1.12/5

Knoxville, TN

99 National Fitness Center Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Well it started out ok. I saw the big sign saying 19.99 a month so I pulled in. That of course does not include the outside pool and other things. It boils down to you get to use the inside pool and the equipment and lockers rooms. So I signed up at around 11 am and walked out the door. I came back at 7 pm to work out and the guy at the front desk was so wrapped up in flirting with the hot woman he never said a word to me. Well I went straight to the locker room to use the sauna... Well that is when I was shocked. That and the steam room are the size of a hall closet. So I left for the day. That night I remembered him saying I have 3 days to cancel my membership...

So the NEXT day... less than 24 hrs later I go back in and tell him I want to cancel. He calls up I guess the boss and they tell me I need to send a certified letter to them... WTF? So I thought ok... So if I was going to do that I would want a signature card... So 9.00 later my letter was sent. I wait a few days and my 83.00 has not been returned. So I called them up and this is what they say... "It will take 30 days for you to get your money back..." WTF? So I waited 30 days and did not get my money... so I waited 6 more days and just called them. Today is Monday... They said they credited my account on the past Thursday and it might take a few days. So we will see... but this is BS! Make someone jump through hoops to get their money back... NEVER again.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I was attracted by a $10 a month ad Court South had and when I went in they told me all of the reasons the $10 a month fee didn't allow you to use most of their services and what a bad decision it would be and they eventually tried to get me to sign a contract for $45 per month. This may be against the law (Bait & Switch) and is unethical to say the least. My experience is they are a bunch of unethical con artists.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2018

This is my Second review. A year after the first one, my opinion has just gotten worse. My husband and I relocated to another state and sent them all the documentation they needed. Then they email us telling us they need an official lease not just a note from landlord. Well, the problem is, as we have explained to them several times - that we are in temporary housing through my husband’s colleagues until we buy a home. So we don't have an official lease. Then they say we need to give them a bill. We also explained that we have not switched the bills yet, we are just paying the landlord our dues directly. They insist that they need more proof although we literally sent them everything, including pay stubs from the new job.

When I tell them they are just trying to pull the last dollar out of someone’s pocket with their tricks, the lady literally hangs up on me wishing me to have a nice day. I call again and they ignore me. This is their attitude and their philosophy. The customer’s opinion is worth nothing to them. And they will try to rip you off, just like they have been ripping us off for 3 years now. Trust me I even called the Vice President and complained, and the guy had the same attitude like everybody else who works there. If I could rate this company with 0 stars, I would.

Original review: April 24, 2017

My monthly gym charges automatically go to one of my credit cards. The credit card company detected a broad security breach and issued me a new credit card with a new number (my account was unaffected by the breach and I had no evidence of it). It was a pain changing my handful of monthly direct charges. I didn't notify National Fitness soon enough within the billing cycle and a fee of $64.95 was charged to my card when I gave them the new number. They said they had incurred "return charge fees" from their bank and they would not give me credit for this fee. They also said I had waited too long to request a refund.

So, if your credit card number changes and you call to give National Fitness your new card number, ask if they are going to charge you a hefty fee because they incurred return charge fees. (I don't know how expensive return charge fees are, but I doubt they are anywhere close to $64.95.) Ask what the fees are and volunteer to pay those instead of the inflated number I had to pay. When I provided my new credit card number, the person was very pleasant, but she didn't tell me I'd have extra fees to pay. She should have been honest and transparent.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

Awful. All they do is try to rip you off with the first chance they get. God forbid you make a mistake and forget to give them 30 day notice that you want to cancel that you are trapped in a new contract and they pull the money out of your account. And when you ask them what your options are to get out of the contract they basically tell you NONE with a smile on their faces. This is a company that has an awful business ethic. They trap you in a 3 year contract and then once you have no way out they turn from the nice sales people who convinced you to sign into jerks who could not care less if you come to their gym pissed off every day. Disgusting.

The Morristown TN location and their manager - Chad is the worst of all!! One of his employees told me over the phone once that I did not have to sign anything else in order to freeze 3 months of training sessions (I was pregnant) and then he (CHAD) tells me that I needed that and that and that (doctors note). When I told him that his own employee confirmed to me over the phone that nothing else was needed from me, Chad told me with a smile on his face "Do you have any proof?" DO NOT SIGN! Go jog or whatever else but you don't need them, trust me!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Fitness Center?

Original review: July 22, 2016

NFC is the worst gym I've ever experienced. The trainers don't bother to create a program just because you're paying them, they get something off the internet. The management sucks balls. Some guy named Steven told me I'd have to pay more if I wanted to change clothes there, if I wanted to swim, and if I wanted to learn how to lift a kettlebell.

Original review: July 14, 2016

Signature Club messed up when we gave them a new billing card. Cost us $30 for their mistake. Club management agrees it was their fault... Billing dept does not care. Too BAD!!

Original review: April 19, 2016

I realize it's my fault for getting locked into a contract BUT I feel conned. The guy told me I could cancel at any time for $195 but that's not the case. Also he said if I lost my job they would help me out with payments...also a lie. He said I could change my membership at any time. Well that was a lie too! I don't know where these people get off lying to sell a contract and putting people like me in a bind or how they sleep at night and I hope karma comes back for all of them one day. I haven't even had the membership 2 months and it's already about to go to collections because I lost my job.

On top of that, they're charging me for classes that I don't want nor can I use because I work during all the class times except for the 9 pm ones and that doesn't work for me because I work early each morning. If they would just let me switch my membership to the student one that is only $20 a month I would be fine but they are absolutely refusing to help me in any way possible. Every time I call membership services they say there isn't anything they can do and I should call the gym manager and when I call the gym manager he says it's up to them.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

I have been a member of the Sevierville NFC for 12 years. I credit the center with helping me become a stronger, healthier and happier person. I understand the frustrations some reviewers have experienced but the contract we sign explains all the rules. Any contract should be thoroughly read and any questions cleared up prior to signing. I highly recommend NFC to anyone who wants to improve their health.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

I moved out of state in November, 2015. I notified National Fitness the first week of December 2015. At that time I was told I needed to provide them with a copy of my lease agreement. I received a confirmation that they knew I had moved and were waiting on documentation. I had not found an apartment yet and was staying with friends. They would only accept a lease as documentation. Soon after, I rented an apartment (Dec 11, 2015). I was not given a copy of my lease signed by the resident management office until 12/28.

On the 28th, I provided them with documentation. I was assured that I would not be charged for January's fees, as I had clearly moved and given them the required documentation. On 12/30/15, I spoke to Rene who informed me that my lease was NOT adequate to cancel my membership. She claimed not to see a signature from a landlord on the lease. I referred her to the appropriate page. She claimed she did not receive that page. I resubmitted the lease that day. I called to make sure they received the 2nd submission. I also submitted a lease addendum and renters insurance, just in case.

When I called back I was told my first submission was adequate. I guess Rene doesn't know how to open attachments, or doesn't want to do her job (cancel people's memberships when they provide the necessary documentation). Maybe it's the company's policy to make cancelling so difficult, have so many steps, and require the customer to have to call back, resubmit and check on the status. I was still charged for membership fees in January regardless of my lengthy efforts to cancel my membership. I reported them to my credit card as an unauthorized purchase because I'm pretty sure they are a shady business that takes advantage of people.

National Fitness Center Company Information