Manahawkin, NJ

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Retro Fitness Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Belonged to Retro for 6 years. It has been a steady decline for the past 2 years. More machines need repair than the ones that work properly. I brought it to the manager's attention and was constantly told "we are working on it". It's been at least 6 months that they promised that they were working on it. Don't waste your money on this place!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Please read, and never become a member at any Retro Fitness. Do your research. It's so much cheaper to build a professional home gym anyway. I have called numerous times to cancel my membership. I drafted a cancellation letter and they denied my letter. I paid all of what I owed and re-drafted the letter for my gym to deny the letter a second time. I called numerous times and each time I was either left on hold or transferred to their corporate office who always told me to contact my gym. On my last call to cancel the membership I was still being charged for, they had me email ABC Financial who told me my email was in error and that I needed to contact my local gym. I have tried to be as professional as possible, but it is impossible at this point. Even when I did attend their gyms, the three locations I tried were outdated, dirty and very poorly kept. The staff was alright however I always seemed to have a problem with my card which never scanned.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

This is for the Fort Lee NJ location. Pointed out to one of the front desk guys Richardo that he lied about what smoothies can be made, and that one of his co-workers made the one that I asked for a few days before, he resolved by barring me from the club. Lovely, isn't it?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I've been going to Retro Fitness for nearly 3 years, until I was unable to for personal reasons. I called them up to request a cancellation and was told that I had to send a certified letter to their office in Arkansas. Did that and received a return receipt postmarked July 15, 2019. That should have done it, but come October, my credit card was still being charged. Called them and they claimed they sent me an email which I was supposed to respond to so I could verify that I was canceling. Never received that email. This is all a hoax. Please be aware of what you are getting into. If they are going to rely on email to verify cancellation, why have me send a certified letter first? It's just a way to keep charging the credit card. Now that I emailed them, they state they will keep charging me until December because they need 60 day prior notice. Ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

After giving me a very hard time explaining how to cancel. They asked me to send certified letter with the cancellation. I called a month later and they are still charging me and claim that they did not get the certified letter! They keep the certified letters and if the client does not have the tracking confirmation they don’t process the cancellation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Stay away from Retro Fitness. I found out today that the owners of Retro Fitness Port Jefferson are closing the doors as of 6 PM tonight. No advance notice. Trainers didn't know. No one knew. I just happened to see them changing the locks. Owners are saying Retro is closing the location. WITH NO NOTICE!!!! Is this the Retro way of doing things? Those trainers make their living this way. Scum!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I was enrolled in Retro Fitness Citrus Park branch FL during the month of June 2019 and while enrolling there was guy called AUSTIN who walked me through the process. I was 100% confident that I had never signed for any package for one year contract and enrolling for Auto Payment. When AUSTIN (Manager) had asked me to provide my bank details, I said I don't have it with me and that I would first like to try out the facility and later decide. I hardly used the facility for 10 days and very soon I had to change my house to Brandon due to personal reasons. But I never knew that RETRO FITNESS very sleekly robs my money from the ACCOUNT without even me AUTHORIZING them for the AUTO PAYMENT.

When I called and spoke to Austin about having me removed from the Auto Pay for which I have never even Authorized Retro Fitness, he says NO he won't be able to do that and the funny part is that he say I will be liable to pay Retro Fitness for one year. I called my bank immediately and filed a dispute and have them removed as a biller from my account. AUSTIN if you read this message, request you to be transparent to your new customers and most important is to be HONEST!!!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Tried cancelling my son's membership repeatedly. Given the runaround so they could steal another month worth of dues! Obviously this is commonplace tactic with them, just look at the reviews. Will never join another Retro. They make it brutally difficult to cancel your membership. By far the worse experience I have had at any gym.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was charged $20 for being 1 day late! Guess they don't need my business! See ya! After being a member for over 4 years. I talked to Melissa the manager and she said it was the policy. I worked there for years and we always waived late fees when a member was trying to pay!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Worst fitness ever, bad management, horrible people, and very racist. They will keep charging you even after you tell them you want to cancel. I told them I want to cancel my account because they treated me very bad and most of the machines are not working most of the time, and when I told them they said, "Ok but you have to pay 70% of what is remaining." I was like, "How does that make sense to pay 70% of the remaining monthly payments when I’m not gonna come anymore," they said it’s in the contract! Even that no one said anything when I was signing the contract, then I said, "Ok I’ll keep it and try to make a lemonade out of the lemon," but then few months later it gets worse so I was like, "No that’s enough. I don’t want to go to this place anymore."

So I went and asked them to cancel and pay the 70% so he told me, "Oh sorry but if you want to cancel you gonna have to pay the whole amount" and I was like "How are you kidding me, didn’t you said before I’ll pay 70% and when I told you why you said it’s in the contract," he said, "Yeah but sorry cuz the owner just changed the rules one hour ago" and here he left me in a chock??? I was but it’s a contract he said but this is the new rules. So guys no matter what you will lose, be careful and stay away from this place, they will take your money and will treat you badly.

Not sure about Retro Fitness?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right weight loss program for you.

Retro Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

Retro Fitness is a health club franchise founded in 2002 in New Jersey. With over 150 locations, its gyms feature a retro theme with fitness equipment, group fitness classes and more.

• Equipment: Retro Fitness gyms offer cardio equipment, circuit training, weights and more. Most of its treadmills offer Direct TV and iPod docks, and its bicycles are connected to the Internet.

• Nutrition: Most Retro Fitness locations offer smoothie bars, supplements and healthy snacks. These food options can help you maintain your energy before and after a heavy workout.

• Cardio theater: Retro Fitness’ cardio theaters regularly screen 1980s feature films. You can work out on your favorite cardio equipment while watching.

• Low fees: Memberships at most Retro Fitness locations cost just $19.99/month. This gives you access to equipment, classes and many other amenities.

• Pro Shop: Most Retro Fitness locations feature a Pro Shop with all the gear you need for a successful workout. They sell supplements, Under Armour brand workout clothing, gloves, headphones and more.

• Best for: fitness novices and those who want a convenient workout experience.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Retro Fitness Company Information