Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.08/5

Manahawkin, NJ

170 Retro Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

After giving me a very hard time explaining how to cancel. They asked me to send certified letter with the cancellation. I called a month later and they are still charging me and claim that they did not get the certified letter! They keep the certified letters and if the client does not have the tracking confirmation they don’t process the cancellation.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Stay away from Retro Fitness. I found out today that the owners of Retro Fitness Port Jefferson are closing the doors as of 6 PM tonight. No advance notice. Trainers didn't know. No one knew. I just happened to see them changing the locks. Owners are saying Retro is closing the location. WITH NO NOTICE!!!! Is this the Retro way of doing things? Those trainers make their living this way. Scum!!!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I was enrolled in Retro Fitness Citrus Park branch FL during the month of June 2019 and while enrolling there was guy called AUSTIN who walked me through the process. I was 100% confident that I had never signed for any package for one year contract and enrolling for Auto Payment. When AUSTIN (Manager) had asked me to provide my bank details, I said I don't have it with me and that I would first like to try out the facility and later decide. I hardly used the facility for 10 days and very soon I had to change my house to Brandon due to personal reasons. But I never knew that RETRO FITNESS very sleekly robs my money from the ACCOUNT without even me AUTHORIZING them for the AUTO PAYMENT.

When I called and spoke to Austin about having me removed from the Auto Pay for which I have never even Authorized Retro Fitness, he says NO he won't be able to do that and the funny part is that he say I will be liable to pay Retro Fitness for one year. I called my bank immediately and filed a dispute and have them removed as a biller from my account. AUSTIN if you read this message, request you to be transparent to your new customers and most important is to be HONEST!!!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Tried cancelling my son's membership repeatedly. Given the runaround so they could steal another month worth of dues! Obviously this is commonplace tactic with them, just look at the reviews. Will never join another Retro. They make it brutally difficult to cancel your membership. By far the worse experience I have had at any gym.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was charged $20 for being 1 day late! Guess they don't need my business! See ya! After being a member for over 4 years. I talked to Melissa the manager and she said it was the policy. I worked there for years and we always waived late fees when a member was trying to pay!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

Original review: April 3, 2019

Worst fitness ever, bad management, horrible people, and very racist. They will keep charging you even after you tell them you want to cancel. I told them I want to cancel my account because they treated me very bad and most of the machines are not working most of the time, and when I told them they said, "Ok but you have to pay 70% of what is remaining." I was like, "How does that make sense to pay 70% of the remaining monthly payments when I’m not gonna come anymore," they said it’s in the contract! Even that no one said anything when I was signing the contract, then I said, "Ok I’ll keep it and try to make a lemonade out of the lemon," but then few months later it gets worse so I was like, "No that’s enough. I don’t want to go to this place anymore."

So I went and asked them to cancel and pay the 70% so he told me, "Oh sorry but if you want to cancel you gonna have to pay the whole amount" and I was like "How are you kidding me, didn’t you said before I’ll pay 70% and when I told you why you said it’s in the contract," he said, "Yeah but sorry cuz the owner just changed the rules one hour ago" and here he left me in a chock??? I was but it’s a contract he said but this is the new rules. So guys no matter what you will lose, be careful and stay away from this place, they will take your money and will treat you badly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

There were two Retro Fitness locations that were convenient when I signed up at Retro 2 years ago, one near my home and one near work. Both locations are now closed. The one near my house closed on 24 December 2018. Now Retro will not let me cancel my automatic deduction from my credit card. I am told that I have to go to where I signed up... Duh the location that I signed up at IS NOW CLOSED. Just a bunch of crooks.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Retro Fitness in Oceanside, NY is a scam! If I could give ZERO stars- I would!! First off- SCAM. My credit card numbers were in someone else’s account and after $336.89 in charges on someone’s else’s account, Retro Fitness and their third party account memberships management, ABC Financial DECLINED to issue me a refund and fix this error. I know that it was an error with their membership account services / set up and they refuse to resolve this and basically told me to, "**, we are keeping your $336.89." If that’s not horrible customer service, what is?

The owners of Oceanside, NY location declined to resolve this. Now this inconvenience has lead me to have to take legal actions and has been nothing but a headache. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen and the worst financial scam that my attorney has seen. Beware... they offer you a deal to sign up. Then overcharge your card, their system may put your credit card info into someone else’s account and they won’t fix it. Hours of phone calls and headaches and they still refuse!!! Their offers are not worth this!!! Nothing is!!! Go to Blink Fitness or NY Sports Club!!! They would never scam like Retro Fitness has! They could have refunded me and I wouldn’t be so distraught, but they refuse to issue my money back and leave it on an account that’s not mine!!! But keep my account in past due status. Meanwhile my card was charged every month for 9 months!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I requested to cancel my membership which I was told to give it in written and said will be charged for next 3 months because we cancelled the contract. We agreed to pay 3 months and cancelled. Now it's been 5th month getting charged and talked to manager and he said the guy with whom we cancelled didn't gave you correct information and said we will be charged until 1 year.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I cancelled my membership on a third day I signed a contract (May 29h 2018). Just came to the gym on Y Avenue (325 Ave Y Brooklyn NY 11223 ) and told manager (don't recall his exact name **- gingerish guy with a beard) that I am done with them. I asked do I have to sign anything, he responded, "No, it's ok." I just need to give my name and my retro card, so I did. After a month I noticed that card was charged about $63. I called to the gym/to ABC. They responded it was just some maintenance fee that I had to pay anyway. WTF?! Moreover, I figured out that my membership was not canceled but frozen. I WAS NEVER TOLD ABOUT IT!!!

To finish my membership they offered me to pay more $250! $250 for 2 days of training in a dirty gym! None of these terms were stated before I signed a contract which was on their tablet! I realized that they don't deserve fair treatment, so just cancelled my card. I am still getting emails with demands to pay. But they cannot force you. I just moved to Russia, but they keep sending me increasing debt. Well, I don't think they realize that their company has no weight in Moscow. If somebody ever had the same experience as I did, please let's gather in group and make a petition to end their fraudulent business. Companies like this shouldn't exist. They know that their business is illegal, otherwise they would sue everyone who stops monthly robbery of the card like I did. Let's get in touch and file official complaint on them, their business is rotten and easily can get destroyed if more than 100 people gather together and go to the court.

Retro Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

Retro Fitness is a health club franchise founded in 2002 in New Jersey. With over 150 locations, its gyms feature a retro theme with fitness equipment, group fitness classes and more.

• Equipment: Retro Fitness gyms offer cardio equipment, circuit training, weights and more. Most of its treadmills offer Direct TV and iPod docks, and its bicycles are connected to the Internet.

• Nutrition: Most Retro Fitness locations offer smoothie bars, supplements and healthy snacks. These food options can help you maintain your energy before and after a heavy workout.

• Cardio theater: Retro Fitness’ cardio theaters regularly screen 1980s feature films. You can work out on your favorite cardio equipment while watching.

• Low fees: Memberships at most Retro Fitness locations cost just $19.99/month. This gives you access to equipment, classes and many other amenities.

• Pro Shop: Most Retro Fitness locations feature a Pro Shop with all the gear you need for a successful workout. They sell supplements, Under Armour brand workout clothing, gloves, headphones and more.

• Best for: fitness novices and those who want a convenient workout experience.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Retro Fitness Company Information