Manahawkin, NJ

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.09/5

Retro Fitness Reviews

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I was enrolled in Retro Fitness Citrus Park branch FL during the month of June 2019 and while enrolling there was guy called AUSTIN who walked me through the process. I was 100% confident that I had never signed for any package for one year contract and enrolling for Auto Payment. When AUSTIN (Manager) had asked me to provide my bank details, I said I don't have it with me and that I would first like to try out the facility and later decide. I hardly used the facility for 10 days and very soon I had to change my house to Brandon due to personal reasons. But I never knew that RETRO FITNESS very sleekly robs my money from the ACCOUNT without even me AUTHORIZING them for the AUTO PAYMENT.

When I called and spoke to Austin about having me removed from the Auto Pay for which I have never even Authorized Retro Fitness, he says NO he won't be able to do that and the funny part is that he say I will be liable to pay Retro Fitness for one year. I called my bank immediately and filed a dispute and have them removed as a biller from my account. AUSTIN if you read this message, request you to be transparent to your new customers and most important is to be HONEST!!!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Tried cancelling my son's membership repeatedly. Given the runaround so they could steal another month worth of dues! Obviously this is commonplace tactic with them, just look at the reviews. Will never join another Retro. They make it brutally difficult to cancel your membership. By far the worse experience I have had at any gym.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was charged $20 for being 1 day late! Guess they don't need my business! See ya! After being a member for over 4 years. I talked to Melissa the manager and she said it was the policy. I worked there for years and we always waived late fees when a member was trying to pay!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Worst fitness ever, bad management, horrible people, and very racist. They will keep charging you even after you tell them you want to cancel. I told them I want to cancel my account because they treated me very bad and most of the machines are not working most of the time, and when I told them they said, "Ok but you have to pay 70% of what is remaining." I was like, "How does that make sense to pay 70% of the remaining monthly payments when I’m not gonna come anymore," they said it’s in the contract! Even that no one said anything when I was signing the contract, then I said, "Ok I’ll keep it and try to make a lemonade out of the lemon," but then few months later it gets worse so I was like, "No that’s enough. I don’t want to go to this place anymore."

So I went and asked them to cancel and pay the 70% so he told me, "Oh sorry but if you want to cancel you gonna have to pay the whole amount" and I was like "How are you kidding me, didn’t you said before I’ll pay 70% and when I told you why you said it’s in the contract," he said, "Yeah but sorry cuz the owner just changed the rules one hour ago" and here he left me in a chock??? I was but it’s a contract he said but this is the new rules. So guys no matter what you will lose, be careful and stay away from this place, they will take your money and will treat you badly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

There were two Retro Fitness locations that were convenient when I signed up at Retro 2 years ago, one near my home and one near work. Both locations are now closed. The one near my house closed on 24 December 2018. Now Retro will not let me cancel my automatic deduction from my credit card. I am told that I have to go to where I signed up... Duh the location that I signed up at IS NOW CLOSED. Just a bunch of crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Retro Fitness in Oceanside, NY is a scam! If I could give ZERO stars- I would!! First off- SCAM. My credit card numbers were in someone else’s account and after $336.89 in charges on someone’s else’s account, Retro Fitness and their third party account memberships management, ABC Financial DECLINED to issue me a refund and fix this error. I know that it was an error with their membership account services / set up and they refuse to resolve this and basically told me to, "**, we are keeping your $336.89." If that’s not horrible customer service, what is?

The owners of Oceanside, NY location declined to resolve this. Now this inconvenience has lead me to have to take legal actions and has been nothing but a headache. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen and the worst financial scam that my attorney has seen. Beware... they offer you a deal to sign up. Then overcharge your card, their system may put your credit card info into someone else’s account and they won’t fix it. Hours of phone calls and headaches and they still refuse!!! Their offers are not worth this!!! Nothing is!!! Go to Blink Fitness or NY Sports Club!!! They would never scam like Retro Fitness has! They could have refunded me and I wouldn’t be so distraught, but they refuse to issue my money back and leave it on an account that’s not mine!!! But keep my account in past due status. Meanwhile my card was charged every month for 9 months!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I requested to cancel my membership which I was told to give it in written and said will be charged for next 3 months because we cancelled the contract. We agreed to pay 3 months and cancelled. Now it's been 5th month getting charged and talked to manager and he said the guy with whom we cancelled didn't gave you correct information and said we will be charged until 1 year.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I cancelled my membership on a third day I signed a contract (May 29h 2018). Just came to the gym on Y Avenue (325 Ave Y Brooklyn NY 11223 ) and told manager (don't recall his exact name **- gingerish guy with a beard) that I am done with them. I asked do I have to sign anything, he responded, "No, it's ok." I just need to give my name and my retro card, so I did. After a month I noticed that card was charged about $63. I called to the gym/to ABC. They responded it was just some maintenance fee that I had to pay anyway. WTF?! Moreover, I figured out that my membership was not canceled but frozen. I WAS NEVER TOLD ABOUT IT!!!

To finish my membership they offered me to pay more $250! $250 for 2 days of training in a dirty gym! None of these terms were stated before I signed a contract which was on their tablet! I realized that they don't deserve fair treatment, so just cancelled my card. I am still getting emails with demands to pay. But they cannot force you. I just moved to Russia, but they keep sending me increasing debt. Well, I don't think they realize that their company has no weight in Moscow. If somebody ever had the same experience as I did, please let's gather in group and make a petition to end their fraudulent business. Companies like this shouldn't exist. They know that their business is illegal, otherwise they would sue everyone who stops monthly robbery of the card like I did. Let's get in touch and file official complaint on them, their business is rotten and easily can get destroyed if more than 100 people gather together and go to the court.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My 17 year old daughter joined Retro Fitness in Lincroft NJ when she began working/driving. They happily took her sign up fee and credit card information to bill her on a regular basis. Almost a year later, she was getting ready to leave for college. We needed to cancel her membership. I called the gym, asked for the manager so I could discuss my daughter's membership cancellation. The guy that answered the phone said that, Kathleen, wasn't available and that I needed to put my request in the form of a letter and send it in. Following instructions, I typed a letter on my daughter's behalf and walked it into the gym the next day. I asked for the manager and was told that she wasn't there. This was the second time the manager wasn't around.

The girl behind the counter asked me what this was in reference to, I told her that I was looking to cancel my daughter's membership because she left for college, I go to hand her the letter and she puts her hands up in the air saying "I can't take that from you, you need to send it to us certified mail." I think my mouth was hanging open at this point. "I'm here handing it to you, why do I need to send it certified?" totally keeping my composure. She says "because then we'll have proof that you sent it." I said to her, "is that camera working?" while pointing at the overhead camera that was facing us, she said "yes." I said, "Then there's your proof." She says, "sorry, you need to send it certified so we have actual proof."

Trying to keep my composure, I said "so you want me to take this letter over to the post office, address an envelope, pay to have it sent here certified so you can receive it, tear open the envelope with the certification stamps on it and throw the envelope in the trash while holding this very letter in your hand." I continued "I know you didn't write the policy but you have to admit it's pretty stupid." She said "sorry, you have to send it certified mail." I wished her a nice day and left. My daughter was since charged her annual fee of $112.11 and according to other complaints I've read, I'm sure that my certified letter will sit on the manager's desk for a good long time so they can charge my daughter's credit card for a few more months. Never again. Horrible customer service. Horrible policy.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Well, I guess it has been said enough already by other reviewers. I just agree with everything. It is a money making scheme run by greedy corporation. Yes, you will join in a second for $19.99 a month. But then they will start billing you all kinds of fees including their beloved $42 annual fee (for what???). I went to the gym directly, made them give me a copy of cancellation request and double checked again in a few days. Make sure you talk to a manager and not just to a cute young lady at the service desk. Still they charged me annual fee, but I am happy I got out from that terrible establishment. I also put my credit card on freeze so those crooks would not keep charging me.

Retro Fitness Company Information