts for the name of maintenance.

The worst stage comes when you wish to end your own contract. Trust me they will make your life miserable and try everything in the world to stop you from doing that. They will bring up random fees, ask you to send them regular mails, registered mails come in person and what not. Please a huge request to every gym aspirer - STAY AWAY FROM WORLD GYM KITCHENER. ABSOLUTE SCAM!!!

I signed up for 12 months of personal training in November of 2015 with the regional training manager of World Gym and when I was done with the initial evaluation I kept asking for a trainer and got nothing. Now after 3 months of no training they are unwilling to refund me my money and state that I signed a contract that they don't and have not honored and can't get any answers out of them. Now it is a headache because I will probably have to go to small claims court to get my money back and have the fraudulent contract voided and cancelled just to get my money back for services they don't want to provide.

They are crooks and scam artist. I advise anyone who loves to keep their money to never go to this gym and let them go out of business where they belong. Especially DO NOT put a card on file with them because they will keep digging in it for every little crooked thing they can find.

Stay away from World Gym Tonawanda, they are a bunch of scam artists out to just take your money. They will lie to you and tell you anything you want to hear, just to take more money from you. I signed a form on a pad that I was told would lock in the price for a trainer and when I was ready to begin (after tax time, so I could afford it) and that is NOT what Andrea (who no longer works there) had me sign and NEVER gave me the contract. She had me sign for the actual trainer and to start charging a card that wasn't mine and I had to get permission to use.

Secondly, I signed for 12 for 12 MO at 300, which means 12 sessions in 12 months for $300 total or $25.00 a month. Andrea did not enter in the payment box $25 like stated in the description, she entered $45.00, so they are charging me $45.00, which is not what was agreed upon and because, they are the only people who see the screen and they read the information off to you, you are trusting their word. DON'T TRUST THEM!!!

I went to Keith (one of the "managers" there) and he said he will not do anything about it, it was signed and that's what they are going to do, even though that is not what I was told. I asked him last night, how much to cancel my contract and he said he had no clue and when I asked him again today, he miraculously knew, but last night he had to idea. What kind of manager doesn't know how the contracts work. If this is what World Gym hires, then they must not care about their customers at all.

Keith at World Gym gives them a bad reputation, especially when you can see all the signs of a fraudulent transaction, especially when 4 months has gone by and I have never used one single training session because, I had no clue that's what I really signed for and the card is not mine, but my mother's. Which I am not an authorized user on the account, so I had no right without written consent to make that transaction and Andrea was made aware of that. Her words were, "We will not charge your mother's card without her consent or a different card issued in your name is given".

Stay away from these scam artists! They don't care about their customers or any situations that they were wrongfully put it, due to their lies!!! And Keith could give two ** about the customer, he is there just to get a pack check. He will last just as long as Andrea and Andrea lasted about 3 months and now she is gone. Good luck World Gym and your scam artist employees. Have a great day!

I pay $20 a month for this gym, that's with tanning, bringing a friend, and they have great hours! But really, if you miss a payment they charge you $35! That's how much a bank typically charges for an overdraft fee! That's ridiculous, and they just take it out of your account anytime they please.

New member: I kept noticing huge sweat spots on ALL equipment paddings. I asked if staff could help clean the equipments. Manager had a HUGE attitude about it!! I guess he forgot I was a customer? I joined World Gym & it's so much cleaner!!!

About a week ago this gym took way more than they should have out of my checking account. Because I live paycheck to paycheck, I suffered serious ramifications because of a mistake that they made. As a result I called everyday for 7 days to find out when the money will returned to my account and I have gotten a different answer every single time I called. The staff and the district manager (or should I say his wife) are some of the rudest people I have ever met. Also trying to cancel your membership is another problem in itself. I would recommend that you go to a different gym to work out. The minute you have a problem, people treat you like you are in the wrong and hold you hostage to your membership. Anyone who is reading this, run as far away as you can...if not you will be treated like dirt by disrespectful 20-something people, and the district manger lets his wife fight his battles!

It is marked everywhere they close at 22:00 on Sunday. The lifeguard knows well I never stay more than 15 minutes, he still shuts the spa off right on my face telling me it was the time to shut it down, leaving me practically speechless. I can't believe it!!!

Stay AWAY from this gyms! I went in to their La Quinta location for a 2 week "Free Trial," and according to Ken (manager) and Jim (district manager) I am locked into a 1 year membership. What? The only thing I did was give a deposit (this is how they got my cc) to start the trial, signed a certificate for the trial, and now that signature is being used as a contract! I let them know I wasn't happy with the place since the gym is filthy, weights everywhere, rude staff fighting each other, no parking, and the list goes on and on. Please do not make the same mistake I did and sign anything. It's a trap to get your cc and start billing you for something you aren't going to use. And to make things worst I've gotten billed twice this month. Just stay away, far away from this mismanaged joke of a gym.

TERRIBLE GYM, TERRIBLE STAFF and terrible customer service. They make it impossible to cancel your membership. The customer service reps are completely rude and disrespectful. I'll be making sure no one ever signs up with these horrid people.

They have no organized way of keeping track of their customers and payments specially for people that are getting trained with VISHAL ** who is also ELF FITNESS. World Gym Vista overcharged me then demanded more money from my bank account not consulting with me first even though I was paying cash every month already. They didn't care to check either. When I tried to reach John who is one of the owners of the gym to let him know how disappointed I was, he literally screamed at me "stop coming to my gym then if you're being overcharged" and then hung up on me making me feel super uncomfortable, threatened and to never wanting to go back to that gym.

Vishal then called me immediately and tried straightening things back to normal. If I did stop going to World Gym Vista then that meant I would also have to stop my sessions with Vishal **. He asked me to come to his office and please consider me staying at World Gym Vista. He even gave me back partial of the cash that I was overcharged and tried apologizing for John and his behavior. When I went back after this whole fiasco I had missed 3 weeks of sessions. All this time World Gym Vista and ELF FITNESS aka Vishal ** was also taking money from my bank account.

When I finally went back, Todd who is also one of the owners wasn't aware that Vishal had spoken to me already said "You're not allowed in". Vishal came over and awkwardly said "no we straightened things out". I communicated and asked Vishal if we can move our sessions somewhere else because I didn't feel comfortable at all but he said "no". I also asked him due to my situation if we can do it at the other World Gym in San Diego, he said "not at all". So then I asked him what should I do?? He said "I will still be taking my money out from your account regardless of what happens. Otherwise I will take you to court for the 900+ you still have until your sessions are over or you can opt out of your plan and pay 590."

I asked him over and over "HOW CAN I GO TO MY SESSIONS AT WORLD GYM VISTA IF I FEEL HARASSED THERE AND SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE??" Vishal said to me "not my problem, I still will get my money. Otherwise I will take you to small claims court!" I tried working with him even offering going down the street to 24 hours where I also have membership but he said no. Has anyone else had any problems there??

I would not recommend this place. The customer service is non-existent. I should have paid attention to the horrible reviews instead of wasting my money.

They charge additional $40 for credit card did not go through! They said they contact me via email when the payment did not go through! When I ask them why not to call me. They said: they have 10 thousands + members, they cannot call everyone! What a idiot answer! They do mean: "I don't care about you! We have enough members/money!" I did not get the email from them. (I did get them email for newsletter only!) The worst membership experience! W** gym company!

The equipment was worn out and the temperature in the gym was VERY high. I decided to end my membership early. I went in, paid the 20.00 cancellation fee. The employee never recorded it. One year later I have a collection agency after me saying I owe 180.00! I only had a 1 year membership at 10.00 per month. How is it 180.00 and now it’s on my credit report. Out of desperation I told them I would pay the absorbent fee if they removed it from my credit report and they said no. Do not join this gym, they are nothing short of evil. I no longer have the paperwork or even the order number to protect myself.

I signed up for a personal trainer mid February of this year. I have found the trainer to be immature and unprofessional. I have also informed him of certain back issues that I have so that he can keep that in mind through our training sessions. At times I've told him that the particular exercise caused me a lot of back pain for days after which he disregarded!!! Lately he is showing up late to sessions or not at all!!! Which I message to no response!!! He won't respond to set more appointments and he owes me a sessions for what I've paid. World Gym will be taking more money out on the 15 of this month!!!!! Overall when my contract done I'm done at World Gym. Sketchy company and immature ignorant staff.

How can a business have such a lack of compassion for customers with extenuating circumstances and that may need to cancel a contract. In particular: World Gym on Sheridan Dr., Williamsville NY. The manager ** said they doesn't care about the circumstances someone is under and will not make an exceptions. My daughter has recently had a child, and is unemployed. The only money she receives is child support, yet World Gym will not cancel her contract without her paying a cancellation fee and continues to automatically withdraw money from her account, which is in turn child support for my granddaughter. I can't believe a business feels comfortable stealing money from a baby's mouth. Unbelievable!

I was in the shower, they told me they're closed. I come out of the shower, they called the cops on me. There was two cops in the locker room just because I didn't come out of the shower when they closed.

I have recently joined World Gym and decided to hire a personal trainer. I have been paying 196.94 plus taxes bi-weekly and I've received minimal training. My training sessions have gotten cancelled or never rescheduled. I visited the establishment today and I advised them that I want to cancel my personal trainer contract due to unsatisfied service and was told by the Asst. Manager that I am unable to cancel because I have passed my 36 days of membership, but I do not see that listed anywhere on the contract nor was I verbally told. I am unhappy and I want my money back.

I liked the trainer there ** very much, but will never go back due to the shady business practices of the owner. I put her training sessions on my credit card $660 for 12 sessions a few days ago. I have yet to use any of the sessions. The gym charged me that along with a 1,980 dollar charge!!!! When I called World Gym I spoke with a woman and she said that it was the fault of ABC Financial and was very kind telling me she would clear it up. I also called ABC Financial myself and they said they have no documentation of me in regards to World Gym. I call my CC company and we obviously believed I had been part of a scheme or fraud and my credit card was canceled.

Now we all know the annoyance of cancelling a card and having to stop all set up payments and redo online banking. The women from World Gym apologized profusely when I called back and said it was actually on their end and that World Gym falsely charged my card close to 2,000 dollars and she said she went ahead and fixed it. Obviously I was uncomfortable with their practice and decided to not do business with them anymore (not due to the trainer who is excellent) but because of the business end... The entire situation with my CC was extremely unprofessional. When I called the trainer, she was horrified to tell me that the owner refuses to reimburse me for any of the training sessions I bought and had not even had the chance to use! So bad customer service to the nth degree here.

I told them I did not want their business due to what I think is really poor business practice (charging people almost 2,000 dollars and blaming another company for their mistake) and the owner is basically saying "tough" we will keep the $660 for the 12 training sessions you applied to your credit card on the 15th or April which we charged an extra $2,000 on top of that a day later and even though you cancel basically a day later 19th all due to their poor business practice but sorry we will keep the $660. What kind of business messes up so big time and the owner takes no blame and then steals $660 dollars from you for training sessions you will never attend due to their mistake in the first place!!! I am fighting this bill. Who pays for a service they never used due to the company's mistakes???

World Gym Company Profile