2.5/5 (186 ratings)

About World Gym

World Gym Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about World Gym?

Original review: July 9, 2015

I would not recommend this place. The customer service is non-existent. I should have paid attention to the horrible reviews instead of wasting my money.

Original review: June 14, 2015

They charge additional $40 for credit card did not go through! They said they contact me via email when the payment did not go through! When I ask them why not to call me. They said: they have 10 thousands + members, they cannot call everyone! What a idiot answer! They do mean: "I don't care about you! We have enough members/money!" I did not get the email from them. (I did get them email for newsletter only!) The worst membership experience! W** gym company!

Original review: June 13, 2015

The equipment was worn out and the temperature in the gym was VERY high. I decided to end my membership early. I went in, paid the 20.00 cancellation fee. The employee never recorded it. One year later I have a collection agency after me saying I owe 180.00! I only had a 1 year membership at 10.00 per month. How is it 180.00 and now it’s on my credit report. Out of desperation I told them I would pay the absorbent fee if they removed it from my credit report and they said no. Do not join this gym, they are nothing short of evil. I no longer have the paperwork or even the order number to protect myself.

Original review: June 13, 2015

I signed up for a personal trainer mid February of this year. I have found the trainer to be immature and unprofessional. I have also informed him of certain back issues that I have so that he can keep that in mind through our training sessions. At times I've told him that the particular exercise caused me a lot of back pain for days after which he disregarded!!! Lately he is showing up late to sessions or not at all!!! Which I message to no response!!! He won't respond to set more appointments and he owes me a sessions for what I've paid. World Gym will be taking more money out on the 15 of this month!!!!! Overall when my contract done I'm done at World Gym. Sketchy company and immature ignorant staff.

Original review: June 11, 2015

How can a business have such a lack of compassion for customers with extenuating circumstances and that may need to cancel a contract. In particular: World Gym on Sheridan Dr., Williamsville NY. The manager ** said they doesn't care about the circumstances someone is under and will not make an exceptions. My daughter has recently had a child, and is unemployed. The only money she receives is child support, yet World Gym will not cancel her contract without her paying a cancellation fee and continues to automatically withdraw money from her account, which is in turn child support for my granddaughter. I can't believe a business feels comfortable stealing money from a baby's mouth. Unbelievable!

Original review: June 7, 2015

I was in the shower, they told me they're closed. I come out of the shower, they called the cops on me. There was two cops in the locker room just because I didn't come out of the shower when they closed.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I have recently joined World Gym and decided to hire a personal trainer. I have been paying 196.94 plus taxes bi-weekly and I've received minimal training. My training sessions have gotten cancelled or never rescheduled. I visited the establishment today and I advised them that I want to cancel my personal trainer contract due to unsatisfied service and was told by the Asst. Manager that I am unable to cancel because I have passed my 36 days of membership, but I do not see that listed anywhere on the contract nor was I verbally told. I am unhappy and I want my money back.

Original review: April 21, 2015

I liked the trainer there ** very much, but will never go back due to the shady business practices of the owner. I put her training sessions on my credit card $660 for 12 sessions a few days ago. I have yet to use any of the sessions. The gym charged me that along with a 1,980 dollar charge!!!! When I called World Gym I spoke with a woman and she said that it was the fault of ABC Financial and was very kind telling me she would clear it up. I also called ABC Financial myself and they said they have no documentation of me in regards to World Gym. I call my CC company and we obviously believed I had been part of a scheme or fraud and my credit card was canceled.

Now we all know the annoyance of cancelling a card and having to stop all set up payments and redo online banking. The women from World Gym apologized profusely when I called back and said it was actually on their end and that World Gym falsely charged my card close to 2,000 dollars and she said she went ahead and fixed it. Obviously I was uncomfortable with their practice and decided to not do business with them anymore (not due to the trainer who is excellent) but because of the business end... The entire situation with my CC was extremely unprofessional. When I called the trainer, she was horrified to tell me that the owner refuses to reimburse me for any of the training sessions I bought and had not even had the chance to use! So bad customer service to the nth degree here.

I told them I did not want their business due to what I think is really poor business practice (charging people almost 2,000 dollars and blaming another company for their mistake) and the owner is basically saying "tough" we will keep the $660 for the 12 training sessions you applied to your credit card on the 15th or April which we charged an extra $2,000 on top of that a day later and even though you cancel basically a day later 19th all due to their poor business practice but sorry we will keep the $660. What kind of business messes up so big time and the owner takes no blame and then steals $660 dollars from you for training sessions you will never attend due to their mistake in the first place!!! I am fighting this bill. Who pays for a service they never used due to the company's mistakes???

Original review: April 5, 2015

I wanted to cancel my kid's swimming lessons and ** and ** from World Gym in Eastlake Chula Vista are giving me a hard time. ** said come back bec. ** is not around to address the issue. I told ** I will come back at 12nn the next day. When I came back, ** said he already left? All I want is to cancel the lessons that have not even started yet. ** called me again & said come back this Monday April 6. Hope this will be over with for I am not going back to talk to these dishonest people again!!

Original review: March 15, 2015

I have complained to the front desk every time I show up and there is no instructor for the scheduled group classes. At first I thought it was due to growing pains (the gym just opened), but now almost a year later I see that it is a general attitude, a bad attitude among the staff who are hired to do the group classes and those in management that these instructors are accountable (or not accountable to). It seems the instructors and the management have very little respect for other people's time because the class does not run as scheduled approximately 50% of the time. Today, with 15 people waiting, some disrespectful yoga instructor did and did not even bother to call to let us know she was not showing up.

Original review: March 10, 2015

This filthy excuse for a gym changes managers and trainers as often as most change their underwear. I was sent to collections for a training fee. I'm in the gym 2-3 times a week and no one ever said a word to me. Then I find out my credit card is declining the charge because they manually enter the numbers and riving THEY were getting it wrong! I tried paying my balance and they still left the collections on my account. After a year of this I'm getting a lawyer...

Original review: March 7, 2015

The last few weeks have been uncomfortably hot in this gym; the temperature has been between 73 and 74. For a while it was much cooler (after people complained) but now it's back to a temperature more suited to sitting at a desk. Both OSHA and The American College of Sports Medicine have temperature guidelines for aerobic, cardio and weight training areas: 65% to 68%...not even close to the temperature in this gym. A few of the people who work there (** and **, in particular) are sensitive to complaints and will adjust the temperature but for the most part it is just too hot! I know there are a few people who get cold but they can put on sweatshirts, etc. I've often had to leave after 10 mins. because I feel so lethargic and slightly sick (Normally I never work out for less than 70 mins.).

Original review: March 5, 2015

My husband and I signed up for a World Gym membership in November of 2014 to help him recover from his chemo treatments following a Stage 4 Lymphoma diagnosis. My husband has been a track coach for 30 years and recently one of his former athletes asked if he could accompany us to the gym to train with us. World Gym, Barrie, Ontario, accused of us of hiring a personal trainer and told us we weren't allowed to train together. We have witnessed multiple teams of people who workout together but apparently we weren't allowed to. The end result was that they revoked our membership and they won't return our fees of approximately $160. It is pathetic that they have to centre out someone who is trying to recover from a life-threatening diagnosis in order to make a statement. Shame on you World Gym. Your behaviour is despicable. I will continue my efforts to have the funds returned through social media and small claims court.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I have been to a lot gyms across this great land and the World Gym in Niagara Falls, is by far the worst. They have packed it to the gills with young kids from the high school and thus this gym has the feel of working out at a high school gym (mind you I have no problems with kids working out, and think it's great, provided they follow gym etiquette and probably, should have some adult supervision).

The staff is rude. They never great you, or talk to you. If you have a complaint, they are great at lip service and not fixing the problem. The free weight room is generally a mess. Plates and dumbbells are rarely re-racked (to the point of it being a safety issue). Patrons of the gym are rude and completely lacking in knowledge of gym rules etiquette. Staff does nothing to teach them (a "hey you need to re-rack that" goes a long way). I watched a kid try squatting 400 to 500 pounds with no spot or clamps the other day. He dumped all the plates on the floor, making a huge noise. Not one staffer came to see what had happened. Someone is going to get hurt in this gym! The staff turns a blind eye to all that happens, oblivious to everything around them.

In December, I paid for a year. Gonna kiss that money good-bye and move to another gym. If your serious about your workout, this is not the gym for you. Do yourself a favor, pay a little extra and find a real gym. I have to say, the history of World gym contains some incredible athletes. I am very disappointed in what it has become. It is not about the lift, or physical fitness, it's about the money. Plain and Simple!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

The staff is rude and have no one to answer to so customers are treated like garbage. The night attendant DAN, told me to shut the ** up when I told him the time was not changed on the clock for daylight savings. This was not the only time that he was disagreeable. I even complained to corporate which they never addressed. I was out of my 2 year contract and still had to pay for 2 additional months and the current month that started 2 days prior. Terrible people running a gym, make a bad gym.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

My husband and I signed up to the World Gym in Cheektowaga NY, a suburb of Buffalo. Their address is 540 Dick Rd. Cheektowaga, NY, phone - (716) 681 -7535. The problems with the staff began almost immediately. We were five minutes late (maybe even less than that) picking our daughter up at the daycare in the facility, and they had an absolute tantrum about this. After this incident, it was as if they were snotty about every little question or complaint we made to them. I paid extra for a personal trainer. Didn't really click with her so I switched to another one of their trainers that I felt more compatible with, and after that, the old trainer gave me dirty looks, and appeared to be complaining about me to her co-workers, which I just chalked up to being my overly-active imagination.

After this, things just got worse, and every time we came in, we were getting dirty looks from the staff, and if we had any questions, we were treated as if we were interrupting their day and being a bother. One day, I had to step off the back of one of the treadmills because their equipment is so close together, I didn't think there was enough room to step off the sides. As soon as I stepped off, I twisted my ankle, and it began to swell to the point that I had to remove my shoe immediately, and was almost in tears. The female manager immediately came over and informed me that I stepped off the wrong way and it was my own fault. I immediately accepted the blame for this, as I did not stand accusing anyone nor did any one person (employee) offer any assistance, ice, bandage, "are you ok," "can we assist you in any way?" My husband started complaining (not raising his voice) but complaining none-the-less, and we were immediately informed to leave the premises and were told that we were both banned for life from the premises.

What kind of people are these? What kind of company sells a franchise its name, and allows them to go on using it without checking to see just how they operate? Now when I think of World Gym, I automatically think poor service and heartless employees. Very vindictive and childish behavior for a company which I assumed was of high caliber to be treating the public, people that are supposed to be members of their so-called club, and pay good money to go there. I tell everyone I know, and every chance I see, like this one that World Gym is the worst gym you can ever join! Stay far away from any business that is allowed to carry this name because it is only going to be bad news! They are despicable people and I'll never have anything to do with that company or any of its subsidiaries, if I can help it!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I quit this gym today. Not only was I required to pay two additional months, (which I expected, it's in the contract) but I was also required to pay a 19$ "Fixed price guarantee" that fixes my rate for the next six months!!! Even though I was quitting!! I complained and I was threatened with being sent to collections. Who runs a business like this??? STAY AWAY. It's a dirty gym anyway. You could do much better for the money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

Deceptive Business Practices. Beware. I will never, never, never subscribe to a World Gym again. I was a charter member of this Gym. I purchased a home in another state in a location where there was no World Gym. When I tried to resign, I was told I had to physically come to the Gym to resign. When I returned to town, I went to the Gym. I was charged a 60 day membership fee for cancellation and required to pay a "rate guaranty fee", even though I was no longer a member of the club. This is reprehensible customer service with a complete lack of customer relationship management. I can only assume that the club is in dire straits and that they need funding so badly they must resort to these practices. I may have been adversely selected because I am a senior citizen. This is a very inexpensive Gym, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

The initial contract was for 9 months at $10 a month, for a total of 90 dollars. Sounds cheap right? WRONG! After the first five months I stopped going, and tried to cancel. I tried by email, they said they need voice verification. I tried over phone, they said they need a post vouched letter. I tried by letter they said they need to see me in person, obviously stalling at this point. I finally tried by person and they said the contract has been AUTOMATICALLY RENEWED for another 9 months and I can't cancel until then. They've charged me $10 a month for two years now without stopping, and every month or two throw in 24 dollar "service charges" randomly for no reason whatsoever.

Apparently the renewal and the $24 charges were on the back side of the contract page, which the person who gave me the contract conveniently didn't point out was there. I threatened to block them from my debit account, they threatened to send "collection agents" to terrorize me. Basically I have to live with a monthly $10 off my paycheck with occasional $24 now, even though I haven't seen the inside of that gym for ages now. World gym is a scam. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

If you want a gym with immature employees including management, then this is the gym for you. It is clean but that is the only plus. Watch your billing too, they overcharge my account all the time.

Original review: July 18, 2014

I signed up a year ago and I've been so disappointed with this gym, I barely go anymore. When it rains, the roof leaks water in the women's section. The floor is soaked and the roof drips on the entire 2 back rows of machines. There are rarely any clean towels to use for wiping equipment down. Their child care employee is awful. I brought my 2-year old once and would never do it again.

The girl who watches the children sat there with her arms crossed as we walked in. She didn't come over to greet us or make my son feel comfortable. She didn't even ask his name. He was the only kid in the room that day and she couldn't even say hello to us? The entire staff is similar to this. They rarely greet you when entering the gym and good luck if you have a billing issue. They don't work with you. They recently gave me a very hard time about a billing error on their end. It took weeks to be reimbursed. I don't recommend this gym to anyone. Pay the extra to go to a real gym.

Original review: July 8, 2014

Every 24 months, you can freeze your account for two months at a time. When I talked to them TWO MONTHS AGO telling them I wouldn't be able to pay for TWO MONTHS, I wasn't given this option. They called me just now to tell me I was late on another payment. I asked them what that's about when I said I wouldn't be able to make any payments. The guy I talked to said I should have been given the option to freeze my account, but now I have to pay 60 dollars for the last 2 months that I wasn't able to use the ** gym. Apparently they can't backtrack for the last two months because their system doesn't work like that. He then offered to let me freeze my account for the next two months, when I just told him I would be able to start back up on my payments in three days. My contract is over in February and I will NOT be renewing.

Original review: June 18, 2014

I signed up for a contract in 2012 and went for my years worth of the contract. While I was there the gym wasn't kept that clean. The employees would bring out "clean" towels to use on equipment; however these towels were not properly dried and still damp, which spreads bacteria. After a few times of this happening near the end of my contract, I stopped going. Only to realize after a year of my contract ending, I was still charged as if I signed up for a new contract!!!! Apparently you have to go to the gym and cancel the one year contract. When doing so they also require a termination fee! I don't ever recommend anyone attending this gym.

Original review: May 28, 2014

I signed up for World Gym In April, was told by a slim blonde female that there was a gym in my area in Michigan. Since I wasn't sure I wanted to sign up since I was moving she guaranteed me there was one there. I moved to Michigan to find out there wasn't a gym in my area at all!!! I called to cancel my membership & they told me it was 100 dollars to cancel since I signed in a contract. If I knew there wasn't a gym in my area I wouldn't of signed up in the first place knowing I was moving!!!! So I check my bank account & there's a 35 fee & a 10 fee taken out on the behalf of World Gym.

So I paid $98 for the starting membership, $10 for the monthly, plus another $35 for the insufficient funds & now they want me to pay for $100 to cancel because I moved after signing up only because I was told there would be a World Gym in my area? Not to mention the ONLY TIME I'VE BEEN TO THIS GYM WAS TO SIGN UP!!!! $243 I’m paying out to gym I attended ONE TIME & was given false information too. I know they aren't that desperate for customers. The gym is actually nice! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR WORLD GYM CHEEKTOWAGA, NY!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

In the beginning of Jan. 2014 I went into World Gym on Sheridan dr., Williamsville NY and signed a three month contract with the "personal training director" Cyle **. The contract signed was for a complete gym membership as well as 3 months of personal training 3x/week, 1hour sessions. I was guaranteed this price $300/month, for all three months (with the first month being higher approx. $480 b/c of a "sign up fee" and 3 month gym membership), and signed the contract for each month.

Yesterday (2/12/14) my 1st month was complete, I was under the impression I was to simply pay for month two $300 price guarantee. However Cyle and the "assistant manager" Emily pulled me into his office stating he got "in trouble" with his Regional Manager Joe **, because the price he guaranteed me (that he got approved by store manager) was too much of a discount. Cyle told me he scheduled an appointment with Joe ** to discuss this but he couldn't make it at the last minute. (Literally found out 10 minutes before appointment.) Cyle continued stating that because I was given such a significant discount, the Regional manager has been fired, and he now must increase my monthly payment by an additional $300/month. Total almost $600 per month.

I told Cyle I am in a legal binding signed contract and he cannot raise the price, he very rudely stated I no longer can have personal training at their gym if I don't pay the extra money now. Very unprofessional, rude, and unethical! Today I got in contact with the Regional manager Joe **(who per Cyle ** was fired), at the Hamburg NY location; he stated he had no knowledge of this situation whatsoever, and he never had an appointment to meet with me. He stated would look into and call me back. Clearly this was a strong arm attempt to scam me out of extra money. I have visited 5 other local gyms and none of their prices were near as expensive as what Cyle was trying to get me to pay. I am very furious, but most of all disappointed that the gym I put so much pride into coming to has done this to me. Something needs to be done so this doesn't happen to someone else.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2014

I've been trapped in a membership at the World Gym in Milford, MA. The equipment is in disrepair: one Smith Machine has been "temporarily out of order" for almost two years. The bench pads are all torn or cracked. Almost half of the weight pins for the machines are missing. Maintenance is put off for months and the moving parts on the machines are never oiled or greased. There is dirt build up everywhere. On one weight rack someone wrote "dirt" in the dust about 18 months ago and it's still there. Dust bunnies abound under the racks, piles of sand and dirt are also there.

The trash cans are never emptied, there is overflow piled up around the base of the cans. Empty water bottles and Monster cans lay on the floor for days at a time. I have gotten a rash twice from dirty equipment, my doctor said it was actually a fungus and it took two weeks of pills and skin medicine to get rid of it. The past two summers I got poison ivy each time I wore a sleeveless shirt to the gym - three times total. It's long sleeves since then. One of the women behind the counter likes to reply to my requests with a "** you." She is the same one that, when a teenaged girl enters the gym, says in a loud voice, "I'd eat that all night long," and other phrases in the same vein.

The music is always too loud and when I ask them to turn it down, they turn it up so loud that I can feel the subsonics pounding on my chest. It easily overwhelms my noise cancelling headphones. That same woman says "** you" after doing this. When I complain they tell me to stop coming to the gym. I ask them to cancel my contract and I get told that whether I come to the gym or not, a contract is a contract and I need to keep paying. Don't sign up for World Gym, go to Golds, Work Out World, Planet Fitness or any other gym but NEVER to World Gym.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2013

I am a member and $10.00 a month is taken out of my check each month. I was told by an employee that the amount is taken out on the 19th. On the 17th, it was submitted to my bank and was rejected. I went in immediately and paid the money that I owed. The employee "Ivy" said that the fee of $35.00 would be waived as it was obvious that I was having difficulties with my financial institution. Going in the next day, I was again told by other employees at the desk that the fees were waived. Look at my bank account and they had taken out $35.00 fee for a transaction dated back 14 days prior. In calling and talking to the very rude owner, Matt, I was told the employees did not give the correct information. He does not stand behind his employees and specifically said "For $10.00 a month we cannot afford to not charge the fees". For someone to have that kind of control over your bank account is a bit scary especially someone that does not stand behind his employees.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2013

I got help from our attorney general here in Ohio. Anyone else in Ohio went through this crap? Mine was supposed to be a free 30-day trial. As you know, I went 2 times and on the 3rd, the doors were chained, locked and a sign (BUSINESS CLOSED DOWN). Would you ever think or worry about this? Because it was only a 30-day trial not a contract. I found out the collection company is in Colorado, but from INDIA, Okay, what is up?????? I go this Friday to court, Oct. 25th, 2013 10 am. Clark Co. municipal courts. Any takers? The gym I am speaking of was in Fairborn, Ohio between 1999-2001. That's where I worked on those years. Couldn't have been no other. Due to in 2001, I was in a work-related injury in a car, that I had to have neck and hip surgery. No gym work out for me. Never since that. Anyone that lives in Ohio, come on down. Let's get these scammers here in Ohio also. It happens all over the USA.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

Beware, I can't believe this can really happen. I didn't sign a contract of any kind. I have what I filled out for the free trial. I didn't feel out my medical?? Okay, you scammers, I will be in court. I really want to see what a lair looks like. Any support from anyone who has had a bad anything with World Gym. Wow. Oct 25, 2013 10 am Clark Co municipal court, Springfield, Ohio.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2013

Going to court on the 25th of this month, Oct. 2013. Any help out there??? I thought it was a 30-day free trial, not a nightmare. I went 2 times and on the 3rd, the doors were chained shut and a sign, "Business closed down." So why worry. I never signed a contract of any kind. Only that these companies sell bills to each other and try to get money they are not owed to. What a scam. I had two brain surgeries and yes, I do not need this stress. I will see them in court . A lot of other states' attorney generals are suing these scammers. I pray our state, Ohio, will. Watch out honest people .

World Gym Company Information