World Gym

Stars Rating

• 92%
  • 8%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about World Gym?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about World Gym?

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2015

TERRIBLE GYM, TERRIBLE STAFF and terrible customer service. They make it impossible to cancel your membership. The customer service reps are completely rude and disrespectful. I'll be making sure no one ever signs up with these horrid people.

Reviewed July 16, 2015

They have no organized way of keeping track of their customers and payments specially for people that are getting trained with VISHAL ** who is also ELF FITNESS. World Gym Vista overcharged me then demanded more money from my bank account not consulting with me first even though I was paying cash every month already. They didn't care to check either. When I tried to reach John who is one of the owners of the gym to let him know how disappointed I was, he literally screamed at me "stop coming to my gym then if you're being overcharged" and then hung up on me making me feel super uncomfortable, threatened and to never wanting to go back to that gym.

Vishal then called me immediately and tried straightening things back to normal. If I did stop going to World Gym Vista then that meant I would also have to stop my sessions with Vishal **. He asked me to come to his office and please consider me staying at World Gym Vista. He even gave me back partial of the cash that I was overcharged and tried apologizing for John and his behavior. When I went back after this whole fiasco I had missed 3 weeks of sessions. All this time World Gym Vista and ELF FITNESS aka Vishal ** was also taking money from my bank account.

When I finally went back, Todd who is also one of the owners wasn't aware that Vishal had spoken to me already said "You're not allowed in". Vishal came over and awkwardly said "no we straightened things out". I communicated and asked Vishal if we can move our sessions somewhere else because I didn't feel comfortable at all but he said "no". I also asked him due to my situation if we can do it at the other World Gym in San Diego, he said "not at all". So then I asked him what should I do?? He said "I will still be taking my money out from your account regardless of what happens. Otherwise I will take you to court for the 900+ you still have until your sessions are over or you can opt out of your plan and pay 590."

I asked him over and over "HOW CAN I GO TO MY SESSIONS AT WORLD GYM VISTA IF I FEEL HARASSED THERE AND SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE??" Vishal said to me "not my problem, I still will get my money. Otherwise I will take you to small claims court!" I tried working with him even offering going down the street to 24 hours where I also have membership but he said no. Has anyone else had any problems there??

Reviewed July 9, 2015

I would not recommend this place. The customer service is non-existent. I should have paid attention to the horrible reviews instead of wasting my money.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 14, 2015

They charge additional $40 for credit card did not go through! They said they contact me via email when the payment did not go through! When I ask them why not to call me. They said: they have 10 thousands + members, they cannot call everyone! What a idiot answer! They do mean: "I don't care about you! We have enough members/money!" I did not get the email from them. (I did get them email for newsletter only!) The worst membership experience! W** gym company!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed June 13, 2015

The equipment was worn out and the temperature in the gym was VERY high. I decided to end my membership early. I went in, paid the 20.00 cancellation fee. The employee never recorded it. One year later I have a collection agency after me saying I owe 180.00! I only had a 1 year membership at 10.00 per month. How is it 180.00 and now it’s on my credit report. Out of desperation I told them I would pay the absorbent fee if they removed it from my credit report and they said no. Do not join this gym, they are nothing short of evil. I no longer have the paperwork or even the order number to protect myself.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 13, 2015

I signed up for a personal trainer mid February of this year. I have found the trainer to be immature and unprofessional. I have also informed him of certain back issues that I have so that he can keep that in mind through our training sessions. At times I've told him that the particular exercise caused me a lot of back pain for days after which he disregarded!!! Lately he is showing up late to sessions or not at all!!! Which I message to no response!!! He won't respond to set more appointments and he owes me a sessions for what I've paid. World Gym will be taking more money out on the 15 of this month!!!!! Overall when my contract done I'm done at World Gym. Sketchy company and immature ignorant staff.

Reviewed June 11, 2015

How can a business have such a lack of compassion for customers with extenuating circumstances and that may need to cancel a contract. In particular: World Gym on Sheridan Dr., Williamsville NY. The manager ** said they doesn't care about the circumstances someone is under and will not make an exceptions. My daughter has recently had a child, and is unemployed. The only money she receives is child support, yet World Gym will not cancel her contract without her paying a cancellation fee and continues to automatically withdraw money from her account, which is in turn child support for my granddaughter. I can't believe a business feels comfortable stealing money from a baby's mouth. Unbelievable!

Reviewed June 7, 2015

I was in the shower, they told me they're closed. I come out of the shower, they called the cops on me. There was two cops in the locker room just because I didn't come out of the shower when they closed.

Reviewed May 27, 2015

I have recently joined World Gym and decided to hire a personal trainer. I have been paying 196.94 plus taxes bi-weekly and I've received minimal training. My training sessions have gotten cancelled or never rescheduled. I visited the establishment today and I advised them that I want to cancel my personal trainer contract due to unsatisfied service and was told by the Asst. Manager that I am unable to cancel because I have passed my 36 days of membership, but I do not see that listed anywhere on the contract nor was I verbally told. I am unhappy and I want my money back.

Reviewed April 21, 2015

I liked the trainer there ** very much, but will never go back due to the shady business practices of the owner. I put her training sessions on my credit card $660 for 12 sessions a few days ago. I have yet to use any of the sessions. The gym charged me that along with a 1,980 dollar charge!!!! When I called World Gym I spoke with a woman and she said that it was the fault of ABC Financial and was very kind telling me she would clear it up. I also called ABC Financial myself and they said they have no documentation of me in regards to World Gym. I call my CC company and we obviously believed I had been part of a scheme or fraud and my credit card was canceled.

Now we all know the annoyance of cancelling a card and having to stop all set up payments and redo online banking. The women from World Gym apologized profusely when I called back and said it was actually on their end and that World Gym falsely charged my card close to 2,000 dollars and she said she went ahead and fixed it. Obviously I was uncomfortable with their practice and decided to not do business with them anymore (not due to the trainer who is excellent) but because of the business end... The entire situation with my CC was extremely unprofessional. When I called the trainer, she was horrified to tell me that the owner refuses to reimburse me for any of the training sessions I bought and had not even had the chance to use! So bad customer service to the nth degree here.

I told them I did not want their business due to what I think is really poor business practice (charging people almost 2,000 dollars and blaming another company for their mistake) and the owner is basically saying "tough" we will keep the $660 for the 12 training sessions you applied to your credit card on the 15th or April which we charged an extra $2,000 on top of that a day later and even though you cancel basically a day later 19th all due to their poor business practice but sorry we will keep the $660. What kind of business messes up so big time and the owner takes no blame and then steals $660 dollars from you for training sessions you will never attend due to their mistake in the first place!!! I am fighting this bill. Who pays for a service they never used due to the company's mistakes???

Reviewed April 5, 2015

I wanted to cancel my kid's swimming lessons and ** and ** from World Gym in Eastlake Chula Vista are giving me a hard time. ** said come back bec. ** is not around to address the issue. I told ** I will come back at 12nn the next day. When I came back, ** said he already left? All I want is to cancel the lessons that have not even started yet. ** called me again & said come back this Monday April 6. Hope this will be over with for I am not going back to talk to these dishonest people again!!

Reviewed March 15, 2015

I have complained to the front desk every time I show up and there is no instructor for the scheduled group classes. At first I thought it was due to growing pains (the gym just opened), but now almost a year later I see that it is a general attitude, a bad attitude among the staff who are hired to do the group classes and those in management that these instructors are accountable (or not accountable to). It seems the instructors and the management have very little respect for other people's time because the class does not run as scheduled approximately 50% of the time. Today, with 15 people waiting, some disrespectful yoga instructor did and did not even bother to call to let us know she was not showing up.

Reviewed March 10, 2015

This filthy excuse for a gym changes managers and trainers as often as most change their underwear. I was sent to collections for a training fee. I'm in the gym 2-3 times a week and no one ever said a word to me. Then I find out my credit card is declining the charge because they manually enter the numbers and riving THEY were getting it wrong! I tried paying my balance and they still left the collections on my account. After a year of this I'm getting a lawyer...

Reviewed March 7, 2015

The last few weeks have been uncomfortably hot in this gym; the temperature has been between 73 and 74. For a while it was much cooler (after people complained) but now it's back to a temperature more suited to sitting at a desk. Both OSHA and The American College of Sports Medicine have temperature guidelines for aerobic, cardio and weight training areas: 65% to 68%...not even close to the temperature in this gym. A few of the people who work there (** and **, in particular) are sensitive to complaints and will adjust the temperature but for the most part it is just too hot! I know there are a few people who get cold but they can put on sweatshirts, etc. I've often had to leave after 10 mins. because I feel so lethargic and slightly sick (Normally I never work out for less than 70 mins.).

Reviewed March 5, 2015

My husband and I signed up for a World Gym membership in November of 2014 to help him recover from his chemo treatments following a Stage 4 Lymphoma diagnosis. My husband has been a track coach for 30 years and recently one of his former athletes asked if he could accompany us to the gym to train with us. World Gym, Barrie, Ontario, accused of us of hiring a personal trainer and told us we weren't allowed to train together. We have witnessed multiple teams of people who workout together but apparently we weren't allowed to. The end result was that they revoked our membership and they won't return our fees of approximately $160. It is pathetic that they have to centre out someone who is trying to recover from a life-threatening diagnosis in order to make a statement. Shame on you World Gym. Your behaviour is despicable. I will continue my efforts to have the funds returned through social media and small claims court.

Reviewed March 2, 2015

I have been to a lot gyms across this great land and the World Gym in Niagara Falls, is by far the worst. They have packed it to the gills with young kids from the high school and thus this gym has the feel of working out at a high school gym (mind you I have no problems with kids working out, and think it's great, provided they follow gym etiquette and probably, should have some adult supervision).

The staff is rude. They never great you, or talk to you. If you have a complaint, they are great at lip service and not fixing the problem. The free weight room is generally a mess. Plates and dumbbells are rarely re-racked (to the point of it being a safety issue). Patrons of the gym are rude and completely lacking in knowledge of gym rules etiquette. Staff does nothing to teach them (a "hey you need to re-rack that" goes a long way). I watched a kid try squatting 400 to 500 pounds with no spot or clamps the other day. He dumped all the plates on the floor, making a huge noise. Not one staffer came to see what had happened. Someone is going to get hurt in this gym! The staff turns a blind eye to all that happens, oblivious to everything around them.

In December, I paid for a year. Gonna kiss that money good-bye and move to another gym. If your serious about your workout, this is not the gym for you. Do yourself a favor, pay a little extra and find a real gym. I have to say, the history of World gym contains some incredible athletes. I am very disappointed in what it has become. It is not about the lift, or physical fitness, it's about the money. Plain and Simple!

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2015

The staff is rude and have no one to answer to so customers are treated like garbage. The night attendant DAN, told me to shut the ** up when I told him the time was not changed on the clock for daylight savings. This was not the only time that he was disagreeable. I even complained to corporate which they never addressed. I was out of my 2 year contract and still had to pay for 2 additional months and the current month that started 2 days prior. Terrible people running a gym, make a bad gym.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2015

My husband and I signed up to the World Gym in Cheektowaga NY, a suburb of Buffalo. Their address is 540 Dick Rd. Cheektowaga, NY, phone - (716) 681 -7535. The problems with the staff began almost immediately. We were five minutes late (maybe even less than that) picking our daughter up at the daycare in the facility, and they had an absolute tantrum about this. After this incident, it was as if they were snotty about every little question or complaint we made to them. I paid extra for a personal trainer. Didn't really click with her so I switched to another one of their trainers that I felt more compatible with, and after that, the old trainer gave me dirty looks, and appeared to be complaining about me to her co-workers, which I just chalked up to being my overly-active imagination.

After this, things just got worse, and every time we came in, we were getting dirty looks from the staff, and if we had any questions, we were treated as if we were interrupting their day and being a bother. One day, I had to step off the back of one of the treadmills because their equipment is so close together, I didn't think there was enough room to step off the sides. As soon as I stepped off, I twisted my ankle, and it began to swell to the point that I had to remove my shoe immediately, and was almost in tears. The female manager immediately came over and informed me that I stepped off the wrong way and it was my own fault. I immediately accepted the blame for this, as I did not stand accusing anyone nor did any one person (employee) offer any assistance, ice, bandage, "are you ok," "can we assist you in any way?" My husband started complaining (not raising his voice) but complaining none-the-less, and we were immediately informed to leave the premises and were told that we were both banned for life from the premises.

What kind of people are these? What kind of company sells a franchise its name, and allows them to go on using it without checking to see just how they operate? Now when I think of World Gym, I automatically think poor service and heartless employees. Very vindictive and childish behavior for a company which I assumed was of high caliber to be treating the public, people that are supposed to be members of their so-called club, and pay good money to go there. I tell everyone I know, and every chance I see, like this one that World Gym is the worst gym you can ever join! Stay far away from any business that is allowed to carry this name because it is only going to be bad news! They are despicable people and I'll never have anything to do with that company or any of its subsidiaries, if I can help it!

Contract & TermsPrice

Reviewed Jan. 5, 2015

I quit this gym today. Not only was I required to pay two additional months, (which I expected, it's in the contract) but I was also required to pay a 19$ "Fixed price guarantee" that fixes my rate for the next six months!!! Even though I was quitting!! I complained and I was threatened with being sent to collections. Who runs a business like this??? STAY AWAY. It's a dirty gym anyway. You could do much better for the money.

Reviewed Dec. 18, 2014

Deceptive Business Practices. Beware. I will never, never, never subscribe to a World Gym again. I was a charter member of this Gym. I purchased a home in another state in a location where there was no World Gym. When I tried to resign, I was told I had to physically come to the Gym to resign. When I returned to town, I went to the Gym. I was charged a 60 day membership fee for cancellation and required to pay a "rate guaranty fee", even though I was no longer a member of the club. This is reprehensible customer service with a complete lack of customer relationship management. I can only assume that the club is in dire straits and that they need funding so badly they must resort to these practices. I may have been adversely selected because I am a senior citizen. This is a very inexpensive Gym, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2014

The initial contract was for 9 months at $10 a month, for a total of 90 dollars. Sounds cheap right? WRONG! After the first five months I stopped going, and tried to cancel. I tried by email, they said they need voice verification. I tried over phone, they said they need a post vouched letter. I tried by letter they said they need to see me in person, obviously stalling at this point. I finally tried by person and they said the contract has been AUTOMATICALLY RENEWED for another 9 months and I can't cancel until then. They've charged me $10 a month for two years now without stopping, and every month or two throw in 24 dollar "service charges" randomly for no reason whatsoever.

Apparently the renewal and the $24 charges were on the back side of the contract page, which the person who gave me the contract conveniently didn't point out was there. I threatened to block them from my debit account, they threatened to send "collection agents" to terrorize me. Basically I have to live with a monthly $10 off my paycheck with occasional $24 now, even though I haven't seen the inside of that gym for ages now. World gym is a scam. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2014

If you want a gym with immature employees including management, then this is the gym for you. It is clean but that is the only plus. Watch your billing too, they overcharge my account all the time.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

I signed up a year ago and I've been so disappointed with this gym, I barely go anymore. When it rains, the roof leaks water in the women's section. The floor is soaked and the roof drips on the entire 2 back rows of machines. There are rarely any clean towels to use for wiping equipment down. Their child care employee is awful. I brought my 2-year old once and would never do it again.

The girl who watches the children sat there with her arms crossed as we walked in. She didn't come over to greet us or make my son feel comfortable. She didn't even ask his name. He was the only kid in the room that day and she couldn't even say hello to us? The entire staff is similar to this. They rarely greet you when entering the gym and good luck if you have a billing issue. They don't work with you. They recently gave me a very hard time about a billing error on their end. It took weeks to be reimbursed. I don't recommend this gym to anyone. Pay the extra to go to a real gym.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Every 24 months, you can freeze your account for two months at a time. When I talked to them TWO MONTHS AGO telling them I wouldn't be able to pay for TWO MONTHS, I wasn't given this option. They called me just now to tell me I was late on another payment. I asked them what that's about when I said I wouldn't be able to make any payments. The guy I talked to said I should have been given the option to freeze my account, but now I have to pay 60 dollars for the last 2 months that I wasn't able to use the ** gym. Apparently they can't backtrack for the last two months because their system doesn't work like that. He then offered to let me freeze my account for the next two months, when I just told him I would be able to start back up on my payments in three days. My contract is over in February and I will NOT be renewing.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I signed up for a contract in 2012 and went for my years worth of the contract. While I was there the gym wasn't kept that clean. The employees would bring out "clean" towels to use on equipment; however these towels were not properly dried and still damp, which spreads bacteria. After a few times of this happening near the end of my contract, I stopped going. Only to realize after a year of my contract ending, I was still charged as if I signed up for a new contract!!!! Apparently you have to go to the gym and cancel the one year contract. When doing so they also require a termination fee! I don't ever recommend anyone attending this gym.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I signed up for World Gym In April, was told by a slim blonde female that there was a gym in my area in Michigan. Since I wasn't sure I wanted to sign up since I was moving she guaranteed me there was one there. I moved to Michigan to find out there wasn't a gym in my area at all!!! I called to cancel my membership & they told me it was 100 dollars to cancel since I signed in a contract. If I knew there wasn't a gym in my area I wouldn't of signed up in the first place knowing I was moving!!!! So I check my bank account & there's a 35 fee & a 10 fee taken out on the behalf of World Gym.

So I paid $98 for the starting membership, $10 for the monthly, plus another $35 for the insufficient funds & now they want me to pay for $100 to cancel because I moved after signing up only because I was told there would be a World Gym in my area? Not to mention the ONLY TIME I'VE BEEN TO THIS GYM WAS TO SIGN UP!!!! $243 I’m paying out to gym I attended ONE TIME & was given false information too. I know they aren't that desperate for customers. The gym is actually nice! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR WORLD GYM CHEEKTOWAGA, NY!!!!!

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2014

In the beginning of Jan. 2014 I went into World Gym on Sheridan dr., Williamsville NY and signed a three month contract with the "personal training director" Cyle **. The contract signed was for a complete gym membership as well as 3 months of personal training 3x/week, 1hour sessions. I was guaranteed this price $300/month, for all three months (with the first month being higher approx. $480 b/c of a "sign up fee" and 3 month gym membership), and signed the contract for each month.

Yesterday (2/12/14) my 1st month was complete, I was under the impression I was to simply pay for month two $300 price guarantee. However Cyle and the "assistant manager" Emily pulled me into his office stating he got "in trouble" with his Regional Manager Joe **, because the price he guaranteed me (that he got approved by store manager) was too much of a discount. Cyle told me he scheduled an appointment with Joe ** to discuss this but he couldn't make it at the last minute. (Literally found out 10 minutes before appointment.) Cyle continued stating that because I was given such a significant discount, the Regional manager has been fired, and he now must increase my monthly payment by an additional $300/month. Total almost $600 per month.

I told Cyle I am in a legal binding signed contract and he cannot raise the price, he very rudely stated I no longer can have personal training at their gym if I don't pay the extra money now. Very unprofessional, rude, and unethical! Today I got in contact with the Regional manager Joe **(who per Cyle ** was fired), at the Hamburg NY location; he stated he had no knowledge of this situation whatsoever, and he never had an appointment to meet with me. He stated would look into and call me back. Clearly this was a strong arm attempt to scam me out of extra money. I have visited 5 other local gyms and none of their prices were near as expensive as what Cyle was trying to get me to pay. I am very furious, but most of all disappointed that the gym I put so much pride into coming to has done this to me. Something needs to be done so this doesn't happen to someone else.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2014

I've been trapped in a membership at the World Gym in Milford, MA. The equipment is in disrepair: one Smith Machine has been "temporarily out of order" for almost two years. The bench pads are all torn or cracked. Almost half of the weight pins for the machines are missing. Maintenance is put off for months and the moving parts on the machines are never oiled or greased. There is dirt build up everywhere. On one weight rack someone wrote "dirt" in the dust about 18 months ago and it's still there. Dust bunnies abound under the racks, piles of sand and dirt are also there.

The trash cans are never emptied, there is overflow piled up around the base of the cans. Empty water bottles and Monster cans lay on the floor for days at a time. I have gotten a rash twice from dirty equipment, my doctor said it was actually a fungus and it took two weeks of pills and skin medicine to get rid of it. The past two summers I got poison ivy each time I wore a sleeveless shirt to the gym - three times total. It's long sleeves since then. One of the women behind the counter likes to reply to my requests with a "** you." She is the same one that, when a teenaged girl enters the gym, says in a loud voice, "I'd eat that all night long," and other phrases in the same vein.

The music is always too loud and when I ask them to turn it down, they turn it up so loud that I can feel the subsonics pounding on my chest. It easily overwhelms my noise cancelling headphones. That same woman says "** you" after doing this. When I complain they tell me to stop coming to the gym. I ask them to cancel my contract and I get told that whether I come to the gym or not, a contract is a contract and I need to keep paying. Don't sign up for World Gym, go to Golds, Work Out World, Planet Fitness or any other gym but NEVER to World Gym.

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2013

I am a member and $10.00 a month is taken out of my check each month. I was told by an employee that the amount is taken out on the 19th. On the 17th, it was submitted to my bank and was rejected. I went in immediately and paid the money that I owed. The employee "Ivy" said that the fee of $35.00 would be waived as it was obvious that I was having difficulties with my financial institution. Going in the next day, I was again told by other employees at the desk that the fees were waived. Look at my bank account and they had taken out $35.00 fee for a transaction dated back 14 days prior. In calling and talking to the very rude owner, Matt, I was told the employees did not give the correct information. He does not stand behind his employees and specifically said "For $10.00 a month we cannot afford to not charge the fees". For someone to have that kind of control over your bank account is a bit scary especially someone that does not stand behind his employees.

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2013

I got help from our attorney general here in Ohio. Anyone else in Ohio went through this crap? Mine was supposed to be a free 30-day trial. As you know, I went 2 times and on the 3rd, the doors were chained, locked and a sign (BUSINESS CLOSED DOWN). Would you ever think or worry about this? Because it was only a 30-day trial not a contract. I found out the collection company is in Colorado, but from INDIA, Okay, what is up?????? I go this Friday to court, Oct. 25th, 2013 10 am. Clark Co. municipal courts. Any takers? The gym I am speaking of was in Fairborn, Ohio between 1999-2001. That's where I worked on those years. Couldn't have been no other. Due to in 2001, I was in a work-related injury in a car, that I had to have neck and hip surgery. No gym work out for me. Never since that. Anyone that lives in Ohio, come on down. Let's get these scammers here in Ohio also. It happens all over the USA.

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2013

Beware, I can't believe this can really happen. I didn't sign a contract of any kind. I have what I filled out for the free trial. I didn't feel out my medical?? Okay, you scammers, I will be in court. I really want to see what a lair looks like. Any support from anyone who has had a bad anything with World Gym. Wow. Oct 25, 2013 10 am Clark Co municipal court, Springfield, Ohio.

Contract & TermsSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2013

Going to court on the 25th of this month, Oct. 2013. Any help out there??? I thought it was a 30-day free trial, not a nightmare. I went 2 times and on the 3rd, the doors were chained shut and a sign, "Business closed down." So why worry. I never signed a contract of any kind. Only that these companies sell bills to each other and try to get money they are not owed to. What a scam. I had two brain surgeries and yes, I do not need this stress. I will see them in court . A lot of other states' attorney generals are suing these scammers. I pray our state, Ohio, will. Watch out honest people .

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2013

Back in 1999-2001 at work, AARP came in and gave us all what we thought was a free 30-day trial at Worlds Gym. I filled out for only the free trial. I went 2 times, and on the 3rd time, the door was chained up and a sign business closed down. This was in Fairborn, Ohio. This is crazy. I have to go to court on the 25th of this month, Oct. year 2013. They say I owe them almost $7,000. I never signed a contract. In 2001, I was in a car accident at work, had to have neck and hip surgery, so I know I didn't go after that. It took years of PT and doctors to get better. Still bad health and bone and joint disease, so couldn't go if I wanted to. So no way I owe anything. I never signed a contract. They closed down. It was on the news. Help, anyone.

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2013

I was employed by them a while back. They make the sales people work 55 hours weekly, one day off only. That's not even the bad part. They won't let us have lunch breaks, working 9 hours a day or more. We can't eat there either because they say it will stink up the gym from the smell of food. We can't request days off unless it's a death in the family or some medical condition, so that means we practically are slaves to them. There are bonuses in which the employees get paid under the table to say the least. There is much more that goes on but I'm going to leave it at that.

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2013

So I went to check out my credit report today and noticed a random charge for just over $1000 dollars on my credit report. I have no idea what it's for, or why it's there. The address listed isn't mine. I call the number on the report for the credit collection agency and find out it's World's Gym. They are saying I owe them for monthly fees for a membership I closed 3 years ago in writing. It was a $10 a month, "no obligation" membership. They didn't send a bill, make a phone call, or anything. I closed this account in writing. I guess after 3 years, they decided it was time to try and get some money. I will probably end up having to take them to court to get it off my report. Watch out for these crooks.

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2013

When I joined the Worcester World Gym, I went in KNOWING I would be leaving the area in six months and expressed that I wanted to have no commitment to the employee. We discussed the $10/month plan no commitment, then I asked if this allowed me to bring a guest. She informed me it did not and that to do that I would have to pay $20/month, and I agreed. So I used the gym for a few months and then August came. Today, I went in to cancel when I was informed that I was signed up for a 12-month commitment. Well yes, I did sign the contract where 12 month commitment was checked off in the EMPLOYEE USE ONLY SECTION. I was not made aware of this at the time of signing. I am appalled that the employee did this, her name was Amber, ESPECIALLY after we had just discussed how I needed to have no commitment because I would be leaving.

The manager that I spoke to when I attempted to cancel told me, "Well she's a manager and not some newbie. She trains people and there is no way she made a mistake." He was rude and dismissive and did not care about helping me at all and told me to fill out the survey which I am sure will do nothing. I paid the $99 cancellation fee after twenty minutes of trying to explain to this ignorant person that I had been misled. His best defensive was "Words bleed, paper reads". If this company is any sort of legitimate business I should be reimbursed for their manager's folly. But I will doubt that will happen and I am certain that I will warn my friends of the misdeed.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2013

I was told that the membership I bought was month to month and that I could cancel it anytime. NOT SO - they lie! And they are charging me for a bunch of extras too. I have called three times to clear up these unauthorized charges and they are both rude and dismissive.

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2013

Son signed up for one month membership online 11 months ago. Received bill for $115.50, hasn't been back since. General Manager Matt at Fort Myers FL, was rude, threatened me, he would call the cops on me because I said It was bull, and now owes $162.00. You advertise one month for a low price, and then all of a sudden it is a monthly contract. Also told me to go ahead and call a lawyer because they have thousands of lawyers every day that deal with this. Right there, shows an issue, or maybe I should say scam.

Contract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 27, 2013

On May 25th, 2013 at about 4:pm I stepped inside World Gym (number 6933-37-27718 located at 12155 Palm Drive in Desert Hot Springs, California 92240 tel. 760-329-8504) to ask and get information about the Gym fees and services. As soon as I walked in, an employee by the name of ** approached me and offered to help. I asked about the Gym membership fees and services and I told him that my son and I are interested in becoming members of World Gym. He immediately offered to give me a tour of the gym which I gladly accepted. He then asked me to have a seat so that he can explain membership fees. I explained that the membership would be for me and my son. He said that because my son was only 14 years of age I had to do two separate contracts, one for me and one for my son and I agreed. My contract was $50.00 initiation fee plus $1 for card and $20 a month, a total of $71.00 for my contract.

My sons membership was $50 initiation plus $1 for card and $10 a month a total of $61.00. In total I paid $132.00 for two separate contracts. ** explained that this was an open contract and that I could terminate my membership at any time without early termination fees. He also explained that if I was not satisfied with the Gym services for any reason, I had 30 days to cancel my membership and I would get a full refund on both contracts. Because of the gym's unsafe practices and machines I decided to cancel my membership. On June 27, 2013 I went back to the gym and talk an employee by the name of ** who introduced himself as the Gym manager. I advised him that I wanted to cancel my memberships and get a refund on my membership fees. He immediately asked me for a piece of paper that I had never seen or heard of.

I explained that ** never asked me to sign that agreement nor did he ever mentioned it. ** said, "Oh well that's why he doesn't work here anymore, he was very shady like that". I asked **, "What else can I do?" and he answered, "Well you're just out of luck, without the paper I can't do anything." My son and I just stood there thinking he was just kidding but he wasn't. ** said without that paper he couldn't do anything and because he is the manager there is no one else I could talk to. He said that the owner's name is Jim but he couldn't give me his number. He said that Jim visits the Gym Occasionally, as if he was suggesting I continue visiting the Gym until I find Jim, a person I don't know what he looks like. ** said that the only thing he could do is cancel my membership without a thirty day notice.

At this point I asked ** to cancel it and I left the Gym without a refund. I looked on line to see if I could find a 1-800 number or a website to file a complaint or just to see if I could get my money back, But ** was right there is no one else to talk to or even file a legitimate complaint. I think it's unfair for any business to held customers responsible for their employees mistakes. As I Explained to **, if ** would have asked me to signed and acknowledge an agreement, the Gym would have a copy of it and I would have abide by it. The fact is that they don't have that copy because I was never presented to me in the first place and the fact that he no longer works for the company is not my fault I think the manager should have check his paperwork and advised me that there was a document missing in my agreement.

This is definitely the manager's fault and not mine, as he made it seemed. 30 days later I still get harassed by World's Gym billing company and World Gym employees about late fees and unpaid bills. ** the manager couldn't even get that right. A monkey could do a better job at managing places like these. Do yourself a favor, save yourselves a headache and stay away from World Gym. Many gyms offer better services and safer workout areas. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My friend and I signed up at World Gym (January 2013) on what we thought and were told was a Month-to-Month contract and at no time was I aware that the membership was for a year long. My friend does not reside with me, but since we work out together, we went on the same membership. I now am turned over to collection for $195.00 worth of fees for his monthly charge and mine. I've mailed certified letters to both the gym and their company that calls to hound us to pay. Today, I've been turned over to PCM Financial. They are attempting to collect a debt and this will potentially affect my credit score. I am livid to say the least. The only paperwork I signed was a health waiver holding the trainer I paid "harmless" for any injuries I incurred while he was training me. They NEVER gave me a contract and specifically told both of us that it was month to month, NO sign up fees, to just pay first and last and that's it, simple..... Well, it's not so simple because now they are still charging me.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

They promised me a no contract, $10 a month membership. They took it automatically off of my debit card. I paid this for years even after I moved out of the area. My card number changed and I thought it was not a big deal because there was no contract. Today my brother, sister-in-law, mother, father and ex-boyfriend's brother received calls on their cell phones with a message that "they could not stress the importance" of. They told me I now owe over $900 and threatened to sue me. Do not believe the no contract line.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

World Gym are thieves. I went 2 months before my contract ended to cancel it. They told me I couldn't till the day before. Then I did that and they told me to call ABC Financial to do it. They told me to email them my account number and they told me that's it. It wasn't so. 2 months after my contract, I'm still paying. Someone told me how by email and I showed the guy my confirmation and he said he would take me off and he lied. They charged me again and I lost the email and they refuse to let me talk to the manager telling me that if I refuse to pay, it will go to collections. I have another confirmation of canceling but it doesn't matter. They are lying thieves. Don't go.

Contract & TermsPrice

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2013

World Gym is attempting to collect $330 for monthly membership fees that were canceled last March. They have continued to hit my bank account until the account was closed last June. After several attempts to take care of the account in person last year, I have gotten nowhere and am sick of dealing with them. The contract was for two years and that was satisfied before cancelling. Also, if a fee is past due, the membership is placed on hold barring access. So the fees here being charged are for a service that was not realized. Also, the fees are twice the cost of the normal yearly cost. I have also incurred charges from my bank resulting in me closing that account?

I realize that the cost to defend a $330 bill is not worth the effort and that is what this company depends on. They plan on reporting it on my credit rating, so I guess that means they will put a judgement on me without me knowing? This company has an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau and 54 complaints all similar to mine on this corporate company. Looking for advice to make a decision whether to fight or allow them to rip me off. Also, I should state that I am on a very low income with a special needs child. I really can't afford this. Thanks.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2013

Back in 1999, I got what I thought was a free 30-day trial. I went 2 times, and on the 3rd time, there was a large sign (business closed down). So I never thought of it again. In 2012, I received court papers stating 2 judgments were won against me. How? I never got a summons or any court papers saying I was to be in court. Over $6,000. Wow, how can they do that? I have contacted the attorney general, the governor, and the president. This place and more. I found out 197 complaints in ILL, 64 complaints in Ohio, and many other places. I wrote CBS who did a story on them (rip-off, scam, fraud). Any help out there?

Customer ServiceCoverageSales & Marketing

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2013

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. They seriously don't give a flying ** of what you think, and make it a point to let you know that every chance they get. Don't bother signing up for their VIP membership because it's ** when they say you can bring a friend. If you dare bring one, they'll harass the hell out of them with long forms which are 5% insurance waiver and 95% sign up for their promotional crap. They force you to fill it out every time you go in there. Stay far away from this place.

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2012

They outsource their membership management to a company called ABC Financial and they are just money-grabbing thieves. They will pelt you with dozens of unexpected hidden fees and convenience fees. I've spent several frustrated hours on the phone with these guys to no avail. Take my advice, do not join this gym with their sketchy business practices and unfriendly staff. Terrible customer service. Awful gym.

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2012

I only did a 30-day trial and went only two or three times, and the third time, they were closed down business. Now 10 or more years later, I am getting sued in court for over $3,000. I only apply for credit; I never signed a contract. They are trying to garnish my wages.

Reviewed Aug. 13, 2012

I have tried to cancel my membership since April. I went into the facility in Montgomery, IL and they told me I had to cancel on the Internet. I went to the website and it states to contact the facility to cancel. I have sent four emails attempting to cancel. I canceled the direct deposit for the monthly dues and now, they are charging me double. I keep advising the billing company who states that they only do billing and the gym has to cancel. I just called the gym again and they stated the manager has been on maternity leave since April and who knows who I have been talking to. I get auto responses back but the membership goes on as well as the charges. What do I have to do to get this resolved?

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 22, 2012

On 1/05/2012, I went to World Gym due to they were offering a free trial for 30 days to try there gym out. The manager said it would be $34.99 for the month and if I wanted to continue let him know. I filled out paperwork on my health and what I want from the gym, and then he charged me and that was it. I didn't get any paperwork back. He just said, "You have 30 days to enjoy the gym." So the next month, I noticed the charge and was confused and called and they said it would be charged back. Now six months later, they are still charging me and now I have to go into the gym to cancel. I think they are liars and just take you for granted. Most of all, this gym is very dirty, classes suck, toilets are always dirty, and the services sucks. It's terrible. I just can't believe this gym..

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 19, 2012

They are trying to charge me almost $4000. I got a free 30-day trial and never signed a contract, only an application to see if I would qualify. I went between 1999-2001, not sure when they closed. I only know because my work at the time was Dayton Medical Labs, and I was in a car accident in April 2001. So I must have gone before that or maybe after neck surgery. But I know I went 2 times, and the next time I went, they had a sign saying it's closed down. Now all of a sudden, I get a court summons to respond to or they will put a judgment against me. I recently had 2 brain surgeries. I don't remember dates too well. But I do know about going 2 times and the next, they were closed down. Please, if you have the date the Fairborn, Ohio one closed, please send it to me for the court. God bless and thanks.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

World Gym in Lowell, AR - The fitness classes are extremely overcrowded and dangerous. I have been turned away from participating several times when the room was just too full. Why don't the owners expand in order to accommodate their customers? They don't want to put any of the profits back into the facility. Most of the time, the locker rooms and swimming area are dirty. You can see rust on the metal coverings on the walls. There is an appalling lack of equipment and amenities such as towels and hand sanitizer. The staff at the front desk is oblivious to anything going on in the facility. Once you enter the doors, you are on your own! I can't wait for L.A. Gym or some other fitness club to come to the area and give World Gym Arkansas some competition. I’m just waiting on my contract to expire so I can leave!

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The World Gym at the Fairfax, VA location decided to take "holiday hours" starting on June 30 and continuing through July 9th for the July 4th holiday. I signed up for this gym solely because it is supposed to be a 24-hour gym and do not understand why "holiday hours" need to span 10 days for a 1-day holiday. On a multitude of occasions, the gym has closed without notice and closed early for the convenience of the staff. I have never encountered a business that would provide convenience to the staff over the clientele. This is simply a sorry excuse of a business practice. I did and do not pay for a 24-hour gym to have it randomly close and close so early that I cannot use the facility for weeks at a time just for the convenience of the staff. This is not how the professional world operates.

For this particular instance, I asked for a pro-rated credit for the week seeing as to how I would not be able to use the facility at all for the entire week due to their "holiday hours". I was told that they can change the hours as they see fit at any point in time. When I asked, "Then, why is this gym advertised as a 24-hour gym?" The "managers" merely shrugged their shoulders. They refused to give a pro-rated credit so I requested to cancel my membership. My response from the manager of the gym that I have been a patron of for 3 years now was, "Sorry to see you go." When I asked for a corporate number, I was refused that piece of information as the "manager" did not want me to contact the corporate office to inform them of the incompetence that runs rampant at the Fairfax World Gym location.

Due to this flagrant violation of the advertised "24-hour" gym and terrible and unprofessional service, I will be contacting BBB and contacting the corporate business office. This location is a sad cry from anything professional by any business standards. I have been in the fitness scene for almost 10 years now and have never had such a terrible and unprofessional experience. I urge anyone that is contemplating joining this gym to urgently reconsider and pay twice the amount to go to a different gym as it will be worth it.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Please go somewhere else. They lied consistently and took no responsibility. Their service (including their manager Stefanie) is laughable in that there was no service or attempt to resolve anything. I have worked in customer service positions for over a decade and am disgusted with their poor treatment and deceptive practices. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but if there are not applicable consumer protection settings in place, I hope this review will help warn people about this location.

After I signed the contract, I was invisible to the staff, getting no tour, no assistance, and no cleanliness. That was prior to my problems with the business. When I joined the gym, I was told that the membership was for one year and was advised of the penalties for terminating prior to the end of that year. I remember asking if it was only for a year, and the man who was signing me up said yes. Unfortunately, I was unable to keep going to the gym after the first 2 months but understood about the termination fee and decided to just let the membership lapse after the end of the year.

18 months after signing up, there were still deductions being made from the account. I went into the military location and told the person there that I was not told and did not intend for the contract to auto renew and wanted the membership terminated immediately. The desk representative said that she had taken care of it and there would be no further debits from the account. The account where the debits were being made from was subsequently changed, and the issue seemingly resolved, even though I had paid for an additional 6 months of a gym membership we had only intended to pay for 12 months (and was only used for 2 months).

Now, I've received a collections notice for $362.70. When I received this collections notice, I contacted the location. I was advised over the phone that all of the contracts auto renew and that cancellation must be done in writing. Neither of which was advised either during the initial sign up or when we verbally cancelled at the gym. The representative also stated that it is their practice to just keep billing if the account on file doesn't work to a set amount and then sell the account to a collections agency.

I may have been naive in thinking that when I asked questions prior to signing the contract, they were being answered honestly and that I was signing a one-year contract that would have to be renewed the following year. And again, I came into the gym to cancel the contract and was advised I would no longer be charged. But in a basic search of complaints regarding World Gym, I found numerous references to similar billing issues.

Either this is an accepted business practice to train employees to unethically lie to potential members and then again to members who want to cancel their membership or an instance of employees making mistakes. But it is unethical to hold someone accountable for $360.00 sent to collections after already paying $220.00. There should be some company accountability for misrepresentation and lies. Based on the service I have received, I have come to the conclusion that this is an accepted money-making practice. It is disgusting, and they should be ashamed.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

I became very close friends with the staff and they would give free food once in while. The owner found out about it and fired one of the staff members and banned me from the gym calling me a thief but he is still taking the payments even after I confronted him. It's not right and I want it to stop please.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I attended this gym this morning with my mother on recommendation of my sister. She had attended in December on a week trial but decided against it because of the high monthly cost. We were on the second day of our weekly trial and the manager, Jake **, we learned, came into the private women's gym area and aggressively walked up to me and accused me of cheating him and coming twice. I was confused and told him my sister had come months earlier and this was my first time. We are twins and do look similarly but with different hair. He became irate and yelled at us, trying to embarrass myself and my mother in front of a crowd of people, cussing at us and leaning in on me. I’m a 5'1" small woman and he’s a 6 feet muscle head. The whole thing was surreal as he escorted us out and threatened to call the police on us. I tried to explain the silly, simple confusion but he just over talked and yelled. I have never dealt with this sort of experience in my life.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2012

I was told and verified by the store manager that the contract was for 2 years only and we could renew later if we chose to. When asked about the length of the contract, he reinstated that it was only 2 years. When asked about canceling, he said we could at anytime. No more information, fees nor paperwork was given.

When asked about paying by month, he has said that we would need to pay regardless of how many times we came in. When I asked specifically about December and that we would not be able to attend because of our Christmas assistance program taking all our time. She said that we are allowed one or two months of non-payment if we cannot attend. We understand that busy schedules sometimes get in the way.

Almost three months into the program, my husband injured himself badly. He could not walk nor do any exercise without pain shooting down his back. He thought he just pulled a muscle. He wound up being in bed for 6 weeks and barely walking. When I called the gym to let them know he would not be coming in due to the synoptic nerve injury they said, No problem, let them know when he will be back. He couldn't go back. But I also noticed that we were still being charged. So I called again. No one answered, so I left a message. In fact, I left three messages in total and none called me back. So, I went online, found the website and emailed customer service. I mentioned the situation and complained about paying the months that we had not attended. No response.

I called the number sometime in April or May. I told the lady about the situation. She said that they could refund the money, only part of it, with a letter from the doctor's office. (Which I tried to get a couple of times but after no return calls, I got too busy and could not continue to follow through). I also told her that I did not think that we could continue the contract and asked if we could cancel. She said there was a cancellation fee. I didn't have the money so I figure I could let it run it's course. I had already sent an email through the contact us link stating, I wanted to cancel my policy and would not be renewing. I didn't know that I had to give them another written form, since I had already email them and asked them to cancel the policy. (Which I copied to the main customer service email and sent to our local World Gym.)

Eventually, I got through the to our local gym and complained about the automatic withdrawals even when we were told that this would not happen. The young man on the other line did finally told me that no, that wasn't the case and he didn't know why Mike would say otherwise but he would let him know I called. Mike never called me back, ever. So after trying to straighten things out for three months, my husband just told me to let it complete the contract time. Contract expired in October, now in March, we are getting bills. We weren't aware that we were still paying until we got a bill for $182! We called and the girl said, the contract was an auto renewal! What?!

I had called, left messages and emailed both the local and the 800 number, only to continue to pay another 2 years! She said that it was in my contract. That I had to give them at least thirty days noticed. I gave them a one year notice! She said, I needed proof. It has been over a year; surely they are not going to have the messages nor my email on their system. What is going on? I bet they deleted and ignored me just to make me pay. I told her this was fraud. Neither did I asked them to continue my contract nor did I give them permission to continue to automatically withdrawing from my account. She said it was in the contract! So, me cancelling one year ahead of time does not count? She said that I had to prove it. Don't they record there things?

We work in the nonprofit setting and share one income, we can't continue to pay for nothing?! This is the 2nd complaint I have filed.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2012

This is about the World Gym on Rt. 22, Brewster, NY.

The cleanliness of the locker rooms is an ongoing issue as is the disrepair of the equipment (2 of the 2 stationary bikes skip or make grinding noises) as well as the locker room. A door to one of the three shower stalls is broken and therefore the shower is rendered useless. The water in the sinks in the ladies locker room drips constantly and the sinks plug up. Only one of the two outlets works. All these problems have repeatedly been reported to management with no response.

But today, at 6am after working out for over an hour, I discovered no hot water. I left a note about the hot water issue today at the desk, but since no one is in until 8am this may not get fixed in a timely manner for all the other poor soles who need to shower before work!

This gym is open 24 hours and if there were a real problem, there is no number to contact management. This hot water problem is the last straw. This place needs a thorough overhaul and inspection. Why are they allowed to keep this place in such poor condition - where is the health department?

Price

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2011

I had signed a 5-month contract with Pro Fitness inside of the world gym facility in Niagara Falls, NY. I told the trainer that I only wanted to do 5 months and was not interested in extending, if I changed my mind, I would come in personally to extend. They charged me an additional $60. I called them and they said I could email a request to cancel. I sent about 10 emails, 32 faxes and a certified letter. I went in to the World Gym and gave them an alternate card, as I was cancelling the card that Pro Fitness was stealing off of. I told the girl to take the future payment right then and there and I asked if we were all set as I did not want them to try and bill the card I was cancelling and then get hit with an insufficient funds fee, and she said yes.

Well, I looked at my online statement today and was charged $45, my $10 membership fee and $35 for trying to bill the cancelled card. Well, if I didn't give them the new card, how could they bill? They are scammers. I called and they said a manager would call as soon as they got back from the store. Needless to say, I am still waiting. I am cancelling that credit card and will never allow another company to auto bill, as a result of this. I am on a fixed income and now that I have been raped by them, I have to cancel my credit.

Reviewed Dec. 24, 2011

I had a very unpleasant experience at the Fairfax, VA World Gym facility involving the receptionist, Jenny, who was working last 23 December at 7:00 PM. I had requested a printout of my billing for the year the previous day (22 December at 6:00 AM), and I was assured that the document would be available for pickup today (23 December). When I asked Jenny if the document was available, without even looking, she told me that there was nothing there and that I should call for myself since the manager was not available. She was busy on her personal computer, and apparently did not want to be distracted. I was incredulous that she would not even look and tell me to call for myself when I had done so the previous day.

She continued to tell me that I shouldn't have an attitude and that I was acting like a jack **. She repeatedly called me a jack **, at which point, I told her that I was done speaking with her. She continued to be argumentative and make obscene gestures as I walked away. Later, Jenny returned with the envelope in hand and proceeded to throw the envelope at me. She told me that her manager would take her side--I guess she never heard about customers being right.

I am a very nice person, and do not have a temper and kept my cool the entire time, but this behavior was extremely unprofessional. I routinely help keep the gym clean when I come in at my normal time of 5:00 - 6:00 AM during the week. I routinely rack weights when other people leave them, and I pick up litter off the ground. I am a senior manager with a large multinational corporation, and I have never, in my professional career, been treated with such disrespect. I will strongly recommend my friends and co-workers to avoid this facility as a result, in addition to immediately cancelling my membership.

Contract & TermsSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2011

World Gym is a dirty little gym in La Quinta, Ca. It is overcrowded, has poor parking, and broken equipment. My wife joined through her work. We are on a 1-year contract, but originally it was sold to her as not a contract, because it was through work. Needless to say, it is not used, because it is a horrible little gym. Now they have told me that to quit, I need to send them a "certified letter" 30 days prior to the end of my contract date. Total scam. Now, they have charged me $60.00 for enhancements this month.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2011

I emailed members service to cancel the personal trainer because they were charging me $100 a month and they never told me that it was going to be for that amount. They said that it was going to be $40 a month. They sent me a confirmation by email that they will cancel it. Well, when I checked my bank, they were still charging me $100. I got a 2 year contract supposedly because from where I work, we get discounts. Well, I truly regret getting this. They lied to me.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2011

The gym closed several months ago. We have contacted several locations and tried several Internet sites in an attempt to cancel our membership. Our account has been sent to a collection agency, and the amount is growing. Still, we have been unsuccessful in cancelling our account.

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2011

I signed up 7 months ago for a standard gym membership. I showed up for my work out one morning. The doors were locked as the gym has closed down. They also stated that another World Gym location would be honoring our memberships. The problem is that this gym is too far away, located in a different city in the suburbs. I was very disappointed and immediately set out to find another gym nearby. I was surprised when they ran my monthly dues a week later off of my credit card. After having my credit card company investigate that payment, the following month they ran it again.

At that point, I realized they are running a scam. I cancelled them completely off the credit card. A week later, I received a bill from a collection agency for my dues. They said my contract is for one year and they have the right to close any location they like. This is crazy! Does anybody have any thoughts on my options, as I don't need the collection agency damaging my pristine credit?

Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband, who has had several strokes, signed up for an executive locker. When the extra $50 came out of my account, I asked at the gym. They told me my husband signed and has a 2-year contract, it can't be canceled unless within 3 days. I found out three days after it was deducted and they would not cancel. $10