Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.08/5

Manahawkin, NJ

Retro Fitness Reviews

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I requested to cancel my membership which I was told to give it in written and said will be charged for next 3 months because we cancelled the contract. We agreed to pay 3 months and cancelled. Now it's been 5th month getting charged and talked to manager and he said the guy with whom we cancelled didn't gave you correct information and said we will be charged until 1 year.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I cancelled my membership on a third day I signed a contract (May 29h 2018). Just came to the gym on Y Avenue (325 Ave Y Brooklyn NY 11223 ) and told manager (don't recall his exact name **- gingerish guy with a beard) that I am done with them. I asked do I have to sign anything, he responded, "No, it's ok." I just need to give my name and my retro card, so I did. After a month I noticed that card was charged about $63. I called to the gym/to ABC. They responded it was just some maintenance fee that I had to pay anyway. WTF?! Moreover, I figured out that my membership was not canceled but frozen. I WAS NEVER TOLD ABOUT IT!!!

To finish my membership they offered me to pay more $250! $250 for 2 days of training in a dirty gym! None of these terms were stated before I signed a contract which was on their tablet! I realized that they don't deserve fair treatment, so just cancelled my card. I am still getting emails with demands to pay. But they cannot force you. I just moved to Russia, but they keep sending me increasing debt. Well, I don't think they realize that their company has no weight in Moscow. If somebody ever had the same experience as I did, please let's gather in group and make a petition to end their fraudulent business. Companies like this shouldn't exist. They know that their business is illegal, otherwise they would sue everyone who stops monthly robbery of the card like I did. Let's get in touch and file official complaint on them, their business is rotten and easily can get destroyed if more than 100 people gather together and go to the court.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My 17 year old daughter joined Retro Fitness in Lincroft NJ when she began working/driving. They happily took her sign up fee and credit card information to bill her on a regular basis. Almost a year later, she was getting ready to leave for college. We needed to cancel her membership. I called the gym, asked for the manager so I could discuss my daughter's membership cancellation. The guy that answered the phone said that, Kathleen, wasn't available and that I needed to put my request in the form of a letter and send it in. Following instructions, I typed a letter on my daughter's behalf and walked it into the gym the next day. I asked for the manager and was told that she wasn't there. This was the second time the manager wasn't around.

The girl behind the counter asked me what this was in reference to, I told her that I was looking to cancel my daughter's membership because she left for college, I go to hand her the letter and she puts her hands up in the air saying "I can't take that from you, you need to send it to us certified mail." I think my mouth was hanging open at this point. "I'm here handing it to you, why do I need to send it certified?" totally keeping my composure. She says "because then we'll have proof that you sent it." I said to her, "is that camera working?" while pointing at the overhead camera that was facing us, she said "yes." I said, "Then there's your proof." She says, "sorry, you need to send it certified so we have actual proof."

Trying to keep my composure, I said "so you want me to take this letter over to the post office, address an envelope, pay to have it sent here certified so you can receive it, tear open the envelope with the certification stamps on it and throw the envelope in the trash while holding this very letter in your hand." I continued "I know you didn't write the policy but you have to admit it's pretty stupid." She said "sorry, you have to send it certified mail." I wished her a nice day and left. My daughter was since charged her annual fee of $112.11 and according to other complaints I've read, I'm sure that my certified letter will sit on the manager's desk for a good long time so they can charge my daughter's credit card for a few more months. Never again. Horrible customer service. Horrible policy.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Well, I guess it has been said enough already by other reviewers. I just agree with everything. It is a money making scheme run by greedy corporation. Yes, you will join in a second for $19.99 a month. But then they will start billing you all kinds of fees including their beloved $42 annual fee (for what???). I went to the gym directly, made them give me a copy of cancellation request and double checked again in a few days. Make sure you talk to a manager and not just to a cute young lady at the service desk. Still they charged me annual fee, but I am happy I got out from that terrible establishment. I also put my credit card on freeze so those crooks would not keep charging me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had been a member here since they opened their doors, I can't tell you how many times the toilets, elevators and exercise equipment has been broken or in need of cleaning. On top of that, although I went into the club three times to cancel my daughter's membership before she went to college, nobody at the front desk could manage to do it properly, which led to me continuing to be charged monthly and annual fees! When I went in again to speak to the staff, it was as if they'd never seen me before! Nobody had any recollection of me trying desperately to close her account, so I was basically told to go fly a kite. The manager actually offered to cancel my membership! What a way to treat clients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Retro Fitness?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I got sick and moved 2000 miles away from the club and they are forcing me to pay 6 months trainer sessions to the tune of $165 a month even with proof from the doctor and my mailing address. Stay away. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: June 24, 2018

After notifying Retro Fitness of my medical reasons for having to take time off from my program (hip replacement). I was told my account was FROZEN, my credit card was billed $280.00. I cancelled the card immediately. I approached Ms ** and was told it was a billing error. The following month they attempted to bill my card another $280.00 on the frozen account. After numerous calls with no return calls I was told by their representative that I was reimbursed for the $ 280.00 and Quote "she was tired of this ** and she would have Ms. ** call me." No Call. I have now filed a claim in court to get my money back. They also have a collection agency trying to get $199.00 from me on monthly dues on the FROZEN ACCOUNT. A firm warning stay away from this sleazy underhanded, LYING outfit.

Original review: June 18, 2018

They make it impossible to cancel your account - so many hoops to jump through. This should be a simple process. If you do to want a product or service, you can get out. Terrible customer experience. DO NOT JOIN THIS CLUB, you will have a difficult time getting out. Between my wife and my accounts, I feel like Retro Fitness (New City) stole over 2 years of money from my family. $19.99 x 2 = $39.98 a month at 2 years is $959.52 for nothing. Someone needs to do something about this gym. They take advantage of customers.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Bad customer service - the membership contract is set up to make sure you have a most difficulty to cancel and if you make any mistake sending your Certified Mail cancellation, your credit is ruined that you worked hard to keep clean! ABC Financial - the corporation doing the billing for Retro has hundreds of bad reviews at BBB websites and Retro has disputes and low rating and well as at the customer affairs website, 148 1 star review speak for itself!

The gym experience is the worst of all and the employees are ignorant and disrespectful to customers. This is due to the business setup, they know you will need to go through difficulties if you want to cancel your membership, so they don't need to be curious and polite to customers. I recommend everyone NOT TO SIGN UP with Retro or any other gym that has ABC Financial as partner. This business setup show that the gym is not customer experience centered! They are money and greed centered! I hope my experience will save you from headache and problems.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I joined a local Retro Fitness in NJ while I was a part time college student at Rutgers University. I was told I could cancel in person at the gym when I returned back home to Pennsylvania. What a nightmare this has been. They told me I could not cancel at the gym, had to send a certified letter to the company. Tried that, no response. Tried sending a certified letter to their business office "ABC Financial", no response. I gave up trying to communicate with them as I did not have time to continue to send certified letters or drive back to NJ to settle this.

Just this week I receive a "collections" letter from them for $180 dollars for back dues. I canceled that membership, or so I thought and now I get this letter. When you call them they refer you back to Retro which is a joke because they refer you back to ABC. I followed instruction I was given and now they are putting me in collections. That is absolutely extremely poor business management practice and I now risk a bad report in my credit rating I have worked hard to maintain. Retro Fitness is the absolute worst, stay AWAY!!!

Retro Fitness Company Information