1.09/5
Based on 140 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Retro Fitness

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

145 Retro Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have medical reason, I try to cancel membership with Retro Fitness at Hudson Mall in Jersey City but they still charging me. I already dispute the money from my credit card so now they're treating me to destroy my credit.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I called to cancel my membership for medical reason. They refused to cancel and told me they were going to continue racking up charges to ruin my credit. Also I started my account at 5 pm on the 9th of the month. At 1 am on every 9th they charge my card. If you haven't transferred funds yet because it's the middle of the night and technically you still have 16 hours until it's due they will double charge you for late fees. Their membership is 20 dollars and their late fee is 20 dollar even when you still have an entire day to pay it. What kind of scam is that.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My wife joined Retro Fitness with good intentions. She signed a piece of paper that evidently committed her to a whole year of hell. She started out, was supposed to meet with a trainer, and was disappointed that the trainer cancelled. Then she tried going to the place to do some exercise, and was quickly disappointed in the treatment of customers. The trainer never met with her, she got no instruction in how to use the equipment, and generally had no satisfaction with the company. She has attempted to contact the management to cancel her membership. No help there, she had more problems. They kept repeating that it was her fault, that she had to pay the money through the whole contract. They charge more fees all the time, use a collection agency to harass their customers, and the whole business appears to be a total rip-off. Beware!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Joining the gym was super easy. The personal training was a nightmare. Trainers canceling and rescheduling. I paid my obligation for personal training. Now I can't cancel the membership without paying an annual fee, going there in person, writing a letter sent certified mail, and am told if I do not pay the fee they will not cancel and I will continue to be billed! DO NOT JOIN WITHOUT READING FINE PRINT! Terrible customer service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Retro Fitness in Flemington NJ. I'm glad I'm no longer a member here. While the gym itself is nice and I like the people I workout with, I have to say that during a difficult time with a personal information, they decided to charge us many late fees even though payments were made in cash. But even a few days after the payment date, they like to charge the $19.50 late fee. I wouldn't recommend this gym at all. They claim to want to help but when it comes to money - they have no problems sucking you dry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

Original review: July 21, 2017

When I initially signed up for my membership in November 2015, I was under the impression that there was no contracts like the email had stated. However, when I tried to cancel 45 days later because I had become pregnant, I was told that I could not cancel until I have waited a year because I was binded into a contract. However, the emails sent stated there were no contract, no enrollment fees, no annual fee, etc. However, because I was pregnant, I sent my doctors note and they had frozen my account from Feb 2016 to Sep 2016. I had only went to that gym once during my membership. I decided to go and close the account on July 15, 2017 and was told that I have to wait 21 days for them to cancel my membership and that I would be charged another month's fee on the 24th of July and an annual fee on the 1st of August.

This is so bogus. If I cancel my gym membership on the 15th of the month, my membership should be cancelled as of that day, not 21 days later resulting in more and more fees to pay. I am already paying another gym closest to my job monthly because I work 22 miles from my home and Retro Fitness is about 8.5+ miles from my home. The general manager didn't even care and other associates stated they have this conflict all the time. This is the worst thing a gym can do is impose more fees even after the date a client signs to cancel their membership. That is a ripoff. These should be deemed unfair business practices.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I read all of the terrible reviews about Retro Fitness and their billing but I opted to give them a shot. INSTANT REGRET. I even got a personal trainer. ANOTHER INSTANT REGRET. These bastards will do literally anything to get a dollar. I specifically stated that I did not want to be auto enrolled after my six month personal training and one year gym membership expired. Well, here I am still being charged and still being given the run around!!! I cannot believe I was dumb enough to trust these scoundrels. I have been calling regarding this issue for two months, if not more, and I have been told "Someone will be getting back to me"... No one has bothered to contact me but they sure did charge me this month!!! Unreal. If you choose to join this gym, do yourself a favor and DO NOT pay on your credit cards or debit cards. They WILL auto enroll you and they won't give you your money back or stop the charges.

Original review: May 18, 2017

A dear friend of mine who also happens to be an unemployed Veteran has moved out of NY and has tried to cancel his membership as per their website, by email as he lives in Florida now and is unable to Fly to NY JUST To cancel a GYM MEMBERSHIP. The RETRO FITNESS in WEST BABYLON Manager Audrey ** has refused to assist him with this situation and continues to insist it is her right to not agree to the email cancellation policy of the company, each Franchise can do what they please. SHAME ON THIS WOMAN for being difficult and uncooperative, just because she can. From the other reviews I have read I would say this particular business is a HUGE mark on the reputation of Retro Fitness in general and they should consider retraining her or revoking her franchise.

Original review: May 2, 2017

When I joined in January of this year, the coupon said no enrollment fees, no contracts. When I submitted my letter advising that I wished to cancel (giving them 60 days notice as specified in my agreement sent by CERTIFIED mail as required) I received a phone call today advising me that I was locked in a year contract. I insisted that there was no way I was informed of any contract, because there wouldn't be a chance in hell that I would have agreed to one. So basically they will continue to bill me $19.99 a month until the end of this year. Very shady bogus business. I will continue to fight but seems almost useless. I will NEVER recommend this facility. It's a rip off.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

So my complaint has to do with my gym membership. I was with fitness plus when Retro Fitness took it over about a year and a half ago. I had been with fitness plus since 2007. I canceled my membership on December 31, 2016. I had called the previous week before, around the 18th and spoke to the manager, Wilson. I asked him if I can close my membership and he said sure he just have to come in and sign a document. I asked him when I can come in do it, and he said I had to come in when he was there. I work 8 to 6 Monday through Friday, and he is there those hours during the day. The next time I was able to go was December 31 which is a Saturday. So I went in there on December 31 and asked to cancel my contract. This is what I was told that it was required to have 45 days to cancel my contract. He had said that I was gonna get charge for the month of January. He said the payment was gonna come out on January 6.

I canceled my debit card because I didn't want them taking money out of my account when I canceled the contract. I never signed any documents saying that to cancel my membership it would take 45 days. I also did not receive any of that information when I called him and asked to cancel my membership. If it was so important and vital why didn't he tell me that I needed to give him 45 days notice when I called him and asked him when I can come in.

So now I'm getting harassed by the billing company they have that takes care of the billing for the gym. I constantly get phone calls and emails regarding this. I call the billing company and explain to them what the issue was. They told me they weren't able to help me because they were just the billing company. I told them the situation and they said they would still bill me. I told the representative on the phone that I never signed any documents regarding the 45 day notice. She told me that I would need to contact the gym to prove that. I don't think it's my responsibility to have to prove that I didn't sign something when they are trying to get money from me. I'm being harassed.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

They will NOT change the Music. Constant - Gang Music or Music for Girls that scream during the entire day and night! Very annoying! I am not renewing... for all of you considering - headphones or do not bother.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

I tried canceling my membership because I had moved away and informed the club of this. I talked to a Taylor that worked there and had signed me up for my membership and she said she would get it taken care of. I kept receiving mail saying that I didn't pay my membership and I called them and they said that there was no note in the system to be canceled and Taylor does not work there anymore. They also informed me that it could not be canceled early. I was not informed of this when signing up and sped through the signup process. I called and tried talking to a manager and they were not there and I could not get the schedule of the manager to call back and talk to them.

Shortly after I get a call from a collections agency saying I owe them for the membership. I told them I tried canceling it and emailed and talked to them multiple times but they would not listen and now it is causing problems with my credit. I would stay away from them and not do business with them. They just want your money and they are on a commission base system for selling you a membership.

Resolution response: Dec. 21, 2016

My issue has since been resolved by the regional manager. He was very kind in reversing the fees and acknowledged that the plan may not have been fully explained to me. Thank you Retro!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Beware of Retro Fitness. I signed up and was hastily sped through "click to agree" questions on an iPad, unknowingly agreeing to an optional 9.99/month group fitness fee. When I called Corporate I was told to contact the club. I went to the Retro Fitness Wilmington, Kirkwood Highway club on Friday 12/9 at 3:30 PM and was told by a young lady working the desk to call back tomorrow from 1-5 when the manager Mike was working, and that he would gladly remove it. I was told that this fee was happening to many members. I called today and was told by Mike that this was something explained to me, that I agreed to, and that he WOULD NOT remove the fee. I am totally disgusted by these sly business practices and the outright lie that their desk representatives are saying to their customers. And to think, I paid a cancellation fee to Planet Fitness for this place, not knowing they would try to screw me in the end!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

I paid my membership and I am not being allowed to enter the gym. They popped up with a yearly fee and then tried to tack on an extra 20 dollar late fee the same day it was due. I called the operator. Said he fixed the problem but he didn't know I am barred from the gym. I paid my membership for another week at least. I can't even call and fix it because the office is closed on the weekends. This is unacceptable. I paid and I am being refused entry. I have been a customer here for years and I pay 2 memberships. This is unacceptable I am about to close both accounts. This is no way to run a business.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I walked into the Retro Fitness club to sign up for a regular routine exercise. The guy at the counter brought me into the small dark room to talk to the manager, Joseph **. Joseph convinced me to "try out" the personal training for $145 a month. I agreed to try and sign only one last page (I wasn't aware of that) in the total darkness while being exposed to some personal conversations about Joseph's motivations, problems, and personal details I didn't care about for a split second. He didn't give me the copy and said I'd receive it via email. When I recovered the email which went directly to Spam, it was too late to cancel as they only give you 3 days to change your mind about the membership. Only later I understood why Joe ** wouldn't stop talking - it was an old brilliantly dishonest sales trick to distract my attention away from the services and plan, and focus it on immediate payment.

He made me believe in some kind of fictional hype of this gym's benefits by using the non-stop talk, dark room, extremely small font in the document, and other con man sales tricks he had in his hat. He gave me the paper to sign which happened to be only one page out of a few that I had no idea about... All in all, my membership is set for auto-renewal without my control. $145 for personal training that I hated! Plus, $20 for a regular gym membership, just to walk through the door, plus taxes and penalties if you decide not to pay for services that were never rendered. To cancel it, I have to be significantly sick (literally) with the proof that I can't exercise. The only real chance to cancel this membership is if I'm dead (in their dream), otherwise, it's practically impossible.

The current situation is that I have to pay $2100 for a year because I canceled my credit card on them, or almost $200 a month plus penalties despite the fact that I hate this club, find the services most unprofessional and do not want to ever see their faces again. If I decide not to pay the artificially created balance, my credit history will be negatively affected forever. Now, I see so many complaints of the same nature here on ConsumerAffairs.com and on BBB. Can anybody explain to me what's the point? Does this service here have any function to help consumers who were tricked into something unexpected and/or scam? Is there any way to get help?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

To anyone and everyone wishing to join Retro Fitness and their partner ABC Financial think very hard about this decision. When you join they make it seem so easy that in the event you wish to cancel all you need to do is contact ABC Financial and you're done. You need to send a certified letter explaining why and even then it takes a number of monthly cycles before it actually cancels. Why does this have to occur... why won't e-mail work? Why... because they manage to squeeze out a couple more months before that occurs.

The truth be told, the problem is not with ABC Financial, the problem is Retro Fitness. In speaking with ABC Financial the power is with Retro Fitness and their manager, they have the ability to waive any late fees or cancellation fees but they will not do that. I had a problem with a credit card that I had to change due to fraud. By the time Retro contacted me the late fees continued and they refused to waive them. Use another gym, they are rude and arrogant as I received numerous phone calls and threats to send my account to collections. Done with them...

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I cancelled my gym membership due to moving away from the facility. I was told that if I brought in proof of cancellation by the first of the month I would not be charged on the 4th. I drove across town to make it in time and provided the proper documentation. The gentleman that took care of me assured me that if I received a charge for the 4th of the month, to contact the manager. I indeed received a charge.

I called the facility and told them the situation. The lady I spoke with read me the policy about the 30-day notice, etc and was rude. I told her that was not the information repeated to me by 2 other employees and that they should honor their word regardless of the policy. She then proceeded to tell me about the radius of my moving distance not qualifying under the cancellation of contract. I repeatedly asked to speak to manager and she continued to tell me more about the policy. So disrespectful. Policies are invalid if the customer is provided false information by multiple employees. This was the Baymeadows location. So disgusted.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

These people will give you hell to cancel the membership. You have to send a certified letter to cancel and after few months they will put you in collection. Me and my wife have canceled it together. They canceled hers and did not cancel mine without telling me anything and then they put me in collections for 100 bucks, unreal and then you can’t talk to anyone. They never pick up the phones.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I went to Retro Fitness in Deerfield Park Avenue for a session cause I signed up to join the gym. The person that I have the session with was a personal trainer there. He was telling if I joined it could help listen to him talking. I say "ok let me try it for 6 months to see how it goes." He told me he was going to sent me in email so I could set up my session. Never get it. When I call to speak to the trainer that was supposed to be the manager of the gym they always say it going to call me back which he never did. He was supposed to give me a copy of the contract. He never give it to me... so I ask to cancel. My contact information was informed her was the only that could cancel the contract by one of the worker...

But today I drive to the gym to find out what's going on because they bill me a $180 for something I never use. Find out the manager I signed with was fired. The new one give me - I explained to her what was going on so she give me that number to call that number. The girl on the phone told me she can't help. It will have to pay $300 to cancel after they took $500 out of my account plus another $180. Please can someone help me on what to do now. That's the number they give me to call 916-209-4175.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

This particular facility in Fairfield is managed by those with little concern for the satisfaction of its clients. In particular in the area of membership, the individuals managing are masters in the skill set of deceit and manipulation. I have attended the facility in Belleville and can state that this is no better except that this gym does not pretend to care so you are not misled. You can either put up with it or not.

I suppose it would not be fair to presume that all Retro facilities treat their clients so poorly and I have not been in all the various gyms but it must be noted that the same corporation that hired the Fairfield master manipulators did so with intent to discount the value of their clients because as a company they do not care either. There are certainly enough individuals out there looking for work who truly understand customer satisfaction. There may be higher fees in other gyms but you get what you pay for. You can pay less and get disrespected by unprofessional staff members or you can pay more and get appreciated with special free offers and a professional team to make your visits/training pleasant.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

My Brother received a Gift Certificate for Olympic Torch App Challenge Winner. When we presented the certificate to the manager of our location, he had no knowledge of what he should do with the certificate. It gives my Brother six months free membership. How can a company have an individual(s) running a site and he/she has no knowledge of the promotions the company offers? Tried reaching out to the Corporate Office just to find out all mailboxes are full. What kind of company is this?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

My membership was due to renew in June and I called/emailed Retro in April to cancel my membership. I received an email that same day stating my membership was cancelled and my last payment would be June 6th. Well, since then, I've received charges on my credit card for the annual fee of $39 plus charges for the month of July and August. My husband disputed the charges with our credit card company. Now I'm receiving harassing mail, emails and phone calls about my account being delinquent. ABC Financial said they have no record of the cancellation, so I forwarded them a copy of the email. This still has not stopped them from calling/emailing. I told them that I contacted my lawyer. Did they care? No! I don't understand how the BB doesn't get involved with this business, since this is an ongoing problem.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

I was a member of Retro Fitness and they are running a strange program. First a few months after joining the White Flint area location also some may call it Kensington they had an open house. I won a contest and was told that I had won a free lifetime membership and later switched up and said it was for a year and later I was told it would only good for six months free. That was it for me and I told them that when the six months was up I was done. I stop going and they would not close my account. They were not helpful or polite. Then they tell me that I have to pay two more months to get out of the gym membership. They will not get another dime from me. If you are smart don't join. You will regret it. I am going to take legal action if they don't get this garbage solved!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

When I first went to Retro Fitness, I got interested because of the price and the convenient location close to work. I got a deal for $20 a month. When I was signing up, I asked if it was a contract, and they said no. (My mistake, I should have read the fine lines.) After 3-4 months, I wanted to switch gym and went to cancel the direct payments, I was told I would have to wait 1 year to do so because it was a contract.

They are so sweet when they want to scam you and rip you off, but when you want to cancel, they get so nasty, unavailable and demanding all kind of paper through mail that first of all you did not go through such a hard time to sign up, why now to cancel. Anyways, I never paid it, I did not cancel and they got me on collection dept. Retro Fitness is a NO. This gym is on 98th St. Brooklyn , NY.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I wish I had read these reviews. I had a similar with cancellation and billing. First, I was told by the gym that I could not continue to use the gym if I canceled before the last day I used the gym, even if I had already paid for the month. Next, after I was charged a cancellation fee and canceled my membership, the gym charged me for that month. I disputed the issue with American Express. They sent over a contract stating that I need to cancel 30 days in advance. I had American Express place a block on the vendor, but I am still having issues contacting the billing office. The staff at the gym I use said they couldn't help me and I need to contact corporate directly.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I have read many complaints against Retro Fitness for the same reason. My son signed a year contract and they renewed it without his consent. I had tried to cancel it for months before and was totally misinformed. No one knows what their policy is there. They are all clueless. Even when I went to the club after receiving a letter from a collection agency, the manager told me should would cancel it, but she never did! I am paying the damn amount owed as I want Eric ** from the collections to stop calling me but this place should be shut down. Do NOT sign a contract with them, it is a scam.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

This place is a big joke and no one is doing nothing about this. I don't think is cool getting ripped off by these clowns. It is such a process just to cancel. I tried to cancel my account. I called and was told to email them with my name and number and they will cancel it, that was 3 days ago after they charged me a $41.73 fee and was told that this is a yearly fee to guarantee that my monthly payment will stay at $21.52. Guess what? My card was just charged $21.52 after a supposed cancellation... with all these bad reviews and these bloodsuckers are just ripping people off and it seems to be ok. I do not understand why this is not being addressed.

Original review: July 27, 2016

Joined Retro last summer. Fulfilled contract. Sent certified LOC to ABC Financial, membership was NOT to RENEW. Well, I am still being charged for TANNING - and late charges because I am no longer a member & threatened by ABC Financial for Collections! Apparently in your LOC you are suppose to specify you would like TANNING, CHILDCARE, AND YOUR MEMBERSHIP cancelled. You cannot just write: "I would like to cancel my membership." You have to specify all the items you would like or you will continue to be charged for whatever you don't specify. SCAM!!! We have got an attorney - although we don't have a case - because they don't let you read the fine print when you sign up on an IPAD!

Original review: July 22, 2016

Retro Fitness in ASTON is an absolute scam and should be embarrassed how they treat their paying clients. I have paid my contract (a year obligation) even though I have only been there probably 5 times... understanding I signed a YEAR contract. I call the Studio in ASTON to CANCEL... My year contract is up. They cant do it.

I am told to call their financing agency... (but they ALSO CANNOT cancel my membership) They say I have to send a letter. What a scam they are running. There is NO FORM, no email to cancel, no fax.. Get this. You have to send a CERTIFIED snail mail letter to Arkansas. Are you kidding me? And believe me. If you know me I talked to everyone's managers... and called my credit card company. This is about as dirty as it comes to keep a small stipend coming in. AND I will still get charged before the 30 days post marked letter... AWESOME. (Understanding... No one reads their contract and they tell you BS to sign it.) I'm sorry to offend my instructor friends or those that happily work out there but the business side is not ethical in my opinion. #badbusiness #goodluckcanceling #maytheforcebewithyou

Original review: July 20, 2016

THE OWNER SHOULD BE IN JAIL. THEY WILL NOT LET ME CANCEL. I have been trying to cancel my membership for TEN MONTHS. Each time I sign a document stating that I will be charged for one additional month after my cancellation request (Fine. Not fine but fine) and then that will be my final payment. Then miraculously each time after that final payment date, I am still being charged months after!!! This happened 2 times already. Finally, I get someone to say I am finally eligible to cancel my membership. I make sure all my auto-renewals are turned off (I was looked in the eye and told auto renewal was off). I make sure I sign ANOTHER one of those damn papers that say I will owe only one additional payment and then my membership expires as of 4/23/16. Guess what? It's July and I was charged each month after April.

I call them to first ask if I am still a member of the gym, at which point they said, "No your membership expired 3 months ago," which I already know, which just confirms that I am not even a member anymore and yet they are still stealing my money!!! How this could possibly be because everything and everything has been cancelled and magically they have no idea how or why I am still being billed. The bank advised me to cancel my debit card, which I did, but now I'm reading from other reviewers that this only leads them to send my bill to a collection agency, which is terrifying.

At this point I would rather spend hundreds even thousands on a lawyer to stop this madness than to give Retro Fitness another penny. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and they will be dealing with this as well. I don't know what else I could possibly do for them to stop stealing my money. I pray the owner winds up in jail. I wish I could turn back time and never ever step foot into the horrible establishment.

Retro Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Retro Fitness is a health club franchise founded in 2002 in New Jersey. With over 150 locations, its gyms feature a retro theme with fitness equipment, group fitness classes and more.

• Equipment: Retro Fitness gyms offer cardio equipment, circuit training, weights and more. Most of its treadmills offer Direct TV and iPod docks, and its bicycles are connected to the Internet.
    • Nutrition: Most Retro Fitness locations offer smoothie bars, supplements and healthy snacks. These food options can help you maintain your energy before and after a heavy workout.
    • Cardio theater: Retro Fitness’ cardio theaters regularly screen 1980s feature films. You can work out on your favorite cardio equipment while watching.
    • Low fees: Memberships at most Retro Fitness locations cost just $19.99/month. This gives you access to equipment, classes and many other amenities.
    • Pro Shop: Most Retro Fitness locations feature a Pro Shop with all the gear you need for a successful workout. They sell supplements, Under Armour brand workout clothing, gloves, headphones and more.
    • Best for: fitness novices and those who want a convenient workout experience.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs