Manahawkin, NJ

4.0/5 (112 ratings)

About Retro Fitness

Retro Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

Original review: April 22, 2021

I froze my account a year ago and noticed I was being charged for services not rendered. I called Retro Fitness in Stroudsburg PA and explained that I was being charged for services I was not using. I was told that after a year your account unfreezes and charges restart. I asked to close my account out and I was told to close my account I needed to come in person to close the account. I was not allowed to do it over the phone. I tried to explain to the lady on the phone that I was having some medical concerns and did not want to go in to have to close the account out but again was told I need to come in person to sign papers or they would continue to charge my credit card on file.

I proceeded to go to Retro Fitness to close my account, as I entered I was told that a machine had to take my temp (I explained I am only there to close my account and a guy in a red shirt was rude when responding and stated it does not matter) which I found to be inconsistent with how they are trying to prevent the spread of COVID-19 due to the fact they should have allowed me to close the account over the phone if they are taking COVID-19 precautions seriously. I was directed to go over to speak with a girl that worked there. I asked why they do not notify the customer when it is almost time to unfreeze their accounts so we can continue with the services or close the account before being charged. She responded, "You sign an agreement and should know when your account is going to be unfrozen."

I then explained that the agreement is signed a year ago and I can not remember a year later that I will need to close the account, I stated it would courteous and appreciated if they sent out a reminder to the customer and give them a heads up but my suggestion were ignored. Retro did nothing to make things right nor did they seem to care about my dissatisfaction with how I was told I had to come in person to close the account and the fact I was charged to 2 months of services I never used.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I was charged a yearly fee despite the gym being opened for 4 months and then closed for 8 months. The front desk manager in the Jackson NJ branch threatened she would send me to collections if I didn't pay. I got an email saying I had 5 days to comply. When I went it to see if I can get it removed the manager was incredibly rude and I was forced to pay to not be sent to collections. Now I'm disputing the charge.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I am hesitant to trash a "local business", but I've left 5-star reviews on Google for over 25 local businesses, so believe me when I say that Retro Fitness in East Windsor has *earned* this: A negligent personal trainer pushed me into running when I was clearly out of shape and told them so, aggravating a bone spur and tearing a meniscus. In March, the gym closed because of COVID, but the pain continued. After 26 sessions of physical therapy, X-Rays and two MRIs, the osteopathic surgeon says I likely have permanent knee damage. I never had a single knee problem before walking into Retro. My fault for not leaving sooner - agreed, but I'm not the professional here.

Then, in September 2020, they started billing me again even though I was my account was on medical hold. No phone call, no e-mail, no text - just a resumption of billing. Why are gyms so sleazy? This post is not an outlet for anger or frustration - my letters to Retro Corporate, BBB and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs will be *that* outlet. I am sending out a warning: caveat emptor. When you join one of these gyms, be very careful because it seems like their mode of operations is to screw you. EAST WINDSOR RETRO FITNESS IS A FRAUD.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Had any action been taken on this unethical and scam organization so far? I have had the worst experience ever with this place. I enrolled at the 1NYP location for a 1 year contract and tried to cancel after finishing a year and they never processed my cancellation instead kept charging. First of all they have the worst method of cancelled, apparently we need to call them and cancel but unfortunately they never pick their calls and if they do they process Cancellation. Each time I called back and said I spoke to a so and so multiple times and the manager said no such person exists and they kept charging my account.

The level of arrogance with these workers is appalling. Finally after scamming me for a long time and 100 calls later they cancelled my account. This was a complete nightmare. I am surprised this scam organization still exists and that nobody has sued them yet. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. I am NEVER going back even if this is the only gym on the planet.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I am appalled as a loyal member of 5+ years at the Toms River, South NJ Retro Fitness gym facility that while during the national lockdown imposed by the government, mayor, state officials, etc; during this National PANDEMIC having closed all gyms 2 weeks ago and prior to what would be a normal charge on my bill retracted at the end of March 2020, that I still have in fact been charged for a (closed) service which had been closed for two weeks now when in all UNfairness I nor anyone for that matter can use the facilities both statewide as well as nationwide.

I hope this informs others, whom much like myself, assumed there would be no such charge for the use of a facility which has been ordered closed and therefore unusable which have been put on lockdown via state legislations to be seeing a bill on their account for the month of March 2020, again nearly 2 weeks after closing its doors to all! This clearly comes during the statewide, nationwide, worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic.

When I called today 3/25/2020 to inquire regarding this insane act of being charged, I was also shocked since I’d sent in my cancellation notice back in early February which I’d sent in as required following Retro Fitness’ protocols in response to a family member’s warnings, who are in the advanced medical field and who have aggressively warned me early on, on behalf of their eerily accurate correct assertions of the dangers of going to any public gym (albeit being highly downplayed and disregarded as we now acknowledge and have seen played out horrifically by our top politicians).

I have submitted an early close out or cancellation letter to close my account entirely back in early Feb 2020 which was for some “unknown reason” either ignored according to a representative on behalf of Retro Fitness as they do not have an answer. Again that is no answer why they have not received my cancellation letters (plural) sent in via mail and email. 18 days later I was charged for the month of February in continuation and also NOW in March (a month later), when no one should be charged once again due to mass closings implemented by the government, here again I am charged 2 weeks after the fact with yet again no explanation of why and how.

For those who think they were halted for a charge as common sense would imply, think again! If you have not yet seen your account charge for Retro Fitness please take into note to check for the month of March when measures to close all nonessential businesses went into effect! I had only yesterday seen on the news another gym chain charging its members exactly the same by responding that they will be credited when the gym reopens. That may very well be 6 months from now God willing. That is not acceptable. As this is what prompted me to call my gym: Retro Fitness after seeing that newscast bit, for not only the same issue but also why my cancellation 2 months prior was seemingly overridden. I was told and I quote by the rep on the phone “I do not know why your letter didn’t result into your account being closed”.

When I asked why people are being charged for the month of March during a time where members obviously cannot use the facility as it is unfair to charge amidst a lockdown, their further response to that was similar; “I am not sure but I can put you on a 3 month temporary stop”. What? Did he not just hear me allude to my cancellation I’d sent in for the month of February 2020 early on canceling my membership altogether 2 months early? I find this extremely poor business ethics taking advantage of those who like myself not only have lost my job but am myself hoping I have enough funds for food and bills come next month. From the limited information I was able to obtain from Retro Fitness’ rep, he could not even tell me if they are going to continue to charge each month in addition despite not being opened. Absurd!

I had no complaints regarding this gym until now, other than shaking my head in response to the extremely high numbers of other reports left by other unhappy members who seemingly have also have had immense trouble closing their accounts which is absolutely ridiculous. There is a pandemic ongoing. A crisis, whereby services are enforced to close. There is absolutely no excuse for any gym or other closed business to continue to charge people when people who are likely laid off as myself with no known means of any turnaround need money most. If not for the ability to choose zero stars I wouldn’t have gladly chosen 1 star. Extremely disappointing. Please take note and contact your gym regardless of which company before they begin not answering calls which I suspect.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I was a member of the Retro Fitness Durham, NC branch. The management there is not honest at all, when I signed in I asked about the cancellation policy and I mentioned that I will be moving out of Durham in a month time so the staff told me that all I need to do is pay a 49$ yearly fee and my month to month membership and provide a proof that I moved to a new place that is not within 30 miles of the gym, which I did and then they told me that I cannot cancel unless I pay a 3 months penalty fee as written in the contract which is something they never mentioned before.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I've been coming to Retro Fitness in Marshalls Creek over since it has opened to tan and workout, the tanning bulb need to be replace and equipment needs be repaired faster. Other than that people are great and I love that it opens at place 5:00 a.m.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I have been an Active Member for eleven years and a Retro Fitness Manager for three years. This same location met terms of contract for seven years. This most recent year this location over $19.95 refused to renew my Membership under previous terms so I renewed under a newer Franchise eager to have my Membership under the same terms as the previous years. Shortly after the current Ownership started Staff and Management were so disrespectful to me I personally got word to Eric Casaburi through a mutual Friend.

Now a year later one of the original Staff refused to open the locked entry doors 10 minutes to closing while I knocked on the early locked doors. I work 70 miles away one hour plus to use the gym for my heart condition. The Staff Member kept his back to me while another Member twice watched me at the early locked door. The Retro Staff Member totally ignored me turned the lights out and walked away from me. I can pardon even though I lost a workout Partner and Friend too annoyed with Staff and Management to be part and live with my public reputation smear based on a Protected Category from before but tonight 21 February 2020 10:47 pm to close a Franchise early and ignore long time prepaid Retro Members even the acknowledgement after getting the attention of the other Member and or Staff Member who was kind enough to give a look of courteousness is unacceptable.

Eric Casaburi and his brother have built Retro Fitness into a Professional Organization but this attitude is inappropriate. I'm glad my prepaid in full membership is recently with another Franchise Owner one of the nicest ever. All the current daily Staff Members are awesome but it would respectful not to close early without notice or announcement. It appeared that this Staff Member was intentionally ignoring me despite his Friends kind acknowledgment that i was knocking and waving at the front door. Do the Math near $300 @ month including purchases of Smoothies etc over 7 to 10 years minimum $$25,000 investment even when I was unable to participate or slandered so bad or accosted I could not workout in Peace.

Maybe this Staff Member wasn't aware of my presence which I believe he was as he turned away while his Friend acknowledged me waving but I'm sure he was still on the clock while shooting the breeze and not doing his job. I love Retro Fitness regardless as I recently renewed my Membership with another Franchise and will continue my patronage with Southampton but ask that they not close early with no seeming emergency event and no sign notifying Members of early closures. My pictures of the closed Gym are valid.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Belonged to Retro for 6 years. It has been a steady decline for the past 2 years. More machines need repair than the ones that work properly. I brought it to the manager's attention and was constantly told "we are working on it". It's been at least 6 months that they promised that they were working on it. Don't waste your money on this place!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Please read, and never become a member at any Retro Fitness. Do your research. It's so much cheaper to build a professional home gym anyway. I have called numerous times to cancel my membership. I drafted a cancellation letter and they denied my letter. I paid all of what I owed and re-drafted the letter for my gym to deny the letter a second time. I called numerous times and each time I was either left on hold or transferred to their corporate office who always told me to contact my gym. On my last call to cancel the membership I was still being charged for, they had me email ABC Financial who told me my email was in error and that I needed to contact my local gym. I have tried to be as professional as possible, but it is impossible at this point. Even when I did attend their gyms, the three locations I tried were outdated, dirty and very poorly kept. The staff was alright however I always seemed to have a problem with my card which never scanned.

Retro Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Retro Fitness is a health club franchise founded in 2002 in New Jersey. With over 150 locations, its gyms feature a retro theme with fitness equipment, group fitness classes and more.

• Equipment: Retro Fitness gyms offer cardio equipment, circuit training, weights and more. Most of its treadmills offer Direct TV and iPod docks, and its bicycles are connected to the Internet.

• Nutrition: Most Retro Fitness locations offer smoothie bars, supplements and healthy snacks. These food options can help you maintain your energy before and after a heavy workout.

• Cardio theater: Retro Fitness’ cardio theaters regularly screen 1980s feature films. You can work out on your favorite cardio equipment while watching.

• Low fees: Memberships at most Retro Fitness locations cost just $19.99/month. This gives you access to equipment, classes and many other amenities.

• Pro Shop: Most Retro Fitness locations feature a Pro Shop with all the gear you need for a successful workout. They sell supplements, Under Armour brand workout clothing, gloves, headphones and more.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Retro Fitness Company Information