Retro Fitness

Manahawkin, NJ

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid my membership and I am not being allowed to enter the gym. They popped up with a yearly fee and then tried to tack on an extra 20 dollar late fee the same day it was due. I called the operator. Said he fixed the problem but he didn't know I am barred from the gym. I paid my membership for another week at least. I can't even call and fix it because the office is closed on the weekends. This is unacceptable. I paid and I am being refused entry. I have been a customer here for years and I pay 2 memberships. This is unacceptable I am about to close both accounts. This is no way to run a business.

I walked into the Retro Fitness club to sign up for a regular routine exercise. The guy at the counter brought me into the small dark room to talk to the manager, Joseph **. Joseph convinced me to "try out" the personal training for $145 a month. I agreed to try and sign only one last page (I wasn't aware of that) in the total darkness while being exposed to some personal conversations about Joseph's motivations, problems, and personal details I didn't care about for a split second. He didn't give me the copy and said I'd receive it via email. When I recovered the email which went directly to Spam, it was too late to cancel as they only give you 3 days to change your mind about the membership. Only later I understood why Joe ** wouldn't stop talking - it was an old brilliantly dishonest sales trick to distract my attention away from the services and plan, and focus it on immediate payment.

He made me believe in some kind of fictional hype of this gym's benefits by using the non-stop talk, dark room, extremely small font in the document, and other con man sales tricks he had in his hat. He gave me the paper to sign which happened to be only one page out of a few that I had no idea about... All in all, my membership is set for auto-renewal without my control. $145 for personal training that I hated! Plus, $20 for a regular gym membership, just to walk through the door, plus taxes and penalties if you decide not to pay for services that were never rendered. To cancel it, I have to be significantly sick (literally) with the proof that I can't exercise. The only real chance to cancel this membership is if I'm dead (in their dream), otherwise, it's practically impossible.

The current situation is that I have to pay $2100 for a year because I canceled my credit card on them, or almost $200 a month plus penalties despite the fact that I hate this club, find the services most unprofessional and do not want to ever see their faces again. If I decide not to pay the artificially created balance, my credit history will be negatively affected forever. Now, I see so many complaints of the same nature here on ConsumerAffairs.com and on BBB. Can anybody explain to me what's the point? Does this service here have any function to help consumers who were tricked into something unexpected and/or scam? Is there any way to get help?

To anyone and everyone wishing to join Retro Fitness and their partner ABC Financial think very hard about this decision. When you join they make it seem so easy that in the event you wish to cancel all you need to do is contact ABC Financial and you're done. You need to send a certified letter explaining why and even then it takes a number of monthly cycles before it actually cancels. Why does this have to occur... why won't e-mail work? Why... because they manage to squeeze out a couple more months before that occurs.

The truth be told, the problem is not with ABC Financial, the problem is Retro Fitness. In speaking with ABC Financial the power is with Retro Fitness and their manager, they have the ability to waive any late fees or cancellation fees but they will not do that. I had a problem with a credit card that I had to change due to fraud. By the time Retro contacted me the late fees continued and they refused to waive them. Use another gym, they are rude and arrogant as I received numerous phone calls and threats to send my account to collections. Done with them...

I cancelled my gym membership due to moving away from the facility. I was told that if I brought in proof of cancellation by the first of the month I would not be charged on the 4th. I drove across town to make it in time and provided the proper documentation. The gentleman that took care of me assured me that if I received a charge for the 4th of the month, to contact the manager. I indeed received a charge.

I called the facility and told them the situation. The lady I spoke with read me the policy about the 30-day notice, etc and was rude. I told her that was not the information repeated to me by 2 other employees and that they should honor their word regardless of the policy. She then proceeded to tell me about the radius of my moving distance not qualifying under the cancellation of contract. I repeatedly asked to speak to manager and she continued to tell me more about the policy. So disrespectful. Policies are invalid if the customer is provided false information by multiple employees. This was the Baymeadows location. So disgusted.

These people will give you hell to cancel the membership. You have to send a certified letter to cancel and after few months they will put you in collection. Me and my wife have canceled it together. They canceled hers and did not cancel mine without telling me anything and then they put me in collections for 100 bucks, unreal and then you can’t talk to anyone. They never pick up the phones.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

I went to Retro Fitness in Deerfield Park Avenue for a session cause I signed up to join the gym. The person that I have the session with was a personal trainer there. He was telling if I joined it could help listen to him talking. I say "ok let me try it for 6 months to see how it goes." He told me he was going to sent me in email so I could set up my session. Never get it. When I call to speak to the trainer that was supposed to be the manager of the gym they always say it going to call me back which he never did. He was supposed to give me a copy of the contract. He never give it to me... so I ask to cancel. My contact information was informed her was the only that could cancel the contract by one of the worker...

But today I drive to the gym to find out what's going on because they bill me a $180 for something I never use. Find out the manager I signed with was fired. The new one give me - I explained to her what was going on so she give me that number to call that number. The girl on the phone told me she can't help. It will have to pay $300 to cancel after they took $500 out of my account plus another $180. Please can someone help me on what to do now. That's the number they give me to call 916-209-4175.

This particular facility in Fairfield is managed by those with little concern for the satisfaction of its clients. In particular in the area of membership, the individuals managing are masters in the skill set of deceit and manipulation. I have attended the facility in Belleville and can state that this is no better except that this gym does not pretend to care so you are not misled. You can either put up with it or not.

I suppose it would not be fair to presume that all Retro facilities treat their clients so poorly and I have not been in all the various gyms but it must be noted that the same corporation that hired the Fairfield master manipulators did so with intent to discount the value of their clients because as a company they do not care either. There are certainly enough individuals out there looking for work who truly understand customer satisfaction. There may be higher fees in other gyms but you get what you pay for. You can pay less and get disrespected by unprofessional staff members or you can pay more and get appreciated with special free offers and a professional team to make your visits/training pleasant.

My Brother received a Gift Certificate for Olympic Torch App Challenge Winner. When we presented the certificate to the manager of our location, he had no knowledge of what he should do with the certificate. It gives my Brother six months free membership. How can a company have an individual(s) running a site and he/she has no knowledge of the promotions the company offers? Tried reaching out to the Corporate Office just to find out all mailboxes are full. What kind of company is this?

My membership was due to renew in June and I called/emailed Retro in April to cancel my membership. I received an email that same day stating my membership was cancelled and my last payment would be June 6th. Well, since then, I've received charges on my credit card for the annual fee of $39 plus charges for the month of July and August. My husband disputed the charges with our credit card company. Now I'm receiving harassing mail, emails and phone calls about my account being delinquent. ABC Financial said they have no record of the cancellation, so I forwarded them a copy of the email. This still has not stopped them from calling/emailing. I told them that I contacted my lawyer. Did they care? No! I don't understand how the BB doesn't get involved with this business, since this is an ongoing problem.

I was a member of Retro Fitness and they are running a strange program. First a few months after joining the White Flint area location also some may call it Kensington they had an open house. I won a contest and was told that I had won a free lifetime membership and later switched up and said it was for a year and later I was told it would only good for six months free. That was it for me and I told them that when the six months was up I was done. I stop going and they would not close my account. They were not helpful or polite. Then they tell me that I have to pay two more months to get out of the gym membership. They will not get another dime from me. If you are smart don't join. You will regret it. I am going to take legal action if they don't get this garbage solved!

When I first went to Retro Fitness, I got interested because of the price and the convenient location close to work. I got a deal for $20 a month. When I was signing up, I asked if it was a contract, and they said no. (My mistake, I should have read the fine lines.) After 3-4 months, I wanted to switch gym and went to cancel the direct payments, I was told I would have to wait 1 year to do so because it was a contract.

They are so sweet when they want to scam you and rip you off, but when you want to cancel, they get so nasty, unavailable and demanding all kind of paper through mail that first of all you did not go through such a hard time to sign up, why now to cancel. Anyways, I never paid it, I did not cancel and they got me on collection dept. Retro Fitness is a NO. This gym is on 98th St. Brooklyn , NY.

I wish I had read these reviews. I had a similar with cancellation and billing. First, I was told by the gym that I could not continue to use the gym if I canceled before the last day I used the gym, even if I had already paid for the month. Next, after I was charged a cancellation fee and canceled my membership, the gym charged me for that month. I disputed the issue with American Express. They sent over a contract stating that I need to cancel 30 days in advance. I had American Express place a block on the vendor, but I am still having issues contacting the billing office. The staff at the gym I use said they couldn't help me and I need to contact corporate directly.

I have read many complaints against Retro Fitness for the same reason. My son signed a year contract and they renewed it without his consent. I had tried to cancel it for months before and was totally misinformed. No one knows what their policy is there. They are all clueless. Even when I went to the club after receiving a letter from a collection agency, the manager told me should would cancel it, but she never did! I am paying the damn amount owed as I want Eric ** from the collections to stop calling me but this place should be shut down. Do NOT sign a contract with them, it is a scam.

This place is a big joke and no one is doing nothing about this. I don't think is cool getting ripped off by these clowns. It is such a process just to cancel. I tried to cancel my account. I called and was told to email them with my name and number and they will cancel it, that was 3 days ago after they charged me a $41.73 fee and was told that this is a yearly fee to guarantee that my monthly payment will stay at $21.52. Guess what? My card was just charged $21.52 after a supposed cancellation... with all these bad reviews and these bloodsuckers are just ripping people off and it seems to be ok. I do not understand why this is not being addressed.

Joined Retro last summer. Fulfilled contract. Sent certified LOC to ABC Financial, membership was NOT to RENEW. Well, I am still being charged for TANNING - and late charges because I am no longer a member & threatened by ABC Financial for Collections! Apparently in your LOC you are suppose to specify you would like TANNING, CHILDCARE, AND YOUR MEMBERSHIP cancelled. You cannot just write: "I would like to cancel my membership." You have to specify all the items you would like or you will continue to be charged for whatever you don't specify. SCAM!!! We have got an attorney - although we don't have a case - because they don't let you read the fine print when you sign up on an IPAD!

Retro Fitness in ASTON is an absolute scam and should be embarrassed how they treat their paying clients. I have paid my contract (a year obligation) even though I have only been there probably 5 times... understanding I signed a YEAR contract. I call the Studio in ASTON to CANCEL... My year contract is up. They cant do it.

I am told to call their financing agency... (but they ALSO CANNOT cancel my membership) They say I have to send a letter. What a scam they are running. There is NO FORM, no email to cancel, no fax.. Get this. You have to send a CERTIFIED snail mail letter to Arkansas. Are you kidding me? And believe me. If you know me I talked to everyone's managers... and called my credit card company. This is about as dirty as it comes to keep a small stipend coming in. AND I will still get charged before the 30 days post marked letter... AWESOME. (Understanding... No one reads their contract and they tell you BS to sign it.) I'm sorry to offend my instructor friends or those that happily work out there but the business side is not ethical in my opinion. #badbusiness #goodluckcanceling #maytheforcebewithyou

THE OWNER SHOULD BE IN JAIL. THEY WILL NOT LET ME CANCEL. I have been trying to cancel my membership for TEN MONTHS. Each time I sign a document stating that I will be charged for one additional month after my cancellation request (Fine. Not fine but fine) and then that will be my final payment. Then miraculously each time after that final payment date, I am still being charged months after!!! This happened 2 times already. Finally, I get someone to say I am finally eligible to cancel my membership. I make sure all my auto-renewals are turned off (I was looked in the eye and told auto renewal was off). I make sure I sign ANOTHER one of those damn papers that say I will owe only one additional payment and then my membership expires as of 4/23/16. Guess what? It's July and I was charged each month after April.

I call them to first ask if I am still a member of the gym, at which point they said, "No your membership expired 3 months ago," which I already know, which just confirms that I am not even a member anymore and yet they are still stealing my money!!! How this could possibly be because everything and everything has been cancelled and magically they have no idea how or why I am still being billed. The bank advised me to cancel my debit card, which I did, but now I'm reading from other reviewers that this only leads them to send my bill to a collection agency, which is terrifying.

At this point I would rather spend hundreds even thousands on a lawyer to stop this madness than to give Retro Fitness another penny. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and they will be dealing with this as well. I don't know what else I could possibly do for them to stop stealing my money. I pray the owner winds up in jail. I wish I could turn back time and never ever step foot into the horrible establishment.

I have been at this gym for over ten years. It was sold and now there has been a new owner since Dec. 2014. Since that time, I and members have been told repeatedly that the gym is going to be totally revamped "soon." Nothing has been done. Members have been told a smoothie bar and cardio theater is coming. Their website states that we already have this in the gym. All lies and false advertising! Treadmills and cardio equipment is broken and not fixed. When I or members tell the manager, he says that he will take care of it but nothing happens. This has been going on since this new owner has taken over. He is rarely in the gym. I don't care about a smoothie bar but just take care of what is in the gym!

But this week has been the last straw. The gym has been extremely hot since Wed. night, May 25, with temps ranging from 89 on Thursday, May 26, and 86 each day thereafter including today, May 30. When I complained to the manager on Thursday, the 26th, how hot it was, I was told the a/c was on and it takes a while to cool the place. Really? Since Wednesday! He finally put up a sign saying they were aware of the a/c situation yet nothing has been done! It has been 6 days and still is not fixed. It is unhealthy to work out because of the heat. I have written to the corporate office twice and have not heard back. This is all very frustrating. What recourse do I have about all this? Can you help?

When we signed up for Retro Fitness we specified it was only for one year, as it was just for physical therapy after an operation I had. I was not notified in any way that the contract would be automatically renewed and when they drew up the contract it was done on a tablet not on paper. We looked at the contract and there was nothing on it about automatic renewal.

After the year was up they started calling us saying that we signed up for automatic renewal which we were never told or notified in advance or shown any proof that we did so. Now they have been calling us everyday to get the monthly funds that we used to pay before and threatening to send it to collections agency damaging my credit. Do not fall into their trap. Make sure they give you paper contract and explain everything on it. Read and reread the fine print if there is any on it. When we spoke to the assistant manager she admitted that she does that with all her customers and felt no remorse for the situation they put us in.

I joined Retro Fitness in late 2012, early 2013. Everything was fine. Fast forward to January 2014, I was asked if I wanted to get a free personal training session. I agreed and figured that it would be good for me to try the personal training. When signing up for the personal training sessions with Terry **, I mentioned that it was free and what a condescending attitude he had, saying that it was not free, but complimentary. I said they told me it was free, and he said they never said that. I should have ran then, but I was naive and I signed up anyway. When I trained with him, he told me to warm up on the treadmill or elliptical for five minutes. When I was done with the warm-up, I would find him signing more people up and I had to wait for him. During the sessions he kept looking at his watch and saying to do a set of ten reps of whatever exercise it was and he would be right back.

He kept doing this for the three or four sessions that I had with him. After that, I was told that another trainer was going to be working with me. Okay fine. I worked with her for a few weeks. She would give me these exercises that I just couldn't do and she would say, "Come on. You can do it. Just a few more." I would try and do the sit-ups. I had to sit up, turn, grab these squares (6 squares stacked in a row), turn to the other side and place it down. I could do a few, but age that my body just wouldn't cooperate. She was nice, but can't you see that I can't do this? I am 5'5 inches tall, and, at the time I would say that I was 160 pounds. Once she showed me to get under the rack where all of the weights were stored and hold on the bottom of the rack and pull my lower half up to the ceiling. I was told that I could work on my own when I didn't meet with her. When I did, I never did that exercise.

I found that to be dangerous, if they should fall over. Another time she told me to lean against a wall and bring my legs out while holding the wall and push myself up with my arms. I did it one time and one of my arms went numb for a few days. I wonder if the trainer was even certified. When I first signed up for the training, I was told that I could get my file from the filing cabinet and update my cardio log when I was done with my workout. I didn't go to the gym for about a month or so. When I finally went back and went to go to the file to log my workout, I had this little nasty man named "Justice" come up to me asking me what I was doing in there and telling me that I couldn't be in there and closing the door of filing cabinet. I explained to him that I was told that I could log my cardio workouts on the paper in the filing cabinet.

Everything settled down and he told me that the trainer that I worked with was gone and that EFT was gone and that Retro Fitness had taken over their accounts. I should have asked for something in writing, which would prove that fact, but you live and you learn. I didn't know what was in store for me. Boy, oh boy. I worked with my final trainer for the rest of 2014. She took measurements, and my weight and sent me the info to my phone, which the others didn't do. I liked her and all, but I realized that I needed to reduce my expenses, because I had and continue to this day to pay out-of-pocket for my school, which close to $600 a month on top of rent and my other expenses. School is a priority for me because I have to worry about my future and other things have to wait.

With all of my other expenses, I realized that my expenses were more than my income, so I told my trainer in October that I would not be renewing my personal training contract. I explained to her the same thing that I just mentioned here. She said that she understood and she would show me exercises to do at home. January 2015 comes around. I'm on the treadmill. I see a guy talking to someone and looking at me. I get off of the treadmill and he approaches me, asking me if I want to sign up for the personal training. I said that I couldn't and explained to him my financial situation. The next day I am on the elliptical and a young woman approaches me and asks if I want to work with her. I explained my financial situation to her as I did with the last two trainers. She says "okay" and walks away. August 15, 2015, I sign up for bill pay with my bank. My schedule is pretty full with work, school, and studying and at the time overtime.

I pay my bills, but didn't' look at my statements (shame on me). I decide to look at my statements online and I see that Retro Fitness is still withdrawing money from my checking account automatically, because, when I first joined, I gave them my debit card so they would be paid on time. They took a total of $595.00 for me for training that I didn't receive. A $140 charge I guess for the renewal, $80 one day and the very next day, another $80, plus the charge for the two sessions a month that I initially signed for. At any time after January 2015 did anyone come up to me in any way, shape or form to say "Hey, why aren't you using any of the sessions that you paying for?" Nothing. They just took my money for nothing. Then I find out that I have to send a certified letter 60 days in advance in order to cancel the personal training sessions. And come to find out that the contract doesn't expire.

It automatically converts into a month-to-month contract after your initial year is up. I know that I was careless and stupid for not digging out my contract and reading it, but it would have been nice to have someone make me aware of that fact. It only would have taken about five seconds of their time to tell me. But a contract is a contract, so I'm out of luck. They have their contract to back them up. Being that I was ignorant of the cancellation policy, and that all three trainers failed to tell me how to properly cancel, I didn't have the certified recipient and letter requesting to cancel, so my bank had to deny my claim.

All was fine before I signed up for this personal training. That was one of my mistakes. The other mistakes I am ashamed of, and believe me I paid financially and emotionally for my stupidity, ignorance and carelessness. I just want to warn others out there if I could. I just told this long story to warn others to stay away from this gym, at the very least this personal training. If you sign up for the gym, please be warned to be careful. Unfortunately, it may be too late for some people who didn't read reviews before joining.

I have had my attorney try and get them to refund me, citing the Evergreen Clause. As of today I have not received one response from them. All the response I got was harassing emails and phone calls at every phone number I gave them every week requesting money for my membership. They sent me to collections. That was their only response. Although I was furious that they did this to me, I bit down hard on the bullet and I settled with them and paid them off so it wouldn't ruin my credit.

No one cleans the equipment when they're done using it. I just watch people on their phone texting just sitting on the machines sweating and it's gross. I have become ill on more than one occasion actually losing time from work. I make sure I properly clean the machines before and after I use them but it's not enough. The tanning machine is disgusting. I don't think that it's ever been cleaned and snooty girl at front desk had nerve to ask me if I had my eyewear!

Horrible gym! Canceled my gym membership in Jan. 2016. Sent a letter certified with the agreed upon final payment. They continued to bill me and sent my account to collections.

I signed up with this gym late last year. To my surprise I didn't know there would be so many issues with this gym until I started looking into getting personal training for the first time. Though I'm not new to fitness I had never had a personal trainer before and I needed to learned many things on working out with those machines in there, proper technique, etc. I was first appointed to a trainer I thought was a good trainer after watching with his clients so many times before asking for his help, might be a good one to start out with. But boy was I in for a treat, he seemed to know somewhat on working out but lack a lot of skills in trainer female clients. He would give me same old workouts, rotating them with other clients that were men. When I asked him many times to show me other things with machines or workouts for the female anatomy, only thing he would say is "We are all the same". Huh!

That didn't make sense to me so after dealing with that and his unprofessional attitude doing other things in the gym like talking about others there and playing games on his phone I got rid of him so to speak, until he sent me a text before I could come in to cancel all sessions with him next day. As he said we weren't working out and he thinks I would better be fitted with other trainer there instead, in a short text late at night not even confront me properly. Then I was appointed another trainer few weeks ago which did not work out since I had to pay her for everything including advice on looking at my workouts just to tell me what she thought of them. Asking for $30.00 per workout, ridiculous since I never heard that before from previous trainer or anyone paying like that. This female trainer then surprised me at last minute when I show up to workout with her to tell me she can't and I needed to talk to manager there.

"Whats going on?" I ask. Well manager called her out on charging me for advice so she refuses to work with me that day and future appts. despite all else when I'm paying her. Having done nothing wrong but ask manager for help looking over my works which he called her out on. Wow! Crazy! Those trainers so immature and unprofessional, be watchful about hiring them. Now I'm paying without any trainer's help and being left in the cold on whole situation with still paying for no one and hoping the manager fixes this a second time around, stuck in contract with gym membership and trainer contract I'm so frustrated!

I joined this club because my family are members. I am currently a member at another club where I do many spin classes. This was going to be my "fill-in" club. I found the manager to be condescending toward older people. He mentioned, when I told him, that I was interested in the spin classes that the "music gets kind of loud". When I mentioned that I am not tech savvy and would like to call to reserve my bike, as I do in the other club, where I take 8 class in 5 days, he said that would be fine. After being a member for a month and a half my bike, that I had phoned in for, was not reserved. The manager said that the policy was changed and there would be no more calling in. When I informed him that I had a one year verbal agreement, he said he did not care and the rules were changed and he said he was canceling my contract. I would not recommend this club to anyone.

This is the Retro located in East Brunswick, NJ. The music that is played between the hours of 5 am to 2 pm shift is outdated like from the 50s. The counter person is older than my grandma. I figure to see some nice young girls to greet me and it's the total opposite. Also it's always very hot and smells bad.

I have been a customer of Retro Fitness, Clark NJ for quite some time. But, in the past year I have hardly used my membership. Imagine my surprise when I notified them in person today that I want to drop my membership and was informed that they will continue to bill me for 60 days! And that the contract I originally signed explained that fact. Believe me, had I known that I would never have signed up with them. And had I read reviews such as on this website I would never have signed up with them.

So, I want to join the many others here in warning you about this company. They expect to be paid without giving anything in exchange. Sure, they say you're free to use the gym facilities you just told them you don't want to and haven't been using. But really they're giving nothing in exchange. I'm supposed to call the manager, Chris ** tomorrow. If it goes well I'll change this review. After reading the complaints here I'm not holding my breath. One other thing, the girl who took my cancellation information gave me quite an attitude. She said she could have made things much more difficult for me but was trying to be helpful. That's example of one of the employees at this place.

I am so disappointed with this gym and customer service is horrible. Please think twice before you sign the paper because you are about to be a victim of a major financial crime. I REPEAT, DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM. Everything was good until I tried to cancel my personal training membership. I have been trying to get the withdrawals stopped from my account for several months. They just don't seem to be able to remove me from their billing system. They continued to charge my account even after my membership ended. They refused to give me a refund for services I did not received.

I've had to resort to disputing charges from this gym with my card company. I am going to have to close my account in order to get it stopped.They are dishonest, fraudulent and I will not recommend them. I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. So be aware. Their cancellation practice is as difficult as possible to make sure they can sucker you for all they can.

Just joined Retro Neptune City. Paid for a full year. Paid for 24 strength training sessions. After one session was unable to access computer program (after multiple attempts) to set up future sessions. Advised facility of difficulty. Advised by employee, "Nothing has changed since you signed up." After the one training session I was advised by the trainer that he "would text" to set up the next session. Never heard from him.

Later that day I sent a text to the trainer who signed me up. I made him aware that I continued to be unable to sign into the portal to arrange the next session and could he please remind the other trainer to text me. Never resolved. Requested a refund for training. Advised that a refund can only be made within three days. I've only been a member for a little over a week and signed up for strength training 1/27/16. Poor service. Refused refund. BIG money loss. Will not renew gym membership after the year since I paid in full!!!

I was a member of Retro Fitness in Flemington NJ for 3 years. It was a good experience until I tried to cancel my membership. I was told that it takes 60 days (2 months) to process the cancellation, during which time I would continue to be charged. I could still use the gym during that time, though... My question is: Why is it that when you join Retro Fitness your paperwork is processed immediately, however, it takes 2 months when you cancel??? Planet Fitness processes your cancellation immediately. Poor business practice Retro Fitness! If you treat your customers fairly, they may return.

I enrolled at Retro Fitness with my husband and 15 yr old son, thinking it was a nice place since it had opened not long ago. The first day we went to the gym was very disappointing. There wasn't machines like at Planet Fitness, and I felt violated, perverts just eyeing you made it very uncomfortable. I told my husband and we decided it was not a place for us. My husband went to cancel and was told No unless you have a medical condition. I fully understand the policy however, if we decided not to go they can charge some early cancelation fee and not force us to keep a contract for a whole yr charging the card.

We don't like any problems so we have to suck it up for the next 7 months. Oh, that's another thing, if we want to cancel we must do it in writing and mail it. Terrible business but they are quick to enroll you and take the money. This is disgusting and I would never recommend anyone to Retro Fitness. I'll head back to Planet Fitness better service, welcoming and great prices (cheaper). The only reason why we left was because it's a driving distance and parking is difficult. We canceled Planet Fitness and that was that, no stupidness like Retro forcing you to stay when we are clearly not happy. I wish Retro fitness would stop charging my husband's card and cancel the ridiculous membership which is overpriced as well.

Retro Fitness Company Profile